Subject: FVWM: FvwmM4 problem

From: "Colin J. Wynne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 11:34:44 -0500 (EST)

I have recently tried to start using FvwmM4 as a preprocessor for my
rc file, and have had some problems.

First though, the reason I opted for M4 (instead of Cpp) is that I
need multi-line macro definitions.  I don't think this is possible
with Cpp, but please correct me if I am wrong...

Now, if I tell my FvwmConsole to

	FvwmM4 fvwm2rc.m4

it will happily parse the file correctly, and add all the relevant
definitions to the current fvwm2 state.  However, when I try to either 
start or Restart with

	fvwm2 -cmd "FvwmM4  fvwm2rc.m4"

I get

	[FVWM][Done]: <<ERROR>> Call of 'fvwm2 -cmd "FvwmM4 FVWMRC.m4"'
	failed!!!! (restarting 'fvwm2' instead)

and I cannot figure out why.  I am using 2.0.46, and I have been
unable to find anything wrong with m4 or the rc file which might be
the problem.  Any ideas why the -cmd invocation bombs?

Thanks,

CJW

--
**********************************************************************
    /\        Colin J. Wynne            Johns Hopkins University
   (())                              Dep't of Mathematical Sciences
  /____\   ``Lunatic-at-Large''        E-Mail: [email-masked]
 /______\   
/________\ ``If God lived on Earth, people would knock out all His
             windows.''                              ---Yiddish saying
**********************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 17:52:07 +0100

> with Cpp, but please correct me if I am wrong...

I did not try it, but cpp accepts multi line macros too (escape
the line end with a backslash).

> 	failed!!!! (restarting 'fvwm2' instead)

Never figured out why this message occurs, but in my setup
fvwm2 restarts and still uses the preprocessor.

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 11:58:58 -0500 (EST)

> fvwm2 restarts and still uses the preprocessor.

You don't need to specify the -cmd on the Restart line...

Just say:

	Restart fvwm2

And fvwm2 does the right thing.

-- 
Larry Gensch					      [email-masked]

               "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

---

From: Alexis Huxley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 18:12:37 +0000

>From the manual page:

       Restart  WindowManagerName
              Causes  fvwm to restart itself if WindowManagerName
              is "fvwm2", or to switch  to  an  alternate  window
              manager if WindowManagerName is other than "fvwm2".
              If the window manager is not in your default search
              path,  then  you  should use the full path name for
              WindowManagerName.

              This command should not have a  trailing  ampersand
              or  any  command line arguments and should not make
              .....

The 'Restart' command is *not* a way to re-execute fvwm2. It is
a way to *restart* itself, or to *execute* *other* window managers.
Since you're not re-execing fvwm2, the syntax doesn't follow exec-like
syntax.

Note that it says no command line arguments allowed.

Use 'RestartFunction' to restart modules. 

-- 
Alexis Huxley
[email-masked]
email key: 549812