Subject: FVWM: 3d_pixmaps for Professional look !

From: Joerg Mertin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 17:49:55 +0100 (GMT+0100)

Hi Folks,

I just wanted to announce a little contribution of my part for the
Fvwm-Window-manager. In fact, I didn't like all these different sizes
of the icons people could find everywhere, also not having a 3d look
in the icons displayed on the screen didn't please me. So I looked
around a bit and finally found some great looking icons, I also
created some of my own and included a little script for converting and
creating 3d-looking Icons. here's the README File I included.

You can find my package op:

ftp://pc50.zrz.tu-berlin.de/pub/3dpixmaps/3d_pixmaps_0.1.tar.gz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Folks,           Joerg Mertin <[email-masked]>
                    Better use:  <[email-masked]>

* This is my Version 0.1 of 3d_pixmaps distribution.
  including pixmaps in 3d Look with their respective mini-pixmap

* These are not mine (Well not all). I first found a bunch, then created
my own ! This is no Commercial Product, free (For everyone to use) and
I take absolutely no warranty if anything bad happens to your system !
Like the monitor blowing up because it got too many Colours presented
a.s.o ...) ;)

* Just wanted to contribute a little bit to the fvwm-Stuff :)
In Fact, while parsing through different Unix-System, I discovered
some nice looking 3d_featured pixmaps. Unfortunatly they weren't
enough, so I decided to create some own.

* It happened to also have a 3d Template pixmap, which helped me to
create my own. Unfortunatly, I didn't manage to get the combine to
center the original pixmap onto the template, what I resolved by
resizing the original first. A bad sideeffect is, that it has some
quality losses after resizing :( If someone knows a better solution, 
let me know ;)

* To use the Make3dxpm you'll need the Marvellous Imagemagick-Package,
since the tools Make3dxpm uses are taken from there ...

* In fact, What I never liked with all the XPM's lying around, was their
different sizes so you could'nt get an arranged Desktop. So, "we" have to
decide  of a size for all icon's. I choosed 56x46 pixels, since the
Real-Good looking ones I found have this size :) and I wouldn't
destroy the good-looking by resizing them. Mini-Pixmaps are also
included from all existing pixmaps in this directory. 

* Be warned that these pixmaps let your X-Server working very hard and
it can takes almost to 1 minute to have a picture on the screen after
a startx. This on a i486-DX4-100MHz with 32 MB Ram.

TODO -
- I'm using these pixmaps (have a look at my system.fvwmrc file) on an
  16 bit Display, so it might be to much colours for 8 Bit
  displays. Unfortunatly, many programms don't want to create a
  Colourmap since many xpm's don't have a name. Have to fiddle arround a
  bit 'til I find a solution for it. When I found it, I'll reduce colour
  consumption to 50 Colours for all images.

TODO - for the Fvwm Programmers
- What I'd like the fvwm-Programmers to do is to find a way (Should be
  pretty easy though) to integrate the pixmap automatically from the
  name of the application.
  By example, instead of having: 
  +               "%mini.fvwm.xpm%FvwmConfig" Module FvwmConfig
  just insert:
  +               "FvwmConfig" Module FvwmConfig
  And fvwm knows that the pixmaps is FvwmConfig.xpm, and the mini.icon
  is mini.FvwmConfig.xpm
  This would mean a lot of Pixmap renaming, but at least, if you
  already got some pixmaps for an application, fvwm recognises it
  right away without users to fiddle around for integrating new
  pixmaps. Wouldn't it be a good idea ?

For any hints and good-ideas, email me ;)
Have fun ...

-- 
*************************************************
*	It s not a trick :-) !! It s Linux   	*
*	      Smurphy, Email under: 		*
*	 [email-masked]		*
*	  [email-masked]		*
*         [email-masked]           *
*************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 18:06:59 -0500

>>>>> Joerg Mertin writes:

> * Just wanted to contribute a little bit to the fvwm-Stuff :)

While I haven't downloaded them yet, I do like to find new icons.

> - What I'd like the fvwm-Programmers to do is to find a way (Should
> be pretty easy though) to integrate the pixmap automatically from
> the name of the application.
> is mini.FvwmConfig.xpm [...] Wouldn't it be a good idea ?

Only if there's a way to turn it off.  Pixmaps look great in my
iconbox and in FvwmButtons.  I don't want them in my menus.

Thanks,
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation MS B020 202 Burlington Rd. Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Domain: [email-masked]  UUCP: {your neighborhood}!linus!mdf!dsg

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 09:43:43 -0500

>>>>> "Dave" == Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>> Joerg Mertin writes:

>> is mini.FvwmConfig.xpm [...] Wouldn't it be a good idea ?

Dave> Only if there's a way to turn it off.  Pixmaps look great in my
Dave> iconbox and in FvwmButtons.  I don't want them in my menus.

I meant to respond to Joerg's note yesterday, but didn't get a chance.

While some people might like this, I don't intend to put anything like
this in to FVWM.  I don't think that it's a good idea, because not
everyone will want it and the facility to put the pixmaps in if wanted
is already in there, so I see no need to change it.  Sorry.

A pointer to Joerg's 3d pixmaps will make it into the FAQ though.  And
a few of them might make it into the distribution.  I haven't looked
at them yet, but I'll probably put a few in there.  I don't want to
put all of them in there, as there are quite a bit.

Thanks,
Chuck