Subject: FVWM: Re: Windows/Mac

From: Ari Heitner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 07:15:26 -0500 (EDT)

>I am a hardcore Windows user....but after I have seen pictures and red
>much about FVWM, I became a bit interested.  I was wondering what it
>would take to set me up.  Where do I get your porduct and what kinds of
>applications should I exspect to run....again I'm a novice when it comes
>to X-Windows and Unix.  I'm a Windows / MAC man.  I would really like a
>reply. 
>Later...

I was recently in your shoes.  Unix will be a big change from wintel &
mac environments.  Unix (Linux for the pc) is a largely free operating
system (there are comercial flavors) designed to permit portability of
code.  XWindows is a graphical service provider for unix systems.  On top
of X, you need a window manager, which can range from very utilitarian
"the window manager" (the original) to very out-there "enlighten" (which
is provides large abilities to change the look of things radically) to the
painful "open look" (just plain yuck) to the ideal "fvwm" (stands for
f-virtual-window-manager), don't ask.  You will find that you can
customize the way you interface graphically with your computer nearly
completely.
Ennyhoo, a lot of this stuff is free, and the quality is really very good.
You can either buy cd-rom distros with all sorts of stuff on them (e.g.
infomagic cd sets, and several others) or download them (if you have a
fast connection or are patient).  A lot of usefull stuff will come with a
Slackware or RedHat linux distribution (sorry, i assume if you use
windows, you're looking at intelarch).  X is available at tsx-11.mit.edu
(though it really otta come with a cd-rom set), and there is MUCH free
good software at sunsite.unc.edu or one of its mirrors.  There are many
other places to get free stuff too, and you can set yourself up with
basically everything you need for free.
Get used to software that you can fix/change if it's broken or you don't
like it, support from real humans, and fast, powerful operation for a
change:)

--R.E. Heitner
[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].