Subject: FVWM: Poor display of GUIs

From: Andy Helten <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 18:39:52 -0400 (EDT)

I just recently started using fvwm and then fvwm2.  They both have 
worked out just fine, except their poor display of any GUI application.  
What I mean in particular regarding the poor display, is a thick black 
line drawn around every box or button within the GUI window (NOT on the 
border or title bars).  I realize this must be a configuration problem 
with fvwm on my part (it doesn't do it with olwm), but I have been 
unable to figure it out which one.  

	Two questions:

	1.  How can I get rid of the thick black borders?

	2.  Is there a better, more thorough list and explanation of the 
configurable items than the manpage provides?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

amh
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brian Sayatovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 07:40:55 -0400

Andy,

	If I follow what you're saying, you're seeing black borders around individual
GUI components, such as text boxes, or push buttons, within the application. 
The window manager shouldn't be affecting this at all.  This should be a
function of whatever GUI library that particular application is using, such as
Motif, for example.

	The only things I can figure that would be different between your use of olwm
and fvwm* are:

1. You are running with different GUI library (a different Motif library?)
2. You are on a different computer which then entails 1.
3. Your X resources in your .Xdefaults have changed.

	Whatever the case, modifying your X resources for the apartiuclar GUI
library(ies) you are using could eliminate the problem.

Brian.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 08:25:25 -0400

> 3. Your X resources in your .Xdefaults have changed.

Or perhaps:

  4. You are using more colors in fvwm2 borders,  icons, etc.  Causing
your app  to paint its  boxes, buttons, etc,  with a  different set of
colors.  If you   are on a color   limited display, avoid  full  color
icons, gradient decorations, and the like.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].