Subject: FVWM: Silent fail!

From: [email-masked] (David Kennedy)
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 12:31:43 +0100

Hi, after a little debacle getting FVWM compiled I sat down
to enjoy using it again...only to log in and have the
computer log me out. I presume FVWM is crashing out straight
away...check my errors file:

ld.so.1: /home7/dcjk/bin/fvwm: fatal: libXpm.so.4.8: can't open file: errno=2

Aha! I recently (since last time I used Fvwm) got new Xpm libraries.

So, this is Fvwm 2.0.42, on Solaris 2.5 - how do I go about fixing this
problem...indeed, in plain speak, what *is* the problem? 

Other programs like the Xpm libs fine, I'm not sure where the error lies.

(Usually recompiling Fvwm is trivial!)
-- 
David Kennedy, Dept. of Pure & Applied Physics, Queen's University of Belfast
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Email: [email-masked] | URL: http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~dcjk/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 May 1996 09:00:45 -0400

----------
> ld.so.1: /home7/dcjk/bin/fvwm: fatal: libXpm.so.4.8: can't open file: errno=2

You   may need to   export   LD_LIBRARY_PATH with  the directory  that
contains the xpm library.  For example, my setting:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/xpm/lib:/usr/ucblib

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Barry A. Warsaw" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 11:22:18 -0400

>>>>> "DK" == David Kennedy <[email-masked]> writes:

    DK> Hi, after a little debacle getting FVWM compiled I sat down to
    DK> enjoy using it again...only to log in and have the computer
    DK> log me out. I presume FVWM is crashing out straight
    DK> away...check my errors file:

    DK> ld.so.1: /home7/dcjk/bin/fvwm: fatal: libXpm.so.4.8: can't
    DK> open file: errno=2

This probably has nothing to do with your problem, but I thought I'd
mention it.

I have found there are some subtle differences with Solaris 2.5
dynamic linker/loader.  It is especially noticable on our x86
machines.  Solaris/Sparc is I'd say 99% indistinguishable from
Solaris/Intel, from a users (and even developers) perspective, but the
one gotcha that I've had to deal with is the use of -L and -R flags
for dynamic linking.  On Sparc I'd usually just used the -L flag to
get the dynlib paths compiled into the binary, so no tweaking of
LD_LIBRARY_PATH was necessary.  On Intel, -L alone wouldn't do it.
You had to use -R.

I've taken to hacking the Openwin imake config files to add the -R
flag for both platforms since it certainly doesn't hurt for Sparc.  I
think I added -R to sun.cf's ExtraLoadFlags...

-Barry

---

From: "Stefan 'Stetson' Skoglund" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 09:40:12 +0200

I presume that libXpm.so.4.8 is the old Xpm library ??
In that case i think you just deleted libXpm.so.4.8 ...

Or maybe the crashing fvwm is the new one ?? In that
case I think you missed adding a -R argument for the
directory containing libXpm.so ??
Where is your libXpm.so libraries ??

Remember this is solaris to the run-time linker searches for
the libraries in places specified at program compilation...
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].