Subject: Re: FVWM: Controling Icons ???

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 15:44:52 -0500 (EST)

Thanks much for the response...

> [email-masked] writes
> Well, FvwmIconMan does 2 and 3. It'll also tell you which window has
> the focus. The focus feature is mainly useful in distinguishing all
> of my many xterm's from each other. I'm not exactly sure what you
> mean by 1. Do you mean move the icons around, or what?

Ah... well I just checked with the guy in charge of putting this stuff
on the system around here, and we have fvwm2b40 which doesn't include
FvwmIconMan :-(

Perhaps he will get around to updating the version within the next,
oh, few _months_ (I'm guessing :-).  Until then, I guess I'm
stuck. (Unless someone knows how and wants to explain how I can get
this one module myself and somehow make it work with the fvwm we have
installed here...anyone?  anyone? :-) No, _really_ anyone?

In any case, the IconMan sounds pretty nice.  As for what I meant by
#1...
(1) Using the icon box (which seems to mean using FvwmIconBox??)
I'd like to be able to move around the icons within the box at
will, placing them wherever I like.
...
yes, I'd like to be able to click on an icon and move it to some
particular part of the icon box to make that it's understood
location.  That way I can separate out certain Icon's visually from
certain other Icons without having to rely on any particular regular
expression matching (I'd just say... hmm, these two apps are related
to the same task, so I want them both in this corner of the icon box,
for example).  Of course, being able to have separate icons show up
depending on what window I am in, for example, would work well too.

> bradym also writes
> Also, I believe thet the FvwmTaskBar module now has the ability to
> only list windows on the current page. It looks like the windows 95
> taskbar. It was written for fvwm95, but I've been told it works with
> fvwm. It's certainly a personal decision about whether to use
> something that looks like microsoft wrote it, but I'll admit that it
> looks rather sharp, even if it does take up more screen real estate
> than necessary. Something to talk about with your doctor.

Have something on my desktop look like Windows 95 (or anything else
microsoft wrote)????  NO thank you!  :-)

-Jay

For those interested, [email-masked] has responded to this
already with the following.  If anyone has anything else to add, I'd
be gretful:

> Anyhow, to install FvwmIconMan, go to http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/
> and get the fvwm source, then go to
> http://www.cs.arizona.edu/people/bradym/software/ and get the
> FvwmIconMan source. Untar the fvwm source. Go into the
> fvwm-2.0.43/modules directory and rm -rf FvwmIconMan, and untar the
> new FvwmIconMan source into the modules directory.
> 
> If you want to install this fvwm distribution into somewhere in your
> home directory, you should edit the Fvwm.tmpl file
> appropriately. Otherwise, it doesn't matter so just do a "xmkmf -a"
> and then a "make". In the modules/FvwmIconMan directory should be
> the FvwmIconMan executable. Stick that wherever you like and make
> sure you set your ModulePath variable in your .fvwm2rc so that fvwm
> can find the module. For example, in my .fvwm2rc I have:
> 
> ModulePath /home/bradym/bin/i686.Linux/modules/:/usr/local/lib/fvwm2
> 
> If all that's too messy, then once I get home tonight I can email
> you a tar file of FvwmIconMan that'll compile without needing the
> fvwm source tree. Basically, you just need some extra .c and .h
> files that FvwmIconMan normally gets from the fvwm source tree. Or,
> if you are running linux (either alpha or x86) I could just email
> you the executable.
> 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Dec 1996 22:53:48 +0100

>>>>> hinson  writes:

  Jay> Ah... well I just checked with the guy in charge of putting
  Jay> this stuff on the system around here, and we have fvwm2b40
  Jay> which doesn't include FvwmIconMan :-(

It isn't too difficult to compile fvwm yourself.  You need to have
done this before, though.

Nothing more than editing Fvwm.tmpl then running xmkmf, then make,
then make install.

hth,
kai
-- 
I wonder why nobody don't like me,
or is it de fact dat I'm ugly? -- Harry Belafonte
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Dec 1996 22:57:06 +0100

>>>>> hinson  writes:

  Jay> yes, I'd like to be able to click on an icon and move it to
  Jay> some particular part of the icon box to make that it's
  Jay> understood location.  That way I can separate out certain
  Jay> Icon's visually from certain other Icons without having to rely
  Jay> on any particular regular expression matching (I'd just
  Jay> say... hmm, these two apps are related to the same task, so I
  Jay> want them both in this corner of the icon box, for example).
  Jay> Of course, being able to have separate icons show up depending
  Jay> on what window I am in, for example, would work well too.

You could use desks for that.  Just have one desk for task A, one for
task B.  That way you don't even have to iconify your windows :-)

I have one desk for sysadmin stuff, one for WWW stuff, one `home' desk
for reading mail and programming, one for doing TeX stuff, and 2
`miscellaneous' desks.  You can have up to 32768 (or so, it's 2**15)
desks, that should be enough for all practical purposes :-)

kai