Subject: Re: FVWM: help fvwm ... What am I doing wrong ?

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Apr 1997 11:40:27 +0200

>>>>> Mick Morrow (MCSC) writes:

  Mick> I'm trying to install fvwm for the first time - but I'm not
  Mick> sysadmin or root.  I've been through th FAQ's but I couldn't
  Mick> find any answers that look a basic as my problems !

First, did you run "xmkmf" before doing "make install"?

Second, have you set the OPENWINHOME environment variable (to
/usr/openwin, I guess)?  Seems that your Makefile includes directories
to search that do not contain the /usr/openwin prefix.  For example,

  Mick> mv Makefile Makefile.bak
  Mick> imake -I/usr/lib/X11/config
  Mick> makedepend -s "# DO NOT DELETE" -- -I. -I/libs -I/include
                                                       ^^^^^^^^^^

This should probably be "-I/usr/openwin/include".

  Mick>   -DSVR4 -DSYSV -DSHAPE -DACTIVEDOWN_BTNS -DINACTIVE_BTNS
  Mick>   -DMINI_ICONS -DVECTOR_BUTTONS Mick> -DPIXMAP_BUTTONS
  Mick>   -DGRADIENT_BUTTONS -DMULTISTYLE -DEXTENDED_TITLESTYLE Mick>
  Mick>   -DBORDERSTYLE -DUSEDECOR -DWINDOWSHADE -DXPM -- ClientMsg.c
  Mick>   GetFont.c Grab.c Mick> Module.c Parse.c Picture.c Strings.c
  Mick>   System.c envvar.c safemalloc.c Mick> sleep.c wild.c

kai
-- 
A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.
(BFBS Radio)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Mick Morrow (MCSC)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 05:25:58 +0100

A little further down the track ...

I did just as you suggested - I had missed the step run "xmkmf;make Makefiles"
and just ran ./MakeMakefiles instead. OOPs !

But now the install fails 'cause it can't find add_window.c.

Should this be part of the tar file or already on my machine ?

Ta,

Mick.

sphinx% uname -a
SunOS sphinx 5.3 Generic_Patch sun4d sparc
sphinx%
sphinx% make install
installing in ./libs...
install in ./libs done
installing in ./fvwm...
cc -O -xF -DSYSV -DSVR4 -xF -Wa,-cg92   -I. -I../libs  -I/include  -DSVR4
-DSYSV   -DSHAPE -DACTIVEDOWN_BTNS -DINACTIVE_BTNS -DMINI_ICONS
-DVECTOR_BUTTONS -DPIXMAP_BUTTONS -DGRADIENT_BUTTONS -DMULTISTYLE
-DEXTENDED_TITLESTYLE -DBORDERSTYLE -DUSEDECOR -DWINDOWSHADE -DXPM   -c
 add_window.c
ucbcc: Warning: Option -Wa,-cg92 passed to ld, if ld is invoked, ignored
otherwise
"add_window.c", line 225: invalid token: ##
"add_window.c", line 252: warning: integer overflow detected: op "<<"
"add_window.c", line 380: invalid token: ##
"add_window.c", line 382: invalid token: ##
"add_window.c", line 477: invalid token: ##
"add_window.c", line 493: invalid token: ##
"add_window.c", line 506: invalid token: ##
"add_window.c", line 525: invalid token: ##
*** Error code 2
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `add_window.o'
Current working directory /home/morrowm/fv_stuff/fvwm-2.0.45/fvwm
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install'
sphinx%
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Apr 1997 09:38:19 +0200

>>>>> Mick Morrow (MCSC) writes:

  Mick> cc -O -xF -DSYSV -DSVR4 -xF -Wa,-cg92   -I. -I../libs -I/include
                                                              ^^^^^^^^^^

This is still wrong.

kai