Subject: FVWM: FVWM version 2.0.40 available

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 15:57:32 -0500

Howdy all,

Well, I haven't had a lot of time lately to do much with FVWM (work
and other responsibilites have kept me VERY busy lately), but in a
burst of post-lunch activity version 2.0.40 is finially ready and
available at ftp.hpc.uh.edu in /pub/fvwm/version-2 (and in keeping
with my 1 release per month average lately).

-rw-rw-r--   1 chines   users     477303 Dec 20 14:28 fvwm-2.0.40.tar.gz

>From the ChangeLog:

2.0.40
       1. Removed 'basename' reference
       2. More small Imake fixes
       3. Renamed FvwmConfig .cc files to .C, because some C++ compilers
          can't handle the .cc extension (AIX's, for instance)
       4. FvwmForm now gets config info in standard way
       5. FvwmBanner now dissappears if you click on it (like in 1.xx)
       6. Renamed FvwmConfig's makefile to Makefile.std and cleaned it up
       7. More small man page cleanups
       8. Improved handling of nonexistant fonts (added GetFontOrFixed)
       9. More debug messges, and central fvwm_msg function for printing
          msgs (started converting fvwm_err and fprintf calls to use this
          instead, as it has variable args and allows for a consistent
          message feel and I'll use this to add -outfile <file> option
          eventually to capture all fvwm output to a file as well as
          stderr)
       10. Fixed function parm $9 coredump
       11. Added basic TitleStyle (for justfication & edge appearance)

Some notes on these:

        #1 Hopefully I won't mistakenly put anything like that in again.

        #2 Please let this be the last of the Imake problems...

        #4 It should now work ok for those of you who use FvwmM4 and Cpp.

        #5 I kinda missed that feature.

        #9 I used stdarg.h vararg stuff.  Hopefully it'll compile ok for
           everyone (I don't see why it wouldn't).  I still have to
           finish converting to using it and work on the module
           interaction with it.

        #11 I added info about this in the man page.  Try a few combinations:

              TitleStyle Centered Raised
              TitleStyle LeftJustified Flat
              TitleStyle RightJustified Sunk

            It probably isn't complete, but it wasn't much code to implement
            so I threw it in there (finally).  Admittedly, I still
            much prefer the default...

There were a few patches that people sent me that I didn't have time
to throw in.  Sorry if yours didn't make it this time.

I'm going on vacation this afternoon until about Jan 2nd.  So I
probably won't be too responsive to notes during that time, although I
will try to dial in occasionally to check them.

During that time I hope to do a fair amount of work at home on fvwm.
I plan on putting in a few more of the patches sent to me, and
cleaning up the docs a bit.

I'd like to release the next version as the first official 2.xx
release (2.1.0) shortly after I come back as my way of saying Happy
New Year to the Internet.

Then I can finially do some bigger cleanup, bugfixes, and enhancements
without feeling too bad... ;^)

Happy Holidays,
Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're
  [email-masked],              just havin' a nightmare--of course,
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    we are still in Hell." Gary Larson
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Rich Derr <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 19:47:47 -0600 (CST)

Has anyone else had trouble linking fvwm 2.0.40?  I get 'undefined
ref to XLoadQueryFont' errors.  I'm running Linux and XFree86 3.1.1,
except that I need the XS3 server from XFree86 3.1.2 for my video
card.  The rest of the Linux set-up is so mangled it bears no
resemblence to whatever distribution I started with, which is good
because I can't remember which distribution I started with.  :-)
It's definitely a.out, though.  2.0.39 had no trouble.
--RD
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Rich Derr <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 21:55:47 -0600 (CST)

> I get 'undefined ref to XLoadQueryFont' errors.
> 
   -lX11 was coming before ../libs/libfvwm.a in the linking command.  A
simple enough change if you can wade through an Imake generated Makefile.
(I just keyed the linking command myself.)  It's running now.  I haven't
been getting enough sleep lately; that was easy enough to figure out
after a nap.  Back to lurking ....
--RD
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Hile Tuohela <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 1995 01:47:51 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

I need as fast as possible funtions to disable some function, key or
module definations, like killing Menus with DestroyMenu. Another way
to do this were to add functions DefineFunction and DefineModule, which 
would override current functions/module definations: DefineMenu were
nice too, it were cleaner to say 

DefineMenu Programs ...
than 
DestroyMenu Programs
AddtoMenu Programs ... 

You know what happens if you forget DestroyMenu ;) I think it's silly
to restart window manager to change a menu, add a button to button bar
or start playing doom & disable cursor movement with ctrl, alt + arrows.
Last one could be done just by adding possiblity to undefine keys by
saying something like 

Key Left A CM Nop

which would disable Left with alt+ctrl. Now fvwm eats event, but does 
nothing. AND this shouldn't of course disable left+alt or left+ctrl.

Yes I can live without these, but I think these functions are necessary:
think about reading twice FvwmButtons section from some rc file, oops we 
have all buttons twice!! Same with functions. My idea is, that we should
be able to read any config file multiple times without messing things up.
This way we could use my function RestartModules, which reads config 
files for different modules, kills all running modules and restarts 
them.

What do you think about my way of using Read and resource files? I think
it's better this way: lib/fvwm2 has a subdirectory resources. There is 
a config file for every module, styles, icons, functions mouse/key
binding etc. my system .fvwm2rc reads these and does nothing else: 
so a user can copy system rc file, make his own key bindings file 
and use everything else from system just by changing where to read
key bindings from. Haven't noticed any speed penalty from reading 
multiple files. I'll send my resources dir tar'red if you want, 
it could be nice to have this structure default. Maybe .fvwm2rc should
itself be moved there with name FvwmRc and tell fvwm to read it from
there when compiled... I think this change could help us write tools to 
change resources interactively like FvwmConfig does. 

FvwmButtons: Has someone thought about adding a button which would
'close' button bar, or move it vertically/horizontally a'la NeXT? Closed
button bar would have only this one button with a 'Open' logo on it.
I find this pretty useful. Also submenus were cool, or group button 
windows... And pushing a swallowed program should be possible to use 
starting another program ( pushing xbiff starts mailer ... )

Still more: is someone working with standard for icon name/application
interface? It were not big thing make fvwm to try first find icons with 
applications' name/resource with first letter capital (for netscape 
Netscape.xpm), then fall to default, and if explicitly defined, use 
some other icon instead of the name matching one. I think this would
clean things. 

Yes, I'm going to try write these small changes myself. Told you just 
hoping that someone has already done this and I don't have to... tell me
if someone's working on these things. I have thousands of other little
patches to make fvwm better, but lets save some for next time too... 

Merry Chrismas ;-)

	* hile * 
	
	Email:	[email-masked]
	Finger, talk etc: [email-masked]
	URL(finnish): http://www.helsinki.fi/~ituohela/
	Home address: Karstulantie 8 e 75, Helsinki, Finland
	Phone: +358 0 7741258