Subject: FVWM: handles

From: [email-masked] (sumeet singh)
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 19:43:57 +0800 (SGT)

Hi,
	Can anyone tell me the meaning of 'handles' ? I have no clue
as to what a handle is and how it is different from the border. Also
please explain the meanings of HandleWidth, BorderWidth and Frame.

	I have read the manuals.

thanks,
sumeet
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Apr 1997 13:45:36 +0200

>>>>> sumeet singh writes:

  Sumeet> Can anyone tell me the meaning of 'handles' ? I have no clue
  Sumeet> as to what a handle is and how it is different from the
  Sumeet> border.

A better word for handle would be "corner", I guess.  You see, when
you drag the edge of a window, you can resize it in one direction
(left/right or up/down).  When you drag the handle (or corner) of a
window, you can resize it in two directions (left/right and up/down).
The handle is that part of the border that is recognized as a corner.
You'll notice the mouse pointer shape changes in a handle as opposed
to the rest of the border.

kai
-- 
Why doesn't the sun come out at night when the light would come in handy?
(Terry Pratchett)

---

From: Thimo Jansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 05:52:21 +0200

> to the rest of the border.

Over here, the mouse pointer changes over the sides as well. :) So you
could say the border is a handle when it makes your mouse pointer look
different. I don't know what other differences there are with the normal
border, but with both you can resize the window. With handles you *know*
when you can click to resize (or do the other thing you defined).

Thimo

-- 
TeeJay signing off:  Avoid the Gates of Hell.  Use Linux
*** Finger for PGP PUBLIC KEY ***
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: David Nugent <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 23:24:04 +1000

On Fri Apr 11 13:45:36 EST 1997, Kai Grossjohann writes:
> (left/right or up/down).

On a related topic, I haven't been able to find any way of getting
FVWM to change the size or colouration of the size/move border. I
have been happy with it until a few days ago when I decided to do
my annual "reconfigure everything" trick, only to find that the
background I settled on makes the sizing border almost invisible.

I'm sure this is configurable though, but I can seem to find any
references to it anywhere (at least in fvwm, which is where I
would expect to find it).

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
[email-masked] [email-masked] http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].