Subject: FVWM: colormap bugs

From: Trent Piepho <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 17:16:10 -0800 (PST)

I'm trying to write a program what has a child window with a colormap
different from the rest of the window.  If you use xmag to grab a window
with a private colormap, you get the same thing.

I did everything I thought I should do, found a bug in the xforms libarary,
and worked around it, but still no go.  Anyway, the problem is fvwm.

The way you go about having children with different colormaps from the
top-level window is to set WM_COLORMAP_WINDOWS property to the list of child
windows.

What fvwm does when a window with this property gets focus is to install in
reverse order all the colormaps for windows listed in that porperty.

Some systems, notably SGI's, allow for multiple colormaps to be installed at
once.  Many systems do not.  If the number of colormaps the system can
display at the same time is greater than or equal to the number of colormaps
the window and its children use, this works ok.  If the max colormaps is
less, like say its 1 and the window wants 2, this doesn't work.

For systems with fewer colormaps it would be nice if the window manager would
install colormaps when the mouse entered such a window.  xmag does this
with a kludge of modifying the colormap_windows property when the
mouse enters and leaves the window, so that the first window listed is the
one the mouse is in.  fvwm will install this colormap last, so it's the
one that stays.

I think I can fix fvwm to provide this behavior, as well as remove some
bugs and sillyness from colormap.c.  What I need to know is if there is some
way to get fvwm notified when the mouse enters a window that's a child of
a top-level window, but not itsself a top-level window.  If it helps I know
the window ID.

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun.   |
|Trent Piepho ([email-masked])                   -- Metallica  |
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].