Subject: FVWM: Backspace key doesn't work in Netscape

From: Alfred von Campe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 15:31:06 -0400

I recently started using fvwm2.  I'm very happy with it, although
I've lost about 1.5 days of work this week trying to configure it.

I am using a SPARCstation 5 running SunOS 4.1.4 and fvwm V2.0.41
(I think that's what's installed).  The one thing that I just can
not get to work is the Backspace key in Netscape.  It works in all
other windows (well, xterms and FrameMaker is all I really use).

I've just read the man page for VirtualBindings and have tried to
set resources for both Netscape and xmbind to no avail.  I'm sure
it's something simple, but I just can not figure it out.

Has anyone else run into this problem?  Any idea what I need to
do to fix this?

Alfred
-- 
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Ma-Bell: H: 508.448.6214, W: 508.490.6306, fax: 508.460.2888 \
|  US Mail: Alfred von Campe, 402 Lowell Road, Groton, MA 01450  \
| Internet: [email-masked]                                 \
+------------------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Why is common sense so uncommon?   | I'd rather be flying N4381Q |
+------------------------------------+-----------------------------+
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: zinc <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 12:04:17 -0600

This is a motif problem.  I use this to work around it:

    xmodmap -e "keycode 22 = BackSpace"

    xmodmap -e "keycode 107 = Delete"

-pjf

-- 
"Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin (1773)
		   finger zinc-pgp@zifi for PGP key
zifi runs LINUX 2.0.29  -=-=-=WEB=-=-=->  http://zifi.genetics.utah.edu
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Raymond Toy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 14:00:41 -0400

>>>>> "Alfred" == Alfred von Campe <[email-masked]> writes:

    Alfred> I am using a SPARCstation 5 running SunOS 4.1.4 and fvwm
    Alfred> V2.0.41 (I think that's what's installed).  The one thing
    Alfred> that I just can not get to work is the Backspace key in
    Alfred> Netscape.  It works in all other windows (well, xterms and
    Alfred> FrameMaker is all I really use).

Try the following.  It's better, in some sense, than using xmodmap to
change the meanings of the backspace key.  Sometimes, you don't want
that at all.

Create a file called .motifbind in your home directory with the
following contents:

!  Modified to switch the meanings of backspace and delete
!
!  Sun Motif 1.2.3
!  Virtual Key Bindings
!
! "Sun Microsystems, Inc."
osfActivate     :               <Key>KP_Enter
osfCancel       :               <Key>Escape
osfHelp         :               <Key>Help
osfMenu         :Shift          <Key>F10
osfMenuBar      :               <Key>F10

osfLeft         :               <Key>Left
osfUp           :               <Key>Up
osfRight        :               <Key>Right
osfDown         :               <Key>Down

osfBeginLine    :               <Key>Home
osfEndLine      :               <Key>End

osfPageUp       :               <Key>Prior
osfPageDown     :               <Key>Next

osfBackSpace    :               <Key>Delete
! osfDelete     :               <Key>Backspace

osfInsert       :               <Key>Insert
osfUndo         :               <Key>Undo
osfAddMode      :Shift          <Key>F8
osfCopy         :               <Key>SunCopy
osfCut          :               <Key>SunCut
osfPaste        :               <Key>SunPaste

I suspect the important one is the osfBackSpace entry.  This change
will apply to all Motif apps, but none of your other apps.

Ray

---

From: Alfred von Campe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 08:44:42 -0400

I figured out what my problem was.  I was working on a project
recently where I needed to use the latest imake.  So I put X11R6
in my path before /usr/bin/X11.  The next time I logged in, mwm
crashed (that should have been my first clue that something was
wrong).  But I am the only one around here that uses mwm on SunOS
(I can't stand OpenLook), so I didn't have anyone to turn to to
figure out what the problem was.  So I copied an R5 mwm into my
local bin directory, and everything worked fine.

But then I bit the bullet and spent a day and a half configuring
fvwm (I've been wanting to try fvwm for a while, but I knew that
it would take me some time to configure it the way I wanted to).
Anyway, to make a long story short, after talking to my system
administrator and telling what I did (putting X11R6 in my path
before X11R5), he "upgraded" my workstation to X11R6 and Motif
1.2.4 by running some scripts that copied some libraries to the
correct places.  Suddenly the backspace key started working again
(and I suspect the mwm works now too).

If I had asked to be upgraded to X11R6, mwm would have probably
not failed, and I'd still be using it.  I'm glad that I finally
took the time to configure fvwm.  Now I'm suddenly not in a big
hurry anymore to upgrade my workstation to Solaris and CDE :-).

Thanks to all of you who responded to my query.

Alfred

---

From: aesop <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 13:20:12 -0400 (EDT)

I have this in my .xinitrc:

Hope this helps.

Dogbert: Has your electronic mail system made you more efficient?
Dilbert: In a way... Now I'm getting ignored at the speed of light.
						-- Scott Adams