Subject: FVWM: Re: none

From: Sharad Gaur <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 14:34:56 +0531

Q.1) How can I add a single application to all the desks??
   (Like FWM Pager is there on all the desks)

Q.2) When ever I click mouse on any of the windows it is brought
     to the top but I have to click again to get it in context??
     What I want is that as I move my mouse on a xterm it should
     become active and my keyboard input should go to that xterm.
     Rightnow I have click once to make that xterm active.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Feb 1997 10:22:11 +0100

>>>>> Sharad Gaur writes:

  Sharad> Q.1) How can I add a single application to all the desks??
  Sharad>    (Like FWM Pager is there on all the desks)

Make it sticky.  There is a function for that.  RTFM and search for
"sticky".

  Sharad> Q.2) When ever I click mouse on any of the windows it is
  Sharad>      brought to the top but I have to click again to get it
  Sharad>      in context??  What I want is that as I move my mouse on
  Sharad>      a xterm it should become active and my keyboard input
  Sharad>      should go to that xterm.  Rightnow I have click once to
  Sharad>      make that xterm active.

RTFM and search for ClickToFocus and for FocusFollowsMouse and for
SloppyFocus.  I use SloppyFocus and I'm very happy with it.

kai
-- 
The arms should be held in a natural and unaffected way and never
be conspicuous. -- Revised Technique of Latin American Dancing
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jochen Hayek <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Feb 1997 11:41:23 +0100

>>>>> "SG" == Sharad Gaur <[email-masked]> writes:

    SG> Q.1) How can I add a single application to all the desks??
    SG>    (Like FWM Pager is there on all the desks)

There is no magic about the Pager.
And you even suggest yourself how to find out how it works:
Search you rc file for the pager,
and find something like

    Style "FvwmPager"       Sticky

`Sticky' is the attribute you ask for.

    SG> Q.2) When ever I click mouse on any of the windows

you mean withing the pager!?!

that only makes it appear and `raise'.

    SG>      it is brought
    SG>      to the top but I have to click again to get it in context??
    SG>      What I want is that as I move my mouse on a xterm it should
    SG>      become active and my keyboard input should go to that xterm.

Well, there are different models of how the focus follows the mouse.

>From the `rc' file:

    #Style "*" ClickToFocus

That one was used before (obviously without `#').

    Style "*" SloppyFocus

But I also prefer this one.

I found that only by using the fvwm(95) `Configure' module

    (they call it `trails mouse' there;
    the alternatives are `follows mouse' and `click' (i.e. `click to type')),

which was removed temporarily from the distribution,
and looking at the `rc' `includable' file generated by it.

    SG>      Rightnow I have click once to make that xterm active.

jh