Subject: FVWM: fvwm 2.1.7 on solaris

From: "Arun Kumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 14:31:31 -0500

Hi,
 I am trying to build fvwm on solaris 2.7 and somehow it appears to me that 
the built is not complete. The "make install" does not copy sample.fvwmrc and 
other modules to proper directories. I tried to go to sample.fvwmrc directory 
and looked at Makefile and found that

NORMAL_INSTALL = :

and hence make install does not do anything.
Anyone has come across this? What am I missing? Any feedback will be 
appreciated. Please respond directly to [email-masked].

Thanks
Arun

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 11 Jan 1999 14:53:03 -0500

%% "Arun Kumar" <[email-masked]> writes:

  ak> I am trying to build fvwm on solaris 2.7 and somehow it appears to
  ak> me that the built is not complete.

Please address issues with the beta tests to the fvwm-workers list,
thanks...

  ak> The "make install" does not copy sample.fvwmrc and other modules
  ak> to proper directories.

Define "proper directories"?  Note that modules install into a
completely different directory structure starting with the 2.1.x series,
which uses GNU autoconf with all that implies about directory structure,
from the 2.0.x series.

You should unset the ModulePath setting in your config file and allow it
to use the default.  If you need to reset ModulePath (add stuff to it,
for example), use the environment variable $FVWM_MODULEDIR to insert the
default path into the ModulePath setting where you want it.

If you think the modules didn't install at all, we'll need to see a
transcript of the "make install" command you invoked and what it
printed.

  ak> I tried to go to sample.fvwmrc directory and looked at Makefile
  ak> and found that

  ak> NORMAL_INSTALL = :

  ak> and hence make install does not do anything.

Yes, I don't believe the new installation installs any of the system
config files by default.  Not really sure what the right thing is, here.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].