Subject: FVWM: Focus-and-Raise, resolution

From: "Philip H. Jensen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:01:59 -0500 (EST)

Thanks to all who made suggestions apropos of binding a key to cycle
through windows doing both Focus and Raise.  The solution of doing

	AddToFunc Focus-and-Raise "I" Focus
	+                         "I" Raise

and

	Key Tab A M Next [CurrentScreen *] Focus-and-Raise

did work, but only when the AddToFunc command was given as part of
the starting configuration: I had been trying to issue it via the
Fvwm Command "talk box", and this for some reason would not work.

  Phil

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:16:28 -0500

> Fvwm Command "talk box", and this for some reason would not work.

Phil,

Just for future refrence Talk and Console send individual commands to
fvwm and fvwm has no way of connecting them to getthe above working in
Talk you could:
AddToFunc Focus-and-Raise "I" Focus
AddToFunc Focus-and-Raise "I" Raise
Key Tab A M Next [CurrentScreen *] Focus-and-Raise
recapture

the recapture is just for good measure new Keybindings generally require
a recapture to get picked up by exisitng windows.

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Toshi Isogai <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 08:43:25 -0700 (MST)

> a recapture to get picked up by exisitng windows.

Huh?

This works in FvwmConsole.

Well, this works too.

  FvwmCommand 'AddToMenu "Utilities" "xclock" exec xclock' ' + "test123" Exec exec Eterm '

Did somebody downgrade them recently?

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Toshi Isogai          [email-masked]
磯貝利明
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 16:06:31 +0000

>         AddToFunc Focus-and-Raise "I" Focus

It will work most of the time but there is no guarantee that something
else hasn't caused fvwm to execute an AddToMenu or something.  If that
happens the plus command will be diverted and won't get added to the
Focus-and-Raise function. If you start using FvwmEvent/FvwmCommand to do
magic things automatically like creating functions or menus on the fly
you might very well get bitten by this.

It's probably quite safe to use "+" in FvwmConsole etc. but only if you
do it fairly quickly, i.e. don't go for a coffee in between.

fvwm could remember the destination the last AddTo* command on every
input stream and use that for "+" commands from modules, but it's a lot
of work and no-one has reported being affected by it.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:49:28 -0500

On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 08:43:25AM -0700, Toshi Isogai wrote:

>       AddToFunc Focus-and-Raise "I" Focus + "I" Raise
>
> Well, this works too.
>

oops, you are right it didn't work at somepoint and I forgot that it was
fixed, you are correct it works in console, talk, and command.  So the
key here is the need for the recapture

Brad

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 00:05:21 +0100

> Fvwm Command "talk box", and this for some reason would not work.

That was the 'Key ...' line probably. Key bindings are not
activated before you do a 'Recapture'.

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].