Subject: FVWM: backspace does not work with FVWM

From: Albert Israel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 16:25:48 +0000

Hi,

    I recently installed Linux on machine and I am running FVWM.  The
only problem I have is
when I telnet into another machine (like SGI or IBM) the backspace does
not seem to work.
On the SGI it gives me a new line and on the IBM I have to do stty erase
? to get it to work.
I tried using xmodmap -e "keycode 22=backspace" and it does not work?
I dont have this
problem with FVWM95.  Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.  Thank you
very much.

--
       _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/  _/_/     _/  _/      _/  _/   _/
      _/ Albert Israel                  _/ _/    _/  _/      _/  _/   _/
     _/ Department of Chemistry        _/   _/  _/  _/  _/  _/  _/   _/
    _/ Northwestern University        _/    _/ _/  _/ _/_/ _/  _/   _/
   _/ Evanston, IL 60208             _/     _/_/  _/_/  _/_/    _/_/
  _/ WWW: http://www.chem.nwu.edu/~albert EMAIL: [email-masked]
 _/ phone: (847) 491-3423  fax: (847) 491-7713
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

---

From: Dutch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 12:29:08 -0400 (EDT)

Is there a FVWM2 binary that I can just tar xvfz and run? 

I dont know about 'make' or c programming, yet.  many instructions expect
this sort of thing, when they talk about libraries, and Imake, and
makefiles - apparently it is only a reference to a whole other procedure . 

If there a clear explanation of make (one that assumes I'm no programmer)
tell me - I dont mind reading.

I have Slackware installed; 2.0.29

Frustrated, short-tempered hot shots need not reply and be rude.  I'm
trying to learn here.
--
David van Popering
[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "A. van Werven" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 18:43:57 +0200 (DST)

> Is there a FVWM2 binary that I can just tar xvfz and run? 

Probably, somebody using the same OS can give you a binary.

> tell me - I dont mind reading.

If you're not a programmer, don't bother make, c and such.
You won't understand a word of it.
And what's more, you will have to make changes to makefiles and probably even
to the source code just to get it running on your specific system.
If you're using Linux anyway, it won't hurt (not to say it's crucial) learning
how to program in C.

Good luck.

-- 

A. van Werven
Dept. of Computer Science, Leiden University, The Netherlands
E-mail: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.wi.leidenuniv.nl/~avwerven

Life would be easier if I had the source code.

---

From: brian moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 09:45:50 -0700

> tell me - I dont mind reading.

Actually, I'd say go for it now and learn how to compile and build.
It's usually pretty simple:

(possibly) edit a config file
then the following commands:
   xmkmf -a
   make
   make install
   make install.man

Most of the time you get to sit and watch it work and have little to
do.

-- 
Brian Moore                             Kill A Spammer For Jesus
Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker, Usenet Vandal 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 13:01:20 -0400 (EDT)

> If you're not a programmer, don't bother make, c and such.

bother.. experiment. That's how you learn. And don't pay attention to
nay-sayers such as above... They're part of the reason a portion of the
population doesn't understand computers.

Besides, experimentation can't hurt you. Especially if you create a test
user (something other than root) to build the program in. That way you
can't hurt the rest of the system!

BTW: If you're new to linux, maybe slackware is not the best for you.
Maybe you should try RedHat. It's more up-to-date and generally easy to
use for begginers.

> If you're using Linux anyway, it won't hurt (not to say it's crucial) learning

I would hardly say it was close to crucial. I *barely* know how to program
in C, however even before I tried learning, I was building programs under
IRIX and SunOS4/Solaris (SGI and Sun). 

The original response is horribly malfigured in it's content. Under Linux,
FVWM shouldn't have a problem compiling. It didn't for me. As long as you
follow the directions, there should be no problem. READ ALL OF THE
README's ... That's what they are there for. And if you DO have problems,
post the error to the list and I'm sure someone will help, and you'll
learn, and maybe you'll be able to spot the next problem without asking. 

Never be afraid to learn. 

check out the following site: 

	http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/

it's the fvwm homepage. Read the FAQ's if you have problems. They have
answers. Enjoy!
			-peace

--- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK ------------+-----------
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) | "In the morning glad I see
P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K? w++++  |  My foe outstrech'd beneath the tree."
O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5   |               -The Poison Tree
X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>*  h*(!) r-  |                William Blake
y*(+) ------ END GEEK CODE BLOCK -----+

---

From: "Patrick K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 14:37:40 -0400 (EDT)

> population doesn't understand computers.

   I agree with this statement.

> Maybe you should try RedHat. It's more up-to-date and generally easy to

   nonsense!

   I started with RedHat and shortly after messing with it I
   ended up DUMPING it for Slackware.

   I learned quite a bit with the Slackware system.  I believe
   it is only a myth that redhat is an "easy" system for beginners.

   But I digress... this isn't a Linux discussion list... and
   to keep with the topic ... following the instructions in the
   INSTALL filethat comes with the fvwm-2.0.*.tar.gz file
   you can get fvwm compiled and installed with no problems
   on a Linux system.

   I have done this for 3 of my systems with no problems.

   Best of Luck,

Patrick ...

---

From: "A. van Werven" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 10:30:24 +0200 (DST)

Near 2000, Kendrick Vargas mumbled something about:
> Besides, experimentation can't hurt you.
>

Hey, if I want to get flamed, I'll ask for it.

I merely wanted to point out the following:

I guess Fvwm was initially meant for Linux in the first place, so it
shouldn't be too difficult building it on a Linux box.
But on some other systems (ever tried HP-UX ?) it can be quite a bit more
difficult. You really have to modify the makefiles and even some header files
to get it working. Then I haven't even mentioned the fact that on the
HP-UX boxes over here, quite a few C libraries are missing :-(
And I can hardly imagine how one can modify C header
files or C makefiles without knowing about C, thus not knowing what you're
doing.

Then about my "don't bother" statement:
Considering the above, I reckon that asking somebody for ready-to-run
binaries is to be preferred above going through the entire compile
process if the person in question doesn't know about C.
It should, IMHO, however be the perfect occasion for starting to learn C.
And, indeed, experimenting does no harm, if you've got the time for it.
It may in fact be the best way of learning. But if you have to modify header 
files and makefiles whilst not knowing about C, you won't get very far.
But again, if Fvwm compiles on Linux as easily as you say, my statement
doesn't apply to Linux.

Next time, please think before you start swearing at people.

-- 

A. van Werven

"Solid Dutch cooking: when in doubt, add more sugar"

---

From: brian moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 07:49:38 -0700

> shouldn't be too difficult building it on a Linux box.

Actually, it predates Linux (or at least 'modern' Linux).  It builds well
on Linux because people that had problems submitted patches to make it
work that got integrated into the code.

> files or C makefiles without knowing about C, thus not knowing what you're

Then when you fix things to make it work, Submit The Changes.

> But again, if Fvwm compiles on Linux as easily as you say, my statement

It builds as well as most X programs.  'xmkmf -a;make;make install;make
install.man'.

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 16:06:19 -0400 (EDT)

> Hey, if I want to get flamed, I'll ask for it.

I wasn't really trying to flame you, believe it or not. I just think it's
a really bad thing to shun anyone from Linux software installations
because they don't know C. It's bad enough that Joe Schmoe loves
microsoft, but when you shush people away from a good free alternative
simply because they can't program (which from other posts, shows that
proggraming isn't necessary) is wrong and can hurt the Linux using
audience as well...

> shouldn't be too difficult building it on a Linux box.

Actually... Linux was built and based on TWM source code, and TWM source
code exhists long before Linux did. TWM was one of the first window
managers for X, wasn't it? And even then, FVWM was at 1.23 in 1994
(right?) when linux was just starting to approach 1.0 (not even 1.2). The
fact that it runs well now is a testament to the attempt to make Linux as
standards-compatible as possible.

> files or C makefiles without knowing about C, thus not knowing what you're

Knowing what you're doing and programming are two different things.
Makefiles aren't all that difficult to understand once you get the hang of
it. As for HP-UX, the guy said he was a novice and just installed linux.
I doubt he'd spend thousands of $'s for an HP box + (from what you've
mentioned) broken dev. kit on top of the cost for the OS. And even if he
did have to work on this system, someone could point him to a patch (cuz
if it were really necessary, a patch would prolly exhist) and he would
learn the art of patching, _OR_ someone would help him with his problem
offline. Either way, two rather important skills.

> process if the person in question doesn't know about C.

I don't think so. Eventually, this person might decide to recompile the
kernel, and then what will he do? He's gotta start somewhere. Therefore
telling him "don't bother" is kinda harsh.

> Next time, please think before you start swearing at people.

I don't remember doing any swearing.

Next time, please think before accusing people of swearing.
			-peace

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 16:10:16 -0400 (EDT)

> Actually... Linux was built and based on TWM source code, and TWM source
              ^^^^^
FVWM :)

			-peace