Subject: FVWM: Subject: Menu bug? ( no help, many ideas ;)

From: Hile Tuohela <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 03:06:31 +0300

> I just noticed what appears to be a small bug in the menus.  When the menu 
> title + icon is the longest line in the menu, the title is not displayed 
> correctly.  The icon covers the first part of it.  Can anyone confirm this?

I found another bug in menus. It really isn't serious, but here's the problem
anyway: Open a menu, move cursor over a submenu entry which isn't defined, move
cursor back to parent menu and you see the problem: submenus pop up in wrong 
place and can't be seen all the time. If parent menu is itself a submenu, the
problem disappers when you move cursor over its own parent. Otherwise you must
escape from menus or select something. 

Another thing is what to do with these menu entries which don't do anything. Should
they be shadowed or should they disappear? Anyway we shouldn't be able to select
something that does nothing. I would like to see something like global option 

DisabledShadowing <percentage>

where percentage defines transparency of dummy entries, and if it's zero we don't
even see them. They don't really disappear from internals and if we define this 
missing submenu or function, it can be seen again. I think this breaks or needs changes
to too many things now, but maybe later?

Still one thing: moving with cursor keys in menus sucks. We really shouldn't be
able to go anywhere on the screen with cursor keys and pressing right arrow on
a submenu should open that menu and move us there, not go 10 pixels right. I
tried to fix this one a couple of times, but I don't understand events and X...
this one should be easy if you know what to do. I don't ;(

Hmm, still one thing. I think triangles in menus indicating a submenu should 
go to left side, if we expand menu to the left, also
_________  ____________
|Dummy   ||<| Sub Dummy|
|        ||<| Other    |
|________||____________|
          |Kill Me     |
	  |____________|

Well that's really enough.

	*hile*
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Marco Mariani <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 13:06:25 -0100 (GMT-0100)

On Wed, 21 Aug 1996, Hile Tuohela wrote:

> Another thing is what to do with these menu entries which don't do
> anything. Should they be shadowed or should they disappear?

Be shadowed, unless there is a real need to hide. But this is a
look-and-feel issue, FVWM should give both behaviours.
The problem comes with menu icons: should FVWM provide a facility
to create shadow icons (and how?), or simply use an alternate file
(quite a pain for the user), or both, or none?

I'd like to see color menu items, or at least menu titles.

> Hmm, still one thing. I think triangles in menus indicating a submenu
> should go to left side, if we expand menu to the left, also

Why not make triangles configurable or pixmappable (altough I like them)?

All The Best,
 Marco

Excuse the waste of bandwidth, please send flames to my alternate address
([email-masked]).

---

From: Patrice Fortier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 18:26:44 +0200 (MET DST)

Marco Mariani <[email-masked]> wrote:
> <...>

humm... There are a lot of things to do on the menu entries (just take
a look at the last version of AfterStep if you want some ideas).
I think a good solution would be to wait until 2.1.0 and write the
menu as a module. Then we could add all the things we want (almost :))
without bloating the main fvwm code.

Since I don't really know the fvwm code, I'm not sure if this is
possible or totally stupid ;).

Lokh.