Subject: FVWM: 2.0.46 -> 2.1.4 differences in IconMan, Buttons

From: Jim Nicholson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:52:54 -0500 (EST)

I bit and built the new version, and managed to install it. I'm
noticing some behaviors that puzzle me:

- FvwmIconMan starts out by issuing "*FvwmIconMan: cannot open
  /dev/console" and then goes on to send all kinds of debug info to
  stdout. Is there a way to turn this off?

- The 'panel' configuration syntax for FvwmButtons is different from
  the one I was using with a patch Buttons under 2.0.46. The new
  configuration syntax is probably better, except that I can't get
  even a simple example (or the manpage example) to work.

Any hints?

- Jim

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 13:43:49 -0700 (MST)

> stdout. Is there a way to turn this off?

I get this too.  I don't know how to turn it off, but definining a
console at least keeps it from printing to the display.

I have contool in my .Xinitrc, so the errors go to there.  When I boot
from a system that doesn't have console, I use the -C option on an
Xterm to grab the console output.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
	   Mark Crocker (Micron Technology Inc., Product Engineer)
  Business:     |        [email-masked]         | (208) 368-3525
  Personal:     |        [email-masked]         | (208) 336-0541
       Web:        http://netnow.micron.net/~mcrocker
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 17:10:13 -0700 (MST)

>> stdout. Is there a way to turn this off?

Yes -- I think so.  I'm not an expert C programmer, but I found that
debug.h in the modules/FvwmIconMan directory has the following lines
near the top.

	#if 1
	#define PRINT_DEBUG      
	#endif

Since the lines that produce the console messages that I see all come
from the print_button_info(Button *b) function (in xmanager.c), which
is #ifdef'd with PRINT_DEBUG, then changing the 1 in debug.h to a 0
should turn off the debugging messages that we are seeing.  

This looks to be "hardwired".  If anyone out there knows a "soft" way
to do this, please let me know.

> I have contool in my .Xinitrc, so the errors go to there.  When I
> boot from a system that doesn't have console, I use the -C option on
> an Xterm to grab the console output.

I meant to say if the system doesn't have contool, use xterm -C...
And now I DO know how to turn it off.

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 07:49:53 -0500 (EST)

>   stdout. Is there a way to turn this off?
edit FvwmIconMan/debug.h
and set this 
#if 0
#define PRINT_DEBUG
#endif

to #if 0
then recompile the module

>   even a simple example (or the manpage example) to work.

The man page lists up as the default direction, but the code wasn't
setting this.  It has been fixed in the next release.  But in the meantime
you can just put a direction in your panel definitions.

Brad