Subject: Re: FVWM: Re: FvwmEvent 1.0 (FvwmAudio++) Alpha release

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 13:12:04 +0100

brian moore <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 29, 1998 at 12:37:48PM +0100, [email-masked] wrote:
> > Has anybody been thinking about introducing something like TCL in
> > fvwm. To me it looks like most current fvwm commands can be translated
> > directly to TCL commands. This would automatically add
> 
> How would that be different from X11::Fvwm for Perl and the fvwmpython and
> fvwmperl modules in 'extras' with 2.0.46?  Same basic thing?

I want to use TCL as the configuration language of fvwm instead of the
current command set. The reason for using TCL and not perl, slang or
any other configuration language, was to make the new TCL-based
configuration files completely backward compatible with the current
configuration files.

Note that this is not related to whether TCL, perl or python is used
as the implementation language for modules.

*IF* TCL was used as the configuration language, then some modules
could actually be folded into the core as loaded TCL code... But that
is a different story.

> 
> -- 
> Brian Moore                             Kill A Spammer For Jesus
> Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker, Usenet Vandal 
> --
> Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
> To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
> message to [email-masked].
> To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bruce Stephens <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Apr 1998 13:06:19 +0100

[email-masked] writes:

> I want to use TCL as the configuration language of fvwm instead of
> the current command set. The reason for using TCL and not perl,
> slang or any other configuration language, was to make the new
> TCL-based configuration files completely backward compatible with
> the current configuration files.

Ah.  Clever.  Just looking at my .fvwm2rc suggests it's not entirely
Tcl-friendly, but it's very close.  Specifically, the function
definitions have + as the first word, so you'd need to keep track of
what the last definition was or something.  And the module definition
lines are weird: you'd presumably have to use something nasty like
redefining unknown.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].