Subject: FVWM: Suggestion: bind arbitrary commands for modules to window buttons

From: Stefan Stille <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 15:03:08 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

I've got a suggestion for the future development, which needs only a small
patch to fvwm and the module interface. I have, in fact, already made
quick (and dirty :-)) patches to the code myself. I hope that this feature
is really new since I have not been able to take a closer look at the
2.0.44 and 2.0.45 releases.
It'll be nice to bind arbitrary commands to mouse buttons which are sent
directly to the modules connected to fvwm to further integrate
them. To realize this, my suggestion is to define a new module message
(which I have called M_MISC_MESSAGE for now) which would contain the
command as an attached string. Most modules would perhaps ignore this
message, others would analyze the string and execute the appropriate
action.
If the suggested functionality was integrated into fvwm-code, modules
could communicate which each other via fvwm by just using its internal
communication facilities. This could be used for instance to write a
common GUI for different modules... 

Stefan. 

______________________________________________________________________________

Stefan Stille                           

TU Braunschweig                                 
Inst. fuer Datenverarbeitungsanlagen            Tel:   (0531) 391-3731
Hans-Sommer-Str. 66                             Fax:             -4587
38106 Braunschweig                              email: [email-masked]

"Not from the stars do I my judgement plug, 
and yet methinks I have astronomy!"
 
                                            ---    Will Shakespeare
______________________________________________________________________________

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Mende Pie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 08:20:24 -0800

> common GUI for different modules... 

This is a direct cut/paste our of the 2.0.45 man page ... I think your
function is already in there.

          SendToModule modulename string
               Sends an arbitrary string (no quotes required) to all
               modules matching modulename, which may contain
               wildcards.  This only makes sense if the module is set
               up to understand and deal with these strings though...
               Can be used for module to module communication, or
               implementation of more complex commands in modules.

I have started working on a perl program that will act like a
multi-function module.   I plan to use the SendToModule function to cuase
diffrent things to happen.   

                              /Bob...                   [email-masked]
                        http://reality.sgi.com/mende/          KF6EID