Subject: FVWM: Installation under Solaris 2.4

From: [email-masked] (Todd Hurt)
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 15:58:30 -0700

I am trying to install version 1.24r of FVWM on a Sparc5 running
Solaris 2.4. When I try to run "make all", it complains with:

gcc: language F not recognized

Then finally bombs with 

icons.c:27: X11/xpm.h: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `icons.o'
Current working directory /export/home/src/fvwm/fvwm-1.24r/fvwm
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'

---------------------------------
 
Is the gcc warning related to the final failure? Is xpm another piece
of software which I need to install before fvwm? Perhaps someone
could refer me to an earlier posting?

Thanks

Todd Hurt
UCSB
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Todd Tyrone Fries <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 01:44:24 -0500 (CDT)

> Solaris 2.4. When I try to run "make all", it complains with:

If you are new to fvwm and just wish to try it out I would suggest nabbing
fvwm-2.0.42 which is the latest 'pre-release' of fvwm 2.0 and has alot
more features, bugfixes, etc.  ftp://ftp.hpc.uh.edu/pub/fvwm/version-2 is
where to get it.  The fvwm homepage, http://hpc.uh.edu/fvwm (I think)
documents some known solaris buglets that are easy fixes.  Many people
(including myself) have had little problems after reading the above mentioned
fixes compiling it on solaris 2.4 or 2.5.

> gcc: language F not recognized

Solaris's cc compiler uses '-xF' and '-x04' as optimization flags.  gcc,
however, knows nothing of the command line option, and hence complains, but
it is a harmless complaint, as gcc will still compile.

> icons.c:27: X11/xpm.h: No such file or directory

If you don't want to have color pixmaps, just edit the configuration file
(was it Imakefile back in 1.24r?  It has been so long I forget.., in 2.xx
 it is Fvwm.tmpl)..and comment out '#define XPM' ... it is documented in
 the configuration file, then run 'MakeMakefiles'...

If you would like to have color pixmaps, then you need to grab and compile
the xpm library.  I forget if it is pointed to by the fvwm homepage, but it
is on ftp.x.org and many public ftp sites under the X11 subdirectories.
 
> could refer me to an earlier posting?

If you look at the fvwm homepage, there are searchable archives of the
mailing list at your service.

--
Todd Fries .. [email-masked]