Subject: FVWM: SloppyFocus/ClickToFocus

From: Local Echo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 04:03:29 -0700

Is it possible to get SloppyFocus/ClickToFocus in fvwm2.3.0?  Or to be
more exact SloppyFocus but still have the ClickToFocus ability to click
anywhere in the window rather then just the titlebar/border to raise?

--
 Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 17:38:36 -0500

> anywhere in the window rather then just the titlebar/border to raise?

	That's the intent of the 

GlobalOpts MouseFocusClickRaises

option. It does produce the intended effect; unfortunately, it breaks a
couple of other things, so I can't recommend its use right now. Maybe
one of us will have a chance to figure out how to fix it before the next
release.

	I'll try to find my old notes on the problem (from 2.0.46 days) this
weekend and see if I can refresh my memory of what it breaks and why (as
well as I recall, it's pretty convoluted!) I believe it caused a problem
with moving undecorated transients, and also a failure of some apps to
receive double clicks.

- Bob

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 00:00:32 +0100

> one of us will have a chance to figure out how to fix it before the next

I'm using it for months now and it breaks nothing. What do you have in mind?
I can indeed recommend that. The only thing you might or might not like is
that the click is always passed to the application. That hardly ever matters
however.

> with moving undecorated transients, and also a failure of some apps to

Moving undecorated transients has been 'fixed'. This was not even a bug
since undecorated transients don't have a border (they only look as if),
so you can't move them with the mouse over the border. I've never noticed
any application having trouble with double clicks.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 02:10:35 -0500

Dominik Vogt wrote:
> Moving undecorated transients has been 'fixed'.

	Great! I'd missed that. Do you remember what was done to fix it?

> This was not even a bug since undecorated transients don't
> have a border (they only look as if), so you can't move them
> with the mouse over the border. 

	Well, I considered it a bug. The behavior was inconsistent with the
handling of naked transients in all other circumstances, where you could
drag with the mouse in the context of the tiny exposed bit of the frame.
I'm glad it's been fixed.

> I've never noticed any application having trouble with double clicks.

	I had the problem with moxfm. Still do. This seems to be an
app-specific problem, however, so I'll have to withdraw my
non-recommendation - except for someone who uses moxfm.

- Bob

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 20:44:21 +0200

> 	Great! I'd missed that. Do you remember what was done to fix it?

No. But that's why I have all releases since 2.0.45 on my disk :)

In events.c(HandleButtonPress) I had to change this code:

    if (...)
    {
      RaiseWindow(Tmp_win);
      KeepOnTop();
    }
    XSync(dpy,0);
    XAllowEvents(dpy,ReplayPointer,CurrentTime);
    XSync(dpy,0);
    return;

to the new version:

    if (...)
    {
      RaiseWindow(Tmp_win);
      XSync(dpy,0);
      XAllowEvents(dpy,ReplayPointer,CurrentTime);
      XSync(dpy,0);
      return;
    }

The old code simply gobbled up the button press before the
binding could be processed. The original bug report mentioned
the corners of a transient. Since undecorated transients don't
have corners you can't bind anything to them. Only the side bars
('s') will work.

> I'm glad it's been fixed.

Well, after looking again I must confess it was a real bug.

Bye

Dominik ^_^