Subject: FVWM: FvwmButtons

From: Romano Giannetti <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 11:45:55 +0100 (MET)

Yes! It works! (compiled all in: all patches to fvwm in your home page 
(You know I trust you)). And more: the "depressed FvwmPager" bug has gone 
(some bug I suspect). And more: it look really *faster* on startup, and 
not only Buttons, but all the stuff (I use pixmaps in the menu and now I 
have put a little pixmap in the title bar thanks to pxp patch). I have not
tried vertical titlebar. 

I write this and cc: to fvwm list because I think that at least 
the line continuation patch, the pixmap cache patch, and the popup 
patch should be put in the standard dist... IMHO. 

Bye,
	Romano.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Romano Giannetti     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione 
Researcher               Elettronica Informatica Telecomunicazioni
[email-masked]      University of Pisa
------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 09:45:41 -0500

>>>>> "Romano" == Romano Giannetti <[email-masked]> writes:

Romano> Yes! It works! (compiled all in: all patches to fvwm in your
Romano> home page (You know I trust you)). And more: the "depressed
Romano> FvwmPager" bug has gone (some bug I suspect). And more: it
Romano> look really *faster* on startup, and not only Buttons, but all
Romano> the stuff (I use pixmaps in the menu and now I have put a
Romano> little pixmap in the title bar thanks to pxp patch). I have
Romano> not tried vertical titlebar.

Romano> I write this and cc: to fvwm list because I think that at
Romano> least the line continuation patch, the pixmap cache patch, and
Romano> the popup patch should be put in the standard dist... IMHO.

Never fear everyone - I plan on putting Jarl's new FvwmButtons into
the next release (ready early next week, hopefully) and the necessary
patches for it after I finish reviewing them, as long as I have no
problems with the patches.  I like the new capabilities (although I
don't use a buttonbar myself), so I really would like to get it in
there.

Speaking of patches, Jarl's vertical titlebar patch will mostly likely
NOT be included...  While it looks interesting, I don't really feel
that fvwm needs this right now.  Sorry everyone who may have been
looking forward to that.  I am keeping the patch file though, in case
I do percieve some need for something like this in the future...

BTW - Jarl, there is a program called xvertext in the R5 contrib on
ftp.x.org which can be used to rotate text strings in earlier X
versions.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're
  [email-masked],              just havin' a nightmare--of course,
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    we are still in Hell." Gary Larson
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jarl Totland <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 20:17:01 +0000 (WET)

Hi all

> don't use a buttonbar myself), so I really would like to get it in
Great! This means the fvwm-caching.patch will have to go in there too,
and probably fvwm-linecont and fvwm-popup :-) I still haven't got any 
bug reports on 200396b, this could mean it's up to beta standard now.
There will be some more feature patches, but whether they come tonight
or in may is hard to say.

> that fvwm needs this right now.  Sorry everyone who may have been
This was only as expected, it really was just a quick hack. But I intend
to rewrite it and resubmit it after SFR (the style flag rewrite), then it
could be used for separate windows. Will also experiment some with rotation
of title etc.

If there is any interest in this I guess I can maintain it as a patch to
the releases of fvwm until such a time that it might get included or is
forgotten/obsolete. 

> ftp.x.org which can be used to rotate text strings in earlier X
Thanks, I'll look at it. Hope it's faster than XGetPixel/XPutPixel - that
was _slow_.

Vyrdsamt,
-Jarl

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 14:53:55 -0500

>>>>> "Jarl" == Jarl Totland <[email-masked]> writes:

Jarl> Hi all

>> don't use a buttonbar myself), so I really would like to get it in

Jarl> Great! This means the fvwm-caching.patch will have to go in
Jarl> there too, and probably fvwm-linecont and fvwm-popup :-)

Yup.  Like I said, I still have to inspect those patches to make sure
I agree with them completely.  As long as they are 'ok' to me, they'll
be in there.

Jarl> I still haven't got any bug reports on 200396b, this could mean
Jarl> it's up to beta standard now.  There will be some more feature
Jarl> patches, but whether they come tonight or in may is hard to say.

I was hoping that you might start to slow down a bit.  :)

>> that fvwm needs this right now.  Sorry everyone who may have been

Jarl> This was only as expected, it really was just a quick hack. But
Jarl> I intend to rewrite it and resubmit it after SFR (the style flag
Jarl> rewrite), then it could be used for separate windows. Will also
Jarl> experiment some with rotation of title etc.

Jarl> If there is any interest in this I guess I can maintain it as a
Jarl> patch to the releases of fvwm until such a time that it might
Jarl> get included or is forgotten/obsolete.

Ok.

>> ftp.x.org which can be used to rotate text strings in earlier X

Jarl> Thanks, I'll look at it. Hope it's faster than
Jarl> XGetPixel/XPutPixel - that was _slow_.

I believe that it draws the string onto an image and then rotates that
image.  Don't know how fast it is though, as I never played with it.
I think that XFig uses that code, and it's pretty snappy w/ the
rotation, so I imagine it's pretty quick.

Chuck