Subject: FVWM: term and background xpm

From: Dominic Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 21:47:22 -0400

Hi,

I am trying to get a background xpm in an xterm like application. 
I am currently using fvwm-1.24r.  I thought that could be done with
rxvt-2.20, at least the man page for rxvt mention the option for the
resource file 

*backgroundPixmap:

or the

 -pixmap:

 option  but I am having no success with these?  Can some one help
 me on this? 

Cheers

-- 
==========================================================
Dominic Mitchell      Email: [email-masked]
Economic Department          mailto:[email-masked]
Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario      
Canada, K7L 3N3	      Running Linux Redhat 5.0	
==========================================================

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Martin Cartwright <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 12:08:16 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Dominic Mitchell wrote:

->
->Hi,
->
->I am trying to get a background xpm in an xterm like application. 
->I am currently using fvwm-1.24r.  I thought that could be done with
->rxvt-2.20, at least the man page for rxvt mention the option for the
->resource file 
->
->*backgroundPixmap:
->
->or the
->
-> -pixmap:
->
-> option  but I am having no success with these?  Can some one help
-> me on this? 
->

As far as I know there's only one version of rxvt that supports
background pixmaps. It was hacked by someone a couple of years ago. If
you want it you can get it from my web site.

http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~imc/tar-files/

have fun

Marty

--
[email-masked] --- http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~imc/vom.htm

    "Sponges grow in the ocean ... I wonder how much deeper    
          the ocean would be if that didn't happen."

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 07:28:04 -0400 (EDT)

Martin Cartwright <[email-masked]> wrote:
> background pixmaps. It was hacked by someone a couple of years ago.

	I believe that the mainstream rxvt introduced pixmap bg
support a while back.

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 11:16:55 -0400

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998 07:28:04 -0400 (EDT)
Bob Woodside <[email-masked]> 
> 	I believe that the mainstream rxvt introduced pixmap bg

Indeed it did, but you have to explicitly compile in xpm support.
Type 'rxvt -help' and the top of the output should look a little like
this:

  $ rxvt -help
  Usage v2.4.6 : (XPM,menubar,.Xdefaults)
  ...
                  ^^^

If the "XPM" is missing you'll need to recompile. Grabe the latest
version (v2.4.6) from
  http://babayaga.math.fu-berlin.de:80/%7Erxvt/distribution.html
and make sure you run configure with the '--with-xpm' option
('./configure -help' for more details).

If you still have problems there is an rxvt list (see web page).

You can either use X resources or an invocation like this to
set the pixmap:

  rxvt -pixmap "file.xpm;100"

On my webpage I have a very simple Perl script to pass random pixmaps
to rxvt (or any random argument to any program), like this:

  random -d ~/lib/pix rxvt -pixmap "%s\;100"

The script replaces the %s with the name of a random file from the
directory ~/lib/pix/.

You might also look at eterm (http://www.tcserv.com/Eterm/), a hack of
rxvt by the Enlightenment crowd.

Cheers
Ric

Richard J Lister, Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Phone: +1 202-687 2878
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominic Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 11:59:22 -0400

>>>>> "rl" == Richard Lister <[email-masked]> writes:

Thanks and many thanks again!

rl> If the "XPM" is missing you'll need to recompile. Grabe the latest
rl> version (v2.4.6) from
rl>   http://babayaga.math.fu-berlin.de:80/%7Erxvt/distribution.html
rl> and make sure you run configure with the '--with-xpm' option
rl> ('./configure -help' for more details).

I had compiling problems, say reading problems!  I just look back at
the INSTALL file which mention the use of ./configure --help ! It
took me a bout a 5 minutes to get the thing working with background
xpm after your post!  Thanks also for your input on how to use the
option.

Cheers