Subject: FVWM: Window Shading

From: Local Echo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 01:46:39 -0600 (MDT)

I think I posted this before but I never got it in my mail box so I'll
repeat it.

Lots of times I shade windows and put them at the bottom of the screen to
keep them outta the way.  Is it possible to now maybe with setting some
edge resistance or other setting to make the window pop up the screen then
unshade so that if I unshade it to check something it does roll down off
the screen?  If not could this be something that could be add as a feature
either by maybe a style command or something? 

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Local Echo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 01:50:15 -0600 (MDT)

> either by maybe a style command or something? 
Ummm I guess I really should proof read before I send I mean so it
doesn't shade to a different screen, but rather to the one I'm on.

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 10:47:56 +0100

> either by maybe a style command or something?

It sounds like you want a style flag something like

Style whatever ShadeToBottom (with a default of ShadeToTop)

so that when you shade a window it shrinks down to the bottom edge of
the window.
It's ceratilnly possible now that we have plenty of roo for more style
flags.
Could you put in a bug report please?

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 13:29:30 -0400

Tim Phipps wrote:
> > keep them outta the way.

	Hmm...I was thinking along different lines - variable title-bar
positioning, like BottomTitleBar (or even on the sides). A lot more
work, but it would be a nice enhancement.

	Do you tend to place the same set of shaded windows at the bottom, such
that using a style for this set of windows that had the title bar on the
bottom would be feasible? Then the unshading operation could simply go
upward instead of downward. Just a thought....

- Bob

---

From: Local Echo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:55:11 -0600

> upward instead of downward. Just a thought....

Well I was thinking of the non style command since as you ask no I don't tend to
place just certain windows along the bottom.  More to the point I was thinking
along the lines of an addition to the windowshade function, something like check
window size, if size is > distance to screen edge then move window up difference.
I only trouble I can see having the reshade thing remember where the title bar
was.

A side title bar sounds like a neat idea, however IMHO that is more of too much
pretty option rather then fuctional.  If done pretty soon people will want shaped
title bars and then we'll be at E.

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 16:21:14 -0400

Local Echo wrote:
> 
> Well I was thinking of the non style command since as you ask no I don't
> tend to place just certain windows along the bottom.

	Ok, sounds like Tim's idea is more in sync with what you want.

> More to the point I was thinking along the lines of an addition to the
> windowshade function, something like check window size, if size is
> > distance to screen edge then move window up difference.

	I still think Tim's on the right track as far as having the behavior
triggered by a style. You can always make it apply globally with Style
*. If we add this feature, somebody will definitely want it to work the
new way sometimes, and the current way at other times.

> I only trouble I can see having the reshade thing remember where the title bar

	I'm not sure I follow this. If the shaded title bar is moved to the
bottom of the screen, then the window is unshaded, it seems to me that
the window would grow from the bottom of the screen to its full height,
and the title bar would appear at the top of the window. Are you
suggesting that the window should revert to the position where it was
before it was shaded (can't say I like the idea, particularly with
animated shading).

> A side title bar sounds like a neat idea, however IMHO that is more of too
> much pretty option rather then fuctional.  If done pretty soon people will
> want shaped title bars and then we'll be at E.

	I don't think so...not with the current crew of developers!

	Actually, shaped title bars wouldn't be that awful. There's been some
talk of allowing the building of window decorations to move out into
modules. If this is done, and someone's interested in working on modules
to do fancy decorations (optional, of course), then a lot of creative
things could be done without needlessly bloating the core of FVWM or
cheating those users who still want a relatively lean and clean WM.

	(And a WM doesn't necessarily have to be bloated to implement shaped or
side title bars, as attested to by wm2 and vtwm.)

- Bob

---

From: Local Echo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 16:08:52 -0600 (MDT)

> 	Ok, sounds like Tim's idea is more in sync with what you want.

Ok rather simple, but then I never was very good at describing my point in
few words so here it is verbosly.

Say for instance I have icq running, I don't care much for icons but a
shaded icq window at the bottom of the screen is perfect most of the time.
Well say I want to check who is online or I just got a message, well I can
double click on the shaded tile bar at the bottom of the screen.  See who
is online or check the message, then double click the title bar again and
it will shade to the place it was before at the bottom of the screen.

I'm not sure growing upwards is really a neat feature either, like
people point out if someone has Animated Shading on.  Rather just move the 
title bar straight up x pixels and unshade it the way someone has choosen, 
to click again and in rolls up and pops back to where it was before.

And after thinking about it, the style "*" also seems the way to go.