Subject: FVWM: Reparent-bug in fvwm2

From: Michael Schumacher <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 09:48:35 +0100 (MET)

Hello,

I think I've found a bug in all recent fvwm2 versions (this includes fvwm95
and Bowman up to 2.0.42, too). When a toplevel window gets resparented by
another widget, fvwm2 doesn't remove the decorations of the reparented
toplevel. fvwm1, mwm and tvwm behave correctly in this case.

I've remarked this error when I've started tgdb 2.6 (the new version of
our graphical gdb interface) under fvwm95. tgdb has a "debugee window"
which provides I/O for the program to debug. This window is a Xterm
that is reparented by a Tk frame widget and packed into another toplevel.
Unfortunately, the Xterm decorations won't disappear and fill the whole
background of the current screen. You can reproduce this even with the
old tgdb version 1.4 (you can find it on sunsite.unc.edu in the
/pub/Linux/devel/debuggers directory).

Does anyone know about this bug? Is there possibly a workaround? We'd like
to release tgdb 2.6 very soon, but only if we can be sure that it also
works on fvwm2 and other WMs based on this version. Please let me know
what develops (I'm not subscribed to the mailing list, so I'd apprectiate
sending me email).

Thanks very much,
mike

-- 
Michael Schumacher
HighTec EDV-Systeme
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Richard A. Guay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 09:08:03 -0500

> Well, it will affect all applications based on TkSteal (and generally
every
> application which tries to reparentize other windows in a similar way
> as TkSteal), but it seems this extension is rarely used in Tcl-land, and
> folks who use it probably still use fvwm1, mwm or any other window
manager
> which doesn't show this bug.

I would beg to differ with your opinion.  Anyone who uses TkDesk or
tkgoodstuff also
uses TkSteal.  These are fairly popular programs used with fvwm 2.43.  I
use it all of 
the time (but only with tcl 7.5/tk 4.1 since the version of TkSteal that I
have will not
compile with the new tcl/tk release).  I have never had any problems with
TkSteal, but
I have never tried to swallow an xterm before.

Richard A. Guay
Network Administrator and ASIC Design Engineer
ASIC International Inc.
[email-masked]
http://www.asicint.com