Subject: FVWM: bug dragging stuff off the pager?

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 23:34:44 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I've been using the same config from fvwm 2.0.46 up through now. The
fvwm2's installed default with RedHat 5.2 and 6.0 both worked fine with
this configuration (RH6.0 used fvwm 2.2). However on RH6.1 (which uses
fvwm 2.2.2) I have a problem when dragging windows out of the pager and
onto my current desk (which as I realized today, is something I do
extremely often ;)

If I grab a window in the pager and start to drag it around within the
pager, it works just fine. As soon as the mouse leaves the pager (while
still dragging) the window does not magically appear at the mouse cursor
for my placement on the current page. It seems that it stays on the page
that it was originally in, however it moves with the movement of my mouse
(as though there isn't any calculation of the geometry or something to
place it on the current page). 

I checked the bug database and didn't see anything like this there. I
haven't been actively reading the list in ages, so I'm sorry if this is a
known bug. Currently, the pager is my favorite and most used feature in
fvwm2, along with the raise-lower toggle which I bind to my win95 key ;) I
would use gnome except enlightenment is slow and has a virtually useless
pager (same goes with KDE). Fvwm kicks total ass!
			-peace

--- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK ------------+-----------
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) | "In the morning glad I see
P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K? w++++  |  My foe outstrech'd beneath the tree."
O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5   |               -The Poison Tree
X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>*  h*(!) r-  |                William Blake
y*(+) ------ END GEEK CODE BLOCK -----+

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 05:43:29 +0200

> place it on the current page). 

This is a known bug in 2.2.2.  It is already fixed in the development
sources.

> pager (same goes with KDE).

> Fvwm kicks total ass!

Yours or that of other window managers? ;-)

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 00:20:02 -0400 (EDT)

> This is a known bug in 2.2.2.  It is already fixed in the development

cool! Will there be a 2.2.3 out anytime soon, or should I roll back to
2.2.1 in the mean time (or even 2.2... I REALLY use that feature :)

> Yours or that of other window managers? ;-)

Other window managers of course ;) I first found the joy of fvwm with
1.23b(?) and have been using it ever since. I've been thrilled to see that
chuck handed off development to a team of people that could handle it and
carry fvwm2 towards a healthy future! I have yet to find another window
manager that works as well as fvwm2, is as fast as fvwm2, and is as damned
flexible as fvwm2. Maybe I should just update my config and make it
prettier. I can't wait till fvwm2 is gnome compliant (having a desktop is
a wonderfully nice thing).
			-peace

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 07:17:42 +0200

> 2.2.1 in the mean time (or even 2.2... I REALLY use that feature :)

I'm just trying to build 2.2.3, but my c++ compiler doesn't work at the
moment.  Anyway, 2.2.3 will not have this fixed.  We are currently
preparing for the next major release (2.4).  It may take a while though.
 
Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Staffan Hämälä <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 09:21:55 +0200

> place it on the current page). 

I tried the same thing right now, and also noticed a strange behaviour,
though not exactly the same as you get.
When the mousepointer leaves the pager, I get to see the window under
the mousepointer for just an instant, and it disappears.
Similarly to the bug I found in the last beta (though I'm running 2.2.2
here) the window seems to get iconified, but the icon and label is
actually not shown anywhere, but I can get access the window by using
the WindowList.

Anyone else noticing this behaviour?

/Staffan

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:38:57 +0200

> actually not shown anywhere, but I can get access the window by using

As I mentioned before, this is *alrady fixed* in the 2.3.x betas.

Bye

Dominik ^_^