Subject: FVWM: fvwm forcing window size

From: "Patrick K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 18:25:55 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

   I admit that I didn't do much research on this question but
   I can't see any thing in my ${HOME}/.fvwm2rc that would cause
   this.

   I recently noticed that when using xv to open images that are
   bigger than my Virtual desk size fvwm2 will force the xv image
   window fit this size.

   My question is:  Is there anyway one could disable this behavior?

   TIA,

Patrick ...
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 07:45:53 -0500 (EST)

>    My question is:  Is there anyway one could disable this behavior?

I guess that answer to that depends on how much you want to hack the xv
code.  That is its not fvwm its xv that is your problem.  From what I have
seen in the xv source it basically starrts up creating an image window the
size of your screen.  Then it loads the image if the image is smaller than
the screen great it makes the window smaller, if its larger then it does a
resize to get it to fit on your screen.  

Now depending on which window manager you are using this is a good/bad
feature.  If you are using something like mwm that doesn't give you pages
then you'ld be out of luck viewing the rest of your image.  As for a fix
to this problem I don`t know, the xv source is not fun to look at.

--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 08:23:12 -0500

>    My question is:  Is there anyway one could disable this behavior?

Its not fvwm2 forcing the limit,  its, xv.  You want  to start xv with
the command line option -nolimits.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Manfred Bartz <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Feb 1998 14:45:03 +1100

>    bigger than my Virtual desk size fvwm2 will force the xv image

Nothing to do with fvwm.  You are seeing documented xv behavior.  xv
will internally keep you image at the original size.  However, you
need to be careful when saving an image - to retain the original size
you need to select ``Normal Size'' in the ``Save'' dialog.

>    My question is:  Is there anyway one could disable this behavior?

Maybe.  What do the xv docs (usually ``/usr/doc/xv/xvdocs.ps'') say?  

Regards
-- 
Manfred Bartz <[email-masked]>
------------------------------------------------------------------
Obnoxious Usenet Habits #68: List a cute organization name in your 
header, such as "Australians for Global Warming".
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Patrick K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 20:30:39 -0800 (PST)

> >    My question is:  Is there anyway one could disable this behavior?

[Dan Espen : DE]

DE> Its not fvwm2 forcing the limit,  its, xv.  You want  to start xv with
DE> the command line option -nolimits.

   Thank you for all your answers!  -nolimits works perfectly!

Patrick ...

---

From: Chris Siebenmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:22:52 -0500

If one is willing to try other image viewers, I am fond of xli,
especially with the patches for shared memory and PNG and better JPEG
support that you can find at http://pantransit.smar.reptiles.org in
the programming section. Among other virtues, it lets you pan around
images too large to fit on the screen in a reasonably convenient way.

 It's purely an image viewing program (with limited ability to tweak
things like image gamma on the fly), not an image manipulation program
like xv. If you need to manipulate images in complex ways or save the
results of even simple manipulation, you want xv or something more
capable.

 xli itself should be available from ftp.x.org in one of the contrib
subdirectories.

	- cks