Subject: RE: FVWM: fvwm disappears!

From: Pete Forman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 10:20:40 GMT

>>>>> "erik" == esteffl  <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>> "Pete" == Pete Forman <[email-masked]> writes:

    erik>   I have a very strange problem with fvwm - quite often,
    erik> after coming back to work, I find that the fvwm
    erik> disappeared. there are no borders around the windows, pager
    erik> is gone, focusing does not work etc.

    erik>   I thought that the fvwm crashed but then I checked
    erik> 'ps -ef|grep fvwm' and I saw that all the fvwm processes are
    erik> running (fvwm itself and few modules).

    erik>   my configuration:
    erik>     fvwm 2.2.2
    erik>     solaris
    erik>     exceed (X server under windows NT)

    erik>   sometime we have network problems - is it possible for
    erik> fvwm to stop working after receiving timeout? or something
    erik> like that? other applications work (xterms, netscape etc.)

    Pete> I have seen that sort of problem with a similar setup.
    Pete> Maybe once in a couple of weeks.  I don't know if fvwm was
    Pete> still running but I'll try a restart next time.  My config
    Pete> is fvwm 2.1.10, Solaris 2.6, Exceed 6.0 on NT4 SP3.

For the record, I had another glitch this morning.  Fvwm disappeared
from the X display.  fvwm2 and the modules I used still showed up on
ps.  I tried "kill -USR1" on the fvwm2 process but this killed the
processes completely.  That command does normally work to restart
fvwm.
-- 
Pete Forman                        <mailto:[email-masked]>
Western Geophysical                           Tel: + 44 1234 224798
Manton Lane, Bedford, MK41 7PA, UK            Fax: + 44 1234 224804
<http://www.bedford.waii.com/wsdev/petef/PeteF_links.html>
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 16:01:07 +0100

> processes completely.  That command does normally work to restart

Pete, I still don't know what could be the cause of the problem.
Are there no traces of what has happened anywhere?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].