Subject: FVWM: 2 Questions about themes implementation

From: Alex Wallis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:37:45 +1030

(Is this a valid theme implementation?)

I've attached a file for a form which can be invoked by the command
"Module FvwmForm ThemeOptions." in the usual fashion.
The form groups up to 5 colorsets under a "theme" name and saves
them to 2 files. Any number of "themes" can be loaded, edited, and saved at
any time, with multiple complex colorset options apparently OK.

The first file this form creates is  called .fvwm2_$(ThemeName).options
A set of strings to manipulate the colorsets. 
Which brings me to my first question.
Everything seems to work fine... so why am I getting these errors?
e.g.
ThemeOptions.: Active command unknown: *ThemeOptions.UseData .fvwm2_default.options *ThemeOptions.Default

I know I'm probably doing something in an unorthodox manner, and I've
certainly learned that syntax is all important to fvwm2. Can anyone explain?

The second file is the set of FvwmThemeColorset options suitable for reading
at the start of your .fvwm2rc in the format .fvwm2_theme.$(ThemeName)
So that's my next question. Now that I can create as many "themes" as I like,
as names instead of numbers, what exactly is the syntax for specifying
Read .fvwm2_theme.*
?
TIA

awol

"If you wear shoes, the whole world is paved with leather."

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 15:35:33 -0500

> ptions *ThemeOptions.Default

FvwmForm is complaining about receiving the UseData command
after it finished reading all its configuration commands.
Thats what the "Active command unknown" part is about.

As FvwmForm stands now, you have to exit and start a new FvwmForm
in order to read new data.  I'm not sure how you are going to
get the same form to read in different themes.  Perhaps you
can create a form for each on the fly?

Or, some code changes in FvwmForm might be in order.

> as names instead of numbers, what exactly is the syntax for specifying

I think you can get PipeRead to do this for you.

Beware of the PipeRead example in the  man page, when I just displayed
it under XEmacs with  M-x man, all the  good pieces of the example are
suppressed.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Alex Wallis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 14:30:09 +1030

> can create a form for each on the fly?
Oh, it loads the new themes fine, no problems! There's just this 
strange message in my logs when it does, that's all. Apart from that,
you can create, load, edit, save, as many 'themes' as you like.

> Or, some code changes in FvwmForm might be in order.
So my form is ok?

> I think you can get PipeRead to do this for you.
What exactly is the syntax, the man pages have examples that don't
actually work for me without 'tweaking'. 
> it under XEmacs with  M-x man, all the  good pieces of the example are
I'd suggest some more revamping of the man page, if anyone had the time.
With new features, come new routines etc... Some of the examples are
obviously past their 'use-by-date'. But someone is probably already
planning this...no?

awol

"If all the world's a stage, where do they put the horses?"

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 09:03:03 -0500

> actually work for me without 'tweaking'. 

I've updated  the man page in the  latest CVS.  (The JpgMenu example.)
The whole example will now get displayed, and it  worked for me when I
tested it.

I  think JpgMenu is close   enough to what you  want   to do that  you
shouldn't have a problem.

> obviously past their 'use-by-date'. But someone is probably already

Actually, I think we are pretty careful to keep the man pages current.

If you spot anything that doesn't seem right, please don't hesitate to
point it out.

> awol

 PS: I haven't tried your form yet, but I hope to get to it soon.