Subject: FVWM: Icons / Icon Colors (was Re: Splitting the Fvwm Package)

From: "eli (e.) burke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 11:21:00 -0400

>  ch> Also, I'm contemplating pulling out a lot of the icons into a separate
>  ch> tar file, and leaving just some "essential" ones (which would be the
>  ch> only ones that the sample rc file would use).  I might do the same
>  
>  I don't think that it's worth the effort.  A zipped tar file of 600
>  kB is not very large nowadays.  Many other freeware packages suffer

	This brings up several points I wanted to discuss. First of all,
the icons subdirectory is a real mish-mash of pixmaps. k.xpm and k2.xpm
are two PICTURES of somebody's kid. Not exactly useful as icons. Also,
there are a number of duplicate icons (rbomb, bomb; rterm, xterm) and 
xpms that I don't think should be in there (doom*,xboing,xjewel,etc).
	I'm in the midst of integrating all of the semi-useful icons from
the fvwm distribution with my own collection, which is currently broken up
into 5 directories: mini, small, medium, large, and misc. mini has all the
14x14 xpms, small has the 32x32s, medium has 48x48, and large has 64x64.
misc gets all of the leftovers, mostly 32x48 (?!).
	Does anyone want to argue for saving the 16x16 xpms? My thought
is that 14x14 works for menus and buttons, 32x32 works in FvwmButtons,
and the larger xpms are suitable for icons. 
	Chuck -- if I do this, do you want to replace the current icons
directory with it? It looks as though the result will still be smaller
than the existing icons distribution.

	Also, I took a look at the mini.* pixmaps last night. README.mini
says they use a total of 14 colors. This is no longer the case, but it
could easily be. I looked through them all, and there are 10 common colors:
blue, cyan, magenta, red, orange, yellow, green, black, gray, and white
and 17 uncommon colors. I can EASILY fix the files to use the same set
of colors, but I'd like to add a FEW more to the set of 10 common colors.
What I need to know is how many.
	Is 14 colors good? Should that INCLUDE black and white? Do people
care what I do? :-) I definatly want to add 2 more shades of gray, but I
haven't decided which. I'd also like gold (between yellow and orange),
a darker green, a better shade of red, and another blue.
	Adding those brings the total color set to 16, 14 w/o black & white.
I think this would bring the mini pixmaps back into line with the original
intention of a unified colorset. And, at least 11 of the colors (maybe more)
match colors mentioned in colormap.xpm
	And finally, I plan to clean up some of the uglier pictures in
an effort to make them look nicer. Originally, I thought that pixmaps in
menus and buttons would be silly, but they have the potential to look 
really good, if the pixmaps themselves look good.
	I guess that what I want to know is whether there is any sort of
legacy associated with the pixmaps in the icons directory that says they
shouldn't change?

	In case anyone is curious, the oddball files are:
mini.blah.xpm, mini.cut.xpm, mini.iconify.xpm, mini.maximize.xpm 
mini.destroy.xpm, mini.letter.xpm, mini.netscape.xpm,mini.refresh.xpm
mini.resize.xpm, mini.xpaint.xpm, mini.xterm.xpm
	They all use one or more of the following colors:
navy, lavendar, sienna, gold, yellow2, red2, red4, blue4, lightblue
gray40, gray47, gray50, gray63, lightgray, dimgray, darkgreen, firebrick
	and could easily be changed to use sanctioned colors.

--
Eli Burke
[email-masked]
http://csugrad.cs.vt.edu/~eburke/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].