Subject: FVWM: AotoRaise

From: Adam Kopacz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 09:38:03 +0200

hi,

sometimes wen i click a menu in a app then autoraise brings the window
in front and the menu back! :( this sucks because i can't see then the
menu and must click it again... 

i have read that this is a big problem in all windows manager and works
only 100% in 'mwm'.. why ??? 

-- 
Bye,                             Linux/Babes
  Adam Kopacz (kLospatz)    http://www.rat.de/Adam

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 09:20:10 -0700

Previously...
>menu and must click it again... 

I've also noticed the same problem with StaysOnTop windows. I have a
procmeter swallowed in an oversize FvwmButton, and the first click
always leaves the menu beneath my FvwmButton. I guess the click that
focusses my FvwmButtons (I use ClickToFocus) also Raise's my
FvwmButton, but only *after* sending the click to procmeter and
mapping its menu? No big deal, but while we were on the topic, thought
I'd chime in. Oh, fvwm2.0.46 on Linux 2.0.29, AX2.1, though I expect
it's not specific to anything I have...
__________
mike ([email-masked])
I will not grease the monkey bars
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Cliff Trapp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 10:02:44 -0700 (MST)

Here's a newbie question for you. What do you mean by the term
"swallowing". I would also like to know if there exists a more in-depth
document describing configuring fvwm, than the FAQ. I did get TkGoodStuff
installed, but it doesn't work completely. BTW, I am on a Solaris 2.5.1
Sparc10.

TIA for any pointers and tips!

regards,

Cliff Trapp

---

From: Bruce Stephens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 18:21:22 +0100

[email-masked] said:
> "swallowing". I would also like to know if there exists a more 
> in-depth document describing configuring fvwm, than the FAQ.

FvwmButtons can contain buttons which execute fvwm commands (mostly to start 
programs, but it's up to you really).  It can also swallow windows.  For 
example, I have an xclipboard, a couple of xloads, an FvwmPager and an oclock 
in my FvwmButtons.  For things that you know are going to be on your screen 
almost all the time, it makes sense to have them tied together, without their 
own titlebars.

fvwm comes with manpages ("make install.man").  These are all pretty terse, 
however.  There are example configuration files around the place.  fvwm is 
quite popular amongst Linux users, too, and there are a few tutorial type 
things directed towards that, most of which should be pretty much the same for 
Solaris.