Subject: FVWM: fvwm: configuring Xresourses of windows

From: Winfried Truemper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 17:52:40 +0200 (MET DST)

Most of you may know "editres", a program to view the widget-tree of a
window.
An interesting feature: you can modify the actual Xresources of a
window with this little tool.

Example: get the tree of a "xterm" and set the resource "xterm.font.vt100"
to "10x20". Voila, the font changes (remotly).

Now, if we could get this functionallity into a fvwm-module, the
usal pop-down menu from the upper left corner could look like

    +---------------+
    | Move          |
    | Resize        |
    | Iconify       |
    | Close         |
    +---------------+
    | Configuration |
    +---------------+

where "Configuration" is a sub-menu with various Xresources (not the
widget-names, but a more symbolic descritption should be presented to the
user). 
Of course it should be configurable which Xresources are
offered/changeable.

You don't like "green" as background-color of your "xdvi"? No problem, go
into "Configuration" and change it. No messing around with your
~/.Xdefaults or ~/.Xresources !

This technique would be a hack, of course, but nevertheless it would
enhance the easy of using X11. And most of the module to be written could
be stolen from "editres", I expect.

-Winfried

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].