Subject: FVWM: fvwm2 under RedHat 6.0

From: Boris Alemi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 14:00:09 -0400 (EDT)

I am sorry if this is a repeat but I just subscribed to this list.

I have installed the new RedHat 6.0 and being an avid supporter of fvwm I
would like to use it under the new operating system. I previously used it
under RH5.2 without any problems. However under 6.0 I can only start fvwm
using startx and cannot start fvwm from xdm screen. Everytime I start from
xdm it seems to want to force me to use a gnome compliant window manager
and ...

Any suggestions.

                                   Boris Alemi

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Adam Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 23:18:45 +0100

> xdm it seems to want to force me to use a gnome compliant window manager

Okay, perhaps this is too obvious, but I believe that xdm reads .xsession
whereas startx reads .xinitrc. If you don't have a .xsession, try copying
your .xinitrc and see if that helps. If you do, sorry for wasting your time.
(I haven't used RedHat 6.0 myself.)

-- 
Adam Rice -- [email-masked] -- Blackburn, Lancashire, England

---

From: Graeme McCaffery <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 13:27:49 +0000

The window manager used with gnome in Redhat 6.0 is changeable in the Gnome
Control Centre under the descriptive name "window managers".

simply add fvwm, test it works with try and then click ok. make sure you save
settings before you log out.

on this subject can the developers give some idea when fvwm will be compatible
with both KDE and Gnome. Having looked at Enlightenment I'm quite impressed.
sure it's all just eye candy and a big resource hog but its configuration
program is amazing.
I think it should be relatively easy to change this program's parsing to
configure Fvwm. When I've got time I'll have a look at it, but since I'm very
busy don't rely on me.

Graeme

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 21 May 1999 11:55:14 -0400

%% Graeme McCaffery <[email-masked]> writes:

  gm> on this subject can the developers give some idea when fvwm will
  gm> be compatible with both KDE and Gnome.

The next version of fvwm (2.4) will definitely have GNOME support.  It's
actually already in there, if you want to try one of the development
snapshots (see the web page for links and info).

So far, while people have expressed an interest in wanting KDE support,
no one has signed up to do it (one of the GNOME folks actually did the
whole first cut at GNOME support).

As for configuration, 2.4 will also see some more self-configuration
menus using FvwmForm, similar to what was done for FvwmAnimate in 2.2.
In particular if you start fvwm2 "from scratch" with no ~/.fvwm2rc you
should have a much nicer experience than before.

There are other things that should make configuration simpler: modules
will honor some "global settings" like background color, foreground
color, etc. so that getting a consistent "theme" will be easier.

It won't cover everything, obviously, but we're thinking about these
issues.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].