Subject: FVWM: setvbuf error

From: Den Luzon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 18:38:03 -0700

hi,

     i'd like to install the fvwm on my Solaris 2.7, but when I try to
run the "./configure" i encoutered an problem . do if you could help me
how to solve this problem it would be great. anyway here is the error
that i've got.

ERROR:

checking whether setvbuf arguments are reversed... configure: error: can
not run test program while cross compiling

    thanks a lot

den

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 22 Apr 1999 16:53:03 -0400

%% Den Luzon <[email-masked]> writes:

  dl>      i'd like to install the fvwm on my Solaris 2.7, but when I
  dl> try to run the "./configure" i encoutered an problem . do if you
  dl> could help me how to solve this problem it would be great. anyway
  dl> here is the error that i've got.

  dl> ERROR:

  dl> checking whether setvbuf arguments are reversed... configure: error: can
  dl> not run test program while cross compiling

This means that configure thinks you're using a cross-compiler.  This
usually means that it found a compiler that appears to run OK, but it
couldn't run even the simplest resulting output file.

Look closely at the output of configure before it gets here and find the
check for a C++ library; it'll say something like "checking for
cross-compiler"; see if it comes up with "yes" instead of "no".

Whenever this happens to me on Solaris it's because I installed GCC with
the "enable shared libs" option.  The way G++ (the GCC C++ compiler) is
installed, unless you put it in the "standard" place you _MUST_ supply a
-R option to it or it won't work.

G++ requires the libstdc++ library.  If you build this shared, then it
needs to be found at runtime.  On Solaris, using -L on the link line
isn't enough for that, you must use -R (or set LD_RUN_PATH).  So, it
links OK but then when you try to run the executable it doesn't work.

Things to do:

 1) Look for the configure output I noted above.

 2) Look in the config.log file and find the place where it looks for
    the C and C++ compilers, and see what errors you got.

 3) What I do to get it working is this (note, this only works in
    Bourne-ish shells like sh, ksh, bash, and zsh):

      $ LDFLAGS='-R/usr/local/lib' ./configure ...

    Replace /usr/local with whatever prefix you used to install GCC.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].