Subject: FVWM: [q again] Library question (sorry)

From: "Mr S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 22:26:56 -0800 (PST)

i know that this wouldnt be the right place to ask this question, but
everyone  has been REALLY helpful so far... so if i'm out of line asking
this, then just tell me... and i'll post to the newsgroups...

my question:

vxp (the visual X developing environment) requires libXm.so.2   .. but i
dont have that library on my system... :( ....

is there a central place to grab a couple libraries? or is there a package
i forgot to install? ...

thanx.. :)

Later,           ,----_   _.--,
 Scott.         /      ---   * :             ,,,
               |    .-.  .-. --------------,----,
               |    | |  | | ______________'____'
               |    `-'  `-'=_               '''
                \     _---___-'      ---Guitar Freaks' Home Page---
  	         '---'               http://www.scs.unr.edu/~scottf
(obligatory .sig.. :)  )             Lessons, Tabs, Links, & Tuner!

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Markus Gutschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 09:35:25 +0100

Hi Scott,

> is there a central place to grab a couple libraries? or is there a package

I take it, that you have a Linux system. If that is not the case, then
most of the following information will probably not apply to you. As
FVWM is cross-platform software, it is hard to guess what platform you
refer to, if you do not specify it:

sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux (and mirror sites) usually carries most
libraries, but in this case, that won't help you much.

libXm.so.2 is the Motif library. Motif is a commercial widget set,
that has to be licensed from the OSF (open software foundation). Some
people are currently working on a free clone (lesstiff), but so far it
is not ready for general use; besides, it only implements the old 1.2
release, but many newer applications require 2.0.

So, there are a couple of alternatives:

 - you ask somebody, who has a copy of these libraries, to build a
   statically linked version of this program. You can then use the
   binary without having to get a copy of libXm. The drawback is, that
   the binary will be rather big (probably between 1MB and 2MB).

 - you buy a run-time license of libXm. This gives you just the
   library, but it does not give you all of the header files. So it
   still requires somebody else to build the program, but this time,
   it can be linked dynamically. Run-time licenses are considerably
   less expensive than full development licenses, but their use is
   limited.

 - I would recommend, that you get a full development license. This
   allows you to build your own programs and you do not require
   somebody else's help whenever you get new source code or want to
   change the program. I have a copy of Infomagic's Moo-Tiff and I am
   quite satisfied with it. It costs $99 which is a good price,
   although somebody reported that he got his libraries (from a
   different vendor) even less expensive. For more information, have a
   look at http://www.infomagic.com or read old news articles with
   http://www.dejanews.com; this thread shows up every so often.

Markus

---

From: Jerome GOUT <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 09:39:43 +0100 (MET)

> dont have that library on my system... :( ....

It seems to need the Motif library .... And I think that library is a
commercial one now.

 > is there a central place to grab a couple libraries? or is there a package

You can go to the OSF/Motif site :

http://www.cen.com/mw3/

There is a list of vendors ...

Jerome

-- 
  ._____. ._________________________________________________.
  | ._. | | ._____________________________________________. |
  | |_| |_|_|___.                                  _____  | |
  |___| |_____. |         Jerome Gout             | ._. | | |
  .___|_|_| |_| |   L.A.A.S - Robotique & IA  .___| |_|_|_| |
  | ._____| |___|    31077 Toulouse Cedex     | ._| |_______|
  | | | |_| |        E-mail : [email-masked]    | |_|_|_| |___.
  | | |_____|      http://www.laas.fr/~gout   |_______| |_. |
  | |_____________________________________________| | | |_| |
  |_________________________________________________| |_____|