Subject: FVWM: Fvwm and Netscape

From: Maxwell Spangler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 21:07:15 -0400 (EDT)

Using Fvwm2, I have an FvwmButtons module located in the top left corner
of my screen.  It extends down about 40 pixels and across to the right
about 800 pixels.  No border, Always on top, to describe it briefly.

When I start Netscape, Netscape positions itself slightly underneath the
buttons, so each time I start Netscape or ask Netscape to open a new
browser window, I immediately have to pull the window down below my
FvwmButtons area.

Is there an Fvwm2 or Netscape configuration change I can make so that
Netscape will be placed according to the open space on my screen, not
under FvwmButtons?

FYI, I have these already:

Style "*" ActivePlacement, SmartPlacement, RandomPlacement
Style "*" MWMFunctions, MWMDecor, HintOverride

Style "Netscape" Icon netpositive.xpm

And no other general purpose or Netscape specific settings that I can
find.  I'm very interested in hearing if others are just accepting this
annoying behaviour. :)

Maxwell Spangler, Software Developer, Greenbelt, Maryland, USA

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: patrick finerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 23:44:36 -0600 (MDT)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

have you tried setting the location using .Xdefaults instead? that
works just fine for me...

Netscape*geometry: 654x683+4+55

- -pjf

On May 21, 1998, Maxwell Spangler wrote:
 > 
 > Ok, that works fine for the first window, but if, from within Netscape,
 > you start another brower window by choosing File->New->Navigator Window,
 > then the next browser appears under my FvwmButtons bar.
 > 
 > I'm really looking for reasons why Fvwm isn't placing the new window where
 > it should using its various placement techniques.  Of course, I'm prepared
 > for someone to tell me Netscape is coded to do what it wants and not
 > cooperate with the window manager for placement..

- -- 
       "There is only one aim in life and that is to live it."
 Karl Shapiro,(1959) from an essay on Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer
	  finger [email-masked] for PGP key
		    http://zifi.genetics.utah.edu