Subject: FVWM: fvwm Runtime error

From: Maan AlFudhail <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 09:42:11 -0700 (PDT)

Every time that I tried to run fvwm I get this error:

ld.so.1: fvwm: fatal: libXext.so.6.3: open failed: No such file or
directory
Killed

However the file does exist in the X11 dir. Does fvwm has some
assumption about the location of X11? Are all X11 distribution has the
same structure? How do I till fvwm that the file does exist in
/usr/local/X11?

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 08:57:53 +0100

> same structure? How do I till fvwm that the file does exist in

  Well, I can only speak for SunOS/Solaris, but when linking proggies,
runtime libraries' locations *are* held in the exe. If said .so file
doesn't exist at runtime, the runtime linker runs through the directories
specified in LD_LIBRARY_PATH (although I think there's another one as well
that's runtime only - this one affects the functioning of ld as well ...
plus ISTRT it's possible to embed a search path in the exe at link time on
top of that).

  Anyway, the upshot is: make sure your X lib directory in somewhere in
LD_LIBRARY_PATH before running fvwm2. To test whether it *will* work, use
'ldd exename', which'll list the runtime libraries required by the prog. &
whether they can be found in the current envorinment.

-- 
========================- http://www.rrds.co.uk/ -======================
 Neil Bird                   |   This is who we are     The time is near
                             |        There are 270 days remaining
 mailto:[email-masked] |                           [ T-63 days! ]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 06 Apr 1999 11:04:16 -0400

%% Neil Bird <[email-masked]> writes:

  nb>   Anyway, the upshot is: make sure your X lib directory in
  nb> somewhere in LD_LIBRARY_PATH before running fvwm2. To test whether
  nb> it *will* work, use 'ldd exename', which'll list the runtime
  nb> libraries required by the prog. & whether they can be found in the
  nb> current envorinment.

This will work, but is likelyt o lead to other problems in the future.

The _BEST_ way to handle this, if you are on a system like Solaris that
requires it, is to use the -R option on the link line (or set
LD_RUN_PATH before linking) so that the pathname is built into the app.

Then you don't need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].