Subject: FVWM: Key Binding

From: Charles Gagnon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 13:25:49 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,

I have a quick question on Key bindings. How can I add key binding to
special keys found on Sun's Type 5 keyboards. I'm running Solaris 2.5.1
on a SS5 and I would like to do something like:

 Key Props                      exec some command

I looked in the doc and on the web site but couldn't find anything on keys
other than direction and function keys.

thanks

-- 
Charles Gagnon                   | All opinions expressed herein are
Systems Admin, Pencom PSA        | fictitious. Any ressemblance with actual
[email-masked]          | opinions, living or dead is purely
at: Nynex Science and Technology | concidental.

   Click here if you're not using a mouse.
        -- from a Microsoft installation prompt
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Krischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 13:49:02 -0400

>  Key Props                      exec some command

the props key should be something like L3.  check the default .fvwm2rc.  i'm
pretty sure it has key bindings for the front and open keys which you'll see as
L5 and L7. 

--mark

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 13:52:02 -0400

> other than direction and function keys.

The Props key's default keysym is "F13".

My key binding:

Key F13   R A Beep

You can figure this out with "xev" but I recommend using "xkeycaps".
A search should turn it up.

> thanks

I hope you clicked firmly...

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Adam Kopacz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 20:03:55 +0200

Mark Krischer wrote:
hi,

> pretty sure it has key bindings for the front and open keys which you'll see as

and how can i use my WIN95 keys ? <g>

-- 

Bye,                        klospatz's Linux-Place (Babes/Files)
    Adam Kopacz (klospatz)       http://www.rat.de/Adam

---

From: Dan Astoorian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 15:32:12 -0400

>A search should turn it up.

Some further notes about Sun type 5 keyboards....

In addition, type 5 keyboards also have a few keys which, by default
under Solaris 2.4, don't have keysyms--in particular, the power
management keys in the top right hand corner.

These keys can also be assigned to actions in fvwm, but they must first
be mapped to keysyms with xmodmap.  For instance, I have a file named
".Xmodmap-sun" containing the lines
    keycode 52 = IA1
    keycode  9 = IA2
    keycode 11 = IA3
    keycode 55 = IA4
    keycode 22 = IA5

By running the command "xmodmap .Xmodmap-sun," the four power management
keys get named IA1 through IA4, and the unlabeled key between "Help" and
"F1" gets named IA5.

I then bind these to actions in my fvwm2 config file:

    DestroyFunc StartWorkman
    AddToFunc StartWorkman  "I" Next [workman] Exec workman -s play
    +                       "I" None [workman] Exec workman -iconic

    Key IA1         A       N       Exec workman -s pause
    Key IA1         A       S       Function StartWorkman
    Key IA2         A       N       Exec workman -s back
    Key IA3         A       N       Exec workman -s fwd
    Key IA4         A       N       Exec workman -s stop
    Key IA4         A       S       Exec workman -s eject

    Key IA5         A       N       WarpTo  FvwmPager 10 10 1

Note that xmodmap only needs to be used for keys which do not have a
keysym; xev will tell you whether a key is bound to a keysym, and gives
you the keycode you need to supply to xmodmap in order to assign one;
however, I believe the five keys above are the only unnamed ones under
Solaris 2.4.  If you don't like the names IA1-IA5, the file
<X11/keysymdef.h>, or /usr/lib/X11/XKeysymDB, lists the available keysym
names; pick any that aren't being used.  See the man page for xmodmap
for details.

Hope this helps,

--                          People shouldn't think that it's better to have
Dan Astoorian               loved and lost than never loved at all.  It's
http://www.utopia.csas.com  not, it's better to have loved and won.  All
[email-masked]       the other options really suck.    --Dan Redican

---

From: Andrew J Cosgriff <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 08:04:24 +1000

>>>>> "Adam" == Adam Kopacz <[email-masked]> writes:

Adam> Mark Krischer wrote:
Adam> hi,

>> pretty sure it has key bindings for the front and open keys which you'll see as

Adam> and how can i use my WIN95 keys ? <g>

Use xmodmap to give them a keysym, and go from there.

I used to use the "window" key for compose, and the "menu" one as a
sort of replacement for "Front", which I missed from when I used Suns :)

Andrew
-- 
 - Andrew J Cosgriff -                 R.I.P. William S. Burroughs, 1997-08-02
 [email-masked]
    "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, 
                     hysterical, naked" (Ginsberg, "Howl")
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Rob Windsor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 17:20:03 -0500

> A search should turn it up.

It depends on the OS and X server, actually.

Solaris 2.5 running OpenWin is L3, my .fvwmrc shows:

Key L3          A       N       Menu Window-Ops

SunOS 4.1.x running X11R6 (OpenWin 3.0 blowz) is "SunProps", my .fvwmrc shows:

Key SunProps    A       N       Menu Window-Ops

Since I dual-boot into either OS, I just specify definitions for both and
let it go.

Here's the total of my key configuration for Solaris 2.5.1:

# OpenWin (Solaris 2) keybindings
Key L1          A       N       Exec  exec xlock &
Key L2          A       N       WindowList
Key L3          A       N       Menu Window-Ops
Key L5          WI      N       RaiseLower
Key L6          WI      N       Move-or-Raise
Key L7          WI      N       Iconify-Func
Key L8          W       N       Resize-or-Raise
Key L9          A       N       Menu Utilities

If you want to experiment, use xev (as was mentioned here many times).

-- Rob
----------------------------------------
Internet: [email-masked]
Life: [email-masked]

The weather is here, wish you were beautiful.

---

From: Broc Stirton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 18:39:53 -0500

> sort of replacement for "Front", which I missed from when I used Suns :)

I haven't used Suns before.  What does the "Front" key do?
	Broc

-- 
						--------------------
						    Broc Stirton
						  [email-masked] 
						--------------------

---

From: Andrew J Cosgriff <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 13:25:19 +1000

>>>>> "Broc" == Broc Stirton <[email-masked]> writes:

ajc> Use xmodmap to give them a keysym, and go from there.
ajc> 
ajc> I used to use the "window" key for compose, and the "menu" one as a
ajc> sort of replacement for "Front", which I missed from when I used Suns :)

Broc> I haven't used Suns before.  What does the "Front" key do?

olwm / olvwm would use it to do the equivalent (in FVWM) of a Raise
(or maybe a RaiseLower)

There's also an "Open" key which would (de/)iconify a window.  Both
quite useful.

Andrew
    "We need something to kill the pain of all that nothing inside" (KMFDM)

---

From: "Erwin J. van Eijk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 08:31:51 +0200

>other than direction and function keys.

you can use xev to watch which keyname gets sent to it. Probably the
key is not called props, even though it is labelled that way. BTW FYI
all keynames used can be found in /usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h

Good luck,
EJ
--
+--------------------+
| Erwin J.  van Eijk | Functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism
| [email-masked]       | We are the vandals
+--------------------+          - Type O Negative
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bruce Stephens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 10:20:26 +0100

> and how can i use my WIN95 keys ? <g> 

Again, use xev to find what number the keys are, and xmodmap to give them some 
meaning.  For example, if shift, control, meta and alt aren't enough, you 
could create hyper or super modifier keys.  Depending on what keyboard you've 
got, you may find xkeycaps will help you bind the keys (it doesn't have 
*every* keyboard, however).