Subject: FVWM: Compiling fvwm 2.0.42

From: "Marc A. Volovic" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 10:50:01 +0300 (IDT)

Hello,

I've encountered a peculiar problem in compiling and running fvwm 2.0.42:

For some reason, setPixmapPath (PixmapPath directive) does NOT get compiled
into the code (even though XPM _is_ defined) and, as a result, fvwm
reports that "PixmapPath - no such module" or words to that effect.

Xpmroot runs perfectly, enabling setPixmapPath in builtins.c by hand allws
the thing to compile and run WITHOUT the error - but PixmapPath is 
ignored and no XPM icons are available. This is NOT a tragedy, but has
anyone seen such a problem?

Thanks in advance,

Marc
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 09:52:14 -0400

>>>>> "Marc" == Marc A Volovic <[email-masked]> writes:

Marc> Hello,

Marc> I've encountered a peculiar problem in compiling and running
Marc> fvwm 2.0.42:

Marc> For some reason, setPixmapPath (PixmapPath directive) does NOT
Marc> get compiled into the code (even though XPM _is_ defined) and,
Marc> as a result, fvwm reports that "PixmapPath - no such module" or
Marc> words to that effect.

Marc> Xpmroot runs perfectly, enabling setPixmapPath in builtins.c by
Marc> hand allws the thing to compile and run WITHOUT the error - but
Marc> PixmapPath is ignored and no XPM icons are available. This is
Marc> NOT a tragedy, but has anyone seen such a problem?

Several people have reported problems like this, although they weren't
claiming to be defining XPM...

So, what I'm guessing that you are setting FvwmCompiler and
FvwmCompilerFlags, correct?  If so, it's probably my screwup w/
FvwmCompilerFlags that is causing problems here.

Change this in Fvwm.tmpl:

#ifdef FvwmCompilerFlags
        CFLAGS = FvwmCompilerFlags
#endif

which may be causing -Ddefines to be lost, to:

#ifdef FvwmCompilerFlags
        CDEBUGFLAGS = FvwmCompilerFlags
#endif

then remake the makefiles & rebuild and see if that works better.

Chuck

---

From: Clive Messer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 17:13:05 +0100 (BST)

> then remake the makefiles & rebuild and see if that works better.

Yes, thats exactly the problem.
I posted the following to the list but for some reason it never made it
out ?????

If FvwmCompiler flags is defined in Fvwm.tmpl. ie.

#define FvwmCompilerFlags -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -m486

then later in Fvwm.tmpl .....

#ifdef FvwmCompilerFlags

overrides the CFLAGS def in the xmkmf generated Makefiles ....

CFLAGS = $(CDEBUGFLAGS) $(CCOPTIONS) $(THREADS_CFLAGS) $(ALLDEFINES)
                                                      
and consequently because 

ALLDEFINES = $(ALLINCLUDES) $(STD_DEFINES) $(EXTRA_DEFINES) \
$(PROTO_DEFINES) $(THREADS_DEFINES) $(DEFINES)

and

DEFINES = $(OPTION_DEFINES) $(XPM_DEFINES) $(AUDIO_DEFINES)

the necessary defs and includes are not included/defined.

Fvwm.tmpl should change to ...

#ifdef FvwmCompilerFlags

--- Fvwm.tmpl-old       Thu Apr 25 12:11:51 1996
+++ Fvwm.tmpl   Thu Apr 25 12:12:25 1996
@@ -249,7 +249,7 @@
         CC = FvwmCompiler
 #endif
 #ifdef FvwmCompilerFlags
-        CFLAGS = FvwmCompilerFlags
+        CDEBUGFLAGS = FvwmCompilerFlags
 #endif

 #ifdef FvwmBinDir
@@ -301,7 +301,7 @@
 #endif /* HPArchitecture */
 #endif /* AlphaArchitecture */

-  FVWM_LIBS = -L$(FVWM_SRCDIR)/libs -l$(LIB) $(XPM_LIBRARIES) $(KLUDGE_LIBS)
+  FVWM_LIBS = $(FVWM_SRCDIR)/libs/lib$(LIB).a $(XPM_LIBRARIES) $(KLUDGE_LIBS)
 FVWM_DEPLIB = $(FVWM_SRCDIR)/libs/lib$(LIB).a

     DEFINES = $(OPTION_DEFINES) $(XPM_DEFINES) $(AUDIO_DEFINES)

Clive.
-- 
C Messer. Epos Systems. UK.  |
<[email-masked]>     |   "I pressed her thigh and death smiled."
<[email-masked]>   |    Jim Morrison.