Subject: FVWM: REQUEST: Plop-Down Windowshade, et al.

From: Patrick Rogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 23:16:31 -0400

Here's an idea for ya!

Add a flag to the Windowshade function to enable this:  When the mouse
rolls over a windowshaded titlebar, the window temporarily unshades,
then reshades when the mouse rolls off the window again.  By rolling
over the titlebar, you suddenly have access to the whole window until
you're done, then just leave the window.  Some sort of feedback needs to
be determined for unshading the window while it's in it's temporary
"preview" mode.  Maybe flash the window's border, or something.

This would make fvwm2's windowshade more functional than anyone else's!

-----------------------

Adding this to the iconify'ed windows could also be useful.  When they
plop-up in to "preview" mode, they appear wherever the icon was.  When
you uniconify the window (say by clicking on the iconify button again in
the titlebar), it pops back to it's uniconified position.

Just don't turn these features on by default, or the Novice user could
go crazy :)

-----------------------

If wharf-like features are added to the fvwmbuttons, it would be a good
candidate for this plop-up function as well.  (e.g.. if the fvwmbuttons
could be "minimized" into a single button sitting in a corner of the
screen)  Just roll over it, and instant access!  Shaped buttons would be
a problem here, though :(... unless there was a small (user definable) 
delay on the reshade event.

~p@
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 12:08:48 -0400 (EDT)

> "preview" mode.  Maybe flash the window's border, or something.

I sorta like this, but it would also be a good idea to add an UnShadeTime
so that it waits a few seconds before unshading (say 1ms?), otherwise
people whom veer their mouse around all the time will have unnecessary
unshadings...

> This would make fvwm2's windowshade more functional than anyone else's!

I don't think this should be the goal... to just be more functional... it
should be functional period. 

> Just don't turn these features on by default, or the Novice user could

I totally agree, I think these features will never be useful for me,
however they sound like good ideas :)
			-peace

--- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK ------------+-----------
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) | "In the morning glad I see
P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K? w++++  |  My foe outstrech'd beneath the tree."
O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5   |               -The Poison Tree
X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>*  h*(!) r-  |                William Blake
y*(+) ------ END GEEK CODE BLOCK -----+

---

From: Pat Rogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 13:18:55 -0400

>> I don't think this should be the goal... to just be more functional... 

I agree, but what I was implying was that windowshade is already
functional, this next step would be a little more innovative than what
some of the other wm's are doing.  

(btw: "next step" was not a pun...)

Consider having all your Gimp pallets automagically shaded (or
iconified), plus this roll over function. That would be a perfect
example of how this could be extremely useful.

~p@

-- 
Patrick Rogan
-----------------------------------
Systems Engineer

Lycos, Inc.
1 Oxford Centre
301 Grant Street, Suite 525
Pittsburgh, PA   15219-1408
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].