Subject: FVWM: desktop size question.

From: "Scott." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 18:39:16 -0800 (PST)

i was curious:

i would like for my desktop to all fit on my screen without any scrolling.

i'm kinda getting tired of scrolling around the desktop.. call it lazy..
;)

anyways, curious what setting in the .rc file will accomplish this? 

(basically, for example, if i want the entire desktop to fit into a 
800x600 resolution, what do i change?)

ALSO, wanted to say that i'm lovin' 2.0.45... i REALLY like all the decor
mod's, and the feel... i was runnin' .42 up until 2 days ago because i was
too lazy to download and compile the newest one.. ;P ...

thanx in advance..

Later,           ,----_   _.--,
 Scott.         /      ---   * :             ,,,
               |    .-.  .-. --------------,----,
               |    | |  | | ______________'____'
               |    `-'  `-'=_               '''
                \     _---___-'      ---Guitar Freaks' Home Page---
  	         '---'               http://www.scs.unr.edu/~scottf
(obligatory .sig.. :)  )             Lessons, Tabs, Links, & Tuner!

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Mar 1997 16:47:31 +0100

>>>>> Scott  writes:

  Scott> i would like for my desktop to all fit on my screen without
  Scott> any scrolling.

DeskTopSize 1x1

Units are in physical screens.

If that doesn't do it for you, you're probably using a PC-type machine
with an SVGA-type graphics card which does hardware scrolling (they
call this "panning" I think).  I'm not sure how to turn it off, but
I've seen a "Virtual" statement in XF86config once.

kai
-- 
I fell in love with you the first time I looked at you
them there eyes.

---

From: kudzu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 11:56:40 -0600

DeskTopSize 1x1

If that doesn't do it for you, you're probably using a PC-type machine
with an SVGA-type graphics card which does hardware scrolling (they
call this "panning" I think).  I'm not sure how to turn it off, but
I've seen a "Virtual" statement in XF86config once.
If you are using XF86 you will need to go to your XF86Config file and change the virtual resolution in whatever section your paticular graphics server is in. SVGA accelerated whatever. Then simply set the virtual resolution to match true resolution. If you have a resolution of 800x600 set virtual to 800x600.
I had the same problem, just changing fvwm wont work if XF86 is set to virtual. Hope this helps.
-- Visit the official FVWM web page at . To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a message to [email-masked]. To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Mar 1997 14:19:48 -0600

That message looked like this:

[0 Re: desktop size question. <text/html; us-ascii (7bit)>]

And that's it.  Keep the HTML for web pages; this is a mailing list.  ASCII
only.
-- 
      Jason L. Tibbitts III - [email-masked] - 713/743-8684 - 221SR1
System Manager:  University of Houston High Performance Computing Center
                1994 PC800 "Kuroneko"      DoD# 1723
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Alexis Rosoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 15:55:26 -0500 (EST)

On 16 Mar 1997, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

|> That message looked like this:
|> 
|> [0 Re: desktop size question. <text/html; us-ascii (7bit)>]
|> 
|> And that's it.  Keep the HTML for web pages; this is a mailing list.  ASCII
|> only.

just a note, when I saw that message, first thing I did was look at the
X-Mailer header. It was Netscape 4.0b2. The default in the new Netscape is
to send HTML mail. Please, anyone using the new Netscape, turn the `send
rich mail' option OFF!

Alexis
--
   |\     _.,,---,._      	Alexis Rosoff	-   [email-masked]
  /, `.-'`'   -.  ;-;;._	`The human race has one really effective 
 |,4-  ) )-,_..;\ (  `'-'	 weapon, and that is laughter.' 
'---''(_/--'  `-'\_)      		-- Mark Twain

---

From: "Scott." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 15:49:36 -0800 (PST)

> I've seen a "Virtual" statement in XF86config once.

that Virtual statement was what i was looking for.. i tweaked that, and
now i have what i wanted.... 

thanx to ALL who replied... i was bombarded by responses... :)

Later,           ,----_   _.--,
 Scott.         /      ---   * :             ,,,

---

From: Markus Gutschke <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Mar 1997 11:20:05 +0100

> i'm kinda getting tired of scrolling around the desktop.. call it lazy..

Do you mean _scrolling_ or _page flipping_? The former is probably
handled by your X server (e.g. XFree86 can be configured to do so),
while the latter is a function of Fvwm. If you need information on how
to configure your X server, then it would be helpful to let us know
which server you currently use.

Markus

-- 
Markus Gutschke          Internet:       [email-masked]
Schlage 5a               PGP public key: finger -l [email-masked]
D-48268 Greven-Gimbte
Germany                            >>> I prefer encrypted e-mail <<<

---

From: Orlando Andico <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 16:34:43 +0800 (GMT)

> I've seen a "Virtual" statement in XF86config once.

If you're using XFree86 (and not Accel/X or Metro/X) you just need to add

  Virtual 800 600

in your Screen section (if 800x600 is the physical resolution of your
screen)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Orlando Andico                               IRC Lab/EE Dept/UP Diliman
email: [email-masked]          http://gibson.eee.upd.edu.ph