Subject: FVWM: fvwm 1.24r on SunOS-5.5

From: Adam Kornick Wilson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 20:10:04 -0400

Hello,

I am trying to compile on my Sun UltraSparc ( uname -a gives:
	SunOS scuba 5.5 Generic_103093-05 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1).  I do not
have root access on the machine.  I have done the following to attempt
to get it to compile.

1. remove the first 4 lines and paste in the following

/*#define FVWMDIR     "/usr/lib/X11/fvwm"*/
#define FVWMDIR        "/coastal/scuba1/wilson/fvwm"
#define FVWM_ICONDIR   "/coastal/scuba1/wilson/fvwm/include/X11/bitmaps:/coastal/scuba1/wilson/fvwm/include/X11/pixmaps"
#define FVWMRC         "/coastal/scuba1/wilson/fvwm/system.fvwmrc"

2. Change line 16 and 17 to:

#define FVWM_BIN_DIR BINDIR=/coastal/scuba1/wilson/fvwm/bin/
/*#define FVWM_BIN_DIR BINDIR=/usr/bin/X11/*

I cannot get this to compile without XPM support so I am downloaded them
from ftp.x.org/contrib/libraries/xpm-3.4h.tar.gz

3. Change line 58 to:
#define XPM                      
/*  linker flags needed to locate and link in the Xpm library, if you
use it */
#define XPMLIBRARY -L/coastal/scuba1/wilson/fvwm/xpm-3.4h/lib -lXpm

4.  Add gcc to path

execute the following commands

	xmkmf

at this point I get the following error:

>mv Makefile Makefile.bak
>imake -I/usr/lib/X11/config
>"Imakefile.c", line 4: Can't find include file Imake.tmpl
>imake: Exit code 2.  Stop.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  I am really tired of the ridiculously
ugly window manager at work, and would like the same environment that I
have on my Linux box at home.  Please email me directly as I do not
subscribe to this list.

THanks for your time and help

-- 
******************************
Adam Wilson
352-375-8179
[email-masked]
http://www.afn.org/~afn29540
******************************

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Guenther Grau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 02:33:47 +0200

> #define FVWMDIR        "/coastal/scuba1/wilson/fvwm"

looks good

> #define FVWM_ICONDIR   "/coastal/scuba1/wilson/fvwm/include/X11/bitmaps:/coastal/scuba1/wilson/fvwm/include/X11/pixmaps"

Bad idea, leave that where your X installation has the pix- and bitmaps

[ stuff deleted looks ok]
> #define XPMLIBRARY -L/coastal/scuba1/wilson/fvwm/xpm-3.4h/lib -lXpm

Did you compile this one already? If not, do that first. But you will be
into trouble anyway, see below

> >imake: Exit code 2.  Stop.

Anotherone bites the dust :-) Todd, are you reading this :-)

Your X installation isn't configured properly. Ask your sysadmin to do
this. There is almost no way to get around this :-(

One solution, though, find out where your X installation resides.
then try:

imake -DUseInstalled -I/absolute/path/of/X/installation/lib/X11/config

Note that you must be in the xpm (and later in the fvwm) directory.
If that doesn't work, you have to invest a huge amount of time to get
all this stuff compiled by hand. Better ask your sysadmin to fix the
imake setup or try compiling on another station and move the bins to the
ultra.

  Guenther

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 08:40:17 -0400

>>>>> "Adam" == Adam Kornick Wilson <[email-masked]> writes:

Adam> Hello,
Adam> I am trying to compile on my Sun UltraSparc ( uname -a gives:
Adam>   SunOS scuba 5.5 Generic_103093-05 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1).  I do not
Adam> have root access on the machine.  I have done the following to attempt
Adam> to get it to compile.
.....
Adam> execute the following commands

Adam>   xmkmf

>> imake: Exit code 2.  Stop.

Adam> Any help is greatly appreciated.  I am really tired of the ridiculously
Adam> ugly window manager at work, and would like the same environment that I
Adam> have on my Linux box at home.  Please email me directly as I do not
Adam> subscribe to this list.

The Imake config files probably aren't installed in
/usr/lib/X11/config, since SunOS & Solaris systems usually keep that
in /usr/openwin/lib/config, so your xmkmf script seems to be a little
messed up.  Try running imake by hand with that other directory
(assuming your Imake config files are actually located there).

Chuck