Subject: FVWM: boxed icons

From: Orlando Andico <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 16:47:10 +0800 (GMT)

hello:

i'd like to ask a few questions about patching fvwm and contributions

  a) how do i submit a patch? can anyone do this or do you have to be
     "empowered" or something  :)

  b) does anyone have a patch for "boxed icons" (like DTWM, 4DWm, or
     even AfterStep)? i would like this kind of behavior for my CDE
     emulator and I'm willing to patch fvwm myself, but since I'm not 
     so hot at Xlib programming, it's gonna be some work and i don't
     feel inclined to do so if it's not incorporated in the "official"
     distribution

reason for my last sentence: i made a patch to fvwm to fix the titling
badness when the window is too narrow for the title (to 2.0.43). imagine
my dismay when the patch didn't apply cleanly to 2.0.45. so i would like
that if a patch i make is actually useful to everyone, that it has a
chance of making it into the official distribution (so i don't rewrite
the damn thing when a new release of fvwm comes out)..

ttfn

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Orlando Andico                               IRC Lab/EE Dept/UP Diliman
email: [email-masked]          http://gibson.eee.upd.edu.ph

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ian Spielman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 07:10:10 -0600 (CST)

>      feel inclined to do so if it's not incorporated in the "official"

HI! I have a patch that makes iconified fvwm windows have the NextStep 
Gradient-shaded look (and are thus 64x64 boxes). This patch applies 
cleanly to fvwm 2.0.45 and can be found by following a link from my 
homepage at: 
	http://hepserver.nhn.ou.edu/~spielman/

Chuck: If I modify this patch so it is another icon-style (GradientIcon) 
Would there be any chance that it would be accpeted to the standard 
distribution for 2.0.46? The code is clean and it is no more hack-like 
than any other part of fvwm. (Which doesn't accualy say very much)

Ian Spielman

*************************************************************************
*Ian Spielman                                                           *
[email-masked]                                                       *
*http://hepserver.nhn.ou.edu/~spielman/                                 *
*************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 09:27:37 -0500 (EST)

i've got a `patch' for gradient-ized icons that i've been using since
fvwm-1.24r ... it's called the 3d-pixmaps collection.  not that hard to
use, they're all 56x46, and they're all decent-looking.  it's easy
enough to use a tool like ImageMagick to make mini-icons and to get the
number of colors used to <=64 (in case you're still using an antiquated
video card that only gives you 8bpp).  why do we need another patch for
gradient icons when these things are available?  that kind of stuff just
adds bloat to fvwm.

--jim

##############  jim knoble  ######  [email-masked]  ################

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, Ian Spielman wrote:

: On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, Orlando Andico wrote:
: 
: HI! I have a patch that makes iconified fvwm windows have the NextStep 
: Gradient-shaded look (and are thus 64x64 boxes). This patch applies 
: cleanly to fvwm 2.0.45 and can be found by following a link from my 
: homepage at: 
: 	http://hepserver.nhn.ou.edu/~spielman/
: 
: Chuck: If I modify this patch so it is another icon-style (GradientIcon) 
: Would there be any chance that it would be accpeted to the standard 
: distribution for 2.0.46? The code is clean and it is no more hack-like 
: than any other part of fvwm. (Which doesn't accualy say very much)
: 
: Ian Spielman

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 09:24:11 -0500

>>>>> "Ian" == Ian Spielman <[email-masked]> writes:

Let me start this with explaining my silence over these last couple of
weeks (months?).  I've been super busy both at work and at home, so
I've been forced to basically ignore a lot of email concerning fvwm
(and anything else non-real-work related).

I wish to apologize - I hope no one feels slighted by this, but it has
been necessary.  I do have all of the notes archived locally and I've
been making notes about which ones I need to go back to, consider for
2.0.46, etc.  So hopefully I'll address them all eventually. :)

Ian> HI! I have a patch that makes iconified fvwm windows have the NextStep
Ian> Gradient-shaded look (and are thus 64x64 boxes). This patch applies
Ian> cleanly to fvwm 2.0.45 and can be found by following a link from my
Ian> homepage at:
Ian>    http://hepserver.nhn.ou.edu/~spielman/

Ian> Chuck: If I modify this patch so it is another icon-style (GradientIcon)
Ian> Would there be any chance that it would be accpeted to the standard
Ian> distribution for 2.0.46? The code is clean and it is no more hack-like
Ian> than any other part of fvwm. (Which doesn't accualy say very much)

I did pick up this patch both the first time you posted it and again
when you brought it up again.  I looked at it briefly and it's not too
bad, but I can't guarantee that it'll make it into 2.0.46 (I have to
think about its potential impact to getting 2.1.0 out finially, which
I'd like to do so bigger fixes/changes can be made).

It (or some variant of its idea) will make it in eventually though.

I could just put it in as is right now as a compile time option, but
to do it "right" I'd like to clean things up and have that and the
titlestyle stuff (and eventually the menu code, since someone asked
for that too) all share some gradient code, which is a sizable change
that means it should really wait until after 2.1.0.

Plus, it might not be bad to add some additional code to be able to
specify a specific XPM to use as the icon bg instead of the Gradient,
a way to set the size instead of a fixed 64x64, how any border should
be drawn, how the icon title text box should look, etc.  Uh-oh - this
is begininng to sound like it should be a new config parm, IconStyle.
Well, I guess That'd fit in with this new borderstyle / titlestyle /
decor thing we have going now.  More food for thought anyways...

But, perhaps I could just put it in as a compile time option nearly
'as is' just to keep people happy for now, then fix things up later.
I'll have to think about that some more...

Taken too long to type this...back to the grind...

Chuck

---

From: Orlando Andico <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 09:38:03 +0800 (GMT)

> gradient icons when these things are available?  that kind of stuff just

I don't think so. I also wrote my own patch and it only added a few dozens
of lines of code to borders.c. That's not much in the way of bloat.

And yes, I tried the CD pixmaps collection: and it doesn't meet my needs.
Why? because some applications provide their own icon windows, and I don't
want to replace these. And I was icons-in-a-box (never mind the gradients)
because this is the behavior provided by DTWM (and 4DWm, and..) I aim to
make my CDE emulator (FvwmCDE) as CDE-like as possible, and this is just
one of those things..

---

From: Mark Krischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 09:32:31 -0500

> want to replace these. And I was icons-in-a-box (never mind the gradients)

this line prompted a question i've had for a while now, is there a way
to get at those icons?  with windows i remember some icon manager
programs could extract and let you replace these.  is the same kind of
functionality possible with xapps and fvwm?

--mark

---

From: Orlando Andico <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 16:10:39 +0800 (GMT)

> functionality possible with xapps and fvwm?

Here's what I did:

  edit your fvwm/icon.c

Remove the lines which check for an application providing its own pixmap,
and an application providing its own icon window. Just leave in the lines
which say to check for a user-supplied (in .fvwm2rc) pixmap.

What happens now is that apps which provide their own pixmaps (e.g. XV)
get ignored. Apps which don't provide any icons (e.g. xterm) are
unaffected. Then you have to put something like

  Style "*" default_icon.xpm

in your .fvwm2rc (provide one for each app..)

It sucks, I know, that's why I don't use this solution, but it does work.

---

From: Jim Knoble <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 17:57:51 -0500 (EST)

no, no, no!  there's no patching of fvwm necessary to override most
builtin icons; all you have to do (except for aggressive apps such as
exmh) is (for example):

	Style "Netscape"	Icon "3d/netscape.xpm"
	Style "xv"		Icon "3d/xv-color.xpm"

then fvwm magically uses the icon you specify instead of the one
provided by the app.

--jim

On Fri, 21 Mar 1997, Orlando Andico wrote:

: On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, Mark Krischer wrote:
: 
: > Orlando Andico wrote:
: > > Why? because some applications provide their own icon windows, and I don't
: > > want to replace these. And I was icons-in-a-box (never mind the gradients)
: > 
: > this line prompted a question i've had for a while now, is there a way
: > to get at those icons?  with windows i remember some icon manager
: > programs could extract and let you replace these.  is the same kind of
: > functionality possible with xapps and fvwm?
: 
: Here's what I did:
: 
:   edit your fvwm/icon.c
: 
: Remove the lines which check for an application providing its own pixmap,
: and an application providing its own icon window. Just leave in the lines
: which say to check for a user-supplied (in .fvwm2rc) pixmap.
: 
: What happens now is that apps which provide their own pixmaps (e.g. XV)
: get ignored. Apps which don't provide any icons (e.g. xterm) are
: unaffected. Then you have to put something like
: 
:   Style "*" default_icon.xpm
: 
: in your .fvwm2rc (provide one for each app..)
: 
: It sucks, I know, that's why I don't use this solution, but it does work.
: 
: 
: -----------------------------------------------------------------------
: Orlando Andico                               IRC Lab/EE Dept/UP Diliman
: email: [email-masked]          http://gibson.eee.upd.edu.ph
: 
: --
: Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
: To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
: message to [email-masked].
: To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].
: