Subject: FVWM: Problems with fvwm2

From: norvien <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 09:11:10 -0700 (PDT)

Well, I've held out on using fvwm2 for some time now, being quite
content with the old 1.24, but the summer heat finally got to my head
and I decided to give it a shot.  After a couple of weeks of tinkering
and learning, I have a fairly useable .fvwm2rc file.  I do have,
however, a few problems which I have been unable to solve.  I've check
the archives and the man pages and haven't found anything yet, so I
was hoping some kind soul here might be willing to lend me a hand (or
at least some advice).

I'm using the fvwm2 from fvwm2-2.0.46-2.i386.rpm.

Problem #1: When swallowing xclock into an FvwmButton, the clock is
too small, and won't respond to my efforts at making it larger.  I'd
like it to fill up the button, but it stubbornly remains small.

Problem #2: After closing any window (using any method -- logging out
of an xterm, closing, deleting or destroying) my Key mappings won't
work until I use the mouse -- can't scroll with Ctrl-Arrow, can't
start up the root menu with Alt-F1, etc.  After I click on something
with the mouse, the Key mappings work again.

Problem #3: Menus don't respond to keys like they used to in 1.24.
ESC used to close a menu; not anymore.  Arrow keys used to move the
cursor down, up or across a menu; not anymore.  I have some menus with
underscored abbreviations (using the ampersand feature in the menu
lines), and these don't respond to key presses either.

I will gladly submit some or all of my .fvwm2rc file for inspection if
necessary.  I apologize if these are simple problems and I'm
overlooking something in the manpages, but, as I said, I have looked.

Any help will be appreciated.

Christopher Possanza
 [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 14:01:46 -0400

> like it to fill up the button, but it stubbornly remains small.

I didn't see the problem when I  tried, perhaps you should try sending
the  part of your  config that shows the   problem.  I'm not a regular
fvwmButtons user, so send it to the list, not me.

> with the mouse, the Key mappings work again.

This is a known problem.  So far, no one has tracked it down.
I tried, but so far, no success.

> lines), and these don't respond to key presses either.

The arrow keys in menus should work, I use them  all the time.  Escape
works, except in cases where  you are using mwm menus,  and are over a
submenu item.   Hot keys should also work.   Perhaps something in your
.fvwm2rc is causing the problem,  however, I don't  see how.  Maybe if
you post your whole .fvwm2rc, someone will try it out...

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Trent Piepho <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 12:10:25 -0700 (PDT)

> like it to fill up the button, but it stubbornly remains small.

Normally xclock puts a margin between the clock dial and the edge of
the window, so it's a little smaller than a window.  With really small clocks,
like those inside buttons, this makes the clock not use enough of the window
space.  From the xclock man page:

 -padding number
               This option specifies the width in pixels  of  the
               padding  between  the window border and clock text
               or picture.  The default is 10 on a digital  clock
               and 8 on an analog clock.

Try setting it to zero.

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun.   |
|Trent Piepho ([email-masked])                   -- Metallica  |
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].