Subject: FVWM: Can fvwm be re-entered from olwm?

From: "raymond (r.e.) marshall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 16:00:00 -0500

I work primarily in fvwm, it's my WM of choice.  But, occasionally I have
to switch to olwm for GUI testing.  Unfortunately, I have not discovered a
way to gracefully switch back to fvwm.  As it stands now, when I exit
olwm, I get logged out, and thereby loose all of the work I had running in
other windows.  I've tried killing olwmslave -- this has no apparent
affect.  Neither did I see anything in the pulldown menu that looked
useful.
 
Is it possible to switch back to fvwm from olwm?  If so, how?
 
Environment:  SPARC 20, Solaris 2.4, fvwm 1.24r
 
I have fvwm 2.0.41 available, but haven't switched over to it yet.
 
Thanks  /  Ray
-----------------------------------+---------------------------------
Raymond E. Marshall <[email-masked]>  |  My opinions are not necessarily
NorTel, Customer Service           |  endorsed by my employer, etc.
RTP NC, USA    919-992-4731      Alternate access: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Alan Wild" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 13:27:00 -0800 (PST)

> Is it possible to switch back to fvwm from olwm?  If so, how?

There are a lot of different solutions.  The one that I use on all
platforms is the program "xsession".

You can FTP it from ftp.x.org.  I think it's like in /pub/utilities.
"xsession" is used as an X11 session manager.  This then, in turn,
starts the window manager.  If you use xsession as the last active
process in your .xinitrc file, it will hold up X for you.

Unfortunately, that means you have to use xsession to log out of X.
That's why in fvwm I use FvwmForm invoked with the name QuitVerify.
Notice the "kill".

*QuitVerifyWarpPointer
*QuitVerifyFont         -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
*QuitVerifyButtonFont   -adobe-helvetica-*-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
*QuitVerifyFore         Black
*QuitVerifyBack         #a4978e
*QuitVerifyItemFore     Black
*QuitVerifyItemBack     #a4978e
*QuitVerifyCommand      Beep
*QuitVerifyLine         center
*QuitVerifyText         "Do you really want to logout of X11?"
*QuitVerifyLine         expand
*QuitVerifyButton       quit            "Logout"        ^M
*QuitVerifyCommand      Exec kill `ps -fu arwild01|grep xsession|grep -v grep|cut -d\  -f 2`
*QuitVerifyButton       quit            "Cancel"        ^[
*QuitVerifyCommand      Nop

-Alan
-- 
Alan Wild
Intel SET-CA Software Validation Group
Office Phone:	(503)677-4538
[email-masked]
f/s/c  [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 16:27:07 -0500

>>>>> "Ray" == raymond (r.e.) marshall <[email-masked]>writes:

Ray> I work primarily in fvwm, it's my WM of choice.

As it should be.  :)

Ray> But, occasionally I have to switch to olwm for GUI testing.
Ray> Unfortunately, I have not discovered a way to gracefully switch
Ray> back to fvwm.  As it stands now, when I exit olwm, I get logged
Ray> out, and thereby loose all of the work I had running in other
Ray> windows.  I've tried killing olwmslave -- this has no apparent
Ray> affect.  Neither did I see anything in the pulldown menu that
Ray> looked useful.

Ray> Is it possible to switch back to fvwm from olwm?  If so, how?

If you Restart olwm (and it uses argv[0] like mwm does) instead of
exitting, it should go back to fvwm (since that should be argv[0]).

Or, you can install XSession and use that to start fvwm and switch
between various window managers.  It's also handy for capturing the
output of fvwm, and for keeping X from going down when the beta
version of fvwm that you downloaded mysteriously coredumps, which
sometimes happens, unfortunately.  :)

Hope this helps.

Later,
Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're
  [email-masked],              just havin' a nightmare--of course,
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    we are still in Hell." Gary Larson
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Sean Kelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 14:28:53 -0700

>>>>> "Ray" == "raymond (r e ) marshall" <[email-masked]> writes:

    Ray> I work primarily in fvwm, it's my WM of choice.  But,
    Ray> occasionally I have to switch to olwm for GUI testing.
    Ray> Unfortunately, I have not discovered a way to gracefully
    Ray> switch back to fvwm.  As it stands now, when I exit olwm, I
    Ray> get logged out, and thereby loose all of the work I had
    Ray> running in other windows.

Rather than switching window managers, you might want to investigate
the Xnest server.  It's an X server that runs in a window on an X
display.  You can manage your main display with fvwm.  Then, in the
Xnest window, run olwm.  Just iconify the window when you don't need
it.

Xnest comes with X11R6.

-- 
Sean Kelly                          
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    [email-masked]
Boulder Colorado USA                http://www-sdd.fsl.noaa.gov/~kelly/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Mar 1996 09:45:04 +0100

>>>>> On Mon, 11 Mar 1996 16:00:00 -0500 , "raymond (r.e.) marshall"
>>>>> <[email-masked]> said:

  Ray> [...] As it stands now, when I exit olwm, I get logged out, and
  Ray> thereby loose all of the work I had running in other
  Ray> windows.[...]

I'm sure that xsession (others suggested this) is a good solution, but
just for variety, I suggest using xlogout.

I'm not sure if xlogout comes with the standard X distribution -- it's
a program that opens a window and terminates when you click on it.

My .xsesssion file looks like this:

    #!/bin/sh
    ...start stuff...
    fvwm &
    exec xlogout

This way, you can enter an xterm, search for the pid of fvwm, then
enter this:

    kill 4242 ; sleep 5 ; olwm &

You can get back to fvwm similarly:

    kill 1717 ; sleep 5 ; fvwm &

(Assuming 4242 is the pid of fvwm, and 1717 is the pid of olwm.)

        kai
--
~/.signature