Subject: FVWM: Title bar title changing

From: [email-masked] (Ken Dickerson)
Date: Fri, 24 May 96 15:45:02 PDT

I am new to this list, so forgive me if this question has been asked and/or
beaten to death. I have newly started using fvwm. One of the things I was
doing when I was in Motif, was to use the Xterm Control Sequences to change
the icon name and window title. I would like to continue doing that in fvwm,
but have found that the same sequences do not affect the title. Is there
any simple way I can change the title via a script or alias? I need to
change it frequently. Are there different sequences used for fvwm that I
can get a hold of?

TIA,
-Ken
 (email: [email-masked])
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Emilio Lopes)
Date: Fri, 24 May 96 21:49 EST

>>>>> "kdicke" == Ken Dickerson <[email-masked]> wrote:

kdicke> I am new to this list, so forgive me if this question has been
kdicke> asked and/or beaten to death. I have newly started using
kdicke> fvwm. One of the things I was doing when I was in Motif, was
kdicke> to use the Xterm Control Sequences to change the icon name and
kdicke> window title. I would like to continue doing that in fvwm, but
kdicke> have found that the same sequences do not affect the title. Is
kdicke> there any simple way I can change the title via a script or
kdicke> alias? I need to change it frequently. Are there different
kdicke> sequences used for fvwm that I can get a hold of?

Hi,

as far as I know, the xterm control sequences do not change just
because you change your window manager.

Here is something from my "~/.bashrc". It puts a useful title in the
xterm window bar. 

############################################################
if [ -z "$HOST" ]; then
    export HOST=`hostname`
fi

# The string between quotes is used to put the CWD
# in the Xterm title bar. -- ECL
if [ "$TERM" = "xterm" ]; then
    PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -en "\033]2;Xterm - ${LOGNAME}@${HOST}:${PWD}\007"'
fi
############################################################

Have fun.

Emilio.

-- 
 Emilio C. Lopes <mailto:[email-masked]>
 FINPE, Instituto de Fisica      E-mail: [email-masked]
 Universidade de Sao Paulo       Phone : (+55 11) 818-6724 (Voice)
 Caixa Postal 66318                      (+55 11) 818-6715 (Fax)
 05389-970  Sao Paulo - SP
 BRAZIL
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Amir J. Katz)
Date: Mon, 27 May 96 10:56:31 IDT

>>>>> "Ken" == Ken Dickerson <[email-masked]> writes:

Ken; I am new to this list, so forgive me if this question has been asked and/or
Ken; beaten to death. I have newly started using fvwm. One of the things I was
Ken; doing when I was in Motif, was to use the Xterm Control Sequences to change
Ken; the icon name and window title. I would like to continue doing that in fvwm,
Ken; but have found that the same sequences do not affect the title. Is there
Ken; any simple way I can change the title via a script or alias? I need to
Ken; change it frequently. Are there different sequences used for fvwm that I
Ken; can get a hold of?

To add to this thread: If you use tcsh version 6 or higher, here's
a neat way to set xterm's title & icon in one fell swoop. 

Please note that the '^g' is literally '^' and 'g'. tcsh will
replace it with CTRL-G; '\e' is escape, and again tcsh will do the
substitution.

Enjoy.

---------------------- cut & paste ------------------
# Snippets from Amir's .tcshrc

if ("$tcsh" == "1") then
   set TCSH_VERSION = 5
else
   set TCSH_VERSION = `echo $tcsh | awk -F. '{print $1}'`  # Should give 6
endif

if ($TCSH_VERSION >= 6) then
   # all kinds of things ...
   # ...
   set prompt = '%M:%U%~%u [%h]%# '  # include underlined dir, home as '~'
endif

if ("$TERM" == "xterm") then
   # Install 'host: dir' in xterm titlebar and 'host' in icon name
   set prompt = "%{\e]2\;%m: %/^g\e]1;%m^g\r%}""$prompt"
endif

# The end.
---------------------- cut & paste ------------------

/* Amir J. Katz  E-mail: [email-masked]   URL: http://www.ndsoft.com */
/* New Dimension Software, LTD., Tel-Aviv, Israel                    */
/* .. I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my       ..*/
/* .. lawyer thinks he can get me five.        (Steven Wright)     ..*/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].