Subject: FVWM: Fvwm suggestions

From: "David A. Berson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 10:39:51 -0500 (EST)

Greetings!

I have recently converted to fvwm-2.0.39 from ctwm-3.3.  Overall I'm
very pleased.  However, I have some suggested improvements.  As you
might expect, these are features in ctwm :)

Comments/suggestions welcome.

Fvwm
+  Provide a "moveDelta" for motion triggers.  A motion trigger will only
   occur if you move the mouse more than a specified X pixels within a
   specified time.  Thus, you would not be required to have the hands of
   a surgeon if you have an Immediate or Move function.
      
+  Provide a "focusOnly" function, i.e., redirects keyboard focus to a
   specified window, but does not raise the window or warp the cursor to
   it.  This very useful with Icon Managers where you can slide the mouse
   just a little to move between a bunch of windows.

   Invariably when I'm hot and heavy into debugging I have a bunch of
   windows I'm switching between alot and don't need to see the whole thing.

+  Allow some form of "warp" to indicated position.  When I do want to warp
   to a window I'd prefer to be able to have the cursor go somewhere other
   than the upper left corner.  Maybe a percentage form would be nice,
   warp x% y%, so
      warp 50 50
   would place the cursor in the middle of the specified window.

+  Why was the cursor stuff removed?  I don't care for some of the cursors.

+  I'm not sure where this one goes, either in Fvwm or in FvwmPager. 
   Basically I find "stick" rather restrictive, its an "all or one" thing.
   What I would like is to have windows exist in a general subset of
   pages/desks.  Then provide an "occupy" function ala ctwm.   When you
   select a window to apply this function to, a set of buttons pop up, one
   for each desk and page.  You select which places the window occurs on
   by depressing/undepressing buttons and then click on an "OK".

FvwmPager
+  Allow pager to toggle between the current map and a set of buttons (ala
   ctwm).  When the pager is just buttons there would be buttons for each
   desk and each page in each desk.  Clicking a button takes you to that
   desk/page.  Support toggling by both some form of function/message to
   the module and a key press (e.g. control) in the pager window.

+  Allow separate sizes for map and buttons configurations.  The buttons
   don't need to take up as much room as the map.

FvwmIconMan
+  Make each entry appear as a button (ala ctwm)
+  Make button corresponding to window with focus depressed/raised (opposite
   of other icon buttons)
+  Allow an action to be bound to the entering of these buttons.  E.g.,
   just placing the mouse on an icon button directs focus to the corresponding
   window (see the focus only function above).
+  Allow ignoring of transient windows.
+  Add regular expressions as mentioned in man page
+  Maybe add the next/prev stuff from ctwm

FvwmAuto
+  Allow only certain windows to autoRaise.  The recent ctwms to this.
   In general, I don't like auto raising.  However, I prefer allowing
   things like clock and FvwmPager/ctwm's workspaces to autoRaise as
   opposed to having them always on top.

+  Maybe allow different raise delays for windows, using wildcards

David A. Berson.
[email-masked]
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].