Subject: Re: FVWM: New idea, ReplaceOnDeiconify

From: Anthony Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 22:46:09 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Trent Piepho wrote:

> I've been using Tony's CleverPlacement, and it's really great.  So good in
> fact, I'd my windows to use it more.  I'd like windows to be "replaced"
> when they are deinconified.  As it is now, they appear where they were
> before.  Lots of times there is a window there, and CleverPlacement could
> find a much better spot to stick it.  This would also lead to another 
> function, Tile.  This would just replace all the windows, turning an ugly
> heap of windows into a nice tiled arrangement.

Would you stop doing this?  You've already gotten me in enough trouble
with this CleverPlacement stuff :-)  If you're not careful, I might end up
implementing the damn thing :-)  Actually I thought about this too
(believe it or not), not with regards do deiconification since I rarely
iconify stuff, but I was thinking it would be a handy title-bar button
(Replace).  And as you say, it would also be handy when windows are
deiconified.  This shouldn't be too hard to implement. 

As for the tile function, I considered that but there are a few more
complications with this one.  First, you likely wouldn't want all of your
windows to be replaced, so an additional attribute would probably be
required for things like FvwmButtons (NOREPLACE).  Second, how would you
go about replacing the windows?  For optimum placement, you would probably
want to do something like place the largest windows first and the smallest
last.  But this might drive you nuts trying to find where all of your
windows were placed.  Another possibility would be to replace the windows
trying to stay as close to the original placement as possible.  This would
be much more difficult.  This type of function would probably be more
suitable as a module.

Tony.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: lar3ry gensch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 1996 10:35:34 -0500

Trent Piepho wrote:
> 
> This would also lead to another

It's my opinion that such a "tile" operation would be best provided by
an external module (FvwmTile?) rather than put into the fvwm main code. 
The main code's big enough as is without tacking on yet another "special
function" into it.  Please don't take this as a disagreement from me on
the utility of such a function.

However, you might want to consider what would happen if some windows'
sizes get too small to be useful when they are tiled.  For instance, I
see very little utility in having an xterm or editor window resized to
20 columns.  That is the one reason that I personally only rarely use
the "tile" feature on Windoze or Macintosh systems.

-- 
------------------ http://www.tiac.net/users/lar3ry/ -------------------
(void) lar3ry();                                      [email-masked]

  ObPlug:  Anybody interested in a tcl/tk version of Windoze Explorer?

---

From: Trent Piepho <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 08:18:57 -0800 (PST)

> an external module (FvwmTile?) rather than put into the fvwm main code. 

Yes, I think I module would be much better idea.  As has been pointed out,
finding a good tiled arrangement is not simply a matter of placing replacing
all the windows.  I can see may places for configuration, like what part
of the screen to fill first, that would make a function overly complex and
bloated.

> sizes get too small to be useful when they are tiled.  For instance, I

I was thinking that the windows' sizes would remain unchanged.

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun.   |
|Trent Piepho ([email-masked])                   -- Metallica  |
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].