Subject: FVWM: window placement

From: cobal <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 22:29:24 -0400

Hi

I hope this request for info is acceptable - please let me know if it
isn't.  

I'm using FVWM 1.xx that came with my distribution.  It's throwing
windows taller and wider than the current page.  In netscape this is
particulary bad - the mail window is so tall - I have to jump to the
adjoining page and shrink the mail window (usually 3 or 4 inches) with
the title bar.

Am I doing somthing wrong?  Am I overlooking a fix?  Thanks.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bud Rogers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 11:08:30 -0500 (CDT)

> Am I doing somthing wrong?  Am I overlooking a fix?  Thanks.

No, you're not doing anything wrong.  You just need a little information 
you haven't found yet.

Most applications will allow you to specify the size and placement of
their windows.  I don't have the information handy right now, but I think
if you man fvwm and look at the section on geometry you'll find what you
need. 

Also take a look at the Netscape app-defaults file.  I think there are
geometry entries in there -- just edit them to taste.

--
Bud Rogers <[email-masked]>

---

From: Thimo Jansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 07:21:50 +0200

On 20 Apr 1997, Bud Rogers ([email-masked]) wrote:

[snip]
> if you man fvwm and look at the section on geometry you'll find what you

You can set geometry and other program settings in your ~/.Xdefault file.
Here's a part of it:

Netscape*Navigator.geometry:    =730x740
Netscape*Mail.geometry:         =730x740
Netscape*News.geometry:         =730x740
Netscape*Composition.geometry:  =730x740
Netscape*bookmarks.geometry:    =500x740-1+0
Netscape*blinkingEnabled:       False
Netscape*defaultBackground:     White

xkeycaps.geometry:              780x390
pixmap.geometry:                700x720
Xedit*geometry:                 650x550+0+0

I haven't yet found out what the exact difference is between using a "*"
or a ".", but what the h@#$, it's working... ;)

Hope this helps...

Thimo Jansen
-- 
TeeJay signing off:  Avoid the Gates of Hell.  Use Linux
*** Finger for PGP PUBLIC KEY ***
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: David Nugent <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 04:00:00 +1000 (EST)

On 21-Apr-97 Thimo Jansen wrote:
 > I haven't yet found out what the exact difference is between
 > using a "*" or a ".", but what the h@#$, it's working... ;)

A "*" is a wildcard. If, for example, the exact resource string
was:

        xkeycaps.window1.widget2.hsize

Then this would match:

        xkeycaps*widget2.hsize: 50
  and
        xkeycaps*widget2*hsize: 50
  but not
        xkeycaps.hsize: 50

In fact, "*" can match not only '.', but any character. So

        xkeycaps*size:  50

matches any resource string that starts with "xkeycaps" and
ends with "size". Obviously, you have to be a little careful
with that. similarly, if you wanted to match all widgets on
a particular window, then you can:

        xkeycaps*widget*.hsize: 50

Same thing with fonts too, btw. It is sort of a very primitive
(glob-like) string matching method that is much cheaper than
regular expressions.

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507 
3:632/348@fidonet [email-masked]
[email-masked]://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].