Subject: FVWM: clock app comes up multiple times (once per restart)

From: tim werner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 12:30:25 -0400

Hi,

I haven't been able to figure out how to get my clock to start up
automatically since switching to fvwm (it's been a long time).

I start fvwm from .xinitrc, so it has to be the last app (as I
understand it, anyway).  If I start oclock from .xinitrc, I get a silly
title bar stuck to the top of the clock.  That's actually what I'm
trying to avoid.

If I start oclock from my initfunction, I end up with extra clocks every
time I restart fvwmrc.  I tried making the start function different from
the restart function, but it seems like it's calling the start function
even on restart.

I'm running 2.0pl33.

Does anyone have this sort of thing working?  Or, what do I need to do
to get fvwm not to put the title bar on oclock when oclock is started
before fvwm?

thanks,
tw
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 96 09:57:56 -0700

> automatically since switching to fvwm (it's been a long time).

It's not that hard, here is a clip from my .fvwmrc:

This is my initialization routine

# Stuff to do at start-up

AddToFunc "InitFunction" "I" Exec xsetroot -solid "#266294"
+              "I" Exec /home/lmyers/bin/plan -iconic
+              "I" Module FvwmAuto 750
+              "I" Exec xterm
+              "I" Exec xterm -vb -T "Console" -C
+              "I" Module FvwmButtons
+              "I" Module FvwmPager 0 6
+              "I" Exec xpostit+ -tmpdir /home/lmyers -iconic
+              "I" Exec xrefresh
+              "I" Exec tkpostage -geometry +423-0   <--  I start this, but it                                                           doesn't get restarted.

AddToFunc "RestartFunction" "I" Exec xsetroot -solid "#266294"

+              "I" Module FvwmButtons    <------ This is what gets restarted.
+              "I" Module FvwmPager 0 6
+              "I" Module FvwmAuto 750
+              "I" Exec xrefresh

And this is how I restart FVWM:

# This menu is invoked as a sub-menu - it allows you to quit,
# restart, or switch to another WM.
AddToMenu "Quit-Verify" "Really Quit Fvwm?" Title
+              "Yes, Really Quit" Quit
+              "Restart fvwm2" Restart fvwm2  <-------------------- Here it is
+              "Start twm" Restart twm
+              "Start tvtwm" Restart tvtwm
+              "Start mwm" Restart mwm
+              "" Nop
+              "No, Don't Quit" Nop

Hope this helps

Lee Myers
[email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 A computer's attention span is as long as its power cord.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"These opinions are mine, however, they may be licensed for a nominal fee."

---

From: Dan Calle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 14:26:34 -0400 (EDT)

> title bar stuck to the top of the clock.  That's actually what I'm
[snip]
> to get fvwm not to put the title bar on oclock when oclock is started

This may be related to a problem I've been having: sometimes some of
the things started in my .xsession don't get the style attributes.
See if restarting fvwm after everything in your .xinitrc finishes
running fixes this.  I'd only noticed the problem in more recent
versions (2.0.42 and .43) though.

-- 
Dan Calle                                  SysAdmin and Research Assistant
                                   Physics Department, Sweet Briar College
Email: [email-masked]              Talk/Finger: [email-masked]
Web Page: http://csugrad.cs.vt.edu/~dcalle/            Finger for PGP key.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 16:15:06 -0400

>>>>> "Dan" == Dan Calle <[email-masked]> writes:

>> title bar stuck to the top of the clock.  That's actually what I'm
Dan> [snip]
>> to get fvwm not to put the title bar on oclock when oclock is started

Dan> This may be related to a problem I've been having: sometimes some
Dan> of the things started in my .xsession don't get the style
Dan> attributes.  See if restarting fvwm after everything in your
Dan> .xinitrc finishes running fixes this.  I'd only noticed the
Dan> problem in more recent versions (2.0.42 and .43) though.

Actually, it's always been there.  In fact, it probably existed in
1.xx as well, but since it is timing related it never really showed up
for anyone then.

I think I have it fixed for the 2.1.0 release though.

The problem is in fvwm's usage of XGrabServer and XUngrabServer.  The
former isn't called soon enough in the startup process, and the latter
may be accidentally being called too soon due to a nested call
situation...  Well, the details aren't that important I guess.
Basically I just put a wrapper around those two calls so that they
keep track of the server grab request "nest level" and only call
XUngrabServer if it's the last one, and I moved the initial
XGrabServer call further up in the startup procedure.  This should fix
things, although since I don't see the problem to begin with, it's
hard to actually test this...

I'll try and make a patch to test this and post it soon (hopefully),
since I'd like to know if it truly fixes things before I get 2.1.0
out.  Or I could just make one more beta to test this, I guess, and
then put 2.1.0 out right after that.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis Developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

         "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're just havin' a nightmare
             -- of course, we ARE still in Hell." (Gary Larson)
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].