Subject: FVWM: FvwmConfig

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 04:19:45 -0800 (PST)

I was finally able to get FvwmConfig to compile under Slackware 
Linux by creating a symlink in the /usr/src/fvwm/libs directory to the 
libX11.a on my system.  You might want to put a note about this in your 
INSTALL file.

ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.a /usr/src/fvwm/libs/libX11.a

like that.  Now it compiles.  I hope it runs too.

+---------------------------------+
| o    [email-masked]     o |
|      Portland, Oregon, USA      |
| o    Running Linux 1.2.8      o |
+---------------------------------+

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Gregory Margo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 11:12:22 -0800 (PST)

> like that.  Now it compiles.  I hope it runs too.

Clearly, the "right" thing to do is add "-L /usr/X11R6/lib" to your
makefile, not create symbolic links.  I assume you're using the
"makefile" instead of the "Imakefile".

BTW, I'd like to point out a small problem with having a "makefile" in
the FvwmConfig directory.  If you use the Imakefile to create a "Makefile",
and don't remove the "makefile", then make(1) (at least GNU make) will
choose the "makefile" in preference to the "Makefile".  I propose that
the "makefile" be renamed to "makefile.std" or similar, to avoid this
conflict.  Other packages follow this convention when a standard makefile
is supplied in addition to an Imakefile.

gm
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Gregory H. Margo                 No free speech restrictions on the Internet!
[email-masked]
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 15:06:17 -0500

>>>>> "Gregory" == Gregory Margo <[email-masked]> writes:

Gregory> BTW, I'd like to point out a small problem with having a
Gregory> "makefile" in the FvwmConfig directory.  If you use the
Gregory> Imakefile to create a "Makefile", and don't remove the
Gregory> "makefile", then make(1) (at least GNU make) will choose the
Gregory> "makefile" in preference to the "Makefile".  I propose that
Gregory> the "makefile" be renamed to "makefile.std" or similar, to
Gregory> avoid this conflict.  Other packages follow this convention
Gregory> when a standard makefile is supplied in addition to an
Gregory> Imakefile.

Already renamed for the next release...

Chuck