Subject: FVWM: restarting .fvwm2rc from command prompt

From: Garvey Paul <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 21:53:46 +0100 (BST)

Hello,

I was just wondering if it was at all possible to restart my .fvwm2rc file
from the command prompt instead of using the builtin menu option?!

Thanks,
paul.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "A. van Werven" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 09:07:23 +0200 (DST)

> from the command prompt instead of using the builtin menu option?!

Just kill it and then start it again :-)

-- 

A. van Werven
Dept. of Computer Science, Leiden University, The Netherlands
E-mail: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.wi.leidenuniv.nl/~avwerven

Life would be easier if I had the source code.

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Apr 1998 11:46:04 +0200

>>>>> On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Garvey Paul said:

  Garvey> I was just wondering if it was at all possible to restart my
  Garvey> .fvwm2rc file from the command prompt instead of using the
  Garvey> builtin menu option?!

There is FvwmTalk which opens a window where you can type Fvwm
commands.  I think there is also FvwmConsole which might or might not
be nicer, but in principle it does the same thing.

kai
-- 
Really cancel?   [OK]  [Cancel]

---

From: [email-masked] (David S. Goldberg)
Date: 07 Apr 1998 12:52:44 -0400

>>>>> Kai Grossjohann replies:
Kai> There is FvwmTalk which opens a window where you can type Fvwm
Kai> commands.  I think there is also FvwmConsole which might or might
Kai> not be nicer, but in principle it does the same thing.

There's also FvwmCommand which lets you run FvwmCommands from the
command line.  Be aware it's in the "unsupported" extras directory
(but then, I think FvwmConsole is too) so you may have to do some work
to get hold of it.  To use it you run FvwmCommandS module from Init
and Restart functions and FvwmCommand program at the command line.  I
use it to do strange things at startup such as force my initial
Netscape window to start on Desk 5 but once Netscape is up and running
reset the style to StartsAnywhere so when emacs' browse-url-netscape
causes a url to be loaded in a new window, it pops up on whatever desk
I'm running emacs in.

Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 781-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]