Subject: FVWM: maximize/maximize vertical works incorrectly

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:54:35 -0230 (NDT)

Hi,

I am using the Maximize/Maximize vertical functions in fvwm but when
I type them it seems like my windiws get almost maximized vertically but
not quite. Usually I use text based Xterms.

Is this some sort of bug in fvwm?

Thanks,

Neil

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 10:49:48 -0700

Previously...
>Is this some sort of bug in fvwm?

Probably not. I see the same thing and never regarded it as a bug.
Anyway, since xterm uses fixed-width fonts, its geometry
characteristics aren't done by the pixel, but rather by character
columns and rows. Doing a maximize 0 100 (for example) on an xterm
will make it as tall as it can be without growing beyond the desktop
size. This usually leaves a spare pixel or ten.
_________
mike ([email-masked])
Hamsters cannot fly
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 1998 19:08:21 +0000

> Is this some sort of bug in fvwm?

xterms wont maximize fully because xterm windows only resize by steps of
character size. If you want it to fill the whole screen you'll have to try
values like 101 instead of 100, etc and/or change the border size.

-Joe
``"There are no bugs in fvwm, just pleasant surprises!''