Subject: Re: FVWM: Silent fail!

From: [email-masked] (David Kennedy)
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 16:12:06 +0100

Dan suggested trying this:
>  truss fvwm2 2>/var/tmp/fvwm.truss

Mmm, that gave this result. I'm unsure what the end few lines mean, does it
look everywhere it knows of and then fail? 
-----
execve("/home7/dcjk/bin/fvwm", 0xEFFFF158, 0xEFFFF160)  argc = 1
open("/dev/zero", O_RDONLY)                     = 3
mmap(0x00000000, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE|PROT_EXEC, MAP_PRIVATE, 3, 0) = 0xEF
7C0000
open("/opt/SUNWspro/lib/libXpm.so.4.8", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
open("/usr/openwin/lib/libXpm.so.4.8", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
open("/usr/lib/libXpm.so.4.8", O_RDONLY)        Err#2 ENOENT
open("/opt/X11R5/lib/libXpm.so.4.8", O_RDONLY)  Err#2 ENOENT
open("/usr/lib/hpnp/lib/libXpm.so.4.8", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
open("/usr/local/lib/libXpm.so.4.8", O_RDONLY)  Err#2 ENOENT
open("/star/lib/libXpm.so.4.8", O_RDONLY)       Err#2 ENOENT
open("/usr/ucblib/libXpm.so.4.8", O_RDONLY)     Err#2 ENOENT
open("/star/share/libXpm.so.4.8", O_RDONLY)     Err#2 ENOENT
open("/soft1/xanadu/sol/lib/libXpm.so.4.8", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
open("/usr/openwin/lib/libXpm.so.4.8", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
open("./libXpm.so.4.8", O_RDONLY)               Err#2 ENOENT
open("/usr/openwin/lib/libXpm.so.4.8", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
open("/usr/lib/libXpm.so.4.8", O_RDONLY)        Err#2 ENOENT
ld.so.1: /home7/dcjk/bin/fvwm: fatal: libXpm.so.4.8: can't open file: errno=2
write(2, " l d . s o . 1 :   / h o".., 78)      = 78
getpid()                                        = 11929 [11928]
        *** process killed ***
------
The calling section of .xinitrc looks like this:

setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH ${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:${HOME}/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH				^^^ This is where the Xpm libs are.
<Call window manager> 

The libs dir looks like this:
drwx------   2 dcjk     staff        512 Apr 30 14:21 X11/
-rw-r--r--   1 dcjk     staff     135416 Apr 30 14:17 libXpm.a
lrwxrwxrwx   1 dcjk     staff         13 Apr 30 14:17 libXpm.so -> libXpm.so.4.8
-rw-r--r--   1 dcjk     staff      98000 Apr 30 14:17 libXpm.so.4.8
-rw-r--r--   1 dcjk     staff      21736 May  1 12:13 libfvwm.a
-rw-r--r--   1 dcjk     staff     248696 May  1 14:49 libfvwm2.a

Oh wait!						^^^^^^^^
Should this not be libfvwm.a if I asked for it to build fvwm and not fvwm2??
We don't have (never used) fvwm1 so there was no need to name it fvwm2 really,
it only caused confusion.

This might be the problem then? If so (seems likely but I don't understand much of
this!) how can I tell the makefile that I *want* fvwm and not fvwm2 in *all* cases?

-- 
David Kennedy, Dept. of Pure & Applied Physics, Queen's University of Belfast
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Email: [email-masked] | URL: http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~dcjk/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 May 1996 11:49:25 -0400

----------
> look everywhere it knows of and then fail? 

Yes.   Sure is looking a  lot  of places, including /usr/openwin/lib 3
times.  You  want  to  pay attention  to  this,  it has  an  impact on
performance.

> ld.so.1: /home7/dcjk/bin/fvwm: fatal: libXpm.so.4.8: can't open file: errno=2

I assume $HOME is /home7/dcjk?  Doesn't look like you got it into your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH				^^^ This is where the X

Not sure why you are using "setenv".  (I am not a csh user.)  Try the
more common "/bin/sh" syntax:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:${HOME}/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

> this!) how can I tell the makefile that I *want* fvwm and not fvwm2 in *all* 

Don't worry about the .a, it's for linking modules against.  It is not
used at run time.

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Stefan 'Stetson' Skoglund" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 09:52:29 +0200

Could it be that the libraries is in $HOME/lib and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH points to $HOME/libs ???
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].