Subject: FVWM: Win_95 Interface

From: Duane Dushaune Carter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 20:17:01 -0600

Hello, I am a current user of fvwm and I wanted to know if you had an
.init file that would povide a Win_95 environment.  If so, I would
greatly appreciate it if you could mail it to me or direct me to its
source.

Thanks,
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Niels Larsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 23:36:39 -0500

What if one could go to the 'official' FVWM site and access a web form
with click boxes which lets the user chose FVWM configuration options?
There could be small gifs that show what a given feature means. When
finished the .fvwmrc could be mailed back. This works locally also,
and on any platform. Sorry I cant offer to work on this, I am so over
extended with commitments, just wanted to know if someone think its 
either feasible or desirable. Thanks fvwm people.

Niels L  ([email-masked])

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Jan 1997 22:55:02 -0600

>>>>> "NL" == Niels Larsen <[email-masked]> writes:

NL> What if one could go to the 'official' FVWM site and access a web form
NL> with click boxes which lets the user chose FVWM configuration options?

If someone were to write such a thing, Chuck or I would be glad to put it
up on the web page.  Somehow, though, I don't see what advantage this would
have over the dotfile generator.

 - J<

---

From: Niels Larsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 01:25:57 -0500

Jason,

I should really try the dotfile generator before 
saying the following, but anyway,

1) Generator always in sync with latest fvwm version
2) No need to install a generator program (and tcl/tk)
   Advantage if a bug or shortcoming in the generator.
3) Easy illustration of features, through small gifs
4) Would immediately show fvwm newcomers the richness
   of configuration options, as opposed to NT or Mac,
   and thereby help advertise fvwm and free software.

Niels L

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Jan 1997 23:45:39 -0600

>>>>> "NL" == Niels Larsen <[email-masked]> writes:

NL> I should really try the dotfile generator before saying the following,
NL> but anyway,

[good reasons nuked]

So, start writing.  The dotfile generator is there and if it's useful
enough then nobody will ever write your hypothetical web tool.  If instead
there is enough of a need for something else then someone will eventually
write it.  If you want it badly enough, feel free.

This is free software; it is useless to argue _why_ something should be
done because the argument is frivolous without someone who's willing to do
it.  I suppose this works for non-free software, too.

 - J<