Subject: FVWM: can fvwm2 (or any other WM) move windows across heads -

From: Rob Somerville <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:55:03 -0600

on a 2 headed machine (2 screens)

-thanks
robert somerville
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 11:10:18 +0200

> on a 2 headed machine (2 screens)

No. Fvwm can't do it and I doubt any other window manager can.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brian Servis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 08:45:27 -0500 (EST)

*- On 16 Jul, Dominik Vogt wrote about "Re: FVWM: can fvwm2 (or any other WM) move windows across heads -"
> No. Fvwm can't do it and I doubt any other window manager can.

(This is not intended as an off-topic promo, just adding some info to
the thread)

Rumor is that the E window manager will in the future, not that they
have a lock on the market, with XFree86 4.0 and using a new extension
called xinerama. See http://www.linuxpower.org/display_item.phtml?id=121
a little over half way down.

-- 
Brian 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Mechanical Engineering                              [email-masked]
Purdue University                   http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis
---------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:09:40 +0100

Brian Servis wrote:
> called xinerama.

You don't really think that the E people have a lock on the multiheaded
X display
market do you? And you don't think they have a patent on xinerama do
you?

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Brian Servis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:40:32 -0500 (EST)

*- On 16 Jul, Tim Phipps wrote about "Re: FVWM: can fvwm2 (or any other WM) move windows across heads -"
>> Rumor is that the E window manager will in the future, not that they
                                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> have a lock on the market, with XFree86 4.0 and using a new extension
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> market do you? And you don't think they have a patent on xinerama do

No I don't.  That is what I said.

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 16:24:56 +0100

> >> have a lock on the market, with XFree86 4.0 and using a new extension

Oh sorry, I read "not" as "now".

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Jul 1999 11:55:40 -0500

>>>>> "BS" == Brian Servis <[email-masked]> writes:

BS> Rumor is that the E window manager will in the future, not that they
BS> have a lock on the market, with XFree86 4.0 and using a new extension
BS> called xinerama. See
BS> http://www.linuxpower.org/display_item.phtml?id=121 a little over half
BS> way down.

Ummm, FVWM runs fine on an Xinerama multiheaded server.  So does every
other window manager.  Why?  Because Xinerama presents a single large
bitmap to the application.  Nothing even needs to know about its existence.

Now, it is nice to have special support for, say, not popping up windows
and menus half on one head and half on the other  Eventually FVWM will get
this, but Xinerama is underdocumented at the moment and I haven't had much
luck finding out how to determine where the "seams" are.

If everyone is wondering why they don't have Xinerama, it's part of XFree
4.0 (and indeed should be a general X11R6.4 thing).  You have to be an
XFree developer to get at the development sources.
-- 
Jason L Tibbitts III - [email-masked] - 713/743-3486 - 660PGH - 94 PC800
   System Manager:  University of Houston Department of Mathematics 
         "You'll see the blood as we roll in it together..."

---

From: "John W. Burgess" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 12:46:22 -0500

I just installed redhat linux with which they gave me fvwm2.  I am trying to
customize fvwm, but the system.fvwmrsc file in the fvwm folder does not match
the set up that I have.  Has anyone used redhat's config of fvwm?
where do they hide the resource files for the windows managers?

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 13:42:23 -0400 (EDT)

> where do they hide the resource files for the windows managers?

What you want to look at is /etc/X11/AnotherLevel/
In there you will find a number of m4 included files which are used to
build up a .fvwm2rc file every time you log in.  If you wish to modify a
few things you should start by looking at fvwm2rc.defines.m4. Depending on
what you see when you log in, xdm, gdm, ...  I believe that the script
which actually executes the command fvwmm4 is 

/usr/bin/X11/RunWM

The command is essentially 

exec fvwm2 FvwmM4 -debug (the .rc file)

which will put a copy of the M4 generated .fvwm2rc file in your tmp
directory.  The .rc file in this case is either 

/etc/X11/AnotherLevel/fvwm2rc.m4

or $HOME/.fvwm2rc.m4 if this (above) file is copied to your home directory
and renamed to .fvwm2rc.m4

If you choose to put the file .fvwm2rc.m4 in your home directory then at
that point you have complete control over what follows and can create your
own AnotherLevel directory if you should desire with different decors,
etc.

Hope I answered your question,

Tom

---

From: sa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 17:53:24 -0600

> XFree developer to get at the development sources.

News from www.xfree86.org:

The first pre-4.0 XFree86 snapshot is now available

     [July 1999] 

     The first pre-4.0 XFree86 snapshot is now available. It is labeled
as version 3.9.15. 
     See our snapshots page for further details. These snapshot releases
are work-in-progress 
     snapshots of the XFree86 4.0 development code. If you're looking
for a stable version of 
     XFree86, you will be better off with the latest 3.3.x release in
most cases.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].