Subject: Re: FVWM: Small enhancement to Read: Read "| command" (fwd)

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 10:32:33 -0400

>>>>> "Jacques" == Jacques Gelinas <[email-masked]> writes:

Jacques> Hello!

Howdy.

Jacques> I have posted a very small enhancement to fvwm2 few days ago
Jacques> without any comment at all.

I recall.  I didn't comment because I've been pretty busy lately, and
I've been trying to avoid the list a little.  I apologize (to you and
everyone else), but real work must take priority...

Jacques> This little enhancement open the door to many things such as
Jacques> dynamic reconfiguration of menus for one. As the subject
Jacques> goes, a simple patch (included) allows the "Read" command to
Jacques> read from pipe doing a popen(). You will find the patch and a
Jacques> description of the usage.

Jacques> Hope to hear from you even if you don't like the idea. Maybe
Jacques> this can be accomplished differently.

Actually, it's not a bad idea, but I might change it slightly, like
changing the character from "|" to "<".

And I'll probably include the 'reread' script as well.

Thanks,
Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're
  [email-masked],              just havin' a nightmare--of course,
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    we are still in Hell." Gary Larson
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Matthew Jackson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 13:36:59 +1000 (EST)

I have noticed a problem with the menus specified in .fvwmrc (I've got
the rename fvwm2 bit turned off). It looks as if this was a change from
2.0.41 to 2.0.42

Here are two lines from my .fvwmrc under my Utilities menu:

+                       "Emacs"         Exec exec emacs &
+                       "Emacs"         Exec  exec emacs &

The first line pulls up emacs as expected, the second one does nothing.
Note the two spaces between Exec and exec on the second line.

Has anyone else noticed this ?

-- 
Matthew Jackson                            [email-masked]
NBL Tipping Competition - mail [email-masked]
Basketball Mailing list - mail [email-masked]
both with a subject "subscribe".
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 09:26:37 -0400

>>>>> "MJ" == Matthew Jackson <[email-masked]> writes:

MJ> I have noticed a problem with the menus specified in .fvwmrc (I've got
MJ> the rename fvwm2 bit turned off). It looks as if this was a change from
MJ> 2.0.41 to 2.0.42

MJ> Here are two lines from my .fvwmrc under my Utilities menu:

MJ> +                       "Emacs"         Exec exec emacs &
MJ> +                       "Emacs"         Exec  exec emacs &

MJ> The first line pulls up emacs as expected, the second one does nothing.
MJ> Note the two spaces between Exec and exec on the second line.

MJ> Has anyone else noticed this ?

Hm.  Another problem w/ me automatically putting the exec in there...
Apparently execess whitespace isn't stripped there, so it's sticking
an extra 'exec' in to the invocation, which is why it's not working.

I really have to either back out that exec change I made, or come up
w/ a better way to handle it for the next release.

Chuck