Subject: FVWM: Another question about starting Aps

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Riehm)
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 10:46:17 +0200 (MEZ)

Hi all,

Firstly, I don't use / like desktops, because you can't jump between
them with the mouse AND the keyboard - thus I only have one desk with
6 screens. When I start Netscape, I normally find an empty screen,
start netscape, and then have to wait the 5 hours that it takes
netscape to get going. What would be really neat is to have fvwm
remember that I started netscape (or any other ap for that matter) on
the screen I was in when I selected the menu item (effectively running
a function), and then automagically made sure that the ap actually
appears in that screen, regardless of which screen I am currently in.
The ap would still think it's running on the normal screen, but it
would actually just appear in the background, as it were. (I can still
see it in the Pager for example).

Is this possible?
Any ideas?

THanks in advance,

Steve
_______________________________ ._ o  ________________________________
//   Stephen Riehm             /  //\.        [email-masked]
\\\\ pc-plus                  '  \>> |         Phone: +49 89 45566 148
//// 81675 Munich, Germany        \\ `           Fax: +49 89 45566 113
  \\
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 01:42:22 +0000

> see it in the Pager for example).

I think you should be able to specify which desktop program loads on,
maybe going left to right then down, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. So perhaps:

Style "Netscape"    Desk 0, Screen 4, Focus 0 (so it doesn't steal the
focus.

Or something to that effect would put it on the 5th screen, letting you
do other tasks while letting Netscape load. This might be easier than
having FVWM remember all the windows. That could get annoying anyhow.

-Joe

---

From: "Andy J. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 11:14:59 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Stephen Riehm wrote:

> a function),

I agree it is annoying the first time you start Netscape, but I actually
take advantage of this slowness when I start an additional Netscape
window, because I have time to switch to a different page before it
appears.

If your suggestion were in force, any additional Netscape windows would
always appear on the same screen as the first.

What I'd like more is a way to specify what page to start an app on, not
just which desk.

Andy 

You can't have everything...where would you put it?
(Steven Wright)

---

From: Broc Stirton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 16:13:01 -0500

Steve-
This may not work perfectly, but what I do is use the geometry option on
the command line or in the fvwm config (menu, buttons, whatever).  E.g.
'rxvt -geometry XxY+1032+7' gives me an rxvt on my second Screen (my
resolution is 1024x768).  This should have a similar (identical?) effect
to a "StartsOnScreen" option.  Remember, with a virtual screen, it is
just treated as a huge screen (2048x1536 in my case: 2x2) of which you
see only part at a time.  
-- 
						--------------------
						    Broc Stirton
						  [email-masked] 
						--------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 16:39:36 +0200

On Aug 27, 1997 - Broc Stirton spammed my mailbox.
Those 803 random chars looked somewhat like this..

> just treated as a huge screen (2048x1536 in my case: 2x2) of which you
Not really..
If you have 2x2, and you are on the first (top,left) screen and start with
+1032+7, it will come to screen 2 (top,right). This is fine.
If you are on screen 2, and start with +1032+7, it'll end up right
_outside_ screen 2. The +X+Y is _relative_ from where you are now, not
from the top right corner.. (Haven't looked to deeply in the fvwm2 code,
is it X or fvwm[2] behaviour?)

/Tomas
-- 
,oOo--------------------------------------------  - -
| Tomas Ögren, [email-masked], http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
o-------------------------------------------- -  - -
| o Student of Computer Engineering at the University of Umeå
| o Sysadmin at ing.umu.se
`o------------------------------- - -  -
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Eric Brandwine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 10:53:55 -0400 (EDT)

> is it X or fvwm[2] behaviour?)
It is neccesarily fvwm2 behavior.  X knows nothing about Fvwm's multiple
desks/virtual screens.

ericb

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 11:30:42 -0400

> It is neccesarily fvwm2 behavior.  X knows nothing about Fvwm's multiple

Looks to me like the code being discussed is in fvwm/placement.c.

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].