Subject: Re: FVWM: dynamic nummanagers?

From: Brian Keck <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 20:02:37 +1000

On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 10:32:24 +0200, Dominik Vogt wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 02:47:12AM -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 02:47:28PM +1000, Brian Keck wrote:
>>>...
>>>>Having made the switch from tvtwm, there's one thing I miss, namely
>>>>having a dynamic number of icon managers.  With tvtwm I had an icon
>>>>manager for each host I was logged into.  The config file 'IconManagers'
>>>>entry defined about 60 icon managers, one per host, but if I was logged
>>>>into 5 hosts then I'd only see 5 icon managers.  With fvwm2 I'd be seeing
>>>>60 icon managers all the time.
>>>>Is there a way of avoiding this?
>>
>>I'm not sure what you're explaining here. Are you saying that you have
>>windows running off of hosts FOO, BAR, and BAZ, and for each host, you have
>>a separate icon manager?

yes

>I think what Brian wants is to disable managers that don't 
>have windows to display.

that's right (no visible iconmanager for host BOD when I'm not running
an xterm on BOD)

Thanks,

Brian K

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Boger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 09:17:24 -0400

On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 20:02:37 +1000 Brian Keck <[email-masked]> wrote
> that's right (no visible iconmanager for host BOD when I'm not running

well, one way I can think of implementing this is having the xterm
spawning function start a iconman for that host, and another (perhaps
run with FvwmCommand from the .logout) close that iconman when the
last xterm of that host closes.

I havn't tried doing this, but I think it might work...

Dan

Dan Boger - Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
[email-masked]                                     ICQ: 1130750
Georgetown University Medical Center                       Washington, DC