Subject: FVWM: Gesture recognition

From: "Karl M. Hegbloom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 02:56:45 -0700

Have you seen the Amulet GUI system?  They have a gesture recognition
library in it that is really cool.  It can be trained to recognize X's,
O's, and scribbles...  It got me thinking.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/amulet/www/amulet-home.html

 Wouldn't it be neato if you could circle an icon and point to a spot on
the virtual desktop inside the pager, and have the icon go there?

 Or make an X over a window to close it? (in the FvwmPager)

 Or if you could point at the spot you want a window to land, and have
it start there?  Hmmm...  move the mouse into the pager, press a prefix
key, click a spot on the map, then launch a program in the usual way.
(via menu, xterm, or button.)  The program lands with it's upper left on
the spot you clicked.

Linux People:  Why not take the Amulet gesture lib and make it a .so for
many apps to use?  If it's not done by the time I know how, I'll do it.
:)  Could make a good part of OffiX's DND thingy ?

 TkDesk does something like it.  If you set an option, new windows open
at the cursor location.  It's ok as long as you aren't using FvwmAuto,
and move off the new window and have it buried under a larger window.

Idea:  FvwmAuto:  Holding down a key will reverse it, so it sinks the
window to the back instead of raising it to the top.  So it's autoraise
most of the time, but I hold down ScrollLock and it sinks windows.

-- 
Karl M. Hegbloom <[email-masked]>
http://www.teleport.com/~karlheg
(K0D) AYG-GE01  Portland, OR, USA
Proudly running Linux 2.0.12 and GNU public software!
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 96 12:26:32 +0200

>>>>> Karl M Hegbloom writes:

K> Have you seen the Amulet GUI system?  They have a gesture recognition
K> library in it that is really cool.  It can be trained to recognize X's,
K> O's, and scribbles...  It got me thinking.

K> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/amulet/www/amulet-home.html

K>  Wouldn't it be neato if you could circle an icon and point to a spot on
K> the virtual desktop inside the pager, and have the icon go there?
sounds complicated, if you could just pick the icon and drop it onto the
pager location. :-)

K>  Or make an X over a window to close it? (in the FvwmPager)

If you've no titlebar, this could be interesting.
But I can't think of working without titlebar or at least a global
window-ops menu.

K>  Or if you could point at the spot you want a window to land, and have
K> it start there?  Hmmm...  move the mouse into the pager, press a prefix
K> key, click a spot on the map, then launch a program in the usual way.
K> (via menu, xterm, or button.)  The program lands with it's upper left on
K> the spot you clicked.
quite complicated, too.
I'd rather have ActivePlacement and drop the window into the pager,
or use a "StartsOn Desk d Page x y" style.

Dropping windows & icons onto the pager has been requested since - uhm -
ever. How about sombody implementing these ?

K> Linux People:  Why not take the Amulet gesture lib and make it a .so for
K> many apps to use?  If it's not done by the time I know how, I'll do it.
K> :)  Could make a good part of OffiX's DND thingy ?

K>  TkDesk does something like it.  If you set an option, new windows open
K> at the cursor location.  It's ok as long as you aren't using FvwmAuto,
K> and move off the new window and have it buried under a larger window.

K> Idea:  FvwmAuto:  Holding down a key will reverse it, so it sinks the
K> window to the back instead of raising it to the top.  So it's autoraise
K> most of the time, but I hold down ScrollLock and it sinks windows.

If I want to sink a window I want it to happen immediately.
And I would hate to see the window I've benn looking for appear and sink
again.
But YMMV.

I've suggested to give FvwmAuto an FvwmAutoFunction parameter, before.
You could then specify raise, focus, or lower as the function.
(though this doesn't cover your request to switch between two functions by
holding a modifier)

albrecht
-- 
Little ice bear comes up to his mother and asks: "Mom, I'm really an
ice bear, am I?" "Of course you are." So the little ice bear goes up
to his father: "Dad, I'm really an ice bear, not a brown bear, or a
kodiak bear?" "Yes, of course you're an ice bear" - "Absolutly sure,
I'm not a grizzly?" "Absolutely - why?" "Because it's fucking cold!"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].