Subject: FVWM: lost buttons

From: Chad Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 17:23:53 -0500

I've searched thru the mailing list archives, and haven't seen anyone address
this problem.  I need a way to restart fvwm2 via command line or something
similar.  I apparently have a buggy rc that will lose all changes to buttons
after a while, so I'm left with the default middle button and nothing else.
This means I can't restart via mouse1 on root.  I have tried to bind keys as
well, and all keymods get lost when this happens.  This has been happening
for about a year now, and it's stuck with me thru all the changes I've made
to my .fvwm2rc...any advice would be appreciated.

Chad.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 08:00:29 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Chad Hall wrote:

> I need a way to restart fvwm2 via command line or something
> similar.  

> I apparently have a buggy rc that will lose all changes to buttons
> This means I can't restart via mouse1 on root.  I have tried to bind 
> keys as well, and all keymods get lost when this happens.  This has 
> been happening for about a year now, and it's stuck with me thru all 
> the changes I've made to my .fvwm2rc...any advice would be appreciated.

I'm not sure I understand are saying that you are making changes during a
fvwm session, through FvwmTalk or one of the other modules, and those are
not being saved to your rc.  If that is the case that is the correct
behavior, currentlly there is no way to get external changes to the
config put back into your rc file.

However if you mean your running and suddenlly everything changes in your
environment then I think we have a problem, if it is this second case I
think we would need to take a look at the rc file, and a better
description of what is going on when the problem occurs.

Brad

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 16 Dec 1998 09:54:11 -0500

%% Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]> writes:

  bg> However if you mean your running and suddenlly everything changes
  bg> in your environment then I think we have a problem, if it is this
  bg> second case I think we would need to take a look at the rc file,
  bg> and a better description of what is going on when the problem
  bg> occurs.

If this is the case, the very first step is to provide (a) the version
of fvwm you're running, (b) the system you're running it on (both
hardware and OS), and (c) any special compilations or other non-standard
things you may be using.  This is a must-have for any bug report.

If you're not running a fairly recent fvwm2 (say 2.0.45 or above?) you
should consider getting a copy of the most recent 2.1.5 beta and see if
that helps.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:39:39 -0500

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 17:23:53 -0500
Chad Hall <[email-masked]> 
> to my .fvwm2rc...any advice would be appreciated.

Use the xsession program to start your window manager. This allows you
to stop and start the WM, or start a different WM, from an X application
without quitting X. I couldn't live without it!

From:
  ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/X11/contrib/applications/
  ftp://ftp2.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/

Ric

Richard J Lister, Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Phone: +1 202-687 2878
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].