Subject: FVWM: Menu Bug ??

From: Eric Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 11:27:56 -0500

I've noticed a strange behavior (which seems new to 2.0.45) with my
menus since upgrading.

I invoke my "main" menu for calling applications via a keystroke, and
like to poke around the menu using the arrow keys or start apps via a
single letter key stroke.  But "sometimes" (I know that isn't much help,
and I've tried to narrow this down to a specific event, but have been
unable to thus far) pressing the key invokes the menu, but then it seems
the keyboard is "disjoint" from the menu.  By disjoint I mean: no keys
have any effect on the menu.  I can not scroll down the menu, nor can
any of my letter keys (corresponding to an application name) start any
apps, nor does the ESC key get rid of the menu. . . the only thing that
can operate on the menu is the mouse.

If I can be of any assistance in narrowing down the possible causes of
this behavior please let me know.

Eric.
-- 
From:  Eric Kahler.
[email-masked] 
http://mars.superlink.net/ekahler/index.html
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jim Knoble <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 14:42:17 -0500 (EST)

do you have NumLock or CapsLock pressed?  X11R6 and later have made the
*Lock keys into modifiers; fvwm has strange behavior when they're
activated (e.g., ClickToFocus works oddly if NumLock is pressed).

--jim

##############  jim knoble  ######  [email-masked]  ################

On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, Eric Kahler wrote:

: I've noticed a strange behavior (which seems new to 2.0.45) with my
: menus since upgrading.
: 
: I invoke my "main" menu for calling applications via a keystroke, and
: like to poke around the menu using the arrow keys or start apps via a
: single letter key stroke.  But "sometimes" (I know that isn't much help,
: and I've tried to narrow this down to a specific event, but have been
: unable to thus far) pressing the key invokes the menu, but then it seems
: the keyboard is "disjoint" from the menu.  By disjoint I mean: no keys
: have any effect on the menu.  I can not scroll down the menu, nor can
: any of my letter keys (corresponding to an application name) start any
: apps, nor does the ESC key get rid of the menu. . . the only thing that
: can operate on the menu is the mouse.
: 
: If I can be of any assistance in narrowing down the possible causes of
: this behavior please let me know.
: 
: Eric.
: --

---

From: Eric Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 21:07:46 -0500

> activated (e.g., ClickToFocus works oddly if NumLock is pressed).

No, definately not.

Though I do invoke my menu through a little function/hack so it always
pops up in the lower left hand corner.

The MS keyboard window key is assigned to Kanji by xmodmap:

	keycode 115 = Kanji

and Kanji is bound to a function in my .fvwmrc.keys file:

	Key Kanji       A       A       PopupUtils Utilities

and PopupUtils is defined as follows:

AddToFunc PopupUtils    "I"     CursorMove -1000 +1000
+                       "I"     Exec vplay
/usr/local/sound/win95/Robotz.Menu.Popup.wav
+                       "I"     Popup Utilities

But I never had any problems with this before upgrading to 2.0.45.