Subject: FVWM: Re: Ok, it's time (was Re: Just a heads up)

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Magill)
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 96 18:11:20 PDT

>I guess here is where we must decide.  Is 'fvwm2' forever to be the
>binary used with fvwm?  Or is it a temporary measure to wean people away
>from fvwm 1.xx ??

Software really shouldn't change names as versions change.  

Jeff
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Markus Gutschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 09:47:48 +0200

> Software really shouldn't change names as versions change.  

How about installing it as /usr/lib/X11/fvwm-2.0.42 and then
establishing a (symbolic) link from /usr/lib/X11/fvwm (or from
/usr/lib/X11/fvwm2 if you will)?

This is the way that I installed it. It has the benefit of easy
migration from one version to another without causing too much
confusion among the users. Whenever you intend to upgrade, you first
install the new binary without changing the link, but you make sure
that everybody knows about the change and should start testing,
whether his configuration files still work with the new release. After
a while, you change the link to the new release. Now, your users are
really supposed to use the new release, but if they have problems,
they can still get their work done by temporarily using the old
release. Finally after yet another grace period, you remove the old
release.

Markus