Subject: FVWM: need help with .fvwm under Solaris/openwindows

From: Mark Boolootian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 09:10:10 -0800 (PST)

Greetings,

I'm a novice fvwm user (but am totally enthralled by having a truly
decent window manager to help me escape the ravages of openwindows!).

I've pieced together a .fvwm2rc file from stuff the FVWM web page
pointed me to.  However, I have a couple of problems which I'm hoping
someone(s) can help me with:

  o When I run some applications (e.g. imagetool, audiotool) under fvwm2,
	subsidiary windows, such as those for properties, don't have any
    mechanism for removing them from your screen.  Under openwindows, you
    normally can click the "pushpin" to dismiss the window, but under fvwm2
    (as I have it configured), no such clickable button exists.  Is
    there any way to configure for this?

  o When I fire up /usr/openwin/bin/xman, it doesn't work.  The only button
	which is clickable is the 'Quit' button.

Now my guess is that these applications are all written specifically for
openwindows and they just won't integrate completely with fvwm.  If
that's true, what do folks normally do under Solaris for these kinds of
tools?  Do you grab X11R6 and install it?  I find imagetool, the
calendar manager, and the answerbook pretty useful and would hate to
have to abandon them completely.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Suggestions for configuring
.fvwm2rc also are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
mb
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Mar 1997 18:22:33 +0100

>>>>> Mark Boolootian writes:

  Mark>   o When I run some applications (e.g. imagetool, audiotool)
  Mark> under fvwm2, subsidiary windows, such as those for properties,
  Mark> don't have any mechanism for removing them from your screen.
  Mark> Under openwindows, you normally can click the "pushpin" to
  Mark> dismiss the window, but under fvwm2 (as I have it configured),
  Mark> no such clickable button exists.  Is there any way to
  Mark> configure for this?

Bind the "Close" function to a menu entry or to a button and use that
to dismiss the windows.  I've used this a lot, and it works well.  You
can even use a pushpin pixmap for the button if you like... :-)

kai
-- 
I fell in love with you the first time I looked at you
them there eyes.

---

From: Orlando Andico <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 13:25:23 +0800 (GMT)

> have to abandon them completely.

Not sure.
I installed Fvwm95 (which is based on Fvwm2) on a Solaris 2.5.1 box, which
didn't have X11R6 or anything (afaik it's X11R5). Maybe you're using
SunOS? (ack..)

.-----------------------------------------------------------------.
| Orlando Andico                email: [email-masked] |
| IRC Lab/EE Dept/UP Diliman   http://gibson.eee.upd.edu.ph/~orly |
|  "through adventure we are not adventuresome" -- 10000 Maniacs  |
`-----------------------------------------------------------------'