Subject: FVWM: Window title-setting danger

From: Greg Fall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 13:19:57 -0400 (EDT)

Wanted to inform all of a problem I had the other day.

I have the following in my .bashrc:

PS1='bash % '
export PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033]2;$LOGNAME@$HOSTNAME: \
$PWD\007\033]1;$LOGNAME@$HOST\007"'

which puts the username and the working directory in the titlebar.  Works
very well on my computer.  However, the other day I connected to my 
computer from one at work, and I never got a prompt.  I gave up on the
connection, grabbed my .bashrc with ftp, put a "#" in front of the
"export..." stuff to make it a comment, and sent the new .bashrc back to
my computer.  Reconnected and everything worked just fine.  I don't know
if this will happen to everyone (I was connecting from a VMS machine), and
anybody who knows more than I do is invited to volunteer their knowledge.

G.F.

--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--

Greg Fall
[email-masked]
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~gmfall

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 13:58:25 -0400

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997 13:19:57 -0400 (EDT)
Greg Fall <[email-masked]> 
> anybody who knows more than I do is invited to volunteer their knowledge.

Greg

Your mention of VMS makes me suspicious. What kind of terminal were you using?
The escape sequences you used are for xterms, and could well break any
other terminal or emulator. To be safe enclose the xterm-specific bits in
some kind of test:

  case $TERM in
      xterm*)
          export PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne \
              "\033]2;$LOGNAME@$HOSTNAME: $PWD\007\033]1;$LOGNAME@$HOST\007"'
          ;;
  esac

See my mini-FAQ:
    http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/computing/xterm_title.html

Cheers
Ric

Richard J Lister, Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Phone: +1 202-687 2878
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].