Subject: FVWM: Please help,

From: [email-masked] (Madhukar Sinha)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 96 10:20:52 IST

Hello everybody,
	Its quiet surprising to see my queries ignored. 

	I have queried about my problem two times so far but :-(

	i am repeating it.

	i am using a SUN 0S 4.1.3 Sparc station. i compiled the fvwm-2.0.42 after
	making som changes ( as i dont have Xpm )  it compiled fine.

		but on running it crashes with a message "undefined _NoResource"

	Can anyone solve my problem. 

	Also i would be glad if i can get a precompiled binary for SUNOS4.1.3.

Please dont disappoint me THIS TIME.

Thanx in advance
madhukar
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Wild)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 18:23:22 -0800

> Please dont disappoint me THIS TIME.

madhukar,

Maybe I'm out of line here, but it isn't necessarily our job to help
you, and phrasing "your requests" for help in the manner that you have,
only angers those who might be willing to help.  It wouldn't surprise me
one bit if you don't get *ANY* replies that are worthwhile.

First of all, I would like to say that fvwm2 is alpha/beta class code.
it doesn't always work.  Nobody guarantees that it does.  However, sir,
most likely someone has successfully used it on SUNOS4.1.3.

Secondly, you have an out-of-date version.  The latest release 2.0.43
with 2.0.44 coming "any day now".  Given your problem you might want to
try to upgrade to the latest version.  That alone may solve your
problem.

Finally, offer some more information.  Although I have never built fvwm2
on SUNOS, I have built it successfully on AIX, Linux, HP-UX, and OSF/1.
I have never seen an error like you mentioned and can't offer a clue as
to what the problem might be.  Possibly some sort of configuration
files?  Something more?  Maybe someone on this list will recognize your
problem, but I, for one, am at a loss.

In closing, please take the time to be polite and try to explain the
problem to the best of your ability.  Giving us an excessive amount of
information won't hurt and put a lack of it doesn't help.  Neither does
attitude.

-Alan

-- 
Alan Wild <[email-masked]>           /T\ f/s/c lou95
IT-HSC Consultant       Speed School Student Council        Speed News Guy
http://www.spd.louisville.edu/~arwild01 or ==> ~triangle/ ~spdnews/ ~sssc/
	    Intel Corporation * Chipset Validation Engineer

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 09:06:37 -0500

> Can anyone solve my problem. 

I did a couple of greps  thru the source  code for 2.0.42, and I don't
find any  uses  of  the  word "undefined".    Also I  don't   find any
occurrences of the string "_NoResource".

I do find a couple of uses  of the string  "NoResource" but not in the
context of printing a  message.  (It seems  to be used when  something
doesn't have an X resource name.)

Moving to 2.0.43 might be helpful.

I always compile with the xpm package, and I  suspect that most others
do this also, so I would recommend taking the time to do that.

You mention a crash,  if there is a core  file, a stack trace would be
helpful.

If none of  these work, I would attempt  to start fvwm2  under "trace"
and if that didn't help, I would start adding printfs to fvwm2.

> Please dont disappoint me THIS TIME.

I think that sometimes,  there is no answer posted  because no one has
an answer.  There is  no one on this list   that is designated  as the
last resort question answerer.  (I am not suggesting that there should
be.)

I would suggest that if you don't get an answer the first time, try to
get   more information and post  again.   Eventually given enough data
someone will become intrigued and jump in.

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].