Subject: FVWM: click delay in menu

From: Philippe Bernard Meunier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 21:43:51 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,

I used to have the following menu when I was using Fvwm v.1 :

Popup "Utilities"
        Exec    "xterm"         exec xterm -e /bin/bash &
        Nop     ""
        Module  "identity"      FvwmIdent
        Refresh "refresh"
        Destroy "destroy"
EndPopup

This menu didn't have any title, and by using:

Mouse 1         R       A       PopUp "Utilities"

I could click anywhere on the root window, the "xterm" entry of the menu
would appear directly below the mouse pointer, be selected and it would
immediatly fire up an xterm window.

Now with version 2, I have the following:

AddToMenu "Utilities" "xterm" Exec exec xterm -e /bin/bash
+              "" Nop
+              "identity" Module FvwmIdent
+              "refresh" Refresh
+              "destroy" Destroy

Mouse 1         R       A       Popup "Utilities"

The behavior is the same, except that now there has to be a slight delay
between the mouse button press/release for the xterm window to show up...
I.e. before I just had to click and however fast I was doing it, it would
work. Now I have to press the button, wait a little, then release the
button, otherwise it doesn't work...

Does somebody know how to get rid of the delay ?

Thanks,

Philippe
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Fuzzy Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 00:22:29 -0500

Philippe Bernard Meunier <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> The behavior is the same, except that now there has to be a slight
> delay between the mouse button press/release for the xterm window to
> show up...

I have seen this also.  It seems that fvwm2 thinks it is doing the user
a favor by not triggering the top menu item, if the mouse is not moved
just a bit between the press and the release.  I assume it is trying to
avoid an accidental root-window click from triggering something
horrible.  One never knows what might be at the top of some menu, and
the user could click by mistake...

I don't much like the behavior, though.  I'd rather be able to protect
myself by putting a title on the window, instead.  Since I design the
menus, I should get what I want.  :)

-- 
   [email-masked] (Fuzzy Fox)      || "Just about every computer on the market
sometimes known as David DeSimone  ||  today runs Unix, except the Mac (and
  http://www.dallas.net/~fox/      ||  nobody cares about it). -- Bill Joy '85
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Aug 1999 12:07:43 +0200

> immediatly fire up an xterm window.

FWIW I noticed that too and didn't care to upgrade from 1.24r because
of it. :-)

Any help is greatly appreciated.