Subject: FVWM: anyone ever use special keys

From: Ted Serreyn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 11:36:14 -0500

I have a microsoft Natural keyboad, and would like to bind the window keys 
under X11.  Is this possible?  I have the following information from xev.
Any ideas?  I would like to at least bind the windows keys to the different 
menus for fvwm.  Note that neither of these keys is defined in 
/usr/include/X11/xkeysyms.def  anyone know how to define new keys?

Ted

Left Window key gives
KeyPress event, serial 17, synthetic NO, window 0x4000001,
    root 0x2a, subw 0x0, time 891268449, (99,100), root:(1198,123),
    state 0x0, keycode 115 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""

Right Window Key gives
KeyPress event, serial 17, synthetic NO, window 0x4000001,
    root 0x2a, subw 0x0, time 891303828, (67,99), root:(1166,122),
    state 0x0, keycode 116 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""

Right Menu Key gives
KeyPress event, serial 17, synthetic NO, window 0x4000001,
    root 0x2a, subw 0x0, time 891367438, (104,115), root:(1203,138),
    state 0x0, keycode 117 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""

-- 
|Ted Serreyn          Associate Computer Analyst - UUcom, Inc.    Baby '96|
|Work: (703)461-1352  4875 Eisenhower Ave. Suite 250     RedHat Linux V2.1|
|Fax:  (703)461-1360  Alexandria, VA 22304-0797  email: [email-masked]|

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Sean Kelly <kelly@yarmouth>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 09:57:12 -0700

>>>>> "Ted" == Ted Serreyn <[email-masked]> writes:

    Ted> I have a microsoft Natural keyboad, and would like to bind
    Ted> the window keys under X11.  Is this possible?  I have the
    Ted> following information from xev.  Any ideas?  I would like to
    Ted> at least bind the windows keys to the different menus for
    Ted> fvwm.  Note that neither of these keys is defined in
    Ted> /usr/include/X11/xkeysyms.def anyone know how to define new
    Ted> keys?

Use xmodmap to rebind the keycodes for those special keys to keysyms
that exist.  Then in your .fvwmrc, provide bindings to modules,
functions, or actions for those keysyms.

-- 
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

I filled out an application that said, "In Case Of Emergency Notify".
I wrote "Doctor"...  What's my mother going to do? -- Steven Wright
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Eric F. Kahler ([email-masked])" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 13:10:05 -0500

> functions, or actions for those keysyms.

I'm trying to do this now.

In my .fvwmrc the Left ALT key combined with the F1 key pops up the menu.  I'd 
like to bind the Left Window key which has a keycode of 115 (as Ted found 
using xev).

Having read the man page on xmodmap, it seems I need to bind the keycode 115 
to the keysyms of both the "Left ALT" and "F1" keys.

In /usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h, exist the lines:
	#define XK_F1                   0xFFBE
	#define XK_Alt_L                0xFFE9  /* Left alt */

So I'm trying to execute this:

	xmodmap -ev "keycode 115 = 0xFFEA 0xFFBE"

alas, (because I'm clueless) this doesn't do anything.

Anyone have any ideas?

-- 
From:  Eric Kahler.
[email-masked] 
http://mars.superlink.net/ekahler/index.html

---

From: "Eric F. Kahler ([email-masked])" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 14:31:16 -0500

Here's some progress in trying to bind the Microsoft Keyboard left window key 
to Fvwm's menu.
As I'm not in Japan, I can use the Japanese keysms without consequence.

The following binds the ms$ left window key to the Kanji keysym

	xmodmap -ev "keycode 115 = 0xFF21"

In .fvwmrc this binds the Kanji keysym + my Left ALT key to the menu

	Key Kanji       A       M       Popup "Utilities"
 
I'd like to call up the menu with just one key, but if I leave out the "M" in 
the above line, ONLY the FVWM Modules menu pops up for me. -- is this a 
feature?  

Can I call up the main menu (Utilities on my system) with just one key??

Thank you,
Eric.

---

From: Sean Kelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 12:43:09 -0700

>>>>> "Eric" == "Eric F Kahler (ekahler@mars superlink net)" <[email-masked]> writes:

    Eric> In my .fvwmrc the Left ALT key combined with the F1 key pops
    Eric> up the menu.  I'd like to bind the Left Window key which has
    Eric> a keycode of 115 (as Ted found using xev).

    Eric> Having read the man page on xmodmap, it seems I need to bind
    Eric> the keycode 115 to the keysyms of both the "Left ALT" and
    Eric> "F1" keys.

I think what you really want to do is bind the keycode 115 to just any
random keysym ... but one you're not already using.  Try:

	xmodmap -e "keycode 115 = sterling"

which will make that key send the keysym for Pounds Sterling, which
you almost definitely don't have anywhere else on your keyboard.

Then, in your .fvwmrc, use ``Key sterling <args...>'' to have that key
activate whatever you want.

-- 
Sean Kelly                          
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    [email-masked]
Boulder Colorado USA                http://www-sdd.fsl.noaa.gov/~kelly/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Borges <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Feb 1996 12:48:13 -0700

>> On Wed, 28 Feb 1996 13:10:05 -0500,
>> ekahler@mars superlink net(esn) wrote:

esn> I'm trying to do this now.

esn> 	xmodmap -ev "keycode 115 = 0xFFEA 0xFFBE"

esn> Anyone have any ideas?

Yes, use xkeycaps(1) by Jamie Zawinski. It cures hair loss caused by
xmodmap.

Xkeycaps(1) gives you a simple GUI to xmodmap that lets you fiddle
with your keyboard to your hearts content.

If you don't have it on your system, I heartily recommend getting it
from

	ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/applications/xkeycaps-2.29.tar.Z

or one of its mirrors, or from the wizard himself:

	http://home.netscape.com/people/jwz/xkeycaps/index.html

  -mb-