Subject: FVWM: FvwmButtons

From: Christopher Greenup <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 01:41:21 +0000

Hello, all.

I have Fvwm 2.0.43 and am having some trouble with the FvwmButtons
module; namely, that I can't get it to work.  I have tried everything
that I know to try, including:

	  I.  upgrading from 2.0.42, where the trouble first arose.
	 II.  copying FvwmButtons from a system that works just fine.
	III.  copying a .fvwm2rc from that same system.
	 IV.  making use of the FvwmButtonsFile command and confining all my
configuration info to that file.
	  V.  countless configurations and geometry (both size and location)
specifications. 
	 
Here are the symptoms:
	
	  I.  FvwmButtons will not load on Startup or Restart.
	 II.  It will not load when called from a popup menu.
	III.  It will not load when called from FvwmTalk.

Curiously enough, when I try to invoke it from the command line, I get
the normal "Must be started by Fvwm" message.  Furthermore, when I
specify: `Style "FvwmButtons" 	WindowListHit` I can see that it is at no
time actually running, as opposed to running somewhere but being
obscured due to some config stuff (at least I think).

In case it is XF86Config specific, I am running 640x480 mode and
virtual, XF86_SVGA server.  And, in case of hardware specifics, it is a
laptop monitor, if that helps.  System specifics:  RedHat 3.0.4.

That's all I know to tell, other than that the Fvwm1.xx GoodStuff worked
fine.  If there is something I have left out, be it more information, or
something simple I can try, I would be happy to offer more info or take
suggestions (please).  

Thanks in advance.

-- 
        -+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-
        ][   Christopher Greenup   ]|[  Apex Internet Services ][
        ][     [email-masked]      ]|[   http://www.apex.net   ][
        -+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 96 15:35:37 +0200

>>>>> Christopher Greenup writes:

C> 	  I.  FvwmButtons will not load on Startup or Restart.
C> 	 II.  It will not load when called from a popup menu.
C> 	III.  It will not load when called from FvwmTalk.

what does the error log of fvwm say?
how do you invoke FvwmButtons?
try a minimal config.

albrecht
-- 
You can shut your eyes, you can hide away
it's gonna come back another day	-- Marillion
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Jeff S. Elam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 08:25:25 -0700

Perhaps you're running into the same problem I ran into (very, very
frustrating), which is that FvwmButtons doesn't work with version
3.4h of the Xpm library.  I can't remember what the error is, but I
do remember that the bugger just wouldn't run, no matter what you
try.  It would, however, launch any swallowed applications before
croaking.

I re-linked FvwmButtons with version 3.4a of libXpm, which I happened
to have lying around at the time, and it works great.

I'm running on a SUN Sparcstation5 with SunOS 4.1.4 and every time I
upgrade Fvwm to the latest patch version I forget about this problem and
it hits me again.  Can this be fixed?

-- 
-Jeff E.
[email-masked]

---

From: michael shiplett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 11:58:53 -0400

SunOS 5.5.1 + X11R6.1 + Xpm 3.4h + Fvwm 2.0.43 works fine.

michael

---

From: Stephen Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 13:34:11 -0700

[email-masked] said:
> FvwmButtons doesn't work with version 3.4h of the Xpm library.  I 
> can't remember what the error is, but I do remember that the bugger 
> just wouldn't run, no matter what you try.  It would, however, launch 
> any swallowed applications before croaking.

It won't? Oh really? Works fine for me.

[email-masked] said:
> I'm running on a SUN Sparcstation5 with SunOS 4.1.4

Same here. In addition, I'm running X11R6.1, and not Openlook, if that
is a difference. (Openlook is frustratingly slow and buggy.)

-- 
Steve Williams
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.  But I have promises to keep,
And lines to code before I sleep, And lines to code before I sleep."

---

From: Christopher Greenup <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 23:41:57 +0000

> how do you invoke FvwmButtons?

I'm not positive what you mean when you say "error log," but I have used
the -debug option of fvwm2 and nothing of any signigcance seems to be
reported (if that is what that option is for, for that matter).  I can
make fvwm respond with a few "Can not load FvwmButtons" errors for
whatever reason, but when I correct the problem, it returns to silence
and with no improvement.  I have abandoned using config options in the
.fvwm2rc file altogether and am now using only the *FvwmButtonsFile
command to specify the file from which I get to do my groping.

The first time I try to invoke FvwmButtons is at startup with this
command:
 
AddToFunc "InitFunction"         "I" Module FvwmButtons

then at restart with:

AddToFunc "RestartFunction" 	 "I" Module FvwmButtons

next from a popup:

AddToMenu FvwmModules "Button-Bar"    Module  FvwmButtons

I can tell that it tries to load each time because when I purposely
misconfigure something, it gives me the error message.  The ModulePath
is set correctly (no symlinks, even).  The config file I am using is as
minimalist as I know to make it: no configuration options and only one
measly button.  Although, I have tried it with several options including
size, color, buttons, location, etc.  Nothing I change, other than
making it obviously 'wrong' seems to produce any kind of effect other
than making the error messages go away.  I should note that when i do a
'ps' I can see the everything that is currently running in X, including
other modules, but not FvwmButtons.  It simply isn't starting.  

Anyone have any more ideas before I have to go back to fvwm1.xx?