Subject: FVWM: OUCH! 2.0.43 FvwmWinList no longer warps the pointer! FIX???

From: Stephen Wray <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Jul 1996 20:52:55 +1200

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

OUCH!

I used to rely on FvwmWinList to warp the pointer to totally obscured windows.
As of 2.0.43 this is no longer the case.

WHATS MORE it doesn't seem to have an option to do this!!!

What happened?

How can I fix this *abberant* behavior???

- -- 
- ---
I used to think that my brain was the most wonderful organ in my body.

Then I realised who had been telling me this...
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
Stephen Wray <[email-masked]>

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Jul 1996 09:52:18 -0700

Stephen Wray <[email-masked]> writes:

>  I used to rely on FvwmWinList to warp the pointer to totally obscured
> windows.  As of 2.0.43 this is no longer the case.  WHATS MORE it doesn't
> seem to have an option to do this!!!  What happened?  How can I fix this
> *abberant* behavior???

You could try FvwmIconMan. It's like FvwmWinList, but I think it's better,
but I'm predjudiced since I wrote it.

Or, if you want to stay with FvwmWinList, which I admit is better for
transient use, I bet that the problem comes from the change in the fvwm Focus
function which makes it no longer warp the cursor. If you use the
FvwmWinListAction option to bind WarpToWindow to a click event, that'll
probably work.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 14:04:36 -0400

>>>>> "Brady" == Brady Montz <[email-masked]> writes:

>> seem to have an option to do this!!!  What happened?  How can I fix this

Brady> You could try FvwmIconMan. It's like FvwmWinList, but I think
Brady> it's better, but I'm predjudiced since I wrote it.

:)

Brady> Or, if you want to stay with FvwmWinList, which I admit is
Brady> better for transient use, I bet that the problem comes from the
Brady> change in the fvwm Focus function which makes it no longer warp
Brady> the cursor.

Correct.  For those who don't recall, this was a much requested
feature (for Focus not to warp the pointer, that is).

Brady> If you use the FvwmWinListAction option to bind WarpToWindow to
Brady> a click event, that'll probably work.

Actually, better would be to use something like the following
function:

  AddToFunc FocusAndWarp "I" Focus
  +                      "I" WarpToWindow 2p 2p

and bind that to the click event (because WarpToWindow won't actually
change the focus on it's own in click to focus mode).

Chuck

---

From: Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 14:35:07 -0400

Chuck> Actually, better would be to use something like the following
Chuck> function:

Chuck>   AddToFunc FocusAndWarp "I" Focus
Chuck>   +                      "I" WarpToWindow 2p 2p

Chuck> and bind that to the click event (because WarpToWindow won't
Chuck> actually change the focus on it's own in click to focus mode).

I prefer the following:

AddToFunc myfocus "I" $2
+ "I" WarpToWindow $0 $1
+ "I" Focus

I'm not sure if it matters what order one calls Focus and
WarpToWindow.

Typically I call it as

myfocus 50 50 Nop

which warps to the window and focuses.  However, I found that if the
window was iconified, WarpToWindow didn't automagically deiconfy it.
So I added the third argument so that from the FvwmIconMan actions, I
can specify

myfocus 50 50 "Iconify -1"

which does what I want.

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Nobutaka Suzuki <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 19:56:43 +0900

>>>>> "Chuck" == Charles Hines <[email-masked]> writes:

Chuck> Actually, better would be to use something like the following
Chuck> function:
Chuck> 
Chuck>   AddToFunc FocusAndWarp "I" Focus
Chuck>   +                      "I" WarpToWindow 2p 2p
Chuck> 
Chuck> and bind that to the click event (because WarpToWindow won't actually
Chuck> change the focus on it's own in click to focus mode).

Incidentally, the Focus would not be needed for those who don't 
use ClickToFocus, as WarpToWindow generates EnterNotify event and 
then SetFocus() is called for non-ClickToFocus window.

----
Nobutaka Suzuki <[email-masked]>