Subject: FVWM: Imakefile inconsistancies

From: "eli (e.) burke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 17:36:00 -0400

I've been trying to compile fvwm 2.0.41 under hp-ux this afternoon, and
have had nothing but problems. I have access to a X11R5 and Imake and all,
but the systemwide Imake.tmpl sets HasGcc to no, and uses cc +0 instead of
gcc -O (even though WAY more people only have gcc instead of cc at our site).

After wading through Imakefiles/Makefiles all afternoon, I started fresh
and added the following lines to Fvwm.tmpl, hopeing to override ALL
CC and CFLAGS with these: 
#define FvwmOptions -O1
#define FvwmCompiler gcc
and further down:
#ifdef FvwmOptions
        CFLAGS = FvwmOptions
#endif

When I run xmkmf, MakeMakefiles, and make, I get a mixed bag. Some files 
compile properly, others don't. 
#1: Works in this case, and when I set FvwmOptions to have -L and -I flags
gcc -O1   -c CatString3.c -o CatString3.o
#2: Fails unless I set -L and -I
gcc -O1   -c GetFont.c -o GetFont.o
#3: Also fails, but works if I set FvwmOptions to have -L and -I flags
gcc -c -O1 -DFVWM_ICONDIR=\"/usr/include/X11R5/X11/bitmaps\:/usr/include/X11R5/X11/pixmaps\" -DFVWMDIR=\"/usr/lib/X11R5/X11/fvwm2\" -DFVWMRC=\".fvwm2rc\" builtins.c
#3: Fails either way because it has the +O1, set by (I think) CDEBUGFLAGS,
    BUT it has the libraries and include files
gcc -o FvwmAudio FvwmAudio.o +O1   -L/usr/lib/X11R5 -L/usr/lib/Motif1.2 -L/bnr/contrib/X11R5/lib/1 -L/usr/lib/X11R5 -L../../libs -lfvwm2 -L/bnr/contrib/lib/1 -lXpm -lV3  -lXext  -lX11   

I don't mind the fact that I had to hack around to get this figured out,
but unless I'm being really stupid about something, there is no easy 
DOCUMENTED way to set things like the compiler and cflags in one place,
and editing _24_ Imakefile_s is not really something I want to do.

Am I missing something obvious?!?

-Eli

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 10:13:58 +0100

> Date:  Mon, 8 Apr 1996 17:36:00 -0400 
> From: "eli (e.) burke" <[email-masked]>
> 

...snip...

> Am I missing something obvious?!?

Configuring the compiler and flags is supposed to part of the imake
configuration on your system, not part of fvwm. In fact, that is the
whole point of the imake scheme, that the application does *not* need to
specify system-dependent things.

The `correct' place to specify compiler and flags is in the site.def
file in the imake configuration directory. Set this up once, and then
all you have to do for any X application is `xmkmf; make; make install
install.man'.  [Well in theory, at least ;)].

Mark

-- 
Mark Powell, Senior Software Engineer <[email-masked]>
Primagraphics Limited, Graphics Court, Melbourn Science Park,
Melbourn, Royston, Herts SG8 6EJ, England. Tel. +44 1763 262041
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "eli (e.) burke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 09:52:00 -0400

> whole point of the imake scheme, that the application does *not* need to

	Right.. my problem is that whoever set things up on my system 
should be executed for being a moron. I still think that my point was
valid, however, because some of the modules were compiled with CFLAGS,
some with CDEBUGFLAGS, some had FVWMLIBS included, some only included
LIBS, and so on..
	At any rate, I took 2.0.41 home and compiled it under Ultrix
and it worked PERFECTLY. Much improved from older versions-- I had to
change two lines (paths to xpm stuff) and then the rest was automatic.
	One small problem I did notice with the fvwm_convert script in
the utils directory: under Ultrix, it needed to run /bin/sh5, and there
is no /dev/stderr, so I changed those lines to /dev/console. I think it
might be nice to stick some comments in the header of the script to that
effect.
	And finally, I've gone through the sample .fvwm2rc file, changed
it to my liking, reorganized all of the various options into sections, 
and commented almost everything. This is for friends who can't be bothered
to read documentation, but it might be a useful replacement for the
system.fvwmrc. Shall I send it to the list or upload it somewhere?

-Eli

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 10:42:34 -0400

>>>>> "e" == e  <eli> writes:

e>      And finally, I've gone through the sample .fvwm2rc file, changed
e> it to my liking, reorganized all of the various options into sections,
e> and commented almost everything. This is for friends who can't be bothered
e> to read documentation, but it might be a useful replacement for the
e> system.fvwmrc. Shall I send it to the list or upload it somewhere?

I did this locally for 1.xx for similiar reasons, and I was planning
to do this myself for this next release (or the one after) so I'd like
to see it.  I could definitely use it as a starting point, if not
verbaitim.  Please mail it to me.

Thanks,
Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're
  [email-masked],              just havin' a nightmare--of course,
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    we are still in Hell." Gary Larson
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].