Subject: FVWM: fvwm

From: "Zuberi,A." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 15:22:30 -0600

Hi there!

I have just downloaded the fvwm ver number 2.0.45 on my Sol 2.5 box.
Don't know what to next. Is there anybody out there who can help me in
compiling the stuff. If possible, if somebody has documented set of steps to
compile it.

Thanks in advance

Asim
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jochen Hayek <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Feb 1997 22:51:53 +0100

>>>>> Zuberi,A  writes:

    AZ> Hi there!

    AZ> I have just downloaded the fvwm ver number 2.0.45 on my Sol
    AZ> 2.5 box.  Don't know what to next. Is there anybody out there
    AZ> who can help me in compiling the stuff. If possible, if
    AZ> somebody has documented set of steps to compile it.

Just as all modern GNU stuff:

	tar ztvf PACKAGE.tar.gz
	cd PACKAGE
	./configure
	make

So far as ordinary user, but this part as root:

	make install

---------------

This kind of answer does not justify my _public_ answer.

The reason why I do it nevertheless:

A colleague of mine installed this package also on a Solaris 2.5 box,
and the `make install' created /usr/local/{bin,lib}
only _after_ copying something `below' those directories.
But because `below' does not work,
/usr/local/{bin,lib} are created as ordinary files instead.

That must be repaired.

Normally this bug does not have any effect,
because `everybody' already has those directories,
but apparently some don't ...

So for the time being:

	mkdir /usr/local/{bin,lib}

before `make install' as root.

    AZ> Thanks in advance

    AZ> Asim

cheers

jh

---

From: Rory Molinari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 17:22:04 -0500 (EST)

>>>>> "Jochen" == Jochen Hayek <[email-masked]> writes:

[question about installing fvwm2.0.45 snipped]

Jochen> Just as all modern GNU stuff:

Jochen> 	tar ztvf PACKAGE.tar.gz
                     ^

I think this should be 'zxvf'.  Otherwise the archive is not
extracted, but rather the files contained in it are listed to stdout.

Jochen> 	cd PACKAGE
Jochen> 	./configure
Jochen> 	make

Does fvwm have a 'configure' file?  I compiled 2.0.45 last week and the
process was:

	edit Fvwm.tmpl
	make Makefiles
	make

[snip]

While I'm writing, I thought I'd mention the following.

I compiled v2.0.45, realised I'd left out a critical '/' in one of the
paths in Fvwm.tmpl, so made the change to that file, and started the
process again.  The trouble was that 'make Makefiles' didn't rebuild
the Makefiles in the directories fvwm, modules/*, etc.  It was no
problem, as I just deleted all of the old Makefiles and ran
'make Makefiles' again, but shouldn't make detect the change in
Fvwm.tmpl (which, after all, affects xmkmf's output in this case).

Rory Molinari
[email-masked]

---

From: Jochen Hayek <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Feb 1997 11:25:11 +0100

>>>>> Rory Molinari writes:

>>>>> "Jochen" == Jochen Hayek <[email-masked]> writes:
    RM> [question about installing fvwm2.0.45 snipped]

    RM>         ^

    RM> I think this should be 'zxvf'.  Otherwise the archive is not
    RM> extracted, but rather the files contained in it are listed to stdout.

perfectly right.

    Jochen> cd PACKAGE
    Jochen> ./configure
    Jochen> make

    RM> Does fvwm have a 'configure' file?
    RM> I compiled 2.0.45 last week and the process was:
    RM> [...]

Sorry, I confused that with fvwm95-2.0.42a .
And there you really don't need imake any longer.

    RM> [...]

jh