Subject: FVWM: Short cuts

From: Jeremy Dinsel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 10:27:25 -0500 (EST)

Is it possible to have shortcuts to applications on the fvwm desktop? To
my knowledge, it is only possible to have icons on the desktop that are
actively running. I would like a method for quick access to programs
through inactive icons that launch programs when double clicked
(unfortuantely, I can only compare it to micro-stuff desktop icons in
95/nt).

--
Jeremy Dinsel			   (PGP key: finger [email-masked] )
				   (PGP key: http://sighsy.cup.edu/~dinselj)
   Cal U Math and Computer         (PGP use preferred)
   Science World Wide Web           
   System Administrator

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: H}vard Fosseng <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 18:16:09 +0100 (MET)

> (unfortuantely, I can only compare it to micro-stuff desktop icons in

The below function might be modified to solve (the easiest) part of your
problem:

AddToFunc Create	I Next [$0] Iconify -1
+			I Next [$0] Focus
+			I None [$0] Exec $1
+			I Wait $0
+			I Next [$0] Focus

It is used as follows:

Key n	A  3	Create	Navigator "detach netscape"

i.e. the first parameter is a name that will match (the main window of)
the application, and the second parameter is the command line to start
it if it is not already running. When invoked, the function will
deiconify and give focus to the application if it exists, and launch it
if is does not exist.

The second part of your problem would be to create the icons and bind
some similar function to them. Others will probably have better ideas
there; I don't use icons, and I avoid the mouse.

- Håvard Fosseng

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 14:21:07 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, H}vard Fosseng wrote:

> [SNIP]

You might also want to look to the Xclass library distribution. The latest
version can be found at:

		ftp://mitac11.uia.ac.be/pub/xclass

When built, it contains a client called "desktop" which does what you need
it to. It sits on the desktop and creates icons. The documentation should
be clear enough and most people have no problem with the app, however you
should remember that this is alpha software (not beta). 
			-peace

--- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK ------------+-----------
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) | "In the morning glad I see
P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K? w++++  |  My foe outstrech'd beneath the tree."
O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5   |               -The Poison Tree
X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>*  h*(!) r-  |                William Blake
y*(+) ------ END GEEK CODE BLOCK -----+

---

From: Neil Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 17:56:47 -0500

Kendrick Vargas wrote:
> > [Deletia]

There is also Tycoon (an OffiX desktop manager) and kfm (the file
manager from KDE, which does desktop handling).

Tycoon is much smaller (memorywise and diskwise), but kfm does more
(and looks nicer, IMHO).  Both allow drag-and-drop (Tycoon with OffiX
programs, kfm with KDE programs).

I currently use fvwm2 and kfm together, with no problems whatsoever.
With a short Perl script (to convert a file:// URL into a filename),
you can even allow dragging of stuff from kfm onto FvwmWharf buttons.

The only problem with kfm is that you have to create a kdelnk for any
application you want to add.  kfm allows you to do that easily, though
(File->New->Progam).

-- 
-Neil Moore, [email-masked], http://www.sfloyd.ml.org/~amethyst/