Subject: FVWM: FvwmButtons needs Wait option

From: Chris Heath <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 17:21:24 -0400 (EDT)

I am trying to get my FvwmButtons buttons to un-depress when a window
appears.  But I can't find any way to do it.  Please let me know if I'm
overlooking something.

For many of my buttons, I don't just want to Exec.  I want to run a
function which does an Exec followed by a Focus and/or a WarpToWindow.
But it seems that I can't do that as well as getting the button to pop up
when the window appears.  The code I'm using is:

AddToFunc ExecAndFocus "I" Exec $0
+                      "I" Wait $1
+                      "I" Prev [$1] Focus
...
*FvwmButtons(Title Mail, Icon mail2.xpm, Action `Function ExecAndFocus
"xterm -g 80x30 -T Pine -n Pine -e pine -i" Pine`)

So here's my suggestion:  it would seem logical to make the first
(optional) parameter to Exec a separate option, so that it can be used
with other FVWM commands, like say adding a Wait option:

*FvwmButtons(Title Mail, Icon mail2.xpm, Action `Function ExecAndFocus
"xterm -g 80x30 -T Pine -n Pine -e pine -i" Pine`, Wait "Pine")

My second suggestion is to allow wildcards in the window name. At the
moment, I'm having to do this:

*FvwmButtons(Title "Netscape", Icon netscape3.xpm, Action `Exec "Netscape:
Version 4.04 [en]-97308" netscape`)

But my guess is that the window title will change the next time my system
administrator updates Netscape.  Why not this:?

*FvwmButtons(Title "Netscape", Icon netscape3.xpm, Action `Exec
"Netscape*" netscape`) 

(In fact the standard Wait command could do with that enhancement too.)

Chris Heath

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].