Subject: FVWM: A Few new? ButtonStyles

From: Eric Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 15:01:26 -0500

Hi,

        I've finally figured out how to design buttons from the users
perspective.  For those would be button designers:

On a piece of graph paper, make a verticle Y axis on the right hand side
from 0 at the top of the Y axis to 100 at the bottom of the Y axis, and
make a horizontal X axis from 0 at the left hand side of the X axis to
100 on the right hand side of the X axis where, at 100, it will meet the
Y axis.  Then draw your button design on this graph, and mark the,
corners, or points of intersection, based on the (X,Y) coordinates of
this graph.  The button coordinates should be entered into one's .fvwmrc
in such an order as you can trace the lines from point to point on the
graph you made.  When you enter the coordinates into your .fvwm2rc use
the form XxY@shade.  From the users perspective the shade will be either
0 for shadow, or 1 for light.

These are the button styles which I've designed, I haven't seen them
before, so I believe they are new:

# 3 stacked square panels like stills of a window being minimized
#ButtonStyle 4 17 80x20@0 80x60@0 60x60@0 60x40@0 60x70@0 40x70@0
40x60@0 40x85@0 15x85@0 15x60@1 40x60@1 30x60@1 30x40@1 60x40@1 45x40@1
45x20@1 80x20@1

# 3 stacked rectangular panels like stills of a window being minimized
# could also represent windows being tiled
ButtonStyle 4 17 95x20@0 95x60@0 75x60@0 75x40@0 75x70@0 55x70@0 55x60@0
55x85@0 15x85@0 15x60@1 55x60@1 30x60@1 30x40@1 75x40@1 45x40@1 45x20@1
95x20@1

# 2 stacked rectangular panels like stills of a window being maximized
ButtonStyle 2 11 95x10@0 95x75@0 25x75@0 65x75@0 65x90@0 10x90@0 10x55@1
25x55@1 25x75@1 25x10@1 95x10@1

I don't use the first, it was my first attempt.  I use the second as my
minimize or iconify  button, and I use the last as my Maximize button. 
To me, these buttons offer a graphical representation of the action
which pressing them will perform.

I'll be posting a revised screenshot to my FVWM web page this afternoon
for those who'd like to see what these look like.

-- 
From:  Eric Kahler.
[email-masked] 
http://mars.superlink.net/ekahler/index.html
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].