Subject: FVWM: Wine question

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 23:56:51 -0700

Hello all, I recently noticed something odd. Wine, when it opens a new
window managed by the WM, is supposed to set the class resource to
"Wine." Under fvwm 2.0.43->2.0.47b with Wine's from a year ago to
current versions, FVWM doesn't seem to catch this. For a long long
time I thought Wine just neglected to set this, but after reading some
source yesterday it looks like it does try to set "Wine."

Has anyone got any idea why this is happening? I use FvwmIdent and my
Wine windows come back with NoResource and NoClass. Trying to Style
"Wine" is also futile. I've run RH Linux 4.1 for a long time now, with
Accelerated-X 2.1 and fvwm-2.0.43 and up. I've also tried various
releases of Wine over the past year.

I really don't know much about Xlib else I'd try to figure this out
myself. Well, I'll probably try anyway, but don't expect to make much
progress. Anyway, any insight would be appreciated.

Also, I noticed that unmanaged Wine windows are Sticky and StaysOnTop,
which I didn't realize was not supposed to be the case. Any ideas on
that one either? Apparently it's the same deal under IRIX 4Dwm, for
unknown reasons. I'll also be asking the wine newsgroup, but if anyone
here's knowledgable about wine, I thought it'd be worth a shot.
_____
Michael Han ([email-masked])                     voice: (415) 502-7542
Interactive Learning Center Consultant                        (415) 476-4309
San Francisco, California 94143-0840                     fax: (415) 476-4653
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "I drank what?"

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Jose' Manuel Pereira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 10:54:44 +0100 (WEST)

"MMH" == Michael M Han <[email-masked]> writes:

  MMH> Also, I noticed that unmanaged Wine windows are Sticky and StaysOnTop,
  MMH> which I didn't realize was not supposed to be the case. Any ideas on
  MMH> that one either? Apparently it's the same deal under IRIX 4Dwm, for
  MMH> unknown reasons.

"unmanaged" means "the WM doesn't know about these windows". Such windows, of
of course, will behave as if you set "Sticky" -- fvwm doesn't unmap -- and
"StaysOnTop" -- apparently such windows are always left at the top of the
window stack...

As for the class/resource names, is there a difference if you start
"wine -managed"?

--
 Jose' Pereira				 		Tel. +351.1.841 9340
 DEEC - Dep. of Electrical and Computer Engineering	Fax. +351.1.841 7499
 Instituto Superior Tecnico - Technical University of Lisboa
 Av. Rovisco Pais - 1096 Lisboa Codex - Portugal
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Joseph Kwok <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 10:34:39 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

	When i try to compile the FVWMTaskbar module, it includes a
-rdynamic option, my gcc does not recognise it, what is that option for?

	Further, when it compiled to CheckLockModule, there was a fatal
error on relocations remain against allocatable but non-writable sections,
does anyone know what's going wrong?

Thanks

Joseph Kwok