Subject: Re: FVWM: help!

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Sep 1996 12:07:12 +0200

>>>>> A J Smith writes:

  Andy> The most used window manager here is tvtwm, but I didn't like
  Andy> it and wanted to go back to fvwm.  We can install basically
  Andy> what we like, but I don't have root.  If I know exactly what
  Andy> has to be done then I can probably get someone who is root to
  Andy> do it for me.

A suggestion would be to try installing it in your home directory,
then write down everything you needed to do and tell root to do it
again.

You can change all the directories in the Fvwm.tmpl file, I think.
Only problem is that `make install' will maybe install stuff in the
wrong place.  For that, you have variables BINDIR, MANDIR, LIBDIR and
suchlike, new values of which you can just put in the Imakefile.

Then, there's this problem of Imake not finding mkdirhier if BINDIR is
changed.  Solve this by setting MKDIRHIER to the right thing (maybe
/usr/bin/X11/mkdirhier, or /usr/X11/bin/mkdirhier, or
/usr/dt/bin/mkdirhier, or whatever).

hth,
kai
-- 
Life is hard and then you die.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Sep 1996 13:28:54 +0200

>>>>> Kai Grossjohann writes:

  Kai> You can change all the directories in the Fvwm.tmpl file, I
  Kai> think.  Only problem is that `make install' will maybe install
  Kai> stuff in the wrong place.  For that, you have variables BINDIR,
  Kai> MANDIR, LIBDIR and suchlike, new values of which you can just
  Kai> put in the Imakefile.

As it turns out, the "maybe" in that second line above is important;
the installation of fvwm does NOT require you to change BINDIR and
friends.  Thanks to David for pointing this out.

So, the stuff about BINDIR applies to many other Imake programs but
not to fvwm.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
kai