Subject: FVWM: Window List/FvmwList turned off or on by default!

From: Madhumita Mallik <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 14:57:52 -0500

Hi,
Is there a way to turn off window list which appears with a mouse button click?
In my current setup it appears when mouse button 3 is pressed. I tried to look
for a resource in the default .fvwmrc file that I downloaded but couldn't find it.
I am running fvwm on DEC alpha.

Also I would be interested to know how many of you prefer the FvwmWinList or
the window list that appears as pop-up menu to the
FvwmPager? We are tring to create a default .fvwmrc file for our users at this
site and are wondering whether it should be turned off or on. I would appreciate
any feedback on this.

Thanks,
Mita.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jamie Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 16:31:37 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

  I'm running fvwm2 on RH 4.0 and I can't get my changes 
to the .fv.... file to take.  I'm modifying the .fvwm2rc
and the .fvwm2rc.init files?  What am I doing wrong?

thanks,

jamie

p.s. Is fvwm2 the same as fvwm95.  And are these the
     same as fvwm95-2?

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 00:43:54 -0500 (EST)

>>>>  Madhumita Mallik  <[email-masked]> writes:

    MM>  Is there a way to turn off window list which appears with a mouse
    MM>  button click?

    Hi, Mita --

    You don't say whether you're using Version 1 or 2 (I highly recommend the
latter, don't be put off by the "beta" tag); but in either case, the mouse
bindings section is fairly close to the end of the default .fvwmrc / .fvwm2rc
file. Look for a line something like
           Mouse 3		R    	A      	WindowList
and coment it out if you like. Or change it to do something else. I hate to
suggest the obvious, but you really ought to check the fvwm man page for a
description of the mouse and keyboard bindings, because there's a good
deal of info there. Then if you're stuck, query the mailing list again.

    MM>  I am running fvwm on DEC alpha.

    [ Sigh. ]

    MM>  We...are wondering whether [the window list] should be turned off 
    MM>  or on.

    Personally, I can't imagine why anyone would want to deprive himself
(or his users) of this useful tool, which doesn't take up any screen real
estate or consume any extra resources when not in use. But it needn't be 
bound to Mouse-3 clicked on the root window, if you don't care for that 
(I do like it that way). You could bury it in a menu or bind it to something
else. 

    As for FvwmWinList, I rarely use it (to be honest, I bring it up 
occasionally for a change of desktop scenery), but a great many find it
very useful.

    Hope this helps.

    Cheers & Season's Greetings,
    Bob