Subject: FVWM: Flip(Focus)

From: Dan Niles <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 11:32:39 -0500

Ok, the concensus is that this would be useful.  Now, for the exact
implementation.

People have expressed that it would be desirable to use Flip to raise
a window using Raise/Lower/RaiseLower.  This can be done using 
Next [*] RaiseLower.  RaiseLower does not change the Foucs (Scr.Focus), 
so the next call to Next [*] RaiseLower would affect the same window
as the first one.  As far as I know, Focus is the only thing that modifies
the value of Scr.Focus.  If that is the case, it seems to me that Focus
is the only thing that makes sense when used with Flip.  If someone
familiar with the source can correct me, please do.

Personally, I like the way Windoze handles it.  I do not believe that it
is possible to implement this in X.  If anyone has any ideas on how this
might be done, please let me know.

If my assumptions are correct, I will create a function called FlipFocus.
This function will do two things:

1) Flip the currently focused window the the indicated window in the window 
   list.  If the window list is A-B-C-D-E-F, the currently focused window
   is B, and the indicated window is E, the new window list would be
   A-E-C-D-B-F. 

2) Set Focus to the indicated window (E in the example above).  

Dan Niles
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Apr 1996 19:31:21 +0200

>>>>> On Mon, 29 Apr 1996 11:32:39 -0500, Dan Niles <[email-masked]>
>>>>> said:

  Dan> [...] As far as I know, Focus is the only thing that modifies
  Dan> the value of Scr.Focus. [...]

With FocusFollowsMouse or SloppyFocus, deiconifying or raising a
window can mean a change of focus.  Or moving a window, for that
matter.

kai
-- 
Gleep!