Subject: FVWM: Fvwm and multiple displays

From: Matt Grasse <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 17:36:48 -0500

I'm running fvwm2 on a DEC 3000 with Digital Unix 4 and the Xdec Xserver
and two physical displays.

I would like to configure the displays seperately.  I realize that this
means using m4 of cpp preprocessing, but I haven't found a way to use
either to configure the displays seperately.  I've tried making use of
my DISPLAY environment variable by passing it into the pre processor at
the command line, but this gives me display 0 on both screens.  Could
somebody give me an example of how to config the two screens
seperately?  I'd prefer to use the CPP partly because I don't know m4
and mostly because FvwmM4 generates memory faults and craps out on my
system (an error that I don't feel like spending great deals of time
tracking down and debugging)

Thanks,
Matt

[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Eddy J. Gurney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 18:37:08 -0500

On Nov 13 at 17:36, Matt Grasse wrote:
,--
| I would like to configure the displays seperately.  I realize that this
| means using m4 of cpp preprocessing, but I haven't found a way to use
| either to configure the displays seperately.
`--
Sorry I don't have a `cpp' example (I like some of the benefits of m4 :-),
but the key is the SCREEN setting that is defined. Here is an example
from my somewhat extensive .fvwm2rc that I designed for our "standard
X environment" here at ANS:

AddToFunc "SetupFunction"
+ "I" Exec ROOT_BACKGROUND_CMD &
m4_ifdef(`AUTORAISE_DELAY',`
+ "I" Module FvwmAuto AUTORAISE_DELAY
')
m4_ifelse(SCREEN,`0',`
+ "I" Module FvwmButtons
m4_ifdef(`NO_ICON_MANAGER',,`
+ "I" Module FvwmIconMan
')
',SCREEN,`1',`
+ "I" Module FvwmButtons Fvwm_Buttons1
m4_ifdef(`NO_ICON_MANAGER',,`
+ "I" Module FvwmIconMan
')
',`
# Screen 2
+ "I" Module FvwmButtons Fvwm_Buttons2
m4_ifdef(`NO_ICON_MANAGER',,`
+ "I" Module FvwmIconMan
')
')

Hopefully this provides an example of how to do what you want. Notice
the argument to FvwmButtons for the other screens (so you can have 
different button bars on each screen).

Regards,
Eddy