Subject: FVWM: Re: FVWM-2 WindowList

From: Scary Guy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 07:14:54 -0400 (EDT)

> Scary Guy wrote:
> > Right, but that sort of defeats the original purpose of using WindowList
> > in the first place: I like to be able to see which window I am
> > selecting, especially in the case that the window I am selecting is not
> > the previously selected one.  This helps when a large number of windows
> > are open.
> > 
> > Thanks

> Yeah, I guess someone's going to have to write another module for
> Fvwm. The Win95 mechanism is pretty good. You hit Alt+Tab, and a
> window with all the icons in "most recently visited" order appears.
> More presses of Tab (whilst holding down Alt) selects the icon.
> 
> Maybe if I have time....

Well, the funny thing I noticed is that when you actually click on the
windows, they get reordered in the WindowList, whereas if you just
select the window in the WindowList itself, they don't.  I myself am not
a programmer extraordinaire, but it seems as if this could be changed
relatively easily.  (That's why I posted this question in the first
place.)

It would be kewl to have a Win95-like mechanism though...

Thanks
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Tiefenback <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 09:03:56 -0400 (EDT)

I, for one (maybe the only one) would most appreciate a way to specify an
ordering in either the FvwmWinList module or in the internal WindowList. 
I use many windows in a typical session, spanning several pages, and it
would be very nice for me to be able to specify 

1) (*minimal wish*) alphabetic ordering, or 

2) a specified ordering, perhaps of the form found in the Style
directives, where the matches to the first window name would occor first,
then to the second name form, and so on, defaulting to alphabetic at the
end. 

This would be of great assistance to me, as I often have 20 windows open,
and reading down the list to find a name buried somewhere in there is
unnecessarily time-consuming (but !!!MUCH BETTER!!! than the HP-VUE
default of having to remember which page the window is on, and whether it
is iconized or buried under another window, or destroyed, or ....)

Michael Tiefenback

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 09:55:19 -0400

>>>>> "Scary" == Scary Guy <[email-masked]> writes:

>> More presses of Tab (whilst holding down Alt) selects the icon.

I imagine that simple modifications could be made to FvwmWinList to
give it a reordering option as well.

Scary> Well, the funny thing I noticed is that when you actually click
Scary> on the windows, they get reordered in the WindowList, whereas
Scary> if you just select the window in the WindowList itself, they
Scary> don't.  I myself am not a programmer extraordinaire, but it
Scary> seems as if this could be changed relatively easily.  (That's
Scary> why I posted this question in the first place.)

I just tried that, and observed that behavior as well.  It is a bug by
my way of thinking, although I'll have to look a little harder to
figure out what's really wrong.  It probably won't be fixed in the
next beta or the first offical release, but I'll see what I can do
(i.e. it'll make it to the TO-DO list as a bug).

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis Developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

         "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're just havin' a nightmare
             -- of course, we ARE still in Hell." (Gary Larson)
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Ron Olsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 11:23:13 -0600

> is iconized or buried under another window, or destroyed, or ....)

Have you tried the IconManager?

I use it all the time to manage a large number of
windows on several desktops; it's far better than using icons
or relying on the FvwmWinList.

You can have several window lists (xterm windows in one list,
emacs/vi windows in another list, etc.),
specify alphabetical ordering, iconify/deiconify/warp to windows
by using the mouse on the window lists, and more.

Check out the FvwmIconMan man page for details.

--
	Ron Olsen
	[email-masked]
	Boulder Colorado

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Jun 1996 21:22:51 +0200

>>>>> On Fri, 7 Jun 1996 07:14:54 -0400 (EDT), Scary Guy
>>>>> <[email-masked]> said:

  Scary> Well, the funny thing I noticed is that when you actually
  Scary> click on the windows, they get reordered in the WindowList,
  Scary> whereas if you just select the window in the WindowList
  Scary> itself, they don't.

I just tried this.  I use SloppyFocus and clicking into the xterms
doesn't help.  Nor does typing something into them.  Refer to my
earlier mail (from a few minutes ago) to the list for the whole story.
This is just an addendum...

kai
-- 
Life is hard and then you die.

---

From: Hector Peraza <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 11:34:56 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

> (i.e. it'll make it to the TO-DO list as a bug).

That behaviour seems to be caused by the SetFocus() call with the 3rd 
parameter as zero in FocusOn(), builtins.c.

The SetFocus function moves the focused window to the top of the list only
if the 3rd parameter is set to True, apparently for click-to-focus
operations only (is not very clear to me why only in that case, do we
really need that 3rd parameter?). 

The following patch corrects the problem, for both the WindowList menu and 
SloppyFocus prev/next.

--- builtins.c.orig	Sat Jun  8 11:15:06 1996
+++ builtins.c	Sat Jun  8 11:15:28 1996
@@ -211,7 +211,7 @@
       XWarpPointer(dpy, None, Scr.Root, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2,2);
   }
   UngrabEm();
-  SetFocus(t->w,t,0);
+  SetFocus(t->w,t,1);
 }

Regards,
Hector.