Subject: FVWM: Subject lines

From: Jamie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 20:06:11 -0500 (EST)

I am sending this to the two lists thatt seem to have been doing this the
most lately for me:

When adressing mail both to somone, and to the list, please, please put
the list in the 'to:' line, as some people using filter programs to sort
thier mail are having thier inboxes flooded by messages that one person
sends to somone, CCs the list on, and other people reply to. I've had
about 75 message the past two weeks from these two lists like this.

Jamie
 
-- 
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
|The shadows of life cover the sunlight of the soul, and block out the| 
|radiance that all have within them, leaving only darkness behind.    |
+-----------------------------+---------------------+-----------------+
[email-masked] | [email-masked] | [email-masked] |
+-----------------------------+---------------------+-----------------+

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Dec 1996 00:26:40 -0600

>>>>> "J" == Jamie  <[email-masked]> writes:

J> When adressing mail both to somone, and to the list, please, please put
J> the list in the 'to:' line, as some people using filter programs to sort
J> thier mail are having thier inboxes flooded by messages that one person
J> sends to somone, CCs the list on, and other people reply to.

Umm, not that this belongs on this list or anything, but:

Please don't ask other people to make up for the deficiencies in your
software.  The method of CC'ing the list and mailing to the originator of
the message is age old and isn't going to be changed simply because someone
uses filtering software that can't check the CC header (or better, envelope
sender).
-- 
      Jason L. Tibbitts III - [email-masked] - 713/743-8684 - 221SR1
System Manager:  University of Houston High Performance Computing Center
                1994 PC800 "Kuroneko"      DoD# 1723
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jamie Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 11:20:57 -0500 (EST)

> uses filtering software that can't check the CC header (or better, envelope

Perhaps procmail would be a better mail parser?   

jamie (not [email-masked], another one)

---

From: Markus Gutschke <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Dec 1996 08:24:46 +0100

> about 75 message the past two weeks from these two lists like this.

I use these rulesets for procmail and so far it seems to properly
detect all messages that get send to this list:

:0:/usr/local/lib/xemacs/lock/!home!gutschk!Mail!spool!fvwm.spool
* (^TOfvwm|^Sender: [email-masked])
fvwm.spool

-- 
Markus Gutschke            Internet: [email-masked]
Schlage 5a
D-48268 Greven-Gimbte
Germany