Subject: FVWM: CDE resize incompatibility?

From: "Barry A. Warsaw" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 19:44:41 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

I'm having the hardest time figuring out the following problem.  Any
help, hints, or ideas will be greatly appreciated.  I am not on the
Fvwm mailing list so please CC with any responses.  I will post a
followup if there is any interest.  Will answer Python, Mailman, or CC
Mode question for food (or help :-).

My system: Solaris 2.6 (w/ all recent patches), Open Windows 3.6 X
server (also w/ all recent patches).  I have been using Fvwm 2.0.46
since it came out, and love it.  I tried the following with Fvwm 2.2
but that did not seem to fix my problem.

I have just started using CodeWarrior Pro4 for Solaris.  This is a
commercial Java IDE.  I suspect that this was ported from a Mac using
some kind of porting tool.  The GUI looks quite Mac-like in places;
file name separators are `:' in some places too.

When I have a CodeWarrior window open, and I try to resize it using
the `Resize' builtin function, the outer Fvwm frame resizes just fine,
however the contents of the window don't repaint to fill the new
borders[*].  No matter what I try, no matter what style settings I
use, or options I set, I can never get the contents to fill the frame.
It's almost as if some window manager event is not getting propagated
to the app -- it doesn't know it's been resized and so it just sits
there.

Naturally, I complained to Metrowerks (CodeWarrior's vendor).  They
said Fvwm is not a supported window manager at this time -- they only
support CDE.  So, I tried to be a good little Solaris user, and
started up a vanilla stock CDE window system, fresh from dtlogin.
Besides CDE (and I assume dtwm) being completely horrible, I tried to
resize my CW windows, and sure enough, it worked!  I enlarge the
frame, the app repaints to fill the new real-estate.

I figured maybe my Fvwm is just too old, so I downloaded Fvwm 2.2.
Unfortunately, it still doesn't cause the resize.

What magic is CDE/dtwm doing that Fvwm is missing???  Is there some
option, variable, style (or even #define in the code :-) I can twiddle
to get this to work.  Please don't make me use CDE!

Thanks,
-Barry

[*] I can provide screenshots if that helps, but I didn't want to send
huge pictures in this message.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].