Subject: FVWM: Feature request for FvwmIconBox

From: Greg Veres <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 10:40:28 -0500

Currently, if we don't want sorted icons (ie, don't specify
*FvwmIconBoxSortIcons) then the new icons get placed at the beggining of
the list of icons. This causes lots of unnecessary redraws as all the icons
get pushed down the row (or col) of icons. I would like to see icons added
to the end of the row of icons rather than the beginning. I realized that
some people might like this behaviour so I would like to ask for a
configuration option for this.

Here is a concrete example of what I am talking about. Here is the part of
my .fvwmrc file that relates to the Icon box.

*FvwmIconBoxGeometry    13x1+0-0
*FvwmIconBoxMaxIconSize 64x38
*FvwmIconBoxPadding     4
*FvwmIconBoxLines       13
*FvwmIconBoxSBWidth     8
*FvwmIconBoxPlacement   Left Bottom 
*FvwmIconBoxPixmap      background3.xpm
*FvwmIconBoxHideSC Horizontal
*FvwmIconBoxSetWMIconSize
*FvwmIconBoxHilightFocusWin
*FvwmIconBoxMouse       1       Click           RaiseLower
*FvwmIconBoxMouse       1       DoubleClick     Iconify -1, Focus
*FvwmIconBoxMouse       2       Click           Iconify -1, Focus
*FvwmIconBoxMouse       3       Click           Module FvwmIdent
*FvwmIconBoxKey         r       RaiseLower
*FvwmIconBoxKey         space   Iconify
*FvwmIconBoxKey         Return  Iconify -1, Focus
#*FvwmIconBoxKey         d       Close
*FvwmIconBoxKey         n       Next
*FvwmIconBoxKey         p       Prev

As you can see, I have a 1 row high icon box at the bottom of the screen
with placement of Left Bottom. Currently, when a new window pops up, it
gets placed at the left side of the icon box and pushes all the other icons
to the right. This causes the entire icon box to be redrawn (potentially
for a window that may only last for a couple of seconds.) What I would like
is a behaviour more consistant with MWM's icon box. This would add new
icons to the right side of the list (given this setup, other sides given
other setups). This would minimize the redraw and flashing when windows
come and go.

Thanks,
-Greg
PS: given the above setup I am having trouble clicking on icons. When I
place my pointer on top of an Icon and do a single click nothing
happens. If I do a double click then the Click action id activated. This
happens for all three buttons. I guess I should say that I have sloppy
focus enabled.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Greg Veres ([email-masked])         | You got your whole life to
Computer Graphics Lab, University Of Waterloo| do something and thats not
http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~gveres          | very long.  - Ani Difranco
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].