Subject: FVWM: innovative toggle-window feature

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 20:59:25 -0230 (NDT)

Hello,

Is everyone familiar with the AfterStep application that one activates by

clicking on a window's titlebar and the whole window disappears leaving the 

titlebar there. I am not a fan of that utility, but it has inspired me to

think about something similar:

A click of a titlebar (this would have to be done through a binding of course)

causes the titlebar to stay in the same place but causes the window to disappear

and reappear in an upright position above the titlebar.

Advantages over the AfterStep utility: it is a quick way of seeing what is under 
the screen and getting a window out of the way, but you can still see the 

window's contents. On the other hand in AfterStep you cannot know which of

6 toolbars all labelled "xterm" is which and I find that a little annoying, and

I find that the AfterStep application is there not so much for the feel but for

the look.

Another advantage of my scheme is that you can work with windows with

the titlebar on the bottom, and I would just love it... you could also

have two windows occupy the (almost) exact same spot, onw with titlebar above

and one with titlebar below. Moving the mouse and using the autoraise modules

allows you to swap windows while leaving both titlebars visible.

|---------------------------------------------------|
| titlebar 1                                        |
|---------------------------------------------------|
| overlapping windows 1 and 2 ...                   |
|                                                   |
|   switch back and forth by moving the pointer     |
|   to each (this only works with FvwmAuto)         |
|   and by no means would this be the only use of   |
|   the feature.                                    |
|                                                   |
|---------------------------------------------------|
|          titlebar 2                               |
|---------------------------------------------------|

Best Regards,

Neil Zanella
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Patrick Rogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 05:53:17 -0400

It would be intersting to be able to selectively have titlebars on the
bottom of windows -- either dynamically, or via the Style command. 
However, I think that this should be a seperate function that
compliments the windowshade function you described.

Most Style commands have a "style-option/oppositestyle-option" pair. 
Maybe all of these commands could have a 'toggle-option' varient as well
(or add a toggle modifier like so:

	Mouse 1 T A Toggle ClickToFocusDoesntRaise
). 

BTW: I am VERY happy to see that windowshade works properly in fvwm2! 
I'm definately staying with this wm!

~p@

---

From: Martin Cartwright <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 11:02:13 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Patrick Rogan wrote:

->It would be intersting to be able to selectively have titlebars on the
->bottom of windows -- either dynamically, or via the Style command. 
->However, I think that this should be a seperate function that
->compliments the windowshade function you described.
->
->Most Style commands have a "style-option/oppositestyle-option" pair. 
->Maybe all of these commands could have a 'toggle-option' varient as well
->(or add a toggle modifier like so:
->
->	Mouse 1 T A Toggle ClickToFocusDoesntRaise
-> 

I'd just like to bring up an issue from waaaay back that is related.
Years ago now a patch was posted that put title-bars on the sides of
the windows.  I used to have a screenshot of this but I had to delete
it for space reasons. At the time it was only possible to specify all
your windows to have titlebars down the sides, and the drawback then
was that the text was not rotated and so looked a bit messy. 

What I would like to see implemented (big wishlist item this) is to
have the option to have a title bar wherever I want it. I would find
this useful when, for example I am editing a bunch of files with long
names. Because my text editor is taller than it is wide on the screen
there's more room down the side of the window than across the top.
However, I don't want xterm windows to have side title bars as I found
that it was inconvenient having the title bar next to the scroll bar
(what can I say, my aim is very bad)... 

Just a suggestion    ;)

Marty 

--
[email-masked] --- http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~imc/vom.htm

    "Sponges grow in the ocean ... I wonder how much deeper    
          the ocean would be if that didn't happen."

---

From: Pat Rogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 11:51:03 -0400

I agree that titlebars on "any surface" would be cool (and useful) even
if it's not a critical function.  

Also, shaped (or squeezed) titlebars (the kind that shrink down to just
the width of the text in the title) are very useful for tiling windows.

On my Mac, i use shaped titlebars and windowshade together to shade
several windows all on the same line. Since their titlebars are 1/3 the
size of the window, they can overlap and have still have their full
titles visable.  It saves quite a bit of screen space.

This is called "SqueezeTitle" in twm.  There's also a "DontSqueezeTitle"
so that you can selectively turn this off on a per window basis.  It's a
very powerful feature when combined with windowshade.  But I understand
the possible extent of recoding to make this happen...

~p@

-- 
Patrick Rogan
-----------------------------------
Systems Engineer

Lycos, Inc.
1 Oxford Centre
301 Grant Street, Suite 525
Pittsburgh, PA   15219-1408
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].