Subject: FVWM: RE: ClickToFocus

From: Kelly French <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 09:25:14 -0500

Dominik,

Thanks for the reply.  It turns out that I did figure out that the
FocusIn and FocusOut messages weren't causing my problem.  The behavior
I'm trying to clear up is why I can get the input focus into an xterm
(for example) without my windowmanager explicitly giving it the focus.
I changed the NotifyEnter event handler to return without doing anything
which causes no window to be able to become active.  I thought that this
would keep the focus from being able to be switched but I was wrong.
Having to inactive but visible xterm windows up, the focus follows the
mouse but only when the mouse is over the xterm client, not the frame.
I was wondering how to keep that from happening.  I think my problem is
that no window had the focus so some default behavior was interfering
with what I was trying to do.  I noticed in some other window managers,
FVWM2 I think was one of them, keep a window around that is invisible
just to store the focus and my theory is that I need to do the same
thing.

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	Dominik Vogt [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Saturday, July 24, 1999 8:00 PM
>To:	Kelly French; [email-masked]
>Subject:	Re: ClickToFocus
>
>On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 11:43:40AM -0500, Kelly French wrote:
>> Hello,
>> 
>> I've been working on a stripped down window manager starting with lwm.
>> I've been trying to add and subtract features to suit what I'm trying to
>> end up with.  One of the things I'm trying to do is implement a
>> ClickToFocus behavior.
>> 
>> The reason I'm writing to this list is because I've been looking through
>> the fvwm2 source and have noticed ClickToFocus has been implemented as a
>> style and that it is checked in lots of places.  In trying to understand
>> how the focus events work I disable my NotifyEnter handler and this
>> keeps the focus from switching when the mouse is over the frame and
>> keeps the window from becoming active(raised?) when the mouse is over
>> the frame (because that code is in the NotifyEnter handler) but the
>> focus still switches when the mouse moves over the client.  Is their
>> some other message that is causing Focus change notification?  I tried
>> to include a FocusIn handler which did nothing but return but don't know
>> if you have to add some setting to make sure you receive that message.
>
>I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do. ClickToFocus has nothing
>to do with FocusIn/Out events in the first place. The window manager itself
>causes these events by switching the focus from one window to another
>(by calling XSetInputFocus). Some rare applications do this themself.
>
>Bye
>
>Dominik ^_^
>
>--
>Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].