Subject: FVWM: Swallowing doom icon?

From: [email-masked] (bpm)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 13:29:42 -0500

Hello,
	This one of those things that you can spend many cycles on and not
accomplish anything!  But I've been able to modify the doomarena.tcl
file (oh yea! Sparc 20, solaris 2.4, doomarena2.0, sorry) to come up
as an icon.  I don't know if it was the wrong way to do it, but down
inside doonarena.tcl I added the command: ``wm iconify .'' & it
worked.  But I want to have a button in the FvwmButtons that Swallows
the Doom Arena icon.  I have this:

*FvwmButtons( Swallow "Doom Arena" \
             `Exec /export/home/doom/doomarena/bin/doomarena_iconic & `)

But I get an Icon on the desktop.  When I click on the icon, it
expands but gets swallowed by the button!!  How can I swallow just the
icon??

Thanks

-- 
---
Brian Millett                    
Technology Applications Inc.     "Heaven can not exist,
(314) 530-1981                          If the family is not eternal"
[email-masked]                   F. Ballard Washburn
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: lar3ry gensch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 14:54:55 -0400

> expands but gets swallowed by the button!!  How can I swallow just the

You don't need (or want) to swallow the icon.  What you want to do is
capture the icon, and create a "button" that will launch the
application.

There are two ways to do this:

1.  Find the sources, and look for the icon file.  Copy it to where fvwm
    looks for icons or pixmaps (as in Pixmappath), and use that file to
    represent the button to launch the application.

2.  Run the application and iconize it, and then "grab" the screen
    image with xv, convert it to an XPM file, put it into the pixmap
    directory, and use that file as the pixmap.

Then, set up a button to use the pixmap file you created, with an Action
to launch the program.

This is basically what I do to add applications to my button bar. 
However, I take the additional time to scale the pixmaps down to 14x16
or so (with mini icons, I can have a lot more apps on my button bar).

And yes... we could use a repository for mini-icons!  I've a few that I
could contribute if there was one.

-- 
------------------ http://www.tiac.net/users/lar3ry/ -------------------
(void) lar3ry();                                      [email-masked]

  "I'll only enjoy being a manager when they port gdb to debug humans"

---

From: [email-masked] (bpm)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 15:02:35 -0500

lar3ry gensch writes:
 |bpm wrote:
 |> 
 |> But I get an Icon on the desktop.  When I click on the icon, it
 |> expands but gets swallowed by the button!!  How can I swallow just the
 |> icon??
 |
 |You don't need (or want) to swallow the icon.  What you want to do is
 |capture the icon, and create a "button" that will launch the
 |application.
 |

I did that, but with the doomarena, when it is iconified, the icon
changes when someone wants to play on the network!   Yea, I know,
should spend more time working, but when you got to spaz out for 15
minutes, I can't think of a better way!!

Here is the smaller doom.xpm that I use

/* XPM */
static char *doom[] = {
/* width height num_colors chars_per_pixel */
"    38    46       42            1",
/* colors */
". c #473323",
"# c #db7b7b",
"a c #ffdbc7",
"b c #ffc6a7",
"c c #ffbe9b",
"d c #ffbb93",
"e c #ffb383",
"f c #f7ab7b",
"g c #efa373",
"h c #e79b6b",
"i c #df9363",
"j c #d78b5b",
"k c #cf8353",
"l c #cb7f4f",
"m c #bf794b",
"n c #b37247",
"o c #ab6e43",
"p c #a36a3f",
"q c #9b633b",
"r c #8f5f37",
"s c #875633",
"t c #7f522f",
"u c #774e2b",
"v c #6b4727",
"w c #5f4323",
"x c #533e1f",
"y c #4b361b",
"z c #3f2f17",
"A c #332b13",
"B c #2b230f",
"C c #9f8263",
"D c #675233",
"E c #d7b943",
"F c #c3992f",
"G c #af7a1f",
"H c #9b5913",
"I c #ffd6bb",
"J c #ffb27b",
"K c #ffa25b",
"L c #ffffff",
"M c #ffffd7",
"N 	s None	c None",
/* pixels */
"NNNNNNNNyywwwwwvuuuuuuuuvvwwwyyNNNNNNN",
"NNNNNNNNyywwwwwvuuuuuuuuvvwwwyyNNNNNNN",
"NNNNNAAwxxwwvrrmnnkkknnoqquwwxxwAANNNN",
"NNNNNAAwxxwwvrrmnnkkknnoqquwwxxwAANNNN",
"NNNNAwwurrqqmllkppnqqqqqrrruuuuxyyANNN",
"NNNNAuusuurrqnnsoorppuuuuuuwwxxAAABNNN",
"NNNNAuusuurrqnnsoorppuuuuuuwwxxAAABNNN",
"NNBBzwwuwwrrqrrrrrryyrrwyywyyAABBBBBBN",
"NNBBzyyxwwrrxqqvvvrvvyyvyyzwwBBAAAzBBN",
"NNBBzyyxwwrrxqqvvvrvvyyvyyzwwBBAAAzBBN",
"NNBByyyuuuxxrxxvuuvvvrrrrrsssvvyzzyBBN",
"NNBByyyuuuxxrxxvuuvvvrrrrrsssvvyzzyBBN",
"NNBByxxurruuxppxuurppnnqpprrrrrvyyyBBN",
"NNBBywwroonnpppnnnnnnnnnpppnnoorxxyBBN",
"NNBBywwroonnpppnnnnnnnnnpppnnoorxxyBBN",
"NNBByuuqkklllnnpooooooopnnlllkkqwwyBBN",
"NNBByuuqkkgghkkmpprrrppmkkhggkkquuyBBN",
"NNBByuuqkkgghkkmpprrrppmkkhggkkquuyBBN",
"NNBByuunhhaaehhhkkjjjkkhhheaahhnuuyBBN",
"NNBByuunhhaaehhhkkjjjkkhhheaahhnuuyBBN",
"nnvvyuuvvvxxpiinuunnnuuniipxxvvvuuyvvn",
"nnvv.rroooqqsuuvvvrrrvvvuusqqooorr.vvn",
"nnvv.rroooqqsuuvvvrrrvvvuusqqooorr.vvn",
"rrvvDnnuFFMMLEEFHHjjjHHFEELMMFFunnDvvr",
"vvwwsnnrooFFEFFGrrkhhrrGFFEFFoornnswwv",
"vvwwsnnrooFFEFFGrrkhhrrGFFEFFoornnswwv",
"sswws##jmmoorooljjKJJjjlooroommj##swws",
"rrwwrkkiggiilKKdhhKJJhhdKKliiggikkrwwr",
"rrwwrkkiggiilKKdhhKJJhhdKKliiggikkrwwr",
"NNwwsppommjjKbbijjJIIjjibbKjjmmoppswwN",
"NNwwsppommjjKbbijjJIIjjibbKjjmmoppswwN",
"NNwwuqqpmmggfjjoqqCCCqqojjfggmmpqquwwN",
"NNNNunnqjjddhmmxuusssuuxmmhddjjqnnuNNN",
"NNNNunnqjjddhmmxuusssuuxmmhddjjqnnuNNN",
"NNNNwllqhhffkkkjmmpppmmjkkkffhhqllwNNN",
"NNNNxoopjjhhkjjfcciiiccfjjkhhjjpooxNNN",
"NNNNxoopjjhhkjjfcciiiccfjjkhhjjpooxNNN",
"NNNNNssolljjruuHHHHHHHHHuurjjllossNNNN",
"NNNNNssolljjruuHHHHHHHHHuurjjllossNNNN",
"NNNNNxxrnnllllljhhKKKhhjlllllnnrxxNNNN",
"NNNNNNNvookkillorrtttrrollikkoovNNNNNN",
"NNNNNNNvookkillorrtttrrollikkoovNNNNNN",
"NNNNNNNNvvookiilllhhhllliikoovvNNNNNNN",
"NNNNNNNNNNxxsnnjhhccchhjnnsxxNNNNNNNNN",
"NNNNNNNNNNxxsnnjhhccchhjnnsxxNNNNNNNNN",
"NNNNNNNNNNNNBvvrppppppprvvBNNNNNNNNNNN"
};