Subject: FVWM: FvwmButtons and tkgoodstuff

From: Andy Pearce <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 10:03:04 BST

I'm new to fvwm2 -- got it working and am now trying to configure it!

Am I right in thinking FvwmButtons module and tkgoodstuff provide 
essentially the same things, from a user interface viewpoint?  The 
advantage of tkgoodstuff being that you save on process resources 
because the tk/tcl clients are manifested via a single wish interpreter?
But if I want my taskbar to look like Win95 or CDE, I have to use 
FvwmButtons?

Thanks
 Andy Pearce    [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 21:14:48 -0400

You write:
>essentially the same things, from a user interface viewpoint?  

Both provide button bars.  Tkgoodstuff has a lot of additional
features: completely GUI-configured with tabbed notebooks and
hierarchical list widgets, lots of built-in "clients", lots of
flexibility of button behavior (like buttons whose relief is sensitive
to the existence of windows with the specified name/class, rather than
to the existence of a process spawned by the button), etc..

>The advantage of tkgoodstuff being that you save on process resources
>because the tk/tcl clients are manifested via a single wish
>interpreter?  But if I want my taskbar to look like Win95 or CDE, I
>have to use FvwmButtons?

No, that's backwards: the Win95 stuff (buttons for each X window;
GUI-configured menu) is done by tkgoodstuff (the tkgoodstuff
WindowList client) but NOT by FvwmButtons.  Fvwm95 has a module called
"FvwmTaskBar" that imitates some of the Win95 taskbar's look.  It may
well suit your needs.  But tkgoodstuff is far more flexible, IMHO.

It may be that you'd have to do a lot of "swallowing" to equal
tkgoodstuff's resource usage.  Another disadvantage of tkgoodstuff at
this point is that features have outpaced polish: there are a number
of bugs (few very dire), and the author is moving very slowly to
correct them (collaborators welcome!).

Tkgoodstuff is at:
  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~markcrim/tkgoodstuff

Mark