Subject: FVWM: System Lockup

From: John Culleton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 09:35:17 -0400

My Linux system is running a reasonalby recent version of FVWM based on
a reasonably recent version of X-Window. There is the following strange
behaviour.

If I shut down an application and then shut down FVWM before the
application actually exits then the whole system freezes. It happens
frequently with Netscape but yesterday it happened when a scanner
operation was still in the process of exiting. The distinguishing
characteristic seems to be an application that takes its own sweet time
about shutting down. My current workaround is to wait (impatiently)
until all disk activity ceases.

I need to exit FVWM/X Window frequently because my system has only 16MB
of real memory and I do run out on occasion.

Any thoughts? Is there another list I should be bugging about this?

Any replies appreciated.

John Culleton
[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Marc D. Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 13:11:15 PST8PDT

> of real memory and I do run out on occasion.
How's your swap space? You might want to have from 16-32MB of swap
maybe which helps out quite a bit.
I forgot what the general rule of thumb for swap space was.
Something like creating a swap space twice as big as the amount of
ram you have when you don't have much. If you have the disk space
try 32MB.

--
>> ANIME SENSHI <<

Marc D. Williams
[email-masked]         GTE
IRC Nick: Senshi        Channel: #dos  #IrcHelp
http://www.agate.net/~tvdog/internet.html  --  DOS Internet Tools