Subject: FVWM: FVWM configuration

From: Sampo Niskanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 20:27:14 +0200 (EET)

I have been using fvwm for a long time now and am quite impressed in the
number of options in the newer versions, but there still seems to be a few
things missing. If somebody can tell me how to configure any of the
following, I'd be very grateful. Otherwise, they might possibly be added
to some wish-list...?

- Can key binding be program-specific? My brother has configured his fvwm
so that alt-click anywhere on a window does the same as a click on the
top bar (raise, move, etc) and that would be very useful. But the problem
is that GIMP uses alt-click for it's own purposes and capturing them from
GIMP would limit it's functionality. Is it possible to set alt-clicks to
work in such a way for all except GIMP-windows?

- An old version (1.x I believe) with smartplacement set the first window
on a screen at position 0x0, the newer versions set it at 1x1. This I find
very irritating, as I can't just "throw" my cursor to the upper left and
get focus into the xterm there (my focus follows the mouse. I don't want
to use SloppyFocus). Is it possible to get fvwm not to leave these
empty-spaces?

- In an older version there was a "bug" that when sliding the mouse cursor
on the top of a window left or right (over the border) fvwm didn't scroll
to the next page (You had to move it at least one pixel down so that it
scrolled. The same was with the bottom edge. This, of course, only worked
on the upper page). It has, evidently, been fixed in a newer release, but
I find myself missing it. This would be nice so you could "throw" your
mouse northwest as I described previously on other pages than the leftmost
too.

Thanks.

  __________________________________________________
 /____\   Sampo Niskanen <=> [email-masked]  \
       \        http://www.iki.fi/sampo.niskanen     \
        \     ___________________________________________
         ___/___________________________________________/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 01:27:58 +0100

> work in such a way for all except GIMP-windows?

No, not yet.

> to use SloppyFocus). Is it possible to get fvwm not to leave these

Which version are you using? There was a similar bug in the code for a few
days recently, but you had had to access CVS to get this.

> mouse northwest as I described previously on other pages than the leftmost

Duh. How did you move back into the page if you didn't want to
flip pages?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Sampo Niskanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 19:27:28 +0200 (EET)

> days recently, but you had had to access CVS to get this.

Sorry, I'm using version 2.2.2 (coming along with Slackware 7.0, but the
same thing was also with an older fvwm2 version). Don't get me wrong: in
my opinion the windows should be set exactly on the border, the first one
at 0x0. Of course, somebody might like spaces between the windows and
borders, but I find it irritating.

> Duh. How did you move back into the page if you didn't want to

Oops. I meant "...on the top of a page...", not window. I don't quite
understand your question, perhapse you misunderstood my explanation also
(I realize it might be a bit confusing).

I use an EdgeResistance of 0 and EdgeScroll of 100 100. On the older
version (2.2.2 is the first one I've missed it. On an older fvwm2 it was
still there) when you slid the mouse cursor on the top (pixel 0) of a page
(a top page, otherwise it would have scrolled up) to the edge, it didn't
scroll (sideways). You had to move the cursor at least one pixel down
(pixel 1) to get it to scroll. Otherwise the scrolling worked fine.

What I suggest is a configurable option how many pixels around the corners
of the screen are "deactivated" from page flipping. It may sound like a
strange request, but I find it quite useful. Then again, it might not be
good for the corners where a page is diagonally located (the cursor would
get trapped in it when trying to move there). In that case you couldn't
slide it along the border to the corner anyway.

This version (I have not noticed it on any other) also seems to have a bug
conserning window movement. If you grab a window whilst moving the cursor 
the window lags behind the cursor quite badly.

If, for example, you grab a window while moving the mouse up and then stop
the mouse, the window moves less so that there are 10-100 pixels between
the cursor and the titlebar. The faster you move the mouse, the more space
it lags. I have only noticed it in function with Move as the Motion ("M")
-action. It seems like fvwm "forgets" the movement that the mouse already
has moved at the point when it activates the Motion-action (Move) and
starts moving the window.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:54:36 +0100

> borders, but I find it irritating.

I didn't try 2.2.x, but in the 2.3.x betas it's definitely fixed.

> slide it along the border to the corner anyway.

I think we won't need an option here.  The new 2.3.x code won't move the
window over the page boundary as long as you keep the pointer moving
fast enough. This should allow you what you want (with a bit of practice)
while still fixing that weird 'move back one pixel' bug.

> concerning window movement. If you grab a window whilst moving the cursor 

Yes, I guess I've hear this a thousand times now :-) It's fixed in 2.3.x.
Not that this ever happened on my machine. I guess it has something to do
with the X server.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Sampo Niskanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 00:05:34 +0200 (EET)

> while still fixing that weird 'move back one pixel' bug.

I hope that will be configurable. I like the consept of paging because it
gives me more desk space (I have 8x2 pages, of which I sometimes use about
10) and I want to be able to move about them as fast as I can move withing
one page (almost), so I don't want anything resisting my movement between
pages (unless I specifically want it, as in the top corners).