Subject: FVWM: Re: fvwm2 crash using Wabi...

From: william austin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 13:23:14 -0400 (EDT)

Mohammed Iqbal <[email-masked]> writes:

> Although everything else is working fine both myself and colleagues have
> come across one lethal bug/ problem and that is whenever we run Wabi the
> fvwm2 wm crashes with an error message "Broke Pipe".
> 
> Wabi is Windows Application Binary Interface from Sun Microsystems and
> provides execution of Micrsoft Windows 3.1 on Sun Workstations. Wabi is
> valuable free software for users wanting to run Microsoft Office and
> other Windows 3.1 Applications.
> 
> Does any one know of any work-arounds/ fixes.
> 
> Machine/ Env details:
> 
> o Machine: SunOS bhars53f 5.5.1 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1
> o Running Openwindow X server under SunOS
> o fvwm version 2.0.45
> o compiled on the above machine using
> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-sunos4.1.2/2.6.3/specs gcc version
> 2.6.3
> o The Imake file attached for your info

I am running the same configuration with no problem -- Wabi works just fine for
me.

Hmmm. Here are a couple of suggestions/questions/etc.:

1)	Question: is wabi running correctly with OpenWin or CDE desktop manager?
	If not, the problem isn't fvwm2.
	
2)	You don't mention which (if any) patches you have applied.  There are
	certain patches which *must* be applied or you can get rather 
	unpredicatable behavior -- including broken pipes.  See the readme
	files on the disk containing the Wabi package.

3)	Are you getting a core dump?  If so have you looked at it with a
	debugger to locate the point of the broken pipe?
	
4)	Have you tried compiling fvwm2 using Sun's compiler?  Just a thought
	(I have both gcc and SunPro 'C', and the sun product has a few extra
	features which are often useful in some areas of tracing problems.).

5)	Run wabi via truss (as root) and see where the pipe breaks. (Not
	necessarily possible in every case).
	
Not trying to be a know-it-all, but the combination works fairly well for us
at my office (multiple sparc and intel machines running Solaris & fvwm2
successfully), so there must be a solution here somewhere...

William W. Austin			[email-masked]
				770 750-6954 VOICE / 770 750-7321 FAX
========================================================================
               "Life is just a phase I'm going through..."

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].