Subject: FVWM: FVWM-2 WindowList

From: Scary Guy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 03:47:06 -0400 (EDT)

I don't know if this is a bug or something that was intentionally done,
but I noticed a difference in behavior between the WindowList in FVWM-1
and in FVWM-2.  Basically, in FVWM-1, the windows in the windowlist
would be sequenced in the order in which they were last accessed.  This
was very convenient because I had bound some keys to bring up the
WindowList and then I could use keystrokes (j or k) to easily go up or
down to switch between menus.  So, if I was working between two windows
and wanted to toggle between them, all I had to do is bring up the
WindowList (i.e. Alt+F1), and then press j-j to switch to the previous
window, then enter to select it.

This "convenient" reordering of the windows in the WindowList is not
present in FVWM-2, and maybe that was by design.  I just think that it
would be more convenient for the windows to reorder in the order in
which they were last accessed, especially when there are many windows
open.

Thanks
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: James Elson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 1996 11:34:43 +0100

> window, then enter to select it.

You can get this sort of behaviour using Fvwm2's Next and Prev commands.
Bind these to, say Alt+Tab (for the windows users out there).

Key Tab         A       M       Prev Focus

-- 
Philips Research Laboratories			Phone: +44 1293 815745
Cross Oak Lane					Fax:   +44 1293 815500
Redhill, Surrey
England RH6 9BL                 email: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Jun 1996 21:20:01 +0200

>>>>> On Fri, 07 Jun 1996 11:34:43 +0100, James Elson
>>>>> <[email-masked]> said:

  James> You can get this sort of behaviour using Fvwm2's Next and
  James> Prev commands.

While we're at the subject of Next and Prev, I wonder.  I once thought
that these would select windows based on a last-visited basis.  So, I
made an experiment:

>From a menu, I called up three xterms which I will call A, B and C in
the following.  I position the mouse in A (which makes A have focus as
I use SloppyFocus).  I hit Alt-k (bound to Prev) which takes me to B.
Fine.  I move the mouse into C then back into A, taking care that the
mouse doesn't touch B on the way.  I hit Alt-k which takes me to C,
right?  Wrong, it takes me to B.

What's the story?  Is anybody else seeing this?

ObFvwmAdvocacy:

Hey, Rob and Chuck, thanks for the great work on Fvwm -- it lets me
work around a misfeature in Mosaic and Netscape (probably in other
motifish programs, too).  You would think that using a keyboard
shortcut to, say, pop up a file selector box is a way of avoiding
using the mouse, right?  Wrong.  If you use FocusFollowsMouse or
SloppyFocus, it isn't.  You have to grab the mouse then move the mouse
pointer into the file selector box to be able to type anything into it
:-(

Fvwm lets me choose ClickToFocus for selected windows, such as Mosaic
and Netscape, which avoids this problem :-)

kai 
-- 
Life is hard and then you die.