Subject: FVWM: FVWM2: executeModules ERROR

From: "'Daniel' Seng Kong Yek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 23:44:32 -0700 (PDT)

I remembered that I kept getting the following warning :

#xmkmf 
mv -f Makefile Makefile.bak imake -DUseInstalled
-I/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config In file included from
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Imake.tmpl:90,
                 from Imakefile.c:13:
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/linux.cf:117: warning: `HasGcc' redefined
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Imake.tmpl:45: warning: this is the location of
the previous definition

Could it be that gcc has something to do with my problem?  How can I get
rid of this warning?

After looking at the directory structure, I wonder if deleting all other
window managers is promising.  It is hard to imagine that there is a
connection somewhere now.  Is there anybody familiar with the fvwm code
knows if conflict with other window manager can really happen?

Thanks.

Daniel.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 21:25:43 -0400
From: ajam <[email-masked]>
To: 'Daniel' Seng Kong Yek <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: FVWM: FVWM2: executeModules ERROR

This sounds like the problem that I was having.  Fvwm starts but you don't
get the modules that you are suppose to have, and maybe the colors are not
the ones you were expecting to get.  Well, what I did was to get rid every
single window manager that came with my distribution (i.e. AfterStep,
AnotherLevel, ...), including fvwm, fvwm2, ..., and reinstall fvwm or fvwm2,
alone.  Just simply go back to your distribution CDROM, and reinstall it.
Maybe this is not the full solution, but it did the trick for me.  I could be
wrong, but I believe the default 'wm' in my distribution (RH) is
AnotherLevel, which mixes different 'wm's together by modifying somewhat
their comfig files.  Again, maybe I'm completely wrong, but that is the way I
see it.  If you get rid of all the window managers and their respective
config files, and install the one(s) that you want again.  The possibility is
that everything will work out fine.  Also, I have a feeling that having fvwm
and fvwm2 installed together might produce a conflict.  Thus, just try
install one or the other.  (I hope that someone with more know-how than I
will correct me where I mess up).  Either way, that's my scoop!

Regards, ajam

'Daniel' Seng Kong Yek wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I really needed someone to help explain to me why Fvwm modules won't run
> on one of my linux system.  I hate it when this problem caused me delay of
> several weeks.  I spent way more than the time I can afford on installing
> Fvwm.
>
> I first installed fvwm-2.0.46 on a Linux machine for private use a month
> ago and tried out FvwmCDE. The installation process was smooth like a
> breeze.  Then I decided to let my users have the CDE interface using
> Fvwm2.  I repeated the same installation steps that I documented the first
> time I installed on the first machine.  This time I installed it on the
> department linux machine, which used basically the same software.  Fvwm2
> managed to run; so are FvwmTalk, FvwmDebug and FvwmAuto (AutoRise).
> However, FvwmIdent, FvwmButtons, FvwmIconMan, FvwmIconBox, FvwmPager,
> FvwmTile, FvwmWinList, FvwmScroll, FvwmGoodStuff, FvwmCDE, etc. failed to
> respond.  I'm sure that Fvwm2 found the modules as by renaming the
> modules, the same command gave different error message.  Under certain
> circumstances, I got messages like the following in ~/.xsession-errors :
>
> [FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> Execution of module failed:
> /var/X11R6/lib/fvwm2/FvwmCommandS
> No such file or directory
>
> I don't understand at all what the second message is about.  The file was
> definitely found.
>
> When I placed a debugging print statement in the DeadPipe signal handler
> routine, my debugging message appeared in .xsession-errors, which showed
> that the module was executed and the pipe was somehow not working.  Or
> other problem may have happened and Fvwm2 closes the pipe to the module.
>
> Later I installed the same softwares on yet another linux machines and
> after a small problem of permission setting, I can run the software
> perfectly too.  So, why this single machine wouldn't work?
>
> Due to this, I pain-takingly reinstalled X, which costed me yet 2 days
> messing around with the monitor resolution, definition and stuffs.
> Finally, when X was running, I tried Fvwm2 again.  Still the same modules
> were not working.  I tried intalling fvwm-2.0.45 and fvwm-2.0.46 multiple
> number of time and I got the same result.
>
> What is this mysterious failure is about?
>
> If anybody can suggest a way to help debug this problem, please do send a
> copy of the reply directly to me.  I really appreciate this.  Thanks.
>
> Daniel.
>
> --
> Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
> To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
> message to [email-masked].
> To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].