Subject: FVWM: TASK BAR GOODIES

From: Chris Colley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 11:45:36 -0500

Folks,
I am  trying to create a couple of 'goodies' on the task bar. I, for
starters, would like to put a pager button on the task bar and maybe a
couple of other 'little things' a-bit later. Also I want to remove the
clock that resides on the far right side of the taskbar - How can I do
this?
Thanks in advance
Chris Colley
TRW -- Visit the official FVWM web page at . To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a message to [email-masked]. To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 13:23:41 -0400 (EDT)

On 27 May, Chris Colley wrote:

> <HTML>

Please don't send HTML (or "rich text") to this mailing list... it makes
it difficult to read if you aren't running Netscape Mail or Outlook
Express.

> clock that resides on the far right side of the taskbar - How can I do 

Easiest way is to use FvwmButtons + FvwmIconMan to create your own
personal task bar.  This is what I have done.  Instead of a start
menu, I have an "xload" showing my workstation load.  In the "system
tray" area I have:

- An icon that runs a screen saver
- An icon that allows me to run some window selection scripts
- An icon that warps to Netscape (or runs it if it isn't already
  running)
- An icon that displays the status of the printers attached to my
  systerm.
- An icon that runs xclipboard (VERY useful!)
- An icon that allows me to either modify my .fvwm2rc files or restart
  fvwm (via menu pick)
- An icon that terminates fvwm (effectively logging me off)
- A "swallowed" tcl/tk application that displays the current time, and
  (if pressed) warps to my mailer (or runs it if it isn't currently
  running).

I have found FvwmButtons very versatile for providing this sort of
functionality, and FvwmIconMan provides the "task list" in a similar
manner that FvwmTaskBar does.  And with FvwmButtons, you have COMPLETE
control over how your task bar looks.

Anyway, I've MIME-attached a tiny GIF file that shows you what my task
bar looks like.  And, if anybody is interested, send me private email
(NOT A REQUEST ON THIS LIST!) and I will send the pertinent sections
of my .fvwm2rc files.  My example assumes a 1280x1024 screen, but the
"magic numbers" can be fudged...  for example, I have a slightly
modified version of this configuration at home that works equally well
on my 1280x1024 and 1152x864 screens, thanks to the magic of FvwmM4.

-- 
(void) lar3ry();                                      [email-masked]

     "Sometimes it happens.  People just explode.  Natural causes."

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 27 May 1998 15:27:48 -0400

%% [email-masked] writes:

  g> I have found FvwmButtons very versatile for providing this sort of
  g> functionality, and FvwmIconMan provides the "task list" in a similar
  g> manner that FvwmTaskBar does.  And with FvwmButtons, you have COMPLETE
  g> control over how your task bar looks.

Well... not _COMPLETE_ control :)

I just have to toss my inevitable complaints about "minor"
nits... although this actually annoys me quite a bit sometimes.

The one thing I like about tkgoodstuff over FvwmButtons (besides the
graphical construction windows--which I certainly don't _need_ but is
nice anyway--and the builtin widgets like tkgjots and webster) is that
tkgoodstuff "packs" buttons; that is, each button takes up exactly as
much space as it needs, and no more.

Sure, buttons are different widths but that doesn't bother me.  It
allows me to fit more onto my button bar, _and_ (most importantly) it
allows me to swallow other apps and have the display exactly the right
size, instead of the nearest "button size" offset, which can make things
look odd.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     These are my opinions--Bay Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 May 1998 12:33:14 -0700

[email-masked] writes:

> ---1375695600-2078917053-896289829=:2292
> Content-Type: TEXT/plain; CHARSET=US-ASCII
> 

Agreed.

> - An icon that runs xclipboard (VERY useful!)

I have a icon which runs xpaste, so all I have to do is highlight something,
click the icon, and my selected text pops up in a sticky window (as I have the 
xpaste style sticky). Coolness.

I used to use xcb, but it was too "heavyweight" for that task for my taste,
although it's a cool program too.

-- 
 Brady Montz
 [email-masked]