Subject: FVWM: SkipMapping

From: "Alan Wild" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 09:13:56 -0800 (PST)

For lack of somtheing better to do at work, I started reading though the
man pages.

I found reference to the Style's SkipMapping, ShowMapping. . . what does
this do?

-Alan

-- 
Alan Wild
Office Phone:	(503)677-4538
[email-masked]
f/s/c  [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 13:19:32 -0500

If you start an application on a different desktop than you are
currently sitting at, the default behavior will warp to that desktop
when its window maps.  By setting the SkipMapping style for that
window, the window is created on the other desktop, but you don't see
it until you actually go to it.  It's great at startup time when I'm
putting MAE on desk 1, Netscape on desk 2 and all my other stuff is
coming up on desk 0.
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: "Alan Wild" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 10:31:59 -0800 (PST)

> putting MAE on desk 1, Netscape on desk 2 and all my other stuff is

That's what I thought it did, but I felt like asking.  I've been wanting
fvwm to do this for months now.  Thanks.

This really does reflect poorly on the documentation, though.  I've been
using fvwm for quite some time, hacked the source code, made patches,
etc.  But there are features buried in here that even experienced users
don't recognize.

I realize the documentation is 3000x better than it used to be.

I guess all we can do is flag this to be documented.  I, personally,
wouldn't mind seeing a manpage just on Fvwm's style hints.

-Alan

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 15:30:13 -0500

>>>>> "Alan" == Alan Wild <[email-masked]> writes:

Alan> This really does reflect poorly on the documentation, though.
Alan> I've been using fvwm for quite some time, hacked the source
Alan> code, made patches, etc.  But there are features buried in here
Alan> that even experienced users don't recognize.

Alan> I realize the documentation is 3000x better than it used to be.

I'm very glad you put that line in there.

Alan> I guess all we can do is flag this to be documented.

Correct.  In fact, I encourage this very highly.  Before fvwm2 can be
officially released, the docs and install process need to be pretty
clean and correct, which is what I've been trying to improve on
lately.

When you encounter missing or incorrect things, definitely inform me
please.  I'll try to update the docs for the following release.

Alan> I, personally, wouldn't mind seeing a manpage just on Fvwm's
Alan> style hints.

It probably won't get it's own man page, but I would like to make sure
that all of the options are at least touched on slightly and get
improved over time.

Chuck

---

From: "Alan Wild" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 12:53:26 -0800 (PST)

> I'm very glad you put that line in there.

I didn't mean that as a slam to you at all.  In fact, I think you and
the other coders do an outstanding job.  I just feel like the
documentation is a little "holesome" of ya' know what I mean.

I almost feel like someone should volunteer just to work on the
documentation.  I would be willing to do that, but I'm afraid I don't
have the time.

> that all of the options are at least touched on slightly and get

If someone could take the documentation off your hands, this solve both
problems.  There would be time to get the documentation done, and
it could be expanded upon to better describe all of the features.

-Alan

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 16:03:39 -0500

>>>>> "Alan" == Alan Wild <[email-masked]> writes:

Alan> [email-masked] wrote:

>> I'm very glad you put that line in there.

Alan> I didn't mean that as a slam to you at all.

I know.  I meant to put a ":)" at the end of that line, but got
distracted in the middle of typing it up and forgot.

Alan> In fact, I think you and the other coders do an outstanding job.

Cool.  I love positive feedback.

Alan> I just feel like the documentation is a little "holesome" of ya'
Alan> know what I mean.

Yes, It's definitely lacking a little.

Alan> I almost feel like someone should volunteer just to work on the
Alan> documentation.  I would be willing to do that, but I'm afraid I
Alan> don't have the time.

I doubt anyone has, actually.

>> that all of the options are at least touched on slightly and get

Alan> If someone could take the documentation off your hands, this
Alan> solve both problems.  There would be time to get the
Alan> documentation done, and it could be expanded upon to better
Alan> describe all of the features.

Well, if anyone out there sends me doc updates, that is as valuable as
a patch and I'll get them incorporated.  But I'm not looking for
anyone to take over the docs wholesale.  Once this initial problem of
getting them up to date is taken care of, updates shouldn't be to bad.
Being the maintainer of the source now, this really is my
responsibility as well, since the source and docs should go hand and
hand.

On a related note, if anyone contributes patches, I'd really
appreciate the relative doc updates (or an approximation thereof) to
be sent with them if needed and at all possible.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're
  [email-masked],              just havin' a nightmare--of course,
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    we are still in Hell." Gary Larson
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].