Subject: FVWM: Control over Icons

From: "Jason W. Hinson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 14:39:16 -0500

Hello, all...  I am new to fvwm (and I'm not even all that use to
messing around with X apps), and I'm trying to set it up to organize
different "tasks" I do on different desktops (which seems like an
obvious use for fvwm to me).  Just as a note, each of these "tasks"
may involve one or more emacs windows, Xterms, etc being open.

Anyway, in order to make it really nice for seperating the tasks, I'd
like to be able to do at least ONE of the following, and so far I
haven't been able to figure out how to do any:

(1) Using the icon box (which seems to mean using FvwmIconBox??) I'd
like to be able to move around the icons within the box at will,
placing them wherever I like.

(2) I'd like to have the icon's in the icon box NOT be sticky so that
when I switch windows, the icon box in that window only shows apps
that were activated in that window.

(3) Even if all that is impossible with fvwm, I'd AT LEAST like to be
able to tell which windows are open by looking at the icon in the icon
box (e.g. open windows have shaded icons).  Is this very simple, very
obviously desirable ability possible with fvwm?

In the end, I may have to try not using an icon box, but that's just
might be much more annoying than not being able to do any of the above
(assuming that I can't do any of the above).  I mean, I HATE (1)
having icon's that can be easily covered up with windows (with the
icon box, if just one spot on the icon box is uncovered, I am just one
click away from having access to all my icons) and (2) having icons
disapear when the app is de-iconized--the app is still there, it
should still have the "place" for its icon reserved, I should still
be able to double click on an icon to get to the app (in case it's
window is covered up, for example), etc.  These are the reasons I
really like the icon box, but I'm used to using the icon box in mwm,
and it makes FvwmIconBox look totally second-rate, IMO.

Any suggestions as to how I can do one of the things I have listed
here??  Any suggestions at all will be appreciated.  Thanks!!

-Jay
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Allen Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Dec 1996 14:37:10 -0700

"Jason W. Hinson" <[email-masked]> writes:

Well, FvwmIconMan does 2 and 3. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 1. Do
you mean move the icons around, or what? 

My homepage contains a screenshot of FvwmIconMan in action:

http://www.cs.arizona.edu/people/bradym/software/

-- 
 Brady Montz
 [email-masked]