Subject: FVWM: FvwmButtons swallowing 2 FvwmIconMans

From: Brian Sayatovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 07:37:53 -0400

Is this possible?  I have one which does all windows, except LIST1, and
a second which does only LIST1.  The first is set up to appear as a
'taskbar' swallowed in my FvwmButtons.  The seonc is set up to be a
'system tray' with just the miniicons for those in LIST1.

        Essentially, I have two Swallow statements for FvwmButtons.  I
followed
each invocation by the manager id, but I don't know if that is
necessary, or if FvwmIconMan can figure that out itself; anyways, it
doesn't complain.  

        However, when I invoke the first one only, I get BOTH managers. 
The
first one, the 'taskbar', is swallowed, and the second, the 'system
tray' is not.  When I invoke both of them, I get two of each.  One of
ech is swallowed wherte it should be, and one of each are just sitting
on the root window.

        Is there a way to accomplish what I want?  Or even more
basically, what
is the stynactical operation for using multiple FvwmIconMans?

Brian.
 ___________________________________________________________
|                                                           |
|  Brian Sayatovic                 (mailto:[email-masked])  |
| --------------------------------------------------------- |
|  International TechneGroup, Inc. (http://www.iti-oh.com)  |
|___________________________________________________________|
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (David S. Goldberg)
Date: 15 Jul 1997 08:25:35 -0400

> basically, what is the stynactical operation for using multiple
> FvwmIconMans?

I assume you mean running FvwmIconMan once with 2 managers
(*FvwmIconMan*nummanagers 2)?  If so, then you can swallow both those
managers, though there is a bit of a trick to it.  First make sure you
provide a FvwmIconMan*title for each manager because I think that by
default they end up with the same thing (that may have changed in
subsequent versions -- I haven't checked).  Here's the relevant (and
some I'm not quite certain are relevant) bits from my .fvwm2rc (I use
three horizontal managers and have FvwmButtons swallow them all):

*FvwmIconMan*nummanagers 3
*FvwmIconMan*resolution global
*FvwmIconMan*buttongeometry 1146x0
*FvwmIconMan*1*managergeometry 1x1+1-129
*FvwmIconMan*2*managergeometry 1x1+1-109
*FvwmIconMan*3*managergeometry 1x1+1-89
*FvwmIconMan*1*title "Emacs Icons"
*FvwmIconMan*2*title "XTerm Icons"
*FvwmIconMan*3*title "Misc Icons"
[ rest of FvwmIconMan spec deleted ]

*FvwmButtonsRows 1

*FvwmButtons(Container(Frame 0, Padding 0 0, Rows 14))
*FvwmButtons(104x2, Frame 0, Swallow(NoClose,UseOld) "Emacs Icons" \
    "Module FvwmIconMan")
*FvwmButtons(104x2, Frame 0, Swallow(NoClose,UseOld) "XTerm Icons" Nop)
*FvwmButtons(104x2, Frame 0, Swallow(NoClose,UseOld) "Misc Icons" Nop)
[ rest of FvwmButtons spec deleted ]

Note the trick.  For the first swallow I execute FvwmIconMan and wait
for the first manager window to pop up, then swallow it.  For the
subsequent swallows, I don't execute anything (just put in the Nop as
a function place holder), but by specifying UseOld, FvwmButtons will
notice the "old" icon manager windows that were just created by the
recent execution of FvwmIconMan and happily swallow them.

hth,

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]