Subject: FVWM: Q on starting programs in different pages/desks

From: Moody Ahmad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 22:28:20 -0600

Scenario:
	I startx with a large virtual desktop (5 3x3 desks).
I have a preferred configuration for the desktop - netscape
in one area, doc stuff in another, programming stuff in another,
etc. I can start xterm in any desk I want with
xterm -xrm "*Desk:n".

Question: 
	How do I select which page (desk grid #) to start
a program in?

I looked thru the docs, FAQs, deja news, some archives, etc.
but have not found the magic command if it exists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Moody
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 00:55:50 -0500 (EST)

Moody Ahmad <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I can start xterm in any desk I want with
> xterm -xrm "*Desk:n".
> 
> Question: 

	Specifying the page to start on is not currently supported by
FVWM, but it's coming soon.

	You have two options. If you're using 2.0.46, and are feeling
adventurous, you can grab the StartsOnPage patch from

	http://www.pcnet.com/~proteus/Fvwm/FvwmPAtches.html

Or, you can wait a bit (not too long, I hope) till the next release is
announced. The StartsOnPage style will be in that release.

	If you apply the patch, there are a couple of things you must
do. You must also apply the DontFocusOffscreen patch (available from
the same location, and also included in the next release), and you must
add the following command to your .fvwm2rc:

	StartsOnPageModifiesUSPosition

(This command will not be needed in the formal release; in fact, it
won't be recognized, and FVWM will whine about it.)

	The StartsOnPage style is like a superset of StartsOnDesk. Its
syntax is 

	Style "SomeApp*" StartsOnPage d x y

where d = the desk, and x and y are the x.y positions in the desktop
grid.

	For ad hoc page assignment, the -xrm technique is also recognized.
Following your example, 

	xterm -xrm "*Page:2 2 1"

would start your xterm on the page in the third column, second row of
the third desktop grid.

- Bob

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 01:02:38 -0500 (EST)

Bob Woodside <[email-masked]> wrote:
> adventurous, you can grab the StartsOnPage patch from....
> 

	Sorry, slight slip of the finger in typing that url. It should
have read:

 	http://www.pcnet.com/~proteus/Fvwm/FvwmPatches.html

(but I'd recommend waiting for the release, anyway!)

- Bob

---

From: Shannon Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 09:10:39 -0800

: Question: 
: 	How do I select which page (desk grid #) to start
: a program in?

You can always specify -geometry in the command line of the app being called; 
for example, my Sun desktop is 1152x900, so the command line:

xterm -geometry +1152+0

gives me an xterm in the upper-left-hand corner of the page to the right of my 
start page.

hope this helps...
-- 
      Shannon Lee         =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- 
  Metro1 Systems Group   -=-  
   (503) . 671 . 1244    -=-            Cynicism is an oxymoron.
   [email-masked]    -=-  
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 18:20:14 +0100

> : How do I select which page (desk grid #) to start a program in?
> 

Neat trick :-) Unfortunately not all applications accept this as I learned
when trying to put xclock and FvwmPager off-screen before they are 
swallowed by FvwmButtons.

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Shannon Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 10:08:42 -0800

: Neat trick :-) Unfortunately not all applications accept this as I learned
: when trying to put xclock and FvwmPager off-screen before they are 
: swallowed by FvwmButtons.

my xclock accepts -geometry... but results may vary by unix flavor, obviously. 
 I run Solaris 2.5.1 & Redhat 5.0.

FvwmPager uses the *FvwmPagerGeometry setting to locate itself initially...

*FvwmPagerGeometry +2000+2000

works nicely to get it off your screen until it's swallowed.  Unfortunately, 
if you want to bring up another pager later for some reason, or FvwmButtons 
fails, you can't get to it (especially if you have WindowListSkip enabled for 
FvwmPager, as I do).

have fun...

-- 
      Shannon Lee         =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- 
  Metro1 Systems Group   -=-  Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is 
   (503) . 671 . 1244    -=-  not fully human. At best he is a tolerable 
   [email-masked]    -=-  subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, 
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=   bathe, and not make messes in the house. 
                                                   -Robert A. Heinlein
                                                    "Time Enough for Love"

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 19:41:05 +0100

>  I run Solaris 2.5.1 & Redhat 5.0.

Mine does too but refuses to be put off-screen (or perhaps it's a flaw
in fvwm).

> *FvwmPagerGeometry +2000+2000

Didn't work for me. What fvwm release do you use?

Bye

Dominik