Subject: FVWM: FvwmButtons sucking up CPU...

From: Jeff Wiegley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 20:18:18 +0000

So I've been sitting here at my computer running RedHat 4.2/5.0 and
Fvwm2 and I've been thinking...

   "Geeze, why does my K6-233 machine seem to be the slowest machine
    in the office?"

This thought has been around for the past few weeks but since we are
always getting newer faster computers I figured that mine was just
becoming obsolete in a hurry.

Well today Things were horrible and so I did top to see if accidentally
had some program I wrote churning out zombies or other detached processes
from my thesis program.  And what I found was I had seven instances of
FvwmButtons running and they were all fighting for 100%CPU attention.

I read the mailing list archives and noticed that others are having
similar problems but I couldn't find a fix for it.

my fvwm version is 2.0.46, does anybody have an unofficial patch for this
problem or know where I can get one?

- Jeff
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Tiefenback <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 15:37:22 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 30 Jan 1998, Jeff Wiegley wrote:

> [snip]

My feeble memory tells me that I once suffered from this, too, in long-ago
days (perhaps pre-version2), and that it was a (sometime later) fixed
problem with FvwmButtons not noticing that its pipes to its parent were
dead and gone.  The fix at the time was a few lines dealing with testing
the read pipe returns, exiting on closure of the pipes. I haven't noticed
it on my own office 2.0.46 setup, nor at home on the (2.0.43?) setup I'm
running.  I hope this helps someone, although I don't see how this
particular error could have crept back into the code. 

Michael Tiefenback

---

From: Grant McDorman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 16:27:30 -0500

I wrote the patch; the latest version is attached.

Other modules have the same problem; however, since they aren't used as much
the problem is not as visible.

-- 

Grant McDorman <[email-masked]>
ISG Technologies, Inc.  http://www.isgtec.com
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada