Subject: FVWM: Please !!!

From: "Jarkko kivistö" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 19:18:08 +0200

Hi !!
	Would you please put me on your mailing list. I also have a question. My
compu-
ter is Pentium100, I'm running Linux version RedHat 3.0.3 and X-server is
XFree86 
3.1.2 and window manager is fvwm2rc95. My videocard is Diamond Stealth SE.
My
problem is how can i get all texts readable. The texts in windows and menus
are ok, but
when I read man-pages, all text is black and nonreadable. Other text colors
and fonts I
have been able to change from .fvwm2rc95. Please answer my question, I'm
pretty desperate.

[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bruce Stephens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 17:04:19 +0000

[email-masked] said:
> Would you please put me on your mailing list. I also have a question.
> My compu- ter is Pentium100, I'm running Linux version RedHat 3.0.3
> and X-server is XFree86  3.1.2 and window manager is fvwm2rc95. My
> videocard is Diamond Stealth SE. My problem is how can i get all texts
> readable. The texts in windows and menus are ok, but when I read
> man-pages, all text is black and nonreadable. Other text colors and
> fonts I have been able to change from .fvwm2rc95. Please answer my
> question, I'm pretty desperate. 

You can subscribe yourself.  Send mail to [email-masked] with "help" 
somewhere in it, and it'll give you some help.

The colours of applications isn't set within fvwm.  Each application (like 
whatever you're using to view manpages; xman?) decides for itself what colours 
to use.  You should read its manpage to see how to do it!

Can you get a terminal window?  (xterm or equivalent.)  Does using "man ls" or 
something produce something you can read?  If so, then you're in business.

You probably need to set something in the .Xresources file, assuming that you 
have one (and assuming that it's read).  Applications tend to read the 
information which is created by xrdb when (and if, since it depends on your 
configuration) it reads that.

What happens if you run xman (or whatever is causing the problem) and 
explicitly specify the colours, like "xman -fg black -bg white"?  Or "xman -fg 
yellow -bg red", or something?

*sigh*  X11 is just too configurable to really be able to help much in these 
sorts of situations!  Especially since there are dozens of possible problems.