Subject: FVWM: FvwmButtons problems

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 07:23:41 +0100 (MET)

Thank you all for the reports on the latest FvwmButtons. There seems to be
two major inconveniences right now, that should be fixed:

 * If bitmaps and pixmaps are kept together in the same directory, FvwmButtons
   fails to load the pixmaps. This is a bug which was easily fixed.

 * As Olly and several others point out, the routine for allocating colors
   via xpm only works for xpm-3.4g and higher. (I didn't know that, sorry.)
   Now, I will try to fix that, but I meet the following problem: xpm.h defines
   it's version etc as:
     #define XpmFormat 3
     #define XpmVersion 4
     #define XpmRevision 7
   Forgive me for asking, but how can I use these defines to decide whether 
   to compile a part of the code or not? Most preprocessors will only handle
   constant expressions. 
   So, for now I have put a #define NEWXPM in the beginning of FvwmButtons.c.
   There is another way of doing what I do in the new code, but that is
   defined as obsolete by the latest xpm docs... Help? Anyone?

A new snapshot of FvwmButtons with these fixed will appear on the web page 
later today.

Other comments:

 * Olly:
   >      B. the "whatever" mode for selecting no icon now gives an error
   >         message (before it was just silently ignored).  I just changed
   >         my entries to use "-" when I don't want a pixmap which is what
   >         the new manual tells you to do.
   I really considered this a feature, besides, with the new syntax it 
   should not be a problem, as all you do is leave out the "Icon xxx" part.
   The new syntax is where everything is done inside the ()'s, and nothing
   outside.

 * Olly:
   > Now, there's one more feature that I would really like to see;  I'd like
   > to be able to set up a button that would, given a window name,
   > start the program and wait for the window to come up (like the default)
   > unless a window with that name already existed in which case it would
   > warp the desktop to that window.
   Ok, I've put it on the TODO list, but it'll take a while, sorry...

 * Robert Tarrall discovered a serious typo which would mess things up if
   you have buttons with actions "Desk ....". (Does anyone use that anymore?
   Guess the pager has taken over, but you know - never, _ever_ remove a
   feature!) Should have shown up in my compiler warnings, however this lousy
   system doesn't have matching includes and libs, I have to use things like 
   sscanf and fprintf on faith. Looking forward to return to my Linux PC :-).

More stuff:

Even though I really, _really_ should be doing something completely different,
it seems I can't get my mind of this :-)
I have everything laid out, on paper, to redo the parser, make the button box
interactively configurable (you'll love that), and some more options.
I will do some brushing up, there will be some changes to the extended syntax
to make it all set, and then I will freeze it for some months.
(Until then, daily snapshots will appear on the web page. If you make a nice
config, please send it to me if you want it included there :-) Instant fame!)

Problem is I've got 3 weeks now to finish my diploma, one week holiday with my
family, and then 2 months intensive army training probably without much spare
time.

But I promise to finish this some time, I mean, there is a limit to how many
features you can add. Isn't it..?

Vyrdsamt,
-Jarl
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 08:51:10 +0100 (MET)

Pardon me replying myself, but I thought I should try to avoid the wellmeaning
replies...

>    Now, I will try to fix that, but I meet the following problem: xpm.h
>    defines its version etc as:
>      #define XpmFormat 3
>      #define XpmVersion 4
>      #define XpmRevision 7

Heh, sorry for that one, must have skipped a few lines on the man page :-(
  #if XpmFormat >= 3 && XpmVersion >= 4 && XpmRevision >= 6
should work fine everywhere, not?

Vyrdsamt,
-Jarl