Subject: FVWM: xpm4.9?

From: Scott Scriven <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 17:34:20 -0700

Hi.  :)

Having trouble getting configure to recognize my Xpm libraries..  I've
got libXpm4.9 installed both in /usr and /usr/local, but configure fails
while "checking for Xpm 3.4f or better... no".  The two previous checks,
for "XpmReadFileToXpmImage" and "X11/xpm.h" pass.

Is Xpm-4.x incompatible with Xpm-3.x?  Where can I get the version which
Fvwm wants?  (I'm running fvwm-smr-2.0.46 now, and it works fine)  Or
should I just deceive configure so it thinks everything is okay?

If it matters, this is an SGI running irix6.5.  I'm trying to build
Fvwm-2.2.
:)

 _  _ _  _ ___ ___  -----------"Use the source, Luke!"---------
( \/ ( \/ (__ (__ ) | ~  Scott Scriven (Toy Keeper / XYZZ)    |
 \  / \  /  //  //  | mailto:[email-masked]           |
 /  \ / /  //_ //_  | mailto:[email-masked]         |
(_/\_(_/  (___(___) | http://www.vis.colostate.edu/~scriven/  |
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 24 Feb 1999 00:49:15 -0500

%% Scott Scriven <[email-masked]> writes:

  ss> Having trouble getting configure to recognize my Xpm libraries..
  ss> I've got libXpm4.9 installed both in /usr and /usr/local, but
  ss> configure fails while "checking for Xpm 3.4f or better... no".
  ss> The two previous checks, for "XpmReadFileToXpmImage" and
  ss> "X11/xpm.h" pass.

I've never heard of xpm 4.9.  The latest version (AFAIK) is 3.4k.

Why do you think you have version 4.9?  Note that the number on the
shared library (e.g., libXpm.so.4.9) is _not_ the version number we're
talking about here.

  ss> Is Xpm-4.x incompatible with Xpm-3.x?  Where can I get the version
  ss> which Fvwm wants?

Please see the INSTALL.fvwm file.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Scott Scriven <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 13:33:31 -0700

Scott Scriven wrote:
> Having trouble getting configure to recognize my Xpm libraries.. 

Thanks for the help, everyone.  :)  I had an old Xpm header laying
around which I had forgotten about.

And, much to my surprise, fvwm-2.2 works perfectly with my old config
files!  Now I just need to figure out how to take advantage of the new
stuff...  :)

BTW, are there any plans to make the thin, invisible screen-edge borders
optional?  Clicking at the edge of the screen invariably pops up my root
menu, which is undesirable most of the time.

And, is there a way to disable page scrolling with the mouse, except
when it's dragging a window?

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 15:52:04 -0500

> when it's dragging a window?

Sounds like you are looking for the new "EdgeThickness" command.
It deals with both issues.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Scott Scriven <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:43:20 -0700

> It deals with both issues.

Yep.  I tried it, and it does the opposite of what I want. 
"EdgeThickness 0" prevents me from dragging windows across pages (bad),
but keeps the root menus at screen edges (also bad).   :(

Previously, I have just disabled mouse-page-scrolling and
edge-root-menus in the sources, leaving on only the bits which handle
window drags.  

Otherwise, this release is great!  I've been scaring my co-workers all
day, since I "Woo-hooey!" every time I find a new feature..  :)

To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 08:58:16 +0000

> but keeps the root menus at screen edges (also bad).   :(

EdgeThickness is improved in the current CVS source and will be in the
next beta. It only works once at the moment but you will be able to get
what you want with a function:

DestroyFunc paging_move
AddToFunc paging_move I EdgeThickness 2 # or 1 if it works for your
server
+ I Move
+ I Edgethickness 0

Cheers,
Tim.