Subject: FVWM: keyboard bindings... n' stuff

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 14:53:52 -0500 (EST)

Hi, 
	I apologize if this is a slight off topic, but I am looking for a
program that will tell me what key's are bound to what... On a sun
keyboard, I'd like to bind the Open and Front (L5 and L7) keys to
something (well... I already bound them, but...). If I didn't know which
keys they were actually (lets say it was an old keyboard and the
letterings all rubbed off or there was an explosion and all printed
letters fell off the keyboard or something drastic like that..), what
applications could I use to find the key bindings? I had seen a response
to a similar question which invoked a very simple keyboard program (not
xev), but I lost the mail (as this was a very long time ago) and cannot
recall the program. Thank you for any ideas.
	Also, I was wondering about something... I looked through the
documentation on creating functions... and I wanted to create one for
Button 1 on my windows that would perform similarly to the Windblows Title
Bar menu thingy. I wanted to be able to click once and get a menu, or
double click and close the window. Therefore I put the following in my
.fvwm2rc:

	AddToFunc Menu-or-Exit          "I" Menu Window-Ops
	+                               "D" Close

But it did not work. The menu would open, but on double click, the pointer
turned into a dot. I later found that the only way to properly close a
window on double click within the function, I had to either omit the menu,
or open the menu using "C" or "M" instead of "I". Seeing as how I didn't
want the user to have to depress the mouse button to get the menu, I ended
up with the following:

	AddToFunc Menu-or-Exit          "M" Menu Window-Ops
	+                               "D" Close

I was just curious... what is the reason that something like this wouldn't
work with "I" ?
			-peace

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K?
w++++ O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5 X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>* 
h*(!) r- y*(+)
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
"Life is when you shake it" -- me

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 15:26:50 -0500

> recall the program. Thank you for any ideas.

Just using it  10 minutes ago.   You want Jamie Zawinski's "xkeycaps".
Any of the search engines should find it.

> ...
--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Markus Gutschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 21:33:46 +0100

> Any of the search engines should find it.

http://www.netscape.com/people/jwz/xkeycaps/index.html

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Feb 1997 17:14:21 +0100

>>>>> Kendrick Vargas writes:

  KV> 	AddToFunc Menu-or-Exit          "I" Menu Window-Ops
  KV> 	+                               "D" Close

Does the following work?

AddToFunc Menu-or-Exit "I" Menu Window-Ops Close

kai
-- 
A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.
(BFBS Radio)

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 12:08:59 -0500 (EST)

> AddToFunc Menu-or-Exit "I" Menu Window-Ops Close

Nope... thanx for the suggestion tho :)
			-peace

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Feb 1997 18:15:20 +0100

>>>>> Kendrick Vargas writes:

  Kai> Does the following work?
  Kai> AddToFunc Menu-or-Exit "I" Menu Window-Ops Close

  Kendrick> Nope... thanx for the suggestion tho :)

Hm.  I use the following and it works nicely:

,-----
| Mouse 0	1    	A      	Menu Window-Ops Close
`-----

Can you adapt this for your situation?

kai
-- 
~/.signature