Subject: FVWM: FvwmButtons: Swallowed apps and Actions

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Apr 1997 20:21:16 +0200

Hi,

I've got my FvwmButtons set up so that it swallows xbiff in one
button.  I'd like to have something happen when I hit a button in the
xbiff, so I used the following config line:

,-----
| # continuation line for easier reading only                       
| *FvwmButtons(1x1, Action "Exec exec xfrom", \                     
|              Swallow XBiff "Exec exec xbiff -geometry =48x48+0+0")
`-----

But, alas, it doesn't work: a mouse click is passed on to the xbiff.

I would also be happy if you told me of a program that can produce a
list of messages when you click on it.  I know of xmultibiff, but it
only shows the number of messages, no nice icon like xbiff does.

Also, if you had an xbiff that could ignore certain mails (such as
those from the Debian mailing list) I'd be very glad.

kai
-- 
Why doesn't the sun come out at night when the light would come in handy?
(Terry Pratchett)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 15:31:38 -0400

The easiest way to ignore messages is to filter mail on receipt
(using, e.g., procmail).

A biff that handles multiple mailboxes, produces lists of
messages, has nice icons, etc., is included with tkgoodstuff.

 http://www-personal.umich.edu/~markcrim/tkgoodstuff

Mark

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Apr 1997 11:22:15 +0200

>>>>> Kai Grossjohann writes:

  Kai> Also, if you had an xbiff that could ignore certain mails (such
  Kai> as those from the Debian mailing list) I'd be very glad.

Well, the answer is RTFM.  The standard xbiff can do this :-)  There
is an X ressource "checkCommand" which I set to the following shell
script, and now xbiff is ignoring Debian mails :-)

,-----
| #!/bin/sh
| if ( from | egrep -v 'debian' >/dev/null 2>&1 )
| then
|     exit 0;
| else
|     exit 2;
| fi
`-----

Obviously it is very easy to customize.

I'd still like to have a list of messages, though, preferrably by
pressing the button that has swallowed xbiff.

kai

---

From: Markus Gutschke <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Apr 1997 09:30:55 +0200

> those from the Debian mailing list) I'd be very glad.

Install "procmail" to automatically sort your mailinglists into a
different spool file. Then "xbiff" won't see the new messages that
arrive on the list.

Markus

-- 
Markus Gutschke          Internet:       [email-masked]
Schlage 5a               PGP public key: finger -l [email-masked]
D-48268 Greven-Gimbte
Germany                            >>> I prefer encrypted e-mail <<<

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Apr 1997 14:53:40 +0200

>>>>> Markus Gutschke writes:

  Markus> Install "procmail" to automatically sort your mailinglists
  Markus> into a different spool file. Then "xbiff" won't see the new
  Markus> messages that arrive on the list.

I think installing xbiff *only* to ignore a few mails is overkill.  I
RTFM'd and found that the "checkCommand" ressource is grokked by
xbiff:

,----- from ~/.Xdefaults
| XBiff*checkCommand:     /home-local/grossjoh/bin/check-for-new-mail
| XBiff*onceOnly:         true
| XBiff*update:           5
`-----

,----- ~/bin/check-for-new-mail
| if ( from | egrep -v 'debian' >/dev/null 2>&1 )
| then
|     exit 0;
| else
|     exit 2;
| fi
`-----

This works dandy, and it's simple to add to the egrep, too.

I already use the nifty mail splitting functions from Gnus and I'm so
happy with them that I don't want anything else.

kai