Subject: FVWM: why the name fvwm2 ?

From: Mohit Aron <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 13:12:33 -0600 (CST)

Hi,
	I tried compiling fvwm-2.2 and noticed that it still produces the 
binary named fvwm2. The name was understandable while version 2 was still
in beta, but now that an official version has been released why not revert 
back to the good old "fvwm" ? 

- Mohit
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Mar 1999 13:22:46 -0600

>>>>> "MA" == Mohit Aron <[email-masked]> writes:

MA> I tried compiling fvwm-2.2 and noticed that it still produces the
MA> binary named fvwm2.

MA> The name was understandable while version 2 was still in beta, but now
MA> that an official version has been released why not revert back to the
MA> good old "fvwm" ?

Because lots of places have users still using fvwm1 and expect that when
they put "fvwm" in a script, they get something that works with all of
their old config files.  Since fvwm2 is incompatible with the old syntax,
it must have a different name.

We (the fvwm-workers) will probably at some point introduce a configure
flag to install it as just "fvwm".

 - J<