Subject: FVWM: Module configuration line limit

From: Jim Nicholson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 22:47:27 -0400 (EDT)

I wanted to submit a bug report for this, but I'm not sure whether
it's a code error or just missing documentation.

There seems to be a 127-character limit for line length of
FvwmButtons configuration entries in .fvwm2rc. I discovered this while
trying to add buttons to my wharf-work-alike configuration. I did some 
testing to discover the limit. The line

*MyWharf(Icon wp-icon.xpm, Title "A Very Long title Indeed", Action
"Exec /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -title "Thisonestillworks5678")

will parse, but 

*MyWharf(Icon wp-icon.xpm, Title "A Very Long title Indeed", Action
"Exec /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -title "Thisoneistoolong456789")

causes FvwmButtons to fail initialization. There's nothing in my
.xsession-errors related to this.

- Jim 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 11:20:35 +0200

On Mon, Apr 05, 1999 at 10:47:27PM -0400, Jim Nicholson wrote:
> FvwmButtons configuration entries in .fvwm2rc.

Well, there is a limit, but it's not 127 bytes. I can't remember
exactly, but it's either 256 bytes or 1000 bytes. Which version
of fvwm are you using (the latest official release is 2.2).

> I discovered this while
 ^^^                               ^^^                    ^^^

Is this exactly the line in your config file? You can't use double
quotes inside double quotes. This one is correct:

  *MyWharf(Icon wp-icon.xpm, Title "A Very Long title Indeed", Action
  "Exec /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -title 'Thisoneistoolong456789'")
                                   ^^^                    ^^^^

> .xsession-errors related to this.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].