Subject: FVWM: Fvwm & CDE

From: "Viren R. Shah" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 13:03:02 -0400 (EDT)

[I checked the list archives for this, and turned up quite a few posts
 asking the same question, but no answers to those posts seemed to be
 present in the archives. :-(]

I've a Solaris 2.5.1 box with CDE installed, I want to get fvwm as the
default window manager on it, when I login form the CDE login
screen. Does anyone have any pointers as to how this can be achieved? 

Thanks for any help,
Viren
-- 
Viren R. Shah
"Creeping featurism is a disease, fatal if not treated promptly"
   -- Don Norman in _The Design of Everyday Things_
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Rainer Koehler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 20:57:30 +0200

I have a Solaris 2.6 box with CDE.  The only thing I use of it is the
login screen, since it gives me an option to use the good (?) old
openwin environment.  When openwin starts, it checks if You have an
.xinitrc file and executes that to start the window manager and some
related stuff.

If .xinitrc doesn't exist in your homedir, openwin uses
/usr/dt/config/Xinitrc.ow (at least on my system), so it's probably
best to copy that to .xinitrc and modify it to use fvwm.

I also managed to use fvwm2 under CDE (not openwin), but then I can't
do anything for the first minute after the login.  I assume that
someone waits for some signal from the window manager which fvwm2
doesn't send.

Hope this helps,
Rainer

---

From: "Jehangir K. Tajik" <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Apr 1998 14:38:09 -0500

> screen. Does anyone have any pointers as to how this can be achieved? 

This works really slick:

in your ~/.Xdefaults file put:

*wmStartupCommand:  /path/to/fvwm/executable/fvwm2
*waitWmTimeout: 1

Then when you log in, this will automatically fvwm2 as your window
manager.

Jehangir
 
-- 
"We all enter this world in the same way: naked; screaming; soaked 
in blood. But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't
have to stop there." --Dana Gould
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].