Subject: Re: FVWM: Re: KillModule question (with answer!)

From: Michael Tiefenback <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 22:59:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Patrick K. wrote:

> > ->    Clicking on the "back arrow" or "Close" button would
> > ->    kill that particular instance of the FvwmButtons module
> > ->    named "fbServers".
> > 
> > look at 
> > 
> > http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/software/fvwm/wharf
> 
> 
>    Yes, it was mentioned that I was describing the FvwmWharf
>    behavior by another reader.
>
>    Two reasons I do not want to go that route:
>    Thanks all for their informative replies!
>    I appreciate every comment I received!  :)

It is enough that you don't want to go there.

After a little manpage reading and trying things out (they don't quite do
what I expected from the man page) I got this:

*FvwmButtons3 KillModMe xterm.xpm KillModule FvwmButtons3
*FvwmButtons3 KillMe xterm.xpm Close
*FvwmButtons3 (Title Kill, Icon term.xpm, Action (Mouse 3) Close)

which is manifested by the command
FvwmButtons FvwmButtons3

I expected the first button to do a FvwmButtons3 kill.  However, it does
not.  This is presumably because fvwm2 knows the FvwmButtons instance with
FvwmButtons3 definitions by some name other than FvwmButtons3.  Invoking a
KillModule FvwmButtons
through FvwmTalk, both my initial FvwmButtons and the FvwmButtons with the
"3" definitions were swept away.  This is probably a bug/feature in either
fvwm2 or in FvwmButtons -- probably fvwm2.

The second button invokes the Close mechanism and gives me the little
skull_and_crossbones emblem.  A second click without moving the mouse
kills the associated button bar.

The third button gives me a curious response.  Clicking with Mouse 3 gives
me the skull_and_crossbones.  However, mysteriously, clicking with mouse 1
gives me in instant deletion of the window.  This is the magical
wished-for response from the initial poster.

The fvwm2 manpage doesn't say Close or Delete takes an optional argument
($0 would be nice in this case), and indeed it is correct (:^).  Maybe it
should.  In any case, I see the commonly used (motif-ish) double-click
option for window-bound menus making an implicit assumption that Delete is
to be applied to the current window.  I don't know why I get the
inconsistent behavior.  It might be clearly apparent from the source, but
I haven't looked.

> 
> Patrick ...
> --
> Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
> To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
> message to [email-masked].
> To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].
> 

Michael Tiefenback

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].