Subject: FVWM: XV and FvwmBackground

From: Jamie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 02:41:48 -0400 (EDT)

I currently use xv to occaisionally put a certain .gif or .jpg as a 
background in my xwindows. Unfortunately, when I do this, the moment I 
cange desktops, FvwmBackground covers it, and the only way I see to get 
it back is restart xv. I know in a previous fvwm2 configuration, which I 
have since accidentally deleted, this did not happen... What causes it 
and how can I fix it?

- Jamie 
-- 
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
|The shadows of life cover the sunlight of the soul, and block out the| 
|radiance that all have within them, leaving only darkness behind.    |
+-----------------------------+---------------------+-----------------+
[email-masked] | [email-masked] | [email-masked] |
+-----------------------------+---------------------+-----------------+

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: kendrick vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 10:09:48 -0400 (EDT)

> have since accidentally deleted, this did not happen... What causes it 

Why don't you try not specifying FvwmBackGround in your .fvwm2rc ... In
ctwm, I used to have the same problem, and the way I fixed it was to take
the default background color off... sorry if this sounds stupid (just
haven't contrib'd to the list and am trying desperately)...
			-peace

--====----====----=== http://www.fiu.edu/~kvarga01 ===----====----====--

-- IRC : Drama -- This Space Intentionally Left Blank - [email-masked] --

---

From: Jamie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 10:56:44 -0400 (EDT)

> -- IRC : Drama -- This Space Intentionally Left Blank - [email-masked] --

Basically, I do want the FvwmBacker madule active, as I normally don't 
have backgrounds, but when I do want a background, I like ti to stay. One 
thing I have found to work:

Using FvwmTalk, redefine the appropriate page(s) to call 'xpmroot 
<image>' rather than '-solid <color>'.

This is still a bit cludgy, but works.

- Jamie

---

From: Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 10:30:39 -0400

>> moment I cange desktops, FvwmBackground covers it, and the only way
>> I see to get it back is restart xv. I know in a previous fvwm2
>> configuration, which I have since accidentally deleted, this did
>> not happen...

I have a hard time believing this.  If you've got FvwmBacker set up to
put up a root window whenever you switch desks, it's going to do it.
There's no way for it to know you've modified the root window after
doing so (yes, I've tried it and looked at the code before coming to
that conclusion).  Perhaps you didn't have your backing command exit
so FvwmBacker hung?

> Basically, I do want the FvwmBacker madule active, as I normally
> don't have backgrounds, but when I do want a background, I like ti
> to stay. One thing I have found to work:

Write a function to toggle FvwmBacker on/off.  You could write it so
that you run the function out of a menu that will call xv with
whatever arguments you want to set the root and then do a killModule
on FvwmBacker.  You can then turn it back on anytime you want through
another menu item.

Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]