Subject: FVWM: DynamicPopupAction

From: Jason Kibblewhite <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 09:54:32 -0600

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question as it may be more of a
obvious solution then I can find.

I've done a quick hack on the wmheadlines thing to grap fm, slashdot,
linuxtoday, etc. headlines and place them in my fvwm menu.  Well then
they make menus that fvwm understands and they launch netscape and all.
However I'm unable to get fvwm to read the changed menus using
DynamicPopupAction.

I've looked over and over the man page and I'm sure it looks right.  If
I do a restart it reads it the first time but it never changes if I open
the menu again, and I know that the info has been updated.

Here are the relevent lines from my .fvwm2rc
DestroyMenu Headlines
AddToMenu Headlines Headlines Title
+ "Freshmeat"           Popup Freshmeat
+ "Slashdot"               Popup Slashdot
+ "Linux Today"       Popup LinuxToday

AddToMenu Freshmeat
+ DynamicPopupAction read .freshmeatmenu
AddToMenu Slashdot
+ DynamicPopupAction read .slashdotmenu
AddTomenu LinuxToday
+ DynamicPopupAction read .linuxtodaymenu

Looks right to me from the man page.  Also I've never been able to get
the fvwm_browse_menu.sh to ever work.

And here is the info that the menu has.

DestroyMenu Freshmeat
AddtoMenu Freshmeat "Freshmeat Headlines [10-23-1999, 9:43AM]"  Title
+ "Flight Gear 0.7.1" Exec netscape -remote
openURL\(http://freshmeat.net/news/1999/10/23/94067789
6.html, new-window\)
+ "Heretic for Linux 1.0.1" Exec netscape -remote
openURL\(http://freshmeat.net/news/1999/10/23/94
0677141.html, new-window\)
+ "isapnptools 1.19" Exec netscape -remote
openURL\(http://freshmeat.net/news/1999/10/23/940676918

etc...

--
This is my .sig, pretty dull eh

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 16:49:39 -0400

Jason Kibblewhite wrote:
> 
> ...I'm unable to get fvwm to read the changed menus using
> DynamicPopupAction.
> 
> If I do a restart it reads it the first time but it never
> changes if I open the menu again, and I know that the info
> has been updated.

	I've not tried this feature, so I really don't know what I'm talking
about (so what's new?), but if I'm reading the man page right, here's
what's wrong.

	The first time you pop it up, you're destroying the DynamicPopupAction
along with the menu; from there on, it will never be executed, and
you'll just keep seeing the same old stuff.

	Try adding the optional "recreate" keyword to your DestroyMenu (in
.freshmeatmenu or whatever) and see if that corrects the problem.
Alternatively, right after the DestroyMenu, you need to add another
DynamicPopupAction command.

Cheers,
Bob

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:13:57 +0200

> the fvwm_browse_menu.sh to ever work.

Hello,
Seems that there is a missprint in the man page, try:

AddToMenu BrowseMenu 
+ DynamicPopupAction Piperead fvwm_make_browse_menu.sh BrowseMenu
                                                       ^^^^^^^^^^
Olivier