Subject: Re: FVWM: System-wide defaults

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 14:46:37 -0400

Steve Michnick <[email-masked]> writes:
> I've recently compiled fvwm2 and really like the package.  I'm getting
> ready to roll this out to the user community and ran into a problem
> getting the system-wide defaults to be picked up.
> In the man page it states,
> "First,  fvwm  will search for a file named .fvwm2rc (or .fvwmrc based
> on how it was compiled - .fvwm2rc  is  the default) in the users home
> directory.  Failing that, it will look for   /usr/lib/X11/fvwm/.fvwm2rc
> for system-wide defaults.  If that file is not found, fvwm will be
> basically useless."
> So I copied a generic .fvwm2rc file to /usr/lib/X11/fvwm/.fvwm2rc.  I
> moved my working .fvwm2rc out of the way and then reinitiated fvwm2.
> The restart did not pick up the system-wide defaults as stated.  Is
> there some work around for this.  It's really important that there be
> a system default file, but as it stands right now it doesn't seem to
> work.

This seems to be the question of the day.

My advice is to create  a shell called "fvwm2".   Put the shell in the
users PATH, not the fvwm2 binary.  If the  user has no $HOME/.fvwm2rc,
create one using your generic file.

> -- 
> Steve Michnick			NEC America, Inc.             
> [email-masked]		Advanced Switching Laboratory 
> (214)518-3570			1525 Walnut Hill Lane         
(214)518-3645 (FAX)		Irving, TX 75038
> --
> Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
> To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
> message to [email-masked].
> To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Stephen Wray <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Jun 1996 10:07:30 +1200

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

I wondered if anyone else had seen the problems that the two modules FvwmForm
and FvwmScroll have in 16 bpp mode.

What I see is FvwmScroll coming up with just *black* decor. Very gothic,
but not terribly practical, and FvwmForm has just glorious black and white,
not even grey-scale.

What on earth is going on here? Is there some fundamental flaw in X that
applications can fail to use available colors? Or what?

- -- 
- ---
I used to think that my brain was the most wonderful organ in my body.

Then I realised who had been telling me this...
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
Stephen Wray <[email-masked]>

---

From: Juri Pakaste <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Jun 1996 17:31:19 +0300

>>>>> "SW" == Stephen Wray <[email-masked]> writes:

 SW> I wondered if anyone else had seen the problems that the two
 SW> modules FvwmForm and FvwmScroll have in 16 bpp mode.

 SW> What I see is FvwmScroll coming up with just *black* decor. Very
 SW> gothic, but not terribly practical, and FvwmForm has just
 SW> glorious black and white, not even grey-scale.

Yes, I've seen this, and so have others. In fact, there was some talk
about this problem on this list not so long ago, but IIRC there
weren't any comments from the authors/maintainers of the
modules. Hopefully it will be fixed before the release of 2.1.

-- 
// Juri Pakaste
// [email-masked]