Subject: FVWM: making a window pop up on the current page

From: Don Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 11:43:24 -0700

I am running fvwm95.  I have a online dictinary and an appointment
calander that I keep active but iconified most of the time.  When I
activate them, I would like them to come up on the page I am currently
on, not drag me back to the page where the app was iconified.  I have
done the rtfm and don't see how this is accomplished.  Any help would be
appreciated.

thanks
don
-- 
*******************************************************************
*    Don Fisher				  [email-masked]  *
*    MMT Observatory			  VOICE: (520)621-7647	  *
*    University of Arizona    		  FAX:   (520)670-5740	  *            
*    Tucson, AZ  85721                				  *              
*******************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Rob Lowrie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:01:34 -0600 (MDT)

> done the rtfm and don't see how this is accomplished.  Any help would be

I'm running 2.x, but since 95 is based on 2.x, the following should work.

I do what you're asking with netscape (and other apps), defined as a
button under FvwmButtons: 

##################
Style "Netscape"    NoIcon

AddToFunc NetscapeFunction "I" Next [Netscape] Iconify 1
+		           "I" Next [Netscape] Iconify -1
+		           "I" Next [Netscape] Focus
+			   "I" None [Netscape] Exec netscape -install

*FvwmButtons "" mini.netscape.xpm NetscapeFunction
##################

I'm not sure the NoIcon is necessary.  Anyway, the key is to force
iconification (`Iconify 1') first, so that when the window is de-iconified
(`Iconify -1'), it's brought up in the current window.  Admittedly, this
is sort of a hack.  Ideally, I suppose it would be best if WindowDesk did
the same thing, but that doesn't appear to be an option. 

If anyone has a better (more elegant) solution, I'd love to hear it.

--
 Rob Lowrie                     \         Los Alamos National Laboratory
 [email-masked]                 \ Scientific Computing, CIC-19, MS B256
 http://www.c3.lanl.gov/~lowrie/  \            Los Alamos, NM  87545 USA

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Jun 1997 12:06:51 +0200

>>>>> Don Fisher writes:

  Don> I am running fvwm95.  I have a online dictinary and an
  Don> appointment calander that I keep active but iconified most of
  Don> the time.  When I activate them, I would like them to come up
  Don> on the page I am currently on, not drag me back to the page
  Don> where the app was iconified. [...]

In what way is making them sticky not what you want?

kai
-- 
A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.
(BFBS Radio)