Subject: FVWM: Re: problem when complied in fvwm2.0.43 in Solaris 2.5

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 15:59:04 -0400

>>>>> "Tuan" == Tuan Le <[email-masked]> writes:

Tuan> Hi all

Although some people think I have multiple personalities, I'm not
usually referred to as "all".  :)

(I think you meant to send this to the whole fvwm mailing list and not
just me, right?)

Tuan>   I'm beem abble to complied fvwm2.0.43 in sunos and it's run fine
Tuan>   but when I try to run it in Solaris it's not running at all, not report
Tuan>   ny error but not running :-(.

Not all SunOS compiled objects will run under Solaris correctly.

Tuan>   I try to complied it on Solaris 2.5 I get stuck with this
Tuan>   error anyone can help .....

Tuan> Undefined                       first referenced
Tuan>  symbol                             in file
Tuan> socket                              /usr/lib/libX11.a(XConnDis.o)
Tuan> gethostbyname                       /usr/lib/libX11.a(XConnDis.o)
Tuan> setsockopt                          /usr/lib/libX11.a(XConnDis.o)
Tuan> inet_addr                           /usr/lib/libX11.a(XConnDis.o)
Tuan> connect                             /usr/lib/libX11.a(XConnDis.o)

Hm.  You seem to be missing a library from the final link list.  I
thought that it compiled just fine out of the box under normal Solaris
systems, so I wonder what's happening here. Anyone out there who
normally compiles under Solaris care to help Tuan?

Chuck

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Benoit Champagne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 16:18:32 -0400

Tuan> Hi all

    Charles> Although some people think I have multiple personalities, I'm not
    Charles> usually referred to as "all".  :)

    Charles> (I think you meant to send this to the whole fvwm mailing list and
    Charles> not just me, right?)

    Tuan> I'm beem abble to complied fvwm2.0.43 in sunos and it's run fine but
    Tuan> when I try to run it in Solaris it's not running at all, not report
    Tuan> ny error but not running :-(.

    Charles> Not all SunOS compiled objects will run under Solaris correctly.

    Tuan> I try to complied it on Solaris 2.5 I get stuck with this error
    Tuan> anyone can help .....

    Tuan> Undefined first referenced symbol in file socket
    Tuan> /usr/lib/libX11.a(XConnDis.o) gethostbyname
    Tuan> /usr/lib/libX11.a(XConnDis.o) setsockopt
    Tuan> /usr/lib/libX11.a(XConnDis.o) inet_addr /usr/lib/libX11.a(XConnDis.o)
    Tuan> connect /usr/lib/libX11.a(XConnDis.o)

    Charles> Hm.  You seem to be missing a library from the final link list.  I
    Charles> thought that it compiled just fine out of the box under normal
    Charles> Solaris systems, so I wonder what's happening here. Anyone out
    Charles> there who normally compiles under Solaris care to help Tuan?

    Charles> Chuck

Check for the -lsocket -lnsl at the end of your link commands. They have to be
there, if not my guess is you have a problem with your Imake setup.

Best luck!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 			  COMPUTER ASSOCIATES                        CCCC
                  Unicenter TNG: The Next Generation               CC  
			  DESPITE EVERYTHING !                    CC   AA
Benoit Champagne  ift.a	           Main Line : (514) 978-4899     CC  AAA
Tel  : (514) 978-4913		     3090 Boul. Le Carrefour      CC AA A
FAX  : (514) 978-4909                      Suite 300               CAACCC
Email: [email-masked]		           Laval, PQ               AA   A
PLAN : Live Long And Prosper		    H7T 2J7               AA    A 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (David S. Goldberg)
Date: 22 Aug 1996 16:35:24 -0400

Regarding Tuan Le's compilation problem on Solaris...

My guess is he didn't build the Makefiles on the Solaris box (that is,
he used the Makefiles from the Sunos build).  That would explain the
missing `-lsocket -lnsl' from the link lines.  The rest of the link
lines should be identical, especially if he uses gcc, so all the .c's
would compile properly.  It does build "out of the box" for me on
Solaris, modulo an edit to Fvwm.tmpl I need to specify local paths.

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]