Subject: FVWM: Can't get iconbox to work properly

From: [email-masked] (Amir J. Katz)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 96 11:14:50 IDT

Hi,
I've just started using fvwm2 and so far, it behaves pretty much the
same as fvwm 1.x, but one thing bugs me - I can't get the 
icons to be placed on the bottom, left to right, as I'm used to with
fvwm 1.24.

In my old fvwm file (.fvwmrc) I have this, which works:

  IconBox   5 -64 -140 -5

So I put this in .fvwm2rc:

   Style "*"  DecorateTransient,IconBox 5 -64 -140 -5

But I still get the icons in the top left in one desktop and on the
top right on another. Is fvwm2 trying to avoid placing the icons on
any window? If so, can this behavior be overridden?

Thanks,
     Amir

BTW, my configuration is:
fvwm  2.0.42 with the title-bar-icon patch
xpm   3.4h
SunOS 4.1.4
MIT   X11R5

/* Amir J. Katz  E-mail: [email-masked]   WWW: http://www.ddddf.com */
/* New Dimension Software, LTD., Tel-Aviv, Israel                   */
/* .. I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but         ..*/
/* .. my lawyer thinks he can get me five.        (Steven Wright) ..*/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 10:21:11 -0400

>>>>> "Amir" == Amir J Katz <[email-masked]> writes:

Amir> Hi,
Amir> I've just started using fvwm2 and so far, it behaves pretty much the
Amir> same as fvwm 1.x, but one thing bugs me - I can't get the
Amir> icons to be placed on the bottom, left to right, as I'm used to with
Amir> fvwm 1.24.

Amir> In my old fvwm file (.fvwmrc) I have this, which works:

Amir>   IconBox   5 -64 -140 -5

Amir> So I put this in .fvwm2rc:

Amir>    Style "*"  DecorateTransient,IconBox 5 -64 -140 -5

Amir> But I still get the icons in the top left in one desktop and on the
Amir> top right on another. Is fvwm2 trying to avoid placing the icons on
Amir> any window? If so, can this behavior be overridden?

Amir> Thanks,
Amir>      Amir

Amir> BTW, my configuration is:
Amir> fvwm  2.0.42 with the title-bar-icon patch
Amir> xpm   3.4h
Amir> SunOS 4.1.4
Amir> MIT   X11R5

Amir> I've complained earlier that I can't make fvwm 2 place the icons in
Amir> the bottom left corener of my screen. To add insult to injury, after
Amir> I manullay moved the icons to where I want them, restarting fvwm
Amir> causes them to revert to the top-left corner of the screen, all of
Amir> them on the same spot.
Amir> Help !!!! (:-)

I dropped your style line into FvwmTalk and recaptured the windows and
it worked just fine.

Do you have an iconGeometry resource set up in your .Xdefaults?  That
might explain this behavior.

Chuck