Subject: FVWM: It isn't working. :-)

From: [email-masked] (Matt Hayne)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 12:17:43 +0800 (WST)

Hi, sorry to bother everybody with stupid queries such as this, but I simply
cannot get FVWM 2.0.42 to function properly.  

It _seems_ to compile fine, but when I go to run it - sure it works and all,
but there are no little buttons in the top corners of the windows, there are
no capabilites of changing the window size <it just stays the same>, no pop-up
menus etc.  It's just two rxvt's, the ones I load in my Xsession file with
borders around them.

I'm probably doing something utterly stupid, but I really have experimented 
a lot with no success. <sigh>

If anyone could help such a sad git, please do. :-)

Regards,
Matt.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 08:52:53 -0400

>>>>> "Matt" == Matt Hayne <[email-masked]> writes:

Matt> Hi, sorry to bother everybody with stupid queries such as this,
Matt> but I simply cannot get FVWM 2.0.42 to function properly.

Matt> It _seems_ to compile fine, but when I go to run it - sure it
Matt> works and all, but there are no little buttons in the top
Matt> corners of the windows, there are no capabilites of changing the
Matt> window size <it just stays the same>, no pop-up menus etc.  It's
Matt> just two rxvt's, the ones I load in my Xsession file with
Matt> borders around them.

Matt> I'm probably doing something utterly stupid, but I really have
Matt> experimented a lot with no success. <sigh>

Matt> If anyone could help such a sad git, please do. :-)

Do you have a ~/.fvwm2rc file?  That seems to be a common mistake.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're
  [email-masked],              just havin' a nightmare--of course,
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    we are still in Hell." Gary Larson
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 09:50:22 -0400

>>>>> "CR" == Charles H Romine <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>> [email-masked] said:
>>
CR> Chuck,

CR>     When I read this response to Matt's query, I had to chuckle a
CR> *little* bit.  I assume you meant:

CR> Do you have a ~/.fvwm2rc file?  *Not having one* seems to be a
CR> common mistake.

Ah, I can see how my original statement could seem a little odd. :)
Yours is definitely clearer.

Thanks,
Chuck

---

From: Martin Kraemer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 16:25:50 +0200 (MET DST)

Charles Hines wrote...
> Do you have a ~/.fvwm2rc file?  That seems to be a common mistake.

I stumbled over a different bug yesterday, which could be the reason for
the behavior described by Matt:

After doing "MakeMakefiles && make" on a plain vanilla fvwm-2.0.42, I
ended up with /usr/lib/X11/fvwm2 not being a directory, but a FILE!!!!
This resulted in all undecorated windows and no way to end fvwm.

Apparently, there's a "mkinstalldir" missing for the fvwm2 subdirectory,
and all the "install module/XXX/XXX /usr/lib/X11/fvwm2" commands override
the generated file instead of putting it into the subdirectory.

So have a look at this file/directory and if it's a file, remove it,
create an empty directory and re-"make install".

If this cured the problem, please re-report to the list; others may have
the same problem...

    Martin
________
BTW: fvwm is _supposed to_ have one little root menu in this case,
offering you a single "Builtin Menu" with a selection "Exit FVWM".
Unfortunately, this didn't work in my version (maybe because fvwm didn't
find the color slategrey; can someone check if this works? What does fvwm
show in absence of both $LIBDIR/system.fvwmrc and ~/.fvwm2rc?)

This is the startup code from fvwm.c:
  /* read config file, set up menus, colors, fonts */
  ExecuteFunction("HilightColor black grey",NULL,&Event,C_ROOT,-1);
  ExecuteFunction("XORValue 255",NULL,&Event,C_ROOT,-1);
  ExecuteFunction("MenuStyle black grey grey50 fixed fvwm",
                  NULL,&Event,C_ROOT,-1);
  ExecuteFunction("TitleStyle Centered Raised",NULL,&Event,C_ROOT,-1);
  ExecuteFunction("IconFont fixed", NULL,&Event,C_ROOT,-1);
  ExecuteFunction("WindowFont fixed", NULL,&Event,C_ROOT,-1);

  ExecuteFunction("Style \"*\" Color black/dimgrey, Title, RandomPlacement",
                  NULL,&Event,C_ROOT,-1);
  ExecuteFunction("Style \"*\" SmartPlacement", NULL,&Event,C_ROOT,-1);
  ExecuteFunction("AddToMenu builtin_menu \"Builtin Menu\" Title",
                  NULL,&Event,C_ROOT,-1);
  ExecuteFunction("+ \"Exit FVWM\" Quit",
                  NULL,&Event,C_ROOT,-1);
  ExecuteFunction("Mouse 1 R N Popup builtin_menu", NULL,&Event,C_ROOT,-1);
  DBUG("main","Running config_command...");
  ExecuteFunction(config_command, NULL,&Event,C_ROOT,-1);
  DBUG("main","Done running config_command");
-- 
| S I E M E N S |   [email-masked]   |      Siemens Nixdorf
| ------------- |   Voice: +49-89-636-46021     |  Informationssysteme AG
| N I X D O R F |   FAX:   +49-89-636-44994     |   81730 Munich, Germany
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~My opinions only, of course; pgp key available on request
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Brandon M. Browning" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 10:10:54 -0700 (PDT)

> If this cured the problem, please re-report to the list; others may have

The first time I compiled fvwm2 on the SunOS 4.1.4 box here, I had that
problem.  I thought it was something *I* did (since it was only my second
compile of fvwm, ever).  I manually fixed it after I figured it out.  It
worked on my Linux box because I already had fvwm1.24.  Subsequent
compiles & installs have been flawless -- only the very first failed. 

Perhaps it's time to do a fresh install & see if the above works...

-- Brandon Browning                                                          )
   Powertie Software                                                        (
   http://www.powertie.org/                                                c[]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
To shoot a mime, do you use a silencer?