Subject: FVWM: Fvwm borders vs AfterStep borders

From: "Patrick K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 16:51:05 -0400 (EDT)

Hi people,

  This is my first post to this list.  I have been reading the list
  and looking in the archives hoping someone would've mentioned my
  question but I have had no luck with finding any discussion on the
  subject.

  I used to use AfterStep till I noticed its unstability (compared
  to fvwm 1.xx).  But during my use of AfterStep I got very used to
  how each window is represented to the user, meaning each window
  has a titlebar, and a bottom border with no side borders.  I like
  this simple look.

  I wonder if fvwm 1.xx or 2.xx are able to emulate this look?  If
  so, can anyone let me know how I can achieve this look and feel?
  If not, how hard would it be to implement this feature to allow
  users to define in .fvwm2rc how they would like their borders to
  be in the next fvwm 2.xx releases?

  Thanks!

Patrick Keshishian ...
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 15 Aug 1997 17:12:31 -0400

%% "Patrick K." <[email-masked]> writes:

  pk>   I used to use AfterStep till I noticed its unstability (compared
  pk>   to fvwm 1.xx).  But during my use of AfterStep I got very used to
  pk>   how each window is represented to the user, meaning each window
  pk>   has a titlebar, and a bottom border with no side borders.  I like
  pk>   this simple look.

  pk>   I wonder if fvwm 1.xx or 2.xx are able to emulate this look?  If
  pk>   so, can anyone let me know how I can achieve this look and feel?

Of course.

Look in the man page for things like NoHandles, etc.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     These are my opinions--Bay Networks takes no responsibility for them.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 97 17:26:36 -0400

> Look in the man page for things like NoHandles, etc.

Yeah, it tells you it won't do what the guy was asking about... :)

NoHandles takes ALL of them off in every version I'm aware of.  I just
looked and tried some variations on my system at work.  AfterStep has a title 
bar and a handle
on the bottom of the window.

It shouldn't be a terribly difficult hack to make the code work this
way.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 15 Aug 1997 18:09:43 -0400

%% [email-masked] writes:

  s> NoHandles takes ALL of them off in every version I'm aware of.  I
  s> just looked and tried some variations on my system at work.
  s> AfterStep has a title bar and a handle on the bottom of the window.

Ah.  I didn't notice the comment about the bottom border.