Subject: FVWM: Changing icons on the fly

From: Elmar Kurgpold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 12:37:44 -0700 (PDT)

Does anyone know of a way I can change an icon on the fly?  Specifically,
I've got a shell script that does certain things depending upon how many
new mail messages I have, and I'd like to change the icon on the xterm
which my mail program is running under so the cute little flag on the
mailbox flips up when there is new mail.  It just looks wrong otherwise. 
:-)

I'm currently using fvwm-2.0.40 on Solaris 2.5. 

Thanks.

  ___  ____ __
 | _ \/ __/|  \  Pencom            |  Elmar Kurgpold
 |  _/\__ \| \ \  Systems          |  Email: [email-masked]
 |_|  /___/|_|__\  Administration  |  Pager: 800/SKYPAGE Pin: 352-4668
 http://www.pencom.com             |  Phone: 415/528-7060 (BBN Planet)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Emilio Lopes)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 96 16:57 EST

>>>>> "EK" == Elmar Kurgpold <[email-masked]> wrote:

EK> Does anyone know of a way I can change an icon on the fly?  Specifically,
EK> I've got a shell script that does certain things depending upon how many
EK> new mail messages I have, and I'd like to change the icon on the xterm
EK> which my mail program is running under so the cute little flag on the
EK> mailbox flips up when there is new mail.  It just looks wrong otherwise. 
EK> :-)

I think you are looking for xmailbox. xmailbox's icon will change when
new mail comes (can even do some animation and sound) and it will open
an user-defined mail program when you click on it.

Hope this helps.

Emilio.

-- 
 Emilio C. Lopes <mailto:[email-masked]>
 FINPE, Instituto de Fisica      E-mail: [email-masked]
 Universidade de Sao Paulo       Phone : (+55 11) 818-6724 (Voice)
 Caixa Postal 66318                      (+55 11) 818-6715 (Fax)
 05389-970  Sao Paulo - SP
 BRAZIL
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Elmar Kurgpold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 18:33:37 -0700 (PDT)

> an user-defined mail program when you click on it.

Mmm, well.... I've used it before and it's not really what I'm looking
for.  Basically I want to know if it's possible to use an xpm file as the
icon image for a window (xterm) and then switch it to another xpm file
without restarting fvwm (or the xterm). 

  ___  ____ __