Subject: FVWM: Can the Maximize fun start from bottom??

From: "Eric F. Kahler ([email-masked])" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 11:46:24 -0500

Hi all,

I can see that when specifying a percentage of vertical screen space, the 
maximize function begins from the top of the screen by default, and expands 
the specified percentage of the vertical screen downward.

To me it seems most ergonomic to have my toolbar at the top of the screen 
since all of FVWM's window buttons are there as well as all applications 
menu's.  With the toolbar at the top of the screen I'm no longer constantly 
running my mouse from the bottom (when starting an ap) to the top (when using 
an ap).

I'm using tkgoodstuff at the top of my screen, and I'd like my maximized 
windows to cover 90% of the screen's vertical length, but starting from the 
bottom; leaving room at the to so that TkGoodstuff is never covered up.

Is there anyway to achieve this?

-- 
From:  Eric Kahler.
[email-masked] 
http://mars.superlink.net/user/ekahler/index.html           

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Fredrik \Vhrstr\vm <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 20:37:10 +0100 (MET)

> Is there anyway to achieve this?

If I am not completely wrong, I believe you can do a combination
function which resizes the window to 90% and moves it down to the correct 
line. I have not done it myself though.

I have a small whish myself:
I have the goodstuff buttonbar to the right and it is sticky and ontop.
I would like the left edge of the bar to behave like the screen border. 
That is, it should block windows crossing it for a short time of mouse 
movement. So it would be just as easy to align windows to the button bar
as to the screen border since the button bar more or less is the new 
screen border.

//Fredrik Ohrstrom

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 13:45:17 -0500

>as to the screen border since the button bar more or less is the new 

Yes!  Seconded!  It would be very nice to be able to have a button bar
(like, oh, say, tkgoodstuff ;^>) treated as something like a screen
"frame".  I don't know exactly the behavior that would be ideal.
Perhaps one could define a rectangular region of the screen as the
"available" region (by default the whole thing), and do what
F. Vhrstrwm suggests with its borders, and try to avoid window
placement there?  Or have a window attribute that gives a window
special bullying power.

Is it conceivable to actually treat an "available" region in nearly
all respects as the actual screen is treated now?  That is to say, a
button/task bar or the like could occupy a portion of the screen
that's not "on" the desktop itself.  There might be a special form of
geometry request (from a module) to request placement in (or
overlapping) the unavailable region.  This region should be
changeable, so that the whole screen can be made available (e.g., by a
button-bar's "hide" function).

Mark

-------Trivial, right?  Let's see who has it coded by dinnertime.
-------                   :^)
-------
Mark Crimmins   [email-masked]
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].