Subject: FVWM: tkgoodstuff Pager client

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 16:17:00 -0500

This is the first message to the tkgoodstuff list (and it's being sent
also to the fvwm list).  Welcome everybody!

This is to alert you to some new stuff and changes in the in-progress
4.1b5 tkgoodstuff (which works only with the just-released tcl7.5b1
and tk4.1b1).

The most interesting new thing is a new client "Pager" by Eric Kahler
that, like WindowList (which is now a client) works only when
tkgoodstuff is used as an fvwm module (tkgoodstuff must be executed as
a module by fvwm).  The Pager shows miniature versions of each fvwm
desktop.  It doesn't draw little windows like the FvwmPager module,
but lights up the pages that have windows on them, and shows you which
page/desktop you're on.  It allows you to
switch pages/desktops, and you can move a window to an arbitrary
window/desktop by dragging with mouse button 2 from the window's
button in the (tkgoodstuff) WindowList.  Eric and I would be
interested in feedback, including about desired additional features.

Notice that the docs for the in-progress tkgoodstuff are not up to
date.  Here is the latest stuff in the CHANGES file:

  NOW tkgoodstuff assumes tk4.1b1 or later (we're aiming at supporting
  the ultimate 4.1 release; and backward compatibility is too much
  work). 

     - Clock, Ical, Jots: use the new "clock" command instead of "exec
     date". 

     - tkgoodstuff: 

       + "create-label-box" renamed to "TKGLabelBox".

       + Use "ps -p [pid]" if "ps [pid]" gives an error, and don't
       assume there's a STAT column in the ps output (thanks
       J. Robinson).

       + Implement TKGAddToHook and TKGDoHook (general hook
       utilities).  Several hooks are defined (for client use) in
       tkgoodstuff, Fvwm.tcl, etc.

       + Change default fonts to non-italic, non-bold.

     - Biff: avoid tcl7.5b1's gets bugs by not doing "gets $f var".

     - New client "Pager" in progress by Eric Kahler.  Check out the
     current version in this distribution.  Needs tkgoodstuff to be
     run as an fvwm module (from the fvwm window manager).

     - The fvwm WindowList feature has become a client.  To call it,
     you now issue "Client WindowList".

     - Fvwm is no longer a client.  Its code is loaded by the WindowList
     and Pager clients as needed.  You will get an error if you load
     it as a client (as you had to in earlier versions).  (NOTE!!!)

     - Fvwm: fvwm's messages are more easily available to clients, we
     maintain a more complete database of the information available
     from fvwm, and we slightly enhanced tkfvwm (the new version of
     tkfvwm4.1 is needed to take advantage of all the information).
     Look at Fvwm.tcl for more info.  These changes were primarily to
     support Eric Kahler's cool Pager client.

     - Ical: Gave one alarm per item per calendar fetch.  Oops.  Stick
     to one per item.

     - Jots: Made widgets behave sensibly under manual resizing (until
     tk4.1b1's empty-frame bug showed up, that is).

Mark Crimmins
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 15:56:36 -0800

->  
->  This is the first message to the tkgoodstuff list (and it's being sent
->  also to the fvwm list).  Welcome everybody!
->  
->  This is to alert you to some new stuff and changes in the in-progress
->  4.1b5 tkgoodstuff (which works only with the just-released tcl7.5b1
->  and tk4.1b1).

	That's a bummer.  I use exmh 1.6.5, and it does not work correctly 
with tcl7.5b1 and tk4.1b1.  There's some discussion about it on the 
exmh-users list.  Guess I'll have to wait until the tk/tcl stuff or 
exmh is fixed before I can continue with beta testing tkgoodstuff.

	Michael

->  
->  The most interesting new thing is a new client "Pager" by Eric Kahler
->  that, like WindowList (which is now a client) works only when
->  tkgoodstuff is used as an fvwm module (tkgoodstuff must be executed as
->  a module by fvwm).  The Pager shows miniature versions of each fvwm
->  desktop.  It doesn't draw little windows like the FvwmPager module,
->  but lights up the pages that have windows on them, and shows you which
->  page/desktop you're on.  It allows you to
->  switch pages/desktops, and you can move a window to an arbitrary
->  window/desktop by dragging with mouse button 2 from the window's
->  button in the (tkgoodstuff) WindowList.  Eric and I would be
->  interested in feedback, including about desired additional features.
->  
->  Notice that the docs for the in-progress tkgoodstuff are not up to
->  date.  Here is the latest stuff in the CHANGES file:
->  
->    NOW tkgoodstuff assumes tk4.1b1 or later (we're aiming at supporting
->    the ultimate 4.1 release; and backward compatibility is too much
->    work). 
->  
->       - Clock, Ical, Jots: use the new "clock" command instead of "exec
->       date". 
->  
->       - tkgoodstuff: 
->  
->         + "create-label-box" renamed to "TKGLabelBox".
->  
->         + Use "ps -p [pid]" if "ps [pid]" gives an error, and don't
->         assume there's a STAT column in the ps output (thanks
->         J. Robinson).
->  
->         + Implement TKGAddToHook and TKGDoHook (general hook
->         utilities).  Several hooks are defined (for client use) in
->         tkgoodstuff, Fvwm.tcl, etc.
->  
->         + Change default fonts to non-italic, non-bold.
->  
->       - Biff: avoid tcl7.5b1's gets bugs by not doing "gets $f var".
->  
->       - New client "Pager" in progress by Eric Kahler.  Check out the
->       current version in this distribution.  Needs tkgoodstuff to be
->       run as an fvwm module (from the fvwm window manager).
->  
->       - The fvwm WindowList feature has become a client.  To call it,
->       you now issue "Client WindowList".
->  
->       - Fvwm is no longer a client.  Its code is loaded by the WindowList
->       and Pager clients as needed.  You will get an error if you load
->       it as a client (as you had to in earlier versions).  (NOTE!!!)
->  
->       - Fvwm: fvwm's messages are more easily available to clients, we
->       maintain a more complete database of the information available
->       from fvwm, and we slightly enhanced tkfvwm (the new version of
->       tkfvwm4.1 is needed to take advantage of all the information).
->       Look at Fvwm.tcl for more info.  These changes were primarily to
->       support Eric Kahler's cool Pager client.
->  
->       - Ical: Gave one alarm per item per calendar fetch.  Oops.  Stick
->       to one per item.
->  
->       - Jots: Made widgets behave sensibly under manual resizing (until
->       tk4.1b1's empty-frame bug showed up, that is).
->  
->  Mark Crimmins
->  [email-masked]
->  

-- 
Michael Nelson                          [email-masked]
San Francisco, CA

---

From: Mark Crimmins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 14:41:00 -0500

Sorry about that!  Tk4.1b1 doesn't handle empty frames properly, and
there are several other bugs.  But I want to use its new features and
I want to have a release ironed out by the time tk4.1 is finally
released, so I thought I might as well start now.

It's not impossible to have tcl7.5b1/tk4.1b1 around in addition to the
a2 versions (edit the makefiles so that, e.g., instead of
libtcl7.5.so, you get libtcl7.5b1.so, so that you use distinctive
library directories, etc.  But that's some serious work and disk
space.  Hopefully the next beta of tcl/tk won't be long in coming.

Thanks for your patience!

Mark