Subject: FVWM: color map lossage?

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 95 16:24:14 EST

This may not be an FVWM-specific question, but then again, maybe it is!
:)

I just had to restart my X server because almost all the colors in the
default color map were reserved.  I don't know what app was reserving
them.  I exited all the ones I can think of: Netscape (which I run with
its own colormap anyway), Frame, Emacs, etc.  All I had running were
FVWM and a bunch of xterms.

I wonder if FVWM wasn't holding all those colors?  I don't have wildly
colorful pixmaps I don't think.  Is there a colormap leak?  I'm using
2.0p33 on SunOS 4.1.3_U1 running X11R5 p26 (no openwin!).

Any ideas?  Are some apps known to leak colors?  Is there any way I can
find out which apps have what colors reserved in the default color map?
xdpyinfo, xwininfo didn't seem to say much.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 Senior Software Engineer                                   Bay Networks, Inc.
-----------------------------------------------==<http://www.baynetworks.com/>-
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     These are my opinions--Bay Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Todd Fries)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 19:21:08 -0600 (CST)

> FVWM and a bunch of xterms.

I have heard of this before on this list.  Think back to when you started
the X server.  Some openlook programs have been known to not de-allocate
colors they allocated when starting up.  In any case, every time I've
heard this problem before, it ended up being another app, not fvwm.
That doesn't mean it isn't fvwm, but try to repeat the problem...and
see if it is another app, or fvwm..

Is it possible, however, for fvwm to check the 'allocated colormap' and
find out which ones aren't being used for any app and then de-allocate them?

This sounds like a great idea for a module if it is possible.

-- 
Todd [email-masked]
http://www.cs.umr.edu/~tfries
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Nation 885-9815)
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 95 09:11:03 EST

If you "restart" the window manager, and the colormap problems go away, then
it is a color map leak in the window manager. If you have to exit X11 and
start over, its probably a server problem. When an application dies, its colors
are supposed to be freed up. I have noticed, however, that there is some 
application which seems able to chew up the color map permanently, although 
I don't know what it is.

Fvwm never returns colors to the x server. Once it takes a color, it keeps it.
This is because the dynamic color allocation is for icons and borders, which
are likely to show up over and over, if they have shown up once.

Rob

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 15:11:57 -0500

> application which seems able to chew up the color map permanently, although 

One simple way to  allocate colors permanently  is to use xstdcmap  (X
standard colormap utility).  This allocates a lot of colors and unless
called later with the -delete argument, the colors  stay allocated.  I
have run into at least one application that did this.

The best  way I know  to monitor the colormap,  is with the "colormap"
program which I think you can easily find using archie.

--
Dan Espen                                    Phone: (908) 699-5570
[email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].