Subject: FVWM: fvwm-2.x Installation

From: [email-masked] (Arshad Hussain)
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 18:04:06 GMT

Hi, 
I have tried to install fvwm-2.0.42, but it won't. I must be doing some
thing wrong. I have installed RedHat 3.0.3 with linux 2.0. I have gcc/g++ 
2.7.2, etc. 
I have the following questions: 
1. when I type xmkmf or ./MakeMakefiles, it just prints one line 
    is it normal? 
2. when I type make , it starts some nonsense, and I tried to read some of
the fast scrolling text, everything ends with a stop. 
3. Is there an error free version of fvwm-2.x. 
4. Could some one help me install it, i.e. send me a step by step process. 
5. I would appreciate if you could send me a copy of your configure.h and
fvwm.tmpl files. 
I would appreciate your help. 
 
-- 
 
Arshad Hussain 
Email: [email-masked] 
Tel: (516)579-5228
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Aug 1996 12:00:00 +0200

>>>>> Arshad Hussain writes:

  Arshad> I have tried to install fvwm-2.0.42, but it won't. I must be
  Arshad> doing some thing wrong. I have installed RedHat 3.0.3 with
  Arshad> linux 2.0. I have gcc/g++ 2.7.2, etc.  I have the following
  Arshad> questions:

  Arshad> 1. when I type xmkmf or ./MakeMakefiles, it just prints one
  Arshad>     line is it normal?

This depends on the line :-)  My system prints two lines, which
look like this:

mv Makefile Makefile.bak
imake -I/usr/openwin/lib/config

  Arshad> 2. when I type make , it starts some nonsense, and I tried
  Arshad> to read some of the fast scrolling text, everything ends
  Arshad> with a stop.

I think your Imake is broken.  Or, maybe you have made a mistake in
editing Fvwm.tmpl?  I have installed 2.0.42 which works just fine.

  Arshad> 3. Is there an error free version of fvwm-2.x. 

  Arshad> 4. Could some one help me install it, i.e. send me a step by
  Arshad> step process.

Here's what I did for 2.0.42:

  - edited Fvwm.tmpl to my liking
  - typed xmkmf
  - typed make Makefile
  - typed make Makefiles
  - typed make
  - typed make install
  - typed make install.man

  Arshad> 5. I would appreciate if you could send me a copy of your
  Arshad> configure.h and fvwm.tmpl files.

I'd rather not, because this is a *very* nonstandard Solaris
installation -- the fvwm binary is not installed in /usr/bin, or
/usr/bin/X11, or /usr/X11/bin, or /usr/openwin/bin, or /usr/local/bin,
or something like this.

kai
-- 
What's a signature?