Subject: FVWM: Are these things possible in fvwm2?

From: "Eddy J. Gurney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 11:30:05 -0500

I have started using fvwm2 (2.0.43) and was wondering if any of the
following features are possible:

1) Ability to resize a window during active placement, like other window
   managers (twm) can. Click (and hold) to place window, then drag window
   grid to desired size, and release.

2) Change a window's ClickToFocus/FocusFollowsMouse setting after the window
   has already been placed. Sometimes, I'll have an xterm that I open to
   tail a log file or something and I decide I don't want it autoraising.
   Setting it to ClickToFocus would alleviate that problem. A nice generic
   solution would be nice, but I would be happy with a solution specific to
   xterm if there is some way to do it by changing the window's title/icon
   name/class/etc. (i.e., have an "clickXterm" class defined in .fvwm2rc
   that is set to ClickToFocus and then somehow tell fvwm2 to use that class
   instead of "xterm".)

3) Override SmartPlacement/CleverPlacement/etc to ActivePlacement on-the-
   fly. For instance, I'd like to have a pop-up menu choice that says "xterm"
   (which does SmartPlacement) and a "Place xterm" option, that would have
   some option on that line to tell it to use ActivePlacement for the next
   window. This would be especially useful with my first question above,
   because then if you know you want a 100x60 xterm, you could easily do it
   all at once...

Also, I just got a second head for my Sparc, and when I start fvwm2, it makes
both screens look identical: it starts two button bars, two xloads, two
asclocks... even two FvwmAuto's (is that really necessary?!?!) I'd like to
have different configurations for each screen. Are there samples of how to do
this with m4? (I am already pre-processing my files with m4.)

Thanks for any suggestions,
Eddy

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Dec 1996 09:59:28 +0100

>>>>> Eddy J Gurney writes:

  Eddy> 1) Ability to resize a window during active placement, like
  Eddy>    other window managers (twm) can. Click (and hold) to place
  Eddy>    window, then drag window grid to desired size, and release.

Fvwm has this, and it works just like in twm: when the grid appears,
use mouse button 1 to place it, mouse button 2 to resize it before
placing.  Sadly, Fvwm doesn't grok mouse button 3 (zoom bottom),
though.

hth,
kai
-- 
I wonder why nobody don't like me,
or is it de fact dat I'm ugly? -- Harry Belafonte
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 11:10:34 -0500 (EST)

I sent this out once before, but it was before I actually joined the
list, so I'm tring it again...

Hello, all...  I am new to fvwm (and I'm not even all that use to
messing around with X apps in general), and I'm trying to set it up to
organize different "tasks" of mine on different desktops (which seems
like an obvious use for fvwm to me).  Just as a note, each of these
"tasks" may involve one or more emacs windows, Xterms, etc being open.

Anyway, in order to make it really nice for seperating the tasks, I'd
like to be able to do at least ONE of the following, and so far I
haven't been able to figure out how to do any:

(1) Using the icon box (which seems to mean using FvwmIconBox??) I'd
like to be able to move around the icons within the box at will,
placing them wherever I like.

(2) I'd like to have the icon's in the icon box NOT be sticky so that
when I switch windows, the icon box in that window only shows apps
that were activated in that window.

(3) Even if all that is impossible with fvwm, I'd AT LEAST like to be
able to tell which windows are open by looking at the icon in the icon
box (e.g. open windows have shaded icons).  Is this very simple, very
obviously desirable ability possible with fvwm?

In the end, I may have to try not using an icon box, but that just
might be much more annoying than not being able to do any of the above
(assuming that I can't do any of the above).  I mean, I HATE (1)
having icon's that can be easily covered up with windows (with the
icon box, if just one spot on the icon box is uncovered, I am just one
click away from having access to all my icons) and (2) having icons
disapear when the app is de-iconized--the app is still there, it
should still have the "place" for its icon reserved, I should still be
able to double click on an icon to get to the app (in case it's window
is covered up, for example), etc.  These are the reasons I really like
the icon box, but I'm used to using the icon box in mwm, and it makes
FvwmIconBox look totally second-rate, IMO.

Any suggestions as to how I can do any of the things I have listed
here??  Any suggestions at all will be appreciated.  Thanks!!

-Jay

---

From: Allen Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Dec 1996 09:45:11 -0700

> list, so I'm tring it again...

OK, I guess I'd better send my reply again. Forgot to CC it to you the first
time.

Well, FvwmIconMan does 2 and 3. It'll also tell you which window has the
focus. The focus feature is mainly useful in distinguishing all of my many
xterm's from each other. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 1. Do
you mean move the icons around, or what?

My homepage contains a screenshot of FvwmIconMan in action:

http://www.cs.arizona.edu/people/bradym/software/

Basically, you can configure FvwmIconMan to create multiple managers, each
managing some set of windows (determined by regular expression matching), and
each having some resolution (like only show the windows which are on the
current page, current desk, or show all windows), and a bunch o' other stuff,
most of it which came about when somebody new started using it and sent me a
big old piece of mail suggesting improvements.

Also, I believe thet the FvwmTaskBar module now has the ability to only list
windows on the current page. It looks like the windows 95 taskbar. It was
written for fvwm95, but I've been told it works with fvwm. It's certainly a
personal decision about whether to use something that looks like microsoft
wrote it, but I'll admit that it looks rather sharp, even if it does take up
more screen real estate than necessary. Something to talk about with your
doctor. 

-- 
 Brady Montz
 [email-masked]