Subject: FVWM: fvwm bug report

From: Steve Sanbeg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 12:34:49 -0500 (EST)

I have noticed a bug in the version of fvwm I am currently experimenting
with.  When trying to restart fvwm from a menu, it often doesn't work
properly.

It seems that the menu doesn't get unposted properly, and when fvwm comes
back it doesn't know what to do with it.  Essentially, when I restart, all
of my windows get undecorated; then they are redocorated.  The popup menu is
decorated as a normal window at this time, although I believe it is now just
a blank, untitled window.

The mouse pointer stays as the arrow that comes up when a menu is brought
up; fvwm appears 'stuck' on this menu; I can't change desktops or monitors,
can't focus windows or bring up menus, etc.

I believe this has something to do with the movement of the mouse in the
menu; I think that if I am careful not to move the mouse when I select
restart, I can avoid this.  But it appears that if I move the mouse at the
wrong time, fvwm won't completely notice the button release, and although it
will restart, it won't unpost the menu.  

Once, I was able to move a window by clicking on the titlebar, and moving
the mouse while releasing the button; I was then able to drag the window
around without having to keep the button pressed.  I haven't been able to
repeat that, however.

I would appreciate any help on this; I haven't really been able to debug it
at all, though; since my system becomes pretty much useless once this
happens until I can log in remotely to kill fvwm.

I am running fvwm 2.0.46 under solaris 2.6 with the standard Sun openwin
X11, based on X11R6.

It was compiled with Sun cc: 

cc -V
cc: WorkShop Compilers 4.2 30 Oct 1996 C 4.2
usage: cc [ options] files.  Use 'cc -flags' for details

Here are the scripts from the rpm, to show how it was built..

%prep
%setup -n fvwm-%version
%patch0

%build
xmkmf -a
make DESTDIR=%prefix/ BINDIR=bin XAPPLOADDIR=lib/app-defaults USRLIBDIR=%prefix/
lib INCDIR=include

%install
make install install DESTDIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%prefix/ BINDIR=bin XAPPLOADDIR=lib/
app-defaults USRLIBDIR=lib INCDIR=include
make install.man MANPATH=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%prefix/man
mkdirhier $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%prefix/include/X11/pixmaps
cd icons
cp * $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%prefix/include/X11/pixmaps

The patch is just a minor change to the imake template, to move some of the
paths, etc.  I don't think it would affect anything, but here it is if
anyone is interested:

--- Fvwm.def	Mon Feb 23 13:13:45 1998
+++ Fvwm.tmpl	Mon Feb 23 13:41:35 1998
@@ -46,7 +46,7 @@
  * confused, and make sure you don't have any spaces in there.
  ***************************************************************************/
 
-/* #define FvwmIconPath /usr/include/X11/bitmaps\:/usr/include/X11/pixmaps */
+#define FvwmIconPath /usr/include/X11/bitmaps\:/usr/include/X11/pixmaps\:/usr/local/include/X11/bitmaps\:/usr/local/include/X11/pixmaps\:/usr/local/X11/include/X11/bitmaps\:/usr/local/X11/include/X11/pixmaps

 /***************************************************************************
@@ -65,8 +65,8 @@
  * XpmIncs to the paths where the library and include files are located.
  ***************************************************************************/
 #define HasXpm  YES     /* NO */
-/* #define XpmLibs -L/usr/local/lib */
-/* #define XpmIncs -I/usr/local/include */
+#define XpmLibs -L/usr/local/X11/lib -R /usr/local/X11/lib -R /usr/local/lib
+#define XpmIncs -I/usr/local/include

 /***************************************************************************

tia

Steve Sanbeg			[email-masked]
				http://www.dset.com
				http://www-usacs.rutgers.edu/~sanbeg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (A. van Werven)
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 18:59:01 +0100 (MET)

> with.  When trying to restart fvwm from a menu, it often doesn't work

AddToFunc GoodRestart
+ "I" Exec (/home/foobar/bin.share/erica)

AddToMenu MainMenu "Main Menu" Title
+ "&Restart" Function GoodRestart

Where erica is a shell script that has x-permissions set for you and does the following:

1) kill fvwm
2) start fvwm

Hope this helps.

-- 

A. van Werven
Dept. of Computer Science, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Phone: +31 6 54212683
E-mail: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.wi.leidenuniv.nl/~avwerven

Life would be easier if I had the source code.