Subject: FVWM: rc file questions

From: Bob van der Poel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 14:33:42 -0700

A few things aren't going right for me.

1. If I have the following in my .fvwm2rc file it doesn't work:

Style Netscape* TitleIcon mini-nscape.xpm, StartsOnDesk 1, SkipMapping

However:

Style Netscape* StartsOnDesk 1, SkipMapping, TitleIcon mini-nscape.xpm

is fine. Does a TitleIcon command need to be at the end of a line?

2. I have 

	Style "*"       RandomPlacement

However, when my netscape windows come up they want to 'tile'. Each new
window is a bit lower (vertically) than the next. I assume that this is
to show the different titlebars. I have the geom set to +0+0 for the
netscape windows and really do want it that way. Can I force this?

-- 
   __
  /  )      /         Bob van der Poel
 /--<  ____/__        [email-masked]
/___/_(_) /_)         http://www.kootenay.com/~bvdpoel

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 29 Mar 1999 16:49:21 -0500

%% Bob van der Poel <[email-masked]> writes:

  bvdp> A few things aren't going right for me.

  bvdp> 1. If I have the following in my .fvwm2rc file it doesn't work:

  bvdp> Style Netscape* TitleIcon mini-nscape.xpm, StartsOnDesk 1, SkipMapping

  bvdp> However:

  bvdp> Style Netscape* StartsOnDesk 1, SkipMapping, TitleIcon mini-nscape.xpm

  bvdp> is fine. Does a TitleIcon command need to be at the end of a line?

I've never heard of the "TitleIcon" command.  What version of fvwm are
you using?  That could well be your problem.  Have you looked at the
error log fvwm2 prints to see if there's a syntax error shown here?

Perhaps you mean "MiniIcon"?  Check the fvwm2 man page.

  bvdp> 2. I have 

  bvdp> 	Style "*"       RandomPlacement

  bvdp> However, when my netscape windows come up they want to
  bvdp> 'tile'. Each new window is a bit lower (vertically) than the
  bvdp> next. I assume that this is to show the different titlebars. I
  bvdp> have the geom set to +0+0 for the netscape windows and really do
  bvdp> want it that way. Can I force this?

If I understand you correctly, you should be able to create a specific
style for netscape windows and specify a different placement scheme for
them:

  Style "Netscape" <something else>

and that will override the "*" style.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob van der Poel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 15:27:40 -0700

> error log fvwm2 prints to see if there's a syntax error shown here?

How do I enable the printing of a error log?

> Perhaps you mean "MiniIcon"?  Check the fvwm2 man page.

Opps! I copies some stuff from the fvwm95 file.

> and that will override the "*" style.

Yes. I understand this. But, I guess what I'm asking is what placement
scheme forces the placement specified in the *geometry X resource? It
seems that fvwm2 is trying to be nice to me...and I don't want it to.

I'm using the 2.2 release.

Thanks.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:58:22 +0200

> How do I enable the printing of a error log?

Start an xterm with the '-C' option. This will display all messages
that go to the console (which is where fvwm printf its errors).

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].