Subject: FVWM: Mini-icons?

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 96 12:57:28 EDT

Does anyone here know of repositories for mini-icons (other than those
that come with FVWM)?

I'm not even necessarily looking for mini-icons, as much as small
icons... esp. height-wise.  E.g., I have a little xterm pixmap that's
29x23 and that's very close to perfect size... could be a little taller
but not much.

This is more for button bars than for menu or frame buttons: I don't
want my button bar to be too tall (wide is OK, since I use a horizontal
bar :) and I want to stack two buttons on top of each other.

I have the AIcons package, but don't see much smaller than 32x32 in that.

Alternatively (or in addition :), does anyone have a reasonably reliable
way of shrinking xpms, without too much distortion?  Seems unlikely, but
you never know :)

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 Senior Software Engineer                                   Bay Networks, Inc.
-----------------------------------------------==<http://www.baynetworks.com/>-
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     These are my opinions--Bay Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Oct 1996 10:12:09 -0700

> way of shrinking xpms, without too much distortion?  Seems unlikely, but

The fvwm95 distribution has a fair set of them:
http://ltiwww.epfl.ch/~barth/fvwm95.html

They're in the big tar file with everything else.

The only way I know of to shrink XPM's is to use XV or ImageMagick to shrink
them, and then go in with xpaint to patch things up. Depending on what the
xpm is, and how you shrink it, you might explode the number of colors as a
result of whatever smoothing process occurs. You can use ppmquant to quantize
a ppm file, and the ImageMagick tools can do that as well.

I personally either just draw mine myself (good for ugly pixmaps, boo hoo), or
shrink a nice one, and then use that as a guide to draw a cleaner one.

-- 
 Brady Montz
 [email-masked]