Subject: FVWM: Strange behaviour of IconBox when searching Icons

From: Martin Trampler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 15:09:28 +0200

Hi,

I've recently compiled 2.0.43 whithout major problems under Solaris
2.4. In Fvwm.tmpl I set the FvwmIconPath variable to point to the
bitmaps and pixmaps - directory of our X11 - Distribution as well as
to the location of the Icons that come with Fvwm.
In my ".fvwmrc" (which is the proper file, I didn't rename fvwm) I
first set neither PixmapPath nor IconPath.

When I then started fvwm (starting the IconBox-module in the
InitFunction) it found the Icons it should - fine.

Then I set the PixmapPath variable in my .fvwmrc to point to
"/home/trampler/lib/Icons/", where I store some of my favourites,
logged off and back in again. Now FvwmButtons found all Icons (the
ones in the compiled-in directories as well as those in /home...)
while IconBox appeared to have forgotten about the compiled-in values,
i.e. it didn't show an icon for my xterms (xterm-sol.xpm from the
fvwm-Distribution) but knew about the icons in /home...

This means that to use IconBox I have to add the value of FvwmIconPath,
given at compile time, to the PixmapPath. This is no major problem,
but IconBox's behaviour is a bit strange.

Btw, is there a need for two variables to hold locations of Icons
(PixmapPath and IconPath) ? As I understand it, it was meant to
seperate xbms from xpms, but as far as I see they can be mixed in
directories and fvwm doesn't bother.

Cheers

     Martin Trampler
     [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 96 19:46:58 +0200

>>>>> Martin Trampler writes:

M> Hi,
M> I've recently compiled 2.0.43 whithout major problems under Solaris
M> 2.4. In Fvwm.tmpl I set the FvwmIconPath variable to point to the
M> bitmaps and pixmaps - directory of our X11 - Distribution as well as
M> to the location of the Icons that come with Fvwm.
M> In my ".fvwmrc" (which is the proper file, I didn't rename fvwm) I
M> first set neither PixmapPath nor IconPath.

M> When I then started fvwm (starting the IconBox-module in the
M> InitFunction) it found the Icons it should - fine.

M> Then I set the PixmapPath variable in my .fvwmrc to point to
M> "/home/trampler/lib/Icons/", where I store some of my favourites,
M> logged off and back in again. Now FvwmButtons found all Icons (the
M> ones in the compiled-in directories as well as those in /home...)
M> while IconBox appeared to have forgotten about the compiled-in values,
M> i.e. it didn't show an icon for my xterms (xterm-sol.xpm from the
M> fvwm-Distribution) but knew about the icons in /home...

seems like different parsing strategies/no compiled in defaults for
IconBox.

I don't like compiled in paths, since you've got to recompile each tool, as
you reorganize directory trees, or change mountings.

system.fvwmrc should be the place for this info.

But at least it should be consistent.

M> Btw, is there a need for two variables to hold locations of Icons
M> (PixmapPath and IconPath) ? As I understand it, it was meant to
M> seperate xbms from xpms, but as far as I see they can be mixed in
M> directories and fvwm doesn't bother.

what became of the icon-tree idea?
(automatically adding prefixes & postfixes like

	name prefix/postfix	path prefix

	mini- 			mini/
	.xpm			xpm/
	.xbm			xbm/
	
etc.)

albrecht	
-- 
There must be some mistake,
I never meant to let them take,
Away my soul.	  	-- Pink Floyd
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 14:11:12 -0400

>>>>> "A" == Albrecht Kadlec <[email-masked]> writes:

A> what became of the icon-tree idea?
A> (automatically adding prefixes & postfixes like

A>      name prefix/postfix     path prefix

A>      mini-                   mini/
A>      .xpm                    xpm/
A>      .xbm                    xbm/

A> etc.)

I don't like that idea, so it probably won't happen.  Using the full
file name which would be found in the stated paths is simple and
unconfusing.

What may happen, on the other hand, is to just use PixmapPath for both
(which basically already works, I believe) and just remove IconPath.

Chuck