Subject: FVWM: Re: Pie menus (fwd)

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 01:15:52 -0400 (EDT)

Elad Eyal wrote:

>> EE>> Not me, but perhaps you could send me a screen capture of Pie menus?
>> EE>> I keep READING and HEARING about it, but never SEE it...
>> DL> I haven't seen them either, though I'd like to. 
>> ...Does _somebody_ have some screenshots to share?

        OK, I grabbed a quick screen capture of piewm with a pie menu up.
It's a bit large (194K, 1024x768 desktop) to post to the list, so I put it
up on my Web site temporarily. If you want to grab it, just fetch

                http://www.pcnet.com/~proteus/Fvwm/Pie-desk1.jpg

        It's not much to look at. I've never bothered doing any serious
configuration of piewm, as I don't really use it: I just bring it up 
occasionally for the novelty. Anyway, there's a pie menu in the upper
right hand corner, just below the icon manager box that's still labelled
"TWM" (I *told* you I didn't do any configuration.)

        Now, lest you set yourself up for disappointment...the "pies" aren't
round. They're conventional rectangles, but they're subdivided as though
someone were cutting a pie: the menu selections fan out from the center,
each occupying a "slice" of this rectangular pie. ("Pie are square...??? 
Son, what the hell they been teachin' you at that fancy college?")

        Cheers,
        Bob
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Aug 1997 00:40:02 -0500

>>>>> "BW" == Bob Woodside <[email-masked]> writes:

BW> Now, lest you set yourself up for disappointment...the "pies" aren't
BW> round.

I am disappointed.  I suppose you could use a shaped window, to make it
sort of oval.

BTW, "Turbo-Studly"?

 - J<

---

From: Elad Eyal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 17:17:38 +0300 (IDT)

Good morning,

BW>     http://www.pcnet.com/~proteus/Fvwm/Pie-desk1.jpg
BW> Now, lest you set yourself up for disappointment...the "pies" aren't
BW> round. They're conventional rectangles, but they're subdivided as 

Yeah, you're right. It is disappointing. I had this vision of a mouseclick
building a small circular menu, which grows larger as you drag the mouse
away from the center.

So... who _is_ writing Fvwm3.14 ? :-)
 _
(_  /  _    /          ( E-mail pigeons nest in binary trees )
(__/__(/\_(/