Subject: FVWM: FvwmButtons w/o fonts?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 21:57:19 +0100 (MET)

Hello all! I've just been sitting here all evening playing with fvwm, happened
to discover the trick with pixmaps in menus :-) Looks absolutely gorgeous!
I've been drawing colorful colormapfriendly 16x16 icons for 4 hours :-)

However there are a few features I'd like to see in some modules. (Real small
ones, no need to get preachy about the Featherweight Virtual Window Manager)

FvwmButtons:
* Would it be tricky to enhance FvwmButtons to accept the fontname "None" and
then go without fonts? Like the Pager module? Currently I _almost_ get there
by using "-misc-nil-*", gives just a 2 pixel overhead, but it's kinda cheating.
* I can't believe noone has noticed that FvwmButtons is squeezed into a window
that's one pixel too small both ways! I'm using it without any frame, and it's
painfully obvious that the right and bottom edge borders are 1 pixel wide,
while all the other borders are 2 pixels. Is this a bug or a feature?
* While playing around with the configuration, I sometimes want to "split
a button in two", however, after modifying all the other buttons to have
sizes like (1x2), and restarting, all these other buttons have grown by 
4 pixels (for the frame), 2 pixels for padding, and 2 times the height of
the font used. Aaaagh. It looks bad. Oh well, just throw in into the "more
control of FvwmButtons geometry. I almost can't stop myself hacking at the
code myself. Just wanted to see if anyone else is doing something. :-)

FvwmIconBox: (Is this obsoleted by FvwmIconMan or what?)
* Same as for FvwmButtons, I'd like to be able to turn off IconTitles by 
setting the font to "none". 
* Make it possible to set the width of all those bars all over the place.
I'd just like to get them away, set them to 0 or something, and swallow it
all in the Buttons. 
* If we want it in the Buttons it should be able to take all sizes, why not
just let it pad off the icon-area inside? 
* I notice non-transparent icons get a 3D-frame, but not transparent ones..
Should be possible to this with something akin to ..IconFrame True|False|Guess

Now that's nice, seems I've reached the end of my complaints. Oh yeah, add
the usual Ay's for strict colormap negotiation and an FvwmButtons that doesn't
die with it's children.

Btw, are there any compos for best-looking configuration of fvwm out there :-)
Count me in.

Vyrsdsamt,
-Jarl

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 17:41:14 -0500

>>>>> "jarl" == jarl  <[email-masked]> writes:

jarl> However there are a few features I'd like to see in some
jarl> modules. (Real small ones, no need to get preachy about the
jarl> Featherweight Virtual Window Manager)

I do tend to do that every now and then, but module enhancements I
don't normally have problems with (at least not about size).

jarl> FvwmButtons:
jarl> * Would it be tricky to enhance FvwmButtons to accept the
jarl> fontname "None" and then go without fonts? Like the Pager
jarl> module? Currently I _almost_ get there by using "-misc-nil-*",
jarl> gives just a 2 pixel overhead, but it's kinda cheating.

I don't think it would be too bad.  Go ahead and do it. :)
I'll add it to my TO-DO list.

jarl> * I can't believe noone has noticed that FvwmButtons is squeezed
jarl> into a window that's one pixel too small both ways! I'm using it
jarl> without any frame, and it's painfully obvious that the right and
jarl> bottom edge borders are 1 pixel wide, while all the other
jarl> borders are 2 pixels. Is this a bug or a feature?

I never noticed it, but then again I don't use FvwmButtons.  So, I
just tried it.  I removed the frame entirely and I see no extra space
around it, so this may be a bug on your system only.  This might
explain why no one else saw it.

jarl> * While playing around with the configuration, I sometimes want
jarl> to "split a button in two", however, after modifying all the
jarl> other buttons to have sizes like (1x2), and restarting, all
jarl> these other buttons have grown by 4 pixels (for the frame), 2
jarl> pixels for padding, and 2 times the height of the font
jarl> used. Aaaagh. It looks bad.

This may be related to your above problem.

jarl> Oh well, just throw in into the "more control of FvwmButtons
jarl> geometry. I almost can't stop myself hacking at the code
jarl> myself. Just wanted to see if anyone else is doing
jarl> something. :-)

If you feel the urge, go ahead and hack at the code.  You might want
to look at the TO-DO list and see if you'd like any of those
additional features or bugs fixed and take a stab at them.

jarl> FvwmIconBox: (Is this obsoleted by FvwmIconMan or what?)

Nope.

jarl> * Same as for FvwmButtons, I'd like to be able to turn off
jarl> IconTitles by setting the font to "none".

Same answer as above.

jarl> * Make it possible to set the width of all those bars all over
jarl> the place.  I'd just like to get them away, set them to 0 or
jarl> something, and swallow it all in the Buttons.

What bars are you referring to?  Since I don't usually use it, I may
be showing my ignorance here.

jarl> * If we want it in the Buttons it should be able to take all
jarl> sizes, why not just let it pad off the icon-area inside?

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for here.  But I can't
really see anyone wanting FvwmButtons to swallow FvwmIconBox.  It's a
little big for that, don't you think?

jarl> * I notice non-transparent icons get a 3D-frame, but not
jarl> transparent ones..  Should be possible to this with something
jarl> akin to ..IconFrame True|False|Guess

If you compiled with the SHAPE option, this happens.

Chuck

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 00:54:43 +0100 (MET)

> explain why no one else saw it.

Hmm, this sounds strange. I've played some more with it (both on SunOS and
Linux) and the problem remains: On the rightmost and bottom buttons the
2-pixel wide "3D-frame" is truncated to 1 pixel, always. As if the mapped
window is 1 pixel to small both ways. 
This is 2.0.38 and though I believe nothing's changed I'll see if it gets
better when I compile 2.0.40.

> If you feel the urge, go ahead and hack at the code.  You might want
I'm on my way this very moment. 

> be showing my ignorance here.
I didn't know what to call it, but it's the... background, or rather the
hardcoded _framework_ (that's it) which is way to dominant for my tender
layout :-)

> little big for that, don't you think?
Not really. I'm using 16x16 icons for this, and an icon in my buttonbar is
64x38, som when I let the FvwmIconBox be 4 buttons wide, it easily fits
atleast 16 icons and a scrollbar, with a total geometry of 286x42.
Provided I get rid of those titles. I'll look to it if I have success 
hacking the buttonbar.

Thanks for the feedback,
-Jarl

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Nation 885-9815)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 96 09:05:53 EST

>I'll add it to my TO-DO list.

If you supply a label of "-", FvwmButtons omits the label on that button,
which is more or less like having no font.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Nation 885-9815)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 96 09:09:35 EST

>window is 1 pixel to small both ways. 

Yes, I see it too. I believe that it has always been that way.

---

From: Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 12:47:17 -0500

Chuck> What bars are you referring to?  Since I don't usually use it,
Chuck> I may be showing my ignorance here.

I'd guess he means the incredibly wide borders built in to the box.  I
manage to get rid of them by setting FvwmIconBoxSBWidth to 0.  That
just leaves one bar where the remaining scroll bar is (since you can't
hide both scrollbars).

Chuck> I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for here.  But I
Chuck> can't really see anyone wanting FvwmButtons to swallow
Chuck> FvwmIconBox.  It's a little big for that, don't you think?

Hmm.  Do my posts not make it to the rest of the list?  You know some
people prefer to run the pager iconified so they always just see the
current desktop (takes up much less space that way) but get frustrated
because they can't swallow the iconfied pager?  The solution to that
is to set up the IconBox to only hold the pager icon and then swallow
that iconbox.
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]