Subject: FVWM: fvwm2, fvwm95, bowman & co

From: Patrice Fortier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 10:49:56 +0200 (MET DST)

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
>> I have an odd idea/request pertaining to the ftp site. I know there are
>> fvwm alternatives like bowman (NeXT Step clone) and fvwm95 (Windows 95
>> clone) which are kinda "cute". I thought it'd be kinda
>> useful/appropriate/kewl to see the family of "feeble" window managers in
>> the same site.

> I'm not too keen on the idea.  It slightly irks me that fvwm95 was split
> off; why could not the effort be invested to get fvwm to the point where it
> could do what fvwm95 does instead of just taking off in an incompatible
> direction?

> As for Bowman, is it still being developed?

  The name of bowman has changed. It's now called AfterStep:

http://mango.sfasu.edu/~frank/afterstep/
and it's still under developpement (last release 96/06/21).

  As far as I can see (and I don't see much), the differences between
AfterStep and Fvwm2 are the icons' pixmaps handling, FvwmButtons/Warf
and the Menu drawings. There used to be a difference with the titlebar
buttons, but since fvwm2.0.42 the nextstep buttons look can be
emulated.

  All these differences are look and feel diff. (I didn't read the
code). Except for the Menu drawings, I think the AfterStep can be
emulated: just add a background to the icons...
  Just a small question for FvwmButtons: Is it possible to (totally)
fill an fvwmButtons entry with a pixmap? (it seems to add at least the
borders).

Fvwm95:
  The main difference with Fvwm2 is the left titlebar button
pixmap. In fvwm95 you can have a button pixmap for each application. I
think that most of the other diff are based on this one (FvwmWinList,
Taskbar...).
  This could be solved by adding a
Style "foo"      ButtonIcon Xterm.xpm
option but I dont think it is a priority for Chuck (at least not
before the 2.1.0).

  As you can see these are *visual* diff. Can anybody add some other
to this list?

Lokh.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Todd Tyrone Fries <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 05:59:01 -0500 (CDT)

> fill an fvwmButtons entry with a pixmap? (it seems to add at least the
Yes. Fullpixmap.

> pixmap.
[..]
>   As you can see these are *visual* diff. Can anybody add some other
Not to mention the entire boarder around anything is continuous instead 
of the mwm 'chop at the corners' look.  Plus with fvwm the 'not-possible'
menu options (such as close on xdaliclock) ends up sunken instead of simply
another color.  There are alot of visual differences, actually.

Also, I don't know if it is still different or not, but at one time or
another, fvwm95 required some menu-placement changes.

--
Todd Fries .. [email-masked]