Subject: FVWM: Final 2.0 release - when?

From: Ulrik Skyt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 13:09:47 +0100

Hi,

I'm new on this mailing list, and know only little about fvwm
versions. So I would like to hear if anybody knows when a 'final' 2.0
release will be ready, or if there even exist a plan for when a
release will be 'final'. E.g. shall all things in the TODO list be
implemented?

/Ulrik

PS. I didn't find this info anywhere, maybe a README or FAQ file
should mention it?
______________________________________________________________

Ulrik Skyt             Email : [email-masked]
Universitetsparken     URL   : http://www.daimi.aau.dk/~ulle
koll.3, III, v.135     Office: R0.33 
8000 Århus C           Phone : 8942 3217
86127443 / 86131786    Local : 3217
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 09:29:11 -0500

>>>>> "Ulrik" == Ulrik Skyt <[email-masked]> writes:

Ulrik> Hi,

Hello.

Ulrik> I'm new on this mailing list, and know only little about fvwm
Ulrik> versions. So I would like to hear if anybody knows when a 'final' 2.0
Ulrik> release will be ready, or if there even exist a plan for when a
Ulrik> release will be 'final'. E.g. shall all things in the TODO list be
Ulrik> implemented?

My standard answer is 'The first official 2.xx release will occur
"Real Soon Now", whatever "Real Soon Now" actually means'.  There is
still more cleanup that needs to be done, particularily in the docs
and build process, and then I'll release it, but it will by no means
be a 'final' release.  The items on the TO-DO list will probably never be
fully completed, and are completely unrelated to the

Ulrik> PS. I didn't find this info anywhere, maybe a README or FAQ file
Ulrik> should mention it?

Both the ChangeLog and the FAQ indicate that the first official
release will be 2.1.0, indicating that I am working towards that goal.
I should probably put my standard answer above in there somewhere
though.  And I'll be sure to put it on the forthcoming official FVWM
web page too.

Chuck

---

From: Andy Eskilsson <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Feb 1996 20:29:29 +0100

/ <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines) wrote:
| 
| My standard answer is 'The first official 2.xx release will occur
| "Real Soon Now", whatever "Real Soon Now" actually means'.  There is
| still more cleanup that needs to be done, particularily in the docs
| and build process, and then I'll release it, but it will by no means
| be a 'final' release.  The items on the TO-DO list will probably never be
| fully completed, and are completely unrelated to the
| 

Uhm, don't forget the bugs section from fvwm 1.2's man-pages:

     As of fvwm 0.99 there were exactly 39.342 unidentified bugs.
     Identified  bugs  have mostly been fixed, though. Since then
     9.34 bugs have been fixed.  Assuming that there are at least
     10  unidentified  bugs for every identified one, that leaves
     us with 39.342 - 9.32 + 10 *  9.34  =  123.402  unidentified
     bugs.  If  we  follow this to its logical conclusion we will
     have an infinite number  of  unidentified  bugs  before  the
     number  of  bugs  can  start to diminish, at which point the
     program will be bug-free.  Since this is a computer  program
     infinity  =  3.4028e+38  if  you  don't  insist  on  double-
     precision. At the current rate of bug  discovery  we  should
     expect  to  achieve  this point in 3.37e+27 years. I guess I
     better plan on passing this thing on to my children....

Hmm something is wrong here, he (R. Nation) hasn't passed it on to his
children?? 

	/andy (smile)

-- 
 Don't walk in front of me, I might be unable to follow you.
 Don't walk after me, I might be unable to lead you.
 Just walk by my side and be my friend.
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].