Subject: FVWM: No Can not open display

From: Andy Hoover <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 11:29:55 -0400

I recently upgraded to FVWM2.0.x and am having most of my programs tell me that they 
"can't open display:".  What has happened.  Things were running just fine under 1.2x.  However, now when I drop back to the old version, I'm getting the same messages.

Help,

Chris
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 09:46:25 -0400

>>>>> "Andy" == Andy Hoover <[email-masked]> writes:

Andy> I recently upgraded to FVWM2.0.x and am having most of my
Andy> programs tell me that they "can't open display:".  What has
Andy> happened.  Things were running just fine under 1.2x.  However,
Andy> now when I drop back to the old version, I'm getting the same
Andy> messages.

Somehow your DISPLAY env var is getting set wrong.  Chances are you
aren't letting startx or xinit set it correctly for you, but trying to
set it yourself in one of your shell startup scripts.

Chuck