Subject: FVWM: strange problem with xconsole and startup placement

From: Brian Servis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 18:13:47 -0500 (EST)

I am having a really weird problem with xconsole and fvwm placing it at
startup.

I start it with the following:

xconsole -file /dev/xconsole -bg black -fg green -font 5x7 -geometry 743x69+0+258 -xrm "*Page:3"

Yet when it starts it does not show on page 3.  If I bring up the
windowlist it list it with the geometry of: 743x69+0+198402.
                                                    ^^^^^^^^
                                                     yikes!!!
                                                     
If I select the window from the window list it brings the window to
+0+0. At which point I can then drag it to the appropiate place in the
window(+0+258).

I am running at 1024x768 on Debian Linux 2.1 with X 3.3.3.1, SVGA server
and fvwm 2.2.

This is the only window that does this.  Any clues as why this is
happening?

-- 
Brian 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Mechanical Engineering                              [email-masked]
Purdue University                   http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis
---------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 20:22:24 -0400

Brian Servis wrote:
> 
> I am having a really weird problem with xconsole and fvwm placing
> it at startup.
> 

	The problem is that there is no such thing as "page 3": pages are
icentified by a pair of x,y coordinates relative to the page at the
upper left hand corner of the virtual desktop (0 0). If, for example,
you want to place the window on the third page of the top row of the
desktop grid, you would specify "FvwmPage: 2 0".

	You should take a closer look at the StartsOnPage option of the Style
command in the man page. If you specify only one argument, this means
you're specifying the desk, not the page. Two arguments specify a
relative page on the current desk, and three arguments specify desk and
page.

- Bob

---

From: Brian Servis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 07:06:45 -0500 (EST)

*- On 25 May, Bob Woodside wrote about "Re: FVWM: strange problem with xconsole and startup placement"
> relative page on the current desk, and three arguments specify desk and

First, I don't use virtual desktops larger than my current desktop, so a
page in this case is a desktop. 

             StartsOnPage takes 1, 2, or 3 numeric arguments. If
             one  or  three  arguments  are givem, the first (or
             only) argument is the  desktop  number. 

Second,	I found a mistake(misunderstanding) in my config file.  I had a 
Style "xconsole"   StartsOnPage 3 0 258.  I misunderstood the
'position' as X coordinates not page coordinates.  Thus 768 times
258 ~= 198402.  So I was putting it on the 258'th page of 1024x768
desk.
                                                        If  three
              arguments  are  given,  the  2nd  and 3rd arguments
              identify the x,y page position on the virtual  win
              dow.
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                  I misunderstood this.
                                  
Third, command line arguments should always override config file
options. Thus even if I have the above Style defined in the fvwm
config, a comman line option using the xrm Xt option should override
it. Thus in my case I had the StartsOnPage set incorrectly in the
config file but was calling xconsole with a correct invocation of
"*Page:3".

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 23:38:17 -0400

> page in this case is a desktop.

	I'm sorry. How can you stand it?  :-)

> 258 ~= 198402.  So I was putting it on the 258'th page of 1024x768

	Aha! I noticed this relationship after I sent the reply, and wondered
what might be going on.

> config file but was calling xconsole with a correct invocation of

	As it happens, I'm looking at this area of the code at the moment, for
completely unrelated reasons. I'll look into this while I'm there.

- Bob