Subject: FVWM: shell vars in .fvwm2rc ?

From: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 18:48:01 -0400

I'm attempting to setup fvwm2 on a common file server for use by
multiple architectures. Unfortunately, I can't make the paths "look the
same" using mount points. So, the ModulePath statement, for instance, in
my .fvwm2rc needs to be different depending on the current architecture.

Is there a way to use shell variables in .fvwm2rc ? I'd rather not
preprocess the file using FvwmM4, since the same user may log in to
multiple machines, and thus multiple architectures, at once. (However, I
haven't even figured out how to do *that* yet either, so pointers in
that direction would also be appreciated.)

Please reply directly as I am not on the list. Thanks for any
help/pointers you are able to give.

--C Wilson

P.S. I'm currently using 2.0.46. Will the same .fvwm2rc files work with
2.2, 2.2.2, etc., aside from changing the module paths and such?

V+"¶Ø^¡÷âr&¥UŒÁæéjšµDK†Ûiÿü0ÁûðšŠàý:.žË›±Êâmçë¢kazX¬¶Ç§véì¹»®&Þ~ü&Š{ayºÊ‡Ú™ë,j¢f£¢·hš‡ïÂj+:+zš+¶šènW¦²Ç§vf¢–Ú¿	¨Âw«~ü&¢¸

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:01:32 -0400

> help/pointers you are able to give.

You can't use environment variables everywhere, but they
work in the Modulepath statement.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (David S. Goldberg)
Date: 13 Aug 1999 09:38:36 -0400

> multiple machines, and thus multiple architectures, at
> once. (However, I haven't even figured out how to do *that* yet
> either, so pointers in that direction would also be appreciated.)

Actually, processing with FvwmM4 is ideal for this situation.  FvwmM4
predefines an OSTYPE variable so you can choose your paths based on
that.  If you want more granularity than that, and have an environment
variable set up for it (call it $ARCH for example), you can do
something like this:

fvwm2 -cmd "FvwmM4 -m4-squote { -m4-equote } -m4-opt -DARCH=$ARCH .fvwm2rc"

> P.S. I'm currently using 2.0.46. Will the same .fvwm2rc files work
> with 2.2, 2.2.2, etc., aside from changing the module paths and
> such?

Mine required only a few minor tweaks when I moved to 2.2 and none for
the move from 2.2 to 2.2.2 except for removing a workaround for a bug
in 2.2 that's fixed in 2.2.2.  I haven't tried the 2.3.* yet, but I've 
read the manual.  I suspect that some tweaking would be necessary
there too, but it doesn't look like anything major.  In fact things
appear simple enough that with FvwmM4 you could easily have a .fvwm2rc 
that supported both versions.
-- 
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B325\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 781-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].