Subject: Re: FVWM: 24-bit color screens and fvwm?

From: Thomas Boyda <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 09:54:17 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

> I have been using fvwm very happilly for a number of years. Recently
> I got a brand new Sun with 24-bit color frame buffer. My default
> installation still doesn't seem to give me access to more than 356
> colors.
> 
> What should I do to access the 24-bit color realm and still enjoy
> fvwm?? Should I use a special Xserver?

I use the following command to start X on my Sparc system with a ffb and cgsix
frame buffers:

#!/bin/sh
#
# Start X using the Sun supplied X server and set the color depth for
# the ffb to be 24bits
/usr/openwin/bin/xinit -- /usr/openwin/bin/X :0 -dev /dev/fb0 defdepth 24 \
	-dev /dev/cgsix0 -auth /homes/boyda/.xsun.molecule:0

Tom.

---
Thomas J. Boyda
[email-masked], [email-masked]	Systems Administrator
Systems Management and Administration    	 GTE Internetworking
Network Services - Operations			   Powered by BBN
http://www.bbn.com
410-309-8644 (voice) 410-309-8604 (fax)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Eric Brandwine <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 11:45:57 -0500

> > fvwm?? Should I use a special Xserver?
I assume that you are referring to the Creator graphics on the Ultra
hardware platform.

The Creator will only run in 24 bit mode.  However, it also supplies 8
bit PseudoColor visuals as well.  That is why it cannot run more than
1280x1024 even though it has 5 megs of video RAM.

By default, the default visual is 8 bit.  The script that was referenced
earlier in the thread changed the default visual. If you are using CDE,
it is not trivial to change the way that the X server is invoked,
especially without root access.

You can also specify the visual that FVWM attempts to use.  See the man
page for details.

ericb