Subject: FVWM: 2 questions / keymap / cut/paste

From: Ted Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 23:41:55 -0800 (GMT-0800)

this is great when I press the left shift key the computer will back space
for me! great! well I read a message about keymaps and stuff and it showed
that keymap 50 = BackSpace but it looks like it maped my left shift key,
how do I set it up so that I can use the backspace key in Netscape and in
tkgoodstuff?

and for my second question how do I get the autoraise and auto focus
functions to work? 

what the heck and for my third and final question why does the cut and
past function not work? I can not use the shift-insert to past some text.

Ted Freitas
[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ted Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 23:50:21 -0800 (GMT-0800)

Test Message

---

From: TeeJay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 11:16:06 +0100 (MET)

> how do I set it up so that I can use the backspace key in Netscape and in

AFAIK it's keymap 22. Someone correct me if I'm wrong... :)

> and for my second question how do I get the autoraise and auto focus

Add this to .fvwm2rc. It'll raise windows 500 milliseconds after they got 
focus.

AddToFunc "InitFunction"
+               "I" Module FvwmAuto 500

Use the following to give focus to windows the mouse is in, it won't
un-focus when you get above the desktop.

Style "*" SloppyFocus

> past function not work? I can not use the shift-insert to past some text.

I always cut/paste by selecting text with the first mouse-button and
pasting it with the second/middle button. BTW: That is COPY/paste. I
wouldn't know how to do CUT/paste.

TeeJay signing off while saying:
                      "Avoid the Gates of Hell.  Use Linux"

---

From: Ted Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 04:38:30 -0800 (GMT-0800)

looking for a good Xwindows type email program, can anyone reomend a good
one?

---
Ted

|o|=========================================================|o|
|o| Ted G. Freitas                        [email-masked] |o|
|o| Radio Operator - KE6YJC  [email-masked] |o|
|o|=========================================================|o|
|o|              Visalia TCP/IP Switch Operator             |o|  
|o|     Telnet/FTP 44.2.10.192 <visalia.ke6yjc.ampr.org>    |o|
|o|                    Running Tnos v2.20                   |o|
|o|/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/|o|

---

From: Mark Valery <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 1996 10:27:41 -0500

I like exmh. This is a tcl/tk program that sits on top of the mh mail
utilites. Therefore, there is more to setting things up when compared to
openwindows mailtool. You have to install tcl/tk and the mh utilities, but
I believe that its worth it.

get exmh from ftp.sunlabs.com or http://www.sunlabs.com/~bwelch/exmh/index.html
get tcl/tk from http://www.sun.com/960710/cover/dltcl.html
get mh from ftp://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/mh

In message <[email-masked].

-- 
__________________________________________________
Mark Valery			[email-masked]
World Wide Practice Management	508-262-6249
Cadence Design Systems          508-262-6777 (Fax)

---

From: Jamie Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 10:34:04 -0500 (EST)

I like exmh too, but is there any way to change editors in it?  I prefer a 
"vi" like editor.  Pine lets you switch among different editors.

---

From: Mark Valery <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 1996 10:38:09 -0500

Go in to the preferences windo and choose "Editor Support". Put whatever
commands you want in there.

In message <[email-masked]>, Jamie

---

From: Fleish <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 15:27:49 -0600 (CST)

I have seen a really cool one called asmail, that utilizes tkrat, which
requires the tcl/tk scripting languages installed... but I have not yet
tried it. Does anyone know where it is located???
Todd

<*>----------------------------<*>
 |				|
 |        Todd Fleisher		|
 |    [email-masked]	|
 | http://stu056.bsc.edu/fleish	|
 |				|
<*>----------------------------<*>

---

From: Min Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 16:56:17 -0600 (CST)

The address for asmail is http://www.rby.hk-r.se/~pt95pli/asmail.html
I also recomment the module Wharf of Afterstep. Wharf works as Goodstuff
but it has more features such as you can creat a button which will draw
out some other buttons if you press it and the buttons will draw back
after you click it again. Wharf can be used in fvwm like a module as
Goodstuff.

---

From: "Lansing D. Pickup" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 1996 13:24:35 -0500

>I believe that its worth it.

Speaking of exmh, has anyone ever noticed the strange behavior interaction
between exmh and fvwm?  Specifically when a note with an X-Url tag arrives,
exmh puts a small "URL" button next to the face display.  When I move to
the NEXT message and the "URL" button goes away, the exmh window suddenly
changes positions!  Sometimes the title bar is moved completely off the
screen.  It is quite annoying.  I was wondering if anyone could explain
this?

  I am using exmh 1.6.5 and fvwm 2.0 pl 35 on an RS/6000 running AIX 4.1.4.

  Thanks!

    ...Lance

--
Lance Pickup      O-        VNET/IBM Internet: lpickup@btv
Modeling Automation                  Internet: [email-masked]
IBM Microelectronics
Burlington, VT                          Phone: (802) 769-7104 (tie 446)

---

From: Jamie Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 10:13:45 -0500 (EST)

I'm no expert here, but perhaps you'd have better luck
with the latest stable exmh version, 1.6.9.

A quick web search should point you to the site.
Search on exmh and Brent Welsch.

jamie 

p.s.  The installation is pretty painless.

---

From: Chris Rode <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 10:03:38 CST

"Lansing D. Pickup" <[email-masked]> wrote:

---------->> I'm using exmh 1.6.9 and fvwm 2.0.43 on various machines
running Ultrix 4.3, Digital Unix (OSF/1) 3.2c, and Irix 5.3, and have
never experienced the exmh window changing positions on me...

fwiw,
--chris.

--
"how did we get this far apart?  we used to be so close together...
   how did we get this far apart?  i thought this love would last forever..."
      "there is no-one left in the world that i can hold onto...there is
          really no-one left at all..."  -- cure.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Lansing D. Pickup" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 10:53:46 -0500

>with the latest stable exmh version, 1.6.9.

  I have now tried the latest fvwm and the latest exmh (1.6.9) and the
problem still exists.  However, during the course of testing, I found that
it only happens when I specify the geometry on the command line:

exmh -geom 920x970-165-10 &

  If I let the geometry default, I do not get this odd behavior.

  I have not yet tried this with other window managers to see if I get
the same results, but I will and I'll let you know what the outcome is.

  ...Lance

---

From: "Jacques B. Siboni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 21:33:13 +0000

> I believe that its worth it.

I am looking for a good email program too. I use Netscape because I
could
not find something better. When I was using Windows, I used Pegasus Mail
I think it has all the functionnalities needed. But unfortunately,
it does not run on Unix, Linux platforms. Do you know if exmh
has more features than Netscape? And what about asmail?

Cheers

Jacques

-- 
Dr. Jacques B. Siboni <[email-masked]>
8 pass. Charles Albert, F75018 Paris, France
Tel. & Fax: (33 1) 42 28 76 78
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Guido Notari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 12:55:46 +0100 (MET)

> not find something better. When I was using Windows, I used Pegasus Mail

The best I found, and the one I'm using now is ML.  Nice look and good
functionality.  The only problem is that is Motif-based.  There is a statically
linked executable on the ftp site, and someone has found out that it compiles
and run with lesstif 0.71.

This is the URL: http://www-SMI.Stanford.EDU/projects/imap/ml/index.html

Best regards
		Guido Notari

---
Guido Notari (EC Joint Research Centre, Ispra)
postal:  TP 210,  JRC,  21020 Ispra (VA),  Italia
tel: +39 332 785528    fax: +39 332 785813

---

From: Marina Passaseo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 14:32:35 +0100 (MET)

Hello,
I think a very nice e-mail program is XFmail. It uses Xforms library.
It has a lot of useful features, and nice graphics.
You can find it at

http://Burka.NetVision.net.il/xfmail/xfmail.html

                     Ciao Marina
----------------------------------
E-Mail: Marina Passaseo <[email-masked]>
Date: 12/17/96
Time: 14:32:39

This message was sent by XF-Mail
----------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Valery <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 09:46:48 -0500

This is completely my own personal opinion. Picking email readers
is similar to picking an editor.
I prefer exmh to openwindow's mailtool, zmail, netscape's mail, and 
any command line email tool. I have not tried asmail.

---

From: Stephen Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 11:57:06 -0800

[email-masked] said:
> Do you know if exmh has more features than Netscape?

It has enough for me. And if you are running Linux you can (and should)
be using procmail to process your mail., no matter what mail tool you use.

-- 
Steve Williams
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.  But I have promises to keep,
And lines to code before I sleep, And lines to code before I sleep."

---

From: Alexis Rosoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 18:16:21 -0500

On Mon, 16 Dec 1996 21:33:13 GMT, "Jacques B. Siboni" wrote:

|> Mark Valery wrote:
|> > 
|> > I like exmh. This is a tcl/tk program that sits on top of the mh mail
|> > utilites. Therefore, there is more to setting things up when compared to
|> > openwindows mailtool. You have to install tcl/tk and the mh utilities, but
|> > I believe that its worth it.
|> 
|> I am looking for a good email program too. I use Netscape because I
|> could not find something better. When I was using Windows, I used 
|> Pegasus Mail
|> I think it has all the functionnalities needed. But unfortunately,
|> it does not run on Unix, Linux platforms. Do you know if exmh
|> has more features than Netscape? And what about asmail?

I'm currently using exmh 2.0alpha. It's got a few bugs (alpha release 'n 
all) but it's a very good mailer. It has excellent MIME support, 
integrated PGP, mail fetching via POP3 (and can do multiple methods of 
incorporating mail), filtering via either the separate procmail package or 
the MH slocal package, coloured folder labels to indicate new mail, an 
icon which acts as a biff replacement, facesaver support, glimpse fulltext 
searching (making it easy to find that email you know you have somewhere) 
HTML documentation, etc etc. It's definitely at the high-power end of the 
spectrum, although I've not used some of the mailers mentioned in this 
thread such as Zmail. 

Of the Windows mailers I'd say it surpasses Pegasus by miles and Eudora 
Pro 3.0 by a fairly good margin.

Cheers
Alexis
-- 
<>-----------------<>-----------------<>--------------<>-------------<>
<> `And all must love the human form  <>  Alexis Rosoff              <>
<>  In heathen, Turk or Jew;          <>  [email-masked]              <>
<>  Where mercy, love and pity dwell  <>  Long Island, New York      <>
<>  There God is dwelling too.'       <>  http://www.li.net/~alexis  <>
<>----------- William Blake ----------<>--------------<>-------------<>