Subject: FVWM: 2.0.43: success report

From: Romano Giannetti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 18:26:48 +0200 (MET DST)

OK Chuck! 

   I compiled 43 on Linux. Clean out of the box (only FvwmConsole
does not work). And the Good News are that it seems that the nasty 
race condition bugs (menu disappearing and cursor stick to the "bullet" 
state) are gone. Well, I have not tested it under stress, but fdesign 
from xform (that triggered the bug almost everytime) now works like
a charm.

   Goooooood! 

   Bye,
         Romano.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Romano Giannetti     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione 
Researcher               Elettronica Informatica Telecomunicazioni
[email-masked]      University of Pisa
------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 13:43:35 -0400 (EDT)

> from xform (that triggered the bug almost everytime) now works like

Let me chime in here.. I compiled it under linux, and made some RPMs of it
which I've uploaded to ftp.redhat.com. No problems at all, except
fvwmconsole.

I hope that bug that made the cursor stay a bullet is gone for good!

-- 
#!/usr/bin/perl -pl-                                      ,,ep) ayf >|)nj,,
$_=reverse lc$_;s@"@''@g;y/[]{A-R}<>()a-y1-9,!.?`'/][}        Joey Hess
{><)(eq)paj6y!fk7wuodbjsfn^mxhl5Eh29L86`i'%,/;s@k@>|@g#   [email-masked]
                      "He. He. He." - - Herman Toothrot

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 14:08:30 -0400

>>>>> "RG" == Romano Giannetti <[email-masked]> writes:

RG> OK Chuck!

Hello Romano!

RG>    I compiled 43 on Linux. Clean out of the box

And there was much rejoicing!

RG> (only FvwmConsole does not work).

Which is why I made that 'extras' directory.  I have to think more
about how to properly build & install FvwmConsole.  Plus the current
version doesn't work on some platforms, I believe.  When those are
solved I'll move it back into the modules directory.

As a side note, Toshi has a newer version for me that works better and
on more (all?)  platforms, but he no longer is at that same email
address and has limited access so I haven't heard back from him yet.
I hope to get that newer verson in 2.1.0.

RG> And the Good News are that it seems that the nasty race condition
RG> bugs (menu disappearing and cursor stick to the "bullet" state)
RG> are gone. Well, I have not tested it under stress, but fdesign
RG> from xform (that triggered the bug almost everytime) now works
RG> like a charm.

Yup, that problem is "fixed" (thanks to a change that Rob suggested
that I had forgotten about but luckily someone else on the list,
having difficulties remembering who right now, reminded me of).  I
have "fixed" in quotes because I'm not overly crazy about the fix, but
it'll work for now and I'll investigate different solutions later as I
can.

And speaking of race condition bugs, I think I'll have the problem w/
some windows that were started in the .xinitrc before fvwm not getting
style conditions at startup that some people see solved for 2.1.0.  I
know what the problem is, I just have to figure out the best way to
attack it without breaking anything else (and I think I have an
acceptable, safe solution in mind right now).  I may post a patch for
it early for people to test.

RG>    Goooooood!

Does my heart good to hear reports like this...  :)

Later,
Chuck

---

From: [email-masked] (Ray Curtis)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 14:11:50 -0400

>>>>> "JH" == Joey Hess <[email-masked]> writes:

    >> from xform (that triggered the bug almost everytime) now works like

    JH> Let me chime in here.. I compiled it under linux, and made some RPMs of it
    JH> which I've uploaded to ftp.redhat.com. No problems at all, except
    JH> fvwmconsole.

The only problem I found with your RPM was that the audio doesn't work
correctly along with fvwmconsole. On 42 there was a patch to fix this
audio problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
This life is a test.  It is only a test.  Had this been an actual life,
you would have received further instructions as to what to do and where
to go.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
		Linux Host 'RAY'
		[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Scot Needy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 14:27:06 -0400 (EDT)

Hello All;

 Just loaded fvwm2 out of the box. No changes!

W-Manager:

 fvwm2 -version
 [FVWM][main]:  Fvwm Version 2.0.43 compiled on Jul 10 1996 at 14:14:19

Box:

 OSF1 finch.engrs.infi.net V3.2 41.64 alpha

Works Great!

Scot

---

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 15:15:53 -0400 (EDT)

> correctly along with fvwmconsole. On 42 there was a patch to fix this

I don't use fvwmaudio, and I only did minimal testing on the rpm before I
put it out. I've been off the fvwm mailing list for a while, and I think I
missed that patch. Could someone send it to me?

-- 
#!/usr/bin/perl -i\$q='$q',\$p='$p';eval\$q.\$\^I#\n"#    [email-masked]
$q='print"$p$^I\n',$p='#!/usr/bin/perl -i';eval$q.$^I#        Joey Hess
                      "He. He. He." - - Herman Toothrot