Subject: FVWM: fvwm 2.0.42 world's best window manager!

From: Mirai <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 09:05:13 -0500 (CDT)

alan:

> hell. . . it already is the best windows
> manager there is.

> Thanks Chuck, Jarl, et al.

chuck:

> And thank you (and everyone else) for you praise, support, and usage.

I think Fvwm is the best window manager because its the only
one that's had so much user input in the way of comments, suggestions,
and "what ifs". 

This is the _right_ way to develop.  The producers ARE the users and
it becomes a living Deming PLAN-DO-CHECK cycle where user wants are
coupled with the right programming talent to produce something
truely great!

I'm still working on my project, Workspace, at http://www.mirai.com/wks,
and should have something new to show in a month or two..... (I'm
installing Perl/Tk on my linux box! and learning how to use it)

My hat goes off to everyone on this mailing list, and to everyone
who helped make Fvwm the world's best window manager.

Jim

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Cartwright)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 15:42:22 +0100

> From [email-masked] Fri Apr 19 15:14:36 1996
> alan:
> 

I was starting to get complacent about FVWM but on Wednesday I had a
bit of a crisis.. Some weird system bug is preventing me from running 
FVWM and I'm stuck with NCDwm until I've got time to work out what's
gone wrong.. AAAAAAAAAAAAAGH :-(.. It's horrible.  Under FVWM I've got
all my common functions in a statusbar along with a clock, calendar,
perfmeter, biff and pager all in the bottom 90 pixels of the screen. I 
can then spread my windows (of which I have about 7-8 when working) over
the 6 page desktop... And I get to use _colour_.. Now I'm stuck with
xbms, and a _very_ crowded screen...  

> coupled with the right programming talent to produce something
Here, here. I'm no programmer so I have to rely on the valuable time
and efforts of others but they do pretty a good job of listening to 
even the most stupid suggestions (see my mail about transparent buttons ;-) )
and coming up with the goods (vertical titlebars, I love 'em), just for the 
hell of it.. 
 
> who helped make Fvwm the world's best window manager.
 
Again I'll second that.. Having been stuck with Nasty Crappy Dull window
manager for 48 hours I miss the slickness, and sheer class of FVWM..

round of applause to everyone involved