Subject: FVWM: Updating my fvwm2rc, and Windows Alt-Tab behaviour

From: William Denton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 01:45:30 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I installed 2.2 last night and everything went perfectly fine.  I upgraded
my Xpm libraries first--I had 3.4f or something--and I got some nifty
zooming effects when I minimized windows, which then went away when I
started fiddling with my fvwm2rc, but that's not big deal because I never
minimize anything.

My set-up worked just as it had before under 2.0.46 and 2.1.7 and stuff,
but reading the fvwm2 man page I saw things like AddToDecor and
MenuStyle, which I hadn't noticed before.  I spent a little while reading
and editing and now I think I'm using all the new commands to make
everything look the same way it did before.  I guess this will prove
worthwhile when the old ways stop working.

I'm hesitant to ask, because I know I've seen talk about it before, but I
didn't see the answer to this in the archives or the man page:  how do I
get the Windows-style Alt-Tab behaviour?

Thanks to all the FVWM developers.  New window managers seem to be
springing up every week now, and some folks are running off to try the
latest resource hog so they can have zooming factal images as backgrounds
in their xterms, but I've always liked FVWM, felt it did what I wanted,
and now that it's back under regular development I'm pleased and grateful.

Bill
-- 
William Denton                       <URL:http://www.vex.net/~buff/>
Toronto, Ontario, Canada             Note I'm now at pobox.com.
 1:45AM  up 2 days, 11:54, 12 users, load averages: 0.77, 0.65, 0.60

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: William Denton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 02:45:09 -0500 (EST)

On 25 February 1999, William Denton wrote:

: I'm hesitant to ask, because I know I've seen talk about it before

And, in fact, section 3.3 of the FAQ is "How do I get Alt-Tab behaviour
like another GUI?"  Sorry, I thought I'd read it.

Bill
-- 
William Denton                       <URL:http://www.vex.net/~buff/>
Toronto, Ontario, Canada             Note I'm now at pobox.com.
 2:45AM  up 2 days, 12:53, 11 users, load averages: 0.67, 0.55, 0.92

---

From: William Denton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 03:25:51 -0500 (EST)

: And, in fact, section 3.3 of the FAQ is "How do I get Alt-Tab behaviour
: like another GUI?"  Sorry, I thought I'd read it.

Sorry to send out three messages in a row, but I now realize the best
place to look is the WindowList section of the fvwm2 man page. There's
better information there than in the FAQ.

The man page says to use

Key Tab A M WindowList "Prev FlipFocus"

which, when you hit Alt-Tab twice in quick succession, flips you back to
the window you were just in.  However, it wasn't raising that window, so I
created a function named Raise-and-FlipFocus:

AddToFunc "Raise-and-FlipFocus" "I" Raise
+                               "I" FlipFocus

and then defined Tab with

Key Tab A M WindowList "Prev Raise-and-FlipFocus"

and now it's peachy.  If I missed an easier way of doing this, please let
me know.

Bill
-- 
William Denton                       <URL:http://www.vex.net/~buff/>
Toronto, Ontario, Canada             Note I'm now at pobox.com.
 3:25AM  up 2 days, 13:34, 11 users, load averages: 0.84, 0.54, 0.48

---

From: awol <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 15:45:18 -0600

> started fiddling with my fvwm2rc, but that's not big deal because I never

Those "zooming effects" sound like FvwmAnimate. You probably disabled them

by editing the command to start the FvwmAnimate module out of your fvwm2rc file.

If you want them back..... try rtfm. (i.e. man FvwmAnimate)

Alex

--
[email-masked] or...http://awol.mtx.net.au
but usually on EFNET IRC.... but I'm pretty much awol there as well...
awol shrugs...."If all you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

---

From: William Denton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 01:25:56 -0500 (EST)

On 27 February 1999, awol wrote:

: Those "zooming effects" sound like FvwmAnimate. You probably disabled
: them by editing the command to start the FvwmAnimate module out of
: your fvwm2rc file.
: 
: If you want them back..... try rtfm. (i.e. man FvwmAnimate)

Yes, thank you ... but actually, I think the problem was that I was
defining ModulePath and it was pointing at an old FvwmAnimate which didn't
like the new fvwm, or something.  I erased the ModulePath definition and
ran FvwmAnimate and things went back to zooming.  That quickly became
annoying so I turned it off.

Has anyone modified their fvwm2rc so it's full of 2.2 features?  I'm
unsure of how to get some things working, or whether I should bother, and
would like to see an example of all the features turned on and working
overtime.

Bill
-- 
William Denton                       <URL:http://www.vex.net/~buff/>
Toronto, Ontario, Canada             Note I'm now at pobox.com.
 1:25AM  up 4 days, 11:34, 8 users, load averages: 0.80, 0.59, 0.47