Subject: FVWM: 2.0.45 under AIX 4.1.4.0 cannot Exec.

From: Jakob Schiotz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 97 15:38:49 MET

Hi,

I have just compiled fvwm 2.0.45 for AIX 4.1.4.0 after using it for a
long time under SunOS.  

fvwm seem to work until it tries to Exec something.  Then it locks.
Swallowing anything except fwvm modules in FvwmButtons cause the same
lock.  Any ideas?

I had a problem compiling it, xmkmf complains:

[zeise] 4:fvwm-2.0.45>xmkmf
mv Makefile Makefile.bak
imake -DUseInstalled -I/usr/lib/X11/config
"./Imakefile", line 51.1: 1506-215 (E) Too many arguments specified for macro NamedTargetSubdirs.

Line 51 reads:
MakeSubdirs($(SUBDIRS))

Instead I used ./MakeMakefiles, it caused the same error in all
subdirectories, but Imake had done _something_, at least the libXpm
directory had successfully been put into the Makefiles, and fvwm
compiled without problems.

Any help will be appreciated.  I can live with mwm for a while,
but... :-)

Best regards,

Jakob

--
Jakob Schiotz                    !  Email: [email-masked]
CAMP, Department of Physics      !  WWW: http://www.fysik.dtu.dk/~schiotz/
Technical University of Denmark  !  
DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark          !  

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jakob Schiotz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 97 10:03:25 MET

I solved the problem.  The Imake problem went away when I compiled on
another machine.  The _real_ problem, that fvwm could not exec went
away when I removed the ExecUseShell line from my .fvwm2rc!  Maybe
fvwm2 does not like tcsh, maybe my tcsh is slightly broken.  At least
I could see with ps that tcsh was being called with the right
command line, but it didn't seem to do anything.  OTOH, when I invoked
tcsh manually with the same command line it worked.  Yet Another AIX
Bug or a tcsh/fvwm2 bug?  I don't know, but now everything works
fine for me...

Jakob