Subject: FVWM: another feature request

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 22:08:11 -0230 (NDT)

Hi,

I would like to suggest a generalization of Emacs' follow mode
concept to fvwm. Most of you are probably already familiar with 
follow-mode <http://www.csd.uu.se/~andersl/follow.shtml>.
For those of you who are not, I will briefly explain the concept:

Two windows A and B are opened, both showing the same file, image,
or application. The bottom of window A is the top of window B.
Hence scrolling in window A causes window B to scroll as well.

We could have the same situation with N windows.

By opening enough windows one can get a better view of the application
they are looking at, and can also display full pages of postscript on
a small screen with no need for scroll bars.

Perhaps this is a somewhat strange though useful feature.
fvwm would be the first window manager to offer it.

Neil

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Jun 1998 08:17:40 -0700

> fvwm would be the first window manager to offer it.

The only way I can see to do this is with FvwmScroll, and I don't know how
well it would work. 

-- 
 Brady Montz
 [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 12:31:44 -0400

> The only way I can see to do this is with FvwmScroll, and I don't know how

I don't think this is an FvwmScroll issue, I  think the request is for
something like:

# Keypad 3 key w. control scrolls 2 windows:
Key KP_3 W C Scroll2windows

AddToFunc Scroll2windows "I" GenerateXEvent "scroll-forw"
+ "I" Next [?] GenerateXEvent "scroll-forw"

Of   course there is  no  Fvwm2,  "GenerateXEvent",  and how you would
figure out which other window had to be scrolled isn't clear (to me).

Or, instead  of generating an X  Event, the keystroke  could be passed
thru to  both  windows.  (FWIW, generating X   Events and passing thru
keystrokes are not things I'm particularly knowledgable about.)

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 16:19:41 -0230 (NDT)

Hi, 

I am glad to hear that perhaps it would be possible to add this feature to fvwm 
and that it seems doable. Plus, I think some people would find it handy.

> figure out which other window had to be scrolled isn't clear (to me).

Well, the two or more windows related by this follow-mode like feature (I leave the name of the feature up to the devloper) would have to change to the same
frame color as defined by HiBackColor when the mouse points to either one of 
them. Selecting either of the multiple windows will then be equivalent.

As far as starting the windows that use this feature, this could either be
done by making a selection from the menus or by using an Fvwm Module wheeby
by selecting the module through the menu, pointing to the desired window,
and then clicking, would result in a second related window of the same frame
color.

> keystrokes are not things I'm particularly knowledgable about.)

Sounds good to me.

Neil