Subject: Re: FVWM: How does/should flipfocus work? (fwd)

From: Christopher Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 13:11:45 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Dan Niles wrote:

>> >window list is in an unknown state on start-up (or restart) so some
>> >focus events are necessary before you know what FlipFocus will do.
>> >Unless you cheat and look at the window list.  If you are trying
>> >to switch between xterms, and want it to work on startup, try:
>> 
>> But it shouldn't be in an indeterminate state after focusing and using
>> a few windows, should it?  That's what my problem appears to be.
>
>It has been a while, but I think that it will be in an indeterminate
>state.  Mouse focus and ordinary Focus events do not reorder the list.
>Chances are things will make sense when you look at the window list.
>Try using click-to-focus.  It is much more predictable because it does
>rewrite the window list, and you don't accidently focus on windows
>while passing the cursor over them.  I use Style "*" ClickToFocus and
>think it is great.  I have my keys setup so that I rarely have to
>touch my mouse at all.

Dan or anyone else,  

Try and explain this: I run WindowList from a menu, and it gives the
order

	Me
	Flamingo 
	You                     (dumb names)
	..others...

If I use FlipFocus, though, it moves between Me and You.

If I focus/raise Flamingo, the windowlist does not change, but
FlipFocus does not do anything at all now (but make the normal noise).
I focus/raise You, and FlipFocus still does nothing.  I raise/focus
Flamingo again, and now FlipFocus moves between Flamingo and you.
All this time, the list has been:

	Me
	Flamingo 
	You   
	..others...

Something is amiss here.

-Wolf

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].