Subject: FVWM: 2.0.39 ready

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 12:12:37 -0500

Howdy all,

Ok, version 2.0.39 is available at ftp.hpc.uh.edu in
/pub/fvwm/version-2:

-rw-rw-r--   1 chines   users     471663 Nov 16 10:55 fvwm-2.0.39.tar.gz

Here's what changed:

2.0.39
       1. More Imake fixes from Randall Winchester
       2. Started adding optional debug messages, to help people help me
          solve problems that I can't reproduce (a define in configure.h
          to enable these, off by default)
       3. Added -blackout option, to black out screen during init and
          recapture (no blackout is default now)
       4. Removed some unused variables, cleaned up some code that
          generated compiler warnings
       5. More small doc & FAQ updates
       6. Fix for using "None" as font in FvwmPager to not have a Label
          (it now works)
       7. Making Resource = "NoResource" instead of "Untitled" (if class
          hints res_name is NULL) to differentiate between window Name &
          window Resource so Style commands for windows that have a
          WM_NAME but no WM_CLASS don't match Untitled
       8. Simple FvwmWinList refresh patch
       9. Added Imakefile for FvwmConfig (only works under X11R6)

Some notes on these:

  #1 - addresses all of the complaints that people had when 2.0.38
  came out, I believe.

  #2 - is for those of you who are experiencing lockups at startup and
  things like that.  Look at the bottom of configure.h and enable the
  debug messages, then run fvwm piping all of the output to a file and
  send it to me with a complete description of what happened and how
  you compiled everything and what os, etc.  Perhaps it will help,
  perhaps not.  No one else enable that, since it will cause things to
  get rather slow and probably overload your .xerrors file, blowing
  your quota rather quickly.

  #4 - I also ran it under Purify.  Found no problems.

  #7 - should fix what Frederic Devernay was attempting to fix without
  interfering with anything.

I'll probably be pretty quiet for the next week or so.  I'm being
moved to another building this weekend, and I'll be out for a lot of
next week.  I'll have to read and respond to your complaints,
suggestions, and/or praise when I get back.  I might get a chance one
day next week to read them, but I can't make any guarantees.

Also, I still have lots of old suggestions, complaints, bug reports,
etc. that I haven't waded through yet, so if I seemed to have missed
something of yours, fear not, I'll get to it eventually...

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "I have a paper plate in my head
  [email-masked],                   because they were all out of the
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    metal ones" - Rick Overton
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Boyns <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 10:35:47 -0800

I had 2 problems compiling the new fvwm:

1. fvwm/fvwm.c uses a basename library function which I don't think is
very standard.  My fix was to simply remove it (it's only used in a
fprintf):

*** fvwm.c.orig Thu Nov 16 10:20:54 1995
--- fvwm.c      Thu Nov 16 10:21:12 1995
***************
*** 1053,1059 ****
  void usage(void)
  {
    fprintf(stderr,"\nFvwm Version %s Usage:\n\n",VERSION);
!   fprintf(stderr,"  %s [-d dpy] [-debug] [-f config_cmd] [-s] [-blackout] [-version] [-h]\n",basename(g_argv[0]));
  }
  
  /****************************************************************************
--- 1053,1059 ----
  void usage(void)
  {
    fprintf(stderr,"\nFvwm Version %s Usage:\n\n",VERSION);
!   fprintf(stderr,"  %s [-d dpy] [-debug] [-f config_cmd] [-s] [-blackout] [-version] [-h]\n", g_argv[0]);
  }
  
  /****************************************************************************

2. FvwmBanner didn't link because it was missing -lsocket and -lnsl.
This occurred because the FvwmBanner Imakefile defines:

    EXTRA_LIBRARIES = XPM_LIBRARIES

and the Makefile created by imake defines:

    EXTRA_LIBRARIES = -lsocket -lnsl

Note that EXTRA_LIBRARIES in Imakefile overrides the definition by
imake.  I don't know what to recommend here as a good solution.  My
quick solution was to define:

    EXTRA_LIBRARIES = XPM_LIBRARIES -lsocket -lnsl

Now to see if it works...

-- 
Mark Boyns <[email-masked]>                  D3 28 A2 F7 D1 4C F8 EE
<URL:http://www.sdsu.edu/~boyns/>            BF 7A 11 54 1C E5 6E CC
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Gregory Margo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 11:06:29 -0800 (PST)

> Ok, version 2.0.39 is available at ftp.hpc.uh.edu in

I just got 38 installed! :-) Oh well, I'll catch up.

>        6. Fix for using "None" as font in FvwmPager to not have a Label

I don't understand, this works fine in 38 (I use "none", didn't try "None").

gm
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Gregory H. Margo                 No free speech restrictions on the Internet!
[email-masked]
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 14:54:52 -0500

>>>>> "gm" == Gregory Margo <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Ok, version 2.0.39 is available at ftp.hpc.uh.edu in

gm> I just got 38 installed! :-) Oh well, I'll catch up.

pl38 has been out there for like a month.  And I thought I was behind
on getting my patchlevels out...

>> 6. Fix for using "None" as font in FvwmPager to not have a Label

gm> I don't understand, this works fine in 38 (I use "none", didn't
gm> try "None").

I had a report from someone (don't recall who right now) that it
wasn't working for them that required a very trivial fix, which
shouldn't have broken it for anyone that it was working for (which I
assume it didn't).

Chuck

---

From: Rich Neitzel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 15:16:39 -0700

In message <[email-masked]> 

>very standard.  My fix was to simply remove it (it's only used in a

This should be fixed by using ADD_LIB in the Imakefile:

#if defined(SunArchitecture) && defined(SVR4Architecture)
ADD_LIB = -lgen
#endif

>    EXTRA_LIBRARIES = -lsocket -lnsl

Actually all one needs to do is remove

from the Imakefile.

Richard Neitzel [email-masked]               Torren med sitt skjegg
National Center For Atmospheric Research        lokkar borni under sole-vegg
Box 3000 Boulder, CO 80307-3000	                Gjø'i med sitt shinn
303-497-2057                                    jagar borni inn.
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Borges)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 15:14:31 -0700

>> On Thu, 16 Nov 1995 10:35:47 -0800,
>> Mark Boyns(M) wrote:
M> I had 2 problems compiling the new fvwm:

M> 2. FvwmBanner didn't link because it was missing -lsocket and -lnsl.
M> This occurred because the FvwmBanner Imakefile defines:

M>     EXTRA_LIBRARIES = XPM_LIBRARIES

M> and the Makefile created by imake defines:

M>     EXTRA_LIBRARIES = -lsocket -lnsl

M> Note that EXTRA_LIBRARIES in Imakefile overrides the definition by
M> imake.  I don't know what to recommend here as a good solution.  My

The R6 version of imake likes this syntax:

	EXTRA_LIBRARIES .= XPM_LIBRARIES

which, as you might guess, prepends XPM_LIBRARIES to EXTRA_LIBRARIES.

I couldn't find this behaviour documented, but if it is a standard
thing I would think that would be the way to go.

  -mb-

---

From: Mark Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 09:57:58 GMT

> From: [email-masked] (Mark Borges)
> 

I tried it on SunOS4 and it didn't work.

Lines of this nature aren't interpreted by imake, they just get copied
to the Makefile, so I suspect this is a feature of `make' on your
system, not R6's imake.

-- 
Mark Powell, Senior Software Engineer <[email-masked]>
Primagraphics Limited, Graphics Court, Melbourn Science Park,
Melbourn, Royston, Herts SG8 6EJ, England. Tel. +44 1763 262041
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dave Sill <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 09:33:12 -0500 (EST)

>#if defined(SunArchitecture) && defined(SVR4Architecture)

IRIX 5.3 needs -lgen, too. I don't know where in Imakefile or
configure.h to do this, though, I just ran the load manually.

-Dave

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Borges)
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 10:28:16 -0700

>> On Fri, 17 Nov 1995 09:57:58 +0000 (GMT),
>> Mark Powell(M) wrote:

M> I tried it on SunOS4 and it didn't work.

M> Lines of this nature aren't interpreted by imake, they just get copied
M> to the Makefile, so I suspect this is a feature of `make' on your
M> system, not R6's imake.

Thanks for pointing that out. Yes, I was being sloppy, and GNU make
was doing what I wanted. Probably the more portable solution is to use
the `+=' syntax, which is recognized by all the makes I have access
to: GNU make, Solaris-2.3 make, SUNOS4 make.

  -mb-

---

From: Mark Boyns <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 10:07:48 -0800

>>>>> "mb" == Mark Borges <[email-masked]> writes:

    mb> Thanks for pointing that out. Yes, I was being sloppy, and GNU
    mb> make was doing what I wanted. Probably the more portable
    mb> solution is to use the `+=' syntax, which is recognized by all
    mb> the makes I have access to: GNU make, Solaris-2.3 make, SUNOS4
    mb> make.

I don't think `+=' is portable.  A lot of makes out there are
brain-dead.  Sun's make has lots of nice features (like GNU make) that
other makes don't support.

---

From: "Randall S. Winchester" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 13:18:31 -0500 (EST)

I really thought I fixed all these, Sorry,
Randall

The correct solution for Mark's scond problem is to remove the line;
EXTRA_LIBRARIES = XPM_LIBRARIES
from fvwm/modules/FvwmBanner/Imakefile.
Also there is another occurance of this in fvwm/modules/FvwmConfig/Imakefile.
The XPM_LIBRARIES flag is taken care of elsewere now.

I really thought I fixed all these; Sorry,        
Randall

> I had 2 problems compiling the new fvwm:
....deleted first problem.....

---

From: [email-masked] (Eric Ding)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 95 14:05:57 PST

Hi Charles,

minor note: the package still unzips into ./fvwm/... I thought that was
going to be changed to ./fvwm-2.0.XX/...

Thanks,
Eric
--
1601 Technology Drive                         [email-masked]
San Jose, CA 95110-1397                   <><         PHONE: (408) 437-5068
http://web.mit.edu/ericding/www/home.html               FAX: (408) 437-5246
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jeremy Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 14:03:59 -0600 (CST)

Has anyone else seen any problems in clients calling XGrabButton or XGrabPointer
under fvwm?  Whenever any client managed by fvwm calls eg. XGrabButton() it
reliably fails with a BadAccess XError (for me at least).  Notably proctool
(solaris) and recent beta versions of netscape seem to do this, as well as my
own code making similar calls.

I'm running the 3.4 sun openwindows dps server with fvwm 2.0.39, but I get this
behavior regardless of which server I run (behaves same with X11R6/fvwm) --
it seems to only happen when I use recent fvwm 2.x versions, not with any
other window managers (olwm, twm, mwm). If nobody else has seen this I'll try
to track down what may be causing it in the code, but it'd be nice to get any
insights anyone may have first...

Cheers,

---------------------------
Jeremy Payne
UIUC Neuroscience program &
College of Medicine
[email-masked]
---------------------------
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 16:38:44 -0500

>>>>> "Jeremy" == Jeremy Payne <[email-masked]> writes:

Jeremy> Has anyone else seen any problems in clients calling
Jeremy> XGrabButton or XGrabPointer under fvwm?  Whenever any client
Jeremy> managed by fvwm calls eg. XGrabButton() it reliably fails with
Jeremy> a BadAccess XError (for me at least).  Notably proctool
Jeremy> (solaris) and recent beta versions of netscape seem to do
Jeremy> this, as well as my own code making similar calls.

Under AIX I've used the latest beta netscape and not seen this problem
(nor with any other programs).

Jeremy> I'm running the 3.4 sun openwindows dps server with fvwm
Jeremy> 2.0.39, but I get this behavior regardless of which server I
Jeremy> run (behaves same with X11R6/fvwm) -- it seems to only happen
Jeremy> when I use recent fvwm 2.x versions, not with any other window
Jeremy> managers (olwm, twm, mwm). If nobody else has seen this I'll
Jeremy> try to track down what may be causing it in the code, but it'd
Jeremy> be nice to get any insights anyone may have first...

As I said, I don't see this, but I can take a guess at what's
happening here.  Here is an excerpt from the XGrabButton man page:

     If some other client has already issued the XGrabButton function
     with the same button/key combination on the same window, a
     BadAccess error results.

So, my guess is that you have a 'Mouse' line in your .fvwm2rc that is
conflicting with what these programs would like to do, perhaps like
so:

Mouse 1 W N Raise

I'm not 100% certain if this is really your problem, but you could use
it as a starting point for you investigation.

Chuck