Subject: FVWM: taskbar in fvwm2

From: Tom Wike <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 08:25:46 -0500 (CDT)

I would like to use a taskbar in fvwm2 but without the fvwm95
decorations - is there one out there that can be used for fvwm2?
Thanks.
-- 
    Tom Wike                    Texas Instruments, Inc.     
    Unix System Administration  7839 Churchill Way M/S 3984 
    Email: [email-masked]        Dallas, Texas 75251         
    Pager: (972)598-1496        Phone: (972)917-1252        
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Larry Gensch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 10:07:52 -0400 (EDT)

> decorations - is there one out there that can be used for fvwm2?

FvwmButtons, combined with FvwmIconMan, makes a GREAT task bar.  Here
are the relevant parts of my configuration files.  Please note that
this is hardcoded to my screen size of 1280x1024 -- make changes where
appropriate.

*** configuration items ***
Style "FvwmButtons"	BorderWidth 1, WindowListHit, StaysOnTop
Style "FvwmButtons"	NoTitle, NoHandles, Sticky, WindowListHit
Style "FvwmIconMan"	Title, Sticky, WindowListHit

DestroyModuleConfig	FvwmIconMan

*FvwmIconMan*nummanagers		1
*FvwmIconMan*background			#c0c0c0
*FvwmIconMan*foreground			black
*FvwmIconMan*drawicons			true
*FvwmIconMan*font			-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-*-100-*-*-*-*-*-*
*FvwmIconMan*format			"%t"
*FvwmIconMan*buttongeometry		1024x24
*FvwmIconMan*managergeometry		1x1
*FvwmIconMan*drawicons			true
*FvwmIconMan*resolution			global
*FvwmIconMan*followfocus		true
*FvwmIconMan*focusbutton		down black #c0c0c0
*FvwmIconMan*focusandselectbutton	down black #e0e0e0
*FvwmIconMan*selectbutton		up black #e0e0e0
*FvwmIconMan*dontshow			class=FvwmButtons resource=FvwmPager

*FvwmIconMan*action     		Mouse   1 N sendcommand Focus, sendcommand "Iconify -1"
*FvwmIconMan*action     		Mouse   2 N sendcommand "Iconify 1"
*FvwmIconMan*action     		Mouse   3 N sendcommand "Iconify"

DestroyModuleConfig	FvwmButtons

*FvwmButtonsFore	Black
*FvwmButtonsBack	#c0c0c0
*FvwmButtonsFont	-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-*-70-*-*-*-*-*-*
*FvwmButtonsGeometry	-1-1
*FvwmButtonsRows	1

# FvwmButtons as Task Bar:

*FvwmButtons(2x1, NoSize, Padding 1 1, Container(Rows 1, Frame 0))
*FvwmButtons(NoSize, Icon mini-exp.xpm, Title(Side) Start, \
    Font -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-*-100-*-*-*-*-*-*, Frame 2, \
    Action 'Menu Utilities Nop')
*FvwmButtons(End)

*FvwmButtons(32x1, Size 1024 26, Frame 0, Padding 0 0, \
    Swallow "FvwmIconMan" "FvwmIconMan")

*FvwmButtons(6x1, Size 192 22, Frame 1, Container(Rows 1, Frame 0))
    *FvwmButtons(NoSize, Icon mini-lock.xpm, \
	Action (Mouse 1) 'Exec xlock random -duration 600 &', \
	Action 'Menu LockMenu Nop')
    *FvwmButtons(NoSize, Icon mini-nscape.xpm, \
	Action (Mouse 1) 'warp-or-run "Netscape" Exec netscape &', \
	Action 'Exec $HOME/scripts/ns-sel.sh &')
    *FvwmButtons(NoSize, Icon mini-printer.xpm, \
	Action (Mouse 1) 'Exec pstat.tk &', \
	Action 'Menu PrintMenu Nop')
    *FvwmButtons(NoSize, Icon mini-clipboard.xpm, \
	Action 'warp-or-run "xclipboard" Exec xclipboard &')
    *FvwmButtons(NoSize, Icon mini-turn.xpm, \
	Action (Mouse 1) 'Restart fvwm2', \
	Action (Mouse 2) 'Menu EditMenu Nop', \
	Action (Mouse 3) 'warp-or-run fvwmrc edit-fvwm2rc')
    *FvwmButtons(NoSize, Icon mini-stop.xpm, \
	Action 'Module FvwmForm QuitVerify')
    *FvwmButtons(3x1, NoSize, Swallow 'date.tk' 'Exec $HOME/scripts/date.tk &')
*FvwmButtons(End)

*** end of configuration ***

The tricky part is the three-part FvwmButtons configuration.  The
first part is the Start Menu.  The second part is the IconMan task
bar.  The third part is a "system tray" that launches some desired
applications.

If you understand Fvwm configuration, you should be able to figure out
what my various menus, functions, and programs do.

-- 
(void) lar3ry();                                      [email-masked]

     "Sometimes it happens.  People just explode.  Natural causes."

---

From: "Lansing D. Pickup" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 11:54:55 -0400

>this is hardcoded to my screen size of 1280x1024 -- make changes where

  How did you get FvwmIconMan to display icons horizontally?  The documentation
I have is for version 0.7 (although when I run it I get version 0.9).
Anyway, the version 0.7 docs say that it only supports vertical arrangement
of icons.  Apparently you must have gotten this to work--the taskbar is
not very useful otherwise.

  Also, where can I get the date.tk script you reference?

  Thanks,

    ...Lance

--
Lance Pickup      O-        VNET/IBM Internet: lpickup@btv
Modeling Automation                  Internet: [email-masked]
IBM Microelectronics                  ICQ UIN: 216830
Burlington, VT                          Phone: (802) 769-7104 (tie 446)

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Jun 1997 18:25:18 +0200

>>>>> Lansing D Pickup writes:

  Lansing> How did you get FvwmIconMan to display icons horizontally?

,-----
| *FvwmIconMan*managergeometry 1x5   
| *FvwmIconMan*buttongeometry =210x21
`-----

The managergeometry option tells FvwmIconMan to make 5 buttons
verticall and 1 horizontally.  When the sixth button is created,
FvwmIconMan divides them in two columns.  When the 11th button is
created, there are three columns.  And so on.

kai
-- 
A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.
(BFBS Radio)

---

From: Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Jun 1997 09:59:47 -0700

> created, there are three columns.  And so on.

Here's how it works. It's rather confusing, and I have trouble remembering how
it works sometimes, but it is very efficient:

buttongeometry specifies the initial geometry of each button. If y=0, then
FvwmIconMan set it according to the font size. 

managergeometry specifies the initial size of the manager window, in units of
buttons. There are three cases:

height=0, width > 0: manager has "width" columns, and grows the manager
vertically as needed. If there are fewer than "width" buttons, then the
buttons are expanded to fill the horizontal space. There will never be more
than "width" columns.

width=0, height > 0: manager has "height" rows, and grows horizontally as
needed. Since buttons don't expand vertically, the buttons will always keep
the buttongeometry specified in the .fvw2rc.

height > 0, width > 0: the manager window is fixed at exactly that size (in
pixels). Buttons will be expanded/shrunk horizonatally as much as needed to
fill the width, but are never expanded vertically.

It won't always be the case that the entire manager window is filled by
buttons. So, in that case, if you are using the shape extension, the window is
cropped to fit the buttons. If you are not using the shape extension, then the
remainder is blank.

The way I think of the managergeometry is that it specifies a constraint on
the maximum number of rows and/or columns. If there is only one constraint,
this gives horizontal or vertical growth. If there are two contraints, then I
could either just cap the number of buttons to width*height, or shrink the
buttons as necessary. The second is obviously the best thing to do, so that's
what it does.

Final note: whether the window grows to the left or right; or up rather than
down depends on the window gravity, which is determined by the sign of the x
and y coordinates given in managergeometry. 

There you go. 

-- 
 Brady Montz
 [email-masked]

---

From: "Lansing D. Pickup" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 14:58:55 -0400

What version of FvwmIconMan are we speaking of?

I downloaded the latest (v0.9 and I got the v0.9 docs) and still cannot
get this to work.  The docs explicitly say that only a vertical arrangement
is supported.  I've tried all suggestions and still get a vertical
arrangement (not surprising given the docs).  In fact, it doesn't even
like the managergeometry and buttongeometry resources (a scan of the source
reveals that only "geometry" is recognized).  I figure you should know best!
Sorry if I am asking such stupid questions here, but this has proven to be
very confusing.

  Thanks,

    ...Lance

---

From: "Lansing D. Pickup" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 16:04:13 -0400

>What version of FvwmIconMan are we speaking of?

Never mind--I have found that there is a special FvwmIconMan site and have
found that there have been PLENTY of new versions since 0.9.  I now have
the taskbar up and running.  Thanks!

  ...Lance