Subject: FVWM: bugs in fvwm2

From: [email-masked] (Chad Coulliette)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 19:18:31 -3200 (PST)

Hello Everyone (including Chuck),

After installing and using fvwm2 for about a week now, I have been very
impressed with its performance.  However, I have found a few of 
problems that appear to be bugs of some sort,

1)  When I create an rlogin button, that is 

*FvwmButtons Routh xterm-sun.xpm  Exec "routh" xterm -geometry 80x40 -T routh -e rlogin -lfred routh &

The button does not pop back up afterwards, but stays stuck down forever.  If I use rsh instead of creating an xterm locally, then the button pops back 
up right away.  However, it is not always possible to use csh due to 
security methods on some workstations.  I noticed this problem with Netscape as well.  I have a button for Netscape that always sticks.

2)  I installed fvwm2 to use on a SPARCstation 20 with SunOS 4.1.3, which acts 
as a server for several other machines.  Everything works fine on the 20,
and on our SPARCstation 1's,  but on our SPARC IPC there is a problem with
changing pages using the mouse.  When the mouse is moved vertically off the
screen then it flips to the next screen (page) perfectly.  But, when the
the mouse is moved horizontally off the screen then it does not flip to the 
next page unless the mouse is moved *VERY* slowly.  I have tried adjusting
the EdgeResistance from 0 0 through 350 100, and nothing fixed this behavior.
In my opinion this bug is the most serious that I have seen with fvwm2 because
flipping pages by mouse motion is one of the *best* features of fvwm2. 

3)  If the SaveDesk module is used, with a 'Read .fvwmdesk' at the end of the
.fvwm2rc file, then FvwmForm no longer works, i.e. I have a QuitVerify module 
that uses FvwmForm as given in the FvwmForm man page and this works so 
long as the 'Read .fvwmdesk' is not used.  A strange bug!?

4)  If FvwmBacker is used to set up some intial backgrounds with xpmroot or
xv or xsetroot, the 'xv -root -quit -max filename.gif' is used from a menu
to set a background on one desk, then all of the desks are changed to that 
image.  Flipping desks does not change back to the default background.  If 
xpmroot is used from a menu, then only the current desk is changed, but
when flipping back to this desk, the default background is back.  This is 
because FvwmBacker has not been made aware of this change.  A proper cure
for both of these problems is to provide a way for menu items to send commands
directly to FvwmBacker or any other module for that matter.  Todd Fries
offered a nice solution to this problem by using a complex function and
Read command with a separate file for each background, each file containing
the command to be passed to the FvwmBacker module.

5)  When the FvwmConfig is used to to change the default Back and Fore 
colors of window borders,  the FvwmButtons bar loses its Style ClickToFocus.

Has anyone else experienced these problems or does anyone have hacks or 
work-arounds for them?  In my opinion, these issued need to be addressed 
before an official non-beta version of fvwm2 can be released.

Thanks,

Chad
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].