Subject: FVWM: compiling fvwm2.0.43

From: Randall E Cone <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 00:43:02 -0500

Hey folks!

This is a very basic newbie question, since I am nothing but a Linux
newbie: Could someone please tell me some basic things to check and do
to install fvwm2?
As per the install file, I typed xmkmf;make Makefiles and was given back
"make: ***No rule to make target 'Makefiles'. Stop".  
I have never 'made' or compiled a file in Linux before.  What should I do
and what should I read to become more familiar?
I'm currently running fvwm (in Slackware2.0.0) and I'm loving it.
Thanks for reading and considering.
-Randy C.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: TeeJay <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 22:33:28 +0100 (MET)

> and what should I read to become more familiar?

You shouldn't have done "make Makefiles", it should have been
"./MakeMakefiles". So you type "xmkmf;./MakeMakefiles" and after that the
normal "make", "make install" and "make install.man". This should do the
trick... :)

TeeJay signing off while saying:
                      "Avoid the Gates of Hell.  Use Linux"