Subject: FVWM: fvwm2.0: please don't use basename()

From: Frederic Devernay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 15:22:28 +0100

in fvwm 2.0.39:
I think basename() is a non-standard function, I didn't find it on SunOS 4
and using it on SGI requires using an additional library (-lgen). Since
this is only used in fvwm.c for usage printing, maybe it could just be
removed from there, or a basename() function could be added to libfvwm.a...

Fred
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 01:16:41 -0600 (CST)

> removed from there, or a basename() function could be added to libfvwm.a...

Yes, I tried compiling it on SunOS5 and couldn't find it either.

I'm not sure what it is supposed to do; is there a substitute?

-- 
<a href=mailto:[email-masked]>Todd T. Fries</a>
<a href=http://www.cs.umr.edu/~tfries/>My Homepage!</a>
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Frederic Devernay <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 09:36:28 +0100

> I'm not sure what it is supposed to do; is there a substitute?

it removes the leading directory names from a filename, keeping just
the file name itself.

a substitute could easily be written, but the simplest is to simply
remove it from fvwm.c, the function usage() becoming:

void usage(void)
{
  fprintf(stderr,"\nFvwm Version %s Usage:\n\n",VERSION);
  fprintf(stderr,"  %s [-d dpy] [-debug] [-f config_cmd] [-s] [-blackout] [-version] [-h]\n",g_argv[0]);
}

Fred