Subject: FVWM: reducing pixmap colour tables

From: Martin Cartwright <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 14:51:21 +0100 (BST)

I seem to remember from a while back a discussion about a program
which reduces a bunch of pixmaps to a common colourmap. I hunted
around in the archives and couldn't find what I was looking for.

My problem is that I have designed a new set of icons which started
off all using the same 32 colours. However, I designed them using a
package on my Windows PC at home as the graphics stuff here at work is
not good for this kind of stuff. This meant I had to save them as GIFs
and then convert them to XPMs. I also reduced the number of colours
for each pixmap to 8, however the total number of unique colours for
the whole set has jumped to about 150 (!) . What I want to do is force
them all back to having the same 8 colours between them.. 

Does anybody know a package that'll do this?

By the way, if you want a quick look at the icons there's a GIF of the
whole lot somewhere on one of my web pages..

Cheers,

Martin. 

[email-masked] --- http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~imc/vom.htm
-/-------------------------------------------------------------\-
|     	    "Alright! Let battle commence! Wine and ... 	|
|	     bananas! Bring on the dancing girls!"      	|
-\-------------------------------------------------------------/-

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 13:53:29 -0400

> Does anybody know a package that'll do this?

There has been lots of discussion about this.

In 2.0.47  we   plan to introduce  the   "colorlimiting patch"  that I
submitted.   This  patch does not   require the xpm's  to  be changed,
instead, the patch limits the xpm colors as they are read in.

If you can't wait, and can't  find my previous  submission, I could be
persuaded to mail you a copy.

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Trent Piepho <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 10:59:59 -0700 (PDT)

> > Does anybody know a package that'll do this?

There is something in netpbm that will do this.  Basically what it does is
stick all your icons into one big picture, reduce that to however many colors,
and then cut them apart again.

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun.   |
|Trent Piepho ([email-masked])                   -- Metallica  |
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].