Subject: FVWM: Re: Beta version 2.0.42 now ready

From: vangestel dirk sf900 4319 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 10:09:58 +0200

Hi!

I just tried (well, am trying :-) this new version. I had a problem building
it under SunOS4, since it doesn't seem to know strerror (used in fvwm/builtin.c).
I had to remove this call, and it built without a problem.

A few questions:

>        5. Patch to make fvwm recognize some OpenLook WM hints (like MWM
>           hints) from Andrew Taylor

I was hoping this would solve the problem I'm having with Sun's mailtool.
The behaviour I'm seeing here is that fvwm doesn't redraw the window when
I receive a mail with an attachment. For those of you who don't know
mailtool: if you read just one mail, you get a single window. If the mail
has an attachment, it splits in 2 parts: the mail text and the attachments.
The original window keeps the same size, but there is an extra 'widget'
(text window grows shorter to make room for the attachments). (I guess
you have to see it to understand :-)
What I'm seeing is that under fvwm the text window doesn't resize. If I close
the text window and open it again, it's redrawn in a correct way... So I
figured fvwm was missing an OpenLook WM hint. So I added OLDecor, but it
didn't change a thing.

>        11. Fix from Nobutaka Suzuki for probs w/ Next/Prev Focus

Seems to work ok now!

Just one more thing: I noticed a changed behaviour in the window placement.
I only specify SmartPlacement in my .fvwm2rc, and yet my windows are
placed like I specified RandowPlacement as well. I never get to place my
windows anymore... I didn't find a notice that this behaviour has changed,
so I guess it's a bug.

I haven't had any other problems (yet? :-). Great job!

Dirk
-- 
----------
Dirk Vangestel                                                    Alcatel Bell
Advanced Systems Development Engineer                    Francis Wellesplein 1
Phone : +32-(0)3-240.4319                                     B-2018 Antwerpen
e-mail: [email-masked]                                    Belgium
----------
Reality is a cop-out for people who can't handle drugs.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Albrecht Kadlec <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Apr 1996 14:57:21 +0200

> I had to remove this call, and it built without a problem.
there should be a 
	char * strerror(int errnum) for ANSI C
but many old headers just define the following:
---------------------------------
NAME
     perror, errno - system error messages

SYNOPSIS
     void perror(s)
     char *s;

     #include <errno.h>

     int sys_nerr;
     char *sys_errlist[];
     int errno;
--------------------------------
so a 
	#define strerror(e) sys_errlist[e] 
would be cool for those compilers (here it's gcc 2.6)

albrecht