Subject: FVWM: NEW TO LINUX...FVWM Interface

From: Rob King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 04:08:51 -0500

Hello, I am about to install Linux on my PC.  I want to use the FVWM window
system on my PC.  I am not sure how to do so.  I installed RED-HAT before,
but it had an interface similar to Windows 95.  I don't want that.  Could
you please tell me if I need to install the slackware version or RedHat or
does it matter.  Once I install it what do I need to do to make sure my
Graphic interface uses the FVWM interface?

Thanks in Advance,

Rob King
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Oct 1997 11:38:36 +0200

>>>>> On Wed, 08 Oct 1997, Rob King said:

  Rob> [...] I am not sure how to do so.  I installed RED-HAT before,
  Rob> but it had an interface similar to Windows 95.  I don't want
  Rob> that. [...]

There are several programs derived from fvwm, one of them is called
fvwm95.  It (fvwm95) provides a look similar to Win95.  To find out if
you're using this program, start up your windowing system, and type
the following command into an xterm:

    ps auxww | grep -i fvwm

I'm sure that you can tell from this output whether you're running
fvwm95 or not.

If you're running fvwm95, you need to find out whether the program
fvwm2 is on your machine.  To do this, type "which fvwm2" and "which
fvwm".  If they both produce a "not found" answer, you need to install
fvwm2.  If one of them produces a "found" answer, you can type "fvwm
-version" or "fvwm2 -version".  This will tell you whether you have
version 2 or not.

To start fvwm2 rather than fvwm95, you need to find where it starts up
that program and edit the appropriate file.  Usually, the programs
started can be found in ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession.  Just edit the file
to start the right program and then log out and log in again.

kai
-- 
The arms should be held in a natural and unaffected way and never
be conspicuous. -- Revised Technique of Latin American Dancing