Subject: FVWM: Lockup at startup (IRIX)

From: Tim Cutts <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 13:44:25 +0000 (GMT)

I quote from the FAQ:

Some users have been getting odd startup problems, like total lockups.
I cannot reproduce this, and have no idea why.  Let me know if you see
this and find a way to consistently reproduce it.

It's very strange; I have fvwm2 compiled on an IRIX 6.2 box and an IRIX
6.4 box, and it works fine.  I have just compiled it on a separate network
of SGI workstations.  These run various versions from IRIX 5.3 to 6.3, so
I compiled the program under IRIX 5.3 so that I could have a common
executable.

It just locks up when I start the window manager; a screen grab seems to
happen, but nothing ever appears.  Having run IRIX's par program on it to
see what the process is trying to do, I get the following:

  157mS socket(PF_UNIX, SOCK_STREAM, 0) = 4
  157mS connect(4, <00 01 2f 74 6d 70 2f 2e 58 31 31 2d 75 6e 69 78>...,
19) OK
  157mS gethostname(atlantis.bioc.cam.ac.uk, 256) OK
  157mS fcntl(4, F_SETFD, 1) OK
  157mS access(/.Xauthority, R_OK) OK
  157mS open(/.Xauthority, O_RDONLY, 0666) = 5
  157mS fstat64(5, 0x7fff25c0) OK
  157mS ioctl(5, TCGETA, 0x7fff2568) errno = 25 (Inappropriate I/O control
operation)
  157mS read(5, <00 00 00 04 83 6f 24 1a 00 01 30 00 12 4d 49 54>...,
4096) = 40
 157mS lseek64(5, -283, SEEK_CUR) = 117
  157mS close(5) OK
  157mS writev(4, 0x7fff2908, 4) = 48
  158mS fcntl(4, F_SETFL, FNONBLOCK) OK
  158mS read(4, 0x7fff2b0c, 8) errno = 11 (Resource temporarily
unavailable)
  158mS select(5, IN:set=4 OUT:set=4, 0, 0, 0) = 1
  158mS read(4, <01 00 00 0b 00 00 00 9a>, 8) = 8
  159mS read(4, <00 00 17 71 01 00 00 00 00 3f ff ff 00 00 00 00>..., 616)
= 616
  159mS write(4, <37 00 00 05 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 34 00 00 00 08>..., 64)
= 64
  159mS read(4, 0x7fff2a2c, 32) errno = 11 (Resource temporarily
unavailable)

It then goes into a loop of thousands of these entries.

So it seems that it cannot read from the socket it connects to.  Any ideas
what the problem might be?  I can't copy the binary from the working
machines because the location of the modules and default configuration
file is different on this network. 

Thanks in advance.

Tim.

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr T J R Cutts                                        Tel: +44 1223 333596
Dept. of Biochemistry, 80 Tennis Court Rd.,           Fax: +44 1223 766002
Cambridge, CB2 1GA, UK

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].