Subject: FVWM: Sun 5.6/Solaris & CDE 1.2 & pixmaps

From: Bruce Burden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 01:58:19 -0500 (CDT)

Hi all,

	I just got fvwm2 running on my Sun/Solaris and CDE 1.2. However,
   I can't find a pixmaps directory. So, apparently, I can't use toys
   like xclock, xbiff, and who knows what else.

	Should this installation of Solaris have a pixmaps directory? (No,
   I don't control the source, else I would look!) I do have XPM 3.4k
   for Solaris installed, if it matters.

	Is there some way to simply get rid of dtlogin/CDE, and simply
   use a nice "startx" program? No, I really don't think CDE is a "good
   idea".

						Thanks,
							Bruce
-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Bruce Burden            [email-masked]         Tandem Computers Inc.
  512-432-8944            Network Verification          14231 Tandem Blvd.
  Auto answer(4 rings)                                  Austin, TX 78726
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 11:13:32 -0400

>    like xclock, xbiff, and who knows what else.

I've never seen any xpm files shipped with Solaris.
Solaris does ship with black and white bitmaps which fvwm2 will use.

Use this command to find them:

find /usr/openwin -name '*.xbm'

The fvwm2  package contains a load of  icons, there just not installed
(yet).  Most of  them  are in  the  "icons"  directory of  the  source
distribution.

Even better, you probably want to check out:

http://wm-icons.dhs.org/

>    use a nice "startx" program? No, I really don't think CDE is a "good

Caution, second-hand information follows:

cd /etc/rc2.d
mkdir tmp
mv S99dtlogin tmp

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 11:03:22 -0400

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 01:58:19 -0500 (CDT)
Bruce Burden <[email-masked]> 
wrote concerning 'FVWM: Sun 5.6/Solaris & CDE 1.2 & pixmaps':

Hey Bruce

>    like xclock, xbiff, and who knows what else.

Huh? The absense of a pixmaps shouldn't affect the applications you
mention.

>    for Solaris installed, if it matters.

I'm running Solaris 2.5 and can only find some bitmap directories:

  /usr/openwin/share/include/X11/bitmaps
  /usr/openwin/share/include/Xol/bitmaps
  /usr/dt/share/include/bitmaps

You should be OK just using the icons/ directory that came with fvwm.

>    use a nice "startx" program? No, I really don't think CDE is a "good

On my machines I rename /etc/rc2.d/S99dtlogin to something
like _S99dtlogin (anything not starting with an 'S' or 'K').
This prevents dtlogin from starting at boot time.

You can base a startx program on /usr/openwin/bin/openwin (ugh),
or if you like I've got one I wrote which I could send you.

Cheers
Ric

Richard J Lister, Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Phone: +1 202-687 2878
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (william austin)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 12:01:25 -0400 (EDT)

> find /usr/openwin -name '*.xbm'

Wrong directory -- if you install the CDE desktop stuff, Sun ships tons of
xpm files in /usr/dt/appconfig/icons/C -- all those *.pm files are xpm files
for all the cde stuff.

> Caution, second-hand information follows:

Bad idea.  Instead (as root) run:

	/usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -d

which will disable the CDE desktop auto-start, and then TO KILL YOUR CURRENT
CDE LOGIN SESSION ALTOGETHER, run

	/usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -kill

Of course, you might be better off adding fvwm2 to your list of available
desktop managers so that if you needed to run CDE for something (???), you
still could... but to each his own...

Hope this helps,

William W. Austin			[email-masked]
					770 750-6954 VOICE / 770 750-7321 FAX
=============================================================================
			"Life is just a phase I'm going through..."
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].