Subject: FVWM: Suggestion for LastPlacement style option

From: Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 1996 09:08:57 -0700 (MST)

I tend to be somewhat anal about where my windows go, but it is tiresome
placing the windows manually (I'm not so anal that I have aliases and scripts
to place them for me, although I suppose it could be done). So how does this
sound: A LastPlacement option, like SmartPlacement and RandomPlacement, which
places a window in the same location as the last instance of it, or has you
manually place it if this is the first invocation of it. Obviously, not too
useful for things like xterm, but I would like it for things that I only ever
have one of, such as workman, xcalc, xman, xv, editres, xpaint, nethack, etc.

I see two potential problems. First, can we add another style without
problems? I remember reading that fwvm has run out of bits. Second, what
information do we store. The class and resource names don't change, but the
icon and title names sure do, and the styles match against all of them.
Probably just remember the values the window had when it was destroyed. Also,
it would probably be wise to cap the number of window types which get
remembered, in case someone for some reason is doing something weird like
running programs with classnames "xterm.1", "xterm.2", "xterm.3" etc. 

As for how the style command does its matching, I do have a problem with that. 
I would much prefer the ability to specify which one of {class, resource,
title, icon} the regular expressions are matched against. I used to have a
like "Style "Fvwm*" ..." to match all fvwm modules in one shot, but that was
bad if I had an emacs window editing FvwmIconMan.c while I restarted fvwm. The
syntax FvwmIconMan uses is: type=regexp where type is one of {class, resource,
title, icon} and regexp is the regular expression, or just the regular
expression, in which case it matches everything.

Does anybody see a reason why I should not go ahead and implement these?

[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].