Subject: FVWM: Pixmaps have wrong colours

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:33:55 +0100

I understand that fvwm's probably loading XPMs with a degree of lenience
for the colours within the pixmap (as the Xpm library allows) - I'll check
the code in detail in a mo., but in the meantime:

  Im trying to texture-up my display ('cos I can!). I'm limited to 256
cols., so I'm ImageMagicking the pixmaps that I want to use into 8-16
colours, and editing these so that they all use the same small subset of
shades of blue that I prefer. I.e., with all the pixmaps loaded, I still
shouldn't lose more that 16 colours out of my Colourmap

  a) I defined some title-bar button pixmaps (to try to get around the
problem of not being able to have transparent-through-to-the-titlebar
buttons - it still doesn't work, BTW), and found am oddity such that, with
a 4-colour button (transparent, main, and high & low-lights for 3D), the
pixmap's actually plotted with different colours to the ones I have on the
xpm file ... even though the 'main' colour is the same as the title-bar's
background colour.

     Thus, I get, where the pixmap's transparent, the correct 'main'
colour (since it's the background), but where the pixmap has that very
colour in it's definition, I get a distortion of it - like it's failed to
find the real one & picked the nearest).

  b) I've set an 8-colour pixmap to be my menu backdrop. This pixmap works
perfectly well elsewhere, but on the menu, it only ever appears with two
colours, as if it's been dropped to a 1-bit visual.

  Anyone any clues?

  Ref: Sparc/Solaris 2.5.1; fvwm 2.3.6 (snap 19990716). I don't believe
that the problem's restricted to this beta version, though.

-- 
========================- http://www.rdel.co.uk/ -======================
 Neil Bird                   |   This is who we are     The time is near
                             |
 mailto:[email-masked] |        There are 164 days remaining
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 08:03:34 -0400

> colours, as if it's been dropped to a 1-bit visual.

Check the fvwm2 man page's description of colorlimiting.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 13:13:48 +0100

> Check the fvwm2 man page's description of colorlimiting.

  Ah-har.

  OK. For my purposes, then, I may have to compile fvwm up with a custom
hotlist of primary colours.

  Thanks.

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 13:19:31 +0100

> hotlist of primary colours.

Not neccesarily.  Since you are being very careful about the colours you
use you could set ColorLimit to 0 to disable it.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 13:28:32 +0100

> use you could set ColorLimit to 0 to disable it.

  Yeah, I guess since it only applies to XPMs imported directly by FVWM
(e.g., the coloured icon built into netscape wouldn't count, since it
creates the Pixmap).

  I'm running unlimited ATM to check it's all still OK - I'll see how I go
:-)

  [of course, now my "finely tuned" window title/button XPMs have reverted
to the colours they *really* are,. instead of the FVWM-near-hits that they
looked nice with, I've got to edit their colours all over again!]

---

From: Kim Carter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 14:15:21 +0100

Quoting the trailer to the messages on this list -

> To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

When trying to unsubscribe I get the following -

Returned mail: Service unavailable

The original message was received at Wed, 21 Jul 1999 10:23:27 +0100
from IDENT:kim1@localhost [127.0.0.1]

    ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<[email-masked]>

    ----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to karazm.math.uh.edu.:
>>> MAIL From:<[email-masked]>
<<< 550 Mail from 193.149.69.85 rejected;see http://www.imrss.org/dssl/
554 <[email-masked]>... Service unavailable

Having looked at the page mentioned above it appears to be the case that it
rejects on the grounds that I use a dynamic IP which DSSL has chosen to 
black list - Spam may be objectionable but so is a mailing list one is 
unable to unsubscribe from. Since most home users probably use Dynamic IPs
and are at risk from this arbitrary judgement this strikes me as downright
ludicrous.  (Come to that I don't suppose people can subscribe either ...)
Assuming this spam filter doesn't reject this message as well, please
unsubscribe me  I don't want to pay to download any more fvwm messages.

Kim Carter

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Jul 1999 09:43:42 -0500

>>>>> "KC" == Kim Carter <[email-masked]> writes:

KC> Since most home users probably use Dynamic IPs and are at risk from
KC> this arbitrary judgement this strikes me as downright ludicrous.

Your provider has a mail server.  You must configure your machine to use
it.  Pretty simple, really.  Failure to do this will result in you not
being able to send to a heck of a lot more hosts than just mine.

I have removed you from the list.

 - J<