Subject: FVWM: Move windows relatively?

From: Christopher Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 14:55:14 -0500 (CDT)

Is it possible to move a window relative to it's current position?

Say I might want to have a key to bump a window a little to the right
or left of it's current position, maybe to help with overlapping
windows.  

How is this/could this be done?  I can only find commands to move to
absolute positions ("relative" in the man page's sense means relative
to the page size -- a questionable usage as written).

-Wolf

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 16:19:35 -0400

> to the page size -- a questionable usage as written).

If you use "move" without arguments, as in:

Key F7		A	M	Move

You then get to use the cursor keys to move the window where you want.

As far as dealing with overlapping windows, don't forget FvwmTile
and FvwmCascade.

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Christopher Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 15:27:26 -0500 (CDT)

>You then get to use the cursor keys to move the window where you want.

Hmmm...that will work, but is not quite what I'm looking for.

If there any way to, say, bind a key/button/function that will just
move the window one pixel to the left of where it is now?

The modules are much more than I want since they are farther reaching
in their actions.

-Wolf

---

From: Jim Knoble <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 16:53:12 -0400 (EDT)

Check out xwit, available from ftp.x.org in the contrib section.

--jim

############### jim knoble ######## [email-masked] #################

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, Christopher Wolf wrote:

: Is it possible to move a window relative to it's current position?
: 
: Say I might want to have a key to bump a window a little to the right
: or left of it's current position, maybe to help with overlapping
: windows.  
: 
: How is this/could this be done?  I can only find commands to move to
: absolute positions ("relative" in the man page's sense means relative
: to the page size -- a questionable usage as written).
: 
: -Wolf
: 
: --
: Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
: To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
: message to [email-masked].
: To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].
:

---

From: Larry Gensch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 08:28:09 -0400 (EDT)

> : Is it possible to move a window relative to it's current position?

Yes, the following is useful with xwit 3.2 and fvwm2:

Key Up		A	MC	rmove 0 -5
Key Down	A	MC	rmove 0  5
Key Left	A	MC	rmove -5 0
Key Right	A	MC	rmove 5  0

DestroyFunc	"rmove"
AddToFunc	"rmove" "I" Exec xwit -display $HOSTDISPLAY -rmove $0 $1 -id $w

This allows META-CONTROL-Arrows to move the currently selected window
five pixels at a time.

The addr for xwit is ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/utilities/xwit-3.2.tar.gz

-- 
(void) lar3ry();                                      [email-masked]

     "Sometimes it happens.  People just explode.  Natural causes."