Subject: Re: FVWM: Problems with fvwm2

From: norvien <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 09:57:20 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks to those who responded to my queries...

Problem #3 (no key response in menus) has been solved -- I was using
"Menu" when I should have been using "Popup".

Problem #2 (no key response after exiting a window), I have been told,
is a Known Infelicity: hopefully this will be ironed out eventually.

Problem #1 (restated below) has not yet been solved.  I tried invoking
xclock with -padding 0, tried setting up my FvwmButton with Padding 0 0
but neither (nor both together) worked.  I seem to remember a NoTitle
option for the Buttons, but I haven't tried that yet -- maybe that
will work (although, since I don't explicitly give the clock a title,
why would this make a difference?).

> >Problem #1: When swallowing xclock into an FvwmButton, the clock is
> >too small, and won't respond to my efforts at making it larger.  I'd
> >like it to fill up the button, but it stubbornly remains small.

Here's what the line looks like in my .fvwmbuttonsrc file (called by
.fvwm2rc):

============
(Icon clock.xpm Padding 0 0 Swallow(Respawn) xclock `Exec xclock 
-bg khaki4 -padding 0` ) 
============

My only other comment, besides the fact that I think fvwm2 rocks, is
that I wish there was some way to tell a program to start on a certain
Page (not Desk) -- I've seen discussion of a StartsOnPage style, but
this is different than what I want -- I don't want a window _always_
to start on a certain page, just when I call it up in a certain
function -- so a modifier to Exec might do the trick.  I don't know.
Maybe there is a way to do this already, and I just haven't found it
yet: if so, any advice would be appreciated.

Again, thanks to those who have helped me thus far.

Christopher Possanza
 [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 13:35:01 -0400

> Here's what the line looks like in my .fvwmbuttonsrc file (called by

I still can't reproduce the problem, it looks  OK to me.  Of course, I
can't really tell what you are looking for.  I've included my complete
FvwmButtons config, and a "gif" file showing the resulting buttonbar.

I'm running this with the Solaris version of xclock:

*FvwmButtonsFore black
*FvwmButtonsBack gray
*FvwmButtonsFont -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-12-*
*FvwmButtonsGeometry -1-1
*FvwmButtonsRows 1
*FvwmButtons Start map.xpm Popup StartMenu
*FvwmButtons (2x1 Container())
*FvwmButtons Resize  	 mini.resize.xpm   Resize
*FvwmButtons Move    	 mini.move.xpm     Move
*FvwmButtons Lower   	 mini.lower.xpm    Lower
*FvwmButtons Raise   	 mini.raise.xpm    Raise
*FvwmButtons Delete  	 mini.delete.xpm   Delete
*FvwmButtons Destroy 	 mini.destroy.xpm  Destroy
*FvwmButtons "Stick"     mini.stick.xpm    Stick
*FvwmButtons Restart     mini.excl.xpm     ButtonRestart
*FvwmButtons (End)
*FvwmButtons(2x1, Swallow "FvwmPager" "FvwmPager 0 1")
*FvwmButtons(2x1, Size 64 64, Swallow "XSysStats" 'Exec xsysstats \
 -hidelabels -sample 10 -bg gray -fg black -type disk -color blue \
 -type packets -color darkgreen -type cpu -color red')
*FvwmButtons(Icon clock.xpm Padding 0 0 Swallow(Respawn) xclock \
  `Exec xclock -bg khaki4 -padding 0` ) 
*FvwmButtons(1x1, Padding 8 8, Container(Frame 1))
*FvwmButtons(Swallow "asclock" 'Exec asclock -shape -led green -noblink')
*FvwmButtons(End)

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854

---

From: Larry Gensch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 14:50:03 -0400 (EDT)

> yet: if so, any advice would be appreciated.

Try this, to run an xterm on desk #2, page 1,1:

Desk 0 2
GotoPage 1 1
Exec /usr/bin/X11/xterm -T "myterm"
wait "myterm"

-- 
(void) lar3ry();                                      [email-masked]

     "Sometimes it happens.  People just explode.  Natural causes."

---

From: Michael Tiefenback <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 16:09:44 -0400 (EDT)

At the risk of pushing an analogy too far, one _could_ get essentially the
desired behavior (put a given window on a given page of a given desk) by
the following mechanism (given the geometry held by the system, you
should be able to place a window to pixel resolution with respect to any
fiducial marker you choose; this is what differential GPS does):

Generate a "benchmark" window at geometry +0+0

>From wherever you are, knowing the page size, fvwm can pick up the
geometry of the window of this name, relative to the present page.  If
your display is 1280x1024 and you are 3 pages right and 1 down from the
starting page, you will pick up the geometry (a' la WindowList) as
-3840-1024. 

With this bit of info, you can anchor any new window at any point of any
page, and add to it the StartsOnDesk option with a SkipMapping option
added.

It "should not be too hard" to allow fvwm2 to make a phantom "window" at
startup and keep track of where this window is over time.  Then the "page"
one is on will be available trivially and one may make offsets with
respect to the current page.  Gotta go now, late for a meeting....

Michael Tiefenback