Subject: Re: FVWM: Re: lefty cursors

From: Tom Julien <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 1997 17:59:33 -0500

[email-masked] (R. H. Wood) writes:

>Folks,
>
>We're not talking about the Xserver's cursor (the one you can change
>with xsetroot <blah, blah, blah> that you see on the "root" window.

Note the opening statement to Mark.

>We're talking about FVWM's cursor...the one you see if you place your
>pointer on the FvwmButtons Bar, or on the title bar of an open window.

As mentioned to Mark, fvwm-1.x has the capability with the
"Cursor" directive, but I wasn't sure about it's availability
under 2.x.  Under 1.x, there isn't just one "FVWM cursor",
there are different cursors for various window attributes and
menus that are under fvwm control.

>It's that little arrow-pointing-up-and-left.

XC_top_left_arrow
  
>A lefty-cursor would point up-and-right, instead.

XC_arrow

>At least that's what I was referring to when I said I could use such
>a feature.  (FVWM _may_ have other cursors, too, but this is the one
>I thought we meant.)

There are a number of factors here.  X clients can set or
accept cursor settings outside the control of the window
manager.  For example, a common way to override a default
cursor for a particular widget within a client is with an
X resource of the form:

*cursorName: arrow

Mark's particular issue seemed to be with netscape and FvwmPager.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tom Julien <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 1997 18:56:29 -0500

Trent Piepho <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]
>There isn't any way in fvwm2 to change any of fvwm's curors.  When I wanted a
>different cursor for my title bar buttons I had to change the code in the
>function CreateCursors in fvwm.c.  It would seem like a good idea, and
>something twm and maybe fvwm1 do, to let the user specify the cursors to
>use.o

fvwm1 does allow this.  Snag 1.24r, and check out the man page
and source for a start.