Subject: FVWM: Multiple WM

From: Francois Arcasedda <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 May 99 15:45:40 BST

Hi,

I've got a solaris station that people are using from their PC with Exceed.
When all the users on their PC use CDE as their WM, everything is fine.
But now I've got a set of users that want to use fvwm instead.
So, I've installed it but we cannot run it becasue CDE is running as well.

Question: Is it possible and how to have both WM manager running for multiple
users using Excced on their PC?

Thanks in advance.

Francois Arcasedda.

____________________________________________________________________
Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Andrew Laden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 10:56:57 -0400 (EDT)

When I set up Exceed, I didn't set it up to use CDE, even though I had it
available. I just set Exceed up in passive mode, then wrote an xstart file
to launch the window manager itself, with an appropriate -display setting.
(Well, I wrote a shell script wrapper to set some environment variables
first.) The menus were all generated from the window manager, so it all
worked pretty well. The users essentially get a unix "desktop in a window"
on thier NT stations. This concept was familar to them, having used WinDD
and WTS on thier old unix stations before.

 One caveate is that you lose access to /dev/console. We had some old
scripts that tried to write to there and had to be re-written.

-Andrew

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrew V. Laden               | Voice: (212) 486-8295
A.V.P. Technology             | Fax  : (212) 355-4271
Sakura Global Capital         | Quote: "Its not my fault!
[email-masked]                |          They told me they fixed it!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------