Subject: Re: FVWM: mailing list

From: John Culleton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 14:33:29 -0500

Sometimes when I exit FVWM2 the entire system freezes up and must be
rebooted (just like Windoze!). There may be a relationship to Netscape
which is usually exited just before leaving FVWM. Someone mentioned a
memory leak with respect to Netscape 4.X. Is this the culprit? Is there a
cure?  I use Linux 2.0.30 and a fairly recent edition of FVWM2.  I don't
know where to look for the version/release number.

John Culleton

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Manfred Bartz" <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Apr 1998 08:36:04 +1000

> know where to look for the version/release number.

``fvwm2 --version'' does the trick.  Mine reports ``2.0.46''.

With regards to memory leaks, I have not observed growing memory usage 
by fvwm2 and I often run it many days (no logout, just locked screen,
home environment).  However, you may be using different modules.

You can check memory usage by doing a ``ps axv'' just after you
started fvwm2 and then every few hours.
This might be handy: ``ps axv | egrep -i "fv\\wm|PID TTY STAT"''

Netscape should just crash without bringing the entire system down
because it runs in user space.  However, I have encountered the odd 
crash with older versions of Netscape that bring the Xserver down.  I
never had to reboot though.  Presumably, Netscape triggers a bug in
the Xserver for that to occur. 

I encountered behaviour like the one you describe on my system about a
year ago.  It went away when I upgraded my Xserver.  I think the
Xserver, if it is buggy, potentially can bring the OS down because it
runs SUID root.  The latest Xservers apparently can run in user space.
You'll have to check at <http://WWW.XFree86.org/>.

Regards
-- 
Manfred Bartz <[email-masked]>
-----------------------------------------------------------------
This is a bug in that version of Netscape.  Upgrade to a previous
version.                                --Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].