Subject: FVWM: I just built the fvwm, and I can't run it.

From: Paul Crossman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 09:45:15 -0400

I just finished building fvwm, and I can run it.  I have built and installed the

xpm package, but when I run fvwm2, I get this error.

ld.so.1: fvwm2: fatal: libXpm.so.4.3: can't open file: errno=2

I'm not sure what's complaining here.  I can't seem to figure out what file can't

be found.  Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

thanks,

Paul C.

--
Paul Crossman           /\                  "Would you like me to show you to
UNIX System Manager    /  \  A*V*I*D        your room, or would you rather go
[email-masked]     / // \   Technology,  kicking and screaming?"
(508) 640-3147       /______\    Inc.                   - The Simpsons

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bruce Stephens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 15:13:32 +0100

> I'm not sure what's complaining here.  I can't seem to figure out what

See ld(1)!

It's the dynamic loader that's complaining: it can't find (or perhaps read?) 
the shared library libXpm.so.4.3.  Exactly how you fix this is a bit system 
specific, but typically you could do one or more of the following: ensure that 
the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH includes the directory where the 
shared library is installed (and that this is done in the process from which 
fvwm2 is run); relink fvwm2 with the -R flag (or with the LD_RUN_PATH 
environment variable set), giving the (absolute) directory containing the 
shared library; link fvwm2 statically against libXpm.  (You probably don't 
want to do the last one.)

---

From: Mark Krischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 10:37:43 -0400

i remember having this problem as well.  what i think i ended up having
to do was go into the makefile and put the explicit library i wanted to
use instead of just -lXpm

 XPM_LIBRARIES = /usr/local/lib/libXpm.so.4.3 -lXpm

the problem seemed to be that the libXpm.so wasn't linked to
libXpm.so.4.3 and i think i used this method cause i didn't have
privilage to change the link.

i basically hacked it until it worked.  a more knowlegeable unix
guru might have a better solution.  but i hope that helps.

--mark

------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Krischer                               email: [email-masked]
BBN Systems & Technologies		    phone: (617) 873-4297
Network Security			      fax: (617) 873-4086

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot.  C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg."
                                      -- Bjarne Stroustrup on C++
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].