Subject: FVWM: Put windows on a certain desk upon startup

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Apr 1996 08:26:28 +0200

Dear all,

I have a .xsession file which starts a number of clients.  I would
like the client Netscape, for example, to start on desk "WWW".  I know
that I could add "StartsOnDesk WWW" to the Netscape style, but that
means that Fvwm (2.0.41) switches to that desk permanently so that
subsequent clients will appear on that desk as well.

Using Ctwm, I was able to add something like StartsOnDesk to the rc
file and it didn't really switch desks, it just put the newly
appearing client there.

I would be happy with a function that I call from a menu that selects
the next (also the only) Netscape window and moves it to another desk.

I'll be grateful for any and all ideas you might have,
kai
--
There ain't no cure for the summertime blues.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Apr 1996 16:51:20 +0200

>>>>> On 12 Apr 1996 08:26:28 +0200, Kai Grossjohann
>>>>> <[email-masked]> said:

  Kai> I have a .xsession file which starts a number of clients.  I
  Kai> would like the client Netscape, for example, to start on desk
  Kai> "WWW".  I know that I could add "StartsOnDesk WWW" to the
  Kai> Netscape style, but that means that Fvwm (2.0.41) switches to
  Kai> that desk permanently so that subsequent clients will appear on
  Kai> that desk as well.

Hi everybody,

thanks to Chuck, my problem is solved.  I'm getting to like Fvwm even
better (is that possible?) now.  The solution is to use SkipMapping
which does exactly what I want: when a window is mapped that
StartsOnDesk somewhere, the current desk isn't changed any longer.

Please excuse me for not explaining my problem clearly enough.
Several people responded with the suggestion of placing useful Wait
(or something) statements in the InitFunction.  I didn't want to use
InitFunction, though, because I'd like to have the same clients
started no matter which window manager I use.  (Is contemplating using
something else Blasphemy?;-)

I'm assured that SkipMapping will actually be documented in a future
release.  The current (2.0.41) release of the man page sez that it's
there but not what it does.

kai

---

From: Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 11:36:46 -0400

In addition to the StartsOnDesk style, use the SkipMapping style and,
if you've got a pager going you'll see the tiny window appear but you
dont' get switched to it.

Example from my .fvwm2rc:

Style "Netscape" StartsOnDesk 2, SkipMapping

Skipmapping (and it's inverse Showmapping) have been around a long
time, but I think it only made it to the man page recently but the man
page doesn't really describe it.

May I suggest an addition to the man page (under the Style section):

  SkipMapping causes new windows that do not start on the current desk
  (by way of a StartsOnDesk or "-xrm *Desk: foo" directive) to not be
  mapped until that desk is visited.  This prevents switching to that
  desk when the window is opened.  If SkipMapping is set as a default
  then ShowMapping can turn it off for specific windows.

Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 96 12:19:25 EDT

Well, conisdering the flurry of activity on the list today, I just 
thought I'd put in my 0.02$ worth. 

As some of you may know, a version of XFree86 has been released for 
OS/2. The code is considered ALPHA, but has in fact proven to be 
quite stable. It can be found at the usual XFree ftp site and 
at its mirrors. You can also check out
http://borneo.gmd.de/~veit/os2/xf86os2.html
for the latest info and list of bugs, ports of X apps to OS/2 etc.

I did some porting work on fvwm2, the main problem was getting the 
pipe connection to modules to work. The more interesting modules
work, and fvwm2 seems to work quite well. Hopefully I can clean up
the patches and send them to Chuck for inclusion in the standard
distribution. 

You can find fvwm2 at:
http://aix1.uottawa.ca/~s521936/xf86ports.html

The feedback I have received has been very positive. Again, congrads on a 
great window manager!

Below is the original announcement I made on the XFreeOS2 mailing list:

________________________________________________________________

Version 2.0.41 of the fvwm window manager is now available. This new
version includes support for modules, and includes a few of the more
interesting modules, such as:

FvwmPager: virtual workspaces and virtual screen support.
FvwmButtons: Button bars, can also "swallow" other windows.
FvwmTalk: provides interactive interface to fvwm

and a few other modules. Note that with the above modules, the
customization options are nearly endless..... 

It is available at the following address:

http://aix1.uottawa.ca/~s521936/xf86ports.html

A few notes on this release:

- The XPM library is REQUIRED. Check out Holger Veit's page to get it.

- The fvwm version 2 code is still somewhat in flux (fvwm2 is still
beta). Expect updates to fvwm, especially for the modules. 

- Following the convention set by the fvwm developpers, the new
version is called "fvwm2.exe" to avoid any name clash with the old
version. Note also that the configuration file is called ".fvwm2rc"
and is located in /xfree86/lib/X11/fvwm2
You should look through this and customize to your taste. 

- The archive includes a collection of pixmaps. 

_____________________________
Sebastien Marineau
Mechanical Engineering
University of Ottawa
[email-masked]
[email-masked]