Subject: FVWM: Re: 2.2.4 build fails with native HPUX compiler

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 19:14:43 +0100

On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 12:15:05PM -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
> It sounds like your headders are broken.  Try runnin
> cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I..      -g -c -E ClientMsg.c > preprocess
> 
> That will just run the preporcessing step of the compiler then if you
> look in preprocess at the line being complained about you can work up
> and find the syntax error, from there find out which header has the
> syntax error, then see if the actual header has a #define that should be
> getting set by the compiler.

Hm, no syntax error.  Most likely the compiler is broken.  If I configure
with the HP-UX compiler but the use gcc to compile the output of the
preprocessing step I get no errors.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 13:32:38 -0500

> preprocessing step I get no errors.

Then the HP compiler is probablly not an ansi C compiler but a k&r so just 
go with gcc.

Brad
 
-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Fuzzy Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 12:59:05 -0600

Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> If I configure with the HP-UX compiler but the use gcc to compile the
> output of the preprocessing step I get no errors.

The HPUX compiler isn't ANSI by default.  Someday, hopefully, they will
change that.  But for now, ANSI compliance only is granted when using
the proper compiler switch.

Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Then the HP compiler is probablly not an ansi C compiler but a k&r so
> just go with gcc.

I find a great amount of success using a configure method like this:

    env CC=cc CFLAGS='-Ae -O' ./configure [--options]

Hope that helps.

-- 
   [email-masked] (Fuzzy Fox)     || "Good judgment comes from experience.
sometimes known as David DeSimone  ||  Experience comes from bad judgment."
  http://www.dallas.net/~fox/      ||                 -- Life Lessons
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 20:30:53 +0100

>     env CC=cc CFLAGS='-Ae -O' ./configure [--options]

Yes, thanks.  I wasn't aware that ANSI/K&R compatibility extends only
until the first function prototype is encountered :-)

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 30 Nov 1999 14:35:19 -0500

%% Fuzzy Fox <[email-masked]> writes:

  >> output of the preprocessing step I get no errors.

  ff> The HPUX compiler isn't ANSI by default.  Someday, hopefully, they
  ff> will change that.  But for now, ANSI compliance only is granted
  ff> when using the proper compiler switch.

GNU's autoconf stuff goes to great lengths to find the right switches to
enable ANSI-ification on the C compiler.  You shouldn't need to do
anything fancy to get this?

  >> Then the HP compiler is probablly not an ansi C compiler but a k&r so

  ff> I find a great amount of success using a configure method like this:

  ff>     env CC=cc CFLAGS='-Ae -O' ./configure [--options]

Is this with the native "cc" that comes free with the HP-UX system, or
with their unbundled "add-on" C compiler you have to buy separately?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Fuzzy Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 14:12:06 -0600

Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> GNU's autoconf stuff goes to great lengths to find the right switches
> to enable ANSI-ification on the C compiler.  You shouldn't need to do

Newer versions of autoconf do this quite well, but not every package one
finds on the net was built with the latest versions of autoconf.  If I
have problems building, forcing the '-Ae' switch is the first thing I
try.

> with their unbundled "add-on" C compiler you have to buy separately?

This is with the non-free compiler.  The "bundled" compiler is very
noisy and annoying about its inability to become ANSI compliant, giving
a message like this when you try to use -Ae:

    (Bundled) cc: warning 480: The -A option is available only with the
	C/ANSI C product; ignored.

If you see this, then you have little choice but to go with gcc.

If you (or whoever owns the box you're trying to build on) has paid the
money for the HP ANSI C compiler, you might as well make use of it.. 
eh?  :)