Subject: FVWM: Screen-edge behavior

From: ToyKeeper <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 09:38:14 -0600

Hello..

Are there any patches out there to change the behavior of EdgeScroll and
the root menus in 2.0.46?  If not, which files should I modify?  (I'm
using fvwm-2.0.46-smr)

I want to change EdgeScroll to only scroll when the mouse is dragging a
window, or when a hotkey is pressed..  No scrolling just by touching the
screen edge..  (but the "magnetic screen edges" produced by
EdgeResistance is very nice :)

The other change I'm looking for has to do with clicking at the screen
edges.  For me, this always brings up a root-window menu, regardless of
what window the mouse is really in.  This is annoying, because it
prevents me from resizing maximized windows..

Thanks.  :)

 _  _ _  _ ___ ___  -----------"Use the source, Luke!"---------
( \/ ( \/ (__ (__ ) | ~  Scott Scriven (Toy Keeper / XYZZ)    |
 \  / \  /  //  //  | mailto:[email-masked]           |
 /  \ / /  //_ //_  | mailto:[email-masked]         |
(_/\_(_/  (___(___) | http://www.vis.colostate.edu/~scriven/  |
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Eddy J. Gurney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 13:23:54 -0400

On Aug 6 at  9:38, ToyKeeper wrote:
,--
| The other change I'm looking for has to do with clicking at the screen
| edges.  For me, this always brings up a root-window menu, regardless of
| what window the mouse is really in.  This is annoying, because it
| prevents me from resizing maximized windows..
`--
I complained about this also. It is definitely very annoying. It is like
the mouse button clicks always "see" the root window at the edges, even
if another window is overlapping it. (i.e., if a window frame as at the
bottom edge, you cannot grab the bottom edge and resize the window.)

What I did to fix it was to change this line in fvwm.h:

#define PAN_FRAME_THICKNESS 0

It may or may not do what you want...

Eddy

---

From: ToyKeeper <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 17:36:53 -0600

Thanks!  That fixed my root-menu-at-screen-edges problem, and I managed
fix the mouse-paging problem, too.  If you comment out one of the
HandlePaging()'s in events.c, the mouse will scroll the screen only when
dragging a window.  However, this seems to generate some trivial fvwm
internal errors; so it's not a good solution for non-private use.