Subject: FVWM: FVWM - patching

From: [email-masked] (David Kennedy)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 11:31:38 GMT

I have to ask one very basic question before I apply the OpenLook patch to
the last release of Fvwm2...how do I apply a patch!?

More specifically, what program (called patch I presume) do I need, where may
I get a copy (UK/Europe preferred), and how should I go about using it?

I apologise for the rather ignorant nature of my question, but in the past I
have always just ignored patches and hoped the next release was soon.

And secondly, has anyone applied this patch and does it solve MailTool's
irritating behaviour of opening new mail as an icon provided the inbox
was otherwise empty (except on the first invocation of the day)?

With a bit of luck this patch or Solaris 2.5 might solve this, the only
serious problem I have. On that note I remember seeing a post about how some
definitions in Solaris 2.5 conflict with those of Fvwm (M_THINGS? something             
similar), has this problem been rectified? Our site is changing over soon and
I'd like to still use Fvwm with as little fuss as possible.

Thanks for any help.
-- 
David Kennedy, Dept. of Pure & Applied Physics, Queen's University of Belfast
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Email: [email-masked] | URL: http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~dcjk/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 96 10:50:53 EST

%% Regarding FVWM: FVWM - patching;
%% [email-masked] (David Kennedy) writes:

    dk> More specifically, what program (called patch I presume) do I
    dk> need, where may I get a copy (UK/Europe preferred), and how
    dk> should I go about using it?

Larry Wall's patch program is fantastic; no site should be without it.
It's now distributed by the GNU folks, so look in:

  ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/patch-2.1.tar.gz

(or its mirrors).  Like almost all GNU software, it's trivial to build:

  $ <unzip, untar, cd to directory>
  $ ./configure
  $ make intall

Bam.  Check out the INSTALL file for details.

Then, save your email or whatever containing the patch to a file and
send it to patch via stdin:

  $ patch < patchfile

Or, if you emailer supports piping messages to commands, you can invoke
it directly from there.

Patch is smart enough to ignore all "non-patch" text, like email
headers, comments by the author, etc.  I've never had to trim out any
junk (including .sigs) from a patch before using it.

Check out the man pages, they're very informative.  Have fun!

PS.  To make a patch, just run diff (preferably "diff -c" or "diff -u")

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 Senior Software Engineer                                   Bay Networks, Inc.
-----------------------------------------------==<http://www.baynetworks.com/>-
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     These are my opinions--Bay Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 11:11:06 -0500

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul D Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

Paul> PS.  To make a patch, just run diff (preferably "diff -c" or "diff -u")

Acutally, I prefer the unified diffs ('-u') since I've had better luck
with them, and they seem to be smaller.

Due to this thread, I'm going to put info about how to 'properly'
submit and apply patches in the FAQ and BUGS files for the next
distribution.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're
  [email-masked],              just havin' a nightmare--of course,
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    we are still in Hell." Gary Larson
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 96 11:20:23 EST

%% Regarding Re: FVWM: FVWM - patching;

    >>>>>> "Paul" == Paul D Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

    Paul> PS.  To make a patch, just run diff (preferably "diff -c" or
    Paul> "diff -u")

    ch> Acutally, I prefer the unified diffs ('-u') since I've had
    ch> better luck with them, and they seem to be smaller.

I agree 1000%, and they're definitely smaller (because the context lines
are repeated only once instead of twice), but note that some 'Net
notables, in particular RMS, won't accept "diff -u" patches (actually he
accepts them, but he always requests that you use "diff -c").  They
claim it's harder for them to understand.  I find it _easier_, but YMMV
of course.