Subject: FVWM: Re: Anyone want my FvwmTaskBar improvements?

From: "Michael L. Raymer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 09:51:58 -0400 (EDT)

> I don't know about everybody else, but I think a far more useful
> property of a task bar would be one that only included iconized
> applications.  If they aren't iconized, they are easy to find. 

That's a good idea.  Here's what I'll do -- I'll add an option
like *FvwmTaskBarShowWindows which can be set to "All", "CurrentDesk",
or "Iconized".  "All" will be just like the current FvwmTaskBar module,
"CurrentDesk" will show only windows for the current desktop, and
"Iconized" will show only iconized windows.

When I'm done, I'll post the resulting module to this group.  Thanks for
the input.

-mike-

Michael L. Raymer
Depts. of Biochemistry and Computer Science
Michigan State University
[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brian Sayatovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 10:23:37 -0400

Could you make two options for it so it will have a 2x2 effect?

CurrentDesk - Shows only windows from current desk, otherwise all desks.
Iconized - Shows iconized windows as well as non-iconized windows, otherwise
just non-iconized windows.

This way, someone could pick and choose whether they wanted iconized/non and
current/all windows displayed.

Brian.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 13 May 1998 15:13:26 -0400

If people are hacking on the taskbar/iconbar stuff, I'll resend my
fervent wish for the "perfect taskbar feature"... and I don't even think
it should be that hard, at least not the basic idea... but I'm not an X
hacker.

----------------------------------------
From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: Fvwm Workers List <[email-masked]>
Subject: Fvwm Icon Manager enhancement
Date: Wed Jul 23 11:56:00 -0400 1997

OK, I've been playing with various icon managers, from fvwm2's builtin
iconbox and windowlist, to FvwmIconMan, to the task bar that fvwm95
uses, to tkgoodstuff's windowlist tool.

All of them are cool, but none do quite what I want.  I think what I
want would be most excellent (just saw Bill & Ted's again on Fox last
week :) so I'm asking if anyone can point me to something that can do
it, or is interested in modifying their particular manager to do it.

First, I have _tons_ of icons.  Most of them are of two basic types:
Emacs frames and rxvt windows.  There are some others thrown in for good
measure (ical, tkman, maybe a WWW browser, occasionally Frame, etc.)

The rxvt windows are also of a few discrete flavors: for example, we use
ClearCase at work and I have a specific ClearCase class of rxvt windows
that are set to ClearCase views.

I have so many icons they can't all be shown at once.  And I really hate
scrollbars in an icon manager; too cumbersome.

Here's what I'd like:

  * An interface like the 95 button bar where you get a button per task,
    then you click on it to raise/focus it, etc.

  * BUT!  It should be possible to define a _set_ of windows that would
    appear under one button.  Then I'd define one set for Emacs frames,
    one for ClearCase view rxvt's, etc.  And I'd get just one button no
    matter how many Emacs frames I had.  The set would be based on X
    resource class/instance names, of course.

    When you picked a button that represented multiple windows, you'd
    get a popup listing each of the windows with its title (like the
    fvwm2 builtin windowlist).  Then you'd pick the one you wanted from
    that list.

  * The button bar should have an option for hiding itself, like win95
    and the new tkgoodstuff can, where it becomes a thin line against
    the edge of the screeen when the mouse moves off of it, then
    reappears when you move back over it.

  * In an ideal world, you could also define actions for each set; the
    actions would appear on the popup above the list of windows,
    separated by a line.  The actions could of course be commands, fvwm
    modules, or whatever.

    Right now I have an FvwmForm configured to start ClearCase views; it
    asks for a view name and invokes rxvt with a command to set to that
    view.

    So, for my rxvt ClearCase "set", I'd want my popup menu to be
    something like:

        .________________________.
        | New View               |
        `------------------------'
        ' psmith_view1 @ lemming `
        | psmith_view2 @ bronto  |
        | psmith_view3 @ whaler  |
        `------------------------'

    Then when "new view" was picked, my FvwmForm module is kicked off.

Anyway, you get the idea.

I _dream_ about this interface now that I've imagined it.  Can someone
help? :)

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     These are my opinions--Bay Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Pete Forman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 08:58:20 +0100

Paul D. Smith writes:
 > Here's what I'd like:
 > 
 >   * An interface like the 95 button bar where you get a button per
 >     task, then you click on it to raise/focus it, etc.
 > 
 >   * BUT!  It should be possible to define a _set_ of windows that
 >     would appear under one button.  Then I'd define one set for
 >     Emacs frames, one for ClearCase view rxvt's, etc.  And I'd get
 >     just one button no matter how many Emacs frames I had.  The set
 >     would be based on X resource class/instance names, of course.

FvwmIconMan can have multiple instances to manage sets of windows as
you request.  Check out this list's archives for examples of
combinations of FvwmButtons and FvwmIconMans to construct a task bar.

 >   * The button bar should have an option for hiding itself, like
 >     win95 and the new tkgoodstuff can, where it becomes a thin line
 >     against the edge of the screeen when the mouse moves off of it,
 >     then reappears when you move back over it.

  * FvwmTaskBar can hide itself but does not have the functionality of
    the multiple FvwmIconMans AFAIK.

  * FvwmAuto, but this currently acts on all windows.  It cannot be
    targeted at the task bar alone.
-- 
Pete Forman
Western Geophysical
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 29 May 1998 16:26:49 -0400

%% Pete Forman <[email-masked]> writes:

  pf> FvwmIconMan can have multiple instances to manage sets of windows as
  pf> you request.  Check out this list's archives for examples of
  pf> combinations of FvwmButtons and FvwmIconMans to construct a task bar.

This would be perfect... if I could get FvwmIconMan to "button-ify" some
of the managers.

What I'd like is to be able to specify that some of the managers just
display a button, then when the button is pressed they'd show all their
managed windows, in a popup window-type thing.

Since there can be only one "transient" manager definition, I don't see
how I can do that by starting up an FvwmIconMan module when an
FvwmButton is pressed (for example), since I'd want different managed
icons depending on which button I pressed.

Plus, I'd prefer not to have to start an icon manager "on-the-fly" as it
takes too long (I still use the builtin winlist bound to mouse-3 instead
of a separate module, for the same reason).

Thanks for the response, though...