Subject: FVWM: Icon manipulation help needed

From: Brandon Waldo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 11:00:20 -0600 (CST)

Greetings FVWMers,

I am asking for some help here so please bear with me.

I am trying to manage my icons on my workstation a little bit better.
I am using FVWM version 2.0.46 on a RS/6000 running AIX 4.1.

Currently the way I handle my Icons is by using the following command
in my .fvwmrc:

Style *         IconBox -15 500 -1 -1

This command puts all the icons on my page on the left hand side about
half way down the screen.  Each icon is then added down the page.
Once it reaches the bottom of the page, it starts putting them
somewhere on the top of the page. This probably is not the best way to
handle icons.

I would like to be able to manage the icons a little bit better.  Here
is my wish list of the things I would like to be able to do:

1) Have mini icons next to the icon title without the large icons
displayed.  It would like to save space and use mini icons instead of
the large icons.

2) Be able to distinguish between applications and have a different
location for icons based on these applications.  For example, one
column for xterms, one column for emacs, and one column for the rest.

I already have different decors set up for this, so the icon title
colors are already different.

2)  Be able to have the icons added from the bottom and go up. 

I may be asking for a lot.  I tried to use IconMan to accomplish this
(Thanks to Ric Lister), but had several problems.  IconMan started
well, but when I clicked on the icons, all the icons disappeared, as
if IconMan crashed or something.  Here is a snip of my .fvwmrc that
sets up IconMan:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
## 3 managers: 1 = all, 2 = xterms, 3 = emacs
*FvwmIconMan*nummanagers 3
*FvwmIconMan*resolution page
*FvwmIconMan*font -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

## can have %t(itle), %i(con), %c(lass), %r(esource)
*FvwmIconMan*format %i

*FvwmIconMan*buttongeometry 140x10

*FvwmIconMan*shape True
*FvwmIconMan*usewinlist True 
*FvwmIconMan*DrawIcons True

## buttons are: {flat,up,down,raisededge,sunkedge} [forecolor backcolor]
*FvwmIconMan*plainbutton Up
*FvwmIconMan*focusbutton Up Black PaleVioletRed
*FvwmIconMan*selectbutton down
*FvwmIconMan*focusandselectbutton down

*FvwmIconMan*followfocus true

*FvwmIconMan*sort false

#*FvwmIconMan*[id*]action {Key,Mouse,Select} binding
##           args:            SendCommand manager window command
#*FvwmIconMan*action Mouse 1 N sendcommand "Iconify -1"
#*FvwmIconMan*action Mouse 2 N sendcommand Iconify
#*FvwmIconMan*action Mouse 3 N sendcommand RaiseLower

## show all windows except xterms & emacs
*FvwmIconMan*1*managergeometry 1x10-450+0
*FvwmIconMan*1*title      "FvwmIconMan: All windows"
*FvwmIconMan*1*iconname   "FvwmIconMan: All windows"
*FvwmIconMan*1*dontshow   resource=XTerm resource=NXTerm resource=dtterm resource=emacs resource=aixterm
*FvwmIconMan*1*background #009900
*FvwmIconMan*1*foreground White

## show just xterms
*FvwmIconMan*2*managergeometry 2x10-0+0
*FvwmIconMan*2*show       resource=XTerm resource=NXTerm resource=aixterm resource=dtterm
*FvwmIconMan*2*title      "FvwmIconMan: XTerms"
*FvwmIconMan*2*iconname   "FvwmIconMan: XTerms"
*FvwmIconMan*2*background SlateBlue3
*FvwmIconMan*2*foreground Black

## show just emacs
*FvwmIconMan*3*managergeometry 1x10-300+0
*FvwmIconMan*3*show       resource=emacs
*FvwmIconMan*3*title      "FvwmIconMan: Emacs"
*FvwmIconMan*3*iconname   "FvwmIconMan: Emacs"
*FvwmIconMan*3*background GoldenRod
*FvwmIconMan*3*foreground Black
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So I guess I don't know what I am doing.

If anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

__________________________________/~~~~~~~\__/~~~~~~~~\_/~~\/~~\/~~\__
_ Brandon T. Waldo _______________/~~\__/~~\____/~~\____/~~\/~~\/~~\__
_ [email-masked] _____________/~~~~~~~\_____/~~\____/~~\/~~\/~~\__
_ Motorola PowerPC Development ___/~~\__/~~\____/~~\____/~~\/~~\/~~\__
__________________________________/~~~~~~~\_____/~~\_____/~~~~~~~~\___
   "I'm a very dangerous fellow when I don't know what I'm doing."
			      	    	    	- Dr. Who
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: R Dicaire <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 21:04:12 -0500 (EST)

As I recall you can define more than one IconBox...try that. As for the
rest,I can't help :)