Subject: Re: FVWM: FVWM for SGI

From: Robert Tarrall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 13:06:48 -0600

Lindsay Feuling wrote:
-> I'm about to attempt to use FVWM on an SGI.  I know SGI window managers
-> use several dot files to define ones session and layout characteristics,
-> but I'm a bit hazy on how to have my login on this machine use FVWM
-> rather than SGI's default window manager.

Create a .xinitrc shell script, executable permissions, something like:

#!/bin/sh 
#
# Try to save any errors we get
exec 1> ~user/.errs-xsess 2>&1
#
xrdb ~user/.Xdefaults
/usr/local/bin/fvwm2 1> ~/.fvwm-errs 2>&1

This should override all the 4Dwm setup stuff and call fvwm2 instead.  All
other setup is the same as on any other machine (e.g. .fvwm2 file).  Note
that if you're experimenting you'll want some way of getting to that .xinitrc
file without logging in on the console, since if that file is messed up you
may find yourself unable to fire up an X session at all until it's fixed.

                       -Robert Tarrall.-
                       Unix System/Network Admin
                       Laboratory for Computational Dynamics
                       CU - Boulder
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 15:32:46 -0400 (EDT)

> may find yourself unable to fire up an X session at all until it's fixed.

Don't foget the .disableDesktop !!!! Without it, IRIX won't even see the
.xinitrc ... with .xsession, however, it will see it, but it'll let you
know that it is executing it. Now, as for getting to your .xinitrc if
something goes wrong, just press "F1" (the function key) after you type
your passwd to log in, instead of pressing Carraige Return... Its a safe
login that'll pop up a single (rather large) xterm for you.
			-peace

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K?
w++++ O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5 X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>* 
h*(!) r- y*(+)
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
"Life is when you shake it" -- me