Subject: FVWM: Mouse focus problems with xemacs

From: Richard Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 00:16:32 -0700 (PDT)

I'm not completely sure this is a bug in fvwm2, but it's not a problem 
with twm.  I'm trying to make my way through the fvwm2 code (which
badly needs more commenting!), but thought I'd see if anyone else has
seen this as well.

Open an xemacs window.  Now execute "make-frame" to open another frame 
on top of your current one.  Now iconify the top frame by executing
the "Iconify" function while your mouse is inside the window.  (I
bound "Iconify" to mouse button 1 along with alt.)
When the top frame disappears and is iconified, the lower frame should 
automatically get the keyboard focus.  It doesn't.  The keyboard focus 
is still with the window which is now iconified!  Moving the mouse out 
of the window and back in again corrects the problem.

Has anyone else seen this?  Is there some configuration which I'm
missing which corrects it?  (I'd hate to spend a lot of time trying to 
fix a "bug" only to find it's my configuration. :-)  Does anyone have
any pointers on where to look for the problem?

Incidently, if the window below is some other program it gets keyboard 
focus just fine, so it must have something to do with the way fvwm2
handles multiple windows which are all part of the same program.

Any input or hints would be appreciated.

I'm not on this mailing list (yet), so please respond to me
personally.  If there's interest, and if I find the cause of the
problem, I'll mail the list.

Thanks.

/raj
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Richard Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 02:15:33 -0700 (PDT)

Dominik Vogt writes:
 > I have no idea what your problem is. With the current development
 > code I can't see it. What is your fvwm version and what focus policy
 > are you using? Possibly this was a bug in some older fvwm version.

Version 2.2.2.  Focus policy is "sloppyfocus", but "focusfollowsmouse" 
seems to operate the same way.  You must have your mouse inside the
emacs window and position that window on top of the other emacs window 
such that when you iconify the top emacs window, the mouse now appears 
on top of the other emacs window without having moved the mouse.

/raj

---

From: Richard Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 02:24:13 -0700 (PDT)

Actually, I just now saw that while this is a problem with xemacs
version 20.4, it doesn't seem to be a problem with version 19.34.1
running on a solaris system.  It may be an emacs problem.

/raj

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 10:51:58 +0200

> handles multiple windows which are all part of the same program.

Unlikely. Fvwm doesn't care which application started a window.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brian Servis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 09:28:52 -0500 (EST)

*- On  1 Oct, Richard Johnson wrote about "Re: FVWM: Mouse focus problems with xemacs"
> running on a solaris system.  It may be an emacs problem.

Fvwm 2.2, Xemacs 20.4 and SloppyFocus works for me on Debian 2.1.

-- 
Brian 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Mechanical Engineering                              [email-masked]
Purdue University                   http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis
---------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Fuzzy Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 12:57:31 -0500

> on top of the other emacs window without having moved the mouse.

What about when you have two unrelated windows on top of each other, and
you iconify the top one?  Does the bottom one receive focus?

-- 
   [email-masked] (Fuzzy Fox)      || "Just about every computer on the market
sometimes known as David DeSimone  ||  today runs Unix, except the Mac (and
  http://www.dallas.net/~fox/      ||  nobody cares about it). -- Bill Joy '85
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Richard Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 11:25:17 -0700 (PDT)

> you iconify the top one?  Does the bottom one receive focus?

Yes.  That works correctly.

/raj

---

From: Richard Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 11:42:43 -0700 (PDT)

> Fvwm 2.2, Xemacs 20.4 and SloppyFocus works for me on Debian 2.1.

That sounds like it matches my setup completely.  I don't get it.  I
even removed my .emacs file in case I was doing something strange
there and with a vanilla xemacs it still does it.

Oh well...  I give up for now.  Maybe I'll revisit it later.

/raj