Subject: FVWM: animated "windowshade"

From: fractture <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 04:25:00 -0700

I experimented with WindowMaker before I found FVWM2 and liked the
windowshade thing.
I found out how to do *almost* the same thing, but it doesn't exactly
windowshade, it just goes away and leaves the titlebar.
Not that it is important or anything, but I kind of liked how it looked
like an actual windowshade.
How do I make it do that in FVWM2?
I got the animated patch (not sure if it actually "worked" or not) but
don't know how to use it.  I stole a setanimation line from another
.fvwm2rc file, but don't see that it changed ANYTHING.
Who knows where to get info on this,...or do what I want?
I think I would "rather" getting the info and learning how, but if all
you got is a quick fix I'll take it.

Anyway, thanks.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 13:45:16 -0400 (EDT)

> How do I make it do that in FVWM2?

Well, the only reason you see a difference is because the bottom edge is
not getting a border drawn around it. It's as if some psycho chef has
taken a butcher knife and just chopped off everything off of the title
bar :) I'm not a programmer, but I doubt it'd be very difficult to add
some code to the window shade function so that it gets a border on the
bottom. Actually, I think this should be worked into the main
distribution.
			-peace

--- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK ------------+-----------
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) | "In the morning glad I see
P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K? w++++  |  My foe outstrech'd beneath the tree."
O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5   |               -The Poison Tree
X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>*  h*(!) r-  |                William Blake
y*(+) ------ END GEEK CODE BLOCK -----+

---

From: Eric Brandwine <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 15:02:33 -0400 (EDT)

I have a patch that does exactly that.  All my windows are missing the top
border, and the title bar extends to the outer edges of the side borders.
When you window shade, there are no borders left.

Also, when you maximize, all the borders are missing.  Just the title bar
is left.

At the moment, shaped windows have a bit of a problem.  As soon as I fix
that, and add config options so that the behavior is not hardcoded, I will
release the patch.

ericb

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 15:59:26 -0400

In message <[email-masked]>, Kend

> bottom. Actually, I think this should be worked into the main

The idea is to have window shade roll up like a real window
shade... i.e. you can see it do so.  In fvwm2 it is instantaneous.

I kind of like some simple animations myself during window operations.
Good thing to use multithreading for I suppose.

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 16:42:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 24 Aug 1997 [email-masked] wrote:

> Kendrick Vargas writes:

I know :) However, in order to get the nice look that the gentleman
described, the border has to be maintained on the bottom edge (which it
currently isn't). 
			-peace

---

From: Tobias Oetiker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 22:46:22 +0200 (MET DST)

> bottom. Actually, I think this should be worked into the main

mine looks ok when I use fvwm look instead of mwm
--
 ______    __   _
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, Timelord & SysMgr @ EE-Dept ETH-Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / TEL:+41(0)1-6325286  FAX:+41(0)1-6321194
/_/ \___/_.__/_/ [email-masked] http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 23:02:37 +0200

On Aug 24, 1997 - Kendrick Vargas spammed my mailbox.
Those 1464 random chars looked somewhat like this..

> On Sun, 24 Aug 1997 [email-masked] wrote:
[snip]
> described, the border has to be maintained on the bottom edge (which it

Option, ofcourse. If the bottom-border remains, it looks fine on
mwm-styles, but bad on others (which is not all flat squares etc)
If removed, looks bad on mwm, good on others.

If you look at my setup (url below, click on 'Datorer'), keeping the
bottom-border would look awful.

/Tomas
-- 
,oOo--------------------------------------------  - -
| Tomas Ögren, [email-masked], http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
o-------------------------------------------- -  - -
| o Student of Computer Engineering at the University of Umeå
| o Sysadmin at ing.umu.se
`o------------------------------- - -  -
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Fractture <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 21:10:34 -0700

I think you may have gotten the wrong idea of what I wanted.
In WM it doesn't have a border on the bottom either, but it "slides" up
like you are watching a windowshade go up.
It goes way faster in FVWM, but I think I am seeing it dissapear from
top to bottom.
It isn't any big deal, I was just wondering if there was a way to fix it
so that it looks more like a windowshade going up.

---

From: Fractture <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 21:28:40 -0700

YEP,...this is what I meant.

[email-masked] wrote:

> In message
> <[email-masked]>, Kend
> rick Vargas writes:
>

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 20:35:57 -0400 (EDT)

> so that it looks more like a windowshade going up.

ahhh... sorry, my bad, guess you were right :)

However, I think (as some others have suggested to me) that a user option
to have borders on the bottom *after* window-shading would be nice for
those of us who don't have a beveled looking title bar :)
			-peace