Subject: FVWM: Re: Problems with fvwm2

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 01:37:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 4 Sep., Christopher Possanza <[email-masked]> wrote
>  My only other comment, besides the fact that I think fvwm2 rocks, is
> that I wish there was some way to tell a program to start on a certain
> Page (not Desk) -- I've seen discussion of a StartsOnPage style, but
> this is different than what I want -- I don't want a window _always_
> to start on a certain page, just when I call it up in a certain
> function -- so a modifier to Exec might do the trick...
to which Larry Gensch <[email-masked]> replied with some useful 
advice.

        Actually, a StartsOnPage style would work quite well
for your purpose. If you can give the program you start from of
your special-placement function a unique window title, like so

    AddToFunc  StartMeOnPage3
    +          "I"  Exec exec xterm -T "MyPage3Term"

then you would just specify a style something like

    Style "MyPage3Term"  StartsOnPage 1 2 0

        If you can't control the window title for the app, then what
you'd need to do in your function is to set your special page style,
then exec and wait for the window to appear, then reset to the original
style, e.g.

    Style  "ArbitraryStylename1"  ShowMapping, StartsAnywhere
    Style  "Page3"                SkipMapping, StartsOnPage 2 0

    AddToFunc  StartMeOnPage3
    +          "I"    Style  "MyProg"  UseStyle "Page3"
    +          "I"    Exec exec myprog &
    +          "I"    wait   "MyProg"
    +          "I"    Style  "MyProg"  UseStyle "ArbitraryStylename1"

        If you don't mind having FVWM switch you to the desk & page 
where the app is to be started, then Larry's suggested approach may
be even better - you don't have to go through all the style stuff.

        Cheers,
        Bob

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].