Subject: FVWM: jump to a desktop

From: Jerry Ingerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 16:01:43 -0500 (EST)

My previous mailing about a full screen pager and
a 'goto' button was confusing to myself among others.
	I would like to state a more simple question.

	I have one monitor which I understand to be 'Desk:0'.
My .fvwm2rc states 'DeskTopSize 4x4'. So there 16 desktops are
allocated. Now I want to have a button in the button bar that
will cause a jump to a specific one of those 16 desktops.
	I believe that the "GotoPage" call is for transferring
to Desk:1 or 2 or 3, but *not* within Desk:0. Either that or I
just dont know how to use it correctly. 
	Thanks in advance for any help!

	-- Jerry Ingerman
	  ([email-masked])
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Martin Cartwright <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 10:56:05 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Jerry Ingerman wrote:

->
->	I have one monitor which I understand to be 'Desk:0'.
->My .fvwm2rc states 'DeskTopSize 4x4'. So there 16 desktops are
->allocated. Now I want to have a button in the button bar that
->will cause a jump to a specific one of those 16 desktops.
->	I believe that the "GotoPage" call is for transferring
->to Desk:1 or 2 or 3, but *not* within Desk:0. Either that or I
->just dont know how to use it correctly. 
->	Thanks in advance for any help!

DeskTopSize 4x4 sets the size of each desk to 4 by 4 "pages" not
desks. The GotoPage call does exactly that, it tranfers your viewport
to a certain page, to change desks you would use Desk 0 1 or
something. 

Your desktop looks like this (roughly):
        _________________________
	| 0 0 | 1 0 | 2 0 | 3 0 |
        _________________________
        | 0 1 | 1 1 | 2 1 | 3 1 |
        _________________________
        | 0 2 | 1 2 | 2 2 | 3 2 |
        _________________________
        | 0 3 | 1 3 | 2 3 | 3 3 |
        _________________________

so to go to the second page down on the right hand side, you would use

GotoPage 3 1

Hope this makes sense, I'm hungover as hell and not particularly well.

[email-masked] --- http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~imc/vom.htm
-/-------------------------------------------------------------\-
|    "Sponges grow in the ocean ... I wonder how much deeper    |
|          the ocean would be if that didn't happen."           |
-\-------------------------------------------------------------/-