Subject: Re: FVWM: fvwm2 - xv can't grab screens

From: Chris Siebenmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 18:14:53 -0400

| I've found that xv doesn't work properly with 24-bit packed visuals.
| 32-bit works, but 24 doesn't. xwd does work, but xv has the same
| problem displaying 24-bit xwd files as it does with 24-bit screen
| captures!

 This is probably not an issue of the visuals but of the supported
pixmap formats. XFree86 breaks away from a pack of other X servers in
supporting only a 3-byte 24-bit depth pixmap format when the display is
in packed-24bit mode, which causes problems with a number of programs
(including xanim, where I first saw this). Most other X servers
operating in this mode support a 4-bytes-per-pixel mode and do internal
4->3 conversion.

 I can confirm that xv is capable of working fine on a 24-bit-packed
display if there's a 4-byte-per-pixel pixmap format (I just tested it).

	- cks
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].