Subject: FVWM: gmake

From: Anders Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 19:53:21 +0200

Hi!

I noticed that it is not mentioned that gmake (GNU make) is required
for building fvwm2.3 (current) on the web page:

http://www.fvwm.org/cvs.html

after './configure' it says 'make'... maybe it should be a note
about that gmake is needed? Or maybe not when I think about it, 
because autoconf and automake is needed and they rely upon gmake I guess.

well well, just a thought....

Anders
-- 

--------------------------------------------------------
 Anders Andersson		[email-masked]
 Sanyusan International AB	http://www.sanyusan.se/
 Västgötagatan 11		Tel: +46-(0)31-168730
 411 39 Gothenburg, SWEDEN	Fax: +46-(0)31-209361
--------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 14:00:12 -0400

> well well, just a thought....

You must have missed this part?:

Before You Begin

To know what is going in with the source tree you should be reading mail on the Fvwm Workers List. See the Mailing List Info
page for more information. 

To build FVWM from the CVS sources, you must have several GNU tools: 

    the CVS client version 1.9 or better, 
    GCC, 
    GNU make,                               <============================
    autoconf, version 2.13 or better, and 
    automake, version 1.4 or better. 

Without these tools, you won't be able to build out of the CVS source tree. But don't despair: download one of the daily snapshots
instead!

For me, "gnumake", or "gmake" installs by default as "make".
(I admit, I don't like that, and I rename it "gnumake".)

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Anders Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 20:19:08 +0200

> (I admit, I don't like that, and I rename it "gnumake".)

I admit, I missed this part, sorry all!

On my system make is make and gmake is gnu make :-)

Anders
--

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 30 Apr 1999 14:19:59 -0400

%% Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

  de> For me, "gnumake", or "gmake" installs by default as "make".
  de> (I admit, I don't like that, and I rename it "gnumake".)

As with any properly constructed autoconf'd package, you can use the
various options --program-prefix, --program-suffix, or
--program-transform-name with configure to modify the installation names
of all installed binaries.

In your case, "configure --program-prefix=g" (or "--program-prefix=gnu")
should do the trick.

If that doesn't work, it's a bug; please let me know.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].