Subject: FVWM: how do I set the mouse to be left handed?

From: Kishore Murthy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:38:00 -0700

Hi there,
    I just started to use fvwm and was wondering if there was a way to make
the mouse left-handed.
Please reply to me directly since I am not a member of this group.

Thanks, in advance.

Regards,

Kishore

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brian Servis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 17:19:10 -0500 (EST)

*- On 22 Sep, Kishore Murthy wrote about "FVWM: how do I set the mouse to be left handed?"
> Please reply to me directly since I am not a member of this group.

This is not a windowmanager problem.  Use xmodmap to switch the order
of the buttons.  The first example in the xmodmap man page covers this
issue:

EXAMPLES
       Many pointers are designed such that the first  button  is
       pressed  using the index finger of the right hand.  People
       who are left-handed frequently find that it is  more  com
       fortable to reverse the button codes that get generated so
       that the primary button is pressed using the index  finger
       of  the  left  hand.   This  could  be  done on a 3 button
       pointer as follows:

            %  xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1"

-- 
Brian 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Mechanical Engineering                              [email-masked]
Purdue University                   http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis
---------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Sten Drescher <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Sep 1999 17:35:00 -0500

>>>>> Kishore Murthy writes:

KM> Hi there, I just started to use fvwm and was wondering if there
KM> was a way to make the mouse left-handed.

	That's actually more of a session manager[1] issue than a
window manager issue.  The command to use is

	xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1"

If you have more than three real buttons[2], continue the sequence at
the beginning.  If you have virtual buttons (for example, you have a
roller that you've mapped up to button 4 and down to button 5), add
them at the end of the list.  For example, the command for my cordless 
wheel mouse is

	xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1 4 5"

Where you put this depends upon what, if any, session manager you use.
It's quite possible that your session startup script already invokes
xmodmap.  For example, the standard XConsortium xinitrc looks for
${HOME}/.xmodmap, and uses it for the xmodmap commands (what is in
quotes above).

[1] This isn't a rigorous definition, but a session manager handles
what applications are started when you log in/start X, and a window
manager handles how the windows displayed by applications are
displayed.  Session managers are a newer innovation than window
managers, so you may just be dropping things in ${HOME}/.xinitrc .

[2] That are usable left-handed - I don't think "thumb" buttons are
terribly useful, but then, I have short fingers.

-- 
#include <disclaimer.h>                               /* Sten Drescher */
"ThisemailhasbeenbroughttoyoubyJOLTCola,favoredbyssysadmins,netadminsand
programmerseverywhere.JOLTCola--forallthesugarandtwicethecaffeine(R)."-
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Sten Drescher <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Sep 1999 17:35:53 -0500

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 23:57:27 +0200

>     I just started to use fvwm and was wondering if there was a way to make

The easiest way is to put this command somewhere in you X
startup file:

  xmodmap -e "pointer 3 2 1"

Or add it to the InitFunction in your .fvwm2rc:

  AddToFunc InitFuction
  + "I" Exec exec xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1"

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].