Subject: FVWM: Garbage (escape characters ?) in window names - fvwm2 on Digital Unix

From: Aharon Schkolnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 11:01:08 +0300

Many of my windows have names which start with 1](B-H or (B -H. This
seems to happen only to digital appplications, like dxterm, dxconsole,
etc. Has anyone else seen this ? Any suggestions ?

TIA. 

--
  The day is short, and the work is great,     |   Aharon Schkolnik
  and the laborers are lazy, and the reward    |   [email-masked]
  is great, and the Master of the house is     |
  impatient. - Ethics Of The Fathers Ch. 2     |
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Aharon Schkolnik <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 May 1996 08:44:24 +0300

Hi all (especially Chuck) -

I just got off the phone with Digital, and I have more information.

It seems that the problem probably has to do with Hebrew - ie. most of
you out there are very unlikely to have seen it. Anyway, what they
told me is that the window and icon names are compound text - not
regular text. That means that the string includes binary information -
apparently the escapes I am seeing. They said that fvwm is probably
treating the strings as regular text, and not as compound text. Can
anyone confirm (or preferably fix) this ?

TIA.

BTW. - Anyone with Digital UNIX can reproduce this behavior by
installing the worldwide kit (no license necessary).

>>>>> "Aharon" == Aharon Schkolnik <[email-masked]> writes:

    Aharon> Many of my windows have names which start with 1](B-H or
    Aharon> (B -H. This seems to happen only to digital appplications,
    Aharon> like dxterm, dxconsole, etc. Has anyone else seen this ?
    Aharon> Any suggestions ?

    Aharon> TIA.

    Aharon> -- The day is short, and the work is great, | Aharon
    Aharon> Schkolnik and the laborers are lazy, and the reward |
    Aharon> [email-masked] is great, and the Master of the
    Aharon> house is | impatient. - Ethics Of The Fathers Ch. 2 |

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 11:38:06 -0400

>>>>> "Aharon" == Aharon Schkolnik <[email-masked]> writes:

Aharon> Dear Chuck,

Hello.

Aharon>         I hope you don't mind me writing to you directly. I sent this
Aharon> problem to the mailing list, which I asssume you read, but got no
Aharon> response.

Yes, I do read it and I saw your notes the other day.  I've been
pretty busy lately, which delays responses (obviously).  Sometimes I'm
able to give near instantanious responses, sometimes it takes a few
days, and sometimes I may forget to respond altogether. :)

I was also waiting to see if anyone else using fvwm under DEC Alphas
had anything to say about the problem.

I do normally prefer people to go through the mailing list, but the
occasional note sent directly to me is ok (and for some notes, more
appropriate).

Aharon> The people I spoke to at Digital about this problem said they
Aharon> had been in contact with you in the past,

Hmm.  Perhaps, but it's not coming to me right now.  If so, I probably
have their notes saved.  I'll have to take a look when I get a chance
(I have a LOT of fvwm related mail in several folders right now).
Otherwise, they may have been in contact with Rob before he 'retired'.

Aharon> and suggested I write to you - so here goes.

Aharon>         To make a long story short, can you tell me if the
Aharon> fvwm code relates to window and icon titles as compound text,
Aharon> or as regular text ?  For details, please read the following,
Aharon> and if that is not enough, I'll be happy to supply any other
Aharon> information that I can.

The quick response is that I believe fvwm is treating all text as just
normal ASCII strings right now.  There isn't any international text
support in there right now.

I've been considering adding some support, but it hasn't been high on
my list.  Getting docs updated and taking care of performance issues &
bugs has been has been more important, which I'm sure you'll agree.

Then I'll get the first official release out the door so I can start
handling the bigger work items I have planned for fvwm.  This may fall
into that category, I'm not sure having not really investigated it
yet.

Although this has been in the back of my mind, I never put it on the
TO-DO list as an investigation item, so I'll do so now.

I believe that some of the folks on this list from Japan have done
some work in this area as well.  Perhaps they can also offer some
insight.

Chuck

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 21:16:47 +0900

May I introduce ... O.K.?

chuck_hines> I believe that some of the folks on this list from Japan
chuck_hines> have done some work in this area as well.  Perhaps they
chuck_hines> can also offer some insight.

In japan, we use i18n-patch of fvwm. It enables fvwm to handle
compound text in the titlebar and icon, to designate fontset instead
of font, and of course, to use non-ASCII characters in the context of
character (button name of FvwmButtons, FvwmForm, and so on).

This patch uses X's i18n feature ONLY, so any charsets which can be
handled by i18n framework will be displayed (I think). Patch is made
in two years ago (when fvwm version is 1.20 :-), and supported by the
people in "Fvwm Users' Mailing List in Japan". Patch for the latest
version of fvwm (2.0.42) is also available.

Anybody interested in this patch may get these patches freely by ftp.
Check keyword 'fvwm-users-jp-kits' by archie. I18n patch of fvwm is
included in fvwm-users-jp-kits-VERSION.tar.gz (VERSION is a string of
the release date). Be aware that most of documents are written in
japanese (very sorry).

- -
Makoto `MAR_kun' MATSUSHITA
Sorry for late responce. I've gone to tokyo in this weekend :-)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].