Subject: FVWM: Runaway fvwm processes

From: Mark Naumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 96 08:34:52 -0700

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
>    *  To: [email-masked]
>    *  Subject: high load for fvwm2?
>    *  From: [email-masked]
>    *  Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 16:11:57 -0500
> 
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> >From time to time fvwm2 gets into what looks like a runaway mode on my
> linux (1.3.45) box (recent XFree86):
> 
>   PID USER     PRI  NI SIZE  RES SHRD STAT %CPU %MEM  TIME COMMAND
>  2705 markcrim  15  15 2200  504  324 R N  94.1  3.3 92:34 fvwm2
> 
> Any idea what this is?
> 
> Thanks,
> Mark
> 
> 

I've also seen this with fvwm-1.24r.  It seems related to stopping the fvwm
process.  For instance, in my .xsession, I am starting fvwm in the background
and the last line in the .xsession file is a foreground xterm.  When I logout
of the xterm, I expect the fvwm process to die, too.  Sometimes it does;
sometimes it doesn't.

When fvwm does not exit, it goes into some runaway mode.  The next time I
login, my .xsession starts a new fvwm process. Now I have one runaway (from
previous login) and this new fvwm process.  If I don't manually kill the old
process, it just sits there consuming CPU cycles (and upsets a lot of my
colleagues!)

Has anyone found a solution to this or know the cause? 

Thanks,

[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Chris Rode <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 10:48:42 CST

Mark Naumann <[email-masked]> wrote:

}When fvwm does not exit, it goes into some runaway mode.  The next time I
}login, my .xsession starts a new fvwm process. Now I have one runaway (from
}previous login) and this new fvwm process.  If I don't manually kill the old
}process, it just sits there consuming CPU cycles (and upsets a lot of my
}colleagues!)

i also get this, but it isn't sporadic -- it happens all the time if i
don't explicitly quit fvwm.  this is happening to everyone that i know
of using the copy of fvwm2 i compiled.  most, myself included, have made
fvwm our session manager, thus eliminating the problem by forcing us to
quit fvwm before logging out.  if not explicitly killed, the process
hangs around, and the load sits at a constant 1.0 until the process is
killed off.  I'm using fvwm 2.0.41 under ultrix 4.3, osf/1 3.2, and irix
5.3.  

--chris.

--
chris rode - [email-masked]                -- Help Room Consultant
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~crode/         -- 138 Durham Center, 294-1314
"why don't we just have a stupidity    depeche mode, erasure, moby, new order,
 tax? just tax the stupid people!"     pet shop boys and recoil rock my world.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 16:08:14 -0500

For me (2.0.41 on linux) it is not an old fvwm2 process, but the
current one, that zooms up to load 1.0 until I restart fvwm2.  This
happens quite frequently.  Now, I faily often kill and start a module
(in this case tkgoodstuff, which runs as a module using tkfvwm).  This
may have something to do with it, but fvwm2's load doesn't go down
when the module is killed.  (Could it be something about paying
respects to dead modules?)  Since I produce this effect pretty
reliably (twice this afternoon), I'd be happy to do a little
debugging, if told what to do...