Subject: FVWM: automatically focus transient windows

From: [email-masked]
Date: 07 Apr 1999 11:15:45 +0200

I have hacked ctwm to automatically focus transient windows.  I.e.,
when a window is first created (or mapped, not sure which -- I don't
really grok X11 programming at all), it is checked whether it is a
transient window.  If it is, it is focussed.

This is wonderful if you use MouseFocus or SloppyFocus and bring up
popup windows, for example with Alt-F in Netscape.

Fvwm has a different way to solve this problem: by telling all
Netscape windows to be ClickToFocus, you achieve a similar result.

But it is not quite the same.

How about implementing this simple change for Fvwm, too?

Suggested improvement: only assign focus to the transient if it is a
transient_for the currently focussed window.

Suggested improvement 2: keep a history of focussed windows, like
this: transient window 1 appears, gets focus.  User does something,
which causes transient window 2 to appear, which also gets focus.
User does something, which causes transient window 2 to disappear.
Then, transient window 1 should get the focus again.

Opinions?

kai
-- 
Abort this operation?   [Abort]  [Cancel]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 20:34:22 +0200

> transient_for the currently focussed window.

Good idea.

> Then, transient window 1 should get the focus again.

The history is already there. The new bit would be to transfer the
focus back to the previous window.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 08 Apr 1999 16:42:50 +0200

> > transient_for the currently focussed window.

So this is on the todo list, now?  :-)

kai

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 02:08:00 +0200

> So this is on the todo list, now?  :-)

You can put it there yourself. Just resend both suggestions as separate
mails to the bug tracking system (preferrably with 'enhancement: ...'
as the subject).

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 09 Apr 1999 17:56:29 +0200

Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

  > You can put it there yourself.

Thanks, done.
kai

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 02:08:18 +0200

> How about implementing this simple change for Fvwm, too?

Done. The GrabFocusTransient style does this in the development
sources.

Bye

Dominik ^_^