Subject: Re: FVWM: dynamic nummanagers?

From: Brian Keck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 00:23:54 +1000

>I don't think you'll need to restart fvwm - you can use the Read
>command to read the new iconman (say FvwmIconManBOD) configuration,
>then just spawn the new module.  and when you're done, Close
>FvwmIconManBOD should make it go away.  Or perhaps I'm missing
>something?

Thanks, I hadn't realised you could do this.
But (I'm probably wearing out my welcome here ...) I like launching 
programs from outside the window manager.  Is it possible to send messages
to fvwm2 from outside?

Thanks again,
Brian Keck

------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: In case the external launching seems pointless, here's an example
where it's particularly convenient.  When I'm at home, I log in to work
from my laptop, & start 8 xterms on the laptop, & do 8 rlogins to the
same host at work.  This is manually tedious, especially when the line
is not all that reliable.  So I have a script called 'xterms', & just say
	xterms -h chook a-da-d
where chook is the host at work, & a,b,c,d are positions on the screen.
(The script sets the xterm names so they go to the chook iconmanager, &
sets the xterm geometries.)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Boger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 10:29:44 -0400

On Thu, 02 Sep 1999 00:23:54 +1000 Brian Keck <[email-masked]> wrote
> programs from outside the window manager.  Is it possible to send messages

yup, look at the FvwmCommand modules and man page :)

Cheers,

Dan

Dan Boger - Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
[email-masked]                                     ICQ: 1130750
Georgetown University Medical Center                       Washington, DC