Subject: FVWM: fvwm95 click-to-focus & autoraise?

From: Don Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 10:27:51 -0800

Hello,

Is it OK to ask fvwm95 questions here?
Forgive my ignorance, I'm brand new to this list and don't want to
breach etiquette.

I'll proceed as if the answer is yes.

I switched from fvwm to fvwm95 a year or so ago (I like the taskbar).
I like the click-to-focus style, but not autoraise. I have played with
the startup file but cannot get rid of the autoraise feature. I've tried
using the FvwmAuto module with the delay set, I've tried not using the
FvwmAuto module, it doesn't make any difference. Whenever I click in a
window it immediately raises.

I'm currently running fvwm95-2.0.41f on a Red Hat linux 3.0.3 box.

Any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks, and sorry if this is the wrong forum.

--
 don morris
 [email-masked]
 [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thimo Jansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 23:50:13 +0100

Hi,

> Forgive my ignorance, I'm brand new to this list and don't want to

Well, this list is about fvwm2 and as fvwm95 is developed seperately from
fvwm2, this is not the right place to ask such questions.

> I'll proceed as if the answer is yes.

I will to that too, although the answer is no.

> window it immediately raises.

I doubt this is possible with fvwm95. It is based on an older version of
fvwm2 and the thing you want was just added to fvwm2, known as
'ClickToFocusDoesntRaise'. So here comes the reason I'm replying to this
message: Use fvwm2! Now-a-days there's no reason left not to use it (if
you compare it with fvwm95). It can be easily hacked to look just like
Win95 (various examples on the 'net) and fvwm95's TaskBar has been
_ported_ to fvwm2 (http://www.donet.com/dmahurin/pub/). Back in the days
I used this TaskBar too, but now that I've _learned_ to use FvwmIconMan I
like it much more (and the TaskBar has gone).

Just give fvwm2 a try and I'm sure you'll love it! :)

> Any pointers are appreciated.

Is this good enough? :)

> Thanks, and sorry if this is the wrong forum.

'Sorry' accepted! But I sure hope, the next time you will ask questions
here, they'll be about fvwm2 instead of fvwm95. :)

Greetings,

Thimo Jansen

-- 
TeeJay signing off:  Avoid the Gates of Hell.  Use Linux
*** Finger for PGP PUBLIC KEY ***
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Feb 1997 19:37:51 +0100

>>>>> Don Morris writes:

  Don> I switched from fvwm to fvwm95 a year or so ago (I like the
  Don> taskbar).  I like the click-to-focus style, but not autoraise.

Fvwm 2.0.45 (not fvwm95!) groks a global option that does this:

    GlobalOpts ClickToFocusDoesntRaise

You can configure fvwm 2.0.45 to look pretty much like Win95.  The
newest version of FvwmIconMan can do everything the taskbar can except
for the start menu.  But you can create an FvwmButtons module with an
FvwmIconMan in it and a button that pops up a menu, and there you are.

kai
-- 
~/.signature

---

From: Choksing Taweponsomkiat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 11:04:00 -0800

Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> for the start menu. 
	How do I do that? The version I have doesn't grow horizontally.

> kai

======================================================================
Choksing Taweponsomkiat.
E-mail : [email-masked] 
Address: Central Coast Systems, Inc.
	 425 Sumner Ave
	 Aptos, CA 95003
phone  : (408)688-3615       fax : (408)688.3903
======================================================================
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Feb 1997 11:25:02 +0100

>>>>> Choksing Taweponsomkiat writes:

  Kai> You can configure fvwm 2.0.45 to look pretty much like Win95.
  Kai> The newest version of FvwmIconMan can do everything the taskbar
  Kai> can except for the start menu.

  Choksing> How do I do that? The version I have doesn't grow
  Choksing> horizontally.

Hm, there is a newer version of FvwmIconMan at
ftp.cs.arizona.edu:/people/bradym.  It doesn't grow horizontally, but
you can tell it to have a certain geometry.  When more buttons for
more windows are added, the existing buttons shrink horizontally to
make room for the new buttons.  Isn't this the behavior of the Win95
taskbar, too?

Btw, because of the set geometry, it is possible to put FvwmIconMan
into FvwmButtons.

kai

---

From: Don Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 11:10:30 -0800

> > > Just give fvwm2 a try and I'm sure you'll love it! :)

Many thanks to those who responded to my original query.

Thimio was right! I've made the switch and I'm extremely happy with my
fvwm2 setup. I really appreciate the help that you all have provided.