Subject: FVWM: copy/paste buffer

From: "Ives Aerts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 17:35:52 +0100

I'm an X dummy, so pardon me if I'm totally wrong about this or if it
has nothing to do with FVWM.

On all X systems I've seen so far, you can use the mouse to copy and
paste text between windows (shells, netscape, mail, ...). What I'd
like to know is whether it would be possible to get hold of the
contents of that buffer (managed by the window manager???) from within
a shell or perl script so I can feed it as an argument to various
programs.

TIA,
-Ives
______________________________________________________________________
Ives Aerts (SW Developer)                    Sony Objective Composer
[email-masked]                       St.Stevens Woluwestr. 55
`Death could create most things, except for  B-1130 Brussels, Belgium
 plumbing.'                                  PHONE : +32 2 724 19 80
                  (Soul Music - T.Pratchett) FAX   : +32 2 726 26 86
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Mende Pie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 08:58:11 -0800

> has nothing to do with FVWM.

It is more an Xwindows question, but I will put a fvwm specific bend on it :-)
 
> a shell or perl script so I can feed it as an argument to various

Yes you can ... 

  There is a program called xcb that can help you manage you cut buffer.
It can do a number of things including display all of the active cut
buffers in a window, as well as put things in the cut buffer, and spit the
output of the the cut buffer to stdout.  

  I added a patch that merges these two last into 1 execution, which copies
the currently highlighted text into the cut buffer, then spits it out to
stdout.  (If you want that version please let me know, I will make the src
available).   If you are using normal xcb, replace "xcb -P 0" with 
"xcb -S 0; xcb -p 0".

  I put the following line in my .fvwm2rc

Mouse	1	W	M	Exec netscape `xcb -P 0` &

  Note that for me netscape is a perl program that will invoke netsape
optionally with the -remote openURL option.  You can get similar
functionality (assuming netscape is already running) with the binding

Mouse	1       W	M	Exec url=`xcb -P 0` ; netscape -remote "openURL($url,new-window)" &

                              /Bob...                    mailto:[email-masked]
                        http://reality.sgi.com/mende/          KF6EID
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].