Subject: FVWM: issues with noclobber shell variable

From: Martin Krzywinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:39:29 -0700 (PDT)

Cheers all!

I have found that I cannot start fvwm if my noclobber variable is set. It
appears that fvwm95 cannot clobber (overwrite) a file /tmp/fvwmrcaxxxxx
that it creates and therefore cannot start. This file is created after
fvwm is executed, because deleting any fvwmrc files in /tmp before execing
fvwm does not solve the problem. 

The error message appears in .FVWM2-errors and it's something like

sh: FVWM cannot clobber file /tmp/fvwmrcaxxxxxx

Question is, how do I have noclobber on and bypass this problem?

mk

---------------------------------------------------------
 I do desire we may be better strangers.
         William Shakespeare (As You Like It, I.vii.276)
--------------------------------------------- 1066/1423 -

Martin Krzywinski
System Administrator
Center for Integrated Genomics
BC Cancer Agency
600 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4E6
tel: (604) 877-6086
fax: (604) 877-6085
http://www.cigenomics.bc.ca

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:36:34 -0600

> fvwm does not solve the problem. 

Note that this is the wrong place to ask questions about fvwm95. It's
a spin off of fvwm2 and is not maintained on this list. I don't think
fvwm95 is actively maintained at all.

> Question is, how do I have noclobber on and bypass this problem?

Try to explicitly remove the old file. If you start fvwm95 from
.xinitrc you could try to insert this line before the line that
starts the WM:

  rm /tmp/fvwmrca*

Of course you should only delete your own files :)

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 07:28:31 -0400 (EDT)

Previously...

> Of course you should only delete your own files :)

I assume from the choice of fvwm95 that this is a RedHat system.  If so
and you start up your session through xdm, the graphical login interface,
then when logging in xdm looks for either a file .xsession or .Xclients in
your home directory.  See the script /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession .  If neither
is found it executes the script /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients .  In this script
there are already a number of file removes executed to clean up.  It seems
to me that if you copy this script into your home directory and rename it
to either .xsession or .Xclients then you can add the delete suggested by
Dominik there and be sure that nothing else will change with your login
session.

Tom