Subject: FVWM: [comp.sys.hp.apps] Re: Can HP Aptrex terminal download 3rd party WM?

From: Mark Borges <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Jun 1996 14:58:48 -0600

If anyone else is still curious, I received this reply from one of the
HP newsgroups.

I guess without inside connections/access to HP internal libs, it's
not possible.

------- Start of forwarded message -------
From: [email-masked] (Chris Hudel)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.hp.apps
Subject: Re: Can HP Aptrex terminal download 3rd party WM?
Date: 27 Jun 1996 18:53:13 GMT
Organization: Hewlett Packard (Panacom Division)
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>

Mark Borges ([email-masked]) wrote:
:
: So, does anyone now if the download protocol/mechanism to X terminals
: is generic enough to accept third party window managers? Or is this
: something proprietary such that HP would have to effectively rubber
: stamp any window managers that are downloaded?
:
Sorry but you can't download 3rd party window managers to run locally
inside the X Terminal.  The primary reason is that the code must be
compiled for the intel 960 and even then, you'd need access to HP's
internal libX11,libC libraries.

The Aptrex terminals will load Enware software and you can have the
following local window managers: dtwm,mwm,vuerx,vuewm,olwm, and twm.
(Twm is provided but not supported).

Cheers,
Chris.
--
Christopher Hudel -- [email-masked]  -- 
------- End of forwarded message -------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Jun 1996 16:48:18 -0500

>>>>> "mb" == Mark Borges <[email-masked]> writes:

mb> I guess without inside connections/access to HP internal libs, it's not
mb> possible.

Too bad.  HDS has a development kit for their terminals, and provide fvwm
in the base package.  I don't know what version it is.  BTW, I wonder if
this violates the fvwm license.

 - J<