Subject: FVWM: tkgoodstuff - who uses it?

From: zinc <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 01:30:32 -0600

hi folks,

i'm wondering how many of you use the tkgoodstuff instead of
FvwmButtons.  It seems to be a lot slower to do some things but some
features are quite nice (like the alarm clock).

Anyway, i guess this is sort of a poll with opions requested...

-patrick

-- 
"Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin (1773)
		   finger zinc-pgp@zifi for PGP key
zifi runs LINUX 2.0.30  -=-=-=WEB=-=-=->  http://zifi.genetics.utah.edu
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Adam Kopacz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 15:08:44 +0200

zinc wrote:

Hi all,

> features are quite nice (like the alarm clock).

i'm using FvwmButtons.. but i'm missing a cool clock in a fvwmbutton.. xclock is shit
because i want it digital and without this date.. 
 
> zifi runs LINUX 2.0.30  -=-=-=WEB=-=-=->  http://zifi.genetics.utah.edu
I 1.2.6 :-)) aout only.. no ELF :)

-- 

Bye,  
    Adam Kopacz      http://www.rat.de/Adam

---

From: Larry Gensch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 10:48:46 -0400 (EDT)

> because i want it digital and without this date.. 

I wrote a quick and dirty little tcl/tk utility that displays a clock
and allows me to launch a mailer on a mouse click.  The script is easy
enough to modify to launch other applications or do other things based
on button clicks, etc.

The utility can be swallowed by FvwmButtons by using the following
line in you .fvwm2rc file:

*FvwmButtons(3x1, Swallow 'date.tk' 'Exec `$HOME/scripts/date.tk' &')

The '3x1' is due to the fact that I have a 'System Tray' portion of my
FvwmButtons that holds mini-icons for launching applications or tcl/tk
scripts.  This means that the clock is as wide as three mini-icons.

Note that I use FvwmM4; if you don't you can prolly get rid of the
backquotes in the line above.

One other thing:  using this script in a "System Tray," along with
binding a button to pop up a "Start Menu", and having FvwmButtons
swallowing FvwmIconMan, you can duplicate the functionality of the
Windows95 task bar quite well.

The date.tk script is small enough to enclose in this message.  Note
the procedures 'click1' and 'click3' show how to perform Fvwm actions
from tcl/tk without having to run as a Fvwm module (using FvwmCommand
that comes with fvwm-2.0.45 in the extras directory).  I use the
'insideClick' logic to allow the application to respond the same way
from single or multiple clicks.

date.tk follows (indented):

    #! /bin/sh
    #
    # *-tcl-* \
	exec wish4.2 $0 $*

    set insideClick 0
    global insideClick

    set font "-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-*-100-*-*-*-*-*-*"

    proc getTime {args} {
	set secs [clock seconds]
	.lab configure -text [clock format $secs -format "%I:%M %p"]
	after 10000 getTime
	update
    }

    proc click1 {} {
	global insideClick;

	if $insideClick return;

	set insideClick 1;

	exec FvwmCommand {warp-or-run "tkrat" Exec /usr/lar3ry/bin/tkrat}

	set insideClick 0;
    }

    proc click3 {} {
	global insideClick;

	if $insideClick return;

	set insideClick 1;

	exec FvwmCommand {Menu SystemMenu Nop}

	set insideClick 0;
    }

    label .lab -font $font -text "xx:xx" -bg #c0c0c0
    pack .lab -anchor c -fill both -expand yes
    bind .lab <Button-1> click1
    bind .lab <Button-3> click3
    getTime

    # end of date.tk script

-- 
(void) lar3ry();                                      [email-masked]

     "Sometimes it happens.  People just explode.  Natural causes."

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 May 1997 17:37:04 +0200

>>>>> Adam Kopacz writes:

  Adam> i'm using FvwmButtons.. but i'm missing a cool clock in a
  Adam> fvwmbutton.. xclock is shit because i want it digital and
  Adam> without this date..

I like xdaliclock.  Cool melting thingy!

kai
-- 
Life is hard and then you die.

---

From: Andrew J Cosgriff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 11:15:19 +1000

Kai> I like xdaliclock.  Cool melting thingy!

I'm quite partial to AfterStep's asclock - it runs standalone as well
as a module (I think i had to run it standalone with fvwm2, but it
works fine)

Andrew
-- 
 - Andrew J. Cosgriff -                  [email-masked]    (PGP/MIME ok)
 +61 3 9905 1165 (bh) 9905 4746 (fax)    http://www-personal.monash.edu.au/~ajc
        I guess it was all a DREAM..  or an episode of HAWAII FIVE-O...
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Trent Piepho <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 19:23:08 -0700 (PDT)

> as a module (I think i had to run it standalone with fvwm2, but it

I use a program called xloadtime, it's a replacement for xload that puts a
digital clock inside the load meter.  Fewer processes and fewer resources than
a seperate program.  I hacked it to accept more resources and have a normal
12-hour clock.  It only works on Linux though, as each OS has a different way
of getting the load average.  If anyone knows how to get the load average
(other than popen("uptime","r") or some such kludge) on DigitalUNIX or SunOs
systems, let me know.

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun.   |
|Trent Piepho ([email-masked])                   -- Metallica  |
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Bradley T. Hughes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 11:08:51 -0500 (CDT)

why not use oclock instead of xclock (i agree it sucks goat nads)?

Brad Hughes / nyztihke  -  1997
		- i've become something so horrid and evil - 
     - i can't stand to walk around in public without feeling my hatred - 
 - makes me want to end the suffering of the "good" people i see around me -