Subject: FVWM: problem opening libXpm.so.4

From: "Andrew Griffin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 20:27:19 -0800

If this question is inappropriate for the list I apologize in advance.  That said. I recently attempted to install the most recent version of fvwm2 (I forget the version number, it is in beta).  The compile and install seemed to go fine but attempting to start Xwindows (v. 3.3.3.1) I've been getting the message that libXpm.so.3 could not be opened.  

I know that X will run ok on it's own, XF86Setup ran just fine as did xvidtune.  I've looked through all of the documentation I could find, but could find nothing that would help.  libXpm.so.3 is in my ld.so.conf file if that makes any difference.  I'm quite new to Linux so any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

btw, I'm running the most recent Slackware release of Linux.

-Andrew
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 15 Jan 1999 00:53:30 -0500

%% "Andrew Griffin" <[email-masked]> writes:

  ag> That said. I recently attempted to install the most recent version of
  ag> fvwm2 (I forget the version number, it is in beta).

All versions of fvwm2 so far have been in beta: it's important to know
the number (esp. if it's 2.0.x or 2.1.x) so we know if it's autoconf or
imake.

  ag> The compile and install seemed to go fine but attempting to start
  ag> Xwindows (v. 3.3.3.1) I've been getting the message that
  ag> libXpm.so.3 could not be opened.

It's always important to provide the exact error message wherever
possible.  Small differences in wording may not seem significant to the
casual reader, but can be very instructive to those familiar with them.

For instance are you sure it said libXpm.so.3?  Most libXpm versions
I've seen are 4.x, not 3.x.

Anyway, this is usually caused by not having the runtime application
linked properly.

The most useful tool for these problems is "ldd".

Run this:

  $ ldd /usr/local/bin/fvwm2

(or wherever you installed it).  This will list all the shared libs that
fvwm2 wants to find.  Probably you'll see something about not being able
to find libXpm.so.

If so, it's a link problem.  Try adding a --with-xpm-library option to
the configure invocation for fvwm (run make distclean first).  If that
doesn't help, try setting the environment var LD_RUN_PATH to the right
directory to find libXpm.so before making fvwm.

If you have an old version of fvwm which works, you can use ldd on that
to see where it's getting _it's_ libXpm.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].