Subject: Re: FVWM: making a window unmovable

From: "Araujo, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 11:49:33 -0400

apologies for previous micorsquish garbage attached to my e-mail, i hope
they're gone now.  still stuck on ms outlook for e-mail :(

to dan espen:
key bindings would work great but i'm looking for something graphical and
more intuitive.  this is a kiosk type deal and i can't expect the user to
know about key strokes.  also, i believe this would also leave move/resize
functionality in the first window.

to neil bird:
this didn't seem to work with version 4.08, my class is 'Netscape' and
resource is 'Navigator' for both first and successive windows (not
popups/transients, but File->Navigator Window type windows)  i don't think i
metioned that i'm running 4.08 navigator *standalone*.  it may be different
in 4.08 full blown communicator or 4.51.  i'll look at these in more detail,
thanks.

to paul smith:
i have older ones if you think i need them.  just kidding :)  as i said
before i'm happy to upgrade fvwm to a newer version if need be.  do you know
if this functionality exists in a newer version?

thanks to all and please feel free to flame me directly (instead of on the
list) if i haven't gotten rid of all the ms crud :)

Scott Araujo
Boundless Technologies
[email-masked]
(516) 342-7458

Time flies like the wind.  Fruit flies like bananas.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 06 Apr 1999 12:09:15 -0400

%% "Araujo, Scott" <[email-masked]> writes:

Note the new mailing list is "[email-masked]" ... the old one still works
for now though.

  as> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not
  as> understand this format, some or all of this message may not be
  as> legible.

  as> ------_=_NextPart_000_01BE8045.132149C0
  as> Content-Type: text/plain

  as> apologies for previous micorsquish garbage attached to my e-mail,
  as> i hope they're gone now.  still stuck on ms outlook for e-mail :(

Nope, still there.  Don't know anything about outlook, but in NS mail
there's a preference that says something like "Prefer rich text" which
you need to uncheck to avoid HTML.

  as> i have older ones if you think i need them.  just kidding :) as i
  as> said before i'm happy to upgrade fvwm to a newer version if need
  as> be.  do you know if this functionality exists in a newer version?

Even in the latest versions of fvwm, you can only change the styles of
windows if their resource class or instance names are different.

You will need to investigate further; the FvwmIndentify module (if you
have it in your version!) will help with this.  Select the main window
and then the popups and see if you can see a difference.

I just tried with my copy of standalone Navigator, comparing the root
window to the "Find" dialogue.  The class of both is "Netscape", but the
resource of the root is "Navigator" while the resource of the dialogue
is "findDialog_popup".  So, you should be able to use these differences
to set the style for the root differently than the others.

Actually, the man page also says you can change styles based on the
window name; I wonder if you can set the netscape root window name to
something rather than have it change for each page title as it does
normally?

  as> ------_=_NextPart_000_01BE8045.132149C0
  as> Content-Type: application/ms-tnef
  as> Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

:(

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 12:24:16 -0400

"Araujo, Scott" <[email-masked]> writes:
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
> this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.
> 
> ------_=_NextPart_000_01BE8045.132149C0
> Content-Type: text/plain
> 

Nope, still there.  You have my sympathies.

> functionality in the first window.

Hmm...they know how  to resize and move  windows  with the  mouse, but
don't know how to use keys.  How about a big fat "MOVE" label on the
F7 key?

Or...you could bind the mouse in a window to do a move, if you have
a spare mouse button.  Netscape is primarily concerned with buttons
1 and 3, 2 doesn't appear to be used:

Mouse 2 W A Popup Move-or-Resize

Of course this makes it difficult to use button 2 in other windows,
but if this is a Netscape only application.

Or...you might consider putting the frame back  on Netscape, just size
and position the window so that the frame is off-screen.

> ------_=_NextPart_000_01BE8045.132149C0
> Content-Type: application/ms-tnef
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
> 
> eJ8+IiYPAQaQCAAEAAAAAAABAAEAAQeQBgAIAAAA5AQAAAAAAADoAAEIgAcAGAAAAElQTS5NaWNy
....
> bGVzcy5jb20+AACFEA==
> 
> ------_=_NextPart_000_01BE8045.132149C0--
> --

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 06 Apr 1999 19:04:26 +0200

> to set the style for the root differently than the others.

He is talking about the windows you get with Alt-N or with the `New
Navigator Window' entry in the File menu.

The popup thingies are easy, but the other navigator windows are hard.

kai
-- 
Abort this operation?   [Abort]  [Cancel]

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 10:09:28 -0700

Previously...
>you need to uncheck to avoid HTML.

To remove ms-tnef content (incidentally, it's microsoft's
html-in-email content-type, base64 encoded... blech!) you need to set
your preference to compose as plaintext... In your Outlook options go
to the "Mail format" tab and "send in this message format: plain
text". May the world be a better place...

>windows if their resource class or instance names are different.

What Paul said.

>something rather than have it change for each page title as it does

I think this is probably the best approach. When a netscape window
opens it should be titled something strange like: "Netscape: blah blah
blah blah". Try matching your resource/class string to match all
Netscape-related windows and set for handles, etc. Then follow that
style line with one that matches just the starting title of the window
and strip the handles, etc. Should work...
-- 
[email-masked]
I am not deliciously saucy
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 06 Apr 1999 13:57:29 -0400

%% [email-masked] writes:

  >> to set the style for the root differently than the others.

  kg> He is talking about the windows you get with Alt-N or with the `New
  kg> Navigator Window' entry in the File menu.

Oh.  Ouch.

Well, I guess the only possible answer is using window titles.
Actually, (I've never used this feature) I assume fvwm2 must match on
the title of the window when it's created for the Style, right?  (Unless
a restart is done of course).

If so, if you can get your netscape to start with some initial page with
a really odd <TITLE></TITLE>, you can match on that and as long as the
default page is different for new windows they should appear with
different styles.

Right?

---

From: "Eddy J. Gurney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 14:05:41 -0400

On Apr 6 at 12:24, Dan Espen wrote:
,--
| Or...you could bind the mouse in a window to do a move, if you have
| a spare mouse button.  Netscape is primarily concerned with buttons
| 1 and 3, 2 doesn't appear to be used:
|
| Mouse 2 W A Popup Move-or-Resize
`--
Ah, but button 2 does have a pretty useful feature:

If you have a URL (or something that you could type into the "Location:"
box in Netscape) selected, and you click button 2 in a Netscape window
while the pointer is an arrow (not over a link), it opens that URL in
the window you clicked button 2. Very nice.

Button 2 is also a short cut for "open link in new window" when it IS
over a link.

Ob-fvwm-workers: Unfortunately, I can't think of anything right now. :-(

Eddy

P.S. Wonder how many people actually remember the old "netiquette" of
     "Ob-<whatever>"... :-)

---

From: Michael Tiefenback <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 14:13:21 -0400 (EDT)

I don't see why the Style selection

Style "Netscape:*" 

wouldn't do what is being discusssed.  I examined the Netscape subwindows
on my Linux setup and the browser windows have titles like
"Netscape:<stuff>", while the others have different titles, 
Class "Netscape", and Resource values like "AddressBook" and "MailThread".
I have never tried to navigate this terrain before, but setting a Style
matching the Resource value "Netscape" and following it with another Style
callout matching "Netscape:*" should result in the browser windows having
the first configuration and the other popups having the second.  Or maybe
I am wrong again?

Michael Tiefenback

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 06 Apr 1999 14:22:48 -0400

%% Michael Tiefenback <[email-masked]> writes:

  mt> I don't see why the Style selection

  mt> Style "Netscape:*" 

  mt> wouldn't do what is being discusssed.  I examined the Netscape
  mt> subwindows on my Linux setup and the browser windows have titles
  mt> like "Netscape:<stuff>", while the others have different titles,

Please re-read the message you're responding to :).  I thought exactly
the same thing and in the message I responded to, Kai set me straight:

All windows you get with "New Navigator Window" are "browser windows"
and all have the same title format ("Netscape: ...") and the same
class/resource strings.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 07 Apr 1999 11:04:37 +0200

> a restart is done of course).

When Netscape is started, the window title is something strange
initially, but get changed after a few seconds.  If somebody is able
to see this, some use might be made of it.

(I think the window title is Netscape-4.05-990223 or something like
that, with the compilation date maybe?)

kai

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Takacs)
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 09:48:55 -0700

> that, with the compilation date maybe?)

If that's true, you can stare at that particular title all you want by typing
"about:" in the location bar.  Then you'll be able to see the title w/o having
to watch for a flicker.  That being said,  I don't see the "flicker effect" when
I launch a new window, but it could just be the version of Netscape I'm using...

-tak

--
Mark Takacs  - [email-masked]
Netscape Site Central - hacker