Subject: FVWM: beta 2.0.43 ready

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 14:53:54 -0400

Howdy all.

Ok, I'm back from vacation (none too happy about that, I might add - I
need a vacation to rest up from my vacation) and I finally finished up
beta 2.0.43.  It's now at ftp.hpc.uh.edu in /pub/fvwm/version-2/ and
here's what it looks like:

  -rw-rw-r--   1 chines   fvwm      548968 Jul  8 13:23 fvwm-2.0.43.tar.gz

And here's the rather sizeable ChangeLog entry:

2.0.43
       1. More man page updates & Imake fixes
       2. Simple patch to help take care of some timing bugs
       3. Patch to fix resize oddities when hitting 'hard' edge introduced
          by EdgeScroll loop patch
       4. Fixed startup w/ no rc bug, plus added more defaults, so if
          started without an rc file, things should run ok.  Plus it now
          outputs error messages if Read fails, then tries to Read
          system.fvwm2rc (after first read fails).
       5. Patch to fix UseStyle problem w/ BackColor
       6. More FAQ updates
       7. Created an 'extras' dir, and moved some of the existing modules
          in there (the ones that aren't being built by default).
       8. More potential speedups in event processing
       9.  Decoupled warp from Focus, adding WarpToWindow function.
       10. Added SendToModule builtin to send arbitrary strings to modules
           to help implement more complex dynamic module abilities and
           allow for module to module communication
       11. Put old FvwmButtons back as FvwmGoodStuff, for people who
           prefer the simpler older version (in extras dir).  Also made it
           able to be passed in the name parameter on invocation so it
           doesn't have to be symbolically linked to the new names any
           more.
       12. Adding a new module FvwmForm2 in the extras directory,
           contributed by Frederic Cordier.  Based on FvwmForm but
           completely rewritten apparently.  It uses scripts, has a new
           more complex syntax (Pascal like) and adds RadioButtons.  I
           would like to eventually combine aspects of the two versions
           (and more) to make one killer module, perhaps.
       13. Made fvwm_msg send errors to modules, so FvwmTalk sees them
           like it used to (and any other module that looks for M_ERROR
           in the future)
       14. Added DestroyModuleConfig, based on patch from Toshi Isogai
       15. Modules can now send module config commands to fvwm (eg FvwmTalk)
       16. Removed implicit Exec exec stuff for the time being, until I
           come up with a better way to do it (back to old behavior)
       17. More mini icons added and some icons removed
       18. Added "KillMe" command that modules can send to fvwm asking for
           an assisted suicide (almost called this Kevorkian :)).  Mark
           Crimmins wanted this for probs with TkGoodStuff.
       19. Fixed RaiseWindow bug under some servers when no icon pixmap.
       20. Fixed one prob w/ FvwmAuto and menus being hidden (under click
           to focus - still needs work for other focus policies, but not
           entirely sure how to approach this yet).
       21. Added ExitFunction, to be executed on exit (before restarts too).
           Useful for explicitly killing modules, etc.
       22. Changed behavior of '-f' to just specify config file (now use
           -cmd to perform an actual command, like -cmd 'FvwmM4 .fvwm2rc')
       23. Updates to FvwmSaveDesk from Carsten Paeth so it should now
           actually work under 2.xx, plus some other bugfixes too I
           believe.
       24. Added PipeRead function, which executes a program and Read's
           it's output.  Useful for making dynamic menus and such.
       25. Security fix for FvwmM4 & FvwmCpp from Austin Donnelly
       26. Added strerror for SunOS 4.1.x
       27. Added ability to remove mouse and key bindings without restart
           (do the binding but specify '-' as the function).  Probably
           needs more checking for removing mouse bindings from title bar
           buttons correctly, though.
       28. Updates to FvwmIconMan from Brady Montz.
       29. Updates to FvwmIconBox from Nobutaka Suzuki.
       30. Patch from Austin Donnelly for multi-keypress required for
           WindowList problem.
       31. Patch to center text on left pixmaps in menus.
       32. Patch to allow menus to pop up left if not enough room on right
           (currently in ifdef -> define LEFT_MENUS to enable when compiling).

Oh, and I forgot to update fvwm2.man to go with #22, which of course I
didn't notice until after I had uploaded the tar file.  Obviously not
vital so I put this patch for it in the LATEST_NEWS section of the WWW
docs:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--- fvwm2.man~  Wed Jun 19 22:55:43 1996
+++ fvwm2.man   Mon Jul  8 14:23:25 1996
@@ -276,7 +276,7 @@
 your .fvwm2rc file (if it appears at all), and start fvwm with the
 command
 .EX
-fvwm -f "FvwmM4 .fvwm2rc"
+fvwm -cmd "FvwmM4 .fvwm2rc"
 .EE

 .SH CPP PREPROCESSING
@@ -293,7 +293,10 @@

 .SH OPTIONS
 These are the command line options that are recognized by \fIfvwm\fP:
-.IP "\fB-f\fP \fIconfig_command\fP"
+.IP "\fB-f\fP \fIconfig_file\fP"
+Causes \fIfvwm\fP to Read \fIconfig_file\fP instead of ".fvwm2rc"
+as its initialization file.
+.IP "\fB-cmd\fP \fIconfig_command\fP"
 Causes \fIfvwm\fP to use \fIconfig_command\fP instead of "Read .fvwm2rc"
 as its initialization command.
 .IP "\fB-debug\fP"
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to make this the last beta before the first official release
(2.1.0).  So let me know what other problems you find with it so I can
clean it up (especially build and doc problems).  Bear in mind that I
can't fix ALL of it's bugs, especially the one's I can't reproduce...

Hopefully 2.1.0 will be out in just a few weeks, and then I can begin
with the long awaited semi mythical Great Style Flag Rewrite, which I
know many people are awaiting with baited breath...

Chuck

ps - I'm still wading through all of the email I got while I was gone,
so I haven't had a chance to reply to a lot of the mail that hit the
lists (and sent directly to me) while I was gone.  I should get to it
all eventually (and if I don't, ping me again in a few days).

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis Developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

         "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're just havin' a nightmare
             -- of course, we ARE still in Hell." (Gary Larson)
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thanh Ma <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 16:14:01 -0400 (EDT)

>   -rw-rw-r--   1 chines   fvwm      548968 Jul  8 13:23 fvwm-2.0.43.tar.gz

Append to your INSTALL file:

...
UnixWare-2.x (SVR4.2MP)

After striping:
-rwxr-xr-x    1 infcons  other     131768 Jul  8 16:14 fvwm/fvwm2

Thanh

> To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-announce" in the
> body of a message to [email-masked].
> To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].
>

---

From: Hank Hughes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 1996 13:32:09 -0400

I wasn't sure wether to cc this to the other fvwm
	lists but ...

	First, I'd like to thank all who helped continue 
	develop fvwm. Second, I have an odd idea/request
	pertaining to the ftp site. I know there are fvwm
	alternatives like bowman (NeXT Step clone) and
	fvwm95 (Windows 95 clone) which are kinda "cute".
	I thought it'd be kinda useful/appropriate/kewl
	to see the family of "feeble" window managers in
	the same site.

	Just a thought,
	-Hank

---

From: Todd Tyrone Fries <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 14:55:36 -0500 (CDT)

> I have an odd idea/request pertaining to the ftp site. I know there are fvwm
> alternatives like bowman (NeXT Step clone) and fvwm95 (Windows 95 clone)
> which are kinda "cute". I thought it'd be kinda useful/appropriate/kewl
> to see the family of "feeble" window managers in the same site.

Since they are separate projects, hrm, ask the hpc maintainer I guess...

Personally I hope someday that the features of fvwm95 and bowman will work
their way into fvwm as either compile-time or style-flag choices.  IMHO,
though.

--
Todd Fries .. [email-masked]

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Jul 1996 15:54:15 -0500

>>>>> "TTF" == Todd Tyrone Fries <[email-masked]> writes:

[Sorry, attribution has been lost]
>> I have an odd idea/request pertaining to the ftp site. I know there are
>> fvwm alternatives like bowman (NeXT Step clone) and fvwm95 (Windows 95
>> clone) which are kinda "cute". I thought it'd be kinda
>> useful/appropriate/kewl to see the family of "feeble" window managers in
>> the same site.

TTF> Since they are separate projects, hrm, ask the hpc maintainer I
TTF> guess...

I'm not too keen on the idea.  It slightly irks me that fvwm95 was split
off; why could not the effort be invested to get fvwm to the point where it
could do what fvwm95 does instead of just taking off in an incompatible
direction?

As for Bowman, is it still being developed?

TTF> Personally I hope someday that the features of fvwm95 and bowman will
TTF> work their way into fvwm as either compile-time or style-flag choices.
TTF> IMHO, though.

I think that would be the the ideal goal.
-- 
      Jason L. Tibbitts III - [email-masked] - 713/743-8684 - 221SR1
System Manager:  University of Houston High Performance Computing Center
                1994 PC800 "Kuroneko"      DoD# 1723
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 10:29:57 -0400

>>>>> "Jason" == Jason L Tibbitts <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>>> "TTF" == Todd Tyrone Fries <[email-masked]> writes:
Jason> [Sorry, attribution has been lost]

Jason> I'm not too keen on the idea.

Me neither.  They are seperate projects, even though they were started
with fvwm, and we really have nothing to do with them otherwise, so
why should we have them at the same site?  (after all by that same
token shouldn't they all be with the twm code, since that is where
fvwm got it's start from?)

Jason> It slightly irks me that fvwm95 was split off; why could not
Jason> the effort be invested to get fvwm to the point where it could
Jason> do what fvwm95 does instead of just taking off in an
Jason> incompatible direction?

We all know why fvwm95 came about - because of my feelings that I
don't think all the stuff put in fvwm95 belongs fvwm, although some of
the features may appear eventually.

But I really don't want to get into that whole discussion again...
I'll just say that the only thing that really bugs me about fvwm95 is
the choice of leaving the 'fvwm' in the name and that people email me
(and the fvwm lists) with questions about it.

Jason> I think that would be the the ideal goal.

Some features will probably appear as style flag choices and the like,
but I'd prefer to stay away from compile time stuff.

Also, I'd like to try making it possible to do more stuff in modules
that could alter the apperance (menus drawn by modules are certainly
easily possible now) or perhaps through dynamic loading (which would
probably be better for this but a little less portable), but honestly
it's not a high priority for me.

Chuck

---

From: [email-masked] (Emilio Lopes)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 96 17:22 EST

>>>>> "JLT" == Jason L Tibbitts <[email-masked]> wrote:

JLT> As for Bowman, is it still being developed?

I think it's called "Afterstep" now.

Emilio.

-- 
                 Emilio C. Lopes <mailto:[email-masked]>
               Instituto de Fisica da Universidade de Sao Paulo
             Caixa Postal 66318, 05389-970 Sao Paulo - SP, BRAZIL
              Phone: (+55) (11) 818-6724 (Voice) / 818-6715 (Fax)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].