Subject: FVWM: Preprocessing .fvwmrc with FvwmCpp

From: [email-masked] (Ian Thurlbeck)
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 15:33:55 GMT

Hi

I want to write a .fvwmrc which provides a slightly
different setup on our Decs/Suns/SunMono's.  I thought I'd
get FvwmCpp to run over it and I check for the various
defines it produces (COLOR, SERVERHOST, etc).

It seems I have to start fvwm with an invocation something like:

% fvwm -f "FvwmCpp /home/ian/.fvwmrc"

to process the file, and I also have to modify the fvwm code to
accept a ';' as a comment instead of the '#', since cpp barfs
on all the fvwm '#' comments.

This seems a bit laborious - how does everyone else do it ??

Cheers

Ian
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Nation 885-9815)
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 95 11:50:04 EST

I would think that, for cpp, you change the '#'s in .fvwmrc to
/*  message */
and cpp would take the out.

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 11:40:35 -0500

>>>>> "Ian" == Ian Thurlbeck <[email-masked]> writes:

Ian> Hi

Ian> I want to write a .fvwmrc which provides a slightly
Ian> different setup on our Decs/Suns/SunMono's.  I thought I'd
Ian> get FvwmCpp to run over it and I check for the various
Ian> defines it produces (COLOR, SERVERHOST, etc).

Ian> It seems I have to start fvwm with an invocation something like:

Ian> % fvwm -f "FvwmCpp /home/ian/.fvwmrc"

Ian> to process the file, and I also have to modify the fvwm code to
Ian> accept a ';' as a comment instead of the '#', since cpp barfs
Ian> on all the fvwm '#' comments.

Ian> This seems a bit laborious - how does everyone else do it ??

I know a few people out there use FvwmCpp.  I don't use any
preprocessor myself, so perhaps I'm not as qualified to answer, but
let me provide 2 suggestions:

1) you could probably just start it normally, but have your .fvwmrc
   contain only one line:

   FvwmCpp /home/ian/.fvwmrc-cpp

2) Use C style comments instead of altering the fvwm code to use ';'.
   Much easier - cpp will take care of them for you.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're
  [email-masked],              just havin' a nightmare--of course,
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    we are still in Hell." Gary Larson
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 1995 14:22:55 -0500

> % fvwm -f "FvwmCpp /home/ian/.fvwmrc"

Yes.

> accept a ';' as a comment instead of the '#', since cpp barfs on all
> the fvwm '#' comments.

> This seems a bit laborious - how does everyone else do it ??

Well I, for one, use FvwmM4 instead :-)  However, you can use /* */
comments instead of # and FvwmCpp will do the right thing (obviously,
I hope).  If you've got a Cpp that handles C++ // comments then you
could use that instead.
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation MS B020 202 Burlington Rd. Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Domain: [email-masked]  UUCP: {your neighborhood}!linus!mdf!dsg