Subject: FVWM: Windows'95 look-alike rc files

From: [email-masked] (Bryan Bartone)
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 17:52:26 -0500 (EST)

Gotta set-up a linux box for windows '95 people.  Any got a fvwm2rc
file that will give me that look and feel?

oo Bryan S. Bartone | Logicon-Syscon Corp
oo [email-masked], [email-masked]    
oo voice: (401)849-6270x389 | fax: (401)849-5631

---

From: [email-masked] (Todd Fries)
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 17:23:50 -0600 (CST)

> file that will give me that look and feel?

Well, not maybe more than you hoped for, how'd you like to have a
window manager (a hack of bowman which is a hack of fvwm) that looks
EXACTLY like fvwm?

I forget who did it, but it is on my web page..

http://www.cs.umr.edu/~tfries/html.cgi?file=fvwm or =linuxurls
I forget...

-- 
Todd [email-masked]
http://www.cs.umr.edu/~tfries
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 09:27:16 -0500

>>>>> "Todd" == Todd Fries <[email-masked]> writes:

>> file that will give me that look and feel?

Ugh...

Todd> Well, not maybe more than you hoped for, how'd you like to have
Todd> a window manager (a hack of bowman which is a hack of fvwm) that
Todd> looks EXACTLY like fvwm?
                         ^^^^
I think you mean win95, right?

Bowman (http://www-acs.ucsd.edu/~byang/bowman/) is a hack of fvwm 1.xx
to make it look like the Nexstep window manager, and then there is a
hack to bowman to make it look like (shudder) Windows95.

Todd> I forget who did it, but it is on my web page..

Todd> http://www.cs.umr.edu/~tfries/html.cgi?file=fvwm or =linuxurls
Todd> I forget...

Bowman itself is in:

               ftp://sdphu1.ucsd.edu/pub/byang/bowman/

The win95 patch for bowman is in:

               ftp://ftp.netppl.fi/pub/linux/win95look/

Eventually, changes may be merged into fvwm2 which will allow pixmaps
for buttons and title style changes which will allow you to create a
win95 look with it.

But until then, you'll have to go w/ the hacked bowman if you really
want the win95 look.

Chuck

---

From: "Mr. Graeme McCaffery" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 17:40:37 +0000

I've just had a look at Bowman and the bowman95 thing. They do look
really good, but I still like fvwm. Would it be possible to use Bowman's
code to get the title bars to contain those nice little icons. Also
Bowman's icons are mounted in a very nice way. Would it be possible to
add an icon style that allows icons to look the way they do in Bowman,
whilst still retaining fvwm handling of icons.
I think Bowman is a very good effort and it would be great to include an
option to compile bowman instead of fvwm, if Bowman could be brought up
to date with fvwm2.

Graeme McCaffery
P.S. I reckon Bowman is a very good name for a program.

-- 
G. McCaffery
The University of Birmingham
http://sun1.bham.ac.uk/g.mccaffery/
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 14:45:27 -0500

>file that will give me that look and feel?

tkgoodstuff can do a very functional win95-ish taskbar with a
screen-bottom bar containing menu button, buttons for open windows,
biff, and clock.  Screenshots and pointers at:
  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~markcrim/tkgoodstuff

Mark