Subject: FVWM: m4 and Jarls "\" continuation line mod

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 08:56:49 +1000

Appears to conflict. m4 reported unterminated calls until I changed
the wrapped lines to long ones.

M4 used instead of Cpp because on Solaris /some/path/USER expanded
to /some/path/ user with a leading space. No idea why.

-George
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jarl Totland <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 12:29:21 +0100 (MET)

> the wrapped lines to long ones.

Mmm, the patch is a patch to the Read function only, thus acts on what
is already preprocessed by FvwmCpp or M4. Should not make any problems
for them.

Note that this means you cannot continue preprocessor lines this way,
i.e. this is illegal: (cpp)

  #define ICONS /usr/include/X11/bitmaps:/usr/include/X11/pixmaps\
:HOME/include/X11/pixmaps:HOME/gfx/icons

Here ICONS would get defined as the first line, up to and including the
backslash, whereas the second line would cause fvwm some headache.

> to /some/path/ user with a leading space. No idea why.
Fwiw, I've heard about cpp's that only accepts one character of whitespace
between the defined name and its definition, if there were more it would
be included in the definition. You might want to check that there are no
more than one space or tab after USER in "#define USER user", if there
were two it could get defined as " user".

Vyrdamt,
-Jarl