Subject: FVWM: Cutting and Pasting using a 2 button mosue

From: Greg Caddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 16:28:39 -0400 (EDT)

I currently have a 2 button mouse which works adequately when outside any 
window, but I really need to be able to cut text from one window and be 
able to paste that text somewhere else.  Currently the left mouse button 
will hi-lite areas, but of course no pasting.  Does anyone have ideas on 
changes I can make to my .fvwmrc file, so that I can either use a right 
mouse button press or hold both buttons to paste while inside a window.

Thanks in advance,

greg 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 96 21:35 BST

> mouse button press or hold both buttons to paste while inside a window.

This is not a property of fvwm, but one to do with your X server. Fvwm
can't help.

If you're running XFree86 on Linux or similar, you can specify
"Emulate3Buttons" in your XF86Config file. This makes left + right
clicked together pass a middle click to the application.

Hmm, come to think of it, there's no reason why a similar feature
might not live in fvwm. But then, I've not seen the input parsing
code, so I can;t comment on the easy of integration. :)

Austin

---

From: Dan Niles <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 15:52:20 -0500

> mouse button press or hold both buttons to paste while inside a window.

That is application dependent.  For example, if you cut something in a 
window and then use the yank command in emacs, it will come from the cut
buffer.

I can only think of 2 ways to solve your problem globally:

1) Get a 3-button mouse, or

2) Use 3-button emulation.

I use 3-button emulation, and it works well most of the time. On my
system (linux), I just uncommented the line

    Emulate3Buttons

in /etc/XF86Config.

Hope that helps,

Dan Niles
[email-masked]