Subject: Re: FVWM: xenoWindowMangerCompliancy

From: Scott Raney <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 17:52:12 -0700 (MST)

> 
> I just wanted to say that as for issues of autoraise on focus and
> enforcing modality...personally, I don't care about those features and
> would rather Chuck work on things like installing colormaps to screen
> lockers, the Style rewrite, and other bug fixes.

Like the fact that Motif applications sometimes open menus *under*
their menu bars?  This is just one of the mwm compatibility problems.

> I would also rather see a more specific way to specify app/class names
> in the Style command (maybe use regexp and specify whether you're talking
> about the class name, icon name, app name, etc.)
> 
> It seems to me that the fvwm user-base is not really hot-to-trot about
> certain standard features propagated by the major distributors of window
> managers.  We've made a choice to use fvwm instead of mwm or something
> else, after all.  It doesn't mean we don't want ANY of the features, but I
> think we're less concerned with applications being ported from those
> other environments to fvwm.

So you're suggesting that application vendors should port to fvwm,
rather than fvwm support industry standard APIs?  This attitude is why
the UNIX desktop market never took off: too many incompatible versions
of UNIX, and too little consideration given to how difficult it is to
support them.  Perhaps you're satisfied with a very limited choice of
applications, and the fact that many (most?) Motif applications don't
work correctly under fvwm, but I'll bet most other people aren't.

> Obviously, changing the default focus policy is _SO_ unimportant to us
> that we don't even want Chuck to spend the time necessary to change a few
> characters in a file.  Drop it, for christ's sake.

So now you're speaking for all fvwm users, and are "Chuck's" scheduler
too?  Pardon me, I was operating under the apparently mistaken
assumption that there are thousands or tens of thousands of people
using fvwm that might want to learn about these issues and make an
informed decsion, or have an informed decision made on their behalf.
  Regards,
    Scott

> Jeff
> --
> Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
> To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
> message to [email-masked].
> To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].
> 

-- 
***************************************************************
Scott Raney   [email-masked]   http://www.metacard.com
Tcl and ksh: syntactic gymnastics
MetaCard: it does what you think
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 21:03:32 -0500 (EST)

> their menu bars?  This is just one of the mwm compatibility problems.

This isn't just a problem with motif applications -- the same thing
happened to me today with xfontsel.

-- 
#!/usr/bin/perl -i\$q='$q',\$p='$p';eval\$q.\$\^I\n"#  #  [email-masked]
$q='print"$p$^I\n',$p='#!/usr/bin/perl -i';eval$q.$^I  #          Joey Hess
               "true - do nothing, successfully" - - true (1)