Subject: FVWM: Compiling fvwm-2

From: Al Lovrich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 21:00:16 -0700 (MST)

I am trying to compile fvwm that picked off sunsite and am having trouble 
getting it going. The failure occurs when I try to build the fvwm file 
itself. The failure message is:

../libs/libfvwm.a(GetFont.o)(.text+0x8f): undefined reference to  \
`XLoadQueryFont '

I am using Linux-aout, 1.2.13, gcc version 2.7.2 (had the same problem 
with 2.6.3), and Xfree 3.1.2. Any help is appreciated.

--
Regards,
Al Lovrich
Microchip Technology, Inc.
[email-masked]

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Niels Larsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 08:01:53 -0600

Al Lovrich,

I had the same problem, as have many others. Time ago a kind person
from .uk (whose name I have forgotten) posted a patch,  which worked
for me. Put the lines below in a file (eg 'make.patch') and use the command 
patch < make.patch makefile.h, where makefile.h is the one being distributed
in the top directory of fvwm just after it untar'ed. It looks like the 
problem is a wrong link command, which has the libraries in the wrong 
order. I wish someone would upload a new copy with this fix included, since
at least all Linux users will have this problem. 

I will now spend the weekend on making .fvwm2rc .. but might some of you 
have such files already, that I or others could build on? Anyway, I shall 
post mine somewhere, if I ever finish it. 

Niels Larsen, [email-masked]

*** makefile.h.orig	Wed Oct 18 20:10:19 1995
--- makefile.h	Thu Dec 21 12:07:26 1995
***************
*** 58,70 ****
  
  #ifdef AlphaArchitecture
! LOCAL_LIBRARIES = XPM_LIBRARIES $(ADD_LIB) $(XLIB) -ldnet_stub -L$(FVWM_SRCDIR)/libs -l$(LIB)
  #else
  #ifdef HPArchitecture
! LOCAL_LIBRARIES = XPM_LIBRARIES $(ADD_LIB) $(XLIB) -lV3 -L$(FVWM_SRCDIR)/libs -l$(LIB)
  #else
  #ifdef i386SVR4Architecture
! LOCAL_LIBRARIES = XPM_LIBRARIES $(ADD_LIB) $(XLIB) -lnsl -lsocket -L$(FVWM_SRCDIR)/libs -l$(LIB)
  #else
! LOCAL_LIBRARIES = XPM_LIBRARIES $(ADD_LIB) $(XLIB) $(FVWM_SRCDIR)/libs/lib$(LIB).a
  #endif /* i386SVR4Architecture */
  #endif /* HPArchitecture */
--- 58,70 ----
  
  #ifdef AlphaArchitecture
! LOCAL_LIBRARIES = -L$(FVWM_SRCDIR)/libs -l$(LIB) XPM_LIBRARIES $(ADD_LIB) $(XLIB) -ldnet_stub
  #else
  #ifdef HPArchitecture
! LOCAL_LIBRARIES = -L$(FVWM_SRCDIR)/libs -l$(LIB) XPM_LIBRARIES $(ADD_LIB) $(XLIB) -lV3
  #else
  #ifdef i386SVR4Architecture
! LOCAL_LIBRARIES = -L$(FVWM_SRCDIR)/libs -l$(LIB) XPM_LIBRARIES $(ADD_LIB) $(XLIB) -lnsl -lsocket
  #else
! LOCAL_LIBRARIES = $(FVWM_SRCDIR)/libs/lib$(LIB).a XPM_LIBRARIES $(ADD_LIB) $(XLIB)
  #endif /* i386SVR4Architecture */
  #endif /* HPArchitecture */
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Chris Rode <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 13:45:21 CST

[email-masked] writes:

} I will now spend the weekend on making .fvwm2rc .. but might some of you 
} have such files already, that I or others could build on? Anyway, I shall 
} post mine somewhere, if I ever finish it. 

you can get to my .fvwm2rc at
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~crode/dotfiles.html

--chris

--
chris rode - [email-masked] - http://www.public.iastate.edu/~crode/
oh that i should be ever so lonely, drivin' the pain right through to my
heart, oh that i should be ever so lonely, ridin' the pain like a fool
in the dark --erasure, "rescue me" - "but i don't understand!" *sluurp!*
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 09:23:11 GMT

> Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 21:00:16 -0700 (MST)
> From: Al Lovrich <[email-masked]>
> 

This is an old one, the order of libraries in the makefile is incorrect,
-lfvwm should be first.

-- 
Mark Powell, Senior Software Engineer <[email-masked]>
Primagraphics Limited, Graphics Court, Melbourn Science Park,
Melbourn, Royston, Herts SG8 6EJ, England. Tel. +44 1763 262041
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 09:01:25 -0500

>>>>> "Niels" == Niels Larsen <[email-masked]> writes:

Niels> Al Lovrich,

Niels> I had the same problem, as have many others. Time ago a kind
Niels> person from .uk (whose name I have forgotten) posted a patch,
Niels> which worked for me. Put the lines below in a file (eg
Niels> 'make.patch') and use the command patch < make.patch
Niels> makefile.h, where makefile.h is the one being distributed in
Niels> the top directory of fvwm just after it untar'ed. It looks like
Niels> the problem is a wrong link command, which has the libraries in
Niels> the wrong order. I wish someone would upload a new copy with
Niels> this fix included, since at least all Linux users will have
Niels> this problem.

The next release will be out as soon as I can get it out there.  I
wanted to release it today, but didn't get a chance to do as much with
fvwm this weekend as I wanted.  It'll be ready soon though (whatever
'soon' means).

Niels> I will now spend the weekend on making .fvwm2rc .. but might
Niels> some of you have such files already, that I or others could
Niels> build on? Anyway, I shall post mine somewhere, if I ever finish
Niels> it.

Take a look at the web sites in the FAQ.  One (or several) of them
include configuration examples, and there is an ftp site with lots of
config examples cited on one of them.

Also, I plan to beef up the sample one before the first official
release.

Chuck