Subject: FVWM: Fvwm and xv interaction?

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 12:43 -0300 (BST)

Hi,

On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Yves Arrouye wrote:

[...]
> I have a bug report for fvwm2 too, which I send you here so that you can
> forward it upstream. The bug is with windows refresh. To exhibit it, launch
> xv, select Grab, choose the Hide XV Windows checkbox and grab something:
> the window still displays whatever was there before the grab; if you move
> the window, its contents are correctly updated.
>   This bug does not appear with the mwm window manager, so I think it is
> related to fvwm2.

Could people please check whether their 'xv' shows this bug? I can
reproduce it with xv 3.10 and 3.10a.

I'm increasingly of the opinon that it isn't entirely fvwm's fault. The
bug is reproducable with fvwm1.24, fvwm2 (2.0.42) and twm, but not
with olwm. I haven't got access to mwm to verify Yves's report.

The common point seems to be that fvwm and twm all use ActivePlacement
policies, where as olvm (and presumably mwm) use something like
RandomPlacement. It isn't as simple as this, though: if I put fvwm
into RandomPlacement mode, I still can't get correct behaviour.

Any ideas, chaps (and chapesses!) ?

Austin
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Barry A. Warsaw" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 10:29:23 -0400

>>>>> "AD" == Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]> writes:

    AD> Could people please check whether their 'xv' shows this bug? I
    AD> can reproduce it with xv 3.10 and 3.10a.

I've verified this on Solaris 2.5 with fvwm 2.0.42 and xv 3.10a.

-Barry

---

From: Michael Tiefenback <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 12:23:32 -0400 (EDT)

Using xv 3.10a, fvwm 2.0.40, and Linux 1.2.13 on an i386-33, I verified
the reported bug (select Grab with HideWindows option; updates to xv
window don't happen until an event [reported example: move window]
occurs), but I found other events which triggered an update of the
display window.  If I move to another desktop and back, or if I execute a 
Recapture, the xv window is updated.  If I move the window it is 
updated.  If I raise or lower the window, it is not updated. I would 
guess that fvwm is not giving xv what it expects when it is grabbing in 
HideWindows mode. Whether fvwm is giving xv all that it should give it, 
and mwm/olwm are giving it extra info which it (incorrectly?) expects is 
another question.

Michael Tiefenback

---

From: Ron Ho <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 09:57:48 -0700 (PDT)

> reproduce it with xv 3.10 and 3.10a.

hi,

using xv 3.10a, fvwm 2.0.42, solaris 2.4 on an ultrasparc, i also can
see this behavior (xv window not being updated unless you do something
to the window).

again, as noted by michael tiefenback, the xv window gets updated if i
move it (either within a page or between desktops), but not on a
raise/lower. interestingly, if i do the grab, then move to another
page within a desktop, the xv window refreshes *and* follows me to
that page, even though i'm not doing a "sticky-move" type of
operation....

(this may of course be unrelated to the original behavior described.)

-ron

-- 
Ron Ho:        PhD wannabe, CSL || Design Engineer, Intel Corporation
      Gates Building Rm. 232-2A || RN4-16, 2200 Mission College Blvd
             Stanford, CA 94305 || Santa Clara, CA 95052
      [email-masked] || [email-masked]
                 (415) 725-8811 || (408) 765-6655

---

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 15:03:27 -0400 (EDT)

> that page, even though i'm not doing a "sticky-move" type of

I have another problem with fvwm and xv. If I have xv displaying something
in a window, and restart fvwm, the xv window displaying the graphic will
move up to the upper-left corner of the screen. When fvwm comes back, the
window stays there. This happens to any number of xv windows I have up,
but only (I think) to the ones that display a picture. Other xv windows
don't do this. This is with fvwm 2.0.42, xv 3.10a, on a linux box. It's
really annoying, especially when a small xv window moves up to the corner
and gets hidden behind my fvwmbuttons..

-- 
#!/usr/bin/perl -lisubstr($_,39+38*sin++$y/9,2)=$s        [email-masked]
for($s='  '||McQ;$_='JOEY HESS 'x8;print){eval$^I}           Joey Hess
                      "He. He. He." - - Herman Toothrot