Subject: FVWM: way to detect motif programs?

From: Trent Piepho <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 16:05:04 -0700 (PDT)

Is there some way to detect if a program uses motif, from inside fvwm?

I'd like to make a patch that will tell fvwm to ignore all PPosition
fields that are 0,0 from motif programs and their subwindows.  I find it
really annoying that all the motif programs start in the upper left corner of
the screen, and then they insist on sticking their popup windows in the corner
too.

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun.   |
|Trent Piepho ([email-masked])                   -- Metallica  |
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 02:15:05 -0400 (EDT)

There isn't a good way to detect if a program is Motif, but you can use:

    Style "blah" NoPPosition

to tell fvwm to ignore the PPosition field for program `blah'.  It's in
TFM.

--jim

############### jim knoble ######## [email-masked] #################

On Sat, 26 Jul 1997, Trent Piepho wrote:

: Is there some way to detect if a program uses motif, from inside fvwm?
: 
: I'd like to make a patch that will tell fvwm to ignore all PPosition
: fields that are 0,0 from motif programs and their subwindows.  I find
: it really annoying that all the motif programs start in the upper left
: corner of the screen, and then they insist on sticking their popup
: windows in the corner too.

---

From: Trent Piepho <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 23:30:58 -0700 (PDT)

> to tell fvwm to ignore the PPosition field for program `blah'.  It's in

That's what I've been doing, but it only seems to work on the main window.
Each transient window the application starts, and motif apps seem to start
a lot, will go in the corner of the screen.  e.g. xquote will start
in a sane spot after NoPPosition, but the window where you enter
stock symbols will appear at 0,0, the window for ticker tape speed
will appear at 0,0 on top of that, and so on.  Really, really annoying.

---

From: Jim Knoble <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 02:37:38 -0400 (EDT)

Try:

    Style "*" NoPPosition

That works for every window.

--jim

: On Sun, 27 Jul 1997 [email-masked] wrote:
: > There isn't a good way to detect if a program is Motif, but you can use:
: > 
: >     Style "blah" NoPPosition
: > 
: > to tell fvwm to ignore the PPosition field for program `blah'.  It's in
: > TFM.
: 
: That's what I've been doing, but it only seems to work on the main window.
: Each transient window the application starts, and motif apps seem to start
: a lot, will go in the corner of the screen.  e.g. xquote will start
: in a sane spot after NoPPosition, but the window where you enter
: stock symbols will appear at 0,0, the window for ticker tape speed
: will appear at 0,0 on top of that, and so on.  Really, really annoying.