Subject: FVWM: windows drifting south east each run (2.try)

From: Peter Funk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 10:12:19 +0200 (MESZ)

Last tuesday I wrote :
pf> Jeff S. Elam wrote:
pf> [...about windows changing their location from run to run...]
[...]
pf> je> Clarify stores the location of its windows in the database when
pf> je> you exit, and uses that information to know where to bring up the
pf> je> windows next time.  
[...]
pf> I've some applications, which store the window locations from previous
pf> invocations in the same manner.  Whenever such an application program
pf> creates a window using the x,y-coordinates remembered from the previous
pf> run, the new window is moved right and down about the framewidth
pf> resp. framewidth + titlebar height.  This does not happen with mwm,
pf> SGIs 4Dwm or Solaris ol(v)wms.

pf> fvwm seems to use the x,y-coordinates delivered to XCreateWindow for
pf> upper left corner of the frame window and not the pane window as 
pf> other window managers happen to do.  So the pane window get's 
pf> increased x,y coordinates for each new run of the application.

I've another question about this topic:
What would be the best and cleanest way for an application program
to determine the amount of window drift caused by the window manager ?
Since I am able to modify the application, I would like to try to avoid 
the drifting behaviuour described above using corrected 'x', 'y' values
in 'XCreateWindow'.

Regards, Peter
-=-=-
Peter Funk, Oldenburger Str.86, D-27777 Ganderkesee, Germany
office: +49 421 2041925 (ArtCom GmbH, Grazer Str.8, D-28359 Bremen)
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].