Subject: FVWM: Dynamic MiniIcons/Taskbar

From: Yaron <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 00:00:36 +0300 (IDT)

Hi,

I run a lot of apps through XTerms, usualy opening about 5-10 xterms and
running lots of different apps on them throughout the day/week/month
(however long it is till something reboots me!). Anyway, as you can
imagine, the taskbar gets really cluttered (lots of XTerms plus lots of
other apps). I have most of my common tasks aliased so they change the
xterm title when they run, so I can more easily find them on the taskbar
(ie, when you run pine it changes the title to "Pine", when you exit, back
to "XTerm"). But what I'd really like is the miniicon on the taskbar and
the window to change.

I've setup different miniicons for just about everything I run, but so far
the only way I've found to change them after fvwm has started up is to
restart fvwm... which takes time (it's an old computer) and, heh, messes
up the order windows are listed on the taskbar. 

Does anyone have a better way of doing this? I'm using fvwm2.0.46, with
the FvwmTaskBar that comes in the extras dir (I've modified it so it sees
my mailbox in $HOME/Mailbox).

Really hope this makes sense, I'm writing this half asleep. (:

			Bye,

				-Yaron.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (David S. Goldberg)
Date: 01 Apr 1998 16:14:56 -0500

You should use recapture instead of restart to update the miniicons.
It's almost as annoying, but not as drastic as a restart and I'm
pretty sure it won't change the order of your icons.  Unfortunately
there's no way (yet) to have an icon be updated on the fly.  In theory
it could be done with an FvwmCommand monitor if there wasa way to do a
recapture of a single window.

Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 781-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]