Subject: Re: FVWM: Jump upon overcoming EdgeResistance

From: Kirk Hilliard <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Jan 1998 10:42:43 -0500

[Concerning my desire to be able to use "EdgeScroll 0 0" and
 "EdgeResistance 0 100" but still be able to drag a window 25 pixels
 off screen, something that I can't do now since the window jumps 100
 pixels when the EdgeResistance is overcome.]

I just got a reply from someone who said that he too was interested in
such a feature, but when he looked at the code he determined that it
would be more of a pain to do than he expected.

One alternative to the window not jumping when the EdgeResistance is
overcome is to turn EdgeResistance into a one-way barrier -- to make
the window jump on the way out, but to allow the window the be
smoothly dragged back in.  Thus, to move a window 25 pixels off
screen, I would initially drag it 100 pixels off screen to overcome
the EdgeResistance, and then drag it back 75 pixels.  This seems
easier to implement and possible more intuitive to use.

What do you think?  I do run "EdgeScroll 0 0", so I don't understand
how this change to EdgeResistance would affect shifts in viewport.

Kirk Hilliard
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Jan 1998 17:37:19 +0100

>>>>> On 28 Jan 1998, Kirk Hilliard said:

  Kirk> One alternative to the window not jumping when the EdgeResistance is
  Kirk> overcome is to turn EdgeResistance into a one-way barrier -- to make
  Kirk> the window jump on the way out, but to allow the window the be
  Kirk> smoothly dragged back in.  Thus, to move a window 25 pixels off
  Kirk> screen, I would initially drag it 100 pixels off screen to overcome
  Kirk> the EdgeResistance, and then drag it back 75 pixels.  This seems
  Kirk> easier to implement and possible more intuitive to use.

I think I once used an olwm or olvwm where this was true.  I loved
it.  But I think it is more difficult to implement than the current
scheme.  Who knows?

-- 
Kai Grossjohann, Informatik VI        [email-masked]
Uni Dortmund, D-44221 Dortmund        http://ls6-www.cs.uni-dortmund.de/
                                      Vox +49 231 755 5670, Fax -2405
OOP: object oriented programming;  OOPS: object oriented mistakes
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Manfred Bartz <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Jan 1998 03:37:49 +1100

Kirk Hilliard <[email-masked]> writes:

> What do you think?  

I like this suggestion, and I would most likely use it to maximize the 
part of an image I want to read/view,  e.g. with xdvi, ghostview, acroread.

>                     I do run "EdgeScroll 0 0", so I don't understand

-- 
Manfred Bartz <[email-masked]>