Subject: FVWM: Permissions error...

From: "Nagle, Adrian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 07:25:50 -0700

I've recently installed the latest XFREE86 server.  I think I've finally
have everything installed with two problems left.

Everything was installed with only root permissions so the server was
working fine in root, but not in my user account.  So I "chmod -R 755 *" in
the /usr/X11R6 directory.  I think I had my user account working, briefly
and mucked around.  Now I get an error:

[BEGIN ERROR]
XFree86 Version 3.3.3 / X Window System
(protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6300)
Release Date: November 16 1998
	If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is newer
	than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
	problems.  (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Linux 2.0.35 i686 [ELF] 
Configured drivers:
  SVGA: server for SVGA graphics adaptors (Patchlevel 0):
      NV1, STG2000, RIVA128, RIVATNT, ET4000, ET4000W32, ET4000W32i,
      ET4000W32i_rev_b, ET4000W32i_rev_c, ET4000W32p, 
[...LONG LIST...]
      ct64300, mediagx, V1000, V2x00, p9100, spc8110, generic

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Server must be running with root permissions
You should be using Xwrapper to start the server or xdm.
We strongly advise against making the server SUID root!

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
giving up.
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
[END ERROR]

It seams I screwed up a permissions somewhere.  Incidentally, when
installing such things, what permissions do you folks set the installation
to?  Was "chmod -R 755 *" the wrong approach?

The other problem is what the default server is.  I want to use the
accelerated server at 1280x1024 resolution, but I can't find out how to do
that.  I'm guessing it's using the VGA server at a very large resolution?
But I have /usr/X11R6/X -> XFREE86_SVGA for my S3 ViRGE/VX card.  ctrl-alt-+
doesn't do anything either.

Thanks for everyone's help.  It seams I didn't understand my initial X setup
as I thought I did.

Adrian
-- 
Adrian Nagle             Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp.
Thermal Engineer                               P.O. Box 1062
TEL: 303-939-6518                    Boulder, CO  80306-1062
FAX: 303-939-5166               http://www.ballaerospace.com

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 07:15:29 -0500 (EST)

> and mucked around.  Now I get an error:

ack! it seems to me that you recursively set permissions to 755 on
binaries that had (and needed) their suid bits set (effectively removing
them). You need to find out which binaries in that directory need to be
u+s
			-peace

> Thanks for everyone's help.  It seams I didn't understand my initial X setup

--- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK ------------+-----------
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) | "In the morning glad I see
P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K? w++++  |  My foe outstrech'd beneath the tree."
O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5   |               -The Poison Tree
X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>*  h*(!) r-  |                William Blake
y*(+) ------ END GEEK CODE BLOCK -----+

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 17:08:50 +0100

On Mon, Jan 04, 1999 at 07:25:50AM -0700, Nagle, Adrian wrote:
> the /usr/X11R6 directory.

Oh my god, did you really do that? That means you have nuked the
permissions of *all* files and directories below /usr/X11R6 and
that are quite a lot. Just to give you an idea: On my system
there are 10808 files/directories there that don't have 755
as their permissions. I hope you have a good distribution since
you probably won't get your system running smoothly again without
reinstalling all packages that have something to do with X11 (i.e.
X itself and all X based applications).

> We strongly advise against making the server SUID root!

chmod 4755 /usr/X11R6/bin/Xwrapper

You may need this too:

chmod 2755 /usr/X11R6/bin/xlock

> to?

Every file has its own permissions. You can't just put the same
permissions on every file. Or do you think setting the executable
bit would make a picture run like a program? You'll probably have
screwed up a few SUID or SGID bits.

> Was "chmod -R 755 *" the wrong approach?

Absolutely.

> doesn't do anything either.

You need to run xf86config or perhaps some other fancy tool that
came with your distribution. There you can specify all the resolutions
you want to use.

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]