Subject: FVWM: system PATH for executables?

From: Dan Norris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 15:37:16 -0500

In my .fvwmrc, I have lots of menus for tons 'o programs, but they don't seem 
to be in the PATH.  My question is, what PATH does fvwm use?  How can I set 
it?  I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but if I specify a full path to 
a particular program, it works.  If I don't, it fails.  Is there a way to 
catch some error output?  

Thanks,
Dan

P.S.  I read the FAQ :)
-- 
Dan Norris                  Computer Science 
[email-masked]      University of Illinois
http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/d-norri/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Emilio Lopes)
Date: Thu, 30 May 96 19:07 EST

>>>>> "DN" == Dan Norris <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> You can use
>> 
>> ExecUseShell /usr/local/bin/tcsh
>> 
>> to make fvwm2 use tcsh instead of the default sh, if that's your
>> problem.

DN> Any way to do that in the ol' fvwm-1.24r?

Well, if your problem is really the shell, you can always do 

Exec "xterm" /usr/local/bin/tcsh xterm &

This will call "sh" to execute "tcsh" to execute xterm. I have not
tested but it may work.

Emilio.

-- 
 Emilio C. Lopes <mailto:[email-masked]>
 FINPE, Instituto de Fisica      E-mail: [email-masked]
 Universidade de Sao Paulo       Phone : (+55 11) 818-6724 (Voice)
 Caixa Postal 66318                      (+55 11) 818-6715 (Fax)
 05389-970  Sao Paulo - SP
 BRAZIL
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Emilio Lopes)
Date: Thu, 30 May 96 18:56 EST

>>>>> "DN" == Dan Norris <[email-masked]> wrote:

DN> In my .fvwmrc, I have lots of menus for tons 'o programs, but they
DN> don't seem to be in the PATH.  My question is, what PATH does fvwm
DN> use?  How can I set it?  I'm not sure exactly what the problem is,
DN> but if I specify a full path to a particular program, it works.
DN> If I don't, it fails.  Is there a way to catch some error output?

Fvwm tells "sh" to execute your program. Probably "sh" is not properly
configured in your system, maybe because people there use [t]csh?

You can use

to make fvwm2 use tcsh instead of the default sh, if that's your problem.

Emilio.

---

From: Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 12:21:06 -0400

> In my .fvwmrc, I have lots of menus for tons 'o programs, but they
> don't seem to be in the PATH.  My question is, what PATH does fvwm
> use? 

It uses the one that it inherits when it starts.  So make sure that
whatever script you use to start fvwm sets the PATH first.  For
example, I have

. ${HOME}/.profile

at the beginning of my .xsession file.  All the programs run out of my
.xsession use the same PATH as my shells (since I use bash).  If you
use *csh, have your startup script run that same shell and source your
startup file at the beginning (might not be necessary - I seem to
remember those shells source the startup file automatically).  If you
really want to get complicated, you can make your .xsession be a
/bin/sh script and get the path from your .cshrc by doing the
following:

#!/bin/sh
/bin/csh -c "printenv" | \
	sed 's/^\([^=]*\)=\(.*\)/\1=\"\2\" export \1/' > /tmp/foo$$
. /tmp/foo$$
rm /tmp/foo$$

Ugly, but at least you don't have to write a *csh script if you've
already got a /bin/sh script.

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]