Subject: Re: FVWM: Command to send arbitrary stuff to modules

From: [email-masked] (Graeme McCaffery)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 14:12:37 GMT

What I do is have separate files for colour, style, functions, popups, modules and the like.

I then use a central .fvwmrc file to read these files in at startup.

If I want to change a module's config, then I just edit its file and use the read command, either from a function or a FvwmTalk.

eg

AddToFunc CopyRead "I" Exec exec cp $HOME/.fvwm/$0 $HOME/.fvwm/$1
+		"I" Read .fvwm/$1

so goodstuff can be changed with this function:

CopyRead new_goodstuff  goodstuff

Hope this helps

Graeme

p.s. Chuck could it be possible to make Read default to first reading the directory where fvwmrc has been specified:

ie
my config is $HOME/.fvwm/fvwmrc

and I want read to start looking for files from $HOME/.fvwm
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 13:34:50 -0500

>>>>> "gm" == Graeme McCaffery <[email-masked]> writes:

gm> AddToFunc CopyRead "I" Exec exec cp $HOME/.fvwm/$0 $HOME/.fvwm/$1
gm> +           "I" Read .fvwm/$1

The only problem with this is that Exec doesn't wait for the process
to finish, so this may not always work...

On a related note, I want to make a second Exec function called
ExecAndWait which will pause until the child is done.  But this may be
tricky...

gm> p.s. Chuck could it be possible to make Read default to first
gm> reading the directory where fvwmrc has been specified:

gm> ie
gm> my config is $HOME/.fvwm/fvwmrc

gm> and I want read to start looking for files from $HOME/.fvwm

By default it looks in $HOME first, then in FvwmDir.  So if you have
nothing in $HOME for it to find, you should be ok.

It would be pretty easy to have the read function look for an env var
called FVWMHOME or FVWMRCDIR or something like that, and look there
before the $HOME directory.  Might not be a bad idea.

Chuck