Subject: Re: FVWM: Xwindow Email program

From: "Lansing D. Pickup" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 12:49:30 -0500

>[email-masked] said:
>>   I have now tried the latest fvwm and the latest exmh (1.6.9) and
>> the problem still exists.  However, during the course of testing, I
>> found that it only happens when I specify the geometry on the command
>> line:
>>
>> exmh -geom 920x970-165-10 &
>>
>>   If I let the geometry default, I do not get this odd behavior.
>
>Do you by chance have the exmh 'remeber window placement' preference
>set to ON? I seem to recall that having that, was a very good reason
>to NOT start with a geometry....
>
>Check your prefs, and erase the placement-lines in your .exmh-defaults,
>that might help.

  Okay, it's been a good day!

  I should have read the following from my .exmh-defaults-color file (even
though it's not that clear about what the bug is):

! To avoid a resizing bug in TK, do not specify geometry resources
! for the toplevel windows.  Instead, use "position", which
! exmh groks.  The bug is that you cannot specify a geometry like
! +10-40 for a toplevel frame (frame creation barfs), and if you
! specify a width and height, it has to be in pixels (because the
! gridded text subwindow isn't created yet) and you don't have
! any clue as to the right size.  If you guess wrong, the window
! will jump from your wrong size to the correct size that has room
! to pack all its subwindows.  Alternatively, go ahead and pick a
! pixel size for the toplevel, but do not specify a geometry for
! the text subwindow.

  I actually killed two bugs today.  First, I found that the only way I could
really get this to work was to turn off remember window placement and specify
the geometry without the offset, or I could use window placement, but I had
an erroneous "exmh.geometry: " in my .exmh-defaults-color file, which I
imagine canceled the saved geometry, and I was just getting the default
geometry.  But now it does remember my geometry, and without specifying the
offset, I don't get the strange behavior any more!

  The second bug was that it was taking 5 minutes to exit from exmh.
After taking Mattias' recommendation and turning off remember window
placement and removing all my gazillion positions from my .exmh-defaults file,
exmh now exits immediately!  Oh happy day!

  Thanks for the help everyone.

    ...Lance

--
Lance Pickup      O-        VNET/IBM Internet: lpickup@btv
Modeling Automation                  Internet: [email-masked]
IBM Microelectronics
Burlington, VT                          Phone: (802) 769-7104 (tie 446)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].