Subject: FVWM: xterm VT Fonts resize action

From: Pete Gaden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 10:10:48 GMT

Hi,

Anyone out there help me / comment on the following?

I am trying to introduce a small user group to the delights of fvwm
and several users have come back with a resizing problem.   We are using
Sun Sparc and Ultra-Sparcs with Solaris 2.5.1 and attempting to use
fvwm-2.0.43 instead of dtwm as manager.   Cntl+Mouse3 in a /usr/openwin/bin
/xterm window gives a menu where you can reset the font for the current
xterm:

   VT Fonts
Default
Unreadable
Tiny
Small
:
:

In all bar the "Unreadable" case, the two window managers behave the same;
the whole window is resized in proportion to the font and returns to 
normal when the Default is subsequently selected.

The "Unreadable" ( which is VERY SMALL ) behaves the same on dtwm but
fvwm, although returning to the default size and Font, is blank over the
"resized" width.

____________________     ______      ____________________
|abcdef ghijk lmn  |     |:::: |     |abc                |  
|abcdef ghijk lmn  |     |:::: |     |abc                |
|abcdef ghijk lmn  |     |:::: |     |abc                |
|abcdef ghijk lmn  |  => -------  => |abc                |
|abcdef ghijk lmn  |                 |abc                |
|abcdef ghijk lmn  |                 |abc                |
|abcdef ghijk lmn  |                 |abc                |
|                  |                 |                   |
--------------------                 ---------------------

The users have numerous actively scrolling xterms at one time and tend
to use this "shrinking" procedure to allow them to get an overview of
these windows ( say 10 ) on the right hand side of the screen, while
working on other things.  When a task completes they can then "regain"
the window for review.

As I said, all the other fonts seem to behave ok except this very small
one.  Is this fvwm?  Is there a resource file option ( fontlist etc )
problem?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

PG
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 22:27:56 -0500 (EST)

> fvwm, although returning to the default size and Font, is blank over the

I can verify that this is a bug caused by running fvwm as the window
manager. I just ran X without a window manager, and my xterm did not
exhibit this bug. Xterms managed by fvwm do show this bug. 

I can't imagine why fvwm would be causing this behavior, though..

I'm running fvwm 2.0.43 on a linux system.

-- 
#!/usr/bin/perl -i\$q='$q',\$p='$p';eval\$q.\$\^I\n"#  #   [email-masked]
$q='print"$p$^I\n',$p='#!/usr/bin/perl -i';eval$q.$^I  #          Joey Hess
               "true - do nothing, successfully" - - true (1)

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 09:08:17 -0500

>>>>> "Joey" == Joey Hess <[email-masked]> writes:

>> fvwm, although returning to the default size and Font, is blank over the

Joey> I can verify that this is a bug caused by running fvwm as the window
Joey> manager. I just ran X without a window manager, and my xterm did not
Joey> exhibit this bug. Xterms managed by fvwm do show this bug.

Joey> I can't imagine why fvwm would be causing this behavior, though..

Joey> I'm running fvwm 2.0.43 on a linux system.

Yeah, this is a problem that I've known about for a while and it
really bugs me, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet.  Note
that it's new to 2.x -> 1.24r doesn't exhibit this behavior, but in
comparing what is happening in the event handlers between the two
versions I don't see any differences that would account for this.

I'm still looking into it though, and would really like to get it
figured out before 2.1.0.  If anyone has any insights into it, please
let me know.

Chuck