Subject: FVWM: How do I know what desktop I'm On ???

From: Jerome Banks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 11:44:15 -0500

How can an average X program figure out which desktop it has been 
  brought up on??? And how can you force a window to go to a particular
 desktop ( or at least come up on a particular desktop ) ???
 Is this currently possible??? 

  I've been trying the "*desk" resource, with mixed results.
 Is there someway the program can call XtSetValues and XtGetValues
 to get and set desktop information ??? Or am I missing something ???

--Thanks in advance
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Dec 1996 18:10:05 +0100

>>>>> Jerome Banks writes:

  Jerome> How can an average X program figure out which desktop it has
  Jerome> been brought up on??? And how can you force a window to go
  Jerome> to a particular desktop ( or at least come up on a
  Jerome> particular desktop ) ???  Is this currently possible???

WIBNI all the Style command would be undoable?  Then one could send
Fvwm the command

    Style "*" StartsOnDesk foo

Then one could start some application.  Then one could send Fvwm the
command

    Style "*" StartsOnCurrentDesk

which would undo the first Style command.  (Keeping all the specific
Style "foo" commands, of course!)

Wouldn't you all *love* this?  Or isn't it worth the effort?

regards,
kai
-- 
I wonder why nobody don't like me,
or is it de fact dat I'm ugly? -- Harry Belafonte
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 23:49:13 -0500 (EST)

>>>>>  Sometime in the Late 20th Century, Kai Grossjohann wrote:

    Kai> WIBNI all the Style command would be undoable?  Then one could
    Kai> send Fvwm the command
    Kai> 
    Kai>     Style "*" StartsOnDesk foo
    Kai>
    Kai> Then one could start some application.  Then one could send Fvwm
    Kai> the command
    Kai>
    Kai>    Style "*" StartsOnCurrentDesk
    Kai>
    Kai> which would undo the first Style command.

    Well, umm...have you tried this? It works for me, and yes, I love it.

	Cheers & Season's Greetings,
	Bob

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Dec 1996 11:56:59 +0100

>>>>> Bob Woodside writes:

  Bob>     Well, umm...have you tried this? It works for me, and yes,
  Bob>     I love it.

Oh!  Seems like this exists, but is called StartsAnyWhere.  Now, how
do you send these Style commands to Fvwm from a shell script?

kai

---

From: lar3ry gensch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 09:19:39 -0500

> do you send these Style commands to Fvwm from a shell script?

Use FvwmPipe, or FvwmCommand/FvwmCommandS -- I think that both of these
have been posted to the fvwm mailing list (or maybe the -workers
lists).  I think I remember that Chuck said that FvwmCommand/S may be
put in the 'extras' subdirectory of the long-awaited 2.0.44 release.

Email me (NOT the list!) if you would like either of these set up for
fvwm2 or fvwm95 (yes, I use BOTH).

-- 
(void) lar3ry();                                      [email-masked]

  "I'm sorry you saw me, Billy.  Now I'll have to kill you." -- Santa

---

From: System Administrator <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 12:25:43 -0800 (PST)

Compiling on an Ultra-sparc running solaris 2.5.1 and getting this waring
messages from gcc:

gcc: language F not reconized

The flag that is being used with gcc is "-xF" I believe, that is the
problem. What is this about? I suppose that this is a flag that can be
passed the the commercial /usr/ucb/cc compiler?

Patrick

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Dec 1996 17:24:58 -0600

>>>>> "SA" == System Administrator <[email-masked]> writes:

SA> The flag that is being used with gcc is "-xF" I believe, that is the
SA> problem. What is this about? I suppose that this is a flag that can be
SA> passed the the commercial /usr/ucb/cc compiler?

The trick is that if you're going to change compilers, you have to change
the Imake setups to match if you want to use Imake to build X programs.  On
most Suns, the Imake setup is in /usr/openwin/lib/config.

 - J<