Subject: FVWM: Simulating Mouse Clicks

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 04:08:53 -0330 (NST)

Hello,

I would like to ask a very simple question:
I am running Fvwm2 2.3.10 and have X11R6.3
(with the XKEYBOARD extension) installed on
my Linux box.

I would like to simulate mouse clicks as follows:

Meta_L ---> Right Mouse_Click
Meta_R ---> Middle Mouse Click
Menu   ---> Right Mouse Click

F10 ---> Right Mouse_Click
F11 ---> Middle Mouse Click
F12 ---> Right Mouse Click

What commands should I issue from within my window manager
configuration script for these key bindings to take place?
Can I do this with xmodmap? I've heared of the

xmodmap -e "keysym Num_Lock = Num_Lock Pointer_EnableKeys"

trick but it does not do exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks,

Neil
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Andrew Pimlott <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 10:18:00 -0500

>From what I've heard, the window manager can only generate "synthetic"
clicks, which are not honored by many applications.  The only way to
generate real clicks is with Pointer_EnableKeys, but the mapping for
that is not easily configurable AFAIK.

I agree this is stupid.  I often use fvwm keyboard mappings to move the
cursor and am often itching to click with the keyboard as well.

BTW, I found this:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/x-faq/part2/section-19.html

It suggests that Pointer_EnableKeys is configurable, but evidently
nobody has written a program to configure it.  Anyone?  ;)

Andrew

(Please Cc: me on replies; I'm not subscribed right now.)

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 17:15:08 +0100

> that is not easily configurable AFAIK.

I know I'm guilty of spreading this rumor too.  It's utter nonsense.
The events are *not* synthetic, and I guess if they were the
applications wouldn't care.  I've tried to write a 'ButtonClick'
function a while ago, and it works perfectly.  The reason why I
won't put it into fvwm is that this is very difficult to do right
in respect to events and module messages.  It will require lots
of carefully tinkered code that will easily break.  I've tried
it and I don't like it.  This could be written as a module, but
the fvwm core is the wrong place for it.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

> I agree this is stupid.

Not really.  What is stupid is that people like you and me keep
spreading this nonsense without double checking that it's true.
The X folks are not *this* stupid.  If this rumor were true, it
would not be possible to write a 'GUI macro recorder'.

>  I often use fvwm keyboard mappings to move the

I agree, it would be great if this were easily configurable.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].