Subject: FVWM: FVWM bug: window not autoraising

From: Michael Hirsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 14:24:37 -0400 (EDT)

>>>>> Guenther Grau <[email-masked]> writes:

grau> Michael Hirsch wrote:
>>  I like autoraise, and the app won't autoraise.  I've seen this
>> also with a few nonstandard programs, like WABI programs and a few
>> others written specifically for solaris, but every generic X
>> program has always autoraised fine.

grau> Hmm, I've had problems with WABI on Solaris with mwm and raising
grau> windows in general, but I guess these were WABI related.

grau> Hmm, I hate to tell you, but the only thing I can point you to
grau> is UTSL (use the source, Luke :-). Honestly, this sounds like a
grau> bug in fvwm, which is not yet documented. If you have the time,
grau> please investige, if not, hope that others will. Maybe you can
grau> provide a minimal X program that exhibits the behaviour as a
grau> test case (not to me, I don't have time at the moment to look
grau> into this :-(, to the developers.

Thanks Guenther,

Okay, I think I found it.

there is a window manager hint InputHint that needs to be true for
fvwm to autoraise (and give it focus, I think).  In the program I was
running it was set to false, for some unknown reason.  Here is some
sample code from the display initialization code:

	if((p_XWMH = XAllocWMHints()) == NULL){
		fprintf(stderr,"Error allocating Window Manager hints!\n");
		exit(1);
		}

	p_XWMH->flags = (InputHint | StateHint | IconPixmapHint);
	p_XWMH->input = True;

In the xlib Programming Manual (O'Reilly) this is even documented on
page 414:
	If your application requires keyboard input and you neglect to
	set the input flag to True, you [sic] application will not get
	keyboard events under some window managers, such as olwm.

Actually, I have found that olwm does not have this problem any
longer, but fvwm 1.24 does.

Is this a bug?  I dunno.  I know that there are clients out there that
don't set the input flag to be true and I would like to autoraise
them. 

-- 
Michael Hirsch				Work: (404) 727-7940 
Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322	FAX: (404) 727-5611
Internet:  [email-masked]	BITNET: [email-masked]
UUCP: {rutgers,gatech}!emory!hirsch	http://www.mathcs.emory.edu/~hirsch/

Public key for encrypted mail available upon request (or finger
[email-masked]).
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 1996 15:35:01 -0400

> don't set the input flag to be true and I would like to autoraise

Sorry to say I haven't been following  this discussion very carefully,
but if the problem centers around input hints, try the Lenience flag.

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].