Subject: FVWM: New Official FVWM WWW page!

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 17:22:40 -0500

Howdy Boys & Girls,

I'm announcing the new Official FVWM WWW page!  Please check out:

                     http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/

and let me know what you think.  It's certainly not complete, but it's
a good start, I think.  After I get some feedback and polish it up a
little more I'll announce it to the rest of the world.

And Thanks to Jason for setting me up with the space to put it on
hpc.uh.edu!

Later,
Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're
  [email-masked],              just havin' a nightmare--of course,
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    we are still in Hell." Gary Larson
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (ric)
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 16:32:18 -0800

Hi Chuck.  Thanks so much for putting out the fvwm WEB page.  I have
been using fvwm 1.24 for about a year and don't know how I ever got
by without it.  About 3 months ago I tried one of the 2.x beta
releases.  I eventually decided not to use it because it seemed 
to me that:

Iconified stick xterm clients were the same color as non-sticky ones.
I couldn't change this.  Is there now a way?

Iconified clients in 1.24 tended to get put on unused parts of the root
window.  I made this the upper right corner.  In the 2.x version I looked
at, I could iconify something and it would sometimes disappear, under
some other client, and I couldn't easily find it.

Deiconifying clients resulted in their being placed on the bottom of the
stacking order, instead of the top in 2.x.  Has this behavior changed?
I would like deiconified clients to appear on the top of the stack.

I confess, I'm not even close to an fvwm expert.  I did read some 
directions, and try to get the desired behavior, and failed.
So, either I can't get what I want becuase it is no longer possible
or, I just didn't try enough things.

If you have any brief comments about this, I would really appreciate
it.  I'd like to move on to version 2.x, but I really need the
above features first.

regards,

Ric Steinberger
Senior Software Engineer
[email-masked]

"We figured it 17 different ways, and every way we figured it, somebody
 didn't like the way we figured it!"   Buddy Hackett 
                                       It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

---

From: Gerhard den Hollander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 12:17:23 +0100 (MET)

> little more I'll announce it to the rest of the world.

I am sorry,
I van not browse the WWW.
I do have a question for you though,
is there allready a ``official'' (non-beta) release of fvwm 2?

Im looking forward to install fvwm 2 on our systems, but since that
involves 4 different platforms (maybe even five if I cannot run tha
aix3.2.5 binary on aix4.1.4) I'd rather wiat for a stable (or at least
non-beta) version to come out.

Thanks

	Gerhard,  [@jason.nl]   == The Acoustic Motorbiker ==
 --
   __O	twas brillig, and the slithy toves,
 =`\<,	did gyre and gimbel in the wabe,
(=)/(=)	all mimsy were the borogoves,
	and the momeraths outgrabe.

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 10:29:34 -0500

>>>>> "Gerhard" == Gerhard den Hollander <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I'm announcing the new Official FVWM WWW page!  Please check out:

Gerhard> I am sorry,
Gerhard> I van not browse the WWW.
Gerhard> I do have a question for you though,
Gerhard> is there allready a ``official'' (non-beta) release of fvwm 2?

Nope, not yet.  It's still beta.  Standard response:

  I hope to have the First Official 2.xx Version (it'll be 2.1.0) out
  "Real Soon Now". It requires a little more polishing, like Doc
  updates, Compile/Install procedure fixes, some more bugfixes, etc.

Gerhard> Im looking forward to install fvwm 2 on our systems, but since that
Gerhard> involves 4 different platforms (maybe even five if I cannot run tha
Gerhard> aix3.2.5 binary on aix4.1.4) I'd rather wiat for a stable (or at least
Gerhard> non-beta) version to come out.

I hope that the AIX 3.2.5 will run under 4.1.4, but I was told by
some people around here that it didn't for them.

Anyways, there are some more changes coming up soon, and I hope for
that to be the release that helps me polish up the last little bit for
the first official 2.xx release.

Chuck