Subject: Re: FVWM: compiling fvwmw-2.2 with shapes disabled

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 01 Mar 1999 10:27:17 -0500

%% "Pietralla, Siegfried" <[email-masked]> writes:

  ps> i've just downloaded and compiled fvwm-2.2.0. since i don't have
  ps> "shape.h" on my machine i configured with "./configure
  ps> --disable-shape". however when i went to compile i received
  ps> failures in some modules when it couldn't find certain files. i
  ps> made the following changes:

Hmm.  Someone will have to look at this.  We do test the various
--disable-* options, _but_ of course our systems all have the correct
header files so we probably wouldn't notice if there were some #includes
that weren't getting removed properly.

  ps> $ diff ./fvwm-2.2/modules/FvwmCpp/FvwmCpp.c
  ps> ./fvwm-2.2/modules/FvwmCpp/FvwmCpp.c-1
  ps> 43a44,45
  ps> > #include <X11/extensions/shape.h>
  ps> > #include <X11/Xmu/SysUtil.h>

  ps> $ diff ./fvwm-2.2/modules/FvwmM4/FvwmM4.c
  ps> ./fvwm-2.2/modules/FvwmM4/FvwmM4.c-1
  ps> 42a43,44
  ps> > #include <X11/extensions/shape.h>
  ps> > #include <X11/Xmu/SysUtil.h>

  ps> $ diff ./fvwm-2.2/modules/FvwmScroll/FvwmScroll.c
  ps> ./fvwm-2.2/modules/FvwmScroll/FvwmScroll.c-1
  ps> 35a36
  ps> > #include <X11/Xmu/WinUtil.h>

Note that context (diff -c) or unified (diff -u) diffs are much better
for patches, etc.

What would be perfect is if you could submit a bug to our online bug
database at http://www.fvwm.org/cgi-bin/fvwm-bug including a context or
unified diff of the changes you made to get this working?

  ps> 1.  should configure have taken care of the references to
  ps> "shape.h" for me? in which case i'm obviously unfussed about the
  ps> deletions.

It should have, yes, but since none of us actually has a system with no
shape extensions, it's hard to test 100% :(

  ps> 2.  what (if anything) has happened to me by deleting the lines
  ps> for "SysUtil.h" and "WinUtil.h"?

If the code compiles, you're probably OK.  If not, then you're not :)

  ps> while i'm here, any obvious reason why the hp 'c' compiler
  ps> wouldn't work?  fortunately someone had already installed gcc and
  ps> that does work (of course!).

  ps> Making all in libs
  ps>         cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I..      -g -c ClientMsg.c
  ps> cc: "ClientMsg.c", line 20: error 1000: Unexpected symbol: "*".
  ps> cc: "ClientMsg.c", line 20: error 1000: Unexpected symbol: ")".

I don't have an HP system, but from these errors I'd say offhand that
the "cc" that comes with HP is an older, K&R C compiler and doesn't
understand ANSI/ISO standard C.  Fvwm requires a standard C compiler, it
won't work with old K&R C compilers.  The standard was ratified in 1989,
10 years ago, so this wouldn't seem to be a huge restriction... but
there you go.

Just continue to use gcc.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].