Subject: FVWM: Two questions with FVWM2

From: "Luke X. Ma" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 16:50:03 +0000

Two questions with FVWM2.2.2:

1) I can not lock the screen. To leave my desk for a while I have
to close all applications and logout.
2) There is not status bar. If I minimize a screen, it will
disappear. I can not get it back.

Luke Ma
[email-masked]

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:54:44 -0400

> to close all applications and logout.
the window manager doesn't handle locking try 
man xlock or man xscreensaver

> disappear. I can not get it back.
Huh?? I don't understand your question, do you mean you minimize a window and don't get an icon??.  If that is the case you, need to set up you .fvwm2rc to give you icons, try man fvwm2 and look for icons

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Studdert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 18:01:18 +0100 (BST)

> disappear. I can not get it back.

Hi,

	I'd just like to thank Luke for asking about these questions, as
since I've subscribed to this list a week ago, the majority of the
questions - and especially the answers - have been very technical, at
least from the perspective of someone not very knowledgeable about Linux,
and FVWM. ( Not that I'm complaining of course - these are still helpful
even to me, and I'm still taking notes :) )

	But to the point of my posting - I'd just like to add a quick
question about this kind of visual config - is there any config manager
for that kind of thing, like Linuxconf for the system config? I've been
pottering around in my system for a while now, and I've found dozens of
likely suspects, but keep hitting dead-ends, or what seem like them...

	Thanks and sorry if this is a bit obvious for the list,
	John

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 28 Jun 1999 13:38:27 -0400

%% Studdert <[email-masked]> writes:

  s> 	But to the point of my posting - I'd just like to add a quick
  s> question about this kind of visual config - is there any config
  s> manager for that kind of thing, like Linuxconf for the system
  s> config?

Go to the links page off of http://www.fvwm.org and find links to the
Dotfile Generator, which has a FVWM config module, and the FvwmConf
tool.

The next version of FVWM (2.4) will have some graphical dialogues for
very basic configuration of some of the modules.

There's also a link to tkgoodstuff which is an alternative to the
FvwmButtons module; the nice thing about this is you can completely
configure the buttonbar with graphical setup dialogues: make new
buttons, change colors, fonts, etc. etc.

There are also some other peoples' configurations, for hints.

Finally, though, it's important to realize that FVWM is just a window
manager.  It's _not_ a desktop environment.  If you're coming from the
MS-Windows or Macintosh world this can be a tricky mental transition.
X, in some ways at least, follows the UNIX tradition of having lots of
smaller tools that work together, rather than one huge tool that does
everything (there are several obvious exceptions :).

The disadvantage to this is you sometimes have to poke around to find
what you want.  The advantage is flexibility: you can combine these in
really new and unusual ways, or switch to a different one whenever you
want, etc.

Thus, one crucial tool for your desktop is a window manager--but a
window manager isn't a complete desktop.  The WM deals with
placing/moving/resizing/iconifying windows, and it controls which window
has the input focus.  That's _fundamentally_ all it does.  WM's like
FVWM have lots of fancy ways to do the above, but it's still the same.
The other common thing WM's do is control what happens when the root
window has focus, like providing popup menus, etc.

Thinks like screensavers, file managers, wallpaper managers, even task
bars (although some WMs build in the latter) are really not strictly the
purview of a window manager.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Richard Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 08:37:43 +0100

> Huh?? I don't understand your question, do you mean you minimize a window and don't get an icon??.  If that is the case you, need to set up you .fvwm2rc to give you icons, try man fvwm2 and look fo…

or man FvwmWinList if you want a task bar approach rather than loose
icons.

---

From: Luke Ma <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 10:11:44 -0500

Thank you my friends. That's my questions and you gave me the answers.

Luke Ma