Subject: FVWM: fvwm2 on SPARC Solaris 2.6

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 21:25:43 -1000

Hello,
    I've just installed fvwm2 on my SPARC20.  I have a problem with
system log messages popping up on the desktop which causes everything to
scroll up.  I've redirected standard error to /dev/null when starting
fvwm but this only stops some of the messages.  Other things like failed
remote logins into my workstation and error messages from applications
like Netscape also appear.  I've even edited the syslog.conf file to
output everything from /dev/console /dev/null but that didn't seem to
work.

mark payba

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 10:58:12 +0000

> output everything from /dev/console /dev/null but that didn't seem to

  Try having 'xterm -C' as the first thing to start up.

  I always do, in my .xinitrc:

# Start fvwm2
sleep 10 & pid=$!
fvwm2 &

.. other stuff

wait $pid

if [ -x $HOME/usr/fvwm2/login ]; then
    $HOME/usr/fvwm2/login               # Custom FVWM2 tools
else
    $OPENWINHOME/lib/openwin-init       # Default OpenWindows tools
fi

  ... and in the login script, kick off X tools that I only want run once
at login time (like netscape/xterms, etc. (as opposed to fvwm's Init
function which runs things every restart). 'xterm -C' is the first thing
it does, and that'll catch your console stuff. Pass in a nice small
geometry & iconise the thing if you don't care about it much.

-- 
========================- http://www.rrds.co.uk/ -======================
 Neil Bird                   |   This is who we are     The time is near
                             |        There are 292 days remaining
 mailto:[email-masked] |                           [ T-85 days! ]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 23:56:45 +0100

> output everything from /dev/console /dev/null but that didn't seem to

Do you have by any chance the 'root-tail' program running anywhere?

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].