Subject: Re: FVWM: Trouble with Swallow (UseOld,Noclose) in 2.0.45

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 97 16:49:17 +0100

>>>>> gottlieb  writes:

g> I am running 2.0.45 and find this doesn't work as advertised.

g> I had been using
g> *FvwmButtons(2x2, Size 50 50, \
g> 	Swallow(UseOld,NoClose) XClock "Exec xclock -padding 3")

g> It looks fine on the display but if I do a Researt fvwm2
g> I have two clock processes (as revealed by ps x).

g> It appears that after the old clock is released by button-bar, it is
g> not reacquired.  

g> If, after say three clocks are listed by ps I close the button bar
g> without restarting, the swallowed clock is unswallowed as expected but
g> there is only one clock displayed and winlist shows only one clock
g> entry (but ps x still shows 3).

g> I have also tried this with another client, xbuffy, with very similar
g> results.

there still is 'the timing bug' in module restarts:

fvwmbuttons needs time to unswallow its subwindows, or they're not mapped,
when the new FvwmButtons is started. 
If the new button bar cannot find a mapped clock, it starts a new one.
simple and difficult to handle.

I had exactly the same symptoms. I now use:

AddToFunc ExitFunction	"I"	KillModule FvwmButtons
+			"I"	FvwmBanner
+			"I"	Wait FvwmBanner

AddToFunc RestartFunction "I"	Module FvwmButtons
+			"I"	Module FvwmAuto 500
+			"I"	FvwmBanner
+			"I"	Wait FvwmBanner
+			"I"	Next [emacs] focus

the FvwmBanner / Wait FvwmBanner provides time for the old windows to be
mapped 

albrecht
-- 
Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
What did you dream? It's alright we told you what to dream.
You dreamed of a big star, he played a mean guitar,
He always ate in the Steak Bar. He loved to drive in his Jaguar.
So welcome to the machine.				-- Pink Floyd
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Chris Rode <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 11:26:46 CST

----->> i had the same thing in my ExitFunction, but ever since 2.0.44
(and including 2.0.45, where this is supposed to be fixed, i
thought...), the Wait hangs.  it kills the FvwmButtons, displays the
FvwmBanner, the FvwmBanner goes away, and then nothing happens.  period.
What really perplexes me, however, is that someone at my site is using a
.fvwm2rc based on mine, is using a copy of the same binary i'm using,
and it works for him.  i can send copies of both rc files, if anyone's
interested...

i'm running 2.0.45 on:
* DEC Ultrix 4.3
* Digital Unix (OSF/1) 3.2
* Irix 5.3

this problem occurs on all three platforms.  i tried making an rc with
just an exit function that looked like:

AddToFunc ExitFunction
+	I	Module FvwmBanner
+	I	Wait FvwmBanner

and a menu that restarted fvwm2, bound to mouse button 1 in the root
window.  i still got the hang.  any ideas?

--chris.

--
"an unbearable pain, a beating in my brain, that leaves the mark of
 cain, right here inside...what am i supposed to do, when everything
 that i've done, is leading me to conclude, i'm not the one...whatever
 i've done, i've been staring down the barrel of a gun..." -- dM.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].