Subject: FVWM: Just an idea, desktop lock on the mousecursor..

From: Andy Eskilsson <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Feb 1996 13:57:30 +0100

I just had this bright(?) idea, when switching desktop with the keys,
why not save the position of the mouse cursor, and restore it next
time I pass that desktop? 

Is it something that only I need or?

The reason why I would like this is that sometimes I work with the
xtem up to the right in one desktop, and my emacs to the left in the
other desktop (and also trying to migrate from the mouse) so when I
have to write something in the other window I have to move the desktop
and then move the mouse.

And clicktofocus is _no_ alternative.

	/andy

-- 
 Don't walk in front of me, I might be unable to follow you.
 Don't walk after me, I might be unable to lead you.
 Just walk by my side and be my friend.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 10:57:41 -0500

My solution to this problem was to have my keys that do GotoPage and
Desk run a function that also calls Next so that the window on that
page (I typically only have one) gets focus when I enter it.  It's
mildly annoying if there's more than one window on the page and the
"wrong" one gets selected, but another keystroke on a key bound to
Next takes care of it.  Here's the relevant stuff from my .fvwm2rc:

Style "Fvwm*" CirculateSkip
Style "XBuffy" CirculateSkip
Style "*lock" CirculateSkip
Style "XSession" CirculateSkip
Style "XConsole" CirculateSkip

AddToFunc page-and-warp "I" GotoPage $0 $1
+ "I" Next [!iconic CurrentScreen CurrentDesk] Focus

AddToFunc desk-and-warp "I" Desk $0 $1
+ "I" Next [!iconic CurrentScreen CurrentDesk] Focus

The CirculateSkip Styles ensure that only "important" windows get the
focus.

Hope this helps,
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Andy Eskilsson <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Feb 1996 17:03:46 +0100

/ Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]> wrote:
| 
| Hope this helps,

Naah, I was mostly looking for built-in support for this, it is not
always easy to determine what windows are worth locking onto..

	/andy

---

From: Mark Boyns <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Feb 1996 09:50:31 -0800

>>>>> "Andy" == Andy Eskilsson <[email-masked]> writes:

    Andy> The reason why I would like this is that sometimes I work
    Andy> with the xtem up to the right in one desktop, and my emacs
    Andy> to the left in the other desktop (and also trying to migrate
    Andy> from the mouse) so when I have to write something in the
    Andy> other window I have to move the desktop and then move the
    Andy> mouse.

This is similar to an AutoFocus idea I had.  I think it would be nice
if an AutoFocus module would change focus to the largest window when
switching pages/desktops.  It's sorta silly to move to a new page with
only one window and have to manually adjust the focus.

-- 
Mark Boyns <[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.sdsu.edu/~boyns/>
PGP fingerprint = D3 28 A2 F7 D1 4C F8 EE  BF 7A 11 54 1C E5 6E CC
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Riehm)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 19:32:43 +0100 (MEZ)

Hi fvwm coders,

> only one window and have to manually adjust the focus.

First thing to be said: I haven't actually used fvwm yet - so if this
feature exists already - please be kind and simply tell me so - if
not, maybe this is food for thought...

There are many different ways to set the focus on windows,
unfortunately, most people only know about the mouse - which leaves me
a little in the dark, because the other methods tend to be sparsely
explored (under-developed). Till now I've been using mwm - and I've
been able to jump between windows by binding keystrokes with the
f.next_key / f.prev_key functions. This works just great, as long as
the windows are stacked properly, then I can go to the window to the
right by pressing <WM><right>, and vise-versa. This breaks down
however when the windows are out of order, then pressing <WM><right>
suddenly warps my focus to the left, or to the clock, xbiff or xload.
(I can use the mouse to bring the windows into the right order, but
that's a pain compared to the single keystroke option)

It would be REALLY nice to have a visually based warping function, so
that you could jump to the "next window to the right" - or perhaps you
could define a circular function, so you could warp in a clockwise or
anti-clockwise direction.

how this relates to multiple desktops, I don't know (never needed them).

just my few cents worth :-)

PS: my <WM> key is simply a remapped otherwise useless Caps_Lock key :-)

Steve
_______________________________ ._ o  ________________________________
//   Stephen Riehm             /  //\.            [email-masked]
\\\\ Sommerstr 17             '  \>> |          Work: +49 89 62030 148
//// 81543 Munich, Germany        \\ `          Home: +49 89  651 9658
  \\
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Laurie Kramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 14:00:03 -0500 (EST)

> not, maybe this is food for thought...
 [snip]
> anti-clockwise direction.

There is a 'CursorMove' function.  I have the following defined:

# press arrow + control key, and move the pointer by 1/3 of a page
Key Left        A       C       CursorMove -33 +0
Key Right       A       C       CursorMove +33 +0
Key Up          A       C       CursorMove +0   -33
Key Down        A       C       CursorMove +0   +33

The things we'll do to avoid reaching over to that mouse...

Laurie Kramer
[email-masked]
http://info.gdb.org/~laurie

---

From: Tudor Hulubei <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 21:07:10 +0200

> The CirculateSkip Styles ensure that only "important" windows get the

I did precisely the same thing in my .fvwm2rc file.  It is an ugly
hack, though, as everything gets crazy when I create more than one 
window in a screen.  I think fvwm should restore the focus on the
window that previously had it in the screen we are switching to.

Tudor

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Nation 885-9815)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 96 16:19:38 EST

You wanted:
>> + "I" Prev [!iconic CurrentScreen CurrentDesk] Focus
>> 
>> + "I" Prev [!iconic CurrentScreen CurrentDesk] Focus

I think that works as requested.

Rob

---

From: Tudor Hulubei <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 00:26:43 +0200

> I think that works as requested.

It doesn't.  If I have two windows in a Screen, every time I switch to
that screen, the Prev window in that Screen will get the focus.  It is
really annoying.  A somehow better solution is to use this:

AddToFunc GotoPageFocus
+	"I"	GotoPage $0 $1

but is is much slower (I have a very old & slow video card) and the
fact that I have to set the focus first on the Prev window and then on
the Next window is visible.  I guess it would be nice to be able to do
something like:

AddToFunc GotoPageFocus
+	"I"	GotoPage $0 $1
+	"I"	Current [!iconic CurrentScreen CurrentDesk] Focus
		^^^^^^^

Regards,
Tudor

P.S.
With or without this, fvwm is just great :-)

---

From: Henrique Martins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 16:14:02 -0800

> really annoying.  A somehow better solution is to use this:

  I think this is not absolutely correct, and that it depends on the
  position on the screen of each set of windows, i.e one can get the
  desired or undesired effect, depending on where the windows are. 

  For a neat undesirable trick, place a window in such a way that it
  straddles two workspaces and try switching between them.  In some
  situations you can end up in the same workspace you started from,
  courtesy of Focus!

  -- Henrique

P.S.:
  It's amazing how one comes up with almost the same solutions as everyone
  else. My functions even had very similar names, i.e. GoToPageAndFocus
  instead of GoToPage.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].