Subject: Re: FVWM: fvwm2 - xv can't grab screens

From: "Keven R. Pittsinger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 00:29:28 -0400

> It's me again. Just now I got around to playing with the screen grab
> stuff and am still having problems.
> As I mentioned before, xv (3.10a) will not grab fvwm2 screens but has
> no problem with other window managers. Running at 1024x768, 16bpp.
> I now get errors that I never received before. I'm in DOS now so
> I sorta forgot it. :-)  Something like 'can't grab 0,0 1024x760'.

xv screen grabs work for me.  I set them to autograb with a 5 second delay, 
hide xv.  When xv comes back, page over to another portion of the desktop, or 
change desktops, then come back and click your left button on the xv *picture* 
title bar.

> Anyway, tried xwd as mentioned. Xwd created images that are near black
> so they're useless. Almost like someone turned out the lights on the
> image. This happens with other wm's also.

I've never been able to figure out how to convert them to a useable format.  
For whatever reason (99.999% likely, *operator error*), I've never been able 
to get ImageMagick installed right.

> Just read on a newsgroup that xwd doesn't support above 8bpp.
> Is this true?

No clue.  I'm running Accel-X at 16 bbp, never been able to get XF86_SVGA to 
go above 8 bbp with my Trident 9440 2 meg card.  *(

Keven
-- 
==============================================================================
          http://www.glasscity.net/users/jamstar/index.html
==============================================================================
 "When the going gets weird, | [email-masked]  |  Keven R. Pittsinger
  the weird turn pro." --    |    [email-masked]   |   Certified Public
  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson     |        SUE ME!!        |       Nuisance

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: william austin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 12:45:38 -0400 (EDT)

On or about  Thu, 28 May 1998 18:29:56 PST8PDT

> I sorta forgot it. :-)  Something like 'can't grab 0,0 1024x760'.

I'm running fvwm2 on both sparc and intel solaris2 (2.6, and 2.7 beta) in
8,16,24, and 32 bpp modes -- 1280x1024 screen generally, but I tried both
larger (1600x1200) and smaller (1024x768) and tried the screen grab in xv
3.10a -- it worked just fine here.  Is there anything else that could be
effecting things, like
	a) wierd permissions on devices,
	b) running your display without doing the semi-obligatory
		xhost + (whatever your hostname is),
	c) dynamic libraries updated since the build of xv, or
	d) dynamic libraries updated since the build of fvwm2 (or a binary
		distribution of unknown build status)?

Just my $0.02 worth...

> Just read on a newsgroup that xwd doesn't support above 8bpp.

Dunno -- don't use it.
 
> Any suggestions on another app with screen grab features?
> Not sure if KDE's ksnapshot would work outside of KDE (don't ksnapshot
> yet anway).

As I recall, ImageMagic also has a screen-grab feature... (pause) ...

Yep -- I just tried it, and it does (if you don't have ImageMagic, you can 
download it from ftp.x.org in /contrib/applications/ImageMagick) -- the
utility which has this capability is "display". (It worked ok on both Solaris/
SunOS, and on HP-UX 10.xxxxx, anyway -- I don't have any Linux around to try it
on at the moment.

Good luck,

William W. Austin			[email-masked]
					770 750-6954 VOICE / 770 750-7321 FAX
=============================================================================
			"Life is just a phase I'm going through..."

---

From: "Marc D. Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 21:36:19 PST8PDT

>         xhost + (whatever your hostname is),

Hmm, not familiar with this xhost thing.

>         distribution of unknown build status)?
That latter could be the cause. I'm using a binary distro (from where
I don't remember). Version 2.0.46.

Update:
Well, it seems to work now. Someone (Greg F?) mentioned autograb which
I know I've tried before. I was able to grab a few screens okay
so a full-screen grab only works with autograb in my case. A normal grab
with a single click on the background doesn't (individual windows/items
are no problem, however).

Marc
--
>> ANIME SENSHI <<

Marc D. Williams
[email-masked]         GTE
IRC Nick: Senshi        Channel: #dos  #IrcHelp
http://www.agate.net/~tvdog/internet.html  --  DOS Internet Tools