Subject: Re: FVWM: Hello from a new user

From: "Jeremy H. Sproat" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 17:35:44 +0000

On  2 Jun 97 at 15:53, [email-masked] wrote:
> Sproat,
> Try http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm
> Yehuda.

Okay, I saw that one.  Thanks, though.

Here's my problem:  My monitor is at the 640x480 resolution, 
and my screen size is something like 1100x900.  I want to 
configure fvwm2 so that my virtual desktop size matches my 
physical screen size.  The FAQ helped clear up the difference 
between screens and desktops, but neither the FAQ nor the man 
pages are helpful here.

What is the setting in the rc file to make the desktop the same 
size as the physical screen?

I'll appreciate any help I can get with this.

 - Sproat
--
              _   __
  .,,        ( `-'  \  Music soothed the savage beast...  Only after
 C:::]|||||||||() | |   I smashed in its skull with my six-string.
  `'`        (_.-.__/  Jeremy H. Sproat  internet:[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 19:45:20 -0400 (EDT)

> size as the physical screen?

Ahhh... Linux huh? :) Well, the problem is that Linux itself (X11) is
telling the window manager that it has a bigger screen than it does. And
when then window manager attempts to go to the extra space, linux just
scrolls everything over, as tho you were looking through peep hole or
something... 

	What you should look at is the configuration of the Xserver, not
the window manager. The default Xserver for Linux is Xfree86, unless you
got the redhat CD, in which case it installs Metro-X (RedHat's commercial
Xserver). Then there's also Accelerated X... In any case, you should look
into the configuration of the Xserver to make sure your physical screen
size matches whatever else is available. 

	I don't know how to configure anyone of those, all I can say is to
look through some HOW-TO's or documentation. If it's XFree86 that you
have, look into your XF86Config file (look for it, prolly somewhere in
/etc) towards the end of the file at the definition for your monitor. I
think the keyword is Virtual... Make sure that Virtual matches your actual
screensize :)
			-peace

--- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK ------------+-----------
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) | "In the morning glad I see
P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K? w++++  |  My foe outstrech'd beneath the tree."
O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5   |               -The Poison Tree
X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>*  h*(!) r-  |                William Blake
y*(+) ------ END GEEK CODE BLOCK -----+

---

From: "Bradley T. Hughes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 22:49:38 -0500 (CDT)

you are using XFree86 on your machine, thats why you can (are) getting a 
"virtual" resolution larger than what your monitor is running at.  This 
isn't controlled by fvwm2, but by the X server config file (usually 
/etc/XF86Config)

btw,  virtual resolution isn't all that bad... i have a 1600x1200 16bpp 
virtual on my 800x600 monitor and it cuts down on clutter.

Brad Hughes / nyztihke  -  1997
		- i've become something so horrid and evil - 
     - i can't stand to walk around in public without feeling my hatred - 
 - makes me want to end the suffering of the "good" people i see around me -

---

From: "Jeremy H. Sproat" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 07:23:53 +0000

> scrolls everything over, as tho you were looking through peep hole or

Wow.  Thanks to Kendrick and Bradley!  You guys are great.  
Sorry to bring up an off-topic question.

Play well,

 - Sproat