Subject: FVWM: Improved CleverPlacement

From: Anthony Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 22:22:32 -0700 (PDT)

CleverPlacement is now cleverer.  Now CleverPlacement tries more possible
positions when it is looking for the optimum placement.  It is now more
likely to avoid things at the bottom of the screen such as button bars or
a pager.  Also, it tries to completely avoid StaysOnTop windows like the
fvwm95 task bar. 

It is set up so that it will usually avoid StaysOnTop windows completely,
but if it finds that it can save a lot of space elsewhere by covering just
a small portion of a StaysOnTop window, then it will do that.  The
avoidance factor is configurable at compile time so that if you want it to
_always_ (or never) avoid StaysOnTop windows, then you can make it do so.
But I think the default works pretty well.

You can get the source at:
http://www.engr.csulb.edu/~amartin/placement.c

Just replace the placement.c that comes with fvwm.  It also works fine
with fvwm95.  To use with fvwm95 all you have to do is comment out a
header file at the top of placement.c and uncomment another.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Tony.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ondrej Popp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 13:36:21 +0100

Anthony Martin wrote:
> a pager.

I have installed CleverPlacement and it works great for me.
However, and I admit I am not sure if I want to bring this up
because I dont want to start an other discussion on the following
subject, but,

When there is plenty of room, lets say a clean workspace,
the first window is placed at the Top Left corner of the screen.
For me, I like to start with the windows at the Bottom Left corner
and work my way up as I place new windows.

But really, its not important. I see a great improvement as it is.
Especially when I use seyon, first one window always obscured the other
and now everything is accessible.

Ondrej