Subject: FVWM: How to "ignore" application-specified icons?

From: Steve Tynor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 96 10:15:39 EST

FVWM 2.0.43.

Is it possible to get FVWM to ignore application-specified icons? I
don't use FvwmIconBox or FvwmIconMan, just the standard "iconbox" Style
-- my icons end up on the desktop. 

The problem is that I really don't like big 24x24 or 32x32 icons. I much
prefer a simple box with just the window name in it (no graphics). This
is how my XTerms iconify. I want to force my XEmacs's and Netscapes to
do the same, but can't figure out how. 

Is there something I can set in my .fvwm2rc?  Maybe in my .Xdefaults?
I've tried to RTFM, but I can't find anything in the fvwm man page.

Thanks in advance,

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon.

Steve Tynor		Email:   [email-masked]
Tower Technology 	WWW:     http://www.twr.com/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 17:24:22 +0000

On Fri, 13 Dec 96 10:15:39 EST
Steve Tynor <[email-masked]> 
> I've tried to RTFM, but I can't find anything in the fvwm man page.

Steve

Look at the logic in icons.c and you'll see why nothing overrides
the application's pixmap suggestion. The code looks first for a bitmap
or pixmap specified in .fvwm2rc. If the window is still of zero size after
that it tries the app's IconWindowHint, then the IconPixmapHint.

However, here's a small patch I did some time ago that can override these
hints by saying, e.g.
    Style "Netscape*"  Icon NoPixmap

--- fvwm/icons.c.orig	Sun Jun  9 20:57:11 1996
+++ fvwm/icons.c	Thu Jun 13 10:57:54 1996
@@ -85,6 +85,14 @@
 	  (tmp_win->wmhints)&&(tmp_win->wmhints->flags & IconPixmapHint))
     GetIconBitmap(tmp_win);
 
+  /* Allow override of application icon using 'Icon NoPixmap' */
+  if ( (tmp_win->icon_bitmap_file != NULL) &&
+       !(strncasecmp(tmp_win->icon_bitmap_file, "NoPixmap", 8)) ) {
+    tmp_win->icon_p_height = 0;
+    tmp_win->icon_p_width = 0;
+  } 
+
+
   /* figure out the icon window size */
   if (!(tmp_win->flags & NOICON_TITLE)||(tmp_win->icon_p_height == 0))
     {

Hope that does what you want.
Ric

Richard J. Lister, Research Assistant    
Neural Computing Research Group, Aston University
[email-masked] 
http://www.ncrg.aston.ac.uk/~listerrj/ 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Steve Tynor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 96 12:47:41 EST

Richard Lister <[email-masked]> wrote:

| Look at the logic in icons.c and you'll see why nothing overrides
| the application's pixmap suggestion. The code looks first for a bitmap
| or pixmap specified in .fvwm2rc. If the window is still of zero size after
| that it tries the app's IconWindowHint, then the IconPixmapHint.
| 
| However, here's a small patch I did some time ago that can override these
| hints by saying, e.g.

Thanks Richard -- this seems to do exactly what I want. Sure hope it
gets merged into 2.0.44!

Steve