Subject: FVWM: upgrading from 1.24 to 2.0.39 (installation woes)

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 95 17:45:08 +0100

Hi everybody.	(Great job done, Rob & Chuck, THANX !!!!!)

I've been using fvwm1.24 for more than a year.
Then I recently heard of fvwm2 development, and tried it out.
Here're the notes I took, while installing (took some days).
I installed fvwm in a local (home directory) subtree.

1) while building FVWM2 (sun IPC Solaris 1.4.3), I had some problems.

    o	first fvwm didn't link, because it couldn't find libxpm.a 
	(in /XTech/lib/X11 on our sun, don't know if this is a non-standard
	installation) adding this directory to LD_LIBRARY_PATH worked.

    o	then there was the basename problem (which I edited out).

    o	gcc gave the following warnings.

	    FvwmIconBox.c: In function `main':
	    FvwmIconBox.c:221: warning: passing arg 1 of `XFree' from
		incompatible pointer type
	    FvwmIconBox.c: In function `Loop':
	    FvwmIconBox.c:459: warning: passing arg 1 of `XFree' from
		incompatible pointer type
	    FvwmIconBox.c: In function `freeitem':
	    FvwmIconBox.c:2304: warning: passing arg 1 of `XFree' from
	    incompatible pointer type

	    FvwmPrompt.c: In function `main':
	    FvwmPrompt.c:66: warning: assignment makes pointer from
		integer without a cast

	    GrabWindow.c: In function `Loop':
	    GrabWindow.c:594: warning: passing arg 1 of `XFree' from
	   	incompatible pointer type
	    GrabWindow.c: In function `GrabWindow':
	    GrabWindow.c:859: warning: passing arg 1 of `XFree' from
		incompatible pointer type

	after changing the install paths to a local tree (~albrecht/bin)

	    install -c -m 0755 fvwmrc_convert /XTech"/usr/lib/X11/fvwm2"
	    install: /XTech/usr/lib/X11/fvwm2: No such file or directory
	    *** Error code 1
	    make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install'
	    Current working directory /home/vta_host/albrecht/fvwm/utils
	    *** Error code 1
	    make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install'
	    Exit 1

    o	/XTech is the value of DESTDIR.
	When I changed this to a local path, I got:

	    make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target
	    `/net/vta_host/home/vta_host/albrecht/lib/libXext.a'

	since this one is from /XTech/lib

	I think, source libraries shouldn't be refererenced via DESTDIR.

    o	fvwmrc_convert needs gawk (not installed here), does it depend
	on gnu specific functions, or can one also use awk.
	(it's too late for me, I converted by hand)

2) after fvwm2 was up & running, I got the following errors, I couldn't
	explain/fix

    o	fvwm: ColormapFocus requires 1 arg: FollowsFocus or FollowsMouse
	I don't know what's wrong - the line looks like:
	ColormapFocus		followsfocus
	(I also tried capitalized FollowsFocus)

	now that I`ve done several other things to my .fvwm2rc, this
	message has vanished mysteriously.

    o	the following is not the fault of fvwm, but hostname doesn't
	return the full address for our domain:
		17:16 ~> hostname
		vta_host
		17:27 ~>
	while the full name is vta_host.auto.tuwien.ac.at

	$HOSTDISPLAY seems to get its value from hostname, so I can't
	use it for what it's intended for. (I work around with sth.
	like -display ${HOST}.auto.tuwien.ac.at for remote xterms.

    o	menues created with
		AddToMenu "name"
		+ 	"xxx"	tilte
	display with a nop "" line on top
	(ok, I RTFM'd, but I'd like this style more - better overview)

	menus without title have an empty half line at the top, if the
	first menu item isn't specified on the same line (i.e with a
	\n+... )
	
    o	Also I cant get the doubleclick function of "menu" to work.
	*FvwmButtons -	   xterm.xpm	Menu Xterms	Exec xterm
		-title $HOST -display $HOSTDISPLAY &    

	In Fvwm1 I used the following undocumented "feature":

	Function "DoorQuit"
		Exec		"Motion"	exec @@
		Quit 		"Click"
	EndFunction

	*TermStuff Door	   Door.xpm	Function "DoorQuit"

	the first click was consumed by Termstuff, then if a second 
	"single Click" followed, it would quit or otherwise execute
	the command @@ (door opener) after the motion-timeout.
	(immediate was not usable, and using doubleClick resulted in a
	triple-click needed, but then Click wouldn't work any more)

	BTW: Is there any way to have the left mouse button bound to a
	different function than the right (or middle) one?

	How can I possibly get the following behaviour:

		I press the mouse button on a FvwmButton button and
			move the mouse  -> popup menu (for fast
							selection) 
		I click -> menu (stays up, for novices)
		I DoubleClick -> another function
		
	possibly with different functions/menus on the different mouse
	buttons. 

	I'd like to specify sothing along this lines:

	AddToFunc "Button1"
	+	mouse-1-Motion		popup Xterms
	+	mouse-1-Click		menu Xterms
	+	mouse-1-DoubleClick	exec xterm &
	+	mouse-2-Motion		popup Tools
	+	mouse-2-Click		menu Tools
	+	mouse-2-DoubleClick	TogglePage

	*TermStuff xterms xterm.xpm Function Button1

3) Could someone, who's an expert in fvwm2 syntax please reread the
	manual?  The mix of fvwm and fvwm2 style definitions is rather
	confusing:  

	e.g: the popup example seems to be a leftover from robs fvwm1:

                Popup "Utilities"
                    Title   "Utilities"
                    Exec    "Xterm"         exec xterm &
                    Exec    "Rxvt"          exec rxvt &
                    Exec    "Top"           exec rxvt -T Top -n Top -e top &
                    Exec    "Calculator"    exec xcalc &
                    Exec    "Xman"          exec xman &
                    Exec    "Xmag"          exec xmag &
                    Nop     ""
                    Popup   "Exit Fvwm"     Quit-Verify
                EndPopup

	I figured that this is not legal any more: As I read it,
	popups are defined via AddToMenu and are only called via "PopUp"
	instead of "Menu".

	I think there are more leftovers, (which I just didn't
	recognize as such)

albrecht
-- 
"I don't think so" said Rene Descartes.
Just then, he vanished.
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].