Subject: FVWM: fvwm and .Xdefaults

From: "NKim Tran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 11:32:04 -0700

Hello!

I'm currently using the latest version of fvwm95 and having the problem
where fvwm95 does not recognize the settings in my .Xdefaults, namely
"clientDecoration" and "clientFunction" properties.

I would appreciate it very much if you would help me.
For different applications, I would like to have different window menus
(left hand of title bar popup selections), ie., some application windows
must have the Close/Maximize selections, some can only have the Maximize
but not the Close, etc...

If these properties are not controlled by .Xdefaults but fvwm95, could
you tell me how I can set them. I tried the "Style" option in my
.fvwm95rc but it still does not work.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.
Kim-

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 18:29:23 -0400 (EDT)

> .fvwm95rc but it still does not work.

	The properties, or window manager hints, that you're trying to set
aren't *set* by the window manager, they're set by the application (Motif
apps, mostly). They are hints that a window manager may choose to honor or
not (FVWM lets you have it either way).

	FVWM has some Style settings that control how FVWM (or FVWM95) will
treat these hints. MWMDecor instructs FVWM to honor the various decoration
hints that Motif apps sometimes use to communicate with MWM. MWMFunctions
causes FVWM to honor the hints about what functions the app wants allowed,
and not to put a Maximize or Close function, etc., on its window-op menus
if the app has set a hint to say that it doesn't like that. HintOverride
causes the "forbidden" functions to appear on the menu greyed-out, so you
know that the app doesn't want you to use them; but clicking on them will
perform the actions anyway.

	There's also an OLDecor style that causes FVWM to try to honor hints
intended for olwm/olvwm. Frankly, I've never paid much attention to this one,
so I haven't any idea how effective it is - or even what the hints are.

	So, if you want FVWM to honor the hints that the app sets, try adding
a line like the following to your .fvwm2rc (or .fvwm2rc95)  --

	Style    "*"    MWMFunctions, MWMDecor, OLDecor

	This may give you what you want, but it may not, depending on a couple
of considerations.

	First, these Style options are all-or-nothing: you can't tell FVWM to
honor this function hint, but not that one.

	Second, FVWM has no control over the setting of these hints. If a given
application sets the hints according to an X resource setting, then you can
control whether FVWM will honor them or not; but it's all up to the app. If
these Style settings have no effect, then the apps you're trying to influence
don't pay any attention to the resources you're setting.

	I hope this long-winded explanation helps you out.