Subject: FVWM: pixmap support for titlebar/buttons/menubackgrounds?

From: Kim Lassila <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 11:24:14 +0200 (EET)

Is this pixmap-support under development already? 
And what about the Mac-stylish WindowShade function? 
Is it possible to bind a key to mouse buttons? I know it is easy to bind
e.g. Ctrl-Meta-Left to move the mouse pointer to left, but I would like 
to have a key combination that would press a mouse button too! It would 
be really nice in Netscape, cut&paste in xterms etc. when mouse isn't in 
reach of the hand.. Maybe it is possible even now, I am not certain, but 
if it isn't, please add it!

As an inspiration of a _GREAT_ looking window system, check out the 
following URL (it will be possible to make FVWM look like this when the 
pixmap support is done ;-)): 
  - ---- --------------------------------------------------- ---- -- -
 .       |\      _,,,---,,_       Kim Lassila    a.k.a   _/ .  _//    .
 . ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_ Juhannuskatu 18         (  )|\( />'   .
 :      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'  20300 Turku           _)/_'-\)(     :
 |     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)        -FiNLAND-           '      '       |
 |     ...studying Computer Science at the University of Turku...     |
 `-----------------------> [email-masked] \/ [email-masked] <--'

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 09:54:05 -0500

>>>>> "Kim" == Kim Lassila <[email-masked]> writes:

Kim> Is this pixmap-support under development already?

Nope - sorry.  And it won't be until after the first official release
most likely.  I'd much rather get some bugs fixed and docs cleaned up
first.

Kim> And what about the Mac-stylish WindowShade function?

Nope, not yet.  See above comment.  Unless someone else wants to take
a stab at this module sooner.

Kim> Is it possible to bind a key to mouse buttons? I know it is easy
Kim> to bind e.g. Ctrl-Meta-Left to move the mouse pointer to left,
Kim> but I would like to have a key combination that would press a
Kim> mouse button too! It would be really nice in Netscape, cut&paste
Kim> in xterms etc. when mouse isn't in reach of the hand.. Maybe it
Kim> is possible even now, I am not certain, but if it isn't, please
Kim> add it!

We've discussed this here before, but I guess I should put this in the
FAQ as well.

Making fvwm generate ButtonPress events is ok in theory, but a lot of
applications ignore events marked SYNTHETIC, which these would be.  If
I get a chance, I'll experiment with it, but I can't promise anything
(it is on the TO-DO list, BTW).

I hate making all these negative responses, so I'd better redeem
myself with a positive one: If you'd like to do cut-n-paste via
keystrokes though, you can do that now via xcb.  Grab it from
ftp.x.org or your favorite mirror.

Kim> As an inspiration of a _GREAT_ looking window system, check out the
Kim> following URL (it will be possible to make FVWM look like this when the
Kim> pixmap support is done ;-)):

What URL?  It was missing from the note and I'd be curious to see it.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're
  [email-masked],              just havin' a nightmare--of course,
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    we are still in Hell." Gary Larson
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].