Subject: FVWM: fvwm2 on Solaris 2.5?

From: [email-masked] (PETER R SCHMITT )
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 15:07:07 -0500 (EST)

I've installed X11R6.1, xpm3.4i and fvwm2.0.42 compiles fine but when
I try to run it I get the following response:

	ld.so.1: fvwm2: fatal: libXpm.so.4.9: can't open file: errno=2
	Killed

What have I missed?

-- 
Peter Schmitt                                {####}
Senior UNIX Systems Manager                   {###}
[email-masked]          \|/     ++   /
     _______________ |_______|__/-\__|-|_^_/-\__||_n ====
  n_/ Cold Regions  \_ |[][] |----------------|----| \   Ph: 603/646-4332
  |   Research and    || UNIX ________________|_|| |     Fx: 603/646-4658
  | Engineering Labs  | ------/ ==__---__ ====--||-      72 Lyme Road
 q|===================|_|=====__/ =======|=====[__]-p    Hanover, NH 03755
____( )( )______( )( )__________\  /_\  /_\ /_________________________________
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 15:26:24 -0500

> 	ld.so.1: fvwm2: fatal: libXpm.so.4.9: can't open file: errno=2

Probably fvwm2 is  looking in the  "standard" places for libXpm.so.4.9
and you didn't install it there.

You have a number of choices,

1) Install libXpm in the standard place.  For example, if you are using
Solaris, put it in /usr/openwin/lib.

2) When you link fvwm2, use the -R flag.  For example if libXpm is in
/u/xpm/lib, link fvwm2 with the flags -L/u/xpm/lib and -R/u/xpm/lib.

3) Start fvwm2 thru  a shell and in  the shell, set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
include the library that xpm is in:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/u/xpm/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
exec /u/fvwm/fvwm2

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Fleish <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 14:34:34 -0600 (CST)

Sounds to me like you do not have xpm installed (at least not correctly)
Look through your lib files and try to find libXpm.so.4.9 Also, I would
suggest compiling the newest version of fvwm (fvwm2.0.43).

BTW: does anyone have an estimate as to when 2.0.44 is scheduled to be
released??
Todd

<*>----------------------------<*>
 |				|
 |        Todd Fleisher		|
 |    [email-masked]	|
 | http://stu056.bsc.edu/fleish	|
 |				|
<*>----------------------------<*>

---

From: Walter Truitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 14:41:35 -0600

I have seen this before, or something like it.  Try rearranging your 
LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that it uses a different ld.so I think.  I don't
know so well the language, but I would be fairly certain that either
the libXpm.so is not in your library path or another library is 
read before the one that fvwm2 was built with

Walter

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 17:22:05 -0500

>>>>> "Fleish" == Fleish  <[email-masked]> writes:

Fleish> BTW: does anyone have an estimate as to when 2.0.44 is scheduled to be
Fleish> released??

Actually, I have attempted to send a couple of notes lately that have
touched on this, but my mail has been broke.  My incoming mail got
fixed the other day, but my outgoing was apparently still dead.  I
think it's fixed now... (fingers crossed).

Anyways, I've been ill for about a week and a half, which delayed
2.0.44 even more...  I have lots of stuff going in it, and it's taking
a fair amount of time to merge it all together.  I'm going to try and
get it out by the end of next week, but as always I make no
guarantees.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis Developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

         "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're just havin' a nightmare
             -- of course, we ARE still in Hell." (Gary Larson)
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].