Subject: Re: FVWM: Sun keys (open, close, cut, paste) FVWM 1.24

From: Tom Julien <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 19:37:16 -0400

Brad Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

>Hello all,
>
>I've had trouble mapping any of the "special" function keys on the Sun
>keyboard.  I'm using a type 4 keyboard.  I looked in the man page,

The type 4 is an excellent keyboard (layout and feel) -- it's
a real shame everyone is going to the pc layout...

>which told me to look at the/usr/include/X11/xkeysymdef.h file.  We

The default location for this header file under OpenWindows 3.0+
(i.e. Solaris 1.x and 2.x) is /usr/openwin/include/X11/keysymdef.h.
Check the setting of $OPENWINHOME to ensure that your prefix is
indeed /usr/openwin.

>don't have anything like that in the system, though there are two
>XKeysymDB files floating around.  My environment points to the the
>/usr/local/netscape one.  The other one looks like something that came
>with OpenWindows.  Anyhow, I've had absolutely no luck with guessing
>the names of the keys.  I tried putting this in my .fvwmrc file:
>
>Key open		A N	Iconify
>Key	SunXK_Open	A N	Iconify
>Key	SunOpen		A N	Iconify
>Key	XK_Open		A N	Iconify
>Key OSF_open 	A N Iconify
>Key Open		A N Iconify
>
>No dice with any of them.  Any ideas?  I'm using fvwm 1.24 and 
>SunOS 4.1.3.

Ok, just drop the XK_ prefix from the keysym listings in the
above header file and you end up with something like:

Key L5      A   N   RaiseLower
Key L7      A   N   Iconify

which should work for you.  Note the L? designations beneath
the Front and Open labels on your keys.  The osf keysyms are
used for Motif clients (like netscape) so they won't help you
too much here.  ;-)

>P.S.  If I can get these last things working, I think the entire
>department will be switching from OpenWin to fvwm.

A mass exodus from olwm to fvwm, eh?!

/*************************************************************
Thomas J. Julien                      E-Mail: [email-masked]
Engineering Unix Support                 Tel: 407-826-7685
Lockheed Martin Corp, Orlando, FL        Fax: 407-826-1881
*************************************************************/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Grant McDorman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 09:28:04 -0400 (EDT)

>a real shame everyone is going to the pc layout...

Yep. I have a type 5/pc; first thing in my signon is to put the Control key
next to the 'A' key, where God intended it to be. (Sun does - or did - have
a Unix layout of the type 5 keyboard, with the CapsLock under the shift key.
You have to explicitly ask for it, though, from what I understand.)

>
>>which told me to look at the/usr/include/X11/xkeysymdef.h file.  
[chomp chomp...yum]

One problem is that the keysyms assigned to those keys vary depending on
which server you are running.

Under X11R6.1, which I'm currently running, you'll use "SunOpen".
Under X11R5 (and OpenWindows), use "F17". ("L7" is a synonym for "F17".)

The nicest way to find out the keysyms (and other things, as well as change
the keymapping) is xkeycaps by Jamie Zawinsik <[email-masked]>. It can be
found in ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/applications, with the current version
being  xkeycaps-2.29.tar.Z.

The poor man's alternative is xev; run it, put the mouse in the window and
press the key. In part of the voluminous output of xev, there will be the
keysym.

Grant McDorman <[email-masked]>

---

From: "Diana M. Esch-Mosher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 09:19:03 -0600 (MDT)

Grant McDorman writes:

 >  (Sun does - or did - have

  "Does" have it ... Have to ask for type 5/UNIX layout and pay a few
  bucks more. Worth every penny!

-- 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Diana M. Esch-Mosher                     NIS-3, Space Data Systems, MS D440
(505)665-0012 Office   Nonproliferation and International Security Division
(505)665-4197 FAX     Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM  87545

---

From: "Stefan 'Stetson' Skoglund" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 22:00:30 +0200

>>>>> "Grant" == Grant McDorman <[email-masked]> writes:

    Grant> One problem is that the keysyms assigned to those keys vary
    Grant> depending on which server you are running.

    Grant> Under X11R6.1, which I'm currently running, you'll use
    Grant> "SunOpen".  Under X11R5 (and OpenWindows), use "F17". ("L7"
    Grant> is a synonym for "F17".)

Wrong. It is the client's X11 librarary which decideds the names.
Xlib reads its own XKeysymdb then translating keys.

That means that OpenWindows 3.0 (which is X11R4) for example uses
SunXK_Open ,OpenWIndows 3.3 (Solaris 2.4 and X11R5) SunOpen
dito for X11R6 distribution.

Key translation is purely done by the client side.

---

From: Grant McDorman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 16:40:30 -0400 (EDT)

Mode_Switch+Open Key => SunOpen  (Mode_Switch usually assigned to Alt
                                       Graph)
Under R6 and R6.1, it is assigned:
  'SunOpen NoSymbol F17':
    Open Key              => SunOpen
    Shift+Open Key        => SunOpen
    Mode_Switch+Open Key  => F17

Note the difference. When you press the 'Open' key in OpenWindows or 'R5,
the keysym the client gets is F17, or L7. In 'R6, it gets SunOpen or
SunKX_Open (0x1005FF73, if you want the hex code, which is the same in all
implementations). The net result is that a client looking for some variation
of 'Sun*Open' will see it without any modifiers under 'R6, but won't see it
unless Alt Graph is also pressed under OpenWindows or 'R6.

Check the output of 'xmodmap -pk' for more details.

There were a lot of questions when 'R6 came out to the effect of 'why are my
OpenWindows clients broken?'.  This was because the keysym mapping was
changed from 'R5 to 'R6.

				ISG Technologies, Inc.