Subject: FVWM: How to reduce color consuming by fvwm2?

From: Yossi Itzkovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 08:25:28 +0200 (IST)

Hi,

After just loading fvwm2 with pager , I see that 150 colors were allocated !!!
in .fvwm2rc I see only 2 references of colors, and I have added 
ColorLimit 60

So, where did all the color go?
What can I do to reduce the colors of fvwm?

Thanks,

Yossi

----------------------------------
E-Mail: [email-masked]
Date: 24-Dec-98

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 08:53:51 -0500

> What can I do to reduce the colors of fvwm?

You need to put "ColorLimit 60" before your first use of any pixmap
in your .fvwm2rc.  If you have done this, how many colors is fvwm2 using
now?

You want to make sure you are not using gradients anywhere.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Yossi Itzkovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 08:19:49 +0200 (IST)

d
On 24-Dec-98 Dan Espen wrote:
>> After just loading fvwm2 with pager , I see that 150 colors were allocated
>> !!
>> !

Well, I don't have any gradients, and I put all the colors (including *Back and 
*Fore) in the .fvwm2rc in comments.  I puy the ColorLimit before any use of pixm
ap .  
I saved only 2 colors.

So, what shall I do?

Yossi

Date: 27-Dec-98

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 15:18:28 -0500

Yossi Itzkovich <[email-masked]> writes:
> > Dan Espen

What tool are you using to show the number of colors allocated?

When do you actually loose the colors?

Start fvwm2, but don't start any other programs or modules.  How many
colors are allocated?  Start other things you use, including the Pager
one at a time until you see an unreasonable number of colors allocated.

---

From: Yossi Itzkovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 07:15:30 +0200 (IST)

Hi,

It seems that my .xinitrc was doing some unnecessary work and did took about 140
colors, so everything is ok now, and after loading all modules I consumed only a
bout 20 colors.

Thanks,

Yossi 

Date: 28-Dec-98