Subject: FVWM: 24-bit color screens and fvwm?

From: Benoit Pirenne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 21:45:28 +0100

I have been using fvwm very happilly for a number of years. Recently
I got a brand new Sun with 24-bit color frame buffer. My default
installation still doesn't seem to give me access to more than 356
colors.

What should I do to access the 24-bit color realm and still enjoy
fvwm?? Should I use a special Xserver?

Benoit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Benoît Pirenne, Archive Scientist               | Tel.: +49 89 320 06 433
European Southern Observatory                   | Fax : +49 89 320 06 480
Space Telescope - European Coordinating Facility|
Karl-Schwarzschild-Straße 2                     | http://archive.eso.org/
D-85748  Garching bei München, Germany          | mailto:[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Greg Fall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 02:10:31 -0500 (EST)

> fvwm?? Should I use a special Xserver?

You've got the right idea--this is to do with your X server, not your
window manager.  As far as I know, fvwm doesn't care about your color
depth.  How to make it happen depends on how X is started on your system.
Here on my Linux box, I edit the Xservers file in /etc/X11/xdm so it ends
with the line

    :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -bpp 16

to get 16-bit color.  You will probably use some other approach.  I 
suggest researching your X server--how it is started, and what its 
capabilities are.

G.F.

--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--

Greg Fall
[email-masked]
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~gmfall