Subject: FVWM: download fvwm to X terminal?

From: Mark Borges <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 11:19:24 -0600

Hi --

Is anyone here familiar with HP Aptrex X terminals?

Because of local network bandwidth problems, the fvwm users here are
in the position of slowly being pushed toward a window manager that is
downloadable to the X terminal itself. Currently that means mwm or
cde. We run fvwm on a host, so all the WM X traffic goes through the
network.

But those of us who have used fvwm until now like it and would like to
continue to do so as long as the performance penalty is not too great
(it's marginal now).

So, does anyone now if the download protocal/mechanism to X terminals
is generic enough to accept third party window managers? Or is this
something proprietary such that HP would have to effectively rubber
stamp any window managers that are downloaded?

Thanks for any tips or advice.

-- 
  -mb-
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Markus Gutschke <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Jun 1996 10:03:13 +0200

> stamp any window managers that are downloaded?

I do not know your X terminal, but I believe that many X terminals use
BOOTP/TFTP for downloading their software (and for determining their
IP address, the server name and a few other things). Possible
alternatives are combinations of ARP, DHCP, FTP and NFS, but those
protocols are less likely. So, as a general rule I believe that the
download protocol is very likely to agree with some RFC. Close
inspection of your installed software will probably reveal which
protocol is being used.

Unfortunately, this does not buy you much. You still need to figure
out how to build binaries that are executable on your X terminal. For
this, you are probably dependant on information from the manufacturer.

Markus