Subject: FVWM: that "fvwm won't die" ugliness...

From: Chris Rode <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 21:13:50 CDT

i've been busy and not really following the discussion here closely as
of late...my apologies if this has been nipped and i just happened to
miss it.  i remember this being brought up in the past, but was just
wondering what the status on it was...

the problem is that with fvwm 2.0.43 (and previous versions...), if fvwm
is not explicitly told to quit before the user logs out, it doesn't die
when the xsession dies.  i don't experience this problem, since i use
fvwm as my session manager, but there are a number of users that use my
installation of fvwm 2.0.43 on three different platforms (ultrix 4.3,
osf/1 3.2, and irix 5.3), and i am seeing more and more machines with
these runaway processes on them.  here is a sample from 'top' on one of
them:

IRIX du89-09 5.3 11091812 IP22 Load[2.16,2.28,2.30] 21:04:28   50 procs
    user   pid  pgrp   %cpu proc  pri  size   rss    time  command
    8225  4996  4980  48.97    *  100   674   204 4913:44  fvwm-2.0.43
    8225 11534 11159  48.58    *  100   672   205  836:15  fvwm-2.0.43

each one seems to drive the load up by about 1.00.  fortunately, i have
root access on most of the machines i find these processes on (they are
in public labs on our campus), so i can 'su' and kill them, but most
cannot (or wouldn't know how), and if enough of them are present (i
logged into a machine with *5* of these processes this morning), they
can have a noticeable effect on the sluggishness of a machine.

is there a known fix for this (outside of explicitly quitting fvwm), is
it resolved in the next beta (due when?), or what is the status of this
ugliness?

thanks--
--chris.

--
 "Our education system is wrong, it takes no note of the subtleties of human
  nature, it places more importance on the memory of an individual than how
  memorable an individual is.  It does not nurture talent, but rewards those
  who obey and allows them entrance to an exclusive club.  This is wrong."
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].