Subject: FVWM: Compiling FVWM2 on (Free/Net)BSD

From: [email-masked] (David Murphy CA1)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 09:58:13 +0000 (GMT)

Has anyone successfully built Fvwm 2.0.39 on NetBSD? Or FreeBSD?
The problem I'm having arises during compilation of the Fvwm core. The
individual .c files compile ok, but when at the linking stage ld complains
about an 'undefined symbol being referenced from text segment'.

I apologise for not having the exact error message, but I do know I've had
the same problem on both FreeBSD 2.1 and NetBSD 1.1

Can anyone shed some light on the problem?
TIA,
Dave Murphy <[email-masked]>

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 08:46:51 -0500

>>>>> "David" == David Murphy CA1 <[email-masked]> writes:

David> Has anyone successfully built Fvwm 2.0.39 on NetBSD? Or
David> FreeBSD?  The problem I'm having arises during compilation of
David> the Fvwm core. The individual .c files compile ok, but when at
David> the linking stage ld complains about an 'undefined symbol being
David> referenced from text segment'.

David> I apologise for not having the exact error message, but I do
David> know I've had the same problem on both FreeBSD 2.1 and NetBSD
David> 1.1

David> Can anyone shed some light on the problem?

It would really help having the symbol that it's complaining about,
but I bet I know anyways.  It's complaining about 'basename' which is
called from fvwm.c.  I never should have put it in there, and it's
gone in the forthcoming patchlevel, so just remove the reference.

Chuck

---

From: Mark Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 17:09:34 GMT

This has become an FAQ.

There is a reference to `basename()' in fvwm/fvwm.c (I think) that does
not exist on many systems. It's used in the usage message and can be
removed.

-- 
Mark Powell, Senior Software Engineer <[email-masked]>
Primagraphics Limited, Graphics Court, Melbourn Science Park,
Melbourn, Royston, Herts SG8 6EJ, England. Tel. +44 1763 262041
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Gary Herron <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 12:44:24 -0500

> about an 'undefined symbol being referenced from text segment'.

I have built most versions of FVWM, including 2.0.39, with no
problems, both on my home NetBSD machine, and my work IRIX 5.2/5.3
machine.  Your problem appears to be some missing library.  At least
tell us the name of the undefined symbol.  Then we can tell you which
library is missing.

+-------------------+------------------------------+
| Dr. Gary Herron   |     E-mail: [email-masked]   |
| Alias | Wavefront | Snail-mail: PO Box 4561      |
| 206-628-0342      |             Seattle WA 98104 |
+-------------------+------------------------------+

---

From: Jake Hamby <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 11:54:42 -0800 (PST)

> tell us the name of the undefined symbol.  Then we can tell you which

I believe the function he's having problems with is "basename".  On my 
Solaris box at work, I had to link with -lgen in order for this function 
to be found.  Chuck already replied to this message that this dependence 
will be removed in the next patch, because too many people had trouble 
with it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Jake Hamby				|   E-Mail:  [email-masked]
  Student, Cal Poly University, Pomona  |   System Administrator, JPL
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------