Subject: FVWM: IRIX 5.3 xwsh icon titles

From: Adam Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 96 15:07:25 EST

This is a long shot, but I'm hoping there are some people out there
using fvwm under IRIX 5.3 who might know about this.

The X client programs xwsh, wsh, and winterm all seem to set the property:

	WM_ICON_NAME(COMPOUND_TEXT)

which contains the icon title in hex.  xterm, on the other hand, sets

	WM_ICON_NAME(STRING) 

to the icon title in ASCII.  4Dwm (SGI IRIX window manager) correctly
displays the icon titles for xwsh, etc.  But fvwm's icon titles for
these clients are blank!  Is there an easy way to get fvwm to convert
the WM_ICON_NAME(COMPOUND_TEXT) to the icon title and use that instead
of looking for WM_ICON_NAME(COMPOUND_TEXT) (which I'm guessing it's
doing now)?

Any help would be appreciated!

							-- Adam
=============================================================================
Adam Porter ([email-masked])     http://www-caip.rutgers.edu/~porter
Systems Programmer:CAIP Center,Rutgers University,Piscataway,NJ: 908/445-0655
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 1996 15:25:15 +0900

porter> 4Dwm (SGI IRIX window manager) correctly displays the icon
porter> titles for xwsh, etc.  But fvwm's icon titles for these
porter> clients are blank!

This is because that fvwm doesn't know how to treat CTEXT string. We
"fvwm users' mailing list in japan" already made a patch for handling
CTEXT string, to display Japanese character in fvwm/modules. This
patch uses X11 I18N feature, so fvwm will display whatever languages
locale can handle (if client sets collect value :-p).

- -
Makoto 'MAR_kun' MATSUSHITA
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 1996 11:06:44 +0000

On Thu, 04 Jan 1996 15:07:25 -0500 (EST)
Adam Porter <[email-masked]> 
> of looking for WM_ICON_NAME(COMPOUND_TEXT) (which I'm guessing it's

Just for the record I'm using fvwm 2.0.39 on an Irix 6.0.1 box and
xwsh, etc, display icon titles just fine. I was playing around with
a 5.3 box a few weeks ago and don't remember any problems (though
I could be mistaken ... I mainly use xterms).

Ric

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Richard J. Lister    [email-masked] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Research Assistant, Neural Computing Research Group
                  Aston University, Birmingham B4 7ET, UK
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://neural-server.aston.ac.uk/~listerrj/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~