Subject: FVWM: fvwm 2.0.46 ready at last...

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 10:49:59 -0400

Howdy all.

Just a quick note to let you know that the next beta, 2.0.46, is
finially available.  I've just uploaded it to ftp.hpc.uh.edu:

-rw-rw-r--   1 chines   fvwm      309199 Aug 20 09:33 fvwm-2.0.45-to-2.0.46.patch.gz
-rw-rw-r--   1 chines   fvwm      806706 Aug 20 09:33 fvwm-2.0.46.tar.gz

The patch is untested, but should work ok, I think.

It (like usual) doesn't have all of stuff in there that I really
wanted to get in there, but it was taking way too long to get out.

So if your favorite patch isn't in there, it may still appear in the
not too distant future.  Namely, I expect a lot of gripes about the
absence of the animated menu patch and the colorlimit patch - some
variation of both of these will most likely appear in 2.0.47.

Here's the ChangeLog entry:

======================================================================
2.0.46
       1. Patch to remove forgotten CLICKTORAISE #if check, from
          Markus Gutschke
       2. More mini xpm files
       3. Fix to XTerm font change problem
       4. There is no 4...
       5. Updated extras/FvwmScript from Frederic Cordier
       6. Changing default XORValue to 0, which now means "try and
          guess what a good XORValue is for my display" (using recommended
          method in the XLib Programming Manual)
       7. Updated FvwmM4 & Cpp man pages to show correct invocation...
       8. Updated extras/fvwmperl from Dan Astoorian
       9. FAQ updates
       10. Imakefile fixes
       11. Added info to FvwmIdent (transient)
       12. Brought back 1.xx like CursorStyle command (based on old
           patch from Kit Smithers)
       13. Patch from Patrice Fortier to allow xpm backgrounds in
           FvwmButtons (noticed some problems with this)
       14. Updated FvwmCommand from Toshi Isogai
       15. Builtin WinList fixes (geometry string makes more sense now,
           plus alphabetic sort option from Eric Schott)
       16. Fix from Andrew for NoButton 0 problem
       17. GetDecor SCO CPP patch from Andrew
       18. Patch from Andrew for MWM buttons functions problems
       19. Fix from Dave Goldberg for NoTitle & MiniIcon conflict
       20. Move/Resize frame drawing bug patch from Makoto Matsushita
       21. Patch to FlipFocus (under MouseFocus) from Markus Gutschke
       22. Added patch from Rob Whapham/Thimo Jansen for FvwmPager
           miniicons (plus small enhancements)
       23. FvwmBacker patch from Tim Phipps to have it run fvwm
           commands instead of unix commands, so borders & the like
           can be changed too (just use Exec to get old functionality)
       24. Latest FvwmIconMan (v1.0) from Brady Montz
       25. Fix for static buffer overflow in SendDataToModule in read.c
           (when IconPath/PixmapPath greater than 255 chars)
       26. Patch from Tim Phipps to add Current op (like Prev & Next,
           but operates only on Current window) and enhanced conditionals
           for Prev/Next/Current/None (like the addition of !<name>)
       27. Added FvwmWharf to extras dir (ported from AfterStep by who??)
       28. Added FvwmTaskBar to extras dir (ported from fvwm95 by Don Mahurin)
       29. Added FvwmWinList miniicons patch from Don Mahurin.  Still
           need to update docs for it...
       30. Patches from Randy Ray to make windowshade module packets
           more "standard" & add filename to MINI_ICON packet
       31. Patch from Barry Warsaw to make multi head code work
           slightly better (although it probably needs a total rewrite
           to really work well - ctwm good model?)
       32. Patch to echo builtin needs to remove final \n if there is
           one (Greg Badros sees this, but I don't so it might be a system
           dependent bug)
       33. Patch from Dan Espen for keeping long icon names on screen
       34. Made builtin function searching faster (hopefully) using
           simple binary search (mostly to help speed up startup
           time).  Please let me know how this works since my
           relatively simple setup isn't a good test case for this...
       35. Removed 'raise_it' entirely, since no longer used
       36. Made window move paging match Edgescroll values instead of
           always doing full screens (should this be an option?)
       37. Focus command no longer raises - use an interpreted
           focus-and-raise function if that's desired
       38. Minor menu code bug fixed - wasn't always ungrabbing the
           cursor before executing function (timing dependent - most
           of the time ok)
       39. Fixes for DEC Alpha compile warnings
       40. Fix for IconBox -0 handling, from Ric Lister
======================================================================

My thanks again to the folks on the workers list for helping flush out
last minute bugs, and to everyone for patches, suggestions, and your
(continued) patience with my not too timely releases...

Enjoy,
Chuck

--
*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis Developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

         "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're just havin' a nightmare
             -- of course, we ARE still in Hell." (Gary Larson)
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 10:59:36 -0400 (EDT)

Bonjour,

À cause du grand nombre de messages indésirables qui se rendent à ma boîte aux
lettres, je filtre maintenant mes messages. Le vôtre n'a pas été accepté par
mes filtres. Si c'est important, veuillez le renvoyer avec le mot NOTSPAM dans
la ligne du sujet.

Merci et désolé pour les inconvénients,

Laurent Duperval

----------

Good day,

Due to the increasing number of junk mail I receive every day, I must now take
steps filter my incoming mail. Your message was not accepted by my filters. If
you really need to reach me, please resend the message with the word NOTSPAM
in the Subject line.

Thank you and I apologize for the inconvenience,

Laurent Duperval

---

From: Christopher Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 13:12:37 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Charles Hines wrote:

#> Just a quick note to let you know that the next beta, 2.0.46, is
#> finially available.  I've just uploaded it to ftp.hpc.uh.edu:

Wonderful!  Thanks for all the hard work on it.

I'm sorry I have to start complaining now.
 
#> So if your favorite patch isn't in there, it may still appear in the
#> not too distant future.  Namely, I expect a lot of gripes about the
#> absence of the animated menu patch 

No comment.

#> ======================================================================
#> 2.0.46

There has been a big change in the menu popup code.  The only annoying
problem I have with it is keyboard control of menus.  In v.45, when a
menu was popped up with the keyboard, you could go to a submenu by
pressing right, but now it seems you need to emulate moving the mouse
and have to press right several times to move the mouse a little by a
little until you are far enough to the right to activate the menu.

This is much slower and seems like needless typing.  What was the
reason for modifying the menu action like this?  Are we assuming
people will be using letter shortcuts instead of pressing right/left?
I would need to add these to all the menus now...is it possible to get
a way to emulate the old method?

-W

---

From: Gary Sargent <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 09:27:27 +0100

> -rw-rw-r--   1 chines   fvwm      806706 Aug 20 09:33 fvwm-2.0.46.tar.gz

I have downloaded fvwm-2.0.46.tar.gz twice (to ensure I didn't have any
transmission errors), and every time I try to extract it I get the
following
error:

hfmngxs@sed_sparc8$ tar -xf fvwm-2.0.46.tar
tar: read error: unexpected EOF

I have the following setup:

hfmngxs@sed_sparc8$ bash -version
GNU bash, version 2.00.0(10)-release (sparc-sun-sunos4.1.3)
Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

hfmngxs@sed_sparc8$ gzip -V
gzip 1.2.3 (24 Jun 93)
Compilation options:
DIRENT UTIME HAVE_UNISTD_H 

hfmngxs@sed_sparc8$ uname -a
SunOS sed_sparc 4.1.4 1 sun4m

I have not had any problems with V2.0.45 - what's happened? Has some
souped up version of 'tar' been used? I can't get any version info
from 'tar', all I get is:

hfmngxs@sed_sparc8$ tar -v
tar: usage: tar -{ctxru}[vfblmhopwBiX] [tapefile] [blocksize] file1
file2...

Hope someone can help me!!

Cheers,

Gary.

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Aug 1997 13:00:58 -0500

>>>>> "GS" == Gary Sargent <[email-masked]> writes:

GS> I have downloaded fvwm-2.0.46.tar.gz twice (to ensure I didn't have any
GS> transmission errors), and every time I try to extract it I get the
GS> following error:

GS> hfmngxs@sed_sparc8$ tar -xf fvwm-2.0.46.tar tar: read error: unexpected
GS> EOF

I just copied it straight from the FTP area and extracted it with both GNU
tar and the version Sun ships without problems.  There have been several
hundreds of downloads of 2.0.46 and I haven't seen any complaints.

 - J<

---

From: Mark Borges <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Aug 1997 11:49:04 -0600

>> On 21 Aug 1997 13:00:58 -0500,
>> Jason L Tibbitts(JLT) wrote:

JLT> I just copied it straight from the FTP area and extracted it with both GNU
JLT> tar and the version Sun ships without problems.  There have been several
JLT> hundreds of downloads of 2.0.46 and I haven't seen any complaints.

FWIW, there is an error in the tar file, but most tar's can deal with
it:

  $ gzip -dc ~/.public/fvwm/fvwm-2.0.46.tar.gz | star -x
  star: Incorrect EOF, second EOF block is missing.
  star: 372 blocks + 0 bytes (total of 3809280 bytes = 3720.00k).
  $ mv fvwm-2.0.46 fvwm-2.0.46.star
  $ gzip -dc ~/.public/fvwm/fvwm-2.0.46.tar.gz | /usr/bin/tar -xf -    
  $ mv fvwm-2.0.46 fvwm-2.0.46.sun
  $ gzip -dc ~/.public/fvwm/fvwm-2.0.46.tar.gz | /usr/local/bin/tar -xf - 
  $ diff -rc fvwm-2.0.46.star fvwm-2.0.46.sun 
  $ diff -rc fvwm-2.0.46.star fvwm-2.0.46    
  $ diff -rc fvwm-2.0.46 fvwm-2.0.46.sun 

(i.e., the files are extracted as GNU tar and sun-solaris-2.5 extracts
them, but they don't issue any warnings).

star is a 100% POSIX compliant version of tar.

-- 
  -mb-

---

From: Ric Steinberger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 07:46:44 -0700

Chuck,

	regarding FVWM 2.x:  Do sticky icons have a different color than
non-sticky icons yet?  This is one of my favorite .1x features.  Do icons
auto-place themselves on the background yet, so they are automatically
visible (if possible) in a corner that can be user-specified?  I'm
(sadly) still running fvwm 1.x, awaiting these changes in 2.x.

regards,

Ric Steinberger                 Email: [email-masked]
SRI Consulting                  Phone: 650.859.4300
333 Ravenswood Ave  AH301       Pager: 650.907.4598
Menlo Park CA 94025             FAX:   650.859.2986