Subject: FVWM: SunOS 4.1.4 and 2.0.44 NO JOY

From: Timothy Demarest <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 97 12:45:49 -0800

I just compiled 2.0.44, and after some complaints about stdarg.h not being
found, I got things compiled.  However, when fvwm2 starts up, I just get a
grey background.  The popup menus "pop up," but I cannot start ANY apps.
The only item that does work from the pop up is exit.

I also tried logging in and starting fvwm2 up manually.  After I type
'fvwmw &', my xterm goes blank (no text) and the only thing I can do is
choose exit from the pop up menu.  I tried with and without my current
.fvwm2rc.

Moving back to 2.0.43 works fine.  I even recompiled 2.0.43 one the exact
machine that I compiled 2.0.44 on, and 2.0.43 still works.

I will send in a debug output, but was just wondering if anyone else
running SunOS 4.1.4 (Sparc 20) and gcc 2.7.2 had similar problems.

Tim

Timothy Demarest                      ArrayComm, Inc.
[email-masked]                3141 Zanker Road
http://www.arraycomm.com              San Jose, CA 95134
[\+] Support DAN!                     Voice: 408-428-9080 Fax: 408-428-9083

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 10:36:51 -0500

>>>>> "TD" == Timothy Demarest <[email-masked]> writes:

TD> I just compiled 2.0.44, and after some complaints about stdarg.h not being
TD> found, I got things compiled.  However, when fvwm2 starts up, I just get a
TD> grey background.  The popup menus "pop up," but I cannot start ANY apps.
TD> The only item that does work from the pop up is exit.

TD> I also tried logging in and starting fvwm2 up manually.  After I type
TD> 'fvwmw &', my xterm goes blank (no text) and the only thing I can do is
TD> choose exit from the pop up menu.  I tried with and without my current
TD> .fvwm2rc.

TD> Moving back to 2.0.43 works fine.  I even recompiled 2.0.43 one the exact
TD> machine that I compiled 2.0.44 on, and 2.0.43 still works.

TD> I will send in a debug output, but was just wondering if anyone else
TD> running SunOS 4.1.4 (Sparc 20) and gcc 2.7.2 had similar problems.

I do believe that someone else had this problem also, yes, although I
don't recall who right now.

I just tried to reproduce this with my local development version of
fvwm (right now it's essentially just 2.0.44 plus a couple of the
patches posted to the mailing lists) on a SunOS 4.1.3 machine that I
have access to (compiled using acc, with "the works" defined in
Fvwm.tmpl, and displaying to xmx version 2pl6 alpha since I can't sit
at the console right now) and it worked fine for me.

So I tried 2.0.44 itself, to see if it was the patches that made a
difference.  It too worked fine.

So, try compiling fvwm w/ -g to put the debug info in there, then run
it under a debugger, if you can, and try to get a traceback of where
it's locking up please.  Perhaps you could turn on the FVWM_DEBUG_MSGS
too (configure.h at bottom).

Chuck

---

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 97 17:48:53 +0100

>>>>> Timothy Demarest writes:

T> I just compiled 2.0.44, and after some complaints about stdarg.h not being
T> found, I got things compiled.  However, when fvwm2 starts up, I just get a
T> grey background.  The popup menus "pop up," but I cannot start ANY apps.
T> The only item that does work from the pop up is exit.

T> I also tried logging in and starting fvwm2 up manually.  After I type
T> 'fvwmw &', my xterm goes blank (no text) and the only thing I can do is
T> choose exit from the pop up menu.  I tried with and without my current
T> .fvwm2rc.

T> Moving back to 2.0.43 works fine.  I even recompiled 2.0.43 one the exact
T> machine that I compiled 2.0.44 on, and 2.0.43 still works.

T> I will send in a debug output, but was just wondering if anyone else
T> running SunOS 4.1.4 (Sparc 20) and gcc 2.7.2 had similar problems.

same for 2.0.44 (-almost & release), sunos 4.1.3 and gcc 2.5.7 
(I'm not the sysadmin here :-)

I removed all "Wait" `s from my InitFunction, RestartFunction,
ExitFunction. now it works.

no time to debug this yet.

currently working on FvwmAuto & FvwmAudio bug reports.

albrecht
-- 
Talk, we never could talk, distanced by all that was between us.
							-- Marillion

---

From: Makoto MATSUSHITA <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 02:27:49 +0900

albrecht> I removed all "Wait" `s from my InitFunction, RestartFunction,
albrecht> ExitFunction. now it works.

I think 'Wait' function does not work properly. In a InitFunction or
RestartFunction, fvwm freezes, and in a usual complex-function, it
does (maybe) nothing.

-- -
Makoto `MAR_kun' MATSUSHITA

---

From: Timothy Demarest <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 97 09:43:03 -0800

>at the console right now) and it worked fine for me.

Chuck:

Albrecht Kadlec suggested (a few minutes ago) to remove any references to
Wait functions in the fvwm2rc file.  After I did this, 2.0.44 worked fine.
I think Matsushita-san may be right--'Wait' does not appear to work
correctly anymore.

To be honest, I can't remember why I originally used Wait in my rc files...

Tim

---

From: lar3ry gensch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 12:44:20 -0500

I've got two decors defined, using the following code in my .fvwm2rc
file:

#####################################################################
# Look and Feel (Styles and Decors)
#===================================================================#
# 

DestroyFunc	"RemoveAllButtons"
AddToFunc	"RemoveAllButtons"
+ "I"	Style "*"	NoButton 0, NoButton 1, NoButton 2, NoButton 3
+ "I"	Style "*"	NoButton 4, NoButton 5, NoButton 6, NoButton 7
+ "I"	Style "*"	NoButton 8, NoButton 9

#=========
# Win95
#=========

DestroyDecor	Win95
AddToDecor	Win95
+ TitleStyle	LeftJustified ActiveUp (Solid Navy -- flat) \
		ActiveDown (Solid Navy -- flat) \
		Inactive (Solid grey51 -- flat)
+ ButtonStyle 1	MiniIcon -- UseTitleStyle flat
+ ButtonStyle 2	Pixmap win95-close-full.xpm -- UseTitleStyle flat
+ ButtonStyle 4	Pixmap win95-maximize-full.xpm -- UseTitleStyle flat
+ ButtonStyle 6	Pixmap win95-minimize-full.xpm -- UseTitleStyle flat
+ BorderStyle	Active -- HiddenHandles NoInset
+ BorderStyle	Inactive -- HiddenHandles NoInset
+ WindowFont	-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-120-*
+ HilightColor	white grey60

DestroyFunc	DecorWin95
AddToFunc	DecorWin95
+ "I"	RemoveAllButtons
+ "I"	Style "*"	UseDecor Win95, ForeColor Black
+ "I"	Style "*"	Button 1, Button 2, Button 4, Button 6
+ "I"	MenuStyle	Black grey75 grey40 \
			-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*-120-* mwm
+ "I"	Exec		xsetroot -solid cyan4
+ "I"	Recapture

#=========
# mwm
#=========

DestroyDecor	Mwm
AddToDecor	Mwm
+ TitleStyle	Centered
+ TitleStyle	ActiveUp (Solid cyan4 -- Raised) \
		ActiveDown (Solid cyan4 -- flat) \
		Inactive (Solid grey51 -- Raised)
+ ButtonStyle	Reset
+ ButtonStyle	All -- UseTitleStyle
+ ButtonStyle 2	5  25x25@1 25x75@1 75x75@0 75x25@0 25x25@1
+ ButtonStyle 4	5  45x45@1 55x45@1 55x55@0 45x55@0 45x45@1
+ WindowFont -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-120-*
+ HilightColor white cyan4

DestroyFunc	DecorMwm
AddToFunc	DecorMwm
+ "I"	RemoveAllButtons
+ "I"	Style "*"	UseDecor Mwm, ForeColor Black
+ "I"	Style "*"	Button 1, Button 2, Button 4
+ "I"	MenuStyle	Black grey75 grey40 \
			-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*-120-* mwm
+ "I"	Exec		xsetroot -solid grey
+ "I"	Recapture

#####################################################################

If I continually switch between the decors using the DecorWin95 and
DecorMwm function, little by little, FvwmButtons and Fvwm Pager will
start to disappear... it looks like they shrink by a pixel or two each
time I recapture.  These two modules are run without titles or handles,
and that may have something to do with the problem.

This appears to be a bug; I haven't examined the recapture code in fvwm
to see what the cause is, but I thought I'd report this so that it will
be fixed before we go into 2.1.0.

By the way, fvwm-2.0.44 was worth waiting for... Way to go, Chuck, and
everybody else on fvwm-workers!

-- 
(void) lar3ry();                                      [email-masked]

     "Sometimes it happens.  People just explode.  Natural causes."

---

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 06:59:48 -0500 (EST)

> be fixed before we go into 2.1.0.

This is a bug which was much more prominant in fvwm 2.0.43 since changing
your WindowFont would continually shrink your untitled windows.  I thought
I fixed it, but I may have missed it.  I'm looking into it now.

Andrew

---

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 07:13:08 -0500 (EST)

> I fixed it, but I may have missed it.  I'm looking into it now.

To clarify, I fixed the major part of the problem.  There may be something
small I missed somewhere.

The problem was that in font changing, fvwm used to recalculate the size
of the frame, but for untitled windows as well, which it shouldn't.

Andrew