Subject: FVWM: <<ERROR>> can't open display

From: Fabrice Lhomme <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 10:50:21 +0000

Hello,

I'm new at Fvwm and after a long time trying to compile (wrong Imake
configuration, gcc patch not applied,...) I have now Fvwm installed but
I can't run it. Each time I have the message <<ERROR>> can't open
display. I'm on a Sun Solaris 2.4 system and the name of my display is
/dev/console. I tryed this and more but I can't find the right
parameter. Could someone help me ?

Thanks for help
Fabrice Lhomme.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 13:54:46 -0500 (EST)

> parameter. Could someone help me ?

If I remember wright solaris on install, by default, wont let you start up
your own X server you have to let xdm do it for you

so what you do is change the line in your .xinitrc
that probably starts up openwindows to fvwm instead 

Then when you are logining in the default is to cde you just switch to
openwindows and it runs xinit on your copy of .xinitrc

Hope this helps, the other option is to change the permissions on
/dev/console and a couple of others (as you fix one the next one pops up)
and then anyone can start up an X server from the console

Brad