Subject: FVWM: Thankfully, the mailing lists are archived...

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 10:11:44 -0500

Howdy all.

Just wanted to send a quick note saying that my mail died for a few
hours yesterday, and I lost a lot of the very good discussion (and
emotional feud) that was generated.  But, as the subject says,
thankfully the mailing lists are archvied, so I'm catching up on
everything that I missed...

A few notes on things I've seen so far:

        - I had also coded up a bitfield vs bitmasks test like Dan
          did, and under AIX (have to try Linux still) running like
          100,000,000 sets & clears, the times it took for each (under
          both xlc and gcc) were VERY similar.  Didn't compare the
          generated assembler though, I'll have to do that.  But since
          the times are so similar, I doubt a performance hit will
          actually be noticed.  The times, in case anyone is
          interested:

       AIX xlc -g:          23 seconds for both
               -O2:         3 seconds for bitfield, 0 for bitwise &/|
       AIX gcc 2.7.2.1 -g:  29 for bitfield, 27 for bitwise
                       -O2: 6 seconds for both

          Still need to do some more testing though.

        - I like all of the feedback I saw.  Thanks!  Still reading it
          all...

I'll try and make more responses to mail I missed as I can.  If anyone
sent anything to me directly and didn't copy the list, you may want to
resend it...

Thanks,
Chuck

--
*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis Developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

         "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're just havin' a nightmare
             -- of course, we ARE still in Hell." (Gary Larson)
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].