Subject: FVWM: Resize handles?

From: Vikas Agnihotri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 13:09:43 -0400

Using fvwm2.0.46

Is there any way I can get a larger resize area around window borders? Let
me explain:

I have FvwmAuto and FocusAutoRaise set. SO when my mouse moves into another
window, it is raised and given focus.

If 2 windows overlap and I want to resize the top window, I move my mouse
to any of the window borders and wait for the cursor to change to the
'resize' cursor. There is a _very_ narrow margin where the cursor does
this. Too far and it becomes the root cursor, too little and it stays at
the window cursor!

I kinda like the Windows approach where it becomes a double headed arrow so
that I have plenty of margin.

Am I making any sense?

Thanks,
Vikas
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 06 Aug 1998 14:19:45 -0400

%% Vikas Agnihotri <[email-masked]> writes:

  va> Is there any way I can get a larger resize area around window
  va> borders?

Look in the manual for the BorderWidth style attribute.  Make it bigger.

(is that what you wanted?)

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     These are my opinions--Bay Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Vikas Agnihotri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 14:59:12 -0400

> (is that what you wanted?)

Not exactly. I changed this to 100! and didnt see any perceptible
difference.  So this must not be what I am looking for. I am talking about
plain old xterm, which has its own title-bar, border, etc. 

Say I want to resize it by dragging any one of its 4 sides. I want a larger
margin of "dragging" area. Right now, I have to precisely position the
mouse to get the special resize cursor so that I can start dragging.

Thanks,
Vikas

---

From: "Eddy J. Gurney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 15:16:59 -0400

On Aug 6 at 14:59, Vikas Agnihotri wrote:
,--
| > %% Vikas Agnihotri <[email-masked]> writes:
| >   va> Is there any way I can get a larger resize area around window
| >   va> borders?
|
| > Look in the manual for the BorderWidth style attribute.  Make it bigger.
|
| Not exactly. I changed this to 100! and didnt see any perceptible
| difference.  So this must not be what I am looking for. I am talking about
| plain old xterm, which has its own title-bar, border, etc.
|
| Say I want to resize it by dragging any one of its 4 sides. I want a larger
| margin of "dragging" area. Right now, I have to precisely position the
| mouse to get the special resize cursor so that I can start dragging.
`--
You need to look at the HandleWidth attributes for handled windows.
BorderWidth is for windows that just have borders and no handles. :-)

Eddy

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 06 Aug 1998 16:21:43 -0400

Oh, right.  HandleWidth.  Yeah, that's the ticket.

Well, anyway, one of those widths will do what you want, Vikas... keep
trying!

---

From: Vikas Agnihotri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 19:14:45 -0400

> Well, anyway, one of those widths will do what you want, Vikas... keep

Not really. HandleWidth 10 does indeed give me a chunky border around the
window but the problem remains. the cursor changes to the resize cursor
only in the last couple of pixels (and the chunky border looks ugly to
boot!) 

BTW, isnt there a double-headed arrow cursor like in Windows that I can use
during resizing? 

Also, I cant seem to shrink a window without first expanding it by atleast
a pixel! I guess thats why the resize cursor points outwards, eh? Seems
like a silly limitation.

Vikas

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 20:43:00 -0400

> only in the last couple of pixels (and the chunky border looks ugly to

Doesn't work that way for me, I'm using fvwm2.0.46 as downloaded from
the fvwm site.

> BTW, isnt there a double-headed arrow cursor like in Windows that I can use

You can use any X cursor for any context  controlled by fvwm2, see the
fvwm2 man page, "CursorStyle".

> a pixel! I guess thats why the resize cursor points outwards, eh? Seems

Doesn't  work that way for  me.   In my case, I  have  resize bound to
button 1 on the handles.  As I enter a handle, from any direction, the
pointer (cursor) changes to a right angle with  an arrow pointing into
it.  This resize pointer  stays this way  as I move the pointer around
within the handle.  The wider I make the handle, the  more room I have
to  move around.  As  soon  as I depress the  button,  a 1  pixel wide
resize  frame appears around   the window.  As  I  move the mouse, the
resize frame smoothly follows the pointer in any direction I move it.

An  execption is  rxvt, and  I assume xterm,  which   resize in little
jumps.  This comes from these applications only  wanting to be resized
to certain sizes.  (Multiples of the character size.)

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Alan F. Ho" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 22:15:27 -0400 (EDT)

This is a work-around rather than a solution, but for what it's worth, you
might try putting something like

Mouse 2         W       CM       Resize

in your .fvwmrc. This line lets you resize a window by starting a
click-and-drag from _anywhere inside a window_, dragging until you hit a
margin and then resizing it. (As it is set above, one must use the second
mouse button while holding down both the  control and meta key). This
works on maximized windows as well.

Hope this helps.
Alan

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 07 Aug 1998 00:47:36 -0400

>> Well, anyway, one of those widths will do what you want, Vikas... keep

  va> Not really. HandleWidth 10 does indeed give me a chunky border
  va> around the window but the problem remains. the cursor changes to
  va> the resize cursor only in the last couple of pixels (and the
  va> chunky border looks ugly to boot!)

Nope, that's not at all how it works for me.  As soon as my cursor
touches the border, from any direction, it changes to an arrow

  va> BTW, isnt there a double-headed arrow cursor like in Windows that
  va> I can use during resizing?

Dan answered this already.

  va> Also, I cant seem to shrink a window without first expanding it by
  va> atleast a pixel! I guess thats why the resize cursor points
  va> outwards, eh? Seems like a silly limitation.

Again, this doesn't happen to me.  I can shrink/expand at will, without
first moving the opposite direction.