Subject: FVWM: non-auto-compacted icons?

From: Benjamin Low <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 23:29:35 +1000

Hello all,

I made a hack to fvwm 2.0.46 which undoes the icon 'auto-compact'
feature - that is, an application's icon position is reserved for the
applications lifetime, rather than all the icons compacting down the
icon box. This is much like olvwm - I much prefer being able to
associate windows with their icon positions, and not have the wm
rearrange them when I'm not looking :-)

This kind of breaks with non-sticky icons when you un-iconise a window
into a different page and then iconise again, but works a treat with
stick icons.

Anyhow, the reason for this post:

1) is there a way to do this without hacking the source?

2) this hack essentially turns on the ICON_MOVED bit of the window's 
flags in icons.c:AutoPlace(), and removes the test for iconification
when figuring out where to layout icons (i.e. all windows which have
been iconised at some point are considered in the layout algorithm). Is
there a better way in 2.2.2?

3) is there any interest in making this a rc configuration? Any
suggestions for a name?

Regards,

Ben Low
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 13:35:37 +0200

> into a different page and then iconise again, but works a treat with

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do. I can't remember any
feature that 'auto compacts' icons, whatever that may be. Perhaps
you mean the icon boxes? You can define rectangles on the screen
where your icons should go (Style * IconBox ...). If you don't like
it, don't use it. Once an icon in the icon box has been  moved by
the user, fvwm won't move it back into the box.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ben Low <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:22:52 +1000 (EST)

> On Sat, Aug 21, 1999 at 11:29:35PM +1000, [email-masked] wrote:
...

> feature that 'auto compacts' icons, whatever that may be. Perhaps

What I mean is the way fvwm (and some other icon-based wmgrs) layout icons
on the screen. Presently, fvwm fills the icon box to not leave any gaps.
This means icons don't 'stay put' - for example:

Wn - window id 'n'    In - icon for window 'n'

a)initial:       b)restore W2:    c)iconify W4:    d)iconify W2:
+-----------+    +-----------+    +-----------+    +-----------+
| I1        |    | I1    W2  |    | I1    W2  |    | I1        |
| I2        |    |           |    | I4        |    | I4        |
| I3   W4   |    | I3   W4   |    | I3        |    | I3        |
|           |    |           |    |           |    | I2        |
+-----------+    +-----------+    +-----------+    +-----------+

So you can see that the icons have rearranged themselves, each time
begin 'compacted' into the first available space in the icon box.

What I like is for icons to stay where they started, in essence not having
the wm 'repack' the iconbox on every iconisation (<- is that a word??).

Manually placing an icon forces it to stay put by removing it from the
packing process. My hack sets all icons as though they are manually
placed. It'd be nice to know if this is doable via any kind of config
directive/s.

Regards,

Ben

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:00:26 +0200

> a)initial:       b)restore W2:    c)iconify W4:    d)iconify W2:

Then you should upgrade your fvwm to a more current version. A quick
test reveals that the current development code does it the way you
describe and I bet the released version (2.2.2) does it too.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 08:26:00 -0400

> describe and I bet the released version (2.2.2) does it too.

I think you'd better read thru this again.
Whenever an icon is autoplaced, its placed in the first open slot,
regardless of its prior position.  (Unless its been moved.)

In my opinion, the functionality requested is reasonable.  I might
apply a patch if it was submitted.  (Hacks won't do.)

I think this is better described as "icons automatically remember their
place".

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].