Subject: FVWM: Re: How do I know what desktop I'm On ???

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 96 10:10:19

>>>>>  Kai Grossjohann schreibt:

      Kai>  Now, how do you send those Style commands to Fvwm from
      Kai>  a shell script?

    Do you really want to do that? I normally do one of the following
to change Style settings on the fly.

    If I get a sudden notion to make some ad hoc change, I just use
FvwmTalk to send the appropriate command to fvwm.

    If it's something that I do quite often, then I define functions and/or
menu items in my .fvwmrc. Something like

      AddToFunc  XtermOnDesk3    Nop
      +                "I"                    Style "xterm" StartsOnDesk 3
      +                "I"                    Exec xterm -[my favorite xterm opts]
      +                "I"                    Style "xterm" StartsAnyWhere

would do the trick, with maybe a menu item like

      AddToMenu  Some-Misc-Stuff    "Some Miscellaneous Stuff"    Title
      +                "Start Special Xterm on Desk 3"    XtermOnDesk3

Note that once you've defined a function, you can invoke it on the fly
just like any built-in fvwm function. So you could just say "XtermOnDesk3"
via FvwmTalk.

    Hope this helps. If you really, really, really, really need to send fvwm
commands from a script, you may need to look at doing a hack of FvwmTalk
to catch your script's stdout.

        Cheers,
        Bob
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Dec 1996 21:26:11 +0100

>>>>> proteus  writes:

  Bob> If it's something that I do quite often, then I define
  Bob> functions and/or menu items in my .fvwmrc. Something like

  Bob>       AddToFunc  XtermOnDesk3    Nop
  Bob>       +                "I"                    Style "xterm" StartsOnDesk 3
  Bob>       +                "I"                    Exec xterm -[my favorite xterm opts]
  Bob>       +                "I"                    Style "xterm" StartsAnyWhere

  Bob> would do the trick, [...]

You're right.  And FvwmForm allows me to interactively enter the name
of a program that I'd like to start on some desk.  I think I might not
need this after all...  But then I think I don't really need that
feature of starting apps on some other desk than the current one.  The
original poster now knows what can be done, as well.

Thanks for your helpful reply,
kai
-- 
I wonder why nobody don't like me,
or is it de fact dat I'm ugly? -- Harry Belafonte
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].