Subject: FVWM: window focus problems?

From: Marc Pavese <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 16:17:15 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, All. 

I've been using fvwm2.2 for about a month now. Very nice. (Currently
running 2.2.2 on sun-solaris, w/o c++ modules.) I have one problem I just
don't understand, though. 

In my .fvwm2rc, I have

Style "*" ClickToFocus

and

Key F9		A	M	Next [ CurrentScreen CurrentDesk ] Focus
Key F10		A	M	Prev [ CurrentScreen CurrentDesk ] Focus

So that I can use the keyboard to switch the window focus around the
screen. The problem is that every now and then it just stops working
right! Some windows at random become "unaccessable" -- I can't move the
focus to them with the keyboard, only by moving the mouse onto them and
clicking.

Once I've clicked on the unaccessable window, usually the other
group becomes unaccessable. It is like there's some barrier in the
window list preventing the Next & Prev commands from getting the whole
way through. 

(Another detail: I give some of my sticky windows, like xbiff, the
attributes WindowListSkip and CirculateSkip, so that they never get focus
from my keyboard shortcuts. Sometimes it seems like this may be the source
of the problem, but I can't be sure.)

Any insights? 

Thanks,
			--- Marc.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Stephen C. Koehler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 15:58:24 -0500

> focus to them with the keyboard, only by moving the mouse onto them and

I get this exact problem when I have deleted or iconified a particular 
sticky window and my cursor is no longer over another window on the 
screen. Interestingly, I also lose all key mappings at that point until I 
manually point the mouse at a window.  This sounds related to the problem 
you are having.

I tried to solve this by defining functions to specify what to do after 
iconifying a window or deleting a window.  My goal was to pick the next 
reasonable window on the current screen.  However, I never got 
satisfactory results, and the partial results I got were noticably slow.  
For now, I live with the fact that I occasionally need to reestablish 
focus using the mouse.
-- 
Steve Koehler               
Secure Computing Corporation
[email-masked]