Subject: FVWM: A problem with EdgeResistance, EdgeScroll (fvwn 2.1.45)

From: "Philippe BOURDEU d'AGUERRE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 09:34:25 +0100

Hello,

With a former release (2.0.45), I had :

EdgeResistance 250 50
EdgeScroll 0 0

This allows me :
- to switch from one page to another by moving a window across border of
screen
- to NOT have automatic scrolling when mouse reaches border of screen.

With fvwn 2.1.45, this behaviour seems to be impossible despite the man
page:

	  Note that, with "EdgeScroll 0 0", it is still  possible
          to  move  or  resize  windows  across  the  edge of the
          current screen.   By  making  the  first  parameter  to
          EdgeResistance 10000 this type of motion is impossible.
          With EdgeResistance less than 10000 but greater than  0
          moving over pages becomes difficult but not impossible.

This behaviour was very useful for new users. I use Solaris 2.5.1
-- 
Philippe BOURDEU d'AGUERRE
AIME - Campus de l'INSA                  http://www.aime.insa-tlse.fr/
Complexe Scientifique de Rangueil	 Tel +33 561 559 885
31077 TOULOUSE CEDEX 04 - FRANCE 	 Fax +33 561 559 873
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 11:37:10 +0100

> With fvwn 2.1.45, this behaviour seems to be impossible despite the man

Can you give me a detailed description how to reproduce this?
I need some .fvwm2rc which creteates this. Could you send me
yours?

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 09:42:35 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998 09:34:25 +0100, "Philippe BOURDEU d'AGUERRE" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello, With a former release (2.0.45), I had :

> EdgeResistance 250 50 EdgeScroll 0 0

> This allows me : to switch from one page to another by moving a
> window across border of screen to NOT have automatic scrolling when
> mouse reaches border of screen.

> With fvwn 2.1.45, this behaviour seems to be impossible despite the
> man page:

> 	  Note that, with "EdgeScroll 0 0", it is still possible to
> move or resize windows across the edge of the current screen.  By
> making the first parameter to EdgeResistance 10000 this type of
> motion is impossible. With EdgeResistance less than 10000 but
> greater than 0 moving over pages becomes difficult but not
> impossible.

> This behaviour was very useful for new users. I use Solaris 2.5.1

I have a similar problem (see bug report message id 65) with edge
scroll.  

On my system, the edge scroll does work, but only going up or to the
left.  Since my setup automatically starts in the upper left "page",
it appears that edge scroll doesn't work at all, but when in a page
that has another page above or to the left of it, I can edgescroll in
that direction.  Moving windows across page boundaries also works in
only two of the four directions.  Please try all directions to see if
you are able to use some, but not all directions like I can.

This does NOT occur with our UltraSPARC machines running Solaris.
This also did NOT occur with fvwm 2.0.46.

	mcrocker@mcrocker/home/mcrocker> uname -r
	4.1.3_U1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
	   Mark Crocker (Micron Technology Inc., Product Engineer)
              [email-masked]   |    (208) 368-3525
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Philippe BOURDEU d'AGUERRE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 18:49:18 +0100

> you are able to use some, but not all directions like I can.
No it doesn't work in any direction.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 23:06:03 +0100

> This behaviour was very useful for new users. I use Solaris 2.5.1

fixed

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 23:13:35 +0100

> you are able to use some, but not all directions like I can.

Well, Dan and I tried to reproduce it but cannot. Nothing will be done on
this subject anymore unless you post at least your EdgeSrcoll and
EdgeResistance lines.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 08:32:31 -0500

> this subject anymore unless you post at least your EdgeSrcoll and

Given that I can't reproduce this, I can only come up with theories,
not fixes.

In 2.1.x we changed the pan frame thickness from 2 to 1.

Edgescrolling works  because  fvwm2  creates  these invisible  windows
around the edges of  the  screen.  When the   mouse moves into  one of
these invisible windows and  stays there for the "EdgeResistance" time
period, a scroll takes place.

Perhaps some X Servers aren't happy with 1 pixel wide windows.

Mark, could you try changing PAN_FRAME_THICKNESS from 1 back to 2
in fvwm.h, re-compile and retest?

As I remember, the change from 2 to 1 was for FvwmTaskbar?

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 14:33:06 +0000

> As I remember, the change from 2 to 1 was for FvwmTaskbar?

Yes it was to get the TaskBars AutoHide to work.  It's more important to
get page scrolling to work than keeping AutoHide working, so don't worry
about breaking it.

I'm not sure FvwmTaskBar has a long term future, it's only unique
features seems to be the window title tips and the ability to not show
transients.  Everthing else can be mangled with FvwmButtons,
FvwmIconMan, xclock, xbiff and FvwmEvent (for autohiding). FvwmIconMan
could do with some work eventually and I'd like to put tips into it
then.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Mark Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:46:18 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 08:32:31 -0500, Dan Espen <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> On Thu, Dec 17, 1998 at 09:42:35AM -0700, Mark Crocker wrote: I
>> have a similar problem (see bug report message id 65) with edge
>> scroll.  On my system, the edge scroll does work, but only going up
>> or to the left.  Since my setup automatically starts in the upper
>> left "page", it appears that edge scroll doesn't work at all, but
>> when in a page that has another page above or to the left of it, I
>> can edgescroll in that direction.  Moving windows across page
>> boundaries also works in only two of the four directions.  Please
>> try all directions to see if you are able to use some, but not all
>> directions like I can.
>> 
>> Well, Dan and I tried to reproduce it but cannot. Nothing will be
>> done on this subject anymore unless you post at least your
>> EdgeSrcoll and EdgeResistance lines.

> these invisible windows and stays there for the "EdgeResistance"
> time period, a scroll takes place.

> Mark, could you try changing PAN_FRAME_THICKNESS from 1 back to 2 in
> fvwm.h, re-compile and retest?

Wow you nailed it!  Thank-you very much.  It would've taken me aeons
to find that one.

It looks like my cursor arrow doesn't get all the way to the edge
before it's motion is limited.  Perhaps this is an X Server bug.

One amazing thing was that I didn't have to exit X to test it out.
Much to my surprise restart fvwm was able to load the newly updated
executable. 

  Business:     |        [email-masked]         | (208) 368-3525

---

From: Toy Keeper <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 12:34:05 -0700

> in fvwm.h, re-compile and retest?

I'm curious if the Pan Frame still has its old side-effects...  If so,
it would be very helpful to be able to turn off those features.

I still use 2.0.46, but I modified a few things which bothered me.  In
the distrib version, clicking inside the Pan Frame would bring up the
root-window menus, regardless of what was actually under the cursor.  I
fixed this by changing PAN_FRAME_THICKNESS to 0.  (this causes several
startup errors, but they don't seem to matter)  Does the new version
still have this behavior?  Is there a runtime option to turn it off?

The other annoying behavior which I "fixed" was the original topic.  It
now allows mouse-scrolling only if the user is dragging a window over
the edge.  Toying with the sources wasn't the best way to change this,
but it works...  :)

A previous post said something about using 10000 instead of 100 in the
config file, to affect this...  The man page says that using an
EdgeScroll of 100 * scroll_value just lets scrolling "wrap" around
Desktop edges, though (very handy...  :).  Does the man page leave
something out, or am I confusing two things?

 _  _ _  _ ___ ___  -----------"Use the source, Luke!"---------
( \/ ( \/ (__ (__ ) | ~  Scott Scriven (Toy Keeper / XYZZ)    |
 \  / \  /  //  //  | mailto:[email-masked]           |
 /  \ / /  //_ //_  | mailto:[email-masked]         |
(_/\_(_/  (___(___) | http://www.vis.colostate.edu/~scriven/  |
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 13:12:12 -0700 (MST)

> I'm curious if the Pan Frame still has its old side-effects...  If
> so, it would be very helpful to be able to turn off those features.

> I still use 2.0.46, but I modified a few things which bothered me.
> In the distrib version, clicking inside the Pan Frame would bring up
> the root-window menus, regardless of what was actually under the
> cursor.  I fixed this by changing PAN_FRAME_THICKNESS to 0.  (this
> causes several startup errors, but they don't seem to matter) Does
> the new version still have this behavior?  Is there a runtime option
> to turn it off?

It does for me.  2.1.5 with the PAN_FRAME_THICKNESS set to 2 produces
a root menu when Left Mouse Button clicking on the edge of the frame
even with some window underneath that would normally produce some
other reaction to an LMB click.

However, it not very consistent.  Going to the left or up, I don't get
this effect.  Going right or down, it does.  Note that these last two
directions were the same direction that failed to edge scroll for me
when PAN_FRAME_THICKNESS was set to 1.  Also, the root menu
decorations (DGradient in my case) do not appear in this context.

I don't consider these to be real problems because they never appear
on their own and I have to go out of my way to see if I can make them
occur. 

> The other annoying behavior which I "fixed" was the original topic.
> It now allows mouse-scrolling only if the user is dragging a window
> over the edge.  Toying with the sources wasn't the best way to
> change this, but it works...  :)

I can edge scroll with the mouse alone or while dragging a window.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Mark Crocker (MTI PE) | [email-masked] | (208) 36-83525 | Pg. 99416
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 15:23:20 -0500

> > In 2.1.x we changed the pan frame thickness from 2 to 1.
...
> still have this behavior?  Is there a runtime option to turn it off?

Whether the pan frame  is 1 or  2, if you  click on  a window  that is
under  the pan frame,  you are still clicking  on the pan frame, which
fvwm2 treats as the root.

> the edge.  Toying with the sources wasn't the best way to change this,

Seems like what you want is a command:

EdgeScroll off

or maybe you just want a high edgeresistance to kill the pan frames.

> something out, or am I confusing two things?

If I follow you, the later.

Later,