Subject: Re: FVWM: fvwm 2.0.42 problem with Netscape/Java

From: [email-masked] (Martin Cartwright)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 10:24:58 +0100

Jeff>I have encountered a problem using Netscape 2.01 under fvwm 2.0.42.  
Jeff>Netscape crashes (dumps core) whenever it attempts to execute a Java
Jeff> applet.  An example page is http://www.sun.com/960416/index.java.html.
Jeff>I have observed this behavior under both SunOS 4.1.4 and NetBSD 1.1.

Jeff>If I run twm or tvtwm instead (and that is the only change I make), 
Jeff>Netscape 2.01 executes the Java applets properly.  This problem also 
Jeff>does not seem to occur under fvwm 1.24r (though I have only observed 
Jeff>this to be true under another person's environment).

I've had problems with Netscape/Java pages completely crashing my Xterminal
(the whole ***PANIC*** fatal error scenario :-) ). I was under the 
impression this was just an Xterminal problem but it has only happened under
FVWM (2.0.39 at the moment). Mind you when I wasn't using FVWM, Netscape
2.01 wasn't around so there wasn't any Java around to crash my terminal ;-)

This is a rare problem but still a problem. (Solaris 2.5 if you were wondering)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: RHS Linux User <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 08:32:16 -0500

>>>>> "Martin" == Martin Cartwright <[email-masked]> writes:

    Martin> I've had problems with Netscape/Java pages completely
    Martin> crashing my Xterminal (the whole ***PANIC*** fatal error
    Martin> scenario :-) ). I was under the impression this was just
    Martin> an Xterminal problem but it has only happened under FVWM
    Martin> (2.0.39 at the moment). Mind you when I wasn't using FVWM,

I've had problems with Netscape 2.x crashing my X server, Linux 1.2.13
with fvwm 2.039 on XFree86 3.1.1 (P9000 accelerated server).  No Java
needed.

-- 
Hal DeVore              | PGP Key fingerprint:
BMC Software, Inc.      | EA A3 2F 62 98 38 B0 15  F0 85 76 33 E1 5A 2A 64
Houston, TX  USA        | 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 10:47:13 -0400

>>>>> "RHS" == RHS Linux User <[email-masked]> writes:

RHS> I've had problems with Netscape 2.x crashing my X server, Linux 1.2.13
RHS> with fvwm 2.039 on XFree86 3.1.1 (P9000 accelerated server).  No Java
RHS> needed.

This happens under AIX on PowerPC machines pretty often too.  Netscape
can bring down the Xserver, although I don't know why.  It seems to
happen more often w/ fvwm (but has happened under mwm as well, I
believe), but I think that's because the Netscape window gets mapped
and unmapped more often due to switching pages and desktops.  My
officemate sees this problem a lot.  He thinks it's something with the
scrollbars.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're
  [email-masked],              just havin' a nightmare--of course,
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    we are still in Hell." Gary Larson
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].