Subject: FVWM: Themes and other stuff

From: Local Echo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 00:37:54 -0700

My question is more of asking the best way to go about it not if it's
possible because I know it is.

Well I'd like to implement some sorta simple theme setup for my
.fvwm2rc. maybe about 2 or 3 at most so it shouldn't be too hard,
however I want it to do more then the standard style changes.  What I
would like is for fvwm2 when started up to maybe read a file or
something that says what the last theme I was on was and use that one,
then I want it to modify maybe my .Xdefaults file or something I point
it to so that Netscape and all other apps follow that same colours
scheme which looks pretty nice I must say.  Does anyone know what method
editres uses to make changes in an app without restarting it?

So basically my question is what is the best way of going about this?
Like a bash script I imagine with a bunch of grep and awk commands would
be easiest, or does fvwm2 have this capability?  Lastly a way to do the
theme setup without using read commands on files that have all the style
decorations and the like since fvwm2 takes for ever to startup and it
uses too much memory.

Oh and I guess one more, is there any places that have good tutorials on
FvwmScript or FvwmForm?
-- 
 Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 20:53:00 +0200

> editres uses to make changes in an app without restarting it?

There are some tough applications when you try to change their settings.
xosview for example refused to accept anything I told it. I start it
this way now:

Exec echo 'xosview*background:' CBACK | xrdb -merge; exec /usr/X11R6/bin/xosview +load +mem -net -cpu -int -swap +page -geometry 100x50+0-0 -font FONTXXXS`

Sorry for the long line, but that's the way I do it. This way I can
modify its colours and font without restarting fvwm. Of course I have
to restart xosview.

I do quite a lot of this stuff. If you want I can send you my
config files, but I must warn you, they are quite complicated.

Hope that helps

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].