Subject: FVWM: fvwm2

From: Charbel Abou Khalil <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 17:16:00 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

	first i want to thank all the people that replied to my previous
message especially Mark Powell. For his answer was most appropriate.

	Now i have another problem when i sttempt to run fvwm2 it just hangs .
	i am using fvwmrc2 file.

	i am wondering if anyone knows where the problem is.
	
thnak you very much.
yvpec. 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Alan Wild" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 09:45:11 -0800 (PST)

> 	Now i have another problem when i sttempt to run fvwm2 it just hangs .

The file must be named .fvwm2rc and it must be an fvwm2.0.x specific
file.  You cannot use your old 1.x files with fvwm2.  Although you can
use the conversion script that comes distribute with fvwm2 to translate
your old file to the new syntax/

Personally, I would rather code a new file.  There are so many new
features and options that fvwm 1.x based setup seems rather obsolete to
me.

Especially now that I have started to play with Jarl's new FvwmButtons.
It's really impressive.

Too bad that fvwm warp's your pointer to the top of menus.  Chuck?  :)

-Alan

-- 
Alan Wild  f/s/c                                   Intel SET-CA AV Tools
Mail Stop: CO3-222                          Office Phone:  (503)677-4538
[email-masked]             [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 13:31:21 -0500

>>>>> "Alan" == Alan Wild <[email-masked]> writes:

Alan> Too bad that fvwm warp's your pointer to the top of menus.  Chuck?  :)

I think that you'll want the pointer to be warped in most cases.
Otherwise it might be in the middle of the menu, and activate a sub
menu (if the position is right) that you didn't want to access, which
would be annoying.

That feature annoys me from time to time, but for a different reason
and in a different circumstance.  Trying to double click on a titlebar
button menu when the window is far enough down on the screen to make
the menu shift up and hence warp the pointer, which then selects the
first menu item instead of doing the double click action.  I plan to
fix this, but this has to do with how to properly distinguish between
a click, double click, and motion, not really with warping the
pointer.

Chuck

---

From: "Alan Wild" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 10:37:15 -0800 (PST)

> menu (if the position is right) that you didn't want to access, which

Want I want to create is a setup where I have a small FvwmButtons (alal
Jarl) at the bottom of my screen.

_______________________________________________________________________
|        |  |  |  |  |  |                                             |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to be able to click on a button and get a pull-down (up?) menu as
such:

         _________
         |       |
         |       |
         |       |
_________|_______|_____________________________________________________
|        |* |  |  |  |  |                                             |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

But I want my pointer to stay where the asterisk is.  I don't want it
instantly warped to the top.  Basically, Fvwm already does this with
Pull-downs on Windows.  I just want the same to apply to a pull-up
started from a module (such as FvwmButtons).

-Alan

---

From: Romano Giannetti <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 20:33:48 +0100 (MET)

Well... so the solution could be: warp to title *but* add the option
to have the title *last* in the popup. I do not have idea if this is
simple/difficult/already working :-).

And Jarl's FvwmButtons works perfectly here. Hope this will be in the
next beta (with line continuation patch, too: really handy). 

Bye 
	Romano.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Romano Giannetti     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione 
Researcher               Elettronica Informatica Telecomunicazioni
[email-masked]      University of Pisa
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Alan Wild" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 11:48:15 -0800 (PST)

> simple/difficult/already working :-).

Sounds good to me.  :)

> next beta (with line continuation patch, too: really handy). 

Well, I would like to see a few more bug releases first, but I agree.  I
did have a buggy-situation where his FvwmButtons geometry popper up at
about 2024x1000.  I have no idea what caused it.  (We run AIX 3.2.5)

The same exact setup at home on my Linux box is workign quite well now.

I think the new features are great and I really like them.

In fact, using this in conjuntion with my FvwmPagerDeskColor patch makes
for some really interesting effects.

I hope they both make the next release.  *cheesy grin*

-Alan

---

From: Romano Giannetti <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 21:09:09 +0100 (MET)

> about 2024x1000.  I have no idea what caused it.  (We run AIX 3.2.5)

Yes, still there are some buglets here and there (no one with a "pressed
FvwmPager" over there :-)?) but they are few and for me absolutely no 
show stoppers. For geometry, I had something similar when putting a "Size 
x" and not "Size x y" option to a Swallow button... garbage in, garbage 
out :-).

For the all fvwm2 thing, I think that one time the 
motion/click/doubleclick/edgeresistance nasty interaction is resolved,
the all thing will be *perfect*. 

Ah, by the way... I have a strange bug. I have MenuStyle fvwm, and it 
happen to me the following: clicking on the menu on the titlebutton1,
keep pressed, move to a "close" action, release. Window (e.g a xcalc) 
close, BUT pointer keep the "dot" form and you can do nothing but 
cliking somewhere, fvwm2 beeps and apparently no operation is taken.

Linux 1.2.13, a.out, fvwm2.0.41 w linecont,module popup,bitmap search 
patch from Jarl.

Later,
	Romano.

---

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 15:36:25 -0500 (EST)

> cliking somewhere, fvwm2 beeps and apparently no operation is taken.

Nice to know there's another one who has this bug (I guess). I don't find 
that changing MenuStyles helps, and I can get it when I'm closing just 
about any window. (For example, run netscape, press alt+f to bring up 
search dialog box, then enter to start search, and I get the "dot".) 

Please, could anyone who has this problem send me your .fvwm2rc? I'm pretty 
sure some setting in there is the cause, I'm trying to find out just *what*.

-- 
#!/usr/bin/perl -lisubstr($_,39+38*sin++$y/9,2)=$s;print#     Joey Hess
for(1..8){$I.='JOEY HESS '}for($s='  ';;){$_=$I;eval$^I}# [email-masked]
      "How appropriate, you fight like a cow." - - Guybrush Threepwood

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 96 15:47:56 EST

%% Regarding Re: FVWM: fvwm2;
%% Joey Hess <[email-masked]> writes:

    >> Window (e.g a xcalc) close, BUT pointer keep the "dot" form and
    >> you can do nothing but cliking somewhere, fvwm2 beeps and
    >> apparently no operation is taken.

    jh> Please, could anyone who has this problem send me your .fvwm2rc?
    jh> I'm pretty sure some setting in there is the cause, I'm trying
    jh> to find out just *what*.

It's not an FVWM setting, it's a bug in FVWM itself.  Some kind of
timing issue.  I get this occasionally as well closing windows.

This was discussed just recently (last week?) on the mailing list, and
someone suggested a fix which involved adding a wait somewhere.  I
forget the details, but you should be able to find it in the FVWM
mailing list archives.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 Senior Software Engineer                                   Bay Networks, Inc.
-----------------------------------------------==<http://www.baynetworks.com/>-
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     These are my opinions--Bay Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 16:41:50 -0500

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul D Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

Paul> This was discussed just recently (last week?) on the mailing
Paul> list, and someone suggested a fix which involved adding a wait
Paul> somewhere.  I forget the details, but you should be able to find
Paul> it in the FVWM mailing list archives.

Different bug.  That was a problem w/ FvwmPager.

Chuck