Subject: FVWM: FvwmIconMan Help

From: Andrew Jaffe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 15:03:53 -0400

Hi Folks,

I'd like to use FvwmIconMan (or WinList, but I don't think that will
work) for the following:

I use 3x2 page desktop with a lot of Emacs windows floating around on
various pages. I can make an icon manager with only the emacs
windows. I'd really like to be able to both of the following actions
(i.e., with different mouse buttons):

 - uniconify the window if necessary and switch to the page it's on.
 - uniconify the window but have it pop up on the current page

Ideally, I'd like to have the button iconify the window if and only if
it's got focus on the current page, as well.

Is any of this possible?

Thanks,

Andrew
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Jul 1996 13:43:54 -0700

>  - uniconify the window if necessary and switch to the page it's on.

I think that you can do this by making a fvwm function to uniconify
the window, and then either warp the cursor to that window, or set the 
focus to that window. The Focus function will switch to the page the window's
on I believe. 

>  - uniconify the window but have it pop up on the current page

The StickyIcon style flag might do this for you.

> it's got focus on the current page, as well.

Well, you can bind a key or button event to iconify whichever window has the
focus, which is kinda similar. Also can make an fvwm binding to a key so that
it sends the appropriate command to FvwmIconMan to iconify the focused window
- that way it'll work wherever your mouse is (and it's hard to pass a key
event to FvwmIconMan unless it's got the focus). Don't see any way to do
exactly what you ask though. 

Also, I don't know if this addresses any problem you want to solve, but
since all your questions are page related, if you haven't checked out 
FvwmIconMan's resolution flag, it might be handy.