Subject: FVWM: fvwm2 and SGI's desktop

From: Os <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 11:15:18 +0000

Hi.

I'm using fvwm2 now on my SGI Indy (moved over from fvwm95, as it
happens).

I'd like to be able to use the SGI desktop icons aswell. However there's
a problem in that the icons get the left and middle button clicks, but
the right button is only handled by the window manager, whereas I want
the icons to get the right clicks if the mouse is over one of them.

Has anyone ever dealt with this problem?

Or, failing that, is there a way in fvwm2 to use icons as shortcuts to
files (as you can under the SGI desktop/Win95 etc.) rather than just as
iconized windows?

-- 
Os
[email-masked]
http://webworlds.net/os/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (A.J.vanWerven)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 12:24:18 +0100 (MET)

> the icons to get the right clicks if the mouse is over one of them.

Are you sure you haven't got a function defined for the right mouse button
when the mouse pointer is in the root window ?
That's the only reason I can think of, why the left and middle mouse
buttons work OK, but the right one doesn't.

> files (as you can under the SGI desktop/Win95 etc.) rather than just as

As far as I know, nope. You can't.
But a while ago, somebody posted a path or module that enabled file managing
right under our very fvwm2.

Hope this helps,

A. van Werven
Dept. of Computer Science, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Phone: +31 6 54212683
E-mail: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.wi.leidenuniv.nl/~avwerven

Life would be easier if I had the source code.

---

From: Os <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 11:29:09 +0000

> buttons work OK, but the right one doesn't.

I did, but removing it didn't help.

> right under our very fvwm2.

Don't suppose you remember what it was called/where to find it?

cheers,

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 11:39:00 -0500

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998 11:15:18 +0000
Os <[email-masked]> 
> Has anyone ever dealt with this problem?

I have vague recollections of encountering this in the past. The drag
and drop desktop functionality is provided by a daemon called
objectserver. IIRC this daemon grabs left and middle mouse clicks
and does its own thing with them. Right mouse click is passed to the
window manager unharmed.

Imagine you are running 4Dwm. On an open area of desk left mouse
rubberbands an area of desk. Middle mouse pastes text. Right mouse
is passed to the WM, which pops up a menu. So you could emulate
this by not using left and middle in fvwm, but bind right to an fvwm
menu.

It may be possible to change the behaviour of objectserver. Read its
documentation and let me know if you find anything :-)

Good luck.
Ric

Richard J Lister, Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Phone: +1 202-687 2878
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/