Subject: Re: FVWM: fvwm2 - xv can't grab screens

From: "Marc D. Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 18:29:56 PST8PDT

> Don't know ... I've never had trouble with xv, even on many many platforms.
> You could use xwd in the meantime.
> 
> Ric
> 

It's me again. Just now I got around to playing with the screen grab
stuff and am still having problems.
As I mentioned before, xv (3.10a) will not grab fvwm2 screens but has
no problem with other window managers. Running at 1024x768, 16bpp.
I now get errors that I never received before. I'm in DOS now so
I sorta forgot it. :-)  Something like 'can't grab 0,0 1024x760'.

Anyway, tried xwd as mentioned. Xwd created images that are near black
so they're useless. Almost like someone turned out the lights on the
image. This happens with other wm's also.
Just read on a newsgroup that xwd doesn't support above 8bpp.
Is this true?

Any suggestions on another app with screen grab features?
Not sure if KDE's ksnapshot would work outside of KDE (don't ksnapshot
yet anway).
Thanks,
--
>> ANIME SENSHI <<

Marc D. Williams
[email-masked]         GTE
IRC Nick: Senshi        Channel: #dos  #IrcHelp
http://www.agate.net/~tvdog/internet.html  --  DOS Internet Tools

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 01:10:35 -0400 (EDT)

> Not sure if KDE's ksnapshot would work outside of KDE (don't ksnapshot

Well, I've never found XV's screen grab utils to be very stable (shame
tho). I don't like KDE so I wouldn't suggest it... I don't think XWD works
with anything better than 8bit displays. 

My suggestion would be to use GIMP ... as early as the 0.99.29 release of
GIMP, there's been a grabbing (screen, window, rubberband) feature.
			-peace

--- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK ------------+-----------
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) | "In the morning glad I see
P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K? w++++  |  My foe outstrech'd beneath the tree."
O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5   |               -The Poison Tree
X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>*  h*(!) r-  |                William Blake
y*(+) ------ END GEEK CODE BLOCK -----+

---

From: Grant McDorman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 13:07:00 -0400

> > Just read on a newsgroup that xwd doesn't support above 8bpp.

Both xv and xwd don't work with mixed visuals - i.e. if your default visual
is 8bpp, but you're grabbing windows that are 16 or 24 bits deep. If that
isn't the case, then they're fine; if, on the other hand, you do have that
case you get what you described - black images. They both work with 24 bits
- or, at least, the vanilla X11R6.3 and Solaris 2.5 xwd work with 24 bits. I
do not know about 16bpp.

ImageMagick, on the other hand, handles mixed visuals with no problem. (The
command-line utility to do a screen grab in ImageMagick is 'import'; grabs
can also be done with 'display'.) I use ImageMagick because of this, and
also because it supports more image formats (not to mention being actively
maintained...).

Note, also, that with your 16bpp display could be TrueColour or
PseudoColour. In the latter case, you have a (rather large) colourmap; it is
unlikely that xv and xwd would expect to get a 64K colourmap instead of the
usual 256.

You can find out what your default visual is with 'xdpyinfo', and you can
find out what a particular window is with 'xwininfo'.

I will try to fix the VNC X server to work with 16bpp and test xv, xwd, and
ImageMagick with that later today.

> GIMP, there's been a grabbing (screen, window, rubberband) feature.

GIMP - at least early versions I tried - did not work at all with
non-TrueColour displays (it made invalid assumptions about what could be
done with colourmapped displays). If your display is TrueColour, then it's
feasible; otherwise, I wouldn't suggest it.

-- 

Grant McDorman <[email-masked]>
ISG Technologies, Inc.  http://www.isgtec.com
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

---

From: Trent Piepho <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 10:38:40 -0700 (PDT)

> - or, at least, the vanilla X11R6.3 and Solaris 2.5 xwd work with 24 bits. I

I've found that xv doesn't work properly with 24-bit packed visuals.  32-bit
works, but 24 doesn't.  xwd does work, but xv has the same problem displaying
24-bit xwd files as it does with 24-bit screen captures!  xwud or the GIMP can
display the files ok.

There is also an XV bug where after a grab the window doesn't get updated. 
The grab works ok, but whatever image you were viewing before is still
displayed.  There is a patch for xv that fixes this.

> unlikely that xv and xwd would expect to get a 64K colourmap instead of the

16 bit PseudoColour hardware exists?

> feasible; otherwise, I wouldn't suggest it.

GIMP has worked with PseudoColor visuals for a long time now, at least, as
long as I can remember.

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun.   |
|Trent Piepho ([email-masked])                   -- Metallica  |
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].