Subject: FVWM: Selected Autoraise

From: Graham Gough <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:58:08 +0000 (GMT)

Is there any way in the latest fvwm to use styles to have autoraise
turned on/off selectively for different classes of windows?

Graham
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 15 Mar 1999 09:58:27 -0500

%% Graham Gough <[email-masked]> writes:

  gg> Is there any way in the latest fvwm to use styles to have autoraise
  gg> turned on/off selectively for different classes of windows?

No.

Not yet?

We're out of flags in the internal fvwm structures for new styles; one
of the goals of the next version is the GSFR (Great Style Flag Rewrite)
which will change these structures to avoid the current limit.
Customizing focus on a per window basis is often used as an argument for
the new feature (not like it needs one).

However, I'm not entirely sure how this will work in your case, since
autoraise is actually implemented via a module, not by fvwm proper.
People more knowledgeable than I on these subjects will have to
comment.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Local Echo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:02:59 -0700

> People more knowledgeable than I on these subjects will have to

What about Style "Netscape" ClickToFocus

that seems to work for me... Unless I don't understand the question right

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 15 Mar 1999 11:20:41 -0500

%% Local Echo <[email-masked]> writes:

  le> What about Style "Netscape" ClickToFocus

  le> that seems to work for me... Unless I don't understand the
  le> question right

But you can't do that with autoraise.

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:45:36 +0000

> But you can't do that with autoraise.

  Can this kind of be done with FvwmEvent? Possibly not, since it can't
yet pass the ID of the event-generating-window into functions ...
 
-- 
========================- http://www.rrds.co.uk/ -======================
 Neil Bird                   |   This is who we are     The time is near
                             |        There are 291 days remaining
 mailto:[email-masked] |                           [ T-84 days! ]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:49:55 -0500

> turned on/off selectively for different classes of windows?

	Short answer:  presently, no.

	Longer answer:  maybe, or maybe later.

	Someone suggested trying the ClickToFocus style. This depends on how
you use your desktop. If you view the focusing and raising of windows as
one indivisible action, instead of two discrete ones, it might give you
an approximation of what you're looking for. The windows to which you
give the ClickToFocus style will not be automatically raised when the
mouse cursor rests over them; they also will not be automatically given
focus - you will have to click them to focus and raise them.

	If you want certain windows to be given focus but not raised when the
mouse cursor is over them, and other windows to be both focused and
autoraised, then you're out of luck, for now.

	To implement the latter would require adding an additional style, which
can't be done till after the Great Style Flag Rewrite (GSFR). It would
also require one of a) a modification to the module interface, or b) a
new core FVWM command like AutoRaise (raise this window only if it has
the AutoRaise style). I would opt for approach b.

	Would you mind entering a request for this feature into the FVWM bug
tracking system, so it doesn't fall through the cracks?

- Bob

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 13:46:22 +0000

> yet pass the ID of the event-generating-window into functions ...
I just commited a patch to FvwmEvent that enables it to pass window-id's
to functions. Can you get the CVS version and see if it is useful.  I've
got a funny feeling that it's not quite enough.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:09:44 +0000

> got a funny feeling that it's not quite enough.

  Nah, our firewall won't let CVS go through it. Sounds good, though!

-- 
========================- http://www.rrds.co.uk/ -======================
 Neil Bird                   |   This is who we are     The time is near
                             |        There are 290 days remaining
 mailto:[email-masked] |                           [ T-83 days! ]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 23:59:31 +0100

> tracking system, so it doesn't fall through the cracks?

I think it's OK to just forward requests like these to
fvwm-bug. We don't really need all the extra information
for enhancement requests.

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].