Subject: FVWM: Window Applications Don't have PATH !

From: Aharon Schkolnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 14:15:56 +0300

Hi.

	All the applications running unfer fvwm are missing parts of
my PATH. This causes many things not to work ! 

	Please help !

TIA.

--
  The day is short, and the work is great,     |   Aharon Schkolnik
  and the laborers are lazy, and the reward    |   [email-masked]
  is great, and the Master of the house is     |
  impatient. - Ethics Of The Fathers Ch. 2     |
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Boyns <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 May 1996 08:49:23 -0700

> my PATH. This causes many things not to work ! 

This might explain problems I've been having with Netscape 3.  For
some reason Netscape 3 can't invoke any programs -- including lpr.  I
figured this was a bug in Netscape, not fvwm.

X11R6.1, Solaris 2.5, and fvwm 2.0.42.

-- 
Mark Boyns <[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.sdsu.edu/~boyns/>
PGP fingerprint = D3 28 A2 F7 D1 4C F8 EE  BF 7A 11 54 1C E5 6E CC
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 09:33:20 +1200

|>All the applications running under fvwm are missing parts of my
|>PATH.

Mark Boyns <[email-masked]> replied:

|This might explain problems I've been having with Netscape 3.  For some
|reason Netscape 3 can't invoke any programs -- including lpr.  I figured
|this was a bug in Netscape, not fvwm.

|X11R6.1, Solaris 2.5, and fvwm 2.0.42.

I have the same problem with Netscape 3, but with Linux and fvwm 1.23b.
Perhaps the problem is Netscape's, not the window manager's.

===========================================================================
Andrew Donkin, UNIX admin, Sch. of CompSci&Math, Waikato Univ,  New Zealand
Email:[email-masked] HTTP://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ard/ PGP:0x0B0F9FE5
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Otmar Stahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 09:35:24 +0200 (MESZ)

>>>>> "Mark" == Mark Boyns <[email-masked]> writes:

    Mark> Aharon Schkolnik <[email-masked]> writes:

    >> All the applications running unfer fvwm are missing parts of my
    >> PATH. This causes many things not to work !

    Mark> This might explain problems I've been having with Netscape
    Mark> 3.  For some reason Netscape 3 can't invoke any programs --
    Mark> including lpr.  I figured this was a bug in Netscape, not
    Mark> fvwm.

    Mark> X11R6.1, Solaris 2.5, and fvwm 2.0.42.

I do not know if this is your problem, but for me (fvwm 2.0.42 on
HP-UX 9.01), netscape 3 DOES know my paths when I start it with
"/usr/local/bin/netscape", it does not find anything (including lp),
when started just as "netscape". This also happens with HP-VUE,
so it is certainly related to netscape. Strange but true!

Hope this helps,
Otmar Stahl
--
[email-masked],  http://www.lsw.uni-heidelberg.de/~ostahl/
PGP-Key via key server,  or send e-mail with  subject "send file pgp-key"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].