Subject: Re: FVWM: fun with xlock

From: "David P. Ihnen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 18:26:26 -0800

At 08:42 PM 3/27/97 -0500, Kendrick Vargas wrote:
>On Thu, 27 Mar 1997, David P. Ihnen wrote:
>
>> I have been having users complain that they can't run xlock under xdm with
>> fvwm2.  I tried it (I don't usually use it) and they're right... I came up
>> with a work around (xterm -iconic -e xlock &) but I'm curious as to why the
>> setuid process doesn't work straight out of fvwm's Exec command.
>
>Are you on a sun, and you missed my sun-xlock thread a week or two ago....
>then you have an answer... The variable "LOGNAME" is not set in X by
>default. This is required for xlock to work properly. I'm not sure how to
>set that in the default system X startup files... but at least now you're
>halfway there :)

D'oh!  I remember that thread, and I thought it might be the LOGNAME - but
everytime I tried to echo the logname, it worked.  Then just now I tried it
as a menu command while monitoring the output of the shell fvwm2 is run
in... and sure enough, it was blank.  So, the expected solution:

add the setting and exportation of LOGNAME to the file xdm runs to start up
the windowing session (default /usr/openwin/lib/xdm/Xsession, referenced in
/usr/openwin/lib/xdm/xdm-config, which could be anything depending on
arguments at xdm server execution)

So I put in:

LOGNAME=`whoami`
export LOGNAME

Hey whadaya know... it works!  Isn't it strange how when you try to recreate
problems, they often aren't there?

Anyway, that's the rest of the way there.

David

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].