Subject: FVWM: two dimensional menu bars

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 20:52:21 -0230 (NDT)

Hi,

I would like the feature of two dimensional menu bars to be incorporated in
fvwm.

The room I am writing from consists of 60 PCs or so, arranged acroos the room
in rows of 10, all networked of course. By using a menu bar I can have a window
pop up so that I can run a process on the machine I wish.
However, 60 entries don't fit well vertically and it would be nice if the 
menu I chise from was a 2 dimentional array, reflecting the arrangement of 
the PCs in the room.

Neil

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Jun 1998 16:59:41 -0700

Neil Zanella <[email-masked]> writes:

> The room I am writing from consists of 60 PCs or so, arranged acroos the
> room in rows of 10, all networked of course. By using a menu bar I can have
> a window pop up so that I can run a process on the machine I wish.  However,
> 60 entries don't fit well vertically and it would be nice if the menu I
> chise from was a 2 dimentional array, reflecting the arrangement of the PCs
> in the room.
> 
> Neil

Sounds like a reasonable idea. Does anybody want to take a stab at it?

-- 
 Brady Montz
 [email-masked]

---

From: "Patrick K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 19:34:28 -0700 (PDT)

> Sounds like a reasonable idea. Does anybody want to take a stab at it?

   I assume the person taking on this task would make it
   configurable so that the menu items could be arranged in
   any number of columns (ie. not limited to 2 columns).    :-)

   Other than that sounds like a good idea,

Patrick K.

---

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 00:35:56 -0230 (NDT)

>    any number of columns (ie. not limited to 2 columns).    :-)

Of course.
Any number of rows and columns would have to be aloowed. :-)

---

From: Pete Forman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 09:21:47 +0100

Are these really needed?  Existing menus can be organized in a number
of ways including

   1) Upper menu of 6 choices leading to lower menus of 10 choices
      each.
   2) Menus with 11 choices of 10 leaves and More.

(2) can quickly fill your screen if that is what you seek, especially
if the More button is at the top of the list.

Alternatively an instance of FvwmButtons may be a better approach to
managing the 60 PC's.  That may be iconized or kept in its own desk.
-- 
Pete Forman
Western Geophysical
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 09:12:24 -0230 (NDT)

>    2) Menus with 11 choices of 10 leaves and More.

Yes but this would mean I would have to create menus called row 1,
row2, ..., row 6. Plus I would like to see some horizontal menus
as well since they would reflect better the way the PCs are arranged 
throughout the room.

> if the More button is at the top of the list.

The More button? Please introduce me to this feature.

> managing the 60 PC's.  That may be iconized or kept in its own desk.

I don't have this in my man pages either. You must be running fvwm2.

Neil

---

From: Pete Forman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 13:15:58 +0100

> The More button? Please introduce me to this feature.

My shorthand for a menu entry labeled "More ..." or similar which pops
up another menu.

 > > Alternatively an instance of FvwmButtons may be a better approach
 > > to managing the 60 PC's.  That may be iconized or kept in its own
 > > desk.
 > 

As are most of the subscribers to this list, I suspect.  GoodStuff was
the rough equivalent of FvwmButtons in fvwm1.

The point was that a menu is rather limiting for what you may want to
do.  It would allow you to do just one action.  You can configure
FvwmButtons to lay out the 60 buttons however you see fit, perhaps
with extra blank buttons to match the physical topography.  You would
then have the option to assign different actions to different mouse
buttons and modifiers.  Indeed you could do something like swallow an
xload for each PC into its button.
-- 
Pete Forman
Western Geophysical
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 09:55:17 -0230 (NDT)

> xload for each PC into its button.

And is it possible to have different FvwmButtons applications, say two,
on the same desktop.
Also, can FvwmButtons launch another FvwmButtons onto the desktop, ie.
can we have nested FvwmButtons?

Thanks,

Neil

---

From: Pete Forman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 13:36:38 +0100

Neil Zanella writes:
 > And is it possible to have different FvwmButtons applications, say
 > two, on the same desktop.

Yes.

 > Also, can FvwmButtons launch another FvwmButtons onto the desktop,
 > ie.  can we have nested FvwmButtons?

Yes.  More efficiently, a button may be a Container which simulates
one FvwmButtons module within another.
-- 
Pete Forman
Western Geophysical
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 08:50:50 -0400 (EDT)

> And is it possible to have different FvwmButtons applications, say two,

Yup.  I do it all the time.  I have one instance called
"TaskBarButtons" (my task bar) and another one called "XtermButtons".

You just simply need to call the buttons some name:

	Module FvwmButtons XtermButtons

and then give the properties by name:

    *XtermButtonsFore		Black
    *XtermButtonsBack		#c0c0c0
    *XtermButtonsFont		-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-*-70-*-*-*-*-*-*
    *XtermButtonsGeometry	-1-31
    *XtermButtonsColumns	4

    *XtermButtons(4x8, Swallow "Fvwm Pager" "FvwmPager 0 3")
    *XtermButtons(Size 34 10, Title system1, 
	    Action 'Exec rsh sys1 /usr/bin/X11/xterm -ls -display $HOSTDISPLAY')
    *XtermButtons(Size 34 10, Title sys2, 
	    Action 'Exec rsh sys1 /usr/bin/X11/xterm -ls -display $HOSTDISPLAY')
    *XtermButtons(Size 34 10, Title sys3, 
	    Action 'Exec rsh sys1 /usr/bin/X11/xterm -ls -display $HOSTDISPLAY')
    *XtermButtons(Size 34 10, Title quit, 
	    Action 'Next [CirculateHit "XtermButtons"] Close')

This gives a nice little button block that consists of a pager and
four buttons underneath it, including a QUIT button that causes the
XtermButtons to close.  The geometry (-1-31) makes it sit on the
bottom right corner, just above my TaskBarButtons.

> can we have nested FvwmButtons?

A button on FvwmButtons can launch another set of buttons.

For instance:

    *XtermButtons(Size 34 10, Title "Other...", 
	    Action 'Module FvwmButtons OtherButtons')

Or, a set of buttons can be included within a set of buttons using the
"Container" keyword.  See the man page for FvwmButtons that comes with
fvwm-2.0.46.

-- 
(void) lar3ry();                                      [email-masked]

     "Sometimes it happens.  People just explode.  Natural causes."

---

From: Pete Forman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 14:03:08 +0100

Pete Forman writes:
 > You would
 > buttons and modifiers.
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sorry about that, I didn't bother to RTFM.  FvwmButtons currently
allows one action per mouse button only.  That action may to be pop up 
a menu, so you can effectively bind many things to one button.
-- 
Pete Forman
Western Geophysical
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Albrecht Kadlec <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Jun 1998 09:53:25 +0200

>  > then have the option to assign different actions to different mouse

there's a dirty hack to get 7 functions per button (posted several times)
hopefully, someone will make it a feature.

My only problem is, how to remember them.
-- 
Albrecht Kadlec
Vienna University of Technology / Department of Automation
----------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].