Subject: RE: FVWM: install

From: "Nagle, Adrian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 10:50:47 -0600

Speaking of installing fvwm2.

I've been trying to do the same, and I'm not a C programmer.  By
following the INSTALL directions, I think I have it compiled and maybe
ready to go.  But I can't find where the executable went.  I've tried to
look in the configure and fvwm files, but I don't see exactly where
everything gets installed.  Is it the current directory?  I noticed much
of the files were updated (the date and time are recent).  And to top it
off, assuming everything was compiled in the . directory,  where do the
compiled libraries and other files go?  I know where the executable for
fvwm is, so I can guess that.

If anyone can work with me off line perhaps, to get fvwm2 installed in
slackware Linux, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Adrian

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Adrian Nagle                                      Tele: 303-939-6518
Thermal Engineer                                   FAX: 303-939-5166
Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp.
Boulder, Colorado
http://www.ball.com/aerospace/batchp.html

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Dutch [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Tuesday, April 07, 1998 10:29
> To:	[email-masked]
> Subject:	FVWM: install
> 
> 
> Is there a FVWM2 binary that I can just tar xvfz and run? 
> 
> I dont know about 'make' or c programming, yet.  many instructions
> expect
> this sort of thing, when they talk about libraries, and Imake, and
> makefiles - apparently it is only a reference to a whole other
> procedure . 
> 
> If there a clear explanation of make (one that assumes I'm no
> programmer)
> tell me - I dont mind reading.
> 
> I have Slackware installed; 2.0.29
> 
> 
> Frustrated, short-tempered hot shots need not reply and be rude.  I'm
> trying to learn here.
> --
> David van Popering
> [email-masked]
> 
> 
> --
> Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
> To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
> message to [email-masked].
> To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 13:08:53 -0400 (EDT)

> slackware Linux, I would appreciate it.

By default, the main executable (once you run "make install") gets copied
to:

	/usr/X11/bin/fvwm2

and the modules get copied to:

	/usr/lib/X11/fvwm2/

Notice the first one is a file and the second one is a directory. If you
haven't modified your system variables, your $PATH should have
/usr/X11/bin somewhere in it, and thus you should just be able to run
fvwm2. 

You are installing fvwm2.0.46, right? or fvwm1.24r? Fvwm2 is fairly stable
for alot of people, so you shouldn't worry about using it.
			-peace

--- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK ------------+-----------
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) | "In the morning glad I see
P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K? w++++  |  My foe outstrech'd beneath the tree."
O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5   |               -The Poison Tree
X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>*  h*(!) r-  |                William Blake
y*(+) ------ END GEEK CODE BLOCK -----+