Subject: FVWM: How to retrieve a window that's gone off-screen

From: Michael Hucka <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:24:45 -0500 (EST)

Here's a stupid question.  I just managed to fling a window off the desktop
entirely in fvwm2, so that it doesn't show up in the pager box at all.  I
can't see it anywhere, not even a thin line at the edge of a window.

How can I get it back?  I need a "find such-and-such window and put it back
in the center of the screen" command, so I can get to it again.

(I'm running 2.0.45 under IRIX 5.3, in case that makes a difference.)

-- 
Mike Hucka   --   [email-masked]   --   PhD student, UNIX admin & programmer
  Read about how Microsoft really achieved its position of dominance in
  software and then think about what it means for you if they are allowed 
  to monopolize the industry: http://www.netaction.org/msoft/world/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (A. van Werven)
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 10:35:12 +0100 (MET)

Near 2000, Michael Hucka mumbled something about:

> Here's a stupid question.

Why would it be stupid ?

> I just managed to fling a window off the desktop entirely in fvwm2, so 
> that it doesn't show up in the pager box at all.

C | N > K

> in the center of the screen" command, so I can get to it again.

I can't think of the "put it in the..." command, but you should be able to
access it using the FvwmWinList module.
You can bind functions to the mouse clicks there.
So you pop up the WinList and click on a mouse button to activate the
"get it back" function somebody else will have to give you.

I just thought of another *really freaky* idea:
Create a new buttonbar with only one button in there, swallowing the lost
window. Then KillModule that buttonbar. The window should be released somewhere
within the current viewport, then :-)

Hope this makes any sense,

CIAO !

-- 

A. van Werven
Dept. of Computer Science, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Phone: +31 6 54212683
E-mail: [email-masked]
URL: http://cswww.wi.leidenuniv.nl/~avwerven

Life would be easier if I had the source code.

---

From: Pete Forman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 09:38:52 GMT

Use WindowList (bound to MS3 on my root window) or FvwmWinList or
FvwmIconMan to jump to the window.  Make it sticky and then return to
a desk.
-- 
Pete Forman
Western Geophysical
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Hucka <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 13:39:21 -0500 (EST)

>>>>> On 27 Feb 1998, Pete Forman <[email-masked]> wrote:

  gsez020> Use WindowList (bound to MS3 on my root window) or FvwmWinList or
  gsez020> FvwmIconMan to jump to the window.  Make it sticky and then return
  gsez020> to a desk.

(Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone on the list.)

For reasons I don't understand, my version of FvwmWinList does not do
anything when I click on the window's title in the list.  If I click mb2, I
can iconify and deiconify windows on the desktop, but that's it.

I rebind all my modified buttons (shift-, control-, meta-, etc.), so maybe if
the "jump to the window" functionality is on one of these shifted buttons,
that's why I wasn't able to use it?

---

From: [email-masked] (A. van Werven)
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 20:42:16 +0100 (MET)

> can iconify and deiconify windows on the desktop, but that's it.

Are you absolultely sure your *FvwmWinListAction lines are correct ?

CIAO.

-- 

A. van Werven

---

From: Michael Hucka <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 15:51:19 -0500 (EST)

>>>>> On 27 Feb 1998, [email-masked] (A. van Werven) wrote:

  avwerven> Near 2000, Michael Hucka mumbled something about:

  >> anything when I click on the window's title in the list.  If I click
  >> mb2, I can iconify and deiconify windows on the desktop, but that's it.

  avwerven> Are you absolultely sure your *FvwmWinListAction lines are
  avwerven> correct ?

I don't even change them in my .fvwm2rc, so I assume I'm getting whatever the
default is.

--
Mike Hucka    [email-masked]    http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~hucka    University
 PhD to be, computational models of human visual processing (AI Lab)     of
   UNIX systems administrator & programmer/analyst (EECS DCO)         Michigan
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Pete Forman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 09:38:52 GMT

---

From: Michael Hucka <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 16:40:50 -0500 (EST)

Although I didn't have a default binding in FvwmWinList that would jump to
the window as you suggested above, you nevertheless gave me a idea for how to
solve my problem.

I added the following entries for FvwmWinList in my fvwm configuration:

    *FvwmWinListAction	Click1 Iconify,Raise
    *FvwmWinListAction	Click2 Move 100p 100p
    *FvwmWinListAction	Click3 Module "FvwmIdent" FvwmIdent

The important binding is the one for Click2.  This now allows me to bring up
a list of windows through FvwmWinList, then click on mb2 in the list to
immediately move a window to the current viewport screen.

This allowed me to regain my missing window.

Thanks for your help (and everyone else's, too).

Mike