Subject: FVWM: Needs help on lost Focus

From: Jun Shen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 12:37:37 -0500

Hi:  

  I am new to this mail-list and new to FVWM in that matter.  I
currently work on a project which use FVWM2 (version 2.0.45) as window
manager.  I had problem with losing Focus on one window when the system
first started. 
   The system Setup 2 desks, one for Main Dispaly and another for
Configuration. The system may not ship with mouse, so we use
ClickToFouse in fvwm configuration file.  The problem is every time
after a Popup window goes away, so is the focus. I have to use mouse to
click in the window to get it back (or switch between desks which use
build-in FOCUS command).  Once I clicked the mouse every thing works
fine after that until you shut down FVWM and re-started.
(I tried to use MouseFocus which did not have this problem.)

Here is part of my .fvwm2rc file

# Focus Setup

Style "*"       ClickToFocus

# Misc. Setup

ClickTime       150
OpaqueMoveSize  100
EdgeScroll      0 0
EdgeResistance  0 20
Style "*"       MWMFunctions, MWMDecor

# Window Placement

Style "*"       SmartPlacement
Style "*"       RandomPlacement

# Virtual setup

DeskTopSize     1x1

# Styles

Style "*"       NoTitle, NoHandles, NoIcon, SkipMapping, BorderWidth 4
Style "Startup" Sticky, StaysOnTop, BorderWidth 0
Style "uidisp"  StartsOnDesk 0, CirculateSkip, BorderWidth 0
Style "trx_ui"  StartsOnDesk 0, BorderWidth 0
Style "configuration" StartsOnDesk 1, BorderWidth 0 
Style "trx_ui"  StartsOnDesk 0, BorderWidth 0
Style "journal_ui" StartsOnDesk 2, Title, Handles 

# Stuff to do at start-up

AddToFunc "InitFunction" "I" Exec xpmroot
/usr/felix/icons/big_highway.xpm &
+               "I" Exec pos_startup &
#+              "I" Wait trx_ui
#+              "I" Next [trx_ui] WarpToWindow 50 50
#+              "I" Next [trx_ui] Focus

# Other Helper Functions

AddToFunc "DoFelixPopup"        "I" CursorMove -100 -100
+                               "I" CursorMove 50 50
+                               "I" Popup FelixPopup

AddToMenu "FelixPopup" "POS" POS-Startup
+              "Configuration" Function Config-Startup
+              "EJournal" Function EJournal-Startup
+              "Emergency Shutdown" Popup Felix-Quit-Verify

AddToFunc "POS-Startup" "Immediate" Beep
+               "I" Next [trx_ui] WarpToWindow 50 50
+               "I" Next [trx_ui] Focus

AddToFunc "Config-Startup" "Immediate" Beep
+               "I" Next [Configuration] WarpToWindow 50 50
+               "I" Next [Configuration] Focus

I hope some one can give some hint on this.  Thanks.

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jun Shen   Senior Software Engineer  |  Tel (757) 366-4400
Schlumberger Technologies RPS-NAM    |  Fax (757) 424-2746
825-M Greenbrier Circle	             |
Chesapeake,  VA 23320                |  [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "David P. Ihnen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 09:46:03 -0800

>ClickToFouse in fvwm configuration file.  The problem is every time

You can start xwindows without a mouse?  All the x servers I've worked with
die the horrible bit-bucket death when you try to start them without a
mouse.  "Unable to open root deviceBUS ERROR" sorts of things.

Curioser and curiouser.

David