Subject: FVWM: command line capture of file names with mouse double click

From: Pete Gaden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 11:04:02 +0000

I'm working on a Sun SPARCstation 5 using fvwm2 2.0.43 with one
login/fvwm2rc and on an ULTRASparc 2 using 2.0.43 with a different login
and resource file.   On one login ( the first ) if I double click on
(say) file.dat, only the
"file" part is highlighted but on the second the whole "file.dat" is
selected.  I can't for the life of me work out which bit of the
installation is causing this difference.   I would like to have the
"file.dat" behavior on both.   Anyone point me in the right direction?

Pete
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bruce Stephens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 11:24:52 +0000

[email-masked] said:
>  On one login ( the first ) if I double click on (say) file.dat, only
> the "file" part is highlighted but on the second the whole "file.dat"
> is selected. 

It's to do with how your terminal emulator is set up.  For XTerm, the 
charClass property controls this.  For example, I've got the following in my 
.Xdefaults file (which is read by "xrdb -merge $HOME/.Xdefaults" in .xinitrc:

#if 0
Make "/-~$" parts of words for double-clicking
#endif
XTerm*charClass:        47:48,45:48,126:48,36:48

Other terminal emulators may do it differently.  XTerm's is certainly 
documented in a file in the source tree; I think it's in the manpage too.

Nothing to do with fvwm, anyway.

---

From: Pete Gaden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 11:28:59 +0000

Yep,  that got it.    One login had

*XTerm*charClass:        33:48,37:48,45-47:48,64:48

in the ~/.Xresources.   I've added this to my other one and it's "done
the business".    Thanks again

Pete

---

From: "Patrick K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 09:00:34 -0800 (PST)

Hiya Pete,

> "file.dat" behavior on both.   Anyone point me in the right direction?

   I am not sure why the different behaviors but I'd guess it has
   something to do with the particular X server on each box.

   But as a work around you could get the "file.dat.and.some.more"
   highlighted if you:

      first:   double cliek on 'file'
     second:   as you do the above keep the mouse button depressed
               and continue dragging over the rest of the file name.

   You'll notice that i'll highlight each 'chunk' of the file.name.part.

   Personally I like this behavior since it allows me to easily
   rename a file using copy/paste over an xterm.

   Hope this helps,

Patrick ...
[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Knoble <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 15:01:59 -0500 (EST)

Pete--

This isn't really an FVWM issue.  Find the xterm man page and look for
the `charClass' resource, as well as the `CHARACTER CLASSES' section.

--jim

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% jim knoble %%%%%%%% [email-masked] %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Pete Gaden wrote:

: I'm working on a Sun SPARCstation 5 using fvwm2 2.0.43 with one
: login/fvwm2rc and on an ULTRASparc 2 using 2.0.43 with a different login
: and resource file.   On one login ( the first ) if I double click on
: (say) file.dat, only the
: "file" part is highlighted but on the second the whole "file.dat" is
: selected.  I can't for the life of me work out which bit of the
: installation is causing this difference.   I would like to have the
: "file.dat" behavior on both.   Anyone point me in the right direction?
: 
: Pete