Subject: FVWM: Help with starting...

From: Mailing List account <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 14:06:59 +0000 ( )

Hi all,

I've been working with X for a little while but really don't know how it 
works.  I'm sick of twm where I work and I want to make all my dest tops 
standard.  I got fvwm and compiled it on a sun.  compiled fine with a 
little work.  My problem is I'm not sure what files it uses when it 
starts.  When I run the manager with the system.fvwmrc file provided with 
the distribution it comes up but unless I have xterms in my .xinitrc I 
can get nothing to come up i.e. with the mouse and such.  I didn't 
install this on the system ..  just my account.

I guess what I am asking for is pure basics to get some windows up nd 
some functionality to the manager....

Thanks,

[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Mar 1996 10:56:02 +0100

>>>>> On Mon, 18 Mar 1996 14:06:59 +0000 ( ), Mailing List account
>>>>> <[email-masked]> said:

  rkurnik> I guess what I am asking for is pure basics to get some
  rkurnik> windows up nd some functionality to the manager....

You copy the system.fvwmrc file into your home directory under the
name of .fvwmrc or .fvwm2rc (if you've installed Fvwm 2.0.*).

Apart from starting a different window manager, everything else about
your configuration should stay the same.  I.e. you now have a setup
which starts twm (from .xinitrc or .xsession, probably).  You just
change the call of twm to read fvwm (or fvwm2), and off you go.

regards,
        kai
--
~/.signature