Subject: FVWM: fvwm_icons and colormap

From: "Bret A. Schuhmacher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 11:05:42 -36000

Hi all,

I noticed something strange that I never expected...can anyone explain this?

I recently downloaded the 3d icons that someone posted to this list about 
2 weeks ago (sorry, forgot the guys name...great work tho!).  I dumped 
the whole lot into my fvwm_icons directory.  I restarted fvwm and  
*immediately* had colormap problems, even though I hadn't changed my 
.fvwm2rc file to make use of the new icons.  I confirmed this was the 
source of the color problems by removing the new icons, restarting fvwm, 
and all was well.

Question: why does fvwm seem to read all the available icons?  Why not 
just read the icons that specified in the .fvwm2rc?

Please note, I'm not bitchin'; this is just a question and I can easily
get around it.  I have trmendous respect for Rob and Charles.  I'd like to
know why fvwm is implemented this way from an Xwindow perspective for my
own edification. 

Thanks,

Bret

______________________________________________________________________________
Bret A. Schuhmacher                              Email: [email-masked]
Technical Director, WebNet Technologies          WWW:   http://www.wn.com
Voice/Fax: (214) 821-0848                        Pager: (214) 816-0283
______________________________________________________________________________

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Nation 885-9815)
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 95 16:19:31 EST

>just read the icons that specified in the .fvwm2rc?

When I left it, fvwm only read in the icons for iconfied windows - it
didn't even read icons for everything specified in .fvwmrc. It certainly
doesn't read all available icons.

Perhaps you had one or two really nasty icons.

Rob

---

From: Chad Coulliette <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 15:20:16 -0800 (PST)

Excerpts from lists.FVWM: 8-Dec-95 Re: FVWM: fvwm_icons and co.. Robert
[email-masked] (522)

Hello,

I would have to agree with Rob.  I have several hundred xpm icons in my
directories and I am running on an 8-bit display, so if all of these are
read in then I would absolutely no colors left.
Remove your cons one by one until you find the ones that are causing the
problem.

By the way, Rob, your solution for the Sun IPC's worked fine.  Starting
the X server with the -zaphod worked great.  The sideways page flipping
problem was cured.  However, we noticed that there were two processes of
everything still running, such as two fvwm2 processes and two consoles,
etc.  Once we started fvwm2 with the -s option that was also cured.  It
seems like this is a problem for all Sun IPCs, so it might be helpful
put a note about this in the FAQ's.

Chad

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Nation 885-9815)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 95 09:17:50 EST

>put a note about this in the FAQ's.

Yes, fvwm still starts one window manager per screen. If you really
don't have/want two screens, you should start fvwm with "fvwm -s".
-s stands for single screen.