Subject: FVWM: Re: [PATCH] Icon alignment for fvwm-2.0.39

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 15:02:30 -0500

>>>>> "DS" == Dick Streefland <[email-masked]> writes:

DS> Hello Chuck,

Hi Dick.

DS> I'm sending you a patch for fvwm-2.0.39 which lets you align the icon
DS> windows on a grid. I like to keep my icons in a strait row, even when
DS> they are shuffled around. Originally, I made the patch for fvwm-1.24l,
DS> which I used for quite a while. Now that I switched to fvwm-2.0, I
DS> adapted and enhanced it a bit. The icon alignment is optional: you have
DS> to add a "Style ... IconGrid ..." to enable it. Please read the updated
DS> manual page for a complete description. I hope you will find this a
DS> useful addition to fvwm.

Thanks for the patch.  I'll take a look at it, but at first glance I
doubt I'll include it verbatim.  I have another patch that was sent to
me a while ago that changes the IconBox behavior that I have to look
over better as well.  The two patches cover different, but related
things (Icon placment).

Instead of adding another sizeable field to the FvwmWindow structure
for the IconGrid (as you have done), what might be better would be for
me to merge some of the functionality of the two patches together,
minimizing memory usage and maximizing functionality.  Like the
ability to make an IconBox area operate with a grid behavior.

Thanks,
Chuck
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dick Streefland <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 10:02:28 +0100 (MET)

| Instead of adding another sizeable field to the FvwmWindow structure
| for the IconGrid (as you have done), what might be better would be for
| me to merge some of the functionality of the two patches together,
| minimizing memory usage and maximizing functionality.  Like the
| ability to make an IconBox area operate with a grid behavior.

Yes, but it is still usefull to align icons placed outside an IconBox.
So, I think it makes sense to use a grid for the whole screen rather
than only inside an IconBox.

-- 
Dick Streefland              ////         Tasking Software BV
[email-masked]            (@ @)             The Netherlands

---

From: Nan Zou <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 16:50:25 -0800 (PST)

> than only inside an IconBox.

I disagree, having an icon grid makes much sense inside the icon box
since you want a rigid arrangement of icons inside the box.  But outside
of the icon box I want to place the icons wherever I choose.  One thing
I hate about some UIs is that they snap the icon to some pre-defined
grid instead of where you originally place it, this goes against the 
Unix/X philosophy of flexibility and user-control.

--
Nan Zou                              650 Castro Street, Suite 270
Systems Engineer                     Mountain View, California 94041
Stanford Management Group, Inc.      Phone: +1 (415) 903-9193
#include <std/disclaimer.h>          Fax:   +1 (415) 903-9378
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Todd Fries)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 14:21:41 -0600 (CST)

> Unix/X philosophy of flexibility and user-control.

That's where a grid of 0 spacing comes in handy! (assuming this is a
user-configurable value).

-- 
Todd [email-masked]
http://www.cs.umr.edu/~tfries
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].