Subject: Re: FVWM: hard question: fvwm2 and Red Hat (5.0 and above)

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 12:04:50 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, Neil Zanella wrote:

> So, how do I have fvwm2 read the system.fvwm2rc that *I* create so that
> 
> all users use that very file???
> 
> I *do not* want to place a .fvwm2rc file in *every* single user's directory.
> 
> If you know the solution to this problem then please write back,

You need to find out how the binary was compiled for your system. fvwm2
expects to find the system.fvwm2rc file in a certain place (last I
compiled 2.0.46 it was something like /usr/X11/lib/fvwm2 or something like
that) and THAT is where the file needs to be.

See if you can find out how the package was compiled on your system, or
simply recompile the latest version yourself. The homepage address for
fvwm2 is at the end of this email.
			-peace

--- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK ------------+-----------
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) | "In the morning glad I see
P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K? w++++  |  My foe outstrech'd beneath the tree."
O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5   |               -The Poison Tree
X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>*  h*(!) r-  |                William Blake
y*(+) ------ END GEEK CODE BLOCK -----+

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 19:30:03 -0500

Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]> writes:
> > I *do not* want to place a .fvwm2rc file in *every* single user's directory

To    my knowledge, fvwm2 does  not   attempt to  read    a file named
"system.fvwm2rc".

It simply gives itself the command "read .fvwm2rc" during startup.

The "read" command first looks in $HOME, if no file is found there, it
then looks in the system configuration directory.

The actual  name of  the  system configuration   directory used  to be
specified in the "Fvwm.tmpl"  file.  With our newer  "configure" based
installation process, its the "sysconfdir".

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Trent Piepho <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 17:48:10 -0800 (PST)

> To    my knowledge, fvwm2 does  not   attempt to  read    a file named

This is what the fvwm 2.0.46 comes as part of redhat 5.2 tries to do on
startup:

open(".fvwm2rc", O_RDONLY)              = -1 ENOENT 
open("/home/xyzzy/.fvwm2rc", O_RDONLY)  = -1 ENOENT 
open("/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm2/.fvwm2rc", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT
open("system.fvwm2rc", O_RDONLY)        = -1 ENOENT
open("/home/xyzzy/system.fvwm2rc", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT
open("/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm2/system.fvwm2rc", O_RDONLY) = 5

So it looks in the current dir, $HOME, and the sysconfdir, first for .fvwm2rc
and then for system.fvwm2rc.

This is what fvwm 2.1.6 does with no paticular options used at configure time:

open(".fvwm2rc", O_RDONLY|0x8000)       = -1 ENOENT
open("/home/xyzzy/.fvwm2rc", O_RDONLY|0x8000) = -1 ENOENT
open("/usr/local/etc/.fvwm2rc", O_RDONLY|0x8000) = -1 ENOENT
open("system.fvwm2rc", O_RDONLY|0x8000) = -1 ENOENT
open("/home/xyzzy/system.fvwm2rc", O_RDONLY|0x8000) = -1 ENOENT
open("/usr/local/etc/system.fvwm2rc", O_RDONLY|0x8000) = -1 ENOENT

So basiclly the same thing, except the sysconfdir has changed from
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm2 to /usr/local/etc

I seem to remember the system config going in X11 lib directory from way back,
pre-fvwm2, so the move to etc is probably a recent change.