Subject: FVWM: StartsOnPage patch

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 21:58:49 -0500 (EST)

Based on the feedback I've gotten, the StartsOnPage patch* seems
to have been given a pretty fair workout, and to qualify as Good 
Stuff. However, it does contain a couple of misfeatures that anyone
trying it ought to consider before applying it. No show stoppers, but
they could cause some confusion and annoyance.

  I'm not issuing an updated StartsOnPage patch at this point. One 
problem is corrected by another patch that I'm keeping separate, since
it will be useful to many people who don't want to bother with 
StartsOnPage. The other is easily worked around, and I don't want to 
mess with that part of the code till Chuck has a chance to evaluate 
the whole patch, and make his recommendations.

The Problems:

1. If you don't specify

        GlobalOpts StartsOnPageModifiesUSPosition

the "StartsOnDesk, SkipMapping" combo is broken. I'm of opinion that
this option should always be specified anyway, and I hope to remove
the option *and* the problem. But we'll see what Chuck says.

2. When a new ClickToFocus, SkipMapping window is created offscreen,
FVWM will take focus away from wherever you're currently focussed
and attempt to give it to the new window. Before StartsOnPage, FVWM
would recognize that the new window was offscreen, and not give it
focus. You'd lose focus, but wouldn't end up typing in the new,
invisible window. StartsOnPage breaks that -- you *will* have focus
given to the new window (if it's on the same desk, different page).
This is corrected by the DontFocusOffscreen patch*, which should
definitely be applied if you use StartsOnPage.

  --------------------------------------------------------------
  * The DontFocusOffscreen patch is on the FVWM ftp site in the
unofficial_patches directory:

        ftp://ftp.hpc.uh.edu/pub/fvwm/version-2/unofficial_patches

The StartsOnPage patch can currently be found on my Web site:

        http://www.pcnet.com/~proteus/Fvwm/patches

I'll try to write up a brief README for it and upload it to the fvwm
site shortly.

        - Bob
 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 21:41:11 -0500 (EST)

But don't you believe it. Another late night tupo.... The real
url is:

        http://www.pcnet.com/~proteus/Fvwm/FvwmPatches.html

Sorry about that.

        - Bob the Shamefaced