Subject: FVWM: problems with FvwmAuto

From: Trent Piepho <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 08:44:39 -0800 (PST)

I've been annoyed with windows autoraising over their pop-ups for
some time now, and I finally looked at the FvwmAuto module.  It was really
screwed up, I must say.  So I mostly rewrote it, my much cleaner version is
at ftp://s5-171-9.student.washington.edu/pub/fvwm/FvwmAuto.c

	There doesn't seem to be anyway to find out if a window is unobscured. 
What FvwmAuto was doing was listen to all raise events, and assuming that the
last raised window was the one and only unobscured window.  This didn't work
because after a window gets raised, a whole bunch of other windows get raised
as well.  Some of them are StaysOnTop windows, and some I can't find.  Maybe
they are window borders?  Anyway, what FvwmAuto was doing to keep track of 
unobscured window didn't work at all, so I took it out.

	Is their anyway to find out if a window is obscured?  Say have
FvwmAuto sent a copy of any VisibilityPartiallyObscured events that come
along?  Seems like maybe fvwm should keep track though.  It is raising
StaysOnTop windows eveytime a window is raised, even if they aren't obscured.

	Of course this still doesn't solve the real problem, raising a window
raises it above its popups as well.  This isn't a problem with FvwmAuto, but
with Fvwm.

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun.   |
|Trent Piepho ([email-masked])                   -- Metallica  |
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].