Subject: FVWM: FVWM loosing keybindings

From: Ivo Janssen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 10:00:23 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I posted this message to c.o.l.x, but I got no reply:
Any here any idea?

Hello,

I sometimes find myself losing keybindings such as "META-LeftButton"
in a window is "Move", CTRL-ArrowLeft is "Scroll Screen Left". You
know em.
I suspect Netscape from doing this. I don't know why, I just have that
feeling.....
It's very annoying, and restarting fvwm2 doesn't help.
Only logging out and in, so that fvwm2 gets "cold-started" helps.

Is there anything I can do to this?

Please email any help!

Ivo Janssen

--
+-------------------+--------------------------------+-+     +---+
| IVO JANSSEN       | [email-masked]        | |     |   |
| Ricardishof 1/428 | [email-masked]   | |   |-+   |
| 2614 JE Delft     | elektron.et.tudelft.nl/~ivo/   | +->-|    (|)
| the Netherlands   | Dept of Electrical Engineering |     |-+   |
| +31-15-2855973    | Delft University of Technology |       |   |
+-------------------+--------------------------------+      --- ---

  Part of the world largest computer!
  http://www.distributed.net/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Teemu Hirsimaki <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 11:53:22 +0300 (EET DST)

> in a window is "Move", CTRL-ArrowLeft is "Scroll Screen Left". You

I am not sure if this is the cause of problem, but next time you lose
the keybinding, check if you have numlock on.

-- 
Teemu Hirsimäki
[email-masked]

---

From: Ivo Janssen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 15:28:09 +0200 (CEST)

In response to myself:

> Only logging out and in, so that fvwm2 gets "cold-started" helps.

It seems that checking the numlock key indeed fixes the problem. 
Who would suspect that Numlock is some sort of "Modifier". I'd
like to see this in some sort of FAQ (if it isn't already, in which
case I should RTFM better). Or remove the stupid "feature" from fvwm,
make it an option like "NumLockTrigger [true|flase]"

$0.02

Ivo

---

From: Lee Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Sep 1998 14:38:48 +0100

Ivo Janssen <[email-masked]> writes:

> case I should RTFM better).

In the FAQ included in the distribution of fvwm-2.0.46

> 42) Why do NumLock and CapsLock interfere with ClickToFocus and/or my
>    mouse bindings?
>
> A: Because they are treated as modifiers.
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------

Which is i'll admit not exactly the world's most detailed response but
it does answer the problem ...

RTFM again I'm afraid ;)

Lee.
-- 
Lee Willis
GBDirect Ltd, 27 Park Drive, Heaton, Bradford, UK, BD9 4DS
Tel: +44 (0)1274 772277

---

From: Jim Knoble <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 11:27:42 -0400

Actually, it's not fvwm which treats NumLock as a modifier, but the X
server which does.  It's something that changed in X11R6.something.

--jim

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% jim knoble %%%%%%%% [email-masked] %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

På 1998-Sep-14 klokka 15:28:09 +0200 skrivet Ivo Janssen:

: Who would suspect that Numlock is some sort of "Modifier". I'd
: like to see this in some sort of FAQ (if it isn't already, in which
: case I should RTFM better). Or remove the stupid "feature" from fvwm,
: make it an option like "NumLockTrigger [true|flase]"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ivo Janssen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 09:34:35 +0200 (CEST)

> > A: Because they are treated as modifiers.

That's why I didn't find it. When I loose keybindings, I'm not going
to search through a FAQ for words like "Numlock" or "Modifier".
Hmm, "mouse bindings".... Forgot that. Maybe the question should be
rephrased to something like:

42) How can I restore keybindings or mousebindings when they don't work
    anymore for no apparent reason.

A: Probably you pressed Caps-Lock or Num-Lock, which X (and fvwm
also, then), treat like modifiers. Press 'm again and your bindings
will work again.

Ivo