Subject: FVWM: Running multiple fvwm's on multiple X servers

From: "Jakob Ess" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 02:54:52 PST

I am normally using my X server in 16 bit mode, but I have these odd 
programs that only work on an 8-bit server.  As an experiment, I started 
a second X server (:1) in eight-bit mode.  To get fvwm to start on the 
second server, I had to put
	exec fvwm2 -d :1
in my .xinitrc.  I then got a window manager running on each screen.  
But they INTERFERE!  They both start behaving eratically, not giving 
focus to the windows (or even suddently closing them), and the key 
bindings are messed up.  Somehow, they seem to be sharing some data, 
that then gets messed up.

Is there a correct way to do this?

BTW, I am running version 2.0.46.

Best regards,

Jakob

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 08:14:54 -0500

> BTW, I am running version 2.0.46.

I often do this in my .login (csh syntax)
xinitrc & >& $HOME/.log:0 ; xinitrc -- :1 -bpp 24 >& $HOM/.log:1

this gives me one server on :0 running at the default and one on :1 running in 24 bit.  Hope this helps

Brad