Subject: FVWM: other meta key bindings

From: "Erwin J. van Eijk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 18:19:57 +0200

hi,

I would like to know if someone has been able to use other keys as
a meta key.  I have the current problem that I have more than one
key which I would gladly use as a metakey instead of the default key.

I am using fvwm-2.0.45. under Ultrix 4.3.

Is this possible without altering the source code?

Thanks for your help

EJ

--
+--------------------+
| Erwin J.  van Eijk | Functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism
| [email-masked]       | We are the vandals
+--------------------+          - Type O Negative
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Aug 1997 18:36:58 +0200

>>>>> On Mon, 04 Aug 1997, Erwin J van Eijk said:

  Erwin> I would like to know if someone has been able to use other
  Erwin> keys as a meta key.

You can use xmodmap to tell any key to be Meta_L or Meta_R.  But you
can't have more than one Meta_L key, likewise for Meta_R.

You can tell Fvwm to use other modifiers than Ctrl, Shift, Meta: use 1
to mean mod1, 2 for mod2 and so on.  Type xmodmap -pk to see which
modifiers are active and what keys they have.

You can use xmodmap to tell any to that it's got the Meta modifier:

    xmodmap -e "add mod1 = Caps_Lock"

(Not that this example makes sense.)

kai
-- 
Signature?  What signature?

---

From: "Erwin J. van Eijk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 08:33:44 +0200

Hi,

>can't have more than one Meta_L key, likewise for Meta_R.

<smack on the head> Right, that figures. I have an LK401 keyboard
which has 4 keys which can quite well be defined as Meta keys. I was
stunned by this effect however, because Fvwm cannot deal with multiple
Meta_L bindings, but Emacs can!

>(Not that this example makes sense.)

Depends, who needs a Caps Lock :)

Erwin