Subject: FVWM: Positioning iconified windows

From: [email-masked] (Laurent Duperval)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 13:43:17 -0500

Hi,

Is it possible to force positioning of iconified windows in a manner similar
to HP VUE?  I'd like to force icons to be in specific areas of the screen, in
neatly arranged columns.  For this, I would have to use specific icons for all
windows i.e. all icons are the same size.  If a user tries to move that icon
to an "invalid" position on the grid, the icon would be placed on the closest
"valid" position.  A snap-into-place type thing if you will.

Thanks in advance.

-- 
Laurent Duperval, Systems Analyst       Grafnetix Systems Inc.
Tel: (514) 861-3389                     777, de la Commune Ouest
Fax: (514) 866-6206                     Suite 101, Montreal, Qc
[email-masked]                   Canada, H3C 1Y1
URL: http://www.grafnetix.COM  
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: James LewisMoss <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 15:24:09 -0500

>  "valid" position.  A snap-into-place type thing if you will.

Yes.  use a line like
Style "*" IconBox +foo +bar +blah +yackety

(look in fvwm man page for parameters).

Along these same lines I've got a question (and I'm betting on a no answer).

I like having the styles for each window in a central place for each
window.  But if I use  FvwmIconBox I have to comment out all the global
style "blah"  Icon some.xpm

and add the the same thing below
*FvwmIconBox "blah"  some.xpm

Is there any way to get the FvwmIconBox module to grab the icon setting
from the fvwm style lines?  And is there any way to tell fvwm to not
display icons even when there are Icon style parameters?

I've looked but haven't found.

thanks
jim
-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------
James LewisMoss     | University of South Carolina | Blessed Be!
    [email-masked]  |                              | Linux is cool!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
GCS/P   d-   s++:++   a24   C++++   UL++++   P+     L+++1/2  E++
        W--  N+   o?   K  w---  !O
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours." Bach

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 16:36:53 -0500

James LewisMoss <[email-masked]> writes:
> >  Hi,
> >  
> > 
> > Is it possible to  force positioning of iconified  windows in a manner
> > similar to HP VUE?  I'd like to force icons to be in specific areas of
> > the screen, in neatly arranged columns.  For this, I would have to use
> > specific icons for all windows i.e. all icons are the same size.  If a
> > user tries to  move that ic on  to an "invalid"  position on the grid,
> > the   icon  would be  placed  on   the closest   "valid"  position.  A
> > snap-into-place type thing if you will.

> I've looked but haven't found.

I think I can help with the second part.  I use this to turn on ICONBOX
on the fly, (without removing the "sytle icon" specifications:

AddToFunc ConfigIconBox "I" module FvwmIconBox
+                       "I" Style     "*"  NoIcon
+                       "I" Recapture

AddToMenu "Module-Popup" "Modules" Title
+ "IconBox"  ConfigIconBox
...

(It is the order of execution of the style commands that is important.)

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].