Subject: FVWM: fvwm2 upgrade-report

From: [email-masked] (Stefan Huebner)
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 00:13:19 +0100

Hello !

Here is my wishlist and my 2 cents for fvwm2 ;-)

I upgraded to fvwm2 recently on both my Linux P5/90 40MB at home and a
DEC-Unix Alpha/275 128MB at my office and it compiled out of the box.

First I converted the old .fvwmrc's with the supplied convert-script to
v2 format. I noticed that the script has problems when you have "linked"
GoodStuff modules in the old .fvwmrc files. I had to insert exec-
statements manually in the lines that call swallow-buttons.

Later I discovered that a fvwm1-functionality has gone: You cannot use
both the "Style IconBox" and "FvwmIconBox" anymore. This is because you
have to apply 'Style "*" NoIcon' if you want so see icons in FvwmIconBox.
In fvwm1 I used both icons on the desktop and in the Box !

A good solution to this problem could be to completely move the
functionality of "Style IconBox" to FvwmIconBox. This could be done with
*FvwmIconBox statements that allow one to 
 - control the thickness of the border of FvwmIconBox
 - completely disable the border and scrollbars
 - disable the iconbox-background, so icons can be placed directly on the
   desktop-background
 - an option that allows to control what icons are shown in the Iconbox
   (currently 'Style Iconbox' shows only iconified windows, FvwmIconBox
    shows all started x-apps and modules)

I also noticed that the order of statements is important in fvwm2.
Let's say if you put 'Style "*" NoIcon' before any other 'Style "*" Icon
foo' statement then no icons are displayed in the IconBox.

Other small problems with fvwm are:

Sometimes I have timing problems when using swallow-programs in
FvwmButtons. I had to insert wait-statements in the init- and restart-
functions of the module, because sometimes the programs don't swallow but
appear as normal windows. (Especially if I swallow commands like
'rsh slowhost "xload -display local:0"')

FvwmButtons is slow on my Pentium even with a PCI/VRAM graphics adapter.
I use to display many colored icons in the module. The initilization is
slow, and also when moving windows over the buttons-module the repaint is
very slow.

Overall I like fvwm very much, imho the best window-manager today !

l8r,
	Stefan.

-- 
Stefan Huebner                                home:   [email-masked] 
Munich, Germany                               office: [email-masked]
[email-masked]                  w3:     http://www.muc.de/~sh
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: BENJAMIN THOMAS KETTERIDGE <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 13:56:38 +0000

>In fvwm1 I used both icons on the desktop and in the Box !
This is an excerpt from my .fvwmrc, and it allows me to iconise FvwmButtons and
FvwmIconBox, and I'm sure I could specify other Icons!

Style "*" SloppyFocus, IconBox +0 -55 +100 -0, ForeColor Black, BackColor LightSkyBlue, MWMFunctions, HintOverride, MWMDecor, MWMButtons, SmartPlacement, NoPPosition, DecorateTransient, BorderWidth 5, HandleWidth 5, Color Black/#60a0c0, NoIcon

Style "Fvwm*"       NoTitle, NoHandles, Sticky, WindowListSkip
Style "FvwmIconBox" Icon toolbox.xpm
Style "FvwmButtons" Icon toolbox.xpm
Style "Fvwm*"       WindowListSkip

> - control the thickness of the border of FvwmIconBox
Style "FvwmIconBox" BorderWidth <..>

> - completely disable the border and scrollbars
Style "FvwmIconBox" BorderWidth 0
*FvwmIconBoxHideSC horizontal
*FvwmIconBoxHideSC vertical

> - disable the iconbox-background, so icons can be placed directly on the
Just switch off FvwmIconBox and use:
Style "*" IconBox <top left x y> <bottom right x y>

>    shows all started x-apps and modules)
Style toolname Icon tool.xpm
*FvwmIconBox   "toolname"   -

>I also noticed that the order of statements is important in fvwm2.
Well known, and documented!!

>foo' statement then no icons are displayed in the IconBox.
Of course, that how Styles work! (they're OR'd together)

>'rsh slowhost "xload -display local:0"')
So? What's the problem? Stick with the Waits.

>slow, and also when moving windows over the buttons-module the repaint is
Stop using PCs then! ;-) I have no problems with my Sparc 5!

Tara,
Ben.

| URL=http://www.dcs.aber.ac.uk/~btk/ | email=[email-masked] | _|--|_   o   |
+-------------------------------------+----------------------+  (\/)  +---+ |
|  Tel: (01970) 622403 [Int: 2403]    |  or: (01970) 624165  |   vv    / \  |
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Aaron <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 09:48:10 -0500 (EST)

> So? What's the problem? Stick with the Waits.

i have not been able to get swallow to work at all (except swallow-module
which is fine).  i had given up after trying the system.fwmrc and examples
from the someones web page.  they just are not working, the xclocks or
whatever just show up on the desktop.  

how can a wait help this?  any suggestions would be great...

thanks
 aaron