Subject: Re: FVWM: How to run fvwm on an HP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 17:02:09 GMT

> If your hp starts CDE then put :
> 
> exec /your/fvwm/command
> 
> at the beginning of your .dtprofile in your home directory
> 
This works but will prevent any of the CDE tooltalk stuff from starting.  An 
alternative is to put:

dtsession*wmStartupCommand: /your/fvwm/command

in your ~/.Xdefaults file.  Use this file even if you use xrdb. Some things to
note:
 1) Before you change to Fvwm use the Style manager to choose "Return to Home"
    as the session type otherwise CDE will try to restart apps after a logout.
 2) Quitting Fvwm won't log you out, "Exec dtaction ExitSession" will work.
 3) For some reason it takes about 1 minute to log in. Something is timing out.
 4) You can lock the display with "Exec dtaction LockDisplay"
 5) You can't drop file manager icons on the root window, but you can use
    "Put in workspace" from the button3 popup on an icon.
    
Cheers,
Tim Phipps.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "David P. Ihnen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 09:25:11 -0800

At 09:26 AM 3/19/97 -0700, Michael J. Carter wrote:
>
>Anyone have a recipe for starting fvwm instead of VUE? Our HP's seem
>to ignore my .xsession file.

Lots of suggestions, but nobody mentioned this:

CDE XDM has a menu on the xdm window that allows you to choose the mode.
(least in my experience ;)  One of the options is openwindows.  When I
select this, when I log in I get fvwm instead of cde (becaue my .xsession
starts fvwm instead of openwindows)  Perhaps there's an option like this on
the HP?  CDE XDM quite convieniently remembers what your last chosen mode is
once you put in your username, so you only have to set it once.  Couldn't
say about HP, though all the HP's I've had the (mis?)fortune to stumble
across here have been running CDE.

David