Subject: FVWM: why was SaveUnders removed?

From: "Jon A. Christopher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 20:10:10 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,

I'm wondering why SaveUnders was removed from FVWM.  It's there in 1.24r,
but not in the current version.  This is a step backwards, IMHO, because
SaveUnders can sometimes be quite useful, particularly in applications
which have 3D graphics windows which are expensive to redraw.  Because of
the lack of SaveUnders in FVWM, there are two expensive redraw operations
(~1/sec) apeice in my application everytime a dialog is popped up.
neither AfterStep, nor twm suffers from this problem, but FVWM is my WM of
choice.

Please add the SaveUnders code back into FVWM.  It's a simple code change,
and well worth having the ability to do so.

Configuration: RH Linux 5.2, fvwm 2.0.46, XF86 3.3.5.

P.S. Please CC any replies to me, since I'm not on this list.

Regards,
Jon Christopher

-- 
Dr. Jon A. Christopher              / [email-masked] |  Project URLs:
Department of Biochem./Biophys.    /  spock: http://quorum.tamu.edu/spock
Texas A&M University MS-2128      / lesstif: http://www.lesstif.org/
College Station, TX, 77843       / personal: http://quorum.tamu.edu/jon

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Fuzzy Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 22:48:19 -0500

Jon A. Christopher <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I'm wondering why SaveUnders was removed from FVWM.

While we're on the subject, I'll add that I also miss the other option
that was removed, "BackingStore".  As part of my work, I often find
myself exporting windows to my screen, over a 64K ISDN connection. 
Believe me, backing store makes quite a difference for these apps, even
though they are simple xterms!  They don't request the backing store
themselves, though, so having FVWM do it on their behalf is quite nice! 

I find myself switching back to fvwm 1.24 whenever I need to run these
apps over my ISDN connection, then switching back to fvwm2 when
finished.

Is there some way to add BackingStore back again, especially as a Style
option?  That would be super!  There are some windows I don't want to
enable BackingStore on, and so a Style option for that would be great.

-- 
   [email-masked] (Fuzzy Fox)      || "Good judgment comes from experience.
sometimes known as David DeSimone  ||  Experience comes from bad judgment."
  http://www.dallas.net/~fox/      ||                 -- Life Lessons
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 21:05:29 -0400

> P.S. Please CC any replies to me, since I'm not on this list.

I  assume when   you  mention the   "current version",  you don't mean
2.0.46.  The current non-beta is 2.2.3 and the current beta is 2.3.10.

I'm curious, how do you know SaveUnders is removed?

Somewhere around 2.3.5 SaveUnders was removed as a configuration option,
but I still see code that sets the SaveUnders attribute.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Jon A. Christopher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 20:26:04 -0500 (CDT)

> 2.0.46.  The current non-beta is 2.2.3 and the current beta is 2.3.10.

Nither the 2.0.46 version or the current CVS snapshot has SaveUnders.

> I'm curious, how do you know SaveUnders is removed?

Because I checked the source.  SaveUnders is not allowed as an option in
the .fvwmrc files any more, nor is it set in add_window.c.

> but I still see code that sets the SaveUnders attribute.

The only place in the current CVS version of FVWM where CWSaveUnder is
used is in builtins.c (turned off) and menus.c (turned on for fvwm menus).

If SaveUnder is good enough to use for FVWM menus, why can't I use it in
my applications?!  Why was the SaveUnder code removed from add_window.c?
Since the WM reparents my windows *without* SaveUnders, nothing I can do
will work around this.  Argh.

Thanks,
Jon

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 21:38:17 -0400

> the .fvwmrc files any more, nor is it set in add_window.c.

OK.

> will work around this.  Argh.

Back in 96 there was some reference to the lack of style flags.
Now, I guess, there is no reason...