Subject: FVWM: Newbie: install problem.

From: Jack A Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 1996 09:20:24 -0800 (pst)

Hi,

     I downloaded fvwm-2.0.41.tar.gz and unarchived into /root.  I then ran:

          MakeMakefile
          make
          make install

as root.  I then copied the example xinitrc and fvwmrc files included in the 
archive to /root/.xinitrc and /root/.fvwmrc and ran startx.  fvwm 1.23 came up 
and ran fairly successfully but with some error messages.  So I editted 
/root/.xinitrc so the line that mentions fvwm now has fvwm2.  When I run startx 
X seems to start, giving me the familiar blue screen background and x curser but
nothing else.  So I exit X with control shift backspace and see the error 
message:

          xinit: connection to server lost

I know I don't know what I'm doing so could some kind person help me to complete
the installation.

     I am using Linux /Slackware 2.3 coff(a.out) based kernal 1.2.8 on a 486 DX2
w/ 8m ram 1.6G hd and 64m swap partition.  Up til now I have been successfully 
using whatever version of fvwm slackware 2.3 installs (1.23 I think).

     I don't think the problem is with linux I think I just didn't do some 
obvious install step.

     By the way /root is my root account home directory as you probably guessed.
I thought I could experiment with fvwm2.x by putting the init files in there and
prepending a '.' to their names.

Thanks,
Jack

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].