Subject: FVWM: fvwm-2.0.46 question: annoying xterm style...

From: Tigran Aivazian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 10:19:37 +0100 (BST)

Hello guys,

I always wanted to ask this -- how do I (or is it possible to) change the
style of xterm or do some fvwm2 magic to ensure the following behaviour:

whenever I make an xterm (nxterm, xterm-color, etc) active either by
selecting from the TaskList or by clicking on it through the FvwmPager I
want it's window to come on top instead of letting FvwmButtons stay there.
I always have to click on the caption to bring it to the top -- which is
slightly annoying.

Otherwise -- fvwm2 is a great window manager -- I was using it for a very
long time and still am very happy :)

Regards,

-----------------------------------------------------
Tigran A. Aivazian           | http://www.sco.com/
Escalations Research Group   | Email: [email-masked]
Santa Cruz Operation Ltd     | 
United Kingdom               |

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 10:43:14 -0400 (EDT)

> I always have to click on the caption to bring it to the top -- which is

First create two useful functions in your .fvwm2rc:

    DestroyFunc	"FocusAndWarp"
    AddToFunc	"FocusAndWarp" \
      "I"	Raise
    + "I"	Focus
    + "I"	Iconify -1
    + "I"	WarpToWindow	50 50

    DestroyFunc	"RunAndFocus"
    AddToFunc	"RunAndFocus" \
      "I"	Exec $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 $8 $9
    + "I"	Next [$0] FocusAndWarp

Next, in your FvwmButtons configuration, create a button for your
xterm as follows:

    *FvwmButtons(Title xterm-myhost, Action "RunAndFocus xterm-myhost \
		/usr/bin/X11/xterm -title xterm-myhost")

-- 
(void) lar3ry();                                      [email-masked]

     "Sometimes it happens.  People just explode.  Natural causes."

---

From: Tigran Aivazian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 15:22:45 +0100 (BST)

Hello,

Thanks for your solution -- it certainly works. However, I have found even
simpler solution -- just put StaysOnTop in the Style for xterm/nxterm/rxvt
whatever. It has the disadvantage that if you start some X app from that
xterm you can't see it unless you give it focus manually (through
WinList). This drawback is present in your solution as well.

Anyway, thanks.