Subject: FVWM: Fvwm article

From: Dan Niles <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 13:57:47 -0500

In the April 1996 issue of 'Sys Admin' (Volume 5, Number 4), there
is an article about fvwm entitled "Customizing X Window Sessions with fvwm."
It is written by Richard L. Brownrigg.

The article mentions Robert Nation and Charles Hines.  It talks about the
various features of fvwm.  The general feeling in the article is that
fvwm is a very useful window manager.

The only thing remotely negative said about fvwm was said in an insert panel.
This panel states that the desktop concept is not as useful as it could
be. He (Richard?) says that having different desktops use different
configurations, and different colormaps, would make it more usefull. He
says that as it stands, virtual desks add little to the virtual page concept.

Overall, the article was very positive. 

Congratulations Chuck! You are now (more) famous!

Dan Niles
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 15:24:49 -0400

>>>>> "Dan" == Dan Niles <[email-masked]> writes:

Dan> In the April 1996 issue of 'Sys Admin' (Volume 5, Number 4),
Dan> there is an article about fvwm entitled "Customizing X Window
Dan> Sessions with fvwm."  It is written by Richard L. Brownrigg.

No kidding?

Dan> The article mentions Robert Nation and Charles Hines.  It talks
Dan> about the various features of fvwm.  The general feeling in the
Dan> article is that fvwm is a very useful window manager.

That's cool.  I'll have to see if I can get a copy of this.

Dan> The only thing remotely negative said about fvwm was said in an
Dan> insert panel.  This panel states that the desktop concept is not
Dan> as useful as it could be. He (Richard?) says that having
Dan> different desktops use different configurations, and different
Dan> colormaps, would make it more usefull. He says that as it stands,
Dan> virtual desks add little to the virtual page concept.

I have to agree with him, actually.  I don't use multiple desks
myself, just one big desktop.

The idea of having multiple colormaps (one per desk) has been
discussed here in the past, and would be great if it were truly
feasable, which it really isn't.  After all, how would you deal with
windows moving across desks?

Dan> Overall, the article was very positive.

That's what I like to hear!

Dan> Congratulations Chuck! You are now (more) famous!

What a scary thought...  ;^)

Thanks for the info,
Chuck

---

From: Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 15:36:42 -0400

I suppose this should be directed at Mr. Brownrigg.  Maybe he's on the
list?

> He says that as it stands, virtual desks add little to the virtual
> page concept.

Then he hasn't been opening enough windows :-)

I use a 3x3 desktop and until very recently only used a single desk.
However, on a recent project, I found I was opening more and more
windows.  I like to keep the number of windows per page as small as
possible to avoid overlap.  Sure, I could have edited my .fvwm2rc with
a different Desktop scheme, but that would mess up the mapping I have
between the keypad and GotoPage, not to mention having to restart.
Instead, I just moved to the next desk and bang - nine more pages, no
reconfiguration necessary.  I, for one, consider this to be a major
win.

Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: kendrick vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 15:47:18 -0400 (EDT)

> reconfiguration necessary.  I, for one, consider this to be a major

I have to agree. I for one usually work with a 3x1 implementation of FVWM.
I just recently moved to 4x1. I don't get too fancy, I just don't like
overlapping windows. If it hadn't have been for the virtual desktops, I
wouldn't kill myself trying to compile fvwm :) I would just stick with the
MWM on the system. 
			-peace

--====----====----=== http://www.fiu.edu/~kvarga01 ===----====----====--

-- IRC : Drama -- This Space Intentionally Left Blank - [email-masked] --

---

From: Mark Borges <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 14:25:31 -0600

>> On Tue, 30 Apr 1996 15:24:49 -0400,
>> Charles Hines(c) wrote:
c> The idea of having multiple colormaps (one per desk) has been
c> discussed here in the past, and would be great if it were truly
c> feasable, which it really isn't.  

Am I understanding you correctly. Is it (sort-of) possible to have
private colormaps in effect for each desk (so one could say, stick the
netscape hog on one desk and still have plenty of color slots for
other apps that reside on other desks)? That would be a big win
(although it seems technically challenging to say the least).

c> After all, how would you deal with windows moving across desks?
Punt.

-- 
  -mb-

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 17:44:30 -0400

>>>>> "Mark" == Mark Borges <[email-masked]> writes:

Mark> Am I understanding you correctly. Is it (sort-of) possible to have
Mark> private colormaps in effect for each desk (so one could say, stick the
Mark> netscape hog on one desk and still have plenty of color slots for
Mark> other apps that reside on other desks)?

It might be possible, but there is also a problem w/ fvwm needing a
colormap too, so the borders, menus, etc on desktops other than the
first one wouldn't look right (unless I did something really tricky
under the covers, like force the exact same entries fvwm needs in
every colormap, but that would probably only serve bloat and slow down
things).

That's why I don't think it is really feasable at all, that and what
to do with moving windows across desks...

Mark> That would be a big win (although it seems technically
Mark> challenging to say the least).

Not enough of a win for the trouble, I think, especially since most
color hog programs can be told to install thier own colormaps (eg
'netscape -install').  And definitely technically challenging, I
think.

Perhaps I'll toy around with it some day in the future though, and see
if something semi-reasonable can't be done.

Chuck

---

From: [email-masked] (Frank Smith)
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 17:20:47 -0500 (CDT)

> (although it seems technically challenging to say the least).
  Well, it's not exactly what you want, but I use:

ColormapFocus FollowsMouse

in my .fvwmrc and in my .Xresources:

Netscape.*installColormap:      Yes

That way netscape starts with its own colormap leaving colors for
all my other apps and icons.  The only annoyance is the colormap
flashing as you enter and leave the netscape window(s).

frank
-- 
Frank Smith  --  System Administrator         E-mail: [email-masked]
Systems & Processes Engineering Corp. (SPEC)  Voice:(512) 306-1100 x154
401 Camp Craft Road                           Fax: (512) 306-1122
Austin, TX  78746-6558                        Web: http://www.spec.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].