Subject: FVWM: iconification bug?

From: jason <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 22:47:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

  I'm seeing some interesting iconification behavior in fvwm 2.2.  I hope
I can explain it clearly.  (My apologies if this has already been
reported.)

  Suppose I have a window on a given page.  Now, I drag it toward the edge
of the screen, so that more than 50% of its height or more than 50% of its
width (or both) is unviewable.  Now, I perform an Iconify on said window.
Depending on where it's hanging off of the current page, the window
iconifies onto another (adjacent) page, and in some cases iconifies into
thin air!

There are far too many cases to list, but I'll quickly go over my
findings.  I have a 7x7 desktop.  I call the 6x6 middle pages of my
desktop the 'internal' pages on my desktop.  For any 'internal' page, I've
found that if the window is hanging more than 50% of the way off of the
_____ edge(s), then the window will iconify on the page _____ the current
page:

left              :  to the left of
right             :  to the right of
top               :  above
bottom            :  below
left and top      :  to the left of and above
right and top     :  to the right of and above
left and bottom   :  to the left of and below
right and bottom  :  to the right of and below

This is at least consistent.  :-)

For non-internal pages on my desktop, it's pretty much up for grabs where
the icon goes upon iconification.  In my investigation, I've found that
symmetric cases do not necessarily lead to symmetric results -- for
example, iconifying a window hanging off the left edge of any leftmost
page will cause the icon to appear on the current page (good!), but
iconifying a window hanging off the right edge of any rightmost page will
result in the icon disappearing into thin air, only to be retrieved via
the Window List (bad!).  It's too much typing for me to list other cases,
so I will only do that if I'm begged to.  :-)

  My guess is that this is sufficient information to track down the
problem, and that it will hopefully have an easy fix that will take care
of the more complicated examples that I am omitting.  Or even better, it
would be nice if this problem was spotted and fixed already.  In that
case, I apologize for the redundancy.  :-)  Please feel free to contact me
if you need anything clarified.

Cheers,
-jason

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 12:41:12 +0200

> so I will only do that if I'm begged to.  :-)

The only 'real' problem I see is the case where the window simply vanishes.
All other cases were intended by the person that wrote the code in the first 
place. Anyway, this has been changed in the development sources. Now, whenever
at least a single pixel of the window is visible it will iconify on the 
current page. That may not help with the vanishing window. I will check and
fix this problem.

> if you need anything clarified.

Thanks for the excellent problem report. This is the quality that saves
us much time (which we can spend on new features).

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 23:43:10 +0200

> us much time (which we can spend on new features).

Fixed.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].