Subject: FVWM: Allowing remote hosts to display

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 15:08:58 -0500

To fvwm list:

I have recently installed Red Hat Linux.  My previous experience is with
Ultrix and Digital Unix.

With those products there was a way to allow other hosts to use the local
display.

  i.e.  # rlogin central
        # xv

The xv window would appear on my local display if I gave permission to
central. If I didn't I got the standard message:

  Xlib: connection to "local" refused by server
  Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
  xv: Can't open display

which is the message I am currently getting using Linux and fvwm.

I know this operation should be pretty basic but I can find no documentation
on how to grant display permission using fvwm.  I would really appreciate if
someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Richard
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 30 Mar 1999 15:34:41 -0500

%% [email-masked] writes:

  ra> I know this operation should be pretty basic but I can find no
  ra> documentation on how to grant display permission using fvwm.

That's because you're looking in the wrong place.

Permissions to use your display are granted by your X server, not your
window manager.  It's completely out of fvwm's control who has
permission to create windows on the display.  So you won't find any
discussion of it in the fvwm docs :)

You want to look at the man page for the "xhost" command.  For example,

  $ xhost +remotehost

will allow any user logged into remotehost to create windows on your
display.  There are a number of security issues with this, so you should
check the manual.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].