Subject: FVWM: FvwmButton problem

From: luis fernandes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 14:57:52 -0400 (EDT)

(First, let me just say that yes, I've read FAQ #10.)

We've just installed fvwm2 as the default wm in the EE department and
are using the FvwmButtons module.

Our biggest problem is:

1) Win95 users who double-click the buttons and unintentionally end
   up having 2 applications running. 

2) Multiple invocations of a single application because some
   applications (netscape, matlab maple (symbolic math package)) take
   about 30 seconds to start-up; i.e. for the window to be mapped on
   the screen. Users click once, after 3 seconds nothing happens so
   they click again...and again...

So, basically, we need a solution to 1) prevent multiple applications
starting-up when the user clearly did not intend it. I thought about
playing with the double-click time, but this will interfere with
other things like de-iconifying. (Killing the students is not a
solution, their tution fees pay my salary.)

2) fvwm to give some indication that an application is starting until
the time when the window is mapped on the desktop.

I remember someone posting some fvwm2rc code with the buttons bound
to a function called Raise-Or-Exec which exec'd an app if it wasn't
already running otherwise raised the app-window. (I lost the post.)
Does someone have code that does this? It would alleviate the problem
somewhat.

The only suggestion I can offer is that having a timeout of xxx
seconds on a button would help; i.e. a new app will run only xxx
seconds *after* the button was last pressed. This can be implemented
via the XtAddTimeout() function. 

Perhaps, a "watch" cursor indicator when the mouse is on the
buttonbar would be nice (until the window has been mapped).

Please email me any suggestions you may have.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Hermes, Stefan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 10:04:25 +0100

How about using a wrapper around the applications, which checks  if they are
already running in $MAXCOUNT instances, with maxcount an parameter
for the wrapperscript?

	Stefan

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	luis fernandes [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Thursday, July 16, 1998 8:58 PM
> To:	[email-masked]
> Subject:	FVWM: FvwmButton problem
> 
>