Subject: Re: FVWM: (no subject)

From: [email-masked] (Charles Gagnon)
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 08:58:21 -0400

On Jul 5, David Senouf writes:
> Subject: FVWM: (no subject)
> Can I use FVWM with OpenWin as opposed to X11 ?

I did it (before I installed X11R6.1) on Solaris 2.4 (Openwin 3.4) and it
worked fine. I even tried to compare the two servers in regards with speed but
I didn't really conclusive results.

> 
> If not, can it run on another window manager ?

If you mean another X server... I don't know. If you really mean Window
Manager, I don't know what you're talking about.

-- 
Charles Gagnon                      | My views are my views and they 
Systems Engineer                    | do not represent those of anybody
[email-masked]               | but me.
http://www.Grafnetix.COM/~charles/  |

	 "Yeah well... I tried to search the web but it was raining!"
      -- Tara Kinsey
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Emilio Lopes)
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 96 13:00 EST

>>>>> "CG" == Charles Gagnon <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Can I use FVWM with OpenWin as opposed to X11 ?

CG> I did it (before I installed X11R6.1) on Solaris 2.4 (Openwin 3.4) and it
CG> worked fine. I even tried to compare the two servers in regards with speed but
CG> I didn't really conclusive results.

>> If not, can it run on another window manager ?

CG> If you mean another X server... I don't know. If you really mean Window
CG> Manager, I don't know what you're talking about.

I think the problem here is that David Senouf does not know that
"openwin" is just plain X11 with the openlook windowmanager.

David, you should be able to use fvwm in your machine by setting an
appropriated "~/.xinitrc" or "~/.xsession", depending on your setup.

Hope this helps, Emilio.

-- 
 Emilio C. Lopes <mailto:[email-masked]>
 FINPE, Instituto de Fisica      E-mail: [email-masked]
 Universidade de Sao Paulo       Phone : (+55 11) 818-6724 (Voice)
 Caixa Postal 66318                      (+55 11) 818-6715 (Fax)
 05389-970  Sao Paulo - SP
 BRAZIL
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Boyns <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Jul 1996 00:20:54 -0700

> "openwin" is just plain X11 with the openlook windowmanager.

Not true.  Open Windows 3.0 is based on X11R4 and includes other
features like PostScript.  I think Open Windows versions after 3.0 are
all based on X11R5 with several additional features.  Open Windows also
deals with fonts differently.

-- 
Mark Boyns <[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.sdsu.edu/~boyns/>
PGP fingerprint = D3 28 A2 F7 D1 4C F8 EE  BF 7A 11 54 1C E5 6E CC
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].