Subject: FVWM: having a window with frames but no resizing

From: Pablo Osinaga <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 18:28:42 -0400

Hello.
I am using fvwm2 and I do have the usual mouse binding to resize windows
Now, I need to have a window Style that let me have some windows with border
but without title and that this window can not be resized.

It should be somethilng like that:

Style "name" NoTitle, NoHandle, BorderWidth 5

but it doesn't put any border...

do you know the solution?

ps: i am using fvwm 2.0.46

Pablo
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 02:44:11 +0200

> Style "name" NoTitle, NoHandle, BorderWidth 5
                        ^^^^^^^^

It's 'NoHandles'. Note the 's' at the end.  However, disabling the
handles only switches off the cursors over the border. You can still
resize the window.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Pablo Osinaga <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 01:56:59 -0400

On Wed, 01 Sep 1999, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> It's 'NoHandles'. Note the 's' at the end.

Typing mistake.

> However, disabling the handles only switches off the cursors over the
> border. You can still resize the window.

Is there any way to tell fvwm that some windows cannot be resized?
I'm sure that there have to be a way to acomplish this...

Pablo...

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 11:27:27 +0200

> I'm sure that there have to be a way to acomplish this...

Only by writing the application in a way that it asks for a
specific size from the window manager. THere is no Style
option allowing this.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Pablo Osinaga <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 04:10:29 -0400

> specific size from the window manager. THere is no Style

Help me with this. I don't know how these kind of things exactly works.
I need to tell fvwm not to resize some windows. I am able to do it now by this
Stryle (literaly):

Style "Netscape*" NoHandles, NoTitle, BorderWidth 0, ClickToFocus

The problem with this is that I have no Border and I would like to have. I
don't want to have Title.

You are telling me that I can tell a specific size for my application to the
window manager (is it part of ICCCM?). I don't have access to the aplication
(Netscape), so, do you know if is there any way to simulate this request from
outside netscape? Can I send this request from another program?

Thanks a lot, Pablo

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 09:31:32 -0400

> outside netscape? Can I send this request from another program?

If its Netscape  you  don't want  resized, the  above suggestion isn't
going to help unless  you are using   the source from Mozilla.org  and
make your own  modifications.   The  modifications would  consist   of
setting the window hints with a maximum and  minimum window size which
fvwm will honor.

If you don't want Netscape resized, then the simplest course of action
would be to not resize it.  But I suspect that you are after something
else.

Fvwm will let you remove the window  frames and the  title bar, but if
you have the command  "Resize" bound to a button   or a key, you  will
still be able to  resize the window.  If you  don't want ANY window to
be resized, don't have  any menu, key or  button  bound to the  resize
command, and don't  allow any of the  fvwm modules to be started  that
would let an fvwm command to be entered.

I'm not aware of any way you can change a windows size hints without
changing the program that creates the window.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 16:11:47 +0200

> changing the program that creates the window.

Well, fvwm *could* do it. Any application can set hints on a
window as long as the window id is know. It wouldn't be hard
to write a command that sets a window's size hints in fvwm,
but I'm not enthusiatic about this idea.

This approach is very unreliable, but it has has tempting
possibilities. This is what I'm doing with the colour sets
of FvwmButtons swallowed applications, and I was thinking
about a 'SetGeometry' command that has some functionality
of 'Move' and 'Resize'. It could handle size hints too.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Pablo Osinaga <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 17:48:30 -0400

On Fri, 03 Sep 1999, you wrote:

> still be able to  resize the window.

But look at this:

...
Style "Netscape*" NoHandles, NoTitle, BorderWidth 0, ClickToCous
"Resize binding ON"
...

With this configuration I am not able to resize Netscape windows. But I am able
to resize any others.
If I put BorderWidth 5, for example, now I am able to resize the Netscape
window, but I dont want this, I want Netscape to continus 'unresizable' while
having a BorderWidth nonzero.

ps: I know, its strange. thats why i was asking first, because there is an
ambiguity.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 21:02:48 -0400

> With this configuration I am not able to resize Netscape windows. But I am ab

I just tried it, and I was able to resize the window.

You can't resize by using the frame, because its not there, but
I clicked on the root, brought up a "window operations" menu,
selected resize, the pointer turned into a cross, I clicked on
the window, got the resize frames, and dragged them around to resize.

> having a BorderWidth nonzero.

If you are looking for button bindings to be different, just for Netscape
borders,  sorry, fvwm doesn't do that.

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 07:16:58 -0400

Alright you are just making this to hard try something like 

netscape -xrm "*Navigator.maxHeight: 200" -xrm "*Navigator.maxWidth: 400" -xrm "*Navigator.minHeight: 200" -xrm "*Navigator.minWidth: 400"

You could also put thos values in your .Xdefaults file.