Subject: FVWM: Icons

From: Ian MacKinnon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 10:26:08 +0100

Can anyone help with this minor niggle ?
I have 
Style "*"	Icon
in my .fvwmrc file, but for those apps I don't supply an icon for like

Style "TkMan"	    Icon TkMan.xpm

I get no icon, just a small box with the icon title.
Is it me ? or is it a bug

-- 
                       \|/
                      (o o)
+==================oOO-(_)-OOo==========================+
|If you don't care where you are, you can't be lost     |
|                                                       |
|_______________________________________________________|
| Ian MacKinnon               [email-masked] |
| (44) 171 293 1413                                     |
|_______________________________________________________|
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ian MacKinnon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 15:37:15 +0100

Eric J. Betzler writes:
 > On Fri, 23 Aug 1996, Ian MacKinnon wrote:
 > 
 > Didn't you answer your own question?
 > If you don't supply them an icon, they won't show one.
 > Maybe i'm misunderstanding you.
 > 
 > -Eric-
Yeh, in other wm's eg twm the app supplies its own icon. ie I dont
want to create a list of ever app I have, just some whose icon I want
to change.
Ian
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Eric J. Betzler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 09:34:41 -0500 (CDT)

-Eric-

                         ''~''                                               
Eric J. Betzler         ( o o )          University of Minnesota-Duluth 
--------------------ooOo--(_)--oOoo------------------------------------

	"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world
	 without hate.  And I can picture us attacking that world,
	 because they'd never expect it."
		- Jack Handey
WWW:                                     http://www.d.umn.edu/~ebetzler
EMail:               .oooO                           [email-masked]
Telephone:           (   )   Oooo.                       (218) 727-1458
----------------------\ (----(   )-------------------------------------
		       \_)    ) /
			     (_/

---

From: "Eric J. Betzler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 09:49:55 -0500 (CDT)

> want to create a list of ever app I have, just some whose icon I want

As far as I know, FVWM doesn't have that capability.

-Eric-
                         ''~''

---

From: Benoit Champagne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 11:08:46 -0400

===>Ian MacKinnon writes:

    Ian> Eric J. Betzler writes:
    >> > > Style "TkMan" Icon TkMan.xpm > > I get no icon, just a small box
    >> with the icon title.  > Is it me ? or is it a bug
    >> 
    >> Didn't you answer your own question?  If you don't supply them an icon,
    >> they won't show one.  Maybe i'm misunderstanding you.
    >> 
    >> -Eric-
    Ian> Yeh, in other wm's eg twm the app supplies its own icon. ie I dont
    Ian> want to create a list of ever app I have, just some whose icon I want
    Ian> to change.  Ian 

I agree!  I am tented to consider this as a fvwm's bug.  Many apps provide
their own icon, but when iconified using fvwm they never show.  

What I have in my fvwmrc file is the following

Style "*"  Icon unknown.xpm

At least every iconified apps get an icon.  But is surely not the one apps'
default one.  It is, like Ian said, a pain to have to define an Icon for every
apps I'll ever run.

Nevertheless, fvwm is great!  And the Icon are still better looking than in
straight Mwm!!  So that's why I'm not complaining to much...

My two cents..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 			  COMPUTER ASSOCIATES                        CCCC
                  Unicenter TNG: The Next Generation               CC  
			  DESPITE EVERYTHING !                    CC   AA
Benoit Champagne  ift.a	           Main Line : (514) 978-4899     CC  AAA
Tel  : (514) 978-4913		     3090 Boul. Le Carrefour      CC AA A
FAX  : (514) 978-4909                      Suite 300               CAACCC
Email: [email-masked]		           Laval, PQ               AA   A
PLAN : Live Long And Prosper		    H7T 2J7               AA    A 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 13:59:44 -0400

>>>>> "BenC" == Benoit Champagne <[email-masked]> writes:

BenC> ===>Ian MacKinnon writes:
>>> > > Style "TkMan" Icon TkMan.xpm > > I get no icon, just a small box

TkMan.xpm must be in your PixmapPath for the Icon command to find it.
Is it?

BenC> I agree!  I am tented to consider this as a fvwm's bug.  Many
BenC> apps provide their own icon, but when iconified using fvwm they
BenC> never show.

I have several apps running right now that provide their own icons
(Netscape, for example).

BenC> What I have in my fvwmrc file is the following

BenC> Style "*"  Icon unknown.xpm

This is why you don't see any builtin icons.  But judging from your
next comment, you knew that...

BenC> At least every iconified apps get an icon.  But is surely not
BenC> the one apps' default one.  It is, like Ian said, a pain to have
BenC> to define an Icon for every apps I'll ever run.

Ah - the real problem.  Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to
add some way to say "use this as the default icon unless the program
wants to provide one itself".  I'll have to investigate this.

Chuck

---

From: Manoj Kasichainula <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 18:16:52 -0400 (EDT)

> wants to provide one itself".  I'll have to investigate this.

Ummm. My fvwm set up _does_ do this. I use 

Style "*" Icon Monalisa.xpm

to setup my default icon. But when I iconify an application that I haven't
specified an icon for, the application's icon is used, unless it doesn't
provide one. 

_________________________________________________________________________
Manoj Kasichainula - [email-masked] | "Violence is the first refuge
http://dosa.ini.cmu.edu/~manojk/           |  of the violent."
Finger for PGP public key & Geek Code      |     - Aaron Allston