Subject: Re: FVWM: Brain rot with FvwmAuto

From: "Patrick K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 22:58:36 -0700 (PDT)

Sometime in the late 1900s "Friendly, Cristian" wrote:

> Pete Forman writes:
> [cut] 
>  > I find that when I want to change desktops I
>  > move the pointer over the FvwmPager and wait for the change to happen.
>  > Where will this end?  Will I come to expect all my buttons to click
>  > themselves when the pointer is held over them?  Maybe some bubble help
>  > saying "Click your mouse button NOW, dummy" would ameliorate my
>  > personal problems :-)

[ snip ]

> Let's see. A simple modification in the pager, which will configurably
> replace MOUSE_CLICK event with GOT_FOCUS (yes, now you know I'm
> completely illiterate about X programming) and will add a configurable
> wait duration functionality could not be so difficult.

   I think this *may* be a good idea for some.. but not so great for
   others.  I'd hate to think that I would HAVE to make sure where I
   place my pointer so to not have FvwmPager change desks on me!!!

   If such a "feature" is ever implemented could the implementer please
   make sure and have an option to *disable* this "feature" from the
   .fvwm2rc file (or even at run time).

   Anyone else with any comments on this?

   Just my 2 cents ...

Patrick ...
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Robert H. Ford II" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 09:34:25 -0500

My idea is to be able to have a "balloon" popup with the name of the
tool or action this button would activate when it received  focus.

This idea came from the way I have my FvwmButtons set up. I have one
button split into three rows of three columns.  These buttons are very
small and can just fit a mini pixmap so no title will fit.

I have read about a "balloon" popup for the pager, would something like
this be possible for the FvwmButtons module?

Thank You

--
    _/_/_/     _/  _/   _/_/_/_/   _/_/_/_/_/_/ Robert H. Ford II
   _/   _/    _/  _/   _/           _/    _/    Lucent Technologies
  _/_/_/     _/_/_/   _/_/_/       _/    _/     Bell Labs Innovations
 _/   _/    _/  _/   _/           _/    _/      Naperville IL, 60566-7045
_/    _/   _/  _/   _/         _/_/_/_/_/_/     Email: [email-masked]
                                                Voice: (630) 713-4957
__________________________________________________
|  M R spiders!                    |      |   |  |
|  M N O spiders!                  |      |   |  |
|  O S A R - C D E D B D I's?      |      |   |  |
|  Y I B, M R spiders...           |      |   *  |
|                                  *      |      |
|                                         *      |
--------------------------------------------------

---

From: Cristian Tibirna <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 11:18:53 -0400

> this be possible for the FvwmButtons module?
Just to underline we are many ... :-)

In my TODO list for fvwm (which I was never able to revisit due to
lack of time, of course :-) one will find:

1) TWO button arrays
TaskBar may have TWO button areas. 
One for full buttons, other for mini-icons as in a tray

Indicating what goes in tray might be done with some Style command
or with a specific FvwmTaskBar property

2) efficiency
Ask people what's more efficient: taskbar, or a combination of 
	fvwmbuttons and fvwmIconMan

3) desk module
a desk like module. With shortcut icons and maybe with trash and filemanager

4) folder buttons
Hack the fvwmButtons for including the ability to do folders
Maybe it will need some clearing before.

5) menus do styles
make menus understand style mini-icons

6) buttons
titlebar functionality add a minimize/restart/stop
functionality to fvwmbuttons, with animation (as in warf)

Interested? Thanks for your attention, see you all again not too late :-)

				Cristian

---

From: Cristian Tibirna <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 12:17:03 -0400

> lack of time, of course :-) one will find:

Of course, I read my message only after I sent it, so now I see it
wasn't there my desire to add tooltips to fvwmbuttons.

More than that, I believe that putting tooltips methods in libfvwm
would be something to think about.

Have you seen KDE lately? It's wonderful. But I prefer fvwm for its
full configurability and for my better knowledge of it. And I think
fvwm could (in a matter of weeks) equal any other desk suite if:

1) we take the risk to adopt a widgets library (gtk?)

2) we develop a series of good and fancy modules for (on the fly)
configuration tasks, desktop functionality (shortcuts and other
cosmetic things) and drag and drop.

3) we continue to strip out of the main code features which are better
fit in modules (borders definitions, window operations - as shade -
etc.)

Unfortunately I don't think this have good chances to happen in a
short delay, because development in fvwm has visibly reduced steam
pressure compared to two or three years ago. Hey, this is more a
self-critic message, got it? :-)

			Cristian

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 13:33:59 -0400 (EDT)

> self-critic message, got it? :-)

Have you seen the fOX project? :-) fOX.unixville.com is the home... check
it out... it's still growing :-) The fOX project is based around the
Xclass `95 C++ X11 Toolkit (which lets you create widgets that look
identical to 95 ones). I'd like to see a new window manager come out for
the project, and I don't necessarily want it to look like 95 (actually, I
DON'T want it to look like 95 :) ... I also think it might be a good idea
to start a new window manager from scratch with a new perspective on
things. 

If you'd like more info on the fOX project, or you'd like to participate,
let me know.
			-peace

--- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK ------------+-----------
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) | "In the morning glad I see
P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K? w++++  |  My foe outstrech'd beneath the tree."
O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5   |               -The Poison Tree
X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>*  h*(!) r-  |                William Blake
y*(+) ------ END GEEK CODE BLOCK -----+

---

From: Roozbeh Mehrabadi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 15:16:23 -0700 (PDT)

A question to the Sun users:

We recently upgraded to Solaris 2.5.1 (did not use any of the old Sun OS
stuff) and compiled FVWM 1.24r and 2.0.45 on them.

We are using two types of Sun Key boards, the enhanced type (with extra 4
arrow keys and 6 Inset,Home etc. keys) and the non-enhanced type (using num
pad as arrows and Home-PgUp etc.)  

 On the old Os (there are still a few here) both keyboards functioned fine,
and the arrows on Num pad where active.

 On the solaris upgraded machines, when fvwm (1.24r) or fvwm2 (2.0.45) is run
the xterm shows X for every arrow key pressed on the Num pad keys (on the
none-enhanced keyboards), but work fine with the enhanced keyboards (we use
tcsh and uparrow suppose to print the previous command).

the kbd -t command reports: Type 4 Sun keyboard
for both keyboards. How and where could I modify the X settings for
keyboard keys (specially arrows etc.).

sincerely,
roozbeh
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Roozbeh Mehrabadi,		University of British Columbia		|
| [email-masked]		Department of Electrical Engineering	| 
| 2356 Main Mall,		VLSI Lab (MCLD#332),			|
| Vancouver B.C. V6T 1Z4, 	Fax:(604) 822-5949  Ph: (604) 822-6952	| 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Oct 1997 22:15:16 +0200

>>>>> On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Roozbeh Mehrabadi said:

  Roozbeh>  On the solaris upgraded machines, when fvwm (1.24r) or
  Roozbeh> fvwm2 (2.0.45) is run the xterm shows X for every arrow key
  Roozbeh> pressed on the Num pad keys (on the none-enhanced
  Roozbeh> keyboards), but work fine with the enhanced keyboards (we
  Roozbeh> use tcsh and uparrow suppose to print the previous
  Roozbeh> command).

This is most probably not an fvwm problem.  Try hitting the NumLock
key to toggle between the cursor key and numeric pad behavior.

Sorry if this was a stupid suggestion and you already tried it.

kai
-- 
The arms should be held in a natural and unaffected way and never
be conspicuous. -- Revised Technique of Latin American Dancing
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Kai Grossjohann)
Date: 6 Oct 1997 03:54:53 +0200

kai