Subject: FVWM: It's here! FVWM 2.2

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Feb 1999 21:53:36 -0600

Nobody believed it would ever happen, but

        _______                        __  __            __
       / _____/__                     / / / /           / /
      / /     /_/                    / / / /           / /
     / /___  __  ______    _____    / / / / __    __  / /
    / ____/ / / / ____ \  / ___ \  / / / / / /   / / / /
   / /     / / / /   / / / /  / / / / / / / /   / / /_/
  / /     / / / /   / / / /__/ / / / / / / /___/ / __
 /_/     /_/ /_/   /_/ /_______//_/ /_/ /_____  / /_/
____________________________________________ / / ____
                                       _____/ /
                                      /______/

The F???? Virtual Window Manager workers list is very pleased to
announce the first official version of Fvwm2 ever:

  ___  __  __ __      __   _  _     ___        ___
 | __| ||  || ||      ||  /\\//\   // \\      // \\
 ||_   ||  || ||      || // \/ \\     //         //
 | _|  ||  || ||      || ||    ||    //         //
 ||     \\//   \\ /\ //  ||    ||   //__   _   //__
 ||      \/     \//\\/   ||    ||  /____| |_| /____|

Available at http://www.fvwm.org/ it includes the following

Highlights:

 ** GNU autoconf support for better portability.

 ** Dramatically improved menu handling with animated menus,
    proper cursor key navigation and better overall flexibility.

 ** SnapAttraction and SnapGrid commands allow you to line up
    windows and icons with ease.

 ** FvwmAnimate module controlling animated iconification.

 ** New syntax for menu styles (MenuStyle) with greatly enhanced
    configurability.

 ** Enhanced focus handling (Direction commands).

 ** Animated panels in FvwmButtons (like in CDE or VUE).

 ** FvwmEvent is the more flexible successor of FvwmAudio.
    FvwmAudio is still available.

And more...

 * The ClickToFocusClickRaises option to the GlobalOpts command
   (click in a window to raise it if you use mouse focus).

 * A new web site and a bug tracking system.

 * Faster startup.

 * Limiting color usage with the ColorLimit command.

 * Mini titles for FvwmPager (aka Balloons).

 * Multiple Icon Boxes, Icon box grids, and Icon box fill
   direction control.

 * Improved FvwmButtons button placement to give absolute control
   over where the buttons are placed.

 * FvwmTile and FvwmCascade modules have been combined into the
   new module FvwmRearrange. Shell scripts for FvwmTile and
   FvwmCascade provide backwards compatibility.

 * FvwmPager displays the current desk.

 * Consistent page handling commands MoveToPage and MoveToDesk.

 * Switch window focus with Alt-Tab, as in other popular GUI
   systems (please read question 3.3 in the FAQ).

 * The EdgeThickness command offers a way to make auto hide work
   more smoothly in FvwmTaskBar.

 * New commands DefaultFont, DefaultColors and Emulate.

 * More consistent and often simpler syntax of configuration file.

 * Lots of bug fixes to improve stability and portability.

 * Consistent copying policy.

and many small enhancements too numerous to list here.

More detailed information on the contents of this release can be
found at:

  http://www.fvwm.org/NEWS.html

-- 
Jason L Tibbitts III - [email-masked] - 713/743-3486 - 660PGH - 94 PC800
   System Manager:  University of Houston Department of Mathematics 
      "I survived while Ruby died in Jackie's trashy fantasy..."
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ives Aerts <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:56:26 +0100

> Available at http://www.fvwm.org/ it includes the following

Just nitpicking, but when you connect to this server it announces that
2.1.10 is the latest beta. Technically this is correct, but I find it
a bit confusing. Maybe it would be better to direct people to 2.2?

Cheers,
-Ives
______________________________________________________________________
Ives Aerts (R&D Software engineer)           Sony DNSE-Brussels
[email-masked]                       St.Stevens Woluwestr. 55
                                             B-1130 Brussels, Belgium
`A moose once bit my sister'                 PHONE : +32 2 724 86 11
                 (M.Python - The Holy Grail) FAX   : +32 2 724 86 88
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jonas Berlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 11:19:55 +0200 (EET)

> a bit confusing. Maybe it would be better to direct people to 2.2?

I just downloaded it from there.. Perhaps you should try your reload
button (also try with shift button pressed), etcetc. Your cache probably
contains the old version of the pages..

> -Ives

[ Jonas Berlin ]
[ tel: +358-40-5884454 / +358-9-5483430 ]
[ Kiloberget 10 F 55, 02610 Esbo, Finland ]
[ GSM SMS http://www.hut.fi/~jberlin/sms.html ]
[ mailto:[email-masked] ]
[ http://www.hut.fi/~jberlin ]

---

From: Ives Aerts <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 10:24:30 +0100

> contains the old version of the pages..

Oops, I seem to have made a mistake in my mail. I saw that message on
ftp.fvwm.org, not on the website. Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,
-Ives

---

From: Noel Yap <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:12:52 -0500

I see that fvwm still needs a C++ compiler to build.  Since C++ compilers
don't exist on all platforms and compilers, in general, are not that
simple to port, I feel this will hamper fvwm's ubiquitousness.  For
example, I, personally, am forced to stick with fvwm-1.24r simply 'cos I
am not able to build fvwm-2.2.  I like fvwm a lot, but I am prevented from
upgrading by it's dependency on a language that I am not able to compile.

Noel

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
> To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-announce" in the
> body of a message to [email-masked].
> To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Noel Yap <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:12:52 -0500

Noel

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:13:43 -0500 (EST)

On 23 Feb, Noel Yap wrote:

> I see that fvwm still needs a C++ compiler to build.

Not at all.  A C++ compiler is needed to build one or two of the
OPTIONAL modules.  If no C++ compiler is found, those modules will not
be built.

> For
> am not able to build fvwm-2.2.

Have you actually tried to compile Fvwm 2.2?  If it failed, what error
message was generated?  This would be considered a show stopping bug.

-- 
Larry Gensch					      [email-masked]

       "I suggest a new strategy, R2:  Let the Wookiee win." -- C-3PO

---

From: Mike Dennison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 14:41:58 +0000 (GMT)

I had this problem as well (with 2.1.7)

The problem was actually that the configure fails if you do not have a C++
compiler. If you use:

./configure --without-cxx

it should work OK, although I actually installed gcc with the 
C++ options and it all worked OK then....

best wishes

Mike

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike Dennison,                           email: [email-masked]
Western Geophysical Company
Field Services, LONDON, England
Tel: +44 (0)181 585 4302                    Mobile: +44 (0)7775 912579
Fax: +44 (0)181 231 7152
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Noel Yap <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 10:38:35 -0500

Then the configure script should be fixed.  On my machines, if a non-viable C++
compiler (ie possibly an old compiler) is found, the configure fails with an
error.

Noel

---

From: Noel Yap <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 10:46:21 -0500

This worked.

Thanks much,
Noel

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 23 Feb 1999 10:48:50 -0500

%% Noel Yap <[email-masked]> writes:

  ny> Then the configure script should be fixed.  On my machines, if a
  ny> non-viable C++ compiler (ie possibly an old compiler) is found,
  ny> the configure fails with an error.

Ouch!!  Did this get reported before, and we just let it slip through
the cracks?

I don't see any Jitterbug report about it, but I would have lobbied hard
to get it fixed before 2.2 if I'd known about it.

Can you provide an example of what configure generates if you have a
"non-viable" C++ compiler, and the appropriate contents of the
config.log file?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Noel Yap <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 11:17:34 -0500

This is what the output is from configure:
nyap@aviiondevelop:~/proj/oss/fvwm-2.2> ./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for a BSD compatible install... ./install-sh -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking whether to enable modal dialogs for applications... yes
checking whether to enable saveunders for pop-up menus... yes
checking whether to enable shape extensions... yes
checking whether to enable ActiveDown button state... yes
checking whether to enable Inactive button state... yes
checking whether to enable MiniIcon style option... yes
checking whether to enable vector button style... yes
checking whether to enable pixmap button style... yes
checking whether to enable gradient button style... yes
checking whether to enable stacked button styles... yes
checking whether to enable styled title-bars... yes
checking whether to enable BorderStyle command... yes
checking whether to enable UseDecor style option... yes
checking whether to enable WindowShade function... yes
checking whether to enable debugging messages... no
checking iconpath... /usr/include/X11/bitmaps:/usr/include/X11/pixmaps
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
checking for POSIXized ISC... no
checking for minix/config.h... no
checking for stdarg.h... yes
checking for vfprintf... yes
checking for waitpid... yes
checking for c++... no
checking for g++... g++
Using g++ to compile C++ programs
checking for c++... (cached) g++
checking whether the C++ compiler (g++  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler cannot create
executables.

Here are the contents of config.log:
nyap@aviiondevelop:~/proj/oss/fvwm-2.2> cat config.log
This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:610: checking for a BSD compatible install
configure:663: checking whether build environment is sane
configure:720: checking whether make sets ${MAKE}
configure:766: checking for working aclocal
configure:779: checking for working autoconf
configure:792: checking for working automake
configure:805: checking for working autoheader
configure:818: checking for working makeinfo
configure:853: checking whether to enable modal dialogs for applications
configure:874: checking whether to enable saveunders for pop-up menus
configure:895: checking whether to enable shape extensions
configure:919: checking whether to enable ActiveDown button state
configure:943: checking whether to enable Inactive button state
configure:967: checking whether to enable MiniIcon style option
configure:991: checking whether to enable vector button style
configure:1015: checking whether to enable pixmap button style
configure:1039: checking whether to enable gradient button style
configure:1063: checking whether to enable stacked button styles
configure:1087: checking whether to enable styled title-bars
configure:1111: checking whether to enable BorderStyle command
configure:1135: checking whether to enable UseDecor style option
configure:1159: checking whether to enable WindowShade function
configure:1183: checking whether to enable debugging messages
configure:1204: checking iconpath
configure:1231: checking for gcc
configure:1344: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works
configure:1360: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
configure:1386: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler
configure:1391: checking whether we are using GNU C
configure:1400: gcc -E conftest.c
configure:1419: checking whether gcc accepts -g
configure:1451: checking how to run the C preprocessor
configure:1472: gcc -E  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
configure:1532: checking for POSIXized ISC
configure:1554: checking for minix/config.h
configure:1564: gcc -E  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
configure:1560: minix/config.h: No such file or directory
configure: failed program was:
#line 1559 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <minix/config.h>
configure:1607: checking for stdarg.h
configure:1617: gcc -E  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
configure:1646: checking for vfprintf
configure:1674: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c  1>&5
configure:1706: checking for waitpid
configure:1734: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c  1>&5
configure:1873: checking for c++
configure:1873: checking for g++
configure:1911: checking for c++
configure:1943: checking whether the C++ compiler (g++  ) works
configure:1959: g++ -o conftest    conftest.C  1>&5
ld: /usr/lib/gcc-2/gcc-gnulib: fatal error: cannot open file for reading
configure: failed program was:

#line 1954 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

int main(){return(0);}

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 11:19:31 -0500 (EST)

> This is what the output is from configure:

[ some stuff deleted ]

> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler cannot create

I think that if the c++ compiler "doesn't work" it should not result in
an error, but rather set whatever variable that "--without-cxx" sets.

I stand corrected on my previous assertion that the configure script
would simply not build whatever extra modules that require C++ --
simply change the "would" to "should."

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 23 Feb 1999 15:57:04 -0500

Hm.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure what we can do about this situation.
The fatal error is occurring -within- the autoconf macro that tests for
a valid C++ compiler, and I see no way to avoid it and still run that
test (which is important, IMO).

We do everything we can: for example, if you have _NO_ C++ compiler, it
should work OK because we look around first and only try to test for a
valid compiler if we can find something that looks like it aught to be
one.

I think the only error case is if you have a C++ compiler, but it
doesn't work.  In that case you have to provide --without-cxx or
--with-cxx=no or configure will fail.

I'll ask the autoconf folks about this, but I'm not sure there's much we
can do (short of writing our own version of AC_PROG_CXX that doesn't
generate a fatal error).

Thx.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 19:47:17 -0500 (EST)

> upgrading by it's dependency on a language that I am not able to compile.

Have you looked into compiling GCC or EGCS? They are compilers and come
with C++ compilers. If all else fails, you could try this.
			-peace

--- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK ------------+-----------
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) | "In the morning glad I see
P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K? w++++  |  My foe outstrech'd beneath the tree."
O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5   |               -The Poison Tree
X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>*  h*(!) r-  |                William Blake
y*(+) ------ END GEEK CODE BLOCK -----+