Subject: FVWM: Desk and FvwmPager

From: Rob Lowrie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 11:05:20 -0600 (MDT)

I'm using fvwm 2.0.45, and start FvwmPager with arguments "0 3".  If I
issue "Desk 1" while on Desk 3, or "Desk -1" while on Desk 0, fvwm moves
me onto a desk that is not in "view" of FvwmPager.  I'd prefer this to be
some sort of error, and ideally have fvwm beep and keep me on the current
Desk.  Is there any way to do this?  The quickest fix I can think of is to
hack FvwmPager to have its own Desk function, but this isn't very elegant. 

--
 Rob Lowrie                     \         Los Alamos National Laboratory
 [email-masked]                 \ Scientific Computing, CIC-19, MS B256
 http://www.c3.lanl.gov/~lowrie/  \            Los Alamos, NM  87545 USA

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 14:15:19 -0400

> hack FvwmPager to have its own Desk function, but this isn't very elegant. 

Well, the man page says:

"Desktop numbers must be  between 2147483647 and -2147483648  (is that
enough?)."

And of course, fvwm2 has no idea of how many pagers are running and what
range of pages they are covering.  Theoretically, you could do:

FvwmPager -200 -198
FvwmPager 0 10

Still this seems like more flexibility than is called for.

If you work up a patch, I suggest a command like "DistinctDesktops n",
where "n" would limit the "distinct desktops" to 0 thru n.

Once there was a command setting a limit, then  you would make changes
to  the  "desk" command, and FvwmPager  to  make sure  that  limit was
followed.

While  researching this,  I got confused  by  the commands, "Desk" and
"WindowsDesk"  which take up to  2  arguments.  The  way it reads, you
would think that the 2 arguments are "workspace" and "room".

     Desk arg1 arg2
          Changes to another desktop (workspace, room).

          If arg1 is non zero then the next desktop  number  will
          be  the  current  desktop  number  plus  arg1.  Desktop
          numbers can be negative.

          If arg1 is zero then the new  desktop  number  will  be
          arg2...

The rest of  the documentation uses  the terms "desktop" and "distinct
desktop".  I would suggest that the  man page would be clearer without
the words "workspace" and "room".   These commands seem to change  the
"distinct desktop".

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Rob Lowrie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 13:56:06 -0600 (MDT)

> where "n" would limit the "distinct desktops" to 0 thru n.

In retrospect, I agree, such a patch would have to go into fvwm2 as
opposed to trying to modify FvwmPager.  "DesktopRange nStart nStop" might
be a better syntax.

Originally it seemed a bit strange to have FvwmPager as a module, but I
suppose there's someone out there who uses multiple desktops without
FvwmPager.

The reason I want this feature is so that the following keyboard short
cuts (I have a 2x2 pager setup)

Key Right        A       SC      Desk 1
Key Left         A       SC      Desk -1
Key Up           A       SC      Desk -2
Key Down         A       SC      Desk 2

behave with sanity.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 16:17:51 -0400

> opposed to trying to modify FvwmPager.  "DesktopRange nStart nStop" might

It might be, but the negative desktop numbers seems like a mis-feature
to me.  The above  syntax seems like it  would invite the user  to use
all kinds of strange ranges,  and even more than  1 range.  However, I
think  the patch writer would  have first choice,  and Chuck would get
the last word.

> cuts (I have a 2x2 pager setup)

I never run with the pager.  (I don't use any modules at all.)

I use a 2x2 desktop and navigate the 4 desks with ctrl arrow:

Key Left	A	C	Scroll -100 0
Key Right	A	C	Scroll +100 +0
Key Up		A	C	Scroll +0   -100
Key Down	A	C	Scroll +0   +100

On the other hand, lots of people here copy my configuration,
and almost all of them find that they like to run the pager.

Go figure.

---

From: Pete Gaden <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 21:27:11 +0100 (BST)