Subject: FVWM: FvwmCascade and FvwmTile betas Released

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 05:32:59 -0500

I've just put new versions of both of my new modules, FvwmCascade and
FvwmTile on my modules page. Of course, the new member is FvwmTile
which lets you tile windows in all sorts of ways.  FvwmCascade also
has a new option to force windows to resize to a certain height.  Both
of these modules are sort of complementary.

Both modules are available in a gzipped tar file off of the following
page:

http://www.rpi.edu/~veliaa/projects/fvwm_patches/fvwm_modules.html

Regards,
Andrew

--
Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>        http://www.rpi.edu/~veliaa
One day, all forms of communication will be superseded by a FAQ.
Finger for PGP Public Key
Key fingerprint =  51 56 5D 3E 51 43 8B 74  7C B2 E4 B6 84 8E 8B 08
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: lar3ry gensch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 09:19:13 -0500

> of these modules are sort of complementary.

These modules are pretty nice, and they work nicely with fvwm95-2.0.42a
as well as fvwm2.0.43 (just to let you know).

One comment that I can see coming up is that maybe have some support for
a tile or cascade 'region' -- for instance, many fvwm95 users have a
task bar on the screen that can get obscured by these modules.  In
addition, there are lots of people with button bars, pagers, and whatnot
that they don't want obscured.

I was thinking that a simple solution would be to add some new
parameters:

*FvwmCascadeRegion	0 20  1280 1004
*FvwmTileRegion		0 20  1280 1004

This would limit the region in which the windows are placed to the
rectangle defined by the corners (0,20) and (1280,1004), leaving the 20
pixels from the top and 20 pixels from the bottom clear of any added
windows (assuming a 1280x1024 screen size).

The other possible solution (which I think would be more difficult) is
to determine where StaysOnTop windows appear on the screen and avoid
those areas, sort of the way the CleverPlacement code works.

-- 
(void) lar3ry();                                      [email-masked]

  "I'm sorry you saw me, Billy.  Now I'll have to kill you." -- Santa

---

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 10:04:48 -0500

lar3ry> One comment that I can see coming up is that maybe have
    lar3ry> some support for a tile or cascade 'region' -- for
    lar3ry> instance, many fvwm95 users have a task bar on the screen
    lar3ry> that can get obscured by these modules.  In addition,
    lar3ry> there are lots of people with button bars, pagers, and
    lar3ry> whatnot that they don't want obscured.

Are you sure this is not handled with the command line parameters for
each module?  I think it already does this.

    lar3ry> This would limit the region in which the windows are
    lar3ry> placed to the rectangle defined by the corners (0,20) and
    lar3ry> (1280,1004), leaving the 20 pixels from the top and 20
    lar3ry> pixels from the bottom clear of any added windows
    lar3ry> (assuming a 1280x1024 screen size).

FvwmTile 0p 20p 1280p 1004p
FvwmCascade 0p 20p 1280p 1004p

I think these will do what you want.  You read the man page?  I'm
just curious since I thought it was stated fairly clear there, unless
this is something completely different.

btw, I just put 0.8a on there which omits Sticky windows unless they
are activated by a flag...

Regards,
Andrew

---

From: Nick Cross <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 15:38:23 +0000

> windows (assuming a 1280x1024 screen size).

But, I believe this is already implemented. The way I have it is
+ "&Tile"                     Module FvwmTile -u -mn 2 -m 0 0 97 97
in one of my menus which tiles the windows from 0,0 to 97,97 percent of
screen size - quoting from the manual - 
Up to four numbers can be placed on the command line that are not
switches.  The first pair specify an x and y offset to start the first
window (default is 0, 0).  The second pair specify an absolute
coordinate reference denoting the lower right bounding box for tiling. 
If any number is suffixed with the letter p, then it is taken to be a
pixel value, otherwise it is interpreted as a screen percentage.

> those areas, sort of the way the CleverPlacement code works.

Testing it out it already ignores sticky windows which are stays on top.
What I would really like however is to be able to specify tile the
windows in a maxtrix format but with a *minimum* size....any chance?

Nick

---

From: George Avrunin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 11:20:48 -0500 (EST)

How about a flag to allow cascading offsets to be specified on the
command line?  I'd like the cascaded windows to be shifted
horizontally by more than the border width.

George Avrunin                         413-545-4251 (voice)
Dept. of Mathematics, Box 34515        413-545-1801 (fax)
University of Massachusetts            [email-masked]
Amherst, MA  01003-4515                http://www.math.umass.edu/~avrunin/
USA
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 11:48:34 -0500 (EST)

> horizontally by more than the border width.

For the next version, I'll add an offset arg for each direction.
This could be combined with the -flat* options to get rid of
the border increment entirely (since border widths vary).

Andrew