Subject: FVWM: WindowList bug?

From: TG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 12:29:38 +0100

I have the following line somewhere in my fvwmrc file:

Mouse 2         R       A       WindowList NoGeometry NoDeskSort
Transient

Each time I pop up some window, WindowList shows it apart from the rest,
just like it is placed on a different desk. Only after it has had the
focus, WindowList moves the entry to the right group in it's menu.

I had it in 2.1.7, and it seems it hasn't changed in 2.1.10. A bug or is
there some good reason to work like that?

Off topic: Is it much work to be Gnome aware in fvwm2? I know there are
other people working on it but their development isn't going fast and if
you include MWM hints, why not Gnome? This is not a blame at all,
because for the time being, fvwm2 is still my favorite WM, it would just
be even wonderful if that got incorporated.

Kind greetings,

Wing Tung

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:50:01 +0000

> focus, WindowList moves the entry to the right group in it's menu.

Using both NoGeometry and NoDeskSort may lead to confusion.  I put the
separators in to show different desks but using NoGeometry means you
can't tell what desk a window is in so the separators look arbitrary.
Using NoDeskSort means you get the windowlist in the order that fvwm
maintains it. New windows are added to the end of the list and the
currently focussed window is at the start of the list.  You're right it
does look a bit odd if you have NoGeometry. I'll add a bug report (it
won't be fixed before 2.2).  Try not using NoGeometry and it might be
clearer. This did change recently, it was so we could have reliable
alt-tab behaviour.

> be even wonderful if that got incorporated.

The Gnome hints will probably make it in some time after 2.2. They are
not very well documented and are probably subject to change. There is no
point chasing a headless chicken ;-)

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 26 Jan 1999 10:43:23 -0500

%% TG <[email-masked]> writes:

  t> Off topic: Is it much work to be Gnome aware in fvwm2? I know there
  t> are other people working on it but their development isn't going
  t> fast and if you include MWM hints, why not Gnome? This is not a
  t> blame at all, because for the time being, fvwm2 is still my
  t> favorite WM, it would just be even wonderful if that got
  t> incorporated.

Someone associated with the GNOME group is doing this now.  His patches
will be incorporated sometime post-2.2.

In the meantime you could probably contact him and get the patches when
he's ready to release them; he'd probably like to have someone test them
out.

Check the email archives for more details.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].