Subject: FVWM: Button Box division

From: "A.R.(Tom)Peters" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 23:45:43 +0000

I am not subscribed to this mailing list, so apologies if the following
"feature" is already known:
This applies to fvwm2
FvwmButtons follows an algorithm to place icons of various size within the
button bar. This fails in some cases, e.g.:

*FvwmButtonsRows 2

*FvwmButtons(2x2, ...)
*FvwmButtons( <whatever> )
*FvwmButtons( <whatever> )
*FvwmButtons(3x2, ...)
*FvwmButtons(2x2, ...)

This totals to 16 units, and with 2 rows, FvwmButtons allocates space for 8
columns. Now when it fills the icons in, it places the 2 single-unit icons
NEXT to each other in 2 columns instead of OVER one another in 1 column.
Therefore at the end, the width is 1 column short for the last button.
Same for 3 single-unit buttons: all three next to each other.
It works all right if the single-unit buttons are moved to the end, but that
is not where I like to have them.

        Any suggestions to a solution, patch, etc. appreciated (preferably
via e-mail):
                Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters  [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 96 16:03:43 -0700

> is not where I like to have them.

I'm no expert but from what I remember, what you would want to do to get the two single buttons so that one is over the other, is to take the second single-unit button and place it at the end.  The reason this works is that it fills in the buttons on a row by row basis, and the single button on the end will fill the hole in the second row underneath the first single button.

Lee Myers
[email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn from others.  You won't live long enough to make all the mistakes 
yourself.  						--Mrs. Murphy's Rules
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't speak for Intel.  Really.