Subject: FVWM: strange window title behaviour...

From: Rob Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 01:31:37 +0100

Hello,

I've just built and installed 2.0.45 on Digital UNIX V4.0 and I've
noticed something a bit weird:

All windows titles work properly with one exception:
the DECterm titles have "1]" prefixed to them, so if the title in
the DECterm config says "DECterm", I get "1]DECterm" and so on.
If I change it to "huhu" using an escape sequece, it changes to
"1]huhu".

any ideas?

Please mail me if you can help: [email-masked].

Rob Urban
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thomas Leitner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 08:01:32 +0100 (MET)

Rob,

> If I change it to "huhu" using an escape sequece, it changes to

I'm also running fvwm 2.0.44 on DU 4.0b and noticed this. I've patched 
the sources to avoid this problem (not a pretty patch, though but it 
works). Another problem under DU 4.0b is the "FvwmButtons eating 100% CPU
time after log-out" problem. I'm using fvwm as the window manager along
with the DU session manager. This apparently just kills the X server when
logging out without notifying fvwm. Some FVWM modules have a bug then
which causes them to keep running and eating 100% CPU time. I also have a
fix for that.

If you're interested, just drop me a line.

Tom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
T o m   L e i t n e r                       Dept. of Communications
                                            Graz University of Technology, 
e-mail    : [email-masked]      Inffeldgasse 12
Phone     : +43-316-873-7455                A-8010 Graz / Austria / Europe
Fax       : +43-316-463-697
Home page : http://wiis.tu-graz.ac.at/people/tom.html
PGP public key on : ftp://wiis.tu-graz.ac.at/pgp-keys/tom.asc or send 
mail with subject "get Thomas Leitner" to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pete Forman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 08:32:15 GMT

>>>>> "Rob" == Rob Urban <[email-masked]> writes:

    Rob> I've just built and installed 2.0.45 on Digital UNIX V4.0 and
    Rob> I've noticed something a bit weird:

    Rob> All windows titles work properly with one exception: the
    Rob> DECterm titles have "1]" prefixed to them, so if the title in
    Rob> the DECterm config says "DECterm", I get "1]DECterm" and so
    Rob> on.  If I change it to "huhu" using an escape sequece, it
    Rob> changes to "1]huhu".

    Rob> any ideas?

Maybe the escape sequences for DECterm differ subtly from xterm.  It
looks like a bit of control has leaked into the text.  I set my xterm
title to machine:pwd by tweaking the cd command.  The od command can
display what is going on.

cd . | od -c
    
0000000 033   ]   0   ;   n   e   m   o   :   /   u   s   r   /   p   e
0000020   o   p   l   e   /   g   s   e   z   0   2   0 007
0000035

The third character should be 0, 1 or 2 to set the title on the
window, icon or both.  Perhaps your sequence has an extra "1]" in it.
-- 
Pete Forman
Western Geophysical
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Larry Gensch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 09:03:35 -0500 (EST)

> If I change it to "huhu" using an escape sequece, it changes to

That's an artifact from the DECWindows applications that you are
running:  I see it when I run dxcalendar, but not when running "normal"
X applications like tcl/tk, xterm, Netscape, etc.  Since the calendar is
the only program that I currently run that exhibits this behavior, I
tend to simply ignore the problem.

Of course, this isn't a SOLUTION, just another person that noticed this
problem.  I recall somebody mentioning it on this list a few months
ago... but searching the FVWM archives at http://hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/
didn't seem to locate the message (I searched for 'title' in all
messages in 1996 and 1997 and surprisingly, it told me that there were
no matches).

-- 
(void) lar3ry();                                      [email-masked]

     "Sometimes it happens.  People just explode.  Natural causes."