Subject: FVWM: FVWM and Drag & Drop

From: "Douglas Straub" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:49:42 -0700

I was curious about support for D&D on fvwm2.  I saw that FvwmWharf supports
the OffiX protocol.   On the linux-announcements awhile ago there was an
announcement of the standardization of D&D on X.  I believe the
specification for the protocol is at http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~jafl/xdnd.

What's interesting about it is that the toolkits Gtk+,Qt, and most
importantly to me, Xemacs, will be supporting the protocol.  They have a
sample implementation that looks pretty easy to modify.

Does Fvwm have a D&D protocol?  Are there any plans to implement one?
Thanks,

Doug

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 22 Jan 1999 09:21:16 -0500

%% "Douglas Straub" <[email-masked]> writes:

  ds> What's interesting about it is that the toolkits Gtk+,Qt, and most
  ds> importantly to me, Xemacs, will be supporting the protocol.  They
  ds> have a sample implementation that looks pretty easy to modify.

  ds> Does Fvwm have a D&D protocol?  Are there any plans to implement one?

What would FVWM do with a D&D protocol?

If useful things can be done with it, I think that in the future FVWM
would be happy to support linking with Xdnd (I agree that appears to be
the forming basic standard protocol) if available.

The only place I can think it might be useful, offhand, is in some of
the modules like FvwmButtons or possibly FvwmPager.  It would be nice, I
suppose, if you could configure FvwmButtons to handle various types of
dropped items in different ways.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jim Nicholson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 18:11:41 -0500 (EST)

I can think of three additional module examples:

- it would be nice if you could install a handler for root window
  drops; perhaps this could be a module. Some might consider this 
  bloat...

- it would also be nice if FvwmIconMan would pass drop events to
  iconified applications (although I wonder if the proposed protocol
  would allow this..)

- It would be a neat hack for FvwmIconMan to support D&D between
  managers, in cases where there are multiple managers defined. This
  would allow dragging iconified windows from one manager to another,
  for example. 

Regarding FvwmWharf, is this being actively maintained by anyone? I've 
been using it since before 2.0.46, as I like the way it works. From
what I can see in 2.1.7, most of what I want in a Wharf can be done
with FvwmButtons, albeit with a different (and perhaps more difficult) 
configuration syntax. I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to get my 
Wharf reimplemented based on FvwmButtons.

If anyone out there has managed to successfully get FvwmWharf to work
with the OffiX D&D support compiled in, I'd appreciate it you would
email me (not the list) your *FvwmWharf section from .fvwm2rc. I can
get the module to compile with D&D turned on, but I get all kinds of
weird behavior when I actually use it.

Finally, and this is off-topic, can someone who understands the
concept explain to me (not the list) what it means for an application
to be "dockable" in the context of WindowMaker, and whether it is
feasible and/or desirable for either FvwmWharf, FvwmButtons, or
FvwmIconMan to support that same
concept/protocol/whatever-you-call-it?

- Jim
[email-masked]