Subject: FVWM: Problem

From: Rimas Antanas Svarcas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 16:21:47 -0400 (EDT)

When attempting to install Fvwm2, I'm encountering a couple
problems.  First and foremost, the compile always fails for lack of the
file libfvwm2.a, which for some unfathomable reason the makefile
searches for two directories back.
 
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../../libs/libfvwm2.a', needed by...
 
   This file is nowhere on my drive and it can't be built, so I'm
wondering where I'm supposed to get it.  The FAQ and BUGS don't mention
this type of an error, and the web page doesn't mention any files
necessary to install fvwm2 other than fvwm-2.0.46.tgz, so I'm assuming I
didn't miss any files?
 
    The other "feature" is that for some only the shell script
MakeMakefiles actually works -- attempting to make Makefiles after xmkmf
only results in the make getting dizzy by jumping into and out of every
directory and claiming "there's nothing to do!".

    Ideas?  Suggestions?  Comments?  Insults?  Keep 'em coming...
 
    Laterz,

     -Remington
      [email-masked]

  Those whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Albrecht Kadlec <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Jun 1998 11:07:49 +0200

> necessary to install fvwm2 other than fvwm-2.0.46.tgz, so I'm assuming I

did you do a 'make' or a 'make install'.
the former does make the library, while the latter does nothing in the 'libs'
directory, and keeps complaining about the missing library in all other
directories. 

>     Ideas?  Suggestions?  Comments?  Insults?  Keep 'em coming...

don't know about that. 'make Makefiles' always worked for me, although

fvwm-2.0.47b> rm libs/Makefile*
rm: remove `Makefile'? y
rm: remove `Makefile.bak'? y

fvwm-2.0.47b> make Makefiles
making Makefiles in libs...
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/boole/albrecht/bin/tools/fvwm-2.0.47b'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/boole/albrecht/bin/tools/fvwm-2.0.47b'
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/boole/albrecht/bin/tools/fvwm-2.0.47b/libs'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `Makefiles'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/boole/albrecht/bin/tools/fvwm-2.0.47b/libs'
...

fvwm-2.0.47b> ll libs/Mak*
-rw-r-----   1 albrecht vta         17378 Jun 30 11:03 libs/Makefile

so this one's new although make said 'nothing to do'.

name it a BUG ?

>   Those whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad.

yep.
-- 
Albrecht Kadlec
Vienna University of Technology / Department of Automation
----------------------------------------------------------
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep.	-- Shakespeare: Hamlet
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].