Subject: FVWM: stickiness

From: steve farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 22:58:47 CDT

although a lover of fvwm, i find the following feature/bug INCREDIBLY
IRRITATING:  about 25% of the time, when i click on the window frame,
it "sticks" to my mouse cursor, and i need to click again to "unstick"
it.  i find this as frustrating as if i had glue on my fingers and
sometimes pieces of paper would stick to my fingers when i moved them
around my desk.  it makes me batty!  any solutions (short of tossing my
favorite window manager) appreciated.

Fvwm Version 2.0.41 compiled on Mar 24 1996 at 23:44:10
(same with 2.0.40 - haven't messed with 1.2x in a while)

(XFree86 3.1.2/ S3 server/ Linux 1.3.84)

thanks! -- steve farrell 
(btw - i'm not on the mailing list so please make sure you cc: me
personally <[email-masked]>)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Romano Giannetti <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 17:07:08 +0200 (MET DST)

> favorite window manager) appreciated.

Yes, I think it is a known bug, and the principal one of the current 
release. Is a timing problem, I think (well, so I interpreted Chuck 
answers to the problem, and the mention to it in TO-DO file, where 
noticing the way Click vs DoubleClick vs Motion is calculated). Is there 
anything going on on it? Well, I noticed that the problem is worst when
machine is quite loaded, so it could be that someone using a HP PA risc 
with 64Mbyte of ram never notice it. But here, with a little 486/66, 16M 
of ram, is really a problem. And if I remember well, fvwm1.24 did _not_ 
have it. 

And more. It is related with the other bugs that make cursor transform on 
dot and being "blocked" until a click, especially when using titlebar 
menus and whe transient windows popping up? 

is this one of the 15 out 30 things added ti the new beta release :-))? 

Keep on the good work,
			Romano.

PS: I really like fvwm2. I think this bug (or these two, if they are 
distinct) are the only thing that need to be worked out before the 
public release. 

------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Romano Giannetti     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione 
Researcher               Elettronica Informatica Telecomunicazioni
[email-masked]      University of Pisa
------------------------------------------------------------------