Subject: FVWM: Crash in Linux

From: Erik Rissanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 13:39:09 +0200 (MET DST)

I have tried fvwm2 42, but it seems to be very unstable. I didn't
find this bug in the mailing list archives or the TO-DO list, so
I thought that I should report it.

The problem is that fvwm2 crashes when I switch to an another
virtual console with ctrl+alt+Fn (Fn is any F-key). This seems to
happen at random times, but very often. To produce it I just
do something in X and switch from and back until it happens.
It always happens when I switch from X to text, never the opposite.

Here is the output:

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
xterm:  fatal IO error 2 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"
xinit:  connection to X server lost.

This never happens with fvwm 1.2. I am currently using Linux 1.99.8, but
I had the same problem with 1.2.13.

In case it is a bug in the server, here is the version info:

XFree86 Version 3.1.2 / X Window System
(protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6000)

It is the SVGA server.
I run it with a Cirrus Logic 5434 card with 2 Mb RAM in 16bpp.

I didn't find any notice of such bug in the XFree86 FAQ.

If you need additional info, just contact me.

Bye.

-- 
http://www.mn.medstroms.se/~d5dos/
I am sorry for my bad English (eller svenska).

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Hector Peraza <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 18:00:34 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 31 May 1996, Erik Rissanen wrote:

> ...

Seems to be a problem of the X server, anyway. I have experienced the same
problem some time ago when I was using a Cirrus Logic card (with either
fvwm-1.24 or olvwm, Linux 1.2.8). As soon as I changed the card, the
problem dissapeared. You may want to try changing/disabling some of the 
server options, see the README.cirrus for more details. 

Regards,
Hector.

---

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 96 18:19 BST

> server options, see the README.cirrus for more details. 

Yup, I don't think this is a problem in fvwm; it's definately your
server that's bailing out.

Maybe you have bad memory/cache?

How much RAM do you have?

Austin
[Wearing my linux hat]

---

From: [email-masked] (Joe Moss)
Date: Fri, 31 May 96 11:40:17 PDT

> Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

A segmentation violation in the server.

> I didn't find any notice of such bug in the XFree86 FAQ.

I would suggest you first try version 3.1.2E and see if the problem
can be duplicated.

If the problem still occurs, with 3.1.2E, you should try adding
"NoTrapSignals" to the ServerFlags section of your XF86Config file
and then get a backtrace from the core.  Note that doing this is likely
to leave your video console in an unusable state when the segv occurs.
Just press CTRL-ALT-DELETE to reboot and then examine the core file.

As this is not an Fvwm problem, further discussion should be moved
somewhere more appropriate, such as comp.os.linux.x (and you should
send a copy of the backtrace to [email-masked]).

-- 
set Email "[email-masked] (Joe Moss)";set URL http://psg.com/~joem/
 ======================================================================
"Folk, if you are not checking the Frequently Asked Questions documents
before you ask questions, you are taking longer to resolve problems,
and annoying more folk, than necessary."   -- Larry W. Virden
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Raymond Toy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 15:51:24 -0400

>>>>> "Erik" == Erik Rissanen <[email-masked]> writes:

    Erik> The problem is that fvwm2 crashes when I switch to an another
    Erik> virtual console with ctrl+alt+Fn (Fn is any F-key). This seems to
    Erik> happen at random times, but very often. To produce it I just
    Erik> do something in X and switch from and back until it happens.
    Erik> It always happens when I switch from X to text, never the opposite.

    Erik> In case it is a bug in the server, here is the version info:

    Erik> XFree86 Version 3.1.2 / X Window System
    Erik> (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6000)

This used to happen to me all of the time.  I vaguely remember that
this was caused by a bug in the server.  I upgraded my server and
haven't had that problem since.  I think it's enough to just upgrade
the server and not all of X.  (Well any libraries the server uses
too.)

Ray