Subject: Re: FVWM: How does/should flipfocus work?

From: Dan Niles <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 11:57:05 -0600

> What a #^&%$!!  I'm playing with it, and I've yet to see anything that
> reorders the window list when using mouse focus.  I'd *love* to use
> FlipFocus, but I'm not changing to ClickToFocus just to do it!
> 
> I suppose I could start things in just the right order to get this all
> to work out, but that seems really silly!
> 
> -Wolf               
> 

The sorting and reordering of the window list is one of the places I
think fvwm could use some improvement.  I discussed it with Charles
Hines a while back, and we could not think of a better way.

It would be possible to have sloppy focus (ie focus follows mouse)
reorder the window list.  This could be a big overhead so
perhaps is should be an option.  It has been a long time since I
looked at the code, and I am very busy.  If someone could point me
to the correct place for mouse focus code, I will look into the
possibility of reording the window list when focus follows
mouse is active.

Dan

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "David P. Ihnen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 09:41:14 -0800

>possibility of reording the window list when focus follows

Wouldn't this cause the windows to relayer upon moving the mouse?
That would be REALLY annoying.  a smaller window on a larger one 
would vanish from view the moment the mouse slipped out of the big
window, forcing relocation, minimization, or utilization of the
window list - inconvienient.  Of course, if the order in the window 
list is a focus list instead of a layer list, it would be okay.

David
---
David Ihnen
Sysadmin Core Lab Operations
Cisco Systems
Phone: (408) 52(7-0582)
Pager: (408) 418-0498

---

From: Dan Niles <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 13:00:12 -0600

> list is a focus list instead of a layer list, it would be okay.

The order in the window list has no affect on how the desktop looks.

Dan

---

From: Dan Niles <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 13:00:12 -0600

Dan