Subject: Re: FVWM: CDE

From: Pete Gaden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 11:33:11 GMT

> > I'm considering trying out fvwm (again), but now have CDE running.  Your
> > message implies that it's possible to get these to work together.  Do you
> > have a list of the steps necessary?
> 
> to get Fvwm working from login:
> 
> start CDE with the openwin option
> edit the .xintirc file
> so that it looks something like below. the .....

CDE on Solaris?  If so I've noted the following:

I think the .xinitrc MUST be bourne shell .....  Watch out for
the "odd" fontpath adopted by Solaris2 which makes netscape bold fonts (among
others look pretty "squished").  Here is my .xinitrc for what it's worth 
( fvwm2 is in my path and the .fvwm2rc is in my home ) with the fonts ajusted
...

The only "unsolved" problem I've come accross to-date is the xterm font
resize ( cntl+right mouse -> unreadable ) obliterates the text in the 
bufffer on resize.  All other fonts are ok.

(Incidently,  I tried the CDE installation manual's method of using the 
resource variable set to fvwm.  It worked fine but when you exit fvwm
you are left "stranded" with no way to logout!)

#!/bin/sh   -f

#xset b off
xset fp- /usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/F3bitmaps/
xset fp- /usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/F3/
xset fp+ /usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/F3/
xset fp+ /usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/F3bitmaps/

xhost + > /dev/null 
#xsetroot -solid #c0d0c0

exec fvwm2
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Graeme McCaffery)
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 11:45:20 +0000 (GMT)

> you are left "stranded" with no way to logout!)
the way to get over this problem is to get fvwm's process number and wait until
it is complete. at that point the .xintirc shell completes and you logout
so you need to change

> exec fvwm2

to 

fvwm2 &  & wmpid=$!

wait $wmpid

Graeme