Subject: FVWM: autoraise problem (w/ netscape etc..)

From: Prasad Suravarapu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 14:37:10 -0800 (PST)

Hi All:

I am having this wierd problem with autoraise.  I have autoraise set on all 
my windows. OK, here is the scenario - I have netscape running and I click on
one the buttons say "File" and a drop-down menu comes up, however as soon as
I move the mouse to select from one of the options in the menu, the pull-menu
goes under the Netscape window (Autoraising it, I guess).  This is the case 
with all appications with transient pull-downs. I am running fwvm-2.0.42a.

Please CC me on the reply. Thanks

Prasad

--
Prasad Suravarapu
Cisco Systems, Inc.
408-526-7997
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Trent Piepho <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 15:08:29 -0800 (PST)

> with all appications with transient pull-downs. I am running fwvm-2.0.42a.

Quite annoying, isn't it?  Anyway, this seems to be a little better in 2.0.43,
but it's still there.

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun.   |
|Trent Piepho ([email-masked])                   -- Metallica  |
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Prasad Suravarapu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 14:30:05 -0800 (PST)

> Quite annoying, isn't it?  Anyway, this seems to be a little better in 2.0.43,

  This is really annoying.  Is it just on SunOS/Solaris?  I would be really 
  surprised if it were the case on all OS's and not fixed for so long...

Praasd

---

From: Trent Piepho <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 14:58:36 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 4 Nov 1996, Prasad Suravarapu wrote:
>> Quite annoying, isn't it?  Anyway, this seems to be a little better in
>> 2.0.43, but it's still there.
> 

No, it happens to me on linux.  But I think I've found out more on how it
happens.

I can get it to happen every time if I do this.

1. Unfocus a window with popups, like netscape.
2. Give the window focus.
3. Make a popup window appear.

If you do 3 before the autoraise timeout from 2, then netscape will autoraise
over the popup.  If the netscape window has had the focus for 250 ms, or
whatever you have your autoraise time set to, then there is no problem.

If you are using clicktofocus, I imagine that this is really annoying, as
everytime you cause an unfocused application to pop up a window it will get
obscured.

I haven't checked the FvwmAuto code, but I'm guessing it's something like this:

1. Get notified of a focus change
2. Set a timer
3. When the timer expires, raise the window.

Here is a few ideas on how to fix it.

1. Don't set the timer in step 2 unless the window isn't on top.  Is seeing if
a window is on top "easy"?  I would think is is.  This won't help the
problem directly, but is a good idea I think.

2. An application should never be raised above its popup windows.  I notice
I an open URL dialog from netscape is always placed on top of the netscape
window, even if I lower netscape.  Can't this be done for popup windows too?