Subject: FVWM: FVWM suggestions from outsider

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 10:56:53 -0700

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

I've switched over to fvwm2 and notice that it seems to be designed much
better than the original fvwm. There are, however, a number of suggestions
that I'd like to make for future improvement. I'm sorry if these things are
already possible, if so, perhaps explaining how to do them would be helpful
to many people. I'm also for sending this to a mailing list that I'm not
on; chances are that these things have already been discussed - I don't
see any archives, so I can't check.

First of all, I like the TogglePage clamp. Something that would also be
nice is the ability to either control a button being "pressed in" or better
yet, being able to cycle between pixmaps and the functions assigned to them.
For example, why have a button for both "dial" and "disconnect" when only
one of them is needed at a time.. Another good feature would be the ability
to specify that something being run requires parameters from the user.

Another thing is that when a window is moved (in non-opaque mode) there is
apparently no way to set the color of the "wire frame" of the window that
you see while it's being moved. I have seen several colors being used for
this, but I can't find where to set it.

I have a mail program which pops up a password-prompt window called
"authenticate". Because I have SloppyFocus (wonderful feature, by the
way), I worry about accidently knocking my mouse into another window and
accidently broadcasting my password into an irc window or something. There
is already a "Stays On Top", and I'd swear I've seen something like "stays
focused" but can't find it. The ability to specify that something stays
focused unless the user specifically clicks on another window would not be
widely used, but it would be very reassuring for those who do use it. 

Finally, a number of my friends have mentioned to me that they would like
to be able to focus a window by clicking anywhere inside the window, citing
this as the major reason why they don't use FVWM. If it is possible to
implement, this would definately be a widely used feature.

Thanks for your time.

[email-masked]

<[email-masked]>           fRee cRyPTo!   jOin the hUnt or BE tHe PrEY
PGP key - http://students.cs.byu.edu/~don   or PubKey servers (0x994b8f39)
  June 7&14, 1995: 1st amendment repealed.  Junk mail to [email-masked]
* This user insured by the Smith, Wesson, & Zimmermann insurance company *
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].