Subject: FVWM: Editing xpm's

From: "Ives Aerts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 17:09:48 +0100

What do you people use to edit xpm's (icons, textures, ...)? Currently
I use gimp but doesn't know how to save them, so I have to save them
as tiff's, then use XV to convert them, then use a text editor to
change one of the colours to transparent.

Surely there must be an easier option, not?

BTW: I'm using an SGI Indigo2, so solutions should either come as SGI
native code or source code.

Cheers,
-Ives
______________________________________________________________________
Ives Aerts (SW Developer)                    Sony Objective Composer
[email-masked]                       St.Stevens Woluwestr. 55
`Death could create most things, except for  B-1130 Brussels, Belgium
 plumbing.'                                  PHONE : +32 2 724 19 80
                  (Soul Music - T.Pratchett) FAX   : +32 2 726 26 86
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 11:56:39 -0500

> Surely there must be an easier option, not?

Strange as it may seem... "not" is the right answer.

You could use pixmap  or xpaint  to  paint your icons, but  it doesn't
have the power of gimp.

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Markus Gutschke <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Mar 1997 23:03:59 +0100

> Surely there must be an easier option, not?

XEmacs has a mode for editing XPM's. It is actually very nice and even
gives you a preview of the image. You will have to add these lines to
your "~/.emacs" file:

(setq auto-mode-alist
      (append '(("\\.xpm\\(\\.orig\\)?$"  . xpm-mode))
	      auto-mode-alist))

This mode is not suited for editing *huge* XPM's, but for normal sized
ones, it works very nicely.

Markus

-- 
Markus Gutschke          Internet:       [email-masked]
Schlage 5a               PGP public key: finger -l [email-masked]
D-48268 Greven-Gimbte
Germany                            >>> I prefer encrypted e-mail <<<

---

From: Orlando Andico <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 13:44:56 +0800 (GMT)

> Surely there must be an easier option, not?

I use pixmap which is available as source code. It's neat; it makes it
easy for you to center pixmaps, etc, and even to make them transparent --
just select the transparent color and floodfill.

Pixmap works just like bitmap (which you should have) and can use either
Athena widgets, or, since you're using an SGI, the Motif widgets, which
makes it look way cool.. :)

The only thing missing from pixmap (although there might be a command, I'm
no expert) is some cropping function and how to resize pixmaps.

.-----------------------------------------------------------------.
| Orlando Andico                email: [email-masked] |
| IRC Lab/EE Dept/UP Diliman   http://gibson.eee.upd.edu.ph/~orly |
|  "through adventure we are not adventuresome" -- 10000 Maniacs  |
`-----------------------------------------------------------------'