Subject: FVWM: make install problems

From: Todd Crenshaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 19:45:22 -0700

After a days worth of work getting fvwm to compile on our
Data General AViiON 400's I've run into a problem that I
can't seem to get solved.  I've run into this problem with
installing fvwm and the libXpm lib.  The problem is after
compiling I'll type in 'make install' and I get the following:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
gis1:/home/tocrensh/temp/xpm-3.4g> make install
installing in ./lib...
        .././util/scripts/bsdinst.sh -c -m 0664 libXpm.a /usr/lib
UX:sh (/bin/sh): ERROR: .././util/scripts/bsdinst.sh: Not found
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
gis1:/home/tocrensh/temp/xpm-3.4g>
------------------------------------------------------------------
Now I can see that install isn't finding bsdinst.sh.  That's because
on our DG's bsdinst.sh is in: /usr/opt/X11/bin/bsdinst.sh and has a
symbolic link from /usr/bin/X11/bsdinst.sh. Both fvwm and the libXpm
are compiling nicely.  But I can't get the make install to work.  Can
anyone help me out with this one?

-- 
Todd Crenshaw, Computer Systems Management Analyst, UNIX/GIS Tech.
State of Nevada, Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
Division of Environmental Protection, Capitol Complex
333 West Nye Lane, Carson City, Nevada 89710 (702)687-4670 x3057
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Guenther Grau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 14:32:08 +0200

> gis1:/home/tocrensh/temp/xpm-3.4g>

Hmm, first of all, you can always do it by hand :-) Instlal doesn't do
much, just set the permissions like you want, and group and ownership
:-)

I don't know how xpm configures, but if it uses xmkmf (imake), then your
imake setup ist wrong. It should state, where bsdinst can be found.

But anyway, why not either change the makefile to use the bsdinst with
the proper path, or just copy the bsdinst temporarily to the place that
make searches.

The last and proper solution would be to fix your imake-setup, if xpm
uses imake. You will run into the same problem for every X program that
uses imake and bsdinst to install itself. If xpm doesn't use imake, then
it's configuration is wrong :-)

  Guenther