Subject: Re: FVWM: Dynamic Xterm title fix

From: [email-masked] (Amir J. Katz)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 96 09:59:33 IDT

I've followed this thread with interest and I've noticed that some
people use 'xterm -C' in order to create a console window.
Since this thread is unrelated to fvwm, as someone has already
observed, I would like to add my $0.02 here as well :-)

For those using SunOS or Solaris, I suggest that they check out a
neat little tool called 'contool' which is OpenLook-based tool, very
similar to the console window under Sun's OpenWindows.

It has the following neat features:
1. Scrollbars (OpenLook style)
2. Read-only - that is, you can't use it to type shell commands
3. Employs a sophisticated filtering mechanism, so that
   one can discard all non-interesting or trivial console messages.
4. When iconified, The icon flashes (!!) when a console message arrives
5. Adds date & time to every console message. As some of you have
   probably noticed, some system console messages arrive out of the 
   blue, w/o date & time, so if you're away for a while, you don't
   know when a problem has occured.

I can't recall where I picked it up, but the tar file that I have is
dated Mar 10, 1994 and it's version 3.3.

/* Amir J. Katz  E-mail: [email-masked]   URL: http://www.ndsoft.com */
/* EagleEye Control Software, LTD., Tel-Aviv, Israel                 */
/* .. I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my       ..*/
/* .. lawyer thinks he can get me five.        (Steven Wright)     ..*/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Markus Gutschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 10:48:30 +0200

> 4. When iconified, The icon flashes (!!) when a console message arrives

You can even configure it, to pop up once new messages arrive. This is
very useful if Fvwm is configured to show no icon for Contool. Thus,
Contool is totaly invisible as long as no message have shown up yet. I
have these lines in my .fvwmrc:

  Style "Contool" Sticky,WindowListSkip,ClickToFocus,NoIcon,StartIconic
  AddToFunc "InitFunction"    "I" Exec contool -geometry 525x180-0-0 &

>    know when a problem has occured.

Markus

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Jun 1996 18:18:37 +0200

>>>>> On Wed, 19 Jun 96 09:59:33 IDT, [email-masked] (Amir
>>>>> J. Katz) said:

  Amir> It has the following neat features: [...]

I have configured my contool to `play phone.au' when somebody `talk's to
me.  I love contool!

kai
-- 
Life is hard and then you die.