Subject: FVWM: WindowPlacement

From: Staffan Hämälä <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 10:08:23 +0200

Hi,

Is there a way to force a window to do a placement of itself
after it has been initially opened.
For example, I would like to do this when I reopen iconified
windows, and maybe even make a keybinding that would force
the window to move to a position where there is an empty
place, like new windows do when I have the following styles
set up:
Style "*" SmartPlacement
Style "*" RandomPlacement

Thanks,
      Staffan
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 11:51:30 +0200

> Style "*" RandomPlacement

Yes.  The "PlaceAgain" command can help you (new in the 2.3.x
betas).  With the function below you will get the behaviour
you want when you left-click on an icon:

  AddToFunc IconFunc
  + C PlaceAgain
  + C Iconify off
  ...

  Mouse 1 I     A   Function IconFunc

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Staffan Hämälä <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 18:54:04 +0200

> you want when you left-click on an icon:

Thanks! It works just great =)

Now that I got to install 2.3.8 I might as well report a couple
of bugs I found:

1. When I do a "Restart WM" all iconified windows disappears on the
screen. This doesn't happen in 2.2.2. Actually the windows are still
there (I can open them by clicking in the WindowList) but they aren't
visible on the screen. FvwmPager sees them though. =)

2. WindowList doesn't show separators between the windows of different
virtual screens any more. I get a long list with all windows that I
have, but I can't see whick ones that are located in which virtual
screen. I run it with: WindowList NoGeometry.

Other than that it seems to work really well.

Btw, I have a question that might not be something that fvwm can change
or not (it might be the X server that is responsible). Does anyone know
if there is a way to make keyboard commands go to the active window
even when the mouse isn't over it? I use the keyboard a lot, and sometimes
it's annoying when I have to move the mouse to do a Shift-insert (to
insert copied text), or F11 (that I've bound to iconify) for example.

/Staffan

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 13:10:32 -0400

> insert copied text), or F11 (that I've bound to iconify) for example.

Check the man page for the various focus policies, you might find
one you want.

I prefer mousefocus myself.  If your problem is the pointer getting
in the way, track down "unclutter".  It makes the pointer disappear
after some amount of time passes without the pointer moving.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Staffan Hämälä <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 08:32:14 +0200

> after some amount of time passes without the pointer moving.

No, that's not what's causing the trouble. I have the focusing set
up as I want (ie clicktofocus), and that works for text and everything
else except for the keyboard commands I have set up. For example
I have F11 set to iconify, and F12 to maximize. They work as long
as the mousepointer is positioned over the window, but when it's not,
I just get "4~" for F12 and "3~" for F11 entered as text. Also shift-
insert also only works when the mouse is positioned over the window.
I believe this might be something that's caused by the X server, not
fvwm, but I just wanted to ask to see if anyone else has a solution.

This is probably only a problem for people not using focusfollowsmouse.
I guess you'll see this both if you use sloppyfocus and clicktofocus.
(when you can type in a window without the mouse being positioned over
it.

A actually just noticed that I can set up
"Key F11 A N Iconify" that makes things work as I want it to do. I had
W(indow) instead of A(nywhere) there before. Now it iconifies the window
that is active. This doesn't solve shift-insert though. Does anyone have
a solution to that one?

/Staffan

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 10:11:29 +0100

> screen. I run it with: WindowList NoGeometry.

There was a complaint that the separators were confusing with the
NoGeometry option so I removed them.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 12:11:22 +0200

> visible on the screen. FvwmPager sees them though. =)

Can you try if this bug persists with a current development
snapshot?  If it does, please describe your setup exactly. What
I need to know is which command your 'Restart WM' issues (there
are several options) and where exactly your icons and the
corresponding windows are placed (desk and page; do the
offending windows reach over the page boundaries?)

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Staffan Hämälä <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 15:38:41 +0200

> NoGeometry option so I removed them.

Ok.. =)

In that case, I have another suggestion. As I find the geometry stuff
shows me a bit too much information, and the one thing I like about
it is that it shows me which windows that are iconified (and maybe
the desk number that I guess the complaint you talk about was all
about), may I suggest a new option for WindowList.

* When using NoGeometry, you don't know which desktop number each
  of the windows are located on.
* The window number row at the left edge of the menu is not really
  that useful (at least I still haven't found a use for it).
Taking these two things into consideration I would suggest adding
the desktop number at the left side of the first of the items for
each desktop.
Also, placing the parenthesises around the programname instead of
the gemetries, so that they are visible even when you don't want
to see the geometrics.

A drawing:

 ------------------------------- -----------
 Desk 3                          Geometry
 ------------------------------- -----------
 1  Rxvt                         80x24+1+342
    Netscape                     xxxxxxxxxxx
    Rxvt (rincewind.dc.luth.se)  xxxxxxxxxxx
 ------------------------------- -----------
 2  Rxvt                         xxxxxxxxxxx
    Rxvt                         xxxxxxxxxxx
    Rxvt                         xxxxxxxxxxx
   (Rxvt)                        xxxxxxxxxxx
   (Rxvt)                        xxxxxxxxxxx
 ------------------------------- -----------
 5  Knews                        xxxxxxxxxxx
    Mutt mailer                  xxxxxxxxxxx
 ------------------------------- -----------

An alternative would be to have the window number listed to the
left (as it is now):

 --------------------------------- -----------
   Desk 3                          Geometry
 --------------------------------- -----------
 1. 1:Rxvt                         80x24+1+342
 2.   Netscape                     xxxxxxxxxxx
 3.   Rxvt (rincewind.dc.luth.se)  xxxxxxxxxxx
 --------------------------------- -----------
 4. 2:Rxvt                         xxxxxxxxxxx
 5.   Rxvt                         xxxxxxxxxxx
 6.  (Rxvt)                        xxxxxxxxxxx
 7.  (Rxvt)                        xxxxxxxxxxx
 --------------------------------- -----------
 8. 5:Knews                        xxxxxxxxxxx
 9.   Mutt mailer                  xxxxxxxxxxx
 --------------------------------- -----------

Or something similar... =)

What do you think about this?

/Staffan

---

From: [email-masked] (Danny Dulai)
Date: 7 Oct 1999 14:07:26 -0000

>(when you can type in a window without the mouse being positioned over

I have shift-f2 bound to running FvwmIdent, and with sloppyfocus, if i hit
shift-f2, whether I'm over or not over the window, it still pops up info
for the window with focus. FvwmIdent might be diff situation tho since its
a module and probably looks for the window with focus.

-- 
___________________________________________________________________________
Danny Dulai                                           Feet. Pumice. Lotion.
http://www.ishiboo.com/~nirva/                            [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Håvard Fosseng <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Oct 1999 16:27:30 +0200

>   that useful (at least I still haven't found a use for it).

Useful when you invoke the menu with the keyboard, with the intent of
jumping to a particular window. (I do this quite often.)

- Håvard Fosseng

---

From: Staffan Hämälä <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 19:12:27 +0200

On Thu, 07 Oct 1999, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> This works if you use the 'S' context.  It's a bit cryptic and
> completely undocumented.  Took me half an hour digging through
> the code :-)  I've added a line in the man page.

Thanks!

'SW' works just as I want it to do. =)

/Staffan

---

From: Staffan Hämälä <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 19:22:14 +0200

> offending windows reach over the page boundaries?)

I've now downloaded the latest CVS, and am now running it.
The problem persists. I've also done some testing to see
exactly when it happens.

1. Start X without starting unnecessary programs.
2. Start for example an rxvt and iconify it.
3. Switch to a virtual screen other than 0.
4. Restart windowmanager (I have Restart fvwm2 as a menu choice)
5. Voila. The iconified window is gone. It still shows up in
   WindowList and in FvwmPager though.

How to get the icons to reappear:

Either get them to pop up by using WindowList, or:

1. Switch to virtual screen number 0
2. Restart windowmanager.

As far as I can see, the icons don't disappear as long as I
look at screen 0 when I restart the windowmanager.

I have fvwm set up with eight virtual screens that are all
the size of the physical screen.

Hope this helps, because I have absolutely no idea about where
to start chasing this in the sourcecodes..

/Staffan

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 16:22:39 +0200

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Bob van der Poel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 22:21:56 -0600

> >> after some amount of time passes without the pointer moving.

Is 'unclutter' a XFree option (can't find it in the docs), or is a new
item in fvwm? If so, what version do I need to get it...sounds like
something I've been looking for for a long time.

-- 
   __
  /  )      /         Bob van der Poel
 /--<  ____/__        [email-masked]
/___/_(_) /_)         http://users.uniserve.com/~bvdpoel

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 13:38:48 -0400

> something I've been looking for for a long time.
no its a seperate app. 
ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/X11/R6-contrib/utilities/unclutter-8.tar.Z (13K)
 
-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: jason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 13:04:15 -0500 (CDT)

I tracked it down via google, and since it was pretty difficult to find a
version that would compile correctly for me (Linux), I thought I'd post
the link I found for others to use:

http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/hppd/hpux/X11/Desktop/unclutter-1.08/

It's neither an XFree86 nor an fvwm option -- it's a standalone program.
And it works like a charm.  :-)

-jason

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 14:01:00 -0400

Bob van der Poel <[email-masked]> writes:
> Dominik Vogt wrote:
> > 
> > On 10/07/99, Staffan Hämälä said:

I don't know what 'XFree' is, but you can find unclutter at

ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/utilities

---

From: Fuzzy Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 16:15:24 -0500

jason <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> It's neither an XFree86 nor an fvwm option -- it's a standalone
> program.  And it works like a charm.  :-)

I've been using unclutter for years, but on every platform I've run it
on, it seems to run into some sort of condition where it stops removing
the pointer... sometimes right away, sometimes after several hours of
running perfectly.  I have to stop and restart it.

This doesn't have much to do with fvwm, though... unless, dare I
suggest, that fvwm could incorporate this functionality, somehow?  Oohh..

-- 
   [email-masked] (Fuzzy Fox)      || "Just about every computer on the market
sometimes known as David DeSimone  ||  today runs Unix, except the Mac (and
  http://www.dallas.net/~fox/      ||  nobody cares about it). -- Bill Joy '85
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 08 Oct 1999 17:30:50 -0400

>> program.  And it works like a charm.  :-)

  ff> I've been using unclutter for years, but on every platform I've
  ff> run it on, it seems to run into some sort of condition where it
  ff> stops removing the pointer... sometimes right away, sometimes
  ff> after several hours of running perfectly.  I have to stop and
  ff> restart it.

FWIW, I've been running it for years, too, on _many_ different
platforms, and it's never once hung up for me (and I leave my system on
for weeks at a time).

Make sure you're using the latest version, that's about all I can
suggest... :(

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob van der Poel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 16:09:22 -0600

> Make sure you're using the latest version, that's about all I can

Thanks for the pointer. Got 1.08 running...works great.

Now, a question about xearth... I have a line in my fvwm2rc file:

	AddToFunc InitFunction
		"I" Exec exec xearth -grid
		...more things, including unclutter

I've just noticed that after I exit my fvwm session xearth is still
running. If I restart, I get a 2nd (3rd, etc) copy of xearth running.
I'm sure it didn't used to do this.... any idea why it doesn't want to
die. BTW, I tried with the -fork option and it didn't make any
difference.

I just tried it by starting xearth manually from an xterm, and it does
die when exiting fvwm. I'm using 2.2.