Subject: FVWM: Problems building on Solaris

From: Pete Ashdown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 12:06:21 -0700 (MST)

I couldn't get 2.0.39 to build on Solaris, the first problem I found was
because nsl and sockets wasn't being linked in, which Imake should have taken
care of, right?

The second was due to a call to "basename" in fvwm.c.  What library is this
from?
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Rob Windsor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 1995 02:07:57 -0800

> because nsl and sockets wasn't being linked in, which Imake should have taken

Sounds like it.  You might need to grab the waders and muck around in
${OPENWINHOME}/lib/config to fix the problem.

> The second was due to a call to "basename" in fvwm.c.  What library is this

I had the same problem with NetBSD/i386.  I just patched fvwm.c to remove
the basename reference.

punk:/usr/local/build/fvwm-2.0.39/fvwm>diff -c ../../../src/fvwm-2.0.39/fvwm/fvwm.c ./fvwm.c
*** ../../../src/fvwm-2.0.39/fvwm/fvwm.c        Fri Nov 10 13:13:57 1995
--- ./fvwm.c    Sun Dec 10 01:38:15 1995
***************
*** 1053,1059 ****
  void usage(void)
  {
    fprintf(stderr,"\nFvwm Version %s Usage:\n\n",VERSION);
!   fprintf(stderr,"  %s [-d dpy] [-debug] [-f config_cmd] [-s] [-blackout] [-version] [-h]\n",basename(g_argv[0]));
  }
  
  /****************************************************************************
--- 1053,1059 ----
  void usage(void)
  {
    fprintf(stderr,"\nFvwm Version %s Usage:\n\n",VERSION);
!   fprintf(stderr,"  %s [-d dpy] [-debug] [-f config_cmd] [-s] [-blackout] [-version] [-h]\n",g_argv[0]);
  }
  
  /****************************************************************************

The output looks like:

punk:/usr/local/build/fvwm-2.0.39/fvwm>./fvwm --bleck
fvwm:  Unknown option:  `--bleck'

Fvwm Version 2.0.39 Usage:

  ./fvwm [-d dpy] [-debug] [-f config_cmd] [-s] [-blackout] [-version] [-h]

My best guess is:  It would have trimmed the directory ("./") out.
Nothing major, just a cosmetic change.

Looks like libgen (libgen.h, -lgen) handles this in solaris, and libutil
(util.h (?), -lutil) in others (linux?).  (Mebbe, lots of speculation here)
Of which, neither exist in a base NetBSD system.

I had another complaint, tho.. (a minor nag).. can we use a fully-qualified
directory name in the distribution tarball?  fvwm/foo, as compared to
fvwm-2.0.39/foo, is highly annoying when I want to keep at least one old
revision around.

Otherwise, keep up the good work.

-- Rob
----------------------------------------
Internet: [email-masked]      Life: [email-masked]
"Da Web": http://pobox.com/~windsor/

"Ain't much distance 'tween a pat on the back and a kick in the pants."
    -- David Lee Roth (1990), `The Dogtown Shuffle'
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].