Subject: FVWM: Fvwm & Year 2000

From: Kevin Dunstan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 16:57:06 -0500

Hi,

I have been trying to find information about fvwm and whether it is Year 2000
compliant but could find nothing on the web pages or the FAQ. Can you please
confirm if fvwm is Y2K compliant and if so which version(s). If not, please
advise if/when it will be. Thanks...
______________________________________________
Kevin D. Dunstan
IBM Toronto Lab
1R/804/1150/TOR (416) 448-3246 T/L 778
IBM Internal: dunstan@ibmca  Internet: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tak <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 13:56:39 -0800

Kevin Dunstan wrote:

> compliant but could find nothing on the web pages or the FAQ.

In case it HASN'T been done, here's some pointers to neat tools and test
planning guides.

test planning and info:
http://www.year2000.com/archive/testing.html

Src code scanner :
http://www.sgi.com/tech/year2000/scanning.html

-tak

---

From: "Jose' Manuel Pereira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 23:50:25 +0000 (WET)

"Tak" == Tak  <[email-masked]> writes:

  Tak> Kevin Dunstan wrote:
  >> I have been trying to find information about fvwm and whether it is Year
  >> 2000 compliant but could find nothing on the web pages or the FAQ.

  Tak> In case it HASN'T been done, here's some pointers to neat tools and
  Tak> test planning guides.

  Tak> test planning and info: http://www.year2000.com/archive/testing.html

Here I found the following:

	A Y2K Compliance Definition 

    1.For all dates in storage, the century is unambiguous.

    2.All operations give consistent results whether dates in the data, or the
      current system date, are before or after the millennial New Year's Eve.

    3.February 29, 2000 is properly recognized as a leap day. 

    4.All dates are properly and unambiguously recognized and presented on
      input and output interfaces (screens, reports, files, etc.).

I found fvwm, fvwm2 to be "Y2K Compliant" by the above as:

1. Yes. Whatever. No storage of dates. Only X timestamps, which cannot be
related to dates.

2. Yes. The same features and bugs will work correctly as designed. fvwm2
won't even know it's New Year's Eve, much less millennial.

3. ...And correctly handled with extreme indifference.

4. Never saw problems with dates in screens, reports, or files used, or
generated by, fvwm/fvwm2. On second thought, I never saw dates in screens,
reports, or files used, or generated by, fvwm/fvwm2. Don't even think it's
possible. Fvwm is appallingly impervious to dates, in fact.

Therefore,

I hereby certificate the Y2K Compliance of FVWM and FVWM2.

Tell them I said so.

Now, could we please consider this "Fvwm & Year 2000" affair closed?

-- 
 Jose' Pereira				 		Tel. +351.1.841 9340
 DEEC - Dep. of Electrical and Computer Engineering	Fax. +351.1.841 7499
 Instituto Superior Tecnico - Technical University of Lisboa
 Av. Rovisco Pais - 1049-001 Lisboa - Portugal
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 19:16:58 -0500 (EST)

> Now, could we please consider this "Fvwm & Year 2000" affair closed?

	Yes, on February 30, 2000.  :-)

- Bob