Subject: FVWM: Dual-head focus problem

From: "Barry A. Warsaw" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 19:32:11 -0400

FTR: dual-headed Sun Sparc 5, Solaris 2.5, OpenWindows 3.5, fvwm 2.0.43

Here's the problem with running fvwm on my dual-headed sparc.  I am
using MouseFocus (I set this explicitly, just in case).  I start up an
XEmacs window which is jammed against the right edge of screen :0.0.
My BorderWidth and HandleWidth are 3.  The mouse is in this window,
and the window gets focus.  My window border is highlighted and
XEmacs' cursor is solid.  All is well.

Now I move the mouse slightly to the right so that my cursor is now
over my :0.1 screen's root window (there are no windows on :0.1 yet).
Interestingly enough, XEmacs' border gets de-highlighted, but its
cursor stays solid (meaning it still thinks it has focus).  Now, even
though the cursor is over my :0.1 screen, all keypress events go to
the XEmacs window on :0.0.  Bad!

Now, if I click the mouse over :0.1's root window (popping up a menu
over the root window), suddenly XEmacs's cursor turns hollow and now,
all keypress events get handled by fvwm.  I have various R context
keypresses defined and these now get handled correctly (i.e. `x' with
R context pops up an xterm -- this xterm properly gets displayed on
screen :0.1).

Okay, now I go back to my XEmacs window on :0.0 and move it slightly
to the left, so it's now in the middle of the screen and there is a
small strip of root window between it and the right edge of :0.0.  I
put the mouse over XEmacs and I'm now at my initial state.

Now I slowly move my cursor toward the right, so that it is over the
root window of :0.1, but this time it has passed over :0.0's root
window on the way.  As soon as the cursor moved into :0.0's root
window, the XEmacs border got de-highlighted and its cursor got
hollow.  At this point, the cursor is over :0.1's root window, and now
I type a keystroke.  This event goes to the fvwm running on :0.0!  So
it gets directed to the root window, but on the wrong X screen.  Once
again, clicking on the root window of :0.1 now correctly directs all
keypresses to :0.1.

One further weird thing about the above scenario.  If I go through the
recipe in the last paragraph above, and type `x' to pop up an xterm,
the xterm shows up on :0.0, even though the keypress was on :0.1.  I
now move the mouse into the xterm window; it's border gets
highlighted, but it's cursor remains hollow.  There is now no way to
direct keypresses into the xterm!  Even clicking in the window doesn't
help.  Clicks on the frame do the Right Thing, so obviously fvwm
thinks the window has focus, but the xterm does not.

There are some really weird focus problems going on here.  I hope my
recipe makes sense.  I wonder if any of these are related to the
general problem of XEmacs sometimes losing focus after a frame delete?
You know about this problem right?

Well, thanks for listening!

-Barry
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].