Subject: Re: FVWM: Solaris 2.51, fvwm2 2.0.43 and the color shortage

From: Stephen Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 19:17:53 -0800

[email-masked] said:
> I can't even start one xterm which uses colors (e.g. blue on black). 
> Get the old "Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "#22eeff"". 

Netscape sucks up vast amounts of colors. It WILL fill up a color map
on an 8 bit deep display. And most sun framebuffers are only 8bits deep.
You have X on your Number9 configured to 16bits? Use xdpyinfo to see what
your X display can do.

-- 
Steve Williams
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.  But I have promises to keep,
And lines to code before I sleep, And lines to code before I sleep."

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Feb 1997 09:10:11 +0100

>>>>> [email-masked] said:

  SF> I can't even start one xterm which uses colors (e.g. blue on
  SF> black).  Get the old "Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry
  SF> for "#22eeff"".

>>>>> Stephen Williams writes:

  SW> Netscape sucks up vast amounts of colors. It WILL fill up a
  SW> color map on an 8 bit deep display. And most sun framebuffers
  SW> are only 8bits deep.  You have X on your Number9 configured to
  SW> 16bits? Use xdpyinfo to see what your X display can do.

Alternatives:

"netscape -install".  Produces colormap flashing.

"netscape -ncols 150".  Gifs aren't as pretty as they could be, if
Netscape isn't allowed to use more than 150 colors.  I use this
alternative most of the time.

kai
-- 
The arms should be held in a natural and unaffected way and never
be conspicuous. -- Revised Technique of Latin American Dancing
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].