Subject: FVWM: setting xterm titles

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 16:44:59 -0400

Hi folks

I've noticed that one question which gets asked here quite a lot is:
"How do I get my xterm to show {username, hostname, current directory}
in the titlebar?"

Now, this isn't a window manager issue, but many people don't know that.
I created a mini FAQ for this for my local users, but others may be
interested, so here's the URL:

  http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/computing/xterm_title.html

I give solutions for several shells. If anyone has any better methods,
solutions for shells I've not mentioned, or escape sequences for
other terminal types, let me know and I'll include them. The more
comprehensive this is, the more useful it may be.

Cheers
Ric

Richard J Lister, Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Phone: +1 202-687 2878
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Oct 1997 22:19:11 +0200

>>>>> On Fri, 03 Oct 1997, Richard Lister said:

  Ric> I've noticed that one question which gets asked here quite a
  Ric> lot is: "How do I get my xterm to show {username, hostname,
  Ric> current directory} in the titlebar?"

While the escape sequence thingy is a Good Thing (tm) for xterm
windows, it doesn't work for Ghostview or GV windows :-( [*]

Back when I used to use gwm I used its ability to change window titles
on the fly a lot: you could double click the window title and you were
then able to input a new title.  Very useful.  WIBNI one could do this
with fvwm, too?

[*] For those who don't use these programs: they have a window title
of "Ghostview 1.5" or suchlike -- not very useful in an FvwmIconMan if
you have a half dozen of them open and want to find the one that you
want to look at.

kai
-- 
The arms should be held in a natural and unaffected way and never
be conspicuous. -- Revised Technique of Latin American Dancing
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Kai Grossjohann)
Date: 6 Oct 1997 03:54:54 +0200

kai

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 11:02:19 -0400

On 05 Oct 1997 22:19:11 +0200
Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]> 
> windows, it doesn't work for Ghostview or GV windows :-( [*]

gv shows the title of the document if it is contained in the postscript
(using %%Title:).

It should be a very easy hack of the ghostview source to make it
show the filename in the title.

> then able to input a new title.  Very useful.  WIBNI one could do this

This is an interesting idea. It would probably be fairly straightforward
to implement a builtin ChangeWindowTitle function, and then maybe
use FvwmForm to type in the string and call the function.

Ric

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Oct 1997 17:02:32 +0200

>>>>> On Mon, 06 Oct 1997, Richard Lister said:

  Richard> This is an interesting idea. It would probably be fairly
  Richard> straightforward to implement a builtin ChangeWindowTitle
  Richard> function, and then maybe use FvwmForm to type in the string
  Richard> and call the function.

Yes, that would be nice 8-)

kai