Subject: RE: FVWM: Problems with FvwmM4

From: "Trebor A. Rude" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 96 21:51:19

--- On Sun, 18 Aug 1996 21:39:19 -0400  Andy Hoover <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Everytime I try to run a desktop that uses M4 I get the following errors.  
What's up???
>
>[FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm2 
ELF
[FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm2 
è?ýÿÿ?Ä
[FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm2 ?ù
[FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm2 t?ù
[FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm2 Q¡^4
[FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm2 
ë???¡~

>Chris

This is funny.  I just had the exact same problem with FvwmCpp tonight.  
Solution:  invoke fvwm as "fvwm2 -cmd 'FvwmM4 ...'".  "What? I don't see any 
mention of '-cmd' in the fvwm2 man page.", you say?  That's because it's not 
there.  I found it by looking through the source code.  Apparently, fvwm is 
trying to interpret the binary of FvwmM4 as an fvwm2rc file.

-------------------------------------
Name: Trebor A. Rude
E-mail: [email-masked]
Date: 8/18/96
Time: 9:51:19 PM
-------------------------------------

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 09:09:01 -0400

>>>>> "Trebor" == Trebor A Rude <[email-masked]> writes:

Trebor> This is funny.  I just had the exact same problem with FvwmCpp
Trebor> tonight.  Solution: invoke fvwm as "fvwm2 -cmd 'FvwmM4 ...'".
Trebor> "What? I don't see any mention of '-cmd' in the fvwm2 man
Trebor> page.", you say?  That's because it's not there.  I found it
Trebor> by looking through the source code.  Apparently, fvwm is
Trebor> trying to interpret the binary of FvwmM4 as an fvwm2rc file.

That's right, and I admitted that I forgot to update the man page when
I announced that 2.0.43 was ready and included the patch for it in the
announcement, have the same patch for the man page on the 'Latest
News' section of the official home page, and if all else fails the
ChangeLog does explicitly mention this change...

Chuck