Subject: FVWM: FVWM and xterm (with active icons)

From: "Ben J. Cohen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 20:52:29 +0000 (GMT)

Hi!

I am running FVWM 2.0.46 and xterm 3.3.2.3 under FreeBSD 3.0.  

The other day I saw in the xterm man page the capability for "active
icons", where the icon for xterm becomes a minature picture of what's on
the screen (with about one pixel per character!)

(This doesn't work if you set FVWM to give xterm a specific icon.)

I have two questions:

It says in the man page that some window managers will allow you to type
into the mini-screen icons.  For example, twm will let you.  But FVWM
won't let me do this.  Is it possible to set it up so that I can?

Also, with FVWM set up as described as above, if I iconise an xterm to an
active icon and then deiconise it, any subsequent resize will reduce the
window to a 1x1 character screen, which won't expand again.  This doesn't
happen if xterm has active icon disabled, and it doesn't happen in twm.  
Is this a fault, or is there an option that I have set up wrongly?

Thanks,

Ben.

-----

P.S.

I hope that this is the correct place to send this message, but I don't
know of any xterm mailing lists, and it works under twm.

If you want to see a copy of my fvwm2 config then I can send it to you.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 14:15:50 -0800

Previously...
>the screen (with about one pixel per character!)

Hrmm, never heard of this.

>Is this a fault, or is there an option that I have set up wrongly?

This sounds like it *must* be related to the xterm-resize bug. The
xterm-resize bug is produced like so:
start an xterm
maximize it
change the font size
unmaximize
Oops, the window's the same pixel-size as it was before, instead of
returning to the same character geometry (80x24 should return to
80x24, whatever the size of the font)... ISTR that the bug is related
to fvwm not correctly detecting when a window does its geometry in
terms of character cells, rather than pixels.
-- 
[email-masked]
I will not mock Mrs. Dumbface
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Ben J. Cohen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 22:20:41 +0000 (GMT)

>Hrmm, never heard of this.

It is basically like setting the font size to "unreadable".

(Have you never heard of active icon, or of the problem?)

>This sounds like it *must* be related to the xterm-resize bug. 

Yes, I agree.  (In fact, you get exactly the same result as above if you
use the "unreadable" size font.)

Thanks,

Ben.

---

From: Jim Nicholson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 20:15:09 -0500 (EST)

> Hi!

Hi, Ben. You know, it really is a small world...

 > I am running FVWM 2.0.46 and xterm 3.3.2.3 under FreeBSD 3.0.  

[interesting stuff about active icons]

 > won't let me do this.  Is it possible to set it up so that I can?

Under Linux, it seems to vary from app to app. I iconified xev and
rxvt, and both still get key evens when the icon has focus. But xemacs
doesn't - or perhaps, more accurately, it seems to ignore the events
when it is iconified. The "stock" xterm that comes with Debian Linux
also doesn't handle key events when the window is iconified.

I also ran FvwmIdent against xterm and rxvt while iconified. Both
report 

Focus Policy:	    Passive
  - Input Field:    True
  - WM_TAKE_FOCUS:  Absent

 > know of any xterm mailing lists, and it works under twm.

We answer questions about *wm lately. Of course, you pay extra for
"helpful" and/or "correct" answers. ;)

- Jim Nicholson
[email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:05:01 +0100

> Is this a fault, or is there an option that I have set up wrongly?

This bug has been fixed in the 2.1.x betas.

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].