Subject: FVWM: Odd behavior

From: "David P. Ihnen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 19:00:40 -0800

I downloaded and compiled the latest version of fvwm2, to verify that these
problems have not been solved, which I have had with an earlier version.

fvwm doesn't always connect to the remote terminal properly (using xdm)

This seems to happen when the remote terminal uses a dns name to specify the
address of the terminal.

If in xdm failsafe mode, I enter 'fvwm2 -display <ipaddress>:0' it works.
if in xdm failsafe mode, I enter 'fvwm2 -display <dns name>:0' it fails.

As an aside, I've had this error when trying to run xdm on consoles of
solaris 2.5.1 as well, though it only seems to happen on half the machines.
Display :0 can't be opened?  doesn't seem reasonable.

Perhaps there is an error in the gethostbyname code?  or perhaps I need to
throw a special compile flag?  Perhaps my xdm configuration is flawed?

has ANYBODY had this problem before? 

Please help

David

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].