Subject: FVWM: 2.0.44 compile issue on Solaris2.5

From: [email-masked] (Scott Seighman)
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 14:17:12 -0500

Folks,

I have encountered a compile issue on Solaris 2.5 that I have not been able 
to resolve.  I receive this error at link time:

[stuff snipped]
.
.
.
rm -f fvwm2
gcc -o fvwm2 add_window.o  bindings.o  borders.o  builtins.o  colormaps.o  colors.o  complex.o  decorations.o  events.o  focus.o  functions.o  fvwm.o  icons.o  menus.o  misc.o  module.o  move.o  placement.o  read.o  resize.o  style.o  virtual.o  windows.o -O -pipe   -L/usr/openwin/lib ../libs/libfvwm2.a -lXpm  -lXext -lX11   
Undefined                       first referenced
 symbol                             in file
_mcount                             ../libs/libfvwm2.a(ClientMsg.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to fvwm2
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `fvwm2'

I used "nm" to determined if it (_mcount) was defined, and all appears 
well...

Any suggestions...?

Thanks,
Scott Seighman
Chiron Diagnostics
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Michael Kirby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 11:18:17 PST

On 22 Jan 97 at 11:17, Scott Seighman wrote:

[SNIP]

> windows.o -O -pipe   -L/usr/openwin/lib ../libs/libfvwm2.a -lXpm 
> -lXext -lX11

Well,

When you reference an already installed libfvwm2.a file it isn't using the one you 
just compiled, so if there were any changes to the fvwm library you are going
to be hosed.

My suggestion is not to install the fvwm2 library (you shouldn't need it, unless
you are doing some kind of programming), and if you do, you should be careful
of this bug in the future.

Chuck, I thought this was fixed in the makefile, to make it look for the locally 
compiled library, instead of an installed on.

Mike

---
[email-masked]
To obtain my PGP public key, mail "SEND PUB KEY" in the 
subject to "[email-masked]"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 15:36:59 -0500

>>>>> "MK" == Michael Kirby <[email-masked]> writes:

MK> On 22 Jan 97 at 11:17, Scott Seighman wrote:
MK> [SNIP]

>> windows.o -O -pipe   -L/usr/openwin/lib ../libs/libfvwm2.a -lXpm

MK> Well,

MK> When you reference an already installed libfvwm2.a file it isn't
MK> using the one you just compiled, so if there were any changes to
MK> the fvwm library you are going to be hosed.

MK> My suggestion is not to install the fvwm2 library (you shouldn't
MK> need it, unless you are doing some kind of programming), and if
MK> you do, you should be careful of this bug in the future.

MK> Chuck, I thought this was fixed in the makefile, to make it look
MK> for the locally compiled library, instead of an installed on.

>> windows.o -O -pipe   -L/usr/openwin/lib ../libs/libfvwm2.a -lXpm
                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fully specified path to the local lib.  That isn't the problem here.

The _mcount subroutine has is used with profiling, which means that at
least part of the source was compiled with the profiling support
turned on, but the -p (or -pg) option is not being given to the link
step, so it's not linking in the appropriate libs to do the profiling,
hence the missing function.

Chuck