From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 12:17:50 -0400

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Adam Kopacz <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>  Eric Brandwine wrote:
>>  > Something like this is better done with cron.  Schedule the job when you
>>  > log in, unschedule it when you log out.
>>  why ?
>>  > Then you do not have a sleeping shell script in the process table.
>>  root       214  0.0  0.4   0   804   276   216   1 S      0:00 sleep 300
>>
>>  0.4% of 64 MB is ok... :)

 Adam, the problem is not memory consumption, but the number of available
process table entries. Believe it or not, some of the "high-end" workstation
Unices have a more limited process table size than your Linux system (and may
be sharing it with multiple users, too). So Eric's advice is sound for the
general case, though there's no perceptible difference on your system.

 Cheers,
 Bob
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].