Subject: FVWM: Exec vs. exec

From: [email-masked] (Nadim Saeed)
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 18:10:51 -0800 (PST)

What's the difference between the following two statements

+	Exec xterm -T Local &
+	Exec exec xterm -T Local &

Which one is recommended ?
Which one is faster     ?
Which one is correct    ? Why ?

Many thanks..

 - Nadim
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "David P. Ihnen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 18:09:44 -0800

>Which one is recommended ?

I would recommend the latter

>Which one is faster     ?

the second may be slightly slower, but nothing anything short of an analyzer
could detect.

>Which one is correct    ? Why ?

The second.

It doesn't use up a process table entry with the shell waiting for the xterm
to exit; there's no need to do this when the exec can launch xterm and
terminate the shell, freeing up the process table entry for other, more
important uses.

David