Subject: FVWM: Saving Popup values to use in command

From: paul d novak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 20:10:58 -0600

I'm new to fvwm; be gentle with me :-)

I have two questions that I haven't been able to figure out after 
checking various sources, so I thought I'd try this mail list.

First an easy one:

	- How can I increase the size of my Popup menus and the
	  text in them?

I think I have to change some Font, but I sure can't figure out how.

Second:

I'd like to be able to nest Popup menus, and then based on all
of the selections, determine what command to execute.

For example, suppose I have 3 different logins (curly, moe, larry)
on 3 different machines (apple, grape, orange).  I'd like to be
able to nest two Popups so that I can select the login I wish to use, 
and then the machine, and once the machine is select, magically
use the value that was selected in the login Popup.

I'd like to be able to do this:

	AddToMenu	LOGIN	"login:"	Title
	+ curly		Popup	Machine
	+ moe		Popup 	Machine
	+ larry		Popup	Machine

	AddToMenu	MACHINE	"Machine:"	Title
	+ apple		Exec exec xterm -e rlogin -l ?login? ?machine? 
	+ grape 	Exec exec xterm -e rlogin -l ?login? ?machine? 
	+ orange	Exec exec xterm -e rlogin -l ?login? ?machine? 

Can I get the values of ?machine? and ?login? that I selected from the Popups
somehow and use them in the command I want to execute?

In the real world, I have a need to nest several more layers of
information.  I know I could 'store' the information myself by 
creating a different popup for each combination, but before I use that
brute force solution, I thought I'd check with the experts to
see what's recommended.

Thanks!

Paul Novak
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 27 Feb 1999 21:17:10 -0500

%% paul d novak <[email-masked]> writes:

  pdn> 	- How can I increase the size of my Popup menus and the
  pdn> 	  text in them?

  pdn> I think I have to change some Font, but I sure can't figure out how.

Menus are sized large enough to contain the selections in them; I don't
think there's any way to make them larger without changing the text
size.

You can change the font of popups, and all menus, with the MenuStyle
option, like this:

  MenuStyle * Font -some-larger-font-

  pdn> I'd like to be able to nest Popup menus, and then based on all
  pdn> of the selections, determine what command to execute.

  pdn> For example, suppose I have 3 different logins (curly, moe, larry)
  pdn> on 3 different machines (apple, grape, orange).  I'd like to be
  pdn> able to nest two Popups so that I can select the login I wish to use, 
  pdn> and then the machine, and once the machine is select, magically
  pdn> use the value that was selected in the login Popup.

I don't think you can do this; maybe someone else has ideas?

Anyway, I normally handle this with FvwmForm, myself; I create a form
with the options, etc. then invoke rterm with the right arguments based
on what the user selected in the form.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].