Subject: FVWM: Root menu pops up where window border is...

From: "Eddy J. Gurney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 16:37:18 -0500

I have noticed an annoying problem with fvwm2 (both 2.0.45 and 2.0.46).

I have my DeskTopSize set to "1 6" (1 wide by 6 high).

My EdgeResistance is set to 750 50.

To see this problem, position a window (an xterm works good) so that the
bottom border of the window is right at the bottom edge of one of the
virtual screens:

| |
| |  xterm
| |
| |____________
+============== <-- bottom of virtual screen, border of xterm is actually
                    touching it; there should be no "root window" pixels
                    visible

Now, take the mouse and quickly slide it to the bottom border of the
xterm and click the left button. Since the mouse is in the window's
border region, it SHOULD perform the Mouse 1 action associated with
the window side (in my case, Raise-or-Resize). Unfortunately, what it
does is perform the action associated with clicking in the root window
(in my case, popping up a "Root Menu").

I've looked at the code in virtual.c, and it appears that fvwm creates
four windows around the edge of the screen that it uses strictly for
"input notification" to tell when the mouse has entered one of these
four "invisible" windows around the edge of the screen (they are 2
pixels wide). I think somehow these windows are interfering with the
desired action, but that is just a guess.

This is important to me because I use this technique to quickly "Raise"
a window by sliding the mouse down to its bottom border (a "hard stop",
so it doesn't require precise mouse positioning) and clicking the left
button... unfortunately, I get the stupid "Root Menu" instead of the
desired "Raise-or-Resize" action!

Any suggestions on how to fix this? I tried a couple quick hacks in
virtual.c and events.c, but to no avail.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Eddy

P.S. For some reason, this problem does *NOT* exhibit itself when fvwm2
     is first started -- it isn't until you actually MOVE to different
     virtual screen that this behavior manifests itself. If you stay on
     the first virtual screen, the actions described above work
     "as expected".
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].