Subject: Re: (bug)Re: FVWM: strange problem with xconsole and startup placement

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 20:44:08 -0400

Bob Woodside wrote:
> I'll look into this...

	Well, I finally got around to looking into it...sorry for the delay.

> Brian Servis wrote:
> >
> > First, I don't use virtual desktops larger than my current desktop, so a
> > page in this case is a desktop.
> > Second, I found a mistake(misunderstanding) in my config file.  I had a
> > Style "xconsole"   StartsOnPage 3 0 258.  I misunderstood the
> > 'position' as X coordinates not page coordinates.  Thus 768 times
> > 258 ~= 198402.  So I was putting it on the 258'th page of 1024x768
> > desk.
> > Third, command line arguments should always override config file
> > options. 
> > Thus even if I have the above Style defined in the fvwm
> > config, a comman line option using the xrm Xt option should override
> > it. 

	It does.

> > Thus in my case I had the StartsOnPage set incorrectly in the
> > config file but was calling xconsole with a correct invocation of
> > "*Page:3".

	Not quite correct, to do what you wanted. Your -xrm option doesn't
specify a page, just a desk. To override the config file setting, you
have to specify a page; not specifying one indicates that you don't care
what page is used, and that FVWM should place the window on whichever
page it had already decided to use - in this case, the one erroneously
specified in the config file. To override it the way you wanted, you'd
need to specify -xrm "*Page: 3 0 0" (since you use a 1x1 desktop, you're
always using page 0,0).

- Bob
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].