Subject: FVWM: New syntax

From: [email-masked] (David Kennedy)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 21:58:48 GMT

Andrew said:
>      David> problems with the new UseDecor commands.  Is anyone else
>      David> getting inconistent results?  Eg I set a decor for my
>      David> 'xpostit' notes, then added 'NoButton 1' etc to the style,
>      David> only to always get buttons. Argh! 
>  
>  I don't see how this affects UseDecor (I may be seeing wrong).  I have
>  XTerms with smaller titlebars and just did Style "XTerm" NoButton 1
>  then Recapture in FvwmConsole and it seemed to take effect.

Fair enough. Its probably not the UseDecor per se.
Anyone care to show me the error of my ways in this simple snippet:
(mainly for me to learn how to use all 'this new fangled' stuff)

AddToDecor notes
+ BorderStyle Simple -- HiddenHandles NoInset
+ TitleStyle -- flat
+ HilightColor white black
+ WindowFont -b&h-lucida-bold-r-normal-*-*-180-*-*-p-*-iso8859-*

Style "notes"     UseDecor notes, HandleWidth 1, Sticky, Color black/white
Style "notes"     Icon Notes.xpm, NoButton 1, NoButton 3, NoButton 5, NoButton 7

Style "XPostit"   UseStyle notes

This is pretty much per the man page example (under AddDecor).
Now, the problem is that this (and many variations of it) leaves me with a 
custom decor window, but with all the buttons on it. Er..why?
And no icon either come to think of it.
-- 
David Kennedy, The Queen's University of Belfast.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 15:21:59 -0500 (EST)

Yes, I see the behaviour with the buttons.  Actually I remember noticing
this last year sometime as well -- it seems to be a problem with fvwm2.  I
think you found this since it was previously a less used feature, but I
guess with the decors it is more useful.

btw, it seems to work if you put the NoButton options on the Style for
XPostIt instead

--
Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>        http://www.rpi.edu/~veliaa
One day, all forms of communication will be superseded by a FAQ.
Finger for PGP Public Key
Key fingerprint =  51 56 5D 3E 51 43 8B 74  7C B2 E4 B6 84 8E 8B 08

---

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 16:01:20 -0500 (EST)

I just played with this a bit, and discovered after some mulling and then
experimenting, that if you only have _one_ Style "notes" with all of the
options on one line (with \ to continue lines) it works.

...

---

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 16:30:33 -0500 (EST)

> btw, it seems to work if you put the NoButton options on the Style for

I just figured out why the UseStyle doesn't work -- it is pretty clear
actually.  UseStyle finds the first occurance in the name list and then
uses only those values.  It ignores further, identical entries in the list
(new entries are created even for identical names), which is precisely why
it only uses the values from the first Style command. 

This means UseStyle is a bit broken, but the workaround as described
before is to place the entire Style definition on a single line, or to use
the \ to continue on next lines.