Subject: FVWM: Icons disappearing

From: Dan Niles <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 13:50:17 -0500

When I restart fvwm (using Restart) some of my icons disappear.  To get them
back I have to move to another virtual page (with FvwmPager) and then go to
the first page again.

Bug or feature?

(fvwm 2.0.42)

Dan Niles
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Jeff S. Elam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 12:31:25 -0700

> back I have to move to another virtual page (with FvwmPager) and then go to

I've had a similar problem in the past where anytime I start or restart fvwm
some of my icons would go to 0,0 before they pop into the proper position.
If there's a window at 0,0 covering them, they don't move into place until
they're exposed.

Perhaps that's where your icons went?

-- 
-Jeff E.
[email-masked]

---

From: Dan Niles <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 09:15:30 -0500

> Perhaps that's where your icons went?

Yup, that is it!  It seems to be related to the problem the other person had
with thier icon box not working.  It seems that fvwm2 always put icons at 0,0
until something happens.  I have an app that I start iconified at a specific
location.  It starts at 0,0 until I expose it.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 10:34:17 -0400

----------
> location.  It starts at 0,0 until I expose it.

I guess that  explains what I  observed.  I start "cm" (Sun's calendar
manager) iconified.   During a restart it gets  stuck  at 0,0 unless I
click on   it.   Putting an    icon-title on  the icon    "fixes"  it.
Ie. something has to happen to an iconified  window in order for it to
take its correct position  during  start or restart, including  things
like putting a title on the icon.

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Jeff S. Elam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 08:25:04 -0700

When I first switched to fvwm2, the first app that I ran into this problem
with was also "cm".  Coincidence, huh?

I worked around it by letting fvwm place the icon instead of
specifying an icon position to the program.  That is, if you always want your
icon in the same place, try removing the command-line parameters (-WP or
something like that) that tell cm where to put its icon, and create an
IconBox just for cm that's barely big enough to hold the icon.

That "fixed" the problem for me.