Subject: Re: FVWM: MultiHeaded

From: Shannon Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 15:33:16 -0800

> Philip Hallstrom had said: 
> > > This is not an issue with the X server. I run Sun's X server on an ultra 
> 1
> > > running Solaris 2.6. olwm can do it fine. fvwm2 can't.
> > 
> > with olvwm, can you have a window half on one side and half on the other?
> 
> I ran olvwm 4 + patches, and 2.5.1 and you couldn't do this.  Never tried
> it with 2.6.  I remember reading that it was a function of the X server
> *and* the window manager though...

OK... AFACT, in order to be able to pass the mouse between your two screens on 
Solaris, you must have the following entry in /usr/dt/config/Xservers:

:0   Local local_uid@console root /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun -dev /dev/fb0:/dev/fb1 

which says that the X server should control both displays, and allow mouse 
passthrough.  You may list more screens than this (I believe Solaris supports 
as many as you have slots for video cards), and they will allow horizontal 
passthrough in the order listed.

The other way to list multiple screens is to give a -dev argument for each 
screen, but this does not allow mouse passthrough.

I've just now started tackling how to configure fvwm2 to deal with both 
screens, so more as news breaks, but so far I seem to be running completely 
seperate instances of fvwm in each screen, which do not know about one 
another, and I don't seem to be able to pass windows back and forth at all.

I'm running Solaris 7 (nee 2.7) on an Ultra 1, with two crappy 8-bit displays; 
fvwm version 2.2

Hope this helps...

-- 
      Shannon Lee         = =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  Metro1 Systems Group   -=-   Take my word for it, the silliest woman can 
   (503) . 671 . 1244    -=-   manage a clever man, but it needs a very 
   [email-masked]    -=-   clever woman to manage a fool.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Randall S. Winchester" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 04:25:40 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Shannon Lee wrote:

: OK... AFACT, in order to be able to pass the mouse between your two screens on 
: Solaris, you must have the following entry in /usr/dt/config/Xservers:
: 
: :0   Local local_uid@console root /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun -dev /dev/fb0:/dev/fb1 
: 
: which says that the X server should control both displays, and allow mouse 
: passthrough.  You may list more screens than this (I believe Solaris supports 
: as many as you have slots for video cards), and they will allow horizontal 
: passthrough in the order listed.
: The other way to list multiple screens is to give a -dev argument for each
: screen, but this does not allow mouse passthrough.

I have two heads and use this;

/usr/openwin/bin/Xsun -dev /dev/fb0 left -dev /dev/fb1 right -terminate \
 -nobanner

My hall mate has three heads and does this;

/usr/openwin/bin/X -v -nobanner -dev /dev/cgsix0 -dev /dev/cgfourteen0 \
 defclass TrueColor defdepth 24 -dev /dev/cgsix1

: I've just now started tackling how to configure fvwm2 to deal with both 
: screens, so more as news breaks, but so far I seem to be running completely 
: seperate instances of fvwm in each screen, which do not know about one 
: another, and I don't seem to be able to pass windows back and forth at all.

Yup,
Randall