From: "AMGANESH.US.ORACLE.COM" <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Apr 96 12:15:05 -0700

I switched to fvwm. And the system (Sun Sparc 10) seems to be overloaded by 
the window manager related processes... Do you know if there is a fix to this? 
If the GoodStuff comes at such a heavy price (75% of CPU time) I would rather 
not have it... 
 
Thanks in advance, 
Amit 
------------------ Trace from TOP ------------------------- 
ast pid: 12624;  load averages:  5.28,  5.22,  5.27                   12:13:06 
104 processes: 95 sleeping, 6 running, 2 zombie, 1 on cpu 
Cpu states:  0.0% idle, 77.7% user, 22.3% kernel,  0.0% iowait,  0.0% swap 
Memory: 76M real, 1136K free, 93M swap, 82M free swap 
  
  PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE   TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND 
11297 amganesh  26    0 1652K  700K run   920:05 20.30% 26.09% GoodStuff 
12582 amganesh  27    0 1652K 1056K run    23:22 22.45% 24.70% GoodStuff 
11424 amganesh  27    0 1652K  700K run    18.4H 21.67% 23.72% GoodStuff 
10833 amganesh  34    0   11M 5040K sleep 330:00 15.62% 16.01% Xsun 

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 15:44:40 -0400

>>>>> "Amit" == AMGANESH US ORACLE COM <[email-masked]> writes:

Amit> I switched to fvwm. And the system (Sun Sparc 10) seems to be
Amit> overloaded by the window manager related processes... Do you
Amit> know if there is a fix to this?  If the GoodStuff comes at such
Amit> a heavy price (75% of CPU time) I would rather not have it...

It shouldn't be taking more than a few percent of the CPU at any given
moment.  Something odd must be going on there.  Are you really running
3 of them at once, or have they just locked up so you started another
one, etc.

A simple fix - kill those processes and don't run the GoodStuff
toolbar again.  It's nice and all, but not necessary.

Also, what version are you running?  I know it's 1.xx, but is it the
last of the released versions (1.24r) or a much earlier version?  I'd
recommend trying 1.24r if you're currently trying an earlier version,
or if you are feeling brave you could try the latest 2.xx beta
version...  (see http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/)

Other than that, it could be a bug in your compiler (or just the way
it was comiled), X libs, etc.  Basically, I'm not sure what the
problem is.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're
  [email-masked],              just havin' a nightmare--of course,
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    we are still in Hell." Gary Larson
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].