Subject: FVWM: StartsOnPage

From: Frank Weis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 10:52:13 +0100 (MET)

Hi,
I remember reading a discussion about how people managed to do something 
similar to the nonexistant StartsOnPage attribute, fiddling with some 
variables like WINDOWHEIGHT/WIDTH or SCREENHEIGHT/WIDTH.... 
I would like to have some applications be placed on a certain Page (NOT 
Desk) but when I specify a geometry, the placement is relative to the 
current page, not the top-left page. 
Could you post this .fv* excerpts again please?
TIA
Frank.
PS: Thanks to Aaron <[email-masked]> for his top-down left-right 
window-placement patch. I needed this for some time w/out being exactly 
aware of it ;-)

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 1996 11:18:39 -0500

Frank> Hi, I remember reading a discussion about how people managed to
Frank> do something similar to the nonexistant StartsOnPage attribute,
Frank> fiddling with some variables like WINDOWHEIGHT/WIDTH or
Frank> SCREENHEIGHT/WIDTH....  I would like to have some applications
Frank> be placed on a certain Page (NOT Desk) but when I specify a
Frank> geometry, the placement is relative to the current page, not
Frank> the top-left page.  Could you post this .fv* excerpts again
Frank> please? 

Yes, any geometry spec is relative to the current page.  For now you
have to deal with that.  I don't recall seeing anyone post excerpts
from a .fvwmrc, though if you use FvwmM4 (and I presume FvwmCpp),
there will be HEIGHT and WIDTH variable set for you that you can use.
I do it all out of my .X11Startup file which looks something like
this:

#! /bin/sh

[...]
SCREENWIDTH=`xdpyinfo | grep dimensions | cut -dx -f1 | cut -d: -f2`
SCREENHEIGHT=`xdpyinfo | grep dimensions | cut -dx -f2 | cut -d' ' -f1`
export SCREENWIDTH SCREENHEIGHT
[...]
xterm -geometry +0+`expr $SCREENHEIGHT` &
netscape -geometry 900x725+`expr $SCREENWIDTH \* 2`+`expr $SCREENHEIGHT` &
[...]
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B020\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Domain: [email-masked]  UUCP: {your neighborhood}!linus!mdf!dsg