Subject: FVWM: Re: FvwmEvent Core Dumps

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 21:19:21 -0400 (EDT)

Dominik,

That's great news!  Can you tell me the details of the fix for version
2.2.2 and later?  I tried one suggestion you'd made before to no avail.
I'd like to incorporate the inprovements to make the code more robust.

Thanks,

Tom

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 07:16:25AM -0400, Thomas A. Gardiner wrote:
> > Dominik,
> > 
> > On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> > > I can only guess the patch doesn't work with the taskbar from 2.2. BTW,
> > > can you send me what you've done in FvwmEvent again (i.e. which events did you
> > > remove)? Due to a configuration problem in my mail system I lost 50 mails
> > > or so.
> > 
> > Here's the e-mail I sent out regarding the cause of the core dumps.  I
> > guess this does constitute a bug of sorts, but I did not report it to the
> > bug tracking system, only to the Fvwm Mailing list.  It would be nice to
> > see FvwmEvent handle this better, by writing to stderr and reporting the
> > problem instead of core dumping.
> 
> Thanks. I've fixed the 'dump in post 2.2.2 code. There was no problem in
> 2.3.4 to fix.
> 
> Bye
> 
> Dominik ^_^
> 
> --
> Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> 

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:26:41 +0200

> I'd like to incorporate the inprovements to make the code more robust.

There were two events missing at the end of the list (before the builtin
events). These events are defined in fvwm/mnodule.h (at least in 2.2).
When you make a typo, FvwmEvent searches past the end of the list since
the lenght of the list is defined in module.h. Just add entries for the
missing two events.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 07:45:30 -0400 (EDT)

Dominik,

I hate to be a pest, but I assume you mean the "defines" which begin with
#define M_NEW_PAGE           (1)
#define M_NEW_DESK           (1<<1)
#define M_ADD_WINDOW         (1<<2)
...

I'm not sure what the missing events are however... Two which I do not see
are startup and shutdown, but these do not cause a core dump for me,
even though they also do nothing, so I suspect I'm missing something.
Moreover, if I find them, what do I define them as?  If it is too much
trouble to extract that section out of your header file can you point me
to a version of Fvwm which has the problem in module.h corrected.

Thanks Much,
Tom

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 15:03:16 +0200

> I hate to be a pest, but I assume you mean the "defines" which begin with

Your're not a pest, it's my fault. I could easily provide more complete
information if I had the time.

> #define M_ADD_WINDOW         (1<<2)

The missing parts are:

  #define M_LOCKONSEND         (1<<26)
  #define M_SENDCONFIG         (1<<27)

The problem was that a loop scanned the list of events until up to
MAX_MESSAGES didn't match, but MAX_MESSAGES is defined like this:

  #define MAX_MESSAGES         28

I.e. although the list had only 26 entries it tried to acces 28.
You need to add these two right after the "dewindowshade" line:

  "lockonsend",
  "sendconfig",

> even though they also do nothing, so I suspect I'm missing something.

The last three events seem to be internal events of FvwmEvent.

> to a version of Fvwm which has the problem in module.h corrected.

Uh, the flaw is in FvwmEvent.c, not in module.h. 
 
Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].