Subject: FVWM: Active Placement

From: Dan Niles <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 09:33:25 -0500

When a new window is placed, focus is given to it.  I would like to be able
to disable this feature for some/all windows.  Is there any way to do it
now?  If not, can it be added?

Dan Niles
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 10:43:56 -0400

>>>>> "Dan" == Dan Niles <[email-masked]> writes:

Dan> When a new window is placed, focus is given to it.  I would like
Dan> to be able to disable this feature for some/all windows.  Is
Dan> there any way to do it now?  If not, can it be added?

It's on my TO-DO list:

  - Add NeverFocus style?  Better - make sure fvwm handles all 4 focus
    states from the ICCCM (I don't think it handles a certain one of
    them correctly) and then make style parms to make fvwm able to
    treat windows like they are any one of these styles, even if the
    programs didn't set themselves up that way....

The 4 types are:

  No Input - won't ever get focus
  Passive  - won't get focus initially, but can get it later
  Locally Active  - can get focus initially, and get it later
  Globally Active - can get focus, but won't take it away
                    from other windows later (used for scrollbars,
                    etc)

Not the greatest translation of the ICCCM, but it'll do in a pinch.
Fvwm handles No Input (unless Lenience set), Locally Active, and
Globally Active just fine I believe, but I don't think that Passive
does.  So, I'd like to make it handle that, and then add a way to make
fvwm treat windows as being No Input or Passive via Style directives.

Chuck