Subject: FVWM: How do I put decorative lines in titlebar?

From: "Manfred Bartz" <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Oct 1997 14:29:55 +1000

I have seen a fvwm2 titlebar design somewhere that uses a vertical
gradient and in addition 3 or four evenly spaced lines overlayed on
that.  It gives a sort of ``knurled'' look.

I think I understand the vector drawing facility, but titlebars can
vary dynamically in length, so fixed coordinates won't work.

Does anyone know how to produce those lines?  

-- 
Manfred Bartz <[email-masked]>
-----------------------------------------------------------
Damnit Unix, I *AM* the System Administator! Aren't I ?!?!?
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Greg Fall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 01:47:34 -0400 (EDT)

> Does anyone know how to produce those lines?  

I think I can guess.  What you may have seen is the combination of a
sticky window and a vertical gradient.  Maybe.  Anyway, vertical gradients
you do by using something like

TitleStyle VGradient 16 3 Red 20 Blue 30 Black 50 Grey

This is pulled directly from the result of "man fvwm2".  I don't really
get this gradient business 'cause I'm not sure how it works along with the
HilightColor setting and the ForeColor and BackColor style settings.  No
experience.

Which leads me to a similar question.  How do you use "TitleStyle
VGradient" so that you get one gradient for unfocused windows and another
for focused windows?

G.F.

--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--

Greg Fall
[email-masked]
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~gmfall

---

From: Adam Kopacz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 12:56:31 +0200

Manfred Bartz wrote:
hi,

> that.  It gives a sort of ``knurled'' look.

:) 

joe /usr/src/fvwm-2.00.xx/fvwm/borders.c

search for: STICKY =>

  /* now, draw lines in title bar if it's a sticky window */
->  /*if(t->flags & STICKY)*/
  if(1)

comment this out like i here (/*) any all windows will have
'sticky-style'.

> vary dynamically in length, so fixed coordinates won't work.

they aren't fixed.. 

sticky looks great with:

TitleStyle LeftJustified ActiveUp (HGradient 2048 2 LightBlue 45 Red 55
Green -- flat)

or:

TitleStyle ActiveUp (HGradient 2048 2 gray76 45 #f4be9ef9ffff 55 gray76
-- flat)
TitleStyle ActiveUp (HGradient 2048 2 gray76 45 #00006F 55 gray76 --
flat)

+ TitleStyle Height 16

ps: when you don't want to patch then use a Pixmap in the TitleBar:

HilightColor white grey67
TitleStyle centered
TitleStyle ActiveUp TiledPixmap active2.xpm -- flat
TitleStyle InActive TiledPixmap inactive.xpm -- flat
TitleStyle ActiveDown TiledPixmap active2.xpm -- flat
BorderStyle  -- HiddenHandles NoInset
Style "*" MWMFunctions, MWMDecor, MWMBorder, MWMButtons

-- 
Bye,                             Linux/Babes
  Adam Kopacz (kLospatz)    http://www.rat.de/Adam

---

From: Manfred Bartz <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Oct 1997 22:31:34 +1000

Greg Fall <[email-masked]> writes:

> sticky window and a vertical gradient.  Maybe.  

You're absolutely right.  I didn't realize that since I don,t use
sticky windows much, and the ones that I do use don't have a titlebar.

So, does anyone know if I can have those lines for ``unsticky'' windows?

> VGradient" so that you get one gradient for unfocused windows and another

In the appropriate ``AddToDecor'' define something like this:
+ TitleStyle Inactive (VGradient 32 LightGoldenRod Black -- Raised)
+ TitleStyle ActiveUp (VGradient 32 LightGoldenRod Black -- Sunk)
+ TitleStyle ActiveDown (VGradient 32 Black LightGoldenRod -- Flat)

To change between ``convex'' and ``concave'' look, swap the colors.

Regards