Subject: FVWM: Upgrading to FVWM 2

From: "Neil J. McRae" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 22:13:27 +0000

Hi,

I tried FVWM 2 a while ago, [atleast 8 months] and at the time the
.rc files where uncompatable, I believe there is a coverter? If so what 
is the best way to move to version 2, and where can I get it? :)

Neil.

--  [email-masked]                     Domino: In the glow of the night.  --
--  Free your computer and your <a href="http://www.NetBSD.ORG/">mind</a>  --
----------  The NetBSD Project: The best things in life are FREE!  ----------

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Gregory Margo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 19:02:17 -0800 (PST)

> is the best way to move to version 2, and where can I get it? :)

I saved the following shell script a while back, I think it came off a
newsgroup; not sure.  Use at your own risk, of course.

According to the header, this is "fvwmrc-to-2 1.7a":
}}# Convert fvwm 1.x configuration file to 2.0
}}# Originally written by Martin Kraemer <[email-masked]>
}}# Corrected, extended, and modified by Grant McDorman <[email-masked]>
}}# 24 May 95

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Gregory H. Margo                 No free speech restrictions on the Internet!
[email-masked]
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 08:43:23 -0500

>>>>> "Gregory" == Gregory Margo <[email-masked]> writes:

>> is the best way to move to version 2, and where can I get it? :)

Gregory> I saved the following shell script a while back, I think it came off a
Gregory> newsgroup; not sure.  Use at your own risk, of course.

Gregory> According to the header, this is "fvwmrc-to-2 1.7a":

And it's included in the current fvwm2 tar file for 2.0.38 available
from ftp.hpc.uh.edu in /pub/fvwm/version-2/.  And the FAQ is included
as well, which contains a chart of 1.xx to 2.xx equivalents.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email:                        "I have a paper plate in my head
  [email-masked],                   because they were all out of the
  HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1    metal ones" - Rick Overton
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Gregory Margo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 08:21:05 -0800 (PST)

> as well, which contains a chart of 1.xx to 2.xx equivalents.

Oops.  Right you are.  I found this out about 20 minutes after posting
the script, when I decided to look at building fvwm2 again.  It didn't
work out the first time I tried, but that was several patches ago,
and I didn't have time to investigate, not to mention that I'm no X guru.

As I'm new to this list, what sort of systems are people out there running
fvwm2 on?  Anyone using Linux/elf/xfree-3.1.2?

gm

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 11:56:59 -0500

>>>>> "gm" == Gregory Margo <[email-masked]> writes:

gm> Charles Hines said:
>> as well, which contains a chart of 1.xx to 2.xx equivalents.

gm> Oops.  Right you are.  I found this out about 20 minutes after
gm> posting the script, when I decided to look at building fvwm2
gm> again.  It didn't work out the first time I tried, but that was
gm> several patches ago, and I didn't have time to investigate, not to
gm> mention that I'm no X guru.

Well, it doesn't work 100% of the time.  But it does provide a good
start.

gm> As I'm new to this list, what sort of systems are people out there
gm> running fvwm2 on?  Anyone using Linux/elf/xfree-3.1.2?

I personally use AIX & Linux (ELF & XFree86-3.1.2).  I have compiled &
run it once under SunOS as well.

I've seen others: Solaris, HP-UX, OSF/1 (I think), SGI, etc.

Chuck

---

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 19:48:43 +0000 (GMT)

> I've seen others: Solaris, HP-UX, OSF/1 (I think), SGI, etc.

Personally I use linux/elf/XFree88-3.1.2, but I've compiled and used
fvwm extensively on HP700 and Solaris 2 mahcines.

Austin

---

From: Chris Rode <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 16:59:54 CST

[email-masked] writes:

} >>>>> "gm" == Gregory Margo <[email-masked]> writes:
} 
} gm> As I'm new to this list, what sort of systems are people out there
} gm> running fvwm2 on?  Anyone using Linux/elf/xfree-3.1.2?
} 
} I personally use AIX & Linux (ELF & XFree86-3.1.2).  I have compiled &
} run it once under SunOS as well.
} 
} I've seen others: Solaris, HP-UX, OSF/1 (I think), SGI, etc.

	i've compiled and run fvwm2 on a regular basis under dec ultrix
	4.3 and osf/1 2.1 and 3.2.

--chris

--
chris rode - [email-masked] - http://www.public.iastate.edu/~crode/
oh that i should be ever so lonely, drivin' the pain right through to my
heart, oh that i should be ever so lonely, ridin' the pain like a fool
in the dark --erasure, "rescue me" - "but i don't understand!" *sluurp!*
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].