Subject: Re: FVWM: One Question??

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Sep 1997 18:37:34 +0200

>>>>> On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, Generic Account 0217 said:

  Generic> What is the difference between FVWM and Motif????

Motif is commercial.  It is a library of GUI elements that can be used
for C programs.  Motif also comes with some example programs, such as
mwm, the Motif window manager.  Often, people say Motif when they mean
mwm.

Fvwm is free software (as defined by the GNU public licence).  It is a
window manager.

A window manager is a program that draws borders around windows, that
lets you move windows from one place to another, that lets you choose
a window from a list of windows, and so on.  Because the window
manager functionality is embedded into popular OSes like Win95, people
coming from these systems have difficulty seeing the advantage of
having a special window manager program that does this.  The
advantage, of course, is that you can choose the program that you like
best, and often these programs are customizable to a degree much
beyond that of Win95.  For example, I have customized my Fvwm to look
(but not feel) like Win95, because I really liked that combination of
grey with dark blue, but I didn't like the keybindings and mouse
bindings at all.

kai
-- 
I like both kinds of music.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].