Subject: FVWM: fun with xlock

From: "David P. Ihnen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 17:10:31 -0800

I have been having users complain that they can't run xlock under xdm with
fvwm2.  I tried it (I don't usually use it) and they're right... I came up
with a work around (xterm -iconic -e xlock &) but I'm curious as to why the
setuid process doesn't work straight out of fvwm's Exec command.

Any ideas?

David

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 20:42:17 -0500 (EST)

> setuid process doesn't work straight out of fvwm's Exec command.

Are you on a sun, and you missed my sun-xlock thread a week or two ago....
then you have an answer... The variable "LOGNAME" is not set in X by
default. This is required for xlock to work properly. I'm not sure how to
set that in the default system X startup files... but at least now you're
halfway there :)
			-peace

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K?
w++++ O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5 X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>* 
h*(!) r- y*(+)
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
"Life is when you shake it" -- me