Subject: FVWM: FVWM and xdm and Debian

From: Matthew Wade Roberts <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 13:46:50 -0500 (CDT)

I'm running xdm on my machine with FVWM.  When I exit FVWM (using the 'Quit'
command) my screen locks up and I get a lot of garbage on the screen.  A few
seconds later xdm starts up again.

Is there anyway to avoid this?  I guess I'm wondering if there is another
command that would provide a smoother transition.

Also, anyone know when the FVWM 2.2 package will be available for Debian?

Thanks,

Matt
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 17 May 1999 15:39:23 -0400

%% Matthew Wade Roberts <[email-masked]> writes:

  mwr> I'm running xdm on my machine with FVWM.  When I exit FVWM (using
  mwr> the 'Quit' command) my screen locks up and I get a lot of garbage
  mwr> on the screen.  A few seconds later xdm starts up again.

That's not your screen locking up; that the X server restarting.

When you login, you do all kinds of things to the server; load database
info, etc.  The best/only way to get a "clean" X server for the next guy
who logs in, is to restart the server.

  mwr> Is there anyway to avoid this?  I guess I'm wondering if there is
  mwr> another command that would provide a smoother transition.

Well, there's no way to avoid the X server restart; that's part of the
architecture of xdm.

I suppose it depends a lot on the particular X server, what happens to
your video display during the time the server is restarting.  Some might
try harder to leave the screen looking "nice" during the restart... I
suppose for some video cards that might not even be possible.

In any case, this isn't an fvwm question :).  You'd see the same
behavior with any other window manager.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jim Nicholson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 19:04:39 -0400 (EDT)

> Also, anyone know when the FVWM 2.2 package will be available for Debian?

2.2 is currently packaged with debian unstable.

- Jim