Subject: FVWM: starting programs

From: Dan Norris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 09:41:21 -0500

I wrote yesterday and got some response, but I've checked it out and I don't 
think that the responses are correct.  My question was about what PATH fvwm 
uses to start programs from the root menus or from GoodStuff.  I was told that 
it uses 'sh' to start programs, like "sh netscape" or something like that.  
The suggestion was that the 'sh' default environment must be messed up.  I 
checked it out, I made a test user with no config files of his own (i.e. using 
the defaults) and was able to start up whatever I felt like.  

Any more suggestions?

Dan
-- 
Dan Norris                  Computer Science 
[email-masked]      University of Illinois
http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/d-norri/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Greg J. Badros" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 12:05:23 -0400 (EDT)

> the defaults) and was able to start up whatever I felt like.  

Try fixing the environment in which fvwm runs. For example, if it's
started in a .xinitrc or .xsession file, make sure you set an appropriate
path *there*.  What I do is have .xinitrc source /etc/env, and /etc/env 
sources ~/.env if it exists.  /etc/zshenv sources /etc/env and sets zsh
specific environement variables.  etc... it gets complicated with all the
different shells, if you're trying to support multiple, each with its own
invocation methods, but it's doable.

Back to the point, if the path is set in fvwm's environment, the programs
that fvwm starts should be found w/o a problem.

Hope that helps.

Greg J. Badros
[email-masked]
Seattle, WA  98103-4067
http://www.cs.duke.edu/~gjb