Subject: Re: FVWM: fvwm: configuring Xresourses of windows

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Magill)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 96 09:49:34 PDT

>Now, if we could get this functionallity into a fvwm-module, the
>usal pop-down menu from the upper left corner could look like

Good idea.  

However, editres isn't always that useful. The builder of an X application
has to make a conscious effort to make an application work with editres.
I.e. the programmer has to stick a function call in the code to get the
application to understand the editres protocol.  I suspect that this is
the case with any application that wants to go fooling around with an
application's resources.  (After all, hanky-panky without consent is
called rape, you know.  I guess you could call that kind of application
"xrape".)  Many applications don't support the editres protocol.

Jeff
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Winfried Truemper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 19:28:19 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, Jeff Magill wrote:

magill> However, editres isn't always that useful. The builder of an X application
magill> has to make a conscious effort to make an application work with editres.

>From   http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Courses/S96/35475/ho7/node5.html

3 More on Editres
-----------------
This program lets you display the tree of widgets, showing their names or
classes. You can also change some resource values in a running program. To
use this on a program, you must change some things.

   1.Add this declaration near the top. 

     extern void _XEditResCheckMessages();

   2.Add this sometime before the end. 

         XtAddEventHandler(top_level_widget, (EventMask)0, True,
                             _XEditResCheckMessages, NULL);

     should be the top level widget. If want to be able to click on popups, do this for each popup also. 

   3.Add another library, , to the , after . I've done this to ==`/-////dept/ecse/graphics/Makefile=. 
   4.Compile the program. 
   5.Read its man page and . 

Get the widget tree on xtext before and after hitting the help button the
first time. Notice that there are a lot more widgets now. 

magill> (After all, hanky-panky without consent is
magill> called rape, you know.  I guess you could call that kind of application
magill> "xrape".)  

Please be serious about this. If I sent a request to a program that
ignores this request but nothings happens it has absolutly nothing to do
with rape. It seems kinky to me to use the term "rape" in conjunction with
behaviour of computer software at all.

magill> Many applications don't support the editres protocol.

Maybe more will if there is a useful user-interface like via a sub-menu of
fvwm. I'm no X-programmer, but the required patches seem to be modest to
me.

-Winfried