Subject: FVWM: Fvwm - xpm icons

From: [email-masked] (David Kennedy)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 17:51:57 GMT

I'm having a bit of trouble with xpm icons.
What is the most popular utility for preserving shaped xpm
icons or making them from transparent gifs for example?

Xv tends to leave a lovely rectangle of a solid garish random
colour about my nice new icons. Any help appreciated.

-- 
David Kennedy, Dept. of Pure & Applied Physics, Queen's University of Belfast
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Email: [email-masked] | URL: http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~dcjk/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Chris Rode <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 12:26:27 CST

[email-masked] writes:

} I'm having a bit of trouble with xpm icons.
} What is the most popular utility for preserving shaped xpm
} icons or making them from transparent gifs for example?
} 
} Xv tends to leave a lovely rectangle of a solid garish random
} colour about my nice new icons. Any help appreciated.

bring the xpm file up in a text editor, locate the character
representing the background color, and change the color entry to "none".
i.e.,

/* XPM */
static char *MtDew[] = {
/* width height num_colors chars_per_pixel */
"    21    38        9            1",
/* colors */
". c none",
"# c #808080",

where a . makes up the backround in this particular image...

--chris.

--
chris rode - [email-masked]                -- Help Room Consultant
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~crode/         -- 138 Durham Center, 294-1314
"why don't we just have a stupidity    depeche mode, erasure, moby, new order,
 tax? just tax the stupid people!"     pet shop boys and recoil rock my world.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: root <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 14:41:14 -0500 (EST)

> colour about my nice new icons. Any help appreciated.

Use pixmap, the program to xpm as bitmap is to xbm.  But, I have 
intermittent (many) problems with it.  I get segmentation faults, odd 
unknown crashes, etc.  But, it is worth the hassel to get transparent 
(NONE) pixels.  Of course, if anyone knows of a better one for Linux, let 
us know.

David Johnson
[email-masked]

---

From: Sean Kelly <kelly@yarmouth>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 12:57:59 -0700

>>>>> "David" == root  <[email-masked]> writes:

    >>  I'm having a bit of trouble with xpm icons.  What is the most
    >> popular utility for preserving shaped xpm icons or making them
    >> from transparent gifs for example?

    David> Use pixmap, the program to xpm as bitmap is to xbm.  But, I
    David> have intermittent (many) problems with it.  I get
    David> segmentation faults, odd unknown crashes, etc.  But, it is
    David> worth the hassel to get transparent (NONE) pixels.  Of
    David> course, if anyone knows of a better one for Linux, let us
    David> know.

I prefer xpaint.  While it's not for Linux but for Unix systems in
general, I'm sure you can compile it on Linux.  I know it works on
FreeBSD 2.1 and HP/UX 9 and 10.

xpaint had a number of nifty tools like a spray can and region
embosser, and it works with the TrueColor visual (xpaint -24).

It can save XPM format but doesn't support transparent colors.  But,
it's easy to workaround that limitation.  Just reserve a color that
you want to be transparent, then edit the XPM file with a text editor.
Change the color entry in the file to

	"       s None  c None",

and it'll be transparent.

-- 
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

I had a friend who was a clown.  When he died, all his friends went to
the funeral in one car. -- Steven Wright
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Brandon M. Browning" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 12:28:02 -0800 (PST)

> FreeBSD 2.1 and HP/UX 9 and 10.

Xpaint works under Linux; my Slackware came with it.  It has been known to
bomb occasionally, but it's quite functional. 

-- Brandon Browning                                                           )
   Student System Administrator at Pacific University                        (
   http://tardis.pacificu.edu/~browninb/                                    c[]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Nothing's the same any more." 
	-- Sinclair, "Chrysalis"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: root <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 15:38:22 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 20 Feb 1996, Brandon M. Browning wrote:

> -- Brandon Browning                                            

Yes, I tried xpaint, once I was sort-of understanding the way to text edit 
the xpm file, and I tried to open a file pixmap had problems with (my 
netscape icon), and it too crashed.  I guess it's either a problem with 
the pixmap, or something is wrong with my Xpm library.  But, it's the new 
one, and the pixmap shows up fine.  I don't know what's wrong.  Could 
someone briefly explain what could cause a segmentation fault while 
loading a pixmap?