Subject: FVWM: StartsOnPage revisited

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 01:00:53 -0400 (EDT)

There's been a fair amount of discussion recently about 
how to start an app on a particular page of the virtual desktop.
A StartsOnPage patch was posted here by Robert Joop back in April,
but it seems to have been largely ignored, possibly because it 
forced you to give up MiniIcons.

        I took a stab at a new StartsOnPage patch over the weekend.
It's working, but not quite complete. If you want to give it a try,
I've put up a page for my vast collection of FVWM patches (both of 
them) at 

        http://www.pcnet.com/~proteus/Fvwm/FvwmPatches.html

        Like the earlier effort, the StartsOnPage Patch implements a
new Style, StartsOnPage, but this one combines the functions of
StartsOnDesk and StartsOnPage. You can specify desktop only, page 
only, or both. It uses the existing STARTSONDESK_FLAG (StartsOnDesk
still works like always), so you don't have to give up any other
Styles to try it out. The Web page gives more detail, and the patch
includes a man page update.

        One caveat (this is the not-quite-complete part): it does
not address capturing/recapturing already existing windows, like at
startup or restart. Under certain conditions recaptured StartsOnPage
windows won't show up where you expect them. It is left as an 
exercise for the reader to figure out why.  ;-)   I'll try to add 
this part in the next few days, time permitting.

        Cheers,
        Bob

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].