Subject: FVWM: another (nice!) suggestion

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 1998 08:55:01 -0230 (NDT)

It's me again with yet another innovative suggestion:

There should be a property that could be defined in the .fvwm2rc config file
with the line:

FocusWindowStaysVisible

or something like that. What it would do is the following: say I am typing in
an xterm and launch netscape. On small screens especially, typically netscape
ends up covering the xterm window. As you are typing, you end up typing into the
window with the netscape browser (netscape takes about 15 minuts to come up on
my PC so I usually try to do something else while it launches). The same applies
to other applications, not just Netscape. So when I launch them, I don't care 
where they end up, as long as they don't cover the window that has focus (or
the window that had last focus if i am launching from a menu).

I think it's a very desirable feature, and IMHO it's just as useful in speeding
things up as "SloppyFocus". I am sick and tired of having to move windows out
of the way just cause they popup in the wrong spot (I use "Smart"Placement).
On the other hand I would hate to have to use the mous to position a window all
the time.

Please send me some feedback on this,

TIA,

Neil

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Chris <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 Oct 1998 13:06:57 +0100

Neil Zanella <[email-masked]> writes:

>	[snip]

This sounds like a nice feature, PROVIDED you could turn it off. The
inclusion of FvwmAuto in version 2 of Fvwm meant that people like me
who like autoraise, but on the very odd occasion want to turn it off
can by simply killing the module. Perhaps a module to handle your idea
would be good? And perhaps could include some intelligent window
organizing features.

regards to all,

Chris

---

From: Håvard Fosseng <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 1998 16:38:30 +0200 (MET DST)

Neil Zanella writes:

> say I am typing in an xterm and launch netscape. On small screens
> especially, typically netscape ends up covering the xterm window. As
> you are typing, you end up typing into the window with the netscape
> browser (netscape takes about 15 minuts to come up on my PC so I
> usually try to do something else while it launches). The same applies
> to other applications, not just Netscape. So when I launch them, I
> don't care where they end up, as long as they don't cover the window
> that has focus (or the window that had last focus if i am launching
> from a menu).

The way I handle this is to have Netscape start up iconic. (I use 
"Style * NoIcon"; I don't know whether an appearing icon will take focus
in an Fvwm without this configuration.)

- Håvard Fosseng

-- 
S'il fallait tolérer aux autres tout ce qu'on se permet á soi-même, la
vie ne serait plus tenable.
                     -- Georges Courteline