Subject: Re: FVWM: FlipFocus

From: "Michael Kirby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 08:15:24 PDT

On 29 Apr 96 at 7:48, Dan Niles wrote:

> 
> I have an idea for a useful function.  It is a slight modification to
> what Next [*] Focus does.  As a refresher, Next [*] Focus transfers
> focus to the next window, leaving the order unchanged.
> 
> The idea I have is for a function (FlipFocus) that switches the order.
> It could be used to flip back and forth between to windows using a
> single key.  I do this constantly, and currently have to remember
> whether to use Next or Prev.

Maybe what I am about to say will doom this potential idea forever, 
but isn't that similar to what microsoft DOS window in windows does?  
Alt-Tab?  

I like that functionality in windows, it enables me to switch between 
multiple applications fairly easily, providing focus (and 
deiconifying if necessary).

Would you just change the focus?  or would you also do warping?  What 
about iconification?  It is probably worth while giving it a try.   
(of course, its not my time I'm talking about spending :-)

Mike
---
[email-masked]
To obtain my PGP public key, mail "SEND PUB KEY" in the 
subject to "[email-masked]"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Niles <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 10:25:48 -0500

> but isn't that similar to what microsoft DOS window in windows does?  

Well, sort of.  In Windoze, hitting Alt-Tab and releasing has this affect. 
To cycle through windows, you hold down Alt and hit Tab repeatedly.

> deiconifying if necessary).

I like that one teensy little aspect of Windoze too.

> (of course, its not my time I'm talking about spending :-)

The problem with changing Focus is then how do we cycle through all windows?
I do not think that it is possible to implement the holding down a modifier
key and repeatedly hitting a key strategy in X.  Am I wrong? I have not
heard of anyone implementing this.

Dan Niles

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Apr 1996 19:26:18 +0200

>>>>> On Mon, 29 Apr 1996 10:25:48 -0500, Dan Niles <[email-masked]>
>>>>> said:

  Dan> The problem with changing Focus is then how do we cycle through
  Dan> all windows?  I do not think that it is possible to implement
  Dan> the holding down a modifier key and repeatedly hitting a key
  Dan> strategy in X.  Am I wrong? I have not heard of anyone
  Dan> implementing this.

I have the following in my .fvwm2rc and it works just dandy for
cycling through all windows.  Of course, here we're talking about just
switching to the last window used, so this is a little different.  But
nonetheless...

,-----
| # req focus-patch or >= 2.0.42
| AddToFunc GoThere               "I" Iconify -1
| +                               "I" Focus 50 50
| # vi/less-like bindings...
| Key j           A       3       Next [CurrentDesk] Function GoThere
| Key k           A       3       Prev [CurrentDesk] Function GoThere
`-----

I would then do

,-----
| Key TAB         A       3       Last [CurrentDesk] Function Gothere
`-----

regards,
kai
-- 
Gleep!