Subject: FVWM: Small bug that should probably be fixed someday

From: "Eddy J. Gurney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 10:06:52 -0500

I just ran into a small bug:

It is not possible to use the "new" method of specifying colors
(rgb:rr/gg/bb instead of #rrggbb) with the "Color foreground/background"
notation, probably because of the conflict with the slashes. Not sure
what the solution is (I've switched back to using ForeColor & BackColor
for now) but I just thought I'd mention it.

Unfortunately I still haven't received any replies on these pending
problems. I'd love to see these patched before I finally release 2.0.44
to "production":

-- The 'Wait' problem. This is a bummer because I use "Wait FvwmButtons"
   to make sure some "early" windows have been placed before I call
   "Exec xterm", and without the Wait, some windows end up on top of each
   other.

-- The auto-raise bug that occurs when switching monitors (the last window
   you touched on the display you are moving off is raised, even though it
   doesn't have focus and never did).

-- A missing ~/.fvwm2rc file causes fvwm-2.0.44 to complain that both the
   .fvwmrc and system.fvwm2rc file are missing...

-- Still can't figure out how to size a window when the 3x3 "placement
   grid" is active...

-- The auto-raising of windows that have menus popped-up causes them to be
   obscured. This sounds like it is difficult to fix, since there is no way
   to know that a "window" is really a menu.

I am going to begin looking at these things myself if I get a little bit of
free time.

Oh, and while I'm writing:

I'd love to see a patch to disable "raise" on focus, and definitely think
this should be the default behavior (since it can be so easily changed with
a custom "MyRaise" function as pointed out by Albrecht).

Eddy
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Barry A. Warsaw" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 11:26:28 -0500

>>>>> "EJG" == Eddy J Gurney <[email-masked]> writes:

    EJG> -- The auto-raise bug that occurs when switching monitors
    EJG> (the last window you touched on the display you are moving
    EJG> off is raised, even though it doesn't have focus and never
    EJG> did).

I wonder if my patch for multiple displays made it into 2.0.44?  Sorry
I haven't had time to download and take a look, but I know I posted a
fix against 2.0.43 that improved focus handling for multiple displays
(at least for me -- I don't use SloppyFocus).   I could dig up the
patch if you can't find it on the archive or via Web search.

-Barry