Subject: FVWM: fvwm2.42: race on module-death still here

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 09:49:03 -0400

(I'm running linux ELF.)

The problem that has been reported by several people about earlier
versions of fvwm2 is still with us.  When I quit a module
(tkgoodstuff, using a pretty simple tkfvwm extension to tcl/tk) and
restart it several times, I very often get fvwm eating up all the CPU.

Does anyone who understands fvwm's side of the module interface have
an idea what fvwm might be doing?  If there is something I can do to
debug, please let me know.

Cheers,
Mark

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 10:21:18 -0400

>>>>> "mark" == mark crimmins <[email-masked]> writes:

mark> (I'm running linux ELF.)
mark> The problem that has been reported by several people about earlier
mark> versions of fvwm2 is still with us.  When I quit a module
mark> (tkgoodstuff, using a pretty simple tkfvwm extension to tcl/tk) and
mark> restart it several times, I very often get fvwm eating up all the CPU.

I just tried to reproduce this under AIX by starting and killing a
button bar about 20 times, but had no problems.

mark> Does anyone who understands fvwm's side of the module interface have
mark> an idea what fvwm might be doing?  If there is something I can do to
mark> debug, please let me know.

It is fvwm itself (i.e. not the X server) churning away, right?

Well, you could try forcing it to coredump (or attaching a debugger,
which I can tell you is sometimes a pain - you may want to do it from
another virtual terminal) and see where it is (stack trace).  Or you
could try using the linux 'strace' (I think that's the one) facitlity
that shows system calls for a running process - this might indicate
what's eating all the cpu.

If you can get a general location, that would be a good start.

Chuck