Subject: FVWM: CDE problem fixed

From: [email-masked] (Graeme McCaffery)
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 12:04:19 +0100 (BST)

finally I have found out how to run fvwm properly from cde 8-))
(thanks to  Lars Sodergren)

first set you home session in Dtwm. that usually is an empty session, though
you could have the cde session manager remember what your desktop was like
instead of FvwmSaveDesk etc..

then you have to set two resources in .Xdefaults:

*wmStartupCommand: /home/orion/spxgm/bin/Fvwm
*waitWmTimeout: 1

in this case I run fvwm from a shell script so that library variables etc
are set properly for everyone.
the waitWmTimeout tells the seesion manager how long to wait until it starts
the window manager. I've set it to 1 second. by default it's 60 secs

finally you have to quit with

/usr/dt/bin/dtaction ExitSession  (or whatever your path is for dtaction)

now you can happily use cde programs and fvwm.

Graeme

p.s. Chuck can you add this to the FAQ in the distribution

-- 
email: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].