Subject: RE: FVWM: FvwmCommandS Problem

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 22:37:48 -0400 (EDT)

Toshi Isogai <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Bob Woodside wrote:
> 
> > 
> >         I'm still at a loss to know what's happening. I grabbed Toshi's
> > 1.5 version and installed it, and everything still works fine on my system.
> > Duhhh...
> > 

	Well, Toshi, it would seem that I spoke too soon. The new FvwmCommandS
(1.5) starts up just fine, and will respond to simple commands, but not quite
everything still works fine.

	I use a little script to cause Fvwm to re-read .fvwm2rc without restarting.
Here is the pertinent part of the script:

    #  If we found the pid of an active FvwmCommandS, order a reconfig.
    if [ "$FPID" != "" ]; then
      FvwmCommand "Read $RCFILE" "Recapture"
      sleep 5s
      FvwmCommand -w 0 "KillModule FvwmCommandS";
      fi

	What happens now is that only the first command arg gets executed, whereas
formerly both did. I also tried splitting the first command into two, i.e.,

      FvwmCommand "Read $RCFILE"
      FvwmCommand "Recapture"

but it makes no difference. You can keep sending things to fvwmCommandS with
FvwmCommand, but FvwmCommandS doesn't seem to send anything else to Fvwm after
the first command. (Needless to say, in this example, the crippled FvwmCommandS
just hangs around till I kill it, because it doesn't send the KillModule
requesting its own demise. Er, did you insert a Survival Instinct option into
this version?)

	I still haven't figured out how to reproduce the symptoms others have
reported, but there does seem to be some breakage in this version. Any idea
what might be going wrong?

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Toshi Isogai <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 17:44:23 -0600 (MDT)

> what might be going wrong?

       FvwmCommand "Read .fvwm2rc" "Recapture"  
 	
This works for me. It must be your $RCFILE. Do you get the same result 
with something simple?

----------------------------------------------------------
Toshi Isogai    [email-masked]