Subject: Re: "Re: FVWM: focus and pointer"

From: Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 08:41:40 -0700 (MST)

Forwarded message:
> From [email-masked]  Fri Apr 19 03:34:03 1996
> Sender: [email-masked]
> To: Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
> 
>   Brady> Try FvwmIconMan. Comes with 2.0.42 now. I modeled it on the
>   Brady> twm icon manager.
> 
> I have 2.0.42.  I use FvwmIconMan.  While I like it a lot, there's one
> behavior that it doesn't have:  When you put the mouse pointer in the
> IconMan, on any specific window, that window doesn't have focus.  With
> *twm window managers you can tell it that if the mouse pointer is on a
> window in the icon manager that window gets focus.
> 
> To reiterate Eli's problem.  AFAIK, there is NO WAY in fvwm to get all
> of the following simultaneously:
>   - FocusFollowsMouse
>   - Binding something to a key to Focus a window _without moving the
>     mouse away from where it was when the key was pressed_.
> 
> Maybe we should introduce into Fvwm a distinction between Focus (only
> change focus, do no move mouse pointer at all) and Warp (move the
> mouse pointer into a window, optionally giving that window focus, too).
> 

Let me try to rephrase the points I have poorly made:

1. I dearly wish that fvwm would decouple focus and warping.
2. I know at least three people, including myself, who have written patches
   to fvwm to do this.
3. If you use my patch, which is included with FvwmIconMan, you get the 
   exact icon manager behavior it seems that you want. On the setup I use,
   windows having focus are displayed differently in the manager, and by
   moving my cursor around in the manager, I can change the focus of the 
   managed windows. No warping or raising. In addition, you could use my patch
   and not use my icon manager at all. No biggie.

Three additional points:

4. I really don't like keeping this patch up to date.
5. I would like to discuss with somebody who understands the internals of fvwm
   better that I how important this restriction that only windows on the
   current desk can have focus. I get the impression that we have about 5
   people here who are waiting for somebody else to do this. Let's write
   ourselves some code.
6. I don't want Chuck Hines to get the impression that I am harping on him.
   The guy does have a job after all, in addition to trying to keep all
   of us happy.

[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 11:55:35 -0400

>>>>> "BM" == Brady Montz <[email-masked]> writes:

BM> Let me try to rephrase the points I have poorly made:

BM> 1. I dearly wish that fvwm would decouple focus and warping.
BM> 2. I know at least three people, including myself, who have written patches
BM>    to fvwm to do this.

I know... I just haven't had a chance to evaluate them yet.  Or
rather, it wasn't high on my priority list, since I use ClickToFocus
(gasp!).

BM> 3. If you use my patch, which is included with FvwmIconMan, you get the
BM>    exact icon manager behavior it seems that you want. On the
BM>    setup I use, windows having focus are displayed differently in
BM>    the manager, and by moving my cursor around in the manager, I
BM>    can change the focus of the managed windows. No warping or
BM>    raising. In addition, you could use my patch and not use my
BM>    icon manager at all. No biggie.

BM> Three additional points:

BM> 4. I really don't like keeping this patch up to date.

Understandable.

BM> 5. I would like to discuss with somebody who understands the
BM>    internals of fvwm better that I how important this restriction
BM>    that only windows on the current desk can have focus. I get the
BM>    impression that we have about 5 people here who are waiting for
BM>    somebody else to do this. Let's write ourselves some code.

I've never really though about it since taking it over, probably
because I normally only use one desktop.

BM> 6. I don't want Chuck Hines to get the impression that I am
BM>    harping on him.  The guy does have a job after all, in addition
BM>    to trying to keep all of us happy.

And I appreciate the consideration, especially since I may be somewhat
silent for the remainder of the day (having already spent way too much
time answering mail today).

BTW - I don't feel that you're harping on me, yet. ;^)

So, I concede that the warping should be decoupled from the focus
function, and I will do my best to remember to take care of it somehow
(via some variant of one of those patches) for the next beta release.

Chuck

---

From: Grant Beattie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 14:15:05 +1000 (EST)

> rather, it wasn't high on my priority list, since I use ClickToFocus

One question - what is "warping"?

-<*>-   Grant Beattie - http://www.cbl.com.au/~gb/   -<*>-
-                  Mariah is my Hero and                 -
-                will Always Be My Baby...               -
-<*>-                                                -<*>-

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Apr 1996 11:00:53 +0200

>>>>> On Sun, 21 Apr 1996 14:15:05 +1000 (EST), Grant Beattie
>>>>> <[email-masked]> said:

  Grant> One question - what is "warping"?

Warping is moving the mouse pointer by software control (ie without
the phyical pointing device acutally being moved).  Warping is
extensively done by OpenLook style programs.  Fvwm also does some
warping (with the Focus function, for instance, or if you choose a
window from WinList).

kai
--
There ain't no cure for the summertime blues.