Subject: FVWM: Fvwm focus / geometry control problems

From: "Stephen Riehm"<[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 17:31:23 +0200

Hello,

I had a neat idea, but it's been blown to hell due to implementation
problems.

I'm trying to make an application which automatically iconifies itself (in
fact, it

just shrinks the window, and moves itself to a predeturmined corner
somewhere)

when the application no longer has the focus, and automatically grows to
full

size again when the application gets the focus. This would be a neat
feature

to add to the windowlist for example!

Anyway, the problems I'm having are that the focus events get repeated (4
times

for each real FocusIn/FocusOut event), which causes the shrink event to get
called

4 times instead of once, and likewise the grow callback. If the user
decides to move the

window by dragging the title bar for example, then the focus is taken away
from the

application too - which with this example produces truly entertaining,
albeit useless, results.

On top of that, the geometry information doesn't seem to match up properly,
by asking

for and storing the current geometry before shrinking or growing, and then
re-using

the values that fvwm gives back, the window's geometry moves slowly to the
top left corner

of the screen.

To make it all a little more mysterious, these problems only happen on
fvwm. I tested the

program under mwm and it worked fine (although the resising bit didn't
quite work as expected.)

Any ideas?

Is there a way to "optimise" X events (preferably from fvwm directly)?

Has anyone else tried making a toy like this before?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].