Subject: FVWM: How to use more modifiers?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 12:16:19 +1200

I *really* hope this isn't a dozy question...

I have modifiers on my keyboard that I can't make use of in fvwm.  I hate
to admit it, but they have that dreaded wobbly windows icon on them.

They return keysyms "Meta_L" and "Meta_R", and I would like to use them as
modifiers on "Mouse" and "Key" lines in my ".fvwmrc".  The "M" modifier
currently only makes use of the ALT keys (keysyms "Alt_L" and "Alt_R").

>From what I've read of fvwm 2, it doesn't use them either.  I will be
upgrading to fvwm 2 shortly, so please relate any discussion to that.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions -

===========================================================================
Andrew Donkin, UNIX admin, Sch. of CompSci&Math, Waikato Univ,  New Zealand
Email:[email-masked] HTTP://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ard/ PGP:0x0B0F9FE5

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 08:42:24 -0400

Both fvwm 1 and 2 can use more modifiers.  I've been using them since
1.22.  Ensure that the key in question is bound (via xmodmap - but get
xkeycaps from ftp.x.org - you'll be glad you did) to mod2, mod3, mod4
or mod5.  mod1 is typically the Meta key.  Then use the modifier
number in .fvwmrc.  For example, on my Sun keyboard, the "diamond" keys
(left and right) are meta and I've bound the alt and compose keys to
mod2.  In .fvwm2rc I have:

Key Down A 2M Popup "mainmenu"

So when I press the down arrow in combination with Alt (that's the 2)
and the Meta keys I get my menu popup.

Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]