Subject: FVWM: xterm VT Fonts resize action

From: Pete Gaden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 1997 10:25:10 +0000

Hi,

Old problem but I thought I would bounce it out again to see if there
was any "fresh blood" interested?

I am trying to introduce a small user group to the delights of fvwm
and several users have come back with a resizing problem.   We are using
Sun Sparc and Ultra-Sparcs with Solaris 2.5.1 and attempting to use
fvwm-2.0.43 instead of dtwm as manager.   Cntl+Mouse3 in a
/usr/openwin/bin
/xterm window gives a menu where you can reset the font for the current
xterm:

   VT Fonts
Default
Unreadable
Tiny
Small
:
:

In all bar the "Unreadable" case, the two window managers behave the
same;
the whole window is resized in proportion to the font and returns to 
normal when the Default is subsequently selected.

The "Unreadable" ( which is VERY SMALL ) behaves the same on dtwm but
fvwm, although returning to the default size and Font, is blank over the
"resized" width.

____________________     ______      ____________________
|abcdef ghijk lmn  |     |:::: |     |abc                |  
|abcdef ghijk lmn  |     |:::: |     |abc                |
|abcdef ghijk lmn  |     |:::: |     |abc                |
|abcdef ghijk lmn  |  => -------  => |abc                |
|abcdef ghijk lmn  |                 |abc                |
|abcdef ghijk lmn  |                 |abc                |
|abcdef ghijk lmn  |                 |abc                |
|                  |                 |                   |
--------------------                 ---------------------

The users have numerous actively scrolling xterms at one time and tend
to use this "shrinking" procedure to allow them to get an overview of
these windows ( say 10 ) on the right hand side of the screen, while
working on other things.  When a task completes they can then "regain"
the window for review.

As I said, all the other fonts seem to behave ok except this very small
one.  Is this fvwm?  Is there a resource file option ( fontlist etc )
problem?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

PG
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Patrick K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 12:59:14 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Sometime in the late 1900s it was said:

PG> I am trying to introduce a small user group to the delights of fvwm
PG> and several users have come back with a resizing problem.   We are using
PG> Sun Sparc and Ultra-Sparcs with Solaris 2.5.1 and attempting to use
PG> fvwm-2.0.43 instead of dtwm as manager.   Cntl+Mouse3 in a
PG> /usr/openwin/bin
PG> /xterm window gives a menu where you can reset the font for the current
PG> xterm:

[Chomp]

PG> The "Unreadable" ( which is VERY SMALL ) behaves the same on dtwm but
PG> fvwm, although returning to the default size and Font, is blank over the
PG> "resized" width.
PG> 
PG> ____________________     ______      ____________________
PG> |abcdef ghijk lmn  |     |:::: |     |abc                |  
PG> |abcdef ghijk lmn  |     |:::: |     |abc                |
PG> |abcdef ghijk lmn  |     |:::: |     |abc                |
PG> |abcdef ghijk lmn  |  => -------  => |abc                |
PG> |abcdef ghijk lmn  |                 |abc                |
PG> |abcdef ghijk lmn  |                 |abc                |
PG> |abcdef ghijk lmn  |                 |abc                |
PG> |                  |                 |                   |
PG> --------------------                 ---------------------

[Chomp]

PG> As I said, all the other fonts seem to behave ok except this very small
PG> one.  Is this fvwm?  Is there a resource file option ( fontlist etc )
PG> problem?

   I just tried this and I am not able to reproduce this condition.
   I am currently using fvwm-2.0.46 on Linux 2.0.0.

   My first guess would be *if* this problem is a fvwm problem it may have
   been addressed in a later version.  You might want to install a later
   version of fvwm and see if you can reproduce the same effect.

   Good luck,

Patrick Keshishian ...

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 1997 14:41:55 -0500

On Tue, 04 Nov 1997 10:25:10 +0000
Pete Gaden <[email-masked]> 
> fvwm, although returning to the default size and Font, is blank over the

This was fixed in fvwm-2.0.46. From the ChangeLog:

    2.0.46
    [...]
           3. Fix to XTerm font change problem

Ric

Richard J Lister, Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Phone: +1 202-687 2878
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].