Subject: FVWM: keyword limitation && titledown patch

From: Jarl Totland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 07:33:25 +0000 (WET)

Hello,

just a couple of notes:

--

Seems to be a small problem with keyword parsing in fvwm, probably known but:
if a prefix of a keyword matches another keyword, it might get mistaken for
that other keyword.

Example:    AddToMenu Title-Menu "Centered" TitleStyle Centered
The TitleStyle gets misparsed and what you get is the title "Centered".

Workaround: Do it through a function.

Quick solution: Make sure fvwm always tries to parse longest keywords first.
This is what is done for functions now, but there are plenty of cases where
it is done "by hand" to recognize keywords.

Good solution: Modify mystrncasecmp() (or make a variant of it) so it doesn't
match if the next char in either string is alphanumeric (i.e. isalnum())

--

More on TitleDown (vertical titlebars):

Thanks for all the info on xvertext/xfig, I had a look at it. Definitively
overkill. But I pulled out some code, modified, deleted, rewrote, and lo, it
works. Now displays vertical titles either written downwards like it should
be or upwards (rotated anti-clockwise (spent too much time in France (:-)))
(Thank you emacs for matching my parantheses (:-))

I will try to make a clean patch for this for fvwm-2.0.42 when it arrives
"early next week", should hopefully not be too much trouble.

Btw, for you who only tested the first version, now it also works with shaped
windows. And in case you didn't notice - it has the lines for sticky windows.

--

Sorry too keep you on your toes Chuck, but I will disappear any day now, when
I finally realize I have less than a week to do my masters degree :-) And
after the holidays men in green will put me in an army camp for three months,
so I'll be sort of occupied. But I will be back. Guerilla wm programming is
a lifestyle I start to appreciate :-)

Vyrdsamt,
-Jarl

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Martin Kraemer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 12:06:55 +0200 (MDT)

Jarl wrote...
> 
> [...] Now displays vertical titles either written downwards like it should

But then again maybe we should allow "hight handed" people to put the
title bar to the right side of the window, where they would "grab" it
intuitively... Well, never mind, I thought just for the completeness of it
;-)

I think (especially for 640x480 notebooks) this is a very useful addition.
If I had one, I would certainly use it, and I'm going to suggest this
feature to a friend (who happens to have one). I'll wait for the vertical
letters, however.

Chuck - do you really want to keep this out of the official distribution?
Once it is stable, it could be kept in #ifdef's but wouldn't deviate from
the main distribution.

    Martin
-- 
| S I E M E N S |   [email-masked]   |       Siemens Nixdorf
| ------------- |   Voice: +49-89-636-46021     |   Informationssysteme AG
| N I X D O R F |   FAX:   +49-89-636-44994     |    81730 Munich, Germany
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ My opinions only, of course; pgp key available on request
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 14:20:43 -0500

>>>>> "MK" == Martin Kraemer <[email-masked]> writes:

MK> Jarl wrote...
>> (Thank you emacs for matching my parantheses (:-))

MK> But then again maybe we should allow "hight handed" people to put
MK> the title bar to the right side of the window, where they would
MK> "grab" it intuitively... Well, never mind, I thought just for the
MK> completeness of it
MK> ;-)

MK> I think (especially for 640x480 notebooks) this is a very useful
MK> addition.  If I had one, I would certainly use it, and I'm going
MK> to suggest this feature to a friend (who happens to have
MK> one). I'll wait for the vertical letters, however.

MK> Chuck - do you really want to keep this out of the official
MK> distribution?

Yup.  It kinda goes along with my not feeling a need to support a
bunch of different window manager looks.  I just don't see a real
pressing need for it right now, although I do understand why you would
like it.

If you want to save the vertical space, you could just as easily use a
really small title font or shut off the titlebar completely.  If you
needed to find a window based on it's title, the builtin window list,
special Next/Prev keybindings, FvwmWinList, FvwmPager, or FvwmIconMan
could all do this nicely for you.  And you wouldn't be wasting any
horizontal space from a vertical titlebar either.

MK> Once it is stable, it could be kept in #ifdef's but wouldn't deviate from
MK> the main distribution.

I'd rather not do that either, because people who compiled it in would
be expecing 'official' support.  And what if some site didn't compile
it in, but one of their users wanted it because they heard about it
from somewhere, or saw a reference in the code or docs?

For now I think it should just remain a patch on Jarl's web page.

Chuck