Subject: FVWM: Startup files...

From: Sherwood Botsford <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 10:44:56 -0600

As long as the discussion is on startup files, as a sysadmin, I like to
give my users a default environment that they can further customize.

The way this usually works is that people copy the system default file
to their own directory, then edit it like crazy.  

Often the problem is that the default changes.  E.g. suppose I want to
replace xterm with xtm.  I'd like to do this only once inthe system
default file.

After a couple of years of this, we have 113 different user
environments, which stiffles communication between users.

With tcsh, my default user shell, the shell sources /etc/csh.login,
/etc/csh.cshrc ~/.login and ~/.cshrc.  So changes that are put in the
first two act as globabl changes, which users can choose to overwrite.

How difficult would it be with fvwm for it to read system.fvwmrc, AND
~/.fvwmrc?

Sherwood Botsford |Unsolicited email that advertises commercial 
Physics Dept      |activities will consitute a request for 
U of Alberta      |spellchecking of all words of less than three 
Edmonton, AB,     |characters.  I charge $US500 for this service. 
T6G 2J1		  |There is no warranty of correctness of this service. 

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Todd Fries)
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 15:06:55 -0500 (CDT)

> How difficult would it be with fvwm for it to read system.fvwmrc, AND

Change line 356 of fvwm/fvwm.c to add:
  ExecuteFunction("Read system.fvwmrc", NULL, &Event,C_ROOT,-1);
  ExecuteFunction(config_command, NULL,&Event,C_ROOT,-1);

(just a quick thought, by no means tested...but you get the idea..)

-- 
Todd Fries .. [email-masked] .. [email-masked] .. [email-masked]