Subject: FVWM: General questions

From: "W. Michael Petullo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 22:36:45 -0500 (EST)

Greetings,

I am an old FVWM user who temporarily flirted with enlightenment.

I have began using FVWM again because of the relatively small memory
footprint.  I also like my window manager to be as unintrusive and elegant
as possible.  I am also trying to use FVWM-2 for the first time.

I have a few picky questions:

	o Is there a way _always_ use manual (active?) placement of new 
	windows?  A quick look at placement.c said no.
	
	o Is there a way to get windows to be rendered opaque while being
        manually placed?

	o Is there a way to get windows to be rendered opaque while being
	resized?  OpaqueResize did it for FVWM 1.x.

        o Is there a way to get rid of that size/resize box that appears 
	(around pixel 0,0) when moving a window?

	o Is there a way to force focus to certain windows, such as the 
	``Netscape:Open Page'' window in Navigator?  It would be nice to
	press Alt+O and begin typing without mousing the focus to the
	new window.  Note that in most other cases I really like my
	focus to follow my pointer.

Thank you all for any insight.

--
W. Michael Petullo

:wq

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 10:20:11 +0100

> 	windows?  A quick look at placement.c said no.

  Style * DumbPlacement, ActivePlacement

should do it.

> 	o Is there a way to get windows to be rendered opaque while being

No, because the window hasn't been properly set up yet when
you place the rubber band.

> 	resized?  OpaqueResize did it for FVWM 1.x.

Opauqe resizing has been revived recently.  It's in the latest betas
(2.3.10 is the last one), but you won't be happy with them as we are
still several serious bugs in them.

> 	(around pixel 0,0) when moving a window?

In the latest betas the 'HideGeometryWindow' command to do this.

> 	focus to follow my pointer.

Try

  Style * GrabFocusTransient

(also in the 2.3.x betas).

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].