Subject: FVWM: How to switch between xterms and console terminal?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 11:21:38 -0400 (EDT)

How do I change sessions between an xterm and a console terminal and
vice versa? I am talking about the sessions like switching from MS
Windows and DOS.

I am using fvwm 1.24. Is this feature a part of the window manager or
part of xdm?

TIA.

Subbarao

-- 
[email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer - Facts are based on my limited experience and
             opinions are subject to change.
             Therefore, I question and speak for myself.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Jun 1996 18:20:09 +0200

>>>>> On Mon, 17 Jun 1996 11:21:38 -0400 (EDT),
>>>>> [email-masked] said:

  Subbarao> How do I change sessions between an xterm and a console
  Subbarao> terminal and vice versa? I am talking about the sessions
  Subbarao> like switching from MS Windows and DOS.

  Subbarao> I am using fvwm 1.24. Is this feature a part of the window
  Subbarao> manager or part of xdm?

Neither nor.  You can switch between the virtual consoles with the
Alt-F keys.  Alt-F1 is the first console, Alt-F2 the second, and so
on.

Within X, this has been rebound to Ctrl-Alt-F-key, so while running X
you can switch back to the first console with Ctrl-Alt-F1 and so on.

To switch *to* X, you must choose the first virtual console that
doesn't exist.  Often, people have six virtual consoles (Alt-F1 thru
Alt-F6), so Alt-F7 is where they find X.

This is all part of the Linux console driver, but some X support is
required, too.

Btw, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace unconditionally terminates the X server,
useful in case there is some emergency.

hth,
kai
-- 
Life is hard and then you die.

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 15:35:52 -0400

>>>>> "Kai" == Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]> writes:

Kai> Neither nor.  You can switch between the virtual consoles with
Kai> the Alt-F keys.  Alt-F1 is the first console, Alt-F2 the second,
Kai> and so on.

Kai> Within X, this has been rebound to Ctrl-Alt-F-key, so while
Kai> running X you can switch back to the first console with
Kai> Ctrl-Alt-F1 and so on.

Kai> To switch *to* X, you must choose the first virtual console that
Kai> doesn't exist.  Often, people have six virtual consoles (Alt-F1
Kai> thru Alt-F6), so Alt-F7 is where they find X.

Kai> This is all part of the Linux console driver, but some X support is
Kai> required, too.

That is all only under Linux.  Some other OS's have virtual terminal
support, but are accessed & behave differently.  For example, AIX uses
ALT-RightCtrl to cyclically switch between virtual terminals, but only
if you 'open' them explicitly.

Kai> Btw, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace unconditionally terminates the X server,
Kai> useful in case there is some emergency.

This should be for all X servers and there is a way to disable it as
well, I believe.

Chuck

---

From: [email-masked] (Emilio Lopes)
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 96 16:52 EST

>>>>> "CH" ==   <[email-masked]> wrote:

CH> This should be for all X servers and there is a way to disable it as
CH> well, I believe.

This is system dependent too. If you want to disable it under Linux,
put a "DontZap" in your XF86Config.

Emilio.

-- 
 Emilio C. Lopes <mailto:[email-masked]>
 FINPE, Instituto de Fisica      E-mail: [email-masked]
 Universidade de Sao Paulo       Phone : (+55 11) 818-6724 (Voice)
 Caixa Postal 66318                      (+55 11) 818-6715 (Fax)
 05389-970  Sao Paulo - SP
 BRAZIL
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].