Subject: FVWM: Wierdness with FvwmCpp

From: "L.P.Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 18:14:13 +0000 (GMT)

Hello

I run Redhat V4.0 and am pretty sick of the fvwm95 - type interface. So I
got hold of several desktops designed during their recent competition (see
www.redhat.com - there are some nice ideas).  Most that I've tried work
well, however one particular design has given me a lot of trouble.  This
particular desktop uses fvwm2.0.43 or above (I've tried 2.0.43 and 2.0.45)
and the FvwmCpp C preprocessor.

However when I try to run X using startx (calling .Xclients) I get the
following error messages and FVWM refuses to start:

[FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm2
^?ELF^A^A^A

[FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm2
.5

[FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwD^Dh*hU

[FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm2
t^Ey

[FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwF^D^C

[FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwmQC^P^D^D^D^D^DA`^Ew{^X@29d

[FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm2 u

Now to me this looks like FVWM is reading in a binary file as list of
modules.  I've looked at several things, but nothing seems to solve the
problem.  I have noted that the problem persists even if I remove all the
entries for the preprocessing from .fvwm2rc, ie leave the file blank. This
seems to indicate that there is a problem with the preprocessor or a file
it calls.  The command used to initiate fvwm in .Xclients is 

exec fvwm2 -f "FvwmCpp -debug $RCFILE" -display :0 \
                > $HOME/.FVWM2-errors 2>&1

I've even tried altering this, eg:

fvwm2 -f "FvwmCpp .fvwm2rc" -display :0 \
                > $HOME/.FVWM2-errors 2>&1

The junk in the error messages looks suspiciously like the start of
FvwmCpp itself.

Any answers, or any hints?

Paul

Llewelyn Paul Williams      [email-masked]
                            [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 97 13:24:57 EST

%% Regarding FVWM: Wierdness with FvwmCpp; you wrote:

  lpw> fvwm2 -f "FvwmCpp .fvwm2rc" -display :0 $HOME/.FVWM2-errors 2>&1

This is wrong.

  lpw> The junk in the error messages looks suspiciously like the start of
  lpw> FvwmCpp itself.

  lpw> Any answers, or any hints?

You're exactly right, it _is_ the start of FvwmCpp.

>From the fvwm2(1) man page:

     -f config_file
          Causes fvwm to Read config_file instead of ".fvwm2rc" as its ini-
          tialization file.  This is equivalent to -cmd "Read config_file".

So, you're giving fvwm2 a config file of "FvwmCpp", which is a binary.
Surprising that it finds it, actually :).  The right way to do this,
again from the fvwm2 man page, is:

  M4 PREPROCESSING
       M4 pre-processing is handled by a module in  fvwm-2.0.   To  get  more
       details,  try  man  FvwmM4.   In short, if you want fvwm to parse your
       files with m4, then replace the word  "Read"  with  "FvwmM4"  in  your
       .fvwm2rc file (if it appears at all), and start fvwm2 with the command

            fvwm2 -cmd "FvwmM4 .fvwm2rc"
------------------^^^^

  CPP PREPROCESSING
       Cpp is the C-language pre-processor.  fvwm-2.0 offers  cpp  processing
       which  mirrors  the  m4 pre-processing.  To find out about it, re-read
       the M4 section above, but replace "m4" with "cpp".

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     These are my opinions--Bay Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].