Subject: FVWM: colors, etc...

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 18:42:27 -0230 (NDT)

Hi,

Is there anything besides the sample config file and the man
pages that will explain how to customize a window manager such as fvwm?

I in my .fvwmrc in the "set up the colors" section there is stuff like

HiBackColor            #c06077

StdBackColor           #60a0c0

etc ...

I know how to use the showrgb command and use the xcolors program to see
the various colors but I don't know how to interpret these alphanumeric
codes for colors nor do I know where to find a more complete list than
that given by showrgb, nor do I know what the numbers on the left are when
I give the showrgb command.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,

Neil Zanella
[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Sam Krishnabhat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 14:23:17 -0700 (PDT)

Neil Zanella sez...
> I in my .fvwmrc in the "set up the colors" section there is stuff like

i think these contain three components. Just like way in following.

240 255 255             azure1

They may be hex equivalent of the above interpretation.

> I give the showrgb command.

Have yo looked at this: /usr/openwin/lib/rgb.txt
-sam

---

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 19:06:21 -0230 (NDT)

> They may be hex equivalent of the above interpretation.

I was thinking that that might be the case, but was not sure.
So what are the valid strings?

> Have yo looked at this: /usr/openwin/lib/rgb.txt

On my system it's /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt

I believe this is the same thing as the output of the showrgb command
except that the first line sais:

! $XConsortium: rgb.txt,v 10.41 94/02/20 18:39:36 rws Exp $

---

From: Martin Cartwright <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 12:16:31 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Neil Zanella wrote:

-> Hi,
->
->Is there anything besides the sample config file and the man
->pages that will explain how to customize a window manager such as fvwm?
->
->I in my .fvwmrc in the "set up the colors" section there is stuff like
->
->HiBackColor            #c06077
->
->StdBackColor           #60a0c0
->
->etc ...
->

What other people have said is true, so to sum up...

colours specified by #c06077 etc are RGB specified. It breaks down
like this:

#rrggbb

where rr is the hexadecimal form of a number between 0 and 255 which
defines the amount of red in the colour. being hexadecimal means
instead of going 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10,11,12,....etc  it goes
0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f,10,11,12, so 10 in hexidecimal is
actually 16 in decimal. 3b in hexidecimal is 3*16+11 (b=11).

the gg, and bb are just the same as rr but specify the amounts of
green and blue repectively. Hope this makes sense.. 

--
[email-masked] --- http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~imc/vom.htm

    "Sponges grow in the ocean ... I wonder how much deeper    
          the ocean would be if that didn't happen."