Subject: FVWM: root shell

From: Gordon Still <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 06:53:11 -0600

I have seen this done somewhere but can not remember where.
I would like to have a menu item that will start xterm or rxvt as
root shell.  I have experimented with the options for xterm and rxvt
but nothing has worked.
-- 
+--------------------------------------------------------+
| "There you go man. Keep as cool as you can" -- G. Edge |
+------------------------------+-------------------------+
| Gordon Still                 |  Kool Eh!!              |
| Programmer/Analyst           |  Regina, Saskatchewan   |
| [email-masked]     |  Canada                 |
+------------------------------+-------------------------+
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 09:11:39 -0500

> root shell.  I have experimented with the options for xterm and rxvt

I think you are looking for:

AddToMenu MenuName "root window" Exec rxvt -name root -e su -

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 06 Nov 1999 10:14:15 -0500

%% Gordon Still <[email-masked]> writes:

  gs> I have seen this done somewhere but can not remember where.
  gs> I would like to have a menu item that will start xterm or rxvt as
  gs> root shell.  I have experimented with the options for xterm and rxvt
  gs> but nothing has worked.

There are various ways.  One fairly foolproof method is to use:

  xterm -e /bin/su -

(or rxvt).

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].