Subject: FVWM: FVWM + Emacs + Netscape --- intercommunication problems

From: Andrew Jaffe <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 May 1997 11:01:43 -0700

Hi,

I recently got FVWM 2.0.45 up on my Sun Ultra2 with Solaris 5.

Since then, I have been having a problem with communication between 
GNU Emacs 19.34 and Netscape 3.0.

When reading mail with VM, I used to be able to click the middle mouse
button on a URL and it would send a message to netscape to open that
URL. Since moving from olvwm (yuck!) to FVWM (yay!), this hasn't
worked. I get a message "Sending URL to Netscape... Done." but nothing
actually happens.

Again, as far as I know, the only change has been in the window manager!

Thanks,

Andrew

-- 
Andrew Jaffe___________________________________________________________ 
Center for Particle Astrophysics             [email-masked]
University of California, 301 LeConte Hall               (510) 642-7570
Berkeley, CA 94720                                        FAX    2-1756
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: -krt- <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 15:25:30 -0700 (PDT)

for the life of me I cannot remember how to do escape codes in a fvwmrc

for instance, I want to set the title of rxvt to include the version...

according to the faq, one does it by setting the title with the escape
sequence of "esc[8n" in it, which im assuming will turn into the version
number.. 

any ideas?  

^--------------------------------------->
| Aaron Beck, Unix Administrator.       |
| email: [email-masked] |
<---- ftsoy |m|, ----- Save Ferris! ----V

---

From: Mark Boyns <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 May 1997 07:18:55 -0700

> sequence of "esc[8n" in it, which im assuming will turn into the version

They are really called xterm escape sequences, which rxvt supports.
Here's an example for bash which sets the title and icon name.

xterm-title ()
{
    if [ -n "$1" ]
    then
        builtin echo -e -n "\033]2;$1\007"
    else
        builtin echo -e -n "\033]2;${WHOAMI}@${HOSTNAME}:${PWD}\007"
    fi	
}

xterm-icon ()
{
    if [ -n "$1" ]
    then
        builtin echo -e -n "\033]1;$1\007"
    else
        builtin echo -e -n "\033]1;${HOSTNAME}\007"
    fi	
}

cd ()
{
    if [ "$1" = "" ]
    then
        builtin cd
    else
        builtin cd "$@"
    fi

    if [ $TERM = "xterm" ]
    then
        xterm-title
        xterm-icon
    fi
}

---

From: "Ives Aerts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 17:08:48 -0600

On May 15, 11:01, Andrew Jaffe wrote:
> Subject: FVWM: FVWM + Emacs + Netscape --- intercommunication problems

It's not a direct solution for your problem, but I use a program called
xcb which should be available from all X archives. They way it works is
the following:

1) With the mouse, I highlight any URL on the screen (mail, text files,
...)
2) I press on a button in my Wharf (I'm using wharf with fvwm) that executes
   the following script:

    #!/bin/sh

    url=`xcb -S 0 && xcb -p 0`;
    remotescape $url;

   xcb prints the current selection on stdout, where it is captured by the
   script and fed into this second script:

    #!/bin/sh
    if [ $1 ]; then
    netscape -noraise -remote openURL\("$1",new-window\) >/dev/null 2>&1 \
            || exec netscape "$1" &
    else
            echo "Usage: $0 URL"
            exit 0
    fi

   This second script starts a new netscape window with the selected URL.

It works like a charm, and I prefer its orthogonality over other `integrated'
approaches (in true UNIX style, this works with *every* application).

Cheers,
-Ives
______________________________________________________________________
Ives Aerts (R&D Software engineer)           Sony Objective Composer
[email-masked]                       St.Stevens Woluwestr. 55
`Death could create most things, except for  B-1130 Brussels, Belgium
 plumbing.'                                  PHONE : +32 2 724 19 80
                  (Soul Music - T.Pratchett) FAX   : +32 2 726 26 86
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].