Subject: [[email-masked]: Re: FVWM: Found another bug in FVWM 2.2]

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 01:19:50 +0100

----- Forwarded message from Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> -----

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 00:00:36 +0100
From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: FVWM: Found another bug in FVWM 2.2
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mail-Followup-To: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Mutt 0.93.1i
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>; from Dan D Niles on Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 09:37:38AM -0600

On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 09:37:38AM -0600, Dan D Niles wrote:
> 
> I am using version 2.2, as indicated in the subject.  Guess I should have
> added that in the body also.

Drats, I didn't see it.

> 5 is modifier 5, which I have bound to that useless Window's 95 key.
> The C option does work, except for this one instance.  Perhaps they
> didn't get everything fixed from version 2.1.10.

'Them' is me in this case :) I did fix the problem in 2.1.10 or
we wouldn't have released 2.2.

> Did you try the bindings listed or did you just assume that I was an
> idiot because you couldn't understand my message?  Why not try the
> bindings for yourself, use another modifier if 5 is too exotic for
> you.

I used 'S' instead of '5' but otherwise just pasted the lines from
the mail into my .fvwm2rc. It worked perfectly well. BTW, I *never*
think of people who report bugs as idiots. I take 'customer'
satisfaction very seriously. If someone reports something one could
call 'stupid' we probably have a problem with our documentation. So
in the end it's almost always our fault. On the other hand I can only
guess if a reporter is an expert or newbie so I often ask questions
that may seem stupid in the other direction.

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

----- End forwarded message -----

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan D Niles <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:55:17 -0600

> that may seem stupid in the other direction.

The problem with that is that the S modifier is broken.  Try the
former with C instead and you will see the problem that my patch
fixes.  Oh, one other thing that might come into play, I use
ClickToFocus, and I don't use the module to automatically raise
windows when they receive focus.

The following bindings illustrate the problem with the S modifier.

Mouse 1       T        C     Maximize
Mouse 1       T        S     Maximize

Holding control and pressing mouse button 1 in the title bar causes the
window to be maximized without being raised, as one would expect.  It
also does not give the window focus.

Holding shift and pressing mouse button 1 in the title bar causes the
window to be maximized but also raises the window and gives it focus.

Shift is the only modifier that works this way.  All the others work
as one would expect.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 15:55:51 +0100

> window to be maximized but also raises the window and gives it focus.

Really? Are you sure this isn't caused by some other binding in your
.fvwm2rc or by your xmodmap? Shift and control are treated exactly
the same in the code.

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan D Niles <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:32:53 -0600

> .fvwm2rc or by your xmodmap? Shift and control are treated exactly

Unfortunately, yes.  I just removed all other mouse bindings and
checked it.  I suspect that the problem is in the ClickToFocus code
rather than the function calling code.   I don't use any S modifiers
so it doesn't really bother me.  I noticed it while testing the click
double-click thing.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 09:03:19 +0100

> so it doesn't really bother me.  I noticed it while testing the click

Yes, I could confirm this at home. I'll look into it when I have
the time.

Bye

Dominik