Subject: FVWM: fvwm-2.0.46 vs. Solaris x86

From: Rob McMahon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 14:56:23 +0100 (BST)

Humble apologies if this is a repeat, I think my previous message didn't get
through.

We're running Solaris x86 HW 5/98, with DU3 (I've stuck the list of
relevant-looking patches at the bottom) on RM PC 6333 (PII/333MHz, 64MB, ATI
Rage Pro 8MB), and it all works fine, except ... fvwm-2.0.46 reliably hangs
the X server when trying to move a window off the screen (and certain other
resize operations when the window is on the edge of the screen).  I've
compiled it with gcc-2.8.1 and egcs-2.90.29, no change.  Has anyone got any
insights / suggestions on chasing this problem ?  Are we the only ones to have
seen it ?  Any comments would be well received, since people are in tears
about losing fvwm2.

Cheers,

Rob
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Patch-ID# 105182-08
Synopsis: SunOS 5.6_x86: kernel update patch

Patch-ID# 105191-06
Patch-Name: Enhancement to the support of ATI video chips
Keywords: ATI, 3D RAGE II+, 3D RAGE IIC, 3D RAGE PRO
Synopsis: OpenWindows 3.6_x86: Updated ATI video support.

Patch-ID# 105200-03
Patch-Name: Enhancement to the common portion of graphics support
Synopsis: OpenWindows 3.6_x86: Updated common video library, monitors and configuation

Patch-ID# 105209-01
Synopsis: when card not presetn the ata_open should not set the open_flag
Date: 

Patch-ID# 105211-12
Synopsis: SunOS 5.6_x86: libc & watchmalloc patch

Patch-ID# 105285-12
Synopsis: Motif 1.2.7: x86 Runtime library patch

Patch-ID# 106248-05
Synopsis: OpenWindows 3.6_x86: Xsun patch
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- 
INET:	[email-masked]		PHONE:  +44 1203 523037
Rob McMahon, Computing Services, Warwick University, Coventry CV4 7AL, England
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Rob McMahon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 16:52:18 +0100 (BST)

Time for a summary, I feel.  Thanks to the people who responded (some of whom
responded before I got the message myself), especially to Shriman Gurung,
William Austin, and David Grindrod, though the others that reported they
either did or did not have the problem also provided useful information.

The original problem:

 > relevant-looking patches at the bottom) on RM PC 6333 (PII/333MHz, 64MB,
 > ATI Rage Pro 8MB), and it all works fine, except ... fvwm-2.0.46 reliably
 > hangs the X server when trying to move a window off the screen (and certain
 > other resize operations when the window is on the edge of the screen).
 > I've compiled it with gcc-2.8.1 and egcs-2.90.29, no change.

Compiling with Sun's cc made no difference either.  fvwm is reported to work
fine on 2.6 and 2.7 with Xsun, although a) the version tried was compiled with
the Xfree86 libraries, and b) the graphics card involved was a Matrox
Millenium II.  Others have had exactly the same problem with the ATI Rage Pro
8MB, and tvtwm is reported to have the same problem, but less reproducibly.

I have grabbed the Xfree86 X server, and got it working after a bit of a fight
before I realised it wanted to write to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/compiled
(mutter, mutter ... who puts scratch directories in /usr): the problem appears
to have gone away using the same binary of fvwm2, compiled with the libraries
from /usr/openwin.  I.e. all I have done is replace the X server and the
problem has gone.

In summary, it looks like fvwm was tickling a bug in Sun's X server, which may 
be related to the graphics card in use.

Rob