Subject: FVWM: FVWM2: Avoiding part of a display

From: Brian Sayatovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 08:58:42 -0400

In my current Fvwm2 configuration, I have FvwmButtons extening from the
top edge to the bottom edge of my screen on the left edge of it (about
100 pixels wide).    So my remaining desktop space is 1052x900+100+0 in
gemetry terms.  Is there a way I can force windows to believe this is
the only available space for placing the windows?  Currently, they like
to pop-up behind by FvwmBUttons (which is StaysOnTop ans Sticky), and I
have to drag them out before I use them.

Brian.
-- 
 ___________________________________________________________
|                                                           |
|  Brian Sayatovic                 (mailto:[email-masked])  |
| --------------------------------------------------------- |
|  International TechneGroup, Inc. (http://www.iti-oh.com)  |
|___________________________________________________________|
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Jul 1997 16:05:26 +0200

>>>>> Brian Sayatovic writes:

  Brian> [...] Is there a way I can force windows to believe this is
  Brian> the only available space for placing the windows?  Currently,
  Brian> they like to pop-up behind by FvwmBUttons (which is
  Brian> StaysOnTop ans Sticky), and I have to drag them out before I
  Brian> use them.

You might want to use "GlobalOpts SmartPlacementIsReallySmart" and
modify the code in placement.c to make Fvwm avoid StaysOnTop windows.
I have modified the code such that it prefers Sticky and StaysOnTop
windows.  Works great.

kai
-- 
A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.
(BFBS Radio)