Subject: FVWM: Feature requests

From: "Sullivan N. Beck" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 12:43:24 -0500

There are a couple features that I'd like to see in fvwm and was wondering if
they were planned:

1)  I use the FvwmIconMan a lot, and one thing that I'd really like to be able
to do is place my cursor in one of the bars and then be able to type and have
the keystrokes go to the window (not necessarily on this screen).  In order to
do this, I'd need a function similar to Focus but which did NOT switch to that
screen.

As an example, I could use this to control my CD player (xmcd) from a different
page without first jumping to the page it was on.

I thought I'd give this one a shot and I created a new function (FocusRemote)
which calls the focus_remote_func (identical to focus_func except it calls
FocusOn_NoMove instead of FocusOn -- same arguments).  Then, I wrote the
FocusOn_NoMove function (basically FocusOn without any moving/raising/etc.):

void FocusOn_NoMove(FvwmWindow *t,Bool FocusByMouse)
{
  if(t == (FvwmWindow *)0)
    return;

  UngrabEm();
  SetFocus(t->w,t,FocusByMouse);
}

I thought it would be that simple... but it turns out that there are a number
of problems with it.  I'm not at all familiar with the fvwm source code (today
is the first time I've looked at it)... but if I'm missing something simple,
please let me know.

2)  I'd really like to see the geometry always be relative to the upper left
hand corner of the desktop... NOT page.  For example, I always have Netscape in
(1,1) page.  In order to have it pop up in the right screen, I have to go back
to the (0,0) page before I can run it, otherwise, it will not appear in the
corect screen.

The StartsOnPage function does this great... except that now, I have to modify
my fvwm2rc file every time I want to add a new X client.  I have to create a
special style for it.  I am willing to do this to get the setup I want... but
it doesn't seem to me that the fvwm2rc file is the correct place to be defining
all my clients.

The ideal solution (which is of course impossible) would be for every X client
to accept a geometry and page.  That won't happen, but being able to specify a
geometry relative to the (0,0) page is the next best thing (IMO).

Perhaps the most important problem is that I like to switch back and forth
between window managers (mainly to test them since I'm in charge of installing
software).  Other virtual window managers tend not to use the page concept
(instead, they're just a screen looking at one portion of the whole very large
screen) so geometries are relative to the upper left corner.  So, using the
-geometry option, I can make a list of clients work in all window manager
(except fvwm... unless I'm in the (0,0) page).  There are ways to get around
this... but none are very elegant.

Anyway, just hoping.  Perhaps a compile time option to specify which behavior
to use?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sullivan Beck                      http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~sbeck/
 [email-masked]  | This space reserved for some saying demonstrating great
 PH : (352) 392-1057 | wisdom, wit, or insight.  I'll fill it in just as soon
 Fax: (352) 392-1220 | as I have any of the above.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Pete Forman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 08:01:29 GMT

Sullivan N. Beck writes:
 > The ideal solution (which is of course impossible) would be for
 > every X client to accept a geometry and page.

I'm still on 2.0.46 which allows clients to specify something like
-xrm '*Desk:2' on their command line.  Hopefully 2.1.x has a
corresponding Page resource.  That might allow FVWM to do the right
thing for you whilst being ignored by the other window managers.
-- 
Pete Forman
Western Geophysical
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Sam Krishnabhat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 00:42:39 -0800 (PST)

> thing for you whilst being ignored by the other window managers.

I use like this to start an application in a particular window.

Style "xconsole"    NoTitle, WindowListSkip, ClickToFocus, StartIconic, StartsOnPage 0 2 2
See the man page for fvwm2 to see the details.

You can also explore this "GotoPage 1 0". You may be able to find desk
specific stuff also.

-sam

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 06:30:26 -0500 (EST)

> thing for you whilst being ignored by the other window managers.

	Yes, it does.

- Bob