Subject: FVWM: X-Terminals

From: "Brian D. McGrew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 18:41:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, All ...

     Quick question.  I'm using a virtual 2x2 desktop.
 How, using what commands can I tell X-Terminal which
desktop I want it to load on.  (ie. I want to load one
on desktop 1x1, 1x2 and 2x2; but not 2x1).  Can this
be done?  If so, can someone give me the command?

Thanks,

===
Brian D. McGrew, Owner
Temecula Valley Web Service

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Bathie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 14:04:21 +1000 (EST)

Assuming you have a seperate terminal for each configuration you want. You
must edit your .fvwm2rc file, there should be a line somewhere in it
looking something like this 

DeskTopSize 3x2

just change the params to 1x1 or 1x2 etc

I hope this is what you want ??

Mark Bathie.

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 08:22:30 +0100

> be done?  If so, can someone give me the command?

  <Ahem>  "RTFM".

  (BTW, I believe the pages start at '0' not '1').

  To quote man fvwm2:

     Some applications that understand standard Xt  command  line
     arguments  and  X  resources, like xterm and xfontsel, allow
     the user to specify the start-up desk or page on the command
     line:

          xterm -xrm "*Desk:1"

     will start an xterm on desk number 1;

          xterm -xrm "*Page:3 2 1"

     will start an xterm two pages to the right and one down from
     the  upper left hand page of desk number 3. Not all applica-
     tions understand the use of these options, however.

  Mind you, I've not tried that myself ... and you may be able to omit the
desk number as you can with StartsOnPage.

-- 
========================- http://www.rrds.co.uk/ -======================
 Neil Bird                   |   This is who we are     The time is near
                             |        There are 240 days remaining
 mailto:[email-masked] |                           [ T-33 days! ]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 10:43:13 -0400

>   (BTW, I believe the pages start at '0' not '1').

	Yes, they do.

> desk number as you can with StartsOnPage.

	Yes, you can. "*Page: 2 1" will give you this relative page positioning
on the current desktop. (The full resource name is actually
"Fvwm.Page".)

	Also, in most cases you'd probably want to set a style like

Style "xterm" SkipMapping

to avoid warping to each desktop in turn as these xterms are started up.
At least I would find that annoying.

	Brian -- you didn't tell us what release of FVWM you're using. This
technique that Neil describes requires 2.2 or later. If you're using
2.0.46, there's a patch available to implement StartsOnPage.

	If you're using version 1, you're out of luck. You have to use the old
hack of specifying geometries on the command line to position the
windows beyond the boundaries of the currently visible viewport (page),
and it only works if you are on page 0,0 (upper left hand corner) when
you start them. (And, frankly, I won't guarantee that it works at all:
version 1 hasn't been actively supported for a long time.)

- Bob