Subject: FVWM: Re: mouse #1 on root window not working

From: jason kirtland <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 14:31:57 -0400

Quoc Duong <[email-masked]>
> [snip]
> Then I set the display to a SGI:
> % uname -a
> IRIX ares 5.3 11091810 IP12 mips
>
> When I run the window manager 'fvwm2', and I press on mouse #1 on
> the root window, it doesn't popup the RootMenu for me
> [snip]
> And I realize that the mouse #2 on root window doesn't work either,
> only mouse #3 on root-window can trigger my menu.

I believe you are getting interference from "desktopManager", part of the
Indigo Magic Desktop suite on IRIX systems.  desktopManager is the program
responsible for placing and *partially handling* the desktop icons on the
background (cdrom, camera, files, etc.)- it will place the icons and allow you
to activate (left click) or rubber-band select (middle button), however all of
the useful context operations (right click) are handled by 4Dwm, the SGI
window manager.  This makes it somewhat annoying to use stand-alone.

Killing the process should be safe, and will temporarily end your woes.  For a
more permanent solution try touch(1)ing $HOME/.desktop-hostname/nodesktop
which will prevent the desktopManager from launching at login time.

-=j

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].