Subject: FVWM: Option overload help!

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 13:37:13 +0100

Basically, I've set up my fvwm such that all windows come up with
title-bars, unless I explicitly apply a NoTitle style.

  Um. /How/ have I done this? I've got:

GlobalOpts SmartPlacementIsReallySmart
Emulate       fvwm

Style "*"  BorderWidth 4, HandleWidth 4
Style "*"  Icon unknown1.xpm
Style "*"  MWMDecor, MWMFunctions, OLDecor, HintOverride
Style "*"  DecorateTransient, NoPPosition
Style "*"  SloppyFocus, SkipMapping
Style "*"  RandomPlacement, SmartPlacement
Style "*"  UseDecor DefaultDecor, MWMButtons
Style "*"  IconBox 0 381 -1 -1, IconFill Top Right
Style "*"  BackColor #40bdff, ForeColor Black

  I think that's the relevant stuff. I'd've expected OLDecor to make fvwm
recognise the _OL_DECOR_xxx hints, but obviously something's overriding
this. Is it HintOverride (seems to be a menu-only thing) or maybe
DecorateTransient (my window's not transient)?

  The window I want to lose the title-bar for is a dummy OL-hint test
proggy, BTW.

-- 
=====================- http://www.racaldefence.com/ -===================
 Neil Bird                   |   This is who we are     The time is near
                             |
 mailto:[email-masked] |        There are 121 days remaining
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 14:26:18 +0100

> recognise the _OL_DECOR_xxx hints, but obviously something's overriding

Does the window have any buttons on the titlebar? Titlebars are switched
on if there are buttons to display.  You might want to turn off the
MWMDecor for this client.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 14:44:46 +0100

> MWMDecor for this client.

  The program in question is *just* a test one: it only has an
XCreateSimpleWindow(), plus the necessary gubbins to set _OL_DECOR_DEL to
contain _OL_DECOR_HEADER before mapping.

  ol[v]wm then opens the blank window with no title. Should fvwm honour
this? It looks, from fvwm/decorations.c, like it should, but to be honest,
I got a bit lost amonst all the !~&| flags!

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 15:08:26 +0100

> I got a bit lost amonst all the !~&| flags!

When fvwm gets it wrong does it display a menu button in the title bar?

Line 342 of decorations.c has this:

  /* This rule is implicit, but its easier to deal with if
   * I take care of it now */
  if(decor & (MWM_DECOR_MENU| MWM_DECOR_MINIMIZE | MWM_DECOR_MAXIMIZE))
    decor |= MWM_DECOR_TITLE;

could you put a couple of printf's around this to see if MWM_DECOR_TITLE
is being set here?

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 15:26:33 +0100

> When fvwm gets it wrong does it display a menu button in the title bar?

  I think we might be going the wrong way here! I *don't* think fvwm's
getting wrong (at this stage). All I think is that somehow I've got fvwm
ignoring OLDecor, and I'm trying to figure out which option's done it.

  But yes, if I get the time, I'll do a debug fvwm & find out what bit's
forced the appearance of the title-bar.