Subject: FVWM: fvwm2/twm losing PS1 (unix prompt setting) !?

From: "Jose' Manuel Pereira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 00:52:25 +0000 (WET)

(I apologize to follow up to an arguably off-topic thread, it's just to add a
suggestion to an excellent problem report, which isn't exactly a FAQ, and
the author must have read it beforehand).

"AH" == Alexis Huxley <[email-masked]> writes:

  AH> Before starting X windows I run:

  AH> PS1="myprompt> " export PS1

  AH> I then start X with 'startx'. The system's default window manager is
  AH> fvwm2. Then I choose 'xterm' by clicking on the background to activate
  AH> the system wide wm menu and selecting 'xterm'. And my PS1 setting has
  AH> been lost!

  AH> I moved my .profile, .bash*, .fvwm2rc, .xsession, .xinitrc, .Xresources
  AH> files out of the way, logged out and in and repeated the above and it
  AH> still did the same thing.

Check ~/.Xdefaults also.

  AH> I switched to 'twm' instead of fvwm2 and exactly the same thing
  AH> happened.

Looking like Xdefaults... If nobody sets PS1, then you must have a fresh
login session on that xterm. Check w/ "echo $SHLVL" or
[ $SHLVL -eq 1 ] && echo Lost PS1 again...

  AH> (...)

  AH> I've narrowed the problem down to the window manager specifically, by
  AH> running 'xterm &' without options from my .xsession file, and by adding
  AH> a menu option to do the same to my personal .fvwm2rc file. The one
  AH> started by the .xinitrc has PS1 preserved. But the one started by fvwm2
  AH> (which is in turn also started by .xinitrc) loses the PS1 setting.
  AH> (.Xresources has been moved out of the way, so it's nothing to do with
  AH> changing the 'loginShell' X resource between the two invocations of
  AH> xterm.)

1) Are you sure fvwm doesn't add a "-ls" anywhere?
2) Any other lines in .xsession between 'xterm &' and 'fvwm2'?
3) Did I mention to check ~/.Xdefaults?-)

  AH>  [more experiments description deleted, and why PS1 is so important]...

bash+xinit+precious environment vars = Trouble+Many hours wasted ;-)
...been there, done that, bought the t-shirt...(ouch)

Cumprimentos,

-- 
 Jose' Pereira				 		Tel. +351.1.841 9340
 DEEC - Dep. of Electrical and Computer Engineering	Fax. +351.1.841 7499
 Instituto Superior Tecnico - Technical University of Lisboa
 Av. Rovisco Pais - 1049-001 Lisboa - Portugal
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].