Subject: FVWM: windows and menu keys on standard 104-key keyboards

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:36:47 -0330 (NST)

Hello,

Is it possible to bind an action to a "windows" or "menu" key like
those that comes with standard 104-key keyboards (these keys are not
found on traditional Unix keyboards).

Thanks,

Neil Zanella
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Eric Ding <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Jan 1999 13:24:43 -0500

>>>>> Neil Zanella <[email-masked]> writes:

> found on traditional Unix keyboards).

Sure!  Just use your .xmodmaprc file and run it through xmodmap in your
~/.xinitrc or equivalent file, i.e.,

	xmodmap -e ~/.xmodmaprc

where .xmodmaprc has something like this:

! Assign left Win95 key to L5 (Raise/Lower in fvwm2)
keycode 115 = L5
! Assign right Win95 key to Compose Character
keycode 116 = Multi_key
! Assign right "menu" key to L7 (Iconify in fvwm2)
keycode 117 = L7

In my example, you can then assign L5/L7 to actions in your .fvwm2rc file.

Eric
-- 
Senior Software Engineer / [email-masked]               <><
Applix, Inc. / 112 Turnpike Road / Westboro MA 01581-2842

---

From: Alan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:51:28 -0500

This may be solution but I have not tried it completely, so I can't say it
works for sure.

Using xev you can find the keycode that corresponds to pressing the "windows"
or "menu" key(s). You can then use xmodmap to map that key to some other
keypress, an unused function key, for example. 

If you have trouble doing the xmodmap by hand, xkeycaps is a useful tool
for generating maps to be used by xmodmap. The latest version of xkeycaps is
available at http://www.jwz.org/xkeycaps/. 

You can then edit your .fvwmrc to map the (function) key to the desired
behavior. 

For example, xev tells me my "menu" key generates keycode 126. My .xmodmap
file contains the line:

keycode 0x7E =  Control_L

(Note 126 (decimal) equals 0x7E (hex)). 

Hope this helps.
Alan