Subject: FVWM: [fvwm-2.0.43] focus lossage using XEmacs-19.1[45]

From: Mark Borges <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 10:11:30 -0700

This is primarily directed at those users who use fvwm-2.0.43 and a
recent version of XEmacs -- 19.14 or the latest 19.15 beta release.

Right now, I'm mainly interested in determining if anyone else can
verify this (or similar) lossage on another machine using fvwm-2.0.43
and XEmacs-19.1[45] and Gnus-5.

>> On 23 Dec 1996 10:36:38 -0800,
>> Steven L Baur(sb) wrote:
>>>>>> "mb" == Mark Borges <[email-masked]> writes:

mb> One other note -- I have set:

mb> focus-follows-mouse's value is t
mb> but it doesn't appear to solve anything for me.

Actually, it does help some (see below).

sb> It solves all the focus related stuff I've complained about in the
sb> past with olvwm.

So perhaps I'm witnessing an fvwm-2.0.43 bug...

mb> In particular, I was hoping this would correct the problem where
mb> the XEmacs display goes blank and does not return unless an
mb> iconify/de-iconify sequence is given. This happens consistently
mb> using fvwm-2.0.43 under the following scenario:

mb> (1) Start Gnus from the toolbar
mb> (2) Go to another desktop
mb> (3) Come back to the page containing the XEmacs Gnus
mb> frame. It's now blank.

sb> I've never noticed anything along those lines.  You have reached the
sb> *Groups*/*Topics* buffer display, right?

In the above scenario, no. But if I let Gnus get to the point where it
shows it's splash screen (with the yellowish Gnu animal), and then
switch desktops, I'm OK.

sb> I've seen the display blank out while Gnus is initializing (or there
sb> is a long sequence of lisp code), but it always redisplays when I
sb> return to the desktop in question and XEmacs is idling in the command
sb> loop.  This is possibly a fvwm bug?  Do you have another virtual
sb> window manager to try your XEmacs settings with?

Yes. If I switch desktops in fvwm while the window is blank, I come
back to a blank window. But if I wait for the splash screen, as
described above, switch desktops and then come back I see the *Group*
buffer displayed. I don't believe this semi-win happens in
19.14. Perhaps the rest of the problem is in fact a bug in the fvwm
window manager. I'll try to grab olvwm and build it later to test this
out.

-- 
  -mb-
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 14:06:50 -0500

>>>>> "mb" == Mark Borges <[email-masked]> writes:

mb> This is primarily directed at those users who use fvwm-2.0.43 and a
mb> recent version of XEmacs -- 19.14 or the latest 19.15 beta release.

mb> Right now, I'm mainly interested in determining if anyone else can
mb> verify this (or similar) lossage on another machine using fvwm-2.0.43
mb> and XEmacs-19.1[45] and Gnus-5.
....
mb> Yes. If I switch desktops in fvwm while the window is blank, I come
mb> back to a blank window. But if I wait for the splash screen, as
mb> described above, switch desktops and then come back I see the *Group*
mb> buffer displayed. I don't believe this semi-win happens in
mb> 19.14. Perhaps the rest of the problem is in fact a bug in the fvwm
mb> window manager. I'll try to grab olvwm and build it later to test this
mb> out.

Many people have reported seening things like this with various XEmacs
versions under fvwm (although I don't think I've ever really noticed
and I use XEmacs a lot, including the betas although I've really been
slipping as a beta tester due to lack of time).  I probably still have
some of the notes that were sent to the xemacs-beta list lying around
here somewhere...

I believe a few people reported seeing it under other virtual window
managers as well (tvtwm & ctwm?) which leads me to believe that it's
not really a problem with fvwm (although that wouldn't overly suprise
me either).

Let me know if you can or can't reproduce it with olvwm (or tvtwm or
ctwm).  I'll try to reproduce it again as well, when I get a chance.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis Developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

         "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're just havin' a nightmare
             -- of course, we ARE still in Hell." (Gary Larson)
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 15:44:08 -0500 (EST)

I want to make a fvwmbuttons button that will do 3 differnet actions
depending on which mouse button is used to click on it. Is that possible?

-- 
#!/usr/bin/perl -pi_______Syntax:_sig.pl_<location-of-netscape-program>_______
BEGIN{if(!$ARGV[0]){$^I=~y/_/ /;print"$^I\n";exit}$^I='.bak'}#       Joey Hess
s/\bnoframes\b/noFrames/g;s/\bframeset\b/frameSet/g#          [email-masked]
#Remove frames from Netscape forever! <http://kite.ml.org/~joey/framefree.cgi>

---

From: Mark Borges <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Dec 1996 15:34:25 -0700

>> On Mon, 30 Dec 1996 14:06:50 -0500,
>> Charles Hines(CH) wrote:

mb> If I switch desktops in fvwm while the window is blank, I come
mb> back to a blank window. But if I wait for the splash screen, as
mb> described above, switch desktops and then come back I see the
mb> *Group* buffer displayed. I don't believe this semi-win happens in
mb> 19.14. Perhaps the rest of the problem is in fact a bug in the
mb> fvwm window manager. I'll try to grab olvwm and build it later to
mb> test this out.

CH> Many people have reported seening things like this with various XEmacs
CH> versions under fvwm (although I don't think I've ever really noticed
CH> and I use XEmacs a lot, including the betas although I've really been
CH> slipping as a beta tester due to lack of time).  I probably still have
CH> some of the notes that were sent to the xemacs-beta list lying around
CH> here somewhere...

CH> I believe a few people reported seeing it under other virtual window
CH> managers as well (tvtwm & ctwm?) which leads me to believe that it's
CH> not really a problem with fvwm (although that wouldn't overly suprise
CH> me either).

CH> Let me know if you can or can't reproduce it with olvwm (or tvtwm or
CH> ctwm).  I'll try to reproduce it again as well, when I get a chance.

FWIW (probably not much) I can't reproduce it using CDE-1.0.2. After
Gnus-5 was done loading and ready to display the *Group* buffer, it
(rudely) pops itself into my current workspace.

Of course, I don't really know CDE, so I was running with the
equivalent of ClickToFocus and w/o SkipMapping and SloppyFocus (my
normal XEmacs styles).

I'll try to build olvwm and see if it works there as well.

---

From: Markus Gutschke <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Dec 1996 09:26:39 +0100

> depending on which mouse button is used to click on it. Is that possible?

If you want the button to do anything fancy, then the easiest solution
is writing a small X application that gets swallowed in the
fvwmbuttons bar. If you need sample code, then feel free to contact me
and I will send you a copy of my "isdnbutton" code. This is a small
application that displays some status information, reacts to various
mouse clicks and handles a popup menu. It also deals with the problem
of being a setuid-root application, but you can probably discard that
part of the code. In order to be highly portable, it is written in C
and uses the Athena widget set.

Markus

-- 
Markus Gutschke          Internet:       [email-masked]
Schlage 5a               PGP public key: finger -l [email-masked]
D-48268 Greven-Gimbte
Germany                            >>> I prefer encrypted e-mail <<<
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].