Subject: FVWM: mwm like icons?

From: Alfred von Campe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 13:00:08 -0400

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I've tried to RTFM and
the FAQ and can't find the answer.  I'd like to get my icons to
behave the way they used to with mwm.  Basically, I want this:

  1. No icon box
  2. Specify where icons should go and in which direction they
     should "grow".

Specifically, I like the first icon to go in the top right corner
and have subsequent icons go to the left of that (i.e., I like the
icons to be at the top of the screen from right to left).  Is this
possible with fvwm?  If so, how?

Alfred
-- 
+------------------------------------------------------------+
| Phone: H: 508.448.6214, W: 508.490.6306, fax: 508.460.2888  \
|  Mail: Alfred von Campe, 402 Lowell Road, Groton, MA 01450   \
| Email: [email-masked]                                  \
+----------------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Why is common sense so uncommon? | I'd rather be flying N4381Q |
+----------------------------------+-----------------------------+
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 19:34:48 EDT

How can I make tkGoodStuff to pop out one button, 
when I click the otherone, and vise-versa?

( I'm using it to mount-umount a cdrom)

Is there a way a button can be pressed and look 
pressed until I click it again?

If there is no way to do it, how can I *automaticly*
mount and unmount CD when I hit EJECT _on
my CD Drive itself_?  I tried eject command, but it doesn't 
seem to work (it doesn't umount/mount a CD)

TIA,
Nikita.

P.s.   Thanks to all who replyed on my emacs' backup files 
removal...

P.P.s.  I'm looking for sample GoodStuff and FVWM files.

---

From: Martin Cartwright <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 10:01:59 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 27 May 1997, Alfred von Campe wrote:

->Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I've tried to RTFM and
->the FAQ and can't find the answer.  I'd like to get my icons to
->behave the way they used to with mwm.  Basically, I want this:
->
->  1. No icon box
->  2. Specify where icons should go and in which direction they
->     should "grow".
->
->Specifically, I like the first icon to go in the top right corner
->and have subsequent icons go to the left of that (i.e., I like the
->icons to be at the top of the screen from right to left).  Is this
->possible with fvwm?  If so, how?
->

This is in the manual but under the misleading heading of IconBox in
the Style commands. In my .fvwmrc I have the following as part of my
global style definition..

Style "*"      IconBox +0 +150 +200 +750

This specifies that all icons go in a region of the screen from 0,150
at top-left to 200,750 at bottom-right. However, despite being called
IconBox there is no box, this just defines an invisible boundary. The
icons fill up from left to right by default and as far as I know
there's no way to change this. 

[email-masked] --- http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~imc/vom.htm
-/-------------------------------------------------------------\-
|     	    "Alright! Let battle commence! Wine and ... 	|
|	     bananas! Bring on the dancing girls!"      	|
-\-------------------------------------------------------------/-

---

From: Jim Nicholson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 11:22:15 -0400

> pressed until I click it again?

BTW - This probably should be directed to the TkGoodstuff list (if
there is one), not the fvwm list...

 > seem to work (it doesn't umount/mount a CD)

One method I've used in the past is to do something like this:

AddToMenu "DiskOps" "Disk Operations" Title
+     "Mount CD" Exec exec su -c "mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/hdd /cdrom"
+     "Unmount CD" Exec exec su -c "umount /cdrom ; xcdeject"

NOTE: Don't do this exactly this way. Use sudo, or use a mount that
understands "user" in fstab. xcdeject is something I found somewhere
on the net; try a search. Using su like this relies on root having no
password, which is extremely evil.

Or, you could try using the automounter in
http://sunsite.unc.edu/system/misc/mount

although I have no experience with it.

---

From: Jim Nicholson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 11:22:15 -0400