Subject: FVWM: AIX xmperf problem

From: Jonathan Edwards <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 20:38:54 -0500 (EST)

The AIX xmperf program will not run under fvwm 2.0.45 & AIX 4.2. I get the
error:

X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
  Major opcode of failed request:  28 (X_GrabButton)
  Serial number of failed request:  383
  Current serial number in output stream:  502

It runs under motif, and reportedly other window managers.
Is there any info I can provide that would help resolve this?

Regards,
Jonathan
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bill Oswald <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 09:19:25 -0600 (CST)

Excerpts from fvwm: 11-Mar-97 FVWM: AIX xmperf problem Jonathan
Edwards@intrane (680*) 

The AIX xmperf program will not run under fvwm 2.0.45 & AIX 4.2. 
<snip> 
> Is there any info I can provide that would help resolve this? 

Welcome to fun with xmperf and fvwm.  Let me start by saying I'm running
a version of AIX 4.1 and have not tried this on 4.2.  (#include
<std_disclaimer.h>) There are a couple of things that work on 4.1 that
you might try: 

1) Run with the -u option.  This is pretty painless and seems to be the
only way I can get xmperf to work on 4.1.  This option switches to popup
menus instead of the pulldown ones. 

2) You can't run a version of fvwm compiled on AIX 3.2 on 4.1 and have
xmperf work.  I'm guessing there is some incompatibility in the X11
libs.  What's weird is that xmperf is the only program I know of that
has this problem.  So if this is the case, you'll need to rebuild fvwm
on your 4.2 system. 

Good luck, 
-Bill

---

From: Jonathan Edwards <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 10:54:57 -0500 (EST)

> menus instead of the pulldown ones. 

Thanks, but it doesn't make any difference.
My fvwm was compiled on 4.2, on this machine.
I still get:

  Current serial number in output stream:  482

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 11:42:31 -0500

>>>>> "Jonathan" == Jonathan Edwards <[email-masked]> writes:

>> menus instead of the pulldown ones.

Jonathan> Thanks, but it doesn't make any difference.
Jonathan> My fvwm was compiled on 4.2, on this machine.
Jonathan> I still get:

Jonathan> X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
Jonathan>   Major opcode of failed request:  28 (X_GrabButton)
Jonathan>   Serial number of failed request:  383
Jonathan>   Current serial number in output stream:  482

RTFM.  The FAQ for fvwm 2.0.45 has:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

31) I try to run some program under FVWM, but it dies with an X11
    error like BadAccess.  The same program works just fine under MWM
    or OLWM.  What's going on?

A: The error message usually looks something like this:

        X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private
        resource denied)
         Major opcode of failed request:  28 (X_GrabButton)
         Serial number of failed request:  1595
         Current serial number in output stream:  1596

   Well, this is telling you that there is a conflict in key/button
   assignments.  In your .fvwm2rc you have bound some key/button that
   this program really wants to bind to an action, but it can't since
   FVWM has already done so (but you weren't doing it in the rc file
   for your previous window manager).  Figure out what the offending
   key binding is and remove it from your .fvwm2rc, or temporarily via
   FvwmTalk by removing the FVWM binding (see the man page for the Key
   & Mouse commands).

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Chuck