Subject: FVWM: color allocation

From: Trent Piepho <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 11:39:57 -0800 (PST)

All this talk about netscape and flashing colormaps got me thinking.  Would it
be possible to have a different default colormap for each desktop?  That way
you could have a netscape desktop, an XV desktop, and so on.  Each color
hungry app could eat the whole colormap, without effecting other applications. 
Since the colormap switch would occur while switching desktops, it should be
less noticable.  You also wouldn't have to worry about flashes from moving the
mouse.  I suppose it wouldn't be possible to move a window to a different
desktop, unless you created a new private colormap for it or something.

Anyone think this is possible?  Is there some technical difficulty I
overlooked?

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun.   |
|Trent Piepho ([email-masked])                   -- Metallica  |
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 17:59:26 -0800 (PST)

> Anyone think this is possible?  Is there some technical difficulty I

I've thought about it a lot... since I love my 1280x1024 and really hate
switching to 1152x900 for the gimp to not flash me...

The only problem, which could be major, would be that you couldn't
move applications between desktops.  (They wouldn't have the color map
they thought they had...)

It would have to be a new option (or a change to 'sticky') to allow programs
requested colormaps to request one on all the desktops, letting fvwm
handle which colormap is in effect for each.. but even then you'd no
doubt get into a state where you want to move something that didn't
START as sticky to a different desktop and couldn't.

It would be cool, but I don't think it's really doable without making
people hate a lot of other things.

---

From: Jim Nicholson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 22:06:58 -0500

> desktop, unless you created a new private colormap for it or something.

I don't have the colormap problem anymore, since I upgraded to 24
bit color. However, I _do_ have 4 desks, with one each for xterms,
netscape & xdir, xemacs, and xv & gimp. I'd strongly support a
per-desk colormap option. 

I don't understand the module interface too well, but I wonder if
colormap management could either be built into FvwmPager or done as a
separate module.

- Jim 
[email-masked]