Subject: FVWM: Re: Feature requests

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 09:34:05 -0500

Sullivan N. Beck <[email-masked]>  opined:
> The StartsOnPage function does this great... except that now, I have
to modify
> my fvwm2rc file every time I want to add a new X client.  I have to
create a
> special style for it.  I am willing to do this to get the setup I
want... but
> it doesn't seem to me that the fvwm2rc file is the correct place to be
defining
> all my clients.

    As Pete Forman correctly surmised, FVWM recognizes an Fvwm.Page
resource
in addition to the old Fvwm.Desk resource, so you can specify the
desk/page
placements on the fly via the -xrm option without modifying the .fvwm2rc
file.

    And, if you use StartsOnPage (or the *Page resource), you can also
use your
geometry options the way you would set them up for the, er, spatially
challenged
window managers: i.e., using a large displacement relative to page 0,0.
When you
set the page in FVWM, the -geometry placement is recalculated mod the
page
size, so you will get the correct page and the correct position on the
page
regardless of where you are when you start the app.

> I like to switch back and forth between window managers (mainly to
test them
> since I'm in charge of installing software). ...using the -geometry
option, I can
> make a list of clients work in all window manager (except fvwm...
unless I'm in
> the (0,0) page).  There are ways to get around this... but none are
very elegant.

    Specifying an -xrm command line flag is no more inelegant than
specifying a
-geometry flag.  :-)

    By the way, which other window managers are you dealing with? (I
often have
to jump back and forth among several different ones myself.)

- Bob

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].