Subject: FVWM: fvwm2 - xv can't grab screens

From: "Marc D. Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 18:08:37 PST8PDT

Slackware, 2.0.30, 80386-40, 32MB RAM, Diamond SpeedStar64 ISA w/2MB

Howdy all,
I was telling this guy (avid Win95 user) about Linux, X, and various
window managers. I decided to grab screens from different window managers
so he can see their flexibility.
I grabbed openwin/olvwm, mwm/Lesstif, and twm.

I can't for the life of me grab any screens while in fvwm2 though.
Started up three different configs I have to show him what you can do
with just one window manager. Whenever I try to grab a screen xv just
beeps.

Anyone have any idea what the cause may be?
Thanks,

--
>> ANIME SENSHI <<

Marc D. Williams
[email-masked]         GTE
IRC Nick: Senshi        Channel: #dos  #IrcHelp
http://www.agate.net/~tvdog/internet.html  --  DOS Internet Tools

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Stew Benedict <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 05:21:24 -0400 (EDT)

How about xwd?

Stew Benedict

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 07:10:44 -0400 (EDT)

I've occasionally had that problem oon my sun box, and the problem seemed
to be when I started xv on a different machine than my own.  Never did
figure out why but if I started it from my machine it worked fine.

> Anyone have any idea what the cause may be?

--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 11:52:46 -0400

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998 18:08:37 PST8PDT
"Marc D. Williams" <[email-masked]> 
> so he can see their flexibility.

Good idea.

> I grabbed openwin/olvwm, mwm/Lesstif, and twm.

Just about the 3 ugliest window managers :-)
To really impress him you should also get some shots of WMs like WindowMaker,
AfterStep, and of course Enlightenment (http://www.enlightenment.org/ ...
loads of pics there). Also a good fvwm95 or win95-lookalike of
fvwm2 might impress him if he likes windoze.

See the Window Manager page at http://www.PLiG.org/xwinman/.

Keep up the evangelism :-)

> Anyone have any idea what the cause may be?

Don't know ... I've never had trouble with xv, even on many many platforms.
You could use xwd in the meantime.

Ric

Richard J Lister, Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Phone: +1 202-687 2878
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Patrick K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 14:02:16 -0400 (EDT)

> Anyone have any idea what the cause may be?

   Not too sure.  But I seem to have a similar problem
   here at work with fvwm-2.0.46 w/matrox millennium II 8MB.
   Whenever I try to "grab" some window or an area with xv
   I get a blank grab.  However at home  I am running same
   version of fvwm2 w/Diamond Viper v330 4MB I have no
   problems.

   The only difference between the systems are the  XServers
   (both are XSuSe servers) and the  colour depth they run
   at:  matrox @ 32bpp and diamond @ 16bpp.

Patrick ...

---

From: Nix <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 09:06:38 +0100 (BST)

>    at:  matrox @ 32bpp and diamond @ 16bpp.

FWIW I'm using XFree3.3.2 and a Mill II 4Mb, and this problem is not
evidenced (I can grab anything, no problems. Not that I often bother.)

But I'm running at 16bpp. Try changing the colour depth and see what
happens.

-- 
`There's a price to be paid for selling your soul.' -- Rajappa Iyer,
                                                       on Microsoft