Subject: FVWM: [q] ActivePlacement/RandomPlacement

From: "Mr S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 22:50:44 -0800 (PST)

hey everyone... question here... :)

i'm running the newest beta version of fvwm2 i think... (2.0.42b) and had
a question:

the windows place themselves, but i want to be able to place them with the
pointer... what modification to the system.fvwm2rc file do i need to make?

i played around the the ActivePlacement command, and commented out the
RandomPlacement and SmartPlacement commands, but still doesnt let me do
it... 

admittedly, i'm a relative newbie in the fvwm configuration world (i was
running other people's rc files until now) so any help would be greatly
appreciated... :)

thanx...

Later,           ,----_   _.--,
 Scott.         /      ---   * :             ,,,
               |    .-.  .-. --------------,----,
               |    | |  | | ______________'____'
               |    `-'  `-'=_               '''
                \     _---___-'      ---Guitar Freaks' Home Page---
  	         '---'               http://www.scs.unr.edu/~scottf
(obligatory .sig.. :)  )             Lessons, Tabs, Links, & Tuner!

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Nov 1996 12:08:19 +0100

>>>>> S  writes:

  S> the windows place themselves, but i want to be able to place them
  S> with the pointer... what modification to the system.fvwm2rc file
  S> do i need to make?

Style "*"           ActivePlacement, DumbPlacement

This is what I use, and it works.

kai
-- 
I wonder why nobody don't like me,
or is it de fact dat I'm ugly? -- Harry Belafonte
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Trent Piepho <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 03:16:24 -0800 (PST)

> Style "*"           ActivePlacement, DumbPlacement

You might also try

Style "*" NoPPosition

Some programs (like netscape) request a certain position on the screen.
This instructs FVWM to ignore that and let you place them.

Speaking of PPosition, doesn't TWM have this kludge where you can tell it
to honor PPostion except when the program requests 0,0?  I found this did
the right thing 99.9% of the time.

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun.   |
|Trent Piepho ([email-masked])                   -- Metallica  |
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Jones)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 11:41:24 -0600 (CST)

> RandomPlacement and SmartPlacement commands, but still doesnt let me do

Coment out the `Style "*" NoPPosition' line and you'll be good to go.

And that is not the latest version.

==========================
Rick Jones
[email-masked]
==========================

---

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 12:51:08 -0500 (EST)

> This instructs FVWM to ignore that and let you place them.

I have that in my .fvwm2rc, and it seems to work for all windows _except_
the GIMP's main window. Somehow, the GIMP always sets it's main window at
about 30,30. Anyone know how to get fvwm to use smartplacement on this
window?

-- 
#!/usr/bin/perl -i\$q='$q',\$p='$p';eval\$q.\$\^I\n"#  #  [email-masked]
$q='print"$p$^I\n',$p='#!/usr/bin/perl -i';eval$q.$^I  #          Joey Hess
                      "He. He. He." - - Herman Toothrot

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Jones)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 12:05:28 -0600 (CST)

> about 30,30. Anyone know how to get fvwm to use smartplacement on this

Check to see if it has a geometry setting.  If it does delete it.

---

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 13:17:20 -0500 (EST)

> Check to see if it has a geometry setting.  If it does delete it.

Do you mean check to see if I'm running "gimp -geometry ..."? No, I'm
not.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 14:30:35 -0500

> about 30,30. Anyone know how to get fvwm to use smartplacement on this

Well, my copy of gimp places itself at 10,10.

I traced this to gimp/app/resource.h line 166:

  "Gimp.geometry: +10+10",

I'm not sure what  a PPosition field is,  but  I don't think  the gimp
uses it.

I believe I  achieved the desired  behavior by loading this  xresource
thru xrdb:

Gimp.geometry: 273x175

(273x175 was the  size the gimp was trying  to become, I left  out the
position.)

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 14:45:50 -0500 (EST)

> (273x175 was the  size the gimp was trying  to become, I left  out the

Thanks, that did it.

-- 
#!/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj #  RSA-3-lines-perl
$/=unpack('H*',$_);$_=`echo 16dio\U$k"SK$/SM$n\EsN0p[lN*1 #         Joey Hess
lK[d2%Sa2/d0$^Ixp"|dc`;s/\W//g;$_=pack('H*',/((..)*)$/)   # [email-masked]
                      "He. He. He." - - Herman Toothrot

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Jones)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 15:09:56 -0600 (CST)

> > (273x175 was the  size the gimp was trying  to become, I left  out the

I guess it was a geometry setting.  Eh?

---

From: "Mr S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 18:05:28 -0800 (PST)

> This is what I use, and it works.

this worked great... thanx... :)

thanx to everyone who sent suggestions too... :)

Later,           ,----_   _.--,
 Scott.         /      ---   * :             ,,,