Subject: FVWM: Windows crashes with Netscape 3.0

From: Prakash Mahesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 1997 16:23:09 -0500

I am using fvwm1.0 (and tried 2.0 also) on IRIX5.3 and 6.3. The problem
I have is whenever I resize or move or do something with Netscape, my
windows manager crashes (logs me out).
And this pattern is not reproducable, ie. it happens most of the times
but not always.
Has anybody encountered this? Is there anything I can do to stop this
annoying thing (imagine logging in 10 times a day!).
Thanks in advance for any help.

-- 
  Prakash Mahesh                                     
  [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Mike A. Harris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 07:38:49 -0500

> Thanks in advance for any help.

Netscape seems to crash on EVERY platform.  I'm running Linux and it NS
crashes frequently.  If they keep this up, pretty soon they'll be able
to put out a crappy operating system and compete with Microsloth.

-- 
Mike A. Harris                          
http://www3.sympatico.ca/mharris
My dynamic address:     
http://www3.sympatico.ca/mharris/ip-address.html
mailto:[email-masked]       
mailto:[email-masked]
4DOS can be downloaded from ftp://ftp.std.com/vendors/jpsoft

---

From: [email-masked] (Stig)
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 97 00:47 PST

> to put out a crappy operating system and compete with Microsloth.

I'm a Linux user and maybe it's just voodoo or amazing luck, but I find
Netscrape to be incredibly reliable...

I did briefly encounter a crashing spree, though, when I had xpm-3.4h
(and/or the version of the xpm library installed by the Red Hat Motif CD)
installed.  This version of xpm would cause motif to wipe out whenever an
error dialog was being displayed.

So, if you're having netscape crashes, try upgrading to xpm-3.4i and the
problem might go away.

-- stig@jato -- ~/Inbox/spool > ldd /u/netscape/netscape 
        libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6.0
        libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6.0
        libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6.0
        libXmu.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6.0
        libXpm.so.4 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4.9
        libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6.1
        libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.1
        libdl.so.1 => /lib/libdl.so.1.7.14
        libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5.2.18

    Stig