Subject: FVWM: Keysym's and Locking screens.

From: [email-masked] (David Kennedy)
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 15:00:14 +0100

Many thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction with
xev/xmodmap to enable me to use a previously unbound key for an
fvwm function.

I now have the 'blank' key bound like this in my .xinitrc:
xmodmap -e 'keycode 22 = SunPowerSwitch'

I then went to get fvwm to use that as 'Lock Screen':
Key SunPowerSwitch    A       N       Exec "" xlock -mode random &

The thing is (I feel so stupid), this doesn't work! Now, as far as I can
see this is correct.

When I hit the key the console pops up with this error message:
/bin/sh:

Anyone got any idea why this should be? Its bound to be something 
silly. Thanks very much.

ObRequest:
	(a) StartsOnPage - honestly, this'd be very handy! I wouldn't have to:
		(i) Spend a few minutes moving windows out onto other pages
			after every login.
		(ii) Mess about with silly functions just to get windows where I
			want them. Its not worth the mess, and then I have to
			watch the mapping and so on.
	(Yes, I'm gonna keep asking over and over!)

-- 
David Kennedy, Dept. of Pure & Applied Physics, Queen's University of Belfast
Email: [email-masked] | URL: http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~dcjk/
      Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into yours and join the fun!
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 May 1996 17:16:55 +0200

>>>>> On Thu, 23 May 1996 15:00:14 +0100,
>>>>> [email-masked] (David Kennedy) said:

  David> Key SunPowerSwitch    A       N       Exec "" xlock -mode random &

  David> When I hit the key the console pops up with this error message:
  David> /bin/sh:

Try putting the complete path to xlock there.  Maybe xlock isn't in
fvwm's path when you start it?

kai
-- 
Life is hard and then you die.

---

From: Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 11:26:47 -0400

> SunPowerSwitch A N Exec "" xlock -mode random &

> The thing is (I feel so stupid), this doesn't work! Now, as far as I
> can see this is correct.

Take out the ""'s.  This is a key definition, not FvwmButtons...

Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]