Subject: Re: FVWM: Mouse bindings broken in 2.1.7?

From: Chris Siebenmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 19:53:14 -0500

| >   So what do you recommend people use in production?  I was under the
| > understanding that all of 2.x was beta.  Is 2.0.46 recommended as
| > "production", or some sort?
| It is and it is not. It has proven stable for years now,
| so it is the recommended release (although not officially).

 I think it would be useful to have some reference to this situation on
the FVWM web pages, as well as a direct link to the 2.0.46 source. Call
it the 'stable beta' if you want to, or something.

 Right now someone going to the FVWM web pages is likely going to leave
with the impression that his or her choice is an ancient fvwm1 or an
unstable beta series. I don't think that this is a desirable state of
things.

	- cks
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Forrest Tanaka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 17:07:15 -0800

This would be a good thing.  I've been using fvwm2 for a couple of years, 
upgrading as new versions were advertized, and I've subscribed to this 
list for a month or so now, and this is the first I've ever heard of what 
this numbering scheme means!  I know these are betas, but the meaning of 
"beta" has degraded in my mind to mean "reasonably stable release, but 
don't be too surprised about weird problems," mostly because of software 
like fvwm2 and many others that seem to have never-ending beta cycles.  
I'm not complaining (when I stray and try other window managers, I always 
come back to fvwm2; why go out when the milk's free at home), but this 
was news to me.

A little expectation-setting on the main web page would probably be a 
good thing.  Even better, though maybe more trouble than it's worth, 
would be a recommended stable release that gets updated as releases get 
some exposure to the people.

-- Forrest

>unstable beta series. I don't think that this is a desirable state of

  /\_/\   Forrest Tanaka of Cisco Systems  | "Doctors have discovered that
 /  "  \  E-Mail:  [email-masked]       |  deer hunters are at
 \ ^ ^ /  US-Mail: 170 West Tasman Drive   |  unusually high risk for
  ~\o/~            San Jose, CA 95134-1706 |  stress-related heart-
    U     FAX:     408 527-1710            |  attacks. Also at high risk:
          Phone:   408 527-3662            |  the deer." - Norm MacDonald