Subject: FVWM: hot corners

From: Mark Krischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 17:24:38 -0500

a quick question about something i was just thinking of....

does anyone know of a program or maybe this could be made part of fvwm,
that would recognize hot spots on the screen?  basically, i'd like to be
able to simply move the pointer to, say, the upper right hand corner of
the screen and have my screensaver startup.  basically, link a hotspot
with a user specified app, so i could make one corner "xlock -nolock"
and another simply "xlock".

anyway, just wondering if anyone's thought of this or has it or is
working on it....
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (R. H. Wood)
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 16:45:30 -0600 (CST)

> anyway, just wondering if anyone's thought of this or has it or is

You mention xlock in your description.  As a matter of fact, the
program 'xautolock' has at least some of the functionality you're
talking about (maybe more that I remember).  I recall you can specify
for xautolock to never initiate xlock if you have your pointer in 
a "safe" corner, and I think you can specify another corner so that if
the pointer is there, xautolock "immediately" invokes xlock.  I
confess, I didn't really play around with it all that much.

xautolock may not offer the flexibility you have in mind, (as I recall,
only the four corners can be specified, with user-specified "size")
but it might be a place to start, if one were inclined to build on the
idea.

-- dick
[email-masked]
Richard H. Wood @ Switch Products Division,  DSC Communications Corp.
1000 Coit Road,   PB1-1526,  M/S 121,  Plano, TX 75075   972-477-8624   
** The opinions expressed are not those of DSC Communications, Inc.**
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Charles Brian Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 18:31:42 -0500 (EST)

> anyway, just wondering if anyone's thought of this or has it or is

There's a program called xautolock that starts any program after a given
amount of idle time, or when the mouse is moved over a certain corner of
the screen.  It is available at ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/ or any of its
mirrors.

Also, there is another one out there called xlockmore, but I don't have
any experience with that one.

-Brian Hill

--
Charles Brian Hill                                Florida State University
Work:   904.644.7710				            College of Law
E-mail: [email-masked]                         World Wide Web Developer
WWW:	http://www.hillman.org/brian/

---

From: Mark Krischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 10:38:36 -0500

thanks all for the pointers to xautolock.

that's really what i was looking for.

--mark