Subject: FVWM: Possible bug in WinListFunc (and a suggestion... :-)

From: Kobus Retief <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 00:19:21 +0200

Hi

The (possible) bug:

I'm currently running fvwm 2.1.7 on a (slightly modified)
Slackware Linux (kernel 2.2.0pre6, XFree86 3.3.3) system.
I've modified the WinListFunc as follows in my .fvwm2rc:

DestroyFunc WindowListFunc
AddToFunc WindowListFunc
+ "I"	WindowId $0 FlipFocus
+ "I"	WindowId $0 Raise
+ "I"	WindowId $0 WarpToWindow 0 0
+ "I"	WindowId $0 WarpToWindow 50 50

When I select a window from the WindowList builtin, everything
happens as planned (top left corner of window in top left corner
of screen, cursor in middle of window), but fvwm gives me the
window selection cursor (the one you get when [for instance] you 
tell fvwm to "maximize" and then have to select a window), and waits
for me to click before focusing the window.  This obviously shouldn't
happen, as I've stepped through this function using FvwmTalk, and
everything worked perfectly.

I don't _remember_ having this problem under fvwm 2.1.5 (with the same
.fvwm2rc, except for adding the new MenuStyle builtin).

The suggestion or two:

I use the side pixmap on menus (the one you get when you use
	
	AddToMenu "[email-masked]@%navyblue%"

), but find it rather awkward.  What would be pretty cool is
if you could have SidePixmap and SideColor (for instance) as 
MenuStyle options:

	MenuStyle "Utilities" SidePixmap utilities.xpm
	MenuStyle "Utilities" SideColor navyblue

Another thing (extension of the first suggestion) would be a 
"WindowList" MenuStyle, which would apply only to the WindowList
builtin menu, as it looks rather drab (in my eyes) without the
side pixmap:

	MenuStyle "WindowList" SidePixmap winlist.xpm
	MenuStyle "WindowList" SideColor green

This is a suggestion only; I can live without it if neccessary,
and I'm not going to figure out the source code to patch fvwm.
I'm just too lazy, I guess.

The Grand Finale:

That's it.
I'll find any replies (eventually) in the archives, or mail them
directly to me if you really feel like it ([email-masked]).

Cheers
Koos
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 19:49:53 +0100

> .fvwm2rc, except for adding the new MenuStyle builtin).

I've fixed this one before even sendin my previous mail :-)

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 19:57:26 +0100

> 	MenuStyle "Utilities" SideColor navyblue

Good input. Although you still might need the old syntax if
you want to be able to have a single menu look differently

> builtin menu, as it looks rather drab (in my eyes) without the

The WindowList always uses the '*' menu style. With above
enhancement you could give it the side pixmap via the default
style.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 21:20:14 +0100

> 	MenuStyle "Utilities" SideColor navyblue

Done.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 19:08:28 +0100

> .fvwm2rc, except for adding the new MenuStyle builtin).

But I'm sure you had. This was already in 2.0.46 and probably a
lot versions before that. The problem is that WindowId needs a
window to operate on and then ignores it completely.

To the folks on the workers list:

The problem lies in parse.h. WindowId is listed in the section with
functions that need a window. As are lots of other functions I don't
believe that should be there:

    F_SEND_STRING,
    F_ADD_MOD,
    F_DESTROY_MOD,
    F_ECHO,
    F_BORDERSTYLE,
    F_WINDOWID,
    F_ADD_BUTTON_STYLE,
    F_ADD_TITLE_STYLE,
    F_ADD_DECOR,
    F_DESTROY_DECOR,
    F_UPDATE_DECOR,
    F_COLOR_LIMIT,

At least these functions have the FUNC_NO_WINDOW attribute set in functions.c.
I think we shouldn't use column 3 in the functions table to check if a
function needs a window at all. Colums four should suffice. The big question
is: will fvwm continue to work if I change that now (complec.c)?

Bye

Dominik