Subject: FVWM: 'Default' menu options

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:09:40 +0000

I'm trying to get close to olwm's DEFAULT functionality.

  Unless anyone can recommend an alternative solution, I thought maybe the
best bet would be to pop up the sub-menu with a fixed 'Mouse' offset such
that the 'default' option appears under the pointer. But I can't - I can
only send the menu *away* from the pointer (it goes down/right or up/left
away using +ve/-ve offsets ... never positioning the menu *under* the
pointer), or centralise it.

  Am I missing something?

-- 
========================- http://www.rrds.co.uk/ -======================
 Neil Bird                   |   This is who we are     The time is near
                             |        There are 324 days remaining
 mailto:[email-masked] |                           [ T-117 days! ]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:39:02 +0100

> pointer), or centralise it.

Yes, that's right. This syntax is interpreted like a window geometry and
thus a negative value means 'put the lower/right edge relative to the
reference rectangle (i.e. the pointer)'. Could you hack in an enhancement
request for this? I wanted to enhance the syntax for this when I wrote
the position hints but somehow forgot this.

For now the best thing you could do is this:

  Popup foo mouse c c+48 NoWarp

(This guesses that the first entry is 48% of the menu height away from
the center. Might be utterly wrong for long/short menus or menus without
a title.)

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:43:45 +0100

> the position hints but somehow forgot this.

Any ideas for the syntax? Perhaps an additional option or

  t/b/l/r (top/bottom/left/right) like c for center?

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:57:22 +0000

> the position hints but somehow forgot this.

  Sorry - what are you after? A hack/fix for it, or a bug-request-form
filled out? Or both :)

> the center. Might be utterly wrong for long/short menus or menus without

  I'd actually tried that. On my 2.1.10, any offset after a 'c' is ignored
for Popup - the menu's just centred, not moved WRT the centre.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:00:08 +0100

>   Sorry - what are you after? A hack/fix for it, or a bug-request-form

A bug request form. I just need a reminder to really do it some
(not so distant) day.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:16:17 +0000

>   t/b/l/r (top/bottom/left/right) like c for center?

  Well. making the offsets from 'c' actually work would probably be the
easiest step! Esp. if one can do it with the 'p' suffix, e.g., Popup menu
Mouse 10p c-25p

  On top of that, I'd like, for the 'y' offset, something like 'i2'
meaning "position over the 2nd item". Or even 'i"Menu Option Name"' :-)

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:45:59 +0100

> easiest step! Esp. if one can do it with the 'p' suffix, e.g., Popup menu

What do you mean? Of course they work. What did you expect them to do?

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 10:25:00 +0100

> pointer), or centralise it.

Well, if you look at my 'one more patch...' mail you'll find a patch for
2.1.11. If changes the syntax so please read the manpage excerpt for
details. Would be nice if you could test it a bit.

Bye

Dominik