Subject: FVWM: Modal/Modeless Motif Dialogs!?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 12:01:02 +0100 (MET DST)

Hi,

 please don't blame me for the following:

 The Fvwm.tmpl allows to define -DMODALITY_IS_EVIL to totally disable
 motif applications ability to have modal dialogs.

 That's fine, but not the solution I think. From my point of view I
 expect a possibility to achieve correct handling of dialogs which
 might be either
 o XmDIALOG_SYSTEM_MODAL,
 o XmDIALOG_APPLICATION_MODAL,
 o XmDIALOG_FULL_APPLICATION_MODAL,
 o XmDIALOG_MODELESS or
 o XmDIALOG_WORK_AREA

 In practice using -DMODALITY_IS_EVIL makes live a little dangerous.
 Today, the 'default' fvwm2 seems to make no difference between
 FULL_APPLICATION_MODAL and APPLICATION_MODAL dialogs which is, I
 would say, to restrictive.
 
 Has anyone some remarks, hints or (best of all) a solution.

 Regards, Mic.
-- 
[email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
INCASES Engineering GmbH * Vattmannstr. 3 * D-33100 Paderborn * Germany
Michael Schaeder * Fon: +49-5251-150-625  * Email:  [email-masked]
                   Fax: +49-5251-150-700  *   [email-masked]
=======================================================================
****>>       Everything is in your head. - Remember that!        <<****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 14:40:37 +0100 (BST)

>  Has anyone some remarks, hints or (best of all) a solution.
There was a flame-fest a while back about modality.  There was almost consensus
that system-modality is evil.  Personally speaking, I don't want Fvwm
complicated with modality handling code.  If an application crashes because
it is relying on the window manager to enforce modality then the appplication
is defective IMHO.  There may be scope after 2.1 and the great style flag 
rewrite to build a module that manages modality (maybe a SmartFocus module
that would allow sloppy-focus to be controlled such that moving the mouse
to an application window would move the focus to the relevant dialog box etc.)

Cheers,
Tim Phipps.