Subject: Re: FVWM: Re: FvwmEvent 1.0 (FvwmAudio++) Alpha release

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 7:37:04 +0100

Brady Montz <[email-masked]> writes:

> "Vlad D. Markov" <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I appreciate Fvwm's small memory consumption and speed. My computer is
> > an old 486 DX66. I prefer not to bring up an interpreter to do common
> > tasks. I hope Fvwm does not get bloated.
> 
> I agree. That's why I made the point (and will make again) that we should
have
> at most one interpreter running. I negelected to say that fvwm should work
> perfectly nicely without having an interpreter built in as well. That's also
a
> prerequisite I would want satisfied.

And I agree too, even though I have plenty of memory.

One could argue that fvwm already have an interpreter built-in! This
interpreter takes up some 200 lines of code. A TCL interpreter takes
up 4000 lines (I believe) and can usually be loaded as a shared
library. And if you use anything like tkman, tkgoodstuff or similar,
you already have that shared library loaded...

/tonny

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 04:08:16 -0400 (EDT)

> you already have that shared library loaded...

Can I ask WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL?!?!?

The way I see it, the fvwmrc file simply sets a bunch of variables, and
maybe does interpretting for some complex functions, but even then it's
minimal. Otherwise, to get interactive, you use a MODULE... like FvwmTalk,
or FvwmCommand, or whatnot. As far as I can tell, there's an M4 processor,
as well as a C-preprocessor type module, or something like that. If you
want this extra configurability, why not just create a module like
everything else and as the first line of your fvwmrc, immediately use the
module.

The beauty of FVWM is in the modules. Use them.
			-peace

--- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK ------------+-----------
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) | "In the morning glad I see
P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K? w++++  |  My foe outstrech'd beneath the tree."
O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5   |               -The Poison Tree
X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>*  h*(!) r-  |                William Blake
y*(+) ------ END GEEK CODE BLOCK -----+