Subject: FVWM: Compiling Error in fvwm2

From: Robert Kim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:58:18 -0800 (PST)

Unable to click anywhere in window to raise (w/o setting Click to Focus)
in fvwm1 is driving me nuts.  I guess this is possible in fvwm2.  But I'm
having trouble compiling fvwm-2.1.7 on my Linux machine. 

"./configure --with-cxx=gcc"  seemed to work ok.

But I get the following error afterwards:

$ make
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/download/fvwm/fvwm-2.1.7'
Making all in libs
make[2]: Entering directory `/root/download/fvwm/fvwm-2.1.7/libs'
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I..      -g -O2 -c ClientMsg.c
ClientMsg.c:14: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
ClientMsg.c:15: X11/Xatom.h: No such file or directory
ClientMsg.c:16: X11/Xutil.h: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [ClientMsg.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/download/fvwm/fvwm-2.1.7/libs'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/download/fvwm/fvwm-2.1.7'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

Am I missing some library?  Thanks for your help.

--------------------------------------

 Robert W. Kim
 e-mail: [email-masked]

--------------------------------------

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Teemu Hirsimaki <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:13:03 +0200 (EET)

> Am I missing some library?  Thanks for your help.

Try "locate Xatom.h".  Normally those files are in directory
"/usr/X11R6/include/X11/".  If you do not have those files, you have
not probably installed package for X-developement.  If you are using
Debian, the needed package is xlib6g-dev.  Other distributions
probably have a similar package.

-- 
Teemu Hirsimäki
[email-masked]

---

From: Robert Kim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 12:23:53 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for the advice, Teemu.  Installing the X-devel. package fix the
problem.  

One more question:

Why can't FVWM find the installed xpm libraries and headers during
./configure?

----------
I used the following command:

./configure --with-cxx=gcc --with-xpm-library=/usr/X11R6/lib 
--with-xpm-includes=/usr/X11R6/include

-----------
My xpm files are located in:

/usr/X11R6/bin/sxpm
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/xpm.h
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4.8

----------
I get the following configuration info:

...
...
creating extras/FvwmWharf/Makefile
creating config.h
config.h is unchanged
Configuration:

  FVWM Version:             2.1.10

  Build extra modules?      no
  Have ReadLine support?    no
  Have RPlay support?       no
  Have XPM support?         no: Xpm library or header not found!

---------

Thanks again.  I tried to guess the correct .configure command from
reading the INSTALL.FVWM file but no luck.

 Robert W. Kim

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Teemu Hirsimaki wrote:
...

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 15:29:10 -0500

> Why can't FVWM find the installed xpm libraries and headers during

Try removing the config.cache file.  It may be "remembering" a previously
failed attempt.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].