Subject: FVWM: Solaris 2.5.1

From: [email-masked] (Brian Hechinger)
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 16:23:48 -0400 (EDT)

after deleting everything and choosing not to bother with fvwm i've changed
my mind and have descided to take the time to get it going.  so i figured
i'd start with libXpm so i get fancy neato color icons and stuff.  well,
it isn't going so well.  (big suprise)

making xpm-3.4g

root@blackhole> pwd
/user/xpm-3.4g
root@blackhole> xmkmf
mv Makefile Makefile.bak
imake -I/usr/lib/X11/config
root@blackhole> make Makefiles
making Makefiles in lib...
make[1]: Entering directory `/user/xpm-3.4g'
/bin/sh: .././config/imake/imake: not found
make[1]: *** [lib/Makefile] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/user/xpm-3.4g'
make[1]: Entering directory `/user/xpm-3.4g/lib'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `Makefiles'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/user/xpm-3.4g/lib'
{does the same for sxpm}

how do i tell it where imake really is?  how do i get it to use the correct
config directory? 

thanks,

-brian

Brian Hechinger					Email: [email-masked]
Customer Support				Phone: 614.575.6350 x 140
AIC Projects CSF				Pager: 614.250.7076
Columbus, Ohio					FAX:   614.224.1935
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Andrew J Cosgriff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 08:32:13 +1000

"Brian" == Brian Hechinger <[email-masked]> writes:

Brian> after deleting everything and choosing not to bother with fvwm
Brian> i've changed my mind and have descided to take the time to get
Brian> it going.  so i figured i'd start with libXpm so i get fancy
Brian> neato color icons and stuff.  well, it isn't going so well.
Brian> (big suprise)

Brian> making xpm-3.4g

Brian> root@blackhole> pwd
Brian> /user/xpm-3.4g
Brian> root@blackhole> xmkmf
Brian> mv Makefile Makefile.bak imake -I/usr/lib/X11/config
Brian> root@blackhole> make Makefiles
Brian> making Makefiles in lib... make[1]: Entering directory
Brian> `/user/xpm-3.4g' /bin/sh: .././config/imake/imake: not found
Brian> make[1]: *** [lib/Makefile] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory
Brian> `/user/xpm-3.4g' make[1]: Entering directory
Brian> `/user/xpm-3.4g/lib' make[1]: *** No rule to make target
Brian> `Makefiles'. Stop. make[1]: Leaving directory
Brian> `/user/xpm-3.4g/lib' {does the same for sxpm}

Brian> how do i tell it where imake really is?  how do i get it to use
Brian> the correct config directory?

It's a Solaris bug (it's been there at least since 2.3, which was the
first version of Solaris I ever used), and it'll bite you on any
program that uses imake and has subdirectories with Imakefiles
(ie. xpm, fvwm and so on). On line 674 of
/usr/openwin/lib/config/Project.tmpl [1], you'll see a line saying

IMAKE = $(IMAKESRC)/imake

- IMAKESRC is later defined as $(CONFIGSRC)/imake,
ie. /usr/openwln/lib/config/imake, which is wrong.

So the fix is to either make a symlink to imake in
/usr/openwin/lib/config or (probably better) change the above line to
say

IMAKE = $(BINDIR)/imake

(or something similar, that works)

Enjoy,
 Andrew

Footnotes: 
[1]  This may be slightly inaccurate, as I've changed jobs since I
worked all this out, and while we have a solaris box here, it's not
one I do any compiling on normally, so I'm just guessing from looking
at the file.  As such, make sure you backup Project.tmpl first !

-- 
 - Andrew J. Cosgriff -                  [email-masked]    (PGP/MIME ok)
 +61 3 9905 1165 (bh) 9905 4746 (fax)    http://www-personal.monash.edu.au/~ajc
         If I felt any more SOPHISTICATED I would DIE of EMBARRASSMENT
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Hechinger)
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 10:42:12 -0400 (EDT)

Andrew J Cosgriff said...
> at the file.  As such, make sure you backup Project.tmpl first !

it probably also doesn't help that xmkmf is looking in /usr/lib/X11/config
instead of /usr/openwin/lib/config, if i manually invoke imake and tell it
to look in the right place it seems to work just fine.

stupid solaris.

-brian