Subject: FVWM: XEmacs Icons give errors...

From: Andrew Jaffe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 12:49:08 -0400

Hi, 

Several weeks ago, I asked about changing XPM icons with XEmacs on a
mode-dependent basis. I have since started using frame-icon.el, which
appears to do the trick. There are still some problems, though:

1) Whereas the Icons assigned using .fvwm2rc are fully "shaped", those
assigned using frame-icon are rectangular (i.e., within a white box with
a small border).

2) Other attributes--e.g. StickyIcon---are still based on the state of
the frame when it was created. It seems that it might be best to check
the state upon iconization.

3) Perhaps most important? Fvwm reports errors (into my
.xsession-errors) when XEmacs tries to change the icon. It looks like
pairs of lines like this:

[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 132, Error 4, EventType: 12

Sometimes, EventType is 0, 4, 12 or 28.

Any ideas?

Andrew

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrew Jaffe					[email-masked]
CITA, U. Toronto				(416) 978-8497, 6879
60 Saint George St.				         -3921 (Fax)
Toronto, ON M5S 1A1 CANADA			
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 14:10:54 -0400

> Sometimes, EventType is 0, 4, 12 or 28.

I get  similar  errors from live-icon.el:

[FVWM] [FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM] [FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 130, Error 4, EventType: 0
[FVWM] [FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM] [FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 130, Error 4, EventType: 2

When I tried to  trace it down, it  seemed  like xpm was telling  fvwm
that the icon was invalid.  Of course the icon looks fine.  I captured
the live-icon xpm  and it looked fine  also.  Even though other window
managers don't report this  error, I believe  the problem really is in
XEmacs.

The only advice I can give is use  "contool" for your console process.
You can then configure "contool" to ignore these errors.

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].