Subject: FVWM: Re: TaskBar (was Re: 1.24 or 2.x ? )

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 11:24:54 GMT

> Well, sure.  Fvwm95 has some nice features which fvwm2 could usefully steal, 
> however.  The TaskBar hiding feature is nice, for example.  I have an 
> FvwmButtons with a bunch of things stuck in it (pager, xclipboard, etc.) which 
> sits at the bottom of my screen.  It would be nice (as an option) to have it 
> disappear like the taskbar can, so I'd get at it by moving my mouse over it.  
> Better than StaysOnTop, because it would only take a couple of pixels.  
> Similarly, I can see this would be nice for icon boxes.

Funnily enough I have thought the same and came up with a solution, it uses 
FvwmAuto:

Style FvwmButtons Sticky, NoTitle, CirculateSkip, HandleWidth 0, MouseFocus
AddToFunc my_hide_in    "I" Current [FvwmButtons] Move 0p 880p
+                       "I" Current [FvwmButtons] Raise
AddToFunc my_hide_out   "I" Next [FvwmButtons CirculateHit] Move 0p 1000p
FvwmAuto 0 my_hide_in my_hide_out

The coordinates of the Move's move my FvwmButtons partly off the bottom so that 
just the swallowed FvwmIconMan is visible, you will need to adjust these. It 
would be nice to use AnimatedMove (hint hint).  Also it doesn't use StaysOnTop 
but it does raise when the mouse enters.  The hiding/revealing happens without 
delay since you can only give one timeout to FvwmAuto.  I tried the one FvwmAuto 
line with

FvwmAuto 0 my_hide_in
FvwmAuto 500 Nop my_hide_out

to get a more graceful operation, but it didn't work well.  my_hide_out really 
should be "IfPrev [FvwmButtons] Next [FvwmButtons CirculateHit] Move 0p 1000p" 
but there is no IfPrev command (yet).

N.B. sometime this fails to hide the FvwmButtons window, it never fails to show 
the window but sometimes moving the mouse from the FvwmButtons window to another 
leaves the FvwmButtons fully on screen, I guess that FvwmAuto is not getting the 
focus out event.

Cheers,
Tim Phipps.

P.S. sorry the headers of this message aren't right, I'm not getting the mailing 
list and have come in via the mailing list archive web site.  I have a nasty 
feeling that HP have implemented an overzealous UCE filter at the top level mail 
relays.