Subject: FVWM: FvwmIconMan

From: "Jakob Ess" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 05:44:17 PDT

Hi!

I have set up my desktop with two StaysOnTop windows: FvwmButtons and 
FwvmIconMan.  I use SmartPlacementIsReallySmart.  New windows should 
avoid overlapping with StaysOnTop windows and icons, that works very 
well except for FwvmIconMan, that apparently is completely invisibel to 
the SmartPlacement routine.  Not only is it not avoided as a StaysOnTop 
window, overlap with FvwmIconMan is not at all taken into account when 
placing new windows.  Can anybody tell me if I can change this?  I have 
appended the relevant (I hope) lines in my .fvwm2rc below.

Versions:  fvwm 2.0.45, FvwmIconMan 0.9.8

Thank you!

Jakob

>From my .fvwm2rc:

		[ snip ]
Style "*" SloppyFocus
Style "xbiff" ClickToFocus
Style "xclock" ClickToFocus
Style "xload" ClickToFocus
Style "top" ClickToFocus
Style "FvwmPager" ClickToFocus

Style "*" MWMFunctions, MWMDecor, MWMButtons

		[ snip ]

############################################################################
# WINDOW Placement
#
# SmartPlacement makes new windows pop-up in blank regions of screen 
Style "*" SmartPlacement
GlobalOpts SmartPlacementIsReallySmart

# If SmartPlacement fails, this places it randomly instead of making you 
do it
Style "*" RandomPlacement

		[snip ]

############################################################################
# STYLE Flag Setup
#
# (decorations and window options) 
# Note: Order is important!! If compatible styles are set, styles are 
ORed
# together. If conflicting styles are set, the last one specified is 
used.

# change the default width, set a global icon, and give borders to 
popups
Style "*" BorderWidth 5, HandleWidth 5, Icon unknown.xpm, 
DecorateTransient, NoPPosition

Style "Fvwm*"		NoTitle, Sticky, WindowListSkip
Style "FvwmButtons"	HandleWidth 0
Style "FvwmIconMan"	HandleWidth 0, ClickToFocus, StaysOnTop, 
CirculateSkip
Style "FvwmButtons"	ClickToFocus, StaysOnTop, CirculateSkip

		[ big snip ]

*FvwmIconMan*nummanagers		1
*FvwmIconMan*background		#c0c0c0
*FvwmIconMan*foreground		black
#*FvwmIconMan*format			"%t"
*FvwmIconMan*format			"%i (%c)"
*FvwmIconMan*buttongeometry		320x0
#*FvwmIconMan*managergeometry		1024x0-0+0
*FvwmIconMan*managergeometry	3x1+0-0
*FvwmIconMan*drawicons		false
*FvwmIconMan*resolution		page
*FvwmIconMan*followfocus		true
*FvwmIconMan*focusbutton		down black #c0c0c0
*FvwmIconMan*focusandselectbutton	down black #e0e0e0
*FvwmIconMan*selectbutton		up black #e0e0e0
*FvwmIconMan*dontshow		class=FvwmButtons resource=FvwmPager

*FvwmIconMan*action     		Mouse   1 N sendcommand Focus, \
	    sendcommand "Iconify -1"
*FvwmIconMan*action     		Mouse   2 N sendcommand "Iconify 1"
*FvwmIconMan*action     		Mouse   3 N sendcommand "Iconify"

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Oct 1997 05:20:58 -0700

I don't really have any comments (except maybe get the latest FvwmIconMan
which is 1.0 :-)) since I really doubt this is a FvwmIconMan problem. I'm
mainly reposting this with a subject more likely to attract people who know.

My only guess is that your line:
Style "Fvwm*"		NoTitle, Sticky, WindowListSkip

is somehow confusing things due to the windowlistskip. My suggestion for a
thing to do is first remove all Style lines, except for the SmartPlacement,
and see if it's still happening. 

-- 
 Brady Montz
 [email-masked]