Subject: Re: FVWM: Can I have my long icon labels all on screen?

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 09:16:02 -0400

Elmar Kurgpold <[email-masked]> writes:
> When a window is iconified, it has a nice short icon label (ex.
> "Netscape").  When the icon has the focus, the full label shows up (ex.
> "Netscape: The Title of the Page I am Looking At").  The problem is the
> icon label is centered on the icon, and sometimes part of the label
> goes off screen if the icon is near the edge.  Is it possible to force
> the entire title to show up on screen, a la CDE?

Apply this patch in the fvwm directory:

*** icons.c.orig	Fri Aug  8 09:07:55 1997
--- icons.c	Fri Aug  8 09:12:11 1997
***************
*** 228,233 ****
--- 228,245 ----
              Tmp_win->icon_w_width = Tmp_win->icon_p_width;
            Tmp_win->icon_xl_loc = Tmp_win->icon_x_loc - 
              (Tmp_win->icon_w_width - Tmp_win->icon_p_width)/2;
+           /* start keep label on screen. dje 8/7/97 */
+           if (Tmp_win->icon_xl_loc < 0) {   /* if new loc neg (off left edge) */
+             Tmp_win->icon_xl_loc = 0;       /* move to edge */
+           } else {                          /* if not on left edge */
+             /* if (new loc + width) > screen width (off edge on right) */
+             if ((Tmp_win->icon_xl_loc + Tmp_win->icon_w_width) >
+                 Scr.MyDisplayWidth) {             /* off right */
+               /* position up against right edge */
+               Tmp_win->icon_xl_loc = Scr.MyDisplayWidth - Tmp_win->icon_w_width;
+             }
+             /* end keep label on screen. dje 8/7/97 */
+           }
          }
      }
    else

> 	++Elmar
> --

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Elmar Kurgpold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 11:38:44 -0700 (PDT)

This works nicely, thanks a lot.  This would be good to include in the
next release.

	++Elmar

---

From: David Wren-Hardin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 11:47:37 -0700 (PDT)

I'm using fvwm2.0.45, and having trouble getting rxvt to work with
FVWMbuttons. Basically, I can't get an rxvt window to launch from
the button. The button command is:

*FvwmButtons Local  una.xpm   Exec "rxvt" rxvt -fn fixed &

Typing just the rxvt -fn fixed & part on the command line works.

Any ideas what could be going on? 

David Wren-Hardin 		| Thousands of years ago the Egyptians
[email-masked]	| worshipped cats as gods. Cats have
http://weber.u.washington.edu	| never forgotten this.
      /~dwrenhar/

---

From: Trent Piepho <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 11:53:21 -0700 (PDT)

> Any ideas what could be going on? 

maybe rxvt isn't in the path of fvwm?  If you start fvwm from xdm as
apposed to startx, you won't get always get the same PATH as a login
shell would.  Try putting in the full pathname.

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun.   |
|Trent Piepho ([email-masked])                   -- Metallica  |

---

From: David Wren-Hardin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 12:03:41 -0700 (PDT)

> shell would.  Try putting in the full pathname.

Doh! That's it. What a stupid mistake on my part, that's always one of the
first things I check when having a problem, and for some reason it slipped
my mind this time.

Excuse me while I slap myself around a bit.

---

From: Adam Kopacz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 22:20:12 +0200

David Wren-Hardin wrote:
hi,

> Typing just the rxvt -fn fixed & part on the command line works.
whyt fvwm say to you when you click the button (tail -f
/var/log/messages) ??
and try:
Exec exec rxvt &
     ^^^^

i don't know why but i have sometimes problems in FvwmButtons when i
don't use the second exec.. i have this with gimp (Exex gimp & =
fvwmButtons crash) ans xterm + rxvt..

when this not work then try to use the full path (type rxvt)..
this works for me with THE GIMP..

-- 

Bye,                        klospatz's Linux-Place (Babes/Files)
    Adam Kopacz (klospatz)       http://www.rat.de/Adam