Subject: Re: FVWM: dynamic nummanagers?

From: Brian Keck <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 23:39:49 +1000

On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 09:17:24 -0400, Dan Boger wrote:
>On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 20:02:37 +1000 Brian Keck <[email-masked]> wrote
>> ...
>> that's right (no visible iconmanager for host BOD when I'm not running
>> an xterm on BOD)
>well, one way I can think of implementing this is having the xterm
>spawning function start a iconman for that host, and another (perhaps
>run with FvwmCommand from the .logout) close that iconman when the
>last xterm of that host closes.
>...

Thanks, but I think that's more or less what I was trying to avoid.

The critical thing seems to me to be need for a nummanagers setting.
The only way I could see of fixing things is to have the spawning
function make a new .fvwm2rc with an incremented nummanagers, & restart
fvwm2.  This would be pretty ugly, undressing & dressing all the
windows, & not all that fast on the old machines I have.  I was hoping
there might be an alternative to specifying a literal value for
nummanagers in .fvwm2rc.

Have I missed something?

Brian K

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Boger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 09:49:27 -0400

On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 23:39:49 +1000 Brian Keck <[email-masked]> wrote
> there might be an alternative to specifying a literal value for
I don't think you'll need to restart fvwm - you can use the Read
command to read the new iconman (say FvwmIconManBOD) configuration,
then just spawn the new module.  and when you're done, Close
FvwmIconManBOD should make it go away.  Or perhaps I'm missing
something?

Dan

---

From: Nathan Froyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 09:29:32 -0500

> Thanks, but I think that's more or less what I was trying to avoid.

Why are you trying to avoid it? If it works, you can use it. If it doesn't,
you can go back to *twm.
-- 
Nathan  |  [email-masked]  |  http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~froydnj/

         God is subtle, but He is not mailicious. --Albert Einstein
Evolution is a million line computer program falling into place by accident.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 16:53:59 +0200

> there might be an alternative to specifying a literal value for

If I find the time I will take a look at FvwmIconMan and see if
an option can easily be added. The code is well structured so
it might mot be too much troube, but that is only a guess.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 16:57:13 +0200

> there might be an alternative to specifying a literal value for

Hm, do you have a small sample configuration with more than one
manager?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Mark Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 09:18:20 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999 16:53:59 +0200, Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> >> ...  that's right (no visible iconmanager for host BOD when I'm
>> >> not running an xterm on BOD)

> If I find the time I will take a look at FvwmIconMan and see if an
> option can easily be added. The code is well structured so it might
> mot be too much troube, but that is only a guess.

Actually, this used to be the way it worked.  I have three Icon
managers defined in my .fvwm2rc and have had it this way for a long
time over several different versions of fvwm2.  With the newer
versions, the icon manager will display a blank placeholder if there
are no windows that correspond to that manager.  Older versions simply
didn't appear in that case.

For example, 

  *FvwmIconMan*nummanagers	3

  *FvwmIconMan*1*title		"Cadence DFII Windows"
  *FvwmIconMan*1*buttongeometry	150x0
  *FvwmIconMan*1*managergeometry	1x0-0+500
  *FvwmIconMan*1*show		resource=Cadence* \
                                resource=icfb  resource=dockit resource=LSW \
                                resource=opus resource=cdsLibManager

If I'm running cadence, then I get several items in icon manager 1 as
expected.  Now, however, when I'm not running Cadence, I get a single
entry in the icon manager with the title "Cadence DFII Windows" in it.

It seems to me that this is something that was a "fix" in the newer
revisions.  However, I prefered it the old way.

Sorry, I can't remember the specific version numbers -- 1.4 maybe?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Mark Crocker (MTI PE) | [email-masked] | (208) 36-83525 | Pg. 99416
		 http://markcrocker.micron.com/~mcrocker
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 11:38:17 -0400

> didn't appear in that case.

Your correct it did use to work this way.  I questioned Brady Montz (the
FvwmIconMan mainter at the time) about it and he said that it was a very
unreliable hack to map and unmap the managers, so he removed it.  I
still have the old code and if time permits I'll try to diff it out and
see if I can make sense of it now.  But my feeling is if Brady said it
was a bad hack then it probablly was.  My advice to you as his was to me
is get used to it, it won't take long.  And now two years later I just
ignore the empty managers floating around.

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].