Subject: FVWM: xpaint crashes with fvwm-2.0.39?

From: Chris Rode <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 12:27:46 CST

i'm using fvwm 2.0.39, under DEC ultrix 4.3, and whenever i try to load
xpaint, i get:

12:24pm <help> [~]% xpaint
X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  14 (X_GetGeometry)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  544
  Current serial number in output stream:  544

xpaint works fine with mwm...anybody else experience this, or better
yet, anybody have a fix for this? :)

--chris

--
chris rode - [email-masked] - http://www.public.iastate.edu/~crode/
oh that i should be ever so lonely, drivin' the pain right through to my
heart, oh that i should be ever so lonely, ridin' the pain like a fool
in the dark --erasure, "rescue me" - "but i don't understand!" *sluurp!*
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Eric Ding)
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 95 14:59:55 PST

>>>>> Chris Rode <[email-masked]> writes:

>   Current serial number in output stream:  544

This error occurs with xpaint because you don't have enough colors left in
your colormap -- which is more likely because of fvwm's use of pixmaps,
etc. than if you were using mwm.  Get rid of your colorful background or
whatever for a sec, and it'll help.  I promise.

Eric
--
1601 Technology Drive                         [email-masked]
San Jose, CA 95110-1397                   <><         PHONE: (408) 437-5068
http://web.mit.edu/ericding/www/home.html               FAX: (408) 437-5246
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Jon Mountjoy)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 09:29:03 +0100 (MET)

Quoting Eric Ding,
| >>>>> Chris Rode <[email-masked]> writes:
| 
| > i'm using fvwm 2.0.39, under DEC ultrix 4.3, and whenever i try to load
| > xpaint, i get:
| 
| > 12:24pm <help> [~]% xpaint
| > X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
snip

| This error occurs with xpaint because you don't have enough colors left in
| your colormap -- which is more likely because of fvwm's use of pixmaps,
| etc. than if you were using mwm.  Get rid of your colorful background or
| whatever for a sec, and it'll help.  I promise.

Surely this is a fault of xpaint then?  If you load the file from the menu
it works fine, so I assume that *xpaint* has a bug with startup and
bad colourmap configuration.
Is this so?  (If true, 
                 we need to contact owner, 
	       else 
		 pipe bitbucket
	     )
Jon
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Eric Ding)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 95 10:42:23 PST

>>>>> [email-masked] (Jon Mountjoy) writes:

>                  we need to contact owner, 

Yes, it's the fault (and a well-known one) of xpaint, not of fvwm.  I don't
remember why it hasn't been addressed -- perhaps he is no longer
maintaining it?

Eric

---

From: [email-masked] (Eric Ding)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 95 10:42:23 PST

Eric