Subject: FVWM: Warning: Cannot allocate color map for <whatever>

From: Carvel Baus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 10:35:21 -0400

I get this error message a lot and I am not too sure what I am doing
wrong. In the particular case of the above message, I get it when I
start emacs. The Xdefaults for my emacs are:

emacs*foreground:               black
emacs*background:               tan
emacs*borderWidth:              5
emacs*cursorColor:              black
emacs*internalBorder:           5
emacs*marginBell:               true
emacs*nMarginBell:              8
emacs*pointerColor:             black
emacs.pane.menubar.background:  #ababab
emacs.font:                     8x13

The color 'tan' is defined in my rgb.txt file and at different times,
it has actually come up with the correct color although I don't know
why. I am not running netscape or anything 'color' intensive. Can
someone tell me where to look to figure out how to get my color maps
to work beter?

Thanks,
Carvel

-- 
_____________________________________________________________________________
R. Carvel Baus                              Tel: 	919-790-3342
Fujitsu Network Communications, Inc.        Fax: 	919-713-1100
Software Design Switching Division
4403 Bland Rd, Somerset Park
Raleigh NC, 27609			                Email: [email-masked]
_____________________________________________________________________________
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 11:11:36 -0400

> someone tell me where to look to figure out how to get my color maps

Your first challenge is to find out what is using up your colors.

I've  found the "colormap" utility by  Barry Solomon to be helpful for
this although nothing that I've found can  absolutely identify what is
using the colors.  (The colormap is shared after all.)

If fvwm2 turns out to be the culprit, there is a "colorlimiting" patch
for fvwm 2.0.45 that I  can send you  that  limits the colors used  in
icons and pixmap textures that should help.

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Christopher Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 11:57:56 -0500 (CDT)

I use the following to control a few main xterms that I always use.
(I use the animation just for the heck of it).

One problem is that this does not seem to Raise a window if it is
currently open onscreen.  I preseume this is due to the Wait command
actually waiting for a NEW window to pop up with the given name.

AddToFunc RaiseFocus-Named-Xterm
+       "I"     None [$0] 	Exec exec xterm -name $0 &
+       "I"     Next [$0]       Iconify -1
+       "I"     Wait $0
+       "I"     Next [$0]       WarpToWindow 50 50
+       "I"     Next [$0]       Raise
+       "I"     Next [$0]       Focus
+       "I"     Next [$0]       AnimatedMove $1p $2p

Is there any way to rewrite this to make it work like I'm implying I'd
like it to?  Namely, that it will either create or uniconify a window
of the given name, and then raise it to the top, and if it already is
non-iconified, then just raise and focus.

-Wolf

---

From: Christopher Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 12:01:08 -0500 (CDT)

I order to get functions like the following to work, it seems I need
to include the CirculateHit in the Next command.

Since I can find no information in the man page on what application
CirculateHit would have in this position, I wondered if anyone could
tell me if it's legal here, what effect it might have on the Function,
and it's relation to the CirculateSkip and WindowListSkip style
options.

AddToFunc warp-or-run-cmd
+       "I"     None [$0 CirculateHit]       Exec exec $1 &
+       "I"     Next [$0 CirculateHit]       Iconify -1
+       "I"     Next [$0 CirculateHit]       Focus

-Wolf