Subject: Re: "Re: FVWM: focus and pointer"

From: Wes Hodges <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 16:47:58 -0400

eli (e.) burke wrote:
> 
>         Unfortunately, there are three problems:
> a) I use FocusFollowsMouse
> b) I use SloppyFocus
> c) This doesn't solve my problem, and has nothing to do at ALL with what
>    I'm moaning and groaning about. This should help you understand the
>    problem. Click your third mouse to bring up WinList. Select an xterm
>    window off the list. Notice how the mouse cursor jumps to the top
>    left corner of the window? That is the behavior I don't like. But
>    PLEASE don't tell me I can change it by giving arguements to Focus.
>    I don't want to move the mouse cursor around inside the window. I
>    want the mouse cursor to STAY WHERE IT IS ON THE SCREEN!!! :-)
>

I am not sure how this would work to your benefit.
Unless when you select a xterm in winlist you do not want the window
to obtain focus.

ex.
You select a window to go to form the winlist.
The desktop changes, your mouse stays where it is at.
When the desktop changes the xterm gets focus.
But if you have another window under the mouse after
you changed desktops, then that window will get the focus.
Simply because you use FocusFollowsMouse, and SloppyFocus.

I don't see how you can achieve what you want without changing
the placement of the mouse.

However, I am using the fvwm95 manager and when I select from the
Winlist it works exactly how you want.  But I use ClickToFocus.

Guess you have to live with one to get the other. :)

-- 
Wes Hodges - [email-masked]
Picture Network International 
703-807-2731
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brian Wellington <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 18:08:54 -0400 (EDT)

> the placement of the mouse.

Ever used TVTWM?  With the Icon Manager (like FvwmWinList, except better),
you move the mouse over a button representing the window, and that window
receives focus.  The pointer doesn't warp, it just reassigns focus.  The
focus will then be on the new window until the pointer crosses another
window boundary, where it will switch to that new window.  However, you
could just leave the mouse on the Icon Manager and switch focus that way. 
I've been using Fvwm95 for a couple days, and FvwmTaskBar looks like a
really good replacement for the Icon Manager, but without a way to Focus
without warping the mouse, it's impossible (and no, using ClickToFocus is
not an option). 

I wrote a new FVWM command, FocusOnly, which simply focuses the given
window, and doesn't warp the pointer, raise it, iconify it, or do anything
else.   I can send a patch if anyone wants to see it.

Brian