Subject: FVWM: System-wide defaults

From: Steve Michnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 13:17:51 -0500

I've recently compiled fvwm2 and really like the package.  I'm getting
ready to roll this out to the user community and ran into a problem
getting the system-wide defaults to be picked up.
In the man page it states,
"First,  fvwm  will search for a file named .fvwm2rc (or .fvwmrc based
on how it was compiled - .fvwm2rc  is  the default) in the users home
directory.  Failing that, it will look for   /usr/lib/X11/fvwm/.fvwm2rc
for system-wide defaults.  If that file is not found, fvwm will be
basically useless."
So I copied a generic .fvwm2rc file to /usr/lib/X11/fvwm/.fvwm2rc.  I
moved my working .fvwm2rc out of the way and then reinitiated fvwm2.
The restart did not pick up the system-wide defaults as stated.  Is
there some work around for this.  It's really important that there be
a system default file, but as it stands right now it doesn't seem to
work.
-- 
Steve Michnick			NEC America, Inc.             
[email-masked]		Advanced Switching Laboratory 
(214)518-3570			1525 Walnut Hill Lane         
(214)518-3645 (FAX)		Irving, TX 75038
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Alan Shutko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 15:32:58 -0500

>>>>> "DE" == Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

DE> Steve Michnick <[email-masked]> writes:
>> The restart did not pick up the system-wide defaults as stated.

DE> My advice is to create a shell called "fvwm2". 

That's a useful workaround, but the documented behavior is much better
and should be fixed... anyone have ideas why it doesn't?

--
Alan Shutko <[email-masked]> - The Few, the Proud, the Remaining.
Old feminists never die ... they're just deliberated.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Wolfgang Steger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 13:09:26 +0200

>and should be fixed... anyone have ideas why it doesn't?
Maybe there's a doc error ?
Doesn't fvwm2 search in the directory /usr/lib/X11/fvwm2 ?
                                                   ^^^^^^
--
Wolfgang Steger						CAD-Systeme
Speedikon Software Ges.m.b.H			Tel:	+43 1 748 52 15
Hauffgasse 3-5					Fax:	+43 1 748 52 15 / 40
A-1110 Wien (Vienna/Austria)			EMail:	[email-masked]