Subject: FVWM: stack-trashing buffer overrun

From: [email-masked] (Aaron M. Ucko)
Date: 19 Apr 1997 01:50:32 -0400

I switched to fvwm 2.0.45 from fvwm 1 recently, and encountered a very
annoying problem: fvwm2 would segfault whenever I tried to start a
module.  Further investigation revealed that this was because my paths
were long, causing message to overflow in SendDataToModule in read.c
when I tried to start a module.

[Note: I do not read either of these lists, so please send me a copy
of all replies.  Thanks.]

-- 
Aaron M. Ucko ([email-masked]) | For Geek Code, PGP public key, and other info,
finger [email-masked]. | "Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous.
Do not attempt it in your home." -- T. Pratchett & N. Gaiman, _Good Omens_
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Jacob Morzinski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 03:42:15 EDT

On Sat, 19 Apr 1997, [email-masked] (Aaron M. Ucko) wrote:
[[ A tale of paths that were too long, which overflowed
fixed-length buffers in SendDataToModule in read.c ]]

Hello,

I'm the person who installed the local copy of fvwm2, which
is why I'm following up to Aaron's message.

As a short term solution to this problem, I could recompile our
version of fvwm2 to use a fixed-length buffer of greater length.
A better solution might be to come up with a correct way to pass
information into pipes.

I haven't programmed enough myself to know what the correct way to
do this is.  Is there a Right Way to pass variable-length data from
one process to another?

Thanks,
-- 
 Jacob Morzinski                                [email-masked]