Subject: FVWM: install stuff...

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 00:26:52 -0500 (EST)

Hi, 
	I don't know how many of you checked out the rc's I mentioned
URL's for, but on one of them, I packaged everything as a self installing
shell script. I did it because I wanted to try to do something functional
with shell scripting (I'm sorta new at this :) Anyway, it seemed someone
was very impressed with the idea of downloading a script that was self
contained and installed all the necessary stuff. He suggested I submit it
as a sample config for the distribution, but somehow I doubted this would
actually happen. It did however give me an idea for a homepage... 

	The one thing that this person liked was that you see the config,
download the script, and it installs.... No figitting with settings, etc,
etc... It would take the hassle out of trying out someone's available
.fvwm2rc ... The idea that a user can look through a bunch of "looks" and
then pick and install one that they liked without too much trouble is
actually kinda cool. I was wondering if maybe someone would like to try
and start up an FVWM Easy Config homepage. 
	Basically, the idea would be that a user could go to the homepage,
see enough of a screen capture to get an idea (no ghastly 1280x1024 jpegs
that take 10 years to download), download a script and voila! An easy
install. I would do this myself but I don't have the time. I have
converted both of my configurations into this installation script format
and they're both available at:

	http://www.fiu.edu/~kvarga01/computing/linux

If anyone wants to actually see what I'm talking about by an easy install.
I'f anyone would like to work on this and coordinate this or talk about
it... let me know...
			-peace

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K?
w++++ O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5 X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>* 
h*(!) r- y*(+)
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
"Life is when you shake it" -- me

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: David Wren-Hardin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 15:20:00 -0600

Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]> writes:
>shell script

I haven't downloaded the actual script, but I like the web page and the
look of some of the desktops. Two ideas or questions. 1) I'd like to see
a link to the text of the rc itself. I often see something that looks
neat, and wonder how to do it myself. I don't necessarily want the whole
.rc file, just a part, or just an idea from it. It'd be easier to have
a link that just shows me the file, rather than downloading the entire
script and then paging through it.

2) Have you looked into doing this with rpms? I've never written them,
but it might be a useful way to do this.  

David Wren-Hardin 		| Now some people say that you shouldn't 
[email-masked]	| tempt fate...But I never learned nothing
http://student-www.uchicago.edu	| from playing it safe, I say fate should 
      /users/bdh4/              | not tempt me. -Mary-Chapin Carpenter. 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 16:32:21 -0500 (EST)

> script and then paging through it.

Hmmm, I thought about this, and I guess maybe I should do this. Consider
it done :)

> but it might be a useful way to do this.  

Well, I thought about that, but not everyone in the world uses an rpm
capable system... A nice simple shell script seemed like the best lowest
common denominator. Besides... I don't really like RPM :)
			-peace