Subject: FVWM: help swallowing prg in buttonbar...

From: "James Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 19:30:46 CST

Below is an excerpt from my /usr/lib/X11/fvwm2/.fvwm2rc.  I'm hoping to 
swallow oclock and xbiff in aother 2 high row.  I'm having trouble 
getting it working _with_ the xclock digital swallow.

My second problem involves the number of desks I have.  I want to have 
only one Desk and then DeskTopSize 3 3 or something else reasonable.  I 
don't like not being able to drag windows around.  I can't find where 
the desks are getting made to 4 in the .fvwm2rc.

Thanks for your help...

# Colors
*FvwmButtonsFore Black
*FvwmButtonsBack #908090
 
# Font
*FvwmButtonsFont -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
# Geometry - really likes to pick its own size, but giving a position is 
OK
#*FvwmButtonsGeometry -1-1
 
# Layout: specify rows or columns, not both
*FvwmButtonsRows 4
 
# xterm or rxvts on remote machines can be done like this
# Output re-direction is csh style, not sh style
# You will want to substitute your own hosts here!
 
*FvwmButtons (4x1) - digi Swallow "xclock" Exec xclock   -digital &
#*FvwmButtons (1x2) signal rterm.xpm    Exec "XTerm" xterm signal &
#*FvwmButtons (2x2) - mail mail2.xpm   Swallow "xbiff" Exec xbiff update 
1 -geom
etry 15x15 &
#*FvwmButtons (2x2) - whatever  clock.xpm   Swallow "Clock" Exec oclock 
-bg \#90
8090 -geometry -1500-1500 -font -*-times-*-r-*-*-17-*-*-*-*-*-*-* 
-mailupdate 1
&
*FvwmButtons(4x3)  - whatever Swallow "FvwmPager" Module FvwmPager 0 3

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 00:29:33 -0500 (EST)

> the desks are getting made to 4 in the .fvwm2rc.

        Quick Answer:  Look for lines in menu definitions that look 
something like

+          "Pager (2 desks)" Module  FvwmPager 0 1

and change them all to specify "FvwmPager 0 0", so the pager only shows
1 desktop. Then find all the "*FvwmPagerblahblahblah" statements. You should
see "*FvwmPagerLabel 0 Some Title", "*FvwmPagerLabel 1 Another Title", etc.
Lose all but the first one (this step isn't really necessary, but it'll look
cleaner). Lastly, excise any functions that invoke a desktop switch, and any
StartsOnDesk Style definitions.

        The Truth:  What I said above is really a lie. There is no
such thing as a fixed number of desktops - the desk is an arbitrary X
property that can be assigned to a window, and a window manager may be
gracious enough to do something useful with it. What we're doing above is
creating the appearance of having only one desktop, by removing any 
references to multiple desktops from your .fvwm2rc.

        - Bob