Subject: FVWM: Misc Problems

From: Andrew Laden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 14:15:25 -0500 (EST)

Heya all.
 Few misc problems.

Fvwm 2.1.10, solaris 2.5.1, With xpm.

1: Decorating transients in Netscape 4.5 and others.

 Using netscape 4.5, with my decor set essentailly to the Windows 95 look
provided in the sample config files.
 Netscape occasionally pops up secondary windows. Advertisements,
supplimental windows etc. 
 These windows dont get all the buttons that I have defined. In
particular, they dont get button 2, which is mapped to close. Its
annoying, since thats what I usually want to do with those windows. Its
not greyed out in the menu, so there is no "hint" blocking it. However,
the iconify and maximize are greyed out in some of them, yet I still see
the iconify button. Maybe there is some bug between mapping what buttons
should be hinted out vs what buttons actually are?
 I noticed the same thing with Sun's "Calendar manager". On the
appointment editor window, maximize and iconify are greyed out, close is
not, but the iconify button is the only one on the title bar.

 There used to be a "decorate transients" style setting, but I dont see it
in the man pages any more.

 Any idea how I can get these windows fully decorated?

2: FwvmPager middle button.
 According to the man page, the middle button...

     Dragging mouse button 2 on a miniature view of a window will
     cause  that  window  to  be  move  to the location where you
     release the mouse button, but your viewport will not change.

My problem is that the viewport DOES change. If I have a window on the
screen. and I use the panner and drag the window to another page, my
viewport changes to that page. 
 If I click using button 2 on a mini-view of a window in another pager,
that window gets keyboard focus (correct behavior) but my viewport also
switches to that page (incorrect behavior)
 Bug? Or some odd style or other setting that says the window with
keyboard focus is automatically rasied and warped to?
 
-Thanks
-Andrew

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrew V. Laden               | Voice: (212) 486-8295
A.V.P. Technology             | Fax  : (212) 355-4271
Sakura Global Capital         | Quote: "Its not my fault!
[email-masked]                |          They told me they fixed it!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 14:30:28 -0500

>  Any idea how I can get these windows fully decorated?

Style "*" DecorateTransients

is still mentioned in the man page.  However, the option doesn't seem to
be actually described...

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 02 Feb 1999 14:46:00 -0500

%% Andrew Laden <[email-masked]> writes:

  al> 1: Decorating transients in Netscape 4.5 and others.

  al>  Using netscape 4.5, with my decor set essentailly to the Windows
  al> 95 look provided in the sample config files.  Netscape
  al> occasionally pops up secondary windows. Advertisements,
  al> supplimental windows etc.  These windows dont get all the buttons
  al> that I have defined. In particular, they dont get button 2, which
  al> is mapped to close. Its annoying, since thats what I usually want
  al> to do with those windows. Its not greyed out in the menu, so there
  al> is no "hint" blocking it.

I think there is, though.  I don't think the Motif hints are reflected
in the menu selections (how could they be?).

  al> However, the iconify and maximize are greyed out in some of them,
  al> yet I still see the iconify button. Maybe there is some bug
  al> between mapping what buttons should be hinted out vs what buttons
  al> actually are?

There's no bug, that's a feature! :)

There's no way for FVWM to know which of the 7 (or whatever) buttons the
user defined should be ignored when the window hint for "can't iconify"
is set (for example).

So, it chooses the Motif defaults; that is, for iconify or minimize, it
chooses the second to the right.  Etc.

If you want to tell FVWM that different buttons should take effect for
the different Motif hints, then see the ButtonStyle command, where you
can attach MWMDecorMenu, MWMDecorMin, and MWMDecorMax flags to the
appropriate buttons.

I'm not sure if there's any way to get FVWM to ignore these hints
altogether?  I guess if you turn off MWMFunctions?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Andrew Laden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 15:40:46 -0500 (EST)

Ok. Cool. Getting closer.

 Using the info below, I can get rid of the iconify button on the
transient. 

 But the close button still doesnt show up.

So lets change the question. How can I get the close button to show up on
those transient windows? I guess I could

 Style "*"       NoDecorHint, NoFuncHint, NoOLDecor

But thats throwing the baby out with the bathwater I think.

With the hints and functions on, fvwm seems to get rid of the close button
if there are any other hints. Maybe its a location thing. If button 4 goes
away, it takes away button 2 as well. If 6 goes away, it takes out 2 and
4. Etc.

(BTW, Motif hints are reflected in the window menu. It greys out
inappropriate selections. HintOverride allows you to select them anyway)

Also, on a side note. The MWMButtons style doesnt seem to be working
either.

-Andrew

--

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 16:15:44 -0500

>  But the close button still doesnt show up.

Is that with  "cm", or a Motif application?   I can't verify this now,
but I think OLDecor would control the close  button with "cm".  In any
case, I  think you are looking at  the effect of enabling Open Windows
or Motif decor hints.

> But thats throwing the baby out with the bathwater I think.

I think not.

Its a separate question as to why "cm" transients set  the hint for no
close button and then don't supply a pulldown for close.  I don't have
the answer for  that, but found it  useful to create a keybinding  for
close.  "dtcm" transients do have a pull down menu for close.

If you want the close button on all windows, tell  fvwm2 to ignore the
decor hints.

> away, it takes away button 2 as well. If 6 goes away, it takes out 2 and

As I remember this discussed years ago, it is a location thing.  Right
now the actual logic in the source code is hiding from me...

> Also, on a side note. The MWMButtons style doesnt seem to be working

Please report the application, your Motif settings in your .fvwm2rc
and the symptom.

---

From: Andrew Laden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 16:29:08 -0500 (EST)

> case, I  think you are looking at  the effect of enabling Open Windows

Both. cm, and netscape. As a hunch I went through all perumations of
OLDecor/NoOLDecor MWMFunctions/NoFuncHints MWMDecor/NoDecorHints

Remember, Close on button 2, Maximize on 4, Iconify on 6.

 In Netscape, if the MWM ones are set, and there is a hint for no mix or
max button, there is no close button.
 In cm, if OLDecor is set, no close button when there is no min or max
button.

> close.  "dtcm" transients do have a pull down menu for close.

Remember, old OLWM and OLVWM dont have "close" buttons. Its all off a
single pull down window menu. the cm transients do have a close in their
window ops pulldown.

> If you want the close button on all windows, tell  fvwm2 to ignore the

What if I want the decor hints, so that I dont get the icon and max
buttons on those windows that are hinted not to get them, but want the
close button.

> now the actual logic in the source code is hiding from me...

As another hunch, I reordered the buttons. Putting close on button 6,
iconify on button 2.
 Suddenly there is my close button. So I think the above may be where to
look. I also found a window with No Maximize set, but allowing iconify.
(netscape MWM hints) In this case, the Max and iconify buttons were noth
gone, which would make sense. Maximize on button 4 being "hinted out"
would prevent button 2 from being drawn.

> Please report the application, your Motif settings in your .fvwm2rc

Xterm

Style "*" MWMButtons

Maximize button does not stay sunk when window is maximized.

Yes, the MWMDecorMax is set for that button.

---

From: Tak <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 15:47:39 -0800

> viewport changes to that page.

I use this dragging between pager windows extensively and have noticed the
behavior Andrew mentions as well. It started when I upgraded from 2.1.7 to
2.1.10.

I used to be able to re-arrange my desktop "off-screen" (ie: I'm on page 1.
My pager shows an xterm on page2, I could drag the xterm to page3 without
moving my viewport from page1).  I miss this feature. ;)

-tak