Subject: FVWM: Re: system wide system.fvwm2rc under Red Hat Linux

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 00:26:22 -0330 (NST)

Hello,

Here is how one can implement a custom wide system.fvwm2rc file without
having to put dotfiles in a user's home directory. The following only
applies to users starting fvwm2 under a Red Hat Linux 5.0 system (or above).
It will work for both users starting Fvwm2 with xinit (aka startx) in runlevel
3 as well as for users starting Fvwm2 with xdm in runlevel 5.
The runlevel is determined by the first uncommented line of the /etc/inittab
file:

----- begin /etc/inittab snippet ---------------------------------------------
#
# inittab       This file describes how the INIT process should set up
#               the system in a certain run-level.
#
# Author:       Miquel van Smoorenburg, <[email-masked]>
#               Modified for RHS Linux by Marc Ewing and Donnie Barnes
#

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
#id:3:initdefault:
id:5:initdefault:
----- end /etc/inittab snippet -----------------------------------------------

So, here is how you do it:

Step 1)

Place your new configuration file under /etc/X11/fvwm2 as:

/etc/X11/fvwm2/system.fvwm2rc

Step 2)

mv /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients.old

Step 3)

Use the following file as the new /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients file snipping
the parts containing dashes (-).

----- begin /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients ------------------------------------
#!/bin/bash

########################################################################
# -*- sh -*-                                                           #
#                                                                      #
# ~/.Xclients: used by startx (xinit) to start up a window manager and #
# any other clients you always want to start an X session with.        #
#                                                                      #
# feel free to edit this file to suit your needs.                      #
########################################################################

exec fvwm2 -f /etc/X11/fvwm2/system.fvwm2rc

----- end /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients --------------------------------------

Step 4)

If this still doesn't work then it may be because you may have a

".wm_config" file in your home directory. Delete it and try again.

Step 5)

Reboot your system and good luck!!!

Best Regards,

Neil
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 07:26:26 +0100

On Sat, Jan 02, 1999 at 12:26:22AM -0330, [email-masked] wrote:
>...

But nobody will be able to use his private .fvwm2rc in his homedirectory
then. You have to find out the default path for this file and just start
fvwm2 without the -f option. Try 'strace -eopen fvwm2' as I mentioned
before.

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 19:13:57 -0500

> ----- begin /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients ------------------------------------

Neil,

  I'm glad this solved your problem.

  This does seem to be a fairly complicated solution to something thats
pretty straight forward with fvwm2 as I know it.

  Using fvwm 2.1.x installed with a prefix of /usr/local, if fvwm2 is
started with no arguments at all, fvwm2 will first attempt to read
$HOME/.fvwm2rc.  If that file is not found, it will then attempt
to read /usr/local/etc/.fvwm2rc.

  The "etc" part is the "sysconfdir" that you can set as you like at
configure time.

  So if you don't want each user to have to create his own .fvwm2rc
file, I believe the simplest answer is, just put the .fvwm2rc file
in "sysconfdir".

  Sorry I couldn't get it together to answer this question before now,
but I am just recovering from the flu.  (What a lousy way to spend the
holidays.)

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].