Subject: FVWM: An Openwin feature I miss (window resizing)

From: Gregory Margo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 10:47:26 -0800 (PST)

There is a particular feature of Openwindows that I really miss.  I would
be happy to take on the job of adding it to Fvwm if the consensus is
that it would be a Good Thing (tm).

The topic is: the behavior of window resizing with the mouse.

With fvwm, and other twm like window managers, dragging the window corner
resizes the window in both the X and Y directions.

With olwm/olvwm, this resize behavior is modified by holding the shift
button (or was it control?) so the window is only resized in either
the X or Y direction.  In other words, the resizing is constrained 
to occur along only one axis.  I always found this very helpful, especially
for resizing windows I want to maintain at 80 columns wide, like xterm
or mailtool windows.

Thoughts?

gm
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Gregory H. Margo                 No free speech restrictions on the Internet!
[email-masked]

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 96 14:00:14 EST

%% Regarding FVWM: An Openwin feature I miss (window resizing);
%% Gregory Margo <[email-masked]> writes:

    gm> With fvwm, and other twm like window managers, dragging the
    gm> window corner resizes the window in both the X and Y directions.

    gm> With olwm/olvwm, this resize behavior is modified by holding the
    gm> shift button (or was it control?) so the window is only resized
    gm> in either the X or Y direction.  In other words, the resizing is
    gm> constrained to occur along only one axis.  I always found this
    gm> very helpful, especially for resizing windows I want to maintain
    gm> at 80 columns wide, like xterm or mailtool windows.

    gm> Thoughts?

Grab and drag the top or bottom and it'll resize only vertically; grab
and drag the left or right and it'll resize only horizontally.

Grab the corners and it'll resize in both axis.

I think it makes much more sense that way than having to use a shift (or
was it control?) :)
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 17:51:57 -0500

>>>>> "gm" ==  Gregory Margo <[email-masked]> writes:

gm> Thoughts?

>>>>> "Robert" == Robert Tarrall <[email-masked]> writes:

Robert> Personally, I like fvwm's behaviour better.  When I need to
Robert> resize a window in only one direction, I grab the side of the
Robert> window instead of the corner.  If that's not default behaviour
Robert> for fvwm let me know and I'll poke through my .fvwmrc and see
Robert> what I did to set it up that way...

That is the default behavior, and I prefer it this way myself.

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul D Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

Paul> Grab and drag the top or bottom and it'll resize only
Paul> vertically; grab and drag the left or right and it'll resize
Paul> only horizontally.

Paul> Grab the corners and it'll resize in both axis.

Paul> I think it makes much more sense that way than having to use a
Paul> shift (or was it control?) :)

I think so too.  Pretty confusing.

But I *might* be able to add another function that could be bound to
the corners w/ a modifier (like shift or control) to get the behavior
Gregory wants.  I'm not making any promises, but I might be able to.
If it's not real easy to add, I don't think it'd be worth it.

Chuck