Subject: FVWM: Compile Problems on Solaris 2.51

From: Ali Erkan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 1996 01:14:32 -0400

Hi,

I cannot compile fvwm2.042 on a Solaris system. I have noticed that this
has been a problem for other people as well and yet the provided
solutions did not work in my case. First, some background:

compiler:	gcc
assembler:	gnu as
linker:		gnu ld
xmp:		turned off (I do not have it yet)
system:		Ultra 1
OS:		Solaris 2.51

I modified the Fvwm.tmpl so that *everything* that has to do with fvwm
will be installed under /apps/fvwm2.042.

Problems:

[1]	The -xF option upsets gcc; I've read somewhere that this is not 	
fatal; I can also undefine it from the command line
[2]	There is some assembler option that has the characters 92 in it. 	
The assembler called by gcc does not understand this. Again, I
	had it undefined from the command line.
[3]	After the libfvwm.a file has been created, the very first time 			it
is being referenced in a link statement, the compiling fails
	due to not finding symbols.

Possible explanations:

[1]	Did I mess up the system by forcing everything under /apps/...
[2]	Is imake not configured properly. I don't really know much about
<	imake other than the fact that it creates makefiles for X
	applications. No customization has been made on this machine
	as far as imake is concerned.
[3]	???

BTW, I tried many versions (1.x and 2.x) of this package and none of
them worked. 

Thanks for any help.

[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Guenther Grau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 1996 15:47:40 +0200

> solutions did not work in my case. First, some background:

Hmm, I compiled 2.043 on a solaris 2.4 machine without hickups. Only a
two single warnings about const being removed/ignored or sth. like this. 
SunOS went fine as well.

> xmp:            turned off (I do not have it yet)

Oops, what xmp? you ment xpm? :-)

> OS:             Solaris 2.51

Wow, not bad :-) Well, I happen to have such a machine available as well
and I tried to compile fvwm on it as well for speed reasons :-) I tried
xmkmf -a
make
but I got lots of errors during the compile. Then I tried the following:
rsh Solaris-2.4 xmkmf -a
make
and things went great. Lesson learned: The imake stuff isn't properly
set up on our Solaris-2.5 Ultra machine. Compiling an already configured
source tree works fine. I recommend to test the stuff at your site as
well :-)

>         as far as imake is concerned.

Hmm, then this will definitely not work. Try configuring on a host where
the imake stuff is setup properly. You can still compile on the
Ultra-machine of the libs and the include files are at the right places,
i.e. at the same place which is configured on the machine you run the
xmkmf on. 

You have two other ways out:
configure the imake stuff properly, which is not that difficult, but
takes a lot of time.
compile it on another solaris machine and just install the stuff on the
ultra machine.

  Guenther