Subject: FVWM: viewport scroll lock

From: Michael Reeves <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 00:23:55 -0800

Hello,

I enjoy having a virtual desktop page larger than my viewport;
however, occasionally I would like to lock the current viewport within
its position on the page (and lock the page in case the edge is within
mouse range)... perhaps assigning this function to a hot key (in much
the same way I occasionally use Num lock to lock the focus of a
window).

I've heard several people complain 'bout viewport scroll and edge page
jumping... both which have a solution; however, I feel locking the
viewport would resolve the source of these complaints in a on demand
fashion.

Has anyone attempted such a hack? Any chance of this function being
added in a future release?

Thanks,

Please cc me directly...

-- 
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Jan 1998 19:58:37 +0100

>>>>> On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Michael Reeves said:

  Michael> I've heard several people complain 'bout viewport scroll
  Michael> and edge page jumping... both which have a solution;
  Michael> however, I feel locking the viewport would resolve the
  Michael> source of these complaints in a on demand fashion.

Well, doesn't the EdgeScroll command provide a way to turn the
scrolling off?  Just bind a key to to "EdgeScroll 0 0" and another key
to "EdgeScroll 100 100" or whatever your values are.

In case EdgeScroll isn't enough and you need EdgeResistance as well,
just define a two functions and bind the key to those.

hth,
kai
-- 
Kai Grossjohann, Informatik VI        [email-masked]
Uni Dortmund, D-44221 Dortmund        http://ls6-www.cs.uni-dortmund.de/
                                      Vox +49 231 755 5670, Fax -2405
OOA: object oriented analysis         OOD: object oriented design
OOP: object oriented programming      OOPS: object oriented mistakes
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (A.J.vanWerven)
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 17:13:21 +0100 (MET)

> the same way I occasionally use Num lock to lock the focus of a

Ever considered mapping a key to a function that sets EdgeScroll and EdgeResistance ?
I think it should do the trick. In this fashion, you could also define an inverse of this.

Hope this helps,

CIAO di Al Grandi.

-- 
God is real, unless declared integer.

A. van Werven
Dept. of Computer Science, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Phone: +31 6 54212683
E-mail: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.wi.leidenuniv.nl/~avwerven