Subject: FVWM: Global fvwm configuration

From: Carlos Carreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 16:49:40 +0200

I am the manager of a few workstations and I would like to provide a basic
fvwm configuration file for all the users in my network. My interest is in
maintaining a menu structure which is updated everytime a new application is
installed so it can be accessed from the workspace menu by everyone. Besides,
each user should be able to configure his fvwm with his $HOME/.fvwm2rc.

Is it possible to do this with fvwm2? How? I have tried many things, but I
have not been successful. Here is what is happennig:

 - If there is a $HOME/.fvwm2rc, no other configuration file seems to be read
   during configuration.

 - If there is no $HOME/.fvwm2rc, I can't find where the default configuration
   should reside to be read by fvwm2. It is not even clear how the file should
   be called: .fvwm2rc or system.fvwmrc. I have tried both names in several
   places but none of them worked:

	/usr/lib/X11/fvwm/
	/usr1/lib/X11/fvwm/	(I have X11 in /usr1)
	/usr1/lib/X11/twm/
	/usr8/lib/fvwm/		(fvwm is installed in /usr8)

 - I also tried to call fvwm2 with the option -f "Read <file>" but that didn't
   work either. (What am I doing wrong?)

I have version 2.0.42. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks in advance!

Carlos Carreras
Univ. Pol. Madrid

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 May 1996 18:34:02 +0200

>>>>> On Tue, 28 May 1996 16:49:40 +0200, Carlos Carreras
>>>>> <[email-masked]> said:

  Carlos> I am the manager of a few workstations and I would like to
  Carlos> provide a basic fvwm configuration file for all the users in
  Carlos> my network. My interest is in maintaining a menu structure
  Carlos> which is updated everytime a new application is installed so
  Carlos> it can be accessed from the workspace menu by
  Carlos> everyone. Besides, each user should be able to configure his
  Carlos> fvwm with his $HOME/.fvwm2rc.

  Carlos> Is it possible to do this with fvwm2? How? I have tried many
  Carlos> things, but I have not been successful. Here is what is
  Carlos> happennig:

You can make a default file that reads in several files from system
directories and from the user home directories.  The system
directories could define several menus which the user files could then
add to.

  Carlos> - If there is no $HOME/.fvwm2rc, I can't find where the
  Carlos>    default configuration should reside to be read by
  Carlos>    fvwm2. It is not even clear how the file should be
  Carlos>    called: .fvwm2rc or system.fvwmrc. I have tried both
  Carlos>    names in several places but none of them worked:

You can find out the right directory by looking at Fvwm.tmpl.  There
is a section that defines FvwmBinDir, FvwmDir, FvwmLibDir and
FvwmManPath.  One of them should be it :-)

I think the system default one should also be called .fvwm2rc.

kai
-- 
Life is hard and then you die.

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 12:04:08 -0400

>>>>> "Carlos" == Carlos Carreras <[email-masked]> writes:

Carlos> Is it possible to do this with fvwm2? How?

It should certainly be possible, and I'll be addressing some of these
problems in the next release.

Carlos> I have tried many things, but I have not been successful. Here
Carlos> is what is happennig:

Carlos>  - If there is a $HOME/.fvwm2rc, no other configuration file
Carlos>    seems to be read during configuration.

This is true, currently.

Carlos>  - If there is no $HOME/.fvwm2rc, I can't find where the
Carlos>    default configuration should reside to be read by fvwm2. It
Carlos>    is not even clear how the file should be called: .fvwm2rc
Carlos>    or system.fvwmrc. I have tried both names in several places
Carlos>    but none of them worked:

Carlos>         /usr/lib/X11/fvwm/
Carlos>         /usr1/lib/X11/fvwm/     (I have X11 in /usr1)
Carlos>         /usr1/lib/X11/twm/
Carlos>         /usr8/lib/fvwm/         (fvwm is installed in /usr8)

It doesn't currently look for any system.fvwm2rc file.  However, it
should be looking in 'FvwmDir' for .fvwm2rc if it can't find it in
$HOME.

For the next beta release I plan to make it look explicitly for
system.fvwm2rc in the 'FvwmDir' directory before it tries to read
on by default (haven't decided yet).

Carlos>  - I also tried to call fvwm2 with the option -f "Read <file>"
Carlos>    but that didn't work either. (What am I doing wrong?)

Hm.  Now that should have worked...

Carlos> I have version 2.0.42. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks
Carlos> in advance!

Well, another way is you could have all of your users read a file at
the top of thier .fvwm2rc files that has all of your explicit menu
definitions and such:

  # top of ~/.fvwm2rc
  Read /path/to/your/system.fvwm2rc
  # rest of user's rc file follows, which may override these things...

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis Developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

         "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're just havin' a nightmare
             -- of course, we ARE still in Hell." (Gary Larson)
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].