Subject: Re: FVWM: A self popping window ?

From: Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 06:27:52 -0700 (MST)

> From: "Ph. BOURDEU d'AGUERRE" <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: FVWM: A self popping window ?
> 
> With SunOs, I had an old Xconsole which pop-up each time it receives a
> message and which otherwise completely disappears. Unfortunately, it is
> written with old Xt constructs and did not compile under Solaris.
> 
> To replace this old Xconsole, I wonder if it is possible to instruct
> fvwm to open a window each times it gets output. 
> -- 
> Philippe BOURDEU d'AGUERRE

I hacked xconsole to do this as well. It's pretty straightforward to download
the xconsole source from ftp.x.org, and then add:

XMapWindow (XtDisplay (top), XtWindow (top))

to Notify(). I believe that's all you need, it was a while ago.

Works like a charm. Makes it very difficult to miss a talk request, without
the annoyance of it getting broadcast to every xterm.

The proposed fvwm addition would be pretty cool. I would much like to hear
about the feasability of doing this from someone who knows the code better
than I. I have heard though that fvwm has run out of bits to encode Style
flags, and that would be the way to implement it. 

I also would be curious about how efficiently one can watch windows for output
in X11 - I sense a neat trick that I know nothing about.

[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 09:13:34 -0500

>>>>> "Brady" == Brady Montz <[email-masked]> writes:

Brady> The proposed fvwm addition would be pretty cool. I would much
Brady> like to hear about the feasability of doing this from someone
Brady> who knows the code better than I. I have heard though that fvwm
Brady> has run out of bits to encode Style flags, and that would be
Brady> the way to implement it.

That is correct.  There really aren't any Style flags left right now.
But fear not - one of my first big tasks after the mythical 'first
official release' which is actually approaching now is to redo that to
allow more Style flags in a nice clean way.  It's not going to be easy
the way I want to do it, but it should be worth it.

Chuck