Subject: FVWM: Key Bindings

From: Bob Ruddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 14:01:59 -0400 (EDT)

I am having trouble and can not find sufficent documentation on how to
bind modules and commands to the Function keys. I would also like to be
able to bind a module or command to Alt+Fx. I would like these bindings to
work independatly of were the mouse is located in the screen. I have tried
some lines like this in my .fvwmrc file. I have not gotten it to work. I
am use RedHat-5.1 Thanks for your help.

Key F1 R N Popup "Utilities"

Thanks again

			Bob Ruddy
			[email-masked]
			http://www.ecl.udel.edu/~ruddy
			http://udel.edu/stu-org/linux

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Toy Keeper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 12:32:31 -0600

> Key F1 R N Popup "Utilities"

Try this, instead:

Key F1		A	M	Raise
#Key F1		A	M	Popup "Utilities"
Key F2		A	M	Popup "Window"
Key F3		A	M	Lower

 ... and so on...

The "A" means "all contexts," so it'll work regardless of focus or mouse
position.  The "M" is "Meta", so it really is Alt-F1.  You should be
able to change this to C for control, or N (I think) for no modifiers.

Then again, I could be wrong.  I just know what works for me.  :)

 _  _ _  _ ___ ___  -----------"Use the source, Luke!"---------
( \/ ( \/ (__ (__ ) | ~  Scott Scriven (Toy Keeper / XYZZ)    |
 \  / \  /  //  //  | mailto:[email-masked]           |
 /  \ / /  //_ //_  | mailto:[email-masked]         |
(_/\_(_/  (___(___) | http://www.vis.colostate.edu/~scriven/  |
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Tiefenback <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 17:23:37 -0400 (EDT)

> > Key F1 R N Popup "Utilities"

I discovered something I consider curious when I tried this to see whether
it worked for me.  I invoked 

Popup "Utilities"

from the FvwmTalk module and all worked well (I, too, have a menu named
"Utilities").  I then used FvwmTalk to make the key binding

Key F1 A N Popup "Utilities"

(to make the key active everywhere instead of just the root window) and
all worked well, as long as I was in the root window.  When I moved into
any process window, however, the Utility menu did not pop up.  I used the
menu from the root window to pop another terminal and I found that the F1
key would work within that terminal, but not in any window which already
existed at the time the key binding was applied! (at least, _I_ think it
was worth an exclam).  Key bindings can be hidden in this way when people
are toying with their configs.  A Recapture makes the F1 binding active
everywhere.  I hope this helps somewhat.

Michael Tiefenback