Subject: FVWM: Moving the pager?

From: Vikas Agnihotri <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 13:51:39 -0400

I have 'FvwmPager 0 0' all by itself, not part of FvwmButtons in the lower
right corner of my screen.

Why am I unable to move the pager by click-dragging on the title? Something
special I need to do?

Thanks,
Vikas
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 14:56:02 -0400

> Why am I unable to move the pager by click-dragging on the title? Something

Most people have something like this in their .fvwm2rc:

Style "Fvwm*" NoTitle,Sticky,WindowListSkip

which would suppress the titlebar on the pager.
The pager has its own "title" which is not a titlebar.

You should be able to tell the difference.

I don't know of any reason why you wouldn't be able to move the pager
with its titlebar, if you told fvwm2 to assign one to the pager.

If you don't have a titlebar on the pager, you should be able to move it
a number of different ways.  My favorite:

# Button 2 with Meta (diamond), moves window: dje
Mouse 2         W       M       Move

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Vikas Agnihotri <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 16:14:47 -0400

> You should be able to tell the difference.

(grin) Obviously not. I was mistaking the pager title for the title bar. I
gave Style FvwmPager Title and indeed got a title bar using which I was
able to click-drag move the pager.

> # Button 2 with Meta (diamond), moves window: dje

Cool. Works like a charm.

Thanks,
Vikas

---

From: Vikas Agnihotri <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 16:20:12 -0400

> Cool. Works like a charm.

Small problem with this recipe.

In a xterm, when I do this with my mouse anywhere in the window, the move
works fine, but when I release the mouse buttons (1+3 since I am using a 2
button mouse to simulate Button 2), the current primary selection gets
pasted into the xterm! 

I understand that it is happening because Mouse 2 in a xterm is mapped to
paste the current selection, but this is  certainly a unexpected side
effect and could be dangerous if I am running a curses-based application
that interprets the pasted characters as commands!

Comments?

Thanks,
Vikas

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 16:52:58 -0400

> that interprets the pasted characters as commands!

Get a 3 button mouse,  or use button 1 or 3.

"Meta Button 2" should never be seen by the xterm. fvwm2 will not pass
the "Meta-button  2" onto the client.  Something  is wrong.  From this
distance, I can't tell if its your fingers, your X-window emulator, or
something else.

I just tested this using "xev".  Sure  enough, xev, sees Meta button 1
and 3,  but never sees  button 2.   It does  see the "meta"  key being
pressed and released, but button 2 is completely invisible to it.

Try the same (xev) with your 2 button mouse.  Notice if the underlying
application sees both the press and release events.

---

From: Vikas Agnihotri <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 17:39:48 -0400

> application sees both the press and release events.

I tried the 'xev' and it sees the meta key being pressed and released. When
I press and hold down meta and click 1+3 (=2), it does see the press and
release events (for button 2). 

Since the move window is working, fvwm is seeing it. And since it acts on
it, my xterm client shouldnt see it, right? Unless fvwm is passing it
along. What is wrong here?

Thanks,
Vikas

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 23:14:02 -0400

> along. What is wrong here?

Its my understanding that if  fvwm2 passed on  the buttonpress, to the
application, it would be marked "synthetic" and you  would see that in
"xev".  I don't  believe fvwm2 does that under  any  condition.  Which
version of fvwm2 did you say you were using?  Any patches applied?