Subject: FVWM: Fvwm2 and Remote logins ....

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 97 16:28:24 GMT

----- Begin Included Message -----

---

From: Bruce Stephens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 17:18:35 +0000

[email-masked] said:
> What troubles me is the fact that even if I do a remote login  to
> another maschine "manually", I am not able to use the X11-resources on
> that remote maschine. This seems to be a problem peculiar to fvwm.
> With other window managers on our system, I can rlogin into another
> maschine, change the display variables and I'll be able to use X11
> programs on the remote maschine. Is this also possible with fvwm2, if
> so how? 

What happens when you try this while running fvwm2?  i.e., if you have an 
xterm running somewhere, you do an rlogin, set DISPLAY, and run an X program?

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Tiefenback <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 12:23:26 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997 [email-masked] wrote:

>  I just installed fvwm-2.0.46 on a SunOs 4.1.3 OS and I'm trying to do a remote
> login (rlogin) in to other machines on the same network. I have the following
> command lines in my .fvwm2rc file;
> 
> >AddToMenu Remote-Logins "bradford" Exec rlogin -l aa bradford &
> >"shanghai" Exec rsh shanghai rxvt -display $HOSTDISPLAY &
> >+"wakefield" Exec rsh wakefield rxvt -display $HOSTDISPLAY &
> 

I use a line like this (csh is the default shell on the remote side):
(broken onto two lines for viewing)

+   "X-TERM"   Exec exec rsh <remotehost> \
		setenv PATH $PATH':/usr/bin/X11'";" "xterm"

It works well.  rsh doesn't get the env variables like PATH set properly.
This is generally stated in the appropriate man page.

Michael Tiefenback

---

From: Walter Truitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 15:46:32 -0600

>xterm running somewhere, you do an rlogin, set DISPLAY, and run an X program?

My guess is that acutally he is using a program that automatically
does an xhost + or something and therefore allows the windows to 
display.  Aa, you need to make sure you have permission to write to
your display if you want to remotely execute programs that use the
display.  There are two different ways to do this, and they are somewhat
exclusive.  If you use xauthority, then each machine you have the same
home directory on (NFS mounted) you will be able to use the display
without doing any other commands (unless you have used xhost).  xhost
allows you to specify which hosts are allowed to use the display.  This
means anyone on the host can use it and that you can't if you haven't 
given the remote host permission.

 -walter