Subject: FVWM: bug in SendName()?

From: [email-masked] (Dan Astoorian)
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 03:46:54 -0400 (EDT)

Using 2.0.42...

The modules.tex file claims that packets containing variable-length
names (i.e. M_WINDOW_NAME, M_ICON_NAME, M_RES_CLASS, M_RES_NAME) will be
zero-padded to fill out the last long word.

This does not appear to be the case; I am finding stray characters
attached to the end of these packets, as well as in M_ERROR and
M_CONFIG_INFO packets (which also contain variable-length names).

The fault would appear to be in SendName() in modules.c, which obtains
the memory via safemalloc() and merely does a strcpy() into it; this
fails to zero out the 'padding' bytes.

Should be trivial to fix...

(BTW, M_ICON_FILE and M_DEFAULTICON are currently undocumented in
modules.tex.)

Thanks,

--                          People shouldn't think that it's better to have
Dan Astoorian               loved and lost than never loved at all.  It's
http://www.utopia.csas.com  not, it's better to have loved and won.  All
[email-masked]       the other options really suck.    --Dan Redican
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].