Subject: FVWM: 2.0.46 Bug with Mouse/Key Bindings

From: "Colin J. Wynne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 14:46:52 -0400 (EDT)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

I am running FVWM 2.0.46, and have noticed an intermittent bug that is 
finally starting to vex me enough to say something about it.

Every once in a while, for no reason I can discern, Fvwm stops
interpreting most, but not all, of the mouse and key bindings I have
specified in the .fvwm2rc file.

No mouse sequences (modified or not) will work in the root window.
I have desktop (virtual screen) navigation bound to `Control <arrow>'
for all the arrow keys.  These stop working.  I have `Shift <mouse
button)' bound to window raise, window lower (different mouse
buttons); these stop working.  Bindings to window buttons and borders
still work, however.

Restarting Fvwm does not solve the problem.

I looked through the mailing list archives, but was unable to find
anything on this.

I would appreciate if anyone can offer any help.  I am not a list
subscriber, so please CC responses to me.  I will be happy to post a
summary of responses to the list in a little while.  Thanks,

CJW

- --
**********************************************************************
    /\        Colin J. Wynne            Johns Hopkins University
   (())                              Dep't of Mathematical Sciences
  /____\   ``Lunatic-at-Large''        E-Mail: [email-masked]
 /______\   
/________\ ``Good judgement is usually the result of experience. And
             experience is frequently the result of bad judgement.''
	                                                    ---Unknown
**********************************************************************

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Nathan Clegg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 17:55:42 -0700 (MST)

> specified in the .fvwm2rc file.

The next time this happens, look down at your keyboard.  Is your NumLock
on?  Turn it off and things should restore themselves to normal (and if
they don't immediately, try holding down all of your shift, alt, and
control keys at the same time and then releasing).  It's no bug--numlock
does something to your toggle status.

If your NumLock is off...then I don't know :)

---

From: "Colin J. Wynne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 10:24:02 -0400 (EDT)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

So, I think I should feel stupid...  My original post was about a
problem with FVWM `forgetting' its mouse and key bindings for no
apparent reason.

Two different people (Nathan Clegg <[email-masked]>
and Dan Espen <[email-masked]>) suggested that the NumLock key
might be the culprit.  I find myself a little surprised, because I
hardly ever use the keypad and am not sure how I would be activating
NumLock, but, sure enough---hitting NumLock causes what appear to be
the same symptoms, taking NumLock back off brings things back to
normal.

So, the next time this problem `spontaneously' occurs :-) I will be
sure to look for the stupid little green light.  (Or just use xkeycaps
to disable the stupid NumLock key to start with... :->)

Thanks for the quick responses,

CJW

- --
**********************************************************************
    /\        Colin J. Wynne            Johns Hopkins University
   (())                              Dep't of Mathematical Sciences
  /____\   ``Lunatic-at-Large''        E-Mail: [email-masked]
 /______\   
/________\   Arthur C. Clarke's Law:  It has yet to be proven that 
                     intelligence has any survival value.
**********************************************************************

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 10:42:27 -0400 (EDT)

caps lock also causes the same behavior and if you switch between several
keyboard styles like I do missing up ctrl and cap lock is quite easy.

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Colin J. Wynne wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: 2.6.2
> Comment: http://www.mts.jhu.edu/~cwynne/
> 
> iQCVAwUBNWGWBXEHfObrVHptAQEMfgP+JVZJvD5Y7B4Ltd7RFPPz7cJAD3flWWLZ
> 5wCbj6HhXzjD+X1QRN0wp9D+zOBRjuIHel6/w7XbtEW4WkcDLSJlUjQlbywNUulq
> ffNXDUzD3cMDBZX6MiCuRNp3uM3xF1Dn+BXzcVLw/eTwVRfokCmmX8wBRInc3mMp
> sq10LYbxrOM=
> =XdnH
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> --

--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous