Subject: Re: FVWM: New & popup windows

From: [email-masked] (Mark B. Hamby)
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 15:12:58 -0600

I wrote:
>
> Q3: Does anyone have a .fvwmrc for Sun Open Windows or Microsoft
> Windows-95 look-alike setup?
> 

When I asked this question, I really was concerned about work-alike, not
necessarily look-alike.  Most users can almost instantaneously convert to a
new look as long as the icons, buttons, etc. are either similar or functionally
obvious.  However, it takes much longer for users to acclimate to changes in
the functions of mouse movements, buttons, key strokes, changes in window/menu
organization.  I was really interested in a .fvwmrc that provided a 
functionally similar environment to Open Windows and/or Windows-95.

I am VERY new to FVWM (2 days), but have find very few functions in Open
Windows that cannot be mimicked in FVWM.  The only one thus far that I have
found is the ability to "pin" transient windows to the desktop so that they
do not go away when a button on them is clicked.  This is a severe problem
for me as I run many OpenLook-based programs and have considered abandoning 
FVWM due to the lack of this feature.

FVWM is a wonderful (I repeat, wonderful) window manager.  But it still has
many deficiencies such as poor configuration/build procedures, 
obsolete/missing/poor documentation,  the lack of a good/standardized/commented 
system .fvwmrc, and several missing "It would be nice if..." features.

I would like to see efforts, including mine, be put into these problem areas
instead of making FVWM "look just like Windows-95."  I hope I have clarified
my inquiries.  No offense to Charles Hines on the excellant work he has done,
to Windows-95 afficionados, or to anyone else I might have pissed off. ;-)

Later,

Mark
_______________________________________________________________________________

           |\                                          Mark B. Hamby
           | \___________/////_             STAARS Software Engineer
           | /\          \\\\\`                          Logicon RDA
           |/  \ 
           /    \                                 [email-masked]
          /|     \                                    (913) 684-8784
          ||      \__  
          ||      |\__ 
          ||       |\__               A bending reed does not break.
          ||        |\                                   - Confusius
_______________________________________________________________________________
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].