Subject: FVWM: Is this an fvwm bug, or a Tk bug?

From: Robert Tarrall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 12:18:47 -0600

I tried posting the following to fvwm-workers but received no response,
so will try the (presumably larger) audience of the main fvwm list.
Anyone have any comments?

[fvwm 2.0.43, Tcl 8.0a2, Tk 8.0a2, IRIX 6.2]

I'm having problems with input focus when using Tcl/Tk 8.0a2 and fvwm2.0.43
together.  Things worked fine with pre-8.0 versions of Tcl/Tk, so I suspect
this is a Tcl/Tk bug rather than an fvwm bug, but I thought I'd run it by
you folks and see what people think.

I'm using MouseFocus, have "DeskTopSize 2x4", and have bound some keypad
keys to go to various pages on my desktop, i.e.:

Key KP_Home     A       N       GoToPage 0 0
Key KP_Up       A       N       GoToPage 1 0
[etc]

Now, say I have a wish window open on Page 0,0 and an xterm in approximately
the same position on Page 1,0, and I move the mouse into the wish window.
That window gets the input focus, as is appropriate.  If I now switch to
Page 1,0 using KP_Up, the mouse pointer is in the xterm... but input focus
is still in the (no longer visible) wish window.  Wish is the only
application I've found with this annoying habit of retaining the input
focus.

A little playing around with "xev" shows that in this situation the wish
window is probably receiving a FocusOut event, but not a LeaveNotify event...
whereas both events are generated if I switch desktops by moving the
mouse.   I'm guessing that wish is ignoring FocusOut events and only
obeying LeaveNotify events...

I've pretty much reached the limit of my meager X knowledge here.  Should
wish be smart enough to relinquish the input focus on the basis of a
FocusOut event?  Or is this an fvwm bug - should fvwm be sending LeaveNotify
to the current window when I switch to a different desktop page with a
GotoPage function?

                       -Robert Tarrall.-
                       Unix System/Network Admin
                       Laboratory for Computational Dynamics
                       CU - Boulder

------- End of Forwarded Message

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].