Subject: FVWM: color of resizing grid

From: Guenther Grau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 17:12:29 +0200

Hi,

the color of my desktop is plain black. When I resize a window,
the usual resizing grid appears, but it is black. Same when moving
a window around on my desktop. As this is black on black, i cannot
see, where exactly I am going to place the window. It would be
nice, if the resizing/moving grid would be drawn with XOR so that
the grid would be seen on top of any color.

Comments?

  Guenther
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Chris Rode <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 09:36:06 CDT

Guenther Grau <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hi,

Comments?

---------->> i have this in my .fvwm2rc:

#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# This changes the value with which bits are XOR'ed when doing
# rubber-band window moving or resizing.  Whatever is used by default
# doesn't work with my (mostly) black background...
#---------------------------------------------------------------------
#
XORvalue 1

--chris.

--
 "Our education system is wrong, it takes no note of the subtleties of human
  nature, it places more importance on the memory of an individual than how
  memorable an individual is.  It does not nurture talent, but rewards those
  who obey and allows them entrance to an exclusive club.  This is wrong."
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tom Serkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 08:43:53 -0600

Actually, I've been meaning to ask a similar question:
My background is also mostly black.... after running fvwm 2.0.41 for 
several hours/days, the grid starts showing up as a different color.

-Tom

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 10:35:20 -0400

>>>>> "GG" == Guenther Grau <[email-masked]> writes:

GG> Hi,

Hello.

GG> the color of my desktop is plain black. When I resize a window,
GG> the usual resizing grid appears, but it is black. Same when moving
GG> a window around on my desktop. As this is black on black, i cannot
GG> see, where exactly I am going to place the window. It would be
GG> nice, if the resizing/moving grid would be drawn with XOR so that
GG> the grid would be seen on top of any color.

GG> Comments?

Um... it IS drawn with XOR.  You may have to play with XORValue.  From
the man page:

          XORvalue number
               Changes the value with which bits are XOR'ed when doing
               rubber-band window moving or resizing.  Setting this
               value is a trial-and-error process.

Try 1 (which I use with a black background), then 255 (the default
actually), as I think these are the best bets (unless you have a
TrueColor/DirectColor visual @ 24 bpp, in which case try 250, which
worked for someone I know).

Chuck

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 11:08:27 -0400

>>>>> "Me" == Charles Hines <[email-masked]> writes:

Me> Um... it IS drawn with XOR.  You may have to play with XORValue.  From
Me> the man page:

Me>           XORvalue number
Me>                Changes the value with which bits are XOR'ed when doing
Me>                rubber-band window moving or resizing.  Setting this
Me>                value is a trial-and-error process.

Me> Try 1 (which I use with a black background), then 255 (the default
Me> actually), as I think these are the best bets (unless you have a
Me> TrueColor/DirectColor visual @ 24 bpp, in which case try 250, which
Me> worked for someone I know).

I decided to change the default to 1 (which I was setting in my
..fvwm2rc anyways) since it does seem to work better for darker
backgrounds.  That'll be in the next beta.

Chuck

---

From: Guenther Grau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 18:36:12 +0200

Hi Chris,

> Guenther Grau <[email-masked]> wrote:

Thanx! seems that I should have read the manual more carefully.
A couple of days ago I had a problem with fvwm and all the modules
being started twice on my machine. I poked around a little bit
to find, that the Xserver offered two screens, a bw one and a colored
one. The Xsun server does this by default and looking at the fvwm src, I
saw that fvwm and forked itself to serve each screen. But I also found
that this was only done, it the -s option was not given. Thus, I didn't
send in a bug report, but use fvwm -s now :-) It seems that I tried
mailing first and then thinking, which is a bad idea :-)

Thanx,

  Guenther

P.S.: Sorry, for the babbling, but I just wanted to explain that I am
not
one of those people who don't read the manuals. I've read the manuals of
fvwm several times, but it seems I missed this feature.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: James_Kingdon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 16:45:47 +0100

Hello Chuck and fellow list-readers,

I was just glancing at a magazine on my desk when I noticed that
the display on the obligatory computer screen appeared to have
been faked. (Computer Shopper, issue 104, Oct '96).
Somebody had taken a few images and pasted them onto a blue 
background to make a composite screen shot. The interesting bit
is that instead of the usual window manager borders and handles,
the artist had dropped in graduated shadows on the bottom and
right hand edges, giving the windows that "floating" appearance.

A quick comparison of the fake screenshot and my real screen
suggests that this effect would look really great if we could
do it for real. Does anyone have some thoughts on how practical
it would be to implement this?

Regards,
James.

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                      _______________
 James Kingdon                                       |               |
 Parallel Applications Centre                        |  /|   /|   /| |
 2 Venture Road                                      | | |  | |  | | |
 Chilworth                                           | | |  | |  | | |
 Southampton          Phone:  +44 1703 760834        | | |  | |  | | |
 S016 7NP             Fax:    +44 1703 760833        | |/   |/   |/  |
 United Kingdom       E-Mail: [email-masked]    |_______________|

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Guenther Grau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 18:51:46 +0200

Hi Chuck,

> worked for someone I know).

Thanx! I chose 1 and it worked fine.
What is the actual problem with the XORValue? Why is it trial-and-error
process? Is it because you cannot acutally choose a color value, but
have to choose a color with a number?
If I have a color value of e.g. black: 00 00 00. If I xor this
with FF FF FF, I get FF FF FF. Thus I would always get the 'reverse'
color.
But on non true color systems I probably have colormap entry
black is e.g. 2, and 2 xor 255 yields 253, which might also contain
a very dark color, maybe the same as black. Is that the problem?

  Guenther

---

From: "William E. Roadcap" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 12:31:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 3 Oct 1996, James_Kingdon wrote:

> The interesting bit

Another "similar" illusion is to take a texture background like marble and
use xv to blur it a bit.  This creates a depth-of-field which tends to
make the windows appear to be floating.  It's sort of like when you see a
picture of a flower that is in very clear focus, but the background
foliage is blured. 

Your mileage may vary...

PS.  In case you're interested.  The photographic effect is achieved by
setting your camera's lens aperture to a very wide opening and reducing
shutter speed.  (off topic, sorry...)
__
William E. Roadcap                            mailto:[email-masked]
TITUS Software                                   ftp://titus.cfw.com/pub
Waynesboro, Va (USA)                            http://www.cfw.com/~roadcapw

---

From: [email-masked] (Dan Miner)
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 12:44:15 -0600 (MDT)

> it would be to implement this?

It kinda depends on the detail of shadowing; but you can find these
"effects" in the XForms library (at least with the programs I've used)
and the Taskbar for fvwm95.

	Dan

-- 
Dan Miner					[email-masked]
	"The longer I stare at this screen; the blanker it gets."
						Linux: try it, you'll like.
"Your program is encoded in pi."		I started with a 64
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Liem Bahneman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 13:54:51 -0700 (PDT)

It would seem that adding shadowing effects could be utilized with 
transparent xpms, that allow the texture below to show through. But a 
real shadowed effect would require that the depth of shadow extend down 
depending on how the windows are layered..a window that overlaps 3 other 
windows would have a larger shadow on the root window, but a shorter 
shadow on each window below it, but of course, that's nitpicking. I think 
its would be a neat effect.
 +-----+
 |     |`-----+
 |     ||     |\
 |     ||     | \
 +-----+|     |`----+
  \   +-`     ||    |\
   \  |       ||    ||
    \ +-------+|    ||
     \ `    `-------+|
      `-`----`-------`

ack..does that look like three layered windows with progressively deeper 
shadows?

ObPraise: fvwm2 is simply amazing, especially with Andrew Veliath's
titlebar patches (wow). No longer will anyone's desktop look like just
another desktop, but totally amd uniquely configured. But I'm digressing.. 

- liem

> and the Taskbar for fvwm95.

============================================================================
Liem Bahneman	                                      [email-masked]
Systems Administrator		   	  http://www.cobaltgroup.com/~roland
The Cobalt Group
Seattle, Washington