Subject: FVWM: FVWM timing bug in click-motion detection?

From: Romano Giannetti <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 95 20:54:34 MET

Hi all, 

  I think I found a bug in fvwm. I have the action connect with mouse
button 1 on the title bar in the following way:

AddToFunc "Move-or-Raise" "I" Raise
+              "M" Move
+              "D" RaiseLower

Mouse 1         TS      A       Function "Move-or-Raise"

and I noted a strange behaviour. The thing seem to work well most of
the time: if I simply click, window is raised; if I click and move, 
window follow mouse, and If I double click a RaiseLower is performed.
If I click without releasing the mouse, cursor change sto a dot, and
after a while it changes again in the four-arrows one, and Move is
performed until the mouse release. But... if I release the mouse an
instant after or before (I cannot understand well) the change from 
dot to arrows of the cursor, then the window will follow the mouse as I 
had done a "Move" from an external menu, I mean it follows my mouse
with all the buttons released. Hope you understand this... my English
is very poor since I learned Spanish.
(well, it is not so simple obtain the right timing, but it happens 
to me often without searching it, and today I finally understood how
to reproduce it) 

Fvwm is 2.0.39, compiled on a Linux 2.1.13/a.out box, X11R6.

Hope this helps, and... really a cool WM!
                 			 Romano

------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Romano Giannetti     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione 
Researcher               Elettronica Informatica Telecomunicazioni
[email-masked]      University of Pisa
------------------------------------------------------------------
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 09:25:27 -0500

>>>>> "Romano" == Romano Giannetti <[email-masked]> writes:

Romano> Hi all,
Romano>   I think I found a bug in fvwm. I have the action connect with mouse
Romano> button 1 on the title bar in the following way:

Romano> AddToFunc "Move-or-Raise" "I" Raise
Romano> +              "M" Move
Romano> +              "D" RaiseLower

Romano> Mouse 1         TS      A       Function "Move-or-Raise"

Romano> and I noted a strange behaviour. The thing seem to work well
Romano> most of the time: if I simply click, window is raised; if I
Romano> click and move, window follow mouse, and If I double click a
Romano> RaiseLower is performed.  If I click without releasing the
Romano> mouse, cursor change sto a dot, and after a while it changes
Romano> again in the four-arrows one, and Move is performed until the
Romano> mouse release. But... if I release the mouse an instant after
Romano> or before (I cannot understand well) the change from dot to
Romano> arrows of the cursor, then the window will follow the mouse as
Romano> I had done a "Move" from an external menu, I mean it follows
Romano> my mouse with all the buttons released. Hope you understand
Romano> this... my English is very poor since I learned Spanish.
Romano> (well, it is not so simple obtain the right timing, but it
Romano> happens to me often without searching it, and today I finally
Romano> understood how to reproduce it)

Yup.  This is a known bug and it annoys me constantly.  From the
Bugfixes section of the TO-DO list:

  - Change Motion vs Click to be calculated via a MotionThreshold instead
    of a timeout (timeout should only be for Click vs DoubleClick)

Which actually could be spelled out a little better.  It should be
more like:

  - Change Motion vs Click vs DoubleClick to be calculated via a
    MotionThreshold and ClickTime:
        MotionThreshold exceeded -> Motion
        MotionThreshold not exceeded & ClickTime exceeded -> Click
        MotionThreshold not exceeded & ClickTime not exceeded -> DoubleClick

It will be fixed eventually.

Romano> Fvwm is 2.0.39, compiled on a Linux 2.1.13/a.out box, X11R6.

Romano> Hope this helps, and... really a cool WM!

I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're
  [email-masked],              just havin' a nightmare--of course,
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    we are still in Hell." Gary Larson
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].