Subject: FVWM: Re: Fvwm IconBoxes patch (not split)

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 12:52:18 -0400

Adam Kospacz writes:
> stop this!
>
> 121 KB + 50 KB + 74 KB !
> upload the file to a www/ftp server and post the URL but not such a big
> patch ! :(

Adam:
1) You might get a more favorable response if you'd try saying "please".   :-)
2) I believe Jason answered this same complaint last month. Let's not flog a
dead horse.

Jason:
On the other hand, very large e-mails arriving unexpectedly can sometimes
be a pain in the ol' hemorrhoids, and not everyone has access to his own
Web/ftp site. Is the little-used unnoficial_patches/ directory on the FVWM ftp
site public-uploadable? It might not be a bad practice to put larger patches
there, if possible, rather than in-lining them.

 Cheers,
 Bob
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 13:19:19 -0400

> 1) You might get a more favorable response if you'd try saying "please".   :-

I haven't taken any insult.  After dealing with  computer users for 34
years, you'd have to go pretty far to even make in impression. :-)

Just a little humor there.  I agree completely with the complaint.

> 2) I believe Jason answered this same complaint last month. Let's not flog a

I don't remember any complaint about  large patches, I do remember the
request  to  use mime  attachments.  Actually   I expected the  base64
encoding to do some kind of compression, but now I think about it, I'm
not surprised it made the patch even bigger.

It seemed to go  from 86K to 121K.   Compressed and uuencoded its 40K,
probably still a little big for e-mail.

> there, if possible, rather than in-lining them.

As you guessed, I don't have access to my  own web site.  I understand
there  are places I   can get  a free   one, but   I guess  there  are
restrictions on how much data you can store there.

I agree that a common  public uploadable site  would be very desirable
and I promise to use it should it become available.

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (732) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Oct 1997 15:57:47 -0500

>>>>> "BW" == Bob Woodside <[email-masked]> writes:

BW> Is the little-used unnoficial_patches/ directory on the FVWM ftp site
BW> public-uploadable?

Of course not; I have no intention of becoming a porn and pirated software
distribution site.  You can upload to /pub/incoming/fvwm as has always been
possible, but you must inform someone that things are there so they can be
moved.

 - J<

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Oct 1997 16:03:50 -0500

>>>>> "DE" == Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

DE> I agree that a common public uploadable site would be very desirable
DE> and I promise to use it should it become available.

Does nobody check the incoming directory?  The fvwm subdirectory exists
and is writable, and has been for a few years now.

 - J<