Subject: FVWM: help with FvwmAudio module

From: "James D. Freels" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 15:49 EDT

I have configured the FvwmAudio module in my .fvwm2rc95 file as per
instructions.  I have also tested the sounds I want to play 
independantly outside of the FvwmAudio module.  However, the FvwmAudio
module is not working and I do not know where to start to try and fix
it.  I have also searched the FAQ and fvwm-archive for all references
to FvwmAudio for similar problems.  It seems possible that FvwmAudio
may not be ready for general use yet?

I am running Linux 2.0.12, fvwm2-95, and use a SB16.  Below is the
relevant portion of hy .fvwm2rc95 file:

#------------------ AudioModule 
*FvwmAudioPlayCmd 		/usr/local/bin/auplay
*FvwmAudioDir		 	/home/fea/sounds
*FvwmAudioDelay			0
*FvwmAudioAudio                 /dev/audio
*FvwmAudio startup 		/home/fea/sounds/clink.au
*FvwmAudio shutdown 		/home/fea/sounds/clink.au
*FvwmAudio unknown 		/home/fea/sounds/clink.au
*FvwmAudio destroy_window 	/home/fea/sounds/clink.au
*FvwmAudio iconify 		/home/fea/sounds/clink.au
*FvwmAudio deiconify 		/home/fea/sounds/clink.au
*FvwmAudio raise_window         /home/fea/sounds/clink.au
*FvwmAudio lower_window         /home/fea/sounds/clink.au
*FvwmAudio focus_change         /home/fea/sounds/clink.au
*FvwmAudio toggle_paging        /home/fea/sounds/clink.au
*FvwmAudio new_page             /home/fea/sounds/clink.au
*FvwmAudio new_desk             /home/fea/sounds/clink.au
*FvwmAudio configure_window     /home/fea/sounds/clink.au
*FvwmAudio window_name          /home/fea/sounds/clink.au
*FvwmAudio icon_name            /home/fea/sounds/clink.au
*FvwmAudio res_class            /home/fea/sounds/clink.au
*FvwmAudio res_name             /home/fea/sounds/clink.au
*FvwmAudio end_windowlist       /home/fea/sounds/clink.au

Please help me get this working.

-- 
/------------------------------------------------------------------\
| James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D.  | Phone:  (423)576-8645  |   | L |
| Oak Ridge National Laboratory   | FAX:    (423)574-9172  | H | I |
| Research Reactors Division      | Internet: [email-masked] | F | N |
| P. O. Box 2008                  | Reactor Technology     | I | U |
| Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831-6392 | world's best neutrons! | R | X |
|------------------------------------------------------------------|
| out the 10Base-T, through the router, down the T1, over the      |
| leased line, off the bridge, past the firewall...nothing but Net |
\------------------------------------------------------------------/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Raymond Toy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 11:14:24 -0400

>>>>> "James" == James D Freels <[email-masked]> writes:

    James> I have configured the FvwmAudio module in my .fvwm2rc95 file as per
    James> instructions.  I have also tested the sounds I want to play 
    James> independantly outside of the FvwmAudio module.  However, the FvwmAudio
    James> module is not working and I do not know where to start to try and fix
    James> it.  I have also searched the FAQ and fvwm-archive for all references
    James> to FvwmAudio for similar problems.  It seems possible that FvwmAudio
    James> may not be ready for general use yet?

Sorry, I can't really help you out, but I just wanted to say, this is
not true.  I've been using FvwmAudio successfully on my sparc and
linux machines since the beginning of FvwmAudio.

    James> I am running Linux 2.0.12, fvwm2-95, and use a SB16.  Below is the
    James> relevant portion of hy .fvwm2rc95 file:

    James> #------------------ AudioModule 
    James> *FvwmAudioPlayCmd 		/usr/local/bin/auplay
    James> *FvwmAudioDir		 	/home/fea/sounds
    James> *FvwmAudioDelay			0
    James> *FvwmAudioAudio                 /dev/audio
    James> *FvwmAudio startup 		/home/fea/sounds/clink.au
    James> *FvwmAudio shutdown 		/home/fea/sounds/clink.au
    James> *FvwmAudio unknown 		/home/fea/sounds/clink.au
    James> *FvwmAudio destroy_window 	/home/fea/sounds/clink.au
    James> *FvwmAudio iconify 		/home/fea/sounds/clink.au
    James> *FvwmAudio deiconify 		/home/fea/sounds/clink.au
    James> *FvwmAudio raise_window         /home/fea/sounds/clink.au
    James> *FvwmAudio lower_window         /home/fea/sounds/clink.au
    James> *FvwmAudio focus_change         /home/fea/sounds/clink.au
    James> *FvwmAudio toggle_paging        /home/fea/sounds/clink.au
    James> *FvwmAudio new_page             /home/fea/sounds/clink.au
    James> *FvwmAudio new_desk             /home/fea/sounds/clink.au
    James> *FvwmAudio configure_window     /home/fea/sounds/clink.au
    James> *FvwmAudio window_name          /home/fea/sounds/clink.au
    James> *FvwmAudio icon_name            /home/fea/sounds/clink.au
    James> *FvwmAudio res_class            /home/fea/sounds/clink.au
    James> *FvwmAudio res_name             /home/fea/sounds/clink.au
    James> *FvwmAudio end_windowlist       /home/fea/sounds/clink.au

This looks very similar to my setup, except that I don't have an entry
for FvwmAudioAudio.  (Try taking that out?  auplay should already know
where to send the audio.)  It works fine.  Is FvwmAudio actually
running?  There should be an FvwmAudio process running on your
machine.

Ray

---

From: "James D. Freels" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 96 11:58 EDT

>linux machines since the beginning of FvwmAudio.

Great!  that just means I'm not wasting my time.  I just have a setup
problem somewhere.

>running?  There should be an FvwmAudio process running on your

This could be the problem.  FvwmAudio is not running.  I have just
tried to get it started manually (both from the fvwm popup menu, and
from an xterm prompt).  It said I must be fvwm to start it.  I wonder
if since the process is called fvwm2-95, it is testing for the wrong
name?  Hmm.. looks like a little hacking is in order.