Subject: FVWM: save desktop?

From: steve <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 22:03:34 +0000

Hello there
	I have fvwm2 working on a slackware 3.5 which I have just installed.
	It seems very good but one of the things listed in "modules" is save
desktop.It doesn't appear to do this.Does anyone have a suggestion for
where I need to look to find the problem and solve it?

	regards  Steve Jarvis

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 15:36:44 -0500

> where I need to look to find the problem and solve it?

Very likely, it doesn't do what you think it does.

Did it create a .fvwmdesk file in your home directory?

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: steve <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 21:53:00 +0000

Hello again
	The /.fvwmdesk file is only a couple of lines long
	and only contains the following-
		Add To Func InitFunction
	    	"I" desk 0 0
		"I" Exec oclock - geometry 120x120+170x170+

It does not appeart refer to anything else.

	In the .fvwm2 file I found in /etc/X11/fvwm2/system.fvwm2rc
the reference to saving the desk top appears to be related to a Module
called 'fvwm SaveDesktop'.While this has the same format of all the
other module references in that file it does not appear to cause any
event.Might it be that the actual 'module' is missing?

	regards  Steve Jarvis

> Dan Espen wrote:

---

From: "Scott D. Boyd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 23:01:38 -0600

Steve,

I'm fairly certain you need to add those lines in .fvwmdesk to your
.fvwm2rc file in your home directory. Those two changes will take effect
when you next start or re-start fvwm.

Scott Boyd

---

From: Steven Howe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 21:26:31 -0800

I'd guess you need to add a line to your .fvwm2rc file to 'read .fvwmdesk';
the end of
the .fvwm2rc is a good place.
The read command is good for reading into your configuration all sorts of
things,
like scripts (see FvwmForm man page for  a few ideas).

Steven Howe
[email-masked]

---

From: steve <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:29:11 +0000

Hell there
	Thank you all for the advice.I have been merrily editing away at the
.fvwm2rc file for a little while now and can see that fvwm is extremely
configurable.
	Putting read.fvwmdesk does allow the saving of a range of positions of
xterms and other programs.I now also realise that editing the
configuration file directly can allow the imeadiate starting of other
programs.

		regards Steve Jarvis