Subject: FVWM: Slow focus changes

From: Mark Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:22:17 -0700

Fellow Virtual Window Manager users,

I recently switched from 2.0.43 to 2.2.2
Now when I use my bindings for switching focus bewteen windows, there is a full second pause between the raise and the focus change for a window.

This is extremely annoying, does anyone have any ideas for me to check?

Key Tab		A	M	Next [!iconic CurrentScreen CurrentDesk] circ
Key Tab		A	SM	Prev [!iconic CurrentScreen CurrentDesk] circ
Key Tab		A	C	Next [CurrentScreen CurrentDesk] circ
Key Tab		A	SC	Prev [CurrentScreen CurrentDesk] circ

AddToFunc Circ
+ "I" Focus
+ "I" Raise

Mark Anderson

I express my own opinions, and do not represent my employer.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ke Huang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:02:16 -0500 (CDT)

>Key Tab		A	SC	Prev [CurrentScreen CurrentDesk] circ

This is because you would be better off using

AddToFunc Circ "I" Focus
+ "I" Raise

or if you are fussy about style (like I am)

AddToFunc \
  "I" Focus
+ "I" Raise

Either of these should fix your problem.

>I express my own opinions, and do not represent my employer.

-- Ke Huang
------------------------------------------
e-mail:  [email-masked]  (preferred)
         [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 13:08:41 -0600

> Either of these should fix your problem.

Why?

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 10:11:03 -0700

> > Either of these should fix your problem.

FVWM Experts,

Does anyone know the answer to this question?
Why does an empty line on the AddToFunc line cause a large delay?
If I had a preprocessor creating these files, and selecting from a 
predefined set of commands to put in the function, I find it simpler,
and IMHO elegant to define the function that will be modified without 
tacking the definition onto the same line.

For menus at least a title definition makes sense on the first line.

Mark

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 13:21:48 -0400 (EDT)

> For menus at least a title definition makes sense on the first line.

This is an artifact from the original "intention" of functions, which
was to provide a set of functions that could be performed when a
titlebar button is pressed.

What happens if there isn't an "immediate" "I" after the AddToFunc Circ
is that fvwm2 pauses for a certain amount of time in order to detect if
a "double click" happened.  Now, since functions are no longer only
spawned by title bar buttons, this pause isn't needed.  I think the
weird syntax was to tell fvwm2 NOT to ever delay for a double click.

-- 
Larry Gensch					      [email-masked]

 "Realize you should why a Jedi his lightsaber as a toothpick should not use!"

---

From: Ke Huang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:30:22 -0500 (CDT)

>For menus at least a title definition makes sense on the first line.

Mark, 

  Do you mean to say that this delay was not present in 2.0.x? I thought I had
  to deal with that ever since the 2.0.x. Anyway, I tried to look through the
  source, but it seems to me the code covers the case where there is nothing on
  the AddToFunc line, and is not doing any excessive searching. So, in the end,
  I came out no wiser than before.

  As a workaround, can't you tell your preprocessor to put a '\' at the end of
  the AddToFunc line, and remove the + from the next.

  This should probably be considered a bug.

  Ke Huang

-- Ke Huang

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 23 Jun 1999 13:34:15 -0400

>> > Either of these should fix your problem.

  ma> FVWM Experts,

  ma> Does anyone know the answer to this question?  Why does an empty
  ma> line on the AddToFunc line cause a large delay?

Well, Dominik is one of the most expert FVWM Experts there is :).  I
think perhaps his question is better phrased as, why do you think this
will make a difference?

FWIW, I do this kind of thing all the time and I don't notice any extra
delays.  I'm not using 2.2.2, though.

I do seem to recall that early on in the 2.3.x phase, before even 2.3.1
was cut I think, there was a change that caused this to happen... but
it's been fixed for ages and was never in any released versions that I
know of.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 23 Jun 1999 14:41:53 -0400

%% [email-masked] writes:

  lg> This is an artifact from the original "intention" of functions,
  lg> which was to provide a set of functions that could be performed
  lg> when a titlebar button is pressed.

  lg> What happens if there isn't an "immediate" "I" after the AddToFunc
  lg> Circ is that fvwm2 pauses for a certain amount of time in order to
  lg> detect if a "double click" happened.  Now, since functions are no
  lg> longer only spawned by title bar buttons, this pause isn't needed.
  lg> I think the weird syntax was to tell fvwm2 NOT to ever delay for a
  lg> double click.

Is this really true?  I can hardly believe it.  I can see
differentiating between, say:

  AddToFunc Circ
  + "I" something

vs.

  AddToFunc Circ
  + "C" something

where the clicktime is needed if you want to know if you had a
double-click or not (although maybe you really only need to wait if both
a "C" _and_ a "D" are given?)... but differentiating between:

  AddToFunc Circ [...anything...]

vs.

  AddToFunc Circ
  + [...anything...]

_has_ to be a bug... doesn't it?  Isn't this just merely a parsing
issue, and the difference is completely resolved during the fvwm2rc file
parsing at startup?

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 21:56:17 +0200

> it's been fixed for ages and was never in any released versions that I

Okay, now this has aroused my interest. I remember vaguely that there
was such a problem. I can see it with 2.2.0, but with 2.3.4 it's gone
which is no wonder as both, the function execution code and the function
parsing code has undergone extensive rewrites. I guess it won't be
fixed in the 2.2.x series.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].