Subject: FVWM: What next?

From: "Richard Soubyran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 12:49:49 -0400

Hello FVWM'ers!

I have an SGI Indy running IRIX 5.3 I have compiled fvwm 2 on it and everything
went fine!

I ran the make install to install the whole package... but after that... what
should I do next? I already have 4Dwm running. Do I need to play with the
different xdm files? How do I disable the 4Dwm and set up the fvwm running
instead? Will I still be able to open xwsh shells in fvwm?

Please any help would really be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Richard Soubyran
[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: John Bartoszewski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 10:53:44 -0600 (MDT)

> instead? 

Usually the window manager is started in the user's .xinitrc

Instead of starting 4Dwm, run fvwm.

>Will I still be able to open xwsh shells in fvwm?

I had trouble running xwsh in fvwm 1.24, don't know if it was
fixed when fvwm2.* came out or not. 

Good luck,
John
-- 
John Bartoszewski               +" "Lay on, Macduff,
University of Alberta           | And damn'd be him that first cries, 
Computing Science Instructional +                           'Hold, enough!' "
Laboratory System's Admin.      | Billy Shakespeare, Macbeth
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Emilio Lopes)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 96 17:03 EST

>>>>> "RS" == Richard Soubyran <[email-masked]> wrote:

RS> I ran the make install to install the whole package... but after
RS> that... what should I do next? I already have 4Dwm running. Do I
RS> need to play with the different xdm files? How do I disable the
RS> 4Dwm and set up the fvwm running instead? Will I still be able to
RS> open xwsh shells in fvwm?

The best thing to do is to have a ~/.xinitrc that does something like
this (copy the system.xinitrc that is somewhere in your file system to
your home dir):

#---------------------------------------------------------------------
# Some other commands that loads X resource or setup the keyboard, but
# none that starts any application!
xsm
#---------------------------------------------------------------------

"xsm" is the X session manager. With it you can have some configured
sessions and choose one of them via a menu at startup. See xsm(1).

Or, if you prefer something simpler, take a ~/.xinitrc like this:

#---------------------------------------------------------------------
# Some other commands that loads X resource or setup the keyboard.
fvwm2 &
xterm
#---------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, as xterm is your last application, you can safelly quit the
window manager and start another from the menu (fvwm) or from the
xterm. You have to do a "logout" at the xterm to quit your session.

Hope this helps.

Emilio.

-- 
                 Emilio C. Lopes <mailto:[email-masked]>
               Instituto de Fisica da Universidade de Sao Paulo
             Caixa Postal 66318, 05389-970 Sao Paulo - SP, BRAZIL
              Phone: (+55) (11) 818-6724 (Voice) / 818-6715 (Fax)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Benoit Champagne)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 16:14:00 -0400

===>Richard Soubyran writes:

    Richard> Hello FVWM'ers!  I have an SGI Indy running IRIX 5.3 I have
    Richard> compiled fvwm 2 on it and everything went fine!

    Richard> I ran the make install to install the whole package... but after
    Richard> that... what should I do next? I already have 4Dwm running. Do I
    Richard> need to play with the different xdm files? How do I disable the
    Richard> 4Dwm and set up the fvwm running instead? Will I still be able to
    Richard> open xwsh shells in fvwm?

    Richard> Please any help would really be appreciated!

    Richard> Thanks in advance,

    Richard> Richard Soubyran [email-masked]

Here's how I did it on our Sparcs.  Modify the xdm's Xsession and
Xresources files as follow:

Xresources:
==========
xlogin*login.translations: #override\
	Ctrl<Key>R: abort-display()\n\
	<Key>F1: set-session-argument(failsafe) finish-field()\n\
	Ctrl<Key>Return: set-session-argument(failsafe) finish-field()\n\
	Alt<Key>Return: set-session-argument(Fvwm95) finish-field()\n\
	<Key>Return: set-session-argument() finish-field()

------  End  ------

Xsession:
========
#!/bin/sh
# $XConsortium: Xsession,v 1.7 92/08/06 11:08:14 gildea Exp $

# environment variables that this shell script sets/changes:
export DISPLAY HELPPATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export MANPATH NOSUNVIEW OPENWINHOME PATH XFILESEARCHPATH
export MOTIFHOME UIDPATH XMBINDDIR
export LANGUE LOGNAME

( many lines removed ... )

# Set default window manager
WM=mwm
case $# in
1)
	case $1 in
	failsafe)
		exec xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0
		;;
	Fvwm95)
		WM=fvwm95-2
	esac
esac

startup=$HOME/.xinitrc
resources=$HOME/.Xresources

if [ -f $startup ]; then
	exec /bin/sh $startup
else
	if [ -f $resources ]; then
		xrdb -load $resources
	fi

	xrdb -merge -nocpp $HOME/.OWdefaults

	if [ -x $HOME/.openwin-init ]; then
		$HOME/.openwin-init
	fi

	# Set background color
	xsetroot -solid SteelBlue3
	xterm -geometry 80x24+0+0 -ls -name "Login Shell" &
	xconsole -geometry 480x130-0-0 -daemon 
	exec $WM
#	exec olwm
fi
----------  End  -----------

Bonne Journée
--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 			  COMPUTER ASSOCIATES                        CCCC
                  Unicenter TNG: The Next Generation               CC  
			  DESPITE EVERYTHING !                    CC   AA
Benoit Champagne  ift.a	           Main Line : (514) 978-4899     CC  AAA
Tel  : (514) 978-4913		     3090 Boul. Le Carrefour      CC AA A
FAX  : (514) 978-4909                      Suite 300               CAACCC
Email: [email-masked]		           Laval, PQ               AA   A
PLAN : Live Long And Prosper		    H7T 2J7               AA    A 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: kendrick vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 19:47:08 -0400 (EDT)

> instead? Will I still be able to open xwsh shells in fvwm?

well, now you just have to have X start fvwm for you instead of 4Dwm...
create a file in your home directory called .xsession (make sure it's
executable) and in the file, run the program. Also make sure you have a
.fvwm2rc file in your home directory as well (like a copy of the default
one).
			-peace

--====----====----=== http://www.fiu.edu/~kvarga01 ===----====----====--

-- IRC : Drama -- This Space Intentionally Left Blank - [email-masked] --

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 11:56:14 +0100

On Thu, 18 Jul 1996 12:49:49 -0400
Richard Soubyran <[email-masked]> 
> instead? Will I still be able to open xwsh shells in fvwm?

Richard

On the SGIs the Xserver is already running. When you "log in" at the
login box you are actually running an xdm "session". As the session
starts a script called /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession is run. This looks for a
file called $HOME/.xsession and runs that if it exists. The first time you
use a .xsession file you will be prompted with a dialog box. Just click
OK (or Continue, can't remember which).

Your .xsession should start clients, window manager, etc. I have a couple
of examples below which also run your .profile, for sh, bash users. You'll
have to hack this if you have csh as your login shell. I like to
run the .profile so that all clients inherit environment variables
(remember this is a "session", not a "login").

I recommend you get the "xsession" program which allows you to manage
your session, change window managers on the fly, etc. Should be available
at your local x.org mirror (I can probably get you an Irix 5.3 binary if
you have trouble). If you get it the following .xsession would be suitable:

######################################################################
## run user's Xdefaults
if [ -f ${HOME}/.Xdefaults ] ; then
  xrdb -load ${HOME}/.Xdefaults
fi

## source system profile
if [ -f /etc/profile ] ; then
  . etc/profile
fi

## source user's profile 
if [ -f ${HOME}/.profile ] ; then
  . ${HOME}/.profile
fi

## Clear root window
xsetroot -def                       

## START CLIENTS HERE
## These must run in the background. 

##  start an xterm and any other clients here 
xterm &

## xsession now takes over management of the session. This must come
## last. Quit xsession to quit X. 
xsession -defaultWM fvwm2
######################################################################

If you don't have xsession, use this:

######################################################################
## run user's Xdefaults
if [ -f ${HOME}/.Xdefaults ] ; then
  xrdb -load ${HOME}/.Xdefaults
fi

## source system profile
if [ -f /etc/profile ] ; then
  . etc/profile
fi

## source user's profile 
if [ -f ${HOME}/.profile ] ; then
  . ${HOME}/.profile
fi

## Clear root window
xsetroot -def

## start window manager
fvwm2 & wmpid=$!

## START CLIENTS HERE
## These must run in the background. 

##  start an xterm and any other clients here 
xterm &

## wait for the wm to exit, i.e. quitting fvwm will exit the X session
wait $wmpid
######################################################################

A really minimal .xsession would be:

######################################################################
xterm &
fvwm2
######################################################################

Make sure you have a file ${HOME}/.fvwm2rc, otherwise fvwm2 won't run.
Just copy the system.fvwm2rc supplied.

Ric

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Richard J. Lister    [email-masked] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Research Assistant, Neural Computing Research Group
                  Aston University, Birmingham B4 7ET, UK
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.ncrg.aston.ac.uk/~listerrj/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].