Subject: FVWM: FlipFocus between windows on different desktops

From: Denis Prost <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 14:41:16 +0200 (CET)

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this list. Sorry if this problem has been coverd before, I
didn't find anything about it in the archive...

So, here is what happens when I try to toggle between windows on different 
desktops, for example :

- windows "a" and "b" on desktop 0
- window "c" on desktop 1
- focus on "a"
- windowlist "a,b,c" (result of the built-in command "WindowList
NoDeskSort")

if I do the following actions :

1) Prev [c] FlipFocus
  
   the windowlist becomes "c,a,b" (this is the normal behaviour)

2) Prev [*] FlipFocus

  the focus gets on window "a" and the window list becomes "a,b,c"  
(instead of "a,c,b" which is, if I understood well the documentation, the
expected behaviour)

3) Prev [*] FlipFocus

  At that time, I would expect the focus to get back to c, but since the
previous windowlist is wrong, it gets to b.

NB : when all windows are on the same desktop, FlipFocus works fine.

Has anyone any idea to fix this problem ?

I'm running fvwm 2.2 on redhat 5.1.

Thanks in advance.

Denis 

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 13:53:10 +0100

> I'm running fvwm 2.2 on redhat 5.1.

With 2.2 the WindowList, Next and Prev commands all follow the same list
from the same point which explains 3).  What happens at 2) is that
something is causing window b to move up the windowlist above window c. 
Do you use MouseFocus or SloppyFocus?  If so it could be that when the
desks are switched to show window a the pointer may be over window b
when it appears. I found that the only way to switch desks without
getting extra focuses was to first move the pointer out of the way (e.g.
left hand side of FvwmButtons).

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 18:27:07 +0200

> left hand side of FvwmButtons).

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your help.

In fact, all my windows are on "ClickToFocus", so there must not be any intermediate change in the windowlist due to the pointer position after the desk change (moreover, I use warptowindow so that the pointer goes directly in the window that gets the focus). 

After several tests, it really seems that my problem is related to the fact that I switch focus from one window on one desktop to another window on another desktop, everything being OK when all my windows are on the same desktop. But I don't see the beginning of an explanation to it.

Do you have any other idea ?

Cheers,

Denis