Subject: FVWM: Configuration of the Emacs icon title?

From: Andreas Schumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 18:42:15 -0400 (EDT)

Does anybody know how to configure the Emacs icon title so that the
         filename of the current buffer 
appears in the title instead of 
	emacs@HOSTNAME ?

I have been thinking about this problem for a while and I'm not sure if
this is an Emacs problem or if this can be configured by fvwm.

Andreas Schumann
Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
K7L 3N6
e-mail: [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 May 1997 15:20:43 +0200

>>>>> Andreas Schumann writes:

  Andreas> Does anybody know how to configure the Emacs icon title so that the
  Andreas>          filename of the current buffer 
  Andreas> appears in the title instead of 
  Andreas> 	emacs@HOSTNAME ?

Modify icon-title-format and/or frame-title-format to get what you
want.

(setq frame-title-format "%b") ought to do something useful for you,
but is untested.

kai
-- 
Life is hard and then you die.

---

From: [email-masked] (David S. Goldberg)
Date: 19 May 1997 09:15:08 -0400

>>>>> Andreas Schumann writes:
Andreas> Does anybody know how to configure the Emacs icon title so
Andreas> that the filename of the current buffer appears in the title
Andreas> instead of emacs@HOSTNAME ?

>>>>> Kai Grossjohann responds:

Kai> Modify icon-title-format and/or frame-title-format to get what
Kai> you want.

Kai> (setq frame-title-format "%b") ought to do something useful for
Kai> you, but is untested.

You'll actually want to set them both, most likely to be the same
thing :-)  Normally if you set frame-title-format and leave
icon-title-format unset, the icon title will follow the frame title.
However, there is at least one situation where the icon title will not
take if icon-title-format is not explicitly set:

I normally start emacs iconic and run a couple of functions from the
command line to build a set of frames for Gnus, the calendar and w3.
As part of my startup I set frame-title-format to
("%b (" mode-name ")")
which lets me separate certain emacs modes into different FvwmIconMan
managers (yes, I'm a geek with too much time on my hands).  Until I
explicitly set icon-title-format to the same thing, that initial
frame's icon kept the emacs@hostname title, even if I deiconified the
frame.  The icon name would change appropriately when the frame was
open, but if I iconified it again, it went back to emacs@hostname.

hth,

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]