Subject: FVWM: help!

From: "A.J.Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 15:12:49 +0100 (BST)

I'm not sure this is the right place for this, but I need some help
installing any version (1.24+) of fvwm.

I used to use fvwm on a decstation 5000/120, don't know what version but
it was 2 years ago...  Since starting my employment here I've been using a
hewlett packard series 700.

The most used window manager here is tvtwm, but I didn't like it and
wanted to go back to fvwm.  We can install basically what we like, but I
don't have root.  If I know exactly what has to be done then I can
probably get someone who is root to do it for me.

I'm not that experienced at installing unix software, so I don't know if I
have everything I need.  I just thought, "if tvtwm can work, surely fvwm
will?"

Anybody willing to help?

I still have all my old configurations for .fvwmrc at university, so I
don't need to write those from scratch, though if that version of fvwm is
not compatible with whatever version I install there could be problems.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Andy J. Smith            http://sol.soc.staffs.ac.uk/cm4bcajs

Nortel Technology                ESN:  742 2675
London Road, Harlow              Tel:  +44 (0)1279 402675
Essex. CM17 9NA.                 Fax:  +44 (0)1279 451866
England                        Email:  [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 10:49:48 -0400

>>>>> "AJS" == A J Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

AJS> I'm not sure this is the right place for this, but I need some help
AJS> installing any version (1.24+) of fvwm.
....
AJS> The most used window manager here is tvtwm, but I didn't like it and
AJS> wanted to go back to fvwm.  We can install basically what we like, but I
AJS> don't have root.  If I know exactly what has to be done then I can
AJS> probably get someone who is root to do it for me.

You don't need to really install fvwm to get it run.  It'll run out of
your local directories just fine.  You just have to set up the paths
properly in your .fvwmrc/.fvwm2rc file (eg ModulePath, PixmapPath).

Now, if you do want to really install it, then the directions are all
pretty much in the tar file with the source.  See the new official web
page to find where to get the latest version:

                     http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/

AJS> I'm not that experienced at installing unix software, so I don't know if I
AJS> have everything I need.  I just thought, "if tvtwm can work, surely fvwm
AJS> will?"

It sure should.  I know people on this list have compiled and run it
on the HPs too, so as long as you have Imake installed, you shouldn't
have any problems.

AJS> Anybody willing to help?

I'm sure someone will who has done this on HPs before, if you have any
more difficulties.

AJS> I still have all my old configurations for .fvwmrc at university, so I
AJS> don't need to write those from scratch, though if that version of fvwm is
AJS> not compatible with whatever version I install there could be problems.

The latest beta version is 2.0.43, and the next version will be the
first official 2.xx version (2.1.0).  There have been no other
official releases since 1.24r.  The 2.xx rc file syntax is not
compatable with the 1.24r style, but a script is included in the tar
file that can give you a hand in converting it, plus a list of changes
in the FAQ can help you convert by hand as well.  It isn't (or rather
shouldn't be) that bad.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis Developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

         "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're just havin' a nightmare
             -- of course, we ARE still in Hell." (Gary Larson)
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].