Subject: FVWM: FvwmCommandS problem

From: Vikas Agnihotri <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 14:23:51 -0400

I have put 

+ "I" FvwmCommandS

in my InitFunction as well as RestartFunction but when fvwm2 (.0.46) starts
up, the FvwmCommandS module is not started up. I either need to restart
fvwm2 or use the 'Modules' menu to start FvwmCommandS.

What is wrong?

Thanks,
Vikas
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 20:48:04 -0400

> fvwm2 or use the 'Modules' menu to start FvwmCommandS.

If you can start it during restart, or from a  menu, but not from your
init function, I think you should show us the whole InitFunction.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 01:45:43 -0400 (EDT)

> fvwm2 or use the 'Modules' menu to start FvwmCommandS.

        Er, FvwmCommandS is a module, not an Fvwm command. Try the command
"module FvwmCommandS" instead of just "FvwmCommandS" and I think you'll have
better luck.

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 07:21:36 -0400 (EDT)

On 30-Jul-98 Bob Woodside wrote:

>           [ blather-blather, "module FvwmCommandS", etc. ]

        On second thought, my answer doesn't sound quite right. If I recall
correctly, if Fvwm doesn't recognize a command it falls back to looking for
a module of that name. So maybe Dan's right, we need to see the whole
InitFunction. (But give my suggestion a try anyway.)

        Do you get any error messages on the console at startup, like
squawking about the ModulePath or anything?

---

From: Vikas Agnihotri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 08:37:04 -0400

> init function, I think you should show us the whole InitFunction.

AddToFunc "InitFunction"    "I" Exec xsetroot -solid lightpink3
+                           "I" Exec xsetroot -cursor_name iron_cross
+                           "I" Module FvwmAuto 500
+                           "I" Module FvwmPager 0 0

AddToFunc "RestartFunction" "I" Exec xsetroot -solid lightpink3
+                           "I" Exec xsetroot -cursor_name iron_cross
+                           "I" Module FvwmAuto 500
+                           "I" Module FvwmPager 0 0
+                           "I" Module FvwmCommandS

Then towards the end of the .fvwm2rc file, I extend the function as
follows:

AddToFunc InitFunction	"I" Desk 0 0
+		"I" Exec xterm -geometry 80x45+2145+1 -name News
+		"I" Exec xterm -geometry 80x35+47+15 -name Email -iconic
+		"I" Exec xterm -geometry 81x44+2061+726 -name Pumbaa
+		"I" Exec xterm -geometry 80x27+2287+844 -name Pumbaa
+		"I" Exec xterm -geometry 80x44+6+4 -name Pumbaa
+		"I" Function Decorwin95
+		"I" Module FvwmCommandS

Does it matter that I am splitting the InitFunction definition? The other
commands in the InitFunction are fine. I do indeed get all my xterms and my
Win95 decor.

As I said, I also have the following modules menu. FvwmCommandS works fine
when I launch it from:

AddToMenu "Module-Popup" "Modules" Title
+ "Buttons"	 	Module FvwmButtons
+ "Clean-Up"		Module FvwmClean
+ "Task bar" 		Module FvwmTaskBar
+ "Identify"		Module FvwmIdent
+ "Save Desktop"	Module FvwmSaveDesk
+ "Pager"		Module FvwmPager 0 0
+ "Command Server"	Module FvwmCommandS

> squawking about the ModulePath or anything?

No.

Thanks,
Vikas

---

From: Toshi Isogai <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 09:30:34 -0600 (MDT)

> +		"I" Module FvwmCommandS

You can isolate the problem if you change your InitFunction to just one
line invoking FvwmCommandS. 

-----------------------------------------------------
Toshi Isogai    �볭����

KENTEK Information Systems
[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 14:37:25 -0400 (EDT)

On 30-Jul-98 Vikas Agnihotri wrote:
>> ...I think you should show us the whole InitFunction.

                [snip]

        Ok, I'm stumped! I tried duplicating your setup (including the 
pumbaa's, which show up in very strange places, given my desktop geometry!),
but I can't make FvwmCommandS fail to start up. It works just fine from
either the InitFunction or the RestartFunction (and no, it doesn't matter 
that the InitFunction definition is discontiguous).

        There may be something quirky about your Decorwin95 function - I
didn't even try to guess at what it might be doing.

        If you'd like, send me a copy (preferably as an attachment, not 
pasted inline) of your entire .fvwm2rc file, and I'll see if I can test it
this weekend on my system. (This is probably not of general interest to the
mailing list, so you should probably just send it to me, unless Dan or Toshi
express an interest in seeing it also.)