Subject: FVWM: Visual config tools?

From: Conrad Sabatier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 21:30:17 -0600 (CST)

Just wondering if anyone is doing any work in this area.  I think it would
be terrific to have some CDE-like visual configuration tools as part of
fvwm(95).  Online menu editing would be a real boon (maybe something like
Netscape's bookmark management).  Button configuration, etc., anything to
make using and configuring fvwm easier, relieving the user of manually 
editing rc's, etc., would be such a blessing.

I think this would be a most productive avenue for any fvwm developers to
pursue.  In fact, I would much prefer to see effort concentrated on this
area than on, say, a Windows-like explorer (although I'm looking forward
to that, too!).

-- 
Conrad Sabatier                  | 
[email-masked]              |  Eschew obfuscation.
http://www.neosoft.com/~conrads  | 

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Fleish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 22:20:40 -0600 (CST)

This site was posted to the list a few weeks ago. It's called The Dotfile
Generator and it does much more than just configure fvwm rc files, it does
all kinds of neat stuff. Here is the address:
http://www.imada.ou.dk/~blackie/dotfile/
It also contains screen shots in case you are unsure as to whether or not
you want to download it or not. It is very cool. It requires the Tcl/Tk
scripting languages to be installed, which can be found at:
http://www.sunlabs.com/research/tcl/
Happy downloading!
Todd

<*>----------------------------<*>
 |				|
 |        Todd Fleisher		|
 |    [email-masked]	|
 | http://stu056.bsc.edu/fleish	|
 |				|
<*>----------------------------<*>

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 09:17:28 -0500

>>>>> "Fleish" == Fleish  <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>> "Conrad" == Conrad Sabatier <[email-masked]> writes:

Conrad> Just wondering if anyone is doing any work in this area.
....

Fleish> This site was posted to the list a few weeks ago. It's called
Fleish> The Dotfile Generator and it does much more than just
Fleish> configure fvwm rc files, it does all kinds of neat stuff.
....

This is also in the FAQ.

Chuck

---

From: "Mike A. Harris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 08:52:36 -0500

> editing rc's, etc., would be such a blessing.

I'm running Slackware 3.10 and when I use the default installation of X,
fvwm95 is set up as the window manager.  If you bring up the utilities
menu you will find a submenu called "Modules".  Under the Modules menu,
you find "Configure" with a small hammer icon.  When clicking on
"Configure" nothing happens.  When looking at the VC that X was started
from you get:

fvwm: No such module /usr/X11.../FvwmConfig

It seems as though the person who prepared the default .fvwm95rc either:

1) Forgot to include FvwmConfig with the    	
   distribution.
2) Put it on the menu in anticipation.
3) Has a very bad sense of humor.

I'm hoping for #2.  The ability to edit .fvwmrc and configure FVWM is
fantastic, however something like the Windows Control Panel would be
MUCH better! (Before the flames come: I HATE MS-WINDOWS of any flavor or
version (Including '95))

Does anyone know the scoop on fvwmconfig?????

---

From: Jeppe Buk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 13:55:32 +0100 (MET)

> "Configure" nothing happens.  When looking at the VC that X was started

[snip]

>  The ability to edit .fvwmrc and configure FVWM is

Have You tried The Dotfile Generator? (And _yes_ I'm the author of the
Fvwm modules for this program -- it's GPL'd, though;).

It's a program for visual configuration of applications, among others Fvwm
1/2. You still have to restart fvwm after editing, though, since the
program generates the .rc file (don't worry - it doesn't overwrite
.fvwm2rc by default).

If You're interested, find out more from my web-page:
http://www.imada.ou.dk/~buk/fvwm/

Please note that the latest release is still in beta -- but then again, so
is Fvwm2 ;-)  The next release (due out next week, probably) will include
a parser to read existing .fvwm2rc files (or parts thereof).

Please tell me what You think of my modules.

Regards,
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeppe Buk
Student of Computer Science / Student Programmer
IMADA, Odense University                          Phone:   +45 6557 2347
DK-5230 Odense M.                                 Email: [email-masked]
Denmark                                WWW: http://www.imada.ou.dk/~buk/
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hot Java! found -- Operator's coffee is being heated on his cpu!
------------------------------------------------------------------------