Subject: FVWM: Sending commands to Fvwm2 from the cmd line

From: Jeppe Buk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 15:07:36 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi

Does a module exist that allows a shell script to send commands to fvwm
(e.g. via a named pipe)?

I use an alias called 'ec' to call the emacsclient program, and it would
be really useful if it could focus my emacs server window too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeppe Buk, student of computer science           Phone:   +45 6557 2347
IMADA, Odense University                         Email: [email-masked]
Campusvej 55                          WWW: http://www.imada.ou.dk/~buk/
DK-5230 Odense M, Denmark       SMS (subject only): [email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. (Linus Torvalds)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Toshi Isogai <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 18:07:40 -0600 (MDT)

> Does a module exist that allows a shell script to send commands to fvwm

There is a module called FvwmCommand available at
  
 www.concentric.net/~isogai/fvwm2/fvwm2.html

(FvwmCommand come with 2.0.46 probably will not compile as it is.)
(I also have to update the one on my site for SunOS.)

Put it under extra directory of fvwm2 source. Untar it, then run
xmkmf
make
make install
make install_man. 

A man page and samples scripts are in the package.

-----------------------------------------------------
Toshi Isogai    �볭����

KENTEK Information Systems
[email-masked]

---

From: "Gerald John Lapeyre, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 17:07:10 -0700 (MST)

>  www.concentric.net/~isogai/fvwm2/fvwm2.html
	Try PipeRead in the man page

	John

---

From: [email-masked] (Randy J. Ray)
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 11:44:57 -0600

>>>>> "Toshi" == Toshi Isogai <[email-masked]>
>>>>> wrote the following on Thu, 11 Sep 1997 18:07:40 -0600 (MDT)

  Toshi> On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Jeppe Buk wrote:
  >> Hi =20 Does a module exist that allows a shell script to send
  >> commands to fvwm (e.g. via a named pipe)?  =20

  Toshi> There is a module called FvwmCommand available at =20
  Toshi> www.concentric.net/~isogai/fvwm2/fvwm2.html

I think FvwmCommand has to run from Fvwm, like any other module?

For a non-module process to send commands to Fvwm, for now you would have to
run FvwmPipe, or if the command is dedicated to just returning data for Fvwm,
you couls use PipeRead in a function. I've tried using FvwmPipe, but the wait
loop it goes into instantly boosts my server's load by a full point.

Randy
--
===============================================================================
Randy J. Ray -- U S WEST Technologies IAD/CSS/DPDS         Phone: (303)595-2869
                Denver, CO                                     [email-masked]
"It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept." --Calvin
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].