Subject: FVWM: Retry... still some fvwm problem to signalize for me.

From: Romano Giannetti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 96 16:53:31 MET

I try to send this one a second time. I sent it two weeks ago, but
never showed up in my list... is the list rejecting silently message
sent  from an address different from the one you are subscribed to? 

Hi all. 
Yesterday exiting fvwm I could read this errors in my console
(repeated a lot of times, no idea how much, filled the console buffer):

[FVWM] [FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM] [FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 12, Error 2, EventType: 28

The "more" is that till in this version there is some problem with timed
events.  
   AddToFunc "Move-or-Raise" "I" Raise 
   + "M" Move 
   + "D" RaiseLower
I think this is a known problem, but... for example if you have the 
standard "raise or move" bound to the title bar, and you click, 
wait the right bit, :-) , and hop, the windows got moved even if you 
have released the mouse button and follow you. 

Another one is: if you have set up
   EdgeScroll 100 100
   EdgeResistance 750 50 
   OpaqueMoveSize 40  
and you move a nice solid xterm rapidly from the botton (for exemple)
to the top of screen, stooping mouse on the very top, you can get in a 
situation where your xterm is blocked halfway, and then "jump" to the 
mouse position. But the most surprising thing is that if you release
the mouse when window is blocked, and move it in another part of the
screen, the xterm when start moving "flash" in the mouse position and the
finally go to its right place on top of the screen.

And last, but I suspect it's an interaction with AutoRaise module:
suppose you have like me AutoRaise 2000 and follow mouse focus. Then,
put an xterm window partially overlaying another one , and when you
have your window raised, to the following: 
   Move mouse on the title of the underlying window
   type "exit" and return in it so that you exit just when window
         is raised
   You now have the mouse pointer converted to a dot waiting (I
suppose) raising some target (I suppose because it is not simple to
get the timing right... but it happens now and then). 

Well, fvwm is I think the better WM around the world, fast and nice
looking. I hope this can help to spot the last bugs in it... keep with 
the fantastic work!

Bye,
     Romano.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "N. Dan Zou" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 12:25:54 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Romano Giannetti wrote:

[...]
> have released the mouse button and follow you. 

I've encountered this as well.  I used to have ClickTime set to 50 in
fvwm 1.xx and I had no problem with raising window being mistaken as a
move.  Now, I have ClickTime set to 150 and fvwm (2.0.41) occasionally
(not always) starts a move even if I had released the mouse.  Have you
tried adjusting the ClickTime parameter?  If you had it set to something
like 750 then I'm sure you wouldn't have this problem, but then you get 
a slight delay in your complex functions which could be annoying.

> mouse position. But the most surprising thing is that if you release
[...]

This also happens to me, but it doesn't have to be a large opaque move,
moving a small rubber-band window will cause the mouse to freeze up and
jump, seems like an interaction with edge scroll where fvwm has to think
about whether to warp to the next page or not, causing the mouse to
freeze up. 

Some other problems I'm currently having with 2.0.41:

1) clicking on a window in the pager will no longer raise the
corresponding window on the screen.

2) when a window is iconified, the icon label is truncated to the width
of the icon, and when you drag the icon the label is not drawn (this may
be a feature).

3) if you lower a window using the Lower command, then you cannot
immediately raise it by clicking inside the window.

4) if the CapsLock key is on then you can not click inside a window to
raise it.

> looking. I hope this can help to spot the last bugs in it... keep with 

Agreed, fvwm has a lot of potential, but it still has some rough edges.
I hope we can smooth out those rough edges before a public release.

--
N. Dan Zou                           650 Castro Street, Suite 270
Systems Engineer                     Mountain View, California 94041
Stanford Management Group, Inc.      Phone: +1 (415) 903-9591
#include <std/disclaimer.h>          Fax:   +1 (415) 903-9378

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Mar 1996 16:26:19 -0600

>>>>> "RG" == Romano Giannetti <[email-masked]> writes:

RG> I try to send this one a second time. I sent it two weeks ago, but
RG> never showed up in my list... is the list rejecting silently message
RG> sent from an address different from the one you are subscribed to?

Your message made it to the list fine on

Fri, 1 Mar 1996 04:28:15 -0600 (CST)

The message ID was
<[email-masked]>.

The list does not reject articles from anyone; the FVWM-Announce list does,
but that's a different story.  And nothing would ever be rejected silently;
I'd be asked to approve it.

 - J<