Subject: FVWM: using a swallowed app as a button?

From: zinc <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 20:39:48 -0600

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

hi folks,

here's what i'd be super happy to have happen.  i'm using fvwm 2.0.45.

i'm trying to avoid tkgoodstuff because, to me, it seems like a huge
memory hog compared with FvwmButtons and also uses up a ton of cpu
cycles.  

anyway, i use xbiff to indicate new mail (any better ones out
there?).  i have FvwmButtons swallow xbiff.  i want to be able to
click on this as well and have it start vm in XEmacs 
(using gnudoit -q '(vm)'.  i can run the gnudoit part as a script,
that's not the problem.  the problem is convincing FvwmButtons that
this is a button.

i've tried this:  

*FvwmButtons(Swallow "xbiff" Exec '~/bin/vm.sh')

but Fvwm is not happy with it at all.

any solutions?

- -patrick

- -- 
"Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin (1773)
		   finger zinc-pgp@zifi for PGP key
zifi runs LINUX 2.0.30  -=-=-=WEB=-=-=->  http://zifi.genetics.utah.edu

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 May 1997 09:47:28 +0200

>>>>> zinc  writes:

  zinc> anyway, i use xbiff to indicate new mail (any better ones out
  zinc> there?).  i have FvwmButtons swallow xbiff.  i want to be able
  zinc> to click on this as well and have it start vm in XEmacs (using
  zinc> gnudoit -q '(vm)'.  i can run the gnudoit part as a script,
  zinc> that's not the problem.  the problem is convincing FvwmButtons
  zinc> that this is a button.

Clicks on buttons that have swallowed an app are always passed to the
app.  But you can tell the button to have a title then specifying an
action means that you can click on the title to execute the action.
I did this and it worked.

kai
-- 
Life is hard and then you die.

---

From: Jakob Schiotz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 97 10:10:04 MET

Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]> writes

 > I did this and it worked.

IMHO FvwmButtons should not pass on mouse clicks if an action is
defined for that button.  Presumably the user knows what he is
doing....

Maybe in version 2.1 ?  Or maybe it is not that easy to "trick" X into
allowing that kind of stuff...

Jakob

--
Jakob Schiotz                    !  Email: [email-masked]
CAMP, Department of Physics      !  WWW: http://www.fysik.dtu.dk/~schiotz/
Technical University of Denmark  !  
DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark          !