Subject: FVWM: [2.0.42] new Exec functionality

From: Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 14:34:11 -0700 (MST)

Forwarded message:
> From [email-masked]  Thu Apr 18 14:18:22 1996
> Date: Thu, 18 Apr 96 17:15:46 EDT
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
> 
> I'd like to talk about the new Exec feature Chuck added where the "exec"
> and "&" aren't necessary any more.
> 
> I know one person posted saying a command he used to use didn't work any
> more under the new style, and Chuck said he was going to remove the
> feature.
> 
> I'd like to discuss this further, first: I _LIKE_ the enhancement, and I
> really hope we keep it.

I agree. It is nice. It would be nice to keep it. But I gotta be able to 
run compound commands.

Instead of having Exec parse the string, maybe we should just have to versions
of Exec. Exec which does the implicit exec, and Run which doesn't. I don't
much like the idea of trying to figure out from the command whether an exec
is possible. First off, you don't know if people are using Exec to send
commands to a real shell. They might be sending stuff something else for all
we know. Secondly, it could get tricky to get right, and trickier to explain
to somebody when it doesn't work. Adding a new command seems simpler, and
might even involve adding less code to fvwm.

bradym
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].