Subject: FVWM: StartIconic is broken

From: [email-masked] (Mark Scott)
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 12:37:37 -0500 (CDT)

We've noticed that the "StartIconic" style command is broken in Fvwm 2.0.45.
It actually does iconify things when they startup, the problem is that it also
iconifies any dialog boxes or sub-windows that come up during application use
(which is probably not what is intended). This really confused one poor user
when he hit a modal dialog in Netscape (preferences) & the icon went somewhere
else, so he thought it was hung. 

Also, I don't understand why my setting the "MODALITY_IS_EVIL" compile flag
doesn't have any affect on the Netscape 3.01's preferences menu coming up 
modal.

FYI,
 ______________________________________________________________________________
| Mark Scott                        | 				               |
| Motorola Urbana Design Center     |    "We are men of action,                |
| [email-masked]   	    |       lies do not become us."            |
| Ph# (217) 384-8536	            |  					       |
| http://www.cu-online.com/~mgscott |      Wesley from "The Princess Bride"    |
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Adam Kopacz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 20:35:52 +0200

Hi,

can i use pixmaps in my menus ?? 
and can i use a another font color for the menu-titles ??

-- 

Bye,              Homepage (Babes/Win95 Files)
    Adam Kopacz      http://www.rat.de/Adam

---

From: Stig <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 12:10:59 -0700

> doesn't have any affect on the Netscape 3.01's preferences menu coming up 

For any Xt-based application, it's much better to start it with the -iconic
flag as that only affects the initial window of the application.  Not every
other window that it ever creates.

It seems that fvwm ought to be able to do the same thing, but it seems
harder to do in a window manager than in the application...and not worth the
bother of doing when most applications are based upon Xt and already support
the -iconic flag.

    Stig