Subject: Re: FVWM: compiling

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 14:05:23 -0400

Dan Norris <[email-masked]> writes:
> Thanks for all the help.  The problem was passing the -Aa to gcc.  All's well
> now I just have to spend the next few months customizing :)
> 
> I also ran into a problem with vi.  When I was using mwm, vi seemed to be 
> fine.  Now, after switching to fvwm, I can't seem to insert any "#" signs int
> into anything.  Is this something common?  Maybe I should check the FAQ,
> but I'm sure someone has the answer :)

You  should always  check the  FAQ if you  want  others to spend their
valuable time helping you.   At least lie about  it and say "I checked
the FAQ and I couldn't find it".

Fvwm has no  specific interaction with vi.  If  you  can't type a  "#"
sign in any window,  it is possible  that fvwm is intercepting the "#"
before  the application sees  it.   If you also can't  type  "#" in an
xterm, look in your .fvwm2rc for a line like:

  Key # A A Nop

(Any line containing "Key #" would be suspect.)

Since a "#" sign is probably  a shifted 3 on  your keyboard, you might
also look for a line like:

Key 3 S A Nop

> Thanks,
> Dan
> -- 
> Dan Norris                  Computer Science 
> [email-masked]      University of Illinois
> http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/d-norri/

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Martin Kraemer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 10:15:16 +0200 (MET DST)

Dan Espen wrote,...
> xterm, look in your .fvwm2rc for a line like:

I assume that the tty modes of your xterms are set incorrectly: you
probably cannot insert a '@' anywhere either...
This d@#$mned default (erase_character=# kill_whole_line=@) goes back to
the olden teletype days (as does the name tty); wonder why at&t stuck
with it.

The cure might be something aling the line of ....
XTerm*TtyModes:                                erase ^h kill ^x dsusp ^y susp ^Z weras ^W eol ^j
...in your ~/.Xdefaults ~/.Xresources. It initializes your xterms to a
"sane" mode.

    Martin
-- 
| S I E M E N S |   [email-masked]   |      Siemens Nixdorf
| ------------- |   Voice: +49-89-636-46021     |  Informationssysteme AG
| N I X D O R F |   FAX:   +49-89-636-44994     |   81730 Munich, Germany
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~My opinions only, of course; pgp key available on request
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].