Subject: FVWM: removing titlebar buttons

From: Brian Servis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 19:07:57 -0500 (EST)

Is there anyway to delete a title bar button that has been previously
defined?  I looked through the docs and could find no way of doing this.
I would think something like,

DestroyButton 1
or
DestroyButton all

would be great.  The latter would delete button 1 and all mouse bindings
associated with it and the former would remove all button setups and
bindings. If a mouse binding is set to button 1 and no ButtonStyle is
defined for button 1 then a default button is used, so the destruction
of the button must also unbind the mouse.  This could be useful in a
function that is used to redefine the button setup for title bars or
other change a theme on the fly that has different amounts of buttons
defined, etc.

I am using fvwm 2.2.

Thanks

-- 
Brian 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Never criticize anybody until you have walked a mile in their shoes,  
 because by that time you will be a mile away and have their shoes." 
							   - unknown  

Mechanical Engineering                                [email-masked]
Purdue University                   http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis
---------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Julian Gilbey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 01:24:56 +0100 (BST)

> defined?  I looked through the docs and could find no way of doing this.

Strange you ask -- I was asked the same yesterday by a Debian
developer.  The answer is to use the Mouse command as follows:

Mouse 0 4 A -

which removes any function definition from title button 4.  The rules
are that:

              The highest odd numbered button which has an action
              bound  to it determines the number of buttons drawn
              on the left side of the  title  bar.   The  highest
              even  number  determines  the  number or right side
              buttons which are drawn.  Actions can be  bound  to
              either mouse buttons or keyboard keys.

(BTW, I also found a glitch in the fvwm2.1 manpage which means that
half of the first sentence of the "Mouse" section vanishes.  So you
might want to look at the actual source for the man page rather than
the output of man in this case.)

HTH,

   Julian

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. [email-masked]
             Debian GNU/Linux Developer.  [email-masked]
       -*- Finger [email-masked] for my PGP public key. -*-
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brian Servis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 05:54:39 -0500 (EST)

*- On 20 Apr, Julian Gilbey wrote about "Re: FVWM: removing titlebar buttons"
> the output of man in this case.)

Something about having a quote at the begining of the line.  Moving the
'-' to the previous line fixes it.  I don't know nroff so this was just
a lucky guess.

--- fvwm2.1.orig    Sat Apr 17 21:01:14 1999
+++ fvwm2.1     Tue Apr 20 05:49:45 1999
@@ -1936,8 +1936,8 @@

 .IP "Mouse \fIButton Context Modifiers Function\fP"
-Defines a mouse binding, or removes the binding if \fIFunction\fP is
-'-'. \fIButton\fP is the mouse button number.  If \fIButton\fP is
+Defines a mouse binding, or removes the binding if \fIFunction\fP is '-'. 
+\fIButton\fP is the mouse button number.  If \fIButton\fP is
 zero then any button will perform the specified function.
 \fIContext\fP describes where the binding applies.  Valid contexts are
 R for the root window, W for an application window, T for a window