Subject: Re: FVWM: building FVWM

From: Robert Tarrall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 16:02:56 -0700

Greg Veres wrote:
-> me to specify where my Xpm library and include files are found. I need to
-> do this because they are installed with ViewKit in /usr/include/Vk/xpm.h.
-> The astute will realize that xpm.h is not in an X11 directory like normal
-> on this platform. This means that when I tell the .tmpl file where to find
-> my xpm.h file, the compiler still can't find it because the source code
-> tries to include the file in an X11 directory. Here is an excerpt

If you have root just do
# cd /usr/include/Vk/xpm.h
# ln -s . X11
It's a hack, but it should work and will help you out on future compiles
as well.
			-Robert Tarrall.-
			Unix System/Network Admin
			Laboratory for Computational Dynamics
			CU - Boulder
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: tim werner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 06:57:18 -0500

>It's a hack, but it should work and will help you out on future compiles

You probably meant
# cd /usr/include/Vk
# ln -s . X11

But the reason why I'm responding to this is that our former sysadmin
did this sort of thing whenever a file could not be found where it was
being looked for.  In a 3-year period, he eventually got our system
linked up the yin-yang, and we are still straightening it out, 2 years
later.  

tw

---

From: Ralf Fassel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 13:38:35 GMT

[tim werner]

|   You probably meant
|   # cd /usr/include/Vk
|   # ln -s . X11
|   
|   
|   But the reason why I'm responding to this is that our former sysadmin
|   did this sort of thing whenever a file could not be found where it was
|   being looked for.  In a 3-year period, he eventually got our system
|   linked up the yin-yang, and we are still straightening it out, 2 years
|   later.  

Yep.  I would also not recommend fiddling in the system directories.
It's a nightmare to straighten out things if you ever have to upgrade.
Why not do in the fvwm source directory:

(cd fvwm assumed and `uname -s` = IRIX :-)

# xpm in /usr/include/Vk/
[ -d libs/X11 ] || ( mkdir libs/X11; ln -s /usr/include/Vk/xpm.h libs/X11/xpm.h )
[ -d fvwm/X11 ] || ( mkdir fvwm/X11; ln -s /usr/include/Vk/xpm.h fvwm/X11/xpm.h )

Regards
R'
-- 
What is g++?  Is it better than C++?

---

From: tim werner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 09:15:02 -0500

>Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 13:38:35 GMT
>From: Ralf Fassel <[email-masked]>

>It's a nightmare to straighten out things if you ever have to upgrade.

Exactly.  And most of it was due to some "...PATH" environment variable
not being set correctly.  In all fairness, though, I must admit that our
sysadmin did a brilliant job of getting our heterogeneous network of
sun3's, sun4's, and decstations all talking to each other.  And we have
some semi-amazing dot files that allow us to do anything (almost) on any
machine.  He was really jammed-up for time, and took a lot of short
cuts.  We bought a mix of workstations because our management was
familiar with Unix already, and they were convinced that "Unix is Unix".
Hoo boy.

It's always better to find out why it doesn't work on one's system (if
you can) to start fiddling around with the system directories.  Not only
does it make a nightmare of upgrades, but it can create a situation
where the wrong versions of some other files are found because after
awhile the file tree starts to become short-circuited by all the short
cuts. 

Not to knock the original poster.  I would have done what he suggested,
actually.  :-)

tw