Subject: Re: FVWM: TitleIcons, mini-icons (fwd)

From: Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 09:12:50 -0700 (MST)

This was sent to me via email. I don't know if he meant the list to see
it, but it has a good idea. 

Forwarded message:
> From: [email-masked] (Graeme McCaffery)
> Subject: Re: FVWM: TitleIcons, mini-icons
> To: [email-masked] (Brady Montz)
> 
> I don't know what others think, but if it is necessary to have separate
> pixmap files for large and small version of the same icon then I think
> the way that icon directories could be restructured.
> For example instead of the pixmap path being where the icons are perhaps
> we could have the pixmap path pointing to a directory containing two
> other directories, say big and small.
> 
> then if you wanted an icon in your title bar you would name the icon and
> fvwm would look for it in small. If you wanted the same icon for say
> GoodStuff then fvwm would take the same name but look for it in big. If
> the desired icon could not be found in the correct directory then it
> would look for it in the other.
> 
> The important thing is that icon files have the same name but reside in
> different directories depending on whether they are large or small.
> 
> This could be default behaviour with override possible.
> 
> Graeme
> 
> p.s. perhaps this idea could be extended for other icon categories
> 
> -- 
> email: [email-masked]
> 

Here's my take on this. I've only thought about it for five minutes, but
it seems potentially cool. I admit that it seems potentially unmanagable
as well.

If we did go to having multiple icon paths, then we would not be limited to
just one or two kinds of icons. It wouldn't be hard to enable an arbitrary
number of icon paths (like PixmapPath1, PixmapPath2, etc) and then whenever
you ask for an icon, you could just specify which path you want it from. So,
"%xterm.xpm%" could just mean grab it from the first path, and "%xterm.xpm 2%"
could be the xterm.xpm in either PixmapPath2. I'm ignoring the
distinction between IconPath and PixmapPath for now.

This has the advantage that one could have three (or more) icons for
each window (small for titlebar, medium for FvwmButtons, large for on
the desktop), without changing much code in fvwm. It would probably
require a similar amount of code as a spefic TitleIcon, but be more
general. It also wouldn't require a seperate style. We could just use
the current Icon style, but it would create an array of icons associate
with a window, not just one.

The tricky part is if we want to have fvwm automatically figure out
which icon it wants (1 for desktop, 2 for in the titlebar) then we would
have to have some well known naming scheme. For this, actual names would
be better than integers (maybe: "PixmapPath default /usr/X11R6/pixmaps")
but now we require more code in fvwm.

Perhaps this would be another use for that module which just stores
extra state for windows that I mentioned a week or so ago (I haven't
forgot about that Barry, if you're reading this. I'm just polishing up
my python skills before I start).

-- 
 Brady Montz
 [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 96 11:13:18 +0200

>>>>> Brady Montz writes:

B> This was sent to me via email. I don't know if he meant the list to see
B> it, but it has a good idea. 

> other directories, say big and small.
[...]
> different directories depending on whether they are large or small.

B> Here's my take on this. I've only thought about it for five minutes, but
B> it seems potentially cool. I admit that it seems potentially unmanagable
B> as well.

B> If we did go to having multiple icon paths, then we would not be limited to
B> just one or two kinds of icons. It wouldn't be hard to enable an arbitrary
B> number of icon paths (like PixmapPath1, PixmapPath2, etc) and then whenever
B> you ask for an icon, you could just specify which path you want it from. So,
B> "%xterm.xpm%" could just mean grab it from the first path, and "%xterm.xpm 2%"
B> could be the xterm.xpm in either PixmapPath2. I'm ignoring the
B> distinction between IconPath and PixmapPath for now.

[much complicated stuff deleted]

currently, we seem to have a movement towards a prefix for mini icons:
e.g: mini.move.xpm. That makes the pixmap directory rather crowded.

perhaps convert the mini. to a mini/

or: (I'd like this one most)
hierarchy below PixmapPath:
	PixmapPath/64x64/
	PixmapPath/32x32/
	PixmapPath/16x16/
and some sort of 

IconDirectory 64x64
MiniIconDirectory 16x16

in .fvwm2rc, to choose, which icons to use where. (I prefer smaller icons
than others, even on a BIG screen) 

albrecht
-- 
On the news a nation mourns your unknown soldier count the cost,
  For a second you'll be famous but labelled posthumous  -- Marillion
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].