Subject: FVWM: SkipMapping

From: Fergal Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 13:41:40 +0100 (BST)

Hi folks,

I've come across a problem with Netscape.  I'm using fvwm2.2, Solaris 7 on
a Sun Ultra 1 and in my configuration file I had

Style "Netscape"   	StartsOnPage 3 0, SkipMapping

This worked fine with Netscape v3.x, but we have recently got Communicator
4.61.  Here, the SkipMapping seems to kill the StartsOnPage and it always
starts on the current page.  If I take SkipMapping out, then the
StartsOnPage works, but I can't stop the cursor from warping to every
instance of Netscape.  So anyway, I'm not sure how much of this has to do
with fvwm, because it worked with the old version of Netscape that we had,
but does anyone have any ideas?

ferg

ps. this problem also occurs with mxaudio, and perhaps others....

--
[email-masked]      		APS Division
Tel: +44 (0)1232 273692	       		Dept. of Pure & Applied Physics
Fax: +44 (0)1232 438918	       		The Queen's University of Belfast
http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~flc/		University Road, BT7 1NN

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 23:00:29 -0400

Fergal Crawford wrote:
> ...worked fine with Netscape v3.x, but we have recently got Communicator
> StartsOnPage works, but...
> does anyone have any ideas?

	My guess is that since Jamie Zawinski left, Netscape doesn't have
anyone around to keep the X group honest.  :-)

	I've been looking into a similar problem reported with The Gimp. In
that case I've just determined that the problem is that for no good
reason they made a couple of the windows (the startup window and the Tip
of the Day) transients. StartsOnPage isn't honored for transients if
SkipMapping is in effect. It's assumed that transients are used in a
sensible, normal way, and that you must have the window for which it's a
transient already in your viewport, and that you'd expect to see the
transient pop up in the visible viewport also.

	Now, fixing this will take a while, since it will require a new Style
option. The existing GlobalOpts technique for StartsOnPage options
really won't do, since in most cases you really wouldn't want
StartsOnPage/SkipMapping honored for transients - only for certain weird
apps. And since we're in that area, we need to convert the existing
GlobalOpts options to Style options.

	This particular quirk is not necessarily the problem with NetScrape
4.61 - in fact it doesn't sound too likely - but it's  got to be
something similar. Unfortunately, I don't have 4.61. In fact, I got so
annoyed with some of the changes they made with 4.5-something that I've
stayed with 4.08 on my personal development machine, and have resisted
upgrading. So, I suppose I'll have to grab the new one and see if I can
figure out what bogosity they've introduced.

	Can you tell us anything more specific? Does it happen with all
Netscape windows, or just certain ones?

Cheers,
Bob

---

From: Fergal Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:06:53 +0100 (BST)

>> does anyone have any ideas?

	<stuff>

>Netscape windows, or just certain ones?

As far as I can tell, it is happening with _every_ Netscape window.

ferg

---

From: Dan Boger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 10:22:58 -0400

I'm not sure if this is related, but here's something I noticed with
my netscape.  SOMETIMES, when I click on the bookmarks button, the
window that appears shows up at the edge of the screen.  It will
happen with one window of netscape, while the rest are working just
fine.  If I move that netscape window just a pixle, the problem goes
away.

Netscape 4.61, fvwm2.3.3 (I know, need to upgrade)

Style "Netscape"        Color Gray/NETWORK_COLOUR, StartsonPage 1 1, \
			SkipMapping, MiniIcon mini-nscape.xpm
Style "Netscape*"       UseStyle Netscape
Style "*Mosaic*"        UseStyle Netscape, DecorateTransient

Cheers,

Dan

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 16:49:01 +0200

> Style "*Mosaic*"        UseStyle Netscape, DecorateTransient

I have noticed the same with function menus in XEmacs. It's 
definitely a fvwm bug.  We had something similar a while ago.
I will investigate it as soon as I find the time.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 22:50:52 +0200

> but does anyone have any ideas?

I use this line (seccessfully) with Netscape 4.51 and 4.61:

  Style Netscape* StartsOnPage 0 1, SkipMapping

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 00:18:57 -0400

>   Style Netscape* StartsOnPage 0 1, SkipMapping

	I finally downloaded Netscape 4.6, and I can't make it fail either. My
Style line is like this:

Style "Netscape*"    SkipMapping, StartsOnPage 1 1 1

and it works perfectly.

	I don't know what could be different about your system. As I said, I'm
working on StartsOnPage workarounds for a couple of quirky apps (The
Gimp and xv), but I can't really debug this one if I can't reproduce it.

	Does anyone else have any ideas?

Cheers,
- Bob