Subject: FVWM: Re: more on focus behavior

From: "Philip H. Jensen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 12:26:14 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry, again.  I was reporting the symptoms inaccurately.  In fact, in the
situation I'm describing, NO window has focus.  And it doesn't always
happen, and I haven't been able to determine when it will or won't.

But more broadly, here's the deal.  I despise Microsoft and all their
works, but one thing they got right was the idea that everything should
have keyboard equivalents (though they've broken this more and more).
I like the focus behavior of Winblows (well, except when a background
application puts up a dialog and grabs focus for itself, perhaps taking
some keystrokes that weren't meant for it).  I want my fingers on the
keyboard, and although I can use Alt/Tab to get the focus back where I
want it, I'd rather not if it can be avoided.

By the way, speaking of mouse-free operation: I see how fvwm2 can be
taught to make key combinations move the cursor - but can any keyboard
action be made equivalent to a button click?  (Just curiosity - I don't
insist on _never_ touching the rodent - and indeed the cut and paste
behavior is much nicer than Winblows.)

I _will_ upgrade pretty soon ;-)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 12:56:46 -0400

> behavior is much nicer than Winblows.)

This has been brought up in the past.

Right now, fvwm2 doesn't have a way to convert keystokes into
button pushes.  Even if it did, applications will be able to tell
the difference. (They are marked as "synthetic"). Some applications
may refuse to accept them.  (Its a security issue.)

I would imagine that a patch would be accepted...

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].