Subject: FVWM: Re: HOSTDISPLAY variable

From: Johnny Tolliver <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 09:47:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 30 May 1996, Albrecht Kadlec wrote:

> 
> well, HOSTDISPLAY is apparently set to `hostname`,
> which doesn't include the domain in our domain.
> (and I can't change that)
> 
> Any way to tell fvwm the missing domain once and forever?

I had the same problem, way back with 1.2x on AIX. I fixed it by hacking
the source to put in the complete domain name using gethostbyname().

Note that setting and exporting HOSTDISPLAY in .xsession before launching
fvwm should work too, but it's not nearly as elegant and requires some
ugly code in .xsession to be general.

What are the chances of getting the official fvwm source to always use the
fully qualified hostname when setting HOSTDISPLAY? It should never hurt
anybody and will help those whose systems' hostname command returns the
short name instead of the fully qualified name.

Johnny Tolliver
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
([email-masked])

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 96 18:36:33 +0200

>>>>> Johnny Tolliver writes:

> Any way to tell fvwm the missing domain once and forever?

J> I had the same problem, way back with 1.2x on AIX. I fixed it by hacking
J> the source to put in the complete domain name using gethostbyname().

J> Note that setting and exporting HOSTDISPLAY in .xsession before launching
J> fvwm should work too, but it's not nearly as elegant and requires some
J> ugly code in .xsession to be general.

well, not that bad:
I have a script that does these sort of things: (getting some info from 
the 'who' output and then guessing the domain from the hostname.
I use this to set the DISPLAY in my .cshrc, so the DISPLAY is up-to-date 
on any rsh login.
Now I just set HOSTDISPLAY to be DISPLAY in my .xsession

works fine.

J> What are the chances of getting the official fvwm source to always use the
J> fully qualified hostname when setting HOSTDISPLAY? It should never hurt
J> anybody and will help those whose systems' hostname command returns the
J> short name instead of the fully qualified name.

useful would be a function, that'd output the "relative DISPLAY path",
given the client address (the server is as in HOSTDISPLAY - including
domain)

can someone come up with a load-time evaluated macro for this?

I couldn't get myself to use a perlscript, which is called from M4 to set a
variable, which is then used. -- too ugly.

albrecht
-- 
This time it seems to be another misplaced rendezvous.
This time, it's looking like another misplaced rendezvous,
With you, the parallel of you, you.
Could it be you, could it be you ?	-- Marillion
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].