Subject: FVWM: Progress on fvwm95 or fvwm?

From: Peter S Galbraith <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 13:16:03 -0500

Development seems rather quiet on these two window managers.

fvwm95 is still at 2.0.43a (after a long time) and it would be nice if
a 2.0.43b were made with the pluggin version of FvwmTaskBar.

Alternatively, is FvwmTaskBar the only reason to use fvwm95 instead of
fvwm now that fvwm has mini-icons?  I'm not a big fan of FvwmWinList.
Uses too much screen real-estate for my tastes.  Can FvwmTaskBar work
in fvwm-2.0.46?  Or are people using TkGoodstuff-8.0a2 as an icon box?
  
  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~markcrim/tkgoodstuff/index-orig.html

(It's developement is stopped as well).  It looks good even if it
probably a few pixels higher than FvwmTaskBar.

Is fvwm still being worked on?

Just wondering...
-- 
Peter Galbraith, research scientist             <[email-masked]>
Maurice-Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada
P.O. Box 1000, Mont-Joli Qc, G5H 3Z4 Canada  418-775-0852 - FAX 418-775-0546
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: jim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 02:05:37 -0500

> Development seems rather quiet on these two window managers.

We're all busy tweaking our .rc files. ;)

 > [...] 
 > fvwm now that fvwm has mini-icons? [...]

If you want a win95-style taskbar, and don't need the other things
that fvwm95 gives you (whatever they may be; I don't ever use fvwm95),
then you have several choices:

 - The fvwm95 taskbar has been re-ported into the main fvwm2
   distribution , although for the moment it's in the extras/
   subdirectory. It compiles fine on the three platforms I have access
   to (linux/intel, linux/sparc, and HPUX/PA-RISC). I'm not sure that
   anyone is maintaining it, but it works when I try it.

 - You can, as you mention, use tkgoodstuff. The author has stopped
   maintaining it and produced a "final" version; I think it's been
   stated that he's willing to pass it off to someone who wants to/has
   demonstrated ability to maintain it.

 - You can roll your own, which is what I did (actually, I modified
   some sample settings) and achieve a task-bar with FvwmButtons and
   FvwmIconMan. Your mileage may vary; I prefer my setup to the "true"
   win95 taskbar, but it's pure opinion. 

If you decide on the last approach, make sure that you're using the
latest fvwm2 code, as some things don't work well under earlier
releases. 

Below is my setup, excerpted from my .fvwm2rc. The config has two
problems:

  - It's not quite wide enough; the taskbar leaves a gap of several
    pixels on the left of the screen.
  
  - mini-icons disappear in the titlebar for apps that aren't
    minimized.
----

*FvwmButtonsBack Grey
*FvwmButtonsGeometry -0-0
*FvwmButtonsRows 1
*FvwmButtonsFont -*-lucida-bold-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
*FvwmButtonsFore Black
*FvwmButtonsFrame 1

#*FvwmButtons(Size 40 24, Title (Side) "Start",  Icon mini.fvwm.xpm, Action "Menu Utilities Nop")
*FvwmButtons(1x1, NoSize, Container(Rows 1, Frame 1))
	*FvwmButtons(NoSize, Icon mini.netscape.xpm, \
		Action 'Exec /usr/local/netscape/netscape &')
	*FvwmButtons(NoSize, Icon mini.xterm.xpm, \
		Action 'Exec xterm -cn -T local -n local -ls &')
	*FvwmButtons(NoSize, Icon mini.xemacs.xpm, \
		Action 'Exec "xemacs" /usr/local/bin/xemacs&')
*FvwmButtons(End)
#*FvwmButtons(5x1, Size 390 24, Title(Side) "Foo", Icon mini.fvwm.xpm, Action "Exec xcalc")
*FvwmButtons(6x1, Size 514 24, Frame 0, Padding 0 0, \
	Swallow "FvwmIconMan" "FvwmIconMan")

*FvwmButtons(4x1, Size 285 24, Swallow "FvwmPager" "FvwmPager 0 3")
*FvwmButtons(1x1, NoSize, Frame 0, Container(Rows 1, Frame 1))
        *FvwmButtons(NoSize, Swallow "XLoad" \
                'Exec nice xload -fg black -bg LightGray \
                -geometry -1500-1500 -nolabel &')
*FvwmButtons(End)
#*FvwmButtons(NoSize, Title "Exit"  Action 'Module QuitVerify')

*FvwmIconMan*nummanagers	1
*FvwmIconMan*resolution		page
*FvwmIconMan*background		Gray
*FvwmIconMan*foreground		black
*FvwmIconMan*drawicons		true
*FvwmIconMan*buttongeometry	514x24
*FvwmIconMan*managergeometry	1x1-1500-1500
*FvwmIconMan*font		-*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
*FvwmIconMan*action		Mouse	1	N	sendcommand Raise, sendcommand Focus, sendcommand "Iconify -1"
*FvwmIconMan*action		Mouse	2	N	sendcommand "Iconify 1"
*FvwmIconMan*action		Mouse	3	N	sendcommand "Module FvwmIdent FvwmIdent"

*FvwmIconMan*action		Key	q	N	quit
*FvwmIconMan*followfocus	true
*FvwmIconMan*sort		true
*FvwmIconMan*format		"%i"
*FvwmIconMan*plainbutton		flat	black	Grey
*FvwmIconMan*selectbutton		up	black	Grey
*FvwmIconMan*focusbutton		up	black	Grey
*FvwmIconMan*focusandselectbutton	down	black	Grey
*FvwmIconMan*dontShow		class=FvwmButtons resource=FvwmPager

*FvwmIconMan*transient*geometry	194x100
*FvwmIconMan*transient*dontshow	icon=Untitled
*FvwmIconMan*transient*action	Mouse	0	A	sendcommand select select Iconify

*FvwmPagerBack SteelBlue
*FvwmPagerFore black
*FvwmPagerRows 1
*FvwmPagerColumns 4
*FvwmPagerFont none
*FvwmPagerHilight Grey
*FvwmPagerGeometry  272x22-1500-1500
*FvwmPagerLabel 0 Login
*FvwmPagerLabel 1 Remote
*FvwmPagerLabel 2 Emacs
*FvwmPagerLabel 3 Graphics
*FvwmPagerSmallFont none

Style "FvwmPager" NoTitle, NoHandles, BorderWidth 0

-----

- Jim
[email-masked]