Subject: FVWM: Fvwm or Fvwm95 ?

From: Richard Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 18:22:30 +0000

A long time ago, I installed fvwm95 on our site for my users. I've noticed
that the development of fvwm95 seems to have stopped at 2.0.43.
I've heard that it is because all the fvwm95 features are included in
newer fvwm2's.  I would like to be able to switch my users to fvwm2 without
them noticing the change.

Hence the following question...  Where can I get my hands on fvwm2rc's
that propperly emulate the 95 look and feel ?

--
Rikki.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Manfred Bartz" <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Oct 1997 21:32:20 +1000

> that propperly emulate the 95 look and feel ?

I am not aware of a W95 look-alike for fvwm.  It could be done though,
but I personally don't see why anyone would bother.  There are a few
sites that specialize in layouts.  A good starting point might be:
<http://www.plig.org/xwinman/> 

Another alternative may be the ``K-Desktop Environment'' (KDE).  Some
of their stuff is very good, some of it is obviously still alpha.
As for the look and feel, they seem to be getting (all?) their
inspiration from W95.  A window manager is part of the KDE group of
programs.  <http://www.kde.org/>

Hope this helps
-- 
Manfred Bartz <[email-masked]>

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Oct 1997 13:46:36 +0200

>>>>> On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Richard Allen said:

  Rikki> Hence the following question...  Where can I get my hands on
  Rikki> fvwm2rc's that propperly emulate the 95 look and feel ?

It seems that no-one has an answer that works out of the box.
Therefore, I contribute my part -- I like fvwm to look but not feel
like Win95.  I achieve the look with the following lines in .fvwmrc:

,-----
| TitleStyle LeftJustified ActiveUp (Solid midnightblue -- flat) \
|         ActiveDown (Solid midnightblue -- flat) \
|         Inactive (Solid lightgrey -- flat)
| BorderStyle -- HiddenHandles, NoInset   
| ButtonStyle 1 MiniIcon -- UseTitleStyle flat
| ButtonStyle 2 Pixmap win95-maximize-full.xpm -- UseTitleStyle flat
| ButtonStyle 4 Pixmap win95-minimize-full.xpm -- UseTitleStyle flat
| HilightColor lightgrey grey45           
| MenuStyle black lightgrey slategrey -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-70-iso8859-1 mwm
| Style "*"		Color black/grey
`-----

As I don't really use Win95 I'm not sure if it's close enough.  But
you can surely tweak it.  You might need to snarf the win95-*.xpm
thingies from Fvwm95.

kai
-- 
~/.signature: No such file or directory

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 08:08:39 -0400

> programs.  <http://www.kde.org/>

Win 95! Ugh.

fvwm2 truly is able to emulate the 95 look and feel.  Look in the
sample.fvwmrc directory at the file "decor_examples".

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (732) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].