Subject: FVWM: 2.0.44, XEmacs, focus (input?)

From: Cristian Tibirna <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 00:57:05 -0500

Hi all, bussy people

I just observed for the tenth or twelfth time a strange (and annoying)
comportment of XEmacs occuring after the 2.0.44 install. I hadn't the
time to pay attention to it though not more the time to try to trace
it down (or even isolate it). My message for now is to try to see if
somebody else pinned-down some similar bug:

If I have an (or multiple) XEmacs window(s) opened and I do a Restart
of fvwm2, I get stuck with those windows because they don't get
anymore input. I mean they can get focus, but mouse click/commands and
keyboard input seems not active. STRANGE. The only work around (really
VERY annoying) is to close all XEmacs windows and to start a new
session.

With 2.0.43 this dosen't exist. There was a similar (but in some sort
smaller) problem with GNUS, which did not display sometimes if it was
on another desktop than the visible one during GNUS start. I think
this problem was largely discussed in fvwm and XEmacs groups but I
missed the solution.

Howevewr, I would like to know if anybody else noticed this
comportment.

Thanks a lot

				Friendly yours, Cristian
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Pete Forman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 09:44:44 GMT

>>>>> "Cristian" == Cristian Tibirna <[email-masked]> writes:

    Cristian> If I have an (or multiple) XEmacs window(s) opened and I
    Cristian> do a Restart of fvwm2, I get stuck with those windows
    Cristian> because they don't get anymore input. I mean they can
    Cristian> get focus, but mouse click/commands and keyboard input
    Cristian> seems not active. STRANGE. The only work around (really
    Cristian> VERY annoying) is to close all XEmacs windows and to
    Cristian> start a new session.

    Cristian> With 2.0.43 this dosen't exist. There was a similar (but
    Cristian> in some sort smaller) problem with GNUS, which did not
    Cristian> display sometimes if it was on another desktop than the
    Cristian> visible one during GNUS start. I think this problem was
    Cristian> largely discussed in fvwm and XEmacs groups but I missed
    Cristian> the solution.

I'm still using 2.0.43 and occasionally see your symptoms.  My
workaround is to iconify and deiconify the XEmacs windows.  At this
stage it is apparent that that XEmacs had acted on the input but that
no output had happened (or maybe the input was queued somewhere).

Should anyone be interested I see two other problems with XEmacs.  In
Ediff the controlling window is often too big.  Sometimes hitting ?
twice (making the box "larger", then "normal" again) will fix it.  It
looks like there is some sort of race condition.

The second was reported by me on 29 Oct 1996.  XEmacs is initially
slow and may misinterpret a single mouse click as multiple.  Switching
to and from twm works around the problem.
--
Pete Forman
Western Geophysical
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jim Nicholson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 09:43:55 -0500

> no output had happened (or maybe the input was queued somewhere).

I use xemacs. I had this problem under 2.0.43. It seems to be better
since 2.0.44. I can't say that it's fixed, as I've only used .44 for
two days. I _can_ say that it _appears_ to be much worse (ie., happen
more often) when I have tkGoodStuff running (as a module). I've
stopped using tkGoodStuff (for other reasons), and it has not happened
as often (even under .43). One clue to this is that I was using a
win95-style taskbar config with tkGoodStuff, and also had a FvwmPager
running. I don't know if tkGoodStuff launches its own FvwmPager, but
might there be a problem with two pagers running?

 > looks like there is some sort of race condition.

Noticed this one also.

 > to and from twm works around the problem.

Havn't seen this, but I don't have much to compare it with.  I can
only compare my linux/fvwm system to an HP /712, but the two systems
are substantially different (ie., the HP does only 8 bpp, the linux
system does 16, etc.)

- Jim