Subject: FVWM: StartsOnPage doesn't work...

From: Nathan Froyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 22:27:42 -0500 (EST)

...with two apps in particular. Netscape and Gimp. Everything else works
fine, letting me divvy up my workspace however I please. Any suggestions?

I have:

GlobalOpts ActivePlacementHonorsStartsOnPage

in my .fvwm2rc and I'm running 2.2.2. xv doesn't quite work, but then
again, xv's a weird app anyway.
-- 
Nathan  |  [email-masked]  |  http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~froydnj/

Evolution is a million line computer program falling into place by accident.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 09:28:43 +0200

> again, xv's a weird app anyway.

Can you be more specific? How does your style line look like, what
are the GlobalOpts you use and what kind of placement styles do
you use?

I have this in my config file and it works:

  Style Netscape* StartsOnPage 0 1, SkipMapping
  Style * SmartPlacement, RandomPlacement
  GlobalOpts SmartPlacementIsReallySmart
  GlobalOpts RecaptureHonorsStartsOnPage, CaptureHonorsStartsOnPage

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 22:42:11 -0400

Dominik Vogt wrote:
> > fine.... Any suggestions?
> >
> > ...I'm running 2.2.2. xv doesn't quite work, but then

	Sorry, I've been out of touch for a few weeks - I'm still trying to
catch up with my mail.

	In addition to what Dominik asked for, can you tell us *which* specific
windows misbehave? - i.e., each of the apps you mention has several
different windows with different names, which may cause matching
problems.

	I've never noticed a problem with xv. For Netscape, my spec is very
much like Dominik's (except for a different page), and it works fine.

	The Gimp, now...there's a different story. I thought it worked OK, but
I tried a few tests after reading your message, and I find that the Gimp
has its own share of weirdness. (YMMV - I'm still using version 1.0. I
also still have the old Motif version, which has no problems at all.)

	I have no problem with the main control panel (name: "The GIMP"); the
individual image windows (name: "image_window") also behave properly.
However,the startup window (name: "GIMP Startup") and the Tip of the Day
(name: "GIMP Tip of the day") misbehave rather strangely: they start up
on the correct desk, but always on the current page - as though the Gimp
is doing something to override the position we calculate for the window.

	I haven't had time to look into this any more deeply, but does yours
(which version, by the way?) behave this way, or do you see different
behavior?

	...  [time passes]  ...

	OK, I see that xv behaves similarly, only in a more annoying way.
Normally, I only specify the desk for xv - when I change the spec to
include the page, it goes weird on me. All the windows behave properly
except for the image window (which also doubles as the splash window
when it starts up) - this seems to be due to xv's habit of trying to
force a new image into the visible viewport. The image window does the
same thing as the Gimp windows - it appears on the right desk, but the
current page.

	It's been a good while since I've looked at the placement code, but
I'll try to find some time in my current 4-hour-commute day to glance
over it to see whether there's something we could or should try to do to
correct this.

- Bob