Subject: FVWM: How to exec the following from menu????

From: "Michael J. Carter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 08:42:17 -0700 (MST)

Here's what I type at the command line:

forteops@fuggles$ { ssh -n forte6 run_cmd forte-ioc } >/dev/console 2>&1 &

When I try and 'Exec' this from a menu, I get the following error:

/bin/sh: {: not found

What is confusing bash here?

mjc

-- 
Michael J. Carter              | Love at first sight is one of the greatest
[email-masked]               | labor-saving devices the world has ever
Space Data Systems (NIS-3)     | seen.
Los Alamos National Laboratory |
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Dec 1996 16:50:27 +0100

>>>>> Michael J Carter writes:

  Michael> forteops@fuggles$ { ssh -n forte6 run_cmd forte-ioc } >/dev/console 2>&1 &

{ ... } groups a number of statements into one statement.  As you're
grouping just one statement you can omit the { ... } safely, I should
think.

The Exec directive probably means that Fvwm just tries to exec the
first word as a program, as that is "{", it doesn't have much luck.

You can always do

Exec /bin/sh -c "{ ssh -n forte6 run_cmd forte-ioc } >/dev/console 2>&1 &"

I suppose.

Does this help?
kai
-- 
I wonder why nobody don't like me,
or is it de fact dat I'm ugly? -- Harry Belafonte
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].