Subject: FVWM: Problem when iconifying+desiconifying an Xemacs frame

From: [email-masked] (David SEGONDS)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 16:31:03 +0200

Hello,

        I currently have a problem due to an interaction between
Xemacs 19-13 and fvwm-2.0.42. If I iconify and then de-iconify an
Xemacs frame, the frame in question becomes unusable: I can't type in
it but I can still open a new frame.

        I've read something about this in BUGS. Is it a bug from fvwm2
or from xemacs 19.13? Is there a solution to go around this problem
except by avoiding the iconification?

        Thank you for your help.

        Amicalement. David.

--
* Pessimist: Can't get any worse... Optimist: It can, it can! (Unknown Author)
David SEGONDS - [email-masked] - http://www.ensg.u-nancy.fr/~segonds
                Tel:33-1-47527131 - fax:33-1-47527022
 IFP - DIMA - 1,4 Rue du bois Preau - 92506 Rueil Malmaison - France
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 10:47:23 -0400

>>>>> "David" == David SEGONDS <[email-masked]> writes:

David> Hello,
David>         I currently have a problem due to an interaction between
David> Xemacs 19-13 and fvwm-2.0.42. If I iconify and then de-iconify an
David> Xemacs frame, the frame in question becomes unusable: I can't type in
David> it but I can still open a new frame.

David>         I've read something about this in BUGS. Is it a bug from fvwm2
David> or from xemacs 19.13? Is there a solution to go around this problem
David> except by avoiding the iconification?

I don't know what is causing this bug, since I also use XEmacs and
don't see it myself under Linux or AIX.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're
  [email-masked],              just havin' a nightmare--of course,
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    we are still in Hell." Gary Larson
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Toshi Isogai <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 10:35:03 -0600 (MDT)

> except by avoiding the iconification?

I have the same behavior with xemacs 19.13 and fvwm2 2.0.42, except
it happens when I restart. And it doesn't happen every time.

When it happened the last time, iconify and de-iconify worked and went
back everything normal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Toshi Isogai   磯貝利明

-- I am an ASIC engineer, not a sick engineer --

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

---

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 13:16:54 -0400

>>>>>  Luke Skywalker, with all his power, wrought:
>>>>> "All perform backflips at the words of the android Charles Hines!"

>>>>> "David" == David SEGONDS <[email-masked]> writes:
    David> I've read something about this in BUGS. Is it a bug from
    David> fvwm2 or from xemacs 19.13? Is there a solution to go
    David> around this problem except by avoiding the iconification?

    Charles> I don't know what is causing this bug, since I also use
    Charles> XEmacs and don't see it myself under Linux or AIX.

Works fine here on Linux 1.3.90, AIX 3.2 and SunOS 4.1.1 (!) (XEmacs
19.13) also.  Only peeve (which might be able to be fixed by the RC)
is that if I Ctrl-Z for some reason (e.g. accidently) then all of the
windows restore to the same page on the same desktop (which were
initially on different pages and desktops; annoying, but not a problem
for me).

PC sellers are Bill collectors.
Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
http://www.rpi.edu/~veliaa
Finger for PGP Key
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (David SEGONDS)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 11:19:42 +0200

Hello,

        I'm working on SGI. 

        Before using fvwm2, I had a bug with Xemacs-19.13 under Vue
(HP-UX) and 4Dwm (SGI). This bug diseappeared with fvwm2. It was a
redraw problem on vm.
        
        So, I'm now suspecting a bug in Xemacs more than in fvwm but
it's only pure speculation since I'm unable to debug fvwm nor
xemacs. :-)

        David. 

--
* PC sellers are Bill collectors. (Andrew Veliath)

---

From: Dave Sill <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Apr 1996 13:32:10 GMT

>        I'm working on SGI. 

Me too, and I'm not seeing that problem. I'm using 2.0.39.