Subject: FVWM: Sun keys (open, close, cut, paste) FVWM 1.24

From: Brad Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 15:18:58 -0700

Hello all,

I've had trouble mapping any of the "special" function keys on the Sun
keyboard.  I'm using a type 4 keyboard.  I looked in the man page,
which told me to look at the/usr/include/X11/xkeysymdef.h file.  We
don't have anything like that in the system, though there are two
XKeysymDB files floating around.  My environment points to the the
/usr/local/netscape one.  The other one looks like something that came
with OpenWindows.  Anyhow, I've had absolutely no luck with guessing
the names of the keys.  I tried putting this in my .fvwmrc file:

Key open		A N	Iconify
Key	SunXK_Open	A N	Iconify
Key	SunOpen		A N	Iconify
Key	XK_Open		A N	Iconify
Key OSF_open 	A N Iconify
Key Open		A N Iconify

No dice with any of them.  Any ideas?  I'm using fvwm 1.24 and 
SunOS 4.1.3.

P.S.  If I can get these last things working, I think the entire
department will be switching from OpenWin to fvwm.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Andrew Donkin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 12:02:05 +1200

Hi; Brad Smith <[email-masked]> said:

|I looked in the man page, which told me to look at
|the/usr/include/X11/xkeysymdef.h file.

Try "/usr/openwin/include/X11/keysymdef.h" (yippee for SunOS 4).

|Key open		A N	Iconify
|Key	SunXK_Open	A N	Iconify
|Key	SunOpen		A N	Iconify
|Key	XK_Open		A N	Iconify
|Key OSF_open 	A N Iconify
|Key Open		A N Iconify

A good way to find out which keysyms you're generating is to run "xev" (not
shipped with our Openwindows - you may have to build it).  Press the key's
you're interested in, and "xev" will tell you what their keysyms are.

|P.S.  If I can get these last things working, I think the entire
|department will be switching from OpenWin to fvwm.

We've just switched ours.  Good riddance Openwindows...

===========================================================================
Andrew Donkin, UNIX admin, Sch. of CompSci&Math, Waikato Univ,  New Zealand
Email:[email-masked] HTTP://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ard/ PGP:0x0B0F9FE5
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Andrew J Cosgriff <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Apr 1996 10:20:52 +1000

bs> I've had trouble mapping any of the "special" function keys on the Sun
bs> keyboard.  I'm using a type 4 keyboard.

I'm using a type 5, but this ought to work.

# Props
Key L3          A       C       Module FvwmTalk
Key L3          R       N       Module FvwmTalk
# Front
Key L5          A       N       RaiseLower
# Close
Key L7          A       N       Iconify
# Find
Key L9          A       C       Module FindWin
Key L9          R       N       Module FindWin

# Pause/Break
Key F21         A       S       Exec "" xlockmore -mode random
Key F21         A       C       Restart /usr/local/share/bin/fvwm
Key F21         A       CM      Quit

Enjoy,
 Andrew.
-- 
 - Andrew J Cosgriff - [email-masked] -          Mobile : +61-14-856-122
 SysAdmin / Support Dude, UNICO Computer Systems    PGP & MIME ok and preferred
    Hey, wait a minute!!  I want a divorce!!..  you're not Clint Eastwood!!

---

From: Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 08:35:24 -0400

> I've had trouble mapping any of the "special" function keys on the
> Sun keyboard.  I'm using a type 4 keyboard.  I looked in the man
> page, which told me to look at the/usr/include/X11/xkeysymdef.h
> file.  [...]

Get the program xkeycaps from ftp.x.org.  Not only will it tell you
what the keysym names are, it will generate appropriate xmodmap code
for you to modify them if necessary.  In fact, you can use it to make
your keyboard match your .fvwm2rc :-)

Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]