Subject: FVWM: Netscape mis-behaving...

From: "Patrick K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 19:10:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

   I just thought I'd share with all of you a little annoyance I have
   observed a few times.

   Just now my netscape 4.03 (aka communicator) froze... kept control
   of my pointer and would not allow me to shift focus to an xterm
   in order to kill it.

   I had to wait for it to release control of the pointer for about
   10 minutes!!  Is there any other solution to this but waiting
   (Short of kill the X server - or dropping to console and kill
   netscape from there).

   I kind of thend to think  this is a wm problem.
   
   Any comments on this as to why fvwm (2.0.45) would allow an X client
   to take over control???

   Is it proper to dismiss this as a problem of fvwm2?  If not are there
   any explainations as to why this would be allowed?

   If this is a wm problem does anyone see a nice little fix for it?

   I'm running fvwm 2.0.45 on Linux 2.0.0 on a i486 DX2 66 with 32MB RAM
   and 2.1 gig drive ( with plenty of swap space :)

   Thanks in advance,

Patrick ...
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Steve Tynor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 97 22:48:49 EDT

Patrick K. <[email-masked]> wrote:

|    Just now my netscape 4.03 (aka communicator) froze... kept control
|    of my pointer and would not allow me to shift focus to an xterm
|    in order to kill it.
| 
|    I had to wait for it to release control of the pointer for about
|    10 minutes!!  Is there any other solution to this but waiting
|    (Short of kill the X server - or dropping to console and kill
|    netscape from there).
| 
|    I kind of thend to think  this is a wm problem.

FWIW, this happens from me from time to time too (netscape 4.03, fvwm2
2.0.43 on both Linux and Solaris 2.5).  Seems to happen most often if I
get impatient and click a mouse button while netscape is "busy" opening
a new window. It also used to happen with older versions of netscape and
when I was running tvtwm.  I suspect netscape rather than the wm. But
know of no way to determine what's wrong.  Help?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
....racing is life.  Everything else is just waiting. -- Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Steve Tynor		Email:   [email-masked]
Tower Technology 	WWW:     http://www.twr.com/
Retooling the Software Industry for the 21st Century (sm)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Jose' Manuel Pereira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 21:43:14 +0100

"PK" == Patrick K <[email-masked]> writes:
  PK> Just now my netscape 4.03 (aka communicator) froze... kept control of my
  PK> pointer and would not allow me to shift focus to an xterm in order to
  PK> kill it.

  PK> I had to wait for it to release control of the pointer for about 10
  PK> minutes!! Is there any other solution to this but waiting (Short of kill
  PK> the X server - or dropping to console and kill netscape from there).

I saw this on a Sparc 10, Solaris 2.4, Netscape 4.03b-something.

  PK> I kind of thend to think this is a wm problem.

Never happened to me with Netscape 4.03 final. Now, only Netsc(r)ape freezes...
For me, it's quite an improvement, since I do not have a virtual console to
escape (I mean L1-a, for veteran Sun users  >-)

  PK> Any comments on this as to why fvwm (2.0.45) would allow an X client to
  PK> take over control???

It's not fvwm or *wm, it just takes a Xlib call... ;-)

regards,
--
 Jose' Pereira
 mailto:[email-masked]
 Tel. +351.1.841 9340 - Fax. +351.1.841 7499
 DEEC - Dep. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
 Instituto Superior Tecnico - Technical University of Lisboa
 Av. Rovisco Pais - 1096 Lisboa Codex - Portugal
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].