Subject: FVWM: Getting started with fvwm

From: Michael Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 09:46:56 +0000

Well, after years of devout ctwm-ism, I have decided the time has come
to change to fvwm, so I have gone and got myself a copy of 2.0.41 and
installed it on my linux box (1.3.77).  First impressions are that it is
a much more powerful and flexible window manager than ctwm (though I
don't find the FvwmWinList isn't quite as nice as it's ctwm equivalent).
I am having a few problems though, most noticably restarting the window
manager" doesn't work.

What I'm asking therefore is whether I should persevere with the fvwm2
series or stick to 1 until it is stable.

Cheers

Mike
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Mar 1996 11:45:02 +0100

>>>>> On Mon, 25 Mar 1996 09:46:56 +0000, Michael Smith
>>>>> <[email-masked]> said:

  Mike> Well, after years of devout ctwm-ism, I have decided the time has come
  Mike> to change to fvwm,

I have just done the same two weeks ago!

  Mike> so I have gone and got myself a copy of 2.0.41 and installed
  Mike> it on my linux box (1.3.77).  First impressions are that it is
  Mike> a much more powerful and flexible window manager than ctwm

Hm.  My opinion is that there are some things that ctwm does better,
and that there are some things that fvwm does better.  I would
estimate them to be on par, overall.  Fvwm seems to see active
development, though, whereas ctwm kind of like stagnates, so that
might change.

  Mike> (though I don't find the FvwmWinList isn't quite as nice as
  Mike> it's ctwm equivalent).

I use FvwmIconMan which does a creditable job of emulating the Icon
Manager of twm and friends.

  Mike> I am having a few problems though, most noticably restarting
  Mike> the window manager" doesn't work.

That's just a simple typo in the .fvwm2rc provided:  Search for the
string "Restart fvwm" and replace it with "Restart fvwm2".  This is
the one spot where the renaming didn't seem to work...

  Mike> What I'm asking therefore is whether I should persevere with
  Mike> the fvwm2 series or stick to 1 until it is stable.

I'm happy with 2.

        kai
--
There ain't no cure for the summer time blues.

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 13:46:59 -0500

>>>>> "Kai" == Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]> writes:

Welcome aboard.

Kai> I have just done the same two weeks ago!

That's what we're shooting for, while keeping fvwm as lightweight as
possible.

Kai> Hm.  My opinion is that there are some things that ctwm does
Kai> better, and that there are some things that fvwm does better.

I would have to agree here.

Kai> I would estimate them to be on par, overall.  Fvwm seems to see
Kai> active development, though, whereas ctwm kind of like stagnates,
Kai> so that might change.

I wouldn't say 'stagnates' but rather that ctwm is certainly more
stable than fvwm.

Kai> I use FvwmIconMan which does a creditable job of emulating the Icon
Kai> Manager of twm and friends.

FvwmIconMan will be included in the next release (2.0.42), available
later this week (hopefully).

Kai> That's just a simple typo in the .fvwm2rc provided:  Search for the
Kai> string "Restart fvwm" and replace it with "Restart fvwm2".  This is
Kai> the one spot where the renaming didn't seem to work...

I'm taking care of this little problem for the next release too.  The
included rc file should hopefully be improved a bit.

That's completely up to you.  The latest 2.xx should be good enough
for you to use every day without too many problems (I hope).  I'm
trying to prep it for the first official release of the 2.xx series.

Kai> I'm happy with 2.

Glad to hear that.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're
  [email-masked],              just havin' a nightmare--of course,
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    we are still in Hell." Gary Larson
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].