Subject: FVWM: [2.0.44/2.0.45] Bugs ??

From: [email-masked] (Nadim Saeed)
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 17:44:44 +73600 (PST)

I'm a BIG fan of FVWM 
 (the Father-of-all Virtual Window Managers - isn't that what the F meant :-)

Here are a few things that I've noticed (bugs ?) using 2.0.45

1. FlipFocus seems to disappear when you Restart your fvwm session (via
   'Restart fvwm2' in the .fvwm2rc file) - this happened on both 2.0.45 &
   2.0.44.  By disappearing I mean I get the following error when I try to
   invoke the function after a restart

        [FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module /download/fvwm-2.0.45/modules/ALLmodules FlipFocus

   I've also noticed that FlipFocus goes awry sometimes and when
   asked to FlipFocus it flips between my xterm and FvwmButtons (even 
   though I wasn't focused on FvwmButtons - it ignores the other window 
   that I _was_ focused in).

        Key F1	A       C       Prev [!iconic] FlipFocus

   I've informed Dan Niles (FlipFocus' author) about the Restart problem.

2. I have seen the same problem that Lance Brown ([email-masked])
   mentioned in his email about FvwmAuto (not being able to focus); I've been
   at times unable to focus on xterms when I was previously focused in some 
   application window such as Netscape/emacs.  I would have to leave the 
   xterm and enter it a few times before it finally focuses.  I know this is 
   not much of a description, but I can't really place it myself - it seems
   rather random.

   I've also seen a problem with rxvt losing/recapturing focus.  If you 
   overlap your rxvt with any other window - say by 10% and briefly go to 
   the rxvt and return back, you'll notice that the focus keeps shifting 
   from the rxvt to the other window until you move your mouse deeper into
   one window or the other (if you don't move the mouse this shifting stays
   indefinitely).  Since I haven't been able to replicate this problem on 
   two normal xterms (ie. not involving rxvt), I'm assuming this is more a 
   problem with rxvt rather than FvwmAuto

	+       "I" Module      FvwmAuto 200

3. I liked (still do) an old fvwm-1.24 function - 'TogglePage' and would love
   to see it come back.  If it does not, no harm done.  I've been able to
   replicate its behavior by including the following segment in my .fvwm2rc
   file

	AddToMenu MyTogglePage
	+       "ON"                    EdgeScroll 100 100
	+       "OFF"                   EdgeScroll 0 0

   The 'EdgeScroll 0 0' works fine UNLESS you are moving a window in which
   case the scrolling is enabled.  I am not sure if this enabling of scrolling
   upon moving windows is intentional or whether this is a bug (I tend to
   believe its the later).

Lastly, a request; I read the archived version of the emails
(www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/) and it would be much nicer to remove the 
FVWM background/wallpaper (with yellowish tint) from the archived directory 
since it makes it rather difficult to see anything within Netscape.

Many Thanks,

 - Nadim

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 21:58:36 -0500 (EST)

>    not much of a description, but I can't really place it myself - it seems

Hm, I wonder if this is the problem you're talking about:

I click on a menu in netscape (single click, not drag, so the menu stays
up.) Netscape grabs the mouse pointer. I move the mouse over an xterm, of
course, the xterm isn't autofocused, since netscape has grabbed the
pointer. I click on the xterm. This pops down the menu in netscape, and
netscape gives up control of the mouse pointer. But the xterm doesn't get
focused. I have to exit and re-enter the xterm before it recieves the
focus.

It's sort of interesting that if I hit escape instead of clicking on the
xterm to get rid of netscape's menu, the xterm immediatly recieves the
focus.

-- 
#!/usr/bin/perl -pi_______Syntax:_sig.pl_<location-of-netscape-program>_______
BEGIN{if(!$ARGV[0]){$^I=~y/_/ /;print"$^I\n";exit}$^I='.bak'}#       Joey Hess
s/\bnoframes\b/noFrames/g;s/\bframeset\b/frameSet/g#          [email-masked]
#Remove frames from Netscape forever! <http://kite.ml.org/~joey/framefree.cgi>