Subject: FVWM: fvwm 1.24r on Linux segfaults on the following

From: Steve Hsieh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 15:09:25 -0500 (EST)

Below is a fragment of a .fvwmrc file which works fine on SunOS/Solaris
fvwm 1.24r.  But when run it on Linux fvwm 1.24r, I get an error.
It's the backquotes that is the problem. Maybe someone knows the problem
or can offer a solution?

<---- fragment of .fvwmrc ----->
# Personal items
Popup "My Utilities"
        Title   "My Utilities"
        Exec    "Xterm"         exec xterm -n "`hostname|cut -f1 -d.`" -T "`hostname`" -e tcsh &
EndPopup
<------------------------------>

On debian linux this results in the message
    "NONE:0: m4: ERROR: EOF in string"
and then a fvwm segmentation fault.

Is there a problem with linux fvwm and what is being passed to m4, or does
the problem lie solely with linux's gnu m4? 

Thanks for any pointers.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Steve Hsieh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 17:27:00 -0500 (EST)

Thanks to everyone who was so quick to respond to my problem. 
It turns out that Debian Linux fvwm was compiled to use m4 by default, and
so the quotes were causing problems when m4 was called.  

Calling fvwm with -no-m4 solved the problem.  Alternatively, it's been
pointed out that I can redefine how m4 quotes literals and this is even
mentioned in the man page (now that I know what the problem is).

Thanks again to all.

Steve