Subject: FVWM: Repost: using none.xpm

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 19:47:49 +0100

I seem to be having a bit of trouble reaching the outside world with mail,
so this is a repost of my earlier message. I'd greatly appreciate it
if a couple of people could just let me know this has made it to the list.
Thanks a lot,
Ric.

Repost:

Hi Folks

Using fvwm 2.0.42 on Irix 6.2. I tend to use the titlebars of windows to
convey lots of information, especially xterms where I have the current
working directory shown. I like to see this information even when iconised,
so I use e.g.
	Style "XTerm"       Icon none.xpm
This gives me an icon with the window title in a long thin bar, which
is just what I want. However, the width of the icon bar is calculated
to be the right size for the text when the window is *first* iconised. If
the title changes and the window iconised again the width isn't
recalculated. This can only be forced by doing an explicit Recapture or
Restart. Does anyone know a way around this? Is it a bug or a feature? :-)

An additional thing I've noticed: when using none.xpm, on being de-iconised
the window pops up with focus, but *under* existing windows. If the window
is given a real xpm as icon it pops up on top. This is using SmartPlacement
but on a crowded screen with big windows.

And, er, one more thing while I'm here :-). Some applications (such as
netscape ... boo hiss) produce their own builtin icon instead of nothing
when told Style none.xpm. Anyone know of a way to beat such clients into
submission?

Cheers to everyone who works on fvwm ... it's the best.

Ric

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Richard J. Lister    [email-masked] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Research Assistant, Neural Computing Research Group
                  Aston University, Birmingham B4 7ET, UK
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.ncrg.aston.ac.uk/~listerrj/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].