Subject: FVWM: desktop

From: Mirai <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 10:09:13 -0600 (CST)

Hi,

I'm working on an fvwm 2.0 desktop based on my own photography/art
etc.... and calling it workspace.  I'd like to put up a web page on it
to show everyone what it looks like, but I have a problem... how do I
get a screendump of the screen WHILE the root window menu is popped up?
I'd like to show off the menus.

Also, anyone have a patch or is working on something that can embedd
xpm's into the title bar, or what would be really really sharp would be
to have an xpm image background in the titlebar with text overlayed.

Jim
[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Sean Kelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 09:38:27 -0700

>>>>> "Mirai" == Mirai  <[email-masked]> writes:

    Mirai> how do I get a screendump of the screen WHILE the root
    Mirai> window menu is popped up?  I'd like to show off the menus.

In an xterm, do

	sleep 10; xwd -root

then you have 10 seconds to popup your menu.  Keep it open 'til you
hear the beeps.

    Mirai> Also, anyone have a patch or is working on something that
    Mirai> can embedd xpm's into the title bar,

That's the one thing ctwm still has over fvwm: pixmaps for the title
bar buttons ... pixmaps are also heck a of a lot easier to edit than
``45x45@1 55x45@1 55x55@0 ...''

-- 
Sean Kelly                          
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    [email-masked]
Boulder Colorado USA                http://www-sdd.fsl.noaa.gov/~kelly/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: まつしたまこと <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 02:36:12 +0900

kelly> That's the one thing ctwm still has over fvwm: pixmaps for the title
kelly> bar buttons ... pixmaps are also heck a of a lot easier to edit than
kelly> ``45x45@1 55x45@1 55x55@0 ...''

I hope anybody makes "FVWM ButtonStyle Editor" :-) BTW, is there any
cool way to design ButtonStyle ? I want to make my own button, but
it's too dificult for me (try-and-error is the only way to do ?).

- -
Makoto `MAR_kun' MATSUSHITA

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 12:47:50 -0500

Well, the next version (2.0.42) has support for pixmaps in title bar
buttons, courtesy of Andrew Veliath.

It'll be ready sometime this week hopefully.  It would have been ready
today, but I've encountered some problems (like problems w/ Jarl's new
FvwmButtons under AIX) and I have a few more things I'd like to get in
there that I didn't get a chance to finish this weekend.

matusita> I hope anybody makes "FVWM ButtonStyle Editor" :-) BTW, is there any
matusita> cool way to design ButtonStyle ? I want to make my own button, but
matusita> it's too dificult for me (try-and-error is the only way to do ?).

Trial and error is it for now.  I'll be including a big list of sample
buttonstyles in the next version, one's that I've collected & created,
and more that someone (I forget who right now) posted here not to long
ago.  Then you can use these as a starting point for creating your
own.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're
  [email-masked],              just havin' a nightmare--of course,
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    we are still in Hell." Gary Larson
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 12:49:47 -0500

>>>>> "Jim" == Mirai  <[email-masked]> writes:

Jim> Hi,
Jim> I'm working on an fvwm 2.0 desktop based on my own
Jim> photography/art etc.... and calling it workspace.  I'd like to
Jim> put up a web page on it to show everyone what it looks like, but
Jim> I have a problem... how do I get a screendump of the screen WHILE
Jim> the root window menu is popped up?  I'd like to show off the
Jim> menus.

xv has a grab w/ delay option that can be used to do this.

Jim> Also, anyone have a patch or is working on something that can embedd
Jim> xpm's into the title bar, or what would be really really sharp would be
Jim> to have an xpm image background in the titlebar with text overlayed.

The next release (2.0.42) will have the ability to use xpm's as
titlebar buttons, but not as a background for the titlebar itself.

Chuck

---

From: Grant McDorman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 13:40:53 -0500 (EST)

>>Hi,
...
> how do I

Suggestions so far:
  - use xv's Grab capability
  - use sleep + xwd -root in a shell

My suggestion:
  - use xgrab, by Bruce Schuchardt.

The sleep & xwd -root is awkward, as you'll get
the whole screen, and will probably have to trim it.

xv will work reasonably well; it doesn't have the extra options
that xgrab does but it'll do what you need. Although I haven't
tried it, xv's "AutoGrab" mechanism may work well to grab just
the menu. (It will probably not work very well for heirarchical
menus, though.)

My personal preference is xgrab (available from ftp.x.org contrib);
it has a nice GUI that lets you set sleep before and after; you can
grab windows, stretch a rectangle, or grab the whole screen. Output,
too, can be PostScript, xwd, ppm, or xpm.  It's a nice tool.

In any event, you'll have to either grab the whole screen (as per xwd)
or drag a rectangle out where you expect the menu to be. This is also
true for applications; grabbing the application window, even with a delay,
will not get the menu (because, in low-level X terms, the menu isn't part
of the application's window).

Grant McDorman <[email-masked]>
				ISG Technologies, Inc.