Subject: FVWM: fvwm2: opening windows at start time?

From: Jeff Earickson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 14:59:11 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

   I've just converted from fvwm 1.24 to 2.0b38.  I never claimed to 
understand everything about 1.24, so my transition to 2.0 is even more
confusing.  Questions:

1) if modules in 2.0 don't exist (eg, GoodStuff and FvwmAuto) do I just
   fire up the 1.24 version?

2) I want applications ( like xterm windows, xloads, netscape) to always
   start up at initialization time.  How do I do this from within .fvwm2rc?
   Can I do this?  With version 1.24, I always launched my startup X apps
   into the background, before starting fvwm, from within .xinitrc.  This
   always caused me problems at shutdown time because xterms would not die
   nicely when fvwm did, hanging my console window.  I hope that I can do
   everything from within .fvwm2rc.  How?

I look forward to a FAQ posted on the FVWM webpage...

** Jeff A. Earickson, Ph.D                         PHONE: 207-872-3659
** Senior UNIX Sysadmin, Information Technology    EMAIL: [email-masked]
** Colby College, 4214 Mayflower Hill,               FAX: 207-872-3555
** Waterville ME, 04901-8842

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 17:03:51 -0500

>>>>> "Jeff" == Jeff Earickson <[email-masked]> writes:

Jeff> Hi,
Jeff>    I've just converted from fvwm 1.24 to 2.0b38.

Welcome aboard.

Jeff> I never claimed to understand everything about 1.24, so my
Jeff> transition to 2.0 is even more confusing.  Questions:

Jeff> 1) if modules in 2.0 don't exist (eg, GoodStuff and FvwmAuto) do
Jeff>    I just fire up the 1.24 version?

Nope.  Goodstuff has been replaced by FvwmButtons.  FvwmAuto is still
there though...

Jeff> 2) I want applications ( like xterm windows, xloads, netscape)
Jeff>    to always start up at initialization time.  How do I do this
Jeff>    from within .fvwm2rc?  Can I do this?  With version 1.24, I
Jeff>    always launched my startup X apps into the background, before
Jeff>    starting fvwm, from within .xinitrc.  This always caused me
Jeff>    problems at shutdown time because xterms would not die nicely
Jeff>    when fvwm did, hanging my console window.  I hope that I can
Jeff>    do everything from within .fvwm2rc.  How?

You can use "AddToFunc InitFunction" to start whatever you want.  Take
a look at the sample system.fvwmrc included in the distribution.

Jeff> I look forward to a FAQ posted on the FVWM webpage...

There is a FAQ in the 2.xx distribution, although I just realized that
I never put any explicit mention of GoodStuff being replaced in
there...  Take a look at it, and the man pages as well.

And please keep in mind that fvwm2 is still in a beta state and hasn't
been officially released yet.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
and Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email: [email-masked],
                    HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1

 "I have a paper plate in my head because they were all out of the metal ones"
                                                        - Rick Overton
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].