Subject: FVWM: Popup- start two programs?

From: Kevin Werner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 22:55:41 -0800

Is there a way to have one popup menu item start two
programs?  I'm using fvwm 1.?

For example:

Popup
        Exec    "PSpice Manager"      exec pspice/msimmgrd
        Exec    "PSpice Schematics"   exec pspice/psched 

        Exec    "Mgr/Schematics" exec 'pspice/msimmgrd;pspice/psched'
EndPopup

I tried several combinations of 's and "s.  Can this be done by creating 
a "function?"?  A couple seconds wait might be needed, as the schematic 
editor won't start without the manager program.

Thanks,
Kevin

 _______________________________________________________________
|                                                               |
|    Kevin Werner             mailto:[email-masked]          |
|     Kokomo, IN              http://www.holli.com/~kwerner     |
|                             http://www.holli.com/~xeno        |
|_______________________________________________________________|
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Riehm)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 11:32:00 +0100 (MEZ)

Hi Kevin,

>         Exec    "Mgr/Schematics" exec 'pspice/msimmgrd;pspice/psched'

you're using Unix, so you've got to learn a few other ways to skin
a cat :-)

In this case, simply create a very small shell script, and run that,
you do have a directory for your own scripts etc don't you?

As an example:

--- cut here, File: start.schematics---
#!/bin/sh
PATH=/a/full/path/to/pspice:$PATH
export PATH
msimmgrd &
psched &
exit 0
--- cut here ---

then in fvwm:
	Exec "Mgr/Schematics" exec start.schematics &

you could also redirect output from the programs into seperate log
files, or any number of other things. I use a trick like this to get
around AIX's braindead Xterm, which forget to set the window size
properly when starting up.

Hope this helps,

Steve
_______________________________ ._ o  ________________________________
//   Stephen Riehm             /  //\.        [email-masked]
\\\\ pc-plus                  '  \>> |         Phone: +49 89 62030 148
//// 81539 Munich, Germany        \\ `           Fax: +49 89 62030 113
  \\
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].