Subject: FVWM: fvwm2 binaries for Sparc/Solaris 2.5

From: Kevin Werner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 22:51:46 -0500

Does anyone know of a site where pre-compiled binaries for
fvwm2 can be found?  I've been using 1.24 for a couple
years now.  I've tried to compile fvwm2 with most new revs 
that have been released, with no luck.

I don't have root permission on my Sparc20.  The Solaris
install must be "non-standard".  I don't remember what
exactly the problems were; I think related to imake.
Anyway, I have gotten a couple other apps to compile
with my limited knowledge of make/imake/etc (vim5, xv3.1).

Our corporate IS guys won't put "beta software" on
the corporate software collection.

Anyway, will this even work (run-time libraries may not
be where fvwm2 expects them)?  If someone with this
compiled version could zip it & put it on the web, that
we be awesome.  Otherwise I'm stuck with 1.24 for a while.

Thanks,

       Kevin Werner              http://www.iquest.net/~kwerner 
  mailto:[email-masked]       http://www.iquest.net/~xeno
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Sep 1997 11:14:33 +0200

>>>>> On Wed, 03 Sep 1997, Kevin Werner said:

  Kevin> I don't have root permission on my Sparc20.  The Solaris
  Kevin> install must be "non-standard".  I don't remember what
  Kevin> exactly the problems were; I think related to imake.
  Kevin> Anyway, I have gotten a couple other apps to compile
  Kevin> with my limited knowledge of make/imake/etc (vim5, xv3.1).

You do not need root permissions to compile and install Fvwm on
Solaris.  The only thing you need to do is to modify Fvwm.tmpl to
point to the directories where you want to install stuff, eg
/home/kwerner/bin, /home/kwerner/man, /home/kwerner/lib and so on.

You might also need to edit Fvwm.tmpl to point to your libxpm if it
isn't installed in /usr/openwin/lib.  But that is no problem either:
just get libxpm, compile it, install it in ~/lib, point Fvwm.tmpl at
it.

I have successfully compiled and installed fvwm-2.0.45 under Solaris
2.5, in a non-standard directory
(/app/unido-i06/share/gui/fvwm/2.0.45), with a libxpm which was also
installed in a non-standard directory.  I didn't need root permissions
for anything except creating the directory where to install fvwm.

kai
-- 
I like both kinds of music.