Subject: FVWM: How do you run fvwm?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 98 14:22:07 +0000

I have installed and done all the makes and etc. Now I have just one question
which I can't find in the faq's. 
How do you run fvwm?

Joe Fialkowski
[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Phil Romig <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 09:33:30 -0500 (CDT)

> which I can't find in the faq's. 

The answer depends a little bit on how X is installed on your system.
For most people you need a startup file, and the last thing in the
startup file should be the command to run fvwm.  A typically startup
file might look like this:

   #! /bin/sh
   /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm
   /usr/X11R6/bin/xbiff
   exec /usr/local/bin/fvwm2
   
Of course you will need to adjust the paths to point to where your
X11 and fvwm are stored.

This startup file typically needs to be called EITHER: .xsession or
.xinitrc (both would go in your home directory).

If you have something other than a basic UNIX setup you may need a more
complicated system to get your window manager to start (for example
some Windows system with X servers have very complex setup procedures).
You might check the documentation which came with your X window system.

If the above does not work for you, send me your error messages and
I will see what I can do (no promises though).

Phil
[email-masked]

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 11:18:18 -0400

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998 09:33:30 -0500 (CDT)
Phil Romig <[email-masked]> 
>    exec /usr/local/bin/fvwm2

You'll need to put all clients except the last one in the background.

> Of course you will need to adjust the paths to point to where your

Or better, just let your environment and $PATH handle it. So a trivial
startup script would be:

  xterm &
  xbiff &
  fvwm2

When X starts this script is executed. When the script finishes X quits,
so all client should be in the background, except the last one, which
is typically the window manager. So doing a quit from the wm quits X. 

> .xinitrc (both would go in your home directory).

You can start X by running xinit, which looks for .xinitrc. However,
it is generally better to run a script which sets up the X environment
correctly before calling xinit. On many linux distributions this script
is called startx, and looks for a file called .Xclients.

If you wish I can send a copy of a simplified startx script I wrote
for my own use.

If xdm is running, it will usually look for .xsession, so you
should use that instead if running xdm.

If none of this works for you let me know what platform(s) you are
using and I'll try to give more specific advice.

Ric

Richard J Lister, Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Phone: +1 202-687 2878
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].