Subject: Re: FVWM: Where is goodstuff module??

From: [email-masked] (Martin Cartwright)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 16:07:57 +0100

It's still in the 2.0.43 release but in the  directory "extras".
However, it's been superseded i  the release by the 
somewhat more versatile (and in my opinion better), FvwmButtons.

Cheers,

 Martin

[email-masked] - http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~imc/vom.htm
-/-----------------------------------------------------------\-
|  "No challenge should be faced without a little charm,      |
|   and a lot of style."				      |
-\-----------------------------------------------------------/-

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (David Kennedy)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 16:08:42 +0100

Mont said:
>  Can someone tell me where I can get the "goodstuff" module??
>  
>  I remember the module from my Linux machine, but the module is 
>  not included in the FVWM release.

The version of fvwm you used on your Linux box must have been
1.summat as that is when 'goodstuff' was used.

Fvwm2 (the current release) has a module called FvwmButtons which
is a much improved version of 'goodstuff'. Have a read at the man-page
for FvwmButtons, much of it should be familiar.

-- 
David Kennedy, The Queen's University of Belfast.
" I come from a hungry family - my mother used to
  count us after every meal. " Bob Shaw
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 14:24:03 -0400

>>>>> "Pete" == Pete Gaden <[email-masked]> writes:

Pete> Hi,

Hello.

Pete> I don't know if I'm supposed to write you direct so just say
Pete> so if this is inappropriate.   It's just that you seem to
Pete> be fielding some answers about fvwm2.x so might just be
Pete> able to respond on my pager problem?

I did see this message when you posted it to the list, but I was
hoping that someone would say "yes, I've seen that" because I haven't.
And debugging problems that I can't reproduce is obviously difficult
(and I have a few of those queued up too).

Pete> I have been using fvwm1.x for a year or so and made the
Pete> decision to go for fvwm2.x about 4 weeks ago.

What version of 2.xx exactly?  'fvwm2 -version' will tell you.  Also,
what OS are you running under?

Pete> Since making the change I have had the annoying problem of the
Pete> FvwmPager dying when I drag windows onto the active Desktop (
Pete> between workspaces seems ok ).  I get the error message

Pete> X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter
Pete> attributes)
Pete>   Major opcode of failed request:  42 (X_SetInputFocus)
Pete>   Serial number of failed request:  6910
Pete>   Current serial number in output stream:  6910

Pete> but I think this is just fvwm telling me the pager has gone?

Pete> This seems to be highly intermittent, happening every 2 or
Pete> three drags most times but as infrequently as 30 drags at
Pete> others.  The pager dies and has to be restarted.   Is this
Pete> a known problem?  Have you any ideas?

Well, now that I think about it I seem to recall some discussion about
something like this in the past...  Hmm...

Ok, a quick search of the fvwm mailing list archives (found on the
official web site - a handy thing indeed) for "pager;X_SetInputFocus"
reveals a note & subsequent threads about this in the past (under
Solaris 2.x).  The original poster claimed that an included patch to
x_pager.c in the FvwmPager directory worked for them, but I didn't
really like the solution at the time, which apparently is why I didn't
include it then.

So, try this patch:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--- x_pager.c.orig      Mon May  6 15:51:02 1996
+++ x_pager.c   Fri Sep 27 13:58:59 1996
@@ -1437,6 +1437,9 @@
        }
       if(Scr.CurrentDesk == t->desk)
        {
+          XSync(dpy,0);
+          sleep_a_little(5000);
+          XSync(dpy,0);
          if(t->flags & ICONIFIED)
            XSetInputFocus (dpy, t->icon_w, RevertToParent, Event->xbutton.time);
          else
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I seem to recall not really liking that fix, but give it a try and see
how it works for you.  If it seems to fix things for you, let me know.
I'm putting it into the next release anyways (it really shouldn't hurt
anything, I guess, even if it's not an elegant solution).

Pete> I tried debugging this but got "swamped" by all the event
Pete> handling which I don't follow too well.

Yeah, it's pretty tough sometimes.

Pete> Perhaps you can just confirm that this DOESN'T happen on your
Pete> system.

That's correct - I don't see this (but then I normally only use one
desk and I rarely drag windows out of the pager like that, but trying
to reproduce it just now I was unsuccessful).

Pete> I'm going to revert to fvwm1.x for now as I'm in a heated
Pete> discussion with the other administrators who want us to adopt
Pete> dtwm ( yuk! ) and my demo is a bit flakey!

Ugh.  Well, I hope this works so you can give them a good demo of
fvwm.  I think (hope) that for the most part they'll like fvwm better.
Also, take a look at the Red Hat under the desktop contest winners
section - someone made fvwm2 look an awful lot like the COSE desktop
using some special pixmaps and the FvwmButtons module...

Hope I've been of assistance.

Chuck

--
*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis Developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

         "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're just havin' a nightmare
             -- of course, we ARE still in Hell." (Gary Larson)
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].