Subject: FVWM: After Downloading

From: Benjamin Hicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 23:07:27 +1000 (EST)

I have downlaoded a version of fvwm and get the file fvwm-1.24r.tar.gz 
what do i do now.

I am able to remove the .gz by using gunzip but have no idea and have 
been unable to find out how the remove the .tar or what to do once I have 
done that.  

Also is there anywhere where i can get basic instructions on how fvwm 
works and how i implement it only my account or computer.

              Benjamin Hicks
       [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bruce Stephens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 14:26:37 +0100

[email-masked] said:
> I have downlaoded a version of fvwm and get the file 
> fvwm-1.24r.tar.gz  what do i do now. 

Delete it, and download fvwm-2.0.45.tar.gz?

[email-masked] said:
>  been unable to find out how the remove the .tar or what to do once I 
> have  done that.   

Use tar.  A suitable command is "tar xf fvwm-1.24r.tar".

>  works and how i implement it only my account or computer. 

I don't think so.  You're just supposed to know.  To be fair to writers of 
books and FAQs, almost every X installation is different in signficant enough 
ways to make it difficult to give useful advice, other than "ask your local X 
guru".  What is your machine, anyway?  If you gave more information, people 
could help more.  For example, if you're accessing a VMS machine using VT200 
terminals, then you can't use fvwm; if you're using a Linux machine, then 
you've probably already got fvwm, and if we know whether you're using xdm or 
not, we can offer help on changing your window manager.
-- 
Bruce Stephens	[email-masked]
Isode Ltd.	<URL:http://www.isode.com/>