Subject: RE: FVWM: 8 bit vs. 24 bit autoselect?

From: "Nagle, Adrian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 07:23:35 -0700

> The question is - is 2.1.x able to query the X server to start in 24 bit
> mode, or is there a quick change that can be made in the code to make it
> default to 24 bit? Any chance of a feature being added here?
> 
Try starting X with "startx -bpp 24".  If you have 24bit screens defined in
you XF86Config file, this should work.

Adrian
-- 
Adrian Nagle             Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp.
Thermal Engineer                               P.O. Box 1062
TEL: 303-939-6518                    Boulder, CO  80306-1062
FAX: 303-939-5166               http://www.ballaerospace.com

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 17:54:13 +0100

> you XF86Config file, this should work.

Umm.. he's already running with a 24 bit visual, but 8 bit as _default_
visual.. And Solaris' Xserver doesn't care much for XFree86 specific
options or config-files...

The question was how to make fvwm pick the 24bpp visual instead of the
8bpp [default] visual..

/Tomas
-- 
Tomas Ögren, [email-masked], http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student of Computer Science at the University of Umeå
`- Sysadmin at {ing,acc}.umu.se
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Steve Swamp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 19:53:27 -0500

> The question was how to make fvwm pick the 24bpp visual instead of the

That's right. I'm running both 8 and 24, but the 8 is the default. And I can't
run 24 as the default, because it breaks older applications (believe me, we've
tried). So that's why I need fvwm to start with 24. An Xresources option would be
nice, or just some code to autoselect.

Maybe it's time for me to remember how to code.... Geez, that's a scary thought.

Steve

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:02:16 +0000

> nice, or just some code to autoselect.
It would have to be a command line option. Fvwm doesn't do Xresources
and auto selecting a non-defualt would probably cause problems for most
users. I counted a total of 33 CopyFromParent's in fvwm source and some
of these are probably what would need changing. It would be good too if
the modules could be told of the visual to use, that would mean a change
to the module protocol and recoding all the modules.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:15:54 +0000

> It would be good too if

Doh, Might be best for fvwm to set an env var $FVWM_VISUAL rather than
mess with the message protocol.

Chers,
Tim.