Subject: FVWM: Precise moving icons

From: Guido Bolognesi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 10:55:07 +0100

Hi to all!
I am using fvwm 2.0.45, recompiled from source on a Linux RedHat system.
I'd like to obtain this: when moving iconized windows, I'd want them to
move
of a discreet quantity, like if they were on a grid (moving on "snap"),
so that
the icons are always aligned.
This is possible, for example, on CDE.
Do you know how can I obtain this? (I think I'll have to modify sources,
but I
don't mind).

thanks a lot
-- 
gu1d0
----------------------------------------------------
Guido Bolognesi  ----  System and Network Adm   ----
      ...and proud Linux user/developer!
"Experience varies directly with equipement ruined"
Should you experience problems in sending me email,
please double check me first on http://www.four11.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 11:28:59 -0500

> Do you know how can I obtain this? (I think I'll have to modify sources,

If  you attempt   this, start  with  fvwm  2.0.46.  I think  the Linux
version of 2.0.46 already  includes  the "iconboxes patch" which   you
will need in order to have an icongrid.

If not, you will find  this patch in the  "unofficial patches" area of
the fvwm2 home page.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Guido Bolognesi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 14:47:24 +0100

> If not, you will find  this patch in the  "unofficial patches" area of
I downloaded 2.0.46 and the iconboxes patch and recompiled.
It works, but it doesn't do whta I needed: when I move the icons, I can
still
drop them anywhere on the screen, at random positions...
What I expected was that after defining something like

Style "*" IconBox +900+8+927+800, IconGrid 90 90

I would have had the icons dropped at least at 90 pixel from each
other... :(
If I am doing something wrong, can you point it out? (and then tell me?)

thanks

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 08:22:47 -0500

> If I am doing something wrong, can you point it out? (and then tell me?)

No, you are doing nothing wrong.  You still have to make changes, as I
said, "start  with fvwm 2.0.46.".   Before 2.0.46 and the patch, there
was a built in 3x3  pixel grid, but no  way to  change the grid  size.
This would have been useless for your purposes.

The iconbox and the icongrid affect AUTOMATIC placement of icons only.
Once you move an icon, the icon stays wherever  you move it.  In fact,
you will  see a switch being  set in the  window  structure saying the
icon was moved, which  currently forces fvwm2  to leave the icon where
it was moved to.  This also affects how the icon is positioned when it
is marked "sticky" and you change desktops.

I'm not sure why  you are moving icons, but  my guess is that you want
to  change the move logic,  so that if an  icon is dropped anywhere in
the iconbox you  want to see if  its near an  open  grid location, and
drop it into that spot, and not mark it "moved".

You  may notice that  the actual placement  in the grid could use some
fine tuning.  With fvwm,  icons can be  any size and the current logic
doesn't center the icon  into the grid.   It currently places the icon
into the upper left, (it really depends on the "iconfill direction").

---

From: "Patrick K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 14:26:16 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

> I would have had the icons dropped at least at 90 pixel from each

   I am not too sure (I possibly could be wrong here), but I
   think what he is trying to get the icons to do is:

      .  after minimizing a window the icon should end up
         in the IconBox area defined above.
      .  if this icon is ever moved out of that region
         by the dragging it w/the mouse, it (the icon)
         should be return to the IconBox area; like a
         "sling-shot" effect.

   now if I am wrong in interpreting the person's request
   I still think this *might* be a nice feature to be added
   to fvwm2 in some future release.  Or maybe not  :-)

   Comments?

Patrick ...

---

From: Guido Bolognesi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 10:57:35 +0100

Patrick K. wrote:

> > when I move the icons, I can still
You're right here.
>          should be return to the IconBox area; like a
No...
Let me do an example.
Let's say I defined an icon grid of 30x30 pixels. This grid should cover
the entire desktop space. 
	----------------------------------------------
	| <- 30 pix ->  | <- 30 pix ->  | <- 30 pix ->  | etc.
	| ^		|		|		|
	| |		|		|		|
	| 30		|		|		|
	| pixels	|		|		|
	| |		|		|		|
	-------------------------------------------------

Ok?
Now: I have an icon in the icon box, and I want to move it somewhere
else
on the desktop. If I decide to drop it (let's use the upper left corner)
in +30+30, it should be dropped.
If I decide to drop it in +40+40, the icon should be dropped with the
upper left corner 
in +30+30, while trying to drop it, for example, in +55+35, would drop
it
effectively in +60+30...

...hope it helped to understand...

thanks for the effort :))

greetings

---

From: Trent Piepho <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 01:28:03 -0800 (PST)

> >          should be return to the IconBox area; like a

If you have used a windows or mac computer, they have an "arrange icons"
function will take all the icons and place them in a nice little grid.  This
is easier because these systems only allow icons on one size.  I think what
Guido wants is something like this that happens every time an icon is moved,
and where the icons are moved as little as possible to snap to the grid.

It seems like this should be easy.  Just find the code that gets run when an
icons is dropped and have it find the correct icon-grid position and move the
icon there.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].