Subject: FVWM: Navigator Page Source & Page Info windows problem

From: Andrew Leahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 17:42:54 +1100 (EST)

G'day fvwm'ers!

I'm having a problem with fvwm2.0.46 and 2.0.46 under Digital Unix 4.0. 
When I do a View Source or View Page Info with Netscape Navigator 4.04,
the windows pop up without decorations (ie. NoTitle and NoBorder).

The other Netscape windows (print, preferences, edit bookmarks, etc) are
all decorating correctly. I'm using a global Style definition 'Syle "*"
UseStyle Win95' in my .fvwm2rc which works fine for every other window!

FvwmIdent tells me this for the "Main Navigator Window" a "View Page
Source"  window and a "View Page Info" window (some things shortened and
left out for brevity) -

		Main Window	Page Source		Page Info
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name:		Netscape: ...	Netscape: Source of:    Netscape: Document..
Icon Name:	Netscape	Netscape		Netscape
Class:		Netscape	Netscape		Netscape
Resouce:	Navigator	Dialog			Dialog
BoundaryWidth:	5		0			0
Sticky:		No		No			No
OnTop:		No		No			No
NoTitle:	No		Yes			Yes
Iconified:	No		No			No

Any ideas? Is the "Resource: Dialog" important? Is there some X or
Netscape setting (maybe in Netscape.ad) that could be telling Navigator to
create this windows without titles and handles? Or is it purely a FVWM
problem?

BTW - fvwm95 with Navigator 4.04 works fine (all windows decorating
correctly).

_____________________________________________________________________________
Andrew "Alf" Leahy,                                       phone: 02 47 360622 
Senior Unix Administrator,                    mailto:[email-masked]
School of Computing & IT, UWS Nepean    http://www.st.nepean.uws.edu.au/~alf/ 

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 12:56:25 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, Andrew Leahy wrote:

> [SNIP]

You might want to look for a Style called "DecorateTransient" ... Check it
out in the man page. Basically, this tells FVWM that it _SHOULD_ decorate
transient application windows (windows that are derived from the main
application). You might have the style "NakedTransient" defined
(DecorateTransient's couterpart) somewhere. Just make sure that this
doesn't appear anywhere:

Style "*" NakedTransient

and make sure that this DOES:

Style "*" DecorateTransient

> BTW - fvwm95 with Navigator 4.04 works fine (all windows decorating

It probably decorates transients automatically (or it's in your fvwm95rc
and you don't even know it ;). 

It works fine for me in fvwm2.0.45
			-peace

--- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK ------------+-----------
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) | "In the morning glad I see
P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K? w++++  |  My foe outstrech'd beneath the tree."
O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5   |               -The Poison Tree
X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>*  h*(!) r-  |                William Blake
y*(+) ------ END GEEK CODE BLOCK -----+

---

From: Andrew Leahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 14:47:02 +1100 (EST)

> Style "*" DecorateTransient

Thanks Ken, but this is already set. My default style is this - 

Style Win95     UseDecor Win95, Color #c0c0c0/#c0c0c0, \
        Button 1, Button 2, Button 4, Button 6, \
        BorderWidth 5, HandleWidth 5, Handles, \
        MWMFunctions, HintOverride, MWMBorder, MWMDecor, MWMButtons, \
        DecorateTransient, NoPPosition, SloppyFocus, \
        RandomPlacement, SmartPlacement, \
        NoIcon, MiniIcon mini-x2.xpm

I tried adding an explicit 'Style "*"   DecorateTransient' and it didn't
make any difference. Any other ideas?

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 08:31:20 -0500

> BTW - fvwm95 with Navigator 4.04 works fine (all windows decorating

Title bars  and borders are  controlled by fvwm2 not  the application.
The application can  give hints about what is  wants,  but the borders
and titlebars   are created by fvwm2.    You  also want  to  check for
"NoTitle" and "HandleWidth 0" or "BorderWidth 0".

Try adding this to the end of your .fvwm2rc:

Style "*" DecorateTransients, Title, HandleWidth 8, BorderWidth 8

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "R. N. Cross" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 13:52:51 +0000

> Style "*" DecorateTransients, Title, HandleWidth 8, BorderWidth 8

I found that when running on Digital Alpha certain windows weren't being
given borders even when specified explicitly in the .fvwm file. I
recently switched to running on Sun Ultra Sparc and the problem has,
curiously enough, now disapeared. Looks like theres something strange
happening here...

Nick

------------------------------------------------------------------------
PrismTech Ltd.
Digital House, 5th Avenue Business Park, Team Valley, Gateshead,
NE11 0NB, UK
Tel: +44 (0)191-4979900            Web: http://www.prismtechnologies.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn
fool about it.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Robison <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 12:32:21 -0600 (CST)

I am also trying to figure this out (for Linux) without much luck.
First of all, I'm using M4 processing, and have a bunch of files:
~/.fvwm2rc.xxxxxx  (modules,defstyles, init, etc).  I've tried
adding the
Style "*" DecorateTransient, Title, HandleWidth 8, BorderWidth 8
to the .fvwm2rc.defstyles file.  It has been difficult for me to
figure out which file I should be editing......
I then check the resulting composite file that ends up as 
/tmp/fvwm2rcxxxxxxxx.  The DecorateTransient line is in there,
and I don't see any conflicting styles.  However, when I 'Restart'
fvwm I still get the same behaviour.  I'm primarily looking at the
Netscape 'Find' popup.

Any other thoughts?  Also, Andrew, how did you get the list of
Style defaults you gave below?  Or is this in one of your
initialization files (which one)?  

thanks,
bob

> make any difference. Any other ideas?

-----------
This message was sent by XFMail at 12:32:19 on 02-Mar-98 by:
Bob Robison          Southwest Research Institute,http://www.swri.org
Principal Engineer         Signal Exploitation & Geolocation Division
[email-masked]               Phone:(210)522-3935/Fax:(210)522-2709
<><    <><    <><    <><    <><    <><    <><    <><    <><   Col 3:2
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Andrew Leahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 15:57:46 +1100 (EST)

> Style "*" DecorateTransients, Title, HandleWidth 8, BorderWidth 8

'DecorateTransients' should be 'DecorateTransient', but anyhow, when I
added this every window on the desktop, including pager and tkgoodstuff
changed styles... but the Navigator 4.04 Source/Info windows remain
stubbornly unadorned! 

BTW - Netscape 3.01 source and info windows DO GET styled properly. 

I'm beginning to think it's a problems with Netscape Navigator 4.04 under
Digital Unix (there are other DNS problems with this version also).

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 12:44:51 -0500

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998 15:57:46 +1100 (EST)
Andrew Leahy <[email-masked]> 
> Digital Unix (there are other DNS problems with this version also). 

Hmmm, I've got a couple of Digital Unix boxes here. I'll grab netscape
and try it this evening. In the meantime can you send ALL the
Style lines from your config? That might allow us to spot if there's
anything wrong.

Ric

Richard J Lister, Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Phone: +1 202-687 2878
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].