Subject: FVWM: Solaris running xlock/xclock

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 11:22:51 -0500 (EST)

Hi, it seems that I cannot run xlock at all on sun's from within fvwm2. I
don't understand why I'm having this problem. I don't have it under IRIX,
Linux/XFree86 or Linux/AccelX. I also checked and seem to have the same
problem under fvwm 1.24r. I probably never noticed it before cuz I try not
to use the suns on campus. 
	The suns are SS5's running Solaris 2.5.1 (SunOS 5.5.1) without
CDE. They've each got 32 meg ram.
	What perplexes me is that xlock will work whenever I run it,
except from within fvwm2 or fvwm. I've tried several things. I tried
writing a shell script that exec'd xlock, I tried the full path, I tried
without the &, with the &... and nothing. Even stranger, is that if I
login to X in safe mode (type in passwd and press F1, get only an xterm
and nothing else, no WM), and if I then run my .xsession manually, I don't
get the problem. If I do that, I can run xlock as I normally would from
within fvwm2. My sysadmin claims he debugged a similar problem a while
back and said that if the USER env isn't properly set in the .xsession
(which I figured was a system thing, but what the hell... suns are
screwy), that things like that wouldn't work properly. I tried setting
both USER and user in my .xsession but neither worked... I'm just curious
as to whether anyone else has noticed this problem as well. 
	I figure that xlock is standard all over the place, but I don't
know what sun did to their version in order to make it all nice and
stuff... Does anyone know where I can find xlock so I can try compiling it
myself? I figure maybe that will help... In any case, here are a few lines
from my .fvwm2rc in case anyone thinks it may be important. The following
is what I use by default in fvwm2rc:

+       "Random"        exec xlock -mode random -remote -allowaccess &

This is what I eventually ended up with

+       "Lock n' stuff" exec /usr/openwin/bin/xlock &

Again... neither of these worked... And I seem to also have the same
problem under vtwm, so I guess it's not just an fvwm thing.

	As for the fellow having problems swallowing xclock, I am assuming
it may be part of the same problem I am having. My suggestion for a
freeware clock would be to grab the afterstep distribution and install the
asclock binary in the modules directory. It's probably the best,
non-obstructive, informing, ATTRACTIVE clock that I've seen. If you'd like
to see how I set mine up in a button bar, check out:

	http://www.fiu.edu/~kvarga01/computing/linux/Prod-fvwm2.html

This one is the predecessor to my CD-fvwm2 and I think it sports a rather
productive environment... Thats for any help...
			-peace

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K?
w++++ O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5 X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>* 
h*(!) r- y*(+)
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
"Life is when you shake it" -- me

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Bill Randle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 08:42:58 -0800

I'm running fvwm2 on a Solaris 2.5 system (SS-20) and haven't experienced
any problems with xlock. I checked my path, though, and noticed that I'm
picking up the X11R5 version of xlock (which we put in /usr/X11/bin)
rather than Sun's version:

-rwxr-xr-x   1 bin         78952 Jun  8  1994 /usr/X11/bin/xlock
-rwsrwxr-x   1 root        94484 Oct  2  1995 /usr/openwin/bin/xlock

Note that the two are quite different is size and that the Sun version is
suid root. I have no idea what the actual differences are. The source
for xlock comes with the standard X11 distribution which can be found at
ftp.x.org, amoung other places.

I put xlock on my button bar, along with a swallowed xclock:

*FvwmButtons Lock       lock.xpm   Exec xlock -mode flame &
*FvwmButtons ""  clock_3d.xpm   Swallow "xclock" Exec xclock -bg LightGray
-padding 0 &

	-Bill Randle
	Tektronix, Inc.
	[email-masked]

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 11:57:28 -0500 (EST)

> ftp.x.org, amoung other places.

Thanx for your reply, but my sysadmin and I figured out the problem. Well,
he did, I was just watching :) In any case, it seems that a required env.
variable is not being set during xdm startup... the env name is LOGNAME
... Once this is set properly, it will work just fine... Thanx!
			-peace

---

From: [email-masked] (David S. Goldberg)
Date: 20 Mar 1997 12:07:37 -0500

>>>>> Kendrick Vargas writes:

> My sysadmin claims he debugged a similar problem a while back and
> said that if the USER env isn't properly set in the .xsession[...]

He's right, except his memory has failed him a bit.  It's LOGNAME, not
USER that's the problem.  I have my .profile (which I source in my
.xsession) set up like this:

[...Lots of irrelevant stuff...]
LOGNAME=${USER-`whoami`}
USER=${USER-$LOGNAME}

export LOGNAME USER
[...Lots more irrelevant stuff...]

This way $LOGNAME and $USER are both guranteed to be set ($USER is
needed for some other programs and while one can generally expect
login to set it, I'm paranoid about these things :-)

If you want to get the latest xlock, it's available from ftp.x.org
somewhere in the contrib area.  I think applications, but it might be
utilities.

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Peter Billam <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 08:45:12 +1100 (EST)

> Linux/XFree86 or Linux/AccelX. I also checked and seem to have the same
...
> within fvwm2.
Aha - missing environment ...

> My sysadmin claims he debugged a similar problem a while
I reckon it'll be LOGNAME not set properly - try

   LOGNAME=$USER export LOGNAME

in your .xsession.  If it works, persuade your sysadmin to put it in
the default Xsession.

Regards,  Peter Billam

System Administrator; Tel: (03) 62 325442, Fax: (03) 62 325000; CSIRO
Division of Marine Research, GPO Box 1538, Hobart TAS 7001, Australia

+-------------------------- 150 Years Ago -----------------------------+
|"All England stands wringing its hands ... mumbling to ourselves some |
| vague janglement of Laissez-faire,  Supply-and-demand,  Cash payment |
| the one nexus of man to man: Free-trade, Competition, and Devil take |
| the hindmost, our latest Gospel yet preached !"       Thomas Carlyle |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+