Subject: FVWM: fvwm2 and tk window withdrawal

From: Bill Hails <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 1996 09:43:50 +0000

I've noticed a couple of minor irritations when using Tcl/Tk, (both
versions 7.3/3.6 and 7.4/4.0) under fvwm2 which didn't occur with the
version 1 fvwm. Perhaps someonecould look into it?

firstly, with the old fvwm, calling `wm withdraw' would unmap the window
if it was open, or the icon if it was iconified. In fvwm2, if the
window is iconified, the `wm withdraw' command has no effect.

This is slightly irritating because I use the (very good) TkPostit
replacement for xpostit, and in order to hide all the icons, I have to
de-iconify them first.

Secondly, in some cases, clicking a button on a tk application
which causes the window containing the button to withdraw or exit leaves
the cursor as a dot, and I have to click on the root to return the
cursor to its normal state.

Here Is a script which demonstrates these problems. Note that I get the
`dot' behaviour from the Quit button about once in every 5-10 times:

8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---
#!/usr/local/bin/wish -f

button .quit -text quit -command {destroy .}
button .iconify -text {Iconify Demo Window} \
    -command {wm iconify .demowin}
button .deiconify -text {Display Demo Window} \
    -command {wm deiconify .demowin}
button .withdraw -text {Withdraw Demo Window} \
    -command {wm withdraw .demowin}

pack .quit .iconify .deiconify .withdraw

toplevel .demowin
label .demowin.img -text {A Demonstration Window}

pack .demowin.img

wm title . {Main Window}
wm title .demowin {Demo Window}
8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---

Above and beyond all that, Fvwm is by far the best WM I've used, and I
don't want my little problems to detract from what is really an excellent
package. Keep up the good work.

Cheers
	Bill

Bill Hails <[email-masked]>
Tel (UK) 01483 300 200 x415
Fax (UK) 01483 461 046

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].