Subject: Re: FVWM: FVWM focus bug?

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 May 1996 07:59:16 -0400

----------
Danny Sung <[email-masked]> writes:
> I'm having a rather peculiar problem with FVWM (at least I think
> it's fvwm's fault, since other window managers don't seem to
> have a problem).  For some reason, the focus will never go onto a
> program that I write.  I've tried setting 'Style "*" ClickToFocus'
> and SloppyFocus.  Neither have any affect.  Whether I move the mouse
> onto the window, select the window title bar, resize, whatever.
> 
> Here are the relevant files (a sample X program that has this problem,
> and my ~/.fvwmrc file):
> 

Try adding:

Style "*" Lenience

to your .fvwm2rc.  From the man page:

          Lenience instructs fvwm to ignore the convention in the
          ICCCM  which  states  that  if  an application sets the
          input field of the wm_hints structure to False, then it
          never  wants  the  window  manager to give it the input
          focus.  The only application that I know of which needs
          this  is  sxpm,  and that is a silly bug with a trivial
          fix and has no overall effect on  the  program  anyway.
          Rumor  is  that  some  older applications have problems
          too.

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 09:45:30 -0400

>>>>> "Danny" == Danny Sung <[email-masked]> writes:

Danny> I'm having a rather peculiar problem with FVWM (at least I
Danny> think it's fvwm's fault, since other window managers don't seem
Danny> to have a problem).  For some reason, the focus will never go
Danny> onto a program that I write.  I've tried setting 'Style "*"
Danny> ClickToFocus' and SloppyFocus.  Neither have any affect.
Danny> Whether I move the mouse onto the window, select the window
Danny> title bar, resize, whatever.

Danny> Here are the relevant files (a sample X program that has this
Danny> problem, and my ~/.fvwmrc file):

I just tried your program w/ my setup (ClickToFocus, not using
Lenience) under my local fvwm 2.x development version (currently just
slightly different than 2.0.42) and fvwm 1.24r, and it took the focus
just fine under both of them.  This was under AIX.  I can try it under
my Linux box when I get home (kernel 1.2.13 ELF) but I don't think
it'll be necessary.

Danny> Note that TitleFocusColor, TitleFocusColor, TitleUnfocusColor,
Danny> and TitleJustify are my hacks (does anyone want the diffs?  I
Danny> haven't had time to clean them up, but they're getting the job
Danny> done at least).

I'd be curious to see them.

Danny> I'm pretty sure that my changes aren't what's causing the
Danny> problem.  I just tried it with a clean 2.0.42 and
Danny> new-system.fvwmrc in the sample.fvwmrc/ directory, and "xtest"
Danny> had the same problem, so the problem is most likely not my
Danny> changes.

Danny> In any case, it's only programs that I write that have this
Danny> problem.  Any other program I compile or run doesn't seem to
Danny> exhibit this behavior.

Danny> BTW, I'm using XFree86-3.0.2 and Linux v1.3.88.  Any insight
Danny> into this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Actually, it might be the link order of your X libs.  I compiled it
like so:

          xlc xtest.c -o xtest -lXaw -lXt -lXmu -lXext -lX11

But from your Imakefile, it looks like you are putting the X11 lib
before the others.  Bad move, since the Xaw (Xm too) & Xt override
things in X11 which cause oddities if you change the link order.  So I
tried your link order:

          xlc xtest.c -o xtest -lX11 -lXt -lXaw -lXmu -lXext

And I saw the same problem you are having.  So, change your link order
to have Xaw before Xt before X11, and things should be ok.

Chuck