Subject: FVWM: M4 quirks

From: Greg Fall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 17:42:14 -0400 (EDT)

My X startup script is called .Xclients.  I have always chosen my startup
programs by putting them in this file, and starting the window manager at
the end.  It has always worked.

Now I am invoking fvwm2 with the command

exec fvwm2 -cmd "FvwmM4 -debug /usr/local.....

It works very well, except for one thing.  The correct colors and buttons
(styles, actually) are not being applied to the windows that appeared 
before fvwm2 started.  Now if I take the .fvwm2rc file created by the
-debug option above, put it in my home directory, and change my fvwm2
invocation in .Xclients to

exec fvwm2

Those windows get the correct styles when fvwm2 starts.

Get it?

Now if I restart fvwm2 from the session where the correct styles were not
applied to the old windows, those styles are applied after the restart is
done.

Without putting the programs I want in my InitFunction can anybody tell me
how to get the correct styes to apply to existing windows when M4
preprocesses my startup file?

Greg

--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--

Greg Fall
[email-masked]
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~gmfall

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (David S. Goldberg)
Date: 17 Sep 1997 08:38:22 -0400

One of my former colleagues had this problem.  His solution was to put
a recapture at the end of his initfunction.  That seemed to do the
trick for him.  I can't say for sure as I've got a winning streak
going when it comes to this race.

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 781-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Greg Fall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 12:29:14 -0400 (EDT)

> going when it comes to this race.

Thanks a million; that sort of works.  Still not sure if I need
UpdateDecor, but it looks good...

Okay, the whole story.  Regardless of the situation, if I use M4, old
windows don't get the correct styles without Recapture.  But there's
another snafu:  if you invoke FvwmM4 from .fvwm2rc, InitFunction does not
happen unless you explicity put the command "InitFunction" somewhere in
your set-up.

Thanks again, David.

Greg

Greg Fall
[email-masked]