Subject: Re: FVWM: IconStyle? / Wharf

From: Patrice Fortier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 17:45:32 +0100 (MET)

Brady Montz writes:
> There has been some private discussion between me and Andrew Veliath on
> this. It would be a logical addition. I'd like to see a library where modules
> can use that code as well (mmm, gradients in my FvwmButtons). It's not a small
> job though. 

The first job should be to include the gradient functions in the
library, so the titlebar, icons, menu entries and some modules
(FvwmButtons...) could use it. There was a patch some days ago to
modify the icons look (fvwm -> AfterStep).

I don't see interest in coding a gradient function for each task
(icon, titlebar, fvwmbuttons...)...

Lokh.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ian Spielman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 16:25:57 -0600 (CST)

> modify the icons look (fvwm -> AfterStep).

About a month ago I wrote such a patch, posted it, and placed it on my 
home page. 5 people visited. 1 responded. I decided the people didn't 
want or care about the NextStep look. (and yes I put the code in the lib 
subdirectory I even was nice with #ifdefs and all.) 

All the interest now. Go figure.

Ian

*************************************************************************
*Ian Spielman                                                           *
[email-masked]                                                       *
*http://hepserver.nhn.ou.edu/~spielman/                                 *
*************************************************************************

---

From: "Ives Aerts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 10:21:29 +0100

On Mar 3, 16:25, Ian Spielman wrote:
> Subject: Re: FVWM: IconStyle? / Wharf
> I decided the people didn't want or care about the NextStep look.

I just took a look and your patch is *almost* what I want. While I like
the gradiented background for the icons, one thing I hate about afterstep
is that there is no text associated with the icons. When I have 5 iconified
shells, I like to be able to select the right one based upon the title.

Anyone who knows enough about the fvwm internals to come up with such a
mixed style?

Cheers,
-Ives
______________________________________________________________________
Ives Aerts (SW Developer)                    Sony Objective Composer
[email-masked]                       St.Stevens Woluwestr. 55
`Blimey, this redistribution of wealth is    B-1130 Brussels, Belgium
 trickier than I thought'                    PHONE : +32 2 724 19 80
              (Monty Python's flying circus) FAX   : +32 2 726 26 86
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ian Spielman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 07:55:41 -0600 (CST)

> shells, I like to be able to select the right one based upon the title.

Becuase people seemed disinteredted in my patches I stopped posting them. 
I have infact made that change in the version of fvwm I an running. In my 
version text is default, and for no text the NoIconTitle keyword (or 
something reasonably like it) is used. Also the code is cleaner.

I have placed a "snapshot" of my current fvwm source tree at 
ftp://hepserver.nhn.ou.edu/pub. I don't have a copy of standard fvwm any 
more, and being lazy I didn't want to get one just to produce a .diff file.

Ian

---

From: "Ives Aerts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 10:31:08 +0100

> more, and being lazy I didn't want to get one just to produce a .diff file.

I made a diff file using your snapshot and used it succesfully to patch
my source tree. It's precisely what I wanted :^), thanks!. Should I make it
available somewhere or send it to you?

The only things I still need now are:
- gradiented menus
- a way to give different backgrounds for wharf folders vs. wharf buttons
- maybe an updated FvwmButtons so that I don't need wharf anymore?

Cheers,
-Ives
______________________________________________________________________
Ives Aerts (SW Developer)                    Sony Objective Composer
[email-masked]                       St.Stevens Woluwestr. 55
`Death could create most things, except for  B-1130 Brussels, Belgium
 plumbing.'                                  PHONE : +32 2 724 19 80
                  (Soul Music - T.Pratchett) FAX   : +32 2 726 26 86
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Patrice Fortier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 10:44:34 +0100 (MET)

I think it should be cool to put the diff somewhere, or at least post
it here, so people like me can use the patch too :).
I read that the guys from AS modified the code of gradients because
of a memory leak...

Lokh.