Subject: FVWM: "exclusive open failed.."

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 14:47:51 -0400 (EDT)

I'm trying to set up a diskless client to run fvwm2. My fvwm2rc uses
fvwmM4. I already have fvwm running on the server, and when I try to start
it on the client, I get this error, and fvwm never comes up, I'm just
stuck with the grey X screen:

"exclusive open for tmp_name failed in m4_defs: Permission denied"

If I run startx as root, I don't get the error, and fvwm comes up fine.

Anyone know what could be causing this error? 

Maybe a bit of detail on how I have the diskless client set up might be in
order. Both client and server are running linux. The diskless client
mounts server:/ as it's root filesystem via nfs. I'm using a kernel patch
called transname-patch that lets the client and server have different
config files, even though they are both mounting the same filesystem as
their root filesystem. (I won't go into the details here..)

-- 
#!/bin/sh # Root in 30 seconds or less. Fix this hole; upgrade to perl 5.003!
a=~/Im_root;echo -e '#!/usr/bin/suidperl -U\n#                Joey Hess
$>=$<=0;exec"/bin/bash"'>$a;chmod 2755 $a;$a #            [email-masked]
                      "He. He. He." - - Herman Toothrot

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Dan Astoorian)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 16:58:34 -0400 (EDT)

The Utopia Oracle has pondered Joey Hess's question deeply.

> Anyone know what could be causing this error? 

Check the permissions on your /tmp/ directory.  Do you have write
permission?

--                          People shouldn't think that it's better to have
Dan Astoorian               loved and lost than never loved at all.  It's
http://www.utopia.csas.com  not, it's better to have loved and won.  All
[email-masked]       the other options really suck.    --Dan Redican
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jim Nicholson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 15:06:59 -0400 (EDT)

> "exclusive open for tmp_name failed in m4_defs: Permission denied"

I have a similar problem with v1.24r using M4 on my linux workstation. It
works fine, except that the first person to log via XDM _after_ a root
login always gets the "system.fvwmrc" file. When I check /tmp, I find that
there's a fvwmrcM4xxx (or some such - not sure of the name) that is owned
by root.

Suspect that that M4 processing stuff isn't cleaning up after itself after
a session ends. Could be fixed by wiping /tmp after each session ends, I
suppose. I just live with it.

> nx