Subject: Re: FVWM: Running fvwm instead of CDE on HP-UX 10.2

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 16:31:30 GMT

> but not on HP. Has anyone gotten fvwm running instead of CDE on an HP?
> If so, how did you do it?

I have recently switched to HP-UX 10.10 then 10.20 and this is one of the
things that is a big imporvement.  You don't have to hack script deep in the
VUE/CDE subsystem instead just put the following line in ~/.Xdefaults:

*wmStartupCommand: /home/tim/fvwm-2.0.43/fvwm/fvwm2

This really does have to be in the .Xdeafults file even though X resources are
kept in the server by CDE.  If you comment this line out you will be back to
normal CDE next time you log in.  I set my CDE login style to be Return-to-home
with just a few useful apps since I don't want CDE to try to figure out how to
restart all my apps when I log out.

When you want to log out you will have to do: Exec dtaction ExitSession
Simply exiting Fvwm will not work, it leaves you running without a window
manager which is interesting for a while but not very useable (it is pointer
focus and it doesn't support modality so that's one in the eye for the
ClickToFocusJihad brigade)

Cheers
Tim Phipps.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Henrique Martins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 18:15:45 -0800

>> Has anyone gotten fvwm running instead of CDE on an HP?

> ....  You don't have to hack script deep in the VUE/CDE subsystem instead
> just put the following line in ~/.Xdefaults:
> 
> This really does have to be in the .Xdeafults file even though X
> resources are kept in the server by CDE.  If you comment this line out
> you will be back to normal CDE next time you log in.  I set my CDE login
> style to be Return-to-home with just a few useful apps since I don't want
> CDE to try to figure out how to restart all my apps when I log out.
> 

  I believe there's an easier way, although I'm still experimenting to get
  rid of a few quirks due to my use of zsh.

  Create ~/.dtprofile, and put this single line in it:

    SESSIONTYPE=xdm

  Create ~/.xession as in any other xdm based system.

  Log out/log in, and you should get whatever wm your ~/.xsession desires.

  -- Henrique