Subject: FVWM: need more docs to configure fvwm2

From: "Jose Cavazos" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 01:27:53 -0500

Where on the internet can I get more doc help on configuring the
Anotherlevel version of fvwm2 ?? and the fvwm95 window style ??
I want to change the menu options and add apps.  I also want to
change the defaults of window icons. ...etc.

I heard about gnome and kde- who's the best?? (Don't know much)

Which are the most popular (and best) X11 window managers??

Also, is fvwm going to be gnome-compliant someday??

Thanks!!

Jose' 

ps- I use Redhat Linux 5.1

---

From: ToyKeeper <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 12:22:06 -0600

> Jose Cavazos wrote:

> change the defaults of window icons. ...etc.

What I always do with RedHat systems, before doing anything else, is get
rid of AnotherLevel.  Your milage will probably vary, though.  But I'd
recommend installing the most recent Fvwm (fvwm-smr-2.0.46.4), and
ditching the RedHat desktop setup.  You'll need to modify many files in
/etc/X11 to do this, though.  The /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc is useful, as
is /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients, and /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession.  Be sure to back
things up first!  :)

Personally, I've set up my system so that users can choose which window
manager they want to use.  If they have a $HOME/.wmrc, the system will
ask them which window manager they want to use.  Otherwise, they get
Fvwm.

> I heard about gnome and kde- who's the best?? (Don't know much)

It's not really a good question right now.  Eventually, gnome should be
better; but it's not developed far enough yet.  KDE does more,
currently, but many people boycott it because it has some odd legal
problems.  I'm using neither, because I'm having difficulty compiling
gnome on my old slackware system.  :)  Anyone know where to get the
dynamic linking libraries?  (libdl, libdld, ...)

> Which are the most popular (and best) X11 window managers??

Most popular:  Enlightenment.  However, it's mostly useless at the
moment because it's in pre-alpha.

Besides that, AfterStep, Fvwm, and WindowMaker seem popular.  Look at
this site for more info:
http://www.PLiG.org/xwinman/

My opinion is that Fvwm is by far the most useful at the moment, but a
lot of people like the NeXTStep look so much that the reduced
flexibility doesn't matter to them.

Enlightenment is still popular, but only because it's so amazingly
pretty to look at.  It really isn't usable yet as a window manager.

> Also, is fvwm going to be gnome-compliant someday??

Yes, probably.  Look at the "FwvmGnome" project.

 _  _ _  _ ___ ___  -----------"Use the source, Luke!"---------
( \/ ( \/ (__ (__ ) | ~  Scott Scriven (Toy Keeper / XYZZ)    |
 \  / \  /  //  //  | mailto:[email-masked]           |
 /  \ / /  //_ //_  | mailto:[email-masked]         |
(_/\_(_/  (___(___) | http://www.vis.colostate.edu/~scriven/  |
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].