Subject: FVWM: fvwm 2.0.41 and system.fvwmrc

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 00:44:42 -0700

I installed fvwm 2.0.41 and while playing with the configuration I found
that while it works fine on the user's .fvwm2rc, it would not load
the system-wide configuration if there was no user's .fvwm2rc. Fvwm2 loads,
with nothing except background and cursor (movable). Mouse buttons do 
nothing, killing the X server unjams it though.

I am running Slack 3.0, 1.2.13 ELF. I installed fvwm2 by hand (to keep it 
from screwing my stuff up with that install mystery-script[1]), 
also installed over 2.0.40, so I might not have gotten everything right, but
it seems kinda fishy that it would work fine with ~/.fvwmrc but can't use
/etc/X11/fvwm/system.fvwmrc, fvwm/system.fvwm2rc, fvwm2/system.fvwmrc, or
fvwm2/system.fvwm2rc. 

Sorry, I'm not on the list. Flames - don't bother. I'm going to try a
reinstall, but just thought I'd report my difficulty.

Don

[1] couple versions ago, I installed my first fvwm2 by hand because the 
install script made me suspicious. Later made a backup and tried make install.
Sure enough, it disrupted the banner/background of fvwm1.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Mar 1996 10:58:41 +0100

>>>>> On Tue, 19 Mar 1996 00:44:42 -0700, [email-masked] said:

  Don> I installed fvwm 2.0.41 and while playing with the
  Don> configuration I found that while it works fine on the user's
  Don> .fvwm2rc, it would not load the system-wide configuration if
  Don> there was no user's .fvwm2rc.

It's a know {misfeature,feature,bug} of Fvwm2 that it doesn't read
system.fvwmrc.

        kai
--
~/.signature

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 09:59:30 -0500

>>>>> "Kai" == Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]> writes:

Kai> It's a know {misfeature,feature,bug} of Fvwm2 that it doesn't read
Kai> system.fvwmrc.

Actually, it does look for the file in the system area though.  It
just doesn't look for the file with the word 'system' in front of it.

Here is the search method:

  $HOME/.fvwm2rc
  FvwmDir/.fvwm2rc

where FvwmDir is specified in the Fvwm.tmpl file.

Chuck