Subject: FVWM: Negativity

From: Alan Wild <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 01:18:19 -0400 (EDT)

With every release of software there is always a period where everyone
has to scream, "THIS DOESN'T WORK!"

Well, I'm happy to say that in my experiences. . . . it does.  :)

I love the latest release of fvwm2 VERY VERY much.  Of course, I'm still
not 100% pleased with menu behavior and I would like to See menus that
allow you to place a title on the bottom row so that the pointer would
warp there, etc.

Putting all that aside though, I'm really pleased.  I had very little
completion problems (FvwmConsole isn't working right), and everything
works great.  I love Having Pixmaps on my window titlebars.  I love
having a multi-colored pager (shameless plug).  AND I REALLY love Jarl's
FvwmButtons.

I'll admit that the syntax is cryptic until you adjust, but in terms of
functionality, it is awesome.  Swallowed Application handling is so much
better now.  Swallowing, UnSwallowing, Respawning dead processes without
taking down the whole bar, etc.

I'll admit that I use vi so I know nothing about problems with emacs.
I also admit that I have only compiled it on my AIX workstation.  I have
no idea how things will fare under Linux, HP-UX, or OSF/1 (my other
accounts).

I guess the real reason for this message is. . . . well. . . . although
negative feedback can help find bugs, programmers need a pat on the back
too.  I think everything is great and with a little polishing (and
possibly GNU autoconf) . . . .. hell. . . it already is the best windows
manager there is.

Thanks Chuck, Jarl, et al.

-Alan Wild
-- 
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Alan Wild                                                "Speed News Guy"
[email-masked]       [email-masked]
<a HREF="http://www.spd.louisville.edu/~arwild01/">Homepage</a>
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 09:37:42 -0400

>>>>> "Alan" == Alan Wild <[email-masked]> writes:

Alan> With every release of software there is always a period where everyone
Alan> has to scream, "THIS DOESN'T WORK!"

Alan> Well, I'm happy to say that in my experiences. . . . it does.  :)

And there was much rejoicing! :)

Alan> I love the latest release of fvwm2 VERY VERY much.  Of course,
Alan> I'm still not 100% pleased with menu behavior and I would like
Alan> to See menus that allow you to place a title on the bottom row
Alan> so that the pointer would warp there, etc.

I'll be looking into that when I get a chance.

Alan> Putting all that aside though, I'm really pleased.  I had very
Alan> little completion problems (FvwmConsole isn't working right),

I'll be working to get FvwmConsole really there for the next beta
release.  I really didn't have time to play with it after Toshi
contributed it, but wanted to get it out there for people to toy with.
I did get it compiled by hand (at home under Linux, I believe) when he
first gave it to me, and it seemed to run pretty good.  Haven't tried
it under AIX yet, but it may need some adjustments.

Alan> and everything works great.  I love Having Pixmaps on my window
Alan> titlebars.  I love having a multi-colored pager (shameless
Alan> plug).  AND I REALLY love Jarl's FvwmButtons.

Alan> I'll admit that the syntax is cryptic until you adjust, but in
Alan> terms of functionality, it is awesome.  Swallowed Application
Alan> handling is so much better now.  Swallowing, UnSwallowing,
Alan> Respawning dead processes without taking down the whole bar,
Alan> etc.

It is a bit more powerful than the original version, yes.

Alan> I'll admit that I use vi so I know nothing about problems with
Alan> emacs.  I also admit that I have only compiled it on my AIX
Alan> workstation.  I have no idea how things will fare under Linux,
Alan> HP-UX, or OSF/1 (my other accounts).

Linux should be just fine too, as it was for me.  The others...well I
fully expect them to be ok, but we'll have to see, eh?  Some people
are even having problems on their Linux systems...

Alan> I guess the real reason for this message is. . . . well. . . . although
Alan> negative feedback can help find bugs, programmers need a pat on the back
Alan> too.  I think everything is great and with a little polishing (and
Alan> possibly GNU autoconf) . . . .. hell. . . it already is the best windows
Alan> manager there is.

Alan> Thanks Chuck, Jarl, et al.

And thank you (and everyone else) for you praise, support, and usage.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're
  [email-masked],              just havin' a nightmare--of course,
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    we are still in Hell." Gary Larson
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].