Subject: Re: FVWM: Re: Ok, it's time (was Re: Just a heads up)

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 09:40:11 -0400

[email-masked] (Jeff Magill) writes:
> >I guess here is where we must decide.  Is 'fvwm2' forever to be the
> >binary used with fvwm?  Or is it a temporary measure to wean people away
> >from fvwm 1.xx ??
> 
> 
> Software really shouldn't change names as versions change.  

I think this is a good rule in general, but fvwm2 will not work if run
with a .fvwmrc config file created for fvwm.  I think that is adequate
reason to change the binaries name.

> Jeff
> --

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Todd Tyrone Fries <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 15:49:41 -0500 (CDT)

> reason to change the binaries name.

My 'fvwm' reads '.fvwmrc' files formatted for 2.x ...  That was why
I made the original comment.

--
Todd Fries .. [email-masked]

---

From: Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 11:24:34 +0200

>>>>> "Todd" == Todd Tyrone Fries <[email-masked]> writes:

    >> [email-masked] (Jeff Magill) writes: > Software really shouldn't
    >> change names as versions change.  I think this is a good rule
    >> in general, but fvwm2 will not work if run with a .fvwmrc
    >> config file created for fvwm.  I think that is adequate reason
    >> to change the binaries name.

    Todd> My 'fvwm' reads '.fvwmrc' files formatted for 2.x ...  That
    Todd> was why I made the original comment.

fvwm2 could perhaps be able to recognize old fvwm 1.xx keywords and
output an error message telling explicitely that the .fvwmrc is not in
the right format. How difficult would that be (and how much bloat
would that add to the code) ?

Jean-Marc