Subject: FVWM: RMAIL and fvwm

From: Stefan Harbeck <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 18:47:15 +0200

I am using emacs and its mail reader vm for a while. I wanted the mail reader
window to be sticky so I added the line

Style   "RMAIL*"        MiniIcon mini-letter.xpm,Sticky

to my .fvwm2rc file. After restarting fvwm everything worked fine, when when
the RMAIL window is already open. But when I close it and open it once again
the properties the new window is not sticky. Only a restart of fvwm helps. So
can someone tell me what is going wrong?

Stefan Harbeck
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (David S. Goldberg)
Date: 03 Sep 1997 14:45:44 -0400

> I am using emacs and its mail reader vm for a while. I wanted the
> mail reader window to be sticky so I added the line

> to my .fvwm2rc file. After restarting fvwm everything worked fine,
> when when the RMAIL window is already open. But when I close it and
> open it once again the properties the new window is not sticky. Only
> a restart of fvwm helps. So can someone tell me what is going wrong?

This is because Emacs is creating the new frame before you run rmail
in it, which is what puts the buffer name in the title.  Fvwm only
checks the window names for applying style when the window is first
created.  Unless you do a restart or recapture, fvwm won't see
changes.  So, you want to ensure that frame will be created with the
name you want to match your Style.  To do this, call make-frame with a
parameter list that includes the 'name symbol.

hth,

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]