Subject: FVWM: Shutting down from FVWM

From: "Matthew W. Roberts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:29:01 -0500

Hi All,

I'm trying to get Linux set up on our home box.  I'd like my wife
to be able to use it, so I need a simple way to shutdown the
machine.  (I don't think she will want to su, enter the password,
and type shutdown -h now...)

I know this is probably not a pure FVWM question, and I appologize
if this is the wrong place to ask.  But, I'm looking for suggestions
on how to implement this.  Preferably, she would just have to click
a button or menu item (in X, with fvwm2) to cleanly bring the system
down.

Thanks for any help.

Matt
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Boger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 11:48:29 -0400

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:29:01 -0500 "Matthew W. Roberts" <[email-masked]> wrote
> a button or menu item (in X, with fvwm2) to cleanly bring the system

how about just setting ctrl-alt-del to shutdown instead of reboot?

in your /etc/inittab do this:

instead of "ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now"
do "ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -h now"

(RH system, but it should be similar everywhere)

Cheers,

Dan

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 12 Aug 1999 12:04:30 -0400

Write a little shell script to run the shutdown command.

Install sudo on your system (see the man page, etc.)

Set up the sudoers config file to allow you, your wife, etc. to run that
script with root permissions.

Add a menu item to your FVWM root menu (or wherever) that invokes "sudo
/my/script/name".

I did this on my system and it works like a champ.  I actually have two
menu items, one to restart (reboot) and one to halt the system.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].