Subject: FVWM: Re: beta 2.0.41 released

From: [email-masked] (Richard York)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 96 11:59:18 GMT

Hi, I'm having build problems with this. I think the escaping of the
definitions on the gcc command line is going a bit wrong:

gcc -fpcc-struct-return -c -O2     -I. -I../libs  -I/usr/local/X11R6/include      -DSHAPE -DXPM   -DFVWM_ICONDIR=\"/usr/local/X11R6/include/X11/bitmaps \:/usr/local/X11R6/include/X11/fvwm/bitmaps\"  -DFVWMDIR=\"/usr/local/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm2\"  -DFVWMRC=\".fvwm2rc\" builtins.c
gcc: :/usr/local/X11R6/include/X11/fvwm/bitmaps": No such file or directory
builtins.c:0: unterminated string or character constant
builtins.c:0: possible real start of unterminated constant

In Fvwm.tmpl I have:

#define FvwmIconPath /usr/local/X11R6/include/X11/bitmaps \:/usr/local/X11R6/inc
lude/X11/fvwm/bitmaps

However if I remove the space in front of the colon it builds correctly.
Perhaps a comment to this effect in the .tmpl file would be useful?

Also we are having problem with swallowing stuff into the FvwmButtons
module. I'm getting people to upgrade to version2, and even after a lot
of hacking he can't get it to work with version2. Here the relevant section
of his config is given below. Any help would be much appreciated.

	Best wishes,

		Richard.

############################################################################
# FvwmButtons
############################################################################

# Colours
*FvwmButtonsFore Black
*FvwmButtonsBack #908090

# Font
*FvwmButtonsFont -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

# Geometry - really likes to pick its own size, but giving a position is OK
*FvwmButtonsGeometry -1-1

# Layout: specify rows or columns, not both
*FvwmButtonsRows 2

*FvwmButtons -  whatever
+ Swallow "xclock" Exec xclock -bg \#908090 -geometry -1500-1500 -padding 0

*FvwmButtons XEmacs lemacs.xpm 
+ Exec "Emacs" xemacs &

*FvwmButtons Netscape netscape2.xpm
+ Exec "Netscape" netscape -install &

*FvwmButtons -  whatever 
+ Swallow "xbiff" Exec xbiff -bg black -fg \#908090 -xrm "xbiff*CheckCommand: nncheck -Q arm. > /dev/null 2> /dev/null"

*FvwmButtons(4x1) - whatever 
+ SwallowModule "Fvwm Pager" FvwmPager 0 3

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 09:10:21 -0500

>>>>> "Richard" == Richard York <[email-masked]> writes:

Richard> Hi, I'm having build problems with this. I think the escaping
Richard> of the definitions on the gcc command line is going a bit
Richard> wrong:
....
Richard> gcc: :/usr/local/X11R6/include/X11/fvwm/bitmaps": No such file or directory
Richard> builtins.c:0: unterminated string or character constant
Richard> builtins.c:0: possible real start of unterminated constant

Richard> In Fvwm.tmpl I have:

Richard> #define FvwmIconPath /usr/local/X11R6/include/X11/bitmaps \:/usr/local/X11R6/include/X11/fvwm/bitmaps

Richard> However if I remove the space in front of the colon it builds
Richard> correctly.  Perhaps a comment to this effect in the .tmpl
Richard> file would be useful?

I will put a comment about that in there for the next release, but
since the example line for that included in the Fvwm.tmpl doesn't have
a space it it, I wouldn't expect too many people to have a problem
with this.

Richard> Also we are having problem with swallowing stuff into the
Richard> FvwmButtons module. I'm getting people to upgrade to
Richard> version2, and even after a lot of hacking he can't get it to
Richard> work with version2. Here the relevant section of his config
Richard> is given below. Any help would be much appreciated.
....
Richard> *FvwmButtons(4x1) - whatever
Richard> + SwallowModule "Fvwm Pager" FvwmPager 0 3

The problem is your usage of the "+".  It is not a generic line
continuation character.  As it states in the man page, it can only be
used to continue function and menu definitions.  Keep the lines
together, like so:

  *FvwmButtons(4x1) - whatever SwallowModule "Fvwm Pager" FvwmPager 0 3

and things should start working better.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're
  [email-masked],              just havin' a nightmare--of course,
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    we are still in Hell." Gary Larson
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].