Subject: FVWM: fvwm bug?

From: "Carl R. Krekorian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 1997 07:21:58 -0500

Fvwm god,

  I have been running fvwm for several years now and I have notice a small
bug while running on HP-UX (9.03) machines.  If you are running xcalc or
some x application and you do NOT kill the process before you log out, the
process runs away and uses all the cpu.  We also use fvwm on IRIX5.3 and
IRIX6.2 workstations and we have never seen this problem.

  I have compiled the latest version of fvwm-2.0.43 and noticed the same
problem.  I even upgraded the OS from 9.03 to 10.2.  I was really hoping
that fvwm2- would solve this problem.  Is there anything i can do????
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-carl

Carl R. Krekorian jr.
Shearwater Inc.
NUWC phone: (800) 669 - NUWC (X138416)
[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Tiefenback <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 10:39:50 -0500 (EST)

Concerning runaway processes:

A couple of years ago, the "tin" that came along with the linux
distribution I was using would run away if its window were killed.  I have
had instances where "less" would do the same thing.  FvwmButtons (or maybe
the FvwmPager; I forget which) for a time was doing this same runaway
thing.  I also use HP-UX machines (with fvwm 1.23), but I can't remember
for certain whether any of these runaways have occurred on HP machines. 
Based on what I have heard and seen, it seems to be a process problem,
rather than a window manager thing, although I suspect it is possible that
some window managers do an ad hoc enforcement of "die, Barney, die".  A
terminal-connected process should note when it is no longer connected, and
simply terminate rather than sucking up all of the CPU it can get in an
attempt to read something from /dev/null or whatever replaces the missing
terminal. 

Michael Tiefenback