Subject: FVWM: Restart bug?

From: Vikas Agnihotri <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 09:24:53 -0400

Using fvwm2.0.46 on Solaris 2.5.1

Unable to reproduce this consistently, but many times fvwm2 simply freezes
upon restarting. All the windows are de-iconified, stripped of decorations
(titlebars, etc) and fvwm2 simply hangs. I have to resort to extreme
measures to come back to normal (kill the X server).

Anyone else?

Thanks,
Vikas
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 10:17:32 -0400

> measures to come back to normal (kill the X server).

it doesn't sound like fvwm2 is hung, this is what your display would
look like with no window manager running.

Look for a core file.  If its an fvwm2 core file, obtain a stack trace
and post the stack trace to this list.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Vikas Agnihotri <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 11:46:40 -0400

> and post the stack trace to this list.

Thats what I thought too. I did look for a core file, but there wasnt any.
Any other ideas.

Vikas

---

From: Michael Tiefenback <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 12:18:58 -0400 (EDT)

I have experienced hangups in starting X/fvwm2 on my Linux box, but they
are generally my fault.  I diagnose them by looking at the virtual
terminal output.  I am using ssh-agent to invoke xinit (bypassing startx
because I want to run with -auth options and it hasn't worked through the
std startx script; no I haven't done what the startx comments say
internally and rebuilt the script to fix my problems).

What I saw before I got my .Xauthority file set up correctly was a raft of
"can't connect to display" messages from fvwm as it tried to connect to
the display without the proper magic cookie codes.  Such errors don't
leave the mouse hung up, though.  It should be an interesting diagnostic
pointer, if someone's mouse is frozen.  I have had Netscape do (I think) a
server grab and freeze my X display for activities, but I can still move
the mouse.  I haven't disabled the Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace hotkey for killing
the X server, so I use that for getting out of this problem.  I can also
use the Shift-Alt-F? keys to get to the other virtual terminals on a Linux
system to try to determine what is happening if I can't tell from error
messages on the VC from which X was started. 

Hope this helps, but it isn't at all fvwm(2) specific.  Back to background
mode.....

Michael Tiefenback

---

From: Nix <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 00:51:42 +0100 (BST)

> Thats what I thought too. I did look for a core file, but there wasnt any.

I had problems wih fvwm2 when I turned on XPM support; fvwm2 basically 
hates old versions of libXpm, and indicates its hatred by instantly
dumping core. The symptoms, though, are an X server that dies rather
than hanging around, but I suppose this depends on your xinitrc rather 
a lot.

-- 
`It is inelegant and it was hacked on. But it was hacked on with
 careful consideration.' - PLA on perl and OO
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].