Subject: FVWM: Missing Feature!

From: Linus Nilsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:14:15 +0100

Hello all!

	I would like to suggest a new IconBox feature: AutoArrange.

This would work like in e.g. Window Maker. When a window is deiconified or
destroyed the iconfied windows would rearrange and move to fill the box
from where it "starts". This way icons in the IconBox would not end up
scattered all over after a while. 

I know that this is a feature a lot of people miss in fvwm*, even me myself
know a lot of people who have whined about it. It shouldn't be to hard to
implement either, IMHO, just scanning through the list of existing windows
each time a window is deiconified or destroyed and then rearrange the ones
that are still iconified.

Me myself don't feel competent enough to make a flawless patch and then keep
it up-to-date with the current /fast/ development, so I'm hoping one of the
developers read this and finds my suggestion reasonable. It would make fvwm2
/even/ more complete.

Thanks for listening. Your making a great job. Keep it up. /Linus Nilsson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 14:36:57 +0100

> developers read this and finds my suggestion reasonable. It would make fvwm2

Would you please enter this into our bug database (which keeps track
of enhancement requests too)? Just follow the links to the bug tracking
tool from our homepage ( http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/ ). If you feel
you can create such a patch you should do so. Don't worry about bugs,
we usually take a close look at patches before applying them. Although
no new patches will make it into 2.2 this is a particularly good time
to write this since we already had our 'feature freeze' for 2.2. Only
bugfixes will go in for a while so don't worry about the 'fast development'.
We have an *incredibly* long to do list after 2.2 already so writing
a patch yourself is the fastest way to get that feature.

BTW, keeping your patches up to date is almost trivial if you just
keep your sources up to date with CVS. It's not very likely that
someone will touch the icon box code at any moment.

> Your making a great job. Keep it up.

Thanks.

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]