Subject: Re: FVWM: icon bar

From: [email-masked] (Martin Cartwright)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 21:55:31 GMT

> From [email-masked] Wed Mar 27 21:35:18 1996
> Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 15:27:47 -0600 (CST)
> Subject: FVWM: icon bar
 
> my suggestion for a to-do in fvwm 2.0 is a dynamic icon bar which changes
> depending on which icon you push. This way, you can establish a nested
> tree-like structure of icons.  If you click on System Setup icon, the
> vertical bar changes into icons for setup with new icons such as: RAM,
> disk, cache, etc. Click on Networking and the icons get replaced with
> icons pertainting to network setup
> 
> does this make sense?
> 
> Jim
> 
Surely you can do this already by just binding 

Module SetupBar

to a button push? With SetupBar a symbolic link to FvwmButtons but with a 
seperate set of actions defined. I guess you could have it call a function and
kill the old bar first.  With Jarl's buttons this is even easier as you can 
define as many button-bars as you like and give them all their own setup files.

Martin

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: tim werner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 08:28:09 -0500

>Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 21:55:31 GMT
>From: [email-masked] (Martin Cartwright)

>...With Jarl's buttons this is even easier as you can 

Are Jarl's buttons in the standard release?  I just saw something about
the vertical title bar not being put in the other day.  Now I'm
wondering how much of the stuff that you all have been talking about is
based on patches that will never be a part of any official release.

On the subject of all the features, I've neve done more than a little
messing with my pager, adding to menus, and using iconboxes.  I thought
iconboxes would be boxes that you could pop to see all your icons.  It
took me a long time to figure out that there was no box, just a region
of the screen for putting your icons.

So, what I"m saying is, even with all the excellent documentation that
comes with fvwm, I haven't gotten into any customization involving most
of the other modules, e.g., Fvwm{Audio,Banner,Backer,Buttons,}.

Is there at any site sample snappshots of just what these things do for
me, so I could get excited about doing a little work on my .fvwmrc file?

thanks,
tw