Subject: FVWM: tkgoodstuff

From: Bruce Stephens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 15:05:47 +0000

And, not only has tkgoodstuff's developer given up, the mailing lists have 
gone too.  (I'm not trying to blame the developer here, it's perfectly 
reasonable to do this---it's just annoying!)  Any chance of hpc.uh.edu hosting 
a list?  Perhaps tkgoodstuff being an official contributed fvwm module, so 
development can continue by members of this list?

I've got it working much as I want, but there are some annoyances.  

There doesn't seem to be a way of reordering items in preferences.  For 
example, if I decide I want the clock to go after the pager, instead of 
before. Not too bad, since I always have my trusty text editor, but I ought to 
be able to drag it.

I'd quite like to use the WindowList client, since it looks more fun than 
fvwm's, but I haven't found a way of doing it nicely yet.  I don't want it in 
the main tkgoodstuff, because I've got too much else there.  A button which 
popped up a client would be OK, but that doesn't seem to work (I just get an 
empty window); perhaps I've just got the syntax wrong?

Similarly, a dedicated tkgoodstuff would be OK (possibly better), but I can't 
seem to persuade it to work properly.  If I have it auto-hidden on the right 
hand side of the screen, it's so narrow that I can't read much of the window 
names, and if I have it at the top of the screen, then it's so thin that it 
only gives one line of windows.  If I explicitly resize it to about three 
lines, then it looks great; so how on earth can I get it this size by default? 
 None of the preference options seem to do the right thing: the WindowLists's 
geometry doesn't seem to do anything, and the main tkgoodstuff geometry is 
ignored, since I want it in edge mode.  *sigh* So what *do* I need to set?

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 10:23:03 -0500 (EST)

> before. Not too bad, since I always have my trusty text editor, but I ought to 
Well I don't know what version you are running but I'm using version 8,
and I know it lets me drag buttons around.  Just hold left mouse down on
the one you want to move and drag it on top of the one that you want it to
come after i.e if you have buttons 1 2 3 and want to make the order 1 3 2,
you just drag button three onto 1 and then the preferences screen will
list them as 1 3 2 

> empty window); perhaps I've just got the syntax wrong?
That is one of the reasons that I switched back to FvwmIconMan, the other
is once I had a large number of windows on the list it stopped adding them
and then the list goes blank

> ignored, since I want it in edge mode.  *sigh* So what *do* I need to set?
Can't help on this one always dumps when I try to run it in edge mode,
although it may just be my configuration.

--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous

---

From: Bruce Stephens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 15:36:40 +0000

[email-masked] said:
> Well I don't know what version you are running but I'm using version
> 8, and I know it lets me drag buttons around.  Just hold left mouse
> down on the one you want to move and drag it on top of the one that
> you want it to come after

You're right.  It's just quite picky about when you release the button, but it 
does work.

[email-masked] said:
> That is one of the reasons that I switched back to FvwmIconMan, the
> other is once I had a large number of windows on the list it stopped
> adding them and then the list goes blank 

Oh dear.  This probably won't affect me, since I rarely have 10 windows open, 
let alone a large number.

---

From: "Peter A. Newson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 17:34:46 +0000

On Thu, 04 Dec 1997 10:23:03 EST, Brad Giaccio wrote:

> fvwm's, but I haven't found a way of doing it nicely yet.  I don't want it i
 +>n 
> popped up a client would be OK, but that doesn't seem to work (I just get an
 +> 
> empty window); perhaps I've just got the syntax wrong?
I also tried to pop up the client but just got a blank panel.

Instead I use a Panel and a PutPanel, something like:

Panel Windows
Client WindowList
EndPanel
PutPanel Windows

also a option for the geometry of the windowlist:

TKGSet PutPanelWindows(geometry) 1060x36+92-0

Works a treat.

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Dec 1997 22:26:14 -0600

>>>>> "BS" == Bruce Stephens <[email-masked]> writes:

BS> And, not only has tkgoodstuff's developer given up, the mailing lists
BS> have gone too.  (I'm not trying to blame the developer here, it's
BS> perfectly reasonable to do this---it's just annoying!)  Any chance of
BS> hpc.uh.edu hosting a list?  Perhaps tkgoodstuff being an official
BS> contributed fvwm module, so development can continue by members of this
BS> list?

I have no problems with tkgoodstuff being discussed here (and on
fvwm-workers) as long as it stays FVWM related.  I don't know how
applicable tkgoodstuff is to other window managers, so this may eventually
cause problems.  I'm happy to create other lists if there is a real need.

 - J<