Subject: Re: FVWM: Re: Bugs, problems, wishes and praises

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 14:17:29 +0900

Umm, I found my name :-)

Andy> 5.) This is not a bug, but two questions:
Andy> a) Did fvwm1's 'Cursor' command disappear completely, or is it
Andy> just hidden somewhere?  If it's gone, why?

If you have interested Cursor implementation, check your old mail (if
you have any). Kit Smithers <[email-masked]> posted patch to
this mailing list (exactly speaking, [email-masked]) in May/1995.

Andy> 10) In a recent posting, Makoto 'MAR_kun' MATSUSHITA wrote that
Andy> there are a few FVWM modules out there which are not part of the
Andy> standard distribution (FvwmAdlLog, FvwmIconMan-0.2,
Andy> FvwmWish-0.8, fvwish-1.0, and tkfvwm0.5 and maybe more).

Let me summarize modules which is *not* included fvwm distribution.

Name: FvwmAdlLog
Version: V1.2 (???)
Feature: Logging users behavior

Name: FvwmIconMan
Version: 0.2
Feature: Just like twm's IconManager.

Name: FvwmWish
Version: 0.8
Feature: Tcl/Tk interface to fvwm

Name: fvwish
Version: 1.0
Feature: Tcl/Tk interface to fvwm

Name: tkfvwm
Version: 0.5 (maybe)
Feature: Tcl/Tk interface to fvwm

Name: tkgoodstuff
Version: 4.1b3 (4.1b4 in-progress)
Feature: Like GoodStuff but not only modules. Use tkfvwm.

I know where to get (except FvwmWish), and put these on my archive.

May I send the information of localtion, Chuck ?

- -
Makoto 'MAR_kun' MATSUSHITA
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 00:28:47 -0600

>>>>> "m" == matusita  <[email-masked]> writes:

m> If you have interested Cursor implementation, check your old mail (if
m> you have any). Kit Smithers <[email-masked]> posted patch to
m> this mailing list (exactly speaking, [email-masked]) in May/1995.

I think that would be this message.  I include it here in case anyone's
interested.  It might save Chuck some time.  BTW, Kit is no longer a
subscriber, unless his (her?) address has changed.

 - J<

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 09:20:15 +0100
Message-Id: <9505090820.AA15968@bartley>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: My CursorStyle patch. And what's a good way of submitting patches?

> Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 11:32:41 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Michael Esler <[email-masked]>
 
> Sorry if I missed this earlier, but how do you set cursors in fvwm 2.0..
> 
> The Cursor x y line doesn't work anymore 
> 

I posted a CursorStyle patch a while back. But it doesnt seem to have made it
into patch level 19. So at the risk of repeating myself, here's another copy.
Although this one fixes the stupid mistakes I made in the first one...

BTW: Whats the best way to submit patches for fvwm? And to whom?

The idea is to allow you to change the cursors used by fvwm. For example I
prefer the more Mwm like:

CursorStyle SYS XC_left_ptr
CursorStyle Destroy XC_left_ptr
CursorStyle Title_Cursor XC_left_ptr
CursorStyle Menu XC_arrow

Possible things to change the cursor for are:

POSITION DEFAULT SYS TITLE_CURSOR MOVE MENU WAIT SELECT DESTROY LEFT RIGHT TOP
BOTTOM TOP_LEFT TOP_RIGHT BOTTOM_LEFT BOTTOM_RIGHT

To install the patch use (something like):

uudecode patchmail
uncompress cursorstyle.patch.gz
cd <fvwm path>/fvwm
patch <cursorstyle.patch

Otherwise use whatever method you can for installing the changes from a context
style diff.

-- 
Kit Smithers                                           [email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 00:33:35 -0600

>>>>> "m" == matusita  <[email-masked]> writes:

m> Let me summarize modules which is *not* included fvwm distribution.

m> Name: FvwmIconMan Version: 0.2 Feature: Just like twm's IconManager.

This is at the ftp site (ftp.hpc.uh.edu) in /pub/fvwm/misc.  I would
welcome uploads of the others; if the developers are here it would be nice
to hear from them regarding the status of these modules.

 - J<

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Nation 885-9815)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 95 09:39:37 EST

Its not up to me to decide what is included in fvwm, but I always
kept the tcl/tk stuff separate from fvwm, just because tcl/tk is a big
package, and not everyone uses it.

Its hard enough to explain to people that they need xpm; adding a
requirement for tcl/tk would just make it worse.

I guess that these packages should be available at the same site/location
as fvwm, but either a separate package, or something that is not compiled by
default.

Rob

---

From: Mark Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 16:04:42 GMT

> Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 09:39:37 -0500 (EST)
> From: [email-masked] (Robert Nation 885-9815)
> 

It would be convenient if contributed packages were mirrored at the fvwm
site but not essential. Please *don't* include things like the tcl/tk
stuff in the main distribution because it would make it much bigger to
download.

*Do* include a list of pointers to other packages though. If people want
the other stuff we can get it so long as we know where to look.

-- 
Mark Powell, Senior Software Engineer <[email-masked]>
Primagraphics Limited, Graphics Court, Melbourn Science Park,
Melbourn, Royston, Herts SG8 6EJ, England. Tel. +44 1763 262041
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 1995 02:15:39 +0900

rnation> Its not up to me to decide what is included in fvwm, but I
rnation> always kept the tcl/tk stuff separate from fvwm, just because
rnation> tcl/tk is a big package, and not everyone uses it.

And, if we wanna describe fvwm's configuration in Tcl (Tk needed?), we
can make a module named FvwmTcl, just like FvwmM4/FvwmCpp, I believe.

- -

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 16:04:45 -0500

>>>>> "Mark" == Mark Powell <[email-masked]> writes:

>> as fvwm, but either a separate package, or something that is not compiled by

Mark> It would be convenient if contributed packages were mirrored at
Mark> the fvwm site but not essential. Please *don't* include things
Mark> like the tcl/tk stuff in the main distribution because it would
Mark> make it much bigger to download.

That's the very reason why I don't intend to include it in the main
distribution.

Mark> *Do* include a list of pointers to other packages though. If
Mark> people want the other stuff we can get it so long as we know
Mark> where to look.

This is what I do intend to do, however.  I'm going to put it in the
FAQ.

Chuck

---

From: Steve Passe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 1995 11:11:41 -0700

Hi,

> I know where to get (except FvwmWish), and put these on my archive.

A paper on FvwmWish appears in "The X Resource", issue 14.
The source is archived in:
 ftp.uu.net:/published/oreilly/xresource/issue14/FvwmWish1.0.tar.Z

--
Steve Passe		| powered by
[email-masked]		|            FreeBSD