Subject: FVWM: Window Lists

From: [email-masked] (Ian MacKinnon)
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 12:58:54 GMT

I have just converted to fvwm from vtwm and I like what I see.
A feature I really liked in vtwm, was you could have seperate window
lists for applications, eg one for all your xterms, for for emacs
windows. Is this possible in fvwm ? If so how ?

                       \|/
                      (o o)
+==================oOO-(_)-OOo==========================+
|If you don't care where you are, you can't be lost     |
|                                                       |
|_______________________________________________________|
| Ian MacKinnon             [email-masked]|
| (44) 171 293 1413                                     |
|_______________________________________________________|
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 96 15:10 GMT

> windows. Is this possible in fvwm ? If so how ?

This would be a nice feature to have; but one for the TODO list right
now, I suspect.

How about a Sytle parameter specifying the textual name of a list to
put that window in, and then the WindowList built-in could take an
argument specifying a list of window lists to include?

Austin

---

From: Jonathan Watson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 1996 10:28:04 -0500 (EST)

> windows. Is this possible in fvwm ? If so how ?
 
If you download the FvwmIconMan-0.2.tar.gz file in /pub/fvwm/misc from 
ftp.htc.uhu.edu you might get somthing like what you are looking for. It 
is an Icon Manager module for FVWM written by Brady Montz that hasn't yet 
been included in the releases. It is designed to be similar to the one in vtwm.
 I use it, but I don't use the multi-manager options. With a little 
tinkering it should do what you want.

	Jon Watson  

*-------------------------------------------*-------------------------------*
| The MITRE Corporation			    | Northeastern University       |
| D086 Advanced Systems - Signal Processing | Boston,  Massachussests, USA. |
| Bedford, Massachussests, USA.		    | College of Engineering (EE)   |
|        [email-masked]	 	    |    [email-masked]  |
*-------------------------------------------*-------------------------------*

---

From: 4-String <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 15:24:19 -0400 (AST)

> tinkering it should do what you want.

I managed to find this little item as well...It compiled OK but it will 
not run...whenever I try to run it nothing happens. I do a "ps -u" and 
according to it I'm not running it. Any help would be appreciated.

+-----------------------------------------+---------------------------+
| Shane [4-String] Spinney                | "Life is what happens to  |
| BSc(CS) at University of New Brunswick  |  you while you're busy    |
| Fredericton, NB, Canada                 |  making other plans."     |
| [email-masked] , [email-masked]         |             - John Lennon |
+-----------------------------------------+---------------------------+

---

From: Jonathan Watson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 14:40:46 -0500 (EST)

> according to it I'm not running it. Any help would be appreciated.
	I had the same problem with the Icon Manager at first too. It did the 
exact same thing: It ran in the background but didn't appear on the 
screen. To fix it I had to install a later version of FVWM. You have to be 
running FVWM v1.24r or later.(I was using 1.21c). You also have to properly 
indicate/make the config.h file. (Examples are in the config directory that 
come with the .tar) If you compile on an SGI (I did) it doesn't come with a 
release but, I have a config.h file that worked (for me) under IRIX 5.3. 
If you want it, e-mail me and I'll post it OR e-mail Brady Montz at: 
  [email-masked]

He was very helpful when I had similar problems. Since I got it working 
on the SGI I have compiled it under Linux on my Dad's PC for home use and 
had no problems there either. 

	Jon Watson
PS -  I noticed I was kinda vague in my last message about the Icon 
manager and if it supported the multiple window lists. Yes it does support 
multiple managers showing specific things, (ie. 1 manager shows emacs, 1 
shows xterms) but I don't use those features. There is an example of how 
to do that in the documentation tho.

---

From: 4-String <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 09:18:18 -0400 (AST)

> If you want it, e-mail me and I'll post it OR e-mail Brady Montz at: 

The thing is that I got the module to compile but it just doesn't do 
anything for me. I list off all the processes that I'm running and it is 
not there. I'm not gettting any error messages or anything it just isn't 
working. If it's any help I compiled it under SunOS 5.4 and I'm running 
Fvwm 2.0.38.

---

From: Jonathan Watson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 08:34:42 -0500 (EST)

> working. If it's any help I compiled it under SunOS 5.4 and I'm running 

The questions you have to ask are as follows:
	1. Did you use the correct file for config.h?? There is a solaris 
	   one in the config directory: <FvwmIconMan dir>/config/solaris

	2. Assuming you used the correct config.h (you copied it to 
	   ../config.h or soft-linked it to ../config.h), did you specify 
	   the correct FVWM version switch?? You should have added the 
	   following to the "DEFINES" line: -DFVWM_VERSION=2
	   When I just looked at the solaris example file I noticed there 
	   was no header stuff. If you look in another example (ie. linux)
	   you'll see the following lines commented out at the top:
		# -DNEED_UCHAR if uchar isn't typedef'd for you already
		# -DNEED_ULONG if ulong isn't typedef'd for you already
		# -DFVWM_VERSION=2 if you are compiling for fvwm 2.0

	3. Did you run 'make depend' before compiling? If not run 'make 
	   clean', then 'make depend', then 'make'. (I assume you did if 
   	   you got it to compile, but it wasn't in the instructions. :)

	So if you didn't use that switch, I would expect it not to work. 
Those lines don't seem to appear in either the 'solaris' or 'sunos4', and 
the 'make depend' as I recall, isn't in the directions. I run it on an 
SGI so I had to hack my own config.h...G'Luck!

	Jon Watson