Subject: FVWM: FvwmPager

From: Barry D Benowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 12:56 -0500 (EST)

I would like to set up FvwmPager to only display the active desktop,
not all the possible desktops. I would use another method of switching
between desktops (probably tied to a button).

Is This possible?

Barry
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Mende Pie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 10:34:09 -0800

> From: Barry D Benowitz <[email-masked]>
>

Start the pager up iconic ... It will become an "active" icon of the
current desktop.   When up de-iconify it you will be able to use all of the
desktops.   Add the line "*FvwmPagerStartIconic" to your .fvwm2rc.

                              /Bob...                   [email-masked]
                        http://reality.sgi.com/mende/          KF6EID

---

From: "Barry A. Warsaw" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 13:36:17 -0500

>>>>> "BDB" == Barry D Benowitz <[email-masked]> writes:

    BDB> I would like to set up FvwmPager to only display the active
    BDB> desktop, not all the possible desktops. I would use another
    BDB> method of switching between desktops (probably tied to a
    BDB> button).

Don't know if this will be of interest, but I recently took another
look at my Python module for writing Fvwm modules.  I've integrated it
with the Tk mainloop so you can now write GUI modules using Python's
Tkinter.py module.  It works pretty well.

My main motivation for attack this again was to implement something
akin to Ctwm's desktop manager window; essentially a radiobutton box
with one button for each desktop, with a symbolic name for the
desktop.  This turned out to be really easy to implement -- probably
about 20 lines of Python code -- but I figured no one would buy it if
it didn't re-implement the FvwmPager too. :-)  Anyway I started
working on that and added a couple of neat features.  I'm pretty close
to finishing it up, but it's not *quite* ready for prime time.  If I
get a chance I'll finish it up and post a message here this weekend.

The small desktop viewer (what I call the "Button View") might do what
you want.  In any case, Python/Tk makes for an excellent
infrastructure for writing Fvwm modules!  There are a couple of
problems with the Fvwm API; most can be worked around, but there is
one bad problem.  I'll describe that more when I post my next message,
later this weekend (hopefully).

-Barry

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Wild)
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 10:50:14 -0800

> between desktops (probably tied to a button).

Yes, run it, then Iconify it.

-Alan
-- 
Alan Wild <[email-masked]>           /T\ f/s/c lou95
IT-HSC Consultant       Speed School Student Council        Speed News Guy
http://www.spd.louisville.edu/~arwild01 or ==> ~triangle/ ~spdnews/ ~sssc/

---

From: lar3ry gensch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 13:40:59 -0500

> between desktops (probably tied to a button).

Add this to your .fvwm2rc file:

*FvwmPagerStartIconic

This tells the pager to start "iconified" which indicates that you only
want to see the current desktop.  (It's in the man page!)

For the second part of your question, you can add some buttons to
FvwmButtons as follows:

*FvwmButtons(Title "Desk 1". Icon mini-x.xpm, Action 'Desk 0 1')
*FvwmButtons(Title "Desk 2". Icon mini-x.xpm, Action 'Desk 0 2')
*FvwmButtons(Title "Desk 3". Icon mini-x.xpm, Action 'Desk 0 3')

(This tells FvwmButtons to create three buttons that switch to the
specified desktop -- you can use whatever Title or Icon you want.)

Interestingly, if you do this, FvwmButtons should make the button
representing the current desktop "pressed in" and the other ones
"pressed out" -- and it will change each time you switch desktops (using
FvwmButtons or not).

NOTE:  This last paragraph is based on memory; I believe the FvwmButtons
STILL exhibits this behavior, but I haven't used buttons to switch
desktops in quite a while.

\Does this suit your needs?

-- 
(void) lar3ry();                                      [email-masked]

  "I'm sorry you saw me, Billy.  Now I'll have to kill you." -- Santa

---

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 96 19:56:17 +0100

>>>>> Barry D Benowitz writes:

B> I would like to set up FvwmPager to only display the active desktop,
B> not all the possible desktops. I would use another method of switching
B> between desktops (probably tied to a button).

B> Is This possible?

my pager does this all the time:

*FvwmButtons(4x2, Swallow FvwmPager "FvwmPager 0 0")
########################### Pager #########################################
*FvwmPagerGeometry -1500-1500
# to be swallowed

*FvwmPagerBack #908090
*FvwmPagerFore #484048
*FvwmPagerHilight #cab3ca

*FvwmPagerFont none
# -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
*FvwmPagerSmallFont 5x8

#*FvwmPagerLabel 0 Emacs
#*FvwmPagerLabel 1 Misc
#*FvwmPagerLabel 2 Make
#*FvwmPagerLabel 3 Spare

i.e: no labels, no font.

I get a 4x2 set of pages representing the current desk.
If i accidently start an application on desk2 (I usually just use desk 1),
it's nearly unreachable (except from winlist)

hope this helps,
albrecht
-- 
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time, [...]
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all	-- Shakespeare: Hamlet
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].