Subject: FVWM: PseudoColor tricks

From: Mark Borges <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 10:47:10 -0600

Hi.

We're still in the dark ages here with our 8bpp PseudoColor
Xterminals. Recently, I ran across this URL,

  http://c3-a.snvl1.sfba.home.com/ColormapFAQ.html

which purported to eliminate colormap flashing when applications
install their own colormap (e.g., `netscape -install'). Unfortunately,
I don't see any difference at all. Will this "trick" not work with
fvwm? Has anyone else tried this with fvwm-2.0.45 and noticed a
difference? FWIW, I also tried using cmap_compact(1) (as mentioned in
the above URL), but that, too, had no visible effect.

  $ uname -a
  SunOS charney 5.5 Generic_103093-12 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-10

Thanks.

-- 
  -mb-
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 15:09:08 -0400

>   SunOS charney 5.5 Generic_103093-12 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-10

If you start netscape with  -install, colormap flashing is inevitable.
The URL you reference suggests "netscape -ncol nn",  or using a static
color  map.    I didn't see anything   that  would help   the netscape
installed  colormap match the   currently installed colormap.  Even if
the initial colormaps are close, I don't think they would remain close
for long.

I think you  will end  up living with    "netscape -install" and   the
flashing.   I don't  think fvwm is   doing  anything to  aggravate the
problem.

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Trent Piepho <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 12:41:09 -0700 (PDT)

> flashing.   I don't  think fvwm is   doing  anything to  aggravate the

It is, in a way.  If you have fvwm print out the exact sequence of colormaps
it installs as you move the mouse into or out of a window with a private
colormap, it is less the optimal.  The best would be to simply install the new
colormap and be done with it, but fvwm installs the new colormap, re-installs
the old one, and then does the new one again.  It might even have been worse,
I don't remember exactly.

I tried to rewrite the colormap code once, because it is very broken with
respect to machines with multiple colormaps (SGI systems) or with non-top
level windows with different colormaps than their parents.  However, X doesn't
like to give much information on the colormap hardware of the machine, with
minimum colormaps, maximum colormaps, and the (lame) colormap notify events
all fvwm has to go on, I couldn't figure out how to do it.  fvwm also needs to
get enter and exit notify events for non-top level windows (ie.  windows it
isn't managing) to do colormaps right.

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun.   |
|Trent Piepho ([email-masked])                   -- Metallica  |
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].