Subject: FVWM: Build with gcc not working

From: "Michael Kirby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 15:24:16 PDT

First of all let me say this is a great window manager (don't you 
worry when mail notes start off this way :-)

I noticed that between .39 and .42 you moved alot more of the 
configuration for build into imake.  Since I installed .39, I have 
moved to gcc.

I'm compiling for solaris 2.4 on a sparc 20.

What I get is undefined symbols for GetFont OrFixed, CachePicture, 
and InitPictureCMap.

All of these are defined in ../libs/libfvwm.a

the compile line has gcc -o fvwm <bunch o ofiles> -O 
      -L/usr/openwin/lib -L../libs -lfvwm -lXpm ....

it doesn't seem to be finding the -lfvwm from the search path.  If I 
hardcode the ../libs/libfvwm.a file in the list of object files it 
links without a problem.  

What gives?  I supposed I could hand edit all the makefiles for all 
the modules and make it work, but I must be missing something crucial 
here.

Perhaps my site.def and other imake configuration files are messed?  
I also have the problem of a -xF flag getting inserted (analyzer code 
for sun's compiler).  I removed it by hand from the makefile, and it 
made no difference.

Mike
---
[email-masked]
To obtain my PGP public key, mail "SEND PUB KEY" in the 
subject to "[email-masked]"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 01:08:57 -0400

>>>>>  Luke Skywalker, with all his wealth, protested:
>>>>> "All go shopping at the words of the human Michael Kirby!"

    Michael> What I get is undefined symbols for GetFont OrFixed,
    Michael> CachePicture, and InitPictureCMap.

    Michael> All of these are defined in ../libs/libfvwm.a

    Michael> the compile line has gcc -o fvwm <bunch o ofiles> -O
    Michael> -L/usr/openwin/lib -L../libs -lfvwm -lXpm ....

    Michael> it doesn't seem to be finding the -lfvwm from the search
    Michael> path.  If I hardcode the ../libs/libfvwm.a file in the
    Michael> list of object files it links without a problem.

    Michael> What gives?  I supposed I could hand edit all the
    Michael> makefiles for all the modules and make it work, but I
    Michael> must be missing something crucial here.

BOY this is confusing, isn't it ;) ?  Please remove your old
libfvwm2.a in wherever libraries go, /usr/X11R?/libfvwm2.a,
/usr/lib/X11/libfvwm2.a!  The library interface has changed.

PC sellers are Bill collectors.
Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
http://www.rpi.edu/~veliaa
Finger for PGP Key
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].