Subject: FVWM: Separate styles for transients?

From: Justin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 17:12:32 +1100

I have been using Sun workstations for around 5 years now, and have
tried different window managers including ol(v)wm, (c)twm, and of
course fvwm.  Most of this time I have been using olvwm, and recently
have moved to fvwm v2.0.45 (a good move).

[ Some of you probably know all of this next paragraph already, so
  please bear with me ]

The problem I was hoping someone may be able to help with is to do
with the behaviour of OpenLook/XView child windows (transients in fvwm).
Under ol(v)wm, transients are "pinned", and are able to be dismissed
(closed) either by clicking on the pin graphic, or by using the "Open"
button on the (extended Sun) keyboard.  However, for non-transients,
the pin graphic is replaced by a button with a pull-down menu (window
controls), and the open button now toggles the window's iconified
state.

Being able to dismiss transient windows using the open key is very
nice, especially when using applications like FrameMaker which uses
them relatively frequently.

My question is:
Is it possible to bind keys and define title buttons to be different
for transient windows than for ordinary windows?  If not, could
this perhaps be added as a feature to the next version?

I have checked the manuals & docs and the only controls for
transient windows determine whether they are or aren't decorated
(DecorateTransient/NakedTransient).

Thanks in advance,

Justin

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Justin Rough                                 PhD Student
<[email-masked]>                        School of Computing & Maths
                                             Deakin University
URL: http://www.cm.deakin.edu.au/~ruffy      GEELONG VIC 3217
Phone: +61 3 52272880                        Australia
------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].