Subject: FVWM: Bindings to keycodes.

From: Roy Dragseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 12:28:20 METDST

Hi.

Is it possible to bind function to a keycode? This may sound strange,
but my Xserver (HP Xterminal) seems to have a hardcoded upper limit on
keycodes that it is possible to bind to a keysym. I've got my hands on
a MS Natural Keyboard and want to use the extra buttons (Windows, and
Print buttons) on it. When try to use xmodmap to bind the windows
button to something I get:

>xmodmap -e "keycode 148 = backslash"
xmodmap:  commandline:0:  bad keycode value (out of range)
xmodmap:  1 errors encountered, aborting.

Just curious if it is possible to do it, would love to bind some menus
to it.

Best regards,
Roy.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 96 11:35:41 +0200

>>>>> Roy Dragseth writes:

R> Hi.
R> Is it possible to bind function to a keycode? This may sound strange,
R> but my Xserver (HP Xterminal) seems to have a hardcoded upper limit on
R> keycodes that it is possible to bind to a keysym. I've got my hands on
R> a MS Natural Keyboard and want to use the extra buttons (Windows, and
R> Print buttons) on it. When try to use xmodmap to bind the windows

> xmodmap -e "keycode 148 = backslash"
R> xmodmap:  commandline:0:  bad keycode value (out of range)
R> xmodmap:  1 errors encountered, aborting.

R> Just curious if it is possible to do it, would love to bind some menus
R> to it.
yes it is.

I think you can only use predefined keysyms, so search for an unused one
(sorry I don't knoe the file to look for, since I only remember having
heard this on this list around December/Januar/February)
have a look in the archive (pointer is on Fvwm Homepage)

cheers,
albrecht
-- 
Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
What did you dream? It's alright we told you what to dream.
You dreamed of a big star, he played a mean guitar,
He always ate in the Steak Bar. He loved to drive in his Jaguar.
So welcome to the machine.				-- Pink Floyd
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].