Subject: FVWM: Focus in 2.0.46

From: Guido Notari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 20:18:27 +0100

I finally decided to compile and install version 2.0.46, after many
months with .45...
All's well, except for a little glitch: Focus doesn't seem to also raise
a window, as it should.
I've always got the Alt-tab key combination binded to a Prev Focus
command.  
It has always worked as expected in fvwm 2.0.45, but as I installed
version .46 typing the combination now only switches focus, without
rising the focused window.
The manual page says that Focus "Raises the window if needed to make it
visible."  Indeed it worked that way with the previous version.
Now I had to write a small function to explicitly Focus and Raise a
window.  Is it a known problem or did I miss something?

				Ciao
					Guido

-- 
      |\      _,,,---,,_       Guido Notari
ZZzz  /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_   e-mail: [email-masked] 
     |,4-  ) )-,_..;\ (  `'-'  http://www.aspide.it/freeweb/sicurvolo/
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)       ICBM: 45.73 deg. N, 8.10 deg. E
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 14:29:23 -0500

Guido Notari <[email-masked]> writes:

> months with .45...  All's well,  except  for a little glitch:  Focus
> doesn't seem to also raise a window, as  it should.  I've always got
> the Alt-tab key combination binded to a Prev  Focus command.  It has
> always worked as expected in fvwm 2.0.45, but as I installed version
> .46  typing the combination now only  switches focus, without rising
> the focused window.  The  manual page  says  that Focus "Raises  the
> window if  needed to make  it visible."  Indeed  it worked  that way
> with the previous  version.  Now I had  to write a small function to
> explicitly Focus and Raise a window.  Is it a known problem or did I
> miss something?

You missed something:

>From the ChangeLog:

       37. Focus command no longer raises - use an interpreted
           focus-and-raise function if that's desired

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 14:52:10 -0500

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997 14:29:23 -0500
Dan Espen <[email-masked]> 
> Guido Notari <[email-masked]> writes:
...
> > window if  needed to make  it visible."  Indeed  it worked  that way
...
>            focus-and-raise function if that's desired
...

But the man page still says "Raises the window if needed to make it visible", 
so that needs changing.

Ric

Richard J Lister, Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Phone: +1 202-687 2878
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].