Subject: Re: FVWM: right click lock; vertical button bar?

From: "Frank Wilcox, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 17:17:28 -0400

On Apr 17, 16:12, Chris Siebenmann wrote:
> Subject: Re: FVWM: right click lock; vertical button bar?
> | my right mouse button keeps "locking." The terminal behaves as if the
> | right mouse button is being held down. This prevents me from being do
> | anything...except reboot.
>
>  This is almost certainly a hardware problem, due to a 'sticky' switch
> inside the mouse itself. I've had similar things happen to my mice if
> they're old (or gungy) enough.
>
> 	- cks
>-- End of excerpt from Chris Siebenmann

we have at least 70 terminals in this one lab...and at least a dozen labs
across campus...one has 150+.  I've had this trouble on nearly every terminal
i've used (but only when i'm running fvwm2).

-- 
Frank Wilcox, Jr. (a.k.a. _____)

can be found in #Friends on the undernet

------------------------------------------------------
Safe upon the solid rock the ugly houses stand:
Come and see my shining palace built upon the sand!
		-Edna St. Vincent Millay

Matt 8:24-7
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 17:35:48 -0400

> i've used (but only when i'm running fvwm2).

OK, maybe we  are past the "hardware problem"  stage.   Yet I've never
heard anyone descibe an fvwm problem as mouse button locking.

I'm not completely   clear on the symptom.   When  I press the   right
button on my   mouse, I get  different   reactions, depending  on  the
context.  For example  on the "root", fvwm  pops up  a menu.  On  most
other fvwm2 controls, I get no reaction at all.  Within windows, I get
whatever the application does.

Whats happening to you?

Using "xev" you should see both button press and button release events.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Frank Wilcox, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 17:47:09 -0400

On Apr 17, 17:35, Dan Espen wrote:
>-- End of excerpt from Dan Espen

It most often happens when i'm running netscape.  I'll right click to back
up, or download an image or whatever, and the mouse button "stick."  The box
that popped up when i right clicked stays there when i let go AND it won't
let me click on anything else, w/ any of the buttons.  The keboard hangs,
too...or at lest seems to...i can hit "Stop, A" and then "boot" to reboot the
terminal...but that's it.

Matt 8:24-7

---

From: Trent Piepho <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 15:02:23 -0700 (PDT)

> terminal...but that's it.

I have no idea what causes it, but I've had this happen too.  I remember that
start office 3.1 caused it a bunch of times.  I think I also had some XView
app doing this.  I don't remember netscape ever doing it to me.  Star office
4.0 is out and doesn't use Motif anymore, and I haven't had that problem with
it.  Do you have this problem with another window manager?  I think it may be
related to the application grabbing the xserver and not letting go.

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun.   |
|Trent Piepho ([email-masked])                   -- Metallica  |
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Frank Wilcox, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 18:07:11 -0400

On Apr 17, 15:02, Trent Piepho wrote:
>-- End of excerpt from Trent Piepho

The only other manager i've used for more than a few minutes is mwm, and it
worked fine (but i really like fvwm2's button bar and virtual desktop).

Matt 8:24-7

---

From: "Patrick K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 19:07:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Frank,

> terminal...but that's it.

   I remember a similar problem.  Almost exactly as you
   described it.  You even may find a post by me in the
   fvwm2 list archives regarding this very same problem.

   For me it was with netscape.  This would ONLY occur
   when netscape was still "busy" retrieving the page
   when I would right click to go back.

   It would seem that the entire box was stuck.  But not
   so.  Netscape would have a hold on the xserver, that's
   all.  On my Linux/86 box I could switch to a virtual
   terminal/console and kill netscape from there and
   return to the X session and things would be fine.

   Another way out would be to just wait a while.  I
   think it took something like 3 to 5 minutes or so
   and then Netscape would snap out of it and let go.
   Then things were back to normal.

   I have not noticed this behavior w/Netscape 4.04
   yet.

   Hope this helps,

Patrick ...