Subject: FVWM: StartsOnDesk and pages

From: Daniel Odom <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 00:45:35 -0500 (CDT)

Everyone knows how to cause certain applications to start on certain
desktops, but how do we make sure they take vacant pages (if
available)?

I have a bunch of desktops called "Bash," "Emacs," "Netscape," and so
on, each for the obvious apps.  I often run four or five copies of
emacs and at least a few shells, and I like being able to just click
"local shell" on my menu and have it pop up on the appropriate
desk.  I'd like it even better if it would magically appear on a
vacant page -- right now I have to rearrange the windows every time I
start a new instance of an application.

Any ideas?

-- 
Daniel Odom, software engineer
[email-masked]
http://www.danodom.com/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Jun 1997 09:57:25 +0200

>>>>> Daniel Odom writes:

  Daniel> Everyone knows how to cause certain applications to start on
  Daniel> certain desktops, but how do we make sure they take vacant
  Daniel> pages (if available)?

Hm.  Does SmartPlacement do something useful?  I use

    GlobalOpts SmartPlacementIsReallySmart

to make it even smarter.  But I've never tried to find out what
happens when apps don't appear on the current desk.

kai
-- 
A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.
(BFBS Radio)

---

From: Thimo Jansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 16:59:45 +0200

> start a new instance of an application.

RTFM , look in the manual (man fvwm2) for "StartsOnDesk". You can give
"Style"s to applications and there you define on which Desk they should
start.

Hope this helps,

Thimo Jansen
-- 
TeeJay signing off:  Avoid the Gates of Hell.  Use Linux

---

From: Thimo Jansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 17:01:18 +0200

> happens when apps don't appear on the current desk.

AFAIK, they always start on the current Desk. This won't SmartPlacement
won't help here. You might want to try "StartsOnDesk". See the manual.

Thimo Jansen

---

From: Daniel Odom <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 10:33:59 -0500 (CDT)

> happens when apps don't appear on the current desk.

Nope.  SmartPlacement only helps place windows on the current
page/screen.  I don't have "GlobalOpts" -- what FVWM are you using?

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Jun 1997 17:48:39 +0200

>>>>> Daniel Odom writes:

  Daniel> I don't have "GlobalOpts" -- what FVWM are you using?

Fvwm 2.0.45.  I don't think I have any patches applied, but maybe I
have and have forgotten about it.

kai