Subject: FVWM: fvwm and the year 2000

From: Ronald A Slusser <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Apr 1997 11:15:02 -0700

I suppose that this is an obvious question, but I checked the FAQs and 
     didn't see that anyone had asked it before:
     
     Is fvwm year 2000 compliant?
     
     Thanks!
     
          --> Ron
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Apr 1997 10:17:16 +0200

>>>>> Ronald A Slusser writes:

  Ron>      Is fvwm year 2000 compliant?

I *knew* somebody would ask this...  Well, in Unix time is measured in
seconds since Epoch (Jan 1, 1970, midnight).  32 bit integers will run
out in 2038 or so, so you ought to have bought a 64 bit machine by
then :-)

The year-2000 problem doesn't arise because there is no place where
times are stored as a two-digit year value.

Am I wrong?

kai
-- 
Why doesn't the sun come out at night when the light would come in handy?
(Terry Pratchett)

---

From: "Randy J. Ray" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 12:15:34 -0600

> times are stored as a two-digit year value.

More to the point, fvwm is 2K compliant because no *calculations* are done on
dates that may have been stored in abbreviated format (Year 2K worries are
really big in the tele-coms these days).

>From my brief look at the source, the only places I see time being noted are
timestamps on events and on packets sent to modules. All of these times are
being recorded and transmitted as raw values returned from the C library, so
there should be no Year 2K problems in fvwm.

Randy
--
===============================================================================
Randy J. Ray -- U S WEST Technologies IAD/CSS/DPDS         Phone: (303)595-2869
                Denver, CO                                     [email-masked]
"It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept." --Calvin
===============================================================================
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Hechinger)
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 11:00:02 -0400 (EDT)

Randy J. Ray said...
> really big in the tele-coms these days).

you're telling me!!!  we are having no end of trouble due to the yr2000
issue.  the OS that runs on the 3b2 (outdated version of SysV) breaks in
3 years.  we support two product, on runs on the sparc series amd the other
runs on the 3b2, guess what we have to re-write before 2000??  *sigh*

-brian

Brian Hechinger					Email: [email-masked]
Customer Support				Phone: 614.575.6350 x 140
AIC Projects CSF				Pager: 614.250.7076
Columbus, Ohio					FAX:   614.224.1935
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].