Subject: FVWM: help in installing fvwm

From: Paul Lynch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 15:35:45 -0500 (EST)

I seem to be encountering some problems with installing fvwm.  I should 
probably start off by saying that I don't have root privs, and am 
therefor trying to install fvwm purely within the confines of my 
account.  I got to the point of make all, but for some reason the gcc 
command in the make files has a -xF on it and my gcc compiler says it 
doesn't understand the language F.  Can someone help walk me through the 
process a little further?  It would be greatly appreciated.

					Paul

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Lynch			|	[email-masked]
Computer Science Major		|	[email-masked]
Millersville University		|       http://cs.millersv.edu/~jplynch/
------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mike Blatchley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 17:42:47 -0700 (MST)

> process a little further?  It would be greatly appreciated.

The -xF is an option that is in my Sun's configuration files, but the gcc
compiler does not understand it.  Hopefully, the compilation proceeds in
spite of the compiler complaining, and you can ignore them (that's the
simple fix!!!).  But if you really get tired of seeing the error messages,
you can create a 'site.def' file to override the settings for your
computer.  

First, find the site.def and other imake configuration files on your
system (on my Sun, they're in /usr/openwin/lib/config).  Put a copy of 
site.def in one of your local directories so you can edit it.  Mine has a 
'HasGcc' option that I can set in the 'BeforeVendorCF' section:

#define HasGcc YES

To tell xmkmf and imake to use this new 'site.def' file, set the 
environment variable IMAKEINCLUDE to: 
 
IMAKEINCLUDE=-I/your_directory_name_here   (i.e., whatever directory you put it in)

Now, doing an 'xmkmf' will use this modified 'site.def' file.  If the 
problem still persists (or you don't seem to have the HasGcc 
option....probably varies from system-to-system), go back to the 
configuration directory and grep for 'xF':

$ grep xF *
Imake.tmpl:#define OptimizedCDebugFlags -O -xF
Imake.tmpl:#define DebuggableCDebugFlags -g -DDEBUG -xF
sun.cf:#define DefaultCCOptions -DSYSV -DSVR4 -xF -Wa,-cg92

On my system, HasGcc took care of 'DefaultCCOptions', but after looking at
Imake.tmpl file, I still had to override the other two.  In the AfterVendorCF
section of site.def, you would add lines *such as*: (again, all these
configuration files are different, so look at yours and edit appropriately): 

#ifdef OptimizedCDebugFlags
#undef OptimizedCDebugFlags
#endif
#define OptimizedCDebugFlags -O   (without the -xF!!!)

#ifdef DebuggableCDebugFlags
#undef DebuggableCDebugFlags
#endif
#define DebuggableCDebugFlags -g -DDEBUG 

This works for me.  Or, you could just ignore the 'language F not recognized'
warnings .... :-)

Hope this helps you out.

Mike Blatchley
[email-masked]