Subject: FVWM: Linux .au sound player

From: "Eric F. Kahler ([email-masked])" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 12:17:09 -0500

Does anyone know of a .au player for Linux that I can use in conjuction with 
FvwmAudio?

Thanks.

-- 
From:  Eric Kahler.
[email-masked] 
http://mars.superlink.net/user/ekahler/index.html           

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Boyns)
Date: 28 Jan 1996 09:59:48 -0800

>>>>> "Eric" == "Eric F Kahler (ekahler@mars superlink net)" <[email-masked]> writes:

    Eric> Does anyone know of a .au player for Linux that I can use in
    Eric> conjuction with FvwmAudio?

FvwmAudio supports rplay which does run on Linux.  You can also set
the FvwmAudio sound play command to execute a simple shell script
like this:

#!/bin/sh
cat $1 > /dev/audio

-- 
Mark Boyns <[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.sdsu.edu/~boyns/>
PGP fingerprint = D3 28 A2 F7 D1 4C F8 EE  BF 7A 11 54 1C E5 6E CC
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Raymond Toy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 14:20:50 -0500

Mark> FvwmAudio supports rplay which does run on Linux.  You can also set
    Mark> the FvwmAudio sound play command to execute a simple shell script

[script deleted]

My personal favorite is auplay that is part of NAS, Network Audio
System.  The whole package might be a bit too big for you, but, it has
one major advantage over rplay: if two sounds are played at almost the
same time, the sounds are added together so that you hear both.  With
rplay, I think the second sound is blocked until the first one is done
playing.  This is rather annoying if you use sounds a lot.

NAS runs on builds on linux without problems.

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Boyns)
Date: 28 Jan 1996 12:02:51 -0800

>>>>> "Raymond" == Raymond Toy <[email-masked]> writes:

    Raymond> My personal favorite is auplay that is part of NAS,
    Raymond> Network Audio System.  The whole package might be a bit
    Raymond> too big for you, but, it has one major advantage over
    Raymond> rplay: if two sounds are played at almost the same time,
    Raymond> the sounds are added together so that you hear both.
    Raymond> With rplay, I think the second sound is blocked until the
    Raymond> first one is done playing.  This is rather annoying if
    Raymond> you use sounds a lot.

Indeed, NAS is another good option.  I really shouldn't get into this
on the fvwm list, but Raymond's message isn't correct.  By default
rplay can play 12 sounds simultaneously and it has always been this
way.

While we're talking about NAS, would anyone like to add built-in
support for NAS to FvwmAudio?  This would greatly improve performance
for NAS users.