Subject: Re: FVWM: Re: Opaque Resize?

From: Todd Tyrone Fries <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 23:30:24 -0600 (MDT)

> >>>>> "MB" == Mark Borges <[email-masked]> writes:
> I haven't seen this particular problem, and I'm doing a lot of
> restarting these days. :-)  It definitely happens to me when I
> iconify/de-iconify but like you it's not very reproducible.  It only
> seems to happen with XEmacs, but maybe it's just that I use those
> windows more than anything else so I haven't noticed it with other
> applications.

One thing I have noticed on restarts is that even though the cursor is over
a window and point-focus is in effect, I must move the cursor to the boarder
and back to get fvwm to give the window focus.

Is this supposed to happen, as I would hope that a simple test upon restart
would suffice to keep this from occurring..

-- 
Todd Fries
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Barry A. Warsaw" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 11:13:45 -0400

>>>>> "TTF" == Todd Tyrone Fries <[email-masked]> writes:

    TTF> One thing I have noticed on restarts is that even though the
    TTF> cursor is over a window and point-focus is in effect, I must
    TTF> move the cursor to the boarder and back to get fvwm to give
    TTF> the window focus.

I've noticed similar behavior where occasionally focus will just go
off into limbo.  I first noticed it with XEmacs under ctwm, but I've
since verified the same behavior with Grail (a Tk based application)
under ctwm, both major revs of fvwm, and tvtwm (all twm decendents?)
but not, if I remember correctly, the SGI Irix window manager.  I
think I tried dtwm but can't remember what the behavior was there.

Anyway, what happens is that if I delete an XEmacs frame, even though
the cursor is still over a different XEmacs frame, keyboard focus just
goes nowhere.  Not to the root window, not to any window!   Fvwm does
show me that no window has the focus, by way of no border highlight.

Grail does the same thing.  If say you popup the 'find' dialog, enter
a search string, hit return, the window gets withdrawn and again, even
though the cursor is over a different Grail window, nothing is getting
further keystrokes.  You have to manually move the cursor out of the
window border, then back in, to regain keyboard focus.

Its very strange and I don't know who's at fault.  I'll have to see if
I can get a reproducible test case going, perhaps using Python/Tk.

-Barry