Subject: Re: FVWM: Are pie-shaped menus feasible?

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Riehm)
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 16:15:45 +0200 (MEZ)

Hi Larry,

> Now, I know that my response to your message doesn't have anything to
> do with "pie menus" or whatever, but it shows that even with the
> existing menu structure, it is possible to minimize the amount of
> damage done if you hit the "wrong" entry by accident.

This is true, but it's not the point. The point is that pie menus are
supposed to be more efficient to use, you have bigger targets which
are better separated and organised - what happens when you trigger one
is in this discussion - irrelevant.

I would also be interested in seeing a working version of pie menus -
at least to see if I really like them or not.

Steve
_______________________________ ._ o  ________________________________
//   Stephen Riehm             /  //\.        [email-masked]
\\\\ pc-plus                  '  \>> |         Phone: +49 89 45566 148
//// 81675 Munich, Germany        \\ `           Fax: +49 89 45566 113
  \\
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 10:52:29 -0500

>at least to see if I really like them or not.

I managed to get piewm (sort of) working under Linux a while back.
If you are running Linux and want to take a quick look at it, you can
get a copy of what I built at 

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/mcguire/debris/fvwm/mypiewm.tar.gz

You'll need to untar mypiewm.tar.gz, cd to the piewm directory, and
run "piewm < system.twmrc".  I don't remember why it reads from the
standard input; I think that's what I had to hack on to get it to work
at all.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Tommy McGuire

---

From: William Denton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 02:46:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997 [email-masked] wrote:

: I managed to get piewm (sort of) working under Linux a while back.
: If you are running Linux and want to take a quick look at it, you
: can get a copy of what I built at
: 
: http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/mcguire/debris/fvwm/mypiewm.tar.gz

Thanks for making this available, it was interesting to play with
(although I don't like twm :]).  Certainly gives a different feel than
the standard pull-down rectangular menus.

Seeing that makes me live in hope of a PieMenu module, where one
could add into little mini-pixmaps (maybe with pop-up tips to remind
you what they are), maybe with branching menus so the circle expands
and contracts as you click into sub-menus, with little pie pieces
growing and disappearing.  It'd be a lot more useful than whatever
background image loudness Enlightenment is coming up with. :)

Bill
-- 
William Denton | Toronto, Canada | http://www.vex.net/~buff/ | Caveat lector.
  "It is better to incur a mild rebuke than to perform an onerous task."
                                   -- "Uncle" Oswald Hendryks Cornelius