Subject: FVWM: Running with session managers...

From: [email-masked] (Rob Whapham)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 16:13:26 -0400

I work for a systems integration software company, and we have one of
practically every Unix box in house.  I consider Fvwm to be far superior to
most of their window managers and would like to install it wherever possible.
I've been able to get it up and running on all of our Solaris machines
(Sparc 2.3, 2.4, and 2.5; and x86 2.4, 2.5), but all of the other OS's have
session managers which automatically start their window managers (i.e., you
don't have to type xinit or openwin from a command prompt).  I know this
doesn't pertain directly to Fvwm, but can anyone give me any help in setting
up the following OS's to use Fvwm:

	Irix 5.3
	HPUX 9.04 & 10.01
	AIX 3.2 & 4.1
	OSF (Digital Unix) 3.2
	DG/UX 5.4 (RISC) & 4.11 (x86)

As always, thanks in advance...

Rob Whapham
Software Developer
HubLink, Inc.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Tiefenback <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 16:57:08 -0400 (EDT)

> 	DG/UX 5.4 (RISC) & 4.11 (x86)

In case any of you haven't already found the resource for HP-UX, putting

vuesession*wmStartupCommand: /<PATH>/fvwm<whatever>

(I think I got it correctly; check your documentation, and if all else
fails, try it out) into your vue.resources file will fire up fvwm in place
of vuewm.  The downside is that this takes longer (!) to start up fvwm
than if you let vuewm come up, kill it, and then start fvwm.  This is a
great mystery to me.  Another downside is for those of you who have begun
to use vuewm's myriad resource editing gadgets.  Starting fvwm this way
keeps you from accessing them.  I think there is a vue-lite option, from
which it is also possible to start alternate wm, but I never did that.  
As always, YMMV.

Michael Tiefenback

---

From: Thomas Leitner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 08:39:47 +0200 (MET DST)

> up the following OS's to use Fvwm:

For Digital Unix use the following:

1.) Click on "Options->Window" in the session manager menu.
2.) Under the Window Manager Title, choose "Other" instead of "Default"
    and enter the path to the fvwm executable into the entry field.

Log-out and log-in again.

This setting just causes the following Resource to be set in the
.Xdefaults of the User's Home directory:

      DXsession.windowManagerName:    /usr/lib/X11/fvwm/fvwm

If you want to make it the default for all users, just put it in

          /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/DXsession

Hope that helps -- Tom

P.S: Beware, though, that this setup requires a patch to FVWM 2.0.43. 
     Without the patch, you can have dead FVWM processes lying around
     after logging out. These processes eat up all CPU time they can
     get.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
T o m   L e i t n e r                       Dept. of Communications
                                            Graz University of Technology, 
e-mail    : [email-masked]      Inffeldgasse 12
Phone     : +43-316-873-7455                A-8010 Graz / Austria / Europe
Fax       : +43-316-463-697
Home page : http://wiis.tu-graz.ac.at/people/tom.html
PGP public key on : ftp://wiis.tu-graz.ac.at/pgp-keys/tom.asc or send 
mail with subject "get Thomas Leitner" to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bill Oswald <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 09:40:31 -0500 (CDT)

> Excerpts from fvwm: 21-Oct-96 FVWM: Running with session .. Rob
> [email-masked] (1046)

> I know this

> 	AIX 3.2 & 4.1

On AIX 4.1 you should be able to go into smit and do the following:
	1) Select "System Management"
	2) Select "Change System User Interface"
	3) Here you have 3 selections -- choose "Command line"
or use:
	/usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -d

You'll need to be logged in as root and then you'll have to reboot the
system.

I'm not aware that the default AIX 3.2 image includes an auto session
manager initialization.  You may have the login manager installed and it
could have been setup via the command line on all of 3.2 machines. 
You'll probably have to use the dtconfig command line option above to
disable it.

-Bill