Subject: FVWM: starting apps in 2.0.42

From: Rick Marshall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 21:51:38 +1000

I've been using 2.0.41 for a while, no problems.

Have just compiled and installed 2.0.42 under Linux 3.12, gcc 2.7
and find that nothing is displayed except the fvwm pager and menus
if I click on the root window.

After some experimenting I found that starting fvwm as "fvwm2 -d myhost"
made everything work and yet all the tests I did indicated that 
$DISPLAY was set correctly. 

Have I missed something?

TIA

RJM
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 20:18:20 -0400

>>>>> "Rick" == Rick Marshall <[email-masked]> writes:

Rick> I've been using 2.0.41 for a while, no problems.

Rick> Have just compiled and installed 2.0.42 under Linux 3.12,

Huh?  Linux kernel 2.0 was just released, so I assume this must be one
of the distribution (eg RedHat/Slackware) version numbers.

Rick> gcc 2.7 and find that nothing is displayed except the fvwm pager
Rick> and menus if I click on the root window.

Rick> After some experimenting I found that starting fvwm as "fvwm2 -d
Rick> myhost" made everything work and yet all the tests I did
Rick> indicated that $DISPLAY was set correctly.

Rick> Have I missed something?

If your DISPLAY variable is set correctly, the -d shouldn't be needed.
Something else odd must be happening for you.

If fvwm & the pager started, they at least have the correct display
value.  You aren't trying to set that in any of your shell startup
files, are you?  It could be being set incorrectly for any programs
being Exec'ed if so.

Chuck