Subject: FVWM: Solaris 2.5/OpenWindows 3.5 problems

From: Robert Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 23:49:36 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I'm using a Sparcstation 2 with Solaris 2.5 and OpenWindows 3.5 installed.
Recently, I compiled fvwm-2.0.42 and installed it (I used gcc 2.7.2).
The compilation and installation went smoothly enough, including such
niceties as rplay support, etc.  However, when I ran it (from my .xinitrc
file), it started acting strangely.  Before I describe what's wrong,
let me just say that I'm using the sample fvwmrc file supplied with
the package, twiddled somewhat for my site (the module, pixmap and bitmap
paths are different).

The problem is that, with the exception of surrounding borders and the
title bar, no other decorations are being put on any windows.  What's
more, the mouse doesn't have any effect on the windows.  Actually, this
is slightly misleading - I can use any mouse support that the application
has (such as cutting and pasting or xterm menus), but cannot use it
to access any fvwm features such as window dragging and resizing or
drop-down menus.

The first time I started fvwm2, I couldn't even exit X (I had no xterm up
and no way to get one either) so I had to reboot...  Occassionally, when
I started fvwm2, I couldn't actually type into the xterm that came up -
however, I could still cut-and-paste to and from it, so I had to
cut-and-paste garbage from my bash$ prompt so that bash gave me an error.
This gave me more letters that I could 'type' with, and eventually I
was able to do a 'ps' and a 'kill' on my fvwm process.  It was better
than rebooting, I suppose... :-)

It seems to me that no functions are being executed (the InitFunction
doesn't start either).

Has anyone else happened across this problem?  Anyone got a solution?

Regards,
 Robert.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Todd Tyrone Fries <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 02:12:07 -0500 (CDT)

> Recently, I compiled fvwm-2.0.42 and installed it (I used gcc 2.7.2).

I have used this exact setup without problems....so...

> However, when I ran it (from my .xinitrc file), it started acting strangely. 
[...]
> to access any fvwm features such as window dragging and resizing or

You are definately not getting the rc file read at all.  If you compiled a
binary called fvwwm2, chances are it wants to find a config file ~/.fvwm2rc
not .fvwmrc...  It is a compile time thing setup in Fvwm.tmpl...

> I'm using the sample fvwmrc file supplied with the package, twiddled
> somewhat for my site (the module, pixmap and bitmap paths are different).

And where did you put it? <grin>

> and no way to get one either) so I had to reboot...

If you are truly using fvwm2.0.42, there will be an exit menu bound to one
of the buttons when you click on the background defined by default.  You
could have avoided this.  (Now I tell you, right? :-)

> Has anyone else happened across this problem?  Anyone got a solution?

Yes, many a time, when I was compiling it for my other various accounts and
I forgot to put the rc file where it expects it to go...

--
Todd Fries .. [email-masked] .. [email-masked] .. [email-masked]