Subject: FVWM: new to fvwm am i

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 16:45:17 -0600

Hello.  I've just installed fvwm 2 level 40 on my ibm rs6k 320,
under AIX 3.2.5.1.  While it's fresh in my mind I thought I'd 
provide some feedback on the install process.

I have two years part-time experience administering a single
rs6k 360, and I am not an idiot, but in general I found the 
install somewhat confusing and difficult.

My usual habit on installs is to download the tar file to my
own home directory and build it there, then su root and install
it in /usr/local.  (I try to keep mods to the rest of /usr to
an absolute minimum, in case I ever have to reinstall the system
from the University install server.)

Of course I didn't have imake, had never heard of it, so I had
to go find that first.  The INSTALL instructions directed me
to ftp.X.org but there is a lot there.  I concluded (perhaps
mistakenly) that imake was no longer available unbundled from
the rest of X11R5, and went looking elsewhere.  I found imake
stand-alone at ftp.primate.wisc.edu.  I gave the quick-start
instructions a shot and it appeared to build correctly.  That
was the first two hours.  On to fvwm.

Bug:

The configure.h file could use a few more instructions.  
In particular:

/* Where do you want the fvwm binaries installed. */
/* #define FVWM_BINDIR /usr/bin/X11 */

I changed FVWM_BINDIR to /usr/local/bin/X11, and the make
process eventually quit with:  mkdirhier not found.
It appears that things are set up to also use FVWM_BINDIR as
the path for mkdirhier, in addition to "where to install
the binaries".  During the imake build my mkdirhier was
placed in /usr/local/bin.  This is the only thing I would
call a genuine bug in the install process.

Suggest clarification:

Upon completion of the install, I found that while fvwm
itself had been installed in /usr/local/bin as I'd intended,
the sanctity of my /usr/lib/X11 had been violated by a 
new directory fvwm, with  FvwmAudio, FvwmCpp, FvwmIdent, etc.
Upon reexamining the configure.h file, I noted:

 ** FVWMDIR is the install dir for all execs

---

From: Mark Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 09:44:08 GMT

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 16:45:17 -0600
> 
> 
> the rest of X11R5, and went looking elsewhere.

For info:
imake (and xmkmf that goes with it) is very much an integral part of
X11 (R5 and R6). It is the tool used to configure a build of the X
sources from the X Consortium. The intention is that an installation of
X will have imake, xmkmf and appropriate configuration files that supply
all the system-dependant things like special includes, defines and
libraries.

-- 
Mark Powell, Senior Software Engineer <[email-masked]>
Primagraphics Limited, Graphics Court, Melbourn Science Park,
Melbourn, Royston, Herts SG8 6EJ, England. Tel. +44 1763 262041
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 16:34:45 -0500

>>>>> "root" == root  <[email-masked]> writes:

root> I have two years part-time experience administering a single
root> rs6k 360, and I am not an idiot, but in general I found the
root> install somewhat confusing and difficult.

The install process is not 100% clean, as you found out.  I have some
more patches to the Imake related files for the next release that may
help.

The build/install process is one of the few things that's really
keeping me from releasing the first official 2.xx release (it's still
beta, in case you didn't know).

root> Of course I didn't have imake, had never heard of it, so I had
root> to go find that first.

Just so everyone knows his reason for saying this, for some unknown
reason Imake is not installed by default on IBM machines, which is
most unfortunate.

If you can manage to install the Xamples tree (under
/usr/lpp/X11/Xamples/) from your install medium (it should be in there
somewhere, as I found it), the imake related files will be there and
can relatively easily be compiled I believe.  If I remember correctly
(it was a while ago), that's what I did.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're
  [email-masked],              just havin' a nightmare--of course,
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    we are still in Hell." Gary Larson
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: tim werner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 19:03:07 -0500

>Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 16:34:45 -0500
>From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)

>reason Imake is not installed by default on IBM machines, which is

Users of Ultrix-4.{2,3} (not positive whether they fixed it in 4.4, as we
never installed that), will also doubtless be frustrated by the badness
of imake in that Unice.  Strange, since DEC was in on X from the start,
I think.  I had to build my own R5, and later R6, to ever get any X app
running on my DECStation (w/o hacking the crap out of the default
Makefile, at least).

Maybe they fixed it in 4.4, and they replaced Ultrix with OSF, I think,
so not too many people care, but anyway...

>/usr/lpp/X11/Xamples/) from your install medium ...

Thankyou for using the correct (singular) case of this word.  It was
oddly pleasant to read.

tw