Subject: Re: FVWM: Problem installing fvwm.2.0-40 on a PC running D

From: [email-masked] (Sebastien Marineau)
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 96 17:12:15 est

>Hi,
>
>I have a problem when I am trying to install fvwm-2.0.40 on my PC
>running
>Debian 0.93R6. I modified configure.h to my liking (just the variables
>telling where to install various things) and then I did what is
>said in the INSTALL file to build and install fvwm:
[snip]

>style.o         virtual.o       windows.o -lXpm  -lXExExt -lXext -lX11
>.../libs/libfvwm2.a      
>GetFont.o(.text+0x8f): undefined reference to `XLoadQueryFont'
>GetFont.o(.text+0xb3): undefined reference to `XLoadQueryFont'
>make[1]: *** [fvwm2] Error 1
>....
>#
>
>Can somebody help me and tell why `XLoadQueryFont' is undefined and
>what I should do to fix the problem? Please send me email
>directly and I will summarize the answers...

I also ran into this problem while compiling fvwm for OS/2. This is
due to the fact that the X libraries are being linked before the
fvwm.a lib, which contains a reference to the X libs. My solution was
simply to change this line in makefile.h:

LOCAL_LIBRARIES = XPM_LIBRARIES $(ADD_LIB) $(XLIB) \
$(FVWM_SRCDIR)/libs/$(LIB).a
 
to: 

LOCAL_LIBRARIES = XPM_LIBRARIES $(ADD_LIB)
$(FVWM_SRCDIR)/libs/$(LIB).a \ $(XLIB)

Maybe this should be changed permanently in makefile.h?

_____________________________
Sebastien Marineau
Mechanical Engineering
University of Ottawa
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Johan Nyberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 10:59:41 +0100

My original posting was:

---------

Hi,

# xmkmf
# make Makefiles
# make 
# make install
...
rm -f fvwm2
gcc -o fvwm2 -O2 -m486 -ansi     -L/usr/X11R6/lib add_window.o
bindings.o      borders.o       builtins.o      colormaps.o
colors.o    complex.o       decorations.o   events.o        focus.o
    functions.o     fvwm.o  icons.o         menus.o         misc.o
module.o        move.o  placement.o     read.o  resize.o
style.o         virtual.o       windows.o -lXpm  -lXExExt -lXext -lX11
/libs/libfvwm2.a      
GetFont.o(.text+0x8f): undefined reference to `XLoadQueryFont'
GetFont.o(.text+0xb3): undefined reference to `XLoadQueryFont'
make[1]: *** [fvwm2] Error 1
...
#

-----------

I immediately got two replies, from

Richard Kaszeta <[email-masked]> and from
Sebastien Marineau <[email-masked]>

both of them telling me what the problem is and how to fix it. Here is

 > Maybe this should be changed permanently in makefile.h?

I did this and re-made fvwm from scratch and it worked just fine!

Johan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Email  : [email-masked]   WWW: <http://www3.tsl.uu.se/~nyberg>
Office : The Svedberg Laboratory, Uppsala University, BOX 533,
         S-75121 Uppsala, Sweden. Tel: +46-18-183047. Fax: +46-18-183833
Home   : Hoejdvaegen 31B, S-75653 Uppsala, Sweden. Tel: +46-18-324314
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].