Subject: Re: FVWM: desktop wishes

From: Lars Wirzenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 00:00:19 +0300

Kai Grossjohann:
> Fvwm supports 2^15 (or 2^16?) desks out of the box

2^32-1, I'd guess:

	The total number of distinct desktops need not be specified, 
	but is limited to approximately 4 billion total.

> Should be enough for most purposes.  

Well, yes, most of the time. :-)

FWIW, I've been happy with five or six desks (I don't use pages).
FvwmPager and FvwmIconMan are the way to manage a lot of windows.

Incidentally, this reminds me.  I've once or twice had fvwm die on me
when I tried to use the builtin window list and it didn't fit onto the
screen.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Thu, 30 May 96 19:37:16 +0200

>>>>> Lars Wirzenius writes:

> Fvwm supports 2^15 (or 2^16?) desks out of the box

L> 2^32-1, I'd guess:

L> 	The total number of distinct desktops need not be specified, 
L> 	but is limited to approximately 4 billion total.

> Should be enough for most purposes.  

L> Well, yes, most of the time. :-)

L> FWIW, I've been happy with five or six desks (I don't use pages).
L> FvwmPager and FvwmIconMan are the way to manage a lot of windows.

L> Incidentally, this reminds me.  I've once or twice had fvwm die on me
L> when I tried to use the builtin window list and it didn't fit onto the
L> screen.

well that's hard to reach.
I'm also pretty sure, there're some Buglets, when you're on the 2^30th
desktop and go one further.
difficult to produce, though :-)

albrecht
-- 
A Nurse walks by a Doctor and says, "Hey Doc, How come you have a
thermometer behind your ear?" 
The Doctor responds, "Darn, some patient has got my pen!"  
						-- Ron Hametner
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].