Subject: FVWM: FVWM2 for Sun SPARC

From: Juan Jose Casero <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 20:05:31 -0500

Hi -

I recently downloaded and compiled FVWM2 for Linux without any problems.
However, I haven't been able to install it under Solaris 2.5.  After
changing Fvwm.tmpl to reflect my environment I got it to compile but it
was giving a warning about "language F not recognized".  I ignored these
warnings since the program seemed to compile anyway.  However, when I
tried "make install" I got lots of "Error code 2" messages.  Does anyone
know what I should do to get it to install correctly?  Any help would be
much appreciated.

Thanks, 

--------------------------------
Juan Casero
email: [email-masked]
                        - Redeemed by LINUX
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ulrich Quill <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 08:08:12 +0100 (MET)

> know what I should do to get it to install correctly?  Any help would be

The problem you describe seems to be the same that I very often have when 
trying to install packages on our Solaris 2.5 machines.
In my case the problem is the call of the 'install' program in the 
Makefile.
Most often (and, indeed, also in the fvwm Makefiles), install is called 
in the following way (I only show the important options):

install -c demo /usr/local/bin/demo

installing program 'demo' from the current directory to the file 
/usr/local/bin/demo.
Unfortunately, our install program (which is a shell script for Sys V) 
doesn't recognize this version.
You have to say:

install -c /usr/local/bin demo

So a possible solution for the problem is to go through all the Makefiles 
and change each 'install' call accordingly.

Hope that helps,

	Ulrich

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dipl.Phys. Ulrich Quill                         Dept. of Neurophysiology
Tel: +49-(0)234-700-6955                        Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum
Email:[email-masked]          44780 Bochum / Germany
  WWW: http://www.neurop2.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/personal/quill/Welcome.html

---

From: "Bill Randle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 08:10:12 -0800

On Nov 25,  8:08am, Ulrich Quill wrote:
} Subject: Re: FVWM: FVWM2 for Sun SPARC
}
} On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Juan Jose Casero wrote:
} > I recently downloaded and compiled FVWM2 for Linux without any problems.
} > However, I haven't been able to install it under Solaris 2.5.  After
} > changing Fvwm.tmpl to reflect my environment I got it to compile but it
} > was giving a warning about "language F not recognized".  I ignored these
} > warnings since the program seemed to compile anyway.  However, when I
} > tried "make install" I got lots of "Error code 2" messages.  Does anyone
} > know what I should do to get it to install correctly?  Any help would be
} > much appreciated.
} >
}
} The problem you describe seems to be the same that I very often have when
} trying to install packages on our Solaris 2.5 machines.
} In my case the problem is the call of the 'install' program in the
} Makefile.
} Most often (and, indeed, also in the fvwm Makefiles), install is called
} in the following way (I only show the important options):
}
} install -c demo /usr/local/bin/demo
}
} installing program 'demo' from the current directory to the file
} /usr/local/bin/demo.
} Unfortunately, our install program (which is a shell script for Sys V)
} doesn't recognize this version.
} You have to say:
}
} install -c /usr/local/bin demo
}
} So a possible solution for the problem is to go through all the Makefiles
} and change each 'install' call accordingly.
}
} Hope that helps,
}
} 	Ulrich

Another solution is to a) put "/usr/ucb" in your path before "/usr/sbin",
or edit the Makefile(s) to explicity use /usr/ucb/install [assuming you
have the /usr/ucb stuff installed]. Also, some gnu software installs the
GNU install program. That one is also compatible with the existing
makefiles.

	-Bill