Subject: FVWM: Fvwm for Windows95?

From: Vikas Agnihotri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 19:03:45 -0500

Hello,

Is there a fvwm2.exe...a port of Fvwm2 to Windows95? If not, can I
simply use Cygwin to compile the source tarball on Windows95? Any
experiences appreciated.

I am running Netmanage Unixlink X server on my Windows95 PC and
running my Unix (Solaris 2.6) fvwm2 (2.0.46) over my 28.8 modem is
excruciatingly slow. So I was thinking that I could run fvwm2 locally
on my PC and reduce network traffic.

Thanks a bunch,
Vikas
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Vikas Agnihotri <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 10:08:40 -0500

On Fri, Jan 15, 1999 at 03:57:05AM +0000, Adam L Rice wrote:

> You'd need the X libraries as well. According to my system, fvwm links to
> libSM, libICE, libXext, and libX11, though I haven't verified that all of

Where would I get them from? Do I need to compile the X libraries from
scratch on Win95? Sigh...

> those are actually needed. Perhaps they come with Cygwin anyway; I don't
> know. Other than that, it might work, but I don't know what the performance
> would be like. Windows 95 isn't renouned for its multitasking, and X apps
> are context-switch intensive.

Well, my X server package (Netmanage UnixLink) came with a twm.exe
binary and it performs quite satisfactorily. Much better than running
a window manager on my Unix machine over my 28.8 modem where each
mouse click generates network traffic :(. Anyway, twm.exe is good
enough, but once you have tasted a virtual window manager, anything
else just aint the same! 

> As another poster suggested, installing a minimal Linux distribution
> is likely to be a lot less painful in the long run. You can even use
> the UMSDOS filesystem to avoid re-partitioning, although you pay in
> performance.

No. I have already installed the complete RH5.1 on a partition of my
disk last year, but my wife also needs the computer as much as I do.
And until they port Quicken, Word, Lotus Notes, Excel, Access, etc,
etc to Linux, I can see lots of reboots in my future. No thanks. Give
me a X server, a local window manager and I am a happy clam.

> Also, I haven't tried it myself, but look at low-bandwidth X (lbx)
> if you're not using it already. You should be able to find something
> about it on www.x.org.

Hm. Dunno anything about lbx, heard about it though. Thanks for the
tip.

Thanks,
Vikas