Subject: FVWM: Capturing -geometry for .fvwmrc

From: Bruce Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 07:56:47 -0700 (PDT)

I am just returning to the X environment (three cheers for Linux).  I
would like to setup .fvwmrc with several tools and windows open.  I recall
that there was a program (perhaps called "toolplaces") for some other
window manager (perhaps twm) that would return a list of all the windows
and tools running along with the current -geometries.  I assume that
this kind of program exists for fvwm but I can't find it.

Thanks for your help.

-Bruce
      Bruce Cohen                    |  office:  Math Department
      Lick-Wilmerding High School    l  e-mail:  [email-masked]
      755 Ocean Avenue               |  voice:   415-333-4021 x274
      San Francisco, CA  94112       |  fax:     415-333-9443

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Manfred Bartz <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Oct 1997 09:14:24 +1000

>       San Francisco, CA  94112       |  fax:     415-333-9443

I don't know of a program that will report geometries.

However, if you only need this information at login time there may be
a different way of achieving the same affect.  On my system, I have
``~/.xsession'' configured that it only starts fvwm2, no xterms etc.
All applications are then started by fvwm2 via the ``InitFunction''.
To set geometries and other parameters depending on screen size and
logname, I use m4 pre-processing.  If that would solve your problem I
can mail you my ``.fvwm2rc''. 

Regards
-- 
Manfred Bartz <[email-masked]>
------------------------------------------------------
Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Oct 1997 23:29:43 -0500

>>>>> "MB" == Manfred Bartz <[email-masked]> writes:

MB> I don't know of a program that will report geometries.

xwininfo?  Works for me, though it takes one window at a time.

 - J<

---

From: "Patrick K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 23:52:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hi there,

> xwininfo?  Works for me, though it takes one window at a time.

   People!  What about WindowList???

Patrick ...

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Oct 1997 11:21:56 +0200

>>>>> On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Bruce Cohen said:

  Bruce> [...]  I recall that there was a program (perhaps called
  Bruce> "toolplaces") [...]

OpenWindows has a program "owplaces".  Maybe that is part of XView
and can be had when you install the XView packages?

kai
-- 
~/.signature: No such file or directory

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 08:15:44 -0400

> and can be had when you install the XView packages?

Isn't the module FvwmSaveDesk whats needed?
Theres also FvwmSave which does something similar.

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (732) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (David S. Goldberg)
Date: 24 Oct 1997 08:25:45 -0400

The FvwmSaveDesk module purports to do this.  I haven't tried it
myself so no promises.

I seem to recall an xtoolplaces application from long ago that did the
same thing as the suntools app, but I can't find it at ftp.x.org.  It
might be worth an archie search.  It's possible it was simply never
ported to later versions of X11.

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 781-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]