Subject: FVWM: Window transfer between display.

From: [email-masked] (Massimo Falco)
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 09:37:14 -0700

Hi everybody,

I' m asking a help cos I have a little problem to solve.

I' m currently working with a workstation SGI indigo 2 running Irix 5.3
using the fvwm. I have two monitors connected.

I just want to be able to tranfer a window on my machine from the display
falco:0.0 to falco:0.1.

Does anybody now how to do it ?

Thanks.

Massimo.

-- 

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/ Massimo Falco                _/ Tools Development and            _/ 
_/                              _/ System Verification Engineer     _/
_/ SILICON GRAPHICS, Inc.       _/                                  _/ 
_/ MIPS Technologies            _/ Phone  : (415) 933-7966          _/
_/ Mailstop 40L-175, Bldg. 40   _/ Fax    : (415) 932-0269          _/
_/ 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway    _/ Pager  : (888) 983-1002          _/
_/ Mountain View, CA 94043-1389 _/ E-Mail : [email-masked]      _/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Eric Brandwine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 13:28:13 -0400 (EDT)

> using the fvwm. I have two monitors connected.
I did not think that you could double head an SGI.  Oh well.

> I just want to be able to tranfer a window on my machine from the display
You cannot.  There is no general way to move windows from one display to
another.  This is almost equivalent to moving a window from host1:0 to
host2:0, it can't be done.  (I wish that it could, my Ultra has 2 heads.)

You would have to change the Display pointer in the X program, reconnect
to the display, re-load all the fonts, possibly change visuals and depths,
and so forth.

It is possible to write a client that can do this, e.g. xemacs.  The
make-frame-other-display function can do this.  I have also seen patches
for Xnest that allow Xnest to connect to 2 displays, giving you 1 large
virtual desktop across 2 monitors.  There is a huge speed and memory
penalty, and I don't even remember where the patches are.

If it were to be done, it would have to be done on the server level, not
the window manager level.

ericb

---

From: Elad Eyal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 21:03:49 +0300 (IDT)

Good morning,

> host2:0, it can't be done.  (I wish that it could, my Ultra has 2 heads.)

The comp.windows.x FAQ tells about "xmove", which is "a pseudoserver (aka
proxy server) which allows you to dynamically move an X application
between servers, and screens within a server." The v2 beta seems to date
to Augost. ftp site: ftp.cs.columbia.edu:/pub/xmove. I have of course no
idea about performance.

http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/x-faq/part6/faq-doc-4.html
is the faq answer with several other programs.

 _
(_  /  _    /          ( E-mail pigeons nest in binary trees )
(__/__(/\_(/