Subject: FVWM: FVWM pages out of date

From: Daniel Morrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 14:59:24 -0500 (EST)

There appear to be TWO official FVWM pages, which I have arbitrarily
classified into old:

http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/		(which has NOT been updated)

and new:

http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/		(which HAS been updated)

I realize that it is unreasonable to maintain two different pages, but
there should at least be a notice (prominently) displayed on the old page
to point people to the new page.  

I was unable to find the e-mail addresses of the maintainers of either
page (and so I apologize for sending this to a list I am not a member of).
I also noticed that the FAQ on the new page refers to the old page as the
'official site'!  What is going on?  Finally, there is not even a version
number or date on the FAQ!  

The documentation for FVWM has always been a bit sketchy, but this is
ridiculous. 

If anyone wants my help with this documentation, feel free to ask.  I
could integrate these two web pages and add the missing information to the
FAQ.  Right now all you are doing is alienating the user community!

-D.

Daniel Morrison         \   Senior Unix Systems Administrator 
[email-masked]  \    Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
                         /   Concordia University, Montreal

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 07 Dec 1998 15:19:49 -0500

%% Daniel Morrison <[email-masked]> writes:

  dm> If anyone wants my help with this documentation, feel free to ask.
  dm> I could integrate these two web pages and add the missing
  dm> information to the FAQ.  Right now all you are doing is alienating
  dm> the user community!

The new page has only been publicly available for about a week, the same
time as the 2.1.4 beta announcement.

Things are in transition, so there are still issues.  I'm not sure if
the plan is to leave the old page as-is until the official 2.2 release
is available, or whether we were just waiting to make sure the new page
didn't fall down before completely switching, with a pointer or
something at the old location.

The best thing you can do to help is continue to note the problems and
report them to the [email-masked] list.  If you want to help
more you can edit the files in the docs subdirectory of the latest beta
(which are the same things on the new web site) and submit patches to
the workers list.

Note we're aware already that the Links page on the new site is very
badly out of date :)

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 15:23:09 -0500

> FAQ.  Right now all you are doing is alienating the user community!

Hey, we try, sometimes we miss things.

Both pages point you to the fvwm-workers list.

Jason will be  updating the old  page to link  to the new page when he
gets a chance.   This is  the first workday  the  new pages have  been
announced.

I'll  go thru the FAQ  and update the  information on the Web site and
the references  to Fvwm.tmpl that were reported,   I'll be looking for
other things that are out of date.

The updated FAQ may take a few days to make it to our web site.

If you have  other problems with the fvwm  documentation, feel free to
bring them to  our attention.  Problem reports  in the form of patches
are welcome.

The 2  different sites  documentation  shouldn't need  integration, we
derived the new from the old.  If we missed something let us know.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Daniel Morrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 16:25:59 -0500 (EST)

> Hey, we try, sometimes we miss things.

True.  I still appreciate a fine wm. 

> gets a chance.   This is  the first workday  the  new pages have  been

Ah, so the new pages happened to coincide with the new release, so the old
pages got left behind...

> other things that are out of date.

Add a version # or a date!

> bring them to  our attention.  Problem reports  in the form of patches

I will do so.  Actually I think I'll join the fvwm list and get more into
the swing of things.  

> derived the new from the old.  If we missed something let us know.

I'm sure it's ok, just needs a link from the old pages, a web maintainer
e-mail address, and a version #/date on the FAQ.  

Thanks for the quick reply!

-D.