Subject: FVWM: Vertical Titlebar Hack

From: Jarl Totland <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 20:39:17 +0000 (WET)

Hello everybody!

Doesn't seem to be much action on the list this week. Here's something to
cheer you up a little:

I've made a patch to give vertical titlebars to fvwm windows. You can get it
at my homepage, I even put a snapshot up. It's nothing fantastic, don't know
if it's useful, but it was something I had wanted to do for a long time..
When you're on 640x400 or 800x600 you want to exploit the height of the screen
to its fullest, and titlebars are just in the way.
It didn't turn out as nice as expected when I found out there was no reasonable
way to display rotated text :-( Anyway, it's up for grabs. If someone likes
it maybe we can convince Chuck to put it in, but no high hopes :-)

More? Hmm, the latest FvwmButtons from my hands is 200396b, not any fancy news
since 130396, just some bugfixes. Small ones.

Oh, and here's a thing I was wond'ring about - is there really any use in 
maintaining both PixmapPath and IconPath in fvwm? I haven't looked at all
the different loading routines (must be.. atleast 3 of them in fvwm itself)
but is there a problem in concatenating them together, and when asked to load
an icon first try to load it as XPM and on failure as a bitmap?
I just thought it would be simpler to use just IconPath, sorry if I've missed
something obvious..

I'll round off here... Btw, if anyone has any ideas about what to do with
the titledown patch, send me a note. I guess it can be used for Asian topdown
written languages, but I really don't know anything about how that is coded..
Btw, if you have a rotated latin font you can ofcourse get rotated titles,
and likewise X11R6 and up is supposed to support on-the-fly rotation matrices.
Do what you like.

Vyrdsamt,
-Jarl
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Hector Peraza <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 21:01:39 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 21 Mar 1996, Jarl Totland wrote:

> at my homepage, I even put a snapshot up.

What is your homepage URL?

Groetjes,
Hector Peraza.

---

From: Vatiainen Heikki <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 23:25:06 +0200 (EET)

> What is your homepage URL?

I'm not Jarl, but I hope it doesn't matter :=). You can find Jarl's
homepage via http://www.fm.unit.no/~jatotal/ 

The homepage is in Norwegian but the link to the fvwm-buttons is there
somewhere ...

Heikki Vatiainen
Finland

---

From: "Alan Wild" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 13:34:29 -0800 (PST)

> The homepage is in Norwegian but the link to the fvwm-buttons is there

Well, I'm also not Jarl, but in case you don't read norwegian, here's
the link:

http://www.fm.unit.no/~jatotal/fvwm.html

:)

-Alan

-- 
Alan Wild  f/s/c                                   Intel SET-CA AV Tools
Mail Stop: CO3-222                          Office Phone:  (503)677-4538
[email-masked]             [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].