Subject: FVWM: I'm interested

From: "Red Beard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 23:59:18 -0400

I am a hardcore Windows user....but after I have seen pictures and red much
about FVWM, I became a bit interested.  I was wondering what it would take
to set me up.  Where do I get your porduct and what kinds of applications
should I exspect to run....again I'm a novice when it comes to X-Windows
and Unix.  I'm a Windows / MAC man.  I would really like a reply. 
Later...

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 May 1997 11:31:56 +0200

>>>>> Red Beard writes:

  Red> I am a hardcore Windows user....but after I have seen pictures
  Red> and red much about FVWM, I became a bit interested. [...]

You begin with Linux by buying a `distribution', basically the OS
kernel bundled with applications.  I think Red Hat is a good
distribution and I know that Debian is good (use it myself).

Fvwm is just one program among many.  Beginning to use Linux because
of Fvwm is similar to deciding to switch from MacOS to Win95 (say)
because of the File Manager in Win95.  You will probably get Fvwm with
your Linux distribution, but it might be an old version and you could
go to the Fvwm web site (look at the bottom of this message) to fetch
the newest version.  Fvwm is labeled beta but it is very stable
(hasn't crashed for me once!).

kai
-- 
`A wizard.  A ----ing wizard.  I *hate* ----ing wizards!'  `Well,
don't --- him, then,' one of his henchmen said, effortlessly
pronouncing a row of dashes.  (Terry Pratchett)