Subject: FVWM: 2.1.6 FvwmCommand oddity

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 13:54:11 +0000

I've just posted my 'solution' for cm & clock not coming up correctly.
However, in the 2.1.6 I'm running, it doesn't work any more. I *think*
it's FvwmCommand, and not fvwm itself, but I've no easy way of telling.

  I'll explain a little more; I do the Bounce-Icon thang in my
RestartFunction as well as my script, and neither the FvwmCommand login
version nor the RestartFunction version work. In fact, if I:

  FvwmCommand 'Function Bounce-Icon clock'

  My cm opens! (and doesn't close)!

  Things get unfortunately worse ... I can

  FvwmCommand 'Next [cm] Iconify -1'

  ... and nothing happens.

  FvwmCommand 'Next [cm] Iconify 1'

  .. then makes the window vanish! If I recover it from the WinList it
opens & immediately iconifies.

  And to top it all, after a little of this (in fact, what I've just
listed above), for some bizarre reason double-click on my icons to
de-iconify them has ceased to work!? I just get get the Move operation.

  Should I stop using 2.1.6?

-- 
========================- http://www.rrds.co.uk/ -======================
 Neil Bird                   |   This is who we are     The time is near
                             |        There are 360 days remaining
 mailto:[email-masked] |                           [ T-153 days! ]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 18:16:52 +0100

>   FvwmCommand 'Next [cm] Iconify 1'

Name matching for Next/Prev/... is broken in 2.1.6. That is the
reason why 2.1.6 is no official beta but an alpha release.
 
Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Jan 1999 13:11:38 -0600

>>>>> "NB" == Neil Bird <[email-masked]> writes:

NB> However, in the 2.1.6 I'm running, it doesn't work any more. I *think*
NB> it's FvwmCommand, and not fvwm itself, but I've no easy way of telling.

Now you know why 2.1.6 is in the testing directory and no announcement was
ever made for it.

Folks, if you want to try out test releases, fine, but be prepared to join
the workers list and participate in development.  We knew 2.1.6 was borked
over a week ago, discussed it on fvwm-workers and decided not to release
it.  Worming around the server and downloading something from a directory
named "testing" is not the best way to pick up a bug-free release.

I've added a warning to this effect on the FTP server.

 - J<

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 08:44:09 +0000

> Now you know why 2.1.6 is in the testing directory and no announcement was

  OK, I'll shut up now, and go and hide in a hole ...