Subject: FVWM: FvwmIconBox (FVWM-2.0.45)

From: "Erwin J. van Eijk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 13:07:29 +0200

Hi,

I was thinking the following; I'm using Emacs with a lot of different
files and a lot of different frames. And I'd like it very much if the
icon displayed reflected the name of the frame. For instance, if I'm
editing a C-file, the frame is called foo.c. I have a FvwmIconBox
binding for "*.c" and an icon, and I want that icon displayed.

However, this only works if the window is created with the name "*.c",
and not if it changes afterwards. I think the following should be
happening:

If the Iconlabel changes, make a new lookup of the icon pixmap.

Is this easy to implement, or am I wondering the impossible?

Greetings
EJ
--
+--------------------+
| Erwin J.  van Eijk | Functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism
| [email-masked]       | We are the vandals
+--------------------+          - Type O Negative
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (David S. Goldberg)
Date: 30 Sep 1997 08:47:40 -0400

This should be in the FAQ by now...

What you're asking for is not currently possible, at least not
entirely.  Fvwm doesn't monitor windows for name changes and then do
the equivalent of recapture to apply new styles based on that change.
For what it's worth, IMHO it shouldn't, though there is one possible
change that I wouldn't mind seeing (see below).

That said, there's a couple things you can do that might make things a
bit easier for you if you limit yourself to emacs frames.  If you're
willing to live with bitmap icons, you can have emacs specify the icon
to use as a frame parameter and set up some hook or other to set that
parameter if the name changes in a particular fashion.  I'm not sure
exactly how to go about that, though.  The easiest thing to do is
ensure that frames are created with the name you want as you're
already aware.  There's a couple of packages out there that purport to
do this; I've only used my own dsg-frames.el so I can't give a
comparison.  

It would be nice if the monitor mode of FvwmCommand (in the extras
directory of the fvwm distribution) could, but currently there's no
way to do a recapture of a single window.  If that feature could be
added, then one could have FvwmCommand monitor all, say, emacs windows
and apply styles to them as their titles changed.  If you didn't mind
a recapture being done every time you did a find-file then maybe you
could do this today.

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 781-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 11:05:06 -0400

> Is this easy to implement, or am I wondering the impossible?

Actually, I've been working on a patch that may help.

Currently fvwm2 assigns an  icon box to each  window as the  window is
created.

The patch that  I have been  working on is to  allow for multiple icon
boxes like this:

Style "*" IconBox x y x y
Style "*" IconBox x y x y

This way after  the first iconbox  is filled, it would   go on to  the
second icon box and fill it.

In order for this to work, I plan to find  the appropriate icon box at
the time  the window  is iconified,  rather than  when  the  window is
created.

I believe that since fvwm2 sees the new  icon label, this patch should
place the icon in the appropriate box at iconification time.

I can't  say when this  patch will  be completed, but   I can say, its
somewhere between easy and "not impossible".

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].