Subject: FVWM: FvwmButtons question

From: "Tim J. Ethen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 14:58:07 -0500

I've tried a couple of approaches which would come close to giving the
look and feel of what I'm looking for but so far I haven't even had
any luck getting those to work. 

The first thing I tried was to set up a style for the application 
(such as netscape) with NoIcon. This works great but I haven't been
able to find a function for de-iconifying except through WindowList.  
WindowId looks like it might be the function I need but I'm not sure 
how to figure out the window id.  

The other approach I've tried is to start the application during
startup with the -iconic switch and swallowing the result into a
button.  This resulted in a blank button and no action occurred when 
I clicked on the button.  

Any ideas on how to get one of these approaches to work?  Or is there
a different approach that works?

Thanks for any help or ideas,

Tim Ethen

-- 
Tim Ethen                 
Network Systems Corporation             E-mail: [email-masked]
7600 Boone Ave. N.                      Voice:  (612) 391-1088
Brooklyn Park, MN  55428                Fax:    (612) 391-1095
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 May 1997 09:32:31 +0200

>>>>> Tim J Ethen writes:

  Tim> The first thing I tried was to set up a style for the
  Tim> application (such as netscape) with NoIcon. This works great
  Tim> but I haven't been able to find a function for de-iconifying
  Tim> except through WindowList.  WindowId looks like it might be the
  Tim> function I need but I'm not sure how to figure out the window
  Tim> id.

I use the following keybinding to go to my mail reading window.

,-----
| Key i           A       4       Next [--Mail--] Function GoThere
| AddToFunc GoThere               "I" Iconify -1
| +                               "I" WarpToWindow 50 50
| +                               "I" Focus 
`-----

I'm pretty sure this can be adapted to work with buttons and Netscape.

You might also want to try FvwmIconMan which is somewhat like
FvwmWinList but groks MiniIcons, too, and is in general much cooler
than FvwmWinList.

kai
-- 
Life is hard and then you die.