Subject: FVWM: Better interaction between Netscape and Fvwm with SloppyFocus

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 Jul 1997 16:55:41 +0200

Hi,

I use SloppyFocus.  And I use Netscape.  This means that keyboard
shortcuts don't work the way I would like them to:

I expect to hit Alt-L, say, then enter the URL, then hit Return.
However, it is most unlikely that the mouse pointer is at the right
spot for the popup window of Netscape to receive focus automatically.
Most of the time, I need to hit Alt-L, then move the mouse pointer
into the popup window, then enter the URL, then hit Return.

I positively *hate* this.

I thought that it might be a good idea to hack Fvwm such that the
following rule applies:

  If the user is using SloppyFocus and if a popup appears that
  `belongs to' the window that currently has focus, give focus to the
  popup that has just appeared.

I looked into events.c and it seems that I only need to hack
HandleMapNotify() appropriately.  Is this correct?

However, what I don't know is how to find out wether the window that
has just appeared `belongs to' the window that has currently focus.
How would I do that?  Which fields in the window structure do I have
to compare to find that out?

tia,
kai
-- 
A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.
(BFBS Radio)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Krischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 11:41:48 -0400

the problem is not limited to sloppy focus. i use mouse focus (or
whateven it's called).  i think the solution would be to make something
similar to how AutoRaise is done.  and this new module? would cause
either the mouse to jump to or just cause the window to receive focus if
a new window pops up which, as you proposed, belongs to the window which
currently has focus.

anyone want to implement it for us? :)

--mark

---

From: cron <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 11:51:40 -0400

Hi All

I've heard there is a website styled like "fvwm for dummies".  It's
supposed to contain fvwm configuration info in an easy to follow format.
I've searched thru half a dozen search engines - no luck.  Any of you
ever run across a site like this??

Thanks.

---

From: [email-masked] (David S. Goldberg)
Date: 03 Jul 1997 11:49:40 -0400

I realize it's not what you want, but for the specific case of
Netscape, I just make it ClickFocus (one of the best features of fvwm
is per application focus policy).  ClickFocus does the right thing
with dialog windows.  Since Netscape is pretty useless without the
mouse anyway, having to click to get it focused initially isn't too
much trouble (and if you keep it on its own desk with no other (mouse
or sloppyfocus) windows it works quite nicely).  At the same time, if
a solution that got dialog boxes to focus properly with mouse or
sloppyfocus came along, I'd be an avid user of it.  Unfortunately X
programming isn't my forte.

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 11:59:50 -0400

> Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 11:41:48 -0400
> From: Mark Krischer <[email-masked]>
> 

Warping the mouse is not so nice.  I would prefer the behavior used by
ghostview where the pupup window is put under the mouse's current postion.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].