Subject: FVWM: 2.0.43 FvwmAuto Bug

From: Craig Earls <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 13:36:14 -0500

I just completed upgrading to 2.0.44 from 2.0.43. FvwmAuto only works
once.

here is the relevant section of .fvwm2rc:

DeskTopSize 2x2
MenuStyle Grey80 #505050 Grey50 -adobe-times-bold-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
fvwm
ClickTime 750
OpaqueMoveSize 100
FvwmAuto 750 
ColormapFocus FollowsMouse

When first started or restarted, the module seems to work. I restarted
with several different argument values and got a reasonable response.
Howver once the module pops up a window the timout becomes very short,
or the module unloads (how do I tell?) 

I diffed the code from FvwmAuto 2.0.44 with the version from 2.0.43, but
the code is way over my head. I tried to recompile the the new FvwmAuto
with the old libfvwm2.a and the new FvwmAuto with the old library, but
neither would compile.

The .fvwm2rc worked fine under 2.0.43 for several months.

Craig Earls

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 97 13:17:04 +0100

>>>>> Craig Earls writes:

C> I just completed upgrading to 2.0.44 from 2.0.43. FvwmAuto only works
C> once.

C> here is the relevant section of .fvwm2rc:

C> DeskTopSize 2x2
C> MenuStyle Grey80 #505050 Grey50 -adobe-times-bold-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
C> fvwm
C> ClickTime 750
C> OpaqueMoveSize 100
C> FvwmAuto 750 
C> ColormapFocus FollowsMouse

should be OK.

C> When first started or restarted, the module seems to work. I restarted
C> with several different argument values and got a reasonable response.
C> Howver once the module pops up a window the timout becomes very short,
C> or the module unloads (how do I tell?) 

ps x | grep FvwmAuto
tells you if FvwmAuto still lives.

I guess it still lives, but please tell me, if it does.

My FvwmAuto still works fine (I use FocusFollowsMouse):

AddToFunc RestartFunction "I"	Module	FvwmButtons
+			"I"	Module	FvwmAuto 500
+			"I"	Next [emacs] focus

[email-masked] already reported this bug, I looked through the
code, found a possible hole in the logic, if you used ClickToFocus 
(do you ?) and published a new version at

 	<URL:http://www.auto.tuwien.ac.at/~albrecht/FvwmAuto.c.gz>
(this version also fixes a possible bug for timeouts >1000 ms :-) )

He said it still didn't work and didn't reply since, so I'm somewhat
hanging in the air.

please try the new code & if it doesn't work, add

	#define DEBUG

in the first line and mail me the output.

you could also change the #if 1 in line 152 to a #if 0
this replaces the smaller condition by explicit coding:
I suspected a compiler bug when evaluating this expression, but Cristian
Tibirna didn't reply to my message, yet.
If this fixes the bug, please tell me what compiler you use.

C> I diffed the code from FvwmAuto 2.0.44 with the version from 2.0.43, but
C> the code is way over my head. I tried to recompile the the new FvwmAuto
C> with the old libfvwm2.a and the new FvwmAuto with the old library, but
C> neither would compile.

it's the change in the libs.
	StrEquals (2.0.44)  versus some !mystrcasecmp (2.0.43)

albrecht
-- 
A engineer, a doctor and a politician were sitting in a dark room
arguing over whose practice was the oldest. The doctor felt he had won
because the first rib was taken out of Adam and given to Eve. This was
a surgical procedure. The Engineer said that Earth was made out of
chaos, therefore making his work the oldest. But then, the politician
asked, "Who do you suppose created the chaos?"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Cristian Tibirna <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 11:13:14 -0500

Hi, Albrecht

I'm sorry for forgetting to reply as you repeated in your response to
Craig.

Actually I came back very late saturday night (sunday morning at 4:00!?
:-) so I temporised my report and after that I forgot, for the good
reason that I took in reuse the version of FvwmAuto from 2.0.43, as
compiled inthere. 

I spoke with Criag Sunday night, when I thought you're offline. And I
told to him what I intended to say to you too: the syntax rearranging
hasn't any effect. I almost knew it before to  try it. I use Linux
2.0.27 with gcc & g++ 2.7.2.1, libg++ 2.7.1.4 and libc 5.3.12. So I
was confident. But, as I told to Craig, I suspect the problem isn't
really in FvwmAuto. Why I think that? Because FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME
it functions. I raises the first window it enters AFTER the imposed
delay.

After that, I think the variable which holds the value which is passed
to &delay in the command-line parsing part of FvwmAuto is NULL-ed. I
can't imagine how and why. But I imagine this is in fvwm.

Unfortunately I haven't enough time to pass fvwm under tests (right
now, when I write this, I'm meantime fighting with a monster FEM
library reconfiguration).

Of course the easiest workaround is to take the FvwmAuto from the
previous version and to use it with 2.0.44. This works seamlessly.

I have to sign off now.

Bye and have a lot of luck. Bonne santé

					Friendly yours, Cristian

---

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 97 18:54:00 +0100

Hi,

guess, I've found the FvwmAuto bug. 

whoever had trouble with FvwmAuto just doing the first raise with the
timeout, please try the new version and mail me the output.

The others can simply eliminate line #1: #define DEBUG
and use it.

sorry, a bug which only shows on certain OS's - not on mine.

albrecht
-- 
Brezhnev took Afghanistan,	|  And Maggie over lunch one day,
Begin took Beirut,		|  Took a cruiser with all hands,
Galtieri took the Union Jack	|  Apparently to make him give it back
			-- Pink Floyd, "Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].