Subject: FVWM: Help with Fvwm and perfmeter.

From: Uncle Bulgaria <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Sep 1997 09:34:43 +0100

I'd be grateful if someone out there could help me with a little niggle
I have with FvwmButtons and fvwm 2.0.45.

my setup at the moment is as follows :

*FvwmButtonsFore Black 
*FvwmButtonsBack lightgrey
**FvwmButtonsFont -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
*FvwmButtonsGeometry 720x76-2-2
*FvwmButtonsRows 1

*FvwmButtons(Swallow coolmail	'Exec coolmail -e "" -f /var/mail/lwillis -geometry 76x76-100-100 -int 20 -fr 60 &')
*FvwmButtons(Swallow xclock	'Exec xclock -fg black -bg lightgrey -hd red -hl red -geometry -1000-1000 &')
*FvwmButtons(3x1, Swallow perfmeter  'Exec perfmeter -g -S -H -geometry +1048+0 -bg lightgrey -fg #660066 &') 
*FvwmButtons(3x1, Swallow xdaliclock 'Exec xdaliclock -12 -nocycle -noseconds -bg lightgrey -fg black -geometry 280x80+0+0 &') 

Everything works fine except that when I first start up the performance
meter doesn't appear and the button is pressed in (All the others are
up!)
It's not a problem with the path as I've tried including the absolute
path name in the Exec bit, and when I copy the perfmeter -g -S -H
etc. to an xterm and run it from there it runs, and Fvwm swallows it
fine, but I can't seem to get it to start when I start (or restart) my
Fvwm

Any ideas gratefully accepted ...

Lee.
-- 
This is a bug in that version of Netscape.  Upgrade to a previous
version.
(Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Greg Fall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 16:16:50 -0400 (EDT)

> *FvwmButtons(3x1, Swallow perfmeter  'Exec perfmeter -g -S -H -geometry 
+1048+0 -bg lightgrey -fg #660066 &') 

Most X apps require double quotes around command line options that have a
# character.  Try

*FvwmButtons(3x1, Swallow perfmeter 'Exec perfmeter -g -S -H -geometry
+1048+0 -bg lightgrey -fg "#660066"'

You don't need to put & after any Exec stuff in fvwm2, by the way.

--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--

Greg Fall
[email-masked]
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~gmfall

---

From: Martin Cartwright <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 09:32:31 +0100 (BST)

->*FvwmButtonsFore Black 
->*FvwmButtonsBack lightgrey
->**FvwmButtonsFont -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
->*FvwmButtonsGeometry 720x76-2-2
->*FvwmButtonsRows 1
->
->*FvwmButtons(Swallow coolmail	'Exec coolmail -e "" -f /var/mail/lwillis -geometry 76x76-100-100 -int 20 -fr 60 &')
->*FvwmButtons(Swallow xclock	'Exec xclock -fg black -bg lightgrey -hd red -hl red -geometry -1000-1000 &')
->*FvwmButtons(3x1, Swallow perfmeter  'Exec perfmeter -g -S -H -geometry +1048+0 -bg lightgrey -fg #660066 &') 
->*FvwmButtons(3x1, Swallow xdaliclock 'Exec xdaliclock -12 -nocycle -noseconds -bg lightgrey -fg black -geometry 280x80+0+0 &') 
->
->Everything works fine except that when I first start up the performance
->meter doesn't appear and the button is pressed in (All the others are
->up!)
->It's not a problem with the path as I've tried including the absolute
->path name in the Exec bit, and when I copy the perfmeter -g -S -H
->etc. to an xterm and run it from there it runs, and Fvwm swallows it
->fine, but I can't seem to get it to start when I start (or restart) my
->Fvwm
->

I suspect it may be a problem with the way you specified the
foreground colour in the perfmeter the -fg option really only likes a
name for the colour. Try using the alternative option 

-Wf red green blue

where red/green/blue are _decimal_ not hex values from 0-255.

[email-masked] --- http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~imc/vom.htm
-/-------------------------------------------------------------\-
|    "Sponges grow in the ocean ... I wonder how much deeper    |
|          the ocean would be if that didn't happen."           |
-\-------------------------------------------------------------/-

---

From: Uncle Bulgaria <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Sep 1997 09:13:57 +0100

> +1048+0 -bg lightgrey -fg "#660066"'

Cheers, this seems to have solved the problem.
Thanks for all the other suggestions too.

Lee.