Subject: Re: FVWM: CleverPlacement question

From: Anthony Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 23:16:14 -0800 (PST)

On 28 Nov 1996, Kai Grossjohann wrote:

> using CleverPlacement (or SmartPlacement) is it now possible to ignore
> certain kinds of windows (ie pretend they weren't there)?  I always
> keep an xclock on my screen, but if it needs to be obscured by some
> other window, that's fine.  So, if a new window can be placed by
> obscuring an xclock or by obscuring part of an xterm, I'd like it to
> always prefer the former alternative.
> 
> Can it?

The functionality exists in the SmartPlacement code to do "weighting" of
window importance.  It already does this for StaysOnTop windows, but
currently not for any other types of windows.  The problem is how to
communicate the desired weighting to the SmartPlacement function.  It
would seem that a new Style flag would have to be added, which I don't
know if Chuck would want to include at this point.  I think this type of
thing might need to wait until after the Great Style Flag Rewrite.  So
currently to get this type of functionality you would have to hard code it
into SmartPlacement.  (Which isn't as hard as it might sound.  It only
requires one line of code (per weighting)).

Tony.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].