Subject: FVWM: [Q] fvwm 2.0.41

From: Ralf Fassel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 21:31:58 GMT

G'day,
a few questions on fvwm 2.0.41:

- Is my impression correct that fvwm does not use any Xresources?

- is there a way to influence the way the border reliefs are drawn?
  Something analogous to `activeBottomShadowColor/activeTopShadowColor' 
  in mwm?  I'd like the top-shadow a bit lighter than it is now...
  
- is there a way to specify the cursor shape?  I noted in the FAQ that
        Cursor  cursor_num cursor_type             (obsoleted)
  Is there any replacement for it or is this feature just dumped?
  I can't stand the cursor changing its shape like a maniac if I move
  the mouse around.  It should be top_left_arrow and that's it.

Regards
R'
-- 
Backups? We don' *NEED* no steenking backups.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 18:20:17 -0500

>>>>> "Ralf" == Ralf Fassel <[email-masked]> writes:

Ralf> G'day,
Ralf> a few questions on fvwm 2.0.41:

Ralf> - Is my impression correct that fvwm does not use any Xresources?

Correct.  All initialization is done through the rc file.

Actually this is a partial lie, it does check to see if an app has an
X resource of *desk, and uses that for StartsOnDesk.  But that's it.

Ralf> - is there a way to influence the way the border reliefs are drawn?
Ralf>   Something analogous to `activeBottomShadowColor/activeTopShadowColor'
Ralf>   in mwm?  I'd like the top-shadow a bit lighter than it is now...

Not currently.  You could try playing with GetShadow and GetHilite in
colors.c to change what it comes up with.  I hadn't planned on adding
anything like this, but I may put it on the TO-DO list as a maybe.

Ralf> - is there a way to specify the cursor shape?  I noted in the FAQ that
Ralf>         Cursor  cursor_num cursor_type             (obsoleted)
Ralf>   Is there any replacement for it or is this feature just dumped?
Ralf>   I can't stand the cursor changing its shape like a maniac if I move
Ralf>   the mouse around.  It should be top_left_arrow and that's it.

This will eventually make it back in (it's on the TO-DO list).

Chuck

---

From: Ralf Fassel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 08:41:34 GMT

[Charles Hines]

|   Ralf> - is there a way to influence the way the border reliefs are drawn?
|   Ralf>   Something analogous to `activeBottomShadowColor/activeTopShadowColor'
|   Ralf>   in mwm?  I'd like the top-shadow a bit lighter than it is now...
|   
|   Not currently.  You could try playing with GetShadow and GetHilite in
|   colors.c to change what it comes up with.  I hadn't planned on adding
|   anything like this, but I may put it on the TO-DO list as a maybe.

A relief is (currently) composed of three parts: top shadow, base,
bottom shadow (talking about a horizontal structure.  Vertical...well
you get it.)  It would be nice to specify the three colors distinctly,
something absolute or even relative to the normal background of the
struct.  I.e. top-shadow is +#0a0a0a (meaning R+10 G+10 B+10 relative
to the normal BG).  If the color was without sign, it is absolute, '-'
specifies a darker color.  Plus of course the sizes for these
structs.  If I have a large border, I also need larger shadows.

| [cursor shape]
|
|   This will eventually make it back in (it's on the TO-DO list).

Definitely useful.

My fl 0.02.
R'
-- 
An excellent day for putting Slinkies on an escalator!

---

From: まつしたまこと <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 18:08:43 +0900

chuck_hines> This will eventually make it back in (it's on the TO-DO list).

Maybe 'CursorStyle' patch made by Kit Smithers is a good starting
point. It was posted in May/1995, for 2.0pl19.

- -
Makoto `MAR_kun' MATSUSHITA