Subject: FVWM: A Linux suggestion...

From: Peter S Galbraith <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 08:03:09 -0500

Writting window manager startup files is tedious work, and hard
to do for new users.

Imagine a script (written for a given Linux distribution) that inserts an
``Application'' menu entry for each installed application on a Linux 
system.

For Slackware, the script would compare /var/adm/packages/ contents 
against a list of programs known to behave well when called from a menu
(perhaps even supplying icons for fvwm-95).

Just a thought...
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist             <[email-masked]>
Maurice-Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada
P.O. Box 1000, Mont-Joli Qc, G5H 3Z4 Canada  418-775-0852 - FAX 418-775-0546
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 14:22:03 -0500 (EST)

> (perhaps even supplying icons for fvwm-95).

Debian linux has such a thing, it's in a package called menu. Every
package that installes an interactive program adds a menu entry for it in
a database, and calls a program that regenerates rc files for different
window managers (And one text - base menu program that I wrote.) The
result is a hierarchical menu of installed programs, quite handy to use.

For more info, mail joost witteveen <[email-masked]>.

-- 
#!/usr/bin/perl -i\$q='$q',\$p='$p';eval\$q.\$\^I\n"#  #   [email-masked]
$q='print"$p$^I\n',$p='#!/usr/bin/perl -i';eval$q.$^I  #          Joey Hess
               "true - do nothing, successfully" - - true (1)