Subject: FVWM: Help with FvwmM4

From: "Craig A. Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Oct 1997 08:48:16 -0400

Hi all.  I'm interested in using FvwmM4 (I think) but am having a
little trouble getting it to fly.  I can't say that I'm an M4 expert, but I
have used it in the past.  My trouble is not specific, but quite general, I
don't know how to go about doing what I want.  I use a large number of
nearly identical functions in my menus and buttons and I'd like to use
a tool like M4 to generate it for me.  Any URLs to additional FvwmM4 
documentation and/or examples would be great.  Another catch is that I use
similar, but not quite identical setups on about 4 completely
independent systems.  There's a little more info in the next paragraph should 
you wish to read more about what I want to do.

---
	For starters I have a large tiered menu system with many different
types of systems in it.  I have certain window characteristics based on
whether it's a router, server or general purpose machine.  I wish to be
able to put all of these in macros :

router(a.b, a.b.me.net)

	which could expand to a menu item:

+ "a.b" exec xterm -sb -sl 1000 -j -ls -n a.b -T a.b -bg DarkSeaGreen 
	-e telnet a.b.me.net

	Other systems would have other requirements, for instance :

system(a.b, a.b, [email-masked], a.b.me.net, 80x40)

+ "a.b" exec xterm -sb -sl 1000 -j -ls -n a.b -T [email-masked] -bg Purple -geom 80x40
	-e ssh a.b.me.net

	...or whatever.

	I might even have xterm() be a macro:

xterm() = xterm -sb -sl 1000 -j -ls 

	then I only make changes in one place and common changes are easy
to rdist to the different machines I'm on.

	Thanks for any help offered.

-- 
 Craig A. Lemon    VE3XCL       | University of Waterloo
   [email-masked]		| Electrical Engineering
   http://www.net/~calemon/	|     Class of 1997

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].