Subject: FVWM: problems with fvwm2

From: Kenn Brodhagen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 15:37:00 -0500

I've been strugglin with fvwm2 for some time now and can't seem to get
it to load.  I have my .xinitrc file set up to call fvwm2 &, but when I
run startx, I don't have a wm.  At this point, I can try and manually
execute fvwm2, doing so, I get the following:

../icons/*.xpm sed: can't read ../icons/*.xpm No such file or directory
xpmtoppm: EOF / read error
ppmtogif: EOF / read error reading magic number
/usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm2: giftoppm: command not found
Performing quanitzation on 32 colors
usage: ppmquantall <new colors> <ppm file> <ppm file>...
Converting to xpm format again
*.ppm ppmtoxpm: *.ppm No such file or directory
Trying to fix transparent pixels in some files

Still no wm after this, although I do have an empty file called "*.xpm"
in my current dir.
Are these error messages part of the problem fvwm2 has starting, or
should they not be preventing its execution? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Kenn Brodhagen
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 16:21:42 -0500

> /usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm2: giftoppm: command not found

I  think the file /usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm2 is  some kind of shell that has
been  set  up  to  run   "quantize_pixmaps" from   the  fvwm2  "utils"
directory.

"quantize_pixmaps" is the  only  part of  the fvwm2 distribution  that
could generate these messsages.

I suggest that you look in  this shell to  find out where fvwm2 really
is and execute fvwm2 using its full path instead of this shell.

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].