Subject: FVWM: help for visually impaired

From: [email-masked] (Mark Scott)
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 11:52:56 -0500 (CDT)

I've got a visually impaired user that has a question. He's used a tool
called "puff" or "xpuff" in the past to magnify his view of the screen. The
tools sucks up a fair amount of CPU time & for other reasons, he'd like to
quit using it. What he wants is to fire up xterms with huge fonts (that span
muliple viewports) & have fvwm track his xterm text cursor & automatically
shift the viewport as necessary when he gets close to the edge of the screen. 
Is that possible? Are there any other better ideas?

thanks!
 ______________________________________________________________________________
| Mark Scott                        | 				               |
| Motorola Urbana Design Center     | "If a set of logical conclusions leads   |
| [email-masked]   	    |  one to a ridiculous outcome, one must   |
| Ph# (217) 384-8536	            |  question the premise they are based on."|
| http://www.cu-online.com/~mgscott |                   Dr. Boris Beizer       |
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Tiefenback <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 12:17:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 1 May 1997, Mark Scott wrote:

> Subject: FVWM: help for visually impaired
> 

Just a suggestion (two, really):

1.)  I have at times activated the FvwmPager's screen scrolling feature to
allow for smooth scrolling across the screen (smooth, that is, if enough
CPU cycles are available).  The hook to this *MIGHT* be available through
mouse or keyboard actions, or (I believe) could be cobbled in using
FvwmCommand mechanisms if the pager were able to listen to such commands.
I haven't used such features yet, but I know that things are being done
that I consider amazing.

2.)  If your user uses a Linux box (or anything else that uses XFree86,
then the hardware scrolling might be the best bet, and certainly would
be the fastest and least CPU intensive route.  With a moderately coarse
resolution, your user might be able to set up an 80x<something> terminal
spanning two or three physical viewscreens and be able to use the cursor.
If there are no other options (somewhat surprising if true) then getting a
17" terminal running at 1024x768 at 8 bpp may be usable for him with maybe
4 virtual screens available with hardware scrolling.

I saw your first posting of this question, and expected that others would
answer.  I guess that's what everyone thought.  I hope this suggestion is
useful, and I hope your mailbox doesn't get swamped with other
apologetically phrased but identical suggestions.

Michael Tiefenback