Subject: FVWM: Help compiling fvwm2.2

From: Matt Shacklady <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 19:55:10 +0100

Hi,

I am struggling a little trying to compile the latest version  of fvwm,
I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on my problem.
All seems to go well until the linking stage....here is an output with
all debug options turned on....
...snip...
Loading /usr/lib/milli.a(rem2I.o):
Loading /usr/lib/milli.a(dyncallU.o):
Loading /usr/lib/milli.a(cerror.o):
/usr/bin/ld: (Warning) The file /usr/lib/milli.a(errnet.o) has not been
fully checked for unsatisfied symbols. This behavior may change in
future releases.
Loading /usr/lib/milli.a(movelr1.o):
Searching library /usr/lib/milli.a:
  Selecting mul12U.o to resolve $$mul12U
    referenced from /usr/lib/milli.a(mul2U.o)
Loading /usr/lib/milli.a(mul12U.o):
Searching library /usr/lib/milli.a:
/usr/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
   shl_findsym (code)
   shl_load (code)
   shl_unload (code)
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I am trying to compile it on a HP 10.20 system
any help gratefully received....

--
Matt

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 18 May 1999 15:56:27 -0400

What is "milli.a" and why are you trying to link with it?  I've never
heard of that before... maybe some HP-UX system library?

Anyway, you'll have to give more details on your system, such as what
compiler you're using, any special config flags you specified, _what_
you're trying to link (fvwm2?  Some module?); please provide the actual
link command that gets executed by make, not just the errors that the
command generates... without the command the errors are hard to interpret.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Matt Shacklady <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 21:09:27 +0100

> heard of that before... maybe some HP-UX system library?

I have no idea.... :) 

> you're trying to link (fvwm2?  Some module?); please provide the 

apologies for lack of information....hopefully this may help a bit more

I am trying to compile fvwm2.2 ... I'll worry about the modules whenever
I have this brute out the way....

after run the make command this is what it returns.... (this time
without the -v (verbose) option on ld....to save space 

        gcc  -g -O2 -g3 -v  -o fvwm2  add_window.o bindings.o borders.o
builtins.o  colormaps.o colors.o complex.o decorations.o events.o
focus.o  functions.o fvwm.o fvwmdebug.o icons.o menus.o misc.o
modconf.o  module.o move.o placement.o read.o resize.o style.o virtual.o
windows.o -L../libs -v -lfvwm         -L/usr/lib/X11R5  -lXext -lX11  
Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/hp821/2.7.0/specs
gcc version 2.7.0
 /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/hp821/2.7.0/ld -u main -a archive_shared -B
immediate -o fvwm2 /lib/crt0.o -L../libs -L/usr/lib/X11R5
-L/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/hp821/2.7.0 -L/usr/local/lib add_window.o
bindings.o borders.o builtins.o colormaps.o colors.o complex.o
decorations.o events.o focus.o functions.o fvwm.o fvwmdebug.o icons.o
menus.o misc.o modconf.o module.o move.o placement.o read.o resize.o
style.o virtual.o windows.o -lfvwm -lXext -lX11 -lgcc -lc -lgcc
/usr/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
   shl_findsym (code)
   shl_load (code)
   shl_unload (code)
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error exit code 1

As can bee seen I am using gcc...version 2.7.0 if that helps...
any clearer?
thanks,

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 24 May 1999 13:17:03 -0400

%% Matt Shacklady <[email-masked]> writes:

Sorry for the delay, I had to leave town on business :(

  >> you're trying to link (fvwm2?  Some module?); please provide the 

  ms> apologies for lack of information....hopefully this may help a bit more

  ms> I am trying to compile fvwm2.2 ... I'll worry about the modules
  ms> whenever I have this brute out the way....

Note it's all the some make command; I was just wondering how far it'd
gotten.

So, essentially, you aren't able to get any fvwm programs to link?  Try
running "make -k" and see if _anything_ links (redirect the output to a
log so you can look at it later).

  ms> after run the make command this is what it returns.... (this time
  ms> without the -v (verbose) option on ld....to save space 

  ms>         gcc  -g -O2 -g3 -v  -o fvwm2  add_window.o bindings.o borders.o

What is "-g3" for?  Did you add that?

  ms> builtins.o  colormaps.o colors.o complex.o decorations.o events.o
  ms> focus.o  functions.o fvwm.o fvwmdebug.o icons.o menus.o misc.o
  ms> modconf.o  module.o move.o placement.o read.o resize.o style.o virtual.o
  ms> windows.o -L../libs -v -lfvwm         -L/usr/lib/X11R5  -lXext -lX11  
  ms> Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/hp821/2.7.0/specs

Hmm... "hp821"?  I hate it when people get fancy on installs and
override the default names :).  What version of HP-UX are you using?  I
wonder if the GCC you have there was compiled for a different version of
HP-UX?  That could definitely be a problem.

Have you ever been able to compile and link other apps with this
compiler?  Other X apps?

  ms> gcc version 2.7.0
  ms>  /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/hp821/2.7.0/ld -u main -a archive_shared -B
  ms> immediate -o fvwm2 /lib/crt0.o -L../libs -L/usr/lib/X11R5
  ms> -L/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/hp821/2.7.0 -L/usr/local/lib add_window.o
  ms> bindings.o borders.o builtins.o colormaps.o colors.o complex.o
  ms> decorations.o events.o focus.o functions.o fvwm.o fvwmdebug.o icons.o
  ms> menus.o misc.o modconf.o module.o move.o placement.o read.o resize.o
  ms> style.o virtual.o windows.o -lfvwm -lXext -lX11 -lgcc -lc -lgcc
  ms> /usr/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
  ms>    shl_findsym (code)
  ms>    shl_load (code)
  ms>    shl_unload (code)
  ms> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
  ms> *** Error exit code 1

Well, my only other suggestion is to "man shl_load", etc. and see if you
can figure out from the man page (if there is one) what library these
symbols are supposed to be defined in.  If you find out, you can add it
to the link line.

Another way to go is to use nm on all the libs in /lib or /usr/lib and
find the one that defines those functions (see the man page for nm for
details).