Subject: Re: FVWM: 1.24r -> 2.0.42 upgrade woes

From: "Brian E. Gallew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 11:24:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 23 Apr 1996 10:23:39 -0400 [email-masked] wrote:

"BAW" == Barry A Warsaw <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> BAW> Finally, I have a dual-headed SparcStation, so I tried starting
> BAW> up fvwm version 1 with the -s option, on :0.0.  Then I tried to
> BAW> start up fvwm2 with -d :0.1 -s but it complained that another WM
> BAW> was running.  Once I use -s, how can I get another window manager
> BAW> on my second screen?
> 
> Unfortunately I don't have access to any multiple display systems, so
> I can't test this out...  As I recall though, I think Rob said that
> the multiple screen code was lacking some..
> 
> What happens if you don't use the -s?  Does that work - does fvwm2
> control both screens?
> 
> And I think that someone else out there on the list has done this
> before.  Does anyone have any advice/experience/etc with this?

I, too, have a dual-headed SPARCStation, and fvwm handles both 
displays for me just fine.  The secret is: *don't* use the -s, unless 
you want to do something screwey (like run fvwm on one and olwm on 
the other).  fvwm correctly detects/handles multiple displays without 
user intervention.

One thing you may want to consider, is that on a dual-headed system, 
getting the most out of fvwm really requires m4/cpp preprocessing, 
since you'll want different configurations on each display. 

+==========================================================+
| Please do not shoot at the thermonucler weapons! -Deacon |
+==========================================================+
| Finger [email-masked] for my public key.                   |
+==========================================================+

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Barry A. Warsaw" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 17:43:23 -0400

>>>>> "BEG" == Brian E Gallew <[email-masked]> writes:

    BEG> I, too, have a dual-headed SPARCStation, and fvwm handles
    BEG> both displays for me just fine.  The secret is: *don't* use
    BEG> the -s, unless you want to do something screwey (like run
    BEG> fvwm on one and olwm on the other).  fvwm correctly
    BEG> detects/handles multiple displays without user intervention.

Actually, I want to do something screwy like start fvwm individually
on both screens! :-)  Because...

    BEG> One thing you may want to consider, is that on a dual-headed
    BEG> system, getting the most out of fvwm really requires m4/cpp
    BEG> preprocessing, since you'll want different configurations on
    BEG> each display.

...I usually want the same configuration on both screens, except when
playing around.  So I haven't taken the time to set up preproc'ing on
my init file... ;-)

-Barry