Subject: FVWM: MouseOver/Focus event handler?

From: "Brennan Cropper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 13:04:18 +0000

Hi,

I've been using FVWM for quite some time now and love it.  After
experimenting with other wm's, I've come back to FVWM because it's the
best. :)  However, I would like to make FVWM mimic some behaviors of the
other wm's.

I'm trying to get FvwmIconMan to mimic the following behavior.  I have
IconMan situated at +0+0 and sticky on all desktops.  What I'd like for
it to be able to do is animatedly move off of the screen (to the left)
so that only a sliver of it appears running down the LHS of the screen. 
When the mouse moves over the sliver that is visible, IconMan would
animatedly move back out onto the screen.  Is this possible w/current
versions of FVWM?  I've studied the man pages, but can't find a mouse
over or focus event handler hook.

If that's not possible, my next approach would be to simply shade or
unshade the window based on whether or not the mouse is over the
window/titlebar.  Again though, I think I'd need a mouse over/focus
event handler for that behavior.

Otherwise, I'll just learn to live with double-clicking on the title bar
to shade and unshade it as needed.  Thanks for any help you guys can
provide.

Brennan
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 14:30:49 +0100

> to shade and unshade it as needed.  Thanks for any help you guys can

You can move IconMan out of the viewport, but you would still see it
on the pager:

  Next (FvwmIconMan) AnimatedMove -1023p 0

The FvwmEvent module allows handling the events you want.  I've posted
a similar setup a while ago (no earlier than September).  You should be
able to find it in the mailing list archive.  Search for 'FvwmButtons'
and 'WindowShade'.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 13:46:52 +0000

> over or focus event handler hook.
The module FvwmEvent can be used as a focus event hook.  Together with
the PassID option and the WindowId command you can build quite
sophisticated behaviour.
Try this in your .fvwm2rc file, the 1150 number is because my screen is
1152 pixels wide, this leaves two pixels of FvwmIconMan visible.

*FvwmEventPassId
*FvwmEvent focus_change my_focusevent

DestroyFunc my_focusevent
AddToFunc my_focusevent I WindowId $0 (!FvwmIconMan) AnimatedMove -1150p
0p
+                       I WindowId $0 (FvwmIconMan) AnimatedMove 0 0

AddToFunc StartFunction I FvwmEvent

---

From: Andreas Scherbaum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 12:30:25 +0100

Hello,

> *FvwmEventPassId
my manpage doesnt have this option?

> *FvwmEvent focus_change my_focusevent
i'm using a similar config but fvwm needs 1 - 1,5 seconds to give
the focus back to the actual window.
If i'm moving the mouse, the actual window gets the focus immediatly.
Any hints?

Regards

-- 

                                  ads
                                  Andreas Scherbaum

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 11:53:44 +0000

> my manpage doesnt have this option?

You need at least version 2.3.0 of fvwm2 for this.  If you do then maybe
your man pages aren't installed correctly or you MANPATH is wrong.

> If i'm moving the mouse, the actual window gets the focus immediatly.
I don't understand you problem. Could you send the relevant parts of you
config? FvwmEvent has a delay option (*FvwmEventDelay), have you set
this?

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Andreas Scherbaum <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 18:51:01 +0100

> your man pages aren't installed correctly or you MANPATH is wrong.
Ok.

----- cut -----
Style "FvwmPager"	NoTitle, NoHandles, Sticky, WindowListSkip,
BorderWidth 0, NakedTransient
Style "FvwmButtons"	NoTitle, NoHandles, Sticky, WindowListSkip,
BorderWidth 5, StaysOnTop
Style "FvwmButtons"	SloppyFocus
*FvwmButtons(2x1 Swallow "FvwmPager" "FvwmPager 0 0")
*FvwmEvent focus_change "function showhidebuttons"

AddToFunc showhidebuttons
 +     "I"     prev (CirculateHit FvwmButtons) Move -1019p -698p
 +     "I"     current (FvwmButtons) Raise
 +     "I"     current (FvwmButtons) Move +0p +0p
----- cut -----

This will put the pager in fvwmbuttons on the left top corner (on my
1024x768).
If the pager isnt active, only a few pixels will be visible.
Moving the mouse over the pager moves full pager on the desktop.
Now my problem: if fvwm2 changes the focus, the mouse cursor sometimes
is around a second busy.
No input is possible.
Has anyone a idea?

Regards

-- 

                                  ads
                                  Andreas Scherbaum