Subject: FVWM: New & popup windows

From: [email-masked] (Mark B. Hamby)
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 13:46:59 -0600

Fvwm Users,

I am new to Fvwm.  It's my first day of using it after years of Sun's
Open Windows.  I am busy reading through web pages, man pages, etc.
However, I have a few questions that I need answered to make life bearable.

Q1: Open Windows used to have a pin on popup windows that you could "tack down"
so that the window would not go away when pushing a button.  How do I keep
popup windows from disappearing in Fvwm?

Q2: How do I get Fvwm to just open a new window anywhere instead of putting
up the rubber-band box and allowing me to place it?

Q3: Does anyone have a .fvwmrc for Sun Open Windows or Microsoft Windows-95
look-alike setup?

Thanks,

Mark Hamby
Logicon RDA
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 15:55:11 -0500

>>>>> "Mark" == Mark B Hamby <[email-masked]> writes:

Mark> Fvwm Users,

Mark> I am new to Fvwm.  It's my first day of using it after years of
Mark> Sun's Open Windows.

Welcome aboard!

Mark> I am busy reading through web pages, man pages, etc.  However, I
Mark> have a few questions that I need answered to make life bearable.

Mark> Q1: Open Windows used to have a pin on popup windows that you
Mark> could "tack down" so that the window would not go away when
Mark> pushing a button.  How do I keep popup windows from disappearing
Mark> in Fvwm?

Currently not implemented, but it's on the 2.xx TO-DO list as a
possible future enhancement.

Mark> Q2: How do I get Fvwm to just open a new window anywhere instead
Mark> of putting up the rubber-band box and allowing me to place it?

Well, this is in the man pages (taken from the 2.xx man page):

               RandomPlacement causes windows which would normally
               require user placement to be automatically placed in
               ever-so- slightly random locations.  For the best of
               all possible worlds use both RandomPlacement and
               SmartPlacement.

               SmartPlacement causes windows which would normally
               require user placement to be automatically placed in a
               smart location - a location in which they do not
               overlap any other windows on the screen. If no such
               position can be found user placement or random
               placement will be used as a fall-back method.  For the
               best of all possible worlds use both RandomPlacement
               and SmartPlacement.

So, Are you using fvwm 1.xx or 2.xx?

1.xx

  # place windows in empty screen locations
  # but not over icons
  StubbornPlacement
  SmartPlacement
  # and place randomly if not enough empty screen
  RandomPlacement

2.xx

  Style "*"           RandomPlacement, SmartPlacement

That should do the trick.

Mark> Q3: Does anyone have a .fvwmrc for Sun Open Windows or Microsoft
Mark> Windows-95 look-alike setup?

Currently fvwm cannot be made to really look like either of these.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
and Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email: [email-masked],
                    HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1

 "I have a paper plate in my head because they were all out of the metal ones"
                                                        - Rick Overton
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: James Tsiao <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 10:43:36 -0800 (PST)

> Currently fvwm cannot be made to really look like either of these.

This is a bit off topic, but some people might find it interesting.

There is a win95look patch to bowman, which is a window manager originally
based on fvwm 1.24r.  Bowman is a NeXTSTEP lookalike with fvwm-1.24esque
rc file.  win95look is a patch [email-masked] (Pekka Pietik{inen)
made as a joke for bowman.  You can find bowman at

  http://www-acs.ucsd.edu/~byang/bowman/

and the win95look at

  ftp://ftp.netppl.fi/pub/linux/win95look/

Since I don't use win95, I don't know how close this is to "the real thing".

I don't think PP is planning to port this to fvwm 2.0 (yet), but he did
mention that he's interested to know if people like it.  So email him
praises if you like it.  :-)

James.

-- 
[email-masked]            |   I am Dyslexsic of Borg.  Prepare
http://web.one.net/~thoth            |   to have your ass laminated.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Auntie Em:    Hate Kansas - Hate you - Took dog.        -- Dorothy
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].