Subject: FVWM: I have been lurking this list...

From: Jason Wells <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 18:23:20 +0000

Is that icky 'FVWM:' thing in the subject line something that is done as
some matter of list culture or does majordomo do that to all of the mail?

$.02 - If the latter, is it really needed? It seems predetermined that the
subject has something to do with fvwm.

Thanks,
Jason Wells
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Dec 1997 12:43:20 -0600

>>>>> "JW" == Jason Wells <[email-masked]> writes:

JW> Is that icky 'FVWM:' thing in the subject line something that is done
JW> as some matter of list culture or does majordomo do that to all of the
JW> mail?

The list members wanted it; I added it.  Majordomo _can_ do this to the
subject, if configured to do so.  If you've never seen it, you must not be
on many mailing lists.

I don't like it either, but then I use procmail and just remove it when I
filter my mail.

 - J<

---

From: lar3ry gensch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 13:44:25 -0500 (EST)

> subject has something to do with fvwm.

Well, IMHO, the FVWM: prefix on the Subject: line (this doesn't appear
on the fvwm-workers list, by the way) is a godsend; I can glance at the
subject line to figure which mailing list the message comes from.  If
you subscribe to multiple mailing lists, you may eventually find this a
help.

Majordomo DOES add the prefix, if the prefix isn't already there.  But
only if it is told to do so in its configuration.  The FVWM95 mailing
list also adds a prefix (FVWM95).

-- 
(void) lar3ry();                                      [email-masked]

     "Sometimes it happens.  People just explode.  Natural causes."

---

From: David Wren-Hardin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 11:44:20 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Jason Wells wrote:

> Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 18:23:20 +0000
> From: Jason Wells <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: FVWM: I have been lurking this list...
> 

This allowws us to sort on what type of mail it is. If you
notice, in my headers the email appears to be from you,
]not the fvwm list. So sorting by the from header wouldn't help
any. Having a consistent subject line is a great help though.

David Wren-Hardin 		| Thousands of years ago the Egyptians
[email-masked]	| worshipped cats as gods. Cats have
http://weber.u.washington.edu	| never forgotten this.
      /~dwrenhar/

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 20:57:46 +0100

> any. Having a consistent subject line is a great help though.

Configuring Majordomo to put From, To or some field to the mailinglist,
instead of whatever the users sends to would help too.

/Tomas
-- 
,oOo--------------------------------------------  - -
| Tomas Ögren, [email-masked], http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
| o Student of Computer Engineering at the University of Umeå
| o Sysadmin at ing.umu.se
`o------------------------------- - -  -
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 19:22:33 -0500 (EST)

> subject has something to do with fvwm.

Yes, it is the latter... And it is generally done as a courtesy to people
on ANY mailing list to allow them to use mailing filters to seperate their
mailboxes (i.e.. the fvwm list has "FVWM:", the fOX list uses "[fOX]", The
Turtle Beach Multisound list uses "[MS]" ... etc). It is usefull, trust me
;)
			-peace

--- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK ------------+-----------
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) | "In the morning glad I see
P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K? w++++  |  My foe outstrech'd beneath the tree."
O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5   |               -The Poison Tree
X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>*  h*(!) r-  |                William Blake
y*(+) ------ END GEEK CODE BLOCK -----+

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Dec 1997 12:59:36 +0100

>>>>> On Mon, 08 Dec 1997, Jason Wells said:

  Jason> Is that icky 'FVWM:' thing in the subject line something that
  Jason> is done as some matter of list culture or does majordomo do
  Jason> that to all of the mail?

The list maintainer has added this for those people who do not use
procmail or an equivalent program for automatically sorting mails
based on headers.  Said people can look at their inbox and see at a
glance which mails are from which mailing list and which mails are
private.

I do agree that using procmail or an equivalent would be a better
idea, though...

-- 
Kai Grossjohann, Informatik VI        [email-masked]
Uni Dortmund, D-44221 Dortmund        http://ls6-www.cs.uni-dortmund.de/
                                      Vox +49 231 755 5670, Fax -2405
I like both kinds of music.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].