Subject: Re: FVWM: Re: FvwmEvent 1.0 (FvwmAudio++) Alpha release

From: Chris Siebenmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 16:41:32 -0400

| Can I ask WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL?!?!?
[...]
| Otherwise, to get interactive, you use a MODULE... like FvwmTalk,
| or FvwmCommand, or whatnot.

 There are some things in fvwm2 that cannot be controlled through a
module. For example, if you want to modify how fvwm2 places windows,
you currently have to write/modify C code.

 I am not sure if it is desirable to make fvwm2 larger and more
complex so that people can avoid modifying C code. Supporting all
possible features and modifications just gets one a large muddy
mess, and so at some point it is better to say 'this is what it
does, and this is how it does it, and if you don't like that here's
the source (or there's other window managers)'.

	- cks
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: corellg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 07:04:59 +0900 (JST)

Sirs:
I have FVWM95-2 V2.0.45 ( or whatever) running on my FreeBSD machine. all
the time. I use a fvwmrc that I pulled off a web page somewhere with some
minor modifications and i'm not real sure what I did having not RTFM'd
very much at all so I'll admit I'm comming from some degree of ignorance.
Ok,ok, a Severe degree.  I've just got too many other "priorities".
My point is, You can make fvwm "all things to all people like Win95 but
like 95 "all things to all people" means not doing one thing real well.
You will begin to suffer from creeping featureism.
 On the other hand you have the beauty of a unix based system you can
configure to your heart's content. how about using a language that's
extesible but without a large core of its own. Say, FORTH ?
 On another hand too, I sure would like to see a real serious cometitor to
MS windows. something that would do a real good job. easy for a novice to
showhorn into his computer and begin to get familiar with unix. that's the
advantage MS has now. somebody can get his system up and running fairly
easily and keep it up fairly reliably even with 95 occasional "burps". I
think fvwm could be a very useful tool in that arena. I'm real tired of
the ignorant masses telling me <unix et. al.> is dead but i'm just enough
of a programmer by  FF AA RR   to tackle the task myself.
  All this is a long way of saying I agree with you, Chris.

> the source (or there's other window managers)'.

---
Gary B. Corell				Powered by FreeBSD   2.2.1 
[email-masked]		[email-masked]
http://www.ptialaska.net/corellg        [email-masked]