Subject: FVWM: FvwmButtons keeps exiting - HELP!

From: Kent Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 1996 10:14:22 -0800

linux.1.3.69
X86Free.3.1.2D
Xpm 3.4h
Fvwm2.41

Hello All,

Has any one had this problem?  I start fvwm2.41, FvwmButtons
appears load but then quickly exits - no errors reported.  If I 
put a syntax error in a *FvwmButtons line it reports the error 
so I know FvwmButtons is loading and finding the rc file.  

I have tried FvwmButtons-080396 and FvwmButtons-070396, and
applied the patches to fvwm2, and rebuilt XPM under X86Free.3.1.2D.
Still no go.

I have been trying a simple config just to see if I can get it going.

Module FvwmButtons
*FvwmButtonsBack      #80A0A0     
*FvwmButtonsFore      Black     
*FvwmButtonsFont      None 
*FvwmButtonsPadding   1 1
*FvwmButtonsGeometry  +10+10
*FvwmButtonsColumns   1

*FvwmButtons(Icon start.xpm, Action 'Exec "ansi_xterm" exec ansi_xterm')
*FvwmButtons(Icon start.xpm, Action 'Exec "ansi_xterm" exec ansi_xterm')

Any clues?

-- 

Kent Berry
Auburn, WA
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Alan Wild" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 12:08:53 -0800 (PST)

> appears load but then quickly exits - no errors reported.  If I 

Myabe I shoudlnt' have been so quick as to assume I goofed up something
in Jarl's releases.

That's what happened to me in the 3/8 release.  Except I would never see
an FvwmButtons window.  It would just start all of the chile (to be
swallowed) apps and then stop.  I'm not 100% that the process died.
I'll have to check it again, but that's essentially what happened.  It
never came up with the new format.

I'll be honest, I presently don't have too much of a need for the
features, but I would like to see if this program handles dying
processes better.  I've got a problem where xmialbox will spawn a
defunct process if I currently have my xmailapp open.  I was hoping that
maybe the new FvwmButtons would make this behave better or at least I
could use the respawn option so I could just kill my current copy.

Anyway. . . since I haven't got a reply yet why does:

	IconPath /users/arwild01/.icons/
	PixmapPath /users/arwild01/.icons/

	AddToMenu Xterms "XTerms"       Title
	+	"Local Xterm%/users/arwild01/.icons/starbase.xbm%"	Exec xterm -name starbase -ls &

That work, but this doesn't? (Assuming the same IconPath/PixmapPath
specification)  BTW, I'll admit that my file was originally based on
someone else's working .fvwm2rc.  I can only me blamed for 50% of the
errors in here.  That, and the stupidy not to confirm everything.

	AddToMenu Xterms "XTerms"       Title
	+	"Local Xterm%starbase.xbm%"	Exec xterm -name starbase -ls &

-- 
Alan Wild
Intel SET-CA Software Validation Group
Office Phone:	(503)677-4538
[email-masked]
f/s/c  [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 21:29:26 +0100 (MET)

> Myabe I shoudlnt' have been so quick as to assume I goofed up something

Thanks alot :-) You're probably not too far off mark, I prefer just to code
the thing; not test it.

> never came up with the new format.
There were lots of quirks in the loading of icons, that should be history
now. I've thrown it all out and link with the Picture code in fvwmlib.
Actually that's the same that fvwm menus use. Yes there is a bug in it
(see below)

> maybe the new FvwmButtons would make this behave better or at least I
Send me a description (I didn't quite understand this one), and I will look
at it.

> 	+	"Local Xterm%starbase.xbm%"	Exec xterm -name starbase -ls &
As mentioned above, there's a stupid bug in Picture.c: first it searches
the pixmap path for the icon, when it doesn't find it there it gives up.
See? Not just me who make the bugs. :-) This one I even fixed, there is a 
patch for it on my page.

FvwmButtons will be settling down soon, I have almost all the features I
wanted to do, and there really aren't that many bugs. I use it all the time
without problems, and several other people run it fine.
I might have introduced incompatibilities with some systems though, so 
please report if you get problems with compiling etc.

No, today's version is not out yet. Seems it will be tomorrows version 
instead :-)  New features: Popup menus that work, more streamlined syntax,
bitmap icons works again, option to use WM_DELETE_WINDOW or KillClient for
sending children to bed, handles resizing to 0, and a surprise I'm working
on. You'll just have to wait.

Vyrdsamt,
-Jarl

---

From: "Alan Wild" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 13:10:54 -0800 (PST)

> Thanks alot :-) You're probably not too far off mark, I prefer just to code

Well, from your descriptions, the changes sound outstanding.  I just
wish I could see them.

> Send me a description (I didn't quite understand this one), and I will look

Well, xmailbox will use the X resource xmailapp to spawn an application.
In my case I invoke elm within an xterm.  The problem is, elm will only
let you have one copy open. . . . . 

So, if one is already open the process becomes <defunct> on my AIX box.
Linux, and HP-UX seem to handle this scenario okay.  What irks me is,
since i have process limits, if I let this go for some period of time I
cannot spawn any mores processes.

I figure this isn't an FvwmButtons problem, it's am xmailbox problem.
BUT if I just kill xmailbox, I loose my FvwmButtons and I have to
restart it.  I was hoping the new versions would let this process die
cleanly and then respawn it.  Unfortunately, I have yet to check it out.

> the pixmap path for the icon, when it doesn't find it there it gives up.

But my icons are in the Pixmap path.  Is this a problem with the search
methodology?  Or maybe I have a syntax error.  I'll have to check out
tomorrow's release, I guess.

> without problems, and several other people run it fine.

I was unable to run it using one of your example?.fvwmrc files.  Much
less, attempting to re-code my own.

Hopefully these bugs will be stamped out soon enough.  I'm interested in
rebuilding my button bar so I can use pull down menus to get to my
applications.  I'm really getting some great ideas here, but I have to
wait for the new patches.

I also need to start working on a collection of 16x16 icons.  Does any
one have a GOOD way of converting older icons?  I currently use some
nice 32x32 icons, but when I shrink them they look bad.  Unfortunately,
I'm not enough of an artist to correct the errors by hand.

thanks
-Alan