Subject: FVWM: Virtual desktop

From: Per Björlo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 09:48:27 +0200

Hi!

This simple question has been asked several times before, I'm sure, 
but I ask it again: Is it possible to turn the virtual desktop 
feature off? I don't want the scrolling when I'm closing up to
the edges. It annoys me. I don't use the pager and has the following
definitions in my .fvwmrc file:
  PagerDefault 0
  DeskTopScale 0
I'm currently using fvwm version 1 (I'm not sure about the patch level)

With regards Per Bjoerlo
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Sep 1996 03:30:21 -0500

>>>>> "P" == Per =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rlo?= <Per> writes:

P> Is it possible to turn the virtual desktop feature off? I don't want the
P> scrolling when I'm closing up to the edges.

Any smooth scrolling at the edge of the screen is a function of your X
server, not of the window manager.  Thus any solution will not involve
FVWM.  The answer is specific to your X server and since you didn't specify
which one you're running I can't solve your problem.

If you're running XFree86, just change the or get rid of the 
"Virtual xxx yyy" line in the Screen section of XF86Config.
-- 
      Jason L. Tibbitts III - [email-masked] - 713/743-8684 - 221SR1
System Manager:  University of Houston High Performance Computing Center
                1994 PC800 "Kuroneko"      DoD# 1723
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 08:37:32 -0400

>>>>> "JLT" == Jason L Tibbitts <[email-masked]> writes:

JLT> Any smooth scrolling at the edge of the screen is a function of
JLT> your X server, not of the window manager.  Thus any solution will
JLT> not involve FVWM.  The answer is specific to your X server and
JLT> since you didn't specify which one you're running I can't solve
JLT> your problem.

Unless of course he means that he really doesn't want to use the
virtual desktop features of fvwm, in which case he should either make
the DesktopSize be 1x1 or use the version 1.xx command TogglePaging to
turn off paging from his .fvwmrc file.

Chuck

---

From: Jim Basilio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 08:32:25 -0400 (EDT)

> which one you're running I can't solve your problem.

Is this a true statement?  What about EdgeScroll and EdgeResistance.  
Those switches aren't dependant on the X server.  

For the answer to the original question, look in the manual pages for 
fvwm on EdgeScroll and EdgeResistance.  That will effectively "turn off" 
the scrolling.

[]=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=[]
::   Jim Basilio        Information Center   ::
::                       (814) 238-4311      ::
::   [email-masked]               x2434         ::
::                                           ::
::        http://cac.psu.edu/~jab176         ::
:: ----------------------------------------- ::
[]=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=[]

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Sep 1996 19:01:51 +0200

>>>>> Per =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rlo?= writes:

  Per> This simple question has been asked several times before, I'm
  Per> sure, but I ask it again: Is it possible to turn the virtual
  Per> desktop feature off?

I use this line:

	DeskTopSize 1x1

This works.  (But see the previous mails about the hardware scrolling
of SVGA cards.)

kai
-- 
Life is hard and then you die.