Subject: FVWM: Gradient Menus

From: Eric Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 10:10:11 -0500

I just wanted to add my voice to those who are wishing for, and voice
support to those who are working on: a Gradient MenuStyle.

My desktop would look REALLY appealing and CONSISTENT if my menus could
have a similar color and gradience as my titlebars.

Cheers,
Eric.

-- 
From:  Eric Kahler.
[email-masked] 
http://mars.superlink.net/ekahler/index.html
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 12:09:45 -0500 (EST)

> have a similar color and gradience as my titlebars.

Well... the only thing I'd like to ask for (aside from gradients in
menu-style), would be for an extra type of gradient. In addition to
VGradient and HGradient (Vertical and Horizontal), it'd be cool to have a
DGradient (Diaganol (sp?))... Which would take flags as directions... Or
maybe just make one gradient style where the first argument is the
direction, i.e.:

	instead of
	HGradient 16 3 Red 20 White 30 Blue 50 Grey

	you could have
	Gradient North 16 2 Red 50 White 50 Grey

where North could be interchangeable with North, South, East, West,
North-East... etc... or the single letter equivalents... N, S, E, W, NE, 
NW, SE, SW ... etc... It might make things a bit easier... but I don't
know how easy it'd be to code that (mostly cuz I can't code worth-a-crap).
Just a suggestion though... It might actually make more sense that way to
a .fvwm2rc newcomer... 
			-peace

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K?
w++++ O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5 X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>* 
h*(!) r- y*(+)
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
"Life is when you shake it" -- me

---

From: Ian Spielman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 12:43:33 -0600 (CST)

> 	Gradient North 16 2 Red 50 White 50 Grey

If we are to be general then N should be a macro for a 
vector direction. I don't want my gradients to be limited 
to a specific set of directions.

Ian's Suggestion:

Gradient [x,y] 16 2 Red 50 White 50 Grey

A make this suggestion also becuase based on the current 
gradient algorithms this is a trivial way to code it. I.e. 
you are given a direction and you then draw shaded lines 
orthogonal to that direction (or trapazoides if one is 
clever).

Ian

---

From: Tilman Bohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 02:12:52 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Ian Spielman wrote:

> [...]
> [...]

Speaking as a physicist:
this is totally unnecessary. Once you can add a gradient in some 
direction, by combining several commands in orthogonal directions, s->e
and w->e, say, you can make up any direction you want.

However, if it doesn't make any difference in the code, this equivalence 
might be ignored.

Cheers,
Tilman Bohn

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Max-Planck-Institut fuer Kernphysik  'God is dead.'       -- Nietzsche
 Abteilung fuer Kosmophysik           'Nietzsche is dead.' -- God
 Heidelberg, Germany                  'Nietzsche is God.'  -- The dead 
 <[email-masked]>
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 23:00:54 -0500 (EST)

> Gradient [x,y] 16 2 Red 50 White 50 Grey

In this case... why even confuse things with an x and y ... why not just
make everything alot easier and specify a degree angle. For example:

Gradient [degree angle] 16 2 Red 50 White 50 Grey

where 90 would be a North type direction, 180 = West, 270 = South, 0 -
East ... and then you have everything in between... (and then negative
degree angles, and degree angles greater than or equal to 360, etc :)
			-peace

---

From: "Ives Aerts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 10:24:14 +0100

On Mar 4, 10:10, Eric Kahler wrote:
> Subject: FVWM: Gradient Menus

Hear, hear! I couldn't agree more.

Cheers,
-Ives
______________________________________________________________________
Ives Aerts (SW Developer)                    Sony Objective Composer
[email-masked]                       St.Stevens Woluwestr. 55
`Blimey, this redistribution of wealth is    B-1130 Brussels, Belgium
 trickier than I thought'                    PHONE : +32 2 724 19 80
              (Monty Python's flying circus) FAX   : +32 2 726 26 86
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].