Subject: FVWM: Sparc won't Swallow

From: David Wren-Hardin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 11:24:58 -0600

I'm running fvwm2, version 2.0.41 on a Sparc 2 running SunOS. 
Everything seems to be working fine, but I can't get my
Good..., err, FvwmButtons to swallow things like an xclock.
The line I have is:

*FvwmButtons(Swallow xclock 'Exec xclock -bg \#908090 -geometry -1500-1500 -padding 0 &')

This exact line works fine on a linux box running 2.0.42, and I can run
the xclock from the command line.

Any ideas about what could be going on?

Also, are there any web pages with fvwm2 configs out there? I've found a bunch
of sample configs for 1.*, but not 2.*

Thanks for your help,

David Wren-Hardin 		| Support Darwinian evolution --
[email-masked]	| Squash a weakling today. 
[email-masked]         | 
http://student-www.uchicago.edu/users/bdh4/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Jehangir K. Tajik" <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Mar 1997 16:32:06 -0600

> *FvwmButtons(Swallow xclock 'Exec xclock -bg \#908090 -geometry -1500-1500 -padding 0 &')

This is what works for me on my sparc 2 under solaris 2.5:

*FvwmButtons(1x3,Swallow XClock 'Exec xclock -bg RosyBrown &')

Jehangir

[email-masked]
http://everest.radiology.uiowa.edu/~tajik
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Martin Cartwright <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 09:28:16 +0000 (GMT)

> Any ideas about what could be going on?

Well it may be that your login session doesn't have the complete path
statement that you expect, and so FVWM can't find xclock. This is quite a
common problem for x-terminals, in my experience. Try putting the complete
path for xclock in the Exec statement. Also, it may be having trouble with
the extra command line options. Try, specifying a colour by name instead
of rgb numbers and drop the geometry statement (irrelevant anyway seeing as
you're going to swallow the window.)

> of sample configs for 1.*, but not 2.*

There's some on the Window Managers for X site at

http://www.PLiG.org/xwinman/

although they're a bit dated... Oh and check out my page too ;)

cheers,

	Martin. 

[email-masked] - http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~imc/vom.htm
-/-----------------------------------------------------------\-
|  "No challenge should be faced without a little charm,      |
|   and a lot of style."				      |
-\-----------------------------------------------------------/-

---

From: David Wren-Hardin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 11:08:50 -0600

Martin Cartwright <[email-masked]> writes:
>statement that you expect, and so FVWM can't find xclock.

Thanks for all the help everyone, lots of good ideas. But alas, none
have worked. Putting the complete path: nothing. Taking out the
options: still nothing.

I'm just resigned I think to it not working with current set up for
some reason. Perhaps I'll try recompiling if I get ambitious.

Thanks again,

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 18:53:27 -0500 (EST)

> some reason. Perhaps I'll try recompiling if I get ambitious.

Maybe it has some problems running the app period! I also seem to have a
similar problem with xlock on slowlaris and linux boxes, but not under
IRIX. The setups for each are identical (in fact, it's the same
.fvwm2rc)... I've tried checking path's n' stuff to make sure everything
was working (i.e. I was running other stuff just fine from within the same
path, so I figured putting the entire path to xlock would do no good).
I'll check later this week...
			-peace

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K?
w++++ O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5 X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>* 
h*(!) r- y*(+)
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
"Life is when you shake it" -- me

---

From: Martin Cartwright <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 12:59:58 +0000 (GMT)

> some reason. Perhaps I'll try recompiling if I get ambitious.

Do you have trouble swallowing any other applications? Does it
have to be xclock in your button bar? You could try another clock, after
all there's plenty of good freeware clocks about.

---

From: David Wren-Hardin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 13:43:45 -0600

>all there's plenty of good freeware clocks about.  

Actually, it appears I do. I had just been trying the clock since I
thought it would be easy. But trying to swallow FvwmIconMan, again
copying from my linux setup, doesn't work either. Buttons are allocated
at the right size, but nothing shows up.  oclock doesn't work either.

There are a couple of other weird things going on. A couple of the
xpm icons I use for the buttons don't work. They just don't show up,
even though the button works. I've got a dozen other icons that
do show up. I don't think it's a colormap problem since one of the
icons is greyscale, and if I commment out all of the buttons except that
one it still doesn't show up. Shows up on my other computers though.

None of this is a huge deal, I just tend to spend time (too much time ;-)
tweaking my fvwm set up, and was curious about why some stuff worked on one
system and not the other.

David Wren-Hardin 		| Thousands of years ago the Egyptians
[email-masked]	| worshipped cats as gods. Cats have
[email-masked]         | never forgotten this.
http://student-www.uchicago.edu/users/bdh4/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Martin Cartwright <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 16:03:17 +0000 (GMT)

> one it still doesn't show up. Shows up on my other computers though.

Could I have a look at your .fvwmrc please? FvwmButtons has
always been a bit fussy in my experience (I've only ever used
FVWM on a SPARC 5 with Solaris 2.4 and 2.5) andsmall things make
all the difference sometimes.

> tweaking my fvwm set up, ...
> 

Ah, well, I think we all do that :)