Subject: FVWM: suggestion: FreezePointer

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 12:14:37 -0330 (NST)

Hello,

How many times did you end up with the mouse off the mousepad and had to 
lift the mouse to regain a hold of the pointer?

Well, I think it's time for a hack that does the following:

Pressing a key freezes the pointer. While the key is depressed you can
move the mouse freely and the pointer won't move. When you release the 
key the mouse regains power over the pointer. That way you don't have to
lift the mouse off the mousepad to regain control.

In fact, if you have 4 or more adjacent virtual desktops then chances are
that you do have to lift the mouse lost of times while using your computer.
Things get even worse when dust gets on the wheels of the sphere beneath
the mouse and the pointer starts moving bizzarely.

It't time for a new hack.

Best Regards,

Neil
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 15:57:15 +0000

> lift the mouse off the mousepad to regain control.

I don't think the window manager is the place to do this.  The window
manager would have to keep warping the pointer back everytime it moved
in this mode.  The X server is the place to do it.

> It't time for a new hack.

It's time for a Cirque Glidepoint(tm) or a retinal tracking system.

Cheers,
Tim.