Subject: Re: FVWM: help!

From: "David P. Ihnen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 16:33:44 -0800

At 05:11 PM 3/19/97 -0500, Mozam Hosein Jr wrote:
>I followed the instructions in the INSTALL file and have encountered a
>problem.  I am on Solaris 2.5x, a SPARCstation 5.  The parameters
>specified in the Makefile uses the install command to copy the files 
>from the source directory to the dest using  install -c -m XXXX file
>dest.  this is a problem because install requires that -c be followed by
>a filename.  I tried to modify the Makefile, but had no luck.  I have
>also tried to copy the files and chmod them manually.  I was able to do
>the modules and the fvwm binary, but I am stuck now because I have no
>idea where the other suff goes.  If possible can you assist me in
>getting this to work, and if there is a Makefile available for Solaris
>2.5x can you tell me where I can find it.  Any help will greatly be
>appreciated.

I figured this out because I had the EXACT same problem.  You can do it by
knowing the OPENWINHOME is /usr/openwin and looking at the definitions of
all the other symbols used. 

The .n files were originally .man - the solaris implimentation of install
doesn't change filenames, and -c only installs the new version if there
isn't a file there already.  Also, my module installation directory is
customized.

To fix the install in the makefiles would require:
- reording the parameters to a legal format
- renaming the .man files to .n BEFORE the install, instead of with it.
- changing the option from -c to -f so you actually get a new version, if
you're upgrading.

Personally, i got fed up with trying to figure out how the oblique install
command works and tired of its cryptic man page, and just moved the files
manually.

the program: (./fvwm)

/usr/local/bin/fvwm2

The modules: (./modules/*/*)
/usr/local/tools/X11/fvwm2/FvwmAudio
/usr/local/tools/X11/fvwm2/FvwmAuto
/usr/local/tools/X11/fvwm2/FvwmBacker
/usr/local/tools/X11/fvwm2/FvwmBanner
/usr/local/tools/X11/fvwm2/FvwmButtons
/usr/local/tools/X11/fvwm2/FvwmCascade
/usr/local/tools/X11/fvwm2/FvwmCpp
/usr/local/tools/X11/fvwm2/FvwmForm
/usr/local/tools/X11/fvwm2/FvwmIconBox
/usr/local/tools/X11/fvwm2/FvwmIconBox
/usr/local/tools/X11/fvwm2/FvwmIconMan
/usr/local/tools/X11/fvwm2/FvwmIdent
/usr/local/tools/X11/fvwm2/FvwmM4
/usr/local/tools/X11/fvwm2/FvwmPager
/usr/local/tools/X11/fvwm2/FvwmSave
/usr/local/tools/X11/fvwm2/FvwmSaveDesk
/usr/local/tools/X11/fvwm2/FvwmScroll
/usr/local/tools/X11/fvwm2/FvwmTalk
/usr/local/tools/X11/fvwm2/FvwmTile
/usr/local/tools/X11/fvwm2/FvwmWinList

The sample system rc file: (./sample.fvwmrc)
/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fvwm2/system.fvwmrc

The program man page (./fvwm/*.man)
/usr/share/man/mann/fvwm2.n

And last but not least; the module man pages (./modules/*/*.man)
/usr/share/man/mann/FvwmAudio.n
/usr/share/man/mann/FvwmAuto.n
/usr/share/man/mann/FvwmBacker.n
/usr/share/man/mann/FvwmBanner.n
/usr/share/man/mann/FvwmButtons.n
/usr/share/man/mann/FvwmCascade.n
/usr/share/man/mann/FvwmCpp.n
/usr/share/man/mann/FvwmForm.n
/usr/share/man/mann/FvwmIconBox.n
/usr/share/man/mann/FvwmIconBox.n
/usr/share/man/mann/FvwmIconMan.n
/usr/share/man/mann/FvwmIdent.n
/usr/share/man/mann/FvwmM4.n
/usr/share/man/mann/FvwmPager.n
/usr/share/man/mann/FvwmSave.n
/usr/share/man/mann/FvwmSaveDesk.n
/usr/share/man/mann/FvwmScroll.n
/usr/share/man/mann/FvwmTalk.n
/usr/share/man/mann/FvwmTile.n
/usr/share/man/mann/FvwmWinList.n

David

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Peter Billam <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 11:56:35 +1100 (EST)

>a filename.  I tried to modify the Makefile, but had no luck.  I have
There are two different "install"s in solaris; normal users have
/usr/ucb/install ahead in the PATH, but when you become superuser
to do the "make install", /usr/sbin/install comes first in the PATH
and it's completely different.  I got it to work by editing
/usr/openwin/lib/config/Imake.tmpl to include the line

#define InstallCmd /usr/ucb/install

or you could also try
# PATH=/usr/ucb:$PATH export PATH
# make install

Regards,  Peter Billam

System Administrator; Tel: (03) 62 325442, Fax: (03) 62 325000; CSIRO
Division of Marine Research, GPO Box 1538, Hobart TAS 7001, Australia

+-------------------------- 150 Years Ago -----------------------------+
|"All England stands wringing its hands ... mumbling to ourselves some |
| vague janglement of Laissez-faire,  Supply-and-demand,  Cash payment |
| the one nexus of man to man: Free-trade, Competition, and Devil take |
| the hindmost, our latest Gospel yet preached !"       Thomas Carlyle |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+