Subject: FVWM: Re: FvwmCDE Announcement

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 10:57:03 GMT

Is Drag-n-drop going to be supported.  It's the only thing I miss from
dtwm.  I have an Fvwm buttons at the bottom of the screen that could be
made to look just like the dtwm front-panel but it would be really nice
to be able to drag a file over to the mailbox icon and have a compose
window pop up with the file as a MIME attachment.  I don't care about
run-time customization or CDE fluff but darg-n drop would be great.

If you can't do drag-n drop easily do you know of any program that will
create a window which is a drag-n-drop drop zone?

Cheers,
Tim Phipps.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: James Frost <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 12:10:46 +0000 (GMT)

> create a window which is a drag-n-drop drop zone?

You can actually use the Wharf module which comes with the afterstep 
window manager (a fvwm1 based hack which has neXt step look and feel) 
which supports drag 'n drop. Although useable with fvwm2, it is based on 
the fvwm1.x, so you have to fiddle a bit with the oonfiguration file to 
get it working.

It is available in the AfterStep package from

	http://www.afterstep.edoc.com/

There is also a small utility called xdrop available which may be of use, 
but I'm not sure if the drag 'n drop works under anything apart from 
OpenWindows. The author's email address is:

	[email-masked] (I'm not sure if he's still here though)

		James Frost

	o 34 Blenheim Gardens, Highfield, Soton, S017 3RQ
	o Tel: (01703) 583 717
            
	o http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~jaf195 
	o [email-masked]

---

From: Marcin Klimowski <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Mar 1997 16:30:20 +0100

>>>>> "James" == James Frost <[email-masked]> writes:
  James> On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Tim Phipps wrote:
  >> Is Drag-n-drop going to be supported.  It's the only thing I miss
  >> from dtwm. 

  James> You can actually use the Wharf module which comes with the
  James> afterstep window manager (a fvwm1 based hack which has neXt
 
or even better - use tkgoodstuff and tkdesk - they will give you nice
dran'n'drop too.

-- 
Marcin Klimowski	BOFH	http://www.pk.edu.pl/~marcin/
finger me for my new pgp public key

--LART ANY user to continue

---

From: Jim Knoble <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 18:00:53 -0500 (EST)

try out the following:

    - xfm, a file manager + application window.  ftp.x.org in the
      contrib section
    - DND and OffiX, drag-and-drop protocol plus applications.
      http://gutenberg.lcmi.ufsc.br/OffiX 

--jim

##############  jim knoble  ######  [email-masked]  ################

: Is Drag-n-drop going to be supported.  It's the only thing I miss from
: dtwm.  I have an Fvwm buttons at the bottom of the screen that could be
: made to look just like the dtwm front-panel but it would be really nice
: to be able to drag a file over to the mailbox icon and have a compose
: window pop up with the file as a MIME attachment.  I don't care about
: run-time customization or CDE fluff but darg-n drop would be great.
: 
: If you can't do drag-n drop easily do you know of any program that will
: create a window which is a drag-n-drop drop zone?
: 
: Cheers,
: Tim Phipps.
: --
: Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
: To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
: message to [email-masked].
: To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].
:

---

From: Orlando Andico <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 15:26:02 +0800 (GMT)

> OpenWindows. The author's email address is:
[...]

Hmm.. I should check Wharf out then  :)
it would be instructive (for me!) to add DND to FvwmCDE :)

as for xdrop: i don't think it will work except with XView apps, because
XView has this thing called DTSM (or something like that) which implements
DND for XView apps..

.-----------------------------------------------------------------.
| Orlando Andico                email: [email-masked] |
| IRC Lab/EE Dept/UP Diliman   http://gibson.eee.upd.edu.ph/~orly |
|  "through adventure we are not adventuresome" -- 10000 Maniacs  |
`-----------------------------------------------------------------'