Subject: FVWM: fvwm needs time to be born

From: [email-masked] (Pete Siemsen)
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 14:28:28 -0700 (MST)

I start fvwm in my .xinitrc file, and then start several other apps.
I had to stick in a "sleep 6" after starting fvwm.  If I don't, several
of the apps come up with "default" decorations (gray borders, etc.)
instead of decorations controlled by "Style" lines in my .fvwmrc.

Is there a more elegant way to get around this than "sleep 6"?
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Jon Mountjoy)
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 1995 13:09:18 +0100 (MET)

Quoting Pete Siemsen,
| 
| I start fvwm in my .xinitrc file, and then start several other apps.
| I had to stick in a "sleep 6" after starting fvwm.  If I don't, several
| of the apps come up with "default" decorations (gray borders, etc.)
| instead of decorations controlled by "Style" lines in my .fvwmrc.
| 
| Is there a more elegant way to get around this than "sleep 6"?

Yes.  I and many others have experienced this problem, though Chuck
can't seem to reproduce it.  The ugliest solution, which is the only
one which works, seems to be to put all programs that you wish to start
up in a script and call this script from the Init section in the .fvwmrc
instead of in your .xinitrc.  
The problem becomes even more pronounced on loaded machines.

I think that there exists a serious race condition problem...

Jon