Subject: Re: FVWM: patch to SmartPlacement

From: Robert Tarrall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 1996 13:11:52 -0700

Nicholas Vargish wrote:
-> I was going through my mailbox clearing stuff out, and I was re-reading
-> this thread and thinking... What I'd really like to see is something
-> like Smartplacement, but in addition to avoiding existing windows, it
-> tries _really_ hard not to get between the pointer and the currently
-> focused window.
-> 
-> Something that made new windows avoid the pointer, is what I'm trying
-> to say. :^) I hate it when a new window pops up and eats what I've been
-> typing...

Hmmm... sounds like yet another "Style" addition.  After all, it would also
be nice to specify that some windows *do* come up under the cursor; when I
hit the reply button on my mail handler (exmh) I want the resulting window
to come up under the cursor so I can start typing, not away from the cursor
where I have to go chase it. :-)

			-Robert Tarrall.-
			Unix System/Network Admin
			Laboratory for Computational Dynamics
			CU - Boulder
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Nicholas Vargish <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 1996 13:47:57 -0500

I said:
> -> to say. :^)

And Robert said:
> be nice to specify that some windows *do* come up under the cursor... [snip]

Does thism ean we have to wait until their are more Style bits available?

*sniff* Back to playing with STk...

Nick

 +------------------------------------+  vargish-W died in The Dungeons of     
 | Nick Vargish, BBN Planet (SURAnet) |         Doom on level 2.               
 |   [email-masked]  301/489-8134   |     Killed by a burning book.          
 |    http://www.sura.net/~vargish    |              [NetHack Death #1021]