Subject: Re: FVWM: Feature enhancement discussion...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 10:35:48 -0800 (PST)

Chris,

This is how I'm doing it with the current code base of FVWM (great WM).

 10:25 vanzant:> fvwm2 -version
[FVWM][main]:  Fvwm Version 2.0.46 compiled on Nov  3 1997 at 14:37:44

# First bind Meta-Ctrl-m to Move
Key m       A   CM  Move

Now, pressing the arrow keys will move the window 10 pixels (I think) and
pressing Meta-Ctrl-Arrow will move it in one pixel at a time.

I hope this is what you are looking for,
Yehuda.

>Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 02:06:09 -0500 (EST)
>From: "Chris P. Ross" <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: FVWM: Feature enhancement discussion...
>
>
>  Hi.  I know this basically falls under the FAQ of "I would like
>really cool feature 'X'", but in this case it is a fairly small
>extention of existing capabilities, and it's very useful to me in at
>least one case.  I assume it might be useful enough to others to
>justify the cost of adding it (which shouldn't be great, I don't
>think).  I wanted to discuss with people more familiar with the design
>and current workings of fvwm the idea, tho, and see what everyone
>thinks...
>
>  The behaviour I want is the behaviour I put into tvtwm into a
>function called "RelativeMove".  You give it a geometry spec, and it
>will operate on the current window.  (Or you could select one, if you
>invoked it somewhere where that would be necessary).  But anyway, I
>bind it to a set of keys, so that "Shift-Left", for example, in a
>window context will move that window by the specified amount.  (I
>defined Shift-Left to be +1+0, but it could be anything)  Obviously, I
>also defined the rest of the arrow keys, at a variety of distances per
>move with various modifiers.
>
>  I find this very useful for doing precise positioning of a window,
>and for the times that do seem to exist where I want to move a window
>a few (20-40) pixels out of the way, but don't want to have to go all
>the way to the mouse, then find a titlebar/frame/etc, then move it;
>all just for 20 pixels so I can read something in another window for a
>moment.
>
>  Having explained what I want and why, now I wanted to mention what I
>think might be an acceptable, and "least-intrusive" method to do the
>same in fvwm (2.0.42 is where I am now).  I think if the behaviour of
>GetTwoArguments (in misc.c) was extended to handle a 'r' (or 'R')
>qualifier, in addition to the already special 'p' qualifier, that it
>would indicate to the caller somehow that it was to be relative.  This
>seems gentler than making a new function to do a RelativeMove, and
>there are other cases (RelativeResize) where one might want something
>similar.  
>
>  To get this information back to GetTwoArgument's caller, we'd either
>have to pass in more arguments, or change the way the val1_unit
>argument is dealt with.  Not just use it as a divisor all the time,
>like it is now.  This is the short-term solution I took to make it
>work for Move for me right now.  But, I didn't modify the behaviour of
>the other things that call GetTwoArguments, and that would definately
>have to be done so they wouldn't choke on an odd value of
>val1_unit/val2_unit being returned.
>
>  I'd be happy to hear anyone else's opinions on this, and any
>suggestions you have.  I'd be happy to implement whatever we decide on
>if anyone would like me to.
>
>  (and yes, I did subscribe to this list before posting this; so I
>could hear discussions about current developments...)
>
>                               - Chris
>
>--
>Chris P. Ross				Pubnix systems (a division of
>[email-masked]			UUNET Technologies, Inc.)
>[email-masked]
>--
>Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
>To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
>message to [email-masked].
>To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].
>
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Chris P. Ross" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 15:10:53 -0500 (EST)

> pressing Meta-Ctrl-Arrow will move it in one pixel at a time.

  That will (or at least, should) work, and was something I hadn't
thought of.  But, I think it will be a little unwieldy to use.  It'll
require the extra keystroke to get into move mode, then keystrokes to
move it around, then something to get out of move mode.  (How do you
get out of move mode?)

  I think it would be a small effort to just make the positioning
parameters to Move/Resize/etc take arguments to make them relative...

                         - Chris