Subject: FVWM: I can't get XPM icons to work

From: Laurent Duperval <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 11:20:08 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

I'm using fvwm 2.0.43, compiled on an HPUX 9.05 station using the
libraries for X11R6.1. My Xpm lib is 3.4g. For some reason, no matter
what i do, I can't get iconized windows to use pixmaps instead of
bitmaps. I tried changing the paths, adding a slash at the end of the
name, etc. It works with bitmaps but I can't get pixmaps to work and I
don't know why. I'm guessing it could be a colormap problem but I'm not
sure how to verify this. Xv brings up the pixmaps with no problem. I'm
really at my wits' ends.

If it matters any, I generate my rc file using the latest version of
the Dotfile Generator. I'm cc'ing this to that list in case the problem
lies there.

Any help on how I can go about debugging this would be gratly
appreciated.

TIA.

P.S. Please reply directly to me. I know it's bad netiquette to do
this, but I'm not subscribed to the fvwm list because the volume is
much too large. I looked in the archives but didn't find anything
(although after a while, things became pretty blurry...).

-- 
Laurent Duperval, Systems Analyst       Grafnetix Systems Inc.
Tel: (514) 861-3389                     777, de la Commune Ouest
Fax: (514) 866-6206                     Suite 101, Montreal, Qc
[email-masked]                   Canada, H3C 1Y1
URL:            http://www.Grafnetix.COM/
Personal URL:   http://www.Grafnetix.COM/~laurent/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Laurent Duperval <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 11:37:54 -0500 (EST)

On 31 Dec, Laurent Duperval wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> For some reason, no matter
> don't know why.

For the record, iconizing programs which have built-in color icons
works properly (tgif, netscape are the two I know about).

---

From: Alexis Rosoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 11:52:25 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 31 Dec 1996, Laurent Duperval wrote:

|> Hello,
|> 
|> I'm using fvwm 2.0.43, compiled on an HPUX 9.05 station using the
|> libraries for X11R6.1. My Xpm lib is 3.4g. For some reason, no matter
|> what i do, I can't get iconized windows to use pixmaps instead of
|> bitmaps. I tried changing the paths, adding a slash at the end of the
|> name, etc. It works with bitmaps but I can't get pixmaps to work and I
|> don't know why. I'm guessing it could be a colormap problem but I'm not
|> sure how to verify this. Xv brings up the pixmaps with no problem. I'm
|> really at my wits' ends.

Which path are you using? In order to use full colour pixmaps your pixmap
path must be set (the pixmap icons don't go in the IconPath). I mention
this because when I first saw it in FVWM it seemed slightly illogical.
There IS a reason of course but putting pixmaps in the IconPath won't
work.

So the PixmapPath should look like this:

PixmapPath /usr/X11/include/X11/pixmaps/:/usr/local/icons

Or wherever you keep your pixmaps.

BTW it's not really bad netiquette to use private email - most lists I've
seen, the replies go to both sender and list. Every so often I've seen
complaints, because this results in duplicate copies, but I doubt it will
change. Some people get annoyed when people ask for private email replies
on USENEt, which personally I've never understood, because USENET is a
heck of a lot less reliable than mailing lists. 

Good luck
Alexis
--
<>------------------<>-----------------()---------------<>-------------<>
<> `And all must love the human form   ()   Alexis Rosoff              <>
<>  In heathen, Turk, or Jew;          ()   [email-masked]              <>
<>  Where mercy, love and pity dwell   ()   Long Island, New York      <>
<>  There God is dwelling too.'        ()   http://www.li.net/~alexis  <>
<>------- -- William Blake ------------()---------------<>-------------<>

---

From: Laurent Duperval <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 12:06:34 -0500 (EST)

> Or wherever you keep your pixmaps.

Aha! Bingo! Didier Nghia Le Tien also pointed out the same thing to me
but I didn't realize what he was talking about until now. I didn't know
you had to have an IconPath *and* a pixmap path. So it ended up being a
problem with the dotfile generator (which doesn't support PixmapPath
for some reason), not fvwm or me (well, inasmuch that I haven't yet read
the manpage from a-z, which make me unaware of these little details ;P).

Thanks Alexis and all the others who helped me out so quickly.