Subject: FVWM: FVWM doesn't like Solaris Direct X?

From: Jake Hamby <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 17:21:34 -0800 (PST)

I recently upgraded from Solaris 2.4 to Solaris 2.5 and just noticed the
Direct X library in /opt/SUNWdxlib.  Basically, if you set
/opt/SUNdxlib/lib/dxlib/SunOS5.x in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable ahead of
the others, then X programs will link with a special version of Xlib that
allows them to access the local screen as much as 50-175% faster by using
Sun's DGA extension. 

Needless to say that sounded pretty interesting so I added the appropriate
line to my .xinitrc, and it turns out that FVWM does not like these
libraries!  FVWM 1.24r crashed after just a few seconds (and seemed to
take much longer to start up), and FVWM 2.0.39 seemed to work okay, then
crashed when I selected Exit.  In both cases, the entire screen froze and
I had to kill the X server from a remote login... 

According to the Direct Xlib answerbook, normal X11 applications should 
not have any problems with these libraries, unless they reach below the 
X11 API or attempt to extend it.  I doubt that FVWM does either of these 
things.  Has anyone tried anything similar with FVWM (I know an older 
version of Direct Xlib was in Solaris 2.4, and perhaps earlier)?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Jake Hamby				|   E-Mail:  [email-masked]
  Student, Cal Poly University, Pomona  |   System Administrator, JPL
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 09:42:06 -0500

>>>>> "Jake" == Jake Hamby <[email-masked]> writes:

Jake> I recently upgraded from Solaris 2.4 to Solaris 2.5 and just
Jake> noticed the Direct X library in /opt/SUNWdxlib.  Basically, if
Jake> you set /opt/SUNdxlib/lib/dxlib/SunOS5.x in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Jake> variable ahead of the others, then X programs will link with a
Jake> special version of Xlib that allows them to access the local
Jake> screen as much as 50-175% faster by using Sun's DGA extension.

Well that sounds pretty interesting.

Jake> Needless to say that sounded pretty interesting so I added the
Jake> appropriate line to my .xinitrc, and it turns out that FVWM does
Jake> not like these libraries!  FVWM 1.24r crashed after just a few
Jake> seconds (and seemed to take much longer to start up), and FVWM
Jake> 2.0.39 seemed to work okay, then crashed when I selected Exit.
Jake> In both cases, the entire screen froze and I had to kill the X
Jake> server from a remote login...

Hm.  Not good at all.

Jake> According to the Direct Xlib answerbook, normal X11 applications
Jake> should not have any problems with these libraries, unless they
Jake> reach below the X11 API or attempt to extend it.  I doubt that
Jake> FVWM does either of these things.  Has anyone tried anything
Jake> similar with FVWM (I know an older version of Direct Xlib was in
Jake> Solaris 2.4, and perhaps earlier)?

I don't compile under Solaris (normally), and don't have access to
version 2.5 regardless, and haven't seen anyone else mention this
before either, but you could try modifying the makefile and linking
against those libs directly and seeing how well it links and runs
then.

Theoretically it shouldn't make a difference, but I'd try it anyways.

Also, try another window manager (like twm, olwm, or mwm) and see how
it reacts.

Hope this helps,
Chuck