Subject: FVWM: Color question. Solaris.

From: Yibing Wu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 11:28:55 -0500

I am not sure how this happened: I "lost" some colors, very basic ones,
like "red", "green".  Everytime I tried to use it as the background or
foreground color, I got a message saying colormap cannot allocate.
However, the color name is defined in the rgb.txt, and even more
strange, if I use CDE (Common Desktop Enviornment), there seems to be no
problem at all.  I used to think it was a X client setup problem, but
now I wonder if it has anything to do with Window Manager.  Can any one
tell me what the problem is?  Thanks!

Bing

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bruce Stephens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 16:39:19 +0000

[email-masked] said:
> I am not sure how this happened: I "lost" some colors, very basic
> ones, like "red", "green".  Everytime I tried to use it as the
> background or foreground color, I got a message saying colormap cannot
> allocate. 

You've probably run out of colours.  Some workstations, including many from 
Sun, often come with video cards only capable of 8-bit colour (256 colours).  
It's a window manager issue only in that different managers may use up 
different numbers of colours for their own uses (window decorations, and 
especially colourful icons and backgrounds).  This is not related to what's in 
rgb.txt (which just gives symbolic names to colours).