Subject: FVWM: using none.xpm

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 13:28:13 +0100

Hi Folks

Using fvwm 2.0.42 on Irix 6.2. I tend to use the titlebars of windows to
convey lots of information, especially xterms where I have the current
working directory shown. I like to see this information even when iconised,
so I use e.g.
	Style "XTerm"       Icon none.xpm
This gives me an icon with the window title in a long thin bar, which
is just what I want. However, the width of the icon bar is calculated
to be the right size for the text when the window is *first* iconised. If
the title changes and the window iconised again the width isn't
recalculated. This can only be forced by doing an explicit Recapture or
Restart. Does anyone know a way around this? Is it a bug or a feature? :-)

An additional thing I've noticed: when using none.xpm, on being de-iconised
the window pops up with focus, but *under* existing windows. If the window
is given a real xpm as icon it pops up on top. This is using SmartPlacement
but on a crowded screen with big windows.

And, er, one more thing while I'm here :-). Some applications (such as
netscape ... boo hiss) produce their own builtin icon instead of nothing
when told Style none.xpm. Anyone know of a way to beat such clients into
submission?

Cheers to everyone who works on fvwm ... it's the best.

Ric

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Richard J. Lister    [email-masked] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Research Assistant, Neural Computing Research Group
                  Aston University, Birmingham B4 7ET, UK
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.ncrg.aston.ac.uk/~listerrj/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 11:23:53 +0100

Hi Folks

First off, thanks to Rasmus Tamstorf and Chuck for letting me know that
my posts are making it to the list.

Here's some more data points on the none.xpm/Iconify anomaly.

fvwm 2.0.42 on Irix 6.2.

I'm using the following sort of thing:

Style "*"       Icon none.xpm, SmartPlacement, NoPPosition
Mouse 2         I       A       Iconify

On the mouse 2 event in an iconified window it is de-iconified but
not raised, i.e. it comes up *under* all other windows on the screen. If I
use real pixmaps instead it is always raised as well.

I have got around it by using the following function instead:

Mouse 2         I       A       Iconify-and-Raise

AddToFunc Iconify-and-Raise     "I" Iconify
+                               "I" Raise

This works fine.

Ric