Subject: Re: FVWM: viewport scroll lock

From: Michael Reeves <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 16:18:31 -0800

Michael> I've heard several people complain 'bout viewport scroll
  Michael> and edge page jumping... both which have a solution;
  Michael> however, I feel locking the viewport would resolve the
  Michael> source of these complaints in a on demand fashion.

Kai> Well, doesn't the EdgeScroll command provide a way to turn the
Kai> scrolling off?  Just bind a key to to "EdgeScroll 0 0" and
Kai> another key to "EdgeScroll 100 100" or whatever your values are.

Kai> In case EdgeScroll isn't enough and you need EdgeResistance as
Kai> well, just define a two functions and bind the key to those.

Kai> hth, kai

I believe you've misunderstood the request. I'm not interested in just
locking the page, I'm interested in locking the viewport (i.e. the area
of the page currently being viewed).

-- 
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Jan 1998 23:05:56 -0600

>>>>> "MR" == Michael Reeves <[email-masked]> writes:

MR> I believe you've misunderstood the request. I'm not interested in just
MR> locking the page, I'm interested in locking the viewport (i.e. the area
MR> of the page currently being viewed).

Then this isn't a window manager issue; because the smooth scrolling
virtual size support comes from the X server.  You'll have to check its
documentation and see if it has a way to lock the scrolled region.

 - J<

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jan 1998 09:46:17 +0100

>>>>> On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Michael Reeves said:

  Michael> I believe you've misunderstood the request. I'm not
  Michael> interested in just locking the page, I'm interested in
  Michael> locking the viewport (i.e. the area of the page currently
  Michael> being viewed).

There are two different things: some PC graphics cards provide a way
to have a desktop size that is greater than the physical screen
dimensions, and when the mouse reaches the edge of the screen, they do
scrolling (or "panning" as it is also called).  And the second thing
is that Fvwm provides for something similar.

Of course, how to enable or disable the hardware panning of the video
card with a keypress has nothing to do with fvwm.  I don't know how
this is done.  I hate it, so I configured my X server so that it is
turned off at all times.  For toggling this with a keypress, maybe you
should contact the people who created your X server?

I gave you information on enabling/disabling the equivalent fvwm
feature.  You can set the size of the virtual desktop with the
DesktopSize keyword and you can enable/disable the scrolling with
EdgeScroll.

kai
-- 
Kai Grossjohann, Informatik VI        [email-masked]
Uni Dortmund, D-44221 Dortmund        http://ls6-www.cs.uni-dortmund.de/
                                      Vox +49 231 755 5670, Fax -2405
OOA: object oriented analysis         OOD: object oriented design
OOP: object oriented programming      OOPS: object oriented mistakes
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 12:03:18 -0500

On 12 Jan 1998 09:46:17 +0100
Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]> 
> is that Fvwm provides for something similar.

I assume that you're using XFree86 or MetroX or some similar thing on
an Intel box. You can turn off the hardware scrolling using the 'Virtual'
command in your X server config file (probably /etc/X11/XF86Config or
Xconfig or something like that).

If your actual resolution is 1600x1200 then say
    Virtual 1600 1200
and so on (make sure it is in the correct "Display" section).

Then use fvwm's scrolling as described by a previous poster.

Ric

Richard J Lister, Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Phone: +1 202-687 2878
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Reeves <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 22:31:20 -0800

>>>>> "Jason" == Jason L Tibbitts <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>>> "MR" == Michael Reeves <[email-masked]> writes:
MR> I believe you've misunderstood the request. I'm not interested in
MR> just locking the page, I'm interested in locking the viewport
MR> (i.e. the area of the page currently being viewed).

Jason> Then this isn't a window manager issue; because the smooth
Jason> scrolling virtual size support comes from the X server.  You'll
Jason> have to check its documentation and see if it has a way to lock
Jason> the scrolled region.

Jason>  - J<

Yes, of course... this question was misdirected to fvwm. My
apologies. I've even seen this occasionally when switching between
window managers. Hopefully this feature can be added as one of XF86
Ctrl-Alt hotkeys.

Thanks to all who replied (although I was already aware of documented
EdgeScroll, EdgeResistance, and XF86Config's Virtual).