Subject: FVWM: Building problems FVWM 2.1.4

From: Eric Vannier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 02:56:30 +0000

Hi,

I ran into some problems while compiling the FVWM distribution
on Solaris 5.6
uname -a : SunOS solls1 5.6 Generic_105181-10 sun4u sparc
SUNW,Ultra-5_10
compiling w/ gcc : 
gcc -v : gcc version 2.7.2.1

I tried acc with no luck.
SC3.0.1 7/13/94
acomp: SC3.0.1 7/13/94 Sun C 3.0.1

This problem comes at first from the M_ERROR macro
which is present in /usr/include/sys/stream.h.
This was in Fvwmcpp.c
This was an easy fix, since I discovered that on some places
a conditonnal code could be seen :
#ifdef RPLAY
#undef M_ERROR /* Solaris fix */
#endif
So I undef M_ERROR ...
Then a new problem arrived ... this time, this was NBBY  ...
I ignored it ... Since a bigger problem came out :

--------------
Making all in FvwmCpp
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I../../libs
-I/usr/openwin/include  
-DFVW_MODULEDIR=\"/usr/local/libexec/fvwm/2.1.4\"
-DFVWM_CONFIGDIR=\"/usr/local/etc\ -DFVWM_CPP=\"/t/lang/cpp\"    -g -O2
-c FvwmCpp.c
In file included from FvwmCpp.c:26:
/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1/2.7.2.1/include/sys/param.h:187:
arning: `NBBY' redefined
/usr/include/sys/select.h:45: warning: this is the location of the
previous defnition
In file included from /usr/include/sys/stream.h:26,
                 from /usr/include/netinet/in.h:38,
                 from /usr/include/netdb.h:96,
                 from FvwmCpp.c:29:
/usr/include/sys/model.h:32: #error "No DATAMODEL_NATIVE specified"
In file included from FvwmCpp.c:37:
-----------

Basically, this model.h defines a model (but I do not have a clue
about what it is right now), and if no model is defined, it 
complains. There are two models : _ILP32 and _LP64.
Anyway, when  I force the definition of one or another, this 
is not any better :

-----------
In file included from /usr/include/sys/stream.h:21,
                 from /usr/include/netinet/in.h:38,
                 from /usr/include/netdb.h:96,
                 from FvwmCpp.c:32:
/usr/include/sys/vnode.h:155: parse error before `u_offset_t'
/usr/include/sys/vnode.h:155: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or
union
/usr/include/sys/vnode.h:163: parse error before `}'
/usr/include/sys/vnode.h:163: warning: data definition has no type or
storage class
/usr/include/sys/vnode.h:271: parse error before `intptr_t'
/usr/include/sys/vnode.h:324: parse error before `u_offset_t'
In file included from /usr/include/netdb.h:96,
                 from FvwmCpp.c:32:
/usr/include/netinet/in.h:156: parse error before `uint32_t'
/usr/include/netinet/in.h:156: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or
union
/usr/include/netinet/in.h:156: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or
union
/usr/include/netinet/in.h:160: warning: data definition has no type or
storage class
/usr/include/netinet/in.h:167: parse error before `}'
/usr/include/netinet/in.h:226: field `sin_addr' has incomplete type
/usr/include/netinet/in.h:286: field `imr_multiaddr' has incomplete type
/usr/include/netinet/in.h:287: field `imr_interface' has incomplete type
-----------

Ok, this output is a bit big ...
Sorry about that.

You might wonder why I tried acc ... just because I supposed
there might be some conflicts between the gcc includes and the
Solaris includes ...

I just wanted to know if somebody ran into similar problems on
Solaris. And if yes, what would be a quick fix ... without having
to check everything in the /usr/include includes for possible
conflicts, etc ...

Thanks for your help.
Anyway, this is the first time I try to configure this on Solaris,
this ran just perfectly under Linux ... but this is a different system
:)

Eric

-- 
Eric Vannier             / Mail    : [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 08:36:48 -0500 (EST)

> In file included from FvwmCpp.c:37:

Its actually a rather simple problem, your gcc is built for solaris 2.5.1
and your are compiling on 2.6.  The solution is simple, rebuild gcc for
2.6 or compile on 2.5.1 and then copy it to your 2.6 machine.  This is not
an fvwm problem but a compiler problem.  I'm supprised this is the first
you noticed it, as soon as I upgraded to 2.6 I couldn't get a thing to
build with the old gcc.

Brad