Subject: FVWM: Some windows 'ignored'

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:08:15 +0000

I'm running 2.1.11 still, under Sparc/Solaris 2.4.

  Basically: with windows popped up from our GUI builder, I can't perform
any fvwm operations. E.g., I have <Meta+menu> defined to always give the
window control menu, but these windows don't do it; the <Front> key also
fails to function. If I run 'move' with no parameter, I just get a beep
when selecting one of the windows.

  I'm guessing there's a hint/property on these windows that I've somehow
got fvwm obeying, but I can't see what fvwm Hints options to change that
I've not tried already. Here's the output of xprop on one:

WM_HINTS(WM_HINTS):
                Client accepts input or input focus: True
WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols  WM_DELETE_WINDOW
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                user specified location: 578, 45
                program specified size: 97 by 129
                program specified minimum aspect ratio: 97/129
                program specified maximum aspect ratio: 97/129
WM_ICON_NAME(STRING) = "gdd_top"
WM_NAME(STRING) = "UAT - GDD"

  ... and here's a bit of my config:

Style "*"  BorderWidth 4, HandleWidth 4
Style "*"  Icon unknown1.xpm
Style "*"  MWMDecor, OLDecor, HintOverride
Style "*"  DecorateTransient, NoPPosition
Style "*"  SloppyFocus, SkipMapping
Style "*"  RandomPlacement, SmartPlacement
Style "*"  UseStyle DoodleButtonsMin
Style "*"  IconBox 0 381 -1 -1, IconFill Top Right
Style "*"  BackColor #40bdff, ForeColor black

  Any ideas anyone?

-- 
========================- http://www.rrds.co.uk/ -======================
 Neil Bird                   |   This is who we are     The time is near
                             |        There are 296 days remaining
 mailto:[email-masked] |                           [ T-89 days! ]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Adam L Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 17:26:42 +0000

>   Any ideas anyone?

The behaviour you describe is consistent with the application making its
windows "unmanaged". If they don't appear in the WindowList menu, that would
confirm this. FVWM can't "see" unmanaged windows, so can't do anything with
them. Why the app would be doing this, I don't know (very few apps do), but
if it is the case, it can only be fixed in the app.

-- 
Adam Rice -- [email-masked] -- Blackburn, Lancashire, England

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:49:19 +0000

> if it is the case, it can only be fixed in the app.

  Thanks. You're right, it doesn't appear in the WindowList.

  Trouble is, the windows are created automatically by the GUI builder we
use. I'll have to see if I can bodge around it ...

-- 
========================- http://www.rrds.co.uk/ -======================
 Neil Bird                   |   This is who we are     The time is near
                             |        There are 295 days remaining
 mailto:[email-masked] |                           [ T-88 days! ]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:18:16 +0000

Adam L Rice wrote:
> >  [ some popup windows won't move/front/back ]
> >   Any ideas anyone?
> 

  I just had a thought about this: olwm (& olvwm, & twm I believe) allowed
these windows, if not to be resized (and maybe moved), to be raised &
lowered with a key press.

  Why not fvwm? What's different?

-- 
========================- http://www.rrds.co.uk/ -======================
 Neil Bird                   |   This is who we are     The time is near
                             |        There are 294 days remaining
 mailto:[email-masked] |                           [ T-87 days! ]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Adam L Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 23:57:28 +0000

> lowered with a key press.

Then it's a mystery.

>   Why not fvwm? What's different?

I don't know. I've only run across apps with unmanaged windows a couple of
times, and apart from thinking "ah, that's interesting", never gave it much
investigation. Perhaps someone who's done more X programming would care to
comment?

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 08:37:37 +0000

> investigation. Perhaps someone who's done more X programming would care to

  Having played abit more, I'll clarify a little. The popups created by
this app. come up at the front, as you'd expect. But one can't move them
(under fvwm), they're not listed in the WindowList, and, most annoyingly,
*no* window will come to the front over them - if one raises a window, it
still ends up underneath the popup :-(

  The /only/ thing I can think of is that I've got some bizarre fvwm
'honour unsociable windows' flag set, but I still can't figure out what
(see previous mail for settings/X flags).

-- 
========================- http://www.rrds.co.uk/ -======================
 Neil Bird                   |   This is who we are     The time is near
                             |        There are 291 days remaining
 mailto:[email-masked] |                           [ T-84 days! ]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].