Subject: FVWM: Fvwm and its own ColorMaps

From: Brian Sayatovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 14:42:57 -0400

I'm trying to reduce the number of colors Fvwm2 hogs on my 256 color display.
I'm already reducing the colors in my pixmaps to a standard color map.  But I
noticed that even though my FvwmButtons and all of my menus have the same
background, and theoretically the same highlight and shadow, the menus are
currently missing their highlights and shadows!  This changes with every restart
as I change things around, but why don't they use the same color cell?  Just
what is the organization behind Fvwm's color usage.  Do the modules share any of
those colors?  Is there anything I can do to correct this?  I thought simply
usng the same color names and valus thrught my fvwm and module configurations
that they wouldshare, but seemingly, this is not true.

Brian.

--
 ___________________________________________________________
|                                                           |
|  Brian Sayatovic                 (mailto:[email-masked])  |
| --------------------------------------------------------- |
|  International TechneGroup, Inc. (http://www.iti-oh.com)  |
|___________________________________________________________|

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 15:42:23 -0400

> that they wouldshare, but seemingly, this is not true.

The menus relief and shadow are computed in fvwm/colors.c
FvwmButtons reief and shadow are computed in modules/FvwmButtons/FvwmButtons.c

The calculation of the relief seems to be the same, but I am
not sure about the rounding on the highlight:

((rgb/50)/100) vs. rgb>>1

If XPM is defined, "FvwmButtons.c" uses the  XPM library to allocate a
"close" color, where colors.c  uses XAllocColor.  Providing the  exact
color is available they should both be able to share a color cell.

>From the symptom you describe, I would have to guess that you were out
of color at  the time fvwm  tried to get the color  it needed for  the
menu.

Sure would be nice if all this calculation was in one place...

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].