Subject: FVWM: Title-bar Pixmap Patch Available for 2.0.42

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 21:12:12 -0400

If you are needy of such a thing, take a look at
http://www.rpi.edu/~veliaa/projects/fvwm/fvwm_title_picture.html .
(Note: this will *remain* a patch)

Regards,

Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
http://www.rpi.edu/~veliaa
Finger for PGP Key
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 22:38:17 -0400

Andrew> http://www.rpi.edu/~veliaa/projects/fvwm/fvwm_title_picture.html

This should be
http://www.rpi.edu/~veliaa/projects/fvwm_patches/fvwm_title_picture.html

---

From: Grant Beattie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 16:40:38 +1000 (EST)

> (Note: this will *remain* a patch)

Is this similar to what fvwm95 does? ie. put a pixmap in the top left of 
the titlebar?

-<*>-   Grant Beattie - http://www.cbl.com.au/~gb/   -<*>-
-                  Mariah is my Hero and                 -
-                will Always Be My Baby...               -
-<*>-                                                -<*>-

---

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 11:36:45 -0400

>>>>>  R2D2, with all his hair, cheered:
>>>>> "All perform backflips at the words of the wonderous Grant Beattie!"

    Grant> Is this similar to what fvwm95 does? ie. put a pixmap in
    Grant> the top left of the titlebar?

I have no idea what fvwm95 does.  All this does is put a pixmap in the
center of the titlebar (with three states, active{up,down} and
inactive).

Greets,

---

From: [email-masked] (Graeme McCaffery)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 17:06:19 +0100 (BST)

>     Grant> the top left of the titlebar?

fvwm95 has to find a way to take the icon specification for each window,
miniaturise the pixmap and place that in the top left hand corner.

such a feature would of course be very useful in fvwm(mini icons would
be unnecessary) however chuck has said that a previous attempt to do
this failed. 

Perhaps someone out there would like to have a go at this. I'm still a
novice at X programing, as my work doesn't need gui's, so I'll be of
limited help.

I think this would be worthwhile though and would save the need for
playing around with xpm sizes.

Graeme

-- 
email: [email-masked]

snail mail: University of Birmingham
	    School of Electrical &
            Electronic Engineering
	    Birmingham
	    B15 2TT

---

From: "N. Dan Zou" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 11:43:03 -0700 (PDT)

> center of the titlebar (with three states, active{up,down} and

Sounds very nice, could it be extented to tile over the titlebar instead
of just centering?  That way you can have completely textured titlebars.

--
N. Dan Zou                           650 Castro Street, Suite 270
Systems Engineer                     Mountain View, California 94041
Stanford Management Group, Inc.      Phone: +1 (415) 903-9591
#include <std/disclaimer.h>          Fax:   +1 (415) 903-9378

---

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 15:09:31 -0400

>>>>>  R2D2, with all his glory, spaketh:
>>>>> "All feel wholesome at the words of the Great Graeme McCaffery!"

    Graeme> fvwm95 has to find a way to take the icon specification
    Graeme> for each window, miniaturise the pixmap and place that in
    Graeme> the top left hand corner.

    Graeme> such a feature would of course be very useful in fvwm(mini
    Graeme> icons would be unnecessary) however chuck has said that a
    Graeme> previous attempt to do this failed.

Is this really useful though :)?  If you really want something like
this, it should probably be compilation disabled by default I think,
since for some it would certainly unnecessarily increase memory
(personally, I determine what the window contains by looking in the
window rather than at the icon in the upper-left ;^) )

However, probably a "conservative" way to do it might be to add a
function to pixmap cache which would, given a pixmap file, return a
[cached] reduced version.

---

From: Todd Tyrone Fries <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 23:52:58 -0600 (MDT)

> of just centering?  That way you can have completely textured titlebars.

I second this.  It would be a very nice effect.
-- 
Todd Fries

---

From: [email-masked] (Graeme McCaffery)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 08:44:05 +0100 (BST)

> window rather than at the icon in the upper-left ;^) )

(the suggestion was mainly for fvwm95)

well if you were to have a pixmap in a button, you would be taking up
memory anyway. Therefore if you were to use a pixmap that is already in
the cache, you would save memory. The same goes for pixmaps in menus,
reused they would save memory. I reckon that all you need to do is to
reduce the pixmap's implementation and not its place in memory(i.e. load
the full pixmap and only reduce it for use); unless of course I'm
missing something about the xpm package and X. 

> [cached] reduced version.

graeme