Subject: FVWM: Re: fvwm / FvwmAuto problem

From: Romano Giannetti <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 09:43:26 +0100

>- AutoRaise can only be reliable if done by fvwm. (I think I couldn't
> convince Rob of this, sigh)

So I understand that it is not possible from FvwmAuto to check if a
window 
exists or it is really focused before trying to raise it. I can
understand 
the Rob (and Chuck, I suppose) idea of keeping small fvwm2, and...
well...
autoraising is almost a religious issue, I think. But colud not be
possible
to add a function to the main fvwm2 (or an option to Raise and Lower
command) 
in the style "raise it if and only if the window exists and is focused,
otherwise do a Nop"? Then FvwmAuto can use it to solve (I think) both
the black 
dot and the flip-flop problem. 

> PS:
> If you have any suggestions to hack out the "black dot", I'm ready to try
> anything -- my sparc10 is always slower than me :-)
> 

I used the hack proposed by albrecht (thanks*1000!) and it works for me:

AddToFunc raise_if_exist "I" WindowId $w raise
AddToFunc "InitFunction" "I" Module FvwmAuto 1500 raise_if_exist

I have no more black dots since then. Hope this helps you.
Bye,
	Romano

PD : I am no subscribed to the list, so please Cc: the answer to me. I
will 
try to read the list via the www archive interface. 

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Romano Giannetti     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione 
Researcher               Elettronica Informatica Telecomunicazioni
[email-masked]      University of Pisa
------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Jose M. Pereira)
Date: 17 Feb 1997 23:14:05 +0000

> I have no more black dots since then. Hope this helps you.

Thanks to all who answered.

Well, I tried this and is working so far.
That "WindowId" trick is really slick, Albrecht.

Now, if one could have functions as arguments, we could say:
AddToFunc do_if_exist "I" WindowId $w $0 $1...$9
and call:
do_if_exist iconify -1

;-)

-- 
Jose' Pereira
	     INESC (Inst. Eng. Sistemas e Computadores)
             R. Alves Redol 9, 6. 1000 Lisboa, PORTUGAL.
             Phone.: +351 1 3100223 Fax...: +351 1 3145843
 e-mail: [email-masked] PGP PUBLIC KEY: finger -m pereira @sabrina.inesc.pt
		<< Hit any user to continue >>
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 97 13:56:17 +0100

>>>>> Romano Giannetti writes:

R> But colud not be possible
R> to add a function to the main fvwm2 (or an option to Raise and Lower
R> command) 
R> in the style "raise it if and only if the window exists and is focused,
R> otherwise do a Nop"? Then FvwmAuto can use it to solve (I think) both
R> the black 
R> dot and the flip-flop problem. 

> anything -- my sparc10 is always slower than me :-)

R> I used the hack proposed by albrecht (thanks*1000!) and it works for me:

R> AddToFunc raise_if_exist "I" WindowId $w raise
R> AddToFunc "InitFunction" "I" Module FvwmAuto 1500 raise_if_exist

R> I have no more black dots since then. Hope this helps you.
R> Bye,
R> 	Romano

so with my first implementation of the WindowId function as a parameter to
the Prev/Next/None functions (chuck migh still have it lying around),
this could be used:

AddToFunc raise_if_exist "I" Next [WindowId $w, Focus] raise
AddToFunc "InitFunction" "I" Module FvwmAuto 1500 raise_if_exist

If chuck isn't able to find it in his patches, I might search for it once
more, but chuck urged me to make it an own function and then he rewrote 
the Prev/Next/None stuff for a more elaborate syntax.

So he'll have to tinker with it anyways.

Chuck ?

albrecht
-- 
My software never has bugs.  It just develops random features.

---

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 97 14:44:56 +0100

>>>>> Jose M Pereira writes:

> I have no more black dots since then. Hope this helps you.

J> Thanks to all who answered.

J> Well, I tried this and is working so far.
J> That "WindowId" trick is really slick, Albrecht.

thanks a lot for the compliment

J> Now, if one could have functions as arguments, we could say:
J> AddToFunc do_if_exist "I" WindowId $w $0 $1...$9
J> and call:
J> do_if_exist iconify -1

J> ;-)

as far as I know, this is working. (or I'm severely drunk at the moment)
my .fvwm2rc is full of such constructs.
have a look, it's on my homepage.

:-)

albrecht
-- 
How many Windows support staff does it take to change a light bulb?
Well, we have an exact copy of your bulb here, and it works fine.
Did you check your CONFIG.SYS?
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].