Subject: FVWM: fvwm docs

From: <[email-masked]> (Ronald G. Belcher)
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 08:57:11 -0400

I am an X newbie and am having lots of trouble getting to understand
how to use my XFree86 windows.  I read on this list about using "desk"s
and "page"s and I am not at all sure what these are.

I am accustomed to mwm on aix, but I have not figured out what all the
different icons on the fvwm window frame do, or where to find the
appropriate resource and configuration files for fvwm.

Can somebody please point me to a source of beginner's user guide for
fvwm?  If there is a good book out there I would love to know about it.

I am using RedHat 4.2 on a Intel box and have the RedHat CD's.
Any help will be most appreciated.
------------------------------------------------------------
   Ron     |   INTERNET: [email-masked]
 Belcher   |   IBMnet:   [email-masked]
           |   PHONE:    (914) 892-4214
           |   Home/Eve: [email-masked]  (914) 485-3159
------------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 10:36:37 -0400

On Fri, 5 Sep 1997 08:57:11 -0400
<[email-masked]> (Ronald G. Belcher) 
> and "page"s and I am not at all sure what these are.

XFree86 is just an implementation of the X Window System for x86 machines.
Desks and Pages are an artifact of the window manager, in this case fvwm.

> appropriate resource and configuration files for fvwm.

The window frame buttons depend on your configuration of fvwm.

> I am using RedHat 4.2 on a Intel box and have the RedHat CD's.

In that case you're probably on fvwm-2.0.45. Look at the docs in
/usr/doc/fvwm2-2.0.45-3, then read the fvwm2 man page, then look
at some of the example configs on the web pages given in the FAQ and
on the fvwm home page.

Then just play around with all the settings and see what happens.
That's the fun part :-)

Ric

Richard J Lister, Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Phone: +1 202-687 2878
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].