Subject: FVWM: trouble with xpm

From: Juri Pakaste <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Apr 1996 21:15:17 +0300

(I have a Linux/ELF system). I'm having trouble with getting fvwm
2.0.4[12] (I upgraded my system just recently, so I haven't tried any
of the earlier betas with it) to work with pixmaps. I have defined
"HasXpm YES" in Fvwm.tmpl and get no errors while
building. The xpm library seems to be linked into the binary:

20:49:35 ~>ldd /usr/X11/bin/fvwm2 
        libXpm.so.4 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4.7
        libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6.0
        libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.0
        libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5.2.18

However, there are no icons on screen (well, no pixmaps; bitmaps work
fine), no pixmaps in FvwmButtons and no pixmaps in titlebar buttons. The
xpmroot program that is built at the same time works just fine, and so do
all other programs that use pixmaps. I have tried both relying on
PixmapPath and using full pathnames.

Oh, and when I put into the menu definitions a line like this: 
+		"Xterm*xterm.xpm*" Exec /usr/bin/X11/xterm -r -aw -rw +sb
-sl 500 -j -ls -fn 7x14 &
The entry shows as "Xterm*xterm.xpm*" (without the quotation marks). I'm
not sure if this is related to the other problem.

So, what am I doing wrong?

-- 
// Juri Pakaste
// [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Juri Pakaste <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Apr 1996 08:47:57 +0300

> building. The xpm library seems to be linked into the binary:

Oh well, these things happen when you're a bit too tired; I forgot to
mention that it actually complains about having no Xpm support.

---

From: [email-masked] (John Henders)
Date: 28 Apr 1996 17:08:54 -0700

>mention that it actually complains about having no Xpm support.

If you do in fact have an ELF libXpm, do you have libXpm.so symlinked to
it? Does fvwm compile? If these are true, you may be running into the
problem I had, which is that fvwm seems to work with a limited number of
libXpm versions out there. I found that the latest ones of the 3.4
series don't work correctly, and earlier versions have a memory
allocation bug that shows up if you try to load a large xpm onto the
background with xpmroot. The only version I managed to work with that
has neither of these problems is Xpm3.4c, which I only found as aout for
Linux, and it was set up to create the old aout shared libraries.
However, it is trivial to compile your own shared libraries with ELF,
just read the ELF howto. I used 4.7 as a version number because 3.4
seems to have been used for the aout versions. All works well now, as
far as I can see.

-- 
      Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.
                GAT d- -p+(--) c++++ l++ u++ t- m--- W--- !v
                     b+++ e* s-/+ n-(?) h++ f+g+ w+++ y*

---

From: Juri Pakaste <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Apr 1996 17:33:36 +0300

> it? Does fvwm compile? If these are true, you may be running into the

Yes and yes. In fact, I recompiled fvwm and the problems have
disappeared. I have no idea at all why it didn't work the first time
but works now. The first time I compiled it I made a debian package
out of it, but I can't see how it could have caused the strange
behaviour. The default debian packaging script calls make with the
option LDFLAGS=-s, but the fvwm makefile doesn't use a variable called
LDFLAGS. So AFAIK that shouldn't cause any problems. (Well, I don't
know it the -s option would be a problem, as the explanation on the
manpage doesn't tell me much.)

But at least fvwm works now, so I'm not complaining :).