Subject: Re: FVWM: Problem with F2 in FVWM 2.2

From: Dan D Niles <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 12:30:54 -0600

> I just upgraded to FVWM 2.2 and my keybinding for F2 has stopped working.
> The binding I have is:
> 
> Key F1		A	A	Prev [CurrentPage WinId1] FlipFocus
> Key F2		A	A	Prev [CurrentPage WinId2] FlipFocus
> 
> The F1 key (and all others) works just fine. I find the following 
> error in my .xsession-errors every time I hit F2:
> 
> /tmp/.wm_pid: No such file or directory
> 
> 
> Any idea what is causing this?  I searched in the fvwm2 man page
> and didn't find anything about it using F2 for its own purposes.
> 
> Dan

I tracked down the bug.  When a function has double click actions single
clicks get the wrong type.  Below is a patch that fixes the bug.

Dan

--- fvwm/complex.c.orig	Tue Mar  9 12:04:57 1999
+++ fvwm/complex.c	Tue Mar  9 12:18:57 1999
@@ -179,6 +179,13 @@
       type = DOUBLE_CLICK;
       ev = &d;
     }
+  /* If a function has DOUBLE_CLICK actions, a single click results in
+   * type = ONE_AND_A_HALF_CLICKS, which causes CLICK actions to stop
+   * working.  This hack fixes it, but the way double clicks are
+   * handled should probably be fixed in a better way. 
+   * Bug fix by -DDN- (Dan D Niles [email-masked] or [email-masked]) */
+  if( type == ONE_AND_A_HALF_CLICKS ) type = CLICK; /* -DDN- */
+
   /* some functions operate on button release instead of
    * presses. These gets really weird for complex functions ... */
   if(ev->type == ButtonPress)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan D Niles <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 12:46:40 -0600

This problem has gone away.  I tracked down the /tmp/.wm_pid file to
workman.  I had F12 bound to send a command to workman.  I have no
idea what that has to do with F2, but everything is working fine now.

*shrug*

Dan

> To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].
>

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 14:01:15 -0500

> > /tmp/.wm_pid: No such file or directory

I believe this is "workman" complaining that you are trying to send a
signal of some sort to workman, but the main workman processes pid file
is missing.  This appears to be unrelated to the rest of the problem.

> clicks get the wrong type.  Below is a patch that fixes the bug.

Yep, different Dan

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 09 Mar 1999 14:38:45 -0500

%% Dan D Niles <[email-masked]> writes:

  ddn> This problem has gone away.  I tracked down the /tmp/.wm_pid file
  ddn> to workman.  I had F12 bound to send a command to workman.  I
  ddn> have no idea what that has to do with F2, but everything is
  ddn> working fine now.

Note on some keyboards the F11 and F12 keys work like F1 and F2, by
default (this has been true on my Sun keyboards I've used, where F11 is
often bound to the "Stop" button on the left side keypad, and F12 is
bound to "Again").

Don't know if that's true for you or not but a short exploration with
xkeycaps might be in order...

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].