Subject: FVWM: Focus after a window dies

From: "James Wheelis Riely" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 16:42:41 +0100 (BST)

I'm using 2.0.41 with ClickToFocus set.  I have a problem when using
applications like netscape where windows pop up and then disappear
(say for searching).  The problem is that when a window dies, the
focus does not necessarily go back to the parent window (which had
the focus beforehand).  For example, I am using netscape and select a
postscript file, which pops a window for browsing postscript.  When I
g).  The problem is that when a window dies, the
focus does not necessarily go back to the parent window (which had
the focus beforehand).  For example, I am using netscape and select a
postscript file, which pops a window for browsing postscript.  When
I'm finished, I kill the postscript viewer, expecting the focus to
revert to netscape---but NO, the focus goes off to an icon, or to
FvwmButtons, or something like that.  Is there any way to get the
focus to return to the place whence it came??

Thanks,
James.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 11:55:33 -0400

>>>>> "James" == James Wheelis Riely <[email-masked]> writes:

James> I'm using 2.0.41 with ClickToFocus set.  I have a problem when using
James> applications like netscape where windows pop up and then disappear
James> (say for searching).  The problem is that when a window dies, the
James> focus does not necessarily go back to the parent window (which had
James> the focus beforehand).  For example, I am using netscape and select a
James> postscript file, which pops a window for browsing postscript.  When I
James> g).  The problem is that when a window dies, the
James> focus does not necessarily go back to the parent window (which had
James> the focus beforehand).  For example, I am using netscape and select a
James> postscript file, which pops a window for browsing postscript.  When
James> I'm finished, I kill the postscript viewer, expecting the focus to
James> revert to netscape---but NO, the focus goes off to an icon, or to
James> FvwmButtons, or something like that.  Is there any way to get the
James> focus to return to the place whence it came??

Known bug that I've been meaning to look into since I hit this
periodically myself, although I don't think I put that in the TO-DO or
the BUGS files.

Chuck

---

From: "Barry A. Warsaw" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 12:09:24 -0400

>>>>> "JWR" == James Wheelis Riely <[email-masked]> writes:

    JWR> I'm using 2.0.41 with ClickToFocus set.  I have a problem
    JWR> when using applications like netscape where windows pop up
    JWR> and then disappear (say for searching).  The problem is that
    JWR> when a window dies, the focus does not necessarily go back to
    JWR> the parent window (which had the focus beforehand).

I have seen this with many applications, including Tk-based apps,
XEmacs 19.13, and Netscape.  I have seen this problem exhibited on
most (all?) twm derived window managers, including ctwm, tvtwm, and
fvwm.  I've seen it on olwm and dtwm too which I don't *think* are twm
derivatives.  The only wm I haven't seen it on is my colleague's SGI
box.  I don't know what the standard IRIX wm is called, but that one
handled these focus problems okay.

This is the most annoying buglet about fvwm.  I'd love it if fvwm was
fixed!

-Barry