Subject: FVWM: Re: [Fwd: FVWM who do I talk to.]

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 11:19:22 +0100

On Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 06:13:13PM +0000, [email-masked] wrote:
> I've done linux for years.  I found that the fvwm2 was a pain with what
> I call the dumb 95 bar at the bottom that wasted screen area.  So I've
> used the original fvwm that uses a .fvwmrc  It seems that the original
> fvwm has no official web page as the official FVWM web page is fvwm2.  I
> tried using fvwm2 and could not figure out how to get rid of the tribute
> to Microsoft 95 bar at the bottom of my screen.  Also I like to use 10
> 1x1 desktops so I can label each and swallow into the botton bar.  I've
> tried editing a fvwm2rc and did not have much luck.

Fvwm and fvwm2 are basically the same thing. The older version 1 (fvwm)
is not actively developed, distributed or supported anymore. A few days
ago we had the first release of version 2 (i.e. stable, non-beta release).
Please check our web site:

  http://www.fvwm.org/

I assume that you were using fvwm95 (a $%^*#@ 95 like spawn of fvwm2)
since you got this task bar by default. In fvwm2 itself this is
called FvwmTaskBar and is started in your .fvwm2rc with something like this:

  Module FvwmTaskBar

Removing this line will remove the task bar.

For your desktop dimension you put this command in the .fvwm2rc:

  DesktopSize 1x1

And swallow a FvwmPager module in your FvwmButtons bar. Basically
you have to start the pager with

  Module FvwmPager 0 9

which tells the pager to display the desks 0-9. Please check the
manpage for FvwmPager for details. If you need further assistance
I can send you an example.

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Lee Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Mar 1999 11:30:24 +0000

> called FvwmTaskBar and is started in your .fvwm2rc with something like this:

Personally I would have guessed he's got the 'AnotherLevel' Redhat
munged setup which complicates things even more ...

You'd have to mess around with your .Xclients and .xinitrc etc. to get
things to work sanely, or at least that's what I think I had to do ...

Lee.
-- 
I was doing object-oriented assembly at 1 year old ...  
For some reason my mom insists on calling it "Playing with blocks"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].