Subject: FVWM: Some Questions

From: "Richard A. Guay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 11:43:08 -0400

Hi,

I have been greatly enjoying fvwm 2.0.43.  I have a few questions:

1) I believe there is a bug in the multiple desktops.  I have switched to
using only a single desktop configured to be 3x2.  Whenever I started a
FrameViewer program, it would plop the window on the second desktop (which
I can not get to).  I had to move the window from the program list in
tkGoodStuff to the correct pager client window in order to see the window. 
I tracked the problem down to an extra line in FvwmBacker that specified a
command for the second desktop (and I do not even use FvwmBacker).  Once I
removed that line, the problem quit.  This might be a problem for
inexperienced fvwm users once the program is released (which I am assuming
would increase the number of people using it).  Just thought you might like
to know.

2) Where is there any documentation on the .fvwm2rc file options and a
specification for creating modules(ie. module communications with fvwm)?  I
have scanned all of the fvwm WEB sites, but can only find documentation for
fvwm 1.24r.

3) I am assuming that fvwm and modules communications is based on pipes
(since fvwm has to start the program).  Would it not be better to base it
on tcp/ip socket communications.  That way modules could be written that
reside on a different system so not to tie up resources on the current
system (a form of distributive processing. In a slow network, it would slow
down fvwm most likely though).  A socket based approach would be easier to
program from some languages (ie. tcl/tk would not need extensions since it
can work with sockets directly.  Java modules would then be a snap).  This
question comes from complete ignorance to how it works, so please ignore if
it is totally abserd (but let me know where to find proper documentation).

Thank you so much for your time and attention.

Richard A. Guay
Network Administrator and ASIC Design Engineer
ASIC International Inc.
[email-masked]
http://www.asicint.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].