Subject: FVWM: MultiHeaded

From: Jon Anhold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 12:29:25 -0500

Is there work in progress to make fvwm2 work reasonably with multi-headed
displays?

ie. one process for both, drag across displays, .rcfile hooks for
per-display configurations (so my FvwmButtons only comes up on one
display)?

-j

-- 
"How could this be a problem in a country where we have Intel
and Microsoft?" -- Al Gore, regarding Y2K. guh.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Danny Dulai <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 13:56:51 -0500

> per-display configurations (so my FvwmButtons only comes up on one

Dragging across screens in a multihead environment as far as I know is a
limitation of the X server, not FVWM. You might consder switching to a
virtual screen X server isntead of a multiple screen X server. XiG
(www.xig.com) used to provide this.. their current multihead server they
advertise is multi screen tho, not virtual screen.

At work I run a setup where I run NT with 4 montiors. NT provides a good
vritual screen. I run X off a Solaris machine sitting right next to it,
using Exceed.

Gives me a full screen, 4 montior, virtual screen X.

-- 
___________________________________________________________________________
Danny Dulai                                           Feet. Pumice. Lotion.
http://www.ishiboo.com/~nirva/                            [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jon Anhold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 13:58:11 -0500

This is not an issue with the X server. I run Sun's X server on an ultra 1
running Solaris 2.6. olwm can do it fine. fvwm2 can't.

-j

---

From: Danny Dulai <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 14:08:26 -0500

> running Solaris 2.6. olwm can do it fine. fvwm2 can't.

with olvwm, can you have a window half on one side and half on the other?

---

From: Philip Hallstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 13:18:03 -0800 (PST)

> with olvwm, can you have a window half on one side and half on the other?

I ran olvwm 4 + patches, and 2.5.1 and you couldn't do this.  Never tried
it with 2.6.  I remember reading that it was a function of the X server
*and* the window manager though...

adding my 2 cents.

-philip

---

From: Danny Dulai <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 14:28:27 -0500

> *and* the window manager though...

I just tried running olvwm, and no luck.. can't get windows to be half and
half, or move them from montior to montior.

As i stated earlier, it works fine with fvwm if the X server doesnt create
a new screen for every montior (first display is :0.0, next is :0.1, next
is :0.2, etc...)

Btw, how do you find the version number of olvwm? What patches did you have
installed?