Subject: FVWM: X11R6 and Root Menu Behavior

From: Benoit Champagne <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Mar 1999 10:07:57 -0500

Hi all, 

I just upgraded my X11 server to R6.4. I also just upgraded my fvwm to 2.2. I
also run on Solaris 2.5.1 (if it ever has an effect).

My question is this:

When I click the root window (to get the "Utilities" menu say), it pops up
ok. Note that I click and release the button x. Now if I click and release on a
submenu entry, it pops up ok BUT the parent menu disappear. If I change my mind 
I cannot go back to the parent and must re-click the root menu to get the menu
again. It's annoying.

Does anybody have any idea why that is? I checked with fvwm2.0.45 and it does
the same thing when I know that running it above X11R5 (the stock X11 server
with Solaris 2.5.1) worked fine. I know it may be an X11R6 question but Im
asking just in case somebody could help me.

Thanks a lot in advance for your great help

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Continuum all the way                 COMPUTER ASSOCIATES
Benoit Champagne  ift.a             |  Main Line : (450) 978-4899
Tel  : (450) 978-4913               |    3090 Boul. Le Carrefour
FAX  : (450) 978-4909               |          Suite 300
Email: [email-masked]     |          Laval, PQ
                                    |           H7T 2J7
Nice Words from F1 analysts:
  Murray: And look at the flames coming from the back of Berger's McLaren 
   James: Actually, Murray, they're not flames, it's the safety light
---------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 16:39:45 +0100

> asking just in case somebody could help me.

That's because it is coded this way inside fvwm. I can't image why this should
depend on the X11 revision, but if it works differently with X11R5 then it's
a bug (with X11R5, not X11R6). Usually submenus are popped up automatically so
you don't have to click to open it (assuming that you use the 'Popup' builtin
for the submenus, not 'Menu'). I see that this is a problem when you have
turned off automatic popup explicitly (which I will probably fix with another
option when I've go the time).

Could you please post your MenuStyle lines so I can judge what exactly
you are trying to achieve?

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 09 Mar 1999 00:53:43 -0500

%% Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

  dv> That's because it is coded this way inside fvwm. I can't image why
  dv> this should depend on the X11 revision, but if it works
  dv> differently with X11R5 then it's a bug (with X11R5, not
  dv> X11R6). Usually submenus are popped up automatically so you don't
  dv> have to click to open it

I doubt he's clicking to open it.  I know when I click on a submenu it's
to post the submenu, just as you click and release to post the parent,
so that if my mouse slips down or off the menu somehow it doesn't
disappear; I do this a lot as an ease-of-use thing.

I agree that when the click started to post the new menu and delete the
parents I found that pretty disconcerting--I still wish it didn't do
that but I haven't been annoyed enough to file a bug about it.

Certainly no other menu system I know of behaves this way when submenus
are clicked...

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 10:48:44 +0100

> that but I haven't been annoyed enough to file a bug about it.

Now that you say it: I don't use that because I don't like it either.
Nothing I can't chane with another MenuStyle option. How about
'ClickShowPopup' and 'ClickSelectPopup' with ClickShowPopup as the default?

Bye

Dominik

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 09 Mar 1999 10:05:40 -0500

dv> Now that you say it: I don't use that because I don't like it
  dv> either.  Nothing I can't chane with another MenuStyle option. How
  dv> about 'ClickShowPopup' and 'ClickSelectPopup' with ClickShowPopup
  dv> as the default?

I like it except I wonder if we can't come up with a more descriptive
verb than "Select"; to me it's not obvious that this means "make this
popup the only menu".  Unfortunately I can't think of anything better.
Maybe "ClickForRootPopup" or something?

Of course, maybe we don't need an option?  Does anyone _prefer_ the
current behavior?  Maybe we should just change it back and have done.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 23:51:47 +0100

> current behavior?  Maybe we should just change it back and have done.

Probably. But I'm sure someone is going to complain if we change
the behaviour.

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]