Subject: FVWM: FvwmButtons geometry

From: Greg Fall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 23:27:24 -0400 (EDT)

Okay, a couple of issues.  I just upgraded from 2.0.45 to 2.0.46, and I
was surprised (1) to find you have to add ".2" to the module names when
you try for the man pages (that's intuitive), and (2) that FvwmConfig is
not there by default.  Not a huge deal, but it is kind of useful if you
want to play around a little.  Was it removed at the author's request, or
did somebody decide it went against the wonderful dinosaur tradition of
having to configure everything by hand with an editor?

So now my question.  I would like to have my FvwmButtons centered on the
screen.  I can do it by brute force:  get the geometry from FvwmIdent,
then put it in *FvwmButtonsGeometry...  But wouldn't it be nice if I could
just say "center FvwmButtons along the bottom edge of the screen" and
forget about it?

G.F.

--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--

Greg Fall
[email-masked]
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~gmfall

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Manfred Bartz <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Oct 1997 15:34:44 +1000

Greg Fall <[email-masked]> writes:

> you try for the man pages (that's intuitive), ...

Hmm?  not on my system....

In ``Fvwm.tmpl'' (used by xmkmf) there are these lines:
    /* Where do you want the fvwm man pages installed. */
    #define FvwmManPath /usr/X11R6/man
    #define FvwmManSuffix 1
which give you control over where you want the man pages.

>                                           ... and (2) that FvwmConfig is

Don't know, but if you want it, it's in ``fvwm-2.0.46/extras/FvwmConfig''.
    cd extras/FvwmConfig
    make
    su
    make install

> just say "center FvwmButtons along the bottom edge of the screen" and

The centering can be achieved with m4 pre-processing (m4_eval), but I
think you still need to know the width of the button bar.

-- 
Manfred Bartz <[email-masked]>
------------------------------------
-- Food -- Shelter -- Source code --
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Greg Fall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 10:17:59 -0400 (EDT)

> In ``Fvwm.tmpl'' (used by xmkmf) there are these lines:

Installed the RPM from Red Hat contrib, so none of that was involved here.
I guess this is an issue with the package builder, who is as far as I can
tell unidentified.

> Don't know, but if you want it, it's in ``fvwm-2.0.46/extras/FvwmConfig''.

Again, I know it is included optionally, but once again, it is not
included with the RPM.

> think you still need to know the width of the button bar.

I don't see how M4 can do any better for you than just hard-coding
*FvwmButtonsGeometry in there.  Sure, you can make some kind of
BUTTONBARWIDTH macro, but that really makes it no easier.  Anyway, thanks
for your comments.

G.F.

Greg Fall
[email-masked]

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Oct 1997 16:48:31 +0200

>>>>> On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Greg Fall said:

  Greg> I don't see how M4 can do any better for you than just
  Greg> hard-coding *FvwmButtonsGeometry in there.  Sure, you can make
  Greg> some kind of BUTTONBARWIDTH macro, but that really makes it no
  Greg> easier.  Anyway, thanks for your comments.

SCREEN_WIDTH: predefined m4 macro
FVWM_BUTTONS_WIDTH: define this macro yourself
FVWM_BUTTONS_X := SCREEN_WIDTH/2 - FVWM_BUTTON_WIDTH/2
  let m4 compute this for you

kai
-- 
~/.signature: No such file or directory

---

From: Greg Fall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 11:14:07 -0400 (EDT)

>   let m4 compute this for you

Okay, that's fine.  But would it be possible to write a method that
interferes at some point between FvwmButtons being assembled and
FvwmButtons being placed on the screen, at which time the window and
border width, as well as the screeen width, are figured out and the above
calculation happens, then FvwmButtons is given an appropriate geometry
spec?  Doing it by hand, even if you use m4 to avoid a little arithmetic,
is a little unsatisfying.

Greg Fall
[email-masked]

---

From: Manfred Bartz <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Oct 1997 10:01:14 +1000

Greg Fall <[email-masked]> writes:

> BUTTONBARWIDTH macro, but that really makes it no easier. 

Well, if you have two systems with different size screens, or you use
different screen resolutions for different users, m4 pre-processing is
a real help.  As long as the size of the object is fixed, you can then
calculate the necessary offsets for centering based on the ``HEIGHT''
and ``WIDTH'' values of the screen.

This may not be applicable for you.

Regards

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 07:58:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Greg Fall wrote:

: > > Okay, a couple of issues.  I just upgraded from 2.0.45 to 2.0.46, and I
: > > was surprised (1) to find you have to add ".2" to the module names when
: > > you try for the man pages (that's intuitive), ...

  [...]

: Installed the RPM from Red Hat contrib, so none of that was involved here.
: I guess this is an issue with the package builder, who is as far as I can
: tell unidentified.

Actually, the packager is not unidentified:

    [jmknoble@quipu:/local/src/contrib]$ rpm -qip fvwm2-2.0.46-3.src.rpm 
    Name        : fvwm2                       Distribution: (none)
    Version     : 2.0.46                            Vendor: (none)
    Release     : 3                             Build Date: Sun Sep 07
    15:37:00 1997
    Install date: (not installed)               Build Host: quipu.earth
    Group       : X11/Window Managers           Source RPM: (none)
    Size        : 821956
    Packager    : Jim Knoble <[email-masked]>
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    URL         : http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/
    Summary     : Feeble Virtual Window Manager
    Description :
    Fvwm is a small, fast, and very flexible window manager.  It can be
    configured to look like Motif, and has a useful button bar'.  This one
    can use m4 or cpp to preprocess its configuration file.
    [jmknoble@quipu:/local/src/contrib]$ 

The reason the man pages for the modules have the `.2' suffix is so
that they don't stomp on the manual pages for the same modules from
fvwm-1.24r (or fvwm95), which ships with Red Hat Linux.  This shouldn't
really be a surprise---the `original' fvwm2 RPM package shipped on the
Red Hat PowerTools CD is the same way.  It's also a good idea to list
the files in a binary RPM before you install it, especially if you're
not the one who built it; the same caveats apply to contrib RPMs as to
binary tarballs from Joe's FTP site.

: > >                                           ... and (2) that FvwmConfig is
: > > not there by default.  Not a huge deal, but it is kind of useful if you

  [...]

: Again, I know it is included optionally, but once again, it is not
: included with the RPM.

To be honest, the reason most of the stuff from .../extras/ isn't
included in the RPM is that i don't use most of it.  You'll note that
some of it is, and you might note that more of it used to be, but
didn't really work so well and got removed (if you have a recent
version of rpm, you can do `rpm -q --changelog fvwm2' to view the
changelog).  If you'd rather have FvwmConfig, feel free to build your
own RPM---it's not that difficult, and you can use
fvwm2-2.0.46-3.src.rpm as a starting point.

--jim

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% jim knoble %%%%%%%% [email-masked] %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

---

From: Greg Fall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 10:28:11 -0400 (EDT)

>     Release     : 3                             Build Date: Sun Sep 07

Jim,

Naturally, this is exactly where I looked; I just didn't realize that the
packager is not listed with the binary RPM.

> really be a surprise---the `original' fvwm2 RPM package shipped on the

I figured that was the reason, but the man pages for the 2.0.45 modules,
which were separately packaged in fvwm2-modules-2.0.45, did NOT require
the ".2".  I have used them a million times.  In any case, no biggie.  To
get these things to change I can certainly build my own fvwm2, but the
differences were noticeable to me, the average schmo installing binary
RPMS, so I thought it was a good idea to mention them.  I didn't mean to
imply that I blindly upgraded to 2.0.46 then freaked out upon discovering
that a couple of things changed.  Cheers,

G.F.

Greg Fall
[email-masked]