Subject: FVWM: fvwm2 bug

From: Bryson Borg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 20:05:04 -0500

dear folks,

i would like to report an apparent bug in fvwm2 that extends up to
2.0.45.  the problem occurrs with the program Maelstrom running on an X
server managed by fvwm2 with libc-5.4.x.  this bug manifests itself in
Maelstrom having a window if indefinately large size that extends to the
right and below.  in 2.0.43 the window would also extend to cover any
virtual desktops that were to the right and below the place from which
the program was initially run.  in 2.0.45, this window doesn't extend to
any other desktops than the one it is run on.  Maelstrom only occurs
within the upper left 640x480 space of this window (it normally only
runs in a 640x480 window).

Maelstrom works correctly on a server managed by fvwm1 with libc-5.4.x
and on a server managed by fvwm2 with libc-5.2.18.  

if it is pertinent, this behavior has persisted through almost all of
the recent 2.0.x kernel series, running XFree86 3.2 and Accelerated-X,
and on at least three different machines (a 486, pentium, and a PPro). 
in my experience, this behavior has not been exhibited with any other
programs.

happy bug hunting.

------------------------------------------------------------------

  Bryson Borg := [email-masked]

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a
philosopher.

                          - Ambrose Bierce
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "N. Dan Zou" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 22:05:17 -0800 (PST)

> runs in a 640x480 window).

I definitely second your findings, at first I thought it was a bug with
Maelstrom, but like you said, on fvwm version 1 it works correctly.

> in my experience, this behavior has not been exhibited with any other

In my experience, Netscape shares this exact same problem.  I'm also
running on Linux (2.0.29), XFree86 (3.2), libc-5.4.13.  When I launch
netscape, it always creates a window larger than the physical screen
size.  Has anyone else seen this behavior in Netscape?

--
N. Dan Zou                           650 Castro Street, Suite 270
Systems Engineer                     Mountain View, California 94041
Stanford Management Group, Inc.      Phone: (415) 966 1895
#include <std/disclaimer.h>

---

From: "Bill Randle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 08:06:49 -0800

Regarding oversized windows, we are also seeing this with 'xddts' on a Sparc
Solaris 2.5 system. When the project selection window is opened, it grows
horizontally to fill the entire screen and then some.

I had no problems with fvwm 1.24r. I'm not saying this is a fvwm2 bug, it
could be that xddts (which is just an X wrapper around ddts) is not doing
something quite right and it didn't bother fvwm1. I'm using fvwm 2.0.44.

	-Bill Randle
	Tektronix, Inc.
	[email-masked]

---

From: Choksing Taweponsomkiat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 11:07:22 -0800

> size.  Has anyone else seen this behavior in Netscape?

	I have that problem too.

-- 
======================================================================
Choksing Taweponsomkiat.
E-mail : [email-masked] 
Address: Central Coast Systems, Inc.
	 425 Sumner Ave
	 Aptos, CA 95003
phone  : (408)688-3615       fax : (408)688.3903
======================================================================
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jamie Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 18:10:19 -0500 (EST)

I had this problem as well.  The only sol'n I found was to decrease
the font size (in netscape).

jamie

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 18:22:14 -0500 (EST)

> > > size.  Has anyone else seen this behavior in Netscape?

I never had this problem (linux 2.0.29, XFree86 3.2, libc-5.4.13) running
netscape. I run at resolutions of 1024x768 and up, and I've never had
netscape run at a size bigger than my screen... 
			-peace

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GAT d- s:+ !a C+(+++) UI/L/S/B++(+++) P>+ L+(++) E---- W+++ N+ o? K?
w++++ O--- M-- V PS+++@ PE Y-- PGP+ t++ 5 X++ R- tv+ b DI++ D+ G e>* 
h*(!) r- y*(+)
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
"Life is when you shake it" -- me

---

From: Jamie Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 18:37:19 -0500 (EST)

> the font size (in netscape).

For the record (if anyone cares), changes to .Xdefaults and 
netscapes app-defaults file didn't take either...

jamie

---

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 22:39:05 -0500

Bryson Borg:
> right and below.

This problem happened to my Maelstrom too, but it got corrected by another
release. Here's some info I found on debian's bug tracking system about this:

| From: Philippe Troin <[email-masked]>
| 
| 
| On Sun, 01 Dec 1996 19:44:37 PST Philippe Troin ([email-masked]) wrote:
| 
| > Package: maelstrom
| > Version: 1.4.1-L6-4
| > 
| > I don't know why, but now maelstrom opens a real huge window, but it 
| > used to work correctly. Real huge means 13936x825, as reported by 
| > xwininfo
| > Maybe it's the new libc ?
| 
| Confirmed. The insidious malloc bug stroke again. An export
| LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libgnumalloc.so fixed the problem.
| 
| Phil.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].