Subject: FVWM: Re: Dual Screen

From: Mattias Lindblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 01:00:59 +0200 (MET DST)

> Unfortunately, this is not possible on OpenWindows because it's not
> something the server supports, regardless of the window manager.  I've
> heard of 3rd party servers that provide this functionality, but
> haven't investigated it much.

> On the FVWM side, I really need to sit down and try to write up, or
> fix some of its problems with dual-headed machines.  2.0.42 isn't
> quite there compared to the best dual-headed wm I've used: ctwm 3.3

At my work, we are using a SS5 with _three_ monitors and Xvan. I installed
Fvwm 2.0.42 on it the other day, (just when I was about to puke over olwm 
and twm). Everything is working out fine. I can reccomend this
configuration, it's really nice with such a big workspace.

There is just one small strange thing: when I'm resizing or placing a
window, some of the lines from the grid extends to the upper corners of
all the tree monitors.  I haven't seen this on any of the other wm's (but
on the other hand, I'm trying not to look at olwm :)

Anyone got an idea about what to do? Could this be fixed in 2.0.43?

//Mattias

=======================================================================
8)  Real:  Mattias Lindblad          <>  Snail:  Rydsvägen 256 B:24  (8
8)  Mail:  [email-masked]      <>          584 34 Linköping    (8
8)  Phone: +46-(0)13-260390          <>          SWEDEN              (8
8)               WWW:  http://www.edu.isy.liu.se/~d95matli           (8
=======================================================================

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Boyns <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Aug 1996 16:34:53 -0700

> Anyone got an idea about what to do? Could this be fixed in 2.0.43?

I dunno about a fix, but I experienced the same thing when I used XVan
on my three monitors.  (Solaris 2.5, R6, 2.0.42)

BTW, there's a focus "bug" with multiple monitors (using sloppyfocus):

1.  Have focus in a window on monitor 1 - window has HilightColor.

2.  Move mouse to root window on monitor 2, keeping focus in window on
    monitor 1 - window loses HilightColor but still has focus.

3.  Move mouse back to same window on monitor 1 - window still has
    focus without HilightColor.

-- 
Mark Boyns <[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.sdsu.edu/~boyns/>
PGP fingerprint = D3 28 A2 F7 D1 4C F8 EE  BF 7A 11 54 1C E5 6E CC
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Barry A. Warsaw" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 19:43:29 -0400

>>>>> "MB" == Mark Boyns <[email-masked]> writes:

    MB> BTW, there's a focus "bug" with multiple monitors (using
    MB> sloppyfocus):

Same thing happens with mousefocus.  (didja all see my bug report last
week?  we had a server crash so it may not have gotten out).
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Boyns <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Aug 1996 16:55:29 -0700

> week?  we had a server crash so it may not have gotten out).

Yup, I just found it:

    [snip]
    Barry> There are some really weird focus problems going on here.
    Barry> I hope my recipe makes sense.  I wonder if any of these are
    Barry> related to the general problem of XEmacs sometimes losing
    Barry> focus after a frame delete? You know about this problem
    Barry> right?

I don't think the problem is XEmacs related -- it does the same thing
using xterm and netscape.

These problems make me wonder whether or not fvwm knows that the
cursor has moved to another monitor.  Does it?

---

From: "Barry A. Warsaw" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 17:51:05 -0400

>>>>> "MB" == Mark Boyns <[email-masked]> writes:

    MB> These problems make me wonder whether or not fvwm knows that
    MB> the cursor has moved to another monitor.  Does it?

I suspect it doesn't.  Wish I knew enough about X to debug it.  For
reference, ctwm 3.3 always did a pretty good job with dual heads.

-Barry