Subject: FVWM: color map problems

From: Gary Jackson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 16:20:30 -0400

I figured out the cause of my color map problems.  The color map
starts out fine, but when there is console output to the frame buffer
while fvwm is running, it gets all screwed up.  So, starting xconsole
before fvwm fixed this problem, and I feel like a moron.  Oddly
enough, however, I was not experiencing this problem with twm...

OBTW, am I talking at a wall here?  Why haven't I gotten a response of
any kind, even a "fsck off" or somesuch?

-- 
					Gary Jackson
					[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 24 Jun 1999 16:39:21 -0400

%% Gary Jackson <[email-masked]> writes:

  gj> I figured out the cause of my color map problems.  The color map
  gj> starts out fine, but when there is console output to the frame
  gj> buffer while fvwm is running, it gets all screwed up.  So,
  gj> starting xconsole before fvwm fixed this problem, and I feel like
  gj> a moron.  Oddly enough, however, I was not experiencing this
  gj> problem with twm...

That _is_ really weird.

I typically start X with stdout and stderr redirected to a file, so that
I never get anything printed directly to the screen.  Something like:

  $ startx >& ~/.Xerrorlog

or somesuch

  gj> OBTW, am I talking at a wall here?  Why haven't I gotten a
  gj> response of any kind, even a "fsck off" or somesuch?

Probably no one had any idea what to tell you, and everyone was waiting
for someone else to say something :).

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Gary Jackson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 18:26:43 -0400

>  gj> a moron.  Oddly enough, however, I was not experiencing this

I ascribe it to Sun Ultra5 crapulence.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 23:56:43 +0200

> any kind, even a "fsck off" or somesuch?

Sorry if you are angry now. I think simply nobody had an idea what
could have caused this. Normally I'd have mailed back some question, but
I felt totally incompetent here. I really would have replied to this mail
some time, but at the moment my mailbox has 285 mails I have still to work
on (counting fvwm mails only). Please accept our apologies.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 21:54:08 -0400

> on (counting fvwm mails only). Please accept our apologies.

Same here.  There's lots of people on this mailing list that want
to help.  You just had a problem no one would hazard a guess on.

Any one else that feels they are being ignored, try again with more
information.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Tiefenback <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 23:39:06 -0400 (EDT)

> > > any kind, even a "fsck off" or somesuch?

And they all rolled over and said (along with me, off-list), "Sorry".  
But really, this would have left me off in the ozone.  This seems like a
Really Good Candidate for a Hall of Fame "Nasty Problem" list.  As it is
probably very memory allocation specific, using different wm's with all
else the same could cause very different behavior.  Is there a list of
really obscure "I saw this once" issues assembled for problem debuggers to
go through?  The corrective action Gary took was not intuitively obvious,
but was so easy to try that it would be worth a place on such a list.  At
the very least, it appears so if one has the same platform.

Now I'll go back into lurk mode until I see something I know about.  And
thanks for all of you who read and make suggestions.  You're a great
crowd.  (That's the nearest approach I can make to an fvwm-related topic.)

Michael Tiefenback

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 08:11:03 -0400

> go through?  The corrective action Gary took was not intuitively obvious,

I can think of 2 lists:

1.  Our collective memories
2.  The mail archives

I don't think a list would have helped.  I don't think the problem was
ever reported before.  Even if we had known about the missing XConsole
process, I've  seen raw output on  the X display lots  of times.  I've
never seen it cause color map problems.

I just wrote a binary to my Ultra 5's X display.  It makes a mess that
could be interpreted as the colormap being messed up, but the colormap
is fine.

If the   problem  turns out to  occur  with  more  frequency, it would
qualify for another list, the FAQ.