Subject: FVWM: Icons on FvwmButtons

From: Dorothy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 10:40:52 -0700

This is probably a dumb question, and maybe this isn't the right
place for it, but I can't find the answer in any of the archives.  How
does one get FvwmButtons to display icons?  I can only get text on the
buttons that launch the programs, even if I try tiny pixmaps.

Also, is there a way to control the geometry of buttons other than by
specifying the geometry of the whole button bar?  It would be nice
if oclock didn't get squashed into an oval.

Here's the relevant portion of my .fvwmrc.  BTW, I'm on Solaris2.4.
BTW2, yes, I've tried Tkgoodstuff.  It's really cool, but I don't care
for the way it uses the Pager - tho' maybe I could hack the Pager
client to do what I want.  My Buttons module has great potential, if I
can only get it to work :-)

########################### Buttons ####################################
*FvwmButtonsBack azure3
*FvwmButtonsGeometry -1-1
*FvwmButtonsRows 3
*FvwmButtonsColumns 10
#                  Title    Icon         Action
*FvwmButtons (6x3)  -     whatever  Swallow Module "Fvwm Pager" FvwmPager 0 2
*FvwmButtons (2x2)  -       -       Swallow "xbiff" Exec xbiff -volume 0 -bg azure3 -geom 48x48 &
*FvwmButtons (2x2)  -       -       Swallow "oclock" Exec oclock -fg red4 -geom 48x48 &
*FvwmButtons       XTerm   cli.xpm   Exec "xterm" xterm &
*FvwmButtons       Emacs   DTP.xpm   Exec "Emacs" /net/miller/oem2/licensing/src/netsrc/xemacs/bin/sparc-sun-solaris2.4/xemacs &
*FvwmButtons       Calc   calc.next.xpm    Exec "calctool" calctool &
*FvwmButtons       TkMan  xman3d.xpm    Exec "tkman" tkman &

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Dorothy Mokuren Robinson                                [email-masked] 
 Dogbert, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore . . .  [email-masked]
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Crimmins)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 15:13:30 -0400

> client to do what I want.

I guess my "use tkgoodstuff" reply is getting familiar... :-)

Is it the little windows that you miss?  If you prefer the FvwmPager (which is 
very nice), you can swallow it in tkgoodstuff just as you can in FvwmButtons 
(swallowing is a new feature in tkgoodstuff in the last month or two).  I know 
you may still prefer FvwmButtons, but I thought I'd send this just in case...

Also, how can anyone resist tkgoodstuff now that we use TABBED NOTEBOOK 
configuration dialogs (just added)?!

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~markcrim/tkgoodstuff

Mark

---

From: Barry D Benowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 96 11:46 EDT

I'd like to add that I can't get Icons on buttons with
FvwmButtons. I'm willing to work with someone to help debug it as
well.

Some facts:
Using the 2.0.42 beta packages and applied no patches.
using xbms because I don't have xpms installed.
It doesn't work with either a legacy configuration command or the new
type commands.

I'm not complaining, FvwmButtons is a great tool, but this is
annoying.

Thanks in advance.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ray Curtis)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 17:41:57 -0400

Hi Dorothy,
	I just answered this question before I saw yours, so try

*FvwmButtons Xemacs             gnu.xpm         Exec "Xemacs"
/usr/bin/xemacs -geometry 95x41+22+9 &

Where gnu.xpm is an Icon, this is just an example. I am using
fvwm2-2.0.43-1 on Linux and it works fine.

Make sure you have a path like this to your Icons:
IconPath   /usr/X11/bitmaps/:/etc/X11/fvwm2/icons

Hope this helps,

>>>>> "DR" == Dorothy Robinson <[email-masked]> writes:

    DR> This is probably a dumb question, and maybe this isn't the right
    DR> place for it, but I can't find the answer in any of the archives.  How
    DR> does one get FvwmButtons to display icons?  I can only get text on the
    DR> buttons that launch the programs, even if I try tiny pixmaps.

    DR> Also, is there a way to control the geometry of buttons other than by
    DR> specifying the geometry of the whole button bar?  It would be nice
    DR> if oclock didn't get squashed into an oval.

    DR> Here's the relevant portion of my .fvwmrc.  BTW, I'm on Solaris2.4.
    DR> BTW2, yes, I've tried Tkgoodstuff.  It's really cool, but I don't care
    DR> for the way it uses the Pager - tho' maybe I could hack the Pager
    DR> client to do what I want.  My Buttons module has great potential, if I
    DR> can only get it to work :-)

    DR> ########################### Buttons ####################################
    DR> *FvwmButtonsBack azure3
    DR> *FvwmButtonsGeometry -1-1
    DR> *FvwmButtonsRows 3
    DR> *FvwmButtonsColumns 10
    DR> #                  Title    Icon         Action
    DR> *FvwmButtons (6x3)  -     whatever  Swallow Module "Fvwm Pager" FvwmPager 0 2
    DR> *FvwmButtons (2x2)  -       -       Swallow "xbiff" Exec xbiff -volume 0 -bg azure3 -geom 48x48 &
    DR> *FvwmButtons (2x2)  -       -       Swallow "oclock" Exec oclock -fg red4 -geom 48x48 &
    DR> *FvwmButtons       XTerm   cli.xpm   Exec "xterm" xterm &
    DR> *FvwmButtons       Emacs   DTP.xpm   Exec "Emacs" /net/miller/oem2/licensing/src/netsrc/xemacs/bin/sparc-sun-solaris2.4/xemacs &
    DR> *FvwmButtons       Calc   calc.next.xpm    Exec "calctool" calctool &
    DR> *FvwmButtons       TkMan  xman3d.xpm    Exec "tkman" tkman &

    DR> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    DR> Dorothy Mokuren Robinson                                [email-masked] 
    DR>  Dogbert, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore . . .  [email-masked]
    DR> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    DR> --
    DR> Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
    DR> To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
    DR> message to [email-masked].
    DR> To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

    DR> -- 
---------------------------------------------------------------
Linux Host 'RAY'
email: [email-masked]