Subject: FVWM: placement policy question

From: Grant Reaber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 18:21:45 -0400 (EDT)

When the screen is full and a window needs to come up, fvwm gives me an
outline that I place with the mouse.  Most of the time that's fine.  But
when things are slow, I've already started something else by the time I
see the window, and I don't want to interrupt it.  What happens now is
that either a mouse click or a key press will place the window.  The
behavior I would like is that a key click place the window but place it
not where it is but "out of the way", i.e. someplace that doesn't overlap
the window with focus (or the one that had focus before the outline came
along).  Also, the keystroke should be passed along to the window that had
focus.  Then, when I come to a break in my typing, I can go back and put 
the window where I want it if fvwm has not chosen a good place.  Possible?

Grant

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Jul 1997 08:42:53 +0200

>>>>> Grant Reaber writes:

  Grant> When the screen is full and a window needs to come up, fvwm
  Grant> gives me an outline that I place with the mouse.  Most of the
  Grant> time that's fine.  But when things are slow, I've already
  Grant> started something else by the time I see the window, and I
  Grant> don't want to interrupt it. [...]

I use SmartPlacement and the GlobalOpts setting
SmartPlacementIsReallySmart.  Most of the time, this places new
windows where I'd put them, anyway.  Took me quite some time to get
used to it as I came from ctwm where the only reasonable thing to do
is to place the windows yourself (like you do), but with some fiddling
in placement.c I found that fvwm now does what I mean automatically.

In placement.c you can encource or discourage the obstruction of
certain window types.  I encouraged the obstruction of sticky windows
by setting the parameter to 0.1 (instead of 3 or something which
discourages the obstruction of sticky windows).  You might also need
to change the value of the variable from int to double if you want to
put floating point values in it.

kai
-- 
A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.
(BFBS Radio)