Subject: FVWM: Re: HP-UX compilation

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 08:55:39 -0500

>>>>> "Shrijeet" == Shrijeet Mukherjee <[email-masked]> writes:

Shrijeet> I seem to be getting some really hairy stuff trying to
Shrijeet> compile fvwm under hp-ux release 9.0 and 10.0 ...with gcc
Shrijeet> and gmake ..

Shrijeet> The errors are sometimes really hairy ..do you know anybody
Shrijeet> who actually got it to compile under hp-ux ..

There are some people on the FVWM mailing list that have, I believe.
Anyone out there who can help Shirjeet?

I do have access to some HP (UX 9) machines here, but they've been
pretty flaky lately and I haven't tried to compile fvwm on them.  If I
get a chance some day I will, just for grins.

Chuck
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 15:01:37 GMT

I am running fvwm under HPUX 9.03.

What were the errors you got?

-- 
Mark Powell, Senior Software Engineer <[email-masked]>
Primagraphics Limited, Graphics Court, Melbourn Science Park,
Melbourn, Royston, Herts SG8 6EJ, England. Tel. +44 1763 262041
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Henrique Martins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 1996 08:29:46 -0800

> Shrijeet> who actually got it to compile under hp-ux ..

  I've been using and compiling fvwm on HP-UX since version 0.99
  something.  I've always used HP's C compiler and make.  I can't remember
  when was the last time it didn't compile out of the box.

  -- Henrique ([email-masked])

---

From: Mark Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 17:12:35 GMT

> Date: Fri, 09 Feb 1996 08:29:46 -0800
> From: Henrique Martins <[email-masked]>
> 

What do you do for imake?

My HPUX 9.03 doesn't have it, I had to install X11R5. Is this normal for
HPUX?

---

From: Mark Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 1996 17:12:35 +0000 (GMT)

---

From: Shrijeet Mukherjee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 11:10:59 -0800 (PST)

> What were the errors you got?

Thanx guys , and specially Mike and Henrique ..the problem has now 
been fixed ...

The problem was , I was using gmake and gmake seems to be broken in 
our installation ..

I used HP make and Gcc , and it now compiles and runs fine ..

--

---------------------------------------------------------
Shrijeet Mukherjee,           	 230,Deschutes Hall, CIS
				 University of Oregon
 				 Eugene , OR 97403
			(off)	 call : 541-346-1383
			(res)    call : 541-342-1812	
Graduate Teaching Fellow,
Area of Interest : Computer Graphics, Image Proc
http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/~shm  email:[email-masked]   
---------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Henrique Martins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 1996 11:51:32 -0800

> What do you do for imake?

  (-: Not an official HP response or advertisement :-)

  Imake used to be available on a HP ftp server accessible from the
  "outside" (hpcvaaz.cv.hp.com).  The current imake I have, may or not have
  been obtained there, as I've installed a few different versions from a
  few different (HP) places, some that work on my system, some that don't,
  that I've lost track.

  Same goes for Xaw and Xmu, which along with imake, HP doesn't ship on
  9.0x, and rather points to public sites.  This may have changed at 10.x,
  but I'm not sure what the "official line" is.  A good place to get HP-UX
  stuff is at the archives maintained by the University of Liverpool, which
  are mirrored at the University of Wisconsin, and a few other places,
  http://hpux.cae.wisc.edu, http://hpux.csc.liv.ac.uk, etc.

> My HPUX 9.03 doesn't have it, I had to install X11R5. Is this normal for

  X11R5 development is probably an optional product, as is the "real C"
  compiler, for example.  X11R5 run time libraries is probably part of the
  core HP-UX, as is the brain dead C compiler used to regen the kernel.

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 14:59:23 -0500

>>>>> "Henrique" == Henrique Martins <[email-masked]> writes:

Henrique>   (-: Not an official HP response or advertisement :-)

Henrique>   Imake used to be available on a HP ftp server accessible
Henrique>   from the "outside" (hpcvaaz.cv.hp.com).  The current imake
Henrique>   I have, may or not have been obtained there, as I've
Henrique>   installed a few different versions from a few different
Henrique>   (HP) places, some that work on my system, some that don't,
Henrique>   that I've lost track.

Henrique>   Same goes for Xaw and Xmu, which along with imake, HP
Henrique>   doesn't ship on 9.0x, and rather points to public sites.
Henrique>   This may have changed at 10.x, but I'm not sure what the
Henrique>   "official line" is.  A good place to get HP-UX stuff is at
Henrique>   the archives maintained by the University of Liverpool,
Henrique>   which are mirrored at the University of Wisconsin, and a
Henrique>   few other places, http://hpux.cae.wisc.edu,
Henrique>   http://hpux.csc.liv.ac.uk, etc.

>> My HPUX 9.03 doesn't have it, I had to install X11R5. Is this normal for

Henrique>   X11R5 development is probably an optional product, as is
Henrique>   the "real C" compiler, for example.  X11R5 run time
Henrique>   libraries is probably part of the core HP-UX, as is the
Henrique>   brain dead C compiler used to regen the kernel.

If you don't mind, I'd like to put your response for this problem in
the FAQ.  Other people in the past have had the same problem, so it's
probably not a bad idea...

Chuck