Subject: Re: FVWM: drag'n drop

From: "Douglas Straub" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 16:15:17 -0600

>%% Richard Lister <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>  >> http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~jafl/xdnd/
>
>  >> They do list icewm and Window Maker as "window managers that use
>  >> XDND", but it's not entirely clear to me what that means.  I can
>  >> see modules like FvwmButtons and FvwmWinList making use of it,
>  >> certainly.
>
>  rl> I think with windowmaker it means you can have active apps in the
>  rl> 'dock' (wm's buttons/toolbar), whereby dropping an object (file,
>  rl> url, text, etc) on the app will trigger an appropriate action.
>
>Yep... and FVWM's equivalent to the dock is FvwmButtons, thus my comment
>above :)
>
>IOW, I can't think of anything the _core_ FVWM app would do with D&D,
>but I can think of things that some of the _modules_ could do,
>certainly.
>
>I think it would be _'WAY_ cool if FvwmButtons supported D&D... I'd have
>to look more closely at the protocol, though, to see how the FvwmButtons
>configuration language would need to be extended to support it; I guess
>you'd want to define new kinds of actions for the different types of
>things that could be dropped on a button.

I modified a 2.2 version of FvwmWharf to accept drops via XDND, v3.   I also
wrote a simple
file-menu selection program so that one could select a file and drag it onto
Wharf which would
launch the application with the file.  However the menuing system is fairly
primitive, and should be rewritten with Mr. Vogt's new "dynamic" menus.
I'll muck around with the new version of
Fvwm this weekend and see if I can get it to work, and post it early next
week.  (I guess I
also have to check version 4 of XDND).

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].