Subject: FVWM: focus probs w/ closing windows

From: Jeffery Chow <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 01:39:11 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I just installed fvwm2.1.5, and am having problems.
Whenever a window with focus is closed, the mouse changes from 
the standard icon (whatever the client defined) or the standard
X (if the mouse is in the root window) to the round 'selection' cursor
that fvwm uses to pick a window. I've scoured the manpage but I can't seem
to find anything that would change this behaviour. 

Has anyone seen this before?
I'd post my .fvwm2rc but I don't even know the relevant parts...

Jeff

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Lee Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Jan 1999 10:01:18 +0000

> to find anything that would change this behaviour. 

Any particular reason that you need to change the behaviour?  I wouldn't
call it a bug (Personally) since it's an indication that no window
currently has input focus (I think ... it's a bit early for me to be
sure!).  Personally I never see it (Due to my focus settings, with focus
following the mouse and sloppy focus ...)

However I'm still on 2.0.46 so things may have changed ...

Is this just a question of aesthetics or would you like the actual
*behaviour* to change in which case how would you like things to work?

Lee.
-- 
I was doing object-oriented assembly at 1 year old ...  
For some reason my mom insists on calling it "Playing with blocks"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 11:05:31 +0100

> I'd post my .fvwm2rc but I don't even know the relevant parts...

The Style commands are the interesting parts. Can you give
us a step-by-step description how to reproduce this?

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Pannala Syam Sundar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 18:26:56 +0530

> Has anyone seen this before?

	I had the same problem. The source of the problem was the 
following line.

AddToFunc "InitFunction" "I"
+               "I" Module FvwmPager 0 0
+               "I"     Module FvwmAuto 50 raise lower
						^^^^^^^
The FvwmAuto man page says that leavecommand will executed after the
timeout. If window with focus is closed, then it loses focus and hence the
lower command will not have an argument. Hence it asks you to supply one
(by changing the shape of pointer). I removed lower and the problem
disappered.

Though it works, am i right about the explanation ?

HTH,
syam

PS :- 
<wild speculation with no knowledge> 
What is going wrong, is fvwm giving FvwmAuto incomplete information or is
FvwmAuto mucking up? the leavecommand should probably not be exeuted when
window loses focus because of death.
</wild speculation with no knowledge> 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 13:59:27 +0000

> Though it works, am i right about the explanation ?

Yes, you are. The FvwmAuto line is nonsense.  Both Raise and Lower
operate on the window with focus.  If there isn't a focus window Fvwm
will display the dot prompt and wait for you to select a window. The
FvwmAuto line will do the Raising OK provided you don't lose focus
within 50ms of entering but will absolutely not lower the window that
just lost focus.  What probably happens is that when moving from one
window to another the leave event happens before the enter event and
both happen to the window that is the focus window. This gives a lower
then raise so you may not notice the lower.

You can't get fvwm to lower the window you just left but you may be able
to do it with a FvwmCommand script or with FvwmScript.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Mark Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 12:48:58 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999 01:39:11 -0800 (PST), Jeffery Chow <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I just installed fvwm2.1.5, and am having problems. Whenever a
> window with focus is closed, the mouse changes from the standard
> icon (whatever the client defined) or the standard X (if the mouse
> is in the root window) to the round 'selection' cursor that fvwm
> uses to pick a window. I've scoured the manpage but I can't seem to
> find anything that would change this behaviour.

> Has anyone seen this before? I'd post my .fvwm2rc but I don't even
> know the relevant parts...

Yes, but all I have to do is left click on ANYTHING and the cursor
returns to normal.  Not exactly a serious bug, but everything hangs
until I click that mouse button.

> timeout. If window with focus is closed, then it loses focus and
> hence the lower command will not have an argument. Hence it asks you
> to supply one (by changing the shape of pointer). I removed lower
> and the problem disappered.

Mine isn't like that at all and I still have the problem...

	AddToFunc "InitFunction" \
			"I" Module FvwmButtons
	+               "I" Module FvwmAuto 750
	+               "I" Module FvwmAnimate
	+		"I" Next [!iconic CurrentScreen xterm] Focus

_________  __ _____________________________________________________________
     __   / /\                             Help                            
    /  /\/ / /_                   support interoperability                 
   /  /  \/ / /\           please use non proprietary file formats         
  /  / /\ \ \/ / ----------------------------------------------------------
 /  /  \_\/\  /    Mark Crocker (Micron Technology Inc., Product Engineer)  
/__/ /\ \ \_\/   Business:         [email-masked]       (208) 368-3525 
\  \ \_\/        Personal:         [email-masked]       (208) 336-0541 
 \  \ \        	      Web:   http://netnow.micron.net/~mcrocker             
_ \__\/ ___________________________________________________________________
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Adam L Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 01:04:16 +0000

> +               "I"     Module FvwmAuto 50 raise lower

Wow, I've been mildly annoyed by this problem from time to time for ages
now, but it never occurred to me that it might be FvwmAuto that was causing
it. I'm just running FvwmAuto as

Module FvwmAuto 500

So it's not the optional arguments that are the cause of the problem. I'd
say it was a bug in FvwmAuto. It should be checking if the window still
exists before issuing the command on it.

-- 
Adam Rice -- [email-masked] -- Blackburn, Lancashire, England

---

From: "Jose' Manuel Pereira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 16:37:52 +0000 (WET)

"ALR" == Adam L Rice <[email-masked]> writes:
  ALR> (...) I'm just running FvwmAuto as

  ALR> Module FvwmAuto 500

  ALR> So it's not the optional arguments that are the cause of the problem.
  ALR> I'd say it was a bug in FvwmAuto. It should be checking if the window
  ALR> still exists before issuing the command on it.

But that is impossible by design: FvwmAuto is a module, so it runs
asynchronously to fvwm. The X server is also asynchronous to both, so Xlib
won't help.

This was discussed here (several times) in the past, since Rob Nation took
AutoRaise out of fvwm and put it in a module...

-- 
 Jose' Pereira				 		Tel. +351.1.841 9340
 DEEC - Dep. of Electrical and Computer Engineering	Fax. +351.1.841 7499
 Instituto Superior Tecnico - Technical University of Lisboa
 Av. Rovisco Pais - 1049-001 Lisboa - Portugal
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].