Subject: FVWM: Boarder Colors

From: Todd Crenshaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 16:55:01 -0700

Thanks to the help of Guenther Grau I was able to get FVWM 2.0.42
to install on our Data General AViiON systems.  It's working fine
but the differances between 1.x and 2.0.42 are enough to cause me
some problems.

How the heck to I get the frame or border color to change to what
I want instead of the purple it is now?  I've looked in my .fvwmrc
and can't find anything there to change it.  I also have the FVWM
faq and am unable to find what I need there.  Remember, this is
2.0.42 and the 1.x command doesn't work.

-- 
Todd Crenshaw, Computer Systems Management Analyst, UNIX/GIS Tech.
State of Nevada / Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
Division of Environmental Protection / Capitol Complex
333 W. Nye Lane, Carson City, Nevada 89710 (702)687-4670 x3057
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Guenther Grau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 02:22:50 +0200

> 2.0.42 and the 1.x command doesn't work.

one last time for today, before I go to bed. It's 2:22 am, already, time
flies I I start talking to much ... :-)

do a 

man fvwm2
and then press /Style

and read this section carefully. Have a closer look at the color option
of Style. Other than that I can only recommend printing the whole manual
and reading it. Read other peoples fvwm2rc files (mine says on the top:

daedalus% more .fvwm2rc
# this is a sample .fvwmrc file for fvwm-2.
# Apparantly, you can retrieve sample .fvwmrc's from 
#       ftp://ftp.best.com/pub/tdgilman/Fvwmrcs
# you can also submit your favourite .fvwmrc to
#       [email-masked] 
# if you want to.

Hope that helped,

  Guenther

---

From: "Michael S. Wellman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 20:06:08 -0700 (PDT)

>2.0.42 and the 1.x command doesn't work.

Okay, there is one of two things (really just one) that is going on
here.  There is a command called Style.  When you see Style "*", then
all the command apply to all windows by default.  Except if the is a
Style "whatever" in which case all command here will be run instead of
the defaults.  Color, and every other interface type configuration
runs via Style.
----------------------------------
E-Mail: Michael S. Wellman <[email-masked]>
Date: 09/11/96
Time: 20:06:08

This message was sent by XF-Mail
----------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thomas Leitner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 10:27:33 +0200 (MET DST)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hi,

Well: After finally happily running and properly stopping fvwm-2.0.43
under Digital Unix 4.0 there is only one (well actually minor) problem:

The title of the 'dxterm' (terminal-emulator - DEC counterpart of
xterm) is messed. When I set the title to, say, "DECTerm" it appears
as 

                        1]DECTerm

on the title bar! All other window titles appear correct!

So before I start digging around in fvwm2: Has anyone stumbled accross
the same thing or has anyone a clue what could cause the problem?

BTW: This does *NOT* happen with mwm as the window manager.

Thanks -- Tom

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
T o m   L e i t n e r                       Dept. of Communications
                                            Graz University of Technology, 
e-mail    : [email-masked]      Inffeldgasse 12
Phone     : +43-316-873-7455                A-8010 Graz / Austria / Europe
Fax       : +43-316-463-697
Home page : http://wiis.tu-graz.ac.at/people/tom.html
PGP public key on : ftp://wiis.tu-graz.ac.at/pgp-keys/tom.asc or send 
mail with subject "get Thomas Leitner" to [email-masked]
- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Aharon Schkolnik <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Sep 1996 12:34:39 +0300

>>>>> "Thomas" == Thomas Leitner <[email-masked]> writes:

    Thomas> Well: After finally happily running and properly stopping
    Thomas> fvwm-2.0.43 under Digital Unix 4.0 there is only one (well
    Thomas> actually minor) problem:

    Thomas> The title of the 'dxterm' (terminal-emulator - DEC
    Thomas> counterpart of xterm) is messed. When I set the title to,
    Thomas> say, "DECTerm" it appears as

    Thomas>                         1]DECTerm

    Thomas> on the title bar! All other window titles appear correct!

    Thomas> So before I start digging around in fvwm2: Has anyone
    Thomas> stumbled accross the same thing or has anyone a clue what
    Thomas> could cause the problem?

Yep - at least I think so. I had a very similiar problem, but on a
much larger scale - because I use a Hebrew version of Motif on my
Digital Unix machine (3.2c). I had to work pretty hard, but I finally
discovered that the Motif I have uses something called compound
text. Apparently, the text is preceeded by some additional binary
information - which font to use, which direction, etc. Digital's Motif
knows what to do with this stuff, fvwm doesn't. Apparently, someone in
Japan developed a version of fvwm which handles this stuff, but all
the documentation is in Japanese, and I don't know how up to date it
is, so I rejected this solution. What I did in the end, was to hack
some of the fvwm code to look for certain values (the binary stuff) at
the beginning of strings, and to rip them out. It turns out that I had
to make only a few minor changes in only a few places. I'm not a C
programmer, so if I was able to  do it, it couldn't have been too
tough. If you want, I can forward to you some of the messages I
received on this topic. Also, if you don't mind lousy C code, I could
make up some diff files, and send you those too. 

Good Luck.

--
  The day is short, and the work is great,     |   Aharon Schkolnik
  and the laborers are lazy, and the reward    |   [email-masked]
  is great, and the Master of the house is     |
  impatient. - Ethics Of The Fathers Ch. 2     |
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].