Subject: FVWM: Some ideas and questions

From: Adam Tla/lka <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:39:13 +0100 (MET)

Hello !

Next and Prev are working fine but in my case I want to go to window on
page to which I am switching to (Next [CurrentPage !iconic] focus) .
But if there is no window meeting the condition then while switching back
to previous screen page I get to other window then the last acive.
Maybe there should be some empty position always on top of list meaning no
active window (root active?).

While I am changing active window from WindowList or using Next or Prev
commands positions on list are unchanged but while doing that by clicking
on a window that window gets number 1 on the list.
In my opinion app window should get its number while it is created and 
release it when closed. It will be nice to get to the window just by
calling WindowList and then the same number/letter. Now it is not very
user friendly because number by which I activate window may change many
times and I must read windows list to find my app.

Question: is somebody working on a module which switches windows like
W95 does (acivates window while ALT or another modifier is released
so we can press ALT and then Tab many times to get to correct window
(using IconName and title to display info)  and then activating it by
releasing ALT; ESC shuld cancel action) ?

Sometimes I will prefer window with no decor at all. I want maximize my
app window to full screen with no decor. But I want it to be done by
setting a flag so I can revert to normal/previous state (with previous
decor). Because decor was build on window creation I don't want to build
it again just switch on/off. Is there simple solution to this ?

Regards

 . .  Adam Tla/lka      mailto:[email-masked]    ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
  )   System  & Network Administration Group           ~~~~~~
  -  Computer Center,  Technical University of Gdansk, Poland
     PGP public key:   finger [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:26:13 -0500 (EST)

> releasing ALT; ESC shuld cancel action) ?

I have implemented such a "module" within tkgoodstuff.  Unfortunately,
the author of tkgoodstuff has delivered his "final" release last year. 
He has not designated a successor, but rather left his sources for
somebody to eventually pick up:

	8.0: Here I (MC) leave off development of tkgoodstuff.  Anyone who
 	     would like to adopt it is most welcome.

Over the last few months, I have made some changes to tkgoodstuff, most
specifically supporting FVWM's mini-icons (used in the WindowList
module).  I also added some more configuration options, and added a few
new modules of my own.
 
One of my changes is a Switcher module that can be bound to a keystroke
(for example, Alt+Tab).  The Switcher module acts like  Windoze's
ALT-TAB switcher:  It brings up a window showing the mini-icons of all
windows available and the title of one of them.

When launched via a keyboard event, pressing the bound keystroke
repeatedly will advance through all the mini-icons and window names. 
When the modifier key (e.g. Alt) is released, the module will hide its
window and then focus (and optionally warp) to the last window that was
displayed.

The only problem for me to distribute this is that I would need to
repackage my environment as a new distribution.  I don't think that I
have the time right now to be the maintainer of tkgoodstuff, and the
Switcher module requires some changes that I made to other modules
(tkFvwm.c, Fvwm.tcl, icons, etc.).

Maybe I'll bite the bullet and create a tkgoodstuff 8.1.

-- 
Larry Gensch					      [email-masked]

               "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

---

From: Bill Mason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:46:21 -0800 (PST)

>releasing ALT; ESC shuld cancel action) ?

I just used key bindings to do this.  Alt Tab will execute a Warp.  But
a module would indeed be necessary to have the icon info displayed for
each alt tab.
--
Bill Mason, [email-masked]
http://www.psynet.net/bmason/

---

From: Bill Mason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:51:09 -0800 (PST)

Does anyone know if Mike Finger is still maintaining the FvwmWinList
module?  The last version I have is from '96, and neither email address
offered in the man page work.  Anyway, I'm interested in contributing to
the effort, as there are several things I'm interested in seeing
implemented.
--
Bill Mason, [email-masked]
http://www.psynet.net/bmason/

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 14:03:59 -0500

> the effort, as there are several things I'm interested in seeing

You  can just send  patches to  the fvwm-workers list.   If you really
want to   get   involved, the   first  step  is  subscribing  to   the
fvwm-workers list.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].