Subject: FVWM: Colors in FvwmIconMan

From: Dan Boger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 11:58:48 -0400

Hi all,

  I'm using fvwm 2.2 and have a small question.  Is there a way to
tell the iconman to change to color of a specific window according to
the window icon?  What I want to accomplish is that when I change to
root user, the window background in the iconman will turn red.  Is it
possible?

Thanks,

  Dan
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 10:14:02 -0700

Previously...
>root user, the window background in the iconman will turn red.  Is it

I'm not sure I understand your question. "Change to root user" where?
There's no way I'm aware of to change the owner of an X window. You
mean like if you 'su - root' in an xterm?

In any event, even if there were, FvwmIconMan doesn't care who owns
the windows it looks after. And FvwmIconMan also doesn't know how to
display a specific button differently than all the others, except to
indicate which button has the focus and which one you're currently
selecting in FvwmIconMan. So, I *think* the answer to your question is
no, but I'm not sure I've understood it.
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"I'm not paid to care." -ASR
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Boger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 13:23:43 -0400

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 10:14:02 -0700 Michael Han <[email-masked]> wrote
> mean like if you 'su - root' in an xterm?
Yes, I thought I was not asking clearly enough.  I currently have 5
instances of iconman on my screen - each deals with a different type
of window.  When the title of an xterm changes to "root@*" it moves
from one iconman to the other:

*FvwmIconMan*2*show       title=root*
*FvwmIconMan*5*show       class=XTerm class=NXTerm class=XWsh

> no, but I'm not sure I've understood it.

guess it's not possible, too bad. :)  Thanks for the response though.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan Boger - Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
[email-masked]                                     ICQ: 1130750
Georgetown University Medical Center                       Washington, DC

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 10:54:41 -0700

Previously...
>guess it's not possible, too bad. :)  Thanks for the response though.

Ah, but if *that's* what you're doing, you can set:

*FvwmIconMan*2*plainbutton flat black red

See the entries for plainbutton, focusbutton, selectbutton and
focuselectbutton (or was it selectfocusbutton?) in the manpage.
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"I will not be a snickerpuss." - Lisa
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 20:11:59 +0200

> *FvwmIconMan*5*show       class=XTerm class=NXTerm class=XWsh

Taht is no problem. You have to start the 'root' FvwmIconMan under
a different name like 'FvwmRootIconMan' (create a symbolic link to
the original icon manager). Then simply use the different prefix
for an independent configuration of the icon manager:

 *FvwmRootIconMan...

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].