Subject: FVWM: FvwmPager: won't reflect window movements

From: Hrvoje Niksic <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Apr 1997 09:26:16 +0200

[I am not on the list; please keep me in the CC]

I have just made the transition from the ancient fvwm-1.24 to fvwm2.
After an hour of RTFM-ing, I've successfully (re)created a .fvwm2rc
file, and I am quite satisfied with the whole experience.  fvwm2 is
great.

To the problem at hand: in fvwm-1 when I moved the windows, the pager
(I'm not sure if it was the builtin or the external pager) used to
reflect the window movements *while I was doing them*.  fvwm2 doesn't
seem to do so.

For example, in fvwm1 I would move a window around by its title bar,
and watched interactively the placement of its small mirror image in
the pager, which would help me decide where to put it.  In fvwm2 the
pager is updated only after I release the window.

Is this a bug, or a slight design deficiency between the fvwm core and
FvwmPager module?  Is it possible to retain the old fvwm1 behaviour in
that respect?

-- 
Hrvoje Niksic <[email-masked]> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
"Silence!" cries Freydag. "I did not call thee in for a consultation!" 
"They are my innards! I will not have them misread by a poseur!"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (David S. Goldberg)
Date: 07 Apr 1997 09:55:53 -0400

Some time in the last year, Henrique Martins posted a patch that
"fixed" this.  Here's some URLs on the subject in the mailing list
archive:

<URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/9602/msg00262.html>

That was the first posting (as far as I can tell) of that patch.  I
don't know if there were any updates.

<URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/9604/msg00089.html>

That one is a jumbo patch to 2.0.42 that includes the window move
patch, but you probably don't want the whole thing since some of the
features were included in later releases in different ways.  However,
if there were any changes to the patch in question, this is, I think,
the latest instance of it.

<URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/9604/msg00094.html>
<URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/9604/msg00102.html>

The last two describe a problem that I also experienced.  It appears
to be a bad interaction with the openwin server since other X servers
seem to work OK according to other messages in the thread.

Also, note that the patch in question was designed for 2.0.42.  I have
no idea if it'll patch cleanly to 2.0.45.

hth,

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (David S. Goldberg)
Date: 07 Apr 1997 10:43:53 -0400

OK, so I'm curious.  Probably inherited it from my cats.  I did a
further search and I am pretty sure this is the last word on the
moving windows patch in the list archive:

<URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/9611/msg00169.html>

It took a bit of work to patch into 2.0.45.  fvwm/modules.h and
fvwm/move.c needed to be done partly by hand.  It still doesn't work
for me on Solaris 2.5 with the openwin server (same problem as before:
the pager goes through the moves after mouse release).  If you don't
use openwin, you may be OK with it though.  I hesitate to post the
stuff I had to do by hand as a patch because my tree is already
heavily patched and I'm not sure what other cruft would end up in
there.

---

From: Hrvoje Niksic <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Apr 1997 18:05:01 +0200

> heavily patched and I'm not sure what other cruft would end up in

Thanks for your help, David.  However, note that I run the binary fvwm
release from the Debian GNU/Linux distribution.  I am loathe to patch
fvwm by hand if that patch will never get into distribution -- somehow
it looks like (almost) wasted work, because as new releases will come,
I'll have to do the job over again.

What is the fvwm maintainer's position on this patch?  Why isn't it in
the baseline fvwm2?

P.S.
As in all lousy bug reports, I haven't mentioned my fvwm version.
It's 2.0.45, as you guessed.  I use it on Debian GNU/Linux with
XFree86 server.

-- 
Hrvoje Niksic <[email-masked]> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
* Q: What is an experienced Emacs user?
* A: A person who wishes that the terminal had pedals.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 16:16:56 -0400

>>>>> "HN" == Hrvoje Niksic <[email-masked]> writes:

....
HN> What is the fvwm maintainer's position on this patch?  Why isn't it in
HN> the baseline fvwm2?

Well, I'm not sure I care one way or the other about it - it just
wasn't high on my list of priorities and I forgot about looking into
it.  I'll have to think about it for the next release, but I don't
make any guarantees about actually adding it.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis Developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

         "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're just havin' a nightmare
             -- of course, we ARE still in Hell." (Gary Larson)
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].