Subject: FVWM: Updated CleverPlacement and stuff.

From: Anthony Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 01:22:42 -0700 (PDT)

I made a couple of one-liner speed optimizations suggested by Dan
Astoorian to CleverPlacement.  I doubt that anyone will notice anything.
If placement was instantaneous before, it is still instantaneous, but I
suppose that there are extreme cases where placement time could be
measurable (many many windows on slow computer).  In any case, the new
CleverPlacement should be faster than the old SmartPlacement.  It is at:
http://www.engr.csulb.edu/~amartin/placement.c

I received a report that CleverPlacement works fine with fvwm95 with only
a header file change.  I have been trying to get the source for the latest
fvwm95, but the home page seems to be down.  Is it still at this location?
http://ltiwww.epfl.ch/~barth/fvwm95.html

There is a bug somewhere in fvwm that sometimes causes it to subtract 1
from the x and y values returned by SmartPlacement/CleverPlacement.  This
bug has been there for a very long time and is unrelated to the new
CleverPlacement code.  If your first window starts at -1,-1 instead of 0,0
then I suggest changing your placement line as follows:

Style "*" SmartPlacement, ActivePlacement

This seems to suppress the bug as far as I can tell.  If you want to
verify that there is a bug, try the two sample.fvwmrc files distributed
with fvwm-2.  One of these files exposes the bug, the other doesn't.  I
started looking for the cause of this bug, which I think is in placement.c
(the part I didn't touch), but the code is so confusing, I gave up. 
Perhaps someone else has an idea. 

Tony.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 10:47:53 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Tony --

	You've probably got 17 replies on this by now, but....

>  fvwm95...home page seems to be down.

	Don't know what the whole story is, but fvwm95 now resides at a 
temp location at 

	http://www.terraware.net/ftp/pub/Mirrors/fvwm95/fvwm95.html

	I got this info from Matt Chapman's window manager page, which has
also migrated to new temporary quarters, at

	http://www.emptysky.com/xwinman

	Ciao,
	Bob

---

From: [email-masked] (Dan Miner)
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 21:14:53 -0600 (MDT)

> http://ltiwww.epfl.ch/~barth/fvwm95.html

You can now find fvwm95 on http://www.terraware.net.  I'm in the middle of
an update (Redhat 3.0.3 -> 4.0) and I don't have most of my personal
data handy.  If you desire, I can post the full URL.

	Dan

---

From: Anthony Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 20:19:03 -0700 (PDT)

> data handy.  If you desire, I can post the full URL.

I found the one you mention at terraware.  Thanks for your help.

Tony.