Subject: FVWM: library problems

From: "Ahmed Aden" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 23:30:06 GMT

Hello,

I believe I have installed fvwm2 correctly without problems, but I am 
unsuccesfull when I try and run it.  I log into a Sun machine from a 
graphical interface (for lack of better terms) and I have a choice of only 
OpenWindows/CDE.  When I populate my .xinitrc file w/ this line:

'exec /usr/local/X11/bin/fvwm2'

I get this message:

ld.so.1: /usr/local/X11/bin/fvwm2: fatal: libXpm.so.4.11: open failed: No 
such file or directory
Killed

Consequently, when I take that line out, I can log into OpenWindows just 
fine. I'm sure this has to do with X libraries (if I'm wrong let me know:), 
but I don't seem to know what I can to do solve the problem.  Would this 
indicate a problem w/ the fvwm2 installation or problematic libraries?

I installed the pkg.tgz Solaris binary package, and (as root) used pkgadd to 
install it, and it seemed to install just fine.  Any help from fvwm2 gurus 
appreciated.

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Javier C. Tarradell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 00:32:12 +0100

> indicate a problem w/ the fvwm2 installation or problematic libraries?

The problem is that you do not have the XPM libraries instaled or at least
configured.
Try to see if libXpm.so.* is installed in the machine. If it is there ask your
system adm. to update the dinamyc library info.

If it is not there you can ask the admin. to install it. Or you can try to
recompile the fvwm without Xpm support ( I think that is possible ).

> install it, and it seemed to install just fine.  Any help from fvwm2 gurus

Ohhh, you are the root, then look for the xpm lib.

Bye,

    JCT only mortal :-DDD

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 18:50:21 -0500

> ld.so.1: /usr/local/X11/bin/fvwm2: fatal: libXpm.so.4.11: open failed: No 

The file "INSTALL.fvwm" explains what to do to fix this.
Look for "Shared Libraries in Non-standard Places".

> install it, and it seemed to install just fine.  Any help from fvwm2 gurus 

There is more information about your options with CDE in the FAQ at

http://www.fvwm.org/generated/FAQ.html

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 22:35:56 -0500

> install it, and it seemed to install just fine.  Any help from fvwm2 gurus

	My bet is that you simply don't have the Xpm package installed. Where'd
you fetch the binary from, The-Archive-Formerly-Known-As-Sunsite
(Metalab)? If so, I'm certain they'll have the version of the Xpm
package that your FVWM binary was linked against, and it should install
smoothly in the standard place. I've had very good luck with their
packages. (Wish they'd upgrade to a newer version of FVWM, though.)

	I believe somebody suggested you might try building FVWM from source
without xpm support. Naaah...only as a last resort. You'll be much
happier with xpm support, and there are many other apps that need it
also.

	Note that there's a discrepancy between the package nomenclature and
that of the libraries. The package named xpm-3.4k (or something like
that - the 3.4k is the part you want to look for) will produce the
library called libXpm.so.4.11.

Cheers,
Bob