Subject: Re: FVWM: Re: system wide system.fvwm2rc under Red Hat Linux

From: "Jakob Ess" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 05:57:16 PST

Hi everyone,

The problem is probably, that Red Hat Linux 5.0 and 5.1 (I haven't tried 
5.2 yet) use a very complicated systemwide .xinitrc.  It tests a lot of 
configuration files to determine which window manager to use.  If you 
have chosen fvwm2 it will then fire up fvwm2 with a command line that 
causes it to read a specific system-wide configuration file through the 
M4 preprocessor.  The default configuration is split up in a large 
number of M4 files.  This *may* be very flexible, when/if you have 
figured out what is going on, but it makes it very difficult to get 
started modifying your setup.

I quickly discarded the default configuration by writing my own 
.Xclients (attached), which starts fvwm without funny arguments, and 
then I reused an old .fvwm2rc.  You may be able to replace the 
systemwide .xinitrc (or whatever it is called) with something similar.

Jakob

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com