Subject: FVWM: how to kill an interactive shell?

From: TG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 13:27:38 +0200

I know it's pretty insane to start an interactive shell in fvwm2
directly, but it would be nice if you could kill it nicely afterwards.

Executing next line in fvwm2 causes a freeze:

Exec read foo

I switched to the console, tried to kill the sh process with INT, HUP,
KILL with no success. After KILL ps tells that the process is defunct,
but I still can't continue working. Only killing fvwm2 with KILL
"works", but I'd prefer not to do that.

Is it hard to make fvwm2 a little more foolproof? ;-p

Regards,

Tung
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 10:21:42 -0400

> Is it hard to make fvwm2 a little more foolproof? ;-p

I tried this on Solaris 2.6, with fvwm 2.3.7 both from my .fvwm2rc
and from FvwmTalk without any problem or message.

Perhaps you can give more details.

In general we recommend:

Exec exec <command>

not that I know if this will change your symptom.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].