Subject: FVWM: placement woes

From: Stephen Wray <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 23:09:50 +1300

Well, I've *nearly* got my .fvwm2rc doing all that my .fvwmrc did and
more. 

The only thing it doesn't do is to do with placement.

In the old fvwm, I used a combination of SloppyPlacement,
SmartPlacement and RandomPlacement, which meant that windows would
tend not to materialise over other windows or icons.

The FAQ says that SloppyPlacement has been "obsoleted".
I'd like to know by what it has been made obsolete, because the
SmartPlacement/RandomPlacement combo allows windows to materialise over
icons. 

I've been thru the mailing list archives and can see that this has
been a topic of some discussion. I'd like to know if this *important*
feature has been put back into fvwm?

One other thing -- the FAQ has the *address* of this mailing list, but
I didn't notice how to actually subscribe...?

---
**********************T***H***E***L***E***M***A**********************
 44. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of
    result, is every way perfect. -- LIBER AL vel LEGIS
******************************IN*LVX*********************************
Stephen Wray <[email-masked]>
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 09:31:18 -0500

>>>>> "Stephen" == Stephen Wray <[email-masked]> writes:

Stephen> Well, I've *nearly* got my .fvwm2rc doing all that my .fvwmrc
Stephen> did and more.

Stephen> The only thing it doesn't do is to do with placement.

Stephen> In the old fvwm, I used a combination of SloppyPlacement,
Stephen> SmartPlacement and RandomPlacement, which meant that windows
Stephen> would tend not to materialise over other windows or icons.

There is no such thing as SloppyPlacement in any version of fvwm that
I'm aware of (1.xx or 2.xx).  There is a SloppyFocus in both though,
but this isn't what you are describing.  I have to assume you mean
StubbornPlacement:

          StubbornPlacement
               When using SmartPlacement, causes new windows to avoid
               placing themselves over icons.

Stephen> The FAQ says that SloppyPlacement has been "obsoleted".  I'd
Stephen> like to know by what it has been made obsolete, because the
Stephen> SmartPlacement/RandomPlacement combo allows windows to
Stephen> materialise over icons.

Stephen> I've been thru the mailing list archives and can see that
Stephen> this has been a topic of some discussion. I'd like to know if
Stephen> this *important* feature has been put back into fvwm?

Well, it has been removed.  Why, I'm not certain, but it's not a lot
of code to reactivate it so I've added it to the TO-DO list.
Unfortunately it'll have to wait until I rewrite the Style related
code to handle more styles (which may be why it dissappeared).

(I know many of you are thinking "he keeps saying that, but when's it
gonna happen?"  I'll get to it eventually, but it's going to be a big
project and I don't have the time to do it just yet, plus I still need
to get the first "official" release out the door.  I do have some
[hopefully] good ideas about how to implement it though.)

Stephen> One other thing -- the FAQ has the *address* of this mailing
Stephen> list, but I didn't notice how to actually subscribe...?

How'd I miss that?  Well, it's in there now.

Chuck