Subject: FVWM: Automatically moving a window from one viewport to another?

From: Chris Siebenmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 22:45:45 -0500

I would like to have some way of moving a window currently on another
viewport (of the current desk) to the current viewport through a fvwm2
function, with the window appearing in the same relative position on
the current viewport as it was on the old one. I'm aware that fvwm2
doesn't currently support this and I'd have to modify the source code;
I'm wondering if anyone has done this before, or if anyone can point me
at where and roughly what to fiddle.

 I suppose it might be doable through an external program or script that
forces the window around, instead of hacking fvwm2. if someone has done
this (or has a good idea of what to do) I'd be interested in details.

 Why I'd like to be able to do this: I manage my xterms through
FvwmIconMan and (for them) want the old fvwm1 StubbornIcons feature.
Since FvwmIconMan can run a fvwm function to (de)iconify things, I could
recreate StubbornIcons by a 'deiconify; move window to current viewport'
sequence[*].

	- cks
[*: it would probably even work reliably if I could grok what I needed
    to do with 'Current' to have the function only work on non-iconified
    windows. This may be a FvwmIconMan/fvwm interaction issue; Current's
    idea of the current window may not be FvwmIconMan's idea of it. My
    current code attempts to refocus on viewport of the de-iconified
    window with
	Iconify
	Current [!iconic *] Focus
    but that doesn't seem to work, so I'm just Focus'ing all the time.
    Possibly I am just misreading how to use 'Current'. Help welcome.
    I don't think I can get FvwmIconMan to apply one command to iconified
    windows and another to non-iconified ones on the same button press, but
    again I may not be grokking FvwmIconMan right.]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Feb 1998 22:33:46 +0100

>>>>> On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Chris Siebenmann said:

  Chris> I would like to have some way of moving a window currently on
  Chris> another viewport (of the current desk) to the current
  Chris> viewport through a fvwm2 function, with the window appearing
  Chris> in the same relative position on the current viewport as it
  Chris> was on the old one.

Does this work?

  - move to the page where it is now
  - make it sticky
  - move to the target page
  - make it unsticky

kai
-- 
OOP: object oriented programming;  OOPS: object oriented mistakes

---

From: [email-masked] (Kai Grossjohann)
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 21:33:46 GMT

Does this work?

kai