Subject: FVWM: MWM style menus - yet another oppinion

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Riehm)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 11:56:23 +0100 (MEZ)

Hi All,

fvwm is definitely a seriously cool window manager, it's not EXACTLY
what I'm looking for, but it's pretty damn close!

Anyway, with all this discussion going on about MWM menus, I thought
I'ld drop in my few cents worth.

What I most miss in the FVWM menus, is the keyboard support. In mwm I
always had a character underlined in each menu entry, then, when I
poped up the menu from the keyboard, I could either cursor my way to
the option I want, or simply type the underlined character. If this is
possible in fvwm2, I haven't found it yet.

Also, when using the cursor keys in a menu, you have to use them a lot
more than with mwm. The cursor keys in fvwm move the pointer a certain
number of pixels, where as mwm moves the pointer to the next menu
entry. This is most obvious when moving to sub menus, where in fvwm
you have to hit cursor-right twice to get the pointer into the menu,
and once again to get from the menu title to the first menu option,
this is a single cursor-right keystroke in mwm.

If I've missed something please let me know (I've only been using fvwm
for a few weeks now).

By the way, I'm not using the mwm menu style, for exactly the reasons
stated in the other mails on this topic ;-)

It's still a great window manager though.

PS: What happened to the TogglePage (?) function? There are times when
I really don't want to page just because the pointer is at the edge of
the screen, but normally I do want this functionality, is it possible
to bind something like this to a key, so that hitting the key toggles
this? (Setting EdgeScroll is one way, but it doesn't toggle). Having a
little "Lock" icon appear somewhere on the screen when paging is
locked would also be a neat feature - anyone?

thanks in advance

Steve
_______________________________ ._ o  ________________________________
//   Stephen Riehm             /  //\.        [email-masked]
\\\\ pc-plus                  '  \>> |         Phone: +49 89 62030 148
//// 81539 Munich, Germany        \\ `           Fax: +49 89 62030 113
  \\
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].