Subject: FVWM: compiling fvwm2

From: Charbel Abou Khalil <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 10:36:54 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

I have downloaded fvwm.2.0.41.tar.gz file, but When i try to compile using
make this is the error message that i get: 

making all in ./libs...
cc -O -pipe   -I. -I/libs       -DSHAPE -DXPM   -target sun4 -c  CatString3.c
"CatString3.c", line 12: syntax error at or near type word "char"
"CatString3.c", line 17: a undefined
"CatString3.c", line 19: b undefined
"CatString3.c", line 21: c undefined
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `CatString3.o'
Current working directory /tmp_mnt/nobackup/yvpec/xfvwm/fvwm-2.0.41/libs
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'
 i have checked the file but it seems that the error is not their coz
a , b, c are the arguments, which means they are defined.

the problem maybe because iam using cc instead of gcc but i could not
chnage that .
the readme , install, and todo, dont say much about it. 
i have tried to set the BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS but it didnt work.

can some one please advice me on that.

Thank you very much.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 14:25:08 GMT

> From: Charbel Abou Khalil <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 10:36:54 +0000 (GMT)
> 
> Hello,
> 
..snip
> the problem maybe because iam using cc instead of gcc but i could not

The problem *is* that you're cc. The function CatString3() is defined
using ANSI syntax. I just took a quick look at the rest of lib/ and
lots, if not all, the files use ANSI.

If you have gcc installed, you can use it simply by giving the command
(after making the Makefiles as usual):

        make CC=gcc

Judging by the compiler line included in your error report, this should
work.

If you haven't gcc or some other ANSI compiler you have a big problem :(

-- 
Mark Powell, Senior Software Engineer <[email-masked]>
Primagraphics Limited, Graphics Court, Melbourn Science Park,
Melbourn, Royston, Herts SG8 6EJ, England. Tel. +44 1763 262041
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].