Subject: FVWM: No buttons :{

From: "Alan Wild" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 00:11:08 -0800 (PST)

I think I'm going to cry.  :`{

I can't get it to work.  I applied all of Jarl's patches on my home
Linux box and it didn't do anything.

Here's my problems.

	#1 The Picture patch didn't work.  This is still no good.

IconPath /adm/arwild01/.icons
PixmapPath /adm/arwild01/.icons

AddToMenu Xterms "XTerms"       Title
+       ""                      Nop
+       "Local Xterm%starbase.xpm%"     Exec color_xterm -name starbase &

I know the icons are there.

	#2 The New FvwmButtons does not appear at all.  Some of the
child process are started.  Using Jarl's samplebuttonsrc, I got the
xclock -bg darkolivegreen . . . But it never lauched the xbiff from what
I can tell. 

The process *never* died.  It jsut never became visual.  It never
appeared in any win lists.  Nor did xlsclients list it.  

Here's the info from 110396b's start-up.

FvwmTest: Parsing...OK
FvwmTest: Shuffling...OK
FvwmTest: Loading data...
FvwmTest: Loading: Button 0x015f00: colors, colors2, font2 "fixed", container.
FvwmTest: Loading: Button 0x015e00: colors, colors2, container.
FvwmTest: Loading: Button 0x015d00: colors, icon "bomb.xpm", title "Close", size 22x2, done.
FvwmTest: Loading: Button 0x015c00: colors, title "Resize", size 58x15, done.
FvwmTest: Loading: Button 0x015a00: colors, colors2, font2 "-*-helvetica-*-r-*-*-14-*", container.
FvwmTest: Loading: Button 0x015900: colors, icon "jball.xpm", title "Dump", size 73x24, done.
FvwmTest: Loading: Button 0x015b00: colors, icon "jball.xpm", title "Save", size 66x24, done.
FvwmTest: Loading: Back to container 0x015a00, size 81x56, done.
FvwmTest: Loading: Button 0x015600: colors, colors2, container.
FvwmTest: Loading: Button 0x015500: colors, size 4x4, done.
FvwmTest: Loading: Button 0x015400: colors, title "Mail", size 14x17, done.
FvwmTest: Loading: Button 0x015300: colors, icon "Down", title "Beep", size 36x49, done.
FvwmTest: Loading: Back to container 0x015600, size 50x57, done.
FvwmTest: Loading: Back to container 0x015e00, size 251x122, done.
FvwmTest: Loading: Back to container 0x015f00, size 251x122, done.
FvwmTest: Creating windows...

I hope this leads to some resolution.  I *really* want to use the new
FvwmButtons.  The changes looks outstanding, but I can't get it to work.
:`{

Note:  So far, I have tried Linux 1.2.13 and IBM AIX 3.2.5  I got
similiar behavior on both systems.

-Alan
--
Alan Wild  f/s/c                                   Intel SET-CA AV Tools
Mail Stop: CO3-222                          Office Phone:  (503)677-4538
[email-masked]             [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Brandon M. Browning" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 00:52:53 -0800 (PST)

> I think I'm going to cry.  :`{

Me too.

> Linux box and it didn't do anything.

I'm having the same problems; I'm trying to run xdaliclock, xload, and
FvwmPager.  I get the unswallowed pager, but the clock & load never show up
(they *are* run -- I end up killing their processes later).  The only other
oddity is that Jarl's Buttons goes into an infinite loop(?) and eats mega
processor time until I kill it off.  I haven't looked into it too much (I
have two large senior projects going on), but I promise to try and track it
down to see where it chokes.  I'm also running 1.2.13, GCC 2.7.0; not sure
which Xpm (in case that should matter). 

I'd like to at least try out some of the new features !!

-- Brandon Browning                                                          )
   Powertie Software                                                        (
   http://www.powertie.org/                                                c[]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Before borrowing money from a friend, decide which one you need more.