Subject: FVWM: Re: Installation of fvwm under Irix5.3

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 10:14:49 -0500

>>>>> "Roger" == Roger Savard (root@centrcn) <[email-masked]> writes:

Roger> Hi,

Hello.

Roger> I have a simple question, how do you replace the bindist command.
Roger> I know it does a cp -p of some sort but I'd like to know the exact
Roger> sequence.

Simple for you perhaps, but I have no clue what the bindist command
is.  I'm assuming that it's an Irix specific command, as I can't find
it under AIX.

Roger> I'm thinking of replacing 4Dwm on my Indigo to recuparate about
Roger> 1.0MB.

Well, you should be able to do that, as I believe others have.
Unfortunately, not having access to an SGI machine, I don't have any
clue about what specific oddities you have to do to replace 4Dwm.

Can anyone else on the list help Roger?  If there is something special
that needs to be done for this I'll add it to the FAQ.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're
  [email-masked],              just havin' a nightmare--of course,
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    we are still in Hell." Gary Larson
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 16:07:37 GMT

> Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 10:14:49 -0500
> From: [email-masked] (Charles Hines)
> References: <[email-masked]>
> 

Do you mean `bsdinst'? This is part of the X distribution that provides
an `install' command that is equivalent to the BSD one for systems that
don't have it. As well as copying, it can change permissions and
ownership of the installed file. Usually you can just let the X setup
sort it out, it gets used if your system needs it.

-- 
Mark Powell, Senior Software Engineer <[email-masked]>
Primagraphics Limited, Graphics Court, Melbourn Science Park,
Melbourn, Royston, Herts SG8 6EJ, England. Tel. +44 1763 262041
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Rich Scott <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 11:39:46 -0700 (MST)

Maybe Roger is referring to the 'bsdinst' command on the SGI?

If it helps, SGI's Irix (I'm speaking of Irix 5.x) comes with two
installation commands:

1) /sbin/install, which is a System-V-style-install, e.g.

	install -f destdir -m 755 -u user -g group filename

2) /usr/bin/X11/bsdinst, which is a (surprise) BSD-compatible install:

	install -cs -m 755 -u root -g bin filename destdir

   SGI states that bsdinst is actually a wrapper to their System V
   install.

You may want to just grab a copy of 'install.sh' from the current X11R6
source distribution (it's in xc/config/util/install.sh), although being
a shell script, it's pretty slow compared to the C code versions.
Probably there are several BSD/Linux/GNU versions written in C available
on the Net.

  =rich

--
Rich Scott	DMP/MAE 	USWest Technologies, Denver, CO
<[email-masked]>

Charles Hines wrote:
|Roger> I have a simple question, how do you replace the bindist command.
|Roger> I know it does a cp -p of some sort but I'd like to know the exact
|Roger> sequence.
|
|Simple for you perhaps, but I have no clue what the bindist command
|is.  I'm assuming that it's an Irix specific command, as I can't find
|it under AIX.
|
|Roger> I'm thinking of replacing 4Dwm on my Indigo to recuparate about
|Roger> 1.0MB.
|
|Well, you should be able to do that, as I believe others have.
|Unfortunately, not having access to an SGI machine, I don't have any
|clue about what specific oddities you have to do to replace 4Dwm.
|
|Can anyone else on the list help Roger?  If there is something special
|that needs to be done for this I'll add it to the FAQ.
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].