Subject: FVWM: Debug option

From: Subba Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 13:46:19 -0500

If I choose to use the debug option, where do the debug messages get logged?
Can I use xconsole to this advantage (for debugging)?

Thank you in advance.

Subba Rao
[email-masked]
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/

 => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
http://www.smcinnovations.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "shawn a." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 02:53:30 -0700

> Can I use xconsole to this advantage (for debugging)?
Hi, the man page says that the output goes to stderr so to display it in X 
you could try this:
% startx &>./debug_log

then once X is started bring up a terminal and do a:
% tail -f debug_log

then turn on FvwmDebug and let the fun begin :-)
good luck,
sa

---

From: Subba Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 07:07:08 -0500

> then turn on FvwmDebug and let the fun begin :-)

Thanks for replying. I login via XDM and not through startx. In this case, where
do I pipe the log messages?

Subba Rao
[email-masked]

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 08:36:04 -0500 (EST)

Previously...

>http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/

Can't you just redirect stderr from the command you use in your
.xsession or .Xclients file to start up fvwm2?

Something like:

exec fvwm2 > $HOME/.FVWM2-errors 2>&1

and then as suggested above tail -f .FVWM2-errors

or is this the wrong process?

Tom

---

From: Fuzzy Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 12:22:18 -0600

Subba Rao <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I login via XDM and not through startx.  In this case, where do I pipe
> the log messages?

Debug output of an XDM session is usually automatically sent to a file
called $HOME/.xsession-errors.  Check and see if that file exists; it
should have any error messages from client startup and running clients
in the current session.  But if you log out of X and go back in, the log
will be lost.

-- 
   [email-masked] (Fuzzy Fox)     || "Good judgment comes from experience.
sometimes known as David DeSimone  ||  Experience comes from bad judgment."
  http://www.dallas.net/~fox/      ||                 -- Life Lessons
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].