Subject: FVWM: Fvwm configuration questions: ClickToRaise & WindowName style

From: Elad Eyal <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 04:09:06 +0200 (IST)

Good morning,

	Please reply this to [email-masked]. I'm not on the list
account of being overmailed as it is, but I read the whole list archieve
today searching for these answers.

	Only recently I decided I needed a Window Manager, so I
more-or-less dumped MWM in favour of fvwm2-95. It took me a while to
compile it (Currently on Iris, Aix and Sun. Next in the list are Solaris
and Linux, maybe.

	The first issue is really annoying: Under MWM (which came
preconfigured from the gods, more or less), the focus went wherever the
mouse was, and a mouse click on a mouse caused it to raise. I tried to
achieve a similiar affect using "Mouse 1 W A Raise" and it worked, only
that the mouse click never arrived to the application in the window. Not
good, not good. Anyone can help me with this, please?

	The second is more than a luxury. 80% of my windows are xterms
opened to different hosts. There's a script I use which open xterms with
different window colors & titles to every host, but what I want now is to
configure fvwm Styles to different hosts - (the mini-icon comes to mind).
The man says that Style parameter can accept "Window name", but trial &
error shows me that it does not mean "Window Title"... Right? Am I missing
something here? If I don't, can I give different styles to different
window titles?

 _
(_  /  _    /          ( E-mail pigeons nest in binary trees )
(__/__(/\_(/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Markus Gutschke <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Nov 1996 10:19:20 +0100

> today searching for these answers.

This list has very moderate traffic, so subscribing to it would
probably not increase the volume of your incoming mail by a
lot. Besides, if you really have problems with too much mail, I would
strongly suggest that you take a look at "procmail". Properly
installed, it will filter all of your incoming mail into different
spool files. I have installed it in a way, that sorts all mailinglists
into files that are read by my newsreader (XEmacs/Gnus). Thus I hardly
notice a difference betweeen mailing lists and news.

> good, not good. Anyone can help me with this, please?

Your description of the desired behavior is a little bit ambiguous, so
I am not quite sure that I understand you. Anyways, have you played
around with 

Style "*"            SloppyFocus
Style "*"            ClickToFocus
Style "*"            MouseFocus

You should also investigate, whether you want to (de)install FvwmAuto.

If you use ClickToFocus and do not like the way the way FVWM (does
not) suppress(es) the first mouse click being passed to the
application, then I believe newer releases of FVWM have an option that
controls this behavior. As I still use FVWM 2.0.42, I cannot tell you
which option this is.

> opened to different hosts.

Might I suggest, that you install a little script that is sourced by
your login shells? This enables your xterm to display the host, userid
and current directory in the title bar of the window; these entries
will automatically be updated whenever they change:

if [ "$TERM" = "xterm" ]; then
  xterm_title() { echo -n '^[]2;'$USER@${HOSTNAME%%.*}"  -  "$PWD'^G^[]1;'$USER@${HOSTNAME%%.*}'^G' }
  PROMPT_COMMAND=xterm_title
fi

(you need to replay ^[ with the escape character, and ^G with
control-G) This script assumes that you use "bash"; you will have to
modify it, if you use a different shell.

> There's a script I use which open xterms with different window
> colors & titles to every host, but what I want now is to configure
> fvwm Styles to different hosts - (the mini-icon comes to mind).  The
> man says that Style parameter can accept "Window name", but trial &
> error shows me that it does not mean "Window Title"... Right? Am I
> missing something here? If I don't, can I give different styles to
> different window titles?

Use the "Identify" command to figure out the names of your
windows. You can tell "xterm" to use a different name by passing the
"-name" command line parameter. The drawback is, that this also
effects resources, so it will no longer find its default
resources. You might get by, by either establishing symbolic links in
your app-defaults directory or by passing all resources on the command
line (using the "-xrm" option). Anyways, I assume there are better
ways of doing what you want. Only I do not really understand what this
is :-) Could you post a more detailed description of your
problem. What I do for distinguishing between different hosts, is to
modify the background color. This can easily be achieved by passing
the proper "-xrm" option when lauching the "xterm".

Markus

-- 
Markus Gutschke            Internet: [email-masked]
Schlage 5a
D-48268 Greven-Gimbte
Germany