Subject: FVWM: Re: Window Managers???

From: reset <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 11:22:18 -0700

>I am beginning to suffer from acronym overload. I use fvwm2.

Yea!

>I downloaded scwm (touted as the successor to fvwm) but could not get it
>to do button bars or a pager. Then I inquired about Enlightenment but
>was told it was resource hungry compared to fvwm. Now I see conversation
>about Gnome and how to do gnome-like things with fvwm. What is Gnome and
>what are itst strenths & weaknesses?

I'm not sure about SCVWM except that it exists,  

Enlightenment is a Fvwm Hack ( a very nice one ) that
allow custom window frames shaped icons etc etc etc, resource hungry 
but very pretty, als some say that it can be hard to configure.
www.enlightenment.org

Gnome is not a window manager, it is a Desktop Suite, consisting of a
"taskbar", file manager
admin applications and productivity applications, ( they have ported fun
ones too :),  it
provides a consistant look and feel between apps, session management,
applets.  It has
no specific window manager base, Miquel uses olvwm, raster use
Enlightenment, I use fvwm with it.
www.gnome.org

>More generally is there a path forward from fvwm2 that incorporates the
>critical functions (button bars, pagers, menus) but does not chew up
>more resources than fvwm2? Or should I ignore the static and just stick
>with fvwm2? 

Fvwm2 provides all of these, FvwmPager, FvwmButtons, and the menus are
configurable from the .fvwm2rc file..

>(I'm a little nervous. Previously I bet on Honeywell, Univac, OS/2 and
>the Tandy 6000 :-(  )

well, at least fvwm/gnome/enlightenment are free :)

>-- 
>John R. Culleton, Jr.  [email-masked]
>Sykesville, MD 21784 U. S. A.
>(410) 795-1159

Ron Pugh
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Chris Rode <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 13:45:23 -0500 (CDT)

> but very pretty, als some say that it can be hard to configure.

This is, technically, not true anymore.  Enlightenment, in its first
incarnation was based on fvwm2.  However, since that time, it has
undergone a complete grounds-up rewrite, and is currently undergoing
another one.  So, while it originally was a fvwm hack, it is not any
longer. :)  Just a technicality.

--chris.

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 15:16:32 -0400 (EDT)

> I'm not sure about SCVWM except that it exists,  

SCWM is the most recent FVWM2 hack.... from what I can tell it basically
replaces the internel configuration language with the scheme language.

> but very pretty, als some say that it can be hard to configure.

Enlightenment (E) originally started as an fvwm2 hack, but then was
rewritten completely from scratch... I know this because I can't make
heads or tails of the internal language :)

> Enlightenment, I use fvwm with it.

Are these commands included with RedHat 5.1? I installed it last night
with all the GNOME options, but I don't know where all the commands/stuff
is.
			-peace

--- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK ------------+-----------
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) | "In the morning glad I see
P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K? w++++  |  My foe outstrech'd beneath the tree."
O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5   |               -The Poison Tree
X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>*  h*(!) r-  |                William Blake
y*(+) ------ END GEEK CODE BLOCK -----+