Subject: Re: FVWM: autoraise problem (w/ netscape etc..)

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 22:53:05 -0500 (EST)

On Mon. 4 Nov., 1996, Trent Piepho wrote:
>   If you are using clicktofocus, I imagine that this is really annoying, as
>   everytime you cause an unfocused application to pop up a window it will get
>   obscured.

	Not really. AutoRaise seems to be strictly a FocusFollowsMouse
nicety, which allows you to minimize the redraw thrashing you would get if
every window you passed over while traversing the screen got needlessly raised
as soon as focus entered the window. It has no use in clicktofocus mode, where
your mouse click unambiguously says "Hey, I really want to be here, I'm not
just passing through." Since I use clicktofocus and no autoraise delay, I never
experience any of the problems discussed in this thread.

	I wonder if what is really wanted here is a FocusDelay interval in
place of AutoRaise, which might serve the same useful purpose as AutoRaise
without putting the hart before the course, as it were.

	Is that worth some thought? Or is there some further subtlety of the
usage of AutoRaise that I'm missing, as a non-user?

	- Bob

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].