Subject: FVWM: problems installing fvwm

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Riehm)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 18:36:07 +0100 (MEZ)

Hi fvwm-users,

I'm hoping that I'm not the only one who uses the /opt approach to
installing non-system software, and that someone has already
encountered and conquered this problem.

I'm trying to install fvwm in the directory /opt/fvwm-1.24r , ie:
under this directory is a bin, and man page, and then links are made
into /usr/local/ - this approach greatly reduces the effort required
to maintain such packages, especially when removing old versions.
Anyway, I've successfully compiled fvwm several times now, only to
realise that paths like /usr/X11/bin and /usr/man are hard coded in
the Makefiles (produced by imake).

Does anyone know how to twist things so that the hard coded paths are
/opt/fvwm etc?? I don't feel like manually reqriting all the
makefiles.

thanks in advance,

Steve
_______________________________ ._ o  ________________________________
//   Stephen Riehm             /  //\.        [email-masked]
\\\\ pc-plus                  '  \>> |         Phone: +49 89 62030 148
//// 81539 Munich, Germany        \\ `           Fax: +49 89 62030 113
  \\
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Art Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 10:09:29 -0800

I put mine in /Applications/fvwm (way non-standard, I know, but it's a separate disk), and I believe I just edited configure.h with the appropriate paths(I think it is included by imake).

I can email you more info when I go home later, if you need it.

-a.

----------
From: 	Stephen Riehm[SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent: 	Wednesday, February 28, 1996 10:36 AM
To: 	[email-masked]
Subject: 	FVWM: problems installing fvwm

Hi fvwm-users,

thanks in advance,

Steve