Subject: FVWM: Re: awol's configuration package for Fvwm2.2

From: awol <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 16:04:05 -0600

Nadim Saeed wrote:

> Alex,
>         since there has been some discussion about themes lately and about
> the need to ease configuration/setup, I'd suggest for you to setup an html
> page with pictures describing the procedure (and how easy it all is ;-)
> I think you'll get a much greater response once people see what it is that is
> doable as an incentive to really downloading the package and trying it out.

I might do that when I find the time. Installing is as simple as
unpacking it, change to the new .fvwm2/ directory, and run the makelinks.sh
script.
All the user has to do then is check the ModulePath, IconPath etc..., in the
new .fvwm2/.fvwm2rc file. The README describes it all.

>
>
> I haven't downloaded your package _yet_, but how does it differ from
> John Lapeyre's FvwmConf
>
>     http://newton.physics.arizona.edu/~lapeyre/fvwmconf/index.html

<snip>

I'd never been able to get that FvwmConf module to work satisfactorily,
so I downloaded the latest version posted at the above link and tried it out
again. It still doesn't work. Probably not with Fvwm 2.2 but maybe it's me.
If anyone can tell me how to get it working with the latest "stable" Fvwm 2.2
let me know. Until then I'll keep working on mine.
FvwmConf is a module, mine is a complete set of rc files for fvwm2
configuration.
My package (so far) only has 5 decors. Contributions and suggestions
would be welcome. It is not necessary to restart fvwm2 to change decors.
Each decor can be selected via menu. Individual windows can be assigned
different decors by menu selection also.
Different module configurations are loaded for each decor.
FvwmEvent configs can now be changed "on the fly". (without restarting fvwm2)
You can even specify an FvwmEvent config file to load and use. (e.g. change to
a config with debug commands!)
Individual FvwmEvents "events" can also be changed. (not fully tested yet)
Andrew Laden contributed a Resize Desktop routine to alter number of pages
per desk. (eg 2x2 -> 5x5) Nice!
Backgrounds can be changed by input with the full path to the file.
I'm planning many more features, but it all takes time.
There's probably still a lot of bugs I have to find but I'm learning.
Hope this explains more.

Alex

P.S. For those who came in late, my package is at
http://dove.mtx.net.au/~awol/fvwm2

--
[email-masked] or...http://awol.mtx.net.au
but usually on EFNET IRC.... but I'm pretty much awol there as well...
awol shrugs...."If all you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].