Subject: FVWM: Fvwm2: 2.1.7 & a question.

From: awol <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 01:45:12 -0600

This is the first time I've written to this mail list, so I'd like to
begin by thanking EVERYONE who's contributed to make Fvwm2 "The Best"
window manager available that I've been able to find. And I've tried as
many as I could. Fvwm2 is the ONLY win manager that's practical on my
old 486dx33 linux box! It's relatively fast, lean and easy to use!

That having been said, I'd also like to say I've been mainly running
2.0.43b but recently upgraded to 2.1.4 then 2.1.5, and now 2.1.7!
Beautiful! It all works!
No problems so far that couldn't be sorted out by modifying the syntax
of the .rc  except that DestroyModuleConfig doesn't seem to work for
FvwmButtons but DOES for FvwmButt*, and DOESN'T for FvwmEven* but DOES
for FvwmEv*.  Go figure!
I 'especially' like the new MenuStyle options and discovered by accident
how to set WindowList a new font style!
My question is this....
I've played about with various cursor styles... and an animated cursor
proggy I found somewhere.... but nowhere in any of the documentation
I've read, is there a mention of root window context! The man page
refers to the cursor in windows and/or decorations, but I need to
restore the normal "X" cursor and nothing I've tried works except
restarting fvwm2.  :( There's probably a 'trick' to it I don't
understand.

Alex Wallis

--
[email-masked] or...http://awol.mtx.net.au
but usually on EFNET IRC.... but I'm pretty much awol there as well...
awol shrugs...."If all you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:34:55 -0500

> FvwmButtons but DOES for FvwmButt*, and DOESN'T for FvwmEven* but DOES

"DestroyModuleConfig FvwmButtons*" would also work.  This is the
way the command is meant to be used.

> restarting fvwm2.  :( There's probably a 'trick' to it I don't

As  you have found,  fvwm  does not control    the cursor on the  root
window.  This lets programs like "xaniroc" do their thing.

Somehow, I have a feeling I am missing the point you are trying to
make, I don't understand 'restore the normal "X" cursor'.
If you started a cursor animation program, you would have to stop
it to get back the the normal "X" cursor on the root window.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 00:30:57 -0500 (EST)

> restarting fvwm2.  :( There's probably a 'trick' to it I don't

	Changing the root window cursor is really external to FVWM.
You can do it with xsetroot. Here's an example snipped from my 
.fvwm2rc (the cursor names are found in cursorfont.h, wherever fine
X headers are sold):

AddToMenu  SetCursor "Set Root Cursor"   Title
+          "Default X"         Exec exec xsetroot -cursor_name X_cursor
+          "Sailboat"          Exec exec xsetroot -cursor_name sailboat
+          "Bogosity"          Exec exec xsetroot -cursor_name bogosity
+          "Left Pointer"      Exec exec xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr
+          "Iron Cross"        Exec exec xsetroot -cursor_name iron_cross
+          "Star"              Exec exec xsetroot -cursor_name star
+          "Shuttle"           Exec exec xsetroot -cursor_name shuttle
+          "Draped Box"        Exec exec xsetroot -cursor_name draped_box
+          "Gumby"             Exec exec xsetroot -cursor_name gumby

- Bob