Subject: Re: FVWM: Page-placement of windows?

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 11:12:38 +0000

Bob Woodside wrote:
> "Philippe BOURDEU d'AGUERRE" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > I try to use:
> > Style "Netscape*"     SkipMapping, StartsOnPage 0 1 0
> > with an InitFunction which starts Netscape with option -iconic.
> > It fails, Netscape always starts on Page 0 0 0 :=(
> > But it works without -iconic option.
> 
>         The problem lies in code that is much older than the StartsOnPage
> logic. FVWM bypasses any of the window placement logic (where StartsOnPage
> operates) if the window has the wmhints initial_state properrty set to
> IconicState. This is what happens when you use the -iconic command line
> argument.
> 
>         I'm not quite sure what the reason for this was...perhaps to defer
> the placement logic until the window is actualy mapped for the first time.
> I see an inconsistencly in the handling that puzzles me, but it may give
> you a temporary workaround. If you use the StartIconic style instead of
> using the -iconic arg, it slips right on through the placement code and
> ends up on the page where you wanted it.

  Well, I'm now trying to use this, ... and it /doesn't/ seem to work. It
gets the Netscape stuff on the right page if one removes '-iconic', but
the StartsIconic style fails, and both Navigator & MailThread kick off in
open windows:

Style "*"  SloppyFocus, SkipMapping
Style "MailThread"  StartIconic, IconBox 941 0 -157 -846
Style "Navigator"   StartIconic, IconBox 941 0 -157 -846, StartsOnPage 0 1
0

...   toolwait netscape -ncols 128 -mail file:$HOME/.www/index.html

  I've had to put, after the toolwait (in my kick-off-apps script):

   FvwmCommand 'Function Iconify-Netscape'   2>&1  > /dev/null

with:

AddToFunc Iconify-Netscape  \
   "I" Wait MailThread
+  "I" Next [MailThread] Iconify 1
+  "I" Next [Navigator]  Iconify 1

  Not pleasant [you see the mailthread window momentarily] but it works.

-- 
========================- http://www.rrds.co.uk/ -======================
 Neil Bird                   |   This is who we are     The time is near
                             |        There are 374 days remaining
 mailto:[email-masked] |                           [ T-167 days! ]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 14:17:27 +0100

> the StartsIconic style fails, and both Navigator & MailThread kick off in

I think Bob has fixed this in the CVS tree.

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].