Subject: FVWM: HElP ???

From: "Osvaldo Rentas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 01:01:45 -0400

I installed redhat 5.2 and the default window managers were fvwm95 and afterstep ... I looked around and liked fvwm.  So I uninstalled the other fvwms with the -e oldfvwm.rpm type of command.  I installed the new version.  Now it seems in .Xclients I edited it to start the new one, but it never works.  WHere is the executable installed to when I start X I can get fvwm, so all I get are errors.  Another thing that seems to happen is that all the characters in console will get all messy and be in disorder .. so basically, can anyone help me install fvwm ?

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 15:06:58 +0200

> I installed redhat 5.2 and the default window managers were fvwm95 and afterstep ... I looked around and liked fvwm.  So I uninstalled the other fvwms with the -e oldfvwm.rpm type of command.  I in…

I'm not quite sure if you are aware that fvwm95 and fvwm (aka fvwm2)
are different window managers. No development has been going on on
fvwm95 for about two years now, so plain fvwm is probably what you
want.  If you feel uncomfortable with the red hat setup you can
fetch a copy of the latest stable release from our home page:

  http://fvwm.org

If you compile and install this package you will get a standard
installation in the standard location (/usr/loca/...). Be warned
that the deafult configuration isn't very nice yet (in fact it's
quite ugly).  There is a section about RH setup in the docs/FAQ file
in the distribution.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 10:29:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> I installed redhat 5.2 and the default window managers were fvwm95
> and afterstep ... I looked around and liked fvwm.  So I uninstalled the
> other fvwms with the -e oldfvwm.rpm type of command.  

I'm not sure why you bothered to do this, but...

> I installed the new version.  

How?  Did you install an rpm you downloaded from some site or did you
build fvwm2 version 2.2 taken from the fvwm site?

> Now it seems in .Xclients I edited it to start the new
> one, but it never works.  

To keep the same functionality that was set up in the original system
you might want to take a look at the system default Xclients file

/etc/X11/xinit/Xclients

which sources /usr/X11R6/bin/RunWM

> WHere is the executable installed to when I
> start X I can get fvwm, so all I get are errors.  

Is the executable fvwm2 that you wish to run come early in your path, i.e.
before any other verions? 

Another thing that
> seems to happen is that all the characters in console will get all messy
> and be in disorder .. so basically, can anyone help me install fvwm ?

Sure.  Do you want to install the latest version of fvwm2 rpm that you can
find or do you want to build and install fvwm2 yourself?

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> are different window managers. 

Dominik, I'm not sure I know what you mean by this statement.  In the
RedHat setup, the stript /usr/X11R6/bin/RunWM executes the statement

eval "exec fvwm${FVWMVER} ${FVWMOPTIONS}" > "$HOME"/.FVWM${FVWMVER}-errors
2>&1

where FVWMVER is either fvwm2, fvwm95 or fvwm95-2 with precedence in that
order.

and by default FVWMOPTIONS is 

"-cmd 'FvwmM4 -debug /etc/X11/AnotherLevel/fvwm2rc.m4"

In fact in this file you will even find statements like:

    echo "RESUMING with Fvwm2 (95 look)" >&2
    Start_Fvwm95

For all I can tell, fvwm95 is fvwm2 with the decors set up for the "95
look".  It's not my preferred decor, but...

> No development has been going on on

Tom

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 11:51:45 -0400

> RedHat setup, the stript /usr/X11R6/bin/RunWM executes the statement
...
> look".  It's not my preferred decor, but...

Dominik is probably assuming  the  same thing  I  would.  There was  a
split-off from  fvwm2 called fvwm95.  If  RedHat is calling fvwm2 with
W95 decor "fvwm95", I wish they would reconsider.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: sa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 16:59:34 -0600

> Osvaldo Rentas wrote:
> 
> I installed redhat 5.2 and the default window managers were fvwm95 and
> afterstep ... I looked around and liked fvwm.  So I uninstalled the
> other fvwms with the -e oldfvwm.rpm type of command.  I installed the
> new version.  Now it seems in .Xclients I edited it to start the new
> one, but it never works.  WHere is the executable installed to when I
> start X I can get fvwm, so all I get are errors.  Another thing that
> seems to happen is that all the characters in console will get all
> messy and be in disorder .. so basically, can anyone help me install
> fvwm ?

try this: 
1) comment out everything in your ~/.Xclients so all it reads is:

exec fvwm2

2) make sure fvwm2 is installed and in your path. to find out where it's
installed do this command: find / -name fvwm2

3) you could try uninstalling AnotherLevel, if you dont like it.( I
believe this is redhats fvwm95 program your talking about)

4) make sure you have a .fvwm2rc in your hom dir, you can get get sample
ones in the fvwm2 distribution.
it should then work, if I doesnt try putting the full path to fvwm2 in
your .Xclients

Good luck,
sa