Subject: FVWM: fvwm2 'melting' problem

From: "John Junior Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 18:41:18 -0500

i am tryin' to switch to fvwm2.
2 problems right now:

i used fvwm_convert to get my fvwm2rc file.

1.  fvwm2 doesn't 'melt' when i want to change windows.  i have to click on the
window i want to use to get it to come to the top.

2.  when i call up a new application now, i have to 'sit' it down on the
desktop myself.  the apps used to place themselves on the desktop.  what
happened to SmartPlacement, RandomPlacement & all of that good stuff.  i have
warning messages in my .fvwm2rc file that say these commands saying that those
keywords aren't supported.  fvwm2 has to have something good about it, but i
don't see it yet.  any help would be appreciated!!

thankx.

-- 
**************************************************************************

==================================================
||John J. Dawkins II                            ||
||Electrical & Computer Engineering             ||
||662E  2110 Avent Ferry Road                   ||
||Raleigh, NC  27606                            ||
||(919)512-6853                                 ||
[email-masked]                         ||
||http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jjdawkin/www            ||
==================================================
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Chad Coulliette <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 17:16:20 -0800 (PST)

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone tried using motif applications under fvwm2?  I would like to
run Wingz 2.11 under SunOS/X11R6 on fvwm2.  Has anyone tried this or
other motif applications on a similar platform?

Chad
--------------------------------------------------------
Chad M. Coulliette
[email-masked]
Applied Mechanics and Engineering Sciences
University of California, San Diego
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Frank Weis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 11:19:47 +0100 (MET)

> window i want to use to get it to come to the top.
See FvwmAuto module plus see 2)
> don't see it yet.  any help would be appreciated!!
the conversion script sets the modulepath to some strange location. Set it
right and fvwm2 will find your modules. Look for the keyword FVWM_MODULEDIR
in your dotrc.

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 09:33:36 -0500

>>>>> "Chad" == Chad Coulliette <[email-masked]> writes:

Chad> Hello Everyone,
Chad> Has anyone tried using motif applications under fvwm2?  I would
Chad> like to run Wingz 2.11 under SunOS/X11R6 on fvwm2.  Has anyone
Chad> tried this or other motif applications on a similar platform?

Motif programs should have no troubles running under fvwm.  I use lots
of them.

In fact (RTFM) fvwm even recognizes Motif MWM hints, so it handles
Motif programs better than a lot of other non-MWM window managers.

Chuck

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 10:07:57 -0500

>>>>> "John" == John Junior Dawkins <[email-masked]> writes:

John> i am tryin' to switch to fvwm2.

Please keep in mind that it's still beta code that hasn't been
officially released yet...

John> 2 problems right now:

John> i used fvwm_convert to get my fvwm2rc file.

John> 1.  fvwm2 doesn't 'melt' when i want to change windows.  i have
John> to click on the window i want to use to get it to come to the
John> top.

It took a moment to figure out what you meant by 'melt', but RTFM -
FvwmAuto module.

John> 2.  when i call up a new application now, i have to 'sit' it
John> down on the desktop myself.  the apps used to place themselves
John> on the desktop.  what happened to SmartPlacement,
John> RandomPlacement & all of that good stuff.  i have warning
John> messages in my .fvwm2rc file that say these commands saying that
John> those keywords aren't supported.

Again, RTFM.  The FAQ included with the distribution (latest is
2.0.40) has fvwm 1.xx to 2.xx conversion chart.  These particular ones
are controlled via the 'Style' command:

Style "*"           RandomPlacement, SmartPlacement

John> fvwm2 has to have something good about it, but i don't see it
John> yet.  any help would be appreciated!!

Fvwm2 does have a lot of good things about it, with many more coming
in the future.  But the changes between the versions may make
conversion difficult.

Plus, since it's still beta code the docs and examples are not
completely up to date (so RTFM might not even help sometimes), and the
conversion script doesn't work 100%, which I meant to put a warning
about in the docs at some point.  I'll make sure that this warning is
in the docs and printed by the conversion script as well for the next
release.

I'm trying to clean up the docs and build process so I can officially
release it so I can start doing some of the bigger projects on the
TO-DO list.

Just saw some related notes come in:

John> i am assuming that

John> AddToFunc "InitFunction" "I" Module FvwmAuto 250

John> is equivalent to the AutoRaise function in fvwm1.2.

Yup, it should be.

John> but my windows don't automatically come to the top when i enter
John> them. i have to click on the borders to get them to come to the
John> top.  what am i doing wrong?

The quotes around InitFunction aren't needed, but I don't know if this
is being a problem or not.  But this might be:

>>>>> "Frank" == Frank Weis <[email-masked]> writes:

Frank> the conversion script sets the modulepath to some strange
Frank> location. Set it right and fvwm2 will find your modules. Look
Frank> for the keyword FVWM_MODULEDIR in your dotrc.

You might want to start with a whole new .fvwm2rc file and add your
old customizations in the new format by hand.

If you want to see if it's finding FvwmAuto, try running FvwmTalk and
typing "Module FvwmAuto 250" in it and see if it gives an error
message.  If it doesn't, then the module is being invoked and there is
another problem.

Chuck