Subject: FVWM: bad habits of FvwmWinList

From: Orlando Andico <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 12:12:44 +0800 (GMT)

Hello:

  I'm using FvwmWinList as a (sort of) icon manager. I use NoIcon so that
them icky pixmaps don't appear, they just become a list in FvwmWinList.
Now I set the minimum width == the maximum width so it only resizes
vertically. Now the bad habit is that, the FvwmWinList has a tendency to
wander downward and to the right after it resizes. I'm using 2.0.43; is
this documented bug behavior?

  (I realize this is dumb); I'm actually using a modified FvwmWinList, but
the modification is trivial -- I added some XTextWidth(...) code in
make_name() so that the window names get clipped at character boundaries
instead of getting clipped at the edge of the module window (which looks
messy). Maybe this causes the module drifting?

.-----------------------------------------------------------------.
| Orlando Andico                email: [email-masked] |
| IRC Lab/EE Dept/UP Diliman   http://gibson.eee.upd.edu.ph/~orly |
|  "through adventure we are not adventuresome" -- 10000 Maniacs  |
`-----------------------------------------------------------------'

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Allen Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Mar 1997 09:04:26 -0700

> messy). Maybe this causes the module drifting?

I know little about the internals of FvwmWinList, but I wrote FvwmIconMan
which is very similar and is sometimes plagued with the same problem. 

Quick question: do you have your FvwmWinList set up so that it grows to the
left or up? That is, is the corner which is fixed (assuming the wandering
wasn't happening) any other that the top left corner? If so, then this
operation is impossible to do in X without occasional wandering. The best you
can do is minimize the risk of its occurance, which I've been trying to do for
two years in FvwmIconMan.

It's very unlikely that your change affected anything. 

By the way, the url for FvwmIconMan is:
http://www.cs.arizona.edu/people/bradym/software

The screenshots on the page will probably only look nice if you have a >= 16
bpp display or are running ANY webbrowser other than netscape. I don't know
who wrote netscape's colormap quantization code, but they suck.

-- 
 Brady Montz
 [email-masked]