Subject: FVWM: pixmap border patch

From: [email-masked] (David Kennedy)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 12:53:35 +0100

Hi, a brief note about the (very spiffy looking) patch to allow pixmap
borders on windows...

I've been messing with mine this morning and while the patch works fine it would
be much easier to work with if highlight colour (and normal border colour)
were ignored and superseded by a colour chosen from the pixmap being used.
Otherwise the results can be predictably horrible.

But what I wanted to address was a 'buglet' in the patch, when I move out in or
out of a window with two solid colours being used for the titlebar (active,
inactive) the background borderpixmap flashes through causing a nasty
flickering effect. Its not nice! And there is no need for it to appear,
any chance of getting this fixed? (I know its only a silly patch but still...)

-- 
David Kennedy, The Queen's University of Belfast.
" I come from a hungry family - my mother used to
  count us after every meal. " Bob Shaw
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:32:22 -0400

Hi Dave,

>>>>> Regarding FVWM: pixmap border patch;
>>>>> [email-masked] (David Kennedy) adds:

    David> Hi, a brief note about the (very spiffy looking) patch to
    David> allow pixmap borders on windows...

    David> I've been messing with mine this morning and while the
    David> patch works fine it would be much easier to work with if
    David> highlight colour (and normal border colour) were ignored
    David> and superseded by a colour chosen from the pixmap being
    David> used.  Otherwise the results can be predictably horrible.

I thought about this, but of course, if you randomly choose a pixmap
it can also look horrible.  I decided not to complicate things for now
at this stage.  Maybe in the future, or if someone adds this feature.

    David> But what I wanted to address was a 'buglet' in the patch,
    David> when I move out in or out of a window with two solid
    David> colours being used for the titlebar (active, inactive) the
    David> background borderpixmap flashes through causing a nasty
    David> flickering effect. Its not nice! And there is no need for
    David> it to appear, any chance of getting this fixed? (I know its
    David> only a silly patch but still...)

This is really just because of the expose events being flushed
sequentially (maybe I could try flushing the expose events somewhere
along the line, might try this weekend --).  I notice it slightly on
my machine but not at all on the SGI (too fast :). It *always*
happened, even before the patch, but it takes longer to draw pixmaps.
The problem with background pixmaps is that clearing the window
effectively draws the pixmap.

This was one reason I was reluctant to to try this type of thing, but
on the Indy it is really fast though.  If, during development, some
way can be found to speed up transitions, however, it will definately
be taken.  One thing which was speeded up was closing non-transient
windows, but transients still flash the background (still working on
that).  Also I am still working on HiddenHandles for non-MWMBorder
windows.

Take care,
Andy

-- 
Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>        http://www.rpi.edu/~veliaa
Finger for PGP Public Key
Key fingerprint =  51 56 5D 3E 51 43 8B 74  7C B2 E4 B6 84 8E 8B 08
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].