Subject: FVWM: Dual Screen

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 22:06:11 +0200

Hi,

I intend to use two monitors and two graphic adapters with a SUN Sparcstation 5 
(TurboGXPlus graphics adapter). The first tests I did with CDE wm (shudder...), 
revealed that I cannot move a window from one monitor to another and that a 
window cannot reside partly on monitor one and partly on monitor two.

I wonder whether this is a problem of TurboGXPlus, X or CDE wm. Since I do not 
believe in CDE wm at all :-) and since I am quite a fan of fvwm, I still hope 
that at least moving a window from one monitor to another is possible with 
fvwm. Maybe even having a window spread over two monitors (having a window on 
partly on a page seems to be similar).

Till now I used fvwm 1.24r and had a look at fvwm2-95, but I did not find any 
hint in that direction. Does anyone have experiences with dual monitors?

Thanks for your help
Martin

-- 
Martin Wunderli, Grundstrasse 11, 8048 Zuerich, Tel: +41 1 400 21 71

 ** Microsoft fuer Computer ist wie McDonald's fuer feines Essen! **

Fingerabdruck des PGP Keys: 38 5F 48 96 D3 86 35 0F  06 68 14 37 14 8D 69 DE

                            |    _    |
                           _|___/v\___|_ 
                      -====(~)=(.*.)=(~)====-
                                `-'           

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Boyns <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Jul 1996 13:37:11 -0700

> window cannot reside partly on monitor one and partly on monitor two.

That's correct.  The default X11R6 (R5/OpenWindows) X servers do not
support this feature.  I have 3 monitors on my SS5 which means fvwm
will launch 3 window managers.

> partly on a page seems to be similar).

It's not really a window manager issue.  There is a modified X11R6
server called XVan that merges all the frame buffers into one virtual
display.  XVan+fvwm does allow you to move windows between monitors.

I tried XVan for a while but found it confusing having one huge
virtual screen with a virtual desktop on top of it.

BTW, I think there's another program called xmove that can move
applications between displays.

-- 
Mark Boyns <[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.sdsu.edu/~boyns/>
PGP fingerprint = D3 28 A2 F7 D1 4C F8 EE  BF 7A 11 54 1C E5 6E CC
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Barry A. Warsaw" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 12:01:44 -0400

>>>>> "MB" == Mark Boyns <[email-masked]> writes:

    MB> It's not really a window manager issue.  There is a modified
    MB> X11R6 server called XVan that merges all the frame buffers
    MB> into one virtual display.  XVan+fvwm does allow you to move
    MB> windows between monitors.

    MB> I tried XVan for a while but found it confusing having one
    MB> huge virtual screen with a virtual desktop on top of it.

    MB> BTW, I think there's another program called xmove that can
    MB> move applications between displays.

Xvan sounds interesting but I'm not sure I want to give up display
postscript to get this feature.  I looked for xmove but couldn't find
it on ftp.x.org's new layout.  Any hints on where I might find xmove?

-Barry

---

From: "Barry A. Warsaw" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 11:57:02 -0400

MW> I intend to use two monitors and two graphic adapters with a
    MW> SUN Sparcstation 5 (TurboGXPlus graphics adapter). The first
    MW> tests I did with CDE wm (shudder...), revealed that I cannot
    MW> move a window from one monitor to another and that a window
    MW> cannot reside partly on monitor one and partly on monitor two.

Ah, for the days of NeXTSTEP!  That was one of the coolest things
about that OS on my dual-headed SS5.  I found it to be quite handy,
although dual-head support had a couple of minor problems.

Unfortunately, this is not possible on OpenWindows because it's not
something the server supports, regardless of the window manager.  I've
heard of 3rd party servers that provide this functionality, but
haven't investigated it much.

On the FVWM side, I really need to sit down and try to write up, or
fix some of its problems with dual-headed machines.  2.0.42 isn't
quite there compared to the best dual-headed wm I've used: ctwm 3.3

One immediately noticable problem is that focus doesn't always get
directed to the correct screen.  I can quite often have focus stick to
the wrong screen.  Its almost as if sloppy focus is on (tho I'm nearly
sure I turn it off for all my windows).  Hmm, as I said, I haven't had
much time to really dig into this since it's nearly good enough and
most of my complaints are just nits.

-Barry

---

From: Mark Boyns <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Jul 1996 09:50:42 -0700

> it on ftp.x.org's new layout.  Any hints on where I might find xmove?

I couldn't find xmove at ftp.x.org either.  I just searched with Alta
Vista and found it in comp.sources.x/volume21/xmove.