Subject: FVWM: can't move or close windows?

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 12:58:13 -0400 (EDT)

I'm using fvwm 2.0.43, and all of a sudden, I can't move any windows
around, and none of the close, maximize, or minimize buttons on the
windows do anything.

It's been working fine, and it _was_ working fine, and then suddenly I
went to move a window and fvwm didn't respond. Autofocus and autoraise
still work, fvwmbuttons still works, I can click on the desktop to get my
menus, but all clicks on the frame of a window just seem to be ignored.
I've restarted fvwm and still have the same problem.

I exited fvwm and restarted X, and now it's working properly again. I
don't know if this is a bug in X or fvwm.. 

-- 
#!/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj -RSA-3-lines-PERL-
$/=unpack('H*',$_);$_=`echo 16dio\U$k"SK$/SM$n\EsN0p[lN*1#     Joey Hess
lK[d2%Sa2/d0$^Ixp"|dc`;s/\W//g;$_=pack('H*',/((..)*)$/)  # [email-masked]
      "How appropriate, you fight like a cow." - - Guybrush Threepwood

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Scott Lampert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 13:24:30 -0400 (EDT)

I was wondering if anyone has seen a problem with getting tons of
X-protocol error messages while running fvwm2.0.xx under Linux?  I've
determined the problem is definately fvwm on my end; none of my other window
managers exhibit this behavior.  It seems to happen randomly, but it happens
a lot.  This has been happening here since version 2.0.42 (which is the
first version I installed after 1.24) and I haven't been able figure out
where the problem is coming from.  If anyone would have any suggestions on
where to start looking I'd appreciate a tip or two.

	I'm currently running the XFree S3 server with 3.1.2E on Linux kernel
2.0.11 (but the version of the kernel never seemed to matter).  I recently
switched to an S3 Trio64V+ card from a Tseng W32 but I had the problems with
the W32 also. Thanks,  

          -Scott
	  
-- 
Scott Lampert
[email-masked]
http://www.ioa.com/home/fortunato
"Sing the Hare Hare, Dance the Hoochie Koo"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Benoit Champagne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 16:03:52 -0400

===>Scott Lampert writes:

    Scott> 	I was wondering if anyone has seen a problem with getting tons
    Scott> of X-protocol error messages while running fvwm2.0.xx under Linux?
    Scott> I've determined the problem is definately fvwm on my end; none of my
    Scott> other window managers exhibit this behavior.  It seems to happen
    Scott> randomly, but it happens a lot.  This has been happening here since
    Scott> version 2.0.42 (which is the first version I installed after 1.24)
    Scott> and I haven't been able figure out where the problem is coming from.
    Scott> If anyone would have any suggestions on where to start looking I'd
    Scott> appreciate a tip or two.

    Scott> 	I'm currently running the XFree S3 server with 3.1.2E on Linux
    Scott> kernel 2.0.11 (but the version of the kernel never seemed to
    Scott> matter).  I recently switched to an S3 Trio64V+ card from a Tseng
    Scott> W32 but I had the problems with the W32 also. Thanks,

    Scott>           -Scott
	  
    Scott> -- Scott Lampert [email-masked] http://www.ioa.com/home/fortunato
    Scott> "Sing the Hare Hare, Dance the Hoochie Koo" -- Visit the official
    Scott> FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.  To unsubscribe
    Scott> from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a message to
    Scott> [email-masked].  To report problems, send mail to
    Scott> [email-masked].

I do encounter X errors when restarting fvwm with the FvwmButton Module.

Here's an example:
FvwmButtons: Cause of next X Error.
X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  12 (X_ConfigureWindow)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x2800003
  Serial number of failed request:  460
  Current serial number in output stream:  479

Don't know the cause of it though...
--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 			  COMPUTER ASSOCIATES                        CCCC
                  Unicenter TNG: The Next Generation               CC  
			  DESPITE EVERYTHING !                    CC   AA
Benoit Champagne  ift.a	           Main Line : (514) 978-4899     CC  AAA
Tel  : (514) 978-4913		     3090 Boul. Le Carrefour      CC AA A
FAX  : (514) 978-4909                      Suite 300               CAACCC
Email: [email-masked]		           Laval, PQ               AA   A
PLAN : Live Long And Prosper		    H7T 2J7               AA    A 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 15:55:50 -0500

On Aug 8,  4:03pm, Benoit Champagne wrote:
> Subject: FVWM: X protocol problems

I thought that this would be in the mailing list archive.  Does this not happen
when you have something like the pager swallowed in the button bar?

I was hoping that this would be fixed in version 2.0.43.  Is it not?

I have another problem that I think might be related to this.  I use
xscreensaver as my locking program.  After unlocking my workstation first thing
in the morning, my FvwmButtons module is always dead and I have to restart it.

Does anyone else have this problem.

-- 
    _/_/_/     _/  _/   _/_/_/_/   _/_/_/_/_/_/ Robert H. Ford II
   _/   _/    _/  _/   _/           _/    _/    Luncet Technologies
  _/_/_/     _/_/_/   _/_/_/       _/    _/     Bell Labs Innovations
 _/   _/    _/  _/   _/           _/    _/      Naperville IL, 60566-7045
_/    _/   _/  _/   _/         _/_/_/_/_/_/     Email: [email-masked]
                                                Voice: (708) 713-4957
__________________________________________________
|  M R spiders!                    |      |   |  |
|  M N O spiders!                  |      |   |  |
|  O S A R - C D E D B D I's?      |      |   |  |
|  Y I B, M R spiders...           |      |   *  |
|                                  *      |      |
|                                         *      |
--------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Benoit Champagne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 17:14:04 -0400

===>misha21  writes:

    Scott> On Aug 8, 4:03pm, Benoit Champagne wrote:
    >> Subject: FVWM: X protocol problems ===>Scott Lampert writes:
    >> 
    Scott> I was wondering if anyone has seen a problem with getting tons of
    Scott> X-protocol error messages while running fvwm2.0.xx under Linux?
    Scott> I've determined the problem is definately fvwm on my end; none of my
    Scott> other window managers exhibit this behavior.  It seems to happen
    Scott> randomly, but it happens a lot.  This has been happening here since
    Scott> version 2.0.42 (which is the first version I installed after 1.24)
    Scott> and I haven't been able figure out where the problem is coming from.
    Scott> If anyone would have any suggestions on where to start looking I'd
    Scott> appreciate a tip or two.
    BenC>  I do encounter X errors when restarting fvwm with the FvwmButton
    BenC> Module.
    BenC> 
    BenC> Here's an example: 
    BenC> FvwmButtons: Cause of next X Error.
    BenC> X Error of
    BenC> failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
    BenC> Major opcode of failed request: 12 (X_ConfigureWindow) 
    BenC> Resource id in failed request: 0x2800003 
    BenC> Serial number of failed request: 460
    BenC> Current serial number in output stream: 479
    BenC> 
    BenC> Don't know the cause of it though...

    misha21> I thought that this would be in the mailing list archive.  Does
    misha21> this not happen when you have something like the pager swallowed
    misha21> in the button bar?

Sorry did take the time to look in the archive.  I just answered Scott right
away.   And your right, I do have the pager swallowed in the Module.

    misha21> I was hoping that this would be fixed in version 2.0.43.  Is it
    misha21> not?

Seems not!

    misha21> I have another problem that I think might be related to this.  I
    misha21> use xscreensaver as my locking program.  After unlocking my
    misha21> workstation first thing in the morning, my FvwmButtons module is
    misha21> always dead and I have to restart it.

    misha21> Does anyone else have this problem.

---

From: Bill Oswald <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 13:19:17 -0500 (CDT)

Excerpts from fvwm: 8-Aug-96 FVWM: can't move or close w.. Joey
[email-masked] (1154*) 

>  I can click on the desktop to get my 

> don't know if this is a bug in X or fvwm..  

Did you hit the num lock or scroll lock button by mistake?  Depending on
how you have defined your mouse and keypress events, toggling one of
these will cause certain events to be ignored. 

I'm not sure if restarting X will default these settings.  Mine doesn't
seem to but that doesn't mean anything. 

It's a guess, 
-Bill

---

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 18:25:17 -0400 (EDT)

> these will cause certain events to be ignored. 

I must have; hitting num lock duplicates the problem. Glad it's not a bug
in fvwm, just in my fvwm2rc :-)

-- 
#!/usr/bin/perl -i=-/*/~%*~%/~~%/~~~-/*/_/=~~~-/====~~!   [email-masked]
$o=35;$_="$^I-*!=====_!/";s/~/!*/g;s~%~-/ / ~g;$_.='---       Joey Hess
';s/=/__/g;y|*!| \\|;for(split/-/){print' 'x$o--."$_\n"}
      "How appropriate, you fight like a cow." - - Guybrush Threepwood