Subject: FVWM: FVWM requires mouse-move to finish starting up?

From: Fuzzy Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 15:07:17 -0500

I decided to change around some of my X startup stuff, and found a
strange behavior of fvwm2.

Previously I would start all my clients from my .xsession script, and
then exec fvwm2 at the bottom.  Now my script basically just exec's
fvwm2, and I've moved my clients' startup to the InitFunction, like so:

    AddToFunc InitFunction
    +       "I" Exec xload
    +       "I" Exec oclock
    +       "I" Exec xcb
    +       "I" Exec netscape -iconic
    +       "I" Function StandardXterms
    +       "I" Exec ICQ

Strangely, though, when I start up my X session now, I am treated to a
completely blank X screen, and it will stay that way, indefinitely,
until I touch the mouse, moving it slightly.  Then the window manager
"wakes up" and runs its InitFunction.

Why does it do this?

-- 
   [email-masked] (Fuzzy Fox)      || "Nothing takes the taste out of peanut
sometimes known as David DeSimone  ||  butter quite like unrequited love."
  http://www.dallas.net/~fox/      ||                       -- Charlie Brown
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 01:37:34 +0200

> "wakes up" and runs its InitFunction.

That's hard to say unless you tell us the fvwm version you are using.
This should not happen.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Fuzzy Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 19:35:10 -0500

> That's hard to say unless you tell us the fvwm version you are using.

Sorry, fvwm 2.2.2.  Linux 2.2, libc5, XFree 3.3.2.

> This should not happen.

I agree.

I've seen it also on my Linux box at work, which is stock RedHat 6.0,
fvwm 2.2.