Subject: FVWM: xpmbiff, mail notifier for fvwm ButtonBar.

From: Fredrik \Vhrstr\vm <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 1995 17:07:57 +0100 (MET)

Hi all fvwm fans.
I wanted xbiff to show in the buttonbar, however I did not want to have a
separate button to start my mailreader. Plus I wanted to have just as 
beautiful xpm pixmaps as on the other buttons. Well, since I couldn't
find such a program I wrote one myself. Perhaps there is one already, well
here is mine anyway.
-------------------
xpmbiff is a VERY simple mail notification program. It can display    
a colored and shaped window which shows the status of the spoolfile. 
It shows an empty icon if it is empty, otherwise a full icon.            
When you click on the icon it will start a program of your choice,     
probably a mail reader. When the spoolfile increase in size it will  
execute another command of your choice, for example:                  
cat mail.au > /dev/audio                                             

I have typed this in my fvwmrc file:
...
Style "xpmbiff"	   NoTitle, NoHandles, BorderWidth 0, StaysOnTop
...
*FvwmButtons - Whatever       Swallow "xpmbiff" Exec bin/xpmbiff 
bin/bitmaps/ettbrev.xpm bin/bitmaps/flerabrev.xpm 3 'xterm -e pine &' 
'cat /usr/local/hacks/sounds/effects/youvegotmail.au > /dev/audio' &
...

xpmbiff is in $HOME/bin the bitmaps in $HOME/bin/bitmaps

This is the first version, try it and use it if you like. Please mail me 
any comments and suggestions. It is made for being swallowed by GoodStuff
that is why it sets its position to 2000,2000. The pixmaps have to be
the same size.                                                       

Fredrik Öhrström [email-masked]                               
9 December 1995                                           

(I hope I am not filling anybodys spoolfile with this uuencode.
 If I am, mail me and I won't do this ever again.
 Where is the best ftp site to put this?)

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Fredrik \Vhrstr\vm <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 1995 17:17:13 +0100 (MET)

Oups, the time specified when I started the xpmbiff was too low
to be nice to the filesystem. An increase to 60 seconds is recomended.

//Fredrik

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 1995 16:12:56 -0600

>>>>> "FV" == Fredrik Vhrstrvm <[email-masked]> writes:

FV> (I hope I am not filling anybodys spoolfile with this uuencode.  If I
FV> am, mail me and I won't do this ever again.  Where is the best ftp site
FV> to put this?)

That was a pretty small archive; things like that aren't a problem.  Big
binaries aren't a good idea, though.

You can upload things to ftp.hpc.uh.edu in /pub/incoming/fvwm.  You should
heed the message you get there and inform [email-masked] when you've
uploaded files so that they can be moved.  Otherwise nobody can download
them.
---
  Jason L. Tibbitts III - [email-masked] - 713/743-8684 - 221SR1
System Manager:  Texas Center for Advanced Molecular Computation 
            1994 PC800 "Kuroneko"      DoD# 1723
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Fredrik \Vhrstr\vm <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 15:45:38 +0100 (MET)

xpmbiff is now uploaded to ftp.hpc.uh.edu in the directory /pub/fvwm/misc

I got some mails that the uuencoded file didn't work. I seems like somewhere
on the way the = changed to =3D, wich was pretty bad for uudecode.

//Fredrik