Subject: FVWM: is this a bug?

From: Noam Ben Yochanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 15:26:06 +0200 (IST)

Hi,

  I'm trying to get Netscape to run from the GoodStuff window. I keep on 
getting the message "/bin/sh: netscape00: Permission denied" in my 
.xsession-errors file and Netscape doesn't  run. 
  The permisions for Netscape on our system are restricted. Only poeple 
on the "netters" group are allowed to use it. The permissions are as follows:

r-x--x---   root  netters ...

  I run Netscape from the shell prompt with no problems, so I don't really 
have a permission problem of any kind.
  I did manage to get Netscape to work from GoodStuff by changing the 
permissions so that everybody has execute permission (r-x--x--x). 

  Is this a bug? a hidden feature? :-)

Noam

   ---+++---+++---+++---+++---+++---+++---+++---+++---+++---+++---+++---+++
Noam Ben Yochanan          __ _  ___  ___  __ __   "And the client exclaimed,
Jerusalem College of      |  | || _ || _ ||  |  |   with a snarl and a taunt:
Technology,               |_|__||___||_|_||_|_|_|   It's just what I asked for,
[email-masked]                              but it's not what I want!"
            Telephone: Home - 03-5321017   Office - 02-751160

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 10:30:56 -0500

Noam> I'm trying to get Netscape to run from the GoodStuff window. I
Noam> keep on getting the message "/bin/sh: netscape00: Permission
Noam> denied" in my .xsession-errors file
[...]
Noam> I run Netscape from the shell prompt with no problems, so I
Noam> don't really have a permission problem of any kind.

You most certainly do have a permission problem or you wouldn't get a
permission denied message :-) Seriously, do you run xdm?  If so, it
may not be setting up your supplementary groups before fvwm gets
started.  I ran into this problem with some versions of xdm in the
past myself, but haven't used xdm for a while so I'm not sure if it's
still there.
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B020\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Domain: [email-masked]  UUCP: {your neighborhood}!linus!mdf!dsg

---

From: [email-masked] (John Henders)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 10:37:53 -0800 (PST)

> permissions so that everybody has execute permission (r-x--x--x). 

If you are starting your X session from xdm, I've noticed that it
doesn't set up all your supplementary groups correctly. If you're
starting xterms with your login environment, that would be why netscape
works from them.

Try setting up a menu item to call xterm with the +/- ls option set for
a non-login shell and use id to see what's up.

-- 
      Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.
                GAT d- -p+(--) c++++ l++ u++ t- m--- W--- !v
                     b+++ e* s-/+ n-(?) h++ f+g+ w+++ y*