Subject: FVWM: 2 questions

From: Morsy Cheikhrouhou <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 10:16:18 +0200

Hello everybody,

1. Our system administrator is maintaining a .fvwmrc for all the users who 
have links to that file. Thus, everyone has the same fvwm configuration which 
is automaticly apdated whenever needed. The problem is that I would like to 
have my own fvwm configuration, so I tried to create a .fvwmrc+ file in my 
home dir. But that doesn't work as it does for .bashrc+ and .emacsrc+ for 
example. Any tip to make fvwm take into account my .fvwmrc+ file ?

2. I am trying to configure my XFaces to make it "beep" when special mails 
arrive (My x terminal is not configured to play sounds, and a tip to make it 
produce sounds would be very appreciated). I used the "AfterCommandBindings" 
but that didn't work. I think I misused it, and the manual does not give much 
detail about that. So does any one know how to use the resources of XFaces, or 
how to make it run a command on a new mali?

	Here's what i put in my resources file :

XFaces.useCommand: True
XFaces.update: 30
XFaces.commandSearch: afterCommand
XFaces.afterCommandBindings: * "@" : xkbbell

We are using Fvwm Version 2.0.45 on SUN Ultra 1140 machines (Solaris). Most of 
users connect to these machines from their x terminals.

(Sorry for my English)

Thanks for any help

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Martin Cartwright <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 09:47:06 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 23 May 1997, Morsy Cheikhrouhou wrote:

->Hello everybody,
->
->1. Our system administrator is maintaining a .fvwmrc for all the users who 
->have links to that file. Thus, everyone has the same fvwm configuration which 
->is automaticly apdated whenever needed. The problem is that I would like to 
->have my own fvwm configuration, so I tried to create a .fvwmrc+ file in my 
->home dir. But that doesn't work as it does for .bashrc+ and .emacsrc+ for 
->example. Any tip to make fvwm take into account my .fvwmrc+ file ?
->
You should just call the file .fvwmrc for FVWM 1, or .fvwm2rc for
FVWM2, but it depends how it was compiled. But if placed in the your
home directory this should override the system file.

If this does not work you should try and find out from which file FVWM
is started. If you are using an X terminal it is probably a
.xsession file in your home directory, or a system .xsession file.
Somewhere in this file there will be a line something like 

/usr/local/bin/fvwm 1> $HOME/.fvwm-errs 2>&1 

that actually starts the window manager. If you modify it to 

/usr/local/bin/fvwm -f $HOME/.fvwmrc 1> $HOME/.fvwm-errs 2>&1

then it forces fvwm to read your config file. If it is a system
.xsession you will have to copy it to your home directory first.

(In case you were wondering the what the 1> $HOME/.fvwm-errs 2>&1 bit
is all about, it redirects all error mesages from fvwm to a file in
your home directory called .fvwm-errs. This is very useful when
experimenting with configurations and tracking down problems) 

->2. I am trying to configure my XFaces to make it "beep" when special mails 
->

Can't help with this one I'm afraid. Sorry.

By the way, your English is fine. I wish my French was that good.

[email-masked] - http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~imc/vom.htm
-/-----------------------------------------------------------\-
|  "The general procedure is to jump 200 feet in the air      |
|   and scatter yourself over a wide area"		      |
-\-----------------------------------------------------------/-

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 09:00:51 -0400 (EDT)

> example. Any tip to make fvwm take into account my .fvwmrc+ file ?

assuming the system RC  file is named system.fvwmrc, try naming your file
.fvwmrc ... If not, you can try naming it .fvwm2rc ...
			-peace

--- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK ------------+-----------
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) | "In the morning glad I see
P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K? w++++  |  My foe outstrech'd beneath the tree."
O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5   |               -The Poison Tree
X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>*  h*(!) r-  |                William Blake
y*(+) ------ END GEEK CODE BLOCK -----+

---

From: Morsy Cheikhrouhou <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 15:13:33 +0200

> .fvwmrc ... If not, you can try naming it .fvwm2rc ...

Thanks for everyone who tried to help, and sorry for being not clear. What I 
wanted is to keep the original .fvwmrc file, which is a link to the system rc 
file, and to define a .fvwmrc+ file, in which I can put my own preferences.

>From Martin's suggestion, i had a hint: I will try to call fvwm in this way :
fvwm -f "cat ~/.fvwmrc ~/.fvwmrc+"
I didn't try that yet, and I don't know what happens if there is conflicts 
within the rc and the rc+ files.

Thanks

  //////_______________________________________________________________________
   %%%%%| Morsy Cheikhrouhou                [email-masked]     |
 ////// |    PhD Student                        +33 (0) 4.93.00.26.48         |
  %%%%% | EURECOM Institute                     http://www.eurecom.fr         |
//////  | Corporate Communications       BP 193, 06904 Sophia Antipolis Cedex |
 %%%%%  |_____________________________________________________________________|
         ^_^  IF YOU WANT TO ATTAIN YOUR DREAMS, YOU MUST FIRST WAKEUP !   ^_^

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 09:25:24 -0400 (EDT)

> within the rc and the rc+ files.

Well, this probably won't work unless you copy the system default to your
home directory. Your best bet is to talk to the system administrator about
adding a line to the system fvwmrc that reads a users .fvwmrc+ file ...
Otherwise, just copy the system default file to your directory and modify
it to your liking.
			-peace

---

From: [email-masked] (David S. Goldberg)
Date: 23 May 1997 09:50:49 -0400

>>>>> Kendrick Vargas writes:

> Your best bet is to talk to the system administrator about adding a
> line to the system fvwmrc that reads a users .fvwmrc+ file ...

Why not try the opposite:

Put at the beginning of your own .fvwm2?rc a call to Read the system
file.  Then add your modifications.  One of the best features in the
later releases of 2.0.XX is the Destroy* suite of commands that allow
you to get rid of any functions etc in the system file and replace
them with your own without conflict.  This way you can get the best
(from your perspective) of the system file and your own tastes.  I
suppose it's not all that efficient to load in the system file if
you're only going to destroy everything and rewrite it, but if it's
just one or two Decors or functions or module configs, it can be a
real win.

> Otherwise, just copy the system default file to your directory and
> modify it to your liking.

The disadvantage of this is that if the administrator changes the
system file the user will have to do more work if the user wants those
changes.  In practice, though, it probably works just as well.  I
doubt there are very many admins who make lots of changes to
system.fvwmrc.

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]