Subject: FVWM: A Buglet?

From: Romano Giannetti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 09:29:23 +0100 (MET)

Hi all! 
 
   Apart the other nasty little bug (dotted cursor hanging around 
sometime) I have found a little problem with focus/raise (I don't 
know if autoraise related). To be fast and effective: i start a 
terminal via "InitFunction", and this and _only_ this window show 
marked attitude to stay in the foreground: if I open and position 
a window partially overlapped with it, the new window got IMMEDIATLY 
lowered and the first one got focus. This happens only with this 
first window. 

   Data: fvwm 2.0.43 on a Linux RedHat 3.0.3 (kernel 2.0.25 libc 5.2 
Xfree 3.1).

   The starting sequence is:

AddToFunc "InitFunction" "I" Module FvwmAuto 1500
+                        "I" Exec BDROP_COMMAND BDROP &
+                        "I" Exec rxvt -geometry +100+100 &
+                        "I" Exec MYBIN/myxwatch &
+                        "I" Module FvwmButtons      

Any hints? Is the message understandable at all :-)? 
Bye, happy fvwming,

                     Romano

------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Romano Giannetti     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione 
Researcher               Elettronica Informatica Telecomunicazioni
[email-masked]      University of Pisa
------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Hector Peraza <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 15:48:18 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

There is a new mailing list for fvwm95-related questions and discussions.
The address is:

  [email-masked]

To subscribe or unsubscribe a message with the word "subscribe" or
"unsubscribe" in the message body should be sent to:

  [email-masked]

The messages will be archived and could be requested from:

  [email-masked]

A weekly (or when 40kByte of size is reached) digest is also available: 

  [email-masked]

Cheers,
Hector.

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 17:42:54 -0500

>>>>> "RG" == Romano Giannetti <[email-masked]> writes:

RG> Hi all!

Hi Romano.

I tried replying to this earlier, before I realized my outgoing mail
was broken, so let's try this again.

RG>    Apart the other nasty little bug (dotted cursor hanging around
RG> sometime) I have found a little problem with focus/raise (I don't
RG> know if autoraise related). To be fast and effective: i start a
RG> terminal via "InitFunction", and this and _only_ this window show
RG> marked attitude to stay in the foreground: if I open and position
RG> a window partially overlapped with it, the new window got IMMEDIATLY
RG> lowered and the first one got focus. This happens only with this
RG> first window.
....
RG> Any hints? Is the message understandable at all :-)?

If I do understand you correctly, it sounds an awful lot like a bug
that I have noticed but haven't got around to fixing yet.  My version:
I have a small .xinitrc that starts an xterm and xsession, and
xsession starts up my development version of fvwm2.  The xterm is
given the focus, but if I pop up a menu before doing anything else,
the focus shifts to the xsession window when the menu dissappears
(first time only).  Clicking in the xterm (I use click to focus)
before bringing up the menu stops this.

And if I restart, no window has the focus initially, but bringing up
(then down) a menu causes the xsession window to get the focus.

I have a rough idea what the problem might be, and I'll look into it
for 2.0.44.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis Developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

         "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're just havin' a nightmare
             -- of course, we ARE still in Hell." (Gary Larson)
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].