Subject: FVWM: "stuck" on a page with Netscape

From: jason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 12:25:54 -0400 (EDT)

(I sent this a couple of days ago, but it hasn't popped up on the list
yet, so I'm resending it.)

Hi,

  I don't know if this is a fvwm 2.2 issue or a Netscape issue, but I've
only noticed this problem with Netscape windows.  (Bear with me, I think
it's an original report...)

  I run Netscape (actually, just Navigator and Messenger) at 
1018x688+0+56, with "BorderWidth 3, HandleWidth 3", essentially expanding
it to fill the whole screen, minus the 56 pixel row at the top of the
screen.  (Actually, to get this geometry, I just did a "Maximize 100 100",
and then resized the top down by 56 pixels.)  From here on out, when I
mention Netscape windows, I'm referring to just Navigator and Messenger
windows, since both of these exhibit the problem.  (Others, like Composer,
might too, but I don't run them.)

  The problem:  sometimes, if I try to move my mouse pointer into another
page, I get "blocked" on the edges by the Netscape window.  I just can't
"push" past the border of the window.  It's not always the same edge -- it
can be the left, right, or bottom edge (never the top edge, since this
only occurs for Netscape borders against the edge of the current page).
When this happens, I see the arrow-pointing-to-the-edge icon, the one you
get for resizing edges, since the mouse pointer is "stuck" over Netscape's
border.  This happens maybe once or twice a day, and I'm on the computer a
lot.  (Or so says my fiancee :-)

  I run several other programs full-screen in a similar fashion, e.g.
xterm, xmaple, xemacs, etc. but I haven't seen anything exhibit this
behavior other than Netscape.  I've found that it's usually pretty easy to
get around, either by using Ctrl-Arrow keys to switch pages, or to move
the mouse off of some other edge of the page, return back to the original
page, and attempt to move the mouse to the desired page again, which seems
to always cause it to work again.  However, it is pretty annoying.

  Is this an fvwm issue, or a Netscape issue?  I'll post what I think may
be relevent config info below.  As always, please contact me if you need 
more info.

Thanks,
-jason

EdgeScroll 100000 100000
EdgeResistance 0 10
EdgeThickness 1

Style "*" IconBox 30 90 -30 -30, IconFill right top, IconGrid 90 90, \
  ForeColor wheat, BackColor DarkOrange4, ActivePlacement, DumbPlacement, \
  NoPPosition, BorderWidth 3, HandleWidth 3, Icon linux-penguin.xpm, \
  DecorateTransient

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 16:39:01 -0400

...and Bob wrote:
> 
> The window doesn't have to be maxed out, it just needs to have the
> top border jammed up against the top of the viewport.

	Reading back over the entire thread, it looks as though the key
condition is that *any* border of the offending Motif window is at the
edge of the viewport where you want to cross to another page. It
definitely will occur at the top edge as well, and that's the only place
I remembered seeing it happen.

- Bob

---

From: "Stephen P. Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 15:56:09 -0500

> I remembered seeing it happen.

In the past I have described this to other fvwm2 users and they 
have always thought I was crazy.  I have never been able to 
reproduce it on demand, and so far only with Netscape ( I don't 
think I use any other motif apps ).  

I see the same thing on Linux with XFree86 and on Solaris 
with openwin.  It will only happen if netscape is "busy" at 
the time, and only when I try to automaticaly cross a border 
that has the edge of Netscape jammed against it.  

For the past year or so I have just changed the way I use 
netscape - I use it in the bottom left screen of a single 3x3 
desktop and make the window about 95% fullscreen so only the 
left edge touches the screen edge.  I don't have anything to 
cross there, so it hides the problem.  

-----
Stephen P. Hill
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

---

From: Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 May 1999 23:39:41 -0700

> cross there, so it hides the problem.  

I've had similar things for the last year or so. For me it occurs when I use
the Scroll command to switch pages. I'll make it to my new page, and then get
immediately snapped back to the one with netscape on it. As I recall, it only
happens when netscape is busy.

-- 
 Brady Montz
 [email-masked]

---

From: Martin Gisser <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 23:47:06 +0000

That reminds me of my late story "stuck at the <table>-tag"
I've exhibited one more torture tool on the AJITRDF
(see everything.slashdot.org)
It's of completely different nature.
I call it
"Crushing your Browser at the geocities Cliff of cookies-and-messages-from-the-sponsors"
It's just a little javascript
not even my invention

:-)   Florifundator