Subject: FVWM: Two niggling problems

From: Adrian Burd <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 09:51:03 -0600

I have just installed fvwm2.0.46 on a DEC Alpha running DU4.0. Apart
from two niggling problems, everything seems to work fine (many thanks
to those who have worked on the code!). 

Problem 1:  I explained this in a previous message - basically I seem
to be unable to decorate the titlebar buttons. I can colour them, but
I cannot place triangles, X's, pixmaps or anything else in them. They
all work as per the definitions in the .fvwm2rc file, but they look a
bit boring! I've tried using several sample fvwm2rc files, but without
any joy. Am I missing a piece of software? I have XPM installed and it
finds the suitable icons for the FvwmButtons. I have run out of ideas
on this one.

Problem2: When I launch Emacs from the command line (as I used to do
when using the DEC CDE), everything works fine. If I launch Emacs
using FvwmButtons, then mostly everything works, except that for some
reason in this case Emacs can no longer find ispell! This is confusing
since ispell is placed along with all the other emacs code (such as
bbdb) and that is found without a problem. Does Fvwm do something
weird with paths? BTW, I am using Emacs 19.27. 

Apart from these two niggling problems (I have to remember to start
Emacs from the command line if I want to use email and I have to
remember what the blank titlebar buttons do) fvwm is wonderful - it
runs on my Linux box at home without a problem. Many thanks to all
those involved in keeping it going.

Adrian

-- 
_____________________________________________________________________
                             | 
Adrian Burd,                 | Quidquid Latinae dictum sit,
Dpt. of Oceanography,        | altum videtur.
Texas A&M University,        | 
College Station ,            |--------------------------------------- 
Texas 77843-3146             |
F: (409) 847 8879            | http://www-ocean.tamu.edu/~ecomodel
W: (409) 845 1115            |
_____________________________|_______________________________________

Disclaimer: I am not the official spokesperson for anyone, for which 
            organisations that use spokespersons are profoundly
            grateful.

______________________________________________________________________

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Wesley Hart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 10:30:32 -0600

> finds the suitable icons for the FvwmButtons. I have run out of ideas

I glanced over the ButtonStyle definitions you included in your previous
mail and see nothing wrong with them.  I'll take the approach of an
earlier poster and show you what works for me:

ButtonStyle Reset
ButtonStyle 1 Vector 5 20x70@0 20x60@1 80x60@1 80x70@0 20x70@0
ButtonStyle 4 Default 6
ButtonStyle 5 Vector 4 20x30@0 80x30@1 50x80@0 20x30@1
ButtonStyle 6 Vector 9 20x40@0 20x30@1 80x30@1 80x40@0 52x40@0 52x65@0 \
                       48x65@0 48x40@1 20x40@0

These obviously won't be the button styles that you want, but you
might be able to use them as a starting point.

> weird with paths? BTW, I am using Emacs 19.27. 

Fvwm inherits the environment (including paths) of whatever process
invokes it.  If you do a console login followed by 'startx' (or your
local equivalent), fvwm gets the same PATH info as your login shell.
If you use xdm, on the other hand, control gets passed to fvwm via
your .xsession file, so you'll want to set up your path info for fvwm
there.

Hope this was of some help to you.  Good luck!

-- 
Wesley Hart