Subject: FVWM: OFF TOPIC: rxvt pixmaps

From: "A. van Werven" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 17:20:57 +0200 (DST)

Hi there.

I was wondering if somebody could point me towards some decent rxvt
background pixmaps.
The pictures I have now mostly make any text illegible.

Thanks in advance.

-- 

A. van Werven
Dept. of Computer Science, Leiden University, The Netherlands
E-mail: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.wi.leidenuniv.nl/~avwerven

Life would be easier if I had the source code. 

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 12:00:06 -0400

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998 17:20:57 +0200 (DST)
"A. van Werven" <[email-masked]> 
> The pictures I have now mostly make any text illegible.

I use the "Dim' button in the xv colour editor to crank down the contrast
on my favourite pixmaps. This does the trick nicely.

You may like to check out the collection of pixmaps at
http://www.tcserv.com/archive/E/Eterm-bg-all.tar.gz. In general, the
Enlightenment community are really into this stuff, so doing a bit
of surfing from http://www.enlightenment.org/ can reveal all kinds
of funky pics.

Martin Cartwright has some pics at http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~imc/  but
I can't seem to access his server at the moment.

The rxvt home page is at http://babayaga.math.fu-berlin.de:80/%7Erxvt/
(they have their own mailing list).

Ric

Richard J Lister, Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Phone: +1 202-687 2878
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brian Sayatovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 12:26:24 -0400

> The pictures I have now mostly make any text illegible.

Dig around in http://www.andyart.com -- he has some nice backgrounds.  They're
mostly .GIF and .JPG so you'll have to use something like XV to convert them,
but its worth it to find such a complete repository.

Brian.

 ___________________________________________________________
|                                                           |
|  Brian Sayatovic                 (mailto:[email-masked])  |
|  International TechneGroup, Inc. (http://www.iti-oh.com)  |
|___________________________________________________________|
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 13:13:44 -0400 (EDT)

> The pictures I have now mostly make any text illegible.

this is why background pixmaps are generally a bad idea for xterms... The
font for the text is too fine, and tends to be out of contrast with ANY
texture that the image might have. If you really want to look for an
image... look for one that doesn't have much detail, doesn't change color
much, and that contrasts well with the color of your font.
			-peace

--- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK ------------+-----------
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) | "In the morning glad I see
P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K? w++++  |  My foe outstrech'd beneath the tree."
O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5   |               -The Poison Tree
X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>*  h*(!) r-  |                William Blake
y*(+) ------ END GEEK CODE BLOCK -----+

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 13:25:54 -0400

> font for the text is too fine, and tends to be out of contrast with ANY

As far as the  font for the  text is too fine,  in general, I find all
the normal X fonts too fine.  Here are the Xresources I recommend for
xterm and rxvt:

! These are the fonts used by rxvt:
XTerm.font: 9x15bold
XTerm*font1: 6x13bold
XTerm*font2: 7x13bold
XTerm*font3: 7x14bold
XTerm*font4: 8x13bold
XTerm.boldFont: 9x15
! Regular xterm fonts:
XTerm*vt100*font: 6x13bold
XTerm*vt100*font1: 9x15bold
XTerm*vt100*font2: 8x13bold
XTerm*vt100*font3: 7x13bold
XTerm*vt100*font4: 6x13bold
XTerm*vt100*boldFont: Adobe-Courier-Bold-R-Normal--20-140-100-100-M-110-*-*

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 14:59:17 -0400

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998 13:13:44 -0400 (EDT)
Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]> 
> much, and that contrasts well with the color of your font.

I think the use of pixmaps is a very personal issue. I like doing it, but
know lots of people who find it very distracting. I think the correct
choice of font and low contrast pics with lots of dark colours works
quite well.

I did some screenshots of my setup:

  http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/rxvt/

(big pics, may be slow).

Ric

---

From: "A. van Werven" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 12:13:54 +0200 (DST)

> > I was wondering if somebody could point me towards some decent rxvt

I'd like to thank all of you for the response I've gotten !

Ciao.

-- 

A. van Werven

---

From: "A. van Werven" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 14:40:08 +0200 (DST)

> on my favourite pixmaps. This does the trick nicely.

I found out that scanned .GIFs of the pictures on M:TG cards
(=Magic: The Gathering) sometimes make great backgrounds :-)

-- 

A. van Werven

---

From: Martin Cartwright <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 14:26:09 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Richard Lister wrote:

->On Tue, 14 Apr 1998 17:20:57 +0200 (DST)
->"A. van Werven" <[email-masked]> 
->wrote concerning 'FVWM: OFF TOPIC: rxvt pixmaps':
->> Hi there.
->> 
->> I was wondering if somebody could point me towards some decent rxvt
->> background pixmaps.
->> The pictures I have now mostly make any text illegible.
->
->
->I use the "Dim' button in the xv colour editor to crank down the contrast
->on my favourite pixmaps. This does the trick nicely.
->
->You may like to check out the collection of pixmaps at
->http://www.tcserv.com/archive/E/Eterm-bg-all.tar.gz. In general, the
->Enlightenment community are really into this stuff, so doing a bit
->of surfing from http://www.enlightenment.org/ can reveal all kinds
->of funky pics.
->
->Martin Cartwright has some pics at http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~imc/  but
->I can't seem to access his server at the moment.

Thanks for the free advertising ;). Yeah, our main internet connection
was down for a week (no net, no mail, no nuthin'). Should be okay now
though. 

Martin

->
->The rxvt home page is at http://babayaga.math.fu-berlin.de:80/%7Erxvt/
->(they have their own mailing list).
->
->Ric
->

--
[email-masked] --- http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~imc/vom.htm

    "Sponges grow in the ocean ... I wonder how much deeper    
          the ocean would be if that didn't happen."

---

From: John Culleton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 12:09:57 -0500

When I fire up FVWM (version 2.0.45) I get an error
"no such module CursorStyle in module path......."

When I search my system there is no file called CursorStyle anywhere. Is this an
FVWM problem or an XF86 problem?

John Culleton

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 13:16:30 -0400

>From the changelog, it looks like "CursorStyle" was new in 2.0.46
(it was also in the pre 2.x releases).