Subject: FVWM: TitleStyle Flat

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 96 18:19 BST

For the TODO list:

  Could TitleStyle Flat make the buttons look flat too, otherwise they
  look silly :)

Austin
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: David Kennedy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 18:27:44 +0100 (BST)

Aw, no! I *like* that silly look!

David Kennedy, Dept. of Pure & Applied Physics, Queen's University of Belfast
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Email: [email-masked] | URL: http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~dcjk/

---

From: Grant Beattie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 20:02:01 +1000 (EST)

>   Could TitleStyle Flat make the buttons look flat too, otherwise they

I never got TitleStyle Flat to work. :-(

Where do you use it, exactly?

I had it as:

Style "xterm" TitleStyle Flat

- didn't seem to do much. :(

-<*>-   Grant Beattie - http://www.cbl.com.au/~gb/   -<*>-
-                  Mariah is my Hero and                 -
-                will Always Be My Baby...               -
-<*>-                                                -<*>-

---

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 12:08:21 -0400

>>>>>  Donald Duck, with all his skill, divulged:
>>>>> "All perform backflips at the words of the bewildering Austin Donnelly!"

    Austin> For the TODO list:

    Austin>   Could TitleStyle Flat make the buttons look flat too,
    Austin> otherwise they look silly :)

But then there wouldn't be any visual feedback when the button is
depressed on some buttons.  Might it be better on a per-button
basis?

Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
http://www.rpi.edu/~veliaa
Finger for PGP Key
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Todd Tyrone Fries <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 15:14:51 -0600 (MDT)

> depressed on some buttons.  Might it be better on a per-button

Pixmaps, if specified with fullpixmaps, on buttons do give no visual
feedback when they are the only button there.

Would it be worth it to 'sink' these pixmaps upon a press or not?

-- 
Todd Fries

---

From: Todd Tyrone Fries <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 15:22:04 -0600 (MDT)

> Style "xterm" TitleStyle Flat

Try:

TitleStyle Flat

it is a 'global' style, f you will, not a per-window one.

I imagine it will be per-window WHEN we get around to 2.2.x and Chuck
(or someone else) adds the ability to have more style bits.

---

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 17:43:58 -0400

>>>>>  Data, with all his courtesy, divulged:
>>>>> "All perform backflips at the words of the bewildering Todd Tyrone Fries!"

    >>  But then there wouldn't be any visual feedback when the button
    >> is depressed on some buttons.  Might it be better on a
    >> per-button basis?

    Todd> Pixmaps, if specified with fullpixmaps, on buttons do give
    Todd> no visual feedback when they are the only button there.

    Todd> Would it be worth it to 'sink' these pixmaps upon a press or
    Todd> not?

I think the ability to do so is already present and is sufficient,
IMHO.  If you wish to use the full pixmap option, you might as well
specify a second pixmap as well with your own sink (this was the
original intention).

If you want the relief border as well, you can use the pixmap instead.
Of course, if one does not want visual feedback, the option is also
there.

---

From: Grant Beattie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 16:24:14 +1000 (EST)

> depressed on some buttons.  Might it be better on a per-button

Perhaps - Maybe they could behave in the way that the titlebar does when 
you use TitleStyle Sunken, ie. It gets raised when you click it :)

---

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 11:57:24 -0400

>>>>>  Gumbi, with all his hair, shouted:
>>>>> "All bow at the words of the skillful Grant Beattie!"

    Grant> Perhaps - Maybe they could behave in the way that the
    Grant> titlebar does when you use TitleStyle Sunken, ie. It gets
    Grant> raised when you click it :)

Maybe you are suggesting that similar options be available for the
titlebar buttons as well.  This is somewhat understandable, and might
be a good idea.  I'm in a bind this and next week, but I want to get
Charles some code optimizations and reductions first and see what he
thinks.  BTW, it would be fairly easy to add as you suggest.  The only
part is to reduce the number of needed style types to a minimum.

There could be an added button style or a few, which after the code
reduction should only incur a marginal code increase.  However, the new
styles would have to be chosen carefully, and it might be best that it
is tested as a patch against 2.0.42 first so we can get feedback.

Regarding the maximize problem, the code says if MWMButtons is
specified than only the rightmost button gets reversed polarity when
maximized.  An additional method might be to have extra style flag
bits for buttons (which would not increase structure size).  What
comes to mind is to assign preferred buttons a button style flag of
MWMButton, which will act so on windows which have the MWMButtons
style flag.

The maximize problem would need to be worked on first.  It is due to
only a few lines of code, and I am going to suggest a solution to this
(which also adds flexibility) Charles about this and see what he
thinks (he is working on something also).  It involves using added
style flags for the button, while not increasing code size (--
actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Chuck has already done something
like this :).  My god, I'm needlessly rambling again, sorry!