Subject: FVWM: Reading .fvwm2rc

From: The Dark Dragon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 18:51:32 -0500 (EST)

I am afraid I must be missing something here.  I am trying to compile 
fvwm2 so that it will read a users .fvwm2rc if it exists, and if not read 
the system default.  (in this case, /afs/eos/contrib/wm/lib/system.fvwm2rc)
I have tried many different settings for FVWMRC in configure.h and have 
yet to stumble upon the correct way to go about this.  I honestly can't 
believe that this feature wouldn't be in there somewhere.  I'm afraid I 
am at the end of my rope here.  Looking over the man page, I noticed that 
=perhaps= the way to go about it is with the read command, yet..  for 
this to be effective, I would need to be able to detect if the .fvwm2rc 
existed and if it did, read it and exit, otherwise continue on.  (in the 
system.fvwm2rc)  I can not see a way to go about this.  Maybe I'm just 
tired and looking right over it, but I've been sitting here all day 
looking at it and I'm just getting very frustrated.  I would greatly 
appreciate it if someone would tell me what I need to do.  I could go in 
and hack the source code, but I really would rather not.

Thanks for your time,
Daniel

                          ____   _      _
\\                         ||he  |)ark  |)ragon                       //
\*--------------------------------------------------------------------*/
 | Daniel Adam Henninger <[email-masked]>                            |
 | Engineering Computer Operations <ECO>                              |
 | North Carolina State University  -  Sophomore  -  Computer Science |
/*--------------------------------------------------------------------*\
//               http://crazytrain.eos.ncsu.edu/~dahennin             \\

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Chad Coulliette <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 17:09:15 -0800 (PST)

This is the standard behavior for fvwm2.  It is how it works on my
installation.  Are you sure that it does not work that way on yours?  Do
you have the default .fvwm2rc file in the right place?  It should be in
the same directory as the modules.

Chad

Excerpts from lists.FVWM: 17-Jan-96 FVWM: Reading .fvwm2rc The Dark
[email-masked] (1822*)

---

From: Mark Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 16:24:42 GMT

> Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 18:51:32 -0500 (EST)
> From: The Dark Dragon <[email-masked]>
> 
> yet to stumble upon the correct way to go about this.

Have you configured the build as fvwm or fvwm2? Check that it's not
looking for .fvwmrc.

-- 
Mark Powell, Senior Software Engineer <[email-masked]>
Primagraphics Limited, Graphics Court, Melbourn Science Park,
Melbourn, Royston, Herts SG8 6EJ, England. Tel. +44 1763 262041
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 09:50:16 -0500

>>>>> "Mark" == Mark Powell <[email-masked]> writes:

>> yet to stumble upon the correct way to go about this.

Mark> Have you configured the build as fvwm or fvwm2? Check that it's not
Mark> looking for .fvwmrc.

In configure.h, you should have:

#define FVWM fvwm2
#define FVWMRC ".fvwm2rc"
#define FVWMDIR "/afs/eos/contrib/wm/lib"

Also, it's not looking for the 'system' at the front of the filename.
Make sure your installed default is just named .fvwm2rc in your FVWMDIR
directory, and all should work as expected.

The Read command should be working as follows: it looks for the file
as specified (current working dir & partial path if specified or full
path if specified), if not found then off the HOME directory (same
name & partial path if specifed), if still not found then out of the
FVWMDIR directory (same name & partial path if specifed).

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're
  [email-masked],              just havin' a nightmare--of course,
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    we are still in Hell." Gary Larson
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: The Dark Dragon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 12:23:56 -0500 (EST)

> Have you configured the build as fvwm or fvwm2? Check that it's not

I configured it to build it as fvwm2.  After numerous suggestions, we 
found that I was assuming it looked for a system.fvwm2rc like I had set 
up before.  I had forgotten that when I changed the FVWMRC variable to 
.fvwm2rc that I needed to change system.fvwm2rc to .fvwm2rc.  I do not 
remember the name of the person who pointed this out to me, but you know 
who you are.  Thanks.

Daniel

                          ____   _      _
\\                         ||he  |)ark  |)ragon                       //