Subject: Re: FVWM: Better interaction between Netscape and Fvwm with SloppyFocus

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 13:28:28 -0400

> Sender: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 13:04:54 -0400
> From: Mark Krischer <[email-masked]>
> References: <[email-masked]>
> 
> [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> > Warping the mouse is not so nice.  I would prefer the behavior used by
> >
> > ghostview where the pupup window is put under the mouse's current
> > postion.
> 
> actually, i don't know why the mouse needs to move at all. in xemacs if
> i move to a different frame, focus moves with me and the mouse stays
> where it is....

It sounds like we are agreeing that the mouse should stay put.

I suggested poping up the window under the current mouse position.
You seem to be suggesting poping the window anywhere and giving focus
to it dispite the mouse not being in the poped up window.  I would
have no objection to either scheme, but do not like having the system
move the mouse.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jim Nicholson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 14:38:16 -0400

> have no objection to either scheme, but do not like having the system

What I'd like to see is

1) "child" windows such as file dialogs and popups (sometimes called
   "application modal" windows) "always on top", of
   their parent but not necessarily of any other app's windows.

2) Limit the placement of said popups to screen space occupied by
   their parent window, or at least put the upper left corner inside
   the parent.

3) A "dynamic focus for popups" option, where popup windows always got
   the focus regardless of the focus policy, but only when they first
   appear. 

4) Don't warp the mouse, that's evil. Not even microsoft does it. ;)

Some of this can probably be done currently. Some of it is probably
impossible or impractical. And all of it is problematic, given
applications such as netscape where things seem at first glance to be
modal dialogs but really arn't (ie., save-to-disk status windows,
host/proxy unreachable at startup error windows, etc.)

Perhaps, while I'm daydreaming, we need a "-DMAKE_NETSCAPE_BEHAVE"
option? ;)

- Jim

---

From: Jim Searle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 12:25:09 -0700 (PDT)

>>>>> "Jim" == Jim Nicholson <[email-masked]> writes:

    Jim> What I'd like to see is

    Jim> 1) "child" windows such as file dialogs and popups (sometimes called
    Jim>    "application modal" windows) "always on top", of
    Jim>    their parent but not necessarily of any other app's windows.

    Jim> 2) Limit the placement of said popups to screen space occupied by
    Jim>    their parent window, or at least put the upper left corner inside
    Jim>    the parent.

    Jim> 3) A "dynamic focus for popups" option, where popup windows always got
    Jim>    the focus regardless of the focus policy, but only when they first
    Jim>    appear. 

    Jim> 4) Don't warp the mouse, that's evil. Not even microsoft does it. ;)

One More?

5) When the "child" window closes, focus is given back to the previous
   window that had the focus.  Which is not necessarily the parent.

jim

-- 
| Jim Searle, Design Engineer,   E-mail: [email-masked]     |
| Broadcom Corporation           Phone:  714-450-8700    __ O  |
| 16251 Laguna Canyon Road    Irvine, CA   92718       _ \ <_  |
| ____________________________________________________( )/ ( )_|
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].