Subject: FVWM: Is this an fvwm bug?

From: Allen Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Dec 1996 19:52:43 -0700

Suppose a program creates a window and doesn't specify X, Y coords. This
window then gets placed by fvwm according to whatever scheme is
appropriate. Lets say, SmartPlacement. Then this window later gets unmapped
with XUnmapWindow(), and then get remapped with XMapWindow(). At this point,
should it be subject to being placed again? I would say no, yet fvwm replaces
the window. If I use SmartPlacement, then the window pops up in some
semirandom place, and if I use ActivePlacement, then I have to manually
replace it. Really though, it shouldn't matter whether the app is iconified by
fvwm or iconifies itself (when I uniconify a window which fvwm iconified, it
goes back to its original location).

This is somewhat embarassing, since the app is FvwmIconMan, and this happens
if you omit a geometry line in the .fvwm2rc (something I never do, so I never
noticed this behavior). I never noticed this until Andrew Veliath commented on
how much he liked how FvwmIconMan kept moving itself around so that it was
unobstructed. 

-- 
 Brady Montz
 [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].