Subject: FVWM: SunOS calendar manager

From: Song Koh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 08:39:33 -0400

My calendar manager gets lost when I restart fvwm2.  Anyone else
having this problem?

I start with:
	cm -Wi -WP 1210 70&

and:
	Style "cm"		Sticky, NoIconTitle

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Song Koh			Harris Semiconductor
[email-masked]		MS 62-022
Voice: (407)-724-7085		P. O Box 883 (US mail) 
Fax:   (407)-729-4960		Palm Bay Road (UPS)
				Melbourne, FL 32902-0883
------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Jeff S. Elam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 09:58:29 -0700

This is a known bug/shortcoming in fvwm that's been there for a long time.
Apparently it doesn't deal with OpenWindows hints very well...

The problem stems from the -WP switch, which is telling cm where to place
its icon.  When you restart fvwm, the icon is placed at 0,0 before it "zaps"
to the location you specify with -WP.  If there's another window at 0,0, the
icon will hide under that window and will stay there until it's exposed, at
which time it will "zap" to the proper location.

I worked around the problem by eliminating the "-WP" switch from the command
line and creating an IconBox for "cm" in the location that you want and that's
barely big enough to hold the icon.  This way fvwm places the icon itself
and doesn't have to rely on the OpenWindows hints from cm...

-- 
-Jeff E.
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 11:38:17 -0500

On Jul 11,  8:39am, Song Koh wrote:
> Subject: FVWM: SunOS calendar manager
>-- End of excerpt from Song Koh

I know you will probable receive several responses, and here's one.

I've had this problem with fvwm2 since converting over to version 2.0.38, and
its followed with each release.  Any Sun application I started with a "Style"
of NoIconTitle and gave it an icon position via the "-WP X Y" would start in
the upper lefthand corner (position 0 0).  This happens to be where I place my
contool.  Consequently, that application would be hidden under my contool.

To get around this I removed the icon position and gave it a "Style" with an
IconBox.

While I think that this is not a nice solution, I've also found that this
problem isn't a real big concern (or should I say a high priority) for the
developers of fvwm.  They have bigger fish to fry.

I think fvwm is the best window manager out there right now, so I can learn to
live with a little irritant like this. IMHO of course.

-- 
    _/_/_/     _/  _/   _/_/_/_/   _/_/_/_/_/_/ Robert H. Ford II
   _/   _/    _/  _/   _/           _/    _/    Luncet Technologies
  _/_/_/     _/_/_/   _/_/_/       _/    _/     Bell Labs Innovations
 _/   _/    _/  _/   _/           _/    _/      Naperville IL, 60566-7045
_/    _/   _/  _/   _/         _/_/_/_/_/_/     Email: [email-masked]
                                                Voice: (708) 713-4957
__________________________________________________
|  M R spiders!                    |      |   |  |
|  M N O spiders!                  |      |   |  |
|  O S A R - C D E D B D I's?      |      |   |  |
|  Y I B, M R spiders...           |      |   *  |
|                                  *      |      |
|                                         *      |
--------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 15:04:27 -0400

>>>>> "Jeff" == Jeff S Elam <[email-masked]> writes:

Jeff> This is a known bug/shortcoming in fvwm that's been there for a
Jeff> long time.  Apparently it doesn't deal with OpenWindows hints
Jeff> very well...

Jeff> The problem stems from the -WP switch, which is telling cm where
Jeff> to place its icon.  When you restart fvwm, the icon is placed at
Jeff> 0,0 before it "zaps" to the location you specify with -WP.  If
Jeff> there's another window at 0,0, the icon will hide under that
Jeff> window and will stay there until it's exposed, at which time it
Jeff> will "zap" to the proper location.

Jeff> I worked around the problem by eliminating the "-WP" switch from
Jeff> the command line and creating an IconBox for "cm" in the
Jeff> location that you want and that's barely big enough to hold the
Jeff> icon.  This way fvwm places the icon itself and doesn't have to
Jeff> rely on the OpenWindows hints from cm...

Try applying this patch that Graham Barr posted for a variant of this
problem and see if it helps:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--- events.c.orig       Thu Mar 14 13:50:44 1996
+++ events.c    Thu Mar 14 13:52:58 1996
@@ -765,7 +765,14 @@
          break;

        case IconicState:
-         Iconify(Tmp_win, 0, 0);
+         if (Tmp_win->wmhints)
+           {
+             Iconify(Tmp_win, Tmp_win->wmhints->icon_x, Tmp_win->wmhints->icon_y);
+           }
+         else
+           {
+             Iconify(Tmp_win, 0, 0);
+           }
          break;
        }
       if(!PPosOverride)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This will be in 2.1.0.

Chuck