Subject: FVWM: problem with colorview on fvwm 2.2

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 11:01:32 +0200

Hi,

I got a few programs that were running on the default WM
for Irix (4DWm), but are crashing under Fvwm2. One example
is colorview, which shows colors from rgb.txt. I get the
following error :

[afterburner]  ~  (609) % colorview
X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
  Major opcode of failed request:  89 (X_StoreColors)
  Serial number of failed request:  176
  Current serial number in output stream:  183

Sounds like Fvwm2 locks colormap differently than 4Dwm. I am
running 24 bit TrueColor, which makes colormaps readonly anyway,
but I don't know what X_StoreColors is supposed to do.

Is there some freeware that does the same thing ? i.e. browsing
rgb.txt by color name or number and display the color ?

Cheers
Stephane

-- 
SILICON GRAPHICS                 EUROPEAN MANUFACTURING CENTER
##############################################################
Stephane Rosa                     Tel :     +41 (0)32 843-3638
Business Analyst                  Fax :     +41 (0)32 843-3909
APS/FP  Project                   GSM :     +41 (0)79 448-5335
--------------------------------------------------------------
irc.stealth.net     Euro-IRCNet   IRC :     Clipper on #geneva
ircnoc.neu.sgi.com  SGI Intranet  IRC :         EuroBA on #APS

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 00:09:59 +0200

> rgb.txt by color name or number and display the color ?

Try xcolors (graphical) or showrgb (text).

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 00:20:11 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

I seem to be getting real confused lately.

I'm trying to run xscreensaver when I log in by doing something like 

AddToFunc "InitFunction"
+ "I" Exec exec xscreensaver -timeout 1 
+ "I" Wait *screensaver

But after loging in I find that it is not running.  I've tried various
combinations of using Wait and not, using just Exec and using the
combination Exec exec, all to no avail.  Strangely though, It can be run
from the menu options.  Looking at the .fvwm2rc file I find that the menu
option is doing something like this:

# The following is added by package: xscreensaver
AddToMenu       AUTO_WM_CONFIG.Amusements.Screen_Savers "xscreensaver
(1min time out)"   Exec    xscreensaver -timeout 1 -cycle 1 &

I should mention that I am using a RedHat system.  I could use the & also,
but the man page for fvwm2 says NOT to do so.  Can someone please tell me
_why_ we should not use an & like done above?

Thanks Much,
Tom

_________________________________________________________________________
Thomas Gardiner
[email-masked]

University of Rochester
Department of Physics and Astronomy
P. O. Box 270171
Rochester, NY 14627-0171

(716) 275-9625 Office 2
(716) 275-0537 Office 1
(716) 275-8527 fax
__________________________________________________________________________

The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it
because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
If nature were not beautiful, it would not be worth knowing, and if nature
were not worth knowing, life would not be worth living.- Henri Poincare
__________________________________________________________________________

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 15 Jul 1999 10:19:45 -0400

%% "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]> writes:

  tag> I'm trying to run xscreensaver when I log in by doing something like 

  tag> AddToFunc "InitFunction"
  tag> + "I" Exec exec xscreensaver -timeout 1 
  tag> + "I" Wait *screensaver

  tag> But after loging in I find that it is not running.  I've tried
  tag> various combinations of using Wait and not, using just Exec and
  tag> using the combination Exec exec, all to no avail.  Strangely
  tag> though, It can be run from the menu options.  Looking at the
  tag> .fvwm2rc file I find that the menu option is doing something like
  tag> this:

  tag> # The following is added by package: xscreensaver
  tag> AddToMenu       AUTO_WM_CONFIG.Amusements.Screen_Savers "xscreensaver
  tag> (1min time out)"   Exec    xscreensaver -timeout 1 -cycle 1 &

I'm not sure; seems weird.

Do you have a log file you can look at to see if xscreensaver is giving
any errors?  I don't know that much about RedHat's setup, so I can't
tell you exactly where to look.

  tag> I should mention that I am using a RedHat system.  I could use
  tag> the & also, but the man page for fvwm2 says NOT to do so.  Can
  tag> someone please tell me _why_ we should not use an & like done
  tag> above?

The Exec function starts a subshell with the -c option to run your
command, then it abandons it.  Thus, the "&" is redundant since the
entire shell is already, in effect, in the background.

Exec _doesn't_ wait for the shell to exit, so there's no benefit to
using an "&".

Even more, what does "exec foo &" really mean?  Exec replaces the
current shell's runtime image with "foo", instead of invoking foo as a
subprocess.  But the "&" is supposed to execute "exec foo" in a
shubshell in the background...

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Tiefenback <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 10:52:31 -0400 (EDT)

>   Current serial number in output stream:  183

This is the kind of error that results from fvwm2 having a key binding
overriding that expected by the application.  I had this problem with a
Raise/Lower binding to a Ctrl-<something> from a default fvwmrc setup
(from fvwm version 1 days).  When the app tries to start up, it apparently
tries to register with the X server for its expected special keys.  It
dies when it cannot get direct access to the key it wants.  Check out all
of the hotkeys your app uses and find out which is already in use by
fvwm2.  Alternately (what I really did), delete all key bindings other
than root window bindings and successively add them back to find which
causes the problem.  The app will have to be restarted after eacy key
assignment, or at least have a new window popped up which expects the key
to be available.  

There should be appropriate key assignment references to this problem in
the mailing list archive.  I don't recall seeing anyone else suffer this
problem (or complain publicly about it), so it is possible you could find
them all by searching on my name in the archive.

Michael Tiefenback