Subject: FVWM: color maps

From: [email-masked] (Todd Fries)
Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 19:08:08 -0500 (CDT)

Here is an idea for everybody to think about.

It was mentioned in docs somewhere that tkgoodstuff limits the number of colors it
displays.  It is just a factor of preparing the icons and default colors.

However, how hard would it be to (optionally, of course) have fvwm barbarically
force all of the colors it allocates to fit within a number X where X is determined
at runtime?  This would include pixmaps, colors in .fvwmrc, etc...I wouldn't
care if fvwm complained immensely in the event that the colors specified in the
.fvwmrc themselves went over the limit....anyway...

Would it be practical?  The alternative, of course, is to pre-process every
image we are going to use.  For those who would like to use /usr/include/X11/pixmaps
but not like to copy them to a ~/pixmaps subdir and the pre-process them, this
alternative isn't very feasible.  And there are people like me who have always
wanted to go through and limit the colormaps, but don't want to because everytime
I get another pixmap I would have to do it all over again.

Just some thoughts.  Comments sought.
-- 
Todd Fries .. [email-masked] .. [email-masked] .. [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].