Subject: FVWM: restarting fvwm2 with alternate rc file

From: Julien Maillard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 13:53:50 -0400

What is the best way to restart fvwm2 with a different config file? 

I am trying to swicth menus without manually changing the link
.fvwm2rc points to. So I nead to restart fvwm2 and read an alternate
file instead of .fvwm2rc... but 'Restart fvwm2' is the only way to
restart it, right? no '-f file' there... so I thought about using the
Read function... without restarting fvwm2. the problem is that
AddtoMenu keeps adding to the menus already defined... can i
reinitialize the menus somehow? If anyone has some hints about this,
please let me know, thanks.

-- 
Julien Maillard                                       [email-masked]
Virginia Tech
                tel: (540) 231 4285,  fax: (540) 231 8836
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Jun 1996 09:04:54 +0200

>>>>> On Sat, 29 Jun 1996 13:53:50 -0400, Julien Maillard
>>>>> <[email-masked]> said:

  Julien> without restarting fvwm2. the problem is that AddtoMenu
  Julien> keeps adding to the menus already defined... can i
  Julien> reinitialize the menus somehow? If anyone has some hints
  Julien> about this, please let me know, thanks.

There's a command DestroyMenu (or something) that deletes a menu.  You
can then execute AddToMenu statements to create the new menu.

fvwm2 -cmd 'Read foo' should do something useful with respect to the
restarting thing.

kai
-- 
Life is hard and then you die.