Subject: FVWM: install directories

From: Jim Nicholson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 11:04:28 -0500 (EST)

This has been bugging me since 2.1.5.

Make install puts the modules into
${PREFIX}/libexec/fvwm/${FVWMVERSION}/ now, rather than just plain old 
${PREFIX}/lib/fvwm. I can understand doing this to support having
multiple versions of fvwm installed, but frankly, there doesn't appear 
to be any other specific provision for multiple versions in the
install process (i.e., making ${PREFIX}/bin/fvwm2 a symlink to
fvwm2.2, etc.) So the net effect of the current install is that it
breaks .fvwm2rc each time fvwm2 is updated, since ModulePath needs to
be altered. 

IMHO, it would be better to drop the version-specific target module
directory, or at least make it an option. The alternative would be to
have the module logic automatically check for a ${FVWMVERSION}
subdirectory in each directory in the module path. And please don't
suggest FvwmM4 or FvwmCPP; I don't accept that I need to run my entire 
config through a preprocessor just for this.

- Jim
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:30:07 +0000

> breaks .fvwm2rc each time fvwm2 is updated, since ModulePath needs to

ModulePath defaults to the right place so unless you have private
modules in another place and you need multiple directories on the
ModulePath you should be able to remove the ModulePath line from your
.fvwm2rc

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 24 Feb 1999 11:36:27 -0500

%% Jim Nicholson <[email-masked]> writes:

  jn> This has been bugging me since 2.1.5.

  jn> Make install puts the modules into
  jn> ${PREFIX}/libexec/fvwm/${FVWMVERSION}/ now, rather than just plain old 
  jn> ${PREFIX}/lib/fvwm. I can understand doing this to support having
  jn> multiple versions of fvwm installed, but frankly, there doesn't appear 
  jn> to be any other specific provision for multiple versions in the
  jn> install process (i.e., making ${PREFIX}/bin/fvwm2 a symlink to
  jn> fvwm2.2, etc.) So the net effect of the current install is that it
  jn> breaks .fvwm2rc each time fvwm2 is updated, since ModulePath needs to
  jn> be altered. 

No, it doesn't; I fixed this.  From NEWS:

  Changes in beta release 2.1.4 (December 1998)

  * Fvwm creates an environment variable FVWM_MODULEDIR containing the path
    to the default module directory, for use in config files, etc.

Also, in the man page under ModulePath:

 ModulePath
      Specifies a colon separated list of paths for fvwm to search when
      looking for a module to load.  Individual directories do not need
      trailing slashes.  Environment variables can be used here as well
      (i.e.   $HOME  or ${HOME}).  The builtin module path is available
      via the environment variable $FVWM_MODULEDIR.

The _RIGHT_ answer is twofold:

 1) If you don't need to add extra entries to the ModulePath, then
    _don't_ put it in your ~/.fvwm2rc file at all.  Just let the builtin
    path be used.  I think (hope!) we changed the system rc examples to
    remove the ModulePath setting.

 2) If you _DO_ need to add extra entries to the ModulePath, then use
    the $FVWM_MODULEDIR env. var. to represent the default path.

  jn> suggest FvwmM4 or FvwmCPP; I don't accept that I need to run my entire 
  jn> config through a preprocessor just for this.

You don't; env. vars. are expanded in ModulePath by fvwm itself.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Randall S. Winchester" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 13:04:55 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Jim Nicholson wrote:
: This has been bugging me since 2.1.5.
: 
: Make install puts the modules into
: ${PREFIX}/libexec/fvwm/${FVWMVERSION}/ now, rather than just plain old 
: ${PREFIX}/lib/fvwm. I can understand doing this to support having
: multiple versions of fvwm installed, but frankly, there doesn't appear 
: to be any other specific provision for multiple versions in the
: install process (i.e., making ${PREFIX}/bin/fvwm2 a symlink to
: fvwm2.2, etc.) So the net effect of the current install is that it
: breaks .fvwm2rc each time fvwm2 is updated, since ModulePath needs to
: be altered. 

I believe that the correct solutions it to install fvwm as;
${PREFIX}/bin/fvwm${FVWMVERSION} and linking it to ${PREFIX}/bin/fvwm2.

This has buged me and I and others have asked for this a couple months ago.

Randall

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 24 Feb 1999 13:27:20 -0500

%% "Randall S. Winchester" <[email-masked]> writes:

  rsw> I believe that the correct solutions it to install fvwm as;
  rsw> ${PREFIX}/bin/fvwm${FVWMVERSION} and linking it to
  rsw> ${PREFIX}/bin/fvwm2.

Yep, we all agree here.

The only issue is whether we're going to get the autoconf/automake folks
to add this as a standard feature (my preference), or whether we have to
hack it in ourselves :)