Subject: Re: FVWM: a silly question

From: [email-masked] (Danny Dulai)
Date: 4 Jul 1999 14:19:21 -0000

On 05/18/99, Dominik Vogt said:
>On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 11:48:29AM -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
>> %% Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>>   dv> Wow, I didn't know you can do it this complicated ;-)
>>   dv> I simply use an alias:
>> 
>>   dv>   alias x="startx $* > ~/.X.err 2>&1"
>> 
>>   dv> It's less keystrokes to restart X too.
>> 
>> Can't work with XDM.  And XDM gives even _less_ keystrokes to restart X :)
>
>Okay, but as a wm developer using xdm is a bit uncomfortable :)

With xdm, its just put in ~/.xsession-errors or /tmp/xses-$USER, or
wherever your xdm is configured to do that (look at the Xsession file in
the xdm dir).

I always thought that if I was a WM developer, I'd be using Xnest to have a
smaller virtual X server inside a window in my normal X server that I could
restart at will without loosing my normal environment. I'm not sure what
has Xnest tho, XFree86 definatly does. I remmeber you doing your
development under AIX (from previous mailing list posts), and I'm not sure
if that exists in their server or even if there is a port of XFree to AIX.

___________________________________________________________________________
Danny Dulai                                           Feet. Pumice. Lotion.
http://www.ishiboo.com/~nirva/                            [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 17:20:02 +0200

On Sun, Jul 04, 1999 at 02:19:21PM -0000, Danny Dulai wrote:
> restart at will without loosing my normal environment.

I don't know what my fellow developers do exactly, but I don't think any of
us uses Xnest for other reasons than debugging. The big problem is that you
can't have the mouse inside the Xnest window and in the debugger window at
the same time. You won't be able to do most interesting stuff with X events
this way. Another thing is that you will have to write a new config file
with different keyboard shortcuts.

> I remeber you doing your > development under AIX (from previous mailing
> list posts),

That's ancient history. I never hacked fvwm on my AIX. I do all the work
on Linux.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].