Subject: FVWM: How to get PID(s) from Window ID ?

From: Marc Bechler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 12:34:15 +0200

Hi all!

I need urgent help from an fvwm2 insider, because the man pages could not 
help me :-(

What I need is a mapping between the Window ID and the corresponding PID(s) 
of the processes of this window. My concrete scenario: If I push a (new 
defined) button in the title bar of a window, I like to echo all the 
processes related to this window; e.g., if an MPEG-Player with PID 1142 is 
running in the window with the ID 0x20004, I would like to know how I can 
map the Window ID to the PID.

Thanks for helping me !!!

 marc
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 16:09:35 -0400

> Thanks for helping me !!!

This has been sitting in my inbox for a while, so  I forget if someone
else gave an answer.

My own opinion is that the connection between processes and windows is
flexible enough that there is no way to make the connection.

Certainly, if the window is created from  a remote system, the PID may
not  even  exist.  (The  window  may  not even be   created  by a UNIX
system.)

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].