Subject: Re: FVWM: FVWM2: maximize button

From: [email-masked] (John Beyer)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 11:26:09 -0400

> From: "Frank Wilcox, Jr." <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 10:57:51 -0400
> 
> is there any way to trap the maximize button (^) in the corner of each window
> so that it will the whole screen EXCEPT for the part taken up by by the
> button bar.  The default is fill the whole screen (or least, almost the whole
> screen).

Just to clarify what behavior you're seeking - 

Suppose your button bar was in the upper-left corner of the screen, and 
your window was well below and to the right of it.  Would your zoom stop 
at the bottom edge or the right edge of the button bar?  

Would this change if your button bar was vertical instead of horizontal?  

What if the window overlapped the button bar before zooming?  

What if the button bar were floating in the middle of the screen and the 
window completely covered it before zooming?  (I know, it's a pathological 
case, but there's plenty of pathological users out there...)

If the window was zoomed and butting up against the button bar and the 
button bar got moved or resized, would the window resize to accomodate?  

If the button bar got killed, would zooming revert to full-screen zoom?

What if, for some reason, the user had more than one button bar on the 
screen?

Basically, what all the above amounts to is, can your proposed zooming 
algorithm handle all possible initial shapes and placements of both the 
button bar and the window, and does it handle any dynamic activity of 
those things before and afterward?

Just wondering,
--
John Beyer           |  Lately there's been an alarming increase 
                     |  in the number of things about which I know 
[email-masked]  |  absolutely nothing.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Frank Wilcox, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 11:50:00 -0400

On Apr 21, 11:26, John Beyer wrote:
> Subject: Re: FVWM: FVWM2: maximize button
>
>-- End of excerpt from John Beyer

i have no idea.

right now i just have a slightly modified default button bar.  it fills the
bottom edge of my screen.  i want to eventually make it vertical on the right
side...but i haven't got the time right now (exams week after next...'nuf
said).

as for all those other options, i don't see myself using them (though
anything is possible), so all i really care about right now is the two
configs i'm looking at.

-- 
Frank Wilcox, Jr. (a.k.a. _____)

can be found in #Friends on the undernet

------------------------------------------------------
Safe upon the solid rock the ugly houses stand:
Come and see my shining palace built upon the sand!
		-Edna St. Vincent Millay

Matt 8:24-7