Subject: FVWM: problem making fvwm2

From: Steve Kettle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 16:36:49 -0400

I'm trying to make fvwm2 and having some configuration problems:

I'm trying to compile for solaris and I don't have the file xpm.h in any
of the standard include paths that the makefiles look in.  ( I'm not sure
it these files come with a standard openwindos installation??? )

eg it is not in:

/usr/openwin/include/X11
/usr/X11/include
...

I do have it in another directory but I can't copy it into any of the
standard directories because I do not have permission. 

The same goes when linking - I don't have the xpm.a library in any of the
standard places but do have it in another directory. 

Is there anyway to change Fvwm.tmpl so that when the Makefiles are made
they tell the compiler to look for these files in directories other then
the standard ones or some way to tell xmkmf to do this. 

Thanks Steve.

--
Steve Kettle                             
email: [email-masked]
phone: (416) 703 0898 ext 537
fax  : (416) 703 0767	

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Eric Brandwine <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 16:44:31 -0400 (EDT)

Messing with xmkmf is not for the faint of heart.  I convinced Motif 2.0
to compile on Linux once, and that cured me forever.

Pretend that xpm is in /home/user/xpm/[lib|include] for arguments sake.

You can add -I/home/user/xpm/include to the INCLUDES directive, and add
-L/home/user/xpm/lib to the LIBS directive in the Makefile.  This is evil.

Or you can change the XPM_INCLUDES and XPM_LIBRARIES in Fvwm.tmpl and
MakeMakefiles or xmkmf -a.  This is nicer.

It was:
#if HasXpm
    XPM_DEFINES = -DXPM
   XPM_INCLUDES = XpmIncs
  XPM_LIBRARIES = XpmLibs -lXpm
#endif

it should be:
#if HasXpm
    XPM_DEFINES = -DXPM
   XPM_INCLUDES = -I/<some dir>/include
  XPM_LIBRARIES = -L/<some dir>/lib -lXpm
#endif

Have Fun!

ericb