Subject: FVWM: X Server Lock FVWM 2.1.10

From: Don <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 21:47:05 -0700

Hi all,
	I just upgraded to FVWM 2.1.10 from 2.1.7 and immediately started
experiencing x server lockups. No core dumps or any other remains to
look at. I can't even say it is a problem with Fvwm, but where would a
good place to start be.

-- 
Don Grames                             Life With Linux
[email-masked]                             is real
xterm:  fatal IO error 2 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:08:57 +0100

> look at. I can't even say it is a problem with Fvwm, but where would a

I had the same with 2.0.46 and all later fvwm's (well, I never used
another window manager long enough to verify if it's fvwm only).
The X server doesn't really lock up. It just takes a minute or two
before fvwm comes up.

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:47:09 -0500

> look at. I can't even say it is a problem with Fvwm, but where would a

With X Server lockups, if you can log into the machine from outside of
X, then stack  traces of  fvwm2 and any  active fvwm2  modules is  the
place to start.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 16 Feb 1999 09:50:40 -0500

%% Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

  >> look at. I can't even say it is a problem with Fvwm, but where would a

  dv> I had the same with 2.0.46 and all later fvwm's (well, I never used
  dv> another window manager long enough to verify if it's fvwm only).
  dv> The X server doesn't really lock up. It just takes a minute or two
  dv> before fvwm comes up.

The problem might be more than this.  Remember there were situations
where some of the modules (WinList again?  I forget) and fvwm2 could get
into a deadlock situation in some circumstances, where both were waiting
for the other--something to do with input grabs or something.

I believe a partial fix for this was made (actually IIRC it involved
removing a fix that made this problem worse) in later betas.

PS. fvwm takes a minute or two to come up?  Really?  Amazing.  Even back
    when I had a pathetic 486/66 for Linux fvwm2 started a lot faster
    than that for me.  Of course, my config is pretty straightforward.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 14:55:23 +0100

>     than that for me.  Of course, my config is pretty straightforward.

No it's not fvwm2. It's the X server that is hanging. The fvwm2 line
in my .xinitrc hasn't even been touched when it hangs.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 16 Feb 1999 11:04:47 -0500

dv> No it's not fvwm2. It's the X server that is hanging. The fvwm2 line
  dv> in my .xinitrc hasn't even been touched when it hangs.

Oh.  _That_ almost certainly means your networking is set up incorrectly
on your system somehow.  X hangs waiting for some network system call to
timeout, most likely gethostbyname(): a DNS lookup maybe?  Does this
happen when you have a valid network connection, or only when you don't?

If the former, I dunno! :)  If the latter, check your /etc/hosts file,
for example, to make sure the hostname of your system appears there
(maybe with 127.0.0.1?).  If so, you should go follow the path from your
gethostbyname man page to find out how your system does
hostname-to-address lookups; depending on whether you're using DNS, NIS,
NIS+, etc. it can be done very differently.  Anyway, make sure that it
looks in /etc/hosts _first_, before DNS or NIS; that way (I think) if
your network is not "up" (PPP is not connected or whatever) it will
still find the hostname in /etc/hosts and won't punt.

HTH.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 23:04:05 +0100

> happen when you have a valid network connection, or only when you don't?

I've never started X when I already had a network connection so I can't
answer this. My system has undergone a lot of network configuration
changes (ranging from 'none at all' to 'automatically configured PPP setup
with DNS'). The problem has always been the same: when I kill an X session
during startup and immediately start it again the server *sometimes* hangs.
I doubt that it's really a problem of my network configuration and I really
don't care. It's more of academic interest to me. If I find the time I may
play with it, but I don't think it will help. 

----- ten minutes later -----

Nope, my name resolution is OK and fiddling with it does not help.

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Josin Etienne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:55:09 -0700 (MST)

> Nope, my name resolution is OK and fiddling with it does not help.

hi dominik, 
i have that same problemo.  just to compare notes, what do you have 
for network startup ? 

my machine (a RH 5.0 with .46 fvwm) is only connected to a network
when i start ppp.  

If ppp is not up,  pine will not get going. (a hint)

I have never tried to start X with a ppp connection up.  But X sure takes 
about 2 minuts to come up.

-- thanks - josin
_________________________________________________________________________
In Heaven there will be no DOS, no Intel, and above all, no Bill.