Subject: Re: FVWM: CDE tips?

From: Henrique Martins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 15:43:29 -0700

(-: Not an official HP response :-)

> Well, with the upgrade of our OS to Solaris-2.5 comes this beast known
> as CDE 1.0.0.
> ...
> And this thing that looks like a dashboard to switch between virtual
> workspaces; reminded me some of cvtwm.

  CDE is a rework of HP's VUE, done by/for the COSE group (probably HP,
  SUN, IBM, SCO, and maybe others.)  The inter process (module, tool or
  whatever) communication mechanism was changed from HP's BMS (broadcast
  message server) to Sun's ToolTalk.

  According to its author, CTWM, although not based on VUE uses the same
  "rooms/workspace" concept. However CTWM is a derivative of TWM, as is
  FWWM.

  VUE sources ~/.vueprofile, instead of ~/.profile, at the end of its
  initialization.  To use VUE's login screen and authentication but run
  some other window manager, the easiest way is to exec some other script
  at the end of ~/.vueprofile.  If CDE uses a similar mechanism this will
  be the way to go. I would bet this will be called ~/.dtprofile. 

  This is (more or less) what I do to run FVWM from ~/.vueprofile:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VUE=true
export VUE

. ${HOME}/.commonProfile       # shell (almost) independent initialization

exec ${HOME}/.x11start         # start X the old fashioned way
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  Somewhere within ~/.x11start (or its derivatives) I invoke fvwm.

  -- Henrique ([email-masked])
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].