Subject: FVWM: call for vote: should menus warp the pointer?

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 96 14:01:42 +0200

I'm constantly driven off my mouse pad, since I tend to start menus in the
bottom of the screen (only tiny patches of root window left).

It's driving me crazy, especially since I'm trapped with an optical
sun-mouse, where you can't use a bigger mousepad.

Who rejects to turning the menu's mouse-warping off ?

albrecht
-- 
from rec.crafts.metalworking Newsgroup:
First make sure that the mount to the lathe spindle is clean and free
of chips - spray with a light oil, wd-40 or (my preference) Satrrett
M1 and brush with your wife's toothbrush (you're not silly enough to
use your own, are you?).
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 1996 09:15:59 -0400

> Who rejects to turning the menu's mouse-warping off ?

I have no strong  opinion on whether  the pointer  should warp  to the
menu title when  the menu doesn't  fit, however, remember, when  using
"mwm" menus, this  could create the  situation  that you would want  2
menus to pop up with the first click.

Personally, I recommend  finding 3 keys  on the  keyboard you are  not
using.  (On my Sun 4 keyboard, I use "=",  "/". and "*" on the numeric
pad).  I bind them the same as the 3 mouse buttons on the root window.
(Except that they are active all the time, not just on the root.)

I also recommend using "&"  in menus to define hot  keys for most menu
operations.

Once you start operating the menus thru  the keyboard, your mouse will
start gathering dust.  Keyboard operation of  the menus is hundreds of
times faster than using the mouse.

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Lars Wirzenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 1996 18:00:11 +0300

> Who rejects to turning the menu's mouse-warping off ?

I do, unless it's made an option. I happen to find it handy,
some of the time.

-- 
Please read <http://www.iki.fi/liw/mail-to-lasu.html> before mailing me.
Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list.

---

From: Marco Mariani <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 22:16:51 -0100 (GMT-0100)

> (Except that they are active all the time, not just on the root.)

I've tried the following:

Key Sys_Req      A      A       Popup "RootMenu"
Key Scroll_Lock  A      A       Popup "Window-Ops"
Key Pause        A      A       Module FvwmWinList

It doesn't work. I am only able to bind F-keys, tab, arrows..

I use fvwm 2.43, XFree 3.1.2F, linux-intel 2.0.18.

All The Best,
 Marco

"The reason we come up with new versions is not to fix bugs. It's absolutely
 not. It's the stupidest reason to buy a new version I ever heard. When we
 do a new version we put in lots of new things that people are asking for.
 And so, in no sense, is stability a reason to move to a new version.
 It's never a reason."

   - Bill Gates, interviewed by Juergen Scriba of FOCUS magazine -

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 09:10:18 -0400

> I use fvwm 2.43, XFree 3.1.2F, linux-intel 2.0.18.

I don't have a linux system handy, but on a Sun type 4 keyboard:

  Key Label    Keysym
  =========    ======
  Sys_Req:     Don't have a key with this label, but between
               Scroll Lock and Pause, I have PrSc which is "Print".
  Scroll_Lock: F32
  Pause:       F21

You wan't to get and  use "xkeycaps". You  need to know the keysym the
key generates.  If for some reason you can't  get xkeycaps, "xev" is a
poor substitute.

Happy keyboarding.