Subject: FVWM: XFree86, OS/2 and fvwm

From: [email-masked] (Sebastien Marineau)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 96 08:49:31 est

Well, following my post about a month ago, I am pleased to announce
(for those who do not know already) that an Alpha version of XFree86
312D is now available for OS/2. It can be downloaded from
ftp.xfree86.org in the beta section.... 

Now back to the subject at hand. I have "ported" fvwm to OS/2 (not
much to it, really) and it runs fine (except for modules for now). The
big problem, and I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right
direction, only surfaced lately when we started compiling apps from
the /contrib selection. 

So here it is: certain apps, when run under fvwm, do not receive
keyboard focus. These include, for example: xtetris, xpaint, chimera,
x3270, while xcalc, xedit have no problem. Note that under other
window managers (namely twm, ctwm and tvtwm) this does not occur. 

The other symptom is that the window title bar for those apps will not
change color when the mouse is over them/clicked on. Color remain that
of an app which doesn't have focus. 

My guess is that fvwm is, for some reason, flagging these apps to not
receive focus. I have looked through the source but cannot really see
where this would occur. Maybe someone (Robert, Chuck?) could point the
flags which would cause this. 

Note also that I don't believe this to be a problem with fvwm. I am
pretty sure the problem lies somewhere in the X libs, because running
fvwm remotely works fine for remote apps and work improperly for local
apps. This is not really surprising, BTW. A lot of the X libs are rely
upon certain Unix "traits", such as linefeeds to terminate lines and
':' as a separator in path lists. 

Well, any help would be appreciated! Hopefully, I'll get fvwm up and
running (properly) on OS/2 real soon. 

Thanks,

_____________________________
Sebastien Marineau
Mechanical Engineering
University of Ottawa
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].