Subject: FVWM: Fvwm 1 to Fvwm 2

From: Bob Ruddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:37:27 -0400 (EDT)

I am still useing Fvwm version 1.24r I would like to know if I can source
another file into the ~/.fvwmrc file. That way I can have all my menu
definitions in another file. 

If that isn't possible then can Fvwm2 do that? And one more thing is there
an easy way to take my fvwm1 file and convert it to use in fvwm2? Thanks
again for your help.

			Bob

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 01:12:42 +0200

> an easy way to take my fvwm1 file and convert it to use in fvwm2? Thanks

I don't know about 1.24 the official release 2.2 can do it (Read <filename>).
There is a shell script to convert v1 config files to v2 config files:
utils/fvwmrc_convert in the distribution file. Feel free to ask the mailing
lists if you have any trouble with the conversion.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Ruddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 02:40:01 -0400 (EDT)

One more question. When I'm in netscape and goto the preferences, I loose
the title bar and handles. I am not sure why. I've tried commenting out
all my Style lines, especaily my Style "*" line but even with the default
fvwm config there are no title bars on my preferences window. Can anyone
shed some light on this? I can send anyone my .fvwmrc file if they can
help. Thanks again.

			Bob

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:26:49 +0200

> shed some light on this? I can send anyone my .fvwmrc file if they can

Again I don't know how it is in 1.24, but with 2.2 you need to
add this style:

  Style "*" DecorateTransient

   or

  Style "*" DecorateTransients

(I'm not sure which one is correct). Insted of "*" you might
say "netscape*".

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 13:07:38 -0400

>    Style "*" DecorateTransient

	This is the correct one, if my fvwm2rc is any indication.

	However, in version 1, DecorateTransients (note the different spelling)
was a standalone command; it hadn't yet been made into a style option,
so it's an all or nothing proposition.

	Bob also asked:
>  
>  I would like to know if I can source another file into the ~/.fvwmrc file.

	As far as I can tell, there wasn't any such facility in version 1. In
version 2, you definitely can. My .fvwm2rc is little more than a
skeleton containing a bunch of read commands, and the real work is done
by about a dozen other files sourced via those read commands.

	I believe Dominik mentioned the conversion script. I can't comment on
its effectiveness, because I've never used it: I just gritted my teeth
and did the whole thing by hand years ago. But as he said, feel free to
ask us if you run into any snags.

- Bob

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 14:50:26 -0400

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999 02:40:01 -0400 (EDT)
Bob Ruddy <[email-masked]> 
> shed some light on this? I can send anyone my .fvwmrc file if they can

Bob, this does the trick for me in 2.2 ...

Ric

Richard J Lister, Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Phone: +1 202-687 2878
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].