Subject: FVWM: X Server corrupted with fvwm-2.0.42 under Linux

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 15:31:27 -0700

I run linux 1.3.70 and X86-W32 xfree 3.1.2.  When I start up
fvwm-2.0.42 (from within my ~/.xinitrc file) I get a normal display
and all of my configuration works correctly.  When I select 'Quit'
from the root menu, the system takes quite a bit longer than fvwm 1.24i
to exit.  When fvwm-2.0.42 finally does exit, the character generator is 
screwed up and the character are either difficult or impossible to read.
I am used to this behavior under fvwm 1.24i and added a call to 'setfont'
in the 'startx' script.  This used to correct the problem under fvwm 1.24i.
Under fvwm-2.0.42 it does work.  I can switch virtual console (Alt-2) and
then return to the first virtual console (Alt-1) and type in setfont and
it looks fine again.  If this were all there was, I could live with it.

Now, I attempt to restart X 'startx' I get a blank (black) screen that I can't
get control of and am required to <Ctrl><Alt><Del> to reboot and get it back.
Even if I attempt to restart X using fvwm 1.24i, after exiting using
fvwm-2.0.42, I get the blank (black) screen that I can't get control of.

Has anyone else seen this behavior.  It is definitely something new
in comparison to fvwm 1.24i.

Any assistance is appreciated.

---
==========================================================================
Eric C. Martinson                           Integrated Measurement Systems
[email-masked]                                               (503) 626-7117                                 
==========================================================================
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Georg Hager" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 09:04:33 -0600

On Apr 21,  3:31pm, [email-masked] wrote:
> Subject: FVWM: X Server corrupted with fvwm-2.0.42 under Linux
> .....

I had similar problems, but not only with fvwm2. First of all you should try
the new beta version, XF86 3.1.2D. This `blank screen on startup' problem with
the W32 server should be corrected there. Maybe this is also the cure for the
font problems etc.

Bye,
Georg.

-- 
[email-masked]
Tel. 0921/55-3213

   ``God created the integers, men made the remaining''    (Kronecker)

   ... but surely the Devil let them conceive partial differential equations!