Subject: FVWM: Error

From: Rickie McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 17:41:31 -0700

I just installed Solaris 7 and when I try to build fvwm2.2.2,
I get the following:

configure: error: can not run test program while cross compiling

I'm using a Sparc2.

I put a link from /usr/ucb/cc to point to gcc.

Any ideas on what is happening here.

Thanks
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Fuzzy Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 23:35:03 -0500

> I put a link from /usr/ucb/cc to point to gcc.

Configure should find gcc automatically.  You should not need to make
that symlink.

Can you compile a simple "hello world" program with gcc?  Is it
installed correctly?

-- 
   [email-masked] (Fuzzy Fox)      || "Just about every computer on the market
sometimes known as David DeSimone  ||  today runs Unix, except the Mac (and
  http://www.dallas.net/~fox/      ||  nobody cares about it). -- Bill Joy '85
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 13:05:46 +0200

> configure: error: can not run test program while cross compiling

Probably your compiler is set up to generate code for a
different architecture.  You need a compiler that can
generate code for you machine.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Rickie McDonald" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 15:51:40 -0700

Everything is installed in the default directories. If I don't put a symlink
to gcc, then the configure script exits saying '/usr/ucb/cc: language
optional software package not installed'.
I'm kind of new to this, but I expect when I installed solaris7 at least the
C complier would work. I did a full install. If I create the link, then it
gets me past this and using an answer from the archive, I'm able to
configure and make. I still don't understand why the C compiler does not
work.

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 16:18:30 -0700

Previously...
>configure and make. I still don't understand why the C compiler does not

Last I checked, C compiler wasn't builtin to Solaris. You needed to
separately license (to the tune of $1K, IIRC) the C compiler. In any
event, you'll probably be much happier going out and grabbing the full
suite of GNU development tools: gcc, g++, gdb, auto{conf,make}, m4,
etc.

Unless you have a 64-bit kernel. I think gcc still doesn't build
64-bit Solaris binaries... Sorry, I've been out of the loop a while.
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"The lunatic, the lover and the poet
Are of imagination all compact:-" A Midsummer Night's Dream, V i
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].