Subject: Re: FVWM: FvwmButtons (more info)

From: "Jeff S. Elam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 1996 08:17:17 -0700

Christopher,

Although a few people have responded to my earlier claim that
FvwmButtons doesn't work with libXpm.a version 3.4h saying that it works
just fine for them, I have to re-emphasize the possibility that you're
seeing the same problem I had.  The symptoms are absolutely identical. 
I reduced my configuration to the bare minimum, and it just refused to
start up.

Here is what I suggest:  re-build FvwmButtons with the "-g" switch
turned on.  Try running it.  When it crashes, it should leave a core
file in your root directory or thereabouts.  Use "dbx" or your favorite
debugger to get a stack trace (with "where" or "frame" or whatever the
command is).  If you see that the program is in some "Xpm" call when it
crashes, then you're probably seeing the same thing I did.  My next
suggestion would be to find an older copy of libXpm and re-build
FvwmButtons with that.

I never saw in your earlier mails what kind of configuration you're
running under, but I've got a copy of libXpm.a version 3.4a built for
a SUN Sparc running SunOS 4.1.x which I could uuencode and mail to you
if you have the same configuration.  Just let me know.

-- 
-Jeff E.
[email-masked]

Christopher Greenup wrote:
> 
> Albrecht Kadlec wrote:
> >
> > >>>>> Christopher Greenup writes:
> >
> > C>        I.  FvwmButtons will not load on Startup or Restart.
> > C>       II.  It will not load when called from a popup menu.
> > C>      III.  It will not load when called from FvwmTalk.
> >
> > what does the error log of fvwm say?
> > how do you invoke FvwmButtons?
> > try a minimal config.
> >
> > albrecht
> 
> I'm not positive what you mean when you say "error log," but I have used
> the -debug option of fvwm2 and nothing of any signigcance seems to be
> reported (if that is what that option is for, for that matter).  I can
> make fvwm respond with a few "Can not load FvwmButtons" errors for
> whatever reason, but when I correct the problem, it returns to silence
> and with no improvement.  I have abandoned using config options in the
> .fvwm2rc file altogether and am now using only the *FvwmButtonsFile
> command to specify the file from which I get to do my groping.
> 
> The first time I try to invoke FvwmButtons is at startup with this
> command:
> 
> AddToFunc "InitFunction"         "I" Module FvwmButtons
> 
> then at restart with:
> 
> AddToFunc "RestartFunction"      "I" Module FvwmButtons
> 
> next from a popup:
> 
> AddToMenu FvwmModules "Button-Bar"    Module  FvwmButtons
> 
> I can tell that it tries to load each time because when I purposely
> misconfigure something, it gives me the error message.  The ModulePath
> is set correctly (no symlinks, even).  The config file I am using is as
> minimalist as I know to make it: no configuration options and only one
> measly button.  Although, I have tried it with several options including
> size, color, buttons, location, etc.  Nothing I change, other than
> making it obviously 'wrong' seems to produce any kind of effect other
> than making the error messages go away.  I should note that when i do a
> 'ps' I can see the everything that is currently running in X, including
> other modules, but not FvwmButtons.  It simply isn't starting.
> 
> Anyone have any more ideas before I have to go back to fvwm1.xx?
> 
>         -+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-
>         ][   Christopher Greenup   ]|[  Apex Internet Services ][
>         ][     [email-masked]      ]|[   http://www.apex.net   ][
>         -+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-
> --
> Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
> To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
> message to [email-masked].
> To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].