Subject: FVWM: Not another TO-DO!

From: "Alan Wild" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 11:28:07 -0800 (PST)

ARGH!

Sorry, I have to suggest it.

Although, generally speaking, I perfer the simplicity of twm over mwm,
there is one mwm feature I wish fvwm could use. . . . 

In mwm pull-down menus, if you click on a sub menu, that sub-menu remain
up and neither window will disappear until you select something from the
sub-menu or you re-click on somethign from the main window.

i.e.

+--------------+
| Xstuff       |
+==============+
| foo          |
| bar        > |
| goo          |
| blue         |
| shoe       > |
| moo          |
+--------------+

If this pull-down is bound to a left click on the root window, it will
pop up and remain until either something is selected or you re-click on
the title.

I want to be click on "bar" and get the following menu.

+--------------+
| Xstuff       |
+==============+
| foo          +--------------+
|#bar########>#| bar          |
| goo          +==============+
| blue         | blob         |
| shoe       > | flob         |
| moo          | mob          |
+--------------| cob          |
               | job          |
               +--------------+

This menu configuration will remain until I select something from either
menu or I click on the root again to kill both menus.

In short, play aronud with your netscape bookmarks (or any other Motif
program you have sitting around).

I don't think this would be a complicated change becasue fvwm already
does this except when pass the pointer over another option in the Xstuff
menu.  I only want the menu to disappear if you explicity click on
something in the Xstuff window.  Of course, if I really knew the complexity 
of this kind of change, I would hack out the diff myself.

Actually, I think this should be the behavior for MwmMenus.  I
also wish (as someone previously suggested) that the windows will
automatically draw to the left instead of to the right if there is not
enough space.  Although I don't think mwm does this, nobody said we
can't improve on the concept.  :)

If this is already possible and I just drew all that ASCII for nothing,
someone please correct me.

Thanks,

-Alan
-- 
Alan Wild
Office Phone:	(503)677-4538
[email-masked]
f/s/c  [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].