Subject: FVWM: pages and desktops and the yellow brick road

From: Maxwell Spangler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 10:40:32 -0400 (EDT)

How about a quick explaination (to save my lazy mind from having to read
the manuals.) of what a desktop and a page is?

Right now I have fvwm setup on SCO (amazing! it compiled.) With FvwmPager
0 2.  Does this mean 4 desktops? I can't move from one to the other
without clicking on the Pager to do so.  As this is SCO not Linux, I also
have only a single 1024x768 screen, with no scrolling or panning to make
it appear 1600x1200 or something. This setup works, but I think it'd be
nice to have six+ windows on a "page?" and just scrol arond rather than
switching to other desktops all the time.

Any tips on how to set things up better? Thanks!

> > He says that as it stands, virtual desks add little to the virtual
> > page concept.
> Then he hasn't been opening enough windows :-)
> I use a 3x3 desktop and until very recently only used a single desk.

Maxwell Spangler, Software Developer, One Call Concepts LS, Inc. Hanover, MD

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Barton E. Schaefer)
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 22:13:49 -0700

Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]> wrote:
} 
} > He says that as it stands, virtual desks add little to the virtual
} > page concept.
} 
} Then he hasn't been opening enough windows :-)
} 
} I use a 3x3 desktop and until very recently only used a single desk.
} However, on a recent project, I found I was opening more and more
} windows.  I like to keep the number of windows per page as small as
} possible to avoid overlap.

Couldn't agree more.  I use a combination of several 2x2 desktops (with
alt+arrow keys mapped to change pages), StartsOnDesk styles to place my
apps on the appropriate desks, and both StickyIcons and StubbornIcons
(yup, 1.24r) so that any app I've iconified follows me around.  A quick
double-click takes me back to both the app and its desk.  This is very
handy with, for example, Z-Mail, which changes the color of the icon
when new mail arrives.  (Since I can selectively iconify, the icons
take up less space than leaving FvwmWinList on the page, and they're
much faster to use than waiting for a transient FvwmWinList to pop up.)

Still lobbying for StubbornIcons, even as a global rather than a Style,
in 2.0.* ...
-- 
Bart Schaefer                     Vice President, Technology, Z-Code Software
[email-masked]                  Division of NCD Software Corporation
http://www.well.com/www/barts           http://www.ncdsoft.com/ZMail/