Subject: FVWM: Re: Fvwm Themes

From: Fabien VILLARD <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Nov 1999 14:52:23 +0100

>new "FVWM Themes" page could include more sample.fvwm2rc's that install without
>effort, and run efficiently for the "default user".
	So the "default user" must be defined in some way. That's seem a little
tricky to me :-)

>I for one am eager to see "true" fvwm themes developed and distributed widely.
>Even if it's just to show those kde guys what a WM can really do!  ;)
	:-)

	BTW what can we call "themes" ? Could we say, for example, that a set
of M4 pre-processed fvwmrc files is a theme concept ? I use that to change easely
colors, borders, buttons and so on, without changing the "feel" and functions. If
we add a way to change "on the fly" (reprocess the files whith other macros via
another M4 file, and restart/recapture) with a menu, does it do the thing ?
	Fab.

--- Excuse for the possible garbage below this line, I can't get it out. ---

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 09:03:49 -0500

Fabien VILLARD <[email-masked]> writes:
> of M4 pre-processed fvwmrc files is a theme concept ?

Why would M4 be a necessary part of themes?

Doesn't "sample.fvwmrc/decor_examples" qualify as a theme implementation?

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Alex Wallis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 00:08:38 +1030

> 	So the "default user" must be defined in some way. That's seem a little
Well I'd start by ensuring any themes posted must be understandable/decipherable
 by using _only_ the man pages provided with the WM. Also any "theme" should be
'easily' added into a config for that version of fvwm2 or better! (with
possible minor changes) To make the theme as accessible to any user of fvwm2.

> another M4 file, and restart/recapture) with a menu, does it do the thing ?
I don't think M4 is as commonly in use as Fabien obviously does. Any themes
that rely solely on M4 preprocessing would surely have to include more
explanation for the "default user" who probably has never heard of M4. But M4
versions of a theme could be an extra perhaps. 

>Doesn't "sample.fvwmrc/decor_examples" qualify as a theme implementation?

At least it's a suggestion for a starting point.....

I'm having a look at it now Dan. I'll let you know.

awol

"If a pickpocket meets a saint, he sees only his pockets."