Subject: FVWM: A missing feature...

From: timothy paul lottes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 02:05:35 -0600 (CST)

One really nice feature of twm that was cut in the creation of fvwm was
the use of non X11 standard cursors by the window manager.  Twm allows
for the user to set a cursor and mask file instead of just a reference to
a standard X cursor.  

I'm not sure how many others would also like to be able to create and use
there own cursors for use with fvwm, but it would be a nice feature (and
hopefully an easy one to add)...

Then again it probably isn't very high on the list of things to get done
:)

Just a though. 
                                           _ 
                                       _  \_\                  _   _  
                                   ___/ |__ _________  _____ _/ |_| |
                                   \__   __\\  _   _ \/  _  \_   __\|__  
___________________________________   | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |  _ \
                                      | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | \ \
Timothy Lottes                        | | | | | | | | | |_| | | | | | | |
[email-masked]             \  \|_/_| |_| \ \_____/ \  \|_| |_| 
http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~tlottes  \_/           \/        \_/
_________________________________________________________________________

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Patrick K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 01:54:57 -0800 (PST)

Hi there ...

Sometime in the late 1900s Timothy Lottes ([email-masked]) wrote:

TL> One really nice feature of twm that was cut in the creation of fvwm was
TL> the use of non X11 standard cursors by the window manager.  Twm allows
TL> for the user to set a cursor and mask file instead of just a reference to
TL> a standard X cursor.  
TL> 
TL> I'm not sure how many others would also like to be able to create and use
TL> there own cursors for use with fvwm, but it would be a nice feature (and
TL> hopefully an easy one to add)...

   I'd agree that it would be a nice add.on feature.  How about support
   for animated cursors?  So the user could specify a sequence of cursors
   to be used (just thinking aloud here).

TL> Then again it probably isn't very high on the list of things to get done

   And I'd also agree here too...

Patrick ...

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 08:17:27 -0500 (EST)

> hopefully an easy one to add)...

Or instead of writing a lot of extra code you could just put a line like
this in your Init function
 Exec xsetroot -cursor /home/bgiaccio/lib/graphics/cur2.xbm
/home/bgiaccio/lib/graphics/cur2.mask &

Where depending on your X server you can use between 32x32 to 64x64.
Although this just gives you a simple black and white non animated cursor
it is better than using the standard cursors all the time.

Hope this is what you are looking for.
Brad

P.S.
I created my cursor in a few minutes with the bitmap program that should
be in your distribution and then just hit invert to create the mask for
it.