Subject: FVWM: fvwm can't load shared libraries

From: [email-masked] (Maya Tokman)
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 17:20:25 -0800

Hi,

I have been running Red Hat Linux 4.2 with Accelerated-X server and using
fvwm. It worked fine, but in the process of upgrading Linux to 5.0 and
reinstalling Accelerated X someting got screwed up and now when I am 
trying to start X windows session with fvwm the server crashes and I get 
the following error message:

fvwm: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6: undefined symbol _Xglobal_lock

Does anybody know what's going on?

Thanks.
Maya
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 21:06:19 -0500 (EST)

Maya--

Yes.  Short version: You can't do that.

Long version:  Red Hat Linux 5.0 is based on glibc-2.x ( = libc-6.x),
the GNU C library.  glibc is not compatible in several respects with
libc-5.x, which is the C library that shipped with Red Hat Linux 4.x.
Accelerated-X is very likely to have been built on a Linux distribution
that uses libc-5.x, not glibc, and it won't work on a glibc-based
system unless you provide the proper compatibility libraries.  You'll
need to check whether the proper libraries (and a mechanism for telling
applications to link with them instead of the default ones) are
available for Red Hat Linux 5.0.  Alternatively, you *might* be able to
find an Accelerated-X update that works on glibc-based systems; check
Xi's website about that.

This is one of those situations where a reading a lot of documentation
and thinking about things to make sure you don't break something is
useful.

In any event, questions about X servers really don't belong on the FVWM
mailing list---it's a little too far off-topic.

peace.

--jim

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% jim knoble %%%%%%%% [email-masked] %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Maya Tokman wrote:

: I have been running Red Hat Linux 4.2 with Accelerated-X server and using
: fvwm. It worked fine, but in the process of upgrading Linux to 5.0 and
: reinstalling Accelerated X someting got screwed up and now when I am 
: trying to start X windows session with fvwm the server crashes and I get 
: the following error message:
: 
: fvwm: error in loading shared libraries
: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6: undefined symbol _Xglobal_lock
: 
: Does anybody know what's going on?