Subject: FVWM: bug in fvwm 2.0.45?

From: Allen Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Feb 1997 23:41:33 -0700

I saw this in 2.0.44 as well. 

I have the following:

DeskTopSize 2x2

Key KP_7        A       M       GotoPage 0 0
Key KP_9        A       M       GotoPage 1 0
Key KP_1        A       M       GotoPage 0 1
Key KP_3        A       M       GotoPage 1 1

So I use the meta key and my number pad to move around my 2x2 desktops. 
Now, after I quit netscape, none of these commands work, although these still
do:

Key Left	A	M	Scroll -100 0
Key Right	A	M	Scroll +100 +0
Key Up		A	M	Scroll +0   -100
Key Down	A	M	Scroll +0   +100

So, fvwm can still recognize actions bound to meta-something, and move the
page around, but GotoPage doesn't seem to work.

Once I change the current page, either with FvwmPager, or one of the Scroll
commands, then everything works fine again.

-- 
 Brady Montz
 [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 08:19:25 -0500

> commands, then everything works fine again.

I  believe this has been  reported before.  For  me, this is the worst
bug remaining in fvwm2.

I see a slightly different  set of symptoms, NO key  works until I use
the mouse to do something.

So far I   have found  that both  gimp   and netscape can   cause this
behavior.

If there is a window under the gimp or netscape that the mouse pointer
falls into, you won't see   this problem.  You   only see it when  the
mouse pointer ends up on the root.  (I use mousefocus.)

On the testing I have done so far, if you watch a window's events with
xev, as it exits, most applications generate "unmapnotify", where gimp
and netscape don't.

Fvwm2 does do some processing on unmapnotify, but  I don't see what it
does that would cause this problem.

I have made some attempts to understand what is going on in fvwm2, but
so far  I am mystified.  If  someone could explain  to me how fvwm2 is
supposed to see keypress events when it  gives focus to other windows,
and what the "NoFocusWin" is, maybe I could make some progress.

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 97 23:22:49 +0100

>>>>> Dan Espen writes:

> I saw this in 2.0.44 as well. 

[...]

> commands, then everything works fine again.

D> I  believe this has been  reported before.  For  me, this is the worst
D> bug remaining in fvwm2.

what, I seem to be lacking the original message.

albrecht
-- 
And if my owners let me have some free time some day
With all good intention I would probably run away
clutching the short straw.	-- Marillion
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 09:19:16 -0500

> what, I seem to be lacking the original message.

Well, I can't prove this was reported  before, and I  can't find it in
the bug list or todo list.  Never the less,  I have the problem, and I
assume others can reproduce it as well.  If not, I would be interested
to hear that.

To give the problem a short description:

"keyboarding doesn't work after exiting certain applications including
Netscape, when the mouse pointer drops on to the root window".

Despite the subject line above, this is not a new problem in 2.0.45.