Subject: Re: FVWM: text copy & paste

From: Yan Jianxin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:43:29 +0800 (SGT)

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Chris Siebenmann wrote:

>  FVWM isn't involved in screen text selection/copy/paste/etc.
>  FVWM is purely a window manager; it manages the appearances
> of windows on the screen. The actual X programs manage (or not,
> as the case may be) cut&paste&etc.

Imaging such a case: to use your mouse to select some texts in 
Netscape window, then point the mouse to a xterm window and 
double-click it, the selected texts are to be pasted. who handles
such kind of pasting operation?

I know there is definitely a mechnism to enable such kind of
selection/copy/paste BETWEEN X applications, just like in 
Win 95/NT or DEC Unix.

How has it been implemented in FVWM, or in Linux X11 according
to you? 

Thx.
> 	- cks
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: brian moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 21:33:52 -0700

> such kind of pasting operation?

Both Netscape and Xterm.

> How has it been implemented in FVWM, or in Linux X11 according

Netscape 'owns' the selection and xterm asks for a copy of it.
The two are allowed to argue about what sort of selection would
be passed.  (Usually it is just text, but programs like xmag and
pixmap allow XPixmaps to be passed.)

FVWM doesn't get to play in that exchange: it is between the
two clients how to pass things and even the format in which it is
passed.

-- 
Brian Moore                             Kill A Spammer For Jesus
Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker, Usenet Vandal 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].