Subject: FVWM: running fvwm

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 21:46:36 -0230 (NDT)

Hi,

I am on a small LAN with NFS.
Suppose I install fvwm in my home directory.
Will I then be able to run it from anywhere I want or
will I still have a problem since in reality my home directory
will be located on a remote machine, except for there is NFS?
Will I be able to run fvwm from any PC/X Terminal on campus?

Thanks,

Neil Zanella
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 08:58:37 -0400 (EDT)

you will not have aproblem running it from your home directory at all as
for running it on an machine that depends, if they are all the same
architecture then there should be no problem.  if they are different
architectures then you will need one binary and set of modules for each
platform.

Brad

> Will I be able to run fvwm from any PC/X Terminal on campus?

--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous

---

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:08:11 -0230 (NDT)

But what about if I use a true dummy X Terminal?
What happens then? Can I still run fvwm from my home directory.
For example, if i open a "new telnet" window then can I just run it by typing "exec fvwm"?

Thanks,

Neil Zanella
[email-masked]

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 11:54:21 -0400

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: FVWM: running fvwm
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:08:11 -0230 (NDT)

> For example, if i open a "new telnet" window then can I just run it by typing "exec fvwm"?

A window manager is just an X client like any other. So if you have
your X terminal set up correctly and can display things like xterm and
xclock on it, then yes, you should be able to display fvwm too.

In fact, some X terminals have their own window manager in the firmware
(for example, ncdwm is a stripped down mwm on NCD terminals). They
are made available as a way of reducing load on the host running your
X clients. However, there is no requirement to use such a wm.

Ric

P.S. Note to fvwm folks. I am seeing a lot of questions around here
from newbies that have a hard time figuring out what is going on with
all the disparate components of X. I get similar questions from my
users at work. I certainly remember being an X newbie myself and trying
to figure out what the hell was going on with my HP machine: which of my
.mwmrc, .Xdefaults, .xinitrc, etc etc, files I needed to change to achieve
certain results.

So I'm thinking of writing a FAQ to cover such things. What is X, what's
the terminology, what are the common WMs and their config files, and
where to find the answers to all this stuff. Does anyone have pointers
to similar projects that I can work from?

Like I don't have enough stuff to do already :-)  Sigh ...

Richard J Lister, Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Phone: +1 202-687 2878
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:58:51 -0400

> to similar projects that I can work from?

Try Kenton Lee's site: http://www.rahul.net/kenton/index.shtml

There links to all sorts of information about X, including a FAQ.

> Richard J Lister, Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and ...

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].