Subject: FVWM: Fvwm / FvwmButtons features

From: Marco Mariani <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 15:06:28 -0100 (GMT-0100)

Hallo!

WRT Fvwm:

 - Is there a way to specify that my FvwmButtons window *never* has the
   focus, not even when I click on it?

 - How can I tell a window to StayOnBottom?

 - May I ask to Fvwm to fill an IconBox in right-to-left order?

WRT FvwmButtons:

 - Is it possible to use both Swallow and Action in a button?
   I'd like to swallow oclock, and have an "xclock -digital" called when
   I click on the oclock button.

 - Is there a way to use a regexp in a "hangon" name? My VIM opens with
   the filename in the titlebar, and I would use "VIM*", as in the Style
   command.

All The Best,
 Marco

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Justin Wojdacki <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 11:07:41 -0400 (EDT)

Exactly what clocks can FVWM2's FvwmButtons module swallow? So far I've 
only be able to get xclock to be swallowed, but I would much rather have 
it swallow dclock (digital clock). My problem might actually be related 
to dclock itself, since my version of dclock doesn't support editres, but 
I'd like to get something like it for my button bar. 

**********************************************************************
| Justin Wojdacki           |  Dammit! The idiots just keep          |
| [email-masked]       |  getting smarter!!!                    |
| http://www.umich.edu/~wos |  			    --Anonymous      |
**********************************************************************
| 		     This space not for rent			     |
**********************************************************************
|                      This space for rent.                          |
**********************************************************************

---

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 12:02:31 -0400 (EDT)

> I'd like to get something like it for my button bar. 

I've got my FvwmButton's swallowing xdalicclock, a digital clock with neat
morphing effects. I use this line to do it:

*FvwmButtons(3x1)       - -     Swallow "xdaliclock" Exec xdaliclock -noseconds -bg grey -fg darkviolet

-- 
#!/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj -RSA-3-lines-PERL-
$/=unpack('H*',$_);$_=`echo 16dio\U$k"SK$/SM$n\EsN0p[lN*1#     Joey Hess
lK[d2%Sa2/d0$^Ixp"|dc`;s/\W//g;$_=pack('H*',/((..)*)$/)  # [email-masked]
                      "He. He. He." - - Herman Toothrot

---

From: [email-masked] (R. H. Wood)
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 11:07:05 -0500 (CDT)

> I'd like to get something like it for my button bar. 

Justin, I've been "swallowing" dclock for a long time now.  Here's
the line in my .fvwm2rc file to do it:

*FvwmButtons - whatever Swallow "dclock" Exec dclock -fn -*-helvetica-bold-r-*-* -14-* -noscroll -date "%M %d" -seconds -bw 0 -noalarm -bg seashell3 -fg DarkSlat eGray &

You can probably shorten that quite a bit and still have it work.
I screw around with fonts because I don't see too well and need
bold lettering everywhere I can get it.  :-\

or should that be 	8-\   		?
since I _do_ wear glasses  ;-)

-- dick
[email-masked]
Richard H. Wood @ Switch Products Division, DSC Communications Corp.
1000 Coit Road,  PB1-1526,  M/S 121,  Plano, TX 75075  214-477-8624   
*** These words are mine; not DSC's. (...They make me say that.) ***
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Justin Wojdacki <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 12:38:16 -0400 (EDT)

I just tried your line and it worked! Thanks a lot!

---

From: Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Aug 1996 10:23:59 -0700

> *FvwmButtons(3x1)       - -     Swallow "xdaliclock" Exec xdaliclock -noseconds -bg grey -fg darkviolet

I've been using xdaliclock for some time, but have a slight problem where if
I restart fvwm, causing xdaliclock to be killed and restarted, sometimes
it won't restart, and I'll have to manually start one. It spits out this
error:

X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  63 (X_CopyPlane)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x2000007
  Serial number of failed request:  8066
  Current serial number in output stream:  8084

I know that I should just figure out the FvwmButtons command that causes a
swallowed program to be regurgitated and reswallowed during a restart, but 
it doens't happen often enough to cause me to be motivated. I'm just
curious if anyone else has seen this. 

-- 
 Brady Montz
 [email-masked]

---

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 14:35:29 -0400 (EDT)

> curious if anyone else has seen this. 

I haven't seen the error, but then I don't pay much attention to that
logfile. However, about one time out of 20, xdaliclock won't start when I
start fvwm. It's probably the same problem you're having..

-- 
#!/usr/bin/perl -i\$q='$q',\$p='$p';eval\$q.\$\^I#\n"#    [email-masked]
$q='print"$p$^I\n',$p='#!/usr/bin/perl -i';eval$q.$^I#        Joey Hess
                      "He. He. He." - - Herman Toothrot

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 14:40:55 -0400

>>>>> "Marco" == Marco Mariani <[email-masked]> writes:

Marco> Hallo!

Howdy.

Marco> WRT Fvwm:

Marco>  - Is there a way to specify that my FvwmButtons window *never* has the
Marco>    focus, not even when I click on it?

Can't yet, although it's on the TO-DO list.

If you want you can put a snippet of code in your local FvwmButtons to
achieve this.  Something like the following:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    {
      XWMHints hints;
      Atom at;

      hints.flags = InputHint;
      hints.input = False;

      XSetWMHints(XtDisplay(topLevel), XtWindow(topLevel), &hints);
      at = XInternAtom(XtDisplay(topLevel),"WM_TAKE_FOCUS",False);
      XDeleteProperty(XtDisplay(topLevel),XtWindow(topLevel),at);
    }
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Although this would have to be modified slightly to actually work in
FvwmButtons.  I use this in 'xlbiff' so it never steals my focus when
it pops up.  Just make sure you aren't using 'Lenience'.

Marco>  - How can I tell a window to StayOnBottom?

Can't yet, although it's on the TO-DO list too.

Marco>  - May I ask to Fvwm to fill an IconBox in right-to-left order?

This SHOULD have been on the TO-DO list, but I forgot to put it
there.  It's there now though.

Marco> WRT FvwmButtons:

Marco>  - Is it possible to use both Swallow and Action in a button?
Marco>    I'd like to swallow oclock, and have an "xclock -digital" called when
Marco>    I click on the oclock button.

I believe once an app is swallowed, all button events get directed to
it, so you can't do this right now.  Probably should make this
possible in the future.

Marco>  - Is there a way to use a regexp in a "hangon" name? My VIM opens with
Marco>    the filename in the titlebar, and I would use "VIM*", as in the Style
Marco>    command.

Nope, not currently.  Use the Class or Resource name instead.

Chuck

---

From: Alan Wild <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 14:59:59 -0400 (EDT)

Charles Hines wrote:
> Marco>    I'd like to swallow oclock, and have an "xclock -digital" called 

This isn't entirely true (sorry, Chuck).

Yes, once an app is swallowed all events do get directed to it, but this
isn't true of the label.  Presently I use the following FvwmButtons
configuration:

*FvwmButtons(1x4	\
	Title		'System Info' \
	Swallow		"xload"	'Exec xload' \
	Action(Mouse 1)	'Exec xosview -cua0 -net 200 -ul -l -geometry 325x325' \
	Action(Mouse 2) 'Exec xcpustate -interval 1 -bg "#a4978e" -fg black' \
	Action(Mouse 3)	'Exec rxvt -fg "khaki" -bg "dark olive green" \
		-fat -n top -T Top -7 -e top' )

This lets me start three different applications by left/middle/right
clicking on the label.  I do wish I could have this functionality
without havning to set a Title, but hey. . . at least this works.

-Alan

-- 
Alan Wild <[email-masked]>           /T\ f/s/c lou95
IT-HSC Consultant       Speed School Student Council        Speed News Guy
http://www.spd.louisville.edu/~arwild01 or ==> ~triangle/ ~spdnews/ ~sssc/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 96 12:23:21 +0200

>>>>> Alan Wild writes:

A> Charles Hines wrote:
> it, so you can't do this right now.  Probably should make this

A> This isn't entirely true (sorry, Chuck).
I agree.

A> Yes, once an app is swallowed all events do get directed to it, but this
A> isn't true of the label.  Presently I use the following FvwmButtons
A> configuration:

A> *FvwmButtons(1x4	\
A> 	Title		'System Info' \
A> 	Swallow		"xload"	'Exec xload' \
A> 	Action(Mouse 1)	'Exec xosview -cua0 -net 200 -ul -l -geometry 325x325' \
A> 	Action(Mouse 2) 'Exec xcpustate -interval 1 -bg "#a4978e" -fg black' \
A> 	Action(Mouse 3)	'Exec rxvt -fg "khaki" -bg "dark olive green" \
A> 		-fat -n top -T Top -7 -e top' )

A> This lets me start three different applications by left/middle/right
A> clicking on the label.  I do wish I could have this functionality
A> without havning to set a Title, but hey. . . at least this works.

well, all MOUSE button events are passed to that app. anyways.
but if the app has wminputhints=off, it doesn't accept KEYBOARD events,
so a keypress is handled by FvwmButtons.

thus sth like
 *FvwmButtons(1x4	\
 	Swallow		"xload"	'Exec xload' \
 	Action		'Exec xosview -cua0 -net 200 -ul -l -geometry 325x325')

starts xosview, if you position the mouse on the xload and press enter,
without the need for the title.

well' it's not pretty, but I use it to have my emacs read my mail from xbiff.

If wminputhints=off also rejected MOUSE events, then your above example
would also work without need for the title.

albrecht
-- 
Overhead the albatross hangs	    |  And everything is green and submarine
Motionless upon the air		    |  And no one showed us to the land
And deep beneath the rolling waves  |  And no one knows the wheres or whys

In labyrinths of coral caves	    |  But something stares
The echo of a distant tide	    |  And something tries
Comes willowing across the sand     |  And starts to climb towards the light
							-- Pink Floyd, "Echoes"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].