Subject: FVWM: Re: Pie menus

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 00:41:18 -0400 (EDT)

>>>>  "BW" = Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
>>>>  "JT" = Jason L. Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>

BW> Now, lest you set yourself up for disappointment...the "pies" aren't
BW> round.

JT> I am disappointed.  I suppose you could use a shaped window, to make
JT> it sort of oval.

        Yeah, I was disappointed too when I saw it. I suspect that Don
Hopkins just threw this hack of tvtwm together as a quick proof of 
concept exercise. To judge from his papers on the subject, he seems to
have been more interested in the ergonomics of navigating the pie layout
than in the actual visual appearance of the window.

        If you chase enough links in Don's pages (referenced in Theo
Honohan's post), you will *eventually* stumble across a screenshot of
a circular pie menu. It takes a bit of patience to find (the links are
sometimes circular, too), but I think it was the screenshot of his 
SimCity work. This, I believe, is what everyone's looking for when the
recurring pie menu discussion crops up.

        It would seem that an ambitious module writer could probably
find most of what he needs by perusing the shape mask handling for
shaped pixmap icons, together Don's pie menu code from piewm. If anyone
decides to give it a try, *please* go the module route. I'm eager to see
Chuck finish cleaning up the core code and get 2.1 out  --  so he can get
on with the Great Style Flag Rewrite (TM).

        Cheers,
        Bob 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].