Subject: FVWM: Icon order in WinList

From: "Dr. G. Buerger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 13:23:39 +0100

Hi,

everytime I (re)start fvwm2 I get a new Icon order in WinList. I have
no clue if there is any rule to this.

Is it? - If so, I would like to have my own.

	Gerd
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 12:43:07 -0400

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998 13:23:39 +0100
"Dr. G. Buerger" <[email-masked]> 
> Is it? - If so, I would like to have my own.

Without looking at the source I would guess that winlist just dumps
out the stack of windows in the order they were reparented by fvwm.

You could try using FvwmIconman, which will sort the list, and can also
give different lists for different applications.

Also, the Perl module interface X11::Fvwm comes with an example winlist
replacement PerlTkWL, which you could hack around with to provide exactly
what you require. If you don't speak Perl, let me know what you're after
and maybe I'll do it for fun :-) 

See  http://www.byz.org:80/~randy/perl/X11::Fvwm/

Ric

Richard J Lister, Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Phone: +1 202-687 2878
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 23:45:26 -0400 (EDT)

> out the stack of windows in the order they were reparented by fvwm.

        Yes, Ric, that's what happens; and no, Gerd, there's not a
provision for specifying a sorting order to WinList.

        The re-ordering sounds like the old Fvwm-alters-the-stacking-
order-on-restart problem. My StackingOrder patch (in unofficial_patches)
corrects this, among other things, for 2.0.46.