Subject: FVWM: FVWM2: shell resize after FVWM RESIZE, possible?

From: [email-masked] (^8= Eric T. Sylvain =8^)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 08:31:08 -0500

Hi All:

I would like to have my shell resize whenever I do a 
resize of a window with FVWM2.  I know I can use tcsh
and the shell would do this for me, but is there a way
to get this functionality by using fvwm2 to direct
a command to the shell connected to my current xterm?

Just for clairity:

1. Grab corner of xterm, and expand window
2. I must then type "resize" in that window

I would like the second action to be inititated
by FVWM2.  Is this possible, anyone know?

I am not currently subscribed to the list, so can
you copy me "[email-masked]" on the responses...

-Eric

-----------------------------------------------------
Eric Sylvain                     Direct (603)337-7014
Cabletron Systems, Inc.          Fax    (603)337-7784
35 Industrial Way, PO Box 5005
Rochester, NH 03866-5005            [email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Markus Gutschke <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Oct 1996 19:10:23 +0100

> a command to the shell connected to my current xterm?

When resizing an xterm window, your application should receive
SIGWINCH signals telling it about the change. Sometimes, this does not
appear to work; in most cases that is because you run a "telnet" or
"rlogin" session in the window and your network software does not
properly transmit the signal. Try switching between "telnet" and
"rlogin", and check if that makes any difference.

Markus

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Oct 1996 22:30:12 -0600

>>>>> "ETS" == ^8= Eric T Sylvain =8^ <[email-masked]> writes:

ETS> I would like to have my shell resize whenever I do a resize of a
ETS> window with FVWM2.  I know I can use tcsh and the shell would do this
ETS> for me, but is there a way to get this functionality by using fvwm2 to
ETS> direct a command to the shell connected to my current xterm?

The window manager informs the xterm of the new size.  Xterm sends SIGWINCH
to the shell to inform it that the window size has changed.  It is up to
the shell to pick this up.

FVWM and xterm already collude to provide the necessary functionality, but
if the shell doesn't pay attention then there isn't much you can do about
it.  There is simply no way to know what's happening inside shell, so even
if it was possible to do so, you couldn't just have fvwm "type" a command
to the shell when you change the size.  What if you were running a file
manager, and the "z" in resize triggered mass deletion?  Even in the best
case you'd get garbage spewed into your editor.

 - J<