Subject: FVWM: FvwmIconBox

From: Michael Tiefenback <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 15:56:20 -0500 (EST)

Just to add to the general noise level (and perhaps induce some
knowlegeable one to look into the code to reconcile the conflicting
reports?)...  It disturbs me to see information going out that runs
counter to what I observe, if for no other reason than that fvwm should do
the same thing on different platforms, and real discrepancies should be
tracked down and corrected.  I get the man-advertised behavior for
FvwmIconBox (manpage dated Jun 24 1994, FvwmIconBox(0.64)): 

Indeterminate icon style, or "Style Icon" gives me *no* FvwmIconBox entry 
for a window.

Specifically calling out the NoIcon style results in an FvwmIconBox entry 
for a window.

Defining "-" as the xpm name for xterm (put into the .fvwm2rc file, of
course, so FvwmIconBox would pick it up on instantiation) resulted in no
icon display for xterms in the FvwmIconBox, regardless of "Style Icon" or
"Style NoIcon". 

I temporarily deleted all of my global Style options to avoid as far as I
could any inadvertent FvwmIconBox Style dependencies.  With no deliberate
icon'ish Style options, I invoked xterm and xload windows and got no entry
in my newly created FvwmIconBox.  Using FvwmTalk, I added "Style XLoad
NoIcon", and then new xload windows were reflected in FvwmIconBox entries. 
Similarly for XTerm.  "Style XLoad Icon" or "Style XTerm Icon" caused new
instances to be ignored by FvwmIconBox.  Why others have different
behavior is an interesting mystery. 

I am not using any clever tricks with FvwmM4 or FvwmCpp. 

Michael Tiefenback

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 17:01:29 -0500

> I am not using any clever tricks with FvwmM4 or FvwmCpp. 

Well, its a  little confusing, but I  believe its all explained in the
man pages.  The  orignal answer to this  question was sort of correct,
but I don't think it directly addressed the users particular problem.

In a large nutshell:

You can name the icons FvwmIconBox will use 2 ways:

Style "xterm" icon xterm.xpm
*FvwmIconBox "xterm" xterm.xpm

When  you use the first way, to get icons into the "FvwmIconBox"
instead of the "Style "*" IconBox -150 250 -1 -1" type iconbox,
you need to do something like:

Style "*" NoIcon

In fact, I don't normally use the FvwmIconBox, but to fool around with
it, I like:

AddToFunc ConfigIconBox "I" module FvwmIconBox
+                       "I" Style     "*"  NoIcon
+                       "I" Recapture

You can  do individual 'Style "x"  NoIcon's, but think the person with
the problem originally went the other way.   Once you force everything
into the  FvwmIconBox, you want to  use FvwmIconBox's special notation
for "don't put this particular thing into the box", the dash "-".

This is in the man page:

*FvwmIconBox windowname bitmap-file
 ...
 If  bitmap-file  is  specified to   be "-", the    icon  for a
 window corresponding to windowname is not shown in the iconbox.

> Michael Tiefenback

Hope this clears up any confusion.

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].