Subject: FVWM: Keysyms again.

From: [email-masked] (David Kennedy)
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 15:31:57 +0100

This is becoming a very FAQ...and its not directly fvwm related.

I have a key on my Sun (type 5?) keyboard, beside the F keys,
with nothing on it (beside 'Help'). I'd like for it to be
'Lock Screen'. Running 'xev' shows it up as 'NoSymbol'.

This isn't the right keysym (or whatever the correct term is)
for fvwm obviously as it does not work. Question - what is the
correct way of finding the 'name' of that key?

ObFvwmBugsAndRequests:
	(a) StartsOnPage would be very very useful.
	(b) Window tend to uniconise/pop up on the 'wrong' page if iconised with their
		titlebar slightly offscreen.
	(c) Sometimes after certain events (like screen locking, dismissing some
		apps) key bindings don't work. Moving the mouse over a window and
		back out to the root window then allows the bindings to work
		again. (Like F keys to jump pages etc)

-- 
David Kennedy, Dept. of Pure & Applied Physics, Queen's University of Belfast
Email: [email-masked] | URL: http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~dcjk/
      Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into yours and join the fun!
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 11:49:14 -0400

>>>>> "DK" == David Kennedy <[email-masked]> writes:

DK> This is becoming a very FAQ...and its not directly fvwm related.

I have some info about the Sun keyboards in the FAQ already (question
19), and I just put a reference to xev & xkeycaps as well.

DK> I have a key on my Sun (type 5?) keyboard, beside the F keys,
DK> with nothing on it (beside 'Help'). I'd like for it to be
DK> 'Lock Screen'. Running 'xev' shows it up as 'NoSymbol'.

DK> This isn't the right keysym (or whatever the correct term is)
DK> for fvwm obviously as it does not work. Question - what is the
DK> correct way of finding the 'name' of that key?

Did you try xkeycaps to see if it knows what it is?  I would have
expected xev to work as well though...

Anyone out there using a Sun box w/ a type 5 keyboard have anything to
say?  Also, I remember some recent discussions on this list about the
Sun type 5 keyboards - try searching the archives for 'type 5' and see
if it comes back with anything relevant.

DK> ObFvwmBugsAndRequests:
DK>     (a) StartsOnPage would be very very useful.

I imagine it would.  When I get a chance, I'll do it, but it may not
be before the first official release, as I have to start limiting what
new stuff goes in so I can actually get it out the door sometime
soon...

DK>     (b) Window tend to uniconise/pop up on the 'wrong' page if
DK>         iconised with their titlebar slightly offscreen.

I tried quickly to reproduce this when you reported it the other day,
but couldn't.  Anyone else out there seeing this?

DK>     (c) Sometimes after certain events (like screen locking,
DK>         dismissing some apps) key bindings don't work. Moving the
DK>         mouse over a window and back out to the root window then
DK>         allows the bindings to work again. (Like F keys to jump
DK>         pages etc)

Hm.  Interesting.  I'll try and investigate this (it may be related to
some cleanup in the keybinding stuff that I wanted to look into
anyways).

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis Developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're just havin' a nightmare
            -- of course, we are still in Hell." (Gary Larson)
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 May 1996 17:59:36 +0200

>>>>> On Wed, 22 May 1996 15:31:57 +0100,
>>>>> [email-masked] (David Kennedy) said:

  David> This is becoming a very FAQ...and its not directly fvwm related.
  David> I have a key on my Sun (type 5?) keyboard, beside the F keys,
  David> with nothing on it (beside 'Help'). I'd like for it to be
  David> 'Lock Screen'. Running 'xev' shows it up as 'NoSymbol'.

This was the right way to find out the name of that key.
Find out the number of the key (also using xev), then use the
following command in your .xinitrc or .xsession or whatever file:
xmodmap -e 'keycode 42 = bla'
Choose the right number (instead of 42), and choose a keysym that
actually exists (look at <X11/keysymdef.h> for those).

kai
-- 
Life is hard and then you die.

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 96 12:01:54 EDT

ch> I have some info about the Sun keyboards in the FAQ already (question
    ch> 19), and I just put a reference to xev & xkeycaps as well.

    ch> Anyone out there using a Sun box w/ a type 5 keyboard have
    ch> anything to say?

Not really, what's the problem? :)

It's certainly true that the key is unbound in "standard" X11 (I just
tried it with X11R6.1 on my Sun with a type 5 keyboard, and it's
"NoSymbol", or unbound).

But so what?  Just bind it to something and it'll work fine.  I used
xkeycaps to bind it to the symbol "Return" (I couldn't find a symbol
called "LockScreen" or variant anywhere), and voila!  Now I have two
return keys on my keyboard.

No big deal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 Senior Software Engineer                                   Bay Networks, Inc.
-----------------------------------------------==<http://www.baynetworks.com/>-
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     These are my opinions--Bay Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].