Subject: FVWM: Normalize wanted

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 10:42:16 +0100

Hello FVWMers,
	I've been playing with different title buttons that maximize to
different geometries.  Everything is working fine except that maximize is a
toggle action and there is no way to set a windows max/normal state except 
by toggling it.  

An example:

AddToFunc Tall
+ "I" Maximize 0p 886p
+ "I" Focus

will stretch a window from the top of the screen down to my button bar.  I
use it when I'm viewing long files.  If the file has long lines in it I
might want to switch to full screen.  If I boink the maximize button the
window goes back to normal size and I have to boink maximize again to get
full screen.  What I want is a way to get from one maximized size to another
without going through normal size.  There are several way I can think of
doing this but I'm not capable of changing the code so here's my thoughts:

1) Provide a Normalize function that does nothing to a normal sized window
   and unmaximizes a maximized window.  I would use this in a function thus:
   
      AddToFunc Tall
      + "I" Normalize
      + "I" Maximize 0p 886p
      + "I" Focus
      
   I know it would do two redraws but I could live with that.
   
2) Change the parameter to maximize to take negative values.  Positive values
   behave as at present i.e. Maximize is a toggle.  Negative values JFDI. eg
   
      AddToFunc Tall
      + "I" Maximize -0p -886p
      
   This is a bit dirty and could be difficult to code for corner cases e.g. 
      + "I" Maximize 100 -100
      
3) Provide a MaximizeDontToggle (or MaximizeAndIMeanIt or MaximizeDammit 8-)
   function that doesn't toggle.
   
4) Make "Maximize 0 0" behave like Normalize.  At 2.0.42 it behaves like
   "Maximize 100 100".
   
My vote is for Normalize since it might be useful in ways I have not thought
of yet and might be the easiest to implement.

Cheers,
Phippo.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].