Subject: Re: FVWM: Vertical Titlebar Hack

From: [email-masked] (David Kennedy)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 22:42:58 GMT

Jarl said:
>  I've made a patch to give vertical titlebars to fvwm windows. You can get it
>  at my homepage, I even put a snapshot up. It's nothing fantastic, don't know
>  if it's useful, but it was something I had wanted to do for a long time..
>  When you're on 640x400 or 800x600 you want to exploit the height of the screen
>  to its fullest, and titlebars are just in the way.
>  It didn't turn out as nice as expected when I found out there was no reasonable
>  way to display rotated text :-( Anyway, it's up for grabs. If someone likes
>  it maybe we can convince Chuck to put it in, but no high hopes :-)

Not exactly what you'd call bug free is it? :-) But its great fun and quite
useful on smaller displays where the title bar is usually in the next page...
very irritating.

It appears to have some serious bother with shaped stuff, try just popping
up xeyes when the title style is set to vertical. Very confused!

It would be a lot better (it would be superb!) if it could be implemented 
on a per window basis...I'd quite like to have some stuff (like Xterms)
have sidebars while most have horizontal by default, or does this
impinge on the famed 'style flags' debate as well?

On a unrelated note, to let several users use fvwm here it would be of terrific
help if FvwmButtons ran programs through my shell (with all its associated ENV
 variables), on X-terminals here the full path is needed, and often explicit
setting of env vars via scripts. This is obviously not great when less
experienced people go to customise their setups.
Please tell me that the next release address this problem, at least I am
fairly sure its the shell that needs added..

And I'm still waiting for 
	StartsOnDesk [desk] [page]
or
	StartsOnPage [page]

How hard can that one be? <duck>

-- 
David Kennedy, Dept. of Pure & Applied Physics, Queen's University of Belfast
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Email: [email-masked] | URL: http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~dcjk/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jarl Totland <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 00:26:13 +0000 (WET)

David Kennedy says:
> Jarl said:
> >  I've made a patch to give vertical titlebars to fvwm windows. ...
Hmm I actually hadn't tried it with shape extensions at all, but I see your
point after starting up xeyes :-) But when not using shapes it seems stable
enough? 

> impinge on the famed 'style flags' debate as well?
Yep, this would have to wait until Chuck does the big rewrite.

> fairly sure its the shell that needs added..
Mmm, I'm not really sure how FvwmButtons can handle this in any way...
it executes programs with the environment it was executed with, and this 
really depends only on your setup. When fvwm Execs a program it does it by
starting a shell to do it, and the shell will read the system - and the users
- cshrc's or whatever (there is a patch out there to get fvwm to use other
shells than the default csh)... Sorry I'm to tired to expand on this now,
but it really is all in the setup, what is done before starting fvwm..

Vyrdsamt,
-Jarl