Subject: FVWM: Beta version 2.0.42 now ready

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 16:50:37 -0400

Howdy all.

Ok, it took much longer than originally anticipated (due to some odd
coredumps and my just being terribly busy lately) and it doesn't have
all of the stuff I wanted to get in there, but the latest beta,
2.0.42, is now ready for you to try, if you so desire.

As always, it's at the new official site:

      ftp://ftp.hpc.uh.edu/pub/fvwm/version-2/fvwm-2.0.42.tar.gz

And it's a little bigger now:

  -rw-rw-r--   1 chines   users     576551 Apr 15 15:35 fvwm-2.0.42.tar.gz

Here's the ChangeLog:

2.0.42
       1. More small Imake fixes & man page updates
       2. Optional Xpm support for titlebar buttons patch from Andrew
          Veliath
       3. Made event handler jump table be a bigger default size, since
          LASTEvent doesn't account for X Extension related events (eg
          SHAPE)
       4. FvwmPager display updates: DeskColor patch from Alan Wild,
          line distinctions between desks and pages, reinstated message mask
       5. Patch to make fvwm recognize some OpenLook WM hints (like MWM
          hints) from Andrew Taylor
       6. Added FvwmIconMan module (by Brady Montz)
       7. Replaced FvwmButtons with New & Improved version from Jarl Totland,
          had to patch to get to work ok under AIX (char's are unsigned by
          default under AIX)
       8. Added DestroyFunc for removing function definitions
       9. Made Exec use $SHELL, like mwm, if ExecUseSHELL is specified,
          plus Exec now does an explicit "exec" as the first arg (if it's
          not there already), to eliminate extra processes
       10. Completely replaced fvwm_err (removed) & most fprintf calls
           (those that were appropriate) w/ fvwm_msg (which has
           variable args, a consistent look, and will eventually
           optionally output to a file as well as to stderr)
       11. Fix from Nobutaka Suzuki for probs w/ Next/Prev Focus
       12. Patch from Henrique to make EdgeScroll wrap cleaner
       13. Patches to FvwmIconBox from Nobutaka Suzuki
       14. Patches for caching xpm files, modules having Popups on
           ButtonPress events, & rc line continuation (from Jarl)
       15. Make SHAPE extension runtime determinite in addition to compile
           time so same exec can run on different machines better (John
           Bazik, the author of XMX wanted this) - Haven't fixed up the
           modules that use SHAPE yet though (next release)
       16. New module FvwmConsole (a good potential replacement for
           FvwmTalk) from Toshi Isogai.  Currently won't build as part of
           the normal process (you'll have to do it by hand until I
           integrate it further).
       17. Added more mini icons from list members.
       18. Added new-system.fvwmrc, which is the beginning of a
           reformatted & commented rc file (from Eli Burke).  Feel free to
           provide your $0.02 on it.

Have fun.

Hopefully the next one won't take as long, and I anticipate the next
one being the last beta before the official release.  I know I've said
that before, but I think it might be true this time...

Also, I'm contemplating pulling out a lot of the icons into a separate
tar file, and leaving just some "essential" ones (which would be the
only ones that the sample rc file would use).  I might do the same
thing with some of the modules.  I haven't decided yet on either, and
I'm open to any compelling arguements for one way or the other.

Chuck

PS - I know I've been pretty quiet on the mailing list lately, but as
I said I've been really busy lately.  If you asked a question pointed
at me and I haven't answered it yet, hopefully I will soon.  If I seem
to "forget" feel free to ask again after a reasonable period of
time...

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're
  [email-masked],              just havin' a nightmare--of course,
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    we are still in Hell." Gary Larson
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ric Steinberger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 14:37:29 -0700

Hi Chuck,

	Does the new fvwm make sticky icons a different color than
non-sticky ones?  Can it place icons on the root window where they
aren't (usually) obscured by other panes?  These are two features 
in fvwm 1.24 that have been keeping me from upgrading to 2.X.

regards,

Ric Steinberger                      Email: [email-masked]
SRI Consulting                       Phone: 415.859.4300
333 Ravenswood Ave  BS287            Pager: 415.907.4598
Menlo Park CA 94025                  FAX:   415.859.2986

---

From: Justin Zaglio <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Apr 1996 22:46:31 -0400

Hi, all!

I've been using .41 for a while now and everything's great.  I
downloaded .42 today and compiled it; no problems there.  The problem
is the 'new and improved FvwmButtons' module.  I can't seem to get it
to do _anything_, let alone what it was doing before.  FvwmButtons is
in the Init and Restart functions, and I rewrote the *FvwmButtons
stuff to conform to (I think) the new format.  The relevant lines are
included below.  All they do now is start up the Pager in the lower rh
corner of the screen.  I get no errors in .xsession-errors, no
disk-thrashing, nothing.  Can someone take a look at this, or perhaps
confirm that something might be wrong (doubtful, it's probably me
doing something stupid)?

Thanks a lot for your time.

->justin zaglio

----------------------------------------------------------------------

#------------------ FvwmButtons
*FvwmButtonsFore Black
*FvwmButtonsBack #c3c3c3
*FvwmButtonsFont -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
# Geometry - really likes to pick its own size, but giving a position is OK
*FvwmButtonsGeometry -0-0
# Layout: specify rows or columns, not both
*FvwmButtonsRows 1

# Define the buttons to use.....
*FvwmButtons(2x1, Swallow "xclock" `Exec xclock -bg \#c3c3c3 -geometry -1500-1500 -padding 0 &`)
*FvwmButtons(2x1, Swallow "xload"  `Exec nice -16 xload -nolabel -bg grey60 -update 5 -geometry -1500-1500 &`)
*FvwmButtons(Title 80x24, Icon rterm.xpm, Action `Exec "XTerm" xt rxvt bash &`)
*FvwmButtons(Title 80x50, Icon rterm.xpm, Action `Exec "XTerm" lxt rxvt bash &`)
*FvwmButtons(Title brox, Icon rterm.xpm, Action `Exec "XTerm" lxt brox rlogin -x brox &`)
*FvwmButtons(Title cnet, Icon rterm.xpm, Action `Exec "XTerm" xt columbianet telnet cnet &`)
*FvwmButtons(Title cunix, Icon rterm.xpm, Action `Exec "XTerm" lxt cunix telnet cunix.cc.columbia.edu &`)
*FvwmButtons(Title manila, Icon rterm.xpm, Action `Exec "XTerm" lxt manila rlogin -x manila &`)
*FvwmButtons(Title simile, Icon rterm.xpm, Action `Exec "XTerm" lxt simile rlogin -x simile &`)
*FvwmButtons(Title watsun, Icon term.xpm, Action `Exec "XTerm" lxt watsun rlogin -x watsun &`)
*FvwmButtons(Title kerberos, Icon snoopy.xpm, Action `Popup Kerberos`)
*FvwmButtons(Title kill, Icon rbomb.xpm, Action Destroy)
*FvwmButtons(Title lock, Icon atom.xpm, Action `Exec "XLock" xlock -mode hyper -nolock`)
*FvwmButtons(Title logout, Icon disk_run.xpm, Action `Popup Quit-Verify`)
*FvwmButtons(3x1, Swallow "FvwmPager" `FvwmPager 0 0`)

---

From: Henrique Martins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 21:50:52 -0700

> ...

  The patch adds to 2.0.42 a few of the changes/patches I've posted
  to this list, and that didn't make it into 2.0.42:

    - a patch to make the windows in the pager move in "real time"
    - a patch to allow Focus to place the mouse anywhere in the window.
    - a small fix to paging on the corners
    - a small fix to paging while moving, if the scroll amount is less than
      screen height/width.

  Also included is a fix to a #undef in modules/FvwmButtons/misc.c which
  looks like:

    #undef makemult(a,b)

  and that my ANSI-C compiler doesn't like, and needs to be replaced with

    #undef makemult

  Files affected are:

    fvwm/builtins.c
    fvwm/events.c
    fvwm/icons.c
    fvwm/misc.h
    fvwm/module.h
    fvwm/move.c
    fvwm/virtual.c
    modules/FvwmButtons/misc.c
    modules/FvwmDebug/FvwmDebug.c
    modules/FvwmDebug/FvwmDebug.h
    modules/FvwmPager/FvwmPager.c
    modules/FvwmPager/FvwmPager.h

  -- Henrique ([email-masked])

---- Cut Here and feed the following to sh ----
#!/bin/sh
# This is a shell archive (produced by shar 3.49)
# To extract the files from this archive, save it to a file, remove
# everything above the "!/bin/sh" line above, and type "sh file_name".
#
# made 04/16/1996 04:30 UTC by martins@martins
# Source directory /tmp
#
# existing files will NOT be overwritten unless -c is specified
#
# This shar contains:
# length  mode       name
# ------ ---------- ------------------------------------------
#  15801 -rw-rw-r-- fvwm.2.0.42.p1
#
# ============= fvwm.2.0.42.p1 ==============
if test -f 'fvwm.2.0.42.p1' -a X"$1" != X"-c"; then
	echo 'x - skipping fvwm.2.0.42.p1 (File already exists)'
else
echo 'x - extracting fvwm.2.0.42.p1 (Compressed)'
sed 's/^X//' << 'SHAR_EOF' | uudecode &&
Xbegin 600 _shar_cmp_.tmp
XM'YV,*@*",&/G3IL78NJD84,GC9LY+L:X>",GS9D$3=ZX`1$$CAP0,6J`O*%#
XM1@T=,&Z`S)'#AH(6,`<6/)AP8<.'$3%JY.@1I,@8)&78T%'#QLJ6"@(J7<I4
XM15*!(6>P")D#Q%(%(+*J`)'13IDY`]^,J0.6SAL0<^"4&9/&3)HR9$#<<4CF
XMS1T06+7FM=JTK]^_@`,+_OM"00@0=MZDB6M$+-DG;E`8F7F%KEVK=%@XI`."
XM2)DD8S2VS0.939X4>??D'='6#9DR9D`X>>+DBY4D4JA4"<)D+XC-(,C@84$F
XMSXZ7,:-.K5$5)LR]6[M^#3NV[-FT:]N^C3O7]67HT`>+'T]>?.'#B1>#:%P=
XMLF3*EN^JR`S<,VC19DB[,:W9#6>U<HQ1AG]8L/";?R``**!_6:"6E6I9L6:&
XM:[#)1IMMN.G&FV_`"4><<4\-%N)*-+`@`PPQ\!60;WWX5@8;<Y3AFVJ'9945
XM'B#T``(=+?A@AAQAM%'&%W@<5Z.->>2X8X\_!CDDB#:"T&*4;:$0`@H\^LA&
XM&&>`90((0["1QAAK4/$&>V2EX&"4(&!Q11ARP`&%8OZ5(0<*9,"1AX%.:%2&
XM@5.,(8<+4KSQ1F8@P&"@HHDN:B`>*\C`0AZ1IG"<<R2:",,,(#C7`HLNPBAC
XME#2RB:..638I))$@K``"EDP"N>I<9-"!AE4)VKD@'5BD`,(+(,$`@Y%L)HEJ
XMK$Y^D:2KL/HHZY!HE&$1&IQMI>"`=#3X:[##&L9F6Z^>>JRSR>+H:JK/?D&K
XMK;[B`1.Q5,:&@K'CJOIDJTN2NVJTT]+A:Q[O@AJOE<V:L667('P9YIAEGNG8
XM'&KZEI6;<,I))QUVXJDGGWX"*BBAAB+*Z,B.@@"II)3*8&F(@HUX`PTWL'!#
XM#2I=E16'9J!@1QALI!B"CC"L^:"W4:(YAWOO&529=_*EL'//+`1]')N_R8M"
XMTFTL75?3.O,<@YI,'NPE"$D,05L21B11!!%"VP@AU9U]%IH;HUT]F=+Q6>6T
XMURL?6?3#2-^===XJ[`VUU!)+*;#BF+Z<@\S,=>I<7CAWW3,(/R?:=JE_MQ<9
XMUEI?5OC3,41M.N)4@WLUZ(2G8/G7*83-Y=AEGYWVVFT/#7?<]]&=G]WP,:TW
XMZ7W#;73@P6\]O->G1[TRU5/:&'V+X[EL@Z(WV%"5S8@I%I<9#W]A1AUNC($"
XM%D5XA:`*9:A/!QPLA'[7'2P(+C]F;<"AKD,LY)5``N2;@T7<`!<0L$$C9P#!
XMW#"&!T2-`0UPLDH8QM`0C1@(."K("!GJP(8RK.EM65&=9\Q@IR+@82UUJ&!D
XMVH<M^)F`?B:@0_[VYP86F&"!96@@"Z90!"8480A48($04F@6-TCA164(0XPB
XM1C4YE($.=9"#&Z:&ER,=+S(RU%]WG$?%Z%&N<3:0U`UP``/)/2<KZ?E>^,97
XMOO.E#UM68:%_X'<_^MF/<%FD8?^R\K\`#K"`!W1#`G&H0P5"\",JF*`*+[@^
XM#7+0@ZE1@*M"B"#2&>AIDD*,U[Y`OC0@"I.<I!NBIBA)&Y4R*QO1T1&>2(4[
XMO"$(<CA#'83DGSF@0)%IL&#"++E+GF72!*0+I2<-!$Q?"M-?QW'5*:OVJHUD
XM3@8@X`,?-'DY'B0JFM,D'0A\P"UL4A.:UBRC-+^Y36[Y2C63M)$V@99,-F%2
XM2=U*9XN4&:]7C;"$)QR+"E$@Q_?9$(9YW.(--<+`S/#0AT`4(A$U<L0.*M&#
XMN0.!$Z$H12H2;3V`P^(,MZ@H2V+R>8J[V<V4(A.#O*"?$)$(12RBDXUTY",A
XM&4E)2!(#&AS%)9@BB$E1FI.,N+0G,06*#FB``Z+@X*8L"\R(:EJ#&DR%!C13
XMD5,PQ52GUC0'*?*4;R8:Q8UT*RM>=%4:U\,&LJ`A"G4H0UK!@@+4N`J=-LHA
XMQJ1X(,Z8@0S[JQ4:VIF5NWXA1IQY0PK%1P;`\K6NOSDL<";ZM'8NTPA$^((6
XMBB"%)Z#`!(*E`V$!N[)T@N].:>C!L'[#`S?`(0UJF<,.?K."%;B537!-7<Y.
XMJQ:TJK4,6TA#%S+GA"HP@0FO30!<$Y`5R'Z!AU1`P1TJ@C$HH/8KN>T",3.[
XMV2=V%@0)F">;M'LS5TGH-;'YPA?0`(<ZX&&9C.59#V+400JBP*_K0D/)4(#!
XM%&!VL'<%K.EDXUO@MG,$+XH1>I_XM/4BT;WP78RM2G9?S>;WB27K[6^O"V#7
XMM&69R_PL?46[@S24EK9?Z7!K7TNJ90YLN9XL@W-3&]UM`BVXPPUASE"07C;X
XM(&@F,(%D(IN$*2!7N<Q5\7/G$-WIXK>PUHV8JXCKME(RN6AEG<-9TYI6^E[W
XMR8I;,G>E5\I24D\@.CW(F#22THE4Y"(^Y0E,?Q*4HLZ@C#%@"4YC$N87C!DG
XM8VBIFGTB4QFX^2=R3BI@7#8#&\B,!M#D7I2\.+"`.D1V"%.8F,AD)J.AQF\8
XM]1R6-LJ_KUDT2DLH0QG@`!DSP:&M%FU<H0\-3:U"CW*-YK0;(#VVA5':8=6Y
XM-)NNN&DM=OIT(/5-J$==ZC><.M@DK7,;TC`'B:#!S"Q-\TOY+%0_#]4H<49*
XM3F?R@F4WVP5HT/.T@QJ4'*#DJ-EV2?5(*H.7F8B,4LW+6(=-:C>86F?>`^E8
XMI6R7+\`A#&X@X)W2J&_O@>!-GFR,'(9(AR+.H0JG)CBQQLKK.PIO/OWAC'WF
XM-IK2G(:*0C`4&T``A2T)2'ZLN[BC:P@"/YZ!@'$)9`(--KN,QVT.:RBX>GXD
XM:AIN[0MN<!);+:Z\^>3/0"%_P\C=4(<U#,A)2!<Y")CN]#L'&U/M+I&?R^CJ
XM[JF'WL6.>+ZIN&\T]/O?`<^8Q.5M<(330>$,=SC$\;V8XE$\HRDO.GT0M''\
XMZ(<_P+D6@6PN^&R!-.DC+_D$RX!RHHMNY09R.<P-B,"!B,WFGL&YSK_GQ"%U
XMY^=!%]+0D_?XHX,`\5-O^M.%%'6EI[[J<T,VF+G=AC=LL(/@AC::=S)N-I?$
XMW#+@5+J1TX*2'J3VMR\#N,4-5-_+P-PTP':@UPT50\L@T4J!-0A&`%Z'E`$$
XM4Z!"$'+S!2,P(0A'2!0>S,#^]K.?<H?A/FR\SY4O.*$(5_@"%-!?A-W9"`5?
XMLQK=1T#U=W_Y1P1%,`5+X']9`8`\P`,!&"$#^'U-\`5!0`21=05)X`1$\`17
XMX'\.R`,J(X#S1X`5*`5!T&-%\`4:R($>"#<A.`.H0576UVJ3(U+;-X'@)W[D
XM9W[HIW[NYW[PEX,E2('VAW_ZQW\,^"HQ\(!!0X)N88)'>(`)N(`,&((12(11
XM:(07F($;V($?N#LA.((26(3UAX(JR()?^()4$X.H07U;,0,XP`(T8%/<(W];
XM6']%P(%?8#9.D#9'\`4;:`1/$"58F`-K@H?T5X&U4QMIXT-7V(0B^(1EF(<5
XMB(!&$`2^106-*(:2*`,!&'\ZV`1!@`5?T`0).`7\-P7^=WU0N(BE>(I!H(!+
XMV(`A2(JFB(H^MHJQDX6O2(!(4`072%G'E023Y7\T0'P@((=T*!)=IXA2N(>1
XMY8>`*(A_6(C_)XEQEHBC*(A^6'Y)`(D@^(F4J(6+^`68J(E,P(E^Z(D/"(JZ
XM!HU&V`1/<!M.$(@M"(9M^(DC*(IFB(NGF(JKV(HS\(L4&(ND2(NU>#62")"Z
XMJ(I'D("]N"8&"0+!.(Q24(S'N#O)F&RT]P9>$1&ZQWQKUF?F5@/0-'S;9E*U
XM%Y)Y)FW-)U-O1A0I,GQP"`(G(BDG<E3<DP!C\%!<<2BYY`9]TA#YH0/^<R,C
XMIR-OY!\N@`>UIT)/^05R$#)4Q&1YP!E,Z3Y/&95#Z0)Y0)56Z2U,A@0`1P8=
XM!`5<XA!G@`*!,BA-D`=$P&QPL"5Y4!EZM4,?$Y=SF19VB032<@;48D-XP`8V
XME)5[A%U89B,F\!H,$09$8D..20>0N2=&P#-+=)59\0);X41D`"1W82O?)P=U
XM(`9B8"=B<)9641A\I)2MHB-8\`3L9UC*F).:<E1=YY-`F1$J5)2C@92M:3)+
XM"0)-20==*90:,955>2B:"0)9J23%>9Q2&9;+20?$4I9GF99K*4AN^3%%0`9G
XM4`9OJ71L4"!OZ0+?&9[CR09LD`6$:9@F@)C^LYA9T9@O0IF1:9^/J2SU@YD>
XMU)R<*5%P`9H[$BT259JG*0>IZ1JKF93"^9IM(IMF0)LW*0.(9B(P$V]8=Z$F
XMD54WJ)A8(!THER=[LG+(PGJ%.2G(Y*!@Y:!]69=AD`=S(D#[!'F%N0+G:07#
XMD94X^C%68)G^>5T,*`15&09D\)-SP!DH4('T:(_XN(978"`E8F*U2#4FZ@/T
XM(YP&@I@[(FL]DGEKT#_I5*540S*:<UB[8P11-F6WQ58@Q61U08`Z0@524`5%
XMT)QBX$1AL`86Y9$F90=I(`=0Q#,BN5*[]U,E*50S$`-#!6>!MI('`:B"6@>$
XM^I*\%Y.*>A)-A505B@-.]7R<HF@@$`8-5Q$)@3$I%45S0!%*<IZ",P2J2A%$
XMYD-&0`5=0$59<9YJZ09&\"Q,`!O&V1U*DCA8,`1ZBC'WHS%[`GX?4RB'8B!D
XM^62*LG^.B(*H^`54@`1ELP3WYV.)^3\V0JWE9ZTKF*W;VJU3T#^'`:ZYNI=R
XM29=_&9C4T@(RH`+B:@3DBJW:.@3<FHK?*JTLD``!Z@9G(084\1J(Q)J*:2-#
XM8&QYT*MOT`9JZ43^82!)8%HIY'$&TK!Z`K$2"R?8`JU\]&1/DU9MH$1AFC"D
XM2@>FFD)?L3)8YZDFD@.<TG59L;(MBZH1$:L?H2.N.A.P*@>K*K1;0*NVBJO,
XM.BB[VJM.\JMF$*P.,:Q44ZS'RGAYHZP>,RC.BBC1:B.*HBCS&:Y!4*U!<*WF
XMRJ_HJJX+VZYP^:Y^&:.`V2__ZK4!.[`%>[!VTJ`CR[`.Z[$3&[)D@[%TH+%@
XMTK=5^;$4R[5[BT8\8[(H2TPXFP:G^K+'4:$Y4")OAGTK$B61.[FI*K2LZK,?
XM\ZH\2V12D`1'@`1'ZQNZ"G!,*R12T"\N(*PZ0JS&FD3(>K4DFK4@\ZQ5M+9)
XMZP)\":\QBI>VT@+WFJ]GVZ_>FKQE6Z[[RKSI&K99X;QF&[UIV[5L*[QN"Z-Y
XM$+>"R2/U:KW0>Z[^2KV-(K!;0;`@8+!R@+!Z"[P<^["'^[<5&[CE-;C[L:SS
XMZ[<@>[_H6[)E<+(X![FE*KDN"S&7$A//A[DP8(-G9".=F\`["[H]&[RD:\&F
XMB[JJ>ZNL^S%+^RRQ&[ZS&[6U.[6W2ZI6*SQ8&[Q;"ZWK^F3G.;QO>Y<*A@;(
XM.[;C^KSZ:K[>"K:+2W(ZC*\\O+S9&\,V,L/=&Z]RB[Z*HKY3=[?OF[<JH+#L
XM6K@=6[__BR@7F[^$V[]:G+@B"[P"3,`I:P(3C*HK0U+(]TAS\`*"$W=DUFW,
XM)A$J=68D26TT-0-&A528TL8=],9QO%`/0<??9JF(JL<Z4%/GQJGBL50U(!54
XM$6]1H@+Q!0=*0@;QA;0JP"_AB\DZ0@:>3"U(RU45Y2TC0#[@!0(GZW1MP$%T
XM<$LL(`:)J,H5<K)X$`3804%8L!JV'!NXK,MJ04%9X,L4`LP.(<QKP2O*J!R3
XM;+-6<<F9O,F^T<GR^CZ9/,K6N55/U%7$DLK'S,I[.L"P;,RK',R[S,P1\LOB
XMG,OI7,SK',[+Y@;*S,LC`LA?`<<SX1D)<0;Z;!#\7`=G4*AX#).)2A(PL\@U
XM^:@Q@<^"O,]ET,__W`8!/="(O&?D-E0D,0/"-WV/3%(A86@Q8`,I<A545113
XM80,V9;/ET=(N71X*.U8>(19?,0=?('ISP"5E@`*2!TB51P=YH!8LT-,Q5WDJ
XM8+#%\4'+!!Q2UA;;G$Y$37F"%!QU``>'Y1MS,!=T\$!8$M201#4@9"-(RH48
XMJ(8N>`5(>9,C+<DVP)/91X,B_3)F]"E4,];U1XVH6P52L(+YZ('`"3=BDJ1?
XM,#=N(4M.A`)(_7&)DQ5YFD1\2J5VS:3UN(%/>M9(.:8V$MB:U9)LZ7-V@=BV
XMI]B8S=AZ^MAUO9OHF(!T^@198-9@^-=4H]E?\!I)6I5Y`-I)C;11TMA[6KD?
XM#14MH2DE_=8,_,`F$@-<]Z%1$MFN[8'V][RPS2:R_7G]%GH[G=@@136\_=B8
XMS=SIN(F->-F`S6R:!5Y?<&=`YR2X+=IPL]VZK4"HW8C/C8K1'26RC=[6O=[9
XMS2;N+6A_,2([>=PUDWVG'2-ZR(=]?05,T&-44-^93=Y?,"!D@&J+W;ZE?2EL
XMXMU%D(G@[8<.SMSR_8A%X.#@%0:PC)28EA6R33YK0+!W$!G8_=ZD[=CO/3VU
XM"10FPM%SG3C,+8W-K>`,[N`J#N$23N&[T]\%;H0A'HXC3J5#+MCH[18=I-]H
XM:B-(SB8E?N(754]=K18Y\F);SB9FX!&;(2])BK!RP`(BD`3L609GP#,),D%.
XMQQE`[>4E0`9<X`8B8"!U_I]AGA4!]GV<`S>?]2I-_;3P9"`;!,H[XM6KA2=5
XMG3#J]S68`S1X$`.K=>ATT%J*7M4^X`,]X&E_;B-C7A'^8>9T@.9J7@5NT.)V
XML1'_1B9/U.AV3@8&(@:>!`)WGN=[3NM_@A9HX-3%LSLKWNHNOA%4/NK1H]T7
XMGC@V7J$D;2(W,-PK@G4W$#-OMM+*/1!D?NHH<.9VDN8BP`6<<6<&%`:G.7+4
XM?1<EP`9XP.NS'-I;$&==L-^E7N;?GNKAKN;D_AMSDR!I`)5A@,GKKNON#N^)
XMO04G4N^KA1=1<N_>#NYR(.[]7O!G`"2`"M0&_^YZ'N_%H?`QP/#=1>K=3@<Y
XM(_$43^=R!?`G-'+MSO%[GO#7)_)XX5DE?_+Z/O'\SAFI2287+U@,>EHMO_$(
XM+^_!1_-YP6B_\M),W_1^`1XVLA4D5Y4"LD%.)-Y6D0"RS=F"Y-EW47QD0+QY
XM`!:Q/N<*1%#88AUHD?-R<$I.,4E.'_=Q7QAB97!;#Y*=O>X\_1!_5-13?=2A
XM_5JQQ>VF;O+YKNHBT!5L>7#QP>M"2OCXCO([3S9$0/0=G_`PP/`9=O.'O^_C
XMSADXTNYXWO$H(',ID/`A__@0;_B2__G.:?"CO^>ECT"G;_2:;_.%C_.(W^^T
XMO0:P#^^S+TBU__$S</M95O-++_?*[])N[_;52_5P$45E`-LJH/403M@6(?V=
XM$AQB3_9R/NLX5$L[<AUL#_5:L?SH/QZ%8;E:QQ(:&A,ST&XLP-':'L%]Q?FM
XMW^_FOB7I+A=Y\_)%__'T;N_XS_:3;^Y"?[($__\'?_E&G_GVCO]L/_D6C_&>
XME"0O7_0?#XI(C_N1S_:37U`L_R*6'_-&+P-(C_N1S_:3W_-K\/.JS/(O8ODQ
XM;_3%;RDXJ/2<F?[IWS(WR='8CFCO7WPS<`.2,@,WT!S;OOJZ[_G]'OIL$/LL
XM$/QG,/QYL`69;^_XS_:3GR2B#_RFC_J:__#XS_:3W_N_3_JF+_/&?_^YW_DZ
XM[_HX@LN_3_JFG_#%K_KXS_:3GR2X_/ND;_H)3P.:WZ(XR)GIG_XM<Y-R^#@S
XMD`,BH6CIG_Z#$=-V#^$L?NQ[+T`OY]-_C]V15'SWG_N=K_,BP.JN_N)Q+NMT
XM[M6.WT7:QYGIG_XM@RF(9F@TL*@[?I,P8VA$1>U3%1,U$`.24@,T4+/;OOJZ
XM[_G]'F8)PK*6'_.V;^_XS_:37_#6K>MS`/P/%$&%<UD)7_QJ8E&NHEU=YBJ<
XMF?[IWS)P[_Q33]-6/_UN;_U0/C?BLQ#?!_;='^>RSAGA3P=JC_+-#_?IG_Z"
XM0?=>%W,0'N4+L=-1+7-6@=VE-/BKK_N>;^Y27@:.?UBKK_N>3^Y2_GW6K>MS
XM`/P/%$&%<UD)7_QJTD[:U66NPIGIG_XM`_?./_4T;?73[_;6+]CFC=].LOUA
XM7\/>+^N<$?YTH/8HW_QPG_[I+QAT[W4Q!^'FC=_J'=4R9Q7874J#O_JZ[_E9
XMSA#^KA&.?UBKK_N>K___;MVZ/@?`_T`15#B7E?#%KR9=I'WW;'MN/-$5/=$5
XMG7N&FL<9'<E#95,JV="VY\837=$37='+9]"*7`,TL,@IZ=$B`M*2`A3O7WPQ
XM("DQ@)L?RG;J(=M&.N%1+7-6$>-LIQZRC?V&O=-1+7-6$>.E-%9W#ZA=K_=1
XM+7-6$>-LIQZR3=LL^P:W'=4R9Q4QSG;J(=O@4QU[+T`OY]-_'^-LIQZR;19G
XM<`93'M4R9Q4Q[M]/SVZ/,P-V2-S%]V;SKQ)=-U:R/09;,@>V%-4R9Q4QSG;J
XM(=M.9-/Y'=4R9Q4QSG;J(=M%OG9UKQZR;=[XK=Y1+7-6$>.E-%;W/3?BLQ`[
XM'=4R9Q4QKGV4P\:VY\83K9;A*0<3K9;A.2AW'&V7>M`Z,`/F!@.`IFT-;7MN
XM/-%J&9YR,-%J&9Z#<M&]!Q)%%0,R,%0+C11J'>TC;10FG1S1/M(JT76L^T1-
XM4-,ZW00H^UZV7N%+6(%=^.-\X.2U*-E.^N-\4.%+6(%X?01ZS==0R@<5OH27
XMJ-J5U=H)S@<5OH052(A#4`53T(=(,+81R0?^_?3L-@-:-P/;0]S%%WR?2@,U
XMN^U9P=QX?01ZS==0*N0&=/T:4=C2G^Q'WNS=C=I-2MD_CO72#>%<?P9>_RHQ
XM[N063N,\CMH(&'Z5U=H)+N0&!.&TS;)O<-LQ7N']?9/Q7SKQ;Q0F#?\F,?\V
XM4+/;C@(JX!'M$SL^4%!*(O,RX,&&J`(>T3ZQXP,][_LZ(O/%C[1!0`9DX`1E
XM<`<HIP(>T3[7I5VEQ)GIG_XM`_?./_4T;?73[_;6+]A<?P9>O_UA7\/>+^N<
XM$?YTH/8HW_QPG_[I+QATC_QC=?>`VO4%O_<"]'(^_??874J#KY;A*0?W,Q^'
XM=3^4&4M/I"Y7[5FLBB5P$IZ:=1<Z@OG2Y>11HI7@1YF"6N4VPAF\U5\)\R59
XM<A>90YFQ]$3J4N4VHI7Y0D`-=%U+G3.<P5O]=4Y4FB6GTK[R'O)5GB7&TKZV
XM[UB87259TON5WK[R7OPDQB9#`$&"5`9@JG#)BB@)7_R/#^BBXN1!Z15')$!Z
XMH&(Z+0=6\!9W@2771:6J8S1+\^4[0F)L@@0+T2^O@BBT\?B`+BI.;I$+T2^O
XM@BA/8`1&\/@VCH.<F?[IWS)L;'MN/-%J&9YR,-%J&9Z#\FR&FL<9/0/FAMQ^
XMW-"VY\83K9;A*0<3K9;A.2CA9M"*/`/F-@.`AA0WB54LT!+O7WQ8Q0(YH!)=
XMQW;J(=M&.N%1+7-6$>-LIQZRC?V&O=-1+7-6$>.E-%9W#ZA=7_![+T`OY]-_
XM'^-LIQZR3=LL^P:W'=4R9Q4QSG;J(=O@4QU[+T`OY]-_'^-LIQZR;19G<`93
X('M4R9Q4QK@`L
X`
Xend
SHAR_EOF
echo 'uncompressing file fvwm.2.0.42.p1' &&
compress -d < _shar_cmp_.tmp > 'fvwm.2.0.42.p1' && rm -f _shar_cmp_.tmp &&
chmod 0664 fvwm.2.0.42.p1 ||
echo 'restore of fvwm.2.0.42.p1 failed'
Wc_c="`wc -c < 'fvwm.2.0.42.p1'`"
test 15801 -eq "$Wc_c" ||
	echo 'fvwm.2.0.42.p1: original size 15801, current size' "$Wc_c"
fi
exit 0

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Apr 1996 14:56:13 +0200

>>>>> On Mon, 15 Apr 1996 21:50:52 -0700, Henrique Martins
>>>>> <[email-masked]> said:

  Henrique> The patch adds to 2.0.42 a few of the changes/patches I've
  Henrique> posted to this list, and that didn't make it into 2.0.42:

  Henrique> - a patch to make the windows in the pager move in "real
  Henrique>   time"
  Henrique>[...]

This is funny :-)  Though I don't think it was meant that way.  To
explain: the behavior I get is that I can move a window about all I
want.  FvwmPager memorizes the path the window takes and haves the
little window (within the Pager) trace the path of the `big' window,
but not quite in real time...

The little window traces the path after you let go of the mouse button
to move the big window.

Is this intended?  It's most funny, anyway!

kai
--
There ain't no cure for the summertime blues.

---

From: Henrique Martins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 07:06:00 -0700

> ... the behavior I get is that I can move a window about all I

  That's not what it does on both my HP-UX 9.05 and Linux 1.2.13 systems,
  where the window in the pager does follow the moves of real window very
  closely.

  If you installed the patch manually look it over again. If you did it
  automatically try "make clean; make all" or "make depend; make all".

  -- Henrique

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 12:09:16 -0400

----------
...
>            provide your $0.02 on it.

You don't seem to mention more  built-in defaults, but they are there.
The default style for "color" produces icon titles that are unreadable
due to lack of contrast:

fvwm.c line 347
  ExecuteFunction("Style \"*\" Color black/dimgrey, Title, RandomPlacement",

I  think the  "dimgrey" is  a good  choice,   it certainly suggests  a
non-selected window to  me.    May I  suggest "white/dimgrey"  to  get
decent contrast.

> Have fun.

So far, I am.

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 13:24:11 -0400

>>>>>  Superman, with all his force, protested:
>>>>> "All gasp at the words of the bewildering Kai Grossjohann!"

>>>>> <[email-masked]> said:

    Henrique> The patch adds to 2.0.42 a few of the changes/patches
    Henrique> I've posted to this list, and that didn't make it into
    Henrique> 2.0.42:

    Henrique> time" [...]

    Kai> This is funny :-) Though I don't think it was meant that way.
    Kai> To explain: the behavior I get is that I can move a window
    Kai> about all I want.  FvwmPager memorizes the path the window
    Kai> takes and haves the little window (within the Pager) trace
    Kai> the path of the `big' window, but not quite in real time...

    Kai> The little window traces the path after you let go of the
    Kai> mouse button to move the big window.

    Kai> Is this intended?  It's most funny, anyway!

I am running on XFree 3.1.2x and it does run in "real-time."  I am
going to try it later on AIX 3.2 and Sunos 4.1.1 see what happens
there.  Kai, what OS are you on?  It sounds like the events are not
being flushed during the movement.  Maybe an XFlush() might do
somewhere (possibly affecting certain architectures) ???

PC sellers are Bill collectors.
Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
http://www.rpi.edu/~veliaa
Finger for PGP Key
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Apr 1996 20:25:44 +0200

>>>>> On Tue, 16 Apr 1996 13:24:11 -0400, Andrew Veliath
>>>>> <[email-masked]> said:

  Andrew> I am running on XFree 3.1.2x and it does run in "real-time."
  Andrew> I am going to try it later on AIX 3.2 and Sunos 4.1.1 see
  Andrew> what happens there.  Kai, what OS are you on?  It sounds
  Andrew> like the events are not being flushed during the movement.
  Andrew> Maybe an XFlush() might do somewhere (possibly affecting
  Andrew> certain architectures) ???

I tried this on SunOS 4.1.4 (MIT X11R6) and Solaris 2.5 (also MIT
X11R6).  After some advice from Henrique I ran FvwmDebug and saw that
FvwmDebug does not print any motion events until one lets go of the
mouse button (releases it).  After releasing the mouse button, all
motion events are fed into Fvwm at a fast rate.  That's why the little
windows danced after button-up.

If I find time, I'll debug this.  Maybe you could try this under
OpenWindows?

kai

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 15:01:53 -0400

>>>>> "Dan" == Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

>> 1. More small Imake fixes & man page updates
Dan> ...
>> provide your $0.02 on it.

Dan> You don't seem to mention more built-in defaults, but they are
Dan> there.

I didn't mention them yet because the real reason I added them was in
an effort to get it to be able to run without an rc file, for those
people who forget to copy the rc file into their home directory.  The
additions were not enough (it still locks up), and I didn't have more
time to investigate it further.

Perhaps better (or rather, easier) would be to make it yell and scream
a lot if it can't find the file it's trying to read, which it
currently doesn't (actually, it should probably do that regardless).

Dan> The default style for "color" produces icon titles that are unreadable
Dan> due to lack of contrast:

Really?  It's not much contrast, but still very readable for me.

Dan> fvwm.c line 347
Dan>   ExecuteFunction("Style \"*\" Color black/dimgrey, Title, RandomPlacement",

Dan> I  think the  "dimgrey" is  a good  choice,   it certainly suggests  a
Dan> non-selected window to  me.

I thought so.

Dan> May I  suggest "white/dimgrey"  to  get decent contrast.

That certainly does give better contrast, but I don't think I like it
as much.  The 'white' is too much contrast.  Perhaps 'wheat' or
'lightgrey' for the foreground would be better.  How do these look on
your system (particularily the latter, which I like only slightly less
than the black).

>> Have fun.

Dan> So far, I am.

Glad to hear it.

Chuck

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 15:16:30 -0400

>>>>> "Ric" == Ric Steinberger <[email-masked]> writes:

Ric> Hi Chuck,

Hi Ric.

Ric>    Does the new fvwm make sticky icons a different color than
Ric> non-sticky ones?

Not yet.  It is on my TO-DO list still though (to at least
investigate), since I miss it too (more for windows than icons
though).

Ric> Can it place icons on the root window where they aren't (usually)
Ric> obscured by other panes?

This is missing too, and still on the TO-DO list.  Icon placement
could use some improvement.  I have an old patch which offers some
suggestions, but haven't evaluated it yet.

Ric> These are two features in fvwm 1.24 that have been keeping me
Ric> from upgrading to 2.X.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Chuck

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 15:27:28 -0400

----------
> time to investigate it further.

I noticed it right away because I wasn't  setting 'style "*" color' to
anything and all of a sudden my icon titles were hard to see.

> currently doesn't (actually, it should probably do that regardless).

I think  announcing that it is  running without a config   is good.  I
still think  fvwm administrators should start fvwm2  with a  shell and
create a default  config if the user   doesn't have one.  Without  the
shell,  you still can't upgrade from  version to version without a lot
of problems.

> Really?  It's not much contrast, but still very readable for me.

I had a feeling it was partly my terminal, although I have a large Sun
terminal with good resolution, I doubt that colors are consistent from
terminal to terminal.

> your system (particularily the latter, which I like only slightly less

The "wheat" looks good and the "lightgrey"  looks better.  If I get to
vote for white, wheat and lightgrey, I vote for lightgrey.

---

From: John Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 16:23:24 -0600 (MDT)

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but...

I have changed the "execl" (in exec_function() in builtins.c) to "execlp",
so that it would search $PATH instead of requiring me to specify the
entire path.  I did this after upgrading to fvwm2 because many of my
menu items broke.

Is there a reason why execl is used instead of execlp?
If not, I suggest the following patch:

~John Williams
 (Linux 1.2.13 / XFree86 3.1.2D)

--- builtins.old        Tue Apr 16 10:31:36 1996
+++ builtins.c  Tue Apr 16 10:32:00 1996
@@ -661,7 +661,7 @@
   /* Not everyone has vfork! */
   if (!(fork())) /* child process */
   {
-    if (execl(exec_shell_name, exec_shell_name, "-c", cmd, NULL)==-1)
+    if (execlp(exec_shell_name, exec_shell_name, "-c", cmd, NULL)==-1)
     {
       fvwm_msg(ERR,"exec_function","execl failed (%s)",strerror(errno));
       exit(100);

---

From: Peter Funk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 08:02:47 +0200 (MESZ)

ch> Also, I'm contemplating pulling out a lot of the icons into a separate
ch> tar file, and leaving just some "essential" ones (which would be the
ch> only ones that the sample rc file would use).  I might do the same
ch> thing with some of the modules.  I haven't decided yet on either, and
ch> I'm open to any compelling arguements for one way or the other.

I don't think that it's worth the effort.  A zipped tar file of 600
kB is not very large nowadays.  Many other freeware packages suffer
from much more bloat.  May be someone will decide to contribute a 
mini-fvwm package for small systems (notebooks), if the need arises.

Regards, Peter
Just my $0.02.
--
Peter Funk, Oldenburger Str.86, D-27777 Ganderkesee, Germany
office: +49 421 2041925 (ArtCom GmbH, Grazer Str.8, D-28359 Bremen)
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 96 00:40 BST

At the moment, fvwm reports errors by calling fvwm_err(). This put the
message out on stderr, where it will usually get lost lying in
~/.xsession-errors.

How about sending the text of the error message to an
'FvwmErrorDelivery' module, which could pop up a window containing the
text. Alternatively, if an FvwmConsole is open, then the errors should
probably go there.

What do people think ?

Austin

---

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 19:48:54 -0400

>>>>>  Han Solo, with all his glory, protested:
>>>>> "All perform backflips at the words of the mighty Austin Donnelly!"

    Austin> At the moment, fvwm reports errors by calling
    Austin> fvwm_err(). This put the message out on stderr, where it
    Austin> will usually get lost lying in ~/.xsession-errors.

    Austin> How about sending the text of the error message to an
    Austin> 'FvwmErrorDelivery' module, which could pop up a window
    Austin> containing the text. Alternatively, if an FvwmConsole is
    Austin> open, then the errors should probably go there.

Chuck has already given fvwm_err a better interface as fvwm_msg (with
all of the old calls updated), and has already voiced intentions in
the future to allow one to send output to a logfile.

---

From: tim werner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 04:02:46 -0400

>Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 15:01:53 -0400
>From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)

>'lightgrey'

I found a color somewhere, #ffeecc, that is a lot better than wheat for
a light color.  I tried different greys as a substitue for white, but I
prefer an off-white to grey, but have never found one with a name that I
liked (the color, not the name).  I don't know to what named color
#ffeecc is closest.

tw

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 07:31:35 -0400 (EDT)

Is the "timing bug" fixed with 2.0.42.

I mean the one that gets menus sticking upon selecting them ?

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Mario Dupuis		   Internet : [email-masked]    |
| System Administrator	   Phone    : (514) 855-5001   ext: 1720      |
| Canadair Aerospace Group Fax      : (514) 855-2157		      |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 10:48:54 -0400

----------
>           not there already), to eliminate extra processes

I don't  link this one at  all, (the non-explicit exec).  Previously I
had a number of Execs in my .fvwm2rc like this:

+  "a&udiotool - Sound Editor" Exec cd /u/dane/audio;nice audiotool&

Now, they get run as:

/bin/ksh -c exec cd /u/dane/audio;nice audiotool&

With the   result that only  the  "cd" runs,  the second  command just
disappears.

Since it is easy enough to do:

+  "a&udiotool - Sound Editor" Exec exec nice audiotool&

I recommend leaving "exec" up to the user, with  a possible doc change
to   explain the  efficiency   gained.  Meanwhile, I   am removing the
explicit exec from my copy and continuing testing.

---

From: Romano Giannetti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 19:14:39 +0200 (MET DST)

> liked (the color, not the name).  I don't know to what named color

Work for pixy!! 

(0)sirio% pixy --verbose all.xpm ll.xpm >/dev/null
Weights: xy-z(hc-v)= 0.50: 0.50
Subs:   8:          #ffeecc with     BlanchedAlmond (dist      4.256)
Subs:   1:            white with              white (dist      0.000)
pixy: calling "sxpm -nod - -o -"
(1)sirio% pixy --verbose --rgb 1:1:1 all.xpm ll.xpm > /dev/null 
Weights: r-g-b= 0.33: 0.33: 0.33
Subs:   8:          #ffeecc with     BlanchedAlmond (dist      0.436)
Subs:   1:            white with              white (dist      0.000)
pixy: calling "sxpm -nod - -o -"  

so: BlanchedAlmond, either in hvc and in rgb distances. And really near, 
I would say.
Bye,
	Romano.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Romano Giannetti     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione 
Researcher               Elettronica Informatica Telecomunicazioni
[email-masked]      University of Pisa
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 13:23:11 -0400

>>>>> "Dan" == Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

Dan> ----------
>> not there already), to eliminate extra processes

Dan> I don't  link this one at  all, (the non-explicit exec).  Previously I
Dan> had a number of Execs in my .fvwm2rc like this:

Dan> +  "a&udiotool - Sound Editor" Exec cd /u/dane/audio;nice audiotool&

Dan> Now, they get run as:

Dan> /bin/ksh -c exec cd /u/dane/audio;nice audiotool&

Dan> With the   result that only  the  "cd" runs,  the second  command just
Dan> disappears.

Dan> Since it is easy enough to do:

Dan> +  "a&udiotool - Sound Editor" Exec exec nice audiotool&

Dan> I recommend leaving "exec" up to the user, with  a possible doc change
Dan> to   explain the  efficiency   gained.  Meanwhile, I   am removing the
Dan> explicit exec from my copy and continuing testing.

I just didn't think the extra 'exec's looked good in the rc file.
Seemed a bit redundant.

I'll most likely remove that addition for the next release.

Chuck

---

From: "Jeff S. Elam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 12:55:10 -0700

I have the same problem with the new FvwmButtons that Justin has.  It starts up
the Swallowed modules, but then does nothing.  I see no error messages
anywhere and there's no "FvwmButtons" process running, according to "ps".
I've sent emails to the mailing list about this problem before, when Jarl first
released his new "FvwmButtons", and never got any response.

Thinking it might be something in my configuration, I tried the sample
configuration straight out of the new Fvwmbuttons.man man page.  It did the
exact same thing.  It started the FvwmPager, and then did nothing.

With all the neat new features I've been hearing about, I'd really like to
try out the new FvwmButtons.  I hope someone can help me figure out this
problem soon....

-- 
-Jeff E.
[email-masked]

---

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 16:33:11 -0400

>>>>>  Gumbi, with all his skill, protested:
>>>>> "All pray at the words of the human Mario Dupuis!"

    Mario> Is the "timing bug" fixed with 2.0.42.  I mean the one that
    Mario> gets menus sticking upon selecting them ?

I am not sure if it is related, but I am experiencing the "sticky"
windows, where periodically if you raise another window by the title
bar it somehow becomes a Move with the mouse button up.

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 16:47:30 -0400

>>>>> "Justin" == Justin Zaglio <[email-masked]> writes:

Justin> Hi, all!
Justin> I've been using .41 for a while now and everything's great.  I
Justin> downloaded .42 today and compiled it; no problems there.  The problem
Justin> is the 'new and improved FvwmButtons' module.  I can't seem to get it
Justin> to do _anything_, let alone what it was doing before.  FvwmButtons is
Justin> in the Init and Restart functions, and I rewrote the *FvwmButtons
Justin> stuff to conform to (I think) the new format.  The relevant lines are
Justin> included below.  All they do now is start up the Pager in the lower rh
Justin> corner of the screen.  I get no errors in .xsession-errors, no
Justin> disk-thrashing, nothing.  Can someone take a look at this, or perhaps
Justin> confirm that something might be wrong (doubtful, it's probably me
Justin> doing something stupid)?

I don't see anything right off the bat, but I do have another
question.  Is it truly doing nothing, or do the non-swallow related
buttons (like the ones that pop up xterms) appear ok and work or does
no window appear at all (except for the unswallowed items normal
windows, like Jeff below)?

Does an ultra simple button definition work (like 1 button)?

>>>>> "Jeff" == Jeff S Elam <[email-masked]> writes:

Jeff> I have the same problem with the new FvwmButtons that Justin
Jeff> has.  It starts up the Swallowed modules, but then does nothing.
Jeff> I see no error messages anywhere and there's no "FvwmButtons"
Jeff> process running, according to "ps".  I've sent emails to the
Jeff> mailing list about this problem before, when Jarl first released
Jeff> his new "FvwmButtons", and never got any response.

Jeff> Thinking it might be something in my configuration, I tried the
Jeff> sample configuration straight out of the new Fvwmbuttons.man man
Jeff> page.  It did the exact same thing.  It started the FvwmPager,
Jeff> and then did nothing.

What platform are you both running under?

Jeff> With all the neat new features I've been hearing about, I'd
Jeff> really like to try out the new FvwmButtons.  I hope someone can
Jeff> help me figure out this problem soon....

Both of you (and anyone else having problems w/ Jarl's new
FvwmButtons) please try compiling it w/ the debug info on (see
FvwmButtons.h) and see if it tells anything.  The output will go to
your .xerrors (or .xsession-errors) file.  Sift through it and see if
it says anything that doesn't look quite right.

Chuck

---

From: Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 17:27:32 -0400

For what it's worth, I reported a but to Jarl after downloading the
latest version at his site.  I assume that's what's in 2.0.42, but
haven't had time to upgrade to that just yet due to other problems
keeping me away from fun stuff.  Anyway, I found that if I specified
*FvwmButtonsFont None, it would dump core.  I don't know if would
happen with a different font spec or if I specified the font in a
container.  I just removed the line and it works OK for me now.  I
figured out where it was dumping with gdb but haven't yet had time to
come up with a fix.  Unfortunately I don't remember any details other
than it was an attempted NULL dereference.  Anyway, if you've got a
*FvwmButtonsFont line, try removing it and see if you get any further.

Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: "Jeff S. Elam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 15:24:40 -0700

Well, to answer Chuck's questions:

1) Even a simple 1-button definition doesn't work.  Nothing appears.
2) I'm running on a SUN Sparcstation2 with SunOS 4.1.3_U1

I compiled FvwmButtons with the Debug options turned on AND the -g flag.
After a few failed invocations I noticed a core file in my home directory.
Here's the stack from that file:

(dbx) where
xpmParseColors() at 0x174c8
xpmParseDataAndCreate() at 0x1517c
XpmCreateImageFromData() at 0x11d5c
PleaseAllocColor(color = 0xf7fff430), line 1139 in
"/home/jselam/fvwm/fvwm2.0/modules/FvwmButtons/FvwmButtons.c"
GetColor(name = 0x227c0 "Black"), line 1229 in
"/home/jselam/fvwm/fvwm2.0/modules/FvwmButtons/FvwmButtons.c"
RecursiveLoadData(b = 0x21d80, maxx = 0xf7fff568, maxy = 0xf7fff564), line 817
in "/home/jselam/fvwm/fvwm2.0/modules/FvwmButtons/FvwmButtons.c"
main(argc = 6, argv = 0xf7fff5f4), line 439 in
"/home/jselam/fvwm/fvwm2.0/modules/FvwmButtons/FvwmButtons.c"

This reminded me of earlier complaints on the mailing list about
incompatibilities between FvwmButtons and certain versions of libXpm.  I'm
using version 3.4h.  It so happens I have a copy of 3.4a lying around, so
I used that instead, and voila!  It works.

Apparently there's still some incompatibility in there.  Unfortunately, I
don't have the time to narrow it down any further.  Hopefully Jarl or someone
else can use this information to find the problem.

-- 
-Jeff E.
[email-masked]

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 96 00:22:31 EDT

That's odd, because I'm using Xpm 3.4h with FVWM 2.0.42 and it works
fine... (SunOS 4.1.3_U1, X11R6.1)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 Senior Software Engineer                                   Bay Networks, Inc.
-----------------------------------------------==<http://www.baynetworks.com/>-
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     These are my opinions--Bay Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Justin Zaglio <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Apr 1996 01:30:38 -0400

>>>>> "jeff" == "Jeff S Elam" <[email-masked]> writes:

    jeff> Well, to answer Chuck's questions: 1) Even a simple 1-button
    jeff> definition doesn't work.  Nothing appears.  2) I'm running
    jeff> on a SUN Sparcstation2 with SunOS 4.1.3_U1

    jeff> This reminded me of earlier complaints on the mailing list
    jeff> about incompatibilities between FvwmButtons and certain
    jeff> versions of libXpm.  I'm using version 3.4h.  It so happens
    jeff> I have a copy of 3.4a lying around, so I used that instead,
    jeff> and voila!  It works.

Thank you!!!!!!!!  I had forgotten about this weirdness (probably
because I never experienced it before).  My problems with the new
FvwmButtons were under Linux, X11R6 (XFree86 3.1.2), ELF, and 3.4*h*
of libXpm.  I hunted around and found a 3.4c, recompiled everything
(to be safe)...{drum roll} and it works!!!!!  (much grinning here)

This doesn't explain, of course, why .41 works fine with 3.4h, but for
now at least I have .42 and the new 'Buttons working.  Ah, well,
something more to add to the TODO list?

->justin

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 09:17:23 -0400

>>>>> "Dave" == Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]> writes:

Dave> For what it's worth, I reported a but to Jarl after downloading the
Dave> latest version at his site.  I assume that's what's in 2.0.42, but
Dave> haven't had time to upgrade to that just yet due to other problems
Dave> keeping me away from fun stuff.

It is, but it has some minor fixes in there for AIX.

Dave> Anyway, I found that if I specified *FvwmButtonsFont None, it
Dave> would dump core.  I don't know if would happen with a different
Dave> font spec or if I specified the font in a container.  I just
Dave> removed the line and it works OK for me now.  I figured out
Dave> where it was dumping with gdb but haven't yet had time to come
Dave> up with a fix.  Unfortunately I don't remember any details other
Dave> than it was an attempted NULL dereference.  Anyway, if you've
Dave> got a *FvwmButtonsFont line, try removing it and see if you get
Dave> any further.

I'll try and run Purify on it (or more likely, Checker for Linux) and
see if I can find this and any other problems like that.

Chuck

---

From: "Michael J. Carter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 08:27:16 -0600 (MDT)

>>>>> "Justin" == Justin Zaglio <[email-masked]> writes:

    Justin> This doesn't explain, of course, why .41 works fine with
    Justin> 3.4h, but for now at least I have .42 and the new 'Buttons
    Justin> working.  Ah, well, something more to add to the TODO
    Justin> list?

I'm running fvwm-2.0.42 with xpm3.4h on a sunos4.1.4/X11R6/gcc-2.7.0
with no problems with FvwmButtons.

Michael J. Carter              | Please ignore previous fortune.
[email-masked]               |
Space Data Systems (NIS-3)     |
Los Alamos National Laboratory |
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].