Subject: FVWM: modifying icon positions / module-to-module communication

From: [email-masked] (Danny Dulai)
Date: 4 Jul 1999 16:30:29 -0000

I'd like to have the taskbar keep icons for my iconified windows. The
reason for this is that I like using FvwmAnimate, but I dislike icons.

I'd like FvwmAnimate to be able to do draw its animaions over to the
taskbar. FvwmAnimate does this by getting the iconfiy/deiconfiy event from
fvwm along with the position of the window and the icon.

Any ideas for implementation of this?

Another idea I had was to make FvwmAnimate FvwmTaskBar-aware. But this
would require module-to-module communications, which I don't know is
possible.

___________________________________________________________________________
Danny Dulai                                           Feet. Pumice. Lotion.
http://www.ishiboo.com/~nirva/                            [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 21:34:10 +0200

> would require module-to-module communications, which I don't know is

Please *don't* try making a patch. This is a topic in a standards
discussion between several window manager and desktop environment 
developers right now. Any implementation will probably have to be
rewritten in a few months, so this would be a waste of time.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:54:07 -0400

> > would require module-to-module communications, which I don't know is

Module  to  module  communications is  very   possible.   (Its done by
sending commands back to  fvwm2 and having  fvwm2 send them out to the
modules that ask for them.

In this   case, you would want FvwmTaskBar   to  see the  "iconify" or
"deiconify" packet without the icon coordinates,  and have it send the
packet back to fvwm2 with the  coordinates.  Fvwm2 would then send the
packet with the co-ordinates  out to all  the modules that  have asked
for these packet types.

> rewritten in a few months, so this would be a waste of time.

After  watching that list  for   a week or   so,  and going thru   the
archives, I disagree.  I don't think theres going  to be any concensus
on that list.  Even if  there is, I don't think  the change from using
the module communications to using X-atoms is all that hard.

I doubt I'll make the changes.  I LIKE icons.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 16:03:20 +0100

> the module communications to using X-atoms is all that hard.

I didn't want to say anything on that list but I do agree with you. The
wm-spec list is taking on all the characteristics of a talking shop (too
many egos, not enough talent 8-)

> I doubt I'll make the changes.  I LIKE icons.
If anyone is going to do this could they please consider my case of
having icons on screen and having a TaskBar (OK it's FvwmIconMan). I
don't want FvwmAnimate drawing two sets of lines, one to the icon,
another to the TaskBar.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 17:45:02 +0200

> many egos, not enough talent 8-)

Don't underestimate the power of laziness. In the end the document
will very much look like Matthias Ettrich's first draft if there is
no real consensus. Gnome/KDE will probably adopt that 'standard' even
without it. The whole thing may fail because nobody is willing and has
the time to make a sound draft that is not focused entirely on technical
aspects.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].