Subject: FVWM: Icons dont work

From: Matjaz Mencej <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 08:14:31 +0000 (METDST)

Hello,

I am experiencing a problem with icons using fvwm ver 1.24.

They simply dont show at all, so my screen looks bad and all teh 
stuff is very small. The line in system.fvwmrc looks like this:

*GoodStuff      Kill    rbomb.xpm       Destroy

this is just one example. The paths are set as:

ModulePath /usr/lib/X11/fvwm:/usr/bin/X11
PixmapPath /usr/include/X11/pixmaps/
IconPath   /usr/include/X11/bitmaps/

I am running the fvwm on a DEC AlphaStation using DEC Unix 

I hope that someone van help me resolve my problem.

Matjaz Mencej
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 10:02:10 -0400

Did you compile fvwm with the m4 option turned on?  If so, you
probably need to quote the Pixmap and Icon paths as include is a
reserved word in most implementations of m4 and so your paths will get
munged.  The default m4 quotes are `' so you might try

PixmapPath `/usr/include/X11/pixmaps'
IconPath `/usr/include/X11/bitmaps'

You might want to use a different quoting scheme if you need to use
those quote characters in other parts of your .fvwmrc.  In that case,
put a line like

changequote({,})
PixmapPath {/usr/include/X11/pixmaps}
IconPath {/usr/include/X11/bitmaps}

at the beginning of the .fvwmrc.

Alternatively, 1.24 might have a command line options to set the quote
characters.  Something like -m4-squote and -m4-equote to set the start
and end quotes respectively.  I don't remember when that became part
of 1.24, though, so if you're not running the latest you may not have
it.

Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]