Subject: FVWM: resize color question

From: Jonathan Watson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 08:30:04 -0500 (EST)

This question is more of a general X question that an FVWM question, but 
I have heard it mentioned in discussions here that have to do with 
resizing windows....Anyway here goes:

	Is there an easy way of specifying the color window manager uses 
when resizing a window in 'rubber band' mode?? The standard is 
black....This causes a problem for me because I like to work with a solid 
black background and I can't see the 'rubber band' outline of the 
window.....I have seen SOME apps use non-black outlines but haven't been 
able to find an xdefalult or widget setting that changes this. I wasn't 
sure if it was an X setting or a windowmanager controlable option. As far 
as color goes...any thing that shows up well will work for me....

	TIA,
		Jon Watson
*-------------------------------------------*-------------------------------*
| The MITRE Corporation			    | Northeastern University       |
| D086 Advanced Systems - Signal Processing | Boston,  Mass., USA.          |
| Bedford, Mass., USA.			    | College of Engineering (EE)   |
|        [email-masked]	 	    |    [email-masked]  |
*-------------------------------------------*-------------------------------*

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 13:16:25 -0500

The XORvalue fvwm setting can change the way it makes the rubber
bands.  I set mine to 11 which does a pretty good job of making the
rubberband visible on all my windows no matter what background they
have.  You can experiment with different values until you find one you
like.
Dave Goldberg (G022)
[email-masked]
MS B305
Bedford x3887

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 15:38:47 -0500

>>>>> "Jon" == Jonathan Watson <[email-masked]> writes:

Jon> This question is more of a general X question that an FVWM
Jon> question, but I have heard it mentioned in discussions here that
Jon> have to do with resizing windows....Anyway here goes:

Jon>    Is there an easy way of specifying the color window manager
Jon> uses when resizing a window in 'rubber band' mode?? The standard
Jon> is black....This causes a problem for me because I like to work
Jon> with a solid black background and I can't see the 'rubber band'
Jon> outline of the window.....I have seen SOME apps use non-black
Jon> outlines but haven't been able to find an xdefalult or widget
Jon> setting that changes this. I wasn't sure if it was an X setting
Jon> or a windowmanager controlable option. As far as color goes...any
Jon> thing that shows up well will work for me....

Actually, this is an fvwm question and not a general X question, since
it is the window manager that draws these outlines.

RTFM - from the fvwm2.man page:

          XORvalue number
               Changes the value with which bits are XOR'ed when doing
               rubber-band window moving or resizing.  Setting this
               value is a trial-and-error process.

So, you could try setting this in your .fvwm2rc to see if it helps.
Here's what I have and it works ok for me with my solid black
background too:

                              XORValue 1

But then, the default value of 255 works for me ok too, so I don't
know if it'll help you or not.

I'm also a little confused as to why it's different for some apps
during the same session...

Chuck