Subject: FVWM: placement style

From: Marcel Mettes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 16:28:45 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

been checking out the TODO and FAG lists, but couldn't
find anything I like to have as placement styles:

Is it possible to have a Cascading Placement style to be added?
This would mean to place the next window along either
the topleft to bottom-right diagonal or along the top-right to
bottom-left diagonal, so actually causing a CascadingLeftPlacement
and a CascadingRightPlacementStyle (or other conventional names) to be added.

Perhaps also all other windows are moved up so that an equi-distant
distribution is maintained?

I'd like to hear what you think  of it. Is it hard to add such a placement
style myself?

Best regards,
Marcel.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Anthony Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 10:27:12 -0800 (PST)

> and a CascadingRightPlacementStyle (or other conventional names) to be added.

If you look at the RandomPlacement code in placement.c, it looks like this
is what it is trying to do, but I don't think it works as expected.

> I'd like to hear what you think  of it. Is it hard to add such a placement

It shouldn't be.  Just use the existing RandomPlacement code and make it
do what you suggest.  It might not be necesary to add an additional
placement style for this because it seems like this is acceptable behavior
for RandomPlacement.  But maybe some people like the current
RandomPlacement behavior? 

Tony.