Subject: FVWM: read function

From: [email-masked] (Graeme McCaffery)
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 13:58:04 +0100 (BST)

where is the read function defined?

I found the function that reads the fvwmrc file in read.c but I can't find
the function that allows individual files to be read during normal operation.

I'm trying to hack a little bit of code and introduce a new envirmonet variable
FVWMHOME so that I can store all my fvwm file in a single directory such as
CDE does. if anyone has already done this could they let me know.

thanks
Graeme

-- 
email: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 09:31:39 -0400

> where is the read function defined?

In functions.c:

  {"Read",         ReadFile,         F_READ,                FUNC_NO_WINDOW},

> the function that allows individual files to be read during normal operation.

Looks to me like ReadFile is used for .fvwm2rc and the "read" command,
and piperead.

> I'm   trying  to hack  a  little  bit of code   and introduce  a new
> envirmonet variable FVWMHOME so that I can store all my fvwm file in
> a single directory such as CDE does. if anyone has already done this
> could they let me know.

If  you look  at ReadSubFunc (read.c),  it looks  like if the filename
doesn't start with a slash, it tries $HOME, and if that fails it tries
FVWMDIR.

I believe you get some environment variable expansion if you use M4 or
cpp.  But some builtin expansion would be nice.

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Graeme McCaffery)
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 17:45:10 +0100 (BST)

> cpp.  But some builtin expansion would be nice.

on this subject: is there a nice string function that will strip a variable
from a path name and replace it with the value of that variable.

e.g

$HOME/bin  with /home/orion/mccaffer/bin

I'm trying to give fvwm the ability to expand variables when reading files.

Graeme

---

From: Lindsay Feuling <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 12:58:02 -0500

I'm about to attempt to use FVWM on an SGI.  I know SGI window managers
use several dot files to define ones session and layout characteristics,
but I'm a bit hazy on how to have my login on this machine use FVWM
rather than SGI's default window manager.

Any clues?

Thanks.
L. Feuling
mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: David Aspinwall <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Apr 1997 11:32:07 -0700

>>"feuling" == Lindsay Feuling <[email-masked]> writes:

> rather than SGI's default window manager.

Question 35 of the SGI graphics FAQ says this (some long lines
wrapped):

================================================================
You must use a .xsession file and explicitly invoke the window manager
and any other applications you want to use, such as 'toolchest' and 'xwsh'. 

After making this change, you may only be able to log out by using the
"Log Out" selection in the toolchest, or by executing /usr/bin/X11/endsession. 

Here are the contents of a sample .xsession file:

xhost + & toolchest -name ToolChest > /dev/console 2&>1 & \
   winterm -bg red & winterm -bg blue & mwm >/dev/console 2&>1 & \
   /usr/bin/X11/reaper 

Note that 'reaper' is not put into the background. When 'reaper' exits
you will be logged out.

Alternatively, you can do the following steps:

1. cp /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession ~/.xsession

2. Remove the lines in ~/.xsession that say:

if [ -r $xsession -a "$0" != $xsession ]; then
  if [ -x $xsession ]; then exec $xsession else exec /bin/sh $xsession fi
fi 

3. Change the line that says

/usr/bin/X11/4Dwm >/dev/console 2>&1 & 

to 

/usr/bin/X11/mwm > /dev/console 2>&1 & 
================================================================

Just change mwm to fvwm2, etc., and note the part about having to
run endsession.
The FAQ is at <URL: http://www.sgi.com/Archive/FAQs/graphics/>
-- 
David Aspinwall	[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 15:26:28 -0400 (EDT)

> rather than SGI's default window manager.

First thing you want to do is create a .xinitrc which is simply a shell
script that run's fvwm ... Make sure to set variables like
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH if you compiled against shared libraries that aren't in
the usual places (usually libXpm4.8.so or something). Then, at the end of
the file, just "exec fvwm" or fvwm2, or whatever.

Then just create a file (empty or not, doesn't matter, as long as the file
exhists) that is call .disableDesktop ... This file lets IRIX know to
aviod running it's own desktop and to run the .xinitrc instead ... have a
ball.
			-peace

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K?
w++++ O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5 X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>* 
h*(!) r- y*(+)
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
"Life is when you shake it" -- me