Subject: FVWM: Error redirection

From: eyal elad <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 13:24:17 +0300 (IDT)

Good morning,

	Is there a way to redirect FVWM (95 for the matter) 's error
output so that it appears in a window? If I log on a console, I can use
xconsole. But I more often log from workstations.

 _
(_  /  _    /          ( E-mail pigeons nest in binary trees )
(__/__(/\_(/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 09:41:31 -0400

On Wed, 28 May 1997 13:24:17 +0300 (IDT)
eyal elad <[email-masked]> 
> xconsole. But I more often log from workstations.

One program I like is 'xsession'. Run it in foreground as the last client in
your X init file (.xinitrc, .xsession, or whatever) and it manages
your session, including startup of the window manager, e.g.:
  xsession -defaultWM fvwm2

This has a few benefits: it allows you to switch window manager on the
fly; if your WM fails (.fvwm2rc error, for example) you still get
your X clients and can switch into another WM (say twm) while you
fix the problem; it has a text pane that shows error messages, including
those from the WM.

It's probably at somewhere like ftp://ftp.x.org/pub/contrib/applications/
or your local X mirror.

Ric

Richard J Lister, Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC.
Phone: 202-687 2878
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/