Subject: FVWM: FvwmPager question

From: "Barry A. Warsaw" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 14:29:27 -0500

I'm currently updating my Fvwm.py module for writing Fvwm 2.0 modules
in Python.  I'm working on a sort of successor to FvwmPager (called
Pypager) which has an interface reminiscent of Ctwm's desktop manager,
but I'm also going to support some of the UI of the existing FvwmPager
program.  I've got the basic mechanism working, and I've been testing
it by interacting with both Pypager and FvwmPager.

I noticed something weird about FvwmPager, and checked out the source
code in modules/FvwmPager/x_pager.c:SwitchToDeskAndPage().  My
question is, in the !NON_VIRTUAL clause, there's a call to SendInfo()
that I don't understand.  It says:

      SendInfo(fd,"Desk 0 10000\n",0);

Now, why would FvwmPager be trying to switch to desk 10000?  The
manpage for Fvwm doesn't say anything about special semantics for arg2
of the Desk command, so is this a bug, or a throw back to an earlier
spec, or just something tickling an undocumented, er feature?

This seems kind of bogus to me, and either FvwmPager should be fixed
(i.e. this line removed), or I'll have to kludge around it in Pypager.

Thanks,
-Barry
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Martin Kraemer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 09:53:24 +0100 (MET)

Barry A. Warsaw writes,...

> [...] in the !NON_VIRTUAL clause, there's a call to SendInfo()
> Now, why would FvwmPager be trying to switch to desk 10000?

This solution is a trick to speed the switch times when going from one
desk to a different one. In fact it first switches to the (empty) desk
#10000 and then to the desired new desk.

The time saving comes by the fact that it takes less time to remove the
old windows completely and then displaying the new windows than it takes
to remove old/display new windows interleaved (because removing is not
instantaneous).

At least that's what I _think_ the idea was behind it, if I recall the
discussion with Rob Nation correctly.

    Martin
-- 
| S I E M E N S |  <[email-masked]>  |      Siemens Nixdorf
| ------------- |   Voice: +49-89-636-46021     |  Informationssysteme AG
| N I X D O R F |   FAX:   +49-89-636-44994     |   81730 Munich, Germany
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~My opinions only, of course; pgp key available on request
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].