Subject: FVWM: Gripe: lack of archive patches

From: Chris Laas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 15:42:57 -0500 (EST)

<gripe>
Every time I go to download the latest FVWM-2 beta, I look at the
monster size and say "nah...  I'll do it later."  As a result, I'm
still all the way back at 2.0.43 (prehistoric, when it comes to
development...).
</gripe>

<proposal>
Patches (preferably unified diffs) should be available for downloading.
</proposal>

<apology>
Does someone already maintain an archive of these patches?  If so, it
would be really nice if they were merged with the main site...
</apology>

<obligatory offer :) >
If no one at all is willing to do this, then I'll do it myself for the
benefit of everyone else...  Though it'll certainly waste bandwidth,
since I'll have to download each new release and upload each patch (and
28.8 is molasses); and it certainly won't help my problem :)
</obligatory offer>

--Chris

-- 
... and to assume, among the powers of the earth, the separate and
equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle
them...
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Prologue, "Declaration of Independence"
______________________________________________________________________
Chris Laas:  Unix, C++, Perl, Tcl/Tk / mailto:[email-masked]
Limit[tech->Inf](words/acronyms)==0 / http://www.cybercom.net/~chrisl/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 Apr 1997 16:01:55 -0600

>>>>> "CL" == Chris Laas <[email-masked]> writes:

CL> Every time I go to download the latest FVWM-2 beta, I look at
CL> the monster size and say "nah...  I'll do it later."

If you don't want to slow down your evening surfing, use the magic of UNIX:

echo "ncftp ftp://ftp.hpc.uh.edu/pub/fvwm/version-2/fvwm-2.0.45.tar.gz" | at 5:00am

CL> Patches (preferably unified diffs) should be available for downloading.

If somebody gives me patches, I'll put them up.  If anyone says that I can
trust cvs import and cvs diff to give good patches, I'll whip them out
right away.  I don't know how it reacts to moved or deleted files, though.

 - J<