Subject: FVWM: Slight wish list

From: lar3ry gensch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 15:09:48 -0400

Here's a pretty small wish for FVWM:

Some kind of option to the 'Move' command that would move a window to a
specified location relative to the X or Y axis (rather than both).

For example:

AddToFunc	"MaximizeVert"
+	"I"	Maximize 0 94
+	"I"	Move -1 28p

I'd like to bind this to a double-click on the title bar, which will, in
effect, maximize the current window vertically (94%, anyway), and then
position the resulting window at X=<current_pos> and Y=28.  (The
negative position would mean current position.)

I'm trying to get around a current limitation of the 'Maximize'
function;  'Maximize 0 94' will move the window to the position
(<current_xpos>, 0).  This is all well and good, but I personally don't
want this behavior, since I have a button bar which is Sticky and
StaysOnTop, which rides the entire top of the screen for 26 pixels. 
Moving a window to (0, <current_ypos>) will make the title bar
inaccessible.

I created the "MaximizeVert" function to perform the Maximize in the
vertical direction, and then move the window underneath the button bar. 
However, the "Move" function requires absolute coordinates.

My current workaround is to use the values '28p 28p' for the 'Move'
function.  This makes the window "jump" in two directions (and I don't
really want that behavior).  I'd just like some way to move a window
relative to its current position in one direction; using a negative
number seems like a safe enough "overload."

Does anybody else have any other suggestions?  I know that there are
hundreds of functions within fvwm2, and that I may be overlooking
something.  I would MUCH PREFER a way to get the desired behavior
without requiring a change to fvwm.

-- 
--------------------- http://www.tiac.net/users/lar3ry/
----------------------
(void) lar3ry();                                           
[email-masked]

---- "I'll only enjoy being a manager when they port gdb to debug
humans" ----
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].