Subject: FVWM: can't open display

From: "Kyle Baker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 14:28:31 -0400

Dear fvwm,

I have just installed FVWM2 on an Intel Machine running FreeBSD.  When I
try to start fvwm2, I get the following message.
"[FVWM][main]: <<ERROR>> can't open display"
Can anyone tell how to correct this problem.

Kyle Baker
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 14:42:28 -0400 (EDT)

> Can anyone tell how to correct this problem.

Make sure that you have access to the display... I.e., if you're logged
in to X as a user, and you're su'd to root trying to run fvwm2, it won't
work, because only your user has access to the display (i.e.... run fvwm2
as your user)... Also, make sure your DISPLAY environment variable is set
to ":0" ... have fun.
			-peace

--- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK ------------+-----------
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) | "In the morning glad I see
P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K? w++++  |  My foe outstrech'd beneath the tree."
O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5   |               -The Poison Tree
X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>*  h*(!) r-  |                William Blake
y*(+) ------ END GEEK CODE BLOCK -----+