Subject: FVWM: FvwmButtons vs TkGoodstuff

From: "Mike Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Apr 97 05:15:42 -0700

I've been running Fvwm2 for several months now with no problems and have 
recently found TkGoodstuff. 
 
After looking at TkGoodstuff it appears that it does almost exactly the same 
thing as FvwmButtons. 
 
Can anyone give me a reason why I would want to use one utility over the other? 
 
The only thing that I see different is that TkGoodstuff provides a preferences 
manager instead of manually having to edit the .fvwm2rc file. 
 
I have preferred so far to use FvwmButtons since it is a part of fvwm and 
therefore I don't have to manage 2 programs and keep 2 config files etc..., 
however, if there are advantages of using TkGoodstuff I'd be glad to use it. 
 
A comparision between the 2 tools would be great! 
 
Please email me directly as I am not getting all mailing list mail. 
 
Thanks, 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
Mike Campbell 
Oracle Technical Support Analyst	Phone: 407-888-3786 
5955 T.G. Lee Blvd., Suite 400		Fax:   407-851-9093 
Orlando, FL 32822			Email: [email-masked] 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 30 Apr 1997 08:38:34 -0400

%% "Mike Campbell" <[email-masked]> writes:

  mc> I've been running Fvwm2 for several months now with no problems and have 
  mc> recently found TkGoodstuff. 
 
  mc> After looking at TkGoodstuff it appears that it does almost
  mc> exactly the same thing as FvwmButtons.

This is not actually true.

TkGoodstuff:
  - Has the preferences manager, as you pointed out.  This is actually
    pretty nice.

  - Is written in TCL/Tk, and has a number of embedded applications like
    webster, ical monitor, load monitor, pager of sorts, clock, network
    uptime monitor, notetaker, etc.  Since they're all more-or-less
    embedded, they don't take up extra process space/memory--of course,
    the tcl/tk interpreter itself is no small puppy :)

  - You need to install the right version of tcl/tk before you can use
    it.

FvwmButtons:
  - Is much a smaller app

  - But it must launch a separate program for everything: clock,
    etc. etc. so it may well turn out to use more resources, depending
    on what you use.

  - Is more flexible and configurable than TkGoodstuff: for example, in
    my version of TkGoodstuff (which isn't the latest) you can bind
    actions only to mouse-1 clicks.  In FvwmButtons you can bind to all
    kinds of events.

  - Gets the window geometry and icon placement correct more often
    (although TkGoodstuff is improving a lot here).

  - Doesn't need tcl/tk :)

I use TkGoodstuff right now, but I haven't thrown out my FvwmButtons
config yet...

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     These are my opinions--Bay Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].