Subject: FVWM: Re: Simple Key Bindings.

From: Robert Tarrall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 18:00:38 -0700

Dave Goldberg wrote:
-> >>>>> Robert Tarrall writes:
-> 
-> Robert> I too would very much like to see this.  Perhaps the syntax
-> Robert> could be something like "StartsOnDesk 0:1" for page 1 of desk
-> Robert> 0?  Then the X geometry could be interpreted as being relative
-> Robert> to that page rather than the current page...
-> 
-> This would certainly be alot nicer than what I do now, which is
-> calculate the screenwidth and height with xdpyinfo and specify
-> geometry with appropriate multiples of those values.  However for
-> those who want to do it, an example would be
-> xterm -geometry +0+`expr $SCREENHEIGHT`

That's what I was doing too, only it was so ugly I was embarrassed to
admit it.  :-)  I delved into the source with the intention of coming up
with some fix for this, only to discover that there is a way to do
something that's close enough for my purposes - use the "GotoPage"
function.  Here's an example of how to use it:

AddToFunc StartTin      "I"     Desk 0 0
+       "I"     GotoPage 0 1
+       "I"     Exec xterm -geometry 98x64+0+0 -ls -e /usr/local/bin/tin &

This should move to desk 0, then to the second page down on the left,
then start up an xterm running tin.  Seems to work from any initial
desk.

It would be sort of nice to have the client start on the new desk and
page without switching to that page, but I think that would require mods
to the source code to do.

			-Robert Tarrall.-
			Unix System/Network Admin
			Laboratory for Computational Dynamics
			CU - Boulder
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 09:22:15 -0500

>>>>> "Robert" == Robert Tarrall <[email-masked]> writes:

Robert> Dave Goldberg wrote:

Robert> That's what I was doing too, only it was so ugly I was
Robert> embarrassed to admit it.  :-)

Don't be embarrased.  That's the way I do it too.

Robert> I delved into the source with the intention of coming up with
Robert> some fix for this, only to discover that there is a way to do
Robert> something that's close enough for my purposes - use the
Robert> "GotoPage" function.

The problem with that being that it can only be used in the .fvwm2rc,
which I know many people would rather start their apps in the .xinitrc
(I'm in that group as well).  I'm sure that they would like to be able
to do this too.

....
Robert> It would be sort of nice to have the client start on the new
Robert> desk and page without switching to that page, but I think that
Robert> would require mods to the source code to do.

Yup, it will require mods to the source.  But, I kinda like this idea,
so I've added it to the TO-DO list:

  - Add StartsOnPage x y or something similiar to compliment
    StartsOnDesk (and add X resource FvwmPage which will be analogous
    to the Desk X resource, which I think should be renamed to
    FvwmDesk)

Chuck

---

From: Michael Tiefenback <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 09:33:33 -0500 (EST)

> -> >>>>> Robert Tarrall writes:

Question about a StartsOnDesk feature (which, BTW, exists! but only for 
the Desk value)...

> to the source code to do.

That is where the SkipMapping feature works, which I learned about from 
this very list!  Here is what I use (two examples):

Style "xv"         StartsOnDesk 4, SkipMapping
Style "Mosaic"     StartsOnDesk 4, SkipMapping

A desire was also expressed to know about features specific to fvwm2, to 
motivate further effort in the conversion to fvwm2.  I have been very 
happy about the per-window style features which have been added in fvwm2, 
and I have used the additional modules, at least on occasion.  I just 
recently wiped all of my saved fvwm mailing-list messages, as I found I 
referred to them essentially never.  The message from Rob Nation about 
the SkipMapping feature was prompted by another user poking about in the 
source and asking whether a feature provided for by this declaration had 
been implemented.  Nation (forgive me if I am garbling the recollection) 
essentially confessed that the feature was indeed functional, but that in
the passage of the info through several software layers, the name was 
changed in subtle ways so as to hide the path to the uninitiated (not 
deliberately, but in fact).  He also mentioned that he currently used 
this feature.  I, too, now use it and am very grateful for it.  I have 
not discovered why some of my applications override the 
SmartPlacement/RandomPlacement declaration (certain Motif applications 
just pop up on my screen even when they cover other windows; I suspect 
this has to do with the PPosition stuff I saw on the list but can't find 
in the manpage) and others don't.  xv, for instance, will start on the 
specified Desk, but if the window doesn't have a large enough hole on the 
page I'm currently displaying, fvwm will make me pick a placement for it 
on the present page.  The window then disappears, as if the app had 
crashed, but it is indeed properly set up on the specified Desk.  This 
seems to be a bug in the SkipMapping and *Placement interaction.

Michael Tiefenback, 

happy to be able to provide some constructive info back to the list users....
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].