Subject: FVWM: How does/should flipfocus work?

From: Christopher Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 13:34:20 -0600 (CST)

How does flipfocus work?  I have:

Key  R9         RWTSFIA N       Prev [CurrentPage] FlipFocus

do not use click-to-focus, and only have a few xterms in the circulate
list, which is always what I want to flip between.  This does not seem
to work a lot of the time.  I seem to have to focus the window, click,
and press return in various combinations between the two windows before
I can get this to work.  

Also, what's the difference between FlipFocus and Focus, when used in
this manner?

-Wolf                  [[email-masked]]                 (713)274-4003
         Life would be so much easier if everyone read the manual. 

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Niles <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 10:28:17 -0600

> Key  R9         RWTSFIA N       Prev [CurrentPage] FlipFocus

This is correct, but the window column is confusing.  Just use A for Any.

Key  R9         A        N       Prev [CurrentPage] FlipFocus

> and press return in various combinations between the two windows before

If you look at your window list, FlipFocus will always take you to then
next window as selected by Prev (This is the same as Focus).   The
window list is in an unknown state on start-up (or restart) so some
focus events are necessary before you know what FlipFocus will do.
Unless you cheat and look at the window list.  If you are trying
to switch between xterms, and want it to work on startup, try:

Key  R9         A        N       Prev [CurrentPage Xterm] FlipFocus
Key  R9         A        S       Prev [CurrentPage Xterm] Focus

This make R9 (What is R9?) toggle between the top two xterms, while
Shift-R9 will rotate around the list in the normal fassion.

> Also, what's the difference between FlipFocus and Focus, when used in

FlipFocus always switches to the Prev window on the list AND
switches the order of the list so that the next call to Prev will 
bring you to the window you were last in. Focus does not switch
the order on the list.  The best way to observe what FlipFocus does
is to watch the window list while using it.  You will see the order
change.

Dan