Subject: Re: FVWM: Simple Key Bindings.

From: Robert Tarrall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 16:04:24 -0700

David Kennedy wrote:
-> other managers that would be very useful. I'm most familiar with olvwm (I wo
-> rked under
-> Olwm when I started my PhD) and it has one feature I miss, you were able to 
-> take a full
-> window, drag it into the Pager and drop it in another window, satying where 
-> you were.

Within the pager, you can grab the image of a window and move it to other
pages or desks while staying where you are.  Middle mouse button does this
for me, although I don't know if that's the default or something I added.
Give it a try...

-> A system of being able to say which 'page' of a 'desk' an application starts
->  on would also be
-> useful, I like sliding between pages yet can't specify applications to go on
->  Desk 1, page 2,
-> say 4 programs start on desk 1 at once, it gets crowded.

I too would very much like to see this.  Perhaps the syntax could be
something like "StartsOnDesk 0:1" for page 1 of desk 0?  Then the
X geometry could be interpreted as being relative to that page rather
than the current page...

			-Robert Tarrall.-
			Unix System/Network Admin
			Laboratory for Computational Dynamics
			CU - Boulder
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 18:44:16 -0500

>>>>> Robert Tarrall writes:

Robert> I too would very much like to see this.  Perhaps the syntax
Robert> could be something like "StartsOnDesk 0:1" for page 1 of desk
Robert> 0?  Then the X geometry could be interpreted as being relative
Robert> to that page rather than the current page...

This would certainly be alot nicer than what I do now, which is
calculate the screenwidth and height with xdpyinfo and specify
geometry with appropriate multiples of those values.  However for
those who want to do it, an example would be

xterm -geometry +0+`expr $SCREENHEIGHT`

which puts the xterm on the page one below where I'm currently at
(because geometry is always relative to the current page).  I don't
use it enough to generalize it into a shell script, though that would
be pretty easy, but I do use it in my .X11Startup file for those
things I always start.  Of course it does mean I can't move out of the
first page until everything has mapped when I log in.
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B020\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Domain: [email-masked]  UUCP: {your neighborhood}!linus!mdf!dsg