Subject: FVWM: Wallpaper

From: Craig Hutchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 17:27:38 -0500

Hi,

    Does FVWM or X11R6 have the ability to display a backgroup
wallpaper.  If so, how is it done?  If not I would be interested in
doing it.  How difficult do you think it will be?  Where in the source
code would I start? I do ALOT of coding in UNIX using C, but I don't
have much exposure to the X Windows coding environment.

Thanks,

Craig Hutchison

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Patrick K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 14:47:53 -0800 (PST)

Hi there,

   I'd suggest you take a look at 'man xsetroot' and also play
   with xv to tile images to the background (see 'man xv').

   Hope this helps,

Patrick ...

Sometime in the late 1900s Craig Hutchison wrote:

CH>     Does FVWM or X11R6 have the ability to display a backgroup
CH> wallpaper.  If so, how is it done?  If not I would be interested in
CH> doing it.  How difficult do you think it will be?  Where in the source
CH> code would I start? I do ALOT of coding in UNIX using C, but I don't
CH> have much exposure to the X Windows coding environment.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jeff Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 16:45:10 -0600 (CST)

Check out xpmroot  (man xpmroot).

>have much exposure to the X Windows coding environment.
----------------------------------
E-Mail: Jeff Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: 13-Dec-97
Time: 16:45:10

http://jbrown.fastrans.net

This message was sent by XFMail
----------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Trent Piepho <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 14:53:02 -0800 (PST)

> have much exposure to the X Windows coding environment.

Fvwm itsself doesn't do wall paper.  The background of the root window can be
set by any program.  One might use xsetroot to get solid color or stipple
patterns.  For a more textured background xpmroot (which comes with fvwm) will
let you load in an xpm file as a background.  If you want to load in a jpg or
gif or something, try xv.  xv -root -quit foo.jpg will load the picture into
the root window, then have xv exit.  xpmroot is faster than xv, but can only
load xpm files.

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun.   |
|Trent Piepho ([email-masked])                   -- Metallica  |

---

From: [email-masked] (A.J.vanWerven)
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 09:00:45 +0100 (MET)

Near 2000, Craig Hutchison mumbled something about:

> wallpaper.

Call a UNIX command in your InitFunc.

> If so, how is it done?

AddToFunc InitFunc
 "I" A_Lot_Of_Other_Garbage_Perhaps_?
+ "I" Exec (xv -root -quit -max /home/somebody/image.gif &)

Hope this helps.

CIAO di Al Grandi.

-- 
God is real, unless declared integer.

A. van Werven
Dept. of Computer Science, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Phone: +31 6 54212683
E-mail: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.wi.leidenuniv.nl/~avwerven

---

From: Michael Tiefenback <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 09:25:02 -0500 (EST)

> have much exposure to the X Windows coding environment.

I don't know what goes on with HP-VUE, but _it_ puts some kind of
wallpaper up which apparently distinct from the X server's background.  At
least it appears so to me, the simple user.  If I put up an xsetroot or
xpmroot or xview -root <stuff> background and invoke Vue, it covers the
background with whatever it wants (unless it is told to use no backdrop). 
When the user exits Vue, the old background is exposed again.  How it does
this, I don't know.  But I do know that with a Vue-specified background,
invoking xsetroot and cousins will not overwrite it.  If you want to do
the xearth thing, for instance, you must select a blank Vue background or
you simply won't ever see xearth.  I found these things empirically and
never have understood what Vue does.  Is it possible that Mr. Hutchison is
speaking of this kind of feature?

I also believe that FvwmBacker serves this purpose, and has not yet been
mentioned in the several replies I have seen.

Michael Tiefenback