Subject: FVWM: Another (vague-ish) suggestion

From: Kobus Retief <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 23:26:30 +0200

Hi

Firstly, sorry 'bout the multiple identical posts last time.  Had a bit
of a Netscape problem...  Thanks to Dominik Vogt; speedy service ;-)

This would, IMHO, be pretty tricky to implement.  It would be fun to be
able to resize the borders and handles individually (as in TOP, LEFT,
BOTTOMRIGHT, etc.), giving you the ability to emulate GNUStep-like
window managers with (say) the following:
	
	BorderStyle TOP Width 0
	BorderStyle LEFT Width 0
	BorderStyle RIGHT Width 0
	BorderStyle BOTTOM Width 10
	
	HandleStyle TOPLEFT Width 0
	HandleStyle TOPRIGHT Width 0
	HandleStyle BOTTOMLEFT Width 10
	HandleStyle BOTTOMRIGHT Width 10

With only the bottom border and bottom handles visible.  Admittedly,
this is far-fetched, and perhaps a bit of a major code rewrite this
close to the 2.2.0 release (I hope...;-)  Perhaps a "Style" option, to
customize individual windows?  All things considered, this may bloat
fvwm's size unacceptably, but it would make the window manager a _bit_
more customizable.

Anyway, if it's improbable (once you've eliminated the impossible,
whatever remains... Yeah, we got it), just ignore this.

Have a nice one
Koos
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Shannon Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 14:52:36 -0800

: This would, IMHO, be pretty tricky to implement.  It would be fun to be
: able to resize the borders and handles individually (as in TOP, LEFT,
: BOTTOMRIGHT, etc.), giving you the ability to emulate GNUStep-like
: window managers with (say) the following:

for that matter, it'd be cool if you could make the corner handles a different 
width than the side handles.

another cool thing would be to allow the title bar to sit on whatever side of 
the window you wanted it to, and perhaps even be a different width than the 
window, so you could have beOS style title "tabs".

just my $.02...

-- 
      Shannon Lee         =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- 
  Metro1 Systems Group   -=-  I looked Death in the face last night
   (503) . 671 . 1244    -=-  I saw him in a mirror, and he simply smiled
   [email-masked]    -=-  He told me not to worry,
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=   He told me just to take my time.
                                                       -Oingo Boingo
                                                        "We Close Our Eyes"