Subject: FVWM: Exec wasteful

From: "Randy J. Ray" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 17:14:35 -0700

There needs to be a way to get Exec to *not* use a shell in the execution; a
way to have it use execv() directly. Working in a heavy mutil-system 
environment, I usually have a lot of xterms running at once, as well as a host
of things spawned by Xdm prior to starting fvwm. After a while, my process
table starts to get dangerously close to full, and my biggest offender are
shells waiting around for their sub-process xterms to complete. If the xterm
is on my local machine, I'm using three processes-- a shell to execute xterm,
xterm itself, and the shell that xterm controls!

Randy
--
===============================================================================
Randy J. Ray -- U S WEST Technologies IAD/CSS/DPDS         Phone: (303)595-2869
                Denver, CO                                     [email-masked]
"It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept." --Calvin
===============================================================================
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "David P. Ihnen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 16:15:17 -0800

from the 'exec' man page

csh
  exec executes command in place of the current shell, which terminates.

using exec to run your commands would kill the only useless process of the
three ... the one waiting for xterm to exit.  Wouldn't it?

David