Subject: FVWM: compiling fvwm

From: [email-masked] (Chad Coulliette)
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 19:15:25 -0800 (PST)

Hello Everyone,

I just recently discovered fvwm and am trying to install it on a
SunOS 4.1.2 1 sun4c, which is a fairly common architecture.

When I try to compile fvwm 1.24 or fvwm 2.0b there are hundreds of
errors of this type...
 
cc -O -pipe           -c CatString3.c -o CatString3.o
"CatString3.c", line 12: syntax error at or near type word "char"
"CatString3.c", line 14: a undefined
"CatString3.c", line 14: b undefined
"CatString3.c", line 14: c undefined
 
and 

./../../libs/fvwmlib.h", line 1: syntax error at or near type word "char"
"./../../libs/fvwmlib.h", line 2: syntax error at or near type word "char"
"./../../libs/fvwmlib.h", line 3: syntax error at or near type word "char"
"./../../libs/fvwmlib.h", line 4: syntax error at or near type word "char"
"./../../libs/fvwmlib.h", line 5: syntax error at or near type word "int"
"./../../libs/fvwmlib.h", line 6: syntax error at or near type word "int"
"./../../libs/fvwmlib.h", line 7: syntax error at or near type word "int"
"./../../libs/fvwmlib.h", line 8: syntax error at or near type word "char"
"./../../libs/fvwmlib.h", line 9: syntax error at or near type word "int"

Is this because I am specifying the cc compiler instead of gcc? 

I also attempted to install libXpm to get the color icons but got this
error

(cd .; ld -o ./libXpm.so.3.0~ -assert pure-text data.o create.o
misc.o rgb.o scan.o parse.o hashtable.o XpmCrBufFrI.o XpmCrDataFrP.o
XpmCrPFrBuf.o XpmRdFToI.o XpmWrFFrI.o XpmCrBufFrP.o XpmCrIFrBuf.o
XpmCrPFrData.o XpmRdFToP.o XpmWrFFrP.o XpmCrDataFrI.o XpmCrIFrData.o
XpmRdFToData.o XpmWrFFrData.o )
ld: unrecognized -a option `ssert'
make[1]: *** [libXpm.so.3.0] Error 1

I am using the gnu ld, and there is no -assert option.  Is -format
the correct substitution for -assert?  Is gcc also necessary when
compiling libXpm?

One last question, what is the latest stable version of fvwm? 
Everything I read on the www or at ftp sites says something
different.  Is there a non-beta release of fvwm 2.0 and where could
I get it?

Thanks,

Chad
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 1995 13:58:27 +0900

chadc> Is this because I am specifying the cc compiler instead of gcc? 

You cannot compile fvwm with cc which comes from SunOS 4.1.x
(I think it should be listed to FAQ, but not yet).

chadc> One last question, what is the latest stable version of fvwm? 

Latest version is pre-2.0-patchlevel-38, and you can found it as
"fvwm-2.0.38.tar.gz". But it's difficult to decide what's the latest
STABLE version...

- -
Makoto 'MAR_kun' MATSUSHITA
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 09:22:44 -0500

>>>>> "Matsushita-san" == matusita  <[email-masked]> writes:

Matsushita-san> You cannot compile fvwm with cc which comes from SunOS
Matsushita-san> 4.1.x (I think it should be listed to FAQ, but not
Matsushita-san> yet).

Good idea - It's in there now, and in the INSTALL file.

Matsushita-san> Latest version is pre-2.0-patchlevel-38, and you can
Matsushita-san> found it as "fvwm-2.0.38.tar.gz". But it's difficult
Matsushita-san> to decide what's the latest STABLE version...

The latest 'stable' version is 1.24r.  2.xx has not been officially
released and is still in the beta state, which by definition is not
stable...

Chuck