Subject: FVWM: close behaviour in fvwm

From: Shao Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:26:37 +1000

Hi,
	I am sure I have missed some docs, so please excuse me now.
	This is not happened to me in fvwm1 days, but...

	I have bound my F10 key to close the window using the following:

	Key F10   A    N    Close

	But after starting one of the icq programs, such as licq or
	gnomeicu, then press F10 to close the xterm, it will kill the
	icq programs as well.

	I have also noticed that, it does not happen with other
	programs, such as running another xterm.

	Is this a icq problem or fvwm2 problem? I am sure this did not
	happen in fvwm1 days....

	Thanks in advance.
Shao.

-- 
____________________________________________________________________________
Shao Zhang - Running Debian 2.1  ___ _               _____
Department of Communications    / __| |_  __ _ ___  |_  / |_  __ _ _ _  __ _ 
University of New South Wales   \__ \ ' \/ _` / _ \  / /| ' \/ _` | ' \/ _` |
Sydney, Australia               |___/_||_\__,_\___/ /___|_||_\__,_|_||_\__, |
Email: [email-masked]                                                  |___/ 
_____________________________________________________________________________
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:29:10 +0200

> 	Is this a icq problem or fvwm2 problem? I am sure this did not

How do you start your icq programs?  Directly from your xterm?
With nohup?  In the background?  Unless configured otherwise your
shell will send a sighup to all its children in the background
when it's terminated.  You can configure your shell to exit
without doing this.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Shao Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 14:34:47 +1000

Hi,
	Thanks for the reply.

	I fork them to background immediately after start up.

	shao:/home/shao$ licq &
	[1] 8950

	But typing exit in xterm won't kill licq. I will try your
	suggestions.

Cheers,

Shao.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 06:25:21 +0200

> 	But typing exit in xterm won't kill licq. I will try your

Strange.  Does the licq vanish if you kill the shell or the xterm
with 'kill -9'?

---

From: Shao Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 17:02:34 +1000

> Strange.  Does the licq vanish if you kill the shell or the xterm

	No. It stays with kill -9. I have tried this with both bash and
	zsh. I also tried to run emacs from the xterm, and it has the
	same behaviour. It is nothing really important, but I just want
	to find out why....

---

From: Shao Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 17:52:03 +1000

Hi,
	I don't have the Delete key binded. So I just quickly changed
	the fvwmrc file to have F11 to do that. And Both Delete and
	Destory killed the children.

Shao.

Dominik Vogt [[email-masked]] wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 1999 at 05:02:34PM +1000, [email-masked] wrote:
> And what happens if you use 'Delete' or 'Destroy' instead of 'Close'?
> I guess this will happen with 'Destroy' but not with 'Delete'.
> 
> Bye
> 
> Dominik ^_^
> 
> --

---

From: Jason Kibblewhite <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 02:17:46 -0600 (MDT)

> > > > > 	But typing exit in xterm won't kill licq. I will try your

Well hardly being the expert here but all the window managers that I've
tried also do this.  Those including Window Maker, AfterStep, E, TWM,
Olvwm and a few others hardly worth mentioning.  I just use the start from
xterm and exit the xterm which seems to work just fine for me.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 08:57:57 +0200

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 09:33:14 +0100

> xterm and exit the xterm which seems to work just fine for me.

It probably depends on your shell and how it behaves when recieving
signals, it might depend on you terminal emulator but I expect they all
behave the same, it won't depend on your window manager.

When your terminal emulator is killed by the window manager it will send
a -HUP signal to the shell it is running. Most shells react to -HUP by
killing all their children (with -HUP so it can propogate) and exiting.
Killing the shell -KILL will just kill it with no chance of it being
able to interfere with its children. Exiting a shell may or may not kill
its children, it depends on the shell and is probably configurable.

You can prevent -HUP from propogating to children with the nohup command
though it tends to create nohup.out files.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:43:25 +0200

> xterm and exit the xterm which seems to work just fine for me.

Well, it's not a problem of the window manager at all.  Although I may
not have stated this in my previous mails.  The reason why I still try
to find out what's going on is:

 1) Shao mentioned the licq is the only app. with this problem
    (although that doesn't say much).  And he said it doesn't happen
    with fvwm version 1.x

 2) I'm and old shell freak and always willing to learn.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:28:17 +0200

> though it tends to create nohup.out files.

With zsh it's very easy to do this without an output file and
without 'nohup':

  # my_program &!
               ^^

This makes the created process a child of init.  Thus the shell can't
kill it when it exits.  You can do something similar with ksh compatible
syntax:

  # (my_program &)

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 16:21:43 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,

I was wondering if there is a way to add a menu item which could be
selected to turn on and off the sounds played by FvwmEvent.  My reasoning
is simple, sometimes I like to play music and do not want to hear the
other events...  This sounds like it should be feasible, but... I'm using
fvwm2.2.2

Thanks Much,

Tom Gardiner

---

From: Fuzzy Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 16:43:41 -0500

Thomas A. Gardiner <[email-masked]> wrote:
> selected to turn on and off the sounds played by FvwmEvent.

Seems like you could just "KillModule FvwmEvent" with one menu item, and
restart it with another.

-- 
   [email-masked] (Fuzzy Fox)      || "Just about every computer on the market
sometimes known as David DeSimone  ||  today runs Unix, except the Mac (and
  http://www.dallas.net/~fox/      ||  nobody cares about it). -- Bill Joy '85
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].