Subject: FVWM: TODO List comment

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 May 96 14:14:10 +0100

Hi all,
    I was just scanning through the TODO list on the Homepage when I
noticed the following line:
    - Find out why closing windows fills the area w/ the border color

I must say I haven't got a huge knowledge of how window managers work,
but I could guess that because the frame is a parent of the client
window, then when the client window is destroyed it effectively causes
an Expose of the middle area of the Frame window.  Of course, the X
server knows what background colour the window should be so it paints
that in automatically, and then I expect it sends FVWM an Expose event
to see if FVWM wants to draw anything in the middle area of the Frame
window.  Hence, even if FVWM ignores the Expose event (which it probably
does), the center area of the Frame window will still be redrawn by
the X server first.

I guess the only way to stop this is to trap the fact that the client
window is going to be destroyed or hidden and then apply the same
function to the Frame first and then the client window.

    Just a thought...
       Jonathan.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Todd Fries)
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 07:30:21 -0500 (CDT)

>     - Find out why closing windows fills the area w/ the border color
[...]
> function to the Frame first and then the client window.

Does that work?

-- 
Todd Fries

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 May 96 15:53:09 +0100

> > function to the Frame first and then the client window.

Well, this is where I'm a little unsure.  As I said, my knowledge of window
manager level X code is not wonderful, but I thought that a window manager could
get notification of all X calls...
...searching for an X manual to grab off a colleague...
Aha !  Here it is... SubstructureRedirectMask... Oh. No.  Perhaps not...
SubstructureRedirectMask only gets MapRequest, not Unmap...

Oh, well I suppose you're right then, no it doesn't work.

Anyway, I think my explanation of why the frame window gets cleared to the
background colour of the frame still stands.  Only, I guess we've just proved
that you cannot do anything about it, so presumably it could be taken off the
TODO list.  (I'm trying to save you some work here Chuck  ;-)

  Sorry for the false alarm,
    Jonathan.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 May 1996 11:11:50 -0400

----------
> TODO list.  (I'm trying to save you some work here Chuck  ;-)

It's on the list, because other window managers don't  do this.  There
has to be a reason and a cure.

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Niles <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 10:21:33 -0500

>   Sorry for the false alarm,

It seems to me that this problem would be caused by the order the windows
are closed.  What I mean is, the app window is closed, then the border
window.  

Wouldn't it work to remove the borders, then close the window?

Dan Niles

---

From: [email-masked] (Todd Fries)
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 11:04:08 -0500 (CDT)

>   Sorry for the false alarm,

I don't think anyone thinks gaining knowledge is a false alarm :-)

Have fun..

---

From: [email-masked] (Todd Fries)
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 08:17:53 -0500 (CDT)

> > background colour of the frame still stands.  Only, I guess we've just
> > proved that you cannot do anything about it, so presumably it could be 
> > taken off the TODO list.  (I'm trying to save you some work here Chuck  ;-)
> 

As far as I can tell, twm doesn't do this either.  I guess I need to get
on slower machines to make certain, but it appears to be somewhat of a quite
funny coincidence: twm, from which fvwm arose, exibits a behavior we wish
fvwm had.  I find that humorous.

Could someone verify this for me?

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 May 96 15:31:45 +0100

> has to be a reason and a cure.

I thought mwm did it, but I can't check because I had mwm in my previous job,
but not anymore.  Besides, (as many people have "complained" ;-) my workstation
is too fast to have the problem, even if I did have mwm.

Cheers,
    Jonathan.