Subject: FVWM: It's a great thing.

From: [email-masked] (Fabien Villard)
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 11:31:15 +0200

For I see on this list a lot of demands wich seems to forget the real 
point of fvwm, it's low memory cost, I just wanted to say that for me noting is 
missing :-) I use to work with DecWindow mwm under VMS and fvwm is so more 
powerfull that my own poor PC machine can do a lot more with desktop
configuration than my DEC4000-90 at work despite it's only 16Mb Ram. So thanks
to all of you developers and mainteners for that great work. And if I can just 
give you one idea : forget about Win95-and-so-on configuration look-like :-)))
	Fabien Villard
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 09:28:19 -0500

>>>>> "FV" == Fabien Villard <[email-masked]> writes:

FV> point of fvwm, it's low memory cost, I just wanted to say that for
FV> me noting is missing :-) I use to work with DecWindow mwm under
FV> VMS and fvwm is so more powerfull that my own poor PC machine can
FV> do a lot more with desktop configuration than my DEC4000-90 at
FV> work despite it's only 16Mb Ram. So thanks to all of you
FV> developers and mainteners for that great work.

Pure praise - that's what I love to see!  And it didn't even have the
normal "it's great but it needs xyz"! :)

FV> And if I can just give you one idea : forget about Win95-and-so-on
FV> configuration look-like :-)))

Ahhh, finially someone who agrees with me! ;^)

Chuck

---

From: Raymond Toy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 1996 12:18:33 -0500

Charles> Pure praise - that's what I love to see!  And it didn't even have the
    Charles> normal "it's great but it needs xyz"! :)

Well, fvwm has everything I want today and if development stopped
today, I wouldn't mind.  (Well, except for bug fixes---there are
always bugs, but I haven't noticed any bugs in ages.)

    Charles> Ahhh, finially someone who agrees with me! ;^)

I agree 100% too.  If you want win95, NT, OS/2, mwm, etc., then you
should use them and get some other package to let you use X.

Ray

---

From: "Randall S. Winchester" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 17:26:54 -0500 (EST)

>     Charles> normal "it's great but it needs xyz"! :)

Yes Praise time! Lets all not forget to stop periodical and shower Chuck and
the rest of the contributes with thanks and cheers for their great work.
Also we all thank Rob Nation for dreaming up and creating this wonderful 
window manager.

> should use them and get some other package to let you use X.

OK, I will bite.... I really like fvwms' current feature list much more
then other window managers total features, however there are a number of 
"missing" features that I think would be nice. Times change and creative
people come up with feature on various WMs that can improve any WM.
I used to use tvtwm, but I thought the 3d look was enough better that I
was willing to do without all the nice pixmap support for buttons and 
title bars, its' nicer icon manager, and other features. I for one am very 
glad to see some of that support finally starting to get added to FVWM.

I as long term Unix user have often pooh poohed Windows and such. However
I now find that I spened half my time at work using FVWM, and the other
half at home with Win95 and XWin32 doing the same things I do at work. All
except the window manager. There are some feature in Win95 that are
convienient to say the least. They have had a chance to look at what the
other WM's have done right and wrong, and have made some good decisions
that would be nice to see on other window managers. (Thanks God there is a
public domain Win95 utility that turns off click to type.... )

I am not speaking "emulation per say", but Win95 does pixmaps well, and
their icon manager is very appealing. I also really like to click on a
"window"  and have it come to the foreground. This is alot more straight
forward then trying place my pointer on a thin "window border" like I do
with FVWM. The way it deals with color maps to "keep from running out" is
also slick. 

I know this is creaping featureism, and not something that Rob Nation 
wanted to do himself, but as long as some of these features can pass
the bloat test, or be confined to modules, I would like to see FVWM 
continue to "grow" and continue as "the best" and "my favorite" WM.

Randall