Subject: FVWM: Feature request - FvwmButtons

From: [email-masked] (John Henders)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 17:25:35 -0800 (PST)

Someone showed me a very nice feature in Windows95 I though would
translate well to FvwmButtons. Basically, the Win 95 taskbar can be set
to only appear when the mouse is moved to the bottom of the screen.
After the mouse leaves the taskbar, it disappears a few seconds later.
Does anyone else thing this could be useful? How hard would it be to add
to FvwmButtons?

-- 
      Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.
                GAT d- -p+(--) c++++ l++ u++ t- m--- W--- !v
                     b+++ e* s-/+ n-(?) h++ f+g+ w+++ y*

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 09:34:00 +0000

> Does anyone else thing this could be useful? How hard would it be to add

I've seen something similar on the Mac - this would be a really good
idea.  I've got FvwmButtons and FvwmIconMan in corners, and it would be
excellent if they could "auto-rise" when I put the cursor in the
respective corner.  It would also be nice if FvwmButtons menus could
auto-rise.  C'est possible?

Best appreciation to all fvwm developers

Michael

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Riehm)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 13:32:03 +0100 (MEZ)

Hi Michael, fvwm developers,

> auto-rise.  C'est possible?

The region would have to be well defined though, because nothing would
bother me more, that using the pointer to highlight some text from the
bottom of a window, and having my button bar popping up over the text.

PS: another feature which I like from the mac's was that if you threw
the pointer to the bottom left corner of the screen, that the
screensaver would startup right away - combine that with locking, it
would be a nice way to leave your workstation - but the pointer has to
be at +0-0 for the feature to start up. any takers?

Steve
_______________________________ ._ o  ________________________________
//   Stephen Riehm             /  //\.        [email-masked]
\\\\ pc-plus                  '  \>> |         Phone: +49 89 62030 148
//// 81539 Munich, Germany        \\ `           Fax: +49 89 62030 113
  \\
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Riehm)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 13:32:03 +0100 (MEZ)

Steve

---

From: "Brandon M. Browning" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 04:54:24 -0800 (PST)

> be at +0-0 for the feature to start up. any takers?

Take a look at xautolock.  I've been using it and it works great.  Not
only does it allow you to do the above, but it also starts xlock (or any
other screensaver for that matter) after a predetermined time of non-
activity.

-- Brandon Browning                                                          )
   Powertie Software                                                        (
   http://www.powertie.org/                                                c[]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"But officer, I was only trying to gain enough speed so I could coast to
the nearest gas station."

---

From: Frank Weis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 14:22:18 +0100 (MET)

> other screensaver for that matter) after a predetermined time of non-

Or xmss, allows you to run wharever you like after a certain time of
inactivity, has cold and hot spots (saver-never, saver-now) etc.
Frank

---

From: Jhon Honce <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 09:52:46 -0500

Excerpts from what Stephen Riehm said:

 :
 |PS: another feature which I like from the mac's was that if you threw
 |the pointer to the bottom left corner of the screen, that the
 |screensaver would startup right away - combine that with locking, it
 |would be a nice way to leave your workstation - but the pointer has to
 |be at +0-0 for the feature to start up. any takers?
 :

I use the xautolock to get this function.  It has worked well with fvwm since 
1.24.

-- [email-masked]           ***  Change awaits us with each breath
   NASA/GSFC; Code 505/HSTX B32 N231  vox: 301.286.1074
   Greenbelt, MD 20771                fax: 301.286.0267

---

From: "Jeff S. Elam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 08:14:56 -0800

> be at +0-0 for the feature to start up. any takers?

Personally, I use Xscreensaver from Jamie Zawinski ([email-masked],
http://www.netscape.com/people/jwz/), which you can pick up from ftp.x.org
somewhere.  It comes with a separate program that can be used to immediately
activate the screensaver.  Bind this program to a Function key, and just
hit that key when you have to leave.  It's pretty handy.

-- 
-Jeff E.
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (John Henders)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 08:59:59 -0800 (PST)

> be at +0-0 for the feature to start up. any takers?

Get a copy of xautolock from any X mirror. It already does this and
more. I used it all the time until I got a video card that XFree
supported in green mode.