Subject: Re: FVWM: Two Questions About Menus

From: Lars Wirzenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 02:37:56 +0300

[ Note: I read this mailing list.  There is no need to CC me on replies,
  unless it is _really_ urgent.  I pay for my PPP connections.  Thanks. ]

[email-masked]:
> Also while looking thru the archives, I noticed a reference to an olvwm
> feature that will create a menu from a directory of executables (e.g.
> $HOME/bin).  Is there any plan for this feature.

I have a setup that does this, although not automatically.  It can't
be done completely automatically, since some programs must be run inside
an xterm, other need special arguments, and so on.  In practice, most
programs need special handling.  I use a configuration file to create the
menus, with one line per menu entry.  This allows me to add any suitable
options for each program, and also to put in a mini-icon before the menu
entry.  A bit like Win95, actually. :-)

My setup should still be in 
http://www.iki.fi/liw/misc/fvwm2config-0.1.tar.gz and
http://www.iki.fi/liw/misc/fvwm2debian-0.1.tar.gz .  It's been working
splendidly for me.

As soon as I have the time, I will start working on getting this into the
Debian Linux distribution (and possibly the master fvwm distribution, but
I'm not sure Chuck wants it there).

> One final thing.  I would like to thank you Chuck and all of the
> providers for this wonderful window manager.  I really don't know how I
> ever functioned here at work without it.

Ditto.  If Robert or Chuck ever show up in Helsinki, I'd like to buy them
a beer.  (Beer is a metasyntactic variable, and is meant to be replaced
with a suitable drink with or with alcohol.)

[ It's so nice to say things like that, since I know the chance of them
showing up is infinitesimal :-) ]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].