Subject: Re: FVWM: I have been lurking this list...

From: [email-masked] (David Kennedy)
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 18:30:29 GMT

Jason said:
>  Is that icky 'FVWM:' thing in the subject line something that is done as
>  some matter of list culture or does majordomo do that to all of the mail?
>  
>  $.02 - If the latter, is it really needed? It seems predetermined that the
>  subject has something to do with fvwm.

(1) Culture. Fairly normal on mailing lists.

(2) Yes. It means that if you get many many emails per day you can use
filtering programs to slip all the *FVWM* posts into a folder until
you're ready to read them.
-- 
David Kennedy, Dept. of Pure & Applied Physics, Queen's University of Belfast
Email: [email-masked] | URL: http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~dcjk/
               My .sig was so clever that it actually escaped!
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Neil Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 18:52:26 -0500

David Kennedy wrote:
> > <snippage re FVWM prepension)

It's not really that common.  Of all the (20+) mailing lists I have
been on, only 2 or 3 have used this.

> you're ready to read them.

You'll notice that all mail on this list has the following header:

Sender: [email-masked]

If your MDA or MUA can't filter based on this header, you need to get
a new one :) Besides, with the Subject: solution, one could end up
getting an ``FVWM: why I hate this piece of crap'' from the FooBarWM
mailing list :)

-- 
-Neil Moore,                           http://www.sfhs.ml.org/~amethyst/
[email-masked]    Thring, LSLP, THEM, SuGARS, SGPCSSIAM, Faerie
http://www.sfhs.ml.org/cgi-bin/finger?amethyst for my Geek Code and JAPH
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].