Subject: FVWM: Problems with fvwm2.1.2

From: Brian Schroeder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 12:28:31 +1030

I have a few problems with fvwm2.1.2;  can anyone help me with them
please?

1. (This probably existed in earlier versions also!)  Contrary to the
   documentation, modules do NOT read the initial configuration file
   (.fvwm2rc), but rather they read the file that was last read.  So,
   for example, if I use the FvwmAnimate module, and it creates a file
   .FvwmAnimate in my home directory, and then start the FvwmTaskBar
   module, it looks in .FvwmAnimate for its configuration rather than
   .fvwm2rc - and therefore doesn't work properly!.  This is just an
   example;  it applies to any file read with the "Read" command, and to
   any module (so far as I could see).

2. Some windows seem to automatically grow when their contents change.
   I have seen this happen in netscape, and also in tkman.  This is a
   new "feature" in 2.1 as I didn't see it in 2.0.x.

3. In my .fvwm2rc file I have the following:

Mouse 0 2       N       Maximize-Func
Mouse 0 2       C       Maximize 100 0
Mouse 0 2       S       Maximize 75 75
Mouse 0 2       M       Maximize 0 100

   This allows me to maximize a window in either the horizontal or the
   vertical direction by using the control or meta keys in conjunction
   with the mouse.  It worked fine in version 2.0.x, but the control, shift
   and meta key combinations no longer work in 2.1.x.  Why?

Brian.
-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Brian Schroeder             |
 ,-_|\   [email-masked]          |
/     \  Boral Energy Resources Ltd |    Many people wish to serve God -
\_,-*_/  Adelaide Australia         |   but in an advisory capacity only.
     v   GPO Box 2576 Adelaide 5001 |
        PH +61 8 8235 3782          |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tak <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 18:24:57 -0800

>    new "feature" in 2.1 as I didn't see it in 2.0.x.

I can verify this behavior as I've seen it as well.  It's sporadic tho.

-tak

---

From: Kaarthik Sivakumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 21:46:50 -0500

>   any module (so far as I could see).

I am running Fvwm 2.0.45 and I can see this happening in that too.

Kaarthik
-- 
Our lives are not Markov chains, our troubles are not memoryless processes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dept of CIS             	Phone: 	302-831-8704
University of Delaware  	Email: 	[email-masked]
Newark, DE-19716        		[email-masked]
USA                     	WWW:	http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~sivakuma
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 09:09:48 -0500 (EST)

> I can verify this behavior as I've seen it as well.  It's sporadic tho.

The workers are aware of this bug but are having some trouble isolating
when it occurs.  If anyone can consistentlly create this problem please
let me know.

Brad

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 09:12:11 -0500

> I am running Fvwm 2.0.45 and I can see this happening in that too.

It appears that FvwmTaskBar is not reading its configuration correctly.
(It is in the "extras" directory after all.)

Originally fvwm modules got passed the name of the  config file as arg
3,  and they opened, read,  and parsed all the  commands in the config
file.   If your  .fvwm2rc  contains any read  commands,  the file read
becomes the  new arg 3  passed to modules.   This leads to the problem
you detected.

What  FvwmTaskBar   should  be doing  is   asking  fvwm2  to  send  it
configuration information through  the fvwm2-to-module pipes.  If  you
want to know when  this is fixed,  you will have  to subscribe  to the
workers list or wait for an announced beta.

The other modules  should not have   this problem.  Please  report any
that do.

The module man pages may  say that they  read the .fvwm2rc config file
because thats what they used to  do, or because the actual explanation
is complicated.  I'll take a look.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 09:34:11 -0500 (EST)

>    and meta key combinations no longer work in 2.1.x.  Why?

I believe this has to do with a click time bug we found right after the
release this one line fix in fvwm/fvwm.c should fix it.

--- fvwm/fvwm/fvwm.c    1998/11/30 10:34:04     1.16
+++ fvwm/fvwm/fvwm.c    1998/11/30 19:43:28     1.17
@@ -474,6 +474,7 @@
   /* Make sure we have the correct click time now. */
   if (Scr.ClickTime < 0)
     Scr.ClickTime = -Scr.ClickTime;
+  fFvwmInStartup = False;
   DBUG("main","Entering HandleEvents loop...");
   HandleEvents();
   DBUG("main","Back from HandleEvents loop?  Exitting...");

---

From: Brian Schroeder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 10:25:10 +1030

> +++ fvwm/fvwm/fvwm.c    1998/11/30 19:43:28     1.17

Thankyou, but I'm afraid that code doesn't seem to match the file I have:
fvwm-2.1.2 : fvwm/fvwm.c.

Line 474... is:

** StartupStuff
**
** Does initial window captures and runs init/restart function
*/
void StartupStuff(void)

Looking for "if (Scr.ClickTime < 0)", I found it in the following
context (starting line 499):

}
  if (Scr.ClickTime < 0)
} /* StartupStuff */

Brian

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 11:25:25 +0100

> fvwm-2.1.2 : fvwm/fvwm.c.

This line

  fFvwmInStartup = False;

must be directly before this one:

  HandleEvents();

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 07:39:20 -0500 (EST)

The place you want is at the bottom of main in fvwm.c

just before calling HandleEvents() you want to insert
fFvwmInStartup = False;

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous

---

From: Brian Schroeder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 09:34:56 +1030

> just before calling HandleEvents() you want to insert

I'm sorry, but you seem to have quite a different fvwm to me.  I could
find the HandleEvents() line at the end of main quite easily, but the
compiler knew nothing about fFvwmInStartup.  Looking through, I couldn't
find anything even similar anywhere in the source code.

Brian.

---

From: Brian Schroeder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 10:51:40 +1030

> find anything even similar anywhere in the source code.

Sorry, I have found the answer.  Version 2.1.3 has come out since I
last looked.  The patch is for that version.

Brian.

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 07:10:22 -0500 (EST)

> last looked.  The patch is for that version.
Oops, I just noticed you were looking at 2.1.2 in your last message, so
now that you have the right source and the patch are you still seeing
any problems?

Brad

---

From: Brian Schroeder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 11:52:56 +1030

> now that you have the right source and the patch are you still seeing

I have now installed 2.1.4, and all of the problems I mentioned in my
original message are still there.

Brian