Subject: FVWM: Using FVWM under Exceed

From: Nishad Metha <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 09:33:28 -0500

I looked at the FAQ, but did not see anything about being able to
use FVWM under Exceed. I've used FVWM a while ago and
Loved it, and would really like to use it again. The difference is I'm
using Exceed to get to the Sun box. In the Xconfig setup there's
options to set the window manager - I'm not sure what I'd have to
default to and then kick off FVWM. Any suggestions on what I
need to do to make this happen ?

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Pete Forman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 15:54:20 +0100 (BST)

Nishad Metha writes:
 > use FVWM under Exceed. I've used FVWM a while ago and Loved it, and
 > would really like to use it again. The difference is I'm using
 > Exceed to get to the Sun box. In the Xconfig setup there's options
 > to set the window manager - I'm not sure what I'd have to default
 > to and then kick off FVWM. Any suggestions on what I need to do to
 > make this happen ?

I've found that configuring Exceed to use XDM lets me kick off fvwm
from my .xsession as with other X terminals.

An experiment which gave me some grief was remotely executing an
.xinitrc/.xsession as an Xclient of Exceed.  What was happening
(unbeknownst to me at first) was that Exceed reset the Xserver
whenever it had zero clients.  My .xinitrc script was xset followed by
xrdb and then fvwm.  I found it difficult to understand why the xset
and xrdb had no effect.  The getaround was to put a persistent client
as the first entry, e.g. xclock&.  This held the Xserver open for the
other clients to connect to.

I gave up on the latter and use XDM to Solaris 2.6.  A further gotcha
is that I found that I had to use the OpenView profile.  CDE had a
nasty side effect of opening up an extra Xserver on the Sun's console, 
much to the displeasure of the person using it.
-- 
Pete Forman
Western Geophysical
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].