Subject: FVWM: Page-placement of windows?

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 08:44:39 +0000

There's an old article (Jan '97) in the mailing-list archive about
specifying a *Page* for a window (a la 'StartsOnDesk', but
'StartsOnPage'). There didn't seem to be any response - does anyone know
how to achieve this?

  I set my NetScape window to come up in page (1,0) by adding the
screen-width to its default geom., which worked (when spawning a browser
window from (0,0) ... but if I spawn one /from/ (1,0), it comes up in
(2,0) - D'Oh!

-- 
========================- http://www.rrds.co.uk/ -======================
 Neil Bird                   |   This is who we are     The time is near
                             |        There are 380 days remaining
 mailto:[email-masked] |                           [ T-173 days! ]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 07:22:07 -0500 (EST)

> window from (0,0) ... but if I spawn one /from/ (1,0), it comes up in

In versions 2.1.x you can use StartsOnPage d x y,
d is the desk
x is page across
y is page down
the d or the x y is optional
with no d current desk is used 
with no x y works like StartsOnDesk

Brad

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous

---

From: "Philippe BOURDEU d'AGUERRE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 14:34:20 +0100

> with no x y works like StartsOnDesk
I was very happy to find this feature which was high in my wish list,
but I am a bit disappointed because it doesn't work very well.

I try to use:

Style "Netscape*"	SkipMapping, StartsOnPage 0 1 0

with an InitFunction which starts Netscape with option -iconic.

It fails, Netscape always starts on Page 0 0 0 :=(
But it works without -iconic option.

I think also that both options StartsOnPage and StartsOnDesk could be
grouped together in a single option.
-- 
Philippe BOURDEU d'AGUERRE
AIME - Campus de l'INSA                  http://www.aime.insa-tlse.fr/
Complexe Scientifique de Rangueil	 Tel +33 561 559 885
31077 TOULOUSE CEDEX 04 - FRANCE 	 Fax +33 561 559 873
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 08:39:57 -0500 (EST)

> But it works without -iconic option.

could you file a bug report for this one on
http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/cgi-bin/fvwm-bug

> grouped together in a single option.

This does work if you just say StartsOnPage d 

Brad