Subject: FVWM: emacs problem solved, somethign else is wrong now :)

From: "Andy J. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 19:24:16 +0100 (BST)

Thanks to those people who helped me out with my emacs problem.  The
eventual solution was given to me by Michael Tiefenback
<[email-masked]>.

For anyone who cares to know the problem was that HP-VUE window manager
gets some of it's settings from it's own secret places, rather than just
the .Xdefaults file.  Therefore, under HP-VUE, my emacs was getting extra
settings that made it look correct, but when I started fvwm, these
settings were not present and emacs looked wrong.

The solution was just to execute "xrdb -query | less" in HP-VUE and look
for emacs-related stuff.  Add this to the .Xdefaults and it should work
okay.

It's probably an obvious solution to almost everyone, and I'm making
myself flamebait, but hell, it confused me.

Now onto something else...

I THOUGHT I'd managed to compile and build fvwm correctly (that is, I
couldn't see any make errors).  But when fvwm loads it gives me the
following error:

[FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module /u/ajsmith/fvwm:
PixmapPath

And then it proceeds, with nothing else amiss.

Looking at my fvwm2rc, I see:

# Search paths for various things.  All are colon-separated lists.
ModulePath	/u/ajsmith/fvwm:

# Pixmaps are coloured icons and have a .xpm extension.
PixmapPath	/u/ajsmith/fvwm/pixmaps:
# Bitmaps are b&w and have a .xbm extension.
IconPath	/usr/include/X11/bitmaps:

etc., etc.

The paths look okay to me.  If I comment out the PixmapPath, no error is
reported.  I did compile with Pixmaps, I did previously FTP and build
libxpm, and I don't think there were any problems with that.  I haven't
yet got any xpm's so I don't know if xpm are working (though if the
PixmapPath command isn't working I doubt I'd see much anyway).

If nothing else, does the error I got suggest that my xpm support was not
compiled in correctly (either in the build of libxpm, or it's subsequent
inclusion in fvwm)??
 
-------------------------------------------------------------
Andy J. Smith            http://sol.soc.staffs.ac.uk/cm4bcajs

Nortel Technology                ESN:  742 2675
London Road, Harlow              Tel:  +44 (0)1279 402675
Essex. CM17 9NA.                 Fax:  +44 (0)1279 451866
England                        Email:  [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Andy J. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 10:55:30 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, Jeff Magill wrote:

> I'd suggest taking the trailing colon off the paths.  Since the colon
> is in the message and the colon isn't followed by another path, maybe it's
> interpreted as part of the pathname.

Well I put the colon there to try to fix it in the first place.  Without
the colon it just gives me this error:

[FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module /u/ajsmith/fvwm/
PixmapPath

It looks like that whether I give a trailing slash or not.