Subject: FVWM: Runaway Goodstuff on DEC Unix

From: Michael Neale <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 11:39:35 -0400 (EDT)

Hi

I note that others have reported runaway Goodstuff processes under Solaris
and that Chuck suggested not using Goodstuff as a solution.  
http://www.hpc.uh.edu/cgi-bin/w3highlighter/fvwm/9604/msg00379.html?line=62#hilite

It so happens that I have accounts on many different machines and I
*really like* being able to get to them at a single click of a button. So,
I want to run Goodstuff and so do many other users.  However, every now
and then (often when a PCX or Exceed user has their PC crash)  goodstuff
starts gobbling all the cpu it can get.

I'm using fvwm 1.24r under Digital Unix 4.0.  I have found fvwm 2.0.45
buggy with autoraise windows flashing, and sometimes complete freezes.
Therefore I'd like a 1.24r solution if possible. 

Cheers
Mike

Dr. Michael C. Neale   Dept. of Psychiatry,  Virginia Commonwealth University
Phone:  804-828-3369   Virginia Institute for Psychiatric & Behavioral Genetics
Fax:    804-828-1471   800 East Leigh St. Suite 1-115, Richmond VA 23219-1534

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Grant McDorman)
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 97 17:02 EDT

It's probably the same probably I've submitted a patch for in 2.0.46, namely
X calls in the signal handler. Look for 'DeadPipe' in the code and try to
replace it with a simple exit(1) call. That will cure the runaway process
problem, and hopefully introduce no significant others.

Other modules may have the same problem.

-Grant "Kamisama" McDorman, Señor Programmer, Harmony MR

$f