Subject: FVWM: gz�files

From: "Mike Morrow, SWI, M" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 23:08:43 +0100

Folks - 

How do I uncompress / unzip these tar files.

I'm familiar with compress and tar, but I've never come across *.gz
files - is this a dos thing ? I know didly about dos (and only a little
bit more about UNIX !).

sphinx% ls -l
total 4962
drwxr-xr-x   3 morrowm  sys_dep      512 Mar 31 21:44 dotfile-2.0
-rw-------   1 morrowm  sys_dep  1860222 Mar 31 21:41 dotfile.tar
-rw-------   1 morrowm  sys_dep   654716 Mar 31 22:55 dotfile.tar.gz
sphinx% 

avocet% uname -a
UNIX_System_V avocet 4.0 R40V4.2 m88k mc88110
avocet% 

sphinx% uname -a
SunOS sphinx 5.3 Generic_Patch sun4d sparc
sphinx% 

vulture% uname -a
SunOS vulture 5.3 Generic_101318-69 sun4d sparc
vulture% 

The system we use mounts our home directory from a server that doesn't
allow you to rlogin into it. 

We then use a number of different machines for different applications.
 
sphinx% mount
/home/morrowm on phoenix:/home4/phoenix/morrowm read/write/remote on Mon
Mar 31 19:39:46 1997

I want to have a go at setting up fvwm2 (win95 lookalike) - I just use
mwm at the moment which is a bit old and ugly - and I've fallen at the
first hirdle !

Do I need to install anything - I'm just a bog standard Joe without any
root access.

Any suggestions on a good route for beginners ? There are a number of
websites out there - I don't know where to start.

Thanks,

Mick.

###########Extract from http://www.imada.ou.dk/~blackie/dotfile/#######

     The Dotfile Generator requires Tcl/Tk, but don't let that scare
you, Tcl/Tk compiles on almost every
     machine running X windows.

     Note: that the Dotfile Generator requires at least Tcl 7.4 / Tk
4.0. Here's a link to the source files: Tcl 7.4
     and Tk 4.0

     And for Linux users, here's a precompiled set for X11R6 of Tcl7.5
and Tk 4.1 

Download the Program

     You may download the program from the main site in Denmark, Europe: 
          gzipped tar format (650Kb) 
          compressed tar format(1.1Mb)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 14:10:59 -0800

Mike,

Look for gunzip (or gzip -d) binary in your /usr/local/bin directory
(or ask your sysadmin).

It's part of GNU's compress tools.

Yehuda.

> Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 23:08:43 +0100
> From: "Mike Morrow, SWI, M" <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: FVWM: gz files
> 
> Folks - 
>