Subject: FVWM: hooked on FONTics

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 18:36:43 -0400 (EDT)

Can anyone help me with my system font problem? I'm running out of ideas.
I have 2 similar Win 95 machines, and one works while the other doesn't.

The one that doesn't work experiences font substitutions (usually boxes, but
sometimes Greek!) both in Wordpad, Wordperfect 6.1 for Windows, Microsoft
Word 7, and even on the minimized icons on the taskbar. It also has this
problem on line, not on an AOL page, but often on a web page. It also
experiences system failures (like GPFs).

After months of working on it, I reformatted (3 times so far) and checked for
the problem as I loaded each program.
I thought there might be a software conflict between the HP 680 printer
and/or wordprocessors, even tho my 2nd machine has no such problem. However,
the problem occurs right after Windows 95 itself is loaded, even without the
printer software or any other programs.

I've checked the system files of each machine, and tried mimicing the working
machine (system.ini was different RE:  TTfonts). I've tried comparing the
booklogs of both, but still no clues. I've tried replacing the fonts. It
didn't work before, but I'm planning on trying it again. I changed the
display settings, and even switched video cards (a Trident for a Cirrus
Logic), no luck. I tried Norton Utilities, it assures me there is no problem.
I've scandisked, speeddisked and reasoned with the disk, all to no avail. The
BIOS settings look similar, but I'm not sure whether anything about fonts is
relevant there.

Here are the only differences. I've set them up with the problem machines
first/good machine 2nd.  Processor AMD-K5 99 mhz/Cyrix 6x86 110mhz set at
133mhz; 
American Megatrends BIOS/ Award Bios, Trident 649x480 in 256 colors
video/640x480 in 256 Colors/ Matrox MGA Millennium 640x480 256 color;  1.51
gb hardrive/1.19 gbhard drive. Both use the same Win95, from CD Rom

Problem machine had some differences in TTInitialCache and TTFontDimenCache
in System.ini, but adjusting them didn't affect this problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated. Thanks to those who have made
suggestions before, I have tried them and tried to report back, but so far
nothing has worked.
Please e-mail suggestions to [email-masked]   Thanks for your time and
expertise.
Best,       Chuck  on 5/18/97
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].