Subject: FVWM: Another wish. :)

From: [email-masked] (Walter Truitt)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 08:53:40 -0600 (CST)

Actually this isn't so much a request for change to the window
manager, but for directions on how to set up my .fvwm2rc to give this
function.

What I would like is to not need the mouse to move around on my
desktop.  How could I create something to allow me to rotate through
my windows by pressing something like alt-tab?  There might not be a
way if the windows need to be given an order or something.  I don't
know, and since I am not really a programmer yet, I am just asking if
someone else has set it up and could share their configuration.

An idea for another module though would be something similar to the
iconbox or windowlist that I could have start with a keyboard command
and then be able to use the arrow keys to select the app I want to
move to and press return.  This would be preferable to the above, but
would take programming.  :)

Walter
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Oct 1996 16:23:33 +0100

>>>>> Walter Truitt writes:

  Walter> What I would like is to not need the mouse to move around on
  Walter> my desktop.  How could I create something to allow me to
  Walter> rotate through my windows by pressing something like
  Walter> alt-tab? [...]

I have the following in .fvwmrc which does this for Alt-j and Alt-k
(vi-like commands...):

Key j           A       4       Next [CurrentDesk] Function GoThere
Key k           A       4       Prev [CurrentDesk] Function GoThere

  Walter> An idea for another module though would be something similar
  Walter> to the iconbox or windowlist that I could have start with a
  Walter> keyboard command and then be able to use the arrow keys to
  Walter> select the app I want to move to and press return.  This
  Walter> would be preferable to the above, but would take
  Walter> programming.  :)

The built-in window list does this quite nicely.  I use Alt-m:

Key m           A       4       WindowList

Please note that you may have to change the modifier.  On my keyboard,
the Alt key is mod4.  On a PC keyboard, the Alt key is probably Meta,
I guess.

kai
-- 
Life is hard and then you die.