Subject: FVWM: console redirection failed

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 18:32:56 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

 I've compiled fvwm-2.2 with gcc on a Sun Sparc 5 running Solaris 2.5.1.

 When I try to get an xterm to act as a console, I get an error:

$ xterm -C&
xterm: Console redirection failed

 Anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this and how to fix it?
I spent an hour or so poking around in the list archives, but didn't come up
with anything that seemed to cover this.

	Regards,

		Monte Freeman
		[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 11 Mar 1999 18:32:44 -0500

%% [email-masked] writes:

  m>  I've compiled fvwm-2.2 with gcc on a Sun Sparc 5 running Solaris 2.5.1.
  m>  When I try to get an xterm to act as a console, I get an error:

I'm not sure I see how this could be a window manager issue.  It's up to
xterm whether it can get the console or not, not fvwm.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 18:45:03 -0500 (EST)

> xterm whether it can get the console or not, not fvwm.

 I would have thought the same thing. However, if I run olwm, twm, or mwm and
issue the same "xterm -C&" command it works just fine...

	-Monte Freeman
	 [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 12 Mar 1999 00:54:09 -0500

%% Regarding Re: FVWM: console redirection failed; you wrote:

  >> xterm whether it can get the console or not, not fvwm.

  m>  I would have thought the same thing. However, if I run olwm, twm,
  m> or mwm and issue the same "xterm -C&" command it works just fine...

Hmm.  Well, are you starting some other app in your .fvwm2rc file that
might be grabbing the console, like xconsole or similar, that doesn't
get started under the other WMs?

That's about all I can think of... BTW, xterm -C works fine for me under
fvwm 2.2 :-/.

---

From: "P.Davan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:42:36 +0000

Hi,

I had the same problem some time ago but with an other WM. It occured when
/dev/console belonged to root or someone else and the access rights didn't allow
me to write on it.

Check if either /dev/console belongs too you or at least its access right are
rwxrwxrwx (or 777 if you prefere).

To validate if this is your problem try to execute:
	echo "this is a test" > /dev/console
If you have an error message it means you are not allow to access the console.
Try to find who is using the console!

Regards,
Patrice.

-- 
Patrice Davan                [email-masked]

---

From: TG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:02:32 +0000

> Try to find who is using the console!

I don't really know what that console stuff is about, but I can start
"xterm -C" without problems on my system (i386, linux-2.0.34, RH5.1,
fvwm-2.2), though I don't see any difference with a regular xterm.
Echoing to /dev/console doesn't work, since it has permissions set to
600, and xconsole can't grab the console either.

Am I missing something important?

Tung