Subject: FVWM: FVWM-2.1.4

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Dec 1998 18:49:46 -0600

The F???? Virtual Window Manager workers list is pleased to
announce the first official beta test version of Fvwm2 (version
number 2.1.4). Available at

  http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/

it includes the following features:

*) New web site, overhauled documentation and a new Bug
   tracking system.
*) Improved menu handling with animated menus, improved cursor
   key navigation, individual menu styles and better overall
   flexibility.
*) Enhanced window and focus handling (SnapAttraction and
   Direction commands).
*) New commands for desks and pages (MoveToPage, MoveToDesk,
   FvwmPager showing the current desk).
*) Proper Windoze95 style Alt-Tab behaviour.
*) Animated iconification and window movement and animated panels
   in FvwmButtons (like CDE).
*) Mini title windows for FvwmPager (aka Balloons).
*) FvwmEvent is the successor of FvwmAudio. FvwmAudio is still
   available.
*) FvwmTile and FvwmCascade modules were replaced by
   FvwmRearrange. Shells for FvwmTile and FvwmCascade provide
   backward compatibility.
*) Improved FvwmButtons button placement to give absolute control
   over where the buttons are placed.
*) Color limiting (previously available thru patches).
*) Multiple Icon Boxes, Icon box grids, and Icon box fill
   direction control (previously available thru patches).
*) Faster startup.
*) Lots of bug fixes to improve stability.
*) Many small enhancements too numerous to list here.
*) Consistent copying policy.
*) GNU autoconf support.

More detailed information on the contents of this release can be
found at:

  http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/NEWS.html

Although the maintainers feel this beta is quite stable there are
some known problems that shall be fixed before the final release
(and some that will have to wait). You can find a list of known
bugs in the BUGS file at the top level of the distribution.

Before you report a bug, please read the manpages, the NEWS file
and the FAQ too. If you can solve your problem this way but still
feel the information was too hard to find, please tell us.

To submit a bug, please follow the link to the FVWM bug tracking
system on our web page.

Beta testers needed:
====================

You like fvwm and want to help? Become a beta tester. You can just
download the distribution and run your latest setup with the new
beta, but I you feel like doing something really helpful, pick an
area from the following list, try to test it as completely as you
can and report your test setup to the fvwm-workers mailing list:

  <[email-masked]>

 - Compile fvwm2 on as many different platforms and with as many
   combinations of options as you can (see INSTALL.fvwm for a
   list of options).

 - Try to break fvwm with exotic setups and syntax errors in the
   configuration file.

 - Play with the new menu features (animated menus, individual
   menu styles, position hints, cursor key movement etc.)

 - Test the new features in FvwmButtons (animated panels, button
   geometries, button placement algorithm). Panels are somewhat
   difficult to understand so please read the manpage (there are
   some examples).

 - Thorough test of FvwmPager. The configuration parser has been
   changed so every option should be tested.

 - Thorough test of FvwmIconMan. The configuration parser has
   been changed so every option should be tested.

 - Test the new module FvwmAnimate.

 - Test the new module FvwmEvent.

-- 
Jason L Tibbitts III - [email-masked] - 713/743-3486 - 660PGH - 94 PC800
   System Manager:  University of Houston Department of Mathematics 
      "I survived while Ruby died in Jackie's trashy fantasy..."
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Guangyong Xu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 03:41:05 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
	I installed this version on my PC running Linux. Some of the new
features are really exciting, such as FvwmAnimation and the balloons in
the pager. However, I seem not able to get the panel
working in FvwmButtons. I thought I might have done something wrong so I
just copied the example from the man page exactly, i.e. as below:
##########################################################################
       *FvwmButtonsFore Black
       *FvwmButtonsBack rgb:90/80/90
       *FvwmButtonsGeometry -135-5
       *FvwmButtonsRows 1
       *FvwmButtonsBoxSize smart
       *FvwmButtonsFont -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-12-*
       *FvwmButtonsPadding 2 2

       *FvwmButtons(Title WinOps,Panel WinOps)
       *FvwmButtons(Title Tools ,Panel Tools)

       *FvwmButtons(Title Resize,Icon resize.xpm ,Action Resize)
       *FvwmButtons(Title Move  ,Icon arrows2.xpm,Action Move  )
       *FvwmButtons(Title Lower ,Icon Down       ,Action Lower )
       *FvwmButtons(Title Raise ,Icon Up         ,Action Raise )
       *FvwmButtons(Title Kill  ,Icon bomb.xpm   ,Action Destroy)

       *FvwmButtons(1x1,Container(Rows 3,Frame 1))
       *FvwmButtons(Title Dopey ,Action                          \
           `Exec "big_win" xterm -T big_win -geometry 80x50 &`)
       *FvwmButtons(Title Snoopy, Font fixed, Action             \
           `Exec "small_win" xterm -T small_win &`)
       *FvwmButtons(Title Smokin')
       *FvwmButtons(End)

       *FvwmButtons(Title Xcalc, Icon rcalc.xpm,                 \
                    Action `Exec "Calculator" xcalc &`)
       *FvwmButtons(Title XMag, Icon magnifying_glass2.xpm,      \
                    Action `Exec "xmag" xmag &`)
       *FvwmButtons(Title Mail, Icon mail2.xpm,                  \
                    Action `Exec "xmh" xmh &`)
       *FvwmButtons(4x1, Swallow "FvwmPager" `FvwmPager 0 3`     \
                    Frame 3)

       *FvwmButtons(Swallow(UseOld,NoKill) "xload15" `Exec xload \
            -title xload15 -nolabel -bg rgb:90/80/90 -update 15 &`)

       ########## PANEL
       *FvwmButtonsPanel WinOps
       *FvwmButtonsBack bisque2
       *FvwmButtonsGeometry -3-3
       *FvwmButtonsColumns 1

       *FvwmButtons(Title Resize,Icon resize.xpm ,Action Resize)
       *FvwmButtons(Title Move  ,Icon arrows2.xpm,Action Move  )
       *FvwmButtons(Title Lower ,Icon Down       ,Action Lower )
       *FvwmButtons(Title Raise ,Icon Up         ,Action Raise )

       ########## PANEL
       *FvwmButtonsPanel Tools
       *FvwmButtonsBack bisque2
       *FvwmButtonsGeometry -1-1
       *FvwmButtonsColumns 1

       *FvwmButtons(Title Kill  ,Icon bomb.xpm   ,Action Destroy)

the following was still what I
got when I click on the bottons "WinOps" and "Tools" (they are supposed
to let out panels):
[FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module 'Tools' in ModulePath
'/opt/libex
ec/fvwm/2.1.4'
[FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module 'Tools' in ModulePath
'/opt/libex
ec/fvwm/2.1.4'

Anyone got ideas? Thanks.

-G.Xu

---

From: Guangyong Xu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 14:20:25 -0500 (EST)

This is still about the problem I described last time about not able to
get panels to work in FvwmButtons. I finally got it working. The problem
seems to be that I had to specify the direction of the Panel : 
*FvwmButtons(Panel (up) test,Title test)

Although in the man page it says that up is the default, it doesn't seem
so in my case. But anyway, it's working. I plan to use this instead of
FvwmWharf as I did before. It would look much better actually if it has
animation. 

G.Xu

---

From: TG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 1998 17:43:06 +0100

> To submit a bug, please follow the link to the FVWM bug tracking

Where should I actually put my bug reports? To the fvwm-workers mailing
list or at the bug tracking system on the web page?

Thanks,

Wing Tung

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 16:42:12 +0100

> *FvwmButtons(Panel (up) test,Title test)

fixed

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 18:45:24 +0100

> list or at the bug tracking system on the web page?

Bugs should be reported in Jitterbug. If you pick an item from
list, you should report that fact to the list and tell us what
exactly you tested where (the test setup). I want not only to know
what went wrong but what was tested successfully too. If you find
lots of bugs you may want to post a short overview to the list.
But in the end all bug reports (hopefully) make it into Jitterbug
and it's better if you hack them in directly (otherwise I'll have
a boring cut-and-paste session).

Bye

Dominik

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 07 Dec 1998 13:10:49 -0500

%% Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

  dv> On Sun, Dec 06, 1998 at 05:43:06PM +0100, [email-masked] wrote:

  >> Where should I actually put my bug reports? To the fvwm-workers
  >> mailing list or at the bug tracking system on the web page?

  dv> Bugs should be reported in Jitterbug.

Note that the fvwm-workers list automatically receives a copy of all
"incoming" bug reports, so there's no need to send anything to
fvwm-workers when you report a bug.  Info on any particular testing you
do, as Dominik mentions, can be reported to fvwm-workers.

Thanks.

PS. Also note that your bug report will probably not appear immediately
    on the web!  Jitterbug works via email, so your bug report will
    generate an email which needs to be processed before it shows up on
    the web.

    Don't despair!  And don't send it twice! :)

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tak <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 11:18:32 -0800

Didn't this change to  http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/  ?

-tak

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Dec 1998 15:58:25 -0600

>>>>> "T" == Tak  <[email-masked]> writes:

T> Didn't this change to http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/ ?

Yes, it did, but not everything has been adjusted for the change yet.

 - J<