Subject: FVWM: Netscape and ActivePlacement

From: Sami Laine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 18:57:14 +0300

I can't get Netscape to work with ActivePlacement "property". I
declared following in my ~/.fvwm2rc:

Style   "*"             ActivePlacement
Style   "Netscape*"     ActivePlacement

and so forth, no matter what I've entered into rc-file Netscape always
places itself into top-left corner of screen - is there any way to get
Netscape listen fvwm2?

I'm using fvwm 2.0.45-BETA-4 with Debain/GNU Linux 1.3.0. 

-- 
Sami Laine
		To reply via mail, remove 'no.spam.' from my address.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Chris Rode <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 12:11:12 CDT

Sami Laine writes:

| I can't get Netscape to work with ActivePlacement "property". I
| declared following in my ~/.fvwm2rc:
| 
| Style   "*"             ActivePlacement
| Style   "Netscape*"     ActivePlacement

You need to add NoPPosition to the netscape style line.  I have in my
fvwm2rc for netscape:

Style "Netscape" ClickToFocus, NoPPosition

and netscape no longer insists on popping up in the upper left.

-chris.

--
--Chris Rode, Hardware Asset Mgmt IBM RST, 020-3 E409, (507) 253-4139
"There were no more lovers left alive, no one had survived...so there
 were no more lovers left alive, that's why love had died..."
                           -- Pet Shop Boys, "Dreaming of the Queen"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Patrick K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 17:42:01 -0400 (EDT)

> and netscape no longer insists on popping up in the upper left.

   Actually not even  xterms  listen to my .fvwm2rc configs!  I just
   assumed (till now) that if there are many windows open on a certain
   desktop/workspace you get the "rubber.band" thingie with the
   ActivePlacement otherwise if there are no windows open *any* window
   (even an xterm) will pop.open on the top.left corner of my screen.

   Am I wrong in my assumptions?

   Hmm.. I just looked and I see the following in my ~/.fvwm2rc file:

[paste from .fvwm2rc begin]
Style "*"           DecorateTransient, NoPPosition
Style "*"           SloppyFocus, ActivePlacement
[paste from .fvwm2rc end]

   So I do have "NoPPosition" defined for all windows and I do not
   override this for Xterm nor Netscape!

   This is not a problem for me though since i do not really mind
   this behavior.

   Just my comments, hope this is helpful,

Patrick Keshishian ...
[email-masked]

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Oct 1997 11:02:50 +0200

>>>>> On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Patrick K said:

  Patrick> Actually not even xterms listen to my .fvwm2rc configs!  I
  Patrick> just assumed (till now) that if there are many windows open
  Patrick> on a certain desktop/workspace you get the "rubber.band"
  Patrick> thingie with the ActivePlacement otherwise if there are no
  Patrick> windows open *any* window (even an xterm) will pop.open on
  Patrick> the top.left corner of my screen.

This sounds like you have SmartPlacement turned on.  SmartPlacement
will look for an empty area on your screen where to put a window.  If
it doesn't find one, it gives up and ActivePlacement or
RandomPlacement takes effect.

With recent versions of fvwm, you can say "GlobalOpts
SmartPlacementIsReallySmart" and SmartPlacement will not give up so
easily.  Instead, it will use an area on a "best fit" basis.

In general, SmartPlacement/DumbPlacement and
ActivePlacement/RandomPlacement are orthogonal to each other.  And the
GlobalOpt mentioned above means that {Active,Random}Placement is never
used.

Or is this all rubbish and I haven't slept enough the past nights?

kai
-- 
~/.signature: No such file or directory

---

From: "Patrick K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 20:10:37 -0700 (PDT)

> RandomPlacement takes effect.

   Yea that is what one would expect, but the only place I have
   "SmartPlacement" defined is at:

      Style "Fvwm*"       RandomPlacement, SmartPlacement

   which I do not believe would affect xterms nor netscape.  Or have
   I mistaken??

   Thanks for the comments,

Patrick ...
[email-masked]