Subject: FVWM: Placement Styles don't work

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 11:12:06 +0100 (MET)

Hi!

I am using fvwm2.0.39 on an SGI Indigo (IRIX 5.3).

In my .fvwm2rc I got those lines:  (in this order)
Style "*"           SmartPlacement
Style "winterm"     ActivePlacement
Style "*Test*"      ActivePlacement
Style "*Demo*"      ActivePlacement

I expected that all windows except the last three types would
be placed "smart".  But in fact, *all* windows are placed "smart".
Is there something I didn't do right or is this a bug?

What I was trying to do is to get some windows from just placing
themselves into the upper left hand corner.  For example all my
own Motif programs do that, which is really annoying.  Even when
I specify
Style "*"           ActivePlacement
all those windows are placed there.  Why???

When I use SGI's window manager (4Dwm) the windows are placed
somewhere else.  So somehow the window manager must have to do
with that.

Can anyone help me with that please?

Please reply by personal email, since I am no longer on the FVWM
mailing list.  (too much work to do)

Thanks a lot in advance,
 Andy.
___________________________________________________________________________
  Andy Spiegl, Institute for Applied Mathematics
  University of Technology, Muenchen, Germany
  E-Mail: [email-masked]
  URL:    http://www.appl-math.tu-muenchen.de/~spiegl

Above all else - sky.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 11:54:48 +0000

On Thu, 15 Feb 1996 11:12:06 +0100 (MET)
[email-masked] 
> Is there something I didn't do right or is this a bug?

I'm using 2.0.40 on an Indigo 2 IRIX 6.1. Not really played with
SmartPlacement much. I'll give it a try. 

> own Motif programs do that, which is really annoying.  Even when

Ditto, all my motif programs do that too. I just assumed I was doing
something stupid in my code :-) 

Also, something which annoys me ... some windows never have title bars
whatever I try to do with Style. Particularly Mosaic and Matlab plot windows.
This problem doesn't seem to occur with other window managers. Am I missing
something basic here?

Ric

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Richard J. Lister    [email-masked] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Research Assistant, Neural Computing Research Group
                  Aston University, Birmingham B4 7ET, UK
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.ncrg.aston.ac.uk/~listerrj/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Feb 1996 13:20:18 +0100

Andy> Style "*"           SmartPlacement
  Andy> Style "winterm"     ActivePlacement
  Andy> Style "*Test*"      ActivePlacement
  Andy> Style "*Demo*"      ActivePlacement

Isn't it that the first matching line counts?  Have you tried
reversing the order of the lines?

        kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 08:47:17 -0500

>>>>> "Ric" == Richard Lister <[email-masked]> writes:

Ric> On Thu, 15 Feb 1996 11:12:06 +0100 (MET)
Ric> [email-masked]
>> Is there something I didn't do right or is this a bug?

Ric> I'm using 2.0.40 on an Indigo 2 IRIX 6.1. Not really played with
Ric> SmartPlacement much. I'll give it a try.

It's probably due to PPosition info for these windows.  Try changing
the first line to:

Style "*" SmartPlacement, NoPPostion

>> own Motif programs do that, which is really annoying.  Even when

Ric> Ditto, all my motif programs do that too. I just assumed I was doing
Ric> something stupid in my code :-)

Try the above style line and see if it helps.  I'm kind of suprised
though, since I don't believe that my motif programs that I've written
ever exhibited this behavior under fvwm...

Ric> Also, something which annoys me ... some windows never have title
Ric> bars whatever I try to do with Style. Particularly Mosaic and
Ric> Matlab plot windows.  This problem doesn't seem to occur with
Ric> other window managers. Am I missing something basic here?

Try this:

Style "*" DecorateTransient

Chuck

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 08:48:11 -0500

>>>>> "Kai" == Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]> writes:

Kai> Isn't it that the first matching line counts?  Have you tried
Kai> reversing the order of the lines?

Order shouldn't matter.  The more specific ones should have
precedence.

Chuck

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 12:06:52 +0000

On Thu, 15 Feb 1996 08:47:17 -0500
chuck_hines <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines) 
> ever exhibited this behavior under fvwm...

Style "*" NoPPosition
fixes this motif problem for me. I guess I need
to go and rtfm and figure out what's going on. 

> Style "*" DecorateTransient

No, that didn't fix the problem with Mosaic, but something else did. For
some reason (no idea why) I had a line
Style "shell"       NoTitle
which was hitting Mosaic (because it has Resource: shell ???). 

Thanks Chuck.
Ric

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 10:58:12 +0100 (MET)

Hi, FVWM-fans!

Thanks a lot for all your answers.  The very first one that I got

> Style "*" SmartPlacement, NoPPostion

That was it!  I wonder why "NoPPostion" isn't mentioned in the 
man page (fvwm2.0.39).  Could you please put it in there?

> Order shouldn't matter.  The more specific ones should have

So, why don't they, Chuck?

Thanks, y'all for your help!
 Andy.

Above all else - sky.

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 09:11:19 -0500

>>>>> "Andy" == spiegl  <[email-masked]> writes:

Andy> Hi, FVWM-fans!
Andy> Thanks a lot for all your answers.  The very first one that I got

>> Style "*" SmartPlacement, NoPPostion

Andy> That was it!  I wonder why "NoPPostion" isn't mentioned in the
Andy> man page (fvwm2.0.39).  Could you please put it in there?

I did a lot of doc updates this weekend for the next release (2.0.41)
which I'll hopefully get out today after a little more testing.  This
is in there now.

>> Order shouldn't matter.  The more specific ones should have

Andy> So, why don't they, Chuck?

I misspoke slightly there...  I believe it's actually more of a
combination of more specific and order.  But the above order is
correct. "*" should always come first, otherwise it'll augment or
override everything else.

As for why those other ones weren't being placed Actively, I don't
know.  I'll have to investigate that some.

Chuck

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Nation 885-9815)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 96 15:40:03 EST

>> Order shouldn't matter.  The more specific ones should have

I think you're all partially right and wrong!

Fvwm applies ALL matching styles to each window. This way
Style "*" NoTitle
Style "emacs" NoPPosition
will result in an emacs window with NoPPosition and NoTitle.

In the event that there is a conflict, I believe that the last match is used:
Style "*" ActivePlacement
Style "emacs" RandomPlacement
results in emacs being randomplacement.

BUT ActivePlacement and SmartPlacement do not conflict. RandomPlacement
and SmartPlacement don't conflict either. The rule is, use smartplacement,
but if you can only find a dumb place to put the window, then revert
to active (or random) placement. Another way to think of it is that
there are 4 placement options
dumb Random
dumb Active
smart Random
smart Active

Hope this helps

Rob

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 11:08:21 +0100 (MET)

Alexander Sorg <[email-masked]> wrote:
> if i get the manpage right there are two different switches:
> 
> SmartPlacement/DumbPlacement
> and
> RandomPlacement/ActivePlacement
> 
> therefore all you windows are placed "smart" which overrides the active 
> placement
> for the last two. i'm not sure but try:
> 
> Style "*Test*"      ActivePlacement,DumbPlacement
> Style "*Demo*"      ActivePlacement,DumbPlacement
> 
> which should turn off the SmartPlacement explicitly.

That's the solution!!!  Great, thanks a lot!

Bye,
 Andy.

Above all else - sky.