Subject: FVWM: libfvwm - Why not a shared object library?

From: "Karl M. Hegbloom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 12:12:37 -0700

Is there any reason why libfvwm is not implememented as a shared
object on OS's that have them, such as Linux?  Seems like all it would
take would be to use some #ifdef's in the .tmpl file, and add the Imake
rules for shared libraries inside them.

 I will pick up the O'Reily Nutshell Imake book next month if my
student budget permits, and look into doing that.  Maybe I can provide
a patch; that is, if I can figure out how to do it without spoiling
FVWM's makeability on OS's without shared libraries.

-- 
Karl M. Hegbloom <[email-masked]>
http://www.teleport.com/~karlheg
(K0D) AYG-GE01  Portland, OR, USA
Proudly running Linux 2.0.6 and GNU public software!
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Alan Shutko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 14:28:46 -0500

>>>>> "KMH" == Karl M Hegbloom <[email-masked]> writes:

KMH>  I will pick up the O'Reily Nutshell Imake book next month if my
KMH> student budget permits, and look into doing that.  Maybe I can
KMH> provide a patch; that is, if I can figure out how to do it
KMH> without spoiling FVWM's makeability on OS's without shared
KMH> libraries.

I know that Imake knows how to make shared libraries on systems that
support them.  There's probably some flag, so you could tell it to
make normal libraries and a shared if supported, then just do a
-Ldirectory -lfvwm, and it should do the right thing.

--
Alan Shutko <[email-masked]> - The Few, the Proud, the Remaining.
Sissies are too scared to use the Real Telix
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Karl M. Hegbloom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 13:13:46 -0700

>>>>> "Alan" == Alan Shutko <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>>> "KMH" == Karl M Hegbloom <[email-masked]> writes:
    KMH> I will pick up the O'Reily Nutshell Imake book next month if
    KMH> my student budget permits, and look into doing that.  Maybe I
    KMH> can provide a patch; that is, if I can figure out how to do
    KMH> it without spoiling FVWM's makeability on OS's without shared
    KMH> libraries.

    Alan> I know that Imake knows how to make shared libraries on
    Alan> systems that support them.  There's probably some flag, so
    Alan> you could tell it to make normal libraries and a shared if
    Alan> supported, then just do a -Ldirectory -lfvwm, and it should
    Alan> do the right thing.

 Ya, that's what I figure.  I will look into it next month when I can
afford the book, if it turns out I still need it.  I've UTSL'd some of
the Imake files, and found an article in the X journal that led to
some free information...  I have the doc files along with X11R6.1, but
havn't read them all yet.  Right now I'm busy learning Scheme, really
into it, and not wanting to take the parenthetical of Imake just now.

---

From: John Gotts <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 10:57:34 -0400

>FVWM's makeability on OS's without shared libraries.

A while ago I was playing with the latest version of xmille (not available
by FTP anymore since the X Consortium removed the directory it was residing
in), which uses the XKw library.  I managed to write an Imakefile that
generated a Makefile that created shared libraries.  I believe the
implementation I used is portable (I used the Imakefile from Xaw3d as an
example), so it should work on all platforms that have imake configured
properly.  Of course, it _should_ be a trivial matter to convert fvwm's
Imakefile, but I haven't looked at it in a long time...

I don't have the source here at work, but I can take a look when I go home
today.  E-mail me if you're interested.

--
John GOTTS <[email-masked]> http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~jgotts
  Intern, Powertrain Control Systems, Scientific Research Labs, Ford Motor Co.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].