Subject: FVWM: FvwmCommand stopped working when I recompiled

From: Zack Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 23:04:05 -0500 (EST)

I just recompiled fvwm2 on my debian system and now FvwmCommand/FvwmCommandS
don't work. I put them in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm2/ and made links from them
to /usr/local/bin, which I think is at least part of what I did last time,
but now when I give an FvwmCommand like "-i2 send window_list", I just get
back:

FvwmCommand error in opening message
--No such file or directory--

Zack

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 08:48:41 -0500

> --No such file or directory--

The man page has something to say about this.  Don't you think
you should mention the fvwm release you are using?

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Zack Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 23:38:10 -0500 (EST)

> you should mention the fvwm release you are using?

smr-2.0.46.4

I know the man page says that this error means FvwmCommandS is not loaded. I
didn't misunderstand the error message, I just can't get the error message
to go away. As far as I can tell, I have the files properly installed, and I
invoke it properly in the rc file ("Module FvwmCommandS" on a line by itself
at the top of the file without the quotes), but FvwmCommandS just isn't
loading.

I would really appreciate help on this, because as far as I know, I did
everything right. I don't know what else to do. I've tried running FvwmTalk
and loading the FvwmCommandS module by hand, but it just fails. Is there any
way to see the error message from FvwmTalk? I just don't know what to do. I
tried giving no path, giving the full path, nothing works.

(I know my version is a little out of date, but I'm using a patched version
of fvwm2 and the patch hasn't been done for the latest version. I doubt the
patch is the problem, though, because someone else got FvwmCommandS to work
even with the same patched version. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to get
it to work on my system. We're both stumpted.)

Zack

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 09:27:41 -0500

> it to work on my system. We're both stumpted.)

Is it fair to say that the correct problem statement is "FvwmCommandS"
exits prematurely?

If so, I seem to remember this being fixed sometime during the 2.1.x
beta series.

You can either try to debug this in your patched 2.0.46, or try out
the latest beta.  It is possible that the 2.1.x FvwmCommand will work
with your patched 2.0.46.

---

From: Toshi Isogai <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 08:52:37 -0700 (MST)

> > you should mention the fvwm release you are using?

 FvwmCommand comes with the original 2.0.46 distribution needs a
patch. 
 What is smr, anyway?

 > tried giving no path, giving the full path, nothing works.

You can see error messages in a couple different ways. Running
FvwmConsole or invoking fvwm2 with redirection such as 
fvwm2 2>/tmp/fvwm.err".

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Toshi Isogai          [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].