Subject: FVWM: Program crash with "BadAcess"

From: Jerome Audu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 15:00:10 +0200

Hello, 

I've been using Fvwm2.4+ for a few days on SunOS 4.1.3
I compiled it with gcc 2.7.2, xpm 3.4h, etc..

It works fine with all my programs but one of
them (ProcTool) tells this:

> brutus# ./proctool
> Assertion failure, datatype != KSTAT_DATA_ULONG
> Warning: Cannot convert string "times-bold-14" to type FontStruct
> ProCtool, reading init file "/usr/local/proctool/.proc.init" ...
> X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private
> resource denied)
>  Major opcode of failed request:  28 (X_GrabButton)
>  Serial number of failed request:  1595
>  Current serial number in output stream:  1596

But this program works fine with the old "mwm" !

So, what can I do to solve the problem ?? Any idea ??

thanks,
Jerome.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Tiefenback <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 09:37:42 -0400 (EDT)

> >  Major opcode of failed request:  28 (X_GrabButton)

This is a standard failure and is due to an fvwm mouse binding 
conflicting with one built into the process.  It is usually a button in 
the window.  I use 

Mouse 1         W       M       RaiseLower

rather than the system.fvwm(2)rc file.  If this is not in the FAQ, then it 
should be.  I had to find it myself, and it is asked several times a year 
on the list.

Michael Tiefenback

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 09:28:31 -0400

>>>>> "Jerome" == Jerome Audu <[email-masked]> writes:

Jerome> Hello,
Jerome> I've been using Fvwm2.4+ for a few days

When referring to fvwm version numbers, please use the correct full
version number if you know it (see the man page for how to figure that
out).  It is a number like 2.0.43 (not 2.4), and the distinction is
rather important in case one is referring to a bug that was fixed in a
specific patchlevel.  This is not the case for this problem, but
enough people do this so I figured I should say something (I'm putting
a note about that in the FAQ too).

Jerome> on SunOS 4.1.3 I compiled it with gcc 2.7.2, xpm 3.4h, etc..

Jerome> It works fine with all my programs but one of

>> Current serial number in output stream:  1596

Jerome> But this program works fine with the old "mwm" !

Jerome> So, what can I do to solve the problem ?? Any idea ??

You just reminded me of another thing I wanted to put in the FAQ, but
had forgotten about.  Coincidentally it answers your question:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

31) I try to run some program under FVWM, but it dies with an X11
    error like BadAccess.  The same program works just fine under MWM
    or OLWM.  What's going on?

A: The error message usually looks something like this:

   Well, this is generally telling you that there is a conflict in
   key/button assignments.  In your .fvwm2rc you have bound some
   key/button that this program really wants to bind to an action, but
   it can't since FVWM has already done so (but you weren't doing it
   in the rc file for your previous window manager).  Figure out what
   the offending key binding is and remove it from your .fvwm2rc, or
   temporarily via FvwmTalk by removing the FVWM binding (see the man
   page for the Key & Mouse commands).

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps,
Chuck