Subject: FVWM: Two Questions About Menus

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 15:35:51 +0600

Chuck,

I have been wondering about multi columns in the menus and found this
mentioned in the to-do list under "NEW".

So is this something I can look forward to after the official release of 2.1?

Also while looking thru the archives, I noticed a reference to an olvwm
feature that will create a menu from a directory of executables (e.g.
$HOME/bin).  Is there any plan for this feature.

One final thing.  I would like to thank you Chuck and all of the
providers for this wonderful window manager.  I really don't know how I
ever functioned here at work without it.

Bob Ford

    _/_/_/     _/  _/   _/_/_/_/   _/_/_/_/_/_/ Robert H. Ford II
   _/   _/    _/  _/   _/           _/    _/    Luncet Technologies
  _/_/_/     _/_/_/   _/_/_/       _/    _/     Bell Labs Innovations
 _/   _/    _/  _/   _/           _/    _/      Naperville IL, 60566-7045
_/    _/   _/  _/   _/         _/_/_/_/_/_/     Email: [email-masked]
                                                Voice: (708) 713-4957
__________________________________________________
|  M R spiders!                    |      |   |  |
|  M N O spiders!                  |      |   |  |
|  O S A R - C D E D B D I's?      |      |   |  |
|  Y I B, M R spiders...           |      |   *  |
|                                  *      |      |
|                                         *      |
--------------------------------------------------

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 08:44:05 -0400

>>>>> "Bob" == misha21  <[email-masked]> writes:

Bob> Chuck,

Howdy.

Bob> I have been wondering about multi columns in the menus and found this
Bob> mentioned in the to-do list under "NEW".

Bob> So is this something I can look forward to after the official
Bob> release of 2.1?

Nope - sorry.  That is something that I don't know will ever make it
it, but that I'd like to investigate when I get a chance.

Bob> Also while looking thru the archives, I noticed a reference to an olvwm
Bob> feature that will create a menu from a directory of executables (e.g.
Bob> $HOME/bin).  Is there any plan for this feature.

Sort of.  There will probably be a way to read the output of an
executable, so you could make a small shell script to create the menu
entries from a directory's contents.  I plan to put that in the next
beta, which is only one away from 2.1 if all goes well, although I am
trying to minimize the amount of new stuff going it between now and
then, so it might wait until slightly after 2.1 is released.  Still
haven't fully decided...

Bob> One final thing.  I would like to thank you Chuck and all of the
Bob> providers for this wonderful window manager.  I really don't know
Bob> how I ever functioned here at work without it.

No problem.  I felt the same way after I started using fvwm.

Chuck

---

From: "Greg J. Badros" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 11:18:51 -0400 (EDT)

> Bob> $HOME/bin).  Is there any plan for this feature.
">" == Chuck
> then, so it might wait until slightly after 2.1 is released.  Still

I don't know how minimal people want fvwm to be, but this sort of thing is
already do-able with m4.  eg.

  define(`a_temporary_file',maketemp(`TMPDIR/fvwmincludedXXXXX'))
  syscmd(`system-command with options >' a_temporary_file)
  include(a_temporary_file)
  syscmd(rm a_temporary_file)

Of course, then you need to use m4, and it's not as clean as it could be
(though you could write a macro to clean it up! :-) ), but I use this
technique multiple times in my .fvwm2rc.* files.  BTW, m4 does *not* have
any asynchronous issues like the discussion about the Read command pointed
out for it.  You just have to learn m4, which can take a couple hours to
get comfortable with.

> No problem.  I felt the same way after I started using fvwm.

Me too!

Greg J. Badros                 8816 Nesbit Ave N., Apt 303
[email-masked]                Seattle, WA  98103-4067
http://www.cs.duke.edu/~gjb    voice 206/528.7513   fax 206/523.9328