Subject: FVWM: fvwm95 to fvwm2.0.4 standard

From: Brian Summerfiels <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 13:11:37 -0700

I would first like to thank the people who created fvwm and the
contributors to its ongoing development as well as the people who answer
questions from people like me.
     I installed RedHat Linux version 4.1 Vanderbilt Kernal 2.0.  It
installed great, I then set the XF86Config file and started fvwm95.  It
worked great, however, one of the reasons I installed Linux was to get
away from Win95.  So I down loaded and installed fvwm2.0.45 I then went
to go change my .fvwmrc file to load fvwm2, however it was already set
to load fvwm and was loading fvwm95.  I chnaged it to fvwm2 and when I
type startx fvwm95 loads.  What I need to know is how to get fvwm to
load and not fvwm95.  As I am sure you can tell from my letter this is
my first shot at Linux and X Windows so any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Brian Summerfield
bsummerfield@csupomona
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 10:33:56 -0400

On Wed, 22 May 1996 13:11:37 -0700
Brian Summerfiels <[email-masked]> 
wrote concerning 'FVWM: fvwm95 to fvwm2.0.4 standard':
> away from Win95.

Good plan. 

> So I down loaded and installed fvwm2.0.45 I then went

On startup fvwm2 reads .fvwm2rc to determine its configuration. However,
you need to change the window manager that is started when X is
initiated. 

> my first shot at Linux and X Windows so any help would be greatly

The first thing to do is read the man page for startx, which reveals
that:

   To determine the client to run, startx first looks for a file called
   .xinitrc  in  the  user's  home directory.  If that is not found, it
   uses the file xinitrc in the xinit library  directory.

A quick find soon revealed the presence of /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, a shell
script which does some setup with xrdb and xmodmap, then
looks for $HOME/.Xclients and execs it if it exists.

So you could create a .xinitrc or .Xclients with the clients you want
on X startup.

For example, your .Xclients could look like this:

    nxterm &
    emacs &
    xearth &
    fvwm2

The last client should be in the foreground, and is often the window
manager. When it finishes (you do Quit in fvwm2) the X session ends.

Ric

Richard J Lister, Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC.
Phone: 202-687 2878
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].