Subject: FVWM: Re: trouble with xrsh

From: [email-masked] (Pete Siemsen)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 11:48:52 -0700 (MST)

Oreos <[email-masked]> wrote:

> This is a portion of my .fvwm2rc it calls xrsh which opens an xterm on
> a remote workstation with the display on my computer. for some reason
> it works from my prompt and it also works if i send it to FvwmTalk,
> but if i click on it in the menu, nothing happens.
>
> just regard the "scws35" part as one continuous line.  am i doing
> something idiotic?
>
> AddToMenu Xterms "" 
> + "scws35" Exec exec xrsh -l park6 -auth xauth -pass ENV scws35 xterm -ls -d 
> park6.student.harvard.edu:0.0
>
> thanks
> james

I do exactly the same thing, and it usually works for me.  Some things
to try:

1. put a "&" at the end of the above line
2. the man page says -pass takes a quote-delimited string, so quite it
3. Try a simple "rsh" to the remote host first, to make sure that part
   of the connection works.
4. "xterm" may not be enough.  I've found that I have to specify the
   full path, like /usr/bin/X11/xterm.  Of course, that path had to be
   correct on the remote host, not the local host.
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].