Subject: FVWM: Bugs, problems, wishes and praises

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 1995 14:10:31 +0100 (MET)

Hi Chuck,

a few weeks ago you wrote:
> > I usually save the notes that come in for a while though - I'll look
> > back over them and see if I have any of yours that I haven't
> > addressed.

I responded:
> Thanks.  I understand that you are busy (so am i :-).  If you don't
> find the reports/questions I sent to the list, ie. if you don't
> respond to them, I'll just repost them to the list.  Okay?

So, here is a recompilation of my reports/requests:

1.) .fvwm2rc:
    I get a coredump right after fvwm2 starts, when I ask for this:
 AddToFunc XSETROOT_b "I" exec xsetroot -bitmap $0 $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 $8 $9

    But it works fine when I ask for this:
 AddToFunc XSETROOT_b "I" exec xsetroot -bitmap $0 $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 $8

    I checked the man page for fvwm2 and it says $0 - $9 is fine, though.

2.) FvwmWinList: 
    *truncateleft doesn't work.  It still truncates right.

3.) FvwmTalk:
    It doesn't accept module specifications like "*FvwmWinListUseIconNames"
    The error message is:
      "No such module /usr/local/lib/X11/fvwm2 *FvwmWinListUseIconNames"

4.) Okay, here is a tricky one:
    In my .fvwm2rc I got:
 Key Up          A       SC      CursorMove  0 -1
 Key Down        A       SC      CursorMove  0 +1
 Key Up          A       SM      CursorMove  0  -10
 Key Down        A       SM      CursorMove  0  +10

    This works beautifully, unless a (popup) menu is open.  In that
    case Shift-Control-<cursor> (and even Shift-<cursor>) acts just
    like Shift-Meta-<cursor>.  Apparently the Meta-Flag is set while
    a menu is open.  Strange.
    Control-<cursor> also moves the cursor, but it seems like in
    tenths of a step.

5.) This is not a bug, but two questions:
    a) Did fvwm1's 'Cursor' command disappear completely, or is it
       just hidden somewhere?  If it's gone, why?
    b) What about fvwm1's commands "AppsBackingStore" and "BackingStore"?
       Are they gone, too?  Why?

6.) Another question, but more tricky I am afraid:
    How can I specify that an iconified FvwmPager always opens up
    at -1+1 ?  In order to simulate the old builtin pager, I got this:
 AddToFunc InitFunction    "I" Module FvwmPager 0 1
 *FvwmPagerHilight lightsteelblue
 *FvwmPagerGeometry -1+1
 *FvwmPagerLabel 0 Standard
 *FvwmPagerLabel 1 Extended
 *FvwmPagerSmallFont 5x8
 *FvwmPagerDeskTopScale 35
 *FvwmPagerStartIconic

    It starts up iconic, just like I want to have it, but of course
    it always shows up where all the other icons are, too.  But I
    want to have it at the upper right corner.  Is that possible?

7.) I would like to second the wish for "OpaqueResize" and for
    "TogglePage" and my personal wish would be a window-specific
    AutoRaise command/module, like a style-command or so.

8.) Still playing around with fvwm 2.0.38 I found that the behavior
    of complex functions is a little different than what I was used
    to from fvwm 1.24r.  I have the following function defined:

 AddToFunc WindowOps-or-Kill	"M" Menu Window-Ops2 Nop
 +				"C" Menu Window-Ops2 Nop
 +				"D" Delete
 +				"D" Close
 +				"D" Destroy

    What I thought this would do when I double click is this:
     1.) try to Delete the window
     2.) if 1.) failed try to Close the window
     3.) if 2.) failed also, Destroy the window.

    But what happens is that the window always gets destroyed.
    Is this a bug or a feature?  If it's a feature would it be
    possible to make this behavior optional?

9.) There is a DestroyMenu for re-defining Menus and Functions, which
    is a very nice feature.  Now I was wondering whether something
    similar can be done with module options?  Something like
    DestroyModule, to get back to the default behavior of the module?
    (I am not talking about KillModule)

    Since it's not possible to supply module options in FvwmTalk, it's
    necessary to restart fvwm2 whenever I changed something in my
    FvwmButtons.  That's too bad, since I can redefine everything
    else, like menus, funcs, etc.

10) In a recent posting, Makoto 'MAR_kun' MATSUSHITA wrote that there are
    a few FVWM modules out there which are not part of the standard
    distribution (FvwmAdlLog, FvwmIconMan-0.2, FvwmWish-0.8,
    fvwish-1.0, and tkfvwm0.5 and maybe more).  Could you possibly
    put those into the distribution, let's say in a (unsupported)
    contrib directory?  I bet many people are interested in them.

Finally I have to mention (as always):
 --> FVWM is a *fabulous* vwm!  <--

Thanks,
 Andy.

PS: Oops, I just had a (second) look at the TO-DO list.  I saw
    that tops 3.) and partially 6.) are in there.
___________________________________________________________________________
TOP TEN SIGNS THAT IT'S TOO DAMN COLD
...  2. Instead of the finger, New Yorkers giving each other the mitten
...                               from LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Grant McDorman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 09:33:00 -0500

On 16:53:56 [email-masked] wrote:
[cut]
>    *truncateleft doesn't work.  It still truncates right.

Just checked this, it does work for me. Silly question: you are putting
it as:

    *FvwmWinListTruncateLeft

and not just *truncateleft (as in your message). Case shouldn't matter,
but the spelling does, of course.

I am the author of that code, by the way.

Grant McDorman <[email-masked]>
				ISG Technologies, Inc.
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].