Subject: FVWM: Are you listed?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 07:11:29 -0400 (EDT)

I just surfed in from your Yahoo listing.  It's good to see that

you are listed there...

As a webmaster or webmarketer, you know that getting traffic from 
the search engines and directories is absolutely crucial to the 
success of your (or your client's) site.  You have probably used 
Submit-it or another service to submit your sites.   Submit-it is 
a really great service .... but, as you may be aware, the search 
engines don't always process the submissions, and they also drop 
many sites that used to be listed out of the directories to keep 
the size of their database down, so you never can be sure if you 
have an active listing, till now.

So, we have launched a new service called did-it.com at 
http://www.did-it.com. The did-it.com Detective will check any 
URL to see if the URL is listed in the search engines and e-mail 
you a status report FREE OF CHARGE.  If you find you're not listed, 
you can utilize our Did-it submission service.  What is unique about 
this service is that it will monitor the status of your site on all 
the popular search engines and automatically resubmit you wherever 
you're not listed. Today, that's the ONLY way you can be sure you 
get listed and stay listed, automatically.

Come take a look... http://www.did-it.com  and use our detective 
service FREE!

BTW, If you like our service you can also become a did-it.com 
Partner.  In exchange for putting a small icon next to a link to us, 
you will become eligible for did-it.com Partner benefits.  Check out 
the partner program at: http://www.did-it.com/  click on the partner 
icon.

Thanks so much.

Regards,
The did-it.com team.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Krischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 09:22:33 -0400

MUST KILL--

stop it, he's just a webmarketeer, he can't hel--

NO! MUST STOP SPAM! MUST KILL ALL!!

ok. can't say i didn't try....

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Aug 1997 11:00:07 -0500

More fodder for the filter, folks; please don't bother replying.

(BTW, the filters trapped the removal request; it seems some misguided soul
actually thinks that following the instructions will remove you from
anything.  In reality, they use information from the removal request to
send you more mail.)

 - J<

---

From: "Todd T. Fries" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 12:09:07 -0500

> ok. can't say i didn't try....

For those of you who didn't bother, I visited the web page.  It appears
somehow this 'imeec' company which promotest ethical use of email marketing
has somehow gone through Yahoo and spammed email addresses of potential
companies.  Somehow it thought the fvwm mailing list was a company.  Whatever.

Anyway, the solution is to unsubscribe the fvwm mailing list from their
company's list, and I also am cc'ing this message to the company's admin,
hoping that this type of thing in the future can be avoided (sending email
to list serve addresses)...

Please, lets not have a dozen people respond to whatever '2nd step' they
send to this list to remove the fvwm list from their list.  I'll take
care of it.

--
Todd Fries .. [email-masked]

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Aug 1997 12:45:58 -0500

>>>>> "TTF" == Todd T Fries <[email-masked]> writes:

TTF> Anyway, the solution is to unsubscribe the fvwm mailing list from
TTF> their company's list, and I also am cc'ing this message to the
TTF> company's admin, hoping that this type of thing in the future can be
TTF> avoided (sending email to list serve addresses)...

Sigh.  No, the answer is to ignore the spam and let me filter it out.  By
interacting with them further, you

1) Just give me more filter fodder (I've already received several copies of
   their stupid removal notice)
2) Put your name on all of their lists.  They will now spam you directly.

They do not listen to your requests to be removed.  They only do it as a
front to seem reasonable and to collect more addresses.

TTF> Please, lets not have a dozen people respond to whatever '2nd step'
TTF> they send to this list to remove the fvwm list from their list.

That response will never make it here.

 - J<