Subject: FVWM: Progress on building fvwm2 on Linux

From: Andy Pearce <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 1996 20:49:36 BST

Hello again, 

Just to let you all know I'm not giving up on building fvwm2 on linux 
2.0.2 just yet ... Thanks to those who responded to my earlier message.

I think the problems are with my Linux configuration and not with fvwm, 
but here's what I found out ...

First off, use 'xmkmf -a' to make Makefiles and compile dependencies 
in one step.  My version of make was not looking for Makefile for some 
reason (renaming to makefile worked) -- don't know if this was a problem 
with GNU make 3.74 or some variable that make uses?-- I upgraded to 3.75 
and that finds Makefiles fine.

fvwm2 still does not build completely due to an undeclared reference to 
__FDSET_INTS.  /usr/include/linux/posix_types.h does not declare this, 
even though it is used in the FD_ZERO macro (asm/posix_types.h) which 
fvwm seems to use quite a lot.  I'm not sure what to do about this, as 
I don't want to end up with a hack.  Any suggestions welcome! 

Regards 
 Andy Pearce    [email-masked]

------------

eg; fvwm/event.c
  FD_ZERO(&out_fdset);

/usr/include/asm/posix_types.h:
#define __FD_ZERO(fdsetp) \
                __asm__ __volatile__("cld ; rep ; stosl" \
                        :"=m" (*(__kernel_fd_set *) (fdsetp)) \
                        :"a" (0), "c" (__FDSET_INTS), \
                        "D" ((__kernel_fd_set *) (fdsetp)) :"cx","di")

/usr/include/linux/posix_types.h:
#undef __FDSET_LONGS
#define __FDSET_LONGS   (__FD_SETSIZE/__NFDBITS)

Eg, from the build output:

making all in ./fvwm...
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/fvwm-2.0.43/fvwm'
gcc -O2 -m486 -ansi    -I. -I../libs  -I/usr/X11R6/include  -Dlinux -D__i386__ -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_GNU_SOURCE -DX_LOCALE  -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNARROWPROTO  -DSHAPE -DPIXMAP_BUTTONS -DXPM    -c events.c -o events.o
events.c: In function `My_XNextEvent':
events.c:1397: `__FDSET_INTS' undeclared (first use this function)
events.c:1397: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
events.c:1397: for each function it appears in.)
make[1]: *** [events.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/fvwm-2.0.43/fvwm'
etc...
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].