Subject: FVWM: join list, RFC

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 1995 22:40:00 -0800 (PST)

I would like to join this mailing list.

----------------------------------------------------
Q:  Is anyone working on a configurator using an FvwmWish, like the one 
presented in 'The X Resource' issue fourteen?

	I've seen 'dotfile' but could not get it to function.  I was able
to use the interface, but it refused to generate the configuration file. 
I like the nested input thingys with the scissors and scrollbars.  It
seems to me that the easiest and fastest way to get a module up and
running would be to develop in Tcl/Tk/BLT/Expect/[incr Tcl]/TclX, 
extended as an FvwmModule, from reading the article.
	I'm new...  I'm not a programmer, YET.  I just got Brent B. 
Welch's book 'Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk', and issue fourteen of
'The X Resource'.  (I haven't read it yet.) I was intrigued by the idea of
being able to extend the window manager with easy to write scripts.  Have
you ever seen WinMacro and WinBatch for Windows, by Wilson WindowWare? 
(it's ShareWare- they also do WinEdit, which is THE BEST) I think Tcl/Tk
is MUCH better. 

	I am going to write a config module for Fantastic Virtual Window
Manager. 
	I think it should be sort of like the one of the Windose 
task-managers I've seen, with a launch button, tile and cascade, and 
'control-panel'.  It should be very modular to reduce the time it takes 
to load.  It would put each section of the rc file into a separate file 
maybe, in a ~/rc.fvwm subdirectory, and then link them all together at 
startup using FvwmM4 or FvwmCPP...  Perhaps an option for a global 
configuration...  A way to extend the menus on the fly, using 
drag-and-drop from a file-manager.

Q: (semi rhetorical): Would it be easier to use separate files or to put 
it all together into one big one?
A: I think the scripts will be split into module files to speed loading.  
The .fvwmrc file will get comments added to it, and be sectioned so that 
the configurator will be able to find out where to make changes, like a 
Windows .ini file.  And the module *ModuleameOption lines should go at 
the front of the file so it doesn't have to scan as far each time...  
Unless modules can have their own .rc files.  Please comment.

	Any input?  What other kinds of modules have people written?  On 
the release notes section of Netscape 2.0b3 they talk about a feature of 
the Win95 version of it where you can have an Internet shortcut icon on 
your desktop.  You drab a URL out of Netxcape and drop it on the desk.  I 
think that Fvwm could do something like that...  Please?
	Hmmm....  It would send out a message to a listening module
telling it about a drop action onto the desktop?  (or onto a module.)
I'm not a programmer, yet.

	First things first.  How do I compile a Tcl/Tk... or anything to
utilize shared DLL's ???  (what is a... uhmm, you know, uh, a... uhhmm...)
Beginner.
--
+---------------------------------+
| o    [email-masked]     o |
|      Portland, Oregon, USA      |
| o    Running Linux 1.2.8      o |
+---------------------------------+

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].