Subject: FVWM: *FvwmIconMan*Resolution

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 14:42:00 +0100

Does anyone know how this works?  I'm trying to get two lists of
windows: one showing the contents of the current desk and the other
showing the contents of the other desks. I though I could do it with:

*FvwmIconMan*NumManagers 2
*FvwmIconMan*1*Resolution desk
*FvwmIconMan*2*Resolution global

but manager 2 doesn't show anything. I could do it with two separate
FvwmIconMan's but the second one would show all the windows including
those on the current desk.

Cheers,
Tim.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 22:41:05 -0700

Previously...
>those on the current desk.

AFAIK, it *doesn't* work. I asked Brady about this about two years ago
and he indicated that it's something he hadn't counted on. The trouble
is that iconman has to know to which manager a window belongs for
management. That decision is based solely on the show/dontshow lists.
Resolution only comes into play after the show/dontshow lists have
determined what manager owns a window. Only one manager can own a
window.

I finally wrote an unofficial patch to iconman to do this. It ain't
pretty, but it does work, except some problems with followsfocus not
displaying the correct focus at times.

http://www.best.com/~mikehan/iconman.diff

What I ended up doing was enabling iconman to run under aliases and
creating new resolutions, !desk and !page. Bleh. Not the right way to
do it, but I wasn't about to start messing with the right fix, since
it looked like a fairly major overhaul.

I don't suppose you have any ideas? It'd be nice if there were an
official fix to this one.
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"Life sucks and I haven't seen the sun in 9 months...  but the coffee
better be good or you're dead." - Seattlite
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 04:43:51 +0200

> those on the current desk.

I'd say that's a bug.  Specifying different resolutions for
multiple managers seems to cause all but the first manager
to be empty.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 11:31:32 +0100

> displaying the correct focus at times.
I've applied this, it works nicely thanks.

Cheers,
Tim.