Subject: FVWM: Bug in fvwm 2.0.44 ?

From: Christian Motschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 16:37:42 +0100

Hello,

It seems, that there is a bug in the new fvwm2 version 2.0.44.
The problem is, that fvwm hangs if I use Wait in the InitFunction.
When I comment it out my InitFunction works. I have used version 2.0.43
too and my .fvwm2rc file works for the former version. I dont know if
the error depends on my X-Server or OS. I use SunOS4 and X11 R6.
This is my InitFunction:

AddToFunc "InitFunction" "I" Module FvwmPager 0 0
+ "I" Exec rxvt   -geometry 80x9+140+0 +vb -fn fixed -C -ls -title
"Console@`hostname`" -sl 100 -bg rgb:c3/c3/c3 -fg black -name XConsole
+ "I" Exec rclock -geometry 119x114+0+0  -update 1 -fg black -bg
rgb:c3/c3/c3
+ "I" Exec rxvt   -geometry 80x49+0-0    -vb -fn 9x15 -T "Christian auf
`hostname`" -sl 1024
#+ "I" Wait rxvt
+ "I" GotoPage 1 0
+ "I" Exec emacs
#+ "I" Wait emacs
+ "I" GotoPage 0 0
+ "I" Exec LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/lib/$OSTYPE:/opt/X11R6/lib xmeter
-geometry 110x60-370+0 -obg rgb:c3/c3/c3 -lobg rgb:c3/c3/c3 -rows 1
-update 5 `hostname`
+ "I" Exec LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/lib/$OSTYPE:/opt/X11R6/lib xman  
-geometry 110x60-245+0
+ "I" Refresh

Fvwm stops on the first Wait and waits forever. But I can use the menu
on the root and when I choose Restart, all programs before the first
wait come up.

HTH Christian

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft: "Where do you want to go today ?"
Apple:     "Good question Microsoft. But what about tomorrow ?"

Christian Motschke [email-masked] [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Makoto MATSUSHITA <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 01:07:21 +0900

motschke> It seems, that there is a bug in the new fvwm2 version 2.0.44.
motschke> The problem is, that fvwm hangs if I use Wait in the InitFunction.

fvwm 2.0.44 hangs if 'Wait' is used in a InitFunction/RestartFunction.
However, this bug(?) is already fixed (maybe). Try this patch.

--- fvwm/fvwm.c.dist	Tue Jan 14 23:06:33 1997
+++ fvwm/fvwm.c	Mon Jan 20 15:57:32 1997
@@ -352,8 +352,6 @@
 
   XSetErrorHandler((XErrorHandler)FvwmErrorHandler);
 
-  MyXGrabServer(dpy);
-
   BlackoutScreen(); /* if they want to hide the capture/startup */
 
   CreateCursors();
@@ -454,6 +452,8 @@
 #ifndef NON_VIRTUAL
   initPanFrames();
 #endif
+
+  MyXGrabServer(dpy);
 
 #ifndef NON_VIRTUAL
   checkPanFrames();

-- -
Makoto `MAR_kun' MATSUSHITA

---

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 97 19:32:14 +0100

>>>>> Makoto MATSUSHITA writes:

M> fvwm 2.0.44 hangs if 'Wait' is used in a InitFunction/RestartFunction.
M> However, this bug(?) is already fixed (maybe). Try this patch.

works for me (wait hanged for me)

albrecht
-- 
I used to think that my brain was the most wonderful organ in my body.
Then I realised who had been telling me this...		-- Stephen Wray
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Eddy J. Gurney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 15:15:03 -0500

> works for me (wait hanged for me)

It also appears to have worked for me! Thanks Makoto!

Eddy (running fvwm-2.0.44+andrew5_fixes+color_buttons_patch+placement_fix+
              newFvwmAudio+newFvwmAuto+FvwmButtons_fix+wait_fix :-)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].